PDA

View Full Version : The SW Best/Worst figure poll 1995 - 2007

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Jaff
06-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Welcome one and all to Star Wars Best/Worst figure poll. This poll will cover every action figure from 1995 - current day, which means this thread should last into 2007. I will update this post weekly with a new wave or group. After posting a years worth of figures an elimination round will occur to narrow down the worst and best of that year. By the end of the poll there will be one Worst fig, and one Best fig determined by your votes!

Figure voting criteria
Figures included will be carded, deluxe, exclusives, repaints, like: Imperial Scanning Trooper (Millennium Falcon Carry 1998) and Imperial Scanning Trooper (OTC 2004), retools, like: Han Solo (Commtech 1999), and Han Solo (SAGA 2006), and resculpts, like: Hammerhead (POTF 1996), Hammerhead (Cantina Bar Set - 2002), and Hammerhead (SAGA 2006). Figures that will not be included are rehashes, like: Red Shock Trooper (ROTS: 2005) and Red Shock Trooper (GREATEST HITS 2006). The way I see it is that a package does not make a new figure. Instead, a new figure is indeed a new figure in some sort of way.

Here are some requests to make this poll easier.
1. Make sure the figure you vote for is clearly stated so it is easier for me to poll. When THE DARTH VADER and I had done a poll like this in the past some folks would talk about a figure, but would not specify that they were voting for it.
2. Multiple votes for one figure are not allowed.
3. Changing your vote after you post is fine if you need to.
4. Vote for figures that are listed on the thread! Don’t jump forward! For instance if we’re voting on the POTJ collection (2000 - 2002) and someone chimes in to say that Agen Kolar (ROTS 2005) is the best fig of all time that will not be considered a part of the poll.
5. If you missed voting on earlier waves, it is fine for you to list the figures you want to vote for. I will integrate them into the poll results. This way if you were not here from the start of the poll you can still have a say on every figure if you want.

So now lets begin The Star Wars Best/Worst figure poll.

Jaff
06-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Our first set of figures was released in July 1995. The first Orange POTF wave began with bulging muscles and a male looking Leia. Most of the figures were easy to find with the exception of Leia, which was not very easy to find until late 1996. This wave is notoriously known for long sabers, transition trays, and 2 or 3 line belt Leia. In fact, the Orange POTF packaging and figures had the most variants of any other Star Wars line to date. This fact suggests to me that the variants were done on purpose to generate excitement for the line, or was a direct result of “birthing pains“ in getting the kinks out of the line. In the end we will never know and speculation abounds, but one thing was for sure. Star Wars was back!

July 1995: Orange carded
POTF: Luke Skywalker
POTF: Darth Vader
POTF: R2-D2
POTF: Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
POTF: Han Solo
POTF: Chewbacca
POTF: Stormtrooper
POTF: C-3PO
POTF: Princess Leia Organa

Who is your vote for the Best and the Worst of this wave?

Jaff
06-01-2006, 04:16 AM
If I look at this line in todays standards it doesn't really stand up, but back then I was psyched by this wave. However even then it didn't look quite right.

Luke Skywalker - What was his grappling hook gun, and what was with those muscles. I heard Arnold S was jealous of this fig!
Darth Vader - Actually this fig looked incredible at that time, and stood up for some time to come. Even now it doesn't look too bad!
R2-D2 - An R2 without sticker detail. No Waaaayyy! This fig really looked cool, and with a retractable third leg to boot!
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi - Ben was a pretty neat figure. Still he had a hard time standing.
Han Solo - Another muscle fig. What is going on with his huge shoulders. I heard Ren the chiwawa bided on his huge pectoral muscles!
Chewbacca - Like all of the new figs I could appreciate that they were very different from the vintage figs. Chewbacca is especially noteworthy, although he was not my favorite of this bunch.
Stormtrooper - This fig still is a good pick for army building. It can efficiently be used behind the VOTC and POTF2 Stormtroopers without standing out too much.
C-3PO - This fig was fine. I wasn't overly impressed with it, nor was I unimpressed with it.
Princess Leia Organa - From what monstrous factory did this beast come from. I can see some sculpter screaming in the shadows. IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!

Best of this Wave - R2-D2

Worst of this Wave - That Princess that starred in the Fifth Element!

Kidhuman
06-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Worst - Monkey Faced Leia

Best - Chewie and R2 look the best of this line. I will go with Chewie here.

dindae
06-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Its funny for a figure that everyone was searching for that Leia is now the bottom of the pile. But I think I'm going to go with Luke for the worst pick here. Aside from the outfit being correct there is nothing accurate about this figure. For the best I will have to say R2-D2. Easily the figure that can stand the best with today's figures.

Rogue II
06-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Best: R2
Worst: Princess "That's no woman, it's a man, baby" Leia.

Darth Cruel
06-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Best - R2-D2 - He had the closest to the correct articulation and sculpt as any of the figures in the wave.

Worst - I would say all the others except C-3PO, but I have to choose one...so it would be Luke because of all the unforgiveable lousy articulation, accessories and sculpt, it affected his character the most.

JON9000
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
BEST- Stormtrooper

WORST- Leia

2-1B
06-01-2006, 10:55 AM
BEST - Stormtrooper (with Artoo a close, close second)

WORST - Princess Leia (and not even because of the sculpt, but because she couldn't stand up. If my vote was strictly sculpt based I would vote Luke because he is horrible...but at least he can stand up).

TheDarthVader
06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
BEST R2-D2
WORST Leia

Banthaholic
06-01-2006, 12:15 PM
At the time, just having any figures come out, all where awesome. Though by todays standards I'd say:

Worst: Easy to pick this one, Leia

Luuuuuuke
06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Best-R2-D2

Worst-Leia (though Balco Luke was pretty bad).

tagmac
06-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Best: Vader

Worst: Luke (the muscles overshadow Leia's face, and I added a due to it's popularity thanks to the false shortage created by Hasbro packing one per every few cases, then claiming it was discontinued)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Meh, after ten years and countless resculpts of all of these characters, the first wave is pretty damn miserable. On second thought, the first few years were pretty damn miserable.

Anyway, from the choices:
Best - R2-D2
Worst - Luke Skywalker

Slicker
06-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Worst: Luke

Rocketboy
06-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Worst: Leia

mtriv73
06-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Best: R2-D2 with 3-po a close second

Worst: Princess Leia

TheRealDubya
06-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I remember seeing Wave 1 in Lee's AFN&TR from the '95 Toy Fair and being pretty damned excited, and then the line kept getting better and better looking (that is, more movie accurate) as the demand for action figure integrity increased (thanks McFarlane.) But yeah, they pretty much make me wince now. I'll go with the consensus:

BEST: R2-D2
WORST: Leia

Dominic Guglieme
06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
post edited

Darth Jax
06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
i'll add my votes, even though it seems like R2 will runaway with the victory. the battle between monkey faced leia and king kong luke might be closer.

best: R2
worst: missing link leia

Reefer Shark
06-01-2006, 08:21 PM
The best:
I'd say that R2 is the most movie-acurate of the bunch, but I'm gonna have to go with Vader.

Mainly because at the time, it was awesome. I remember looking at this guy compared to the vintage figure (since that's all we had for Vader at the time), and I was so impressed by the '95 version. Of course he's nothing compared to the Vaders we get now, but back in '95 I just loved this figure.

-------

The worst:
I'm gonna have to go with Luke. They were all muscle-bound figures back then, but it seemed like it stood out on Luke the most. The muscles make him look older to me for some reason. Han and Chewie were pretty bad too, but at least you were able to get them in some almost-decent poses.

Monkey faced Leia was also really bad, but they all have bad facial sculpts, so I'm not gonna single her out for that.

El Chuxter
06-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Best, I'm going with Chewie. Not movie-accurate, but probably the best of the bunch. They guy's supposed to be buff.

Worst, should I even bother stating it? I have a feeling ol' Monkey-Face is going to unanimously take this one. She may even win "worst figure of all."

Mad Slanted Powers
06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Best - R2-D2
Worst - Leia

I'm not too fond of Ben and Chewie either. Threepio, stormtrooper and Vader aren't too bad.

Thanks for starting this thread Jaff. I first started posting more frequently here back when you and TDV were doing the wave by wave worst figure thread. I missed out on the best figure thread. This is a good idea of putting both together in one thread. We've had over two years of figures since the worst figure poll ended, and over two and a half years since the best figure poll ended. Lots of great new figures to vote on when we get to that point. I've opened a lot of figures since then, so that has affected my opinions on a lot of figures. I even briefly considered starting a thread like this, but figured it was something best left for the experts.

Kidhuman
06-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Worst, should I even bother stating it? I have a feeling ol' Monkey-Face is going to unanimously take this one. She may even win "worst figure of all."

I was thinking the same thing here with her taking it all. Then again it will be a battle between her and R5-D4.

sebillba
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Best - Chewie.... because it's Chewie.

Worst - Leia... not just for the monkey face, but because I ended up paying about $50 for her. That still hurts, especially when I see her now and again in bargain bins.

Jaff
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Here is the current results of the poll as of Sebillba's post.

BEST
R2-D2 - 14 votes
Chewbacca - 3 votes
Stormtrooper - 2 votes
Darth Vader - 2 votes

WORST
Who would have guessed Leia - 15 votes
Luke Skywalker - 6 votes

There's a good chance I will post a new wave to vote on within the next 48 hours so keep your eyes pealed on this thread!

Jaff
06-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Our next waves were released on 12/95 and 3/96 and they were an awesome treat for eager collectors. Not only did they have some cool looking characters, but Hasbro also made a never seen before figure: A shirtless Luke Skywalker in Dagobah Fatigues. Like the first wave released earlier in 1995 there was an abundance of variations, which seem blatantly forced. Luke in X-Wing and Dagobah still had long saber, transition tray issues. Boba Fett conveniently sported the most errors of any other figure in this line to date. Circle on hands, insignia missing and on and on were this figures credos. Han in Hoth had closed/open hand issues, and even the TIE Fighter pilot had sticker issues. Some of these figs still command high values today, showing that even the new line could command value like the vintage line. Some Fett variants demand values in excess to $1,000 today.

12/95: Orange Card
Luke Skywalker in X-Wing Gear
Boba Fett
Lando Calrissian

3/96: Orange Card
TIE Fighter Pilot
Yoda
Han Solo in Hoth Gear
Luke Skywalker in Dagobah Fatigues

So which figure is the BEST and WORST of these waves?

Jaff
06-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Luke Skywalker in X-Wing Gear - Although there was still some muscle issues with this fig it looked good. I still use this fig in my snowspeeder, or in the back of a pilot briefing diorama, and it blends in fine with new figs.
Boba Fett - At the time this fig was incredibly detailed compared to what we were used to. I didnít care one bit about circle this or insignia that, because I opened my variant. It looked too good to keep in the package.
Lando Calrissian - Ummmmm, right! Landoís muscles are an issue here. I say this because he is so beefcaked that the figure was not even strong enough to support his cape. It was sculpted so bad it fell off all the time unless you posed the fig in a hunching position. You know, itís not too hard to sculpt figures to stand!
TIE Fighter Pilot - This figure looks just as good as any new fig today. The new TIE Pilot may be more streamline and clothing correct, but if the TIE Pilot was never remade I donít think I would have thought twice about it. A truely spectacular fig.
Yoda - This fig came with a backpack! Awesome, no way! Cooooooool! Despite my initial reaction I still prefered the vintage Yoda over this one. I just loved the cloth cape and the belt detail. Donít forget the snake too.
Han Solo in Hoth Gear - Iím sorry to say that I never considered this fig as Han Solo. From the day I bought it I considered this fig a Rebel Soldier. Nuff said!
Luke Skywalker in Dagobah Fatigues - It was cool to see a figure never made before even though it was too muscular and had trouble standing. Still it wasnít the best or worst of these waves.

The BEST: Hands down TIE Fighter Pilot

The Worst: Heavy cape Lando Calrissian

Rocketboy
06-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Best - Dagobah Luke
Worst - Yoda. It's just too damn goofy looking.

sebillba
06-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Best - YODA!! Not the greatest artculation, but I still like the sculpt better than some of the more recent pea-head versions.

Worst - I almost went for TIE Pilot, as mine would never stand without an extreme pelvic thrust pose, but overall it has to be LANDO.

Banthaholic
06-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Best: At the time it was Dagobah Luke, sure it's buff and we have a better scult now, but in the POTF-2 era, it was our first never before released figure and for that it gets my vote

Worst: Lando, Billy Dee gave up Colt 45 and was spending too much time at the gym

dindae
06-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Well if I were going with what I thought at the time it would be luke dagobah or boba fett but Yoda will get my vote since he still looks passable.Worst will have to go to Lando. The muscles and the fact that the cape falls off any time I try to move his arms make him a poor figure.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2006, 11:13 AM
This round is a bit tougher. Most of these early figures are ones that I have not opened. Stormtrooper and TIE Fighter Pilot are the only figures from these first two rounds of voting that I have opened. By the time I started opening figures, I opened newer, better versions of the characters.

One of the first figures I remember opening years ago because I had a duplicate was the TIE Fighter Pilot. This was where I first discovered that many of these newer figures didn't stand or hold their guns as well as vintage figures.

Regarding the Luke Dagobah, the Action Figure Archive book says he can only stand with Yoda in the backpack on his back. I can't say how well this works since I've not opened them.

All that being said, I'll give LUKE DAGOBAH the BEST vote. This is one figure where the muscular look works better.

For WORST, I'll go with LANDO. His sculpt and pose do him in. Despite my intial reaction with the Tie Fighter Pilot, it is still a decent looking figure.

Rogue II
06-03-2006, 11:53 AM
The BEST: Hands down [B]TIE Fighter Pilot

The Worst: Heavy cape Lando Calrissian

Agreed.:yes:

Slicker
06-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Best - Lando (the face sculpt was pretty darned good for early POTF2

Worst - Han Hoth (his pose was uberly ridiculous and he couldn't even stand)

Reefer Shark
06-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Best - Boba Fett. Sure he sucks compared to todays standards, but they all do... IMO, there wasn't a more detailed 3 3/4 figure to be had at the time.

Worst - Lando. For the same reasons everyone else has mentioned...

Darth Jax
06-03-2006, 08:36 PM
best - Boba. doesn't matter that his appeal was ruined by being jango's clone, he's still one great character.

worst - lando. there've been several bad sculpts of him, and this is one of them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Best - Boba Fett. Until the 300th version came out, this one was pretty damn cool.

Worst - Hoth Han. Either give him the hood or don't, but don't puss out and give him the idiotic head-wrap thing.

El Chuxter
06-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Worst: Luke Dagobah. Sure, it was a new figure, but to require you to purchase another figure (Yoda) to balance him properly? That was sucktacular.

Best: Boba Fett. He's outdated, but holds up better than most pre-97 figures.

mtriv73
06-03-2006, 10:38 PM
The best was Boba Fett this is the figure that got me into this crazy hobby.

The worst was Lando. Not only was it a bad sculpt, but it was hard to find. I remember laying out $18 for that figure from a collector shop when I couldn't find him for three months.

Kidhuman
06-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Boba is the best, Hoth Han is the worst.

pegger
06-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Boba was the best- although all the variations annoyed me...

Hoth Han was the worst.

TheDarthVader
06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I am going back and forth between Boba and Tie Pilot for the best. I am going to vote for Boba Fett for the best.

For the worst, I am going back and forth between Hoth Han and Lando. But I am going to vote for Hoth Han Solo because I never had any kind of love for that figure. He sculpt was horrible, the paint sucked, the hood was off, the stance looked funky, and he looked stupid when on the taun taun.

B.
TDV

Luuuuuuke
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Best--The Tie Pilot by a mile. It was the first human figure that did not look like it was totally on steroids. Boba Fett has a big puffed out fat pigeon torso that doesn't look great on the small legs.

Worst: Hoth Han I guess.

v7sg
06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
from the previous poll:
Best: R2 D2

from this one:
Best: Boba Fett
Worst: Lando

tagmac
06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Best: Luke X-Wing Pilot

Worst: Hoth Han (hood needed to be up!)

Jaff
06-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Here is the tallies on all votes as of post Tagmac's vote on post #46. Included is the updated numbers on the first poll.

Wave 1 POTF

BEST
R2-D2 - 15 votes
Chewbacca - 3 votes
Stormtrooper - 2 votes
Darth Vader - 2 votes

WORST
Princess Leia Organa - 16 votes
Luke Skywalker - 6 votes

wave 2 POTF

Best
TIE Fighter Pilot 3
Luke Skywalker Dagobah 3
Lando 1
Yoda 2
Boba Fett 9
Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot 1

Worst
Lando Calrissian 10
Yoda 1
Han in Hoth 7
Luke Skywalker Dagobah 1

Boba is clearly the Best in this wave with 9 votes.
Lando Calrissian holds 10 votes for the worst, with Han three votes shy.

Jaff
06-06-2006, 06:15 AM
In June 1996 the Shadows of the Empire waves became a constant sight in stores. By Christmas this wave of figures was everywhere and many at that time complained about it because of the pegwarmers that were to follow. For me, I was not interested in expanded universe figs. I was thirsty for film figs, but I have to admit that the Shadow line looked nice. Of course there were variants that grabbed much attention. The Han in Carbonite had a problem getting his name right on the card, and many were looking for the tan vested Luke in Jedi Knight.

June 1996
Dash Rendar
Chewbacca in Bounty Hunter Disguise
Luke Skywalker in Imperial Guard Disguise
Prince Xizor
Leia in Boushh Disguise
Luke Skywalker in Jedi Knight
Han Solo in Carbonite

So who do you vote as the Best and Worst figure in this wave?

Slicker
06-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Best - Without a doubt Leia Boushh

Worst - Chewie

Jaff
06-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Dash Rendar - Yeah, yeah, itís the attack of the accessories. This fig came complete with a backpack - shoulder - super gun accessory which seemed like a bit too much. The SW universe is supposed to be lived in. How is this guy going to be realistically mobile in a gunfight? His pistol was actually quite cool, and the fig looked fair. The truth is there was nothing impressive, or unimpressive about this fig overall. This one is simply O.K.!
Chewbacca in Bounty Hunter Disguise - This is a very funny figure. It looks tacky and gruf at the same time. Yet every time I look at this fig I think of McBane from the Simpsons.
Luke Skywalker in Imperial Guard Disguise - We had never seen Luke in an expanded outfit before, and the sculptors obviously put some effort into making this fig look genuine.
Prince Xizor - I like Xizor as an EU character, and the figure did him justice, but what are FANS doing with him? Did they want him to be a Geisha Warrior?
Leia in Boushh Disguise - This fig is nothing more than a retooling of the same vintage fig we had in 1983. I wasnít impressed with this (POTF) version, and Iím still not impressed.
Luke Skywalker in Jedi Knight - I remember thinking Hasbro had a testosterone problem because of all the muscleís on the figs and this Luke was no exception. If it wasnít for his ďbeef-cakeĒ quality he would have been my favorite figure.
Han Solo in Carbonite - Han was still too Bulky, however the Carbonite looked great. In fact it is still the Carbonite I use in my displays to this day. Even the new Saga 2 Carbonite does not look as good since it has that red tint on it. Now if they just made the Saga 2 Carbonite with a solid color that would change my tune.

For the Worst, that's easy: Chewbacca in Bounty Hunter Disguise.

For the Best, that's actually very hard. I say this because I see all these figs as just O.K. in my eyes. I guess it has to come down to two figs. Han's Carbonite still stands up to everything new. I love the teeth detail in the sculpt. The fig is useless though. Luke in disguise is really cool. I never bought it because I don't collect EU, but I will have to admit this fig really is the best of the bunch. I vote for Luke in disguise this round.

Kidhuman
06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
I did not get the EU figures, so I will pass on voting here

dindae
06-06-2006, 08:24 AM
This is hard since these are all about the same level to me. For the best I think I'm going to have to go with Xizor. Most of the humans still had that barrel chest which still didn't sit right. The worst um er Jedi Luke at the time I really liked the figure but looking back there really isn't anything that hasn't been improved upon.

mtriv73
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM
I really liked the Luke Jedi so I'll take it for best.

The worst, by a whole galaxy, is chewie in bounty hunter disguise.

Darth Jax
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
this is a hard wave, none stand out as superb or completely horrible. i'd elect xizor as the worst and give the honors of best to han (but i'd likely change my mind next week).

Rocketboy
06-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Best - while I love the Han in Carbonite, the Han figure itself was pretty meh. Leia was much better overall.

Worst - Dash was ok, but as I recall, he couldn't stand for carp. But I'll have to go with the crowd so far and say Chewie (although it was nice to see a variation on a figure that never changed in the movies).

sebillba
06-06-2006, 10:35 AM
The EU figures are probably a lot more interesting than the three film figures, especially Imp Guard Luke, but I'm always going to go for classic over EU.

Best: very close between Han and Luke, but (at the time) the removable jedi cloak was particularly cool, so I'm going for LUKE.

Worst: they're all pretty nice, but I'll say DASH, as I have no interest in the character.

sebillba
06-06-2006, 10:54 AM
P.S. This wave holds a certain fondness in my heart, as I found them on my first ever visit to the States - picked them all up in Walmart for about the same price as 3 figures back home in England!

Banthaholic
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Best: Luke in Imperial Disguise. I never got the vintage Luke in Stormtrooper armor, so when this came out it was awesome. Plus it's a cool looking stormtrooper meets imperial guard kinda outfit.

Worst: I really don't have one but by default the award goes to Dash Rendar

Luuuuuuke
06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Best--Boush Leia(I passed on the Saga One because I think this one is still better).

Worst--Chewie in Bounty Hunter disguise(Can you really picture Chewbacca in any kind of disguise? And can you picture a wookie as a bounty hunter?)

TheRealDubya
06-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Best: Leia Boussh
Worst: Chewie Snoova (awful figure); Xizor ain't far behind though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Best - Han in Carbonite. I still think the old block is better than the new one.

Worst - Xizor. Stupid figure for a stupid character.

Daryl VayDar
06-06-2006, 04:43 PM
From the Shadows line, I think that the best was Boushh Leia and the worst was that wonky Chewbacca.

v7sg
06-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Best- Han in Carbonite

Worst- Chewbacca

Deoxyribonucleic
06-06-2006, 05:20 PM
1st Poll: Best = C3PO, Worst = Leia

2nd Poll: Best = Tie Pilot, Worst = Dagobah Luke

Current Poll: Best = Leia as Boushh, Worst = Crewcut Chewie

Bacta Beast
06-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Worst = R5-D4 (POTF2)
Best = Super Posable Clone (I can't think of a way to improve them).

Okay ball joint hips . . . .but that's it!!!!

Reefer Shark
06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Worst = R5-D4 (POTF2)
Best = Super Posable Clone (I can't think of a way to improve them).
Hey Bacta,
We're not quite up to those figures yet in the poll (R5-D4 is coming up shortly). What do you think of the SOTE wave? That's what we're voting on right now.:yes:

I will agree with you on your vote for the clone though, I'm sure that guys gonna give everyone else a good run for their money when he comes up in the poll.

-----

I really liked this wave when they came out. Especially Jedi Luke, Han w/carbonite, Liea Boush, and Imperial guard Luke. I agree with everyone on Han's carbonite block, that's definitely the best one they've produced in that scale to date. Much better than the "too small/red glow" Saga2 version IMO.

The best:
I will have to go with Jedi Luke. The actual figure wasn't as good as the vintage one IMO, but the hooded cloak is what sold me. I'm pretty sure that was the first time they made one, and it actually worked pretty well with that figure.

The worst:
as Deoxy put it "Crewcut Chewie" ...nuff said on that one!

tagmac
06-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Best: Leia Boushh

Worst: Guri (for not being made when it should have been) :D
Seriously though, I have to go with Flattop Chewie as the worst.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Best - Luke Jedi
Worst - Han Carbonite.

With Luke, we are starting to see the figures get less muscular. Plus he looks pretty good with the cloak on.

Han, however, has not slimmed down enough. The figure just doesn't look right to me.

Bacta Beast
06-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Hey Bacta,
We're not quite up to those figures yet in the poll (R5-D4 is coming up shortly). What do you think of the SOTE wave? That's what we're voting on right now.:yes:

I will agree with you on your vote for the clone though, I'm sure that guys gonna give everyone else a good run for their money when he comes up in the poll.

Oooooooooh! :sur: :Ponder: :Par: :Ponder: :stupid: :crazed: Oooops!

I feel sheepish!

Bacta Beast
06-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Okay, Best = Liea. quite a jump ahead from the others Lieas they were making at the time. Decent sculpt I fealt!

Worst = I guess Han. I like the carbon block. But I hated the figure.

TheDarthVader
06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Clearly, Leia in disguise is the best.

Certainly, Chewbacca in disguise is the worst.

tagmac
06-07-2006, 11:54 AM
No disrespect meant to you, Jaff, but I started a similar thread for the 12" figures in that forum, for those who would also like to participate. Hope to see you guys join in.

Jaff
06-08-2006, 12:48 AM
No disrespect meant to you, Jaff, but I started a similar thread for the 12" figures in that forum, for those who would also like to participate. Hope to see you guys join in.

I'll be seeing you in your Poll Tagmac!

Jaff
06-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Here is our new voting update. We have some more additions to the earlier waves which are included.

Wave 1 Orange POTF

BEST
R2-D2 - 15
Chewbacca - 3
Stormtrooper - 2
Darth Vader - 2
C-3PO 1

WORST
Princess Leia Organa - 17
Luke Skywalker - 6

wave 2 Orange POTF

Best
TIE Fighter Pilot 4
Luke Skywalker Dagobah 3
Lando 1
Yoda 2
Boba Fett 9
Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot 1

Worst
Lando Calrissian 10
Yoda 1
Han in Hoth 7
Luke Skywalker Dagobah 2

Wave 3 Shadows of the Empire/POTF

Best
Han Solo Carbonite 3
Princess Leia Boussh 8
Luke Skywalker Imperial Disguise 3
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight 4
Xizor 1

Worst
Dash Rendar 2
Han in Carbonite 2
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight 1
Chewbacca (Snoova) 12
Xizor 2

Jaff
06-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Now that we have covered most of the Orange and Shadows carded figs it’s time to vote on all the rest of the stuff that was released from Feb 1996 - January 1997. As you know the next wave we will vote on will be the famous Sandtrooper/R5-D4 wave which really defined the POTF line. Before we get to that lets clean up all the straggler items not voted on so far.

2/96 - Biker Scout (Imperial Speeder Bike pack in)
7/96 - Boba Fett (SOTE Boba vs. IG 2-pack)
7/96 - IG-88 (SOTE Boba vs. IG 2-pack)
7/96 - Swoop Pilot (Swoop pack in)
7/96 - Deluxe Luke (Desert Sport Skiff)
7/96 - Deluxe Han Solo (Smuggler flight pack)
7/96 - Deluxe Stormtrooper (Crowd Control)
1/97 - Deluxe Boba Fett (Rocketpack)
1/97 - Probe Droid

The following figures were not included in this poll.
7/96 - Xixor vs. Vader - These figures are literally identical to their carded counterparts. Unlike Boba Fett (vs. 2-pack) these figures had infinitesimal paint or sculpt changes. However if you feel compelled to vote for one of these figs on this poll, your opinion will be counted!

So who’s your BEST and WORST out of this “rag-tag” list?

Note: Han in Stormtrooper mail away figure was not forgotten. It will be posted in a later poll!

Jaff
06-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Yuck, what a list. Not much to work with here, but here goes.

Biker Scout - I’m sorry to say that I considered this figure junk because it could not stand without doing the splits. It could have easily been given a ball joint.
Boba Fett (SOTE Boba vs. IG 2-pack) - This Boba looks like an uncompleted figure. I don’t know why they ignored most of his paint deco, but it still looks better than most of the figures in this poll.
IG-88 (SOTE Boba vs. IG 2-pack) - When this fig first came out I was eager because it had some new paint details that enhanced the vintage version of this fig. I liked this fig, but not enough to be impressed with it.
Swoop Pilot (Swoop pack in) - The Swoop Pilot actually looked good. He could stand with no problem, and was a great looking fig for the time. Still I wasn’t a Shadows fan, and I never purchased it.

Dear Hasbro, what on earth motivated you to design these?

Deluxe Luke (Desert Sport Skiff) - The ultimate in cheesy. Nothing more than a beefcake Luke and a funny looking vehicle. Honestly I was not going to include this item in this poll because the fig is no different than the carded version. In the end all the other Deluxe’s made it on the poll, so this one was added.
Deluxe Han Solo (Smuggler flight pack) - Ummmmmmm, yeah, right, nuff said!
Deluxe Stormtrooper (Crowd Control) - There’s nothing like a good pig sticker, yellow clamp, x-wing blaster piece jutting out a hole in your back!
Deluxe Boba Fett (Rocketpack) - This has to be the most absurd looking thing I have ever seen out of the Hasbro SW line. I mean this whole getup only fires one rocket. It would take Boba forever to put it on and start it up. Duh...............
Deluxe Probe Droid - Now this is more like it, what a cool looking droid that actually can stand realistically (unlike the vintage playset Probot). This thing was awesomely accurate with exception to the orange projectile. I had a solution for that. I got me a nifty box marker and colored it. It looks perfect now, and I still display it proudly.

The BEST - Easy: Probe Droid.
The WORST - Can I vote for every Deluxe and proctol damaged Biker Scout. Oh Well, I guess I gotta pick Han with Smuggle flight pack because his orange straps make him a perfect target for ROADKILL!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Best = Probot

Worst = Deluxe Luke

Darth Jax
06-08-2006, 07:52 AM
best - probot

worst - stormtrooper

dindae
06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
The best is the Probot.

Worst is Deluxe Han.

Kidhuman
06-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Best - Biker Scout

Worst - Deluxe Han.

tagmac
06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Best - Probot

Worst - Deluxe Luke

Rogue II
06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Best: IG-88

Worst: Deluxe Luke

sebillba
06-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Best - BIKER SCOUT

Worst - DELUXE HAN

TheRealDubya
06-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Best: Biker Scout
Worst: Deluxe Luke

TheDarthVader
06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Best is Probe Droid
Worst is Han Solo

v7sg
06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Best: Probe Droid

Worst: Han Deluxe

Slicker
06-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Best: IG-88. The figure was so perfect that they literally remolded it from the vintage.

Worst: Can I say ALL of the deluxes? If not then I pick Han

Banthaholic
06-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Best: Probot, just a cool release
Worst: Home Depot Han

Mad Slanted Powers
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Best - IG-88
Worst - Deluxe Luke

Rocketboy
06-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Best - IG-88 (SOTE Boba vs. IG 2-pack)
Worst - Deluxe Han Solo (Smuggler flight pack)

El Chuxter
06-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I've been milling over the SOTE, and I'm finally ready to answer the last two:

Best:
Xizor: Sure, the character's pretty lame. But the figure is sweet.
Deluxe Stormtrooper: Silly, and a bad mold, but he's the only one of the made-up Deluxe figures I could actually see existing in SW.

Worst:
Leia: Phbbbbbbbbt!!!
Deluxe Luke: Just plain dumb. And, seriously, what's with the backpack hole in the back?

Jaff
06-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Here are the current results of the poll as of El Chuxter’s last poll #91

Wave 1, Orange POTF
BEST - R2-D2 with 15 votes
WORST - Princess Leia Organa with a whopping 17 votes

Wave 2, Orange POTF
BEST - Boba Fett with 9 votes
WORST - Lando Calrissian with 10 votes

Wave 3 Shadows/Orange POTF
BEST - Princess Leia Boussh with 8 votes
WORST - Chewbacca as Bounty Hunter with 12 votes.

Assorted figures from Feb 96/Jan 97
Best
Probot with 8 votes
Biker Scout (from speeder bike) with 3 votes
IG-88 with 4 votes
Deluxe Stormtooper with 1 vote

Worst
Deluxe Han Solo with 9 votes
Deluxe Stormtrooper with 1 vote
Deluxe Luke Skywalker with 6 votes

Clearly there is no love for the Deluxe figs. Tommorrow I will post our next wave of figures.

Jaff
06-10-2006, 07:14 AM
At Christmas fans were surprised to see the new wave come out early, and within one month the new Green package was released making the orange versions of these figures something of a rarity. This wave was the molds that literally raised the bar on the Star Wars line. The Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper has still not been remade, and even the Jawas (rereleased in the OTC line and the Jawa Sandcrawler) still stand up to newer sculpts in detail.

December 1996 - POTF Orange
Greedo
Sandtrooper
Death Star Gunner
Tusken Raider
R5-D4
Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise
Jawas
Momaw Nadon ďHammerheadĒ

So which one of these figs is the Best and Worst in your opinion?

Jaff
06-10-2006, 07:17 AM
With exception to R5-D4, these figs are really tough to vote on. Itís hard not to judge by todays standards because both Greedo and Momaw are really poor figs compared to the new sculpts. However, back then they were excellent. Suspending my standards of today, and my shock at the quality of these figs back then is quite a contrast. This was really an incredible wave!

Greedo - Since the vintage Greedo never had his vest, this fig was top notch. The detail of the face was vastly superb considering figures before it.
Sandtrooper - When I first saw this fig on the shelf I was so happy I almost had an accident. After years of dreaming of such a fig it came true. The accessories were perfect, and despite the muscular look of the fig it still rocked.
Death Star Gunner - Back then I wanted them to make every vintage fig possible, especially the POTF figs that came with coins back in 1985. I bought multiple Death Star Gunners which was a treat because I could never afford to do so before.
Tusken Raider - The best Tusken Raider for years. It still can be used with the newer sculpted versions, and it still holds itís own. It does not look out of place with the Episode I, Saga, OTC, and new VOTC Tusken.
R5-D4 - What is this rocket thing? Why the jutting leg? How could they fathom people would like this fig?
Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise - Still not remade, and still looking just fine. In my eyes they donít need to remake this one.
Jawas - A perfect army builder, and two in one package. They still look great with all the other Jawas!
Momaw Nadon ďHammerheadĒ - Back then this was the most impressive fig of the bunch. Despite itís silly gun, itís vest was really cool. The hands, head and legs looked perfect, and only until I got the Saga 2 version did I see it as not perfect!

BEST - Tough, very tough. Sandtrooper gets a lot of points for nostalgia, and Jawas just because they are still worthy to be in current waves. Momaw was awesome, and it pains me to pick one. Yet looking back, and looking at todays figs I have to say the Jawas hold the crown. They were quality then, and reign strong today!
WORST - R5-D4, I donít think I need to explain on this one. My only question will this fig receive a unanomous vote?

v7sg
06-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Best: this is a hard one between Sandtrooper and Luke in Stormtrooper. I'll go with Luke

Worst: Definitely R5-D4

tagmac
06-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Best: Sandtrooper, hands down!!!

Worst: R5-D4

dindae
06-10-2006, 10:14 AM
R5-D4 easily wins the worst.

Best I will go for Momaw Nadon. While I like the improvments I had no problems with the first one.

El Chuxter
06-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Best: Jawas.

Worst: Need I even say it? Super-Mega Rocket Action Force R5-D4.

Banthaholic
06-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Best: Sandtrooper, always wanted one as a kid to go with the Vintage Dewback
Worst R5

Rogue II
06-10-2006, 11:27 AM
This was a really good wave.

Best: Jawas
Worst: R5-D4

Slicker
06-10-2006, 12:12 PM
This is one of the easiest ever:

Best - Jawas

Worst - R5-D4

Luuuuuuke
06-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Best--Jawas (easy despite this being a really good wave)

Worst--Sandtrooper(at the risk of being ridiculed , R5-D4 looked more like the movie version than the POTF stormtroopers and sandtroopers. And the muscular figures bother me a lot more today than they did back then. I can't even enjoy displaying them with other stormtroopers. POTF proved that they could make excellent, somewhat realistic looking figures, so I never understood why the hell they went with the fat top-heavy pigeon look. I'm really against the Balco look:D

Kidhuman
06-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Jawas are the best

Worst - the droid that resembles R5

TheDarthVader
06-10-2006, 01:15 PM
EASY! Best JAWAS Worst R5-D4

Darth Jax
06-10-2006, 01:21 PM
leading the pack of the best is my favorite hammerhead - mamow. and nearly a complete sweep for R5 as worst.

Reefer Shark
06-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Best:
A toss up between Sandtrooper and Jawas.... I'm gonna go with Sandtrooper because I remember being so happy to see him released. The Jawas may be better sculpts, but the trooper takes it for nostalgia.

Worst:
All too easy..... R5-D4

2-1B
06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Best: R5-D4. Sandy and DSGunner were great.

Worst: Tusken Raider. I hated this new version compared to the vintage one of my youth. Greedo gets honorable mention since his head is too small.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I'll go along with the rest and say R5-D4 is the worst.

Best is a bit more difficult. I can't go with the Tusken, because I don't like the fact that his right hand is closed, thus he can't hold his stick with two hands. I don't like the one piece legs of the jawas. I preferred the vintage ones, with the cloth robe on or off. Hammerhead, Luke and Sandtrooper are all decent figures. I'm split between Greedo and the Death Star Gunner. Greedo is the most improved over the lime green vintage figure, but the DSG is a better looking figure with a little better pose than Greedo.

Best - Death Star Gunner
Worst - R5-D4

sebillba
06-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Best - GREEDO. Sure he was badly proportioned, and he's been done so much better since, but at the time I was thrilled with this one.

Worst - has to be R5-D4.

Rocketboy
06-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Best - Jawas
Worst - Tusken Raider

Jaff
06-12-2006, 04:18 AM
The results are in as of Rocketboy's post #110. It's clear that this wave was a powerful wave. All but one of the figures were voted by somebody as the best. Even one person voted as R5-D4 as the best of the group!!!!!!!!!!!!:cross-eye It was clear to all that R5-D4 would take the cake for the worst, but it was not unanomous. Two other figs were listed as worse than R5 by three different voters for good reasons.

BEST
Luke Skywalker Stormtooper Disguise 1
Sandtrooper 3
Jawas 8
Momaw Nadon 2
R5-D4 1
Death Star Gunner 1
Greedo 1

WORST
R5-D4 14
Sandtrooper 1
Tusken Raider 2

Jaff
06-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Now it's time to wrap up two years worth of figures (with the exception of Han Solo Stormtrooper disguise). As I have done in the past with polls like this I enjoy narrowing down the playfield so we all know who is currently polled as the king or dud of all figures before starting a new years worth of figures. So here is where your vote really counts the most. Who is going to reighn the BEST and the WORST out of the following?

BEST - R2-D2 (Wave 1/Orange)
Boba Fett (Wave 2/Orange)
Princess Leia Boussh (Wave 3 Shadows/Orange POTF)
Probe Droid (Deluxe)
Jawas (Wave 4 Orange/Green)

WORST - Princess Leia Organa (Wave 1/Orange)
Lando Calrissian (Wave 2/Orange)
Chewbacca as Snoova (Wave 3 Shadows/Orange POTF)
Deluxe Han Solo with Smuggler Flight Pack (Deluxe)
R5-D4 (Wave 4 Orange/Green)

Jaff
06-12-2006, 04:48 AM
The BEST is pretty easy for me.

R2-D2 (Wave 1/Orange) - R2 was great, but how many R2's have been made, over 20? Maybe 30? The repetiveness of this figure has taxed my desire to let this figure stand above the rest!
Boba Fett (Wave 2/Orange) - This is a figure I was fond of in it's early days, but today it doesn't stand up to snuff for me to make it the best.
Princess Leia Boussh (Wave 3 Shadows/Orange POTF) - Personally I didn't like this fig. It was a vintage retool, and I wanted more from the fig.
Probe Droid (Deluxe) - This was an awesome fig. Superb, beyond my hopes, and is still a cool figure.
Jawas (Wave 4 Orange/Green) - Way too cool for school. They look perfect, stands the test of time, and outclassed most of the figures back then, and there was two of them in one package!

My BEST has to be the Jawas. Although the Probe Droid commands respect, I just love the Jawas for too many other reasons.

One has to admit, back in 95/96 when Hasbro made bad figures they made BAD figures! This worst is truely the worst of the worst in my opinion.

Princess Leia Organa (Wave 1/Orange) - Yuck, gross, every male figure I own in my collection avoids this one.
Lando Calrissian (Wave 2/Orange) - At least Lando's face looks good. If you cut off the head and stick it in the sand this fig will look great. Lando sunbathing is at least worth something over the others in this group.
Chewbacca as Snoova (Wave 3 Shadows/Orange POTF) - This fig is expanded universe. For many of you that have known me over the years I really don't like EU. I want film figs only. In my eyes for every EU fig they make it is one less film figure they might not sculpt before the line ends. Still, this fig is the least worst in this group. It may look odd, but it's detail is much better than the others represented here.
Deluxe Han Solo with Smuggler Flight Pack (Deluxe) - EU = points against this fig already. Muscle Han = more points against it. What the H@*% is that attatched to him. The points keep growing!
R5-D4 (Wave 4 Orange/Green) - O.K. I have to admit the droid resembles R5 which is not what I can say for Leia. Leia looks like a man, R5 looks like a droid!

So it all comes down to this for me. Either Leia or Han (Deluxe) is going to take the WORST prize. Leia just looks gross, but Han (Deluxe) is just stupid. For which criteria will I choose to pronounce one the worst. I may get challenged for this, but I'm going to say Han (Deluxe) is the worst! This fig just can't hold it's own weight literally!

Darth Jax
06-12-2006, 07:44 AM
best of the best is the probe droid.

worst of the worst, primate leia.

dindae
06-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Well I have to go probot for best. As far as worst I would have to go with R5-D4. The others are bad figures because they are poor likeness's but this is the only figures that could have been done right that they went out of their way to botch.

El Chuxter
06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Why is the Probot so popular, with its enormous orange rocket?

My best is Jawas, my worst Monkey-Faced Leia.

mtriv73
06-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Best is Boba Fett

worst is R5-D4

sebillba
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Best - JAWAS

Worst - MONKEY LEIA

Slicker
06-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Best - Jawas

Worst - R5-D4

v7sg
06-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Best: Jawas

Banthaholic
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Best: Probot
Worst:
Princess 'Is that a banana in your pocket, because if so I'd like to eat it' Leia

Rocketboy
06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Best of the Best - Jawas (Wave 4 Orange/Green)

Worst of the Worst - Princess Leia Organa (Wave 1/Orange)

Deoxyribonucleic
06-12-2006, 03:52 PM
From the 1996 POTF2 Orange

Best = Death Star Gunner

Worst = R5-D4

2 years worth of figs...

Best = Boussh

Worst = Crewcut Chewie (that fig just puts a BAD taste in my mouth!)

Mad Slanted Powers
06-12-2006, 07:12 PM
BEST - R2-D2
WORST - Leia

I can't vote for the Jawas as best because of the unileg thing. I like the Commtech and Vintage versions better.

Rogue II
06-12-2006, 08:29 PM
(that fig just puts a BAD taste in my mouth!)

You shouldn't do that. They may be a choking hazard.:kiss:

tagmac
06-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Best: Leia Boushh

Worst: Deluxe Han

Reefer Shark
06-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Best: Probot
Worst: Monkey Leia

Deoxyribonucleic
06-12-2006, 08:54 PM
You shouldn't do that. They may be a choking hazard.:kiss: There wasn't a choking sticker on mine, I "figure"d it would be alright!? :crazed:

Rogue II
06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
There wasn't a choking sticker on mine, I "figure"d it would be alright!? :crazed:

Well, in that case, you're lucky they didn't go through with that real hair wookie thing.

Luuuuuuke
06-12-2006, 10:16 PM
BEST--the Jawas(if the Tie Pilot was among the best instead of Boba Fett, whom I respectfully say is overrated:D, it would be close. Otherwise, the Jawas are about as close to perfect as there was in this line).

WORST--Leia (How can it not be? I actually refuse to pose this Leia anywhere near my POTF Han Solo action figure for fear it might mysteriously run away and never be seen again.)

TheDarthVader
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Best- Jawas (Wave 4 Orange/Green)

Worst- Princess Leia Organa (Wave 1/Orange)

Kidhuman
06-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Best - Jawas

Worst - Sheera Leia

dindae
06-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Why is the Probot so popular, with its enormous orange rocket?

My best is Jawas, my worst Monkey-Faced Leia.

To me the orange missle is no less distracting then the squares in the Jawas head. If you painted it black it would be better. Of course with these oder waves it is really all about picking the lesser of all evils.

Jaff
06-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Well the year end results are in, and I was actually surprised. Only two people voted R5-D4 as the worst figure of 95/96, I thought it would run somewhat neck to neck with Leia, but it did not even compete with her. This makes "Monkey-faced star of Fifth Element" officially the worst of these waves, and will be one of the finalists on the last poll of this thread. As for the best, the Jawas had it, with the Probe Droid trailing by half of the votes that the Jawas recieved. Below are the voting results.

Best
R2-D2 1
Jawas 8
Probe Droid 4
Boba Fett 1
Princess Leia Boussh 2

Worst
Han Solo Deluxe 2
Princess Leia Organa 11
R5-D4 2
Chewbacca as Snoova 1

Jaff
06-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Our next wave of figures were released in February 1997, a week before the theatrical release of the Empire Strikes Back Special Edition. This wave, along with the Emperor wave became the most common, and easiest waves to find throughout 1997. At about this time Hasbro was keeping to their green card format, and added a foil sticker to the later versions of these figures. The initial waves did not all have foils, but there really were no variations caused by this because with the first few waves of green cards if one simply wanted a figure with no hologram one could just peel off the foil if they were extra careful about it. It was not until the Nien Numb wave that every carded figure had a sticker that had an adhesive which would prevent the foil from being peeled off without damaging the package.

AT-ST Driver
Bossk
2-1B Medic Droid
Luke Skywalker in Hoth Gear
Hoth Rebel Soldier

So which one is your BEST and your WORST out of this wave?

Deoxyribonucleic
06-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Best = 21-B

Worst = Hoth Rebel Soldier

Jaff
06-14-2006, 02:28 AM
After seeing this wave displayed at the front seasonal section at Toys Rí Us it felt just like 1980 again. I remember going in to K-Mart and Toys R Us and just standing in an isle of nothing but Star Wars stuff. Once again it was that time again, and after seeing these new figs I knew the quality was rising. No more beefcake Lukeís, even though they were still on the shelves around this time. As for the figs themselves, here goes: Hereís my take on them.

AT-ST Driver - What is a non-infantry dude doing with a large bulky rifle? I always thought this fig should have been released in the Emperor wave, but I was glad to get it early. I liked it, but it does not really stand up against the other figs.
Bossk - This fig was incredible. The detail and color was perfect, even the Saga resculpt did not really surpass the quality of this fig.
2-1B Medic Droid - For some reason I have always loved this droid, and in 1981 it was one of my favorites, and I remember I never got it even though I gave some kid this figure for a birthday present. What really stank about it was that he did not even want the fig. Man I hate that kid, what a tasteless bum... Sorry, for the historical gibbering. Anyways I am still fond of this fig, and I donít think much improvement can be expected of this one too. It even came with the scanner that was in Lukeís deleted scene where the droid is repairing his facial wounds. You canít top that!
Luke Skywalker in Hoth Gear - Cooooooool figure. Snazzy duds, perfect accessories, no beefcake qualities. Need I say more?
Hoth Rebel Soldier - Next to the Deluxe Hoth Soldier this is not only a great army builder, but a scale accurate (sorry Saga version) figure. I was impressed with William Riker in Hoth Duds, even though he was beefed out a little. My thinking is they made him that way because he has a lot of clothes on. Yeah, thatís why he looks beefed up. Itís not like Hasbro would purposefully sculpt any figure muscular!

BEST - 2-1B
WORST - AT-ST Driver

Kidhuman
06-14-2006, 02:42 AM
2-1Best

Hoth Rebel is the worst.

sebillba
06-14-2006, 03:27 AM
Best - BOSSK.... superb detail and likeness - the most movie accurate figure up to this time IMO, and still stands up well compared with current figures.

Worst - AT-ST DRIVER.... sorry, I just found it pretty boring.

Darth Jax
06-14-2006, 07:27 AM
best - bossk
worst - hoth rebel

dindae
06-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Well the best has to be 2-1B. Still a good figure. The worst is a toss up to me either At-St driver or Hoth Rebel. I gonna say At-St is the worst.

Rocketboy
06-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Best - Bossk
Worst - Hoth Rebel Soldier

El Chuxter
06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Best: Bossk. That one still holds up nicely.

Worst: Hoth Rebel Soldier. Though this was, altogether, a pretty nice wave and he's not exactly a turd.

Banthaholic
06-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Best: Hoth Rebel, I like my army builders
Worst: Bossk, he's prob my least favorite of the Bounty Hunters

v7sg
06-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Best: Bossk

Worst: AT-ST Driver

tagmac
06-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Worst: AT-ST Driver

Slicker
06-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Best - 2bers

Worst - AT-ST Driver

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Best - Bossk. Other than the lack of modern articulation, he's a pretty good figure.

Worst - AT-ST Driver. Not a bad figure, but he still has the bulky look. Luke and the Hoth Soldier still have it, but it's not as noticeable with all the cold weather gear.

mtriv73
06-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Worst: Well they were all pretty good for the time, but Bossk and 2-1B are the only ones that are still acceptable. If I have to pick a worst I'll go with AT-ST driver because I had to buy 2 of those lame figures (1 to keep packaged and one to drive my AT-ST.)

Rogue II
06-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Best: Bossk (no disrespect to 2-1B)

WORST - AT-ST Driver

Luuuuuuke
06-14-2006, 10:58 PM
None of these figures was bad. I agree the AT-ST is just a boring figure; I was never a big fan of the buffed up, weird pose of the Hoth Rebel soldier, but it's not a bad figure either. I thought 2-1B and Bossk were superb figures. They look exactly like they should. Droids are easier to make movie accurate so Bossk gets some points for effort. Anyway:

Best--Bossk(by a split hair; there's no excuse for droids that aren't close to movie accurate so I'm giving slight edge to the reptilian bounty hunter).

Worst--Hoth Rebel soldier(it's close, but the AT-ST driver looks pretty much like it should. It just happens to be a boring looking character. the Hoth soldier is fairly cool looking in the movie, so the shortcomings of the figure stand out to me more)

Jaff
06-15-2006, 12:39 AM
As of Luuuuuuke's last vote here are the results of the current wave

BEST
2-1B 5
Bossk 10
Hoth Rebel Soldier 1

WORST
Hoth Rebel Soldier 6
AT-ST Driver 9
Bossk 1

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Would it be a problem if I were to ask to change my "worst" vote from the Hoth Soldier to the AT-ST Driver? The more I think of it, the more inexcusable the vintage-styled body is.

tagmac
06-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Hope you don't mind, Jaff, but I'm gonna add a link to my "Best/worst 12" figure" thread, to try to get some more people to join in.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31769

TheDarthVader
06-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Best 2-1B
Worst AT-ST Driver

TAGMAC, put that link in your signature. It might help! ;)

tagmac
06-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Done! :pleased:

Reefer Shark
06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Best: Bossk - for all the cool details. Plus... c'mon, he's a reptilian bounty hunter with a taste for Wookies! How could you go wrong?

Worst: AT-ST Driver - I actually like the vintage version better

Jaff
06-16-2006, 09:50 AM
El Chuxter - no problem.

Hey all you people who collected 12" figs back in the day, and still today!

Check out Tagmac's best/worst 12" poll in the 12" section, or click his link. It is exactly identical to the poll you are doing now.

Commercial paid for by the Jaff forum society.

Jaff
06-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Here is the current - remodified - numbers on the last wave

BEST
2-1B 6
Bossk 11
Hoth Rebel Soldier 1

WORST
Hoth Rebel Soldier 5
AT-ST Driver 12
Bossk 1

Jaff
06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
The next wave of figs came out in April 1997, some claim the Rebel Fleet Trooper was released in cases around April, whether this is true or not is up in the air, because even the most impressive venders never had any for sale. The figure did make it out of Hong Kong to various places, but store cases did not see this fig in general until June 1997. Since the Trooper is likened to this wave we will include it in this poll. When first released The Emperor was not included in the initial shipments. Many thought this fig would be a rare item, and immediately his value was strong. Within a few weeks the Emperor was everywhere and many who paid a little extra felt duped because in the long run this wave turned out to be one of the easiest to find in the POTF line.

Bib Fortuna
Han Solo in Endor Gear
Emperor Palpatine
Lando Calrissian as Skiff Guard
Rebel Fleet Trooper

So whoís your best and worst from these figs?

Jaff
06-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I actually felt that this wave took too long to come out. The empire wave with Bossk was released right before the ESB special edition in Feb and I thought that it had to be released when ROTJ was released in March. I waited around what seemed to be a lifetime, and suddenly one day in April I walked into Toys R Us when they were stocking these cases. I didn’t get the Emperor until two weeks later, but the Rebel Fleet Trooper took me forever to find. I got him sometime in August with the Leia in Skiff fig.

Bib Fortuna - Thumbs down for Bib, not only because of his Massively swollen fingers, but because the vintage version of this fig blown the POTF resculpt out of the water. The vintage Bib had detailed softgoods and removable armor. This version had a pot belly and .... well .... big thumbs!
Han Solo in Endor Gear - Han still looks good, even better that the new VOTC version. I say this because the VOTC Han just doesn’t look right unless he is in some kind of action pose. I want this fig remade today, but they really need to give his cape a respectful reworking so it looks like the quality found on modern figs. The cloth cape just didn’t cut it.
Emperor Palpatine - It always bothered me that this emperor had a hard time holding his cane, but the figure was very reminiscent of the vintage version. I liked the Emperor, but in truth it was my least favorite version of all the Emperors made to date.
Lando Calrissian as Skiff Guard - Lando just looked cool. It’s true that the Saga version puts this fig to shame, but back then he was top notch. His force pike was cool, and I was actually shocked when I heard they were remaking this fig. Now I’m shocked that I ever thought that.
Rebel Fleet Trooper - I’m afraid this figure is real dated. It is way too tall, and way too buff. My impression of this fig was that it should have been released the year before, looking as macho as it did. At the time I was happy to get him, but today I cannot use he stands out way too much amongst the rest of my Rebel Fleet Troopers.

The BEST - This is tough. I like Emperor, Han and Lando, even though Han is slightly buff, his cape disguises that. Lando just looks sorry next to the SAGA version, and the Emperor looks pale compared to Episode I Sideous version. Since I can’t decide I’ll go by my impression back in the day. I’ll have to go with Emperor Palpatine. Although I don’t use that fig today, it could still stand up with the rest of the figs if they had never remade the Emperor.

The WORST - Rebel Fleet Trainer with motivating buffness!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Best = Lando Skiff

Worst = Rebel Fleet Trooper (I almost hate this figure as much as Crewcut Chewie)!

mtriv73
06-16-2006, 10:35 AM
This wave I thought were all horrible. The least offensive is Lando Skiff although seeing it clog the shelves for many months really takes away from any thing right with the sculpt.

The worst was the rebel fleet trooper. He was hard to find, ugly, and I unfortunately bought several for dioramas thinking that was the best Hasbro would ever do.

Kidhuman
06-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Lando Skiff best

Bib worst.

v7sg
06-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Actually I liked BIB Fortuna I nominate for best

worst: Emperor

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Whoa, I've been gone for a week; I have some catching up to do.

Deluxe wave
Best - Probe Droid
Worst - Deluxe Han Solo

ANH wave
Best - Jawas
Worst - R5-D4

Total
Best - Jawas
Worst - Princess Leia Organa

ESB wave
Best - 2-1B
Worst - Hoth Rebel Soldier

ROTJ wave
Best - Emperor Palpatine
Worst - Rebel Fleet Trooper

El Chuxter
06-16-2006, 12:51 PM
This is kinda a poop wave, especially after the previous. Lando Skiff is the best, but still not a wonderful figure. Worst is a toss-up between Palpatine and the Rebel Fleet Trooper, and I think the Trooper narrowly wins. Er, loses.

dindae
06-16-2006, 02:54 PM
For best I'm gonna say Han Endor although Lando is a close second. For worst the Rebel Trooper wins hands down. He is far too buff for being slaughtered by stormtroopers.

Luuuuuuke
06-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Best--Han Endor (Lando Skiff is a close second)

It's actually kind of hard for me to pick the worst. This wasn't a very exciting wave, but I don't think there were any terrible figures. For most of ROTJ the Emperor kind of looks like a mix between an old lady and a bird--and that's what this figure looks like. Yeah, the hands suck. Bib Fortuna lacks a certain definition, almost like there's excess plastic. And I have mixed feelings about the Rebel Fleet Trooper: he's way too muscular, but apart from that, he has a certain clean, cartoony square-jawed appeal. He's the one I like most of the three "worst." But if I have to be objective:

Worst: The Rebel Fleet Trooper(he deviates too much from the movie version and I'm biased against the steroid look whether it's this figure or the stormtrooper).

tagmac
06-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Best: Endor Han (brown pants version)

Worst: Bib Fortuna (I can't lump the Rebel Fleet Trooper in this group, because I didn't see him until tons showed up in the Tarkin wave).

sebillba
06-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Best - BIB FORTUNA! I really liked this figure, I prefer the moulded robes to soft goods, and he has proper legs underneath - so much better than the Emperor, who was just a solid lump from the waist down.

Worst - REBEL TROOPER.... too buff and too boring. Though I thought the removable vest was quite cool.

Darth Jax
06-17-2006, 07:27 PM
best - billy dee incognito.

worst - RFT

Rocketboy
06-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Best - Lando Calrissian as Skiff Guard

Worst - Rebel Fleet Trooper

Rogue II
06-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Best: Lando Skiff

Worst: Rebel Fleet Trooper (just push him to the back of the diorama.)

TheDarthVader
06-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Best- Lando Skiff Disguise

Worst- Rebel Fleet Trooper

Jaff
06-18-2006, 09:24 AM
The current wave's results are in, and it looks like Lando wins by a large number of votes, and the Rebel Fleet Trooper is booed with equally strong results.

Emperor wave 97

BEST
Emperor 2
Lando Skiff 8
Bib Fortuna 2
Han Endor 3

WORST
Rebel Fleet Trooper 12
Bib Fortuna 2
Emperor 1

Jaff
06-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Before we get to the Tarkin wave (7/97) it’s time to pick up all the other things that came out around this time. A lot of neat stuff was surfacing, like the Luke and Leia with Speeder Bike. The final POTF Deluxe figs were released, and the A-Wing with Pilot (Yeahhhhhhh Babbbbby!!). Three new beast assortments were released and the Ronto sported a totally unique Jawa, and the Dewback had a new retooled Sandtrooper. With exception to the Luke and Leia in Speeder Bike all the items were real easy to find upon their release. Luke sported variations on his package which involved his glove, but this variant never demanded large increases in value.

2/97 - Speeder Bike with Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear
6/97 - Deluxe Snowtrooper with E-Web Cannon
Deluxe Hoth Rebel Soldier with Anti-Vehicle Laser Cannon
A-Wing Fighter with A-Wing Pilot
7/97 - Speeder Bike with Leia in Endor Gear
8/97 - Jawa (from Ronto)
Sandtrooper (from Dewback)

So who is your best and worst out of this fine list?

Note: The Jabba with Han (8/97) and cruisemissile Trooper (2/97) are not included in this poll as the Han is identical to the POTF orange carded version with exception to his pose. The Cruisemissile Trooper can’t be removed from his vehicle, so I believe that does not justify him as a figure. Feel free to vote on these in this poll if it is important to you.

Also the F/X figs will not be included in this poll at all.

Jaff
06-18-2006, 09:37 AM
This is a tough list. I actually liked all the figs that came with these items.

Speeder Bike with Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear - Originally this Luke in Endor was a fig I was very excited about. At this time it was clear that Star Wars was back, and I was eager to get my hands on every vintage POTF fig they could manufacture. This Luke could stand by itself, and fit on the speeder which confused me since later figs were not able to do. Later I replaced this fig by the Millenium Coin Version, I was never disappointed in this exact figure though.
Deluxe Snowtrooper with E-Web Heavy Repeating Cannon - I was really stoked to get this. I loved the trooper, but was very disappointed when I discovered that the figs legs were locked in pose, with no joints. The figure looks great with the gun though.
Deluxe Hoth Rebel Soldier with Anti-Vehicle Laser Cannon - In my eyes this is still the best Rebel Trooper we have. I like it more than the Riker soldier, and I love it 100% more than the stunted Saga version. I liked this Trooper so much I bought three of these to help build my army. I still display it with the newer figs, and it holds itís own.
A-Wing Pilot (from A-Wing) - Another Vintage POTF fig off my list (points for that). This fig is still the best A-Wing pilot we have. The newer one is just a repaint of another fig, that I really do not consider the newer versions the original A-Wing pilot. Letís face it there are many A-Wing pilots in the film, but vintage collectors think of this figure as the true A-Wing pilot to date. Thus this fig is still used in my collection today. He could use a remake, but he still looks just fine, and if they never remake him thatĎs also fine by me.
Speeder Bike with Leia in Endor Gear - This Leia was fine with her poncho on, but terrible without it. She couldnít display well because she had no holes in her feet. Like the Luke above I replaced this fig by the Millenium coin version.
Jawa (from Ronto) - Great Jawa, totally new sculpt, and still not reused today. This makes this fig a big winner. It adds more variety to any Jawa display.
Sandtrooper (from Dewback) - Gray pauldron Sandtrooper, awesome Battle Lance, and his rifle hung from his backpack. Although greatly accessorized the figure looked very bad standing by itself. Like the Snowtrooper it is not a very good fig by itself.

Best - Itís a toss up between A-Wing Pilot and Hoth Soldier. A-Wing Pilot is still strong, and I consider it a never remade figure which in my eyes makes me appreciate him more.

Worst - Leia with Speederbike, she just couldnít hold her own without the bike, and I can say the same for the Snowtrooper and Sandtrooper, but both Troopers were more interesting than her.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Best = Sandtrooper and Dewback

Worst = Deluxe Hoth Soldier (even though it isn't that bad).

Darth Jax
06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
best - sandtrooper with dewback. the figure is great, the dewback not so much.

worst - endor luke. i'd vote for the jawa since i like the ronto even less than the dewback, but it's the figure that counts not the beast.

El Chuxter
06-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Han's not identical, though the only difference is one has the little backpack and the other doesn't. I can't recall which is which, though. ;)

Best: Sandtrooper. He still looks nice today, aside from the incorrect head mold.

Worst: Both of the speeder bike figures suck, but I think Luke (with his giant flattened lightsaber) is slightly worse.

sebillba
06-18-2006, 12:04 PM
This is a tough one, as none of the figures are that great on their own, nor are they that bad. If we were voting for the whole package, it would easily be the dewback set.... or maybe the snowtrooper. But as a stand alone figure, I think I'll have to go with......

Best - JAWA... the only alien from this lot, and I nearly always prefer the aliens.

Worst - LEIA... she just seemed too flimsy, I was always afraid I would break her... in fact, I think mine had a cracked joint from brand new.

v7sg
06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
best: A wing Pilot

Worst: Speeder bike Leia

Luuuuuuke
06-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I loved the Dewback itself, but for me it's between the A-Wing and Pilot and Jawa and Ronto. I don't think any of the sets were bad, so it's extremely hard for me to pick a worst.

Best: A-Wing and pilot (I really liked the Jawa and the Ronto but I had never had an A-Wing or an A-wing pilot, so this one was special.)

Worst: Luke speeder bike(just cause I have to pick one).

Kidhuman
06-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Jawa and Ronto - best

Hoth Soldier - worst

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-18-2006, 04:28 PM
The Han is a completely new sculpt apart from the head, just so you know.

Best - Jawa
Worst - Luke in Endor Gear

Rogue II
06-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Best: Sandtrooper with dewback.

None of them are really that bad, but...

Worst: Endor luke.

tagmac
06-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Best: Snowtrooper w/ Cannon

Worst: Speeder Bike Luke

Bosskman
06-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Yeah, the jabba Han IS different. I used him as my regular Han untill the commtech chip one came out. I think you guys should have included Jabba himself as a figure (or should I say the love child between Grimace and a garden slug) T'was no Jabba. That thing was truly horrible. The worst part about it was that I was so damned excited to get it because, at the time, I was convinced by the evil lucas that it WAS in fact jabba when it was really only a hidious mockery of one of my alltime favorite characters ever. I was overjoyed that they fixed that abomination for the DVD .... but I digress. The best I would say is a tossup between the Hoth Soldier and the Jawa. Worst would be speeder bike Luke or Leia. (Although I still have them out ... for now, and they could have been a LOT worse)

dindae
06-19-2006, 08:47 AM
best - Sandtrooper is gonna get my vote.

worst - Luke Endor. I really don't like the poncho

TheDarthVader
06-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Best Sandtrooper
Worst Luke Endor

Slicker
06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah, the jabba Han IS different. I used him as my regular Han untill the commtech chip one came out. I think you guys should have included Jabba himself as a figure (or should I say the love child between Grimace and a garden slug) T'was no Jabba. I enjoy a Han Jabba as well.

Didn't have that stupid pose.

Banthaholic
06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Best: Rebel Fllet trooper, wanted this as a kid during the vintage era. This figure signified to me what the return of Star Wars would forshadow, a chance to get a lot of the characters we could only dream about for years during the dark times

Worst: Bib Fortuna, I liked the vintage one, didn't like this one

Best: Deluxe Hoth Rebel Soldier

Worst A-wing pilot, Mine is posed in a surrender positin stuck in his box (not sure if all came this way), but I would like him better if he had his arms down

Rocketboy
06-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I enjoy a Han Jabba as well.:shocked:

Best - Snowtrooper
Worst - Leia in Endor Gear

Mad Slanted Powers
06-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Catching up...

Best - Lando Skiff
Worst - Rebel Trooper

Best - A-Wing Pilot
Worst - Leia with Speeder Bike

Jaff
06-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Although many comments were made about the Han Solo figure no one opted to vote on this figure as best or worst. Here are the votes tallied since Mad Slanted's posting:

BEST
A-Wing Pilot 4
Sandtrooper (Dewback) 6
Jawa (Ronto) 3
Deluxe Snowtrooper 2
Deluxe Hoth Soldier 1

WORST
Leia Endor (speeder bike) 5
Deluxe Hoth Soldier 2
Luke Endor (speeder bike) 8
A-Wing Pilot 1

Note: Bosskmanís vote was disregarded as no individual figure was specifically chosen.

Jaff
06-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Our next awesome waves were released in July 1997 and it offered some of the best figures we had seen to date. For the first time we were given a Grand Moff Tarkin and a Garindan figure. The figures in this wave were hard to find the first month out, but were soon not that hard to find during September and on.

Grand Moff Tarkin
Weequay Skiff Guard
ASP-7 Droid
Dengar
Ponda Baba
4-LOM
Garindan
Admiral Ackbar

So who do you think is the best and worst in this group?

Jaff
06-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Grand Moff Tarkin - This figure was beyond words, even today the face likeness is very impressive. Although the figure is a little dated compared to the prequel Tarkin, Ozzel, and Veers figures it was truly a landmark figure.
Weequay Skiff Guard - Itís hard to go wrong with Weequay. His face is just too menacing, and even the vintage version captured this. Today I still donít think the fig needs a remake!
ASP-7 Droid - This special edition fig is not interesting at all. It looks like it belongs in a cartoon rather than the Star Wars universe. Thatís not to say that I donít like the fig, I just think it is a plain, drab, and boorish.
Dengar - It was nice they made a ROTJ Dengar, and at the time I liked the figure, but I always wanted a Dengar with his backpack. When the Saga Dengar came out I really felt that the POTF Dengar looked terrible. With that said I donít display the ROTJ Dengar anymore.
Ponda Baba - I love Tarkin, 4-LOM, and the fact that they made Garindan was awesome, but this fig is perhaps my favorite of the group for several reasons. First off the figs jacket was something we had never seen on a SW figure before. It just looked cool. Another reason is that even today I canít see them making a better version of this figure.
4-LOM - I love this bounty hunter, and I love this fig. Does this really need a resculpt? I donít think so.
Garindan - Wow this fig even had his little transmitter in the palm of his hand. Garindan was a real treat, and I would have never wished for a resculpt. The new Garindan far surpasses the POTF version, but I was just thankful they made this fig back then. It really was a cool figure.
Admiral Ackbar - Ackbar was just a fair fig, and itís great to have in the collection, but his quality and coolness just doesnít match many of the other figs in this wave. It was dwarfed by the other figs. If it had been released in the Emperorís wave two months earlier I would have easily voted it the best back then!

The Best: I hate not to pick Tarkin, but Ponda Baba wins this one!

The Worst: ASP is an easy looser in my eyes.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Jaff, does it seem like I just sit here waiting for you to post the next wave lol

Best = Admiral Ackbar

Worst = ASP-7

Luuuuuuke
06-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Wow, this is the toughest wave in terms of picking the best. So I'll start with the worst:

Worst--ASP-7 droid (it wasn't in the original and while it was cool in a funny, minimalistic looking way, it was the worst).

Geez, with the exception of Dengar, it's a little hard to pick the best from the rest. But here goes--knowing I'll probably change my mind later:

Best--Grand Moff Tarkin(it's harder to make really great looking human figures. But damn, I'm still not sure this is the best choice. I'm tempted to pick Admiral Ackbar).

tagmac
06-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Best: Grand Moff Tarkin - can't get over the excellent likeness and outfit.

Worst: ASP-7 Droid

Rocketboy
06-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Best - Toss up between Grand Moff Tarkin and Admiral "It's a trap!" Ackbar. Both had great detail, but with Tarkin it had to be harder to capture the likeness, so I'll go with Tarkin.

Worst - Dengar. Because Dengar sucks.

Banthaholic
06-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Best: Tarkin, he was another I wanted from the Vintage days, and this figure still holds up decently today

It was hard for the worst, Dengar isn't the best but he's a ROTJ Dengar which gets extra points, Garindan has now been done better, but at the time that figure revitalized my interests in the line, even ASP-7 to me is cool because he's such an insignificant charatcer that they made a figure for so that is also extra points. My vote ends up as:

Worst: Ackbar. the figure is alright, but doesn't hammer it home enough for me

El Chuxter
06-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Wow, for once we don't seem to all be leaning toward an obvious best or worst.

Best: Weequay Skiff Guard. Even with the same poseability flaw that plagued the vintage version, the detailing on him is just too good for him not to win. He narrowly beats Tarkin, mainly because of Tarkin's ridiculously undersized head.

Worst: ASP-7. While still an excellent figure, especially by 1997 standards, the lack of realistic detailing and a sculpt that's even more limiting than Weequay's kind of screws this one over.

Kidhuman
06-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Best - Dengar

Worst - Asp-7

Bosskman
06-21-2006, 04:47 AM
I still have ALL these figures out on the shelf. This was one sweet wave and it's pretty hard to pick one for the best but I'm gonna have to go with PONDA BABA for the best. The Weequay would be a very close second, and Tarkin, Garindan and Ackbar were perfect for their day, they're beginning to show their age compared to the new figures. Nothing wrong with 4-LOM or ROTJ Dengar (who I have diplayed quite nicely in Jabba's palace). My WORST would be ASP-7, but he is a good likeness of a crappy character. In fact, I'm going to remove one of my 2 ASP-7s right now and put him in the box for poor kids.

dindae
06-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Well for best I'm going to vote Ackbar.
Tarkin, Weequay, and Garindan still suffer from a lesser for of the barrel chest. ASP 7 is a great likeness but the figure is boring. Ponda Baba is a great figure but to me it is not as exciting as Ackbar maybe because I now have 5 or 6 of him and only 1 Ackbar. 4-Lom bugs me because of the gimp hand. I hate figures that can't hold their accesories properly.
Worst I'm going to go with Weequay. While it was ok at the time this figure should be so much more in my mind. When they showed it at Toyfair as a repack I was very disappointed. Hopefully it won't happen since I haven't heard jack about the Demise of Boba Fett pack since.

sebillba
06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Best - PONDA BABA. A very nice wave, but I always craved more Cantina characters (still do!), and this was a great version of one of the main players. Plus he had a very cool jacket!

Worst - ASP-7.... stupid looking figure from a stupid special edition scene. Total waste of a figure when too many other classic characters were still needed. Piece of junk that couldn't stand up properly, and is still hidden at the back of my diorama.

Darth Jax
06-21-2006, 09:43 AM
best - 4LOM
worst - ackbar

TheDarthVader
06-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Best Ponda Baba
Worst ASP-7

Rogue II
06-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Best: Tarkin. I flopped between him and 4-LOM. I thought Garindan was good, and until I actually opened the new figure, didn't really need a resculpt.

Worst: ASP-7 (when you look back, the addition to of this droid to the special editions was a preview to what many people don't like about the prequels)

v7sg
06-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Best: Tarkin

Worst: ASP-7

Jaff
06-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Jaff, does it seem like I just sit here waiting for you to post the next wave lol

Best = Admiral Ackbar

Worst = ASP-7

And I'm waiting to post them for you!:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Best - Admiral Ackbar
Worst - Garindan

Slicker
06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Best - 4-LOM

Worst - Dengar

Mad Slanted Powers
06-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Best - Tarkin. Ackbar is very good too, but Tarkin is a figure that should have been one of the original 12 vintage figures instead of the Death Squad Commander. It was about time they made this figure.

Worst - I guess I'll go with the ASP-7 droid.

Jaff
06-22-2006, 05:19 AM
Here are the current results for the Tarkin Wave.

BEST
Ponda Baba 4
Admiral Ackbar 3
Grand Moff Tarkin 7
Weequay 1
Dengar 1
4-LOM 2

WORST
ASP-7 12
Dengar 2
Admiral Ackbar 2
Weequay 1
Garindan 1

Jaff
06-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Our next list is quite large, as it consists of every exclusive figure that had surfaced during 1997, and finally Han Solo in Stormtrooper will finally be included in this poll.

11/95 - Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise
2/97 - Spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi
5/97 - Cantina Band Member
6/97 - Chewbacca with restraints: Death Star Escape Three Pack
6/97 - Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise: Death Star Escape Three Pack
6/97 - Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise: Death Star Escape Three Pack
9/97 - Ben Kenobi: Cantina Showdown Three Pack
9/97 - Dr. Evezan: Cantina Showdown Three Pack
9/97 - Ponda Baba: Cantina Showdown Three Pack

So which is the best and worst out of this group.

Jaff
06-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise - I missed out on this fruit loops exclusive, only to pay $30 for this fig back in 1996. My reaction was that this fig was worth every penny. Although I don’t display this fig today I still keep it, including this fig in my packaged collection. It was quite gratifying to finally get a Han in Stormtrooper to go with Luke.
Spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi - This Lays potato chip exclusive soon became very common place, and not worth much because everyone was stocking up on this fig thinking that it would reach the same value as Han. I never really liked this fig much, thinking that it looked like a bar of soap. The frosted spirit version in the later three pack was much better even though it is the same fig as this one.
Cantina Band Member - This Star Wars Fan Club exclusive was positively awesome. Not only did each fig come with all six instruments, but it was a fig that most of us had been waiting for since 1978. It was a great sculpt, and I bought six of these guys to complete the band. My only problem is that they don’t stand well at all. In fact they have to have stands to stay up.
Chewbacca with restraints: Death Star Escape Three Pack - Originally the Death Star Escape was a Toys R Us exclusive, but then it was case packed with the Final Duel/Lars three pack, and shipped everywhere. I found this one pretty easy, and the Chewbacca in this pack is still the only version of it’s kind. This makes this fig kind of special, but the fig is awfully dated.
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise: Death Star Escape Three Pack - I actually like this Han better than the Fruit Loops exclusive. This figure can hold a rifle in it’s left hand, and it looks very natural. The other Han looks slightly bunched up.
Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise: Death Star Escape Three Pack - I didn’t like this one at all. The only reason was his arms. They are spread out as if he is trying to fly or something. I gave this fig away I think, I just had no way to use him. The pose prevented this fig from ever appearing in a diorama.
Ben Kenobi: Cantina Showdown Three Pack - Originally a Wal-Mart exclusive, this set soon surfaced in other stores in 1998. Although not very common it was still not impossible to find. Ben was nothing more than a statue. I guess this fig was the foreshadow of Episode II figs. His extreme pose made him useless to my collection, and he would have been O.K. if only he had balljoints on his shoulders.
Dr. Evezan: Cantina Showdown Three Pack - Evezan really wasn’t a great figure, and the likeness was not very good. Still it was a character we never saw “figureized“, and therefore I liked it. His pose was a little extreme though.
Ponda Baba: Cantina Showdown Three Pack - This Ponda is the worst example of a poor pose that I can think of pre-episode II. It’s like he’s doing the splits. I always wanted to do a diorama with Ponda, Lobot (POTF 98), and some of the Episode II figures, but other than that I don’t consider this a worthy figure in any sense.

The BEST: Cantina Band Member - It still looks great, does not need resculpting, and it’s accessories were simply one of the most considerate thing Hasbro has ever done for us collectors. Had they not done this they could have released another band member years down the road with a different instrument. This fig is a testament to Hasbro can consider collectors desires. Thanks Hasbro!

The WORST: Ponda Baba (Cantina Showdown) - It’s just a sorry figure from the waist down!

sebillba
06-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Best - CANTINA BAND MEMBER..... another cantina alien, great sculpt, extra articulation, loads of acessories... can't go wrong! (Just a shame he can't stand up without a stand!)

Worst - SPIRIT OF OB-WAN... just a blue blob. Though the ridiculously posed Cantina Showdown figures are very close behind.

Kidhuman
06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Han mail away - best

Ben cantina- worst.

Edit: had ben the first time, did not specify which one.

dindae
06-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Best - Catina Band member - no explanation is needed

Worst - Ben from cantina - The first rehash. The pose made it garbage but the fact that we already had the figure knocks it down below Evezan. He was a toss up between Ben and Ponda but for some reason Ben offends me more.

mtriv73
06-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Cantina band member id the best (does this vote count 5 times?)

the worst is Dr. Evazan. I never saw one with a good paint app and the sculpt look like they had just taken a regular figure and melted part of the face with a hot knife.

El Chuxter
06-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Best: Cantina Band Member. That was a level of poseability not usually seen in those days, and a beautiful sculpt.

Worst: Wow, this is tough. Spirit Ben was just a Jell-O Mold, and the three from the Cantina Showdown equally sucked eggs with their goofy poses. I think Supporting Character from Goofy Dr Evazan loses this round, since he is undoubtedly the worst likeness in the modern era, even moreso than Monkey-Faced Leia.

Darth Jax
06-22-2006, 09:31 AM
best - chewie

worst - ponda baba

Bosskman
06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Best - CANTINA BAND MEMBER

Worst - DR. EVIZAN

v7sg
06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Best: Cantina band Member

Worst: Spirit Ben

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Best - Cantina Band Member
Worst - Ben "I'm running at top speed" Kenobi from the Cantina

Deoxyribonucleic
06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Best = Cantina Band Member (this figure still stacks up to today's!!)

Worst = Cantina Cinema Scene Ben Kenobi (a big chunk of plastic and nothing more).

Rocketboy
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Best - Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise (mail-in)
Worst - Ponda Baba: Cantina Showdown Three Pack

Rogue II
06-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Best: Cantina Band Member
Worst: Ben Kenobi: Cantina Showdown Three Pack

Mad Slanted Powers
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Best - I'll pick Han Solo from the 3-pack. Cantina Band member is good with the likeness and all the instruments, but he doesn't stand as well and he doesn't hold all of the instruments as well as I would like.

Worst - I'll have to say Ponda Baba. I really don't like his pose. Cases could well be made for the rest of this 3-pack and for the Obi-Wan spirit.

Banthaholic
06-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Best: Cantina Band member. Again wanted as a kid, still want as a basic carded figure, and as a mutlti-pack display box.

Sure Holo Obi isn't anything special but being the first holo figure in SW history gets some extra points

worst - ponda baba, nothing special.

tagmac
06-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Best: Stormtrooper Han Solo, mail-away version

Worst: Cantina Ben Kenobi

Luuuuuuke
06-23-2006, 03:08 AM
Best--Cantina Band Member

Worst--Cantina Showdown Obi Wan(Spirit Obi Wan was dull but at least he was different).

sebillba
06-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Thinking about it, can I change my 'worst' from Spirit Obi to Cantina Obi.... I agree, at least the spirit was different, whereas the cantina one was just a stupidly posed version of a figure we already had.

TheDarthVader
06-23-2006, 11:04 AM
BestCantina Band Member
WorstDr Evazan

Jaff
06-24-2006, 09:30 AM
This was a close one on which was the worst. People generally stuck to three figs. All were in the Showdown, which is a testimony to this three pack's overall quality. The Cantina Band Member won pretty much without dispute.

BEST
Cantina Band Member 13
Han in Stormtrooper (mail away) 3
Han in Stormtrooper (Death Star Escape) 1
Chewbacca (Death Star Escape) 1

WORST
Ponda Baba (Cantina Showdown) 5
Ben Kenobi (Cantina Showdown) 8
Dr. Evezan (Cantina Showdown) 4
Spirit of Obi-Wan 1

Jaff
06-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Our next wave of figures was released on August and September of 1997. Among these figures was Princess Leia as Jabbaís Prisoner which was the most anticipated figure of this time. For the first month she was quite rare, fetching over $20 via scalpers and/or dealers. Those who paid such high prices grimaced later as she was repacked in several cases. During Christmas Han and Leia were flooding the shelves. Needless to say her value fell swiftly.

Princess Leia as Jabbaís Prisoner
Bespin Han Solo
Nien Nunb
Malakili (Rancor Keeper)
Saelt Marae ďYak FaceĒ
Gamorrean Guard
EV-9D9

So whoís your Best and Worst out of this group?

Jaff
06-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Princess Leia as Jabbaís Prisoner - This fig was the coolest thing around back then, and it was something we had all been waiting on since we were kids. I still think she looks better than the Deluxe POTJ version, and I still like the fig today.
Bespin Han Solo - This Han still looked buff to me, and itís pose was not that good either. He did not look atrocious but compared to the rest of these figures in this lot he was a pale figure.
Nien Nunb - Nien was pretty cool, although he was not a major standing ovation. Any figure that was a remake of a vintage fig was a winner in my book, and Nien looked cool, he just didnít get into the best category.
Malakili (Rancor Keeper) - Although this fig is boring, it looked better than the vintage version. I often wondered why they made this fig, and not the more interesting Klaatu Rancor Keeper. Iím hoping some day they will rectify this.
Saelt Marae ďYak FaceĒ - Yak was a big improvement over the vintage fig, and I loved his cape. He was awefully colorful though, and in the movie his clothes seemed a little more drab than this fig. The fact that they made this fig makes it a winner because getting the vintage version loose was still a pretty penny.
Gamorrean Guard - Way cool fig that almost made it to the best in my book. The detail of the Gamorrean was so good that when it was remade as OTC it just received a new paint job. I still donít think this fig needs to be remade.
EV-9D9 - This fig was pretty much the same thing as the vintage without the movable jaw. The monitor that came with this fig was an awesome accessory that I never saw coming.

BEST - Princess Leia as Jabbaís Prisoner
WORST - Bespin Han Solo

Banthaholic
06-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Best: Princess Leia Prisoner, (I'll keep my comments to myself)
Worst Bespin Han. Barely beat out Nien Numb, sorry Han

Darth Jax
06-24-2006, 10:49 AM
best - gamorrean guard

worst - yak face

El Chuxter
06-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Pretty decent wave overall. Despite his super-pegwarming ability (topped only recently by the Neimoidian Warrior), Malakili is a beautiful figure. The filthy detail is just amazing.

But, even with the preposed fist (again, like the Weequay, a flaw carried over from the original), I've got to go with Gamorrean Guard for the best.

Worst is a bit tougher. Bespin Han Solo is still beefy, and Saelt Marae looks like he stepped in from a Disney cartoon. (Unfortunately, he's accurate to the film.) But for the worst, I have to say EV-9D9. She's highly lacking in poseability, she's not as detailed as she should be (though Hasbro gets props for including her third eye), and she doesn't stand right. Not bad, but the worst of this bunch.

sebillba
06-24-2006, 11:05 AM
An excellent wave, most of which I picked up on another holiday to the States, so they hold some nice memories.......

Best - GAM GUARD

Worst - toss up between EV and Rancor Keeper, as neither are particularly exciting.... Malakili gets extra points for being based on an english actor, so I'll go for EV-9D9.

dindae
06-24-2006, 11:10 AM
As far as best figure goes I'm gonna go with Slave Leia. The likeness is decent and added articulation would take away from the figure.

For worst I'm gonna go with Bespin Han the buffness overshadows the flaws of the other figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I think this might be the first wave we've done where I have all of them opened.

Best - Gamorrean Guard
Worst - Yak-Face - I don't like the color scheme. It reminds me of vintage Walrus Man.

v7sg
06-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Best: Gamorrean Guargd

Worst: Han Bespin

Kidhuman
06-24-2006, 12:50 PM
I second Chux's votes:

Gam Guard - best

EV 9d9 - worst

Slicker
06-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Best - EV-9D9