PDA

View Full Version : The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

UKWildcat
06-01-2006, 01:57 AM
This is a great article put out by PC World. Can you all guess what #1 is? I know I can. This is actually very informative... and scary.

The List (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2616&ncid=2616&e=27&u=/pcworld/20060526/tc_pcworld/125772)

Kidhuman
06-01-2006, 02:21 AM
#1 is damn true. Whho the hell would want a wearable DVD player?

figrin bran
06-01-2006, 02:22 AM
haha! i should've known THAT entity which shall remain nameless (especially since it shares initials with another entity we've come to dislike over the past 2 months or so) got the #1 spot.

plasticfetish
06-01-2006, 02:41 AM
AOL deserves much, much (much) hate.

I'm surprised that the Packard Bell PC (circa 1994) didn't make the list at all. They were total crap, and so many people (me, my friends and family) were suckered into buying them. Though I suppose I never would have learned how to dismantle and rebuild a PC if it wasn't for Packard Bell. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
06-01-2006, 02:50 AM
AOL deserves much, much (much) hate.

So much I decicated a thread to them a few years back...

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22954&highlight=hell

2-1B
06-01-2006, 02:53 AM
I hope I didn't play any Sony BMG CDs on my computer. :cry:

UKWildcat
06-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Whho the hell would want a wearable DVD player?
Not a clue. lol

Softram - I always new that product was complete and utter crap and I was glad to see it rank high on the list.

LusiferSam
06-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Some of those are pretty funny. I'm surprised the Apple round mouse only a (dis)honorable mention. That thing was terrible. Several of the PC only items I hadn't heard of. Oh well, they're dead and gone.

JediTricks
06-01-2006, 04:59 PM
AOL is perfect for #1, I've been on the web professionally for 10 years and have heard more problems from AOL users than any other combined, plus some of those who stick with it end up somehow mentally-challenged, AOL users can be the worst when trying to figure out why they can't get such-and-such to work (usually because they didn't know they had to CLICK A LINK!!!!)

Real Player is a sad story, they had a great product at first and turned it into a real disaster, I don't even have Real on my computer at all at this point.

Windows ME, I knew better and watched as friends suffered problems for years, one friend lost EVERYTHING on his computer.

I love the part about IE6, as it's STILL a friggin' disaster.

I have a Zip drive on my old computer, never had any problems with it, never heard of anybody who did either.

I remember the OQO mini computer, it looked cool in theory but the price was ridiculous, I'm not surprised it turned out to be a turd.

Wearable DVD player, hilarious!

Apple game console? Wow, that's totally new to me, something I would have taken notice of too. Must be a real loser.

Besides the Digiscents Ismell, another company tried to make a flavor version of the concept, download flavors onto a wafer! That never caught on either.

The Sharp RD3D Notebook sounds kinda cool, 3-D effect without glasses, it's too bad it didn't work quite right.

Haw haw, the Newton sucks!

Another lame product, the Puck mouse is behated by me.

I remember the Circuit City DiVX DVD players, I ragged on them since pretty much the moment I heard about them, and NEVER stopped.

Funny how the Motorola Rokr is on there, it JUST came out.

I was enamored with the idea of the Timex Data Link watch, thought about getting one even.

Remember what I said about AOL and its users? WebTV is like that but more laugh-inducing. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I have AOL . . . it's not great. We keep meaning to change but never do.

I had Windows ME up until about six months ago; when it was on the computer, we lost everything about three times or so, and XP works a hell of a lot better.

plasticfetish
06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Mmm. I'm running Windows ME right now and have been for a while. I've never had any real problems, other than the usual Windows junk. (...but I'm also aware of the limitations of the OS and my computer.) I've had hardware failure, but I'm not about to blame Windows ME for that.

IE6.0 isn't nearly the worst browser out there... I'd give Netscape that honor.

Problems tend to go away when AOL goes away from your computer. It always seems to amaze people when they ditch AOL, reformat their HD (which you have to do to get rid of AOL) and then they aren't having tons of problems. (The browser that comes with AOL is and always has been a nightmare also.)

The only problem with ZIP drives, is that they're slowly piling up at all the thrift stores. I've never had one, or a disk, die on me.

The iMac puck mouse was good for kids, but that's about it. I'd say it's worst problem was that it's cord was weirdly short. Other than that, it wasn't terrible... just not great.

seanmcfripp
06-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Oh man, poor WebTV. My great aunt had WebTV for years, and she loved it.

I'm suprised there was no mention of betamax anywhere. I guess there was nothing wrong with quality per se, but beta sure has become a punchline over the years.

2-1B
06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Me too Sean, my great-aunt had it and as far as I know she still might. lol

I'm running ME on this computer too, and it's not a big problem for me...my newer computer in the other room is of a more modern setting, though. :D

Banthaholic
06-02-2006, 12:17 AM
I totally agree with AOL. I once moved and didn't have the disc available for the ISP I wanted to use and thought it'd be easy to just use the AOL trial CD then download the ISP software I needed from that particular website. When I went to cancel AOL, the guy was an arse. We was like you only used are service for 19 minutes how do you know you don't like it. I told him that I didn't know if I liked it, but I didn't like his attitude or AOL keeping stats on my usage and that alone made me want to cancel. :)

Real player is the devil. I'm not a fan and the first thing I did when I got my new pc was to unistall it. I've never been a fan and have had some poor luck with it.

I laughed seeing DIVX as an honorable mention. I guess someone had to win out. I'm sure in the 80's a similar poll would have had Beta on it.

JimJamBonds
06-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I've had contact with a few of those stinkers... and I even remember a few more that I never had. What some carp!

InsaneJediGirl
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
AOL deserves to be #1,and I'm glad they were stuck at the top. I've had the same problem Banathaholic,including them even charging after the service was cancelled long before the free trial period ended.

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Beta is superior technology to VHS, but Sony was too confident and wanted too much control over their Betamax technology, so when JVC offered other manufacturers an easier-to-license open-sharing alternative in the form of VHS, Sony choked the life out of Beta. Think of it like IBM PC vs Apple (Beta survives to this day, just not in the home market), it's not that Apple hardware was inferior to PC, just that Apple was too inflexible to let others build hardware and software for their computers, and that's how PC became 90% of the world's home computer format. Same thing is happening with Sony's Blu-Ray DVD vs HD-DVD which is cheaper and available to more manufacturers without Sony's licensing fees and such.

seanmcfripp
06-05-2006, 07:21 PM
My Uncle was a beta snob back in the early '80s. I remember watching his version of The Wrath of Khan and making fun of the weird, small cassette, only to be lectured on betamax's superiority. I think anyone not in the know would consider beta to be a joke, hence the constant bashing throughout the run of the Simpsons. If Homer was dumb enough to buy a betamax player, then I think beta definitely qualifies for placement on that list somewhere.