PDA

View Full Version : Dagobah X-Wing

Darth Cruel
06-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I just saw on another website a picture of what is touted as being the Dagobah X-Wing due out later this year. It is supposed to be from Lee's Toy Review. But no issue number is indicated. According to this pic...it will come with removeable swamp muck, Luke, R2, and a swamp monster. Can anybody verify?

Banthaholic
06-03-2006, 12:31 AM
The picture is from the latest Lee's and yes it's true. It's posted on another site (JD) and is quite cool.

Hasbro nailed this exclussive. A revamped Luke, an multpurpose x-wing and a NEW creature

figrin bran
06-03-2006, 01:38 AM
it looks great but unfortunately due to space limitations and the fact that i already have the saga x-wing, i might have to pass on this.

Jango Speck
06-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Is that the newest R2D2? Why not use the muddy looking OTC Degobah R2 ? That creature is bizarre- reminds me of the green dionaga trash compactor monster from 1978's Death Star playset. Pass on this...:o

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 02:11 AM
I think this is gonna make a slick display, and if they window-box it as a diorama, it'll be totally awesome AND more compact. I think I will end up getting this when I see it in person.

figrin bran
06-03-2006, 02:15 AM
this is hasbro, speck. of course it would make sense to use the OTC R2 and of course they won't do it ;) the more i look at the picture, that swamp monster is quite underwhelming. like something you could get at WM for $1.

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 02:17 AM
What?!? You guys *want* the inaccurate, non-dome-turning electronic Dagobah R2 for this set? Bullmonkeys!

Darth Cruel
06-03-2006, 10:55 AM
If you all want the other R2...just use it instead. I am not a big fan of having 97 different cheesy versions of the same character released...but given no other choice, it is better than the exact same one re-released.

kool-aid killer
06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Is there a picture of this set anywhere. I mean, i....um...always check out the front page of SSG.....most of the time.....whenever i can.....and uh...i didnt see any picture of this X-wing. I looked all over too, yep. :ninja: Any mention if it will come with the boxes/cases that came out in the first version of the X-wing in Dagaboh, i thought those were so cool

jjreason
06-03-2006, 11:41 AM
It's on JediDefender, KAK, and looks like a very nice set. The Luke looks VERY well done.

Slicker
06-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Here's the pictures (http://www.jedidefender.com/image.pl?http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/3-06/TSCDagobahXWing2.jpg)

I love that damn X-Wing!!!! The Luke is nearly perfect and to top it all off we get the damn swamp monster!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow, this is awesome. I love the muck on the X-wing. The retooled Luke with the outstretched hand is fantastic. Hopefully the Dragonsnake will be the proper scale . . . even if it's not, it's damn cool. And hopefully the R2 picture is accurate and we'll finally get an R4-G9/R4-P17 repaint like they showed in the early Hoth wave pics.

This is way better than I expected.

JON9000
06-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Look how white it is!

I think I'll likely pick this up. The muck and the monster put it over the top for me!

dindae
06-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah I have to agree with JON9000 the muck and monster are definately the bee's knees! The Luke is definately a quality fig too which is great considering the quality of pack in figures lately. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Banthaholic
06-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I agree the swamp muck being removeable is an awesome idea. It makes for the ability to have either x-wing.

The Luke is also a nice touch.

But the best part is the monster. Scale or not, we saw his fin for like a second, just having a beast to play that role is classic. I said it before, but Habro knocked this one out of the ballpark.

Jaff
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I own four x-wings and the thought of buying another one sounds lame. However this set is too good to pass up. The Luke and R2 don't do nothing for me, but the sludge on the craft and the creature make it a must for me.

LTBasker
06-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to this, the X-wing with muck looks great! Luke looks odd with the giraffe neck, but hopefully that will be fixed. I wouldn't get my hopes up on the R2, that looks like the exact same picture of R2 as the Hoth promotional pic. It's the ultimate R2, and they're just teasing us with it. :mad:

Devo
06-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Excellent release from Hasbro. Although I can fairly understand why someone might be a little pi**ed having bought the original Dagobah X-wing whose only (for the time) exclusive features were the food boxes and the light - now we've got an X-wing that makes our Dagobah scenes far more complete with swamp muck and the swamp beast. Definitely buying this...assuming it becomes available at r2dtoys, my last hope for Star wars toys these days.

pegger
06-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Wow.

Did Hasbro fire everyone from pre-ROTS and hire a completely new staff? They are doing a great job this year.

mtriv73
06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Pre-ordered as soon as I saw it. This thing is amazing. The dagobah dragon beast thing is a very welcome, if unexpected, addition. Amazon has it for 10% off right now if you pre-order.

Jayspawn
06-03-2006, 10:42 PM
I think it looks great! I was gonna pass, but not after the pictures!

DarkArtist
06-04-2006, 12:15 AM
i am so looking forward to getting one of these. the set looks great. my only regret is that there is no articulation in luke's legs and arms. i would love to be able to pose him sitting on the ground next to votc yoda for the scene where luke says "i can't...it's too big." the whole yoda talking about the force scene is still to this day one of my favorites.

JediTricks
06-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Hopefully the Dragonsnake will be the proper scale . . . even if it's not, it's damn cool. HA! It'd be as big as the X-wing to be in proper scale, I believe.

And hopefully the R2 picture is accurate and we'll finally get an R4-G9/R4-P17 repaint like they showed in the early Hoth wave pics.That WOULD be nice, I'm sick of seeing that awful chrome and stupid glued-on door and removable 3rd leg that is the VOTC-turned-Early Bird version.

TheDarthVader
06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
I am going to have to order one of these! I don't have many ships, but this is a can't miss item. I like the swamp monster figure.

Can someone provide a link for the amazon preorder (which was mentioned)?

B.
TDV

BanthaPoodoo
06-05-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000CEXNOO/sr=8-1/qid=1149536529/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1416900-2977707?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Turbowars
06-05-2006, 05:52 PM
The muck has me sold.

Reefer Shark
06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the link BanthaPoodo, got mine on order.

This set is just way too cool to pass up. Now I'm kinda bummed I bought the 1st Dagobah TRU X-Wing though. Mabye I'll customize it or something...

Warstar
06-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Power FX X-Wing Body? Removable R2?

I might have to buy this one...if only for the fact of the removable muck :p

I take it that there are no electronics?

...then I'll have to hunt down a correct scale Target TIE Fighter and maybe have some fun :D

We'll see :p

Turbowars
06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Power FX X-Wing Body? Removable R2?

I might have to buy this one...if only for the fact of the removable muck :p

I take it that there are no electronics?

...then I'll have to hunt down a correct scale Target TIE Fighter and maybe have some fun :D

We'll see :pYep, no electronics. This will be the 3rd time this babby hit's shelves since what, 97 with sounds and crap?

Jargo
06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
wish the dragonsnake had been a separate deluxe figure release. That's all I want. If anyone gets it and doesn't want the dragonsnake let me know please. Fankoo.

Bacta Beast
06-05-2006, 10:27 PM
The worst thing about this to me, is that I already bought the last one! I wish I had known this was coming!!

TheDarthVader
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
The worst thing about this to me, is that I already bought the last one! I wish I had known this was coming!!

Man, am I lucky. I traded my saga dagobah x wing away about a year ago. :)

B.
TDV

El Chuxter
06-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Damn you Hasbro! I don't want a third stinking X-Wing, and I don't have anywhere to put one. And $45 is a bit steep. But you had to put the dragonsnake in there, didn't you? B******s!!

How do you bloodsucking fiends sleep at night? You'll do everything in your power to make it harder for me to cut back on the vehicles, won't you?

I hate you with every ounce of my soul, but, crap, I want that dragonsnake.

Oh, and thanks, by the way, for giving this to TRU. I had a tough enough time finding exclusives there before they all closed.

JediTricks
06-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I got the previous Dagobah X-wing for my birthday when it came out, I'm very happy with it but its paint isn't as good-looking as this. I think I can find room in my life for both of them, I love the X-wing.

TheDarthVader
06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
I know how you feel El Chuxter. I was thinking the same thing. But I can not miss this one...not this time. I don't care about space or how much this x-wing cost (even though I am usually pretty thrifty when it comes to speding cash). I have to have this one. The muck, the paint, the dragon snake=freakin' cool. :D

Jargo
06-07-2006, 12:13 PM
By the way, I was deadly serious about the dragonsnake. If there's anyone wants the x-wing but not the creature let me know. I'm willing to either pay or trade for it.

bobafrett
06-07-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't know, I'm pretty much a box person, as in the ship will never come "out of the box", if I get one. Otherwise I would send one your way!

dindae
06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I could send you my empty boxes and save you a ton of money. :D

abell748
06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
When I first about this version of the X-Wing, I was underwhelmed. After seeing the pictures however, I am a changed man. I managed to not pick up the Red Leader X-Wing, but this one is too hard to resist!!!

Turbowars
06-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Did you guys see these yet?

Click on these links for way bigger pics!

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/6-06/dagobahx_front1.jpg

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/6-06/dagobahx_snake.jpg

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/6-06/dagobahx_muck.jpg

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/6-06/dagobahx_top.jpg

LTBasker
06-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Alas, again we have been merely teased with the taste of the ultimate R2. It just says Dagobah X-Wing with Luke and Dragonsnake on the box. It's so cruel how they've tempted us with that R2 not once, but twice! I can't believe they went through the trouble of making it just to do that...

Banthaholic
06-23-2006, 09:30 AM
This looks tight. The R2 is no big deal, who doesn't have 15 R2's by know anyhow.

This displays very nicely. I'm just shocked at how cool this is, it will definitely be in my home this fall.

mtriv73
06-23-2006, 09:45 AM
That looks so good in the box that I may have to keep it that way when I get it. Maybe the R2 will be released as a single carded figure in an early '07 wave. The first waves of the next year usually show up just before Christmas anyway.

Dark Marble
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I am not to bummed about the R2 either, I have the dagobah version from the OTC and it will display great with the new X-wing! It looks like a great set.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2006, 01:14 PM
I really love the packaging on this! The dragonsnake is a little small, but it's still pretty sweet.

Slicker
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
WOW!! I absolutely love it! I can't wait until I find this in stores. I won't hesitate one second.

Reefer Shark
06-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Holy crap! That looks fantastic! This may be the first vehicle that I actually keep sealed. :cool:

Devo
06-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Possibly the best vehicle release ever!!!

A rehash the X-wing may be but I've never seen a more beautifully painted and presented vehicle in the entirety of the line. Excellent added value with the swamp muck, dragon beast and retooled 'raising the X-wing' Dagobah Luke.

Now more than ever we need Yoda's house!!!! Come ON Hasbro!!!!!

Jargo
06-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Am I really going to have to buy that thing to get a dragonsnake? box aint small either. god I hate window boxes.
bring back the plain white boxes with a drawing on the front. lol

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow. That's. . . underwhelming.

Sorry, but this isn't floating my boat at all.

Turbowars
06-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Am I really going to have to buy that thing to get a dragonsnake? box aint small either. god I hate window boxes.
bring back the plain white boxes with a drawing on the front. lolAre you also so disagreeable? Oh yeah you are.:D

K M Toydarian
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
As soon as I saw the pics, I knew I had to get it. Between this set and the OTC Dagobah figs, it's practically a playset! Love it.

Devo
06-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I feel that the new Rogue 2 Snowspeeder deserves mention in this thread too. Another Empire Strikes Back vehicle rerelease where Hasbro seem to have gone to real effort to make it worthwhile with a newly sculpted Zev pilot and the opening airbrakes. I have to get these. If I miss them like I did the large wing TIE (didn't become available at R2dtoys for some reason, everything else does) I'll be upset.

Bacta Beast
06-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I feel that the new Rogue 2 Snowspeeder deserves mention in this thread too. Another Empire Strikes Back vehicle rerelease where Hasbro seem to have gone to real effort to make it worthwhile with a newly sculpted Zev pilot and the opening airbrakes. I have to get these. If I miss them like I did the large wing TIE (didn't become available at R2dtoys for some reason, everything else does) I'll be upset.

Steve already has a thread fot it Devo. Right here http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=478610#post478610 :D

Devo
06-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I know I came from there, thats why I posted this :D I'm thrilled at these rereleases. I didn't think I could be. And the grey TIE aswell!! I want them all right now. And I'll take 2 TIEs to flank either Vaders TIE or the Imperial Shuttle.

Banthaholic
08-18-2006, 11:47 PM
The boxed pics online I've seen of this don't do it justice. Saw this at TRU today and the box is massive and the display is nothing short of awesome.

I really like the look of the swamp muck and the included dragon snake is a nice beast add-in. I'm trying to figure out who's hand Luke is loking to shake though.

TheDarthVader
08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
How much is this at TRU? Is it $39.99? Thanks.

Darth Cruel
08-19-2006, 10:19 PM
My buddy picked up the AT-AT, this Dagobah X-Wing and the T.I.E. Fighter at TRU today and told me that the X-Wing and T.I.E Fighter are each $50.00. He did not say whether that was before or after yaxes were added.

Banthaholic
08-19-2006, 11:10 PM
The x-wing sells for $45, though I had a $5 off coupon, so after tax it ended up being $42 and some change.

It's worth every penny too. I just can't stop with the compliments on this thing. Having this next to the AOTC/Saga Dagobah x-wing with semi-dirty R2, that model looks like crap.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tie-Fighter, I'll have to search for that this coming week.

Luuuuuuke
08-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm going to pass on this one. It's too expensive for what you get. I can just use an old X-Wing and spread some canned spinach over it:D

Jargo
08-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Really hope people don't want their dragonsnakes. I have absolutely no need or desire for an x-wing. Just want the dragonsnake. :( Bah humbug.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Unless the deco on the actual ship is spectacular, I think I'm going to pass on this one. I have the previous Dagobah X-wing, I don't really love some of the paint but it's the same mold and has an R2 figure. This is a nice enough set, but I'm not really interested in the muck and the undersized dragonsnake, so the only appeal is the new paintjob and the new-arm Luke figure.

pegger
08-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I picked up one today, and I have to say that this thing is sweet. Undoubtedly the best window box vehicle I've seen to date. It is GORGEOUS ...

DarkArtist
08-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Saw this today and WOW. Love it. Passed today since I had no green but will be getting this when I get payed.:thumbsup: I thought they were also including R2 with this set ?

Bacta Beast
08-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I bought it but I feel like I got ripped off for the price! I don't see why that can't at least add electronics for that price. I wish I had known this one was coming when I bought the last one:sad: . I would have waited. I'm scared of seeing the At-At, don't know how I can afford it! At least we're finally gatting the shuttle for $60 at Target. beats the $100 at FAO!

Blue2th
08-26-2006, 04:12 PM
So the TIE is out also? I have not seen it yet, but I will be looking now. I picked up the X-Wing and AT-AT last week. I almost didn't buy the AT-AT. I'm glad I did as people's online orders at TRU are being cancelled, just like before. I do like this X-Wing though. I missed the last one TRU had.

Slicker
08-26-2006, 04:18 PM
So the TIE is out also? Yep. I believe it's been found in California.

dindae
08-27-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm glad I did as people's online orders at TRU are being cancelled, just like before. Weird I just ordered it this week and it has shipped. Even found a coupon code for 20% off.

Blue2th
08-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I checked again, (looking for the TIE) the AT-AT is available now. Some people over at Yakface were reporting some cancellations on the 23rd.

Slicker
09-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I went to TRU today and finally saw this and words can't even begin to say how awesome this looks. The window box is friggin' enourmous and the X-Wing looks truly killer. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

DarkArtist
09-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I really want this but I am torn in two. Part of me see this as a work of art and doesn't want to remove it from the package, yet the kid in me want to rip the plastic away and fly around the room chasing TIE's and racing to Bespin to save the Princess.

Turbowars
09-04-2006, 11:58 PM
I really want this but I am torn in two. Part of me see this as a work of art and doesn't want to remove it from the package, yet the kid in me want to rip the plastic away and fly around the room chasing TIE's and racing to Bespin to save the Princess.I feel the same way! I know how to fix the problem, one 2 LOL.

JediTricks
09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I saw it in person at my TRU and just didn't feel anything for it, it's a nice set but it's grossly overpriced IMO and just isn't special-enough from the previous Dagobah X-wing which I already have.

TheDarthVader
09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
I saw it in person at my TRU and just didn't feel anything for it, it's a nice set but it's grossly overpriced IMO and just isn't special-enough from the previous Dagobah X-wing which I already have.

I am just wondering...what do you buy? The exclusive unleashed are overpriced, the tie fighter is overpriced, the AT-AT is overpriced...so what does that leave? Most all Star Wars toys have gone up in price over the years. Even the figures are pretty much overpriced at $6.99 (greatest hits- Target, or $6.64 regular Target). So when everything gets too high what will you buy that is Hasbro Star Wars?

Not writing this to be negative, I am just curious. Have you gone to just sideshow/gentle giant/weta now or something? :)

Don't take this as an attack or anything. :)

Turbowars
09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey, what's it to you!! Oh wait you weren't talking to me were you. :whip:

El Chuxter
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm with JT. This isn't worth the money it costs, considering we got almost the same thing without the mud only a couple of years ago.

decadentdave
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
No kidding. JT is always complaining about everything being overpriced. Yes, most items are but is that your justification to not enjoy it? I purchased 2 of the Dagobah X-Wing (one to open, one to keep) and it was worth every penny. If money is your rationalization NOT to buy something then I can rationalize just about everything down to a cheap cup of coffee from a vending machine. As for the AT-AT... yeah, it IS way too overpriced. I'm still debating that one myself. A hundred bucks for a mud covered repaint is NOT worth its weight in coin. My hope is that if enough collector's pass on these they will pile up at TRU until they clearance them out. I'll roll the dice and hope for a bargain with that one. The X-Wing, I'm not taking any chances of missing out on that one.

Turbowars
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
I felt the same thing about the X-Wing. It's just too cool for school! I didn't buy 2, but I might if I see another in a week or 2.

The AT-AT is a horrible deal. The mud looks really bad, I mean reallly really bad. I don't even care about the Scout's filp up helmet. I think if they did a snow deco and charge 49.99 it would be selling batter. The mold has been around for what 26 years, that that just ridiculous. Hasbro and TRU should be ashamed of themselves. $45 for the Tie is BS as well, but I caved and bought it. I just wished they would had released this big winged fighter in the white deco that's coming new year.

TheDarthVader
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey, what's it to you!! Oh wait you weren't talking to me were you. :whip:

Hobbes growls at you. Nope, not this time. ;)

Turbowars
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Hobbes growls at you. Nope, not this time. ;)
Still running that useless, I mean useful Holo figure thread? JUST KIDDING.:p Just giving you some crap.

stad
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Weird I just ordered it this week and it has shipped. Even found a coupon code for 20% off.

Umm, want to share the coupon code?

decadentdave
09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
I felt the same thing about the X-Wing. It's just too cool for school! I didn't buy 2, but I might if I see another in a week or 2.

The AT-AT is a horrible deal. The mud looks really bad, I mean reallly really bad. I don't even care about the Scout's filp up helmet. I think if they did a snow deco and charge 49.99 it would be selling batter. The mold has been around for what 26 years, that that just ridiculous. Hasbro and TRU should be ashamed of themselves. $45 for the Tie is BS as well, but I caved and bought it. I just wished they would had released this big winged fighter in the white deco that's coming new year.

So we're already getting ANOTHER variant of the TIE? So we have blue, gray and now white. So who is getting that exclusive?

I also thought that the Biker Scout with flip-open face is going to be released individually next year. I thought I saw this on display at Comic Con.

dindae
09-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Umm, want to share the coupon code?

Unfortunately it expired on the 31st. However I just did a search in google for toys r us coupons and found several. I would have posted it but I didn't want the site to get any heat for it.

shammykenobi
09-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I bought theluke x-wing over the weekend and decided to open it...it is hand's down the collest thing in my collection...words cannot explain how bad@$$ it is...and I know everyone likes to whine and moan about re-packs, but until this x-wing came along, I didn't care a thing about buying one...so hasbro re-packs it, throws some mud on it and I buy it...which proves their point about re-packs...i also bought the tie-fighter but didn't open it...I may take it back for a refund...I wanted to get the at-at but they didn't have it...even though they retail for $90 they've been going steady on ebay for $120-$130 plus shipping...might be some long-range value there.

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 06:35 PM
I am just wondering...what do you buy? The exclusive unleashed are overpriced, the tie fighter is overpriced, the AT-AT is overpriced...so what does that leave? Most all Star Wars toys have gone up in price over the years. Even the figures are pretty much overpriced at $6.99 (greatest hits- Target, or $6.64 regular Target). So when everything gets too high what will you buy that is Hasbro Star Wars?

Not writing this to be negative, I am just curious. Have you gone to just sideshow/gentle giant/weta now or something? :)

Don't take this as an attack or anything. :)I already overpaid for the TIE Fighter last year, I overpaid for the AT-AT in the POTF2 line, I got the Saga Dagobah X-wing for my birthday when it came out but if I hadn't I would have bought it. I overpaid for about half the Titanium Series 6" Ultra vehicle line (I bought 2 more at clearance prices, and didn't buy 2 of them at all). I overpay for most of the basic new figures but only ones I like or at least are really new (like I won't pay $7 for a recarded ROTS figure I bought last year unless I actually want it). I buy the Titanium Series 3" vehicles at $5 a piece and they're an ok if not great value. This Hasbro 4" figure stuff is a terrible value though compared to just about every other toy line out there, so I don't buy as much as I like anymore, I buy only the stuff that absolutely interests me rather than buying nearly everything all casually. I'm equally picky and frugal with my Sideshow purchases and Master Replicas purchases (both of which I only collect their less-expensive lines and even then I'm still picky).

If the price goes up again on Hasbro SW, I will likely drop the line altogether, it's too expensive hunting for this crap all over town, being disappointed when I can't find any because there are over a thousand collectors in my area and never enough product to go around, and then buying something like Chief Chirpa for $7 and he's barely any product at all in the packaging instead of including extra accessories or a second ewok to bring the value up to the pricepoint. Titanium Series 3" will probably be my only line if they jack up all the prices again.

And I don't remember saying the Target Unleashed are overpriced, I don't collect them because I don't like them (at any price), and I said the Target Unleashed packages are too big for viable shelf space at that price.

No kidding. JT is always complaining about everything being overpriced. Yes, most items are but is that your justification to not enjoy it?Hey, what the hell??? First off, it's not my fault this stuff is so overpriced lately - that's Hasbro's response to sagging sales due to being an off-movie year, make the collectors take up the slack, it's the stupidest policy I can think of, make your loyal customers suffer while driving away potential new customers. Read my post again, I said it's not different enough from the previous version I already own, I'm not interested in paying a hefty premium simply because Malibu Stacy comes with a new hat. And as for it being overpriced, it absolutely is, Hasbro says the majority of their costs is in the price of the tooling, in this set the vehicle's tooling was budgeted for sales 8 years ago when it first came out and the retooling paid for when they released this seated version in the first Saga line 3 years ago, the figure is the same one from their OTC entry except with a new arm, so they have to pay for the following new tooling: new arm, removable muck, small dragonsnake, I'll go generous and say that's about 20% of the set, but the rest is profit yet they're charging us like it's not. Compare this X-wing set in size and features to the $30 vehicles from last year's ROTS line and they come out more or less even overall, yet we're paying 50% more simply because it's an exclusive? That's not reasonable in my mind.

I already gave love to the X-wing mold in the first place, I don't need to defend my opinion of it again.

As for the AT-AT... yeah, it IS way too overpriced. I'm still debating that one myself. A hundred bucks for a mud covered repaint is NOT worth its weight in coin.So first you come down on me for saying the X-wing set is overpriced and then you make the same claim about the AT-AT, with similar arguments no less? How is the AT-AT any different? It's double in size and price of the X-wing and comes with 2 figures, it's a mud repaint where the X-wing is a muck repaint. I don't call you out for drawing an imaginary line and then tapdancing on it, I'm at least consistant with my opinion.

I also thought that the Biker Scout with flip-open face is going to be released individually next year. I thought I saw this on display at Comic Con.The head is being used in the ROTJ Commemorative Tin set on the VTSC body, the AT-AT body is the POTJ version. Neither figure is set to be released on a basic card though.

decadentdave
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Simmer down JT. You take this WAY too seriously. Allow me to explain. The FX X-Wing originally had a retail price of what... $29.99? Or was it $39.99? I'll be generous and say it was $29.99 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). So $45 for an exclusive Dagobah X-Wing sans electronics with 2 pack-in figures and plastic bog deco in an attractive window-box display and the plus $15 is not unreasonable. To be fair, most of the cost is the packaging itself. I much rather prefer the attractive display box than a generic rectangular retail box of the FX X-Wing. And this sure beats Wedge's Red-2 X-Wing or whatever it was that was exclusive to TRU just a few years ago and that WAS $39.99 as I explicitly remember it being so priced.

As for the AT-AT, I think everyone here agrees. If it had been packaged in an attractive window display box like the X-Wing then it would justify the price point. It's virtually identical in packaging to the POTF2 AT-AT. This IS a rip off. THat's why I passed on it. I can make my own with one of the 10 AT-AT's I picked up on clearance at KB Toys for $25.

shammykenobi
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Yep. I believe it's been found in California.

The TIE is in Ga(ahtens) too...I found one at my toys'r'us over the weekend.

stillakid
09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm not interested in paying a hefty premium simply because Malibu Stacy comes with a new hat.

But she also came with a commerative lace thong from Victoria's Secret. The red variant was worth the hunt.

decadentdave
09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Who the !@#$ is Malibu Stacy?

stillakid
09-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Who the !@#$ is Malibu Stacy?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :love:

Turbowars
09-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Simmer down JT. You take this WAY too seriously. Allow me to explain. The FX X-Wing originally had a retail price of what... $29.99? Or was it $39.99? I'll be generous and say it was $29.99 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). So $45 for an exclusive Dagobah X-Wing sans electronics with 2 pack-in figures and plastic bog deco in an attractive window-box display and the plus $15 is not unreasonable. To be fair, most of the cost is the packaging itself. I much rather prefer the attractive display box than a generic rectangular retail box of the FX X-Wing. And this sure beats Wedge's Red-2 X-Wing or whatever it was that was exclusive to TRU just a few years ago and that WAS $39.99 as I explicitly remember it being so priced.

As for the AT-AT, I think everyone here agrees. If it had been packaged in an attractive window display box like the X-Wing then it would justify the price point. It's virtually identical in packaging to the POTF2 AT-AT. This IS a rip off. THat's why I passed on it. I can make my own with one of the 10 AT-AT's I picked up on clearance at KB Toys for $25.The FX x-wing was about 50-60.

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Who the !@#$ is Malibu Stacy?The Barbie doll of the world of The Simpsons, Lisa Simpson was disgusted at the mindless drivel the new Talking Malibu Stacy was spewing, and set out to have a new fashion doll who wasn't just a cheap moron bimbo made and could inspire girls, eventually she got the Lisa Lionheart talking doll made and the town of Springfield eventually became enthralled with it, crowding the closed toy store to get them - as the doors opened and the crowd rushed towards the display of Lisa Lionhearts they were distracted by a new shipment of Malibu Stacy dolls and completely ignored Lisa Lionheart dolls. The Malibu Stacy dolls were exactly the same as previous versions but as supercollector Waylon Smithers pointed out, she had a new hat. Oh boy, I've just wasted 5 minutes typing that up when I could have just linked you to this photo and brief bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Stacy#Malibu_Stacy

Simmer down JT. You take this WAY too seriously.You asked a serious question at my expense.

Allow me to explain. The FX X-Wing originally had a retail price of what... $29.99? Or was it $39.99? I'll be generous and say it was $29.99 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).$49.99, but it was filled with electronics, had a HUGE box, and was at the time an all-new mold which somewhat justified the price (though I think we mostly all agreed at the time it wasn't worth it).

So $45 for an exclusive Dagobah X-Wing sans electronics with 2 pack-in figures and plastic bog deco in an attractive window-box display and the plus $15 is not unreasonable.I don't buy that explanation, I do find it unresonable that a 4-time use mold is more expensive when the mold budget has already been repaid, and I've already stated my argument previously, this does nothing to allay that IMO.

To be fair, most of the cost is the packaging itself. The packaging is not a vital element of the product though, it's somewhat expendable, you cannot tell me that's $45 of packaging, I wouldn't believe even half that, it's cardboard, some cellophane windows, twisty-ties, and printing. Its footprint probably costs as much as the box itself to the retailer. Look at the Target Slave I, similar box in materials, similarly-sized product, but smaller footprint and thus smaller pricetag.

I much rather prefer the attractive display box than a generic rectangular retail box of the FX X-Wing.That's a bit of a sticky argument though, setting aside the comment about the Power FX box which was stupid-huge and hardly a benchmark to aim for, let's say Hasbro could make a smaller box and use photos instead of a product diorama, now you have something that you can ship more units in a single case which lowers the pricetag, retailers have more room for the item so they don't have to charge as much "rent" to it or they can put more product out so it moves more easily which lowers the pricetag, the smaller amount of material lowers the pricetag, the lack of partial assembly lowers the pricetag, and now that you have a significantly lower pricetag, that means the odds of casual collectors buying it goes up, and when those odds go up it means Hasbro can consider offering the item to mass-retail instead of as a retailer exclusive which means the price goes down again since they'll sell far more units and can make more profit through bulk. So while you like the diorama thing more, without it the item could have a significantly cheaper pricetag and ship way more units... so which is better for the product?

TheDarthVader
09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey JT, i think we finally arrived at the point i was getting at...you are headed in the direction of not buying any more Hasbro toy products. I had this feeling that you were leaning in that direction. I just wanted to get it out of ya. ;)

JediTricks
09-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey JT, i think we finally arrived at the point i was getting at...you are headed in the direction of not buying any more Hasbro toy products. I had this feeling that you were leaning in that direction. I just wanted to get it out of ya. ;)
That's not even remotely accurate, I buy nearly every new mold vehicle at this point and most of the new figures right now, plus all the new Titaniums and a few repaints, as well as Star Wars Transformers, I'm not HEADING towards anything since Hasbro claims they're not raising prices next year. Your argument was a hypothetical, under that banner you could argue that my legs might fall off, doesn't mean I'm heading towards not walking anymore.

dindae
09-10-2006, 11:58 AM
JT just has different ideas of what is worth purchasing. I remember back in the "never been made figure" thread. 75% of the figures we discussed he wasn't interested in. It is just what he likes. I imagine if I wrote down the figures/ship I really wanted from memory I would have very few figures, but there are plenty I would buy. To me the TRU exclusives are limited runs so the price is higher per unit. Does it make it a good value? No. Does it keep me from buying? No. But I lean towards being a completist.

Devo
09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
This arrived in the post for me yesterday in an absolutely immense box the likes of which I'd expect to find a large TV in. I look at this toy and I don't care or even recall what I paid for it, it is just so beautiful. And its out of stock now at r2dtoys so damn glad I am that I got in on time.

Its a diorama, not merely a vehicle release. The Cardboard base and backdrop provide the best setting for this vehicle you could possibly get outside of an actual swamp, actual mud, vines and trees. The plastic swamp muck was the big seller for me but to see this thing in the box one gets that 'oh I didn't waste my money here' feeling. The paintjob on the ship is back to the higher standards we used to get before the prequel line of vehicles.

I really wish Hasbro would do Yoda's house, now more than ever. It would make such an excellent companion piece to this X-wing. They could put it in a cardboard setting like they did this and the two sets could be combined to form a pretty much complete Dagobah diorama. One exception Hasbro, JUST ONE EXCEPTION to your 'no playsets' rule.

Jaff
09-14-2006, 08:17 AM
There's much heated comnversations on this thread about price points and I felt I'd chime in my viewpoint on this one. I bought the Dagobah X-Wing and was stunned at it's very hefty $49.00 price. The Luke, craft and creature I thought was worth it, but the price for vehicles seem to be getting extreme. Back in 98 the F/X ran for around $50 and I thought it was too much then. Two years ago (4/04 to be exact) the Red leader X-Wing was just $29.00. So was the Dagobah Saga version (Aug 2002) that came with R2 and accessories in 2002. This X-Wing had no electronics. Also the Kay Bee TIE (which is the same with minor color difference) was not $45. It was much cheaper. Even the Zev snowspeeder (which was 29.99 with DAK AND LUKE in 3/02) is getting higher. I will buy the snowspeeder but it's getting extreme. If hasbro wants to make it's vehicles slow sellers because their going the expensive route that's fine, I just wish they would release something new, not just another rehash or repaint. In the end I'm buying the snowspeeder for Zev. I could care less about the Snowspeeder because I got two speeders already. Another AT-AT? No thank you, I already got one you silly english types! I got an AT-AT Driver and a Biker Scout so I don't need that one too. Now make something new hasbro if your going to stretch the prices to the limit, or I will taunt you a second tiiiimmmeeee!:p

Jargo
09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I still only want the dragonsnake.

Devo
09-14-2006, 08:12 PM
The At-At doesn't have enough thats new about it to warrant a purchase in my opinion. The paintjob looks really bland, theres no diorama-like display backdrop, no new toy features, figures we already have plus better (or at least will have in the form of the flip-up visor VTSC Biker scout in the tin set). Nice outer packaging but thats not sufficient for me. I think the Dagobah X-wing ticks all the right boxes though, I reckoned it was worthy of whatever price I paid, assuming that even if it was somewhat of a rip-off it wouldn't feel like such to me, diorama enthusiast that I am. Hell I even ordered that dagobah Complete Galaxy thing from almost 10 years ago just to get the flying creature to compliment this set. I would pay a decent wad of cash to get Yoda's house. I really love to complete scenes&environments and Yodas house would do nicely now.

Bacta Beast
09-14-2006, 09:26 PM
The At-At doesn't have enough thats new about it to warrant a purchase in my opinion. The paintjob looks really bland, theres no diorama-like display backdrop, no new toy features, figures we already have plus better (or at least will have in the form of the flip-up visor VTSC Biker scout in the tin set). Nice outer packaging but thats not sufficient for me. I think the Dagobah X-wing ticks all the right boxes though, I reckoned it was worthy of whatever price I paid, assuming that even if it was somewhat of a rip-off it wouldn't feel like such to me, diorama enthusiast that I am. Hell I even ordered that dagobah Complete Galaxy thing from almost 10 years ago just to get the flying creature to compliment this set. I would pay a decent wad of cash to get Yoda's house. I really love to complete scenes&environments and Yodas house would do nicely now.

Justso ya' know. They did change the electronics inside the AT-AT. The "you may start your landing" part has been removed. It's all just sounds now. And of course the corresponding pistures of Vader and the generator have been exchanged for forest pics!. However it looks like the Speeder Bike trooper that will arrive in the collector's tins will improve on this one as he not only has the lifting visor, but also the VTSC body sculpt!

Mad Slanted Powers
09-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Just got an e-mail saying mine is backordered.

dindae
09-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah I got one too which is ironic since my local TRU is drowning in them and I would happily cancel my order and go buy one of those. Too bad they have no cancel option.

VidKidd
09-21-2006, 02:07 PM
i got lucky i gues syou could say. They cancel my AT AT and sense they did that i was allowed to cancel my whole order (was just that and the x wing) and just went into my local TRU and bought it. In fact the tuesday they released the DVDs my local TRU had about 25 x wings out, one ATAT, and one clone wars ship. I got lucky, i never got my clone was ship, so needless to say i bought all three. And im happy. I dont open many things, so opening the AT AT was fun, great for display. Havent opened the gunhip or x wing, need to get my room more organized and what not first.

VidKidd
09-21-2006, 02:21 PM
And my opinion on prices. Hell yeah it gets expensive but for me personally, i dont have any of these ships. I had only collected figures. i started with episode I, i was young and not able to work so id get a few figures here and there that my parents would buy. When episode II came around i was fully employed and tried to get on of every figures. In fact the only vehicles i bought with the ROTS line was the target exclusies and thats cause:1. i work there, 2- i got the tie fighter on clearence for like $20ish. I just started buying ships really with the saga line. So when it comes down to it, im a new collector for vehicles, yeah i agree prices can and do suck. But as long as people keep buying, hasbro isnt gonna stop. Im sure down the road we will get plenty of new scultps, maybe when the tv series gets put out. But for now hasbros probably just trying to see what works best for them, thats remakes.
Less cost for them to make + higher price tag= more money in their pocket.
all we can do is hope and pray that the force will be strong with us.

rbaumhauer
09-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah I got one too which is ironic since my local TRU is drowning in them and I would happily cancel my order and go buy one of those. Too bad they have no cancel option.

Call them - they will cancel a backordered item with no fuss, despite what the site says. I did exactly that when they turned up on shelves here.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-26-2006, 05:56 PM
I was in Williamsport, PA the past few days and I saw the X-Wing there. I didn't want to pack it on the flight home, and I have one on order, so I didn't get it, but at least I have seen it now.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-26-2006, 08:01 PM
I finished going through my e-mails and see now that it has shipped.

TheDarthVader
09-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I received an email too. That means that my X-wing is on its way. I hope it gets here quick. I am looking forward to this one.

TheDarthVader
09-29-2006, 10:54 PM
The toy and box are awesome! Unfortuantely, mine came with a beat up window. I guess I am going to either try to get another one by returning this one or open her up! I love the dragonsnake; that thing is BAD ***!