PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: The Movie - 20th Anniversary Edition in November!!

Beast
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Looks like the movie is finally going to be getting the special edition treatment it deserves on DVD. And hopefully the film will be in Widescreen, given that Rhino claimed that there were no surviving prints of the Widescreen version of the film. According to the press release, the release is timed as a promotional push for Michael Bay's forthcoming live action film, which is due out next year. They haven't released the full list of extras as of yet, but the release will feature never-before-seen footage, interviews, interactive games, and collectible packaging, along with the film's soundtrack on CD. It will be hitting at the same time as the new Transformers Classics line of action figures from Hasbro. :)

SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT USHERS IN A NEW ERA OF TRANSFORMERS-MANIA WITH TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION DVD

Icons OPTIMUS PRIME and MEGATRON Star in Special Edition DVD to Hit Retail Shelves This Holiday Season

New York, New York, May 30, 2006 - When MEGATRON said, “It’s over Prime,” he had it all wrong. This fall, the home entertainment group of SONY BMG Music Entertainment pulls out all the stops for the 20th Anniversary of the pop culture phenomenon and original theatrical release, TRANSFORMERS: The Movie with an explosive special edition DVD.

The new DVD marks the return of the out-of-this world animated big screen bonanza that catapulted the likes of OPTIMUS PRIME, MEGATRON, STARSCREAM, SOUNDWAVE and even the DINOBOTS into pop culture icons. The TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will be packed with premium features and behind-the-scenes footage developed with input by and for TRANSFORMERS fans across the country.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will tap into the huge, multi-generational TRANSFORMERS fan base. The special edition DVD will power into retail stores across North America in November 2006 -- just in time for the holiday gift giving season.

“The TRANSFORMERS franchise continues to thrive across multiple platforms, and we are excited to celebrate this pop culture phenomenon with a compelling new DVD tribute,” said Jim Wilson, Executive Vice President, General Manager of Home Entertainment for SONY BMG. “By teaming with TRANSFORMERS fans, we have developed an exclusive product with premium content and special features that will be sure to attract fans of all ages.”

The 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD includes never-before-seen footage, exclusive interviews, interactive games and collectible packaging. The film features the voice of Orson Welles in his final role, as well as stars Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, John Moschitta, Peter Cullen, and Frank Welker. The DVD also features a winning soundtrack featuring the iconic theme "The TRANSFORMERS" performed by Lion, and the popular "The Touch," performed by Stan Bush.

For more information on TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD log onto www.TRANSFORMERSthemovieDVD.com.

To coincide with the special edition DVD release, this fall Hasbro will pay a special tribute to the rich history captured in the saga that is MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE with the TRANSFORMERS Classics line of figures. Available in November 2006, these new figures will feature updated versions of the first generation of TRANSFORMERS (or “G1”), inspired by the look and spirit of the original figures and characters.

El Chuxter
05-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Excellent news! I'm crossing my fingers for three things:

1) The soundtrack will be expanded, or at least nicely remastered, and not the one we all already have.

2) Widescreen!

3) This means the Transformers and (more importantly for me, since I'm still missing several) GIJoe cartoons are no longer in legal limbo.

figrin bran
05-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Excellent news! I'm crossing my fingers for three things:

3) This means the Transformers and (more importantly for me, since I'm still missing several) GIJoe cartoons are no longer in legal limbo.

i'm crossing my fingers with you Chux on the last one. WHY did i have to assume those GI Joe and TF sets would be around forever and i can take my time buying them???

Tycho will probably be in here shortly to rehash his argument on why the movie was the worst thing ever for TF's ;)

JimJamBonds
05-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Any idea on a price???

Kidhuman
06-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Good news, I will with out a doubt purchase this. I have the VHS copy, but DVD will be sweet.

Exhaust Port
06-01-2006, 09:51 AM
It's going to be hard to beat the previous DVD release of this movie with all those extras and.......Hmmmmm.....stuff. No wait, it won't be difficult at all. I'm really looking forward to this release and hoping that it doesn't let us down.

Banthaholic
06-02-2006, 12:37 AM
This is awesome news. I have the VHS release. As a kid I remember renting this movie and literally watching it 7 times in a row. I started right when I got up, and waged my own battle for Cybertron as the movie kept playing.

I hope they have some cool extras. Maybe a documentary on the deaths from the war would be cool. Between SW and this, it'll be one awesome fall.

Droid
06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Tycho will probably be in here shortly to rehash his argument on why the movie was the worst thing ever for TF's ;)

I don't know Tycho's specific arguments, but he is right that the movie was the worst thing ever for Transformers.

Just imagine if Empire Strikes Back had opened with Luke, Han, and Leia dying, Darth Vader being put into a new body, and they had introduced all new characters that we had never seen before to dominate the rest of the story. AND THEN DEFEND THIS HORRIBLE MOVIE.

Exhaust Port
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I actually commend the writers for killing of major characters. Hollywood is so safe and predictable in their writing that it's quite a bold move to pull no punches and have major characers bite the dust, especially at the beginning of a movie.

This is why I think stories like A Band of Brothers is so amazing to watch. All the men involved were just as likely to get killed that first day. The way they presented it (not naming the old men in the interviews until the last episode) we didn't know who was going to live or die, that's real. Killing off a few main characters in the TF movie set the tone that this movie wasn't going to protect even the most beloved characters.

Folks seem to fear change especially when it comes to their movies. The TF movie changed everything which is a big risk but it needs to be done from time to time. If you hate that movie you are going to really hate the new TF movie. It seems that we are going too see a lot of the characters in new bodies. Up to the original TF movie we were never introduced to that aspect of the TF life cycle (with the first TF episode being the acception). I find it odd that someone would brand that movie as HORRIBLE because the bodies changed when that's what the TF's do, they change over the eons.

Droid
06-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Folks seem to fear change especially when it comes to their movies. The TF movie changed everything which is a big risk but it needs to be done from time to time. If you hate that movie you are going to really hate the new TF movie. It seems that we are going too see a lot of the characters in new bodies. Up to the original TF movie we were never introduced to that aspect of the TF life cycle (with the first TF episode being the acception). I find it odd that someone would brand that movie as HORRIBLE because the bodies changed when that's what the TF's do, they change over the eons.

I think that it is great to kill a major character. They could have killed MANY major characters and it would have been neat. Kill Optimus and let the characters we knew and loved mourn them. But to bring in all these new Transformers, like we were supposed to know who they were or have any connection to them, and then act like they had been there all along was crap. (I know, I know. It was years AFTER the original generation of the TV show, but they didn't have to set it during that time period).

They killed so many original show characters as an afterthought, without anyone really mourning them. There was one shot were that new stupid Pink Transformer girl looked at Rachet or Wheeljack or someone ith horror on her face, but we didn't even get so much as seeing their deaths or hearing someone say, "Oh my God, you killed Wheeljack, you bastards!"

And they didn't really have ANY of the old characters as major characters in the movies. Jazz, Bumblebee, and Grimlock were in it some, but almost every single character from the TV show was shoved aside.

And you are telling me about how Transformers change over time. They didn't do that except the first episode of the TV show as you point out. And the Transformers that took new bodies in the movie didn't do it as part of typical Transformer evolution, but because Unicron did it.

And funny how nobody mentioned the Matrix one time in the original show prior to that movie as important as it was. And a magic boxis a pretty lame fantasy plot device in what had been kind of a scifi technological show.

And if you want to discuss what was established on the TV show, remember how much effort went into creating new Transformers (either the Dinobots or the Arielbots, I can't remember)? They had to go to Cybertron to give them a soul or something, I don't remember the specifics of the episode. But in this movie, it's all new characters, here they are. Forget everyone you knew.

People complain Star Wars was all about selling toys, well Transformers the Movie definitely was because it was just rolling out the next line and they killed everyone we knew before so that not a frame of film was wasted showing someone who wasn't a new toy.

Even as a young child I despised this movie like no movie I had ever seen before. What a let down.

And I probably will hate the new Transformers movie. If it isn't about the original characters in their original bodies then I'll probably skip it. Optimus Prime the Hummer! Soundwave the Ipod!

El Chuxter
06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
The Matrix was taken from the comic book, but apparently misinterpreted pretty greatly. It was originally supposed to be a computer program that resided in the Autobot commander and was the only source for new Transformer life. (Don't ask me where new Decepticons came from.) Later issues (in the early 90s) re-interpreted it to explain that it was the life force of Primus, similar to what's in the movie.

I think Hasbro saw this as an opportunity to kill a bunch of characters and replace them with new characters we'd all run out and buy. They seriously underestimated the love kids had for Prime and the other casualties. The story is that the backlash was so great, they changed the GIJoe movie at the last minute to write out the death of Duke. (Watch it sometime. Why the hell is everyone crying so hard when they say, "Duke's going to be all right"?)

I hated it as a kid for killing off several of my favorites, but over the years I've realized it's actually a good movie despite that.

And, of course, there's the greatest line in film history:

"Me, Grimlock, kick butt!"

Tycho
06-06-2006, 03:27 PM
OK, I didn't HATE Transformers: The Movie (the cartoon one from the 80's), but I do agree with the assessment that it served as a major toy seller, and out with the old, in with the new.

OPTIMUS PRIME is Superman to the Transformers. You DO NOT take him out - or especially in the only movie version. Having the show (that followed the movie) center on Rodimus Prime's struggle to develop into a good leader was alright - except he never did develop there. Ultra Magnus would have been a better choice all along - however, the toy was never that great. Meanwhile, Rodimus' origins as Hot Rod (a cool character as a punk kid Autobot) were less than inspiring for an Autobot leader. That's like saying Sideswipe was next in line to take over the G1 gang. Uh-huh.

If they wanted to have a twist-in-the-plot, KUP might have been reconfigured into a new Autobot leader even. Hot Rod was a pure "let's pander to the kids choice." Like I said, I do like Hot Rod, but not as an Autobot LEADER.

I think the Decepticon Megatron / Galvatron change and Cyclonus, Scourge, and the Sweeps was actually nicely done. The transformation could have been more detailed and hardware based rather than done as some kind of CAD drawing remake via Unicron (he still could have done it, but surgically, with his arsenol of machines).

But the getting into all these futuristic vehicles that don't really exist, further promoting plastic Transformers away from the metal ones (or metal-finish ones) sucked. Look what they were able to do with Alternators and 20th Anniversary TRADTIONAL Prime!!! They could have done these years ago - don't tell me they couldn't have.

Then they could have re-sold the same characters and even kept Optimus Prime as the Superman of Transformers.

El Chuxter
11-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Mine came in the mail today! I'm a bit disappointed that the animated insert wasn't a cover, as was originally stated. Maybe it was too costly. No biggie.

So, who's figured out the Disc 2 Easter Egg? (Disc 1's is a set of three Japanese Diaclone commercials; go to the top of the main menu and press left twice. This will highlight the Autobrand, and hit "OK" or "Enter" when it's highlighted.)

El Chuxter
11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Didn't find the Disc 2 Easter Egg, but I went through most of the extras. Here's my thoughts:

THE SPECTACULAR:
The widescreen presentation is gorgeous. Since it's reasonably priced, it's worth picking up even if you got the Rhino version.
I was a bit surprised to see the side-by-side of the restoration, but it shows how much nicer the colors are, and haven't been since 1986.
The featurettes on voice acting and the death of Prime are quite well-done.
TV ads and the original trailer. However, man, I'd forgotten how completely lousy they were. Yeesh! We saw these and went to the theater? lol
The preview of the live action film wasn't much, but it looks great! And Spielberg himself praising it means a lot, I think. I'm not quite in the Tycho camp, but I'm back to watching this opening weekend, I think.
Though I doubt I'm double-dipping on something so expensive, there's a trailer for the 2007 DVD re-release of the original series, which is great news for everyone who didn't get the whole set before.
THE ODD/UNDERWHELMING
Commentary by (and extensive interviews on the features with) Sue Blu? Sue Who? Nothing against her, but, uh, they only have one voice actor, and it's Arcee? WTF? They couldn't find Judd Nelson drunk in an alley somewhere? Cullen and Welker were unavailable?
The extras from the Rhino release aren't here. They weren't stellar, but it'd be nice to include them.
A lot of the archival stuff is boring! Did they need to include 15 minutes of test footage for the credits?
The "cut footage" isn't much, and it can't be viewed without a rather dull commentary that tells you how the light is 1/1,000,000 of a millimeter off kilter.
A rather cool-looking Japanese-only episode of the cartoon, which bridges the gap between Season 2 and TF:TM is included. However, it can only be viewed with fan commentary. I don't want to speak ill of these guys, but shouldn't folks who run TF fan sites know the name of the damned volcano, and have more insight to the original series than "it wasn't very good; over the years you forget all the details"? You're recording commentary for a milestone of geek culture here. Have the decency to re-watch the frigging show! (And, c'mon, would it have been so hard to include it with subtitles instead of commentary?)
In both these commentaries, it's really clear that the folks recording commentary have no idea that, on the final DVD, we won't be able to hear sound effects and voices. "Soundwave sounds like the American version, even though it's a Japanese guy. Starscream, on the other hand, is nothing like what we heard here." Nice to know, when I'm watching two totally mute Transformers.
All the character art on the discs are taken from Dreamwave comic books, mainly the More Than Meets the Eye series. Not exactly bad, but it seems quite odd to use these images rather than new material or more classic imagery.
All of the classic toy commercials have the kids' faces totally blurred out. Wait, did I say the faces? In most cases, it's the area around the faces, as well as the general vicinity for several frames after the scene has changed. Further, a commercial for the mail-away contest has not only the address blurred out, but sound effects really choppily replacing the voiceover reading the address. I mean, I can see where they're coming from here, but, Christ, if you can't do a halfway decent job of it, don't include the frigging commercials!
Okay, I'm sure it sounds like I'm b****ing a lot, but only because it's much easier to nitpick. The pros definitely outweigh the cons (not the 'Cons :)) here. Pick it up immediately, and play Prime's final battle. That is some of the greatest action and animation in film history.

Tycho
12-22-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm very glad I bought the new DVD of this. The movie had its plot flaws and I've put my 2 cents into this thread about that before, not to mention Droid did a great job explaining it all. But I love a Transformers movie having a heavy metal soundtrack. They should keep those tunes and integrate them into Michael Bay's film, if nothing else, to give it one more chance at a save.

DarthQuack
06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Just watched this again tonight after seeing Revenge of the Fallen today.

Still a decent flick to watch. I love the soundtrack! I also didn't like how Optimus bought it, for one, and two for it being really early in the film. I guess I was really surprised they killed off Wheeljack, Ironhide, Ratchet :(