07-24-2006, 07:14 AM
For best I got to go with Leia.

Worst has got to be the Sentinal.

El Chuxter
07-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Best: Droopy
Worst: Sy

Best: Mara
Worst: Leia (Can't hold her saber, cape doesn't stay on)

Banthaholic
07-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Best: Grand Admiral Thrawn

Worst: Kyle Katarn

Jaff
07-25-2006, 04:21 AM
It's always interesting to see how folks react to EU items. Many will tell you they love it, some are neutral, and others like me seem to avoid it. I may be opening up a big can of worms, but I'm interested in what you folks think about EU. Some have recently called it rubbish, and I am frankly torn about it. I read every book up until the Han Solo trilogy. I thought Truce at Bakura was written by a poor pedantering novelist, and Mara Jade was a weak character which hurt the Thrawn trilogy (I adored Thrawn though). I mean she was playing a weakling and answering someone's beck and call to get close to Luke and then she's sobbing about it for years because she missed the chance. This "so called" hand of the emperor seemed to have little ability or threat, just bruised feelings. The games = I played them all until a few years ago. I had tons of respect for the Han Solo Trilogy. That trilogy, like splinter of the minds eye, I saw as Star Wars Cannon. But in the end I ignore all the EU because so many book ideas feel desperately contrived in many areas. Then there is the holy grail of stupidity: Tales of the bounty hunters. In this book the tale of Zuckuss and 4-LOM is great. IG-88 was interesting. Then there was Boba. He fell in the Sarlacc, talked to a Jedi Ghost before climbing out, and wouldn't you know it, there's Dengar, who says - "Hey can you be my best man at my wedding Boba?" Sorry, but that is embarrasing and silly. I think SW EU should be critically screened and connected. Comics, books, and games do not all match up storyline wise, and although many concepts are cool they must be at a very high standard not just in a few chapters or issues, but every single one. I can appreciate that EU is out there for many, but I don't enjoy it that much. It's boring to me, but enough about what I think, what do you think?

Oh, and by the way here is our new results for the wave that brought my question on.

BEST
Darktrooper 3
Grand Admiral Thrawn 4
Leia Organa Solo 1
Mara Jade 1

WORST
Imperial Sentinal 5
Kyle Katarn 3
Leia Organa Solo 1

Jaff
07-25-2006, 04:23 AM
2 more cinema scenes came out near the end of the year, and one more beast assortment that turned out to be one of the rarest items of the POTF line. The Cantina and Jedi Spirit three pack were very common, but Han with Tauntaun still commands a respectable value.

12/98
Yoda (Jedi Spirits Three Pack)
Anakin Skywalker (Jedi Spirits Three Pack)
Ben Kenobi (Jedi Spirits Three Pack)
Takeel (Classic Cantina Three Pack)
Labria (Classic Cantina Three Pack)
Nabrun Leids (Classic Cantina Three Pack)
Hoth Han Solo (Tauntaun beast assortment)

So which is your BEST and WORST pick out of this group of figs?

Jaff
07-25-2006, 04:26 AM
Yoda (Jedi Spirits Three Pack) - Soap Yoda is frosted and fine looking, but he is no way a notable figure.
Anakin Skywalker (Jedi Spirits Three Pack) - Just like Yoda, heís frosty, and a good addition. I consider him my vintage Anakin version because Anakin was only seen as a ghost in ROTJ.
Ben Kenobi (Jedi Spirits Three Pack) - The frost really made this fig a better version. The OTC version still didnít look right. Right now this is the best Ben spirit we got IMO.
Takeel (Classic Cantina Three Pack) - Itís cool to have Takeel, but this figure sure is plain. He is boring, but heís a cantina alien which makes him awesome.
Labria (Classic Cantina Three Pack) - I was expecting more from Labria, and now that they are just repainting this fig and releasing it again I fear this sculpt will be the best we have, even with a new repaint. Still Iím glad heís made, and I donít dislike this fig.
Nabrun Leids (Classic Cantina Three Pack) - Truly the best of the best. Now that heís going to receive a repaint Iím sure he will have improvement, but I would have been happy if they had never remade him.
Hoth Han Solo (Tauntaun beast assortment) - The Han finally had his hood up, but still had that brown coat, making him a useless figure to me. I hate to say this, but I sold this beast assortment at a garage sale when I bought my Hoth 4 pack with the open belly tauntaun. I use the Saga Han on it.

BEST - Nabrun Leids: A unique, awesome figure!

WORST - Hoth Han: At the time he was better than the first Hoth Han, but that brown coat just drove me nuts. Every time I watch ESB I can see that heĎs wearing a blue coat!

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 04:58 AM
Best: Nabrun

Worst: Han, see Jaff's comments.

sebillba
07-25-2006, 05:15 AM
Best - LABRIA... one of my favourite Cantina aliens, and whilst not perfect, I thought they did a nice job.

Worst - SPIRIT OBI-WAN... an improvement on the first version, but still a rehash.

dindae
07-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Nabrun Leids - best

Labria - worst I just was very disappointed in this figure. I look forward to the repaint it will fix the major beef I have with the character.

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Best: Nabrun Leids

Worst: Spirit Obi-Wan

Darth Jax
07-25-2006, 08:17 AM
best labria

worst nabrun - to me he looks like an extra in an s&m film, just not star wars so i have no use for him. won't stop me from getting the repaint since i don't have the cantina aliens set. takeel seemed rather plain as well so i passed on it, didn't want to pay for 3 figures when i only liked one of them.

Rogue II
07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Best: Nabrun Leids

Worst: Spirit Obi-Wan (the whole set was pretty "meh")

TheDarthVader
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Worst: Han in Hoth Gear

tagmac
07-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Wasn't really impressed by this group, but I could have sworn Han had the blue coat in this one. Thus, I have to make my best Han w/ Tauntaun. The hood up, coupled with the figure's rarity (it took me months to find one at an EB Games store) make it tops this time around.

Worst: Spirit Yoda - he was the least impressive of all of these.

Bosskman
07-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Best - Nabrun
Worst - Ghost Ben (only because I had to pick one)

Mad Slanted Powers
07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
BEST - Tough choice, but I think I will take Labria over Nabrun
WORST - Spirt Ben. I don't like the way his chest seems to be puffed out, and his facial expression doesn't seem to fit the scene.

Slicker
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Best - Han

Worst - Can I say the ENTIRE Cantina Aliens 3 pack since they technically all came together? If not then I'll go with labria. That pack sucked Mike Hawk.

Jaff
07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
BEST
Nabrun Leids 7
Labria 3
Han Hoth (Tauntaun) 2

WORST
Han Hoth (Tauntaun) 3
Spirit of Obi-Wan 5
Spirit of Yoda 1
Labria 2
Nabrun Leids 1

Jaff
07-26-2006, 11:36 PM
In the second to the last poll for 1998 we must now cover the exclusive figures for the year, and a sneak preview figure that was pretty common. The mail away figures were surely some of the most exciting figures made to date, Oola, and Muftak!

7/98
Oola and Salacious Crumb (Star Wars fan club exclusive)
11/98
Battle Droid (STAP Sneak preview pack-in)
12/98
Muftak (Star Wars Fan club exclusive)
Kabe (Star Wars Fan club exclusive)
Mace Windu (Mail away sneak preview figure)

So which is your worst and best out of this group?

Jaff
07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Oola and Salacious Crumb - I heard they plan on doing another Oola, which I found surprising. Oola already looks perfect in my book, so why are they redoing her? The sculpt detail, and the lace legging of this fig are excellent, especially for that time. I still drool over this fig.
Battle Droid (STAP) - This floppy arm droid is not impressive unless it is attached to the STAP. As a result it’s not that good of a figure, and is easily the worst of this group.
Muftak - The first time I got Muftak I was just ecstatic. Today I’m still quite happy to have him in plastic. I love the fact that his hand is sculpted so well that he can perfectly gesture towards his mouth just like he did in the movie.
Kabe - Great figure, and his pose is perfect for standing next to the cantina bar in any display. I’m glad to have the fig, but it doesn’t compare to Muftak or Oola.
Mace Windu - What a nice likeness to Sam Jackson. The fig was nice overall, and is still the Mace of choice to display in my loose collection.

BEST - Oola, she just looks too good!

WORST - The Battle Droid is a weak figure against the other figs in this list.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Tough to decide but I think I'll echo Jaff's choices.

BEST - Oola
WORST - Battle Droid

I just realized an anagram of Muftak & Kabe is Fat Muk & Beak.

Banthaholic
07-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Worst: Han

Best: Oola

Worst: I actually like all 5 options

Bosskman
07-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Best - Oola
Worst - Battle Droid (I replaced him on my STAPs with the boomer damaged one)

sebillba
07-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Best - OOLA.... personally, I prefer Muftak and Kabe, as I can't get enough Cantina aliens, but I have to concede Oola is a superb figure, and also came with the best accessory!

Worst - BATTLE DROID.... these guys make for rubbish figures at the best of times, and this one is useless without the STAP.

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 06:16 AM
Best - Mace

Worst - Battle Droid

pegger
07-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Best - Oola (Hasbro can make a scantly clad sex slave, but not Yarna???)

Worst - Battle Droid

Darth Jax
07-27-2006, 06:28 AM
best oola
worst battle droid - the cheap plastic used in figs these days is gonna make all the droids wilt so any wave with a BD, he'll be the worst.

dindae
07-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Best is Oola really a great figure. Worst is a hard one since I really like all of these. I'm going to go with Mace.

El Chuxter
07-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Why all the hatred for Earl and his Chick Magnet-Mobile? Earl rocks! How many sloppy drunk Battle Droids have they made? And he'd totally have a mullet going if he could only grow the hair. He's my favorite, narrowly beating Oola and Muftak.

I haven't made any Earl references in years, so chances are no one remembers SSG's original Lanny anymore.

Best: Earl the Drunken Battle Droid. Yeeeeeeeeee-haw!!!

Worst: Tough, since these are all really great figures, but I think Mace was a little less detailed than the others, so I suppose he loses.

tagmac
07-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Best: Oola, with Mace Windu a very close second.

Worst: Battle Droid. This was a pretty good assortment, but he sticks out among the rest, and not in a positive way.

Rogue II
07-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Best: Kabe (nothing against Oola and Muftak)

Worst: Battledroid.

I actually have both Mace and the Battledroid, but this is where I decided not to collect prequel figures. One of these days I'll try to trade the STAP.

Jaff
07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Moving right along here are the results which are close to unanomous!

BEST
Oola 9
Kabe 1
Mace Windu 1
Battle Droid (STAP) 1

WORST
Battle Droid (STAP) 9
Mace Windu 2

Jaff
07-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Itís time for the final group of figures for the year 1998. The years list was pretty huge, and it was quite a surprise to see that Hasbro made a new package just five months away from Episode I. The flashback figures were all pretty easy to find until Aunt Beru came around, and unfortunately most of these figs were just rehashes.

12/1998
Darth Vader (3rd sculpt)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (2nd sculpt)
Luke Skywalker with Tatooine Hat and Binnoculars
Yoda (2nd sculpt)
Hoth Chewbacca
Princess Leia in Ceremonial Gown
R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber
Emperor Palpatine with force lightning

So which is your Best and Worst out of this wave?

Jaff
07-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Darth Vader (3rd sculpt) - A different Darth, not as good as the removable helmet Darth. It didnít grab my fancy then, and still does not. Historically it was just another Darth.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (2nd sculpt) - This is the best Ben Kenobi with his hood on to date. Itís no wonder Hasbro keeps reusing this sculpt. Although it would be nice to see him in a neutral pose he still rates #1 in my book.
Luke Skywalker with Tatooine Hat and Binnoculars - At the time this was the best Luke, complete with every accesory, and knee joints. The fig was still a rehash, making it nowhere near the best of the best.
Yoda (2nd sculpt) - So this new Yoda has a bit of hair hanging out the back of his head, so what! The fig had some nice accessories, but it was nothing more than a useless rehash to me.
Hoth Chewbacca - At the time this was a cool Chewie. Today we see Chewie scaled accurately and this figures appeal has been stunted as time went on.
Princess Leia in Ceremonial Gown - This Leia had a plastic gown which really didnít look all that good. Although the figure was fair, I prefer the Leia collection version much more than this one.
R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber - What in the world is this garbage. This figure looks like a sick twin to the POTF R5-D4. Junk, pure and simple.
Emperor Palpatine with force lightning - Palpy has been rehased, and although this fig looked similar to the F/X version I still liked it. The lightning is just cool, and therefore I still display him. The new Endor Emperor doesnít even add up to this one.

BEST - Obi-Wan Kenobi (2nd sculpt)

WORST - Mutated R5-D4, I mean R2-D2

Banthaholic
07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Best: Princess Leia in Ceremonial Gown

Worst: R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber

sebillba
07-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Luke Skywalker with Tatooine Hat and Binnoculars - At the time this was the best Luke, complete with every accesory, and knee joints. The fig was still a rehash, making it nowhere near the best of the best.

Best - LUKE... possibly still the best Luke so far (I also thought he had knee joints, but I've just looked at mine, and he doesn't).

Worst - R2-D2... definitely the worst R2 ever.

Kidhuman
07-28-2006, 06:04 AM
Best - Leia

Worst R2.

Darth Jax
07-28-2006, 06:18 AM
best charlotte errr palpy
worst hoth chewie

pegger
07-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Best - Luke
Worst - R2

dindae
07-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Best - I'm gonna say Obi Wan although none of these are really my favorite.

Worst - R2 is the worst I really like the idea but I thought it could have been done much better.

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Best: Luke

Worst: R2-Poop-2

Bosskman
07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Best - Obscene Hoth Chewie (yeah, I gotta dirty mind but I laugh out loud every time I see this figure)

Worst - R2-D2 (no comment necessary)

Rogue II
07-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Best: Princess Leia in Ceremonial Gown
Worst: Frosted Chewbacca (not that he was any better than R2)

tagmac
07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Best: Ben Kenobi

Worst: R2-D2

Mad Slanted Powers
07-28-2006, 05:55 PM
BEST - Luke. No knee joints, but he does have elbow joints, and I just noticed his head can bend forward. Plus all the accessories.

WORST - I guess I'll have to go with R2. They could have made it a better figure if it was just the handle and not the entire saber, especially since an ignited saber is not what R2 sends to Luke in the movie.

One good thing about Vader is that he is the first Vader to have elbow articulation. However, he has reverted to his early POTF2 buffed up figure. Obi-Wan needs to have both hands on the saber to be able to hold it well. Leia just doesn't quite look right, and the hard plastic cape doesn't help either. C-3PO, Chewie and Yoda are nice variations, but not all that impressive overall, but I feel that way for most versions of these three characters.

Edit - Just realized C-3PO was not in this round, and I didn't comment on the Emperor. I've not opened the Emperor, but I'll agree that I like both this and the other POTF2 sculpt better than the Saga and Saga 2 versions.

Jaff
07-30-2006, 06:33 AM
It was extremely close for the Best figure, but the worst was pretty obvious right from the start.

BEST
Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi 3
Princess Leia Ceremonial Gown 3
Luke Skywalker Floppy hat 4
Emperor Palpatine 1
Hoth Chewbacca 1

WORST
R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber 11
Hoth Chewbacca 1

Jaff
07-30-2006, 06:37 AM
The year end is quite a big list to sort through. There was a lot of great figures this year, and now itís time for you to painfully pick only one out of the many good figures to be voted on in the final poll.

BEST
BíOmarr Monk
Princess Leia Bespin Gown (Princess Leia Collection)
C-3PO (Purchase of Droids 3-pack)
Wicket and Logray 2-pack (POTF)
Zuckuss (tied with Darth Vader Removable helmet)
Darth Vader with Removable helmet (tied with Zuckuss)
C-3PO (Millenium minted coin)
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (Complete Galaxy)
Luke in Stormtrooper (Death Star Escape Game - tied with Bantha Tusken)
Tusken Raider (Bantha - tied with Death Star Escape Luke)
Ree Yees (POTF)
Mynock Hunt Chewbacca (Mynock Hunt 3-pack)
Max Rebo (Jabba band 2-pack)
Grand Admiral Thrawn (EU)
Nubrun Leids (Cantina 3-pack)
Oola (Fan Club exclusive)
Luke Skywalker with Floppy Hat (flashback)

WORST
Speeder Bike Pilot (expanded universe Speeder Bike)
Princess Leia Ewok Celebration (Princess Leia Collection)
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (Final Duel 3-pack)
Lando in General (POTF)
Captain Piett (POTF)
Han Solo in Bespin (Millenium minted coin)
Han Solo (Gunner Station)
Imperial Scanning Officer (Millenium Falcon Carry case)
Lobot (POTF)
Han Solo Mynock Hunt (Mynock Hunt 3-pack)
Joh Yowzah (Jabba band 2-pack)
Imprial Sentinal (EU)
Spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Spirits 3-pack)
Battle Droid (STAP sneak peak)
R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber (flashback)

So which figure is the BEST and Worst of 1998?

Jaff
07-30-2006, 06:39 AM
For me the figures most worthy to be on the BEST out of the listed figs for 1998 are these:

BíOmarr Monk
Zuckuss (tied with Darth Vader Removable helmet)
Darth Vader with Removable helmet (tied with Zuckuss)
Oola

Although I love all the figs listed here, Iím going to pick the ones that have stood the test of time, and still match the sculpts today. That rules out Darth right away. His scale is not correct. The BíOmarr was a unique fig, but I am more fledged to Zuckuss and Oola. Both these figs in my opinion do not need any resculpts or retools. Since I have to pick only one fig, I have to go with my heart, and that goes to Zuckuss. Iím sure Oola will be voted more than Zuckuss, but I simply adore this character and the fine fig!

For the worst, there is a lot of WORST to choose from, but for me itĎs simple. R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber! I think R5-D4 is one of the worst figs ever made. This fig is very identical in flaws to that figure. Itís a no-brainer IMO.

Banthaholic
07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Best: Oola (Fan Club exclusive)
Worst: Lobot (POTF)

Slicker
07-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Best - Oola. Her sculpt and likeness were rather good and we got a Salacious Crumb.

Worst - R2 with pop up saber. That gigantic 3rd leg was just stupid.

Bosskman
07-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Best - Zuckuss

Worst - R2-D2 with pop up sabre

Darth Jax
07-30-2006, 09:26 AM
best - oola
worst - joh yowzah

Rogue II
07-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Best: B’Omarr Monk
Worst: R2-D2 with the big honking 3rd leg.

dindae
07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
For best I'm gonna say Oola those leggings are probably the best soft goods Hasbro has ever done.

Worst - Bespin Han Millenium Coin he sucks and he was twice the cost of a normal figure.

sebillba
07-30-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm in agreement with Jaff....

Best - Zuckuss

Worst - R2 pop-up sabre

tagmac
07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Best: Zuckuss - Oola's a close second, but this was the figure I looked forward to the most, as it looked great, and completed the bounty hunter set.

Worst: Speeder Bike Pilot - an unneccesary figure for a vehicle we needed to see even less. There's a reason the McQuarrie concepts were re-tooled before we got the final, superior designs, and this guy is a good example of it.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Tough choices. Zuckuss is a fine figure with nice detail. The only thing it lacks is modern articulation, but since he only stands in the movie, that is not necessary. Darth Vader with removeable helmet is good, but has the shortcomings Jaff mentioned. Floppy hat Luke was the best Luke at that point, but has been improved upon. I'll have to go with Zuckuss as BEST

For WORST, I will take Spirit Obi-Wan over R2.

pegger
07-30-2006, 12:58 PM
For Best I gotta go with B'omarr Monk - unique, a figure I NEVER thought they would make, lots of articulation - just a great figure IMO.

Worst - While R2 stinks - I think Disco Stu (Lobot) was the worst of the year.

DarthQuack
07-30-2006, 02:10 PM
For Best I gotta go with B'omarr Monk - unique, a figure I NEVER thought they would make, lots of articulation - just a great figure IMO.

Worst - While R2 stinks - I think Disco Stu (Lobot) was the worst of the year.

Still don't have him yet :-(

Kidhuman
07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
B'omarr for best

R2 poop up saber for worst

TheDarthVader
07-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Best is the Darth Vader with the removeable helmet.

Worst is the flashback R2-D2.

Jaff
08-01-2006, 07:49 AM
What a close race for the best of 1998. The worst was voted on by a large margin, but Oola, Zuckuss and B'Omarr were neck to neck! In the end Zuckuss will return in the final poll for the best fig and R2 as the stinkiest!

BEST
Zuckuss (POTF) 5
Oola 4
BíOmarr 3
Darth Vader Removable Helmet (POTF) 1

WORST
R2-D2 with lightsaber 7
Speeder Bike Pilot (EU) 1
Spirit of Obi-Wan (Cinema scene) 1
Lobot (POTF) 2
Joh Yowzah 1
Han Solo Bespin (Millennium coin) 1

Jaff
08-01-2006, 07:51 AM
After months of waiting fans finally received the Pote Snitkin wave in the mail. These figs were very nice, and cost $10 a piece through the Star Wars fan club. Much to many fans dissapointment, once Wizards bought out the fan club many of these figs began showing up at clearance at retail stores like Toys Rí Us for half the price we originally paid for them!

2/99 - POTF Blue Slide: Death Star Droid with Mouse Droid (Star Wars Fan Club exclusive)
POTF Blue Slide: AT-AT Driver (Star Wars Fan Club exclusive)
POTF Blue Slide: Pote Snitkin (Star Wars Fan Club exclusive)
POTF Blue Slide: Princess Leia in Hoth Gear (Star Wars Fan Club exclusive)

So which is your best and worst out of this wave?

Jaff
08-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Death Star Droid with Mouse Droid - I liked having the black Death Star Droid, but I value the RA-7 sandcrawler version much more. Itís a nice fig, but I had to replace the figure once already because the droids black paint job scratches very easily making it overly fragile and somewhat of a neusance.
AT-AT Driver - I love the AT-AT driver. Back in the 80ís it was my favorite figure next to 4-LOM (Zuckuss), and IG-88. This fig was no exception. Although it has been replaced by a far better figure in the form of the SAGA 2 version, it still looks good sitting in the AT-AT Walker.
Pote Snitkin - A positively incredible figure. This is a figure that I could imagine being released today. Itís detail, uniqueness, and quality was just astounding.
Princess Leia in Hoth Gear -Finally a Leia in Hoth, and she looks good too. Today she is still displayed with pride, and does not look dated.

BEST - Pote Snitkin without question.

Worst - Death Star Droid, he chips way too easily, otherwise I would have picked Leia by default. Still no figure in this list is worthy of being considered a bad figure.

sebillba
08-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Best - POTE SNITKIN.... I agree, an awesome figure.

Worst - HOTH LEIA.... still a nice fig, but the least interesting of this bunch.

Darth Jax
08-01-2006, 08:21 AM
best- AT-AT driver
worst- hoth leia

pegger
08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Best: Pote - absolutely great figure. One of my all time favs.

Worst - this is actually hard to pick...AT-AT, while great at the time, just doesn't stand up anymore, and the Saga 2 one is an incredible improvement (in terms of articulation)...Death Star Droid had the quality issues, but looks fantastic, and I love droids, Hoth Leia was dull, but the sculpt was pretty good, the height seemed appropriate.....
I guess I'll go with... Death Star Droid - becuase of the quality issues.

Rogue II
08-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Best: AT-AT Driver

Worst: Leia

tagmac
08-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Best: Death Star Droid - as much as I liked Pote Snitken, this figure just looked cool, and completely blew away the vintage version (which was one of the first figures I ever got when I started collecting as a kid).

Worst: At-At Driver - not a bad figure, but this was a good group overall, and the Driver simply pales in comparison to the current version.

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Best - POTE

Worst - Leia

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Best: Pote

Worst: DSD

BTW, I missed the voting, but am in agreement with the results of last round (best of 98).

TheDarthVader
08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
The best is Pote Snitkin .
The worst is Death Star Droid .

dindae
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Best - Pote
Worst - Death Star Droid the sculpt isn't bad I just had issues with it because I always felt it was going to break.

Chux nice avatar. Is 2-1B taking lead from Paul Rodgers? :D

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Best: Pote

Worst: DSD

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Chux nice avatar. Is 2-1B taking lead from Paul Rodgers? :D

You'll have to check out Rockin' Deuce (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F33-Yup0u8) to find out for sure. ;)

Tycho
08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
I am coming really 4 YEARS late to this game, but I have taken several days to read all of Jaff's posts and vote. Later I plan to re-read many of you participating's discussions.

For now, I'll vote and Jaff can decide which of my votes will count. The rest of you can treat them as "Tycho curiousities." I am strange sometimes, so my votes might be strange sometimes. Enjoy.

BEST: R2D2 - nearly perfect to this day
WORST: Han Solo - he didn't stand well because his one leg was too preposed.

BEST: TIE Pilot - near perfect
WORST: Han Hoth - it was the hood being down, the cap still being worn. Han never appeared that way.

BEST: Luke Jedi - fun to have and play with.
WORST: Chewie Snoova - sort of short, and until ROTS, hard to picture a Wookiee dressed that way.

BEST: Probe Droid
WORST: Han Smuggler Flight Pack - useless with the orange straps molded to him unless you were using an EU cargo lifter:rolleyes:

BEST: Sandtrooper - how I always wanted this figure. Too cool!
WORST: R5D4 - self explanatory

BEST: Bossk
WORST: 2-1B - nothing wrong with him at all - just boring next to others in a pretty good wave.

BEST: Lando Skiff - still a good figure
WORST: Bib Fortuna - the cape's cut was hard to tolerate

BEST: Deluxe Hoth Rebel - wished this was the carded figure, nice and generic
WORST: Deluxe Snowtrooper - without the E-Webb Cannon, he looks like he's squatting

BEST: Garindan - a nice and unexpected addition
WORST: Dengar - no backback, too preposed as he didn't even appear that way in the movie

BEST: Cantina Band Member - super articulation and first-time ever in production!
WORST:Spirit Ben Kenobi - no real articulation, which was sticky at best

BEST: Leia Slave - every fan boy's dream and very well sculpted!
WORST: Saelt Marae - too orange. The paint application wasn't too cool.

BEST: Snowtrooper - nicely done!
WORST: Emperor's Royal Guard - salt-shakers and I missed the cloth cloaks Kenner gave us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Round:

BEST: Cantina Band Member
WORST: Ben Kenobi Cantina Cinema Scene brawl (I only bought that for Dr. Evezan anyway)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST: B'Omarr Monk - unexpected and well-executed
WORST: EU Speeder Pilot - talk about being on the special kids' bus...

BEST: Leia Yavin Ceremony - one of the best soft-goods figures ever
WORST: Luke Ceremony - dork in action

BEST: Luke - Purchase of the Droids - probably one of the best Luke Tatooines
WORST: Emperor Palpatine who can just sit, and sit....and sit....and sit....

BEST: Ewok 2-pack. Hasbro spent some money 8 )
WORST: Endor Rebel Soldier

BEST: Darth Vader Removeable Helmet - I waited through all Kenner's days since ROTJ for this!
WORST: Luke Blastshield - nothing wrong with him, just another Luke Tatooine!

BEST: C-3PO minted coin - nice detail and silver leg. I've got to say the Emperor was very tempting to vote for.
WORST: Han Bespin - nothing new to see here.

BEST: Ewok Complete Galaxy - at least we got another Ewok somehow
WORST: Luke Jedi Complete Galaxy - I remember the skiff pack-in and the Rancor one looked pathetic. I may have this one confused with those. I never bought it so...

BEST: Tuskin Raider from Bantha (nice!)
WORST: Luke Rancor - see above

BEST: Ree-Yees
WORST: Mon Mothma

BEST: Greeta
WORST: Han Mynock Hunt - nothing new again

BEST: Sy Snootles - I like her SE look
WORST: Barquin Dan - just like Figrin Dan pretty much. Nothing new.

BEST: Leia Dark Empire - very cool look for her!
WORST: Imperial Sentinel - pass the salt - plus he didn't look very SW. Neither did the Dark Trooper, but at least from Dark Empire there were better choices than the Imperial Sentinel such as Executer Sedriss or Nyst.

BEST: Nabrum Leids - our first figure with 4 arms!
WORST: Ben Kenobi Spirit - no improvement of course

BEST: Mace Windu - still one of the best figures of Mace we've ever gotten
WORST: Kabe - I love her, but she has little articulation and doesn't do much next to all the others in this wave. She's actually great to have in a cantina diorama and we'd be begging for her if they didn't already make her. However, in light of the wave...

BEST: Emperor Flashback - nicely done!
WORST: Leia Ceremony - she just didn't look right, sculpted in all molded plastic that made her look fat. R2 will be forgiven if they improve him. It was experimental in a sense. Leia should have been done right.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Cuts:

BEST: Vader Removeable Helmet - no contest!
WORST: EU speederbike pilot.

------------------------------------------------------------------

New Poll:

BEST: Pote Snitkin
WORST: Death Star Droid - plain next to the others even if he did come with my first Mouse Droid.

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Tycho, you only came in late so you could fashion another list. :p

Bosskman
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Best - Pote
Worst - Leia

Banthaholic
08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Best: Pote Snitkin
Worst: Leia

Mad Slanted Powers
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
BEST - AT-AT Driver.

WORST - Death Star Droid. In addition to the above mentioned issues, that mouse droid is freakin' huge.

Bosskman
08-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Yeah, I'm all for a better mouse droid.

Tycho
08-02-2006, 10:06 AM
You have discovered the power of the Mouse Droid!

You are on your path to true enlightenment.

May the Mouse be with you, always.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2006, 05:34 PM
You have discovered the power of the Mouse Droid!

You are on your path to true enlightenment.

May the Mouse be with you, always.
Which figure came with the mouse droid that had actual wheels? I'm thinking the Death Star Accessory set, but perhaps somewhere else as well.

Tycho
08-02-2006, 09:59 PM
You are correct: the Death Star accessory set with the Death Star Trooper.

Mouse Droids (non-rolling but very good to sniff) were packed in with the Death Star Droid and later R4-M9. I detected a change in plastic being used for the one with R4-M9 which prompted me to inhale a lot of those and create the thread "Have you sniffed the New Mouse Droid." It was the POTJ R4-M9's Mouse Droid's plastic choice that prompted the whole thing, taking figure-sniffing to a new level.

I am not crazy. This is actually a real hobby for some people.

BTW: sticking your snout under Boba Fett Unleashed's fire-in-the-sarlaac is still a good thrill. After what? 2-3 years, that one still rocks! I just got it out of storage the other day, as I like displaying my Unleashed in my new place, and Fett is both probably the best to look at, and the most fun to sniff!

Jaff
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Tycho, all your votes have been put in. One significant effect your votes would have instilled was that Darth Vader removable helmet would have beaten out Zuckuss to appear in the year end poll. Still, Zuckuss wiggled into the best 1998 with Vader and beat him out, so he remains lucky, and to return in the final poll.

Another poll result changed by your vote was in the Leia collection of 1998. The results for the worst were changed to this:

Princess Leia Ewok Celebration 5
Han Solo Bespin 4
Luke Skywalker Ceremonial 5

Welcome to the thread!

Jaff
08-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Cut and dry resulst for the best is Pote, but the worst was a slug match between DSD and Leia. In the end DSD lost out for being stinky!

BEST
Pote Snitkin 11
AT-AT Driver 3
Death Star Droid 1

WORST
Death Star Droid 8
Princess Leia in Hoth 6
AT-AT Driver 1

Jaff
08-02-2006, 11:52 PM
It is time the final wave of the Flashback series, and two cardboard playsets. The last Flashback wave was a rarity to be sure. With Episode I looming there was only a month for these figures to circulate uncontested before shelves were flooded with Episode I items. This wave was more dominant in vendors, and was rarely seen on store shelves because stores were looking for Episode I items. This was not the case for the Cantina playset which sat on shelves for over a year. Most fans already had a Cantina playset which they got from the Star Wars fan club back in 98. Each case of these playsets had no other items in it, so there were plenty of the cantinas to go around. As a result it was a clearance item in many stores by the fall of 99. The Han with Jabba palace was rare if not impossible for many to find. Dealers charged double the store value, and many consider this set a hot comodity because it contains the only empty carbonite block ever made. Today it is still a rare item, and costly too, compared to it's original store price.

1/99 - Cantina Diorama playset with White pauldron Sandtrooper

3/99 - Flashback: C-3PO with shopwear detail
Flashback: Aunt Beru with Treadwell Droid
Flashback: Anakin Skywalker

5/99 - Jabba Palace Diorama with Han Solo in Carbonite

So which is the Best and Worst out of these items?

Banthaholic
08-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Best: Beru, still awesome this one got made
Worst: Han from Jabba's palace

Jaff
08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Aunt Beru - What a likeness, and with a treadwell droid too. Did someone say blue milk containers. A perfect figure in my book. I hope they never remake her. Her card version still commands a respectable value. Everything about this figure is just right!
C-3PO with shopwear detail - I love the Episode III 3PO, and the Millenium coin version, but I have a fondness for this fig. It's removable arm is great for a discovery of Ben diorama, and he looks rustic and worn out. His faded color just worked IMO.
Anakin Skywalker - I never cared for this fig. Although it was a VINTAGE addition figure, I never really liked the Vintage Anakin because he was only seen in the films as a ghost. I had a spirit of Anakin, so this fig seemed like a waste to me. The figure looks O.K. though.
Sandtrooper with white pauldron - It was nice to add a white pauldron sandie to my collection, and he had his hover droid next to his head which was cool, however time has caught up to this fig, and a much better versions have been made in the form of the Sandtooper builder set, and the evolutions set.
Empty carbonite with Han Solo - This Han really doesn't look too bad. His face could use some work and was redone in the Skirmish at Carkoon 4 pack. This figs shirt is stained, and has rolled up sleeves which fit the film. I never got the remake because I thought this fig was good enough, and it was $7 cheaper than the 2004 version. The real jem of this figure is the carbonite block though. It has yet to be remade!

BEST - Easy, Aunt Beru

WORST - Anakin Skywalker

Jaff
08-03-2006, 12:29 AM
I now turn the thread over to The Darth Vader, as I will be out of town for about a week. He will tally your votes, and post a new group every other day. I will see you in a week or so, have fun!

Kidhuman
08-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Enjoy the vac Jaff.

Beru is best

Han is worst.

sebillba
08-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Best - HAN IN CARBONITE... I have all my Carbo Hans on display, but this is still the one I use for my Jabba's Palace diorama. Beru and Anakin were fine figures, and I was pleased to get them, but I can't get too excited over a pair of OAPs.

Worst - I should probably go for the latest Bufftrooper, but I'm loathe to choose that, as I've only just bought one (loose from ebay, as I never saw the boxed Cantina at retail in Britain, let alone on clearance, and I wasn't going to pay over the odds since I already had the mailaway diorama. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the patrol droid fits onto him.) So, I'm going for C-3PO... a perfectly good figure, but just another 3PO - ok, he had a detachable arm, but we already had one with all removable limbs, and we already had a beat-up version from Purchase of the Droids.

Enjoy your break Jaff!!

Tycho
08-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Jaff, thank you for adding in all my votes! What a lot of work that was. (I know from personal experience). I'm sorry about Vader with Removeable Helmet (1998) that has got to be one of my all-time favorite figures (though still not the best ever produced *cough* Ephant Mon probably *cough*

This wave:

BEST Aunt Beru

WORST: Anakin Skywalker - I thought he was supposed to look like Hayden Christensen? ;)

Bosskman
08-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Best - Beru
Worst - Sandtrooper

On a side note, a Zellers in my area STILL has Beru on the pegs. IT'S BEEN 7 YEARS!

Kidhuman
08-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Thats insane, is it still full price?

Darth Jax
08-03-2006, 06:25 AM
best - auntie em, err wrong movie, beru
worst - anakin

pegger
08-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Best - Beru
Worst- Sandtrooper

dindae
08-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Best Beru
Worst Sandtrooper

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Best: Beru

Worst: Lyle Lovett in Han Solo Disguise

tagmac
08-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Have fun, Jaff!

Best: Aunt Beru

Worst: Han Solo (although to be fair, none of these figures was really bad - I'm picking this one as the worst of the best).

TheDarthVader
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
<evil laugh> The thread is now mine! Mwahaahaa!

Best Beru
Worst Sandtrooper

The tally for this round:

BEST
Aunt Beru 11 votes
Han Solo in Carbonite 1 vote

WORST
Sandtrooper 4 votes
Han Solo in carbonite 4 votes
Anakin Skywalker 3 votes
C3PO 1 vote

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Oops, forgot to vote.

Best: Beru

Worst: Han from Jabba's Palace

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Worst: Han from Jabba's Palace"Did you just say 'Han Jabba'?"

Best: C-3PO
Worst: "Backseat" Beru

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes, and it was the worst Han Jabba I ever bought. Well, in this wave at least.

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 11:13 AM
"Did you just say 'Han Jabba'?"

My sweet lord, is that a Sifl and Ollie reference?

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2006, 11:38 AM
My sweet lord, is that a Sifl and Ollie reference?
I'm glad someone in these parts shares my discerning taste in pop culture.:beard:

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Sifl and Ollie? I kind of remember them. Were they sock puppets or something?

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Yep (http://www.youtube.com/results?tag=sifl)

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 12:12 PM
I'll take your word for it. Yourtube is blocked at work, and I have dial-up at home, so I don't even bother trying.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Sorry I haven't voted in a while . . . I'm not going to play catchup but I will continue voting from here on out.

Best - C-3PO, I like the removable arm
Worst - Anakin Skywalker, just plain pointless

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2006, 06:43 PM
BEST - Aunt Beru
WORST - Sandtrooper. With the gun, pauldron, cam droid and that pose, he doesn't stand as well without a stand.

Han was an improvement over the carded version. Anakin is decent even though he only appeared as a spirit and has now been removed altogether. A good variation on C-3PO as well, but nothing special.

TheDarthVader
08-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I have a new wave in my pocket...

4/99 The Phantom Menace
Episode I: Obi-Wan Kenobi Naboo
Episode I: Padme Naberrie
Episode I: Queen Amidala
Episode I: Jar Jar Binks with staff first release
Episode I: Battle Droid (all 4 paint types included)

So who are you worst and best out of these?

For best the Battle Droids
Worst Padme Naberrie

The tally for the previous round:

BEST
Aunt Beru 13 votes
C3PO 2 votes

WORST
Sandtrooper 5 votes
Han Solo in carbonite 5 votes
Anakin Skywalker 4 votes
C3PO 1 vote
Aunt Beru 1 vote

This round tally:
BEST
Battle Droid 1 vote

WORST
Padme Naberrie 1 vote

Tycho
08-05-2006, 01:51 PM
This is very tough:

First: Obi-Wan was nicely articulated, but didn't look like Ewan McGreggor. In fact, Hasbro's never quite gotten him down right on any of their products, and if they have, this TPM figure was not the time they succeeded.

Next: The BattleDroid did have a lot of articulation and it was more solid in terms of plastic than OOM-9 would be. It's a contender.

Furthermore: Padme Naberrie was not very articulated, but she was exactly what would be expected of a figure of her and it looked like Natalie a little bit.

Following up on that: Darth Maul would have so benefitted from ball-joint shoulders. He was articulated, but limited. That was frustrating when trying to pose him many different and cool ways.

Hmmm. It's hard to pick.

BEST: Padme Naberrie

WORST: Obi-Wan Kenobi

dindae
08-05-2006, 01:54 PM
And I thought you were just happy to see me. :shocked:

Best Battle Droid better plastic than the ones today.

worst Obi Wan really don't like the likeness on this figure.

sebillba
08-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Weren't soft goods Maul and Naboo Ob & Qui-Gon from later releases?

Either way......

Best - DARTH MAUL.... at the time, I was blown away by the detail.

Worst - PADME.... least interesting figure of the bunch, and I felt it unecessary to have this same character twice in the very first wave.

Kidhuman
08-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Best - Maul.

Worst Padme.

pegger
08-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Best - Battle Droid

Worst - Qui Gon

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2006, 05:54 PM
BEST - Battle Droid. I just opened one for the first time, and this kicks arsenal over any other battle droid that has been released since.

WORST - Tough call. I not that impressed with the Jar Jar figure, but I will vote for Qui-Gon. Given the articulation that Maul and Obi-Wan have, Qui-Gon should have at least one more point of articulation in his right arm.

Edit - I merged posts and changed votes for you to make it easier to count and tally. KH

Darth Jax
08-05-2006, 06:16 PM
best maul
worst obi

DarthQuack
08-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Best - Lando (cause he's a pimp)
Worst - First Leia

El Chuxter
08-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Best: Maul, by a slight margin.

Worst: Obi-Wan. He just didn't hack it in comparison.

And, yes, this Darth Maul should be the original, all-plastic version with no cape, not the soft-goods version, which came out in 2000.

Bosskman
08-06-2006, 06:29 AM
It's weird because I don't have a lot of these figures anymore (having replaced them with later better versions but I'm gonna have to go with:

Best - Padme
Worst - Battle droid. This battle droid was ALL wrong. I was bulky, the ponity head sculpt was according to earlier designs and NOT what eventually appeared in the movies, it was too bulky, you couldn't pose it the way the BDs carried themselves in the movies AT ALL, and it was way too bulky. Yeah, the plastic was better quality, but that is moot since it only vaguely resempled the droids in the movies.

Rocketboy
08-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Time to jump back into this thread...

Best - Darth Maul
Worst - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-06-2006, 11:29 AM
I assume, as has been said, that you don't mean Darth Maul (Sith Lord) but rather Darth Maul (Jedi Duel), and that the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan figures were also the Jedi Duel variety and not Naboo.

Best - Darth Maul, I was ECSTATIC when I got this guy
Worst - Padm&#233;, she's too cartoony (like a lot of this wave/line)

pbarnard
08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Best: Padme. This was the start of Hasbro getting proportions right.
Worst: Obi-Wan. Hasbro was still getting proportions wrong.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I assume, as has been said, that you don't mean Darth Maul (Sith Lord) but rather Darth Maul (Jedi Duel), and that the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan figures were also the Jedi Duel variety and not Naboo.Yes, I just realized that this morning. I had been looking at the wrong figures when I voted. I like these Jedi Duel versions better than the Naboo versions, but I'll not change my vote again for best.

Tycho
08-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm getting ahead of the crowd here by saying this, but the Naboo versions (they have the molded plastic, hood-down cloaks) were awesome. Back then, Hasbro gave us lit and unlit lightsaber hilts before the inaccurately sculpted metal ones came out with breakable blades that detached. You could hang the hilts on the belts. The arms (well 1 on each of them) lacked articulation, and Obi-Wan's headsculpt was still no good - but heck - here's where they could improve arm articulation and just add AOTC and ROTS heads to Obi-Wan and keep making great figures we all could use! Darth Maul Tatooine (also in that wave) was a great sculpt. He just suffered by limited articulation.

General_Grievous
08-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Best: Darth Maul, but the Jar Jar figure ain't too shabby.

Worst: Obi-Wan. Doesn't look like Ewan.

TheDarthVader
08-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah guys. I am sorry about that. Jaff has given me the lists, and he didn't specify which version those were. But, yes, it should be the jedi duel versions of each figure. I apologize for any inconvience...TIME FOR THE NEXT WAVE...

4/99 - Episode I:
Watto
Darth Sidious (black cloak version, non-holographic)
Gasgano and Pit Droid
C-3PO
Ric Olie

Hmmm. Watto had a good sculpt, but was not a very exciting figure. Darth Sidious was a salt shaker but had a half way decent face sculpt. Gasgano wasn't bad for an alien, but my Gasgano's arm keeps falling off. The pit droid was good. C-3PO had a great sculpt and good paint. Ric Olie wasn't too shabby either. For best Ric Olie . For worst Darth Sidious.

Previous:

BEST
Aunt Beru 13 votes
C3PO 2 votes

WORST
Sandtrooper 5 votes
Anakin Skywalker 4 votes
C3PO 1 vote
Aunt Beru 1 vote

Previous:

BEST
Darth Maul 7 votes
Battle Droid 4 votes
Padme Naberrie 3 votes

WORST
Obi Wan Kenobi (jedi duel) 7 votes
Padme Naberrie 4 votes
Qui Gon Jinn (jedi duel) 2 votes
Battle Droids 1 vote

Now:
BEST
Ric Olie 1 vote

WORST
Darth Sidious 1 vote

Tycho
08-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey SENATOR Palpatine came out with this wave! (Valorum was in Collection 3).

BEST: C-3PO - you have to admire his paint job. This was a much technically harder Threepio to do than the usual run of the mill. He might not be real articulated or accessory laden, but he was exactly what we were supposed to get.

WORST:GASGANO - I suppose this is the best they could make the figure of him be because his character design was as such (it is a good likeness I guess, and I'm glad they did him - it's just not my favorite figure.

Senator Palpatine and Ric Olie, maybe even Darth Sidious and definitely Watto all deserve props. This was a good wave of "b-characters."

El Chuxter
08-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Aside from Gasgano, these figures are all excellent. Gasgano is by far the loser here.

For winner, I'm going to (narrowly) go with Sidious. He wasn't exactly a salt-shaker, though his robe severely limited his poseability. I think he's still the strongest sculpt of this bunch.

pegger
08-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Best - 3P0... the paint job was very good.

Worst - Gasgano....the arms on mine keep falling off too!!

dindae
08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
best - C-3po
worst - gasgano - mainly due to the arms issue and the fact that this was a very solid wave.

sebillba
08-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Best - WATTO

Worst - GASGANO

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Best - Darth Sidious
Worst - Gas-watch-me-as-my-arms-fly-off-gano

pbarnard
08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Best: Watto. Sculpting detail is amazing, and plus that torch can be removed and held by the gas belly slob.

Worst: Gasgano. The pit droid was worth more to me than the stinker figure with arms that fall off, limited articulation, no real screen time unless you watch the deleted scenes.

tagmac
08-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm a little behind on this, so here's my votes for both waves.

Wave 1:
Best: Darth Maul
Worst: Battle Droid

Wave 2:
Best: Ric Olie
Worst: Darth Sidious - didn't care for the face that much

Banthaholic
08-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Best: Jar Jar
Worst: Qui Gon Jinn

Best: Ric 'the pimp' Olie
Worst: C-3PO

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I guess since they all came out the same day, it doesn't matter which batch is up for vote.

C-3PO - Very nice detail to him. Not great articulation, but no 3PO except the new one with the chair has much articulation.

Gasgano - The arms look like they should be able to swivel out, but they don't.

Watto - Very good detail on this one as well, but I wish he had a stand like the Saga version so that he could hover.

Ric Olie - Very good likeness, especially considering how many other figures don't look quite right. My only complaint is that the helmet is tough to remove.

Darth Sidious - If you open his arms out, he kind of looks like Ozzy Osbourne. I'm the <expletive> Dark Lord of the Sith!

BEST - A tough choice. I'd like to go with the Ricster, but I shall go with C-3PO for the uniqueness of the figure.

WORST - Gasgano is a pretty easy choice.

Darth Jax
08-07-2006, 06:38 PM
best - the evil mastermind sidious
worst - gasgano de milo

Kidhuman
08-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Tough winner here, but will nod to Watto.

Worst - follow suit...Gasgano

Bosskman
08-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Best - Sidious

Worst - Watto, but only because he was BLUE in the movie and not GREEN like this figure.

Tycho
08-08-2006, 06:52 AM
I thought he was green in the movie and there was just something wrong with Qui-Gon's eyes.

EDIT: I just realized that Gasgano was not in this wave! I think it's too late to call for a re-vote, however:

Collection 2 was:

Watto
C-3PO
Darth Sidious
SENATOR PALPATINE
Ric Ollie

Collection 3 was:

Chancellor Valorum
Mace Windu
Ki-Adi Mundi
Gasgano
Boss Nass

So Palpatine and Gasgano must exchange places in our poll. I'm not sure it would have made a difference, but the too-small Boss Nass might've given Gasgano a run for his money for the worst. Other than that, I don't think we'd see different results.

TheDarthVader
08-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Sorry about the waves Tycho. I am using the list Jaff provided me...so I am just going to keep it this way. Thanks for the corrections though! :)

We must have TWO run-offs. Run off number one: Which is worse??? Sandtrooper (from diorama) or Han Solo in Carbonite (from diorama)?
Which is best???? C3PO ep1 or Darth Sidious ep1?????
Run off 1: I vote for Sandtrooper.
Run off 2: I vote for C3PO .

NEW VOTING WAVE:
Episode I: Senator Palpatine
Episode I: Boss Nass
Episode I: Chancelor Valorum
Episode I: Mace Windu
Episode I: Ki-Adi Mundi

My best is Chancelor Valorum. The sculpt was good, the paint was good, and the accessory staff wasn't bad. I liked the detail of his senate suit. I also liked Mace, but Valorum is going to beat him out by a little bit.
My worst is Boss Nass. The potj version is so much better and more accurate. Also, that cloak is horrible. It comes off from the freakin' sides man!

Previous:

BEST
****Aunt Beru 13 votes WINNER OF THE BEST!
C3PO 2 votes

WORST
Sandtrooper 5 votes
Anakin Skywalker 4 votes
C3PO 1 vote
Aunt Beru 1 vote

Previous:

BEST
****Darth Maul 8 votes WINNER OF THE BEST!
Battle Droid 4 votes
Padme Naberrie 3 votes
Jar Jar Binks 1 vote

WORST
****Obi Wan Kenobi (jedi duel) 7 votes WINNER OF THE WORST!
Padme Naberrie 4 votes
Qui Gon Jinn (jedi duel) 3 votes
Battle Droids 2 votes

Previous:
BEST
C3PO 4 votes
Darth Sidious 4 votes
Watto 3 votes
Ric Olie 2 votes

WORST
****Gasgano 10 votes WINNER OF THE WORST!
Darth Sidious 2 votes
C3PO 1 vote
Watto 1 vote

NOW:
Run off 1:
Sandtrooper 1 vote

Run off 2:
C3PO 1 vote

Best
Chancellor Valorum 1 vote

Worst
Boss Nass 1 vote

El Chuxter
08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Best: Ki-Adi. The paint on his face, while subtle, was superb.

Worst: Nass. I have a feeling he's going to be a unanimous loser.

Tycho
08-09-2006, 11:19 AM
A lot to vote for.

I like Ki-Adi Mundi - this was probably his best figure I think. The ROTS softgoods approach to him didn't work anyway, and I think the E2 figure was slightly pre-posed. In any case, yeah, Vallorum is incredibly detailed. The staff was never seen in the movie however - and the lightsaber is mightier than the staff. Mace was also very tempting to vote for, but I like the Sneak Preview version of him better than this figure. Since Palpatine was included with this group, he deserves an honorable mention for detail approaching the quality of Valorum, and just for being a young Palpatine - how cool was getting that?

Boss Nass was the worst: size, poor cut decision on the cloak, very plain.

As to the run-offs.

For worst: Han Solo emerging from carbonite. I didn't like the head sculpt. I know what they tried to make him look like, but they didn't achieve it. Do you know that Han Solo is one of my all-time favorite SW characters, but I've frequently voted for him as the worst action figure in many a wave? I've not voted for him as the best yet ever. I've been recording which versions of the main characters I appreciate most, and neither Han nor Chewie has impressed me thus far in this review. They will however (CommTech, VOTC, etc) - but we're not there yet.

For best, I'm going to stick with C-3PO, my original vote from the Collection 2 wave. His paint application in incredible for a figure that small, and while Sidious is an improvement over many "Emperor" figures, he's put in his place next to a very detailed droid.

dindae
08-09-2006, 05:58 PM
best - valorum
worst - boss nass

pegger
08-09-2006, 06:38 PM
best - Valorum. Again, this is how all background characters should be handled.

Worst - Nass. 'nuff said.

For your run offs - 3P0 for best....and Sandtrooper for worst.

Darth Jax
08-09-2006, 06:56 PM
sandtrooper
sidious
best - ki adi mundi
worst - boss nass

Mad Slanted Powers
08-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Mace is decent, but I don't like cloaks like that. It reminds me of a hollowed out chocolate Easter Bunny.

Valorum and Palpatine are solid figures. The texture of Palpatine's cloak is different. However, he doesn't really look like Palpatine to me.

I don't hate Boss Nass as much as the rest of you, but I am annoyed that he seems to not be able to hold onto the staff very well.

Best - Ki-Adi Mundi
Worst - Boss Nass

I'm looking at the Saga Ki-Adi-Mundi, and it appears that it is identical to this one except for paint, saber and a new articulated right arm.

Kidhuman
08-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Kiadi best

Nass worst.

tagmac
08-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Best: Chancellor Vallorum
Worst: Boss Nass

sebillba
08-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Best - another close one... Palpatine is a superb figure, I love the colouring and detail of his robes, the cam droid was a nice accessory, and the head sculpt was very realistic, though I'm not convinced of the likeness. Valorum was almost as nice, for the same reasons, but not quite such a striking figure. But I'm going with KI-ADI MUNDI - he's an alien, he's a jedi, and this is still the best version of this character.

Worst - Mace is nothing special after the sneak preview version, but I have to agree with BOSS NASS - I liked this figure a lot at the time, but it does have too many faults, and I found mine particularly annoying as the robes gaped open a lot more on one side than the other.

Run offs:

Worst - SANDTROOPER.... I do like this figure, but mainly for the plug-in droid accessory, and I already voted for Han as the best from this wave, so Sandtrooper is worst by default.

Best - C-3PO.... great detail and a very different 3PO.

Bosskman
08-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Best - Valorum
Worst - Boss Nass

Banthaholic
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Best - Valorum
Worst - Boss Nass

Runoffs
Best: Darth Sidious
Worst Han

General_Grievous
08-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Best: Chancellor Zod

Worst: Boss Nass

Runoff: Worst-Han Carbonite

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Best - Mace. Sadly, it's still the best version to date.
Worst - Boss Nass

TheDarthVader
08-11-2006, 10:25 PM
It is technically still Friday...so here is the next post. I will tally votes tomorrow...

Episode One
Deluxe Darth Maul with Lightsaber action
Deluxe Qui-Gon Jinn with Lightsaber action
Deluxe Obi-Wan Kenobi with Lightsaber action
Kaadu with Jar Jar Binks
Opee with Qui-Gon Jinn
Anakin Skywalker with Podracer
Sebulba with Podracer
Sith Speeder with Darth Maul

You are voting on the figures, not the beasts or vehicles.

Tycho
08-11-2006, 11:15 PM
The Deluxe Figures were pretty much the first to ever have action features. Throughout the various lines' use of action features, some I liked and some I did not.

Obi-Wan still stood as a lousy figure - the action feature chop was boring and the head sculpt remained unapproachful of Ewan's countenance. (Look at me using big words! That sentence meant the figure didn't f'n look like Ewan!) The sculpt on the tunic was a little cooler for a Jedi Duel figure though.

Qui-Gon and Darth Maul were actually pretty cool. Qui-Gon's swing was solid and his sculpt cool. Maul was interesting to see a 3 3/4" figure handle that weapon of his. I think Qui-Gon was superior though - he always won the lightsaber fights between action figures even if he was killed in the movie.

JarJar was actually pretty cool in that he had more articulation, including the knees. The Podracer pilots were nothing special though. And sitting in the racers were about all they were good for. JT calls this Sebulba a "Pink Bulldog Fetus." I've never forgotten that as it really made me laugh (during one such "year in review" wrap-up. 1999's no doubt.) The Sith Speeder Maul was cool because of its softgoods and articulation, but there was so much Darth Maul...Finally the Qui-Gon with Opee pre-viewed the very cool workup they'd be doing for the Naboo cloaked versions of these characters with articulated ankles and a spear fishing accessory from Outdoors Magazine.

Naw. The best figure is Deluxe Qui-Gon Jinn!

The worst is Pink Bulldog Fetus Sebulba

General_Grievous
08-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Best: Sith Speeder soft goods Maul
Worst: Opee pack Qui Gon

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2006, 11:53 PM
BEST - I have to go with Darth Maul on the Speeder Bike. More versatile than the carded Darth Maul Tatooine figure or the one from the Cinema Scene.

WORST - The pod racer figures weren't great, and I don't really like the Jar Jar figure either. I don't have the Eopie but Qui-Gon doesn't look too bad. I'll have to go with one of the deluxe ones. These never interested me with the lightsaber in their back. Hard to pick one but I guess I'll go with Obi-Wan

sebillba
08-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Best - I was tempted to choose Sebulba - we already had all the other characters from this lot, but this was the first Sebulba. However, BIKER MAUL is the superior figure, so will get my vote.

Worst - PODRACE ANAKIN... the only one of these I didn't bother to get.

Kidhuman
08-12-2006, 06:04 AM
Maul with sith speeder best

Sebulba worst

El Chuxter
08-12-2006, 08:13 AM
JT calls this Sebulba a "Pink Bulldog Fetus." I've never forgotten that as it really made me laugh (during one such "year in review" wrap-up. 1999's no doubt.)

Aww, man, that hurts. I normally wouldn't care, but I believe it was I who coined "Pink Bulldog Fetus" during the Podrace scene of "The Phantom Resculpt" lo those many years ago. :p

For best, I'll say Jar Jar, who is, sadly, still the best Jar Jar produced. Maul and Qui-Gon are quite good, too, though.

For worst, need I say it? Pink Bulldog Fetus Sebulba in a landslide.

Tycho
08-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Sorry Chux, if it was you who coined the Pink Bulldog Fetus term. I think you and JT should fight over that one. It'll entertain me.

Anyway, I had fun writing The Phantom Resculpt with you and Bel Cam Jos - good times.

Most of those threads including A New Resculpt, The Resculpt Strikes Back, Return of the Resculpt etc. are all lost - casualties of the old forums system ending. Ah the good 'ol days. We've been here for so long...

Bosskman
08-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Best - Pod Racer Anakin
Worst - Jar Jar Binks from Kaadu

tagmac
08-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Best: Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder - This was one character who was consistently sculpted very well, and the Sith Speeder was just a great vehicle.

Worst: Deluxe Obi-Wan - I didn't buy any of these deluxe figs because I thought they looked so ridiculous, especially with that lightsaber handle.

Tycho
08-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Thing is, you didn't have to use the lightsaber handle attached to them. It was for play value only (if you and a friend were making the figures fight).

The action feature was button activated on the figure itself anyway, and they were often more displayable "in action" than their Jedi Duel counterparts so far as cool "pre-poses" were. I don't usually like preposing in my figures, but likened these to sort of Unleashed versions. When I had to have Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in nearly 30 dioramas I'd planned, and they pretty much wore variations of the same outfits throughout the entire movie, it helped to have these "different" figures to buy of them, so I generally only purchased 7 or 8 of the exact same figure, and then waited for the inevitable resculpt.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Best - Podracer Anakin
Worst - Opee Qui-Gon

pegger
08-12-2006, 06:41 PM
This one is tough for me. I honestly think they all suck...

So for best I;ll go with Maul

Worst. Jar Jar.

dindae
08-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I'll go with Maul speeder for best and Deluxe Obi for worst.

Jaff
08-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Well I did not return from Vegas a millionare, nor did I win enough gambling to pay for my 12" Jabba and throne that I ordered from sideshow. I didn't loose my shirt or my collection. Some things are not worth betting!

Besides that, it's good to be back, and I will start out by playing catch up. I noticed that a run off was done, and a maximum of 6 votes were given to answer the call to break the ties, an unfortunate turnout indeed. How about I kill one run off by voting on some of the figs that I never voted on so a runoff will not be needed for the 3PO and Sidious. As for the Han Carbo/Sandtrooper, I'll say let the Sandtrooper stay suckie, and let the Han stand the best!

For recent groups I missed, here goes:

Episode I initial release figures, group 1
BEST - Padme Naberrie: This fig is to scale and looks like Natalie. I love it, and always have.

WORST - Queen Amidalla: Next to the Queen Amidall (Battle) that was released with Bibble, this fig is dwarfed.

Episode I initial release figures, group 2
BEST - Darth Sidious: To me this is the best nuetral posed Palpy ever released. He works in any display from ROTJ, and the prequels. He is perfect for the Shuttle arrival dio in ROTJ. All the other Palpy's just don't look right compared to this one in such a display. The saga version's face just looks like a zombie, and the POTF version just does not match the detail as this one.

WORST - Gasgano: I was never impressed with this fig that much, especially his pit droid.

Episode I initial release figures, group 3
BEST - Senator Palpatine: I love Valorum too, but the costume for this fig is much more detailed, and Palpy while he's young. No contest for me, I think we got some of the best Palpy's on the same night back in 99.

WORST - Boss Nass: Jr. Nass, looks pretty sad in comparrison to POTJ.

Varied Episode I initial release figures
BEST - Although I love the bike that comes with Maul I'm not a fan of that figure, but the Jar Jar Binks that came with the Kaadu is exactly what he's supposed to be. He looks good on the Kaadu, and it's a bonus that he can stand by himself.

WORST - Every Deluxe, Every figure that can't stand looking somewhat normal (namely Anakin and Sebulba). Since I have to pick one I'll have to go with Sebulba. Dude's just a mess compared to the POTJ, and he couldn't be displayed without his pod!

Please thank TDV for taking the helm of this thread, he has always been someone I can count on. Whether or not he wishes to stay on board to tally all our votes in the future is up to Darth, the invitation is open for you. With that said, if you choose not to stay on, can you please continue your post as you planned so that we can see who blasts who in this group?

Jaff
08-13-2006, 12:02 AM
I also noticed an odd post by Darth Quack. He voted for the Best figure to be Lando, and the Worst was Leia from POTF. Sorry to shoot your ducks down, but these votes will not be acknowledged for several reasons. 1st - which Lando are you talking about? 2nd - We don't even know if any Lando figure will ever appear in the Best of the Best final poll. Finally (most importantly): it's against the rules of this thread. We can't take votes for figures we never listed yet, nor can we go back over a thousand posts to look for past votes when we get to the final poll.

Despite this, please waddle into the voting sessions any time you wish.

Jaff
08-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Two more waves are ready to be turned to mince meat or lofted into the air as idols, and although there were some great figs in the bunch many can attest that all of these figs (with the exception to the destroyer droid) were a dime a dozen on shelves during 1999.

6/99
Captain Tarpals
Ody Mantrell and Pit Droid
OOM-9

7/99
Yoda
Rune Haako
Nute Gunray
Destroyer Droid
R2-D2

So who's your best and worst out of these waves?

Jaff
08-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Captain Tarpals - It was nice to have this fig made, and I think he holds his own today, still I never did jumping jacks for this fig.
Ody Mantrell and Pit Droid - What an ugly, non standing pit droid. Ody was cool, but like his pack in he has a hard time standing without a base. Too bad his pit droid didn't have holes in it's feet. All in all I got no complaints though.
OOM-9 - This fig looks great in the Trade federation tank. He is posed exactly as he should in the movie and came with those cool binocs. He was a fine fig.
Yoda - I have always been fond of this Yoda, and was not surprised to see him repainted at least once.
Rune Haako - Rune, like Nute was beyond expectations. These two figs were just too good to become pegwarmers, it was a tradjedy.
Nute Gunray - Incredible, perfect, what more is their to say.
Destroyer Droid - At the time the DD was awesome, but when the newer Episode II version was made it was not as good. You can stick this fig in a dio and it can look normal if in the background though. You just have to pretend it's just coming out of it's coiled state.
R2-D2 - Blah, blah, blah, why do we need another R2 that was not a major improvement over the R2's we had seen already? I have to admit that there really wasn't nothing wrong with this R2 though.

BEST - Nute Gunray, although Rune could just have easily been picked.

WORST - I don't care for another R2-D2, anything before the holographic Leia and the VOTC is just drool!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Ody Mandrell - Not really impressed with him or his pit droid. Nice to have another pod racer though.

OOM-9 - a decent battle droid figure

R2-D2 - the only special thing about this is the jet things that come out, but he didn't do that until AOTC.

Destroyer Droid - I'll never vote one of these the best until they make him a bit smaller and able to convert from rolling mode to walking mode.

Tarpals - A nice fig, though slightly preposed. He looks good in that pose, though, holding the staff in both hands.

Yoda - Hard to make a good Yoda, since he is so small. I don't really care for the looks of this one as much as some other Yodas.

Nute Gunray - A nicely done figure, but the way the cloack is done makes it harder to raise his arms.

Rune Haako - Nice detail and elbow articulation. I like this figure the best.

BEST - Rune Haako
WORST - Ody Mandrell

Tycho
08-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Hmmm. I really liked the Collection 2 wave when I first found them in the stores. Since then, the Niemoidian's pegwarming did color my opinion of them a bit.

I liked this Destroyer Droid best actually (for Destroyer Droids) and refused to buy later ones with firing missles. I think I did get some exploding ones though.

R2D2 was just phenomenal - even if very inaccurate - this figure's rocket jets come out of his body instead of his legs. But it is a cool action feature nevertheless. Plus I really like R2's larger size, inaccurate as that may be as well. He just stands out nice. I voted for him before for my favorite TPM figure I think (YIR - 1999 I believe).

I'm going to vote for R2 again:

BEST: R2D2
WORST: OOM-9 (the plastic used in his legs was very weak. The decline in quality battledroids started here.)

Incidently, Ody was tempting me for worst, but because he was boring to me. If they didn't make him still, I'm sure I'd be clamoring for him though, so I'm not going to let that bit of criteria affect my judgement on who's quality and who's not.

sebillba
08-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Best - Yoda is, for me, the best thing in SW, but I was never a fan of the pug-nosed Ep1 version, so I won't vote for this fig. The Neimoidians were awesome figs... I like Nute's outfit best, but prefer Rune's face. Overall I'll go for Rune... no, Nute...... no, Rune.... no.... ok, I have to make a decion... Best - RUNE.

Worst - R2-D2... nothing wrong with it, but it was just another boring R2.

Kidhuman
08-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Rune is best

OOM-9 is worst.

Bosskman
08-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Best - Rune (but realy close behind him is Nute, I wish I could pick 2 best).

Worst - OOM-9 (see my comments for the first 4 TPM BDs above)

Incidentally, I found that if you do a headswap with the newer Destroyer dorid heads on this first one's bodys, you get a decent DD. At least that's what I did for all of mine.

pegger
08-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Best - Nute (just to be different)
Worst - R2.

Darth Jax
08-13-2006, 01:27 PM
i'm a round behind so first:
best - maul (sith speeder)
worst - ani podracer (although i hated all the deluxe as well)

next round:
best - droideka (even though it was passed up by the resculpt i still like it)
worst - odi and pit droid

El Chuxter
08-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Rune is the best.

R2-D2 is the least best, which I suppose makes him worst. :)

dindae
08-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Best captain Tarpuls - I really like this figure

Worst - Yoda

TheDarthVader
08-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Now it is time for me to catch up. Best is Maul with sith speeder and worst is Sebulba.

Best is Rune Haako and worst is r2-d2 with weak frame.

PREVIOUS:
Run offs:
****Sidious is the best (per Jaff's vote) runoff 1
****Sandtrooper is the worst (per Jaff's vote) runoff 2

Best
Ki Adi Mundi 6 votes
****Chancellor Valorum 7 votes SLIM VICTORY FOR THE BEST!!!
Mace Windu 1 vote
Senator Palpatine 1 vote

Worst
****Boss Nass 15 votes CRYSTAL CLEAR LOSER

Best
Deluxe Qui Gon (lightsaber) 1 vote
****Deluxe Darth Maul (sith speeder) 9 votes WINNER OF THE BEST!!!
Deluxe Jar Jar 2 votes
Anakin Skywalker (podrace) 2 votes

Worst
Anakin Skywalker (podrace) 2 votes
****Sebulba 5 votes WINNER OF THE WORST!
Deluxe Qui Gon (opee) 2 votes
Obi Wan (lightsaber) 3 votes
Jar Jar 2 votes

NOW:
Best
Nute Gunray 2 votes
Rune Haako 6 votes
R2-D2 1 vote
Destroyer Droid 1 vote
Captain Tarpals 1 vote

Worst
R2-D2 5 votes
Ody Mandrell 2 votes
OOM-9 3 votes
Yoda 1 vote

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Best - Rune Haako. It was him or Nute, and I remember really liking Rune's arm poses and articulation.
Worst - Captain Tarpals. I wish he'd had more arm articulation so he'd be able to be neutral without his hand at an odd angle.

Banthaholic
08-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Best: Speeder Maul
Worst Deluxe Qui-Gon Jinn with Lightsaber action

Best: Rune Haako
Worst: Yoda

tagmac
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Welcome back, Jaff. Here's my votes for the current group:

Best: Captain Tarpals - as much as I like the Neimodians, I just thought the color and sculpt of this figure was the best overall.

Worst: R2-D2 - an unneccessary figure that wasn't even movie accurate.

TheDarthVader
08-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Best: Captain Tarpals - as much as I like the Neimodians, I just thought the color and sculpt of this figure was the best overall.

Your vote is your vote, and I respect it. However, this version can't even put his feet into the stirrups on the Kaadu! :D He knees don't bend! ;)

Jaff
08-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Many have to admit that the Tatooine Duel three pack was one hard thing to find back in the day. On the other hand the Mos Espa Encounter was relatively easy to find. The Mos Espa pack had the best Sebulba at that time, and the fig could stand by itself unlike the Pod racer figure. The very ďunleashedĒ look of the Duel set made it something unique in 1999 and a foreshadow of things to come.

6/99
Sebulba (Mos Espa Encounter Three Pack)
Jar Jar Binks (Mos Espa Encounter Three Pack)
Anakin Skywalker (Mos Espa Encounter Three Pack)

10/99
Qui-Gon Jinn (Tatooine Duel Three Pack)
Darth Maul (Tatooine Duel Three Pack)
Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine Duel Three Pack)

So which is your Best and Worst out of these three packs?

As an FYI to all you pollsters out there, DARTH is now taking the full time roll of tallying all the votes. So once again me and him are re-teaming to manage the best figure poll as we had done in 2003.

Jaff
08-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Sebulba (Mos Espa Encounter) - A Sebulba that stands! A winner in my book at that time. The fig does not look terrible today either.
Jar Jar Binks (Mos Espa Encounter) - Yeah, weíve seen this fig before, but it still wasnít a major eye grabber to me.
Anakin Skywalker (Mos Espa Encounter) - Another rehash. Another O.K. figure.
Qui-Gon Jinn (Tatooine Duel) - Qui Gon unleashed 3 3/4 scale looked fine, but like all the figs in this three pack he was only defined by this particular diorama. If he is not next to Maul on a shelf he looks poor. If Maulís next to him then heís a cool fig.
Darth Maul (Tatooine Duel) - Unlike Qui-Gon this fig would look great with or without Quigy. The maticulate, swirling cape of this fig just makes it look Sith like. What a figure!
Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine Duel) - Another Anakin just terribly posed.

BEST - The swirling capes of Darth Maul still appease my eyes. When displaying episode I figs I always try to find a way to make a spot for this one.

WORST - Broke-back Anakin really looks duddy. Yeah itís sculpted right, and is made to look taken aback, but the fig just looks so BLAH!

Bosskman
08-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Best - Maul
Worst - Jar Jar

pegger
08-15-2006, 06:28 AM
I agree with my feloow canuck.

best - Maul
worst - Jar Jar

Kidhuman
08-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Maul best
worst Jar Jar

Jaff, which anakin, there are 2 of them

tagmac
08-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Best: Darth Maul - pretty much for the same reason Jaff stated

Worst: Anakin (Mos Espa Encounter) - overall a boring figure that did not need to be made.

Darth Jax
08-15-2006, 08:43 AM
best - sebulba
worst - jar jar

Tycho
08-15-2006, 10:04 AM
BEST: Darth Maul "unleashed"

WORST: "Stand-a-kin" Skywalker (Mos Espa)

Sebulba is an honorable mention though. It's also a nice figure.

El Chuxter
08-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Meesa thinkin', although not quite the POTJ version, Sebulba wins this one.

Anakin loses. Too close to the original, and not very exciting.

sebillba
08-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Best - I'll vote for SEBULBA, but will be happy if Maul wins.

Worst - JAR JAR.

TheDarthVader
08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Best Maul
Worst Anakin (espa)

SKYWALKER AND JAR JAR ARE NOW NOSE TO NOSE!

NOW:
Best
Darth Maul (Tatooine Duel) 7 votes
Sebulba (Mos Espa) 3 votes
Worst
Jar Jar Binks (Mos Espa) 5 votes
Anakin (Mos Espa) 5 votes

PREVIOUS:
Best
Nute Gunray 2 votes
****Rune Haako 7 votes THE BEST SMELLING BANANA!
R2-D2 1 vote
Destroyer Droid 1 vote
Captain Tarpals 2 votes

Worst
****R2-D2 6 votes THE WORST OF THE LOT!
Ody Mandrell 2 votes
OOM-9 3 votes
Yoda 1 vote
Captain Tarpals 1 vote

Mad Slanted Powers
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Best - Darth Maul.
Worst - Jar Jar. The colors are all wrong.

Jaff
08-17-2006, 07:49 AM
More great pegwarmers in this list, and at first it seemed that Anakin Skywalker (Naboo) was a hard to find fig. Initially it was not released in the first cases shipped, and many thought it was to be a rarity. It was not, of course, but he did fetch $20 through many dealers for a few weeks for those who were too impatient to nab this fig.

8/99
Darth Maul (Tatooine)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Naboo)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Naboo)
Queen Amidala (Coruscant)
Anakin Skywalker (Naboo)

So what fig is your best and worst out of this wave?

El Chuxter
08-17-2006, 07:57 AM
That Anakin is the Padawan, right?

Jaff
08-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Darth Maul (Tatooine) - I liked this fig when it first came out, but I prefer the remade version that was the Kay Bee exclusive with the Sith Infiltrator. Despite this it's a nice fig, but I have no use for it nor does it grab my attention over the other Maul's that were made.
Qui-Gon Jinn (Naboo) - Finally a Qui-Gon with a Naboo cloak. This is my favorite Qui-Gon to date, and someday they will remake this fig. It is inevitable. Until then I don't believe he can be topped.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Naboo) - This is the best Obi of episode I, it's too bad they didn't make an evolution version. Being the isn't great for this fig because of his head sculpt. They could do a lot better than this!
Queen Amidala (Coruscant) - I am still very glad to have this costume of Amidala as a fig. It seems there are still so many Amidalas to be made. The fig is O.K., and the costume is great. She is a statue but that's O.K. with me.
Anakin Skywalker (Naboo) - For only appearing for a split second this is another great fig. I thought his little cape was a waste and I've never used it.

BEST - Queen Amidala, she's the most unique in this bunch, and she looks good as well as being a valued addition to any collection.

WORST - This is really, really tough. I think all the figs in this wave were fine. I still display all of them, except Maul, but Maul was a good fig nonetheless. Even though I still display Obi-Wan I still feel they can do better so I'll go with this one.

Jaff
08-17-2006, 08:12 AM
That Anakin is the Padawan, right?

Yes!

Here are the lowdown on the figs for those who get confused with the many Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Anakin/Amidala/Mauls out there.

Tatooine Maul came with a one sided lightsaber before Obi-Wan chopped it in half. He is hooded like he was seen when the Royal starfighter flew away.
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are replicas of when they were robed with hoods down on the Trade Federation ship. Their poses actually look like what they had as they were walking to the window, and their light sabers hilts can be affixed to their belts.
The Queen Amidala is a representation of when she addressed the senate with her over the top hairdo and painted face.
Anikin came with a brown coat and was the padawan version seen right before the end credits of the film.

Would you folks like me to start doing detailed descriptions for the figs relating to their screen moments to help distinguish them? Let me know and I'll start doing that. With 20+ R2's, 3PO's, Lukes, Amidalas, quigy's, Anakins and DARTHS it can be hard to keep up for some. Just let me know and will apply descriptions in lists.

dindae
08-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Best Queen Amidala
Worst - Obi Wan - have yet to be happy with an episode I obi.

tagmac
08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
This is extremely tough, as they were all great figures. For the best, I would love to say Maul here, but I'm gonna go with Queen Amidala because of the awesome job they did on the costume.

For the worst, I'm gonna say Anakin, because of that ridiculous-looking cloak.

pegger
08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Best - Amidala.

Worst - Anakin.

El Chuxter
08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I'll reiterate the overwhelming Amidala vote for best, and say Obi-Wan is the worst. Or, rather, least good.

Tycho
08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll vote Qui-Gon for BEST because he is the best.

Obi-Wan gets the worst. (head sculpt issues again *sigh*)

Like everyone else said, this was a great wave!

Why can't Hasbro just take this Kenobi body and put an Episode 3 head on it, and sculpt a better Episode 2 head as well, and reissue this? The lightsaber hilts that attached to their belts were awesome. In so much as E3 figures were concerned, Pilot Obi-Wan was actually perfect though. I think it's AOTC that has Mr. Kenobi most lacking a good "regular Jedi represenation for."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
This was a very good wave overall, methinks, and I was excited to get it back in the day.

Best - Qui-Gon Jinn (Naboo). I just love the pose.
Worst - Darth Maul (Tatooine). He too had a cool pose, but the articulation and ability to do other poses is too limited.

sebillba
08-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm going against the grain on this one....

Best - OBI-WAN... the best Ep1 Obi, and I don't really have a problem with the sculpt. IMO it's better than the Qui-Gon sculpt, whose hair looks more like a beaver's tail.

Worst - AMIDALA... I much preferred the Theed Invasion Amidala, which I always thought should have been the first outfit done for her. This is a very well done figure, but I was never keen on the image - way too OTT.

Kidhuman
08-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Best - Queen

Worst - Obi-Wan

Mad Slanted Powers
08-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Would you folks like me to start doing detailed descriptions for the figs relating to their screen moments to help distinguish them? Let me know and I'll start doing that. With 20+ R2's, 3PO's, Lukes, Amidalas, quigy's, Anakins and DARTHS it can be hard to keep up for some. Just let me know and will apply descriptions in lists.That would certainly help. We got a little confused on one of the waves earlier when you were gone.

For this wave

Best - Anakin - Normally I don't like the cloaks like this, but it looks good on him and he also looks fine without it. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's cloaks can be removed, but the arm portion remains.

Worst - Qui-Gon. Hard to choose.

Darth Jax
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
best - amidala. we need more costumes still
worst - ani. probably still letting my disdain of jake's portrayal and jar jar interfere with objective voting.

Banthaholic
08-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Best Maul
Worst Anakin (espa)

Best: Queen Amidala (Coruscant)
Worst: Obi

TheDarthVader
08-18-2006, 09:34 AM
I will follow suit and say Amidala is the best and Obi Wan is the worst.

NOW:
Best
Queen Amidala 9 votes
Qui Gon Jinn (naboo) 2 votes
Obi Wan (naboo) 1 vote
Anakin (naboo) 1 vote

Worst
Obi Wan (naboo) 7 votes
Anakin (naboo) 3 votes
Darth Maul (tatooine) 1 vote
Queen Amidala 1 vote
Qui Gon Jinn (naboo) 1 vote

PREVIOUS:
Best
****Darth Maul (Tatooine Duel) 9 votes WELL, CAN'T ARGUE WITH THIS ONE.
Sebulba (Mos Espa) 3 votes

Worst
Jar Jar Binks (Mos Espa) 6 votes <STILL NO CLEAR WINNER>
Anakin (Mos Espa) 6 votes

Bosskman
08-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Best - Amidala (this is NOT, however, the Senate outfit, THAT had a black humped cloak over top of this outfit. It is, rather, from her pre-senate meeting with Anakin, BEFOR she put the cloak on for the senate) BRING ON SENATE PALPY AND QUEEN AMIDALA

Worst - Obi-Wan, just because he's the least of a great overall wave

Jaff
08-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Now it's time to vote on some seriously rare Cinema scenes three pack, and they were awesome too. The Rebel Pilots and Jabba Skiff guards were almost impossible to find in the beginning, and fetched high value. Their value soon cooled when a year later Toys R' Us and Kay Bee toys began dumping stores of these from their warehouses. Today they are still considered rare, and are well worth most any price paid.

9/99
Ten Numb (Rebel Pilots Three Pack)
Wedge Antillies (Rebel Pilots Three Pack)
Arvel Crynyd (Rebel Pilots Three Pack)
Klaatu (Jabba Skiff Guards Three Pack)
Barada (Jabba Skiff Guards Three Pack)
Nikto (Jabba Skiff Guards Three Pack)

Pick your best and worst out of this bunch!

dindae
08-19-2006, 07:17 AM
These were both great packs. For best I'm gonna say Ten Numb. And worst I'm going to pick on Barada mainly because I'm tired of him after the rerelease.

Jaff
08-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Ten Numb (Rebel Pilots Three Pack) - It's nice that they made this fig, but why not make the red outfit seen in the briefing room. I like this fig, but I don't go crazy over it.
Wedge Antillies (Rebel Pilots Three Pack) - Compared to the new Wedge, this fig is dated. At the time he was nice, and a vast improvement over the carry case pack in.
Arvel Crynyd (Rebel Pilots Three Pack) - This fig is nice, but what a bad pose, and when they made the 2003 A-Wing version he still didn't look much better.
Klaatu (Jabba Skiff Guards Three Pack) - Klaatu is impressive. Great face, costume, and pose. I can't say enough good things about the three pack he came in and this fig.
Barada (Jabba Skiff Guards Three Pack) - It's no surprise that the Saga 2 2006 remake of Barada was the exact same fig with minor repaint. The fig was well made and detailed great. It's really disappointing the red pants version has not been made even though they have rehashed this fig at least 3 times.
Nikto (Jabba Skiff Guards Three Pack) - A nice fig, and a great addition to the collection.

BEST - I gotta say Klaatu because Barada is just boring me after all his reissues, and he still doesn't have red pants.

WORST - Arvyl Crynyd. This fig never impressed me. I can't really pinpoint why, but he's the worst of the bunch, and he really is not a bad figure.

El Chuxter
08-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Best: Wedge

Least Best: Arvel

A very, very solid bunch of figures here.

Banthaholic
08-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Best: Wedge Antillies

Worst: Ten Numb

Darth Jax
08-19-2006, 09:19 AM
best - wedge, cause it's wedge.

worst - arvel, since i have to pick one.

sebillba
08-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Best - NIKTO

Worst - ARVEL

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Best - Wedge because, as already said, it is Wedge. I missed the carrying case version, and this one was better anyway. The recent carded version is better still. The fact that it took so long for them to finally put him on a card is a shame. Even then, it was an online exclusive.

Worst - I'm not a big fan of the skiff guards, so I'll say Nikto.

Tycho
08-19-2006, 10:33 AM
BEST: Wedge - I can't tell you how long I waited for a figure of him this good. I guess I've never seen an updated version of him since the 3-pack. How was it released? Wasn't it an exclusive carded figure? I didn't look as I didn't need more Wedge's for my scenes and I'm not a collector.

Klaatu really deserves an honorable mention, as that figure came out good.

WORST: Nikto I guess. He's slighly less "action poseable" than Barada is. But none of these are bad figures.

I'm sick and tired of that red-uniformed Y-wing pilot being attributed to the green uniform, blonde haired, A-Wing Pilot who crashed into the bridge of the Executer, killing Admiral Piett. THAT was Arvel Crynyd, not this red uniformed Y-wing Pilot Hasbro chose to box. In truth, there is no A-wing pilot in that 3-pack. You can tell by the type of helmet and gear they are wearing:

Wedge is an X-wing pilot
Ten Numb is a B-wing Pilot
"Arvel as Hasbro knows him" is a Y-wing Pilot.

The A-wing Pilot is included as a pack-in with the vehicle. That is either the real Arvel Crynyd, or a bad sculpt of a should-be-younger-looking Tycho Celchu (yeah, I WOULD know).

Kidhuman
08-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Barada is best

Nikto is worst.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2006, 12:10 PM
BEST: Wedge - I can't tell you how long I waited for a figure of him this good. I guess I've never seen an updated version of him since the 3-pack. How was it released? Wasn't it an exclusive carded figure? I didn't look as I didn't need more Wedge's for my scenes and I'm not a collector.This was an online exclusive. According to http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC05wedge.asp., he is composed of the Dutch Vander body with the head of the Rebel Pilot 3-pack Wedge. Here are some more pics - http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/otc/otclargegallery.php?toypic=151

Tycho
08-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks MSP. That's an even better figure it looks like. Somehow I recollect my face sculpt on my own figures being better quality than that though. Hmmm. Maybe they photo'd a bad one for their archive pictures?

tagmac
08-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Best: Wedge - this was just a great looking figure, and the removable helmet made it even better.

Worst: Barada - even with the rerelease, they still can't get the weapon right (he's supposed to have a force pike), nor the arm sculpt so that he could hold it like in the movie.

Bosskman
08-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Best - Nikto
Worst - Arvel

pegger
08-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Best - Wedge

Worst - Arvel. Hell - It's not even him!!! Wrong helmet, wrong uniform....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Best - Barada
Worst - Arvel "Not even close to being in the right costume" Crynyd

TheDarthVader
08-20-2006, 08:01 PM
I am going with Barada for best and Arvyl for worst.

NOW:
Best
Wedge Antilles 7 votes
Klaatu 1 vote
Ten Numb 1 vote
Nikto 2 votes
Barada 3 votes

Worst
Arvyl Crynyd 8 votes
Barada 2 votes
Ten Numb 1 vote
Nikto 3 votes

PREVIOUS:
Best
****Queen Amidala 10 votes SHE SMELLS LIKE THANKSGIVING TURKEY! SHE WINS!
Qui Gon Jinn (naboo) 2 votes
Obi Wan (naboo) 1 vote
Anakin (naboo) 1 vote

Worst
****Obi Wan (naboo) 8 votes SMELLS LIKE THE WATERCHESTNUTS BURNING. LOSER!
Anakin (naboo) 3 votes
Darth Maul (tatooine) 1 vote
Queen Amidala 1 vote
Qui Gon Jinn (naboo) 1 vote

Tycho
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
The Darth Vader: have you sniffed Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon Naboo's Jedi Robes?

The smell fades faster than the Mouse Droids, but it was pretty fresh when you first opened them.

I recommend the inhalation experience if you have any non-opened samples of those figures still around.

Jaff
08-21-2006, 05:26 AM
We got another batch of fresh Smelling figures for your pleasure and this group is gonna hurt because one of these outstanding figures is going to get voted as a worst, which is really a shame. Not rare at all, these Commtech figs were abundantly available, and easy finds in America.

9/99
Jawa and ďGonkĒ Droid
Han Solo
Greedo
Luke Skywalker with T-16 model

Which is your BEST out of this list? Also unfortunately which fig is your WORST as well?

Jaff
08-21-2006, 05:31 AM
Jawa and ďGonkĒ Droid - Finally a Power Droid, but the Jawa was the gem of this set. Unlike the first POTF version this Jawa had a holster carved into the sculpt, more detailed clothing, and a plastic robe that allowed us to see the little guys feet. It is the perfect Jawa representation to date.
Han Solo - Another astounding figure. Finally a Han that looked like Han, and this fig had many points of articulation, not to mention a pistol that could fit in his holster. His vest was even removable!
Greedo - When you compare the articulated Commtech Greedo next to the POTF Gredo itís really hard to believe the difference. This Greedoís head was bigger and more to scale, The fig had a removable vest, and could sit across from Han in any dioramma.
Luke Skywalker with T-16 model -The T-16 model that came with this Luke was cool, but the figure was the same as the ones we saw before. The only differance that stands out about this fig is that his knee and elbows had joints and it came with a spiffy tool that Luke used to clean R2 in the garage. The fig is very nice, but honestly it was just a rehash.

BEST - This feels like an impossible choice, but itís got to be Han, no Jawa/Gonk...... Yes, Iíll go with Jawa/Gonk for no reason other than I love the Jawa. Itís different from the other three Jawaís made at that time, and therefore a great variety for army builders. Han is still a favorite though.

WORST - Luke is a great fig, but he was at that time a been-there-done-that figure.

Battle Droid
08-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Best: Jawa w/ Gonk

Worst: Cantina Han, since they keep rehashing him when its not a very good figure to begin with.

Darth Jax
08-21-2006, 06:29 AM
best - awesome jawa and a gonk droid it just doesn't get any better.

worst - luke by a nose over what hasbro considers to be the definitive han since it keeps getting rereleased.

could it be a clean sweep?

sebillba
08-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Best - Jawa and Han are excellent figures, but it's got to be GREEDO for me - one of my all-time fave figs, until the recent VOTC version, which blows everything else away.

Worst - LUKE... still a very nice figure, but essentially a rehash.

Rogue II
08-21-2006, 08:38 AM
The whole wave was pretty good.

Best: Jawa/Gonk

Worst: Luke

tagmac
08-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Best: Han Solo - other than the VOTC version, this is the best of all the ones released in this outfit.

Worst: Luke Skywalker, for the same reasons already mentioned here. Not a bad figure, but the worst of this group.

dindae
08-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Best - Greedo. Excellent figure. Han isn't bad but the 40 rereleases of him make it hard for me to look at him without having bad thoughts. Jawa and Gonk are good for what they are but could be done better. And that leads us to
Worst - Luke good but I think the main character's likeness are something I'm overly critical on.

pegger
08-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Best - Jawa and gonk because...well...you got 2 figs!
Worst - Luke. I really like this Luke, but too many rehashes of the same fig killed this one.

Kidhuman
08-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Best - Greedo

Worst Han

mtriv73
08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Best: Gonk droid/jawa 2pack: I remember being really excited to get the Gonk. I bought at least 3 of those packs just for those (I didn't really care about the Jawas at the time, but htey came in handy when the sandcrawler came out.)

Worst: Luke. I still don't like the Han figure because it's been re-released so many times and I remeber seeing that Greedo sitting around forever. Still, they were great figures and I was really happy the first times I saw them. The Luke just had a goofy face sculpt and what was up with the kneeling pose?

El Chuxter
08-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Man, this is a tough wave. Some very nice figures here. For best, I'll say Han narrowly beats the Jawa. Sure, we're totally sick of the sculpt now, but it still was one of the best for its time, and it holds up well.

For worst, I guess I'll have to go with Luke. He'd already been done far better in the FlashBack wave, so this one was pretty useless.

Tycho
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
BEST: Han Solo - this is the first Han figure I've really liked actually. I voted him worst on so many waves, then Hasbro finally produced something right with him here! I don't mind all the re-releases. I don't collect card variations, as that is basically what they are. It's a good figure and like in the old days, figures are released on multiple cardbacks. This wasn't a bad one to pick for that. I think Tagmac nailed it when he said besides the VOTC Han, this is the definitive figure of him. I don't care if they keep re-carding him, as long as they keep him 1 per case or so. That way he won't pegwarm. You completists, if there are still any, can choke on him for all I care. No one's forcing you to buy him. But for the kiddies and newbies who want Han Solo, finally there is a good figure for them! Han CommTech rocks!

WORST: Luke T-16 Tatooine - my feeling was "Again?" Why didn't the CommTech chip say that? All of us were. Since this figure did not come with an ignited (or any kind of) lightsaber, he's not going to work out as the definitive Luke Tatooine. I've been tracking which figures of major characters or from the "big scenes" that I vote for, and as far as Luke Tatooine goes, the Purchase of the Droids one satisfied me for this kind of Luke thus far. I did buy a CommTech Luke to save in case they ever made Biggs Darklighter in Academy Uniform (which rumors say they actually are). But he's been useless to me thus far.

Bosskman
08-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Best - Greedo
Worst - Luke