PDA

View Full Version : POTF2 Bubble Yellowing

JediTricks
06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
While walking through my room just now, my carded POTF2 CTC Holo Leia R2-D2 caught my eye, not because it's a nifty figure, but because the friggin' bubble is heavily yellowed! The card is in a Protech soft case that's been sealed for probably 5 years, and has been on my wall in its current location for 3 or 4 years, but before that was in a spot that got hit with direct sun for about 30 minutes a day. However, none of the other carded POTF2 figures I have in that area are yellowing like this, so I'm beginning to wonder if the soft case is holding in the outgassing causing the bubble to yellow.

I don't really care that much that it's yellow, I'm not planning on selling or trading it, but it's the first SW figure I've ever had do this, so it's on my mind.

Kidhuman
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Goes to show you star cases are not at all good for figures.

Rogue II
06-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't have many carded figures, but I do have CTC R2 and Stormtrooper still on their cards. They both seem a little yellow, the Stormtrooper more than R2. They are both stored in a cardboard box, so they never get any sunlight, just some heat.

Slicker
06-01-2006, 04:06 PM
That is strange. I would've figured that Hasbro would've figured out something to counteract the yellowing. The vintage figures yellowed and cracked only because the bubbles were made to last for only a couple of years.

Rogue II
06-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Maybe they tried a different plastic in the CTC line. The few POTF2, flashback, and Episode I figures I have carded show no sign of yellowing.

JediTricks
06-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Weird, why would these be different material from the Ep 1 bubbles? But it could very well be the case, I have some Ep 1s carded that aren't yellow at all, 1 of which is *in* a starcase.

Don't say "cracked", I am fearing the odd stress marks I'm seeing on the front could be cracks developing. :(

Slicker
06-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Weird, why would these be different material from the Ep 1 bubbles? But it could very well be the case, I have some Ep 1s carded that aren't yellow at all, 1 of which is *in* a starcase.It's possible. I think that's the reason why ROTJ bubbles tend to yellow alot faster than most of the others is because they tried a different plastic and it fared alot worse.

Don't say "cracked", I am fearing the odd stress marks I'm seeing on the front could be cracks developing. :(I have yet to hear about any cracking. I would assume that it would come from the POTF2 figures first (i.e. orange carded ones) but if they switched plastics for whatever reason then it's possible.

Thunderbird
06-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I have a few EP1 figures and also CTC R2 and Stormtrooper that have yellowed. The CTC were extras that I had and were in plastic containers and were not exposed to any light. They were in with other figures and none of them yellowed.

Also I'm sure Hasbro doesn't care if the bubbles yellow, they most likely use what ever is available and most cost effective.

TheDarthVader
06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Some of my potf2 figures had been in too much light. The bubbles began to yellow. :( I had to open them because they looked bad.

B.
TDV

Banthaholic
06-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Yikes, sorry to hear that JT. I hope this won't be a trend we see in the next few years. I know many have seen the theater Luke begin to flop off cards, mine has slightly begun to peel.

I've made efforts to kill the sun level where my toys are. I hope that will help somewhat. Though it's suck if the cases add to the problem since that is the way I display my harder to find items.

Samuel Windu
06-02-2006, 06:24 AM
I have a few carded figures that have bubble yellowed.Some even under the bed in the box such as CTC Vader.I don't mind but just don't understand:cross-eye

sithlord
06-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Hi Ho from Tasmania, Australia.

I also have a carded POTF2 CTC Holo Leia R2-D2 in a seriously yellow blister. I had it stored in a box with a green supermarket bag, (for padding) and when i discovered it was yellow i wasn't very happy because i bought it when the price was fairly high. I guessed there had been a reaction between the blister and the bag, with a good dose of heat to help the reaction along, because the box was directly in front of a window. No direct sun, but plenty of heat.

I checked my back-up carded POTF2 CTC Holo Leia R2-D2, which was stored in a star case away from the heat and `light, and it was fine.

Your scenario is interesting. Any sun, even 30 minutes a day, will eventually mess with plastic because most polymers aren't UV protected. PVC plumbing pipe used to break down when exposed to the sun so they added protection and it's now called UPVC pipe. Heat causes plastic to give off fumes and if there are different plastics present in an enclosed space there can be nasty reactions over time. I've seen some funky stuff over the years.

:cry:

C5Jedi
06-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Haven't seen any yellowing here. Keep mine wrapped in cling wrap inside of the long Comic Book boxes.

LusiferSam
06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Weird, why would these be different material from the Ep 1 bubbles? But it could very well be the case, I have some Ep 1s carded that aren't yellow at all, 1 of which is *in* a starcase.
That's hard to say. All plastics will break down and change its properties, including color, given enough time. If this were a '95 figure it would be easier to explain. But any number of factors could be contributing to this yellowing. Sun and/or heat exposure before you bought the figure. Chemical exposure. Maybe Hasbro went to a cheaper plastic for their bubbles and this is one of the first figures they used it on. Or maybe they just got a bad batch.

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 12:43 AM
It's possible. I think that's the reason why ROTJ bubbles tend to yellow alot faster than most of the others is because they tried a different plastic and it fared alot worse.Yeah, but ROTJ didn't come out at the same time as ESB, whereas POTF2 CTC were being made in the same facility at the same time as Ep 1.

Yikes, sorry to hear that JT. I hope this won't be a trend we see in the next few years. I know many have seen the theater Luke begin to flop off cards, mine has slightly begun to peel.Ohhhhh, don't say that! I have mine laying down in a starcase, so I would hope at least that laying flat would keep the lack of stress from separating the bubble from the card.

Sithlord, that sucks about yours, I had the good fortune of having a friend find me this one super cheap, and my original I got for regular price via buying a full case. I wouldn't think the UV would affect this bubble so much more heavily than the POTF2 nearby, but I suppose it's possible.

That's hard to say. All plastics will break down and change its properties, including color, given enough time. If this were a '95 figure it would be easier to explain.Funny you should mention figures from that far back, I have some '96 orange pre-transition cards in starcases and some not that are under dust, same general sunny area, and THEY are not yellowed (I just went and checked, didn't occur to me before).

This sucks, I hadn't even considered modern-era figures would have yellowing bubbles, it always seemed like a vintage problem.

LusiferSam
06-03-2006, 11:47 AM
This sucks, I hadn't even considered modern-era figures would have yellowing bubbles, it always seemed like a vintage problem.
I don't think most people have. But I'd guess yellowing is going to be a bigger problem for the modern figures than for the vintage. First, there are simple more MOC figures in the modern run out there than vintage. We all know there's MOC because of the speculator collectors. And the fact there are more means there are more opportunities for problems. Second, there's the unknown. There simply hasn't been enough time for real problems to crop up. Because of that we simply don't know what will happen. Maybe yellowing will be a minor thing, but the bubbles have a habit of coming off. Or it could be that the cards fade. They're simply unknown.

swabie2424
06-03-2006, 04:12 PM
I also have a yellowed Commtech Leia w/R2, Vader and Stormie. My stuff has had zero light exposure. No real heat or water exposure either. It's just that the plastic on that wave was sketchy.

I can't remember where, but I read an interview with a toy/plastics expert who said that there is no critical temperature to store your collection at. 68 degrees is just as good as 72 degrees etc. (Of course you want to avoid excessive temperature. Over 80 degree is probably bad for prolonged periods. People who keep collections in hot, unvented garages, store lockers etc are in trouble. Over time it's gonna do damage.)

But the expert did say that the critical thing is keeping the temperature the same (which unless you have a 100% museum quality temperature cortolled room which nobody realistically does) is impossible. I just try to avoid wild heat swings. I live in So Cal... so it's very dry here and moisture is no real problem. But it can get hot. My stuff is in a temperature controlled building my wife allowed me to build behind my house. I set the thermostat at 72 and just try and keep it there as close as possible all the time.

JediTricks
06-04-2006, 04:18 PM
LS, that's a good point, there are a lot more MOC collectors in the modern age and a lot more product that went around, so if it does crop up in more sets it's going to become a real big deal I suppose simply based on the number of collectors and sets.

Hmm, I haven't checked my carded CTC Stormtrooper & Vader, I don't have mine on display like I do R2, I guess that should have been done, I'll have to remember where they are though. I wonder if this is happening to those few folks who had the first release of R2, the big-dome one that some collectors paid upwards of $1k for, that would suck mightily!

I too can't keep a constant temp here, and I suppose there have been some swings even, the winter/spring weather can get real nutty.

steeltormentor69
06-13-2006, 10:07 AM
My commtech R2 is also yellowed. I'd say it has to be the quality of plastic because it has gotten no different treatment than any of my other figures... hung on the wall in a protech case out of direct sunlight and it is the only figure that I have that is yellowed. And I paid $40 for this?!?!

El Chuxter
06-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Y'know, whether it makes logical sense or not for Hasbro to use different plastics, you have to admit there's a trend that seems to affect Artoo w/ Holo Leia and CommTech Stormtrooper. :confused:

Deoxyribonucleic
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
While walking through my room just now, my carded POTF2 CTC Holo Leia R2-D2 caught my eye, not because it's a nifty figure, but because the friggin' bubble is heavily yellowed! The card is in a Protech soft case that's been sealed for probably 5 years, and has been on my wall in its current location for 3 or 4 years, but before that was in a spot that got hit with direct sun for about 30 minutes a day. However, none of the other carded POTF2 figures I have in that area are yellowing like this, so I'm beginning to wonder if the soft case is holding in the outgassing causing the bubble to yellow.

I don't really care that much that it's yellow, I'm not planning on selling or trading it, but it's the first SW figure I've ever had do this, so it's on my mind.

JT, I had the same EXACT problem! Except mine were never in sun light. It was only the R2 ctc for me as well. I had 2 of them and they both did it, so I just opened them lol That yellow bubble effect looks so ugly to me that I'd rather have them opened and look fresh than look like someone sat there for days blowing cig smoke at it.

Sorry it happened to you, especially that figure cuz it was so hard to get hold of. :sad:

JediTricks
06-13-2006, 04:55 PM
OH! I bet I know why the bubble plastic wouldn't be the same as the others! R2 w/ Holo Leia was originally made with all the other CTC figures, but the design was defective, the dome was too large so only a very small number were ever released. Hasbro eventually fixed the dome (but not the lightpipe, which is why it sticks out both on top and out the front, nice) and pressed these into service after the other POTF2 CTCs were on cards.

Or maybe we're all just nuts and this figure is evil. :p

I feel real bad for anybody who spent a lot on this only to have it yellow a few years later. I remember for a while when folks were spending $75-100 on this figure.

Warstar
06-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I spent $50 on EACH of mine...carded and one to open...still have the opened one but when I sold the carded one it hand not yellowed in any way...

While we all know sunlight causes yellowing, along with flourescent lights, I think there's another factor that contributes that may or may not have been discussed yet-

I think humidity has a HUGE part to play in bubble yellowing.

I lived in Colorado Springs, CO, which is semi-arid desert in climate, and then moved to Bozeman, MT, which is about the same only a bit more temperate.

A couple of my extra figs on card (like old FF's I opened just for the frames, etc.) have been exposed to Colorado's 100+ summers and now Montana's -40 winters sitting in a box in garages of the houses I lived in (where it got cold enough to freeze liquid solid and create frost around doorjams where warm air leaked into the garage). Their bubbles have not yellowed at all- after 8-9 years!

Why? I think it's due to the low relative humdity here and in Colorado Springs. Generally, it's always below 35%- rarely does it get higher than that and when it does get higher, it's not for more than a few days.

All you folks who live in humid climates (specifcally the southeast U.S.) may be having all of this yellowing due to the humidty factors in your location.

Something to think about, anyway.

Anyone else live in a desert / semi-arid area? Do you have trouble with yellowing?

El Chuxter
06-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Anyone else live in a desert / semi-arid area? Do you have trouble with yellowing?

I live in the desert, but I'm an opener so I can't provide much help here. :( JT's in the LA area, which is pretty dry most of the time, too.

Warstar
06-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, JT's R2 CT Leia was obviously sunlight...

I wonder how other figures of his fair?

I used to do both (one to keep, one to open) so storage wa sa huge concern of mine.

Not so much anymore :p

Rogue II
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
My figures were never exposed to sunlight, but they have been exposed to humidity when I lived in MD and dry heat now that I live in Las Vegas.

jjreason
06-14-2006, 12:30 PM
I only kept one Commtech figure on card - it's a Vader - and he's still perfectly clear. Lucky so far I guess, but none of my carded figures have started to yellow (except my vintage POTF B-Wing card w bubble, which I bought yellowed - sadly it never cleared up for me :D ).

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, JT's R2 CT Leia was obviously sunlight...

I wonder how other figures of his fair?I already mentioned that they HADN'T yellowed, which is why humidity and sunlight are not believable as major causes, they can be contributing factors but the major cause almost has to be the plastic used on that particular figure's bubble.

Slicker
06-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I'll have to keep this thread in mind when I go back home and check on my collection. I only had my R2 up for about a year or so and then it was packed away and now it's in a rubbermaid tub in a storage garage with absolutely NO sunlight. It's stored in Michigan which goes from an extreme cold in the winter to an extreme heat in the summer.

timmae
06-16-2006, 10:21 PM
i don't even know which box my comtech r2 is in to check. it is probrobly yellowing in the protech as we speak. i'll let you know if i ever see it again. i bet the new r5's look clear!

mofftarkin
09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
I also have the POTF2 Commtech R2-D2 w/ Holo Leia in the package. I figured :D it was fine in storage, just took it out today and the bubble was completely yellow. I had mine stored in complete darkness, low humidity (SoCal), about 70-85 degrees for the last 5 years and it looks like an old school vintage figure. I also had mine in a StarCase. I'm going through the rest of my figures in starcases to see if I have any other problems. :mad:

JediTricks
09-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear that yours got done-in too. I fear there's just no way around it at this point. So far, it seems to be limited to just a few POTF2 figs though, I'd totally hate it if my Toy Fair Vader bubble yellowed.

mofftarkin
09-11-2006, 04:21 PM
I think just in case, I'm going to stop using Star Cases (I only had a few anyways) and just be careful with those figures. However, I'm starting to wonder if the vintage style figures that hasbro produced in the last two years will yellow in the cases that were already sealed around them!? Unfortunately it would be ironic since they're old style packaging if they yellowed.

JON9000
09-12-2006, 09:02 AM
none of the figures I bought back in the day have the yellowing problem, but I've bought a couple to open off of ebay that had yellow bubbles. It seems to be a problem mainly with figures from the end of the POTF2 line, Commtech figures and such.

Snowtrooper
09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't have the commtech R2-D2. But I did discover recently looking through some of the old POTF2 figures I had in storage, that a GC Ponda Baba had turned yellow. It had been stored without a case and in a place with stable temps and humidity. As far as I know, it is the only one that has done this.

Jaff
09-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Like Mofftarkin my R2 with holo Leia (commtech) is completely yellow. Even worse is that it is autographed by Kenny Baker when he did a toy show for me in 2000. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, and it's been in a star case in storage when not displayed.

JediTricks
09-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Oh man, you officially win the sob story award - that totally sucks, autographed and everything. At least the bubble-yellowing seems to be consistent across the board, so its value isn't going down because of it in relation to others.

Speaking of value, I wonder if the bubbles on any of the ultra-rare big-dome variants are yellowing as well, that's going to be a kick in the crotch.

plasticfetish
09-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Forgot to check all of my carded figures when I was moving them into storage last week, but I've been thinking about this...

So many things can contribute to yellowing (all of them have been mentioned), but when JT said, "so I'm beginning to wonder if the soft case is holding in the outgassing causing the bubble to yellow," that seemed to be the most likely cause to me. I'd bet that there's something about that particular figure (not so much the Star Case) that is contributing to the yellowing. There's some particular paint, etc. that's causing the bubble to yellow at an accelerated rate.

All plastic will yellow over time, but if this plastic has done what others have not, then it must be something unique to that figure.

And just a note... You guys in Southern California (where my toys are being stored right now) may have the dry weather, but you've also got tons of pollution and heat to contribute to premature yellowing. I'd say the Star Cases are probably doing you a favor.

Blue2th
09-20-2006, 01:00 AM
I have two of Episode 1 Boss Nass. One bubble is clear, the other one yellowed heavily. Why would one yellow and not the other, when they appear to be the same figure and package? I didn't get them the same time, and one may have been included in a set of figures I bought on eBay. Obviously one has been exposed to something that would make it yellow. So it can't be only the low quality plastic as a factor, but environment also.

plasticfetish
09-20-2006, 01:43 AM
and one may have been included in a set of figures I bought on eBay.I'd bet you're right about environment in this case.

I've always thought that the clear plastic could absorb things from the air that could possibly react by yellowing much later given the right (or wrong) conditions.

Kidhuman
09-20-2006, 08:44 AM
It was probably someone smoking that caused it to yellow. &

dindae
09-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Well I recently sold my carded collection. I always kept them on pegs on the walls. I didn't have any yellowing that I noticed. But now I don't have to worry until my troopers start to turn.

JediTricks
08-04-2009, 11:58 PM
I just got out a half dozen carded commtech Stormtrooper figures from storage. They were all in the same box, and yet 2 of them are SUPER yellowed while the other 4 are pristine. I checked the date-stamps, 3 of the pristine ones are earlier cards than the 2 yellowed ones, but 1 of the pristine bubbles is from the same date. So crazy!

plasticfetish
08-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I've been sorting through (and thinning out) my carded collection lately, and have noticed a fair amount of yellowing. It all seems to be pretty random, and for the most part it's the inner tray that's turning. Weird.

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
On the CTC Stormies, it was only the bubble itself that was yellowed, and it wasn't even the whole bubble, mainly just the front, the top wasn't yellowed for the most part. Pretty sure the trays weren't yellowed, I cracked 'em open but I don't remember for sure.