PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Darth Maul 12"

mm74md
06-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Not sure if anyone else has seen the latest Star Wars Insider, but there is a picture of the Sideshow 12" Darth Maul. It looks friggin' awesome. I saw the magazine yesterday at Suncoast. If anyone else has received their Insider, please scan & post the pic. It also had pictures of the various Sideshow vinyl figs.

Darth Cruel
06-03-2006, 10:11 PM
This I gotta see!

Edit - I will say this. I do not believe that Darth Maul is the next Sideshow 12" figure. But if he is, and if his exclusive version is the one that Sideshow intends to use as the Inclusive Edition, then we shall have to hail Sideshow.

jonthejedi
06-04-2006, 04:21 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready for Sideshow to start turning out the clonetroopers or a 12" Vader. This Militaries line has me curiosity piqued!

Darth Cruel
06-04-2006, 05:56 AM
I feel that is as strong a possibility as anything. They said in the beginning that when they did the troops, they would find a way to make sure army builders got a chance to get some extras of these. And in the past, when they gave a list of possibilities for the next figure, they sometimes made it the first one on the list of choices they gave us. Further, just a few months ago, they said troops were not too far off. So I see that as easily possible. But then, this Darth Maul is still hanging over our heads with the april fools preview and the reported Insider pic...so we'll see.

Turbowars
06-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Why didn't you buy the mag and post it? I would had.:hurt: ;)

Sith Lord 0498
06-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Why didn't you buy the mag and post it? I would had.:hurt: ;)

As soon as I saw the initial post, I hauled butt up to Barnes and Noble, but they're still backlogged with the previous issue. Sad part is I had one heck of a head cold yesterday (just starting to get over it now), but I went outside in the chilly wind nevertheless just to get a glimpse of this figure.

Oh, how pathetic... :cry: :p

Please, someone get this issue, scan it, and post it!!!

Darth Instigator
06-05-2006, 08:39 AM
omg I must see, is it for sale anywhere?

mm74md
06-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I was hoping a subscriber would have had it by now. I saw it at Suncoast locally here. I'll go out on my lunch break & pick it up. I usually don't buy it anymore since the movies are no more.

Jayspawn
06-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I havnt seen the magazine yet -but I'm anxious to see how Maul looks. I'll get one for sure (even though Hasbro's is actually pretty good).

mm74md
06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't have a camera phone, but I got the mag today and will post the pic tonight. Here is the story

12-Inch Darth Maul
"The second entry in Sideshow Collectibles Dark Lords of the Sith line (you did preorder the 12" Darth Vader: Sith Apprentice exclusive, didn't you?) is the satanic-looking Darth Maul. Created with an amazing likeness of actor Ray Park,Maul comes with a hooded Sith robe, several lightsaber variations, electrobinoculars, interchangeable hands, and a display base. The regular version should still be available for preorder at www.sideshowcollectibles.com for $49.99"

12-Inch Accessory Set-Sith Probe Droids

"Shortly after the 12" Darth Maul goes on sale, Sideshow will make this set of Sith probe droids (as seen in The Phantom Menace) available for approximately $29.99. The set comes with three probe droids and includes support rods, a desert-themed display base, and a droid controller bracelet. *Prototype shown"

nash
06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I havnt seen the magazine yet -but I'm anxious to see how Maul looks. I'll get one for sure (even though Hasbro's is actually pretty good).

Jayspawn! Good to see you again, the forum is back :). wow it's been awhile. how have you been?

Sith Lord 0498
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Until better pics come this evening, here a crappy one from my camera phone. I drove the 15 miles to the nearest Suncoast and grabbed a shot from the magazine.

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1181&d=1149541275

Reefer Shark
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Very, very sweet! Thanks for the info and pic. I knew Maul would look great, but I had no idea that they were going to do the probe droids, I'll definitely order both Maul and the droids.

Now the big question - what's the exclusive version going to be????

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Cool photo!

I'd like a second head as the exclusive accessory, one with that crazy Maul grimmace with the bad teeth. I suppose they could do another hologram like Anakin's, but that'd be cheap.

Sith Lord 0498
06-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Cool photo!

I'd like a second head as the exclusive accessory, one with that crazy Maul grimmace with the bad teeth. I suppose they could do another hologram like Anakin's, but that'd be cheap.

Actually, now there's a figure where Anakin's exclusive accessory will actually make sense!!! :)

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Not really, Maul never spoke to a tiny hologram, the only tiny hologram in TPM was of the Royal Starship, Maul spoke to a full-sized hologram.

Sith Lord 0498
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey, mm74md, since the article and pic I took from the Insider is spreading like wildfire, I made sure to give you due credit for being the guy who first reported it.

Not sure if it really matters to you or not, but hey...give credit where it's due.

Thanks for revealing this to our little community here!!! :)

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I posted it in the SSG news, credited both of you. Good job guys!

Turbowars
06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Very cool, so I guess he is next. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
06-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Now the big question - what's the exclusive version going to be????
I thought that there would be only "Inclusive" versions. Or does this only apply to Regular editions? Maybe the extra Probe Droids eliminate the need for an Exclusive Maul. It's all confusing and clear as mud.

Turbowars
06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
It's all confusing and clear as mud.You got that right bro!

swabie2424
06-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the pix and info. I am also a little confused as to ho wthis whole inclusive thing works... but the good thing is I'm positive SSC will have lots of info for us come Thursday evening.

That's why SSC is a good company. Info is never too far away. Meanwhile, Gentle Giant would let this whole thing drag on for six and a half months....

AmanaMatt
06-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Normally, an exclusive or regular version of a fig will have 'X' amount available for preorder, whether it is 2000 (for exclusives) or 7000 (for regulars); the inclusive versions will have a fig, such as Maul on sale for a predetermined amount of time (which has not been stated yet) - anyone can order during this timeframe, and when the preordering time is over, the amount of figures ordered will become the production run total.

Even if a fig is sold for 24 hours, the potential is there to have a huge amount preordered, but for figures like Maul, I think this is a very good idea. The worst thing to do is to upset fans with characters like this that they cannot order - if you cant get Maul, many fans would probably just say 'screw it' to the Sideshow line.

I love the idea of the inclusive figures.

I saw this Maul pic in the Star Wars Mag today - he looks absolutely stunning.

Ps, great to be back!

Matt

Darth Cruel
06-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Normally, an exclusive or regular version of a fig will have 'X' amount available for preorder, whether it is 2000 (for exclusives) or 7000 (for regulars); the inclusive versions will have a fig, such as Maul on sale for a predetermined amount of time (which has not been stated yet) - anyone can order during this timeframe, and when the preordering time is over, the amount of figures ordered will become the production run total.

Even if a fig is sold for 24 hours, the potential is there to have a huge amount preordered, but for figures like Maul, I think this is a very good idea. The worst thing to do is to upset fans with characters like this that they cannot order - if you cant get Maul, many fans would probably just say 'screw it' to the Sideshow line.

I love the idea of the inclusive figures.

I saw this Maul pic in the Star Wars Mag today - he looks absolutely stunning.

Ps, great to be back!

Matt

Although they did not specify a time limit...they did say it would likely be days...so I am guessing 48 hours minimum...that should really be enough time for most people to get them. I wonder what the quantity limit will be.

jonthejedi
06-07-2006, 03:57 AM
I'm looking to get a nice, glass display case for my Sideshows. I remember reading a post about an Ikea fixture. Does anyone remember the post or the model #? Thanks in advance!

Darth Instigator
06-07-2006, 06:21 AM
so where do I go to preorder this? And what do they typically cost?

RussUAE
06-07-2006, 06:54 AM

Absolutely I agree - I've bought all but oneof the Sideshow 12" line (still waiting for all but one of them to eb delivered of course too), but if I had missed out on Maul, I would probably have quit the line and cancelled my other orders too. Great Idea Sideshow, I hope it works!

Also good to see SSG back properly! Nice to be coming back to where I started my Star Wars internet fandom after years browsing and posting at the other sites...

AmanaMatt
06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
so where do I go to preorder this? And what do they typically cost?

Go to www.Sideshowtoy.com and register for their newsletter - that is essential to do any priority preordering and probably for this inclusive version.

Figures average $49.99 plus shipping and handling - a few have run $54.99 depending on extras.

mm74md
06-07-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm looking to get a nice, glass display case for my Sideshows. I remember reading a post about an Ikea fixture. Does anyone remember the post or the model #? Thanks in advance!

It's called the DETOLF. I found the old thread for it.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=29109

Darth Cruel
06-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Go to www.Sideshowtoy.com and register for their newsletter - that is essential to do any priority preordering and probably for this inclusive version.

Figures average $49.99 plus shipping and handling - a few have run $54.99 depending on extras.

This isn't a priority pre-order so I don't think you have to subscribe to the newsletter...but I am also of a mind that there is no reason to take chances if you want the figure...sign up! For priority pre-orders you also have to have an account registered with them...so do both!

And I know that we have seen the pictures of Maul and we know about the inclusive order and we know that there will be a new figure announced tomorrow. But do we know for sure right now that Maul IS this inclusive order figure?

jonthejedi
06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks, mm74md...you saved me some legwork. Much appreciated!

AmanaMatt
06-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Wow, Sideshow Maul goes on sale starting 6pm next Thurs and will stay like that for a total of four days....awsome. For real popular characters, this will ensure that all fans that want one, can actually get one!

For those that are concerned about the 'exclusivity' the inclusive editions of both Maul and the separate to order probe droid set will apparantly have items unique to just the Sideshow site, just like the exclusive editions.

Personally, being able to order huge characters like Maul is a good thing and will help to fortify this lines future for a long time to come.

I hope Vader is the next Sith announced! That would be a helluva way to end the year!

Turbowars
06-09-2006, 05:23 PM
SSC is really making a name for themselves. What a great idea they came up with. At there will be a few figures we wont worry about getting.:thumbsup:

Sith Lord 0498
06-09-2006, 05:43 PM
SSC is really making a name for themselves. What a great idea they came up with. At there will be a few figures we wont worry about getting.:thumbsup:

Oh I'm sure there will be quite a few Joe Schmoes out there who will slack off, miss the entire ordering period, and then burn a trail through various message boards as they scream their heads off about how they couldn't get their Darth Maul.

As for me, I'm ordering mine first thing on Thursday evening. And unless it really sucks wind, I'll be getting the accessory pack to go with it.

AmanaMatt
06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I will also be ordering mine first day - I will also be ordering the probe droid set - kinda steep in price, assuming the $30 is still accurate, but it will look real nice together.

Blue2th
06-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I will be ordering Maul on the first day also, but instead of having to drive home for lunch, so I don't miss out, I can order Maul and the Probe Droids after work and save some gas. This is a great idea by Sideshow. Can you imagine the clamour for Boba Fett, Vader or a Commander Cody? This will ease things up a little bit for me anyways.

Sith Lord 0498
06-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I will be ordering Maul on the first day also, but instead of having to drive home for lunch, so I don't miss out, I can order Maul and the Probe Droids after work and save some gas. This is a great idea by Sideshow. Can you imagine the clamour for Boba Fett, Vader or a Commander Cody? This will ease things up a little bit for me anyways.

Personally, I would LOVE a ROTS or ROTJ Darth Vader. However, I would want Sideshow to take their precious time on designing and making it. I want it to be as perfect as it can possibly be. If that means not getting it until the end of 2007, then so be it. Vader is the one figure I don't want Sideshow to rush or cut corners on.

Agent23
06-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I really like the SS 12" line. I had Luke, but had to sell him. I may get Darth Maul thou, and backtrack and get the others as well.

I just think they are very well done.

:thumbsup:

Blue2th
06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Personally, I would LOVE a ROTS or ROTJ Darth Vader. However, I would want Sideshow to take their precious time on designing and making it. I want it to be as perfect as it can possibly be. If that means not getting it until the end of 2007, then so be it. Vader is the one figure I don't want Sideshow to rush or cut corners on.
Amen to that! At least they have a little more experience on Vader when they had to go back and perfect the 1/4 scale one, which delayed it's release till it was just right. I have utmost confidence in Sideshow, but like you I hope they take their time and do the 12" Vader perfect.

Reefer Shark
06-09-2006, 09:26 PM
I agree with you guys on this inclusive deal, it sounds great. Too bad Gentle Giant doesn't do stuff like this. At least I know I'll get SS's Anakin at SDCC, but I have my doubts on scoring GG's Shocktrooper bust... and I definitely know it would have to be ebay for the Mara Jade bust :tired:

I'm hoping that Maul is a huge success for SS. That'll probably make or break the future of inclusive editions.:yes:

Darth Cruel
06-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I am going to say again to everyone to take the figures out of the packages when you get them and give them a thorough inspection. I want to remind you all that I am stuck with a Jedi Luke that has partial arm articulation because I was unable to check him out well before the 30 day deadline.

That being said...Darth Maul was my own favorite Sith and I have always thought he was short-changed with his role in the movies. He would have been a much better Character to lead the Separatists than Dooku. I am stoked about the Inclusive Edition idea and I hope it works out.

Turbowars
06-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Have you tried to fix the arms? I know you shouldn't have to, but you should try if you haven't already. If it's glue you can try using boiling water. How about asking SS just for a replacement arm? If not I beat you could find a SS 12" figure on e-bay cheap that's loose or maybe just the body. Hell I think the body they use is kind of crappy and I think there are better ones out there.

Darth Cruel
06-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Have you tried to fix the arms? I know you shouldn't have to, but you should try if you haven't already. If it's glue you can try using boiling water. How about asking SS just for a replacement arm? If not I beat you could find a SS 12" figure on e-bay cheap that's loose or maybe just the body. Hell I think the body they use is kind of crappy and I think there are better ones out there.

I appreciate the advice. But, unfortunately, I have tried all of the above except another figure. I am a little leary about doing that because I am pretty sure I would have to break the arms on both pieces to swap them out. I am still looking for a way to accomplish that. I bought one of the manequinns and am looking for a way to take it apart without ruining it. I don't care if I end up ruining the parts on Luke as they are already ruined. Another issue that I have is skin tone...Luke's is a lot lighter than the manequinn. I will probably not let that stop me from making the fix if I can...but it WILL still bug me (albiet just a little).

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 03:24 PM
But, unfortunately, I have tried all of the above except another figure. I am a little leary about doing that because I am pretty sure I would have to break the arms on both pieces to swap them out. I am still looking for a way to accomplish that. Well, with the Short Male Body, the only thing different is the wrist pegs, and I think they said they'll still work with the hands just be harder to remove, anyway my point is instead of busting the arms, just swap the head and outfit to the new body (assuming they can ever get you a new body).

Darth Cruel
06-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Sideshow has a great 360 of Maul's unpainted head on their production blog.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?cat=26

Hey...someone tell me how I make this link say something like "link" or "Darth Maul's head sculpt" but still work as a link.

Veers
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I am definitely picking this one up.

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey...someone tell me how I make this link say something like "link" or "Darth Maul's head sculpt" but still work as a link.Explained here: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#url

Turbowars
06-14-2006, 06:16 PM
SSC has full pictures of Maul on the production Blog. He looks great, but there's a shot where his head looks too big. I know I Know always have to say something negative, but there's too many positives to list.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 07:46 PM
You mean this photo? http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/2115_press02-001.jpg

Yeah, you're right, it does look too big, and the taper from his shoulders to the base of his head looks too much as well, making him look even smaller, like his neck is too long and his shoulders are those of a child.

I just realized the outfit is wrong, Maul didn't have a collar that high on the inner shirt, in the front it ended below his neck.

Darth Cruel
06-14-2006, 08:54 PM
How can you go wrong?

Edit - One of the picks shows the lightsaber with only one side ignited. I wonder if it has a removeable blade or if there is a fourth lightsaber version included. And can sombody please tell me why, for the love of pete, why anyone who makes the damaged lightsaber ever only includes one of the halves?

Edit again - Man, you guys! Look at the costume...that is incredible!

AmanaMatt
06-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Ok, I am awful at proportions, cause that head looks pretty good.....as a whole, very nice. I do like the neutral expression, but I would have liked just a tad bit of a grimmace!

I am unclear as to what accessories he comes with - I know the damaged saber is the inclusive item and if I had to guess, the bracelet will be the inclusive item with the probe droids (just a guess)

Reefer Shark
06-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Edit - One of the picks shows the lightsaber with only one side ignited. I wonder if it has a removeable blade or if there is a fourth lightsaber version included. And can sombody please tell me why, for the love of pete, why anyone who makes the damaged lightsaber ever only includes one of the halves?
I was wondering the same thing about the saber... Hopefully, the half ignited is a seperate peice and just isn't pictured on the accessories photo.

Ok, I am awful at proportions, cause that head looks pretty good.....as a whole, very nice. I do like the neutral expression, but I would have liked just a tad bit of a grimmace!
I would think they would do a grinning Maul as an exclusive or something. It would seem too easy for SS to pass up. I know most of us here would buy both versions ...I would anyways:stupid: :D

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 12:48 AM
Man, I can't afford it, but I feel compelled to buy him anyway. I'll probably have to pass on those $30 droids, though.

Darth Cruel
06-15-2006, 01:06 AM

I am unclear as to what accessories he comes with - I know the damaged saber is the inclusive item and if I had to guess, the bracelet will be the inclusive item with the probe droids (just a guess)

If the damaged saber was the exclusive item, it would say so on the pic. None of the pics are marked as the exclusive item. I am of the beief that it has not been disclosed yet.

BlueSnags
06-15-2006, 01:07 AM
I'll be buying a Maul tomorrow. I'll even be a sucker and buy the $30 droids. Gotta throw some $ and support Sideshow's way after the latest Gentle Giant debacle this week...

Darth Cruel
06-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Oops! My bad! I just checked again and saw the Inclusive edition stamp on the pic with the damaged lightsaber. I still wish these people would include both halves.

JediTricks
06-15-2006, 02:45 PM
One of the picks shows the lightsaber with only one side ignited. I wonder if it has a removeable blade or if there is a fourth lightsaber version included.I was wondering the same thing, at this point I'm suspecting it's removable, but they haven't done a removable until now. Maybe the length of the hilt allows it this time.

And can sombody please tell me why, for the love of pete, why anyone who makes the damaged lightsaber ever only includes one of the halves?Because the other half went careening into a wall's power conduit where it exploded, so it's in the movie for less than 1 second.

Darth Cruel
06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
JT - I still want the other half.

They opened the ordering at about 5:30 tonight. I had mine ordered by about 5:45. I only found out because I saw a post on Sideshow's site about a guy having ordered his and the time stamp was 5:32. With 4 days to make the order and no limit on the edition size that makes no difference at all, though (THANK YOU, Sideshow!).

Turbowars
06-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Got my set as well, but I'm not sure about the droid 3 pack. The wires kind of bother me. I hope in the end the wires are made with clear plastic rods. For 24 bucks I think it should come with more.

AmanaMatt
06-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Got Maul and the Droids set - anyone else think that the droids set could be the most underappreciated set of the year - it is kinda expensive for what you get, but they look real cool. I can see someone a year later just kicking themselves for not ordering it when they could. It will look real nice next to Maul.

BlueSnags
06-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Ordered a Maul and the Droids set. $94. Ouch...

Reefer Shark
06-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Damn, that's what it comes to huh? Goodbye 94 bucks... :hurt:

BlueSnags
06-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Damn, that's what it comes to huh? Goodbye 94 bucks... :hurt:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 02:54 AM
I got home late, ordered around 10pm PST, the server was pokey at first but nothing like those crazy opening bell preorders. I ended up not getting the Sith Eye Probe Droid set, even though this inclusive version comes with an extra sand base, because they're identical to each other so it couldn't cost that much, and just not that big a deal to me. I think they could have gotten 1 droid and the wrist control collar into the Maul inclusive edition, it's $5 more than other 12"ers (except Anakin) and doesn't have all that many accessories or pieces, Han exclusive was $5 more and had a HUGE extra accessory.

BTW, it's confirmed that Maul will have 3 whole sabers, 1 with no blades, 1 with a single blade, and 1 with both blades; but it looks like his halved saber will be bladeless.

Sith Lord 0498
06-16-2006, 08:47 PM
BTW, it's confirmed that Maul will have 3 whole sabers, 1 with no blades, 1 with a single blade, and 1 with both blades; but it looks like his halved saber will be bladeless.

Check the order page again. The "inclusive accessory"...there's TWO of them: severed unignited AND severed IGNITED. You get every variation...all five of them :thumbsup:

Darth Cruel
06-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Check the order page again. The "inclusive accessory"...there's TWO of them: severed unignited AND severed IGNITED. You get every variation...all five of them :thumbsup:

It's true! It's all true!

Quoted from above referenced order page: "SIDESHOW INCLUSIVE EDITION
The Sideshow Inclusive version of the 12-inch Darth Maul figure includes the damaged lightsaber Maul was forced to use during his fateful duel with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Two versions of the damaged lightsaber are included, one ignited and one unlit."

Link to above referenced order page for those who want to verify:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=21151&type=store

Sideshow regains their place of honor at the top of my "Best Star Wars and LOTR collectible manufacturers" list!

Edit - The nicest thing about this for me is...I can have both halves of the lightsaber post-cleavage!

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Check the order page again. The "inclusive accessory"...there's TWO of them: severed unignited AND severed IGNITED. You get every variation...all five of them :thumbsup:Wow, I totally didn't see that! Was it there yesterday? I wouldn't be surprised if it were and I overlooked it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they added it today. That's very good news.

Edit - The nicest thing about this for me is...I can have both halves of the lightsaber post-cleavage!That's an... interesting turn of phrase. :D I'm afraid it's also not true, the remaining saber half is slightly LESS than half the saber, the missing part took out the center of the hilt (some of the remaining metal, and the big black band), and like Master Replicas before them, SSC is being totally accurate to the cut half-saber design, so no whole saber from a pair of those halves.

Darth Cruel
06-17-2006, 02:55 AM
That's an... interesting turn of phrase. :D I'm afraid it's also not true, the remaining saber half is slightly LESS than half the saber, the missing part took out the center of the hilt (some of the remaining metal, and the big black band), and like Master Replicas before them, SSC is being totally accurate to the cut half-saber design, so no whole saber from a pair of those halves.

Au contraire Jedi Tricks...aire. All that is required is a simple application of imagination.

Darth Cruel
06-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I think I would also have preferred the droid control braclet to be a separate item as opposed to it's being molded onto a hand. Also...it seems kinda useless to put it with the figure...It should have been packaged with the Dark Eye droids.

Edit - Don't get me wrong, though...I still see this figure as the quintessential Darth Maul and I can not wait to sit him on Hasbro's Sith Speeder.

Turbowars
06-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I think I would also have preferred the droid control braclet to be a separate item as opposed to it's being molded onto a hand. Also...it seems kinda useless to put it with the figure...It should have been packaged with the Dark Eye droids.

Edit - Don't get me wrong, though...I still see this figure as the quintessential Darth Maul and I can not wait to sit him on Hasbro's Sith Speeder.Where are you getting the info about the bracelet? SSC says it comes with the droids and can be attached to other 12" figures.

OK I see this now on the maul pre-order----

Gloved left with droid controller bracelet detail

but it still says the bracelet comes with the Droids. So I wonder was the "DETAIL" is all about?

Darth Cruel
06-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Ok here is some strangeness for you. I would have been mad to only have the "molded one" but I like having both and will use it so that the loose one does not get damamged. As long as I have the loose accessory...I am cool with the molded "extra".

Edit - Assuming, that is, that the "detail" is not just a specially molded area on the glove where it will fit.

Jayspawn
06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
I placed my order. I like the idea of the "Inclusive Edition" and the price isnt bad considering what you get. The sculpt/costume/accessories look fantastic!

Not passing this one up.

Blue2th
06-18-2006, 12:59 AM
So I wonder what color his body or torso will be? Black, red, both, or flesh colored? Just a thought, but as I was looking at Galactic Hunter's figure of the day, POTJ Darth Maul Deluxe w/ Sith Attack Droid, I was thinking man that would be cool if Sideshow did those upper body tatoos for their 12" Maul. I suppose that would be too much to ask.

Reefer Shark
06-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I think the body tattoo's is an awesome idea. If Sideshow doesn't do it (which I imagine they probably won't), I'm sure some of the more skilled painters will be doing some customs.

darko666
06-30-2006, 07:53 PM
That being said...Darth Maul was my own favorite Sith and I have always thought he was short-changed with his role in the movies. He would have been a much better Character to lead the Separatists than Dooku.

i agree with you 100%.

i ordered Darth Maul the day he went on sale. thank god my friend reminded of it or i would have probably missed out on this 12". i try to get anything that has to do with Darth Maul as long as i have the money to due so. and this was priced perfectly.

Darth Instigator
06-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Sideshow has a great 360 of Maul's unpainted head on their production blog.

Hey...someone tell me how I make this link say something like "link" or "Darth Maul's head sculpt" but still work as a link.

like this - just add any words here you want (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?cat=26)

Darth Instigator
06-30-2006, 08:06 PM
i agree with you 100%.

i ordered Darth Maul the day he went on sale. thank god my friend reminded of it or i would have probably missed out on this 12". i try to get anything that has to do with Darth Maul as long as i have the money to due so. and this was priced perfectly.
I am with you man, I do too!

Hellboy
06-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Got my order in for the Inclusive Edition Maul and Sith Probe Droids. I think this one looks fantastic, can't wait. :pleased: I'm really hoping Dooku is next in line.

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Got my order in for the Inclusive Edition Maul and Sith Probe Droids. I think this one looks fantastic, can't wait. :pleased: I'm really hoping Dooku is next in line.

When did you put in your order?

Hellboy
07-01-2006, 12:30 PM
When did you put in your order?

Sunday the 18th.

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I'd be fine with waiting longer for Dooku. He is, by far, the best 12" figure that Hasbro produced, so I'd like to see some more that Hasbro didn't do well first.

Darth Instigator
07-01-2006, 01:38 PM
when is this maul supposed to ship? I ordered in the 2-3 day window. I thought it said September, is that correct?

darko666
07-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I am with you man, I do too!

good to see another long islander.

Darth Cruel
07-02-2006, 12:00 AM
when is this maul supposed to ship? I ordered in the 2-3 day window. I thought it said September, is that correct?

Don't count on anything sooner than December...It is supposed to ship in the 4th quarter...and there are enough figures (if they keep going 1 per month) to hold this one up until december.

Edit - On the other hand...he is the first figure to say fourth quarter...so we theoretically COULD get lucky and see him as soon as October or November...theoretically.

Sith Lord 0498
07-02-2006, 08:53 AM
It's supposed to be either November or December.

Darth Instigator
07-02-2006, 11:01 AM
cool cool, thats good, thanks for the info

evenflow
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
So how many of you ordered the Probe Droids as well? Just for the record I ordered them.

Darth Instigator
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I didn't...

Darth Cruel
07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
So how many of you ordered the Probe Droids as well? Just for the record I ordered them.

They must have hit the wharehouse almost two weeks early...cool!

Oops...that reply was meant for the Kit Fisto thread...the intended message for this one was...HELL YES I got the Dark Eyes as well.

JediTricks
07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I did not order the probe droids. Now I'm curious to hear who did. Feel free to start a new thread if you like.

Darth Cruel
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I did not order the probe droids. Now I'm curious to hear who did. Feel free to start a new thread if you like.

I would like to see that as well.

Turbowars
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I ordered them. I hope I don't regret it. For the cost they don't look that great, though I guess you really can't do all that much with them anyways. I do however think the rods holding them should be clear plastic and not black metal.

Darth Cruel
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't like the stands at all and I hope to use something other than the supplied one. Maybe some fishing line and suspend them from the ceiling or some such nonsense.

Turbowars
07-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe we will be able to put the droids behind Maul in such a way that the rods will be hidden.

JediTricks
07-05-2006, 05:40 PM
They should have made a hidden harness clip so Maul could actually wear them behind his back... or maybe that's stupid. :p

Turbowars
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
No that sounds cool. I like that idea.

Jayspawn
07-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I passed on the Probe Droids -didnt look near worth an extra $25.

The Inclusive Maul is enough for me :pleased:

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 03:31 PM
No that sounds cool. I like that idea. Thanks! :) That's a more positive response than I was expecting, I figured it'd get kicked in the face a few times. It seems to me like they could have done something like that which could also double as a stand-alone stand, but they went the lazy way.

Darth Cruel
07-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks! :) That's a more positive response than I was expecting, I figured it'd get kicked in the face a few times. It seems to me like they could have done something like that which could also double as a stand-alone stand, but they went the lazy way.

Can we have a kick in the face emoticon? I agree with you on most things, JT...but I can't get behind this one. {\kick in the face emoticon here/}

Hellboy
07-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I ordered the Sith Probe Droids and plan on painting the rods holding the Droids white. Since I'll be displaying Maul and the Droids in a glass cabinet with a white backdrop I'm thinking the rods will blend in nicely with the background and help make the Droids appear as if they're floating.

As far as value goes I think its worth it especially considering you get the extra desert sand environmental display stand. I'm thinking I'll use it with Qui-Gon when he arrives.

Sith Lord 0498
07-06-2006, 08:15 PM
I ordered the Sith Probe Droids and plan on painting the rods holding the Droids white. Since I'll be displaying Maul and the Droids in a glass cabinet with a white backdrop I'm thinking the rods will blend in nicely with the background and help make the Droids appear as if they're floating.

As far as value goes I think its worth it especially considering you get the extra desert sand environmental display stand. I'm thinking I'll use it with Qui-Gon when he arrives.

That seems to be a popular idea around the Net. Had I decided to order them, that would be the first thing on my list of things to fix.

El Chuxter
07-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I ordered it. I figure I can change my mind and cancel in the next several months, but I couldn't change my mind and order it if I initially passed.

Reefer Shark
07-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Yep, I ordered 'em. I always wanted the probe droids to display with my Hasbro Maul on Speeder. When the Sideshow version hits, I plan on retiring the Hasbro one, and putting the Sideshow on the Speeder (with the droids behind it).

Blue2th
07-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Yep, I ordered 'em. I always wanted the probe droids to display with my Hasbro Maul on Speeder. When the Sideshow version hits, I plan on retiring the Hasbro one, and putting the Sideshow on the Speeder (with the droids behind it).
That's a good idea I know I've got at least one of those grimacing Mauls on Speeder Bike somewhere with a crushed window. Good thing I got one. Wonder how expensive or hard to find they will be once the Sideshow Maul comes out?

Hellboy
07-06-2006, 10:14 PM

That should look great Reefer. The vehicles and beasts are probably the one bright spot in Hasbro's 12" line that I can point to. I have 3 Speeder Bikes and 2 Tauntauns that I'd love to combine with some quality Sideshow 12" figures someday. I wish I had the Sith Speeder and the Kaadu as well but unfortunately I passed on both when they were available at retail.

Reefer Shark
07-06-2006, 10:23 PM
If you want it bad enough, I think Maul's speeder goes fairly cheap on ebay (it's a really great piece), probably the Kaadu too. I actually bought a Kaadu set a few months ago at Frank-n-scalpers for $25.

As far as the ROTJ speeders go, those are fantastic! I put the Endor gear on my Sideshow Luke, and had him displayed on the speeder for a while - it looked really awesome! :thumbsup:

The Taun-Tauns were cool, but I hate the fact that they don't stand well on their own (at least my Han didn't - I never got the Luke set). The only 12" scale beast/Vehicle I didn't like was that god-awful Dewback... bleh!

Hellboy
07-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Yeah you're right the Dewback was a stinker and IMO Luke's Tauntaun was definitely superior to Han's.

I'll have to look into that Sith Speeder because I really would like one but I'll probably wait to see if Sideshow produces a Gungan before I start the hunt for a Kaadu. :)

El Chuxter
07-08-2006, 12:33 AM
The Dewback was pretty nice, once he went on clearance. :) I love Dewbacks, but that thing is a pretty mediocre figure.

I would recommend getting the Tarpals/Kaadu set, though. That's one of the better pieces Hasbro produced.

JediTricks
07-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I'd recommend the Tarpals/Kaadu set and the Maul/Sith Speeder set, both are good vehicle-beast work and make good-looking boxed sets. The Tarpals figure in that Kaadu set looks really good (Hasbro also got Jar Jar right as a 12" though so it's not as much a surprise). I don't think much of the Dewback set though, that thing looked downright bad IMO.

Blue2th
07-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I doubt Sideshow will ever make these beasts and vehicles. But who knows? It's a good start with the Probe Droids. That Captain Tarpals and Kaadu is quite nice. Think SS will ever make a Capn' Tarpals? I doubt it. I bought two of the Dewback, gave one to my 2 year old grand-nephew. It's his favorite toy. He even sleeps with it, being a huge dinosaur and a spaceman.

Darth Cruel
09-22-2006, 04:37 PM
The way I figure it...after Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul should be next. I hope they ship him in October. There are only two figures slated for the 4th quarter of 2006 so there will be a month skipped if they get on one-a-month releases. I am hoping for December being the off month because of Christmas.

And speaking of Darth Maul...because he is my favorite of all Star Wars characters, his Sideshow release will be extra special for me. The definitive figure of my favorite character. He will be where I am at all times. I am thinking about getting a protective case like a pelican case and a display case just for him so that I CAN keep him with me as much as possible.

I am stoked for a lot of figures that Sideshow is or will be doing, but Maul will be the Crown Jewel of my Sideshow collection. In fact, the one I intend to keep with me is an extra that I am buying just for that reason.

Here is hoping for an October release for him.

Darth Instigator
09-22-2006, 09:42 PM
+1 me too...lets see your maul collection

Darth Cruel
09-24-2006, 11:40 AM
My Maul collection is very limited. Even though he is my favorite character...I only buy the 3 3/4" and 12" action figures so it is limited to those.

Reefer Shark
09-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Man, you should try and save up for the GG maul statue. I swear, that thing looks exactly like Ray park. It's definitely the best Maul I own!

maatu
09-24-2006, 03:45 PM
that is really freaky about darth maul. you want to keep him with you at all times. do you plan to give him a bath and take him out to lunch.you too getting married?

maatu
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
The way I figure it...after Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul should be next. I hope they ship him in October. There are only two figures slated for the 4th quarter of 2006 so there will be a month skipped if they get on one-a-month releases. I am hoping for December being the off month because of Christmas.

And speaking of Darth Maul...because he is my favorite of all Star Wars characters, his Sideshow release will be extra special for me. The definitive figure of my favorite character. He will be where I am at all times. I am thinking about getting a protective case like a pelican case and a display case just for him so that I CAN keep him with me as much as possible.

I am stoked for a lot of figures that Sideshow is or will be doing, but Maul will be the Crown Jewel of my Sideshow collection. In fact, the one I intend to keep with me is an extra that I am buying just for that reason.

Here is hoping for an October release for him.weird? i wrote more about this. i love collecting and i like leia and take her everywhere..

Darth Cruel
09-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Maatu - The point you are trying to make on your last two posts is lost on me. Please elaborate.

Turbowars
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Maatu - The point you are trying to make on your last two posts is lost on me. Please elaborate.
Please don't, you both are out of your minds. :yes:

Darth Instigator
09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
My Maul collection is very limited. Even though he is my favorite character...I only buy the 3 3/4" and 12" action figures so it is limited to those.ok well there are still a bunch of 12" ones, I will post mine up soon. The Gentle Giant Maul is definitely the best of all though. I am working on getting the international one now too

dr_evazan22
09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
The GG statue is in a 12" standard also, another reason to get it.

Darth Cruel
10-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Along with a lot of other stuff...Darth Maul has been moved back to a January release. This news sucks...but if the figure ships in perfect condition because of it...it will be worth the wait.

Turbowars
10-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Was that in the news letter? I wonder if Jabba will be pushed back as well?

Darth Cruel
10-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Was that in the news letter? I wonder if Jabba will be pushed back as well?

Yes, that was in the newsletter. And they said Salacious Crumb and the creature assoertment, Bib Fortuna, and the Sith Eye Probe Droids pack as well, but they did not mention Jabba.

Darth Instigator
10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
awww man this really sucks

JediTricks
10-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Dang, that sucks, I don't want to get charged for Leia and Maul too close together, and waiting is never good. Plus, and I don't mean this to sound bad, but how hard is Maul really? They have his likeness down pat in the 1:1 bust, the body is just a regular short body, the robes aren't all that complicated and his tech is fairly simple and minor compared to most of the others.

Darth Cruel
11-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Dang, that sucks, I don't want to get charged for Leia and Maul too close together, and waiting is never good. Plus, and I don't mean this to sound bad, but how hard is Maul really? They have his likeness down pat in the 1:1 bust, the body is just a regular short body, the robes aren't all that complicated and his tech is fairly simple and minor compared to most of the others.

I can do nothing but agree with you JT. My own anticipation of that figure is maddening. But at least the lull in the releases will allow me to catch up on doing some reviews of the other ones that everyone has already had for a month or more and don't really even need reviews any more. But I want to do them anyway because they are fun.

And it appears that these figures will be released about the same time I get my tax return, so it shouldn't hit me too hard in the wallet.

Darth Cruel
11-15-2006, 09:07 PM
These pics say it all. If the figure is half as good as these pics, Darth Maul will be the figure that all of the other figures revolve around in the Sideshow line.

Reefer Shark
11-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Yep, I was really happy to see he's gonna be the next one out (I've totally lost track on SSC's schedule at this point). Can't wait to get mine, hopefully the sith droids will ship at the same time!

Darth Cruel
11-16-2006, 10:22 AM
I am going to have to get a generalized schedule together. I am glad they said that Maul will be the next figure as that gives me an idea of what to expect and when. He is the next figure in order of the priority pre-orders as well. And one of the recent newsletters said he would be delayed until 1st quarter of next year so that tells me that he has not been moved behind any other figures like Obi-Wan was and that NOTHING is coming out until 1st quarter '07. I am OK with that...in fact...I hope he comes out in February for a few reasons:

1) They can take their time and get him done in the highest of quality that we expect for what we pay (and being my favorite character, I have waited this long for perfection, a few more months won't kill me as long as I get what I want in the figure).

And 2) I will have a rather large tax return and will be able to pay for ALL of the figures that are sure to hit all at the same time like it happened a few months ago. Even if it ALL of them that were moved back AND all of them that were originall due 1st quarter '07.

And that inspires a warning thread.

Darth Cruel
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
What a surprise! I just got a 22-25 day warning for Maul to arrive in the wherehouse! And Sideshow said January even when I called them about it 4 days ago! This news Rocks!

JediTricks
11-21-2006, 06:22 PM
I got the email as well, was going to write a news article about it but saw yours so just made a few changes to it and put it online.

Darth Instigator
11-21-2006, 07:50 PM
me too today, good times coming

plasticfetish
11-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Ditto... got mine this afternoon. :)

Luuuuuuke
11-22-2006, 09:53 AM
I got the email. Still, that probably means we'll get it around January, or just before. So it doesn't seem like a dramatic improvement in the release date, at least to me. But at least we know we won't have to wait until February:D

JediTricks
11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I did the count-up to it, should be the week of Dec 11th if their date holds fast.

BlueSnags
11-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Never received a notification from Sideshow regarding Maul shipping soon. Maybe they're ****ed at me for cancelling the Jabba/Throne set.

Darth Cruel
12-04-2006, 03:40 PM
I just got a 9-11 day notice from Sideshow. It said they would be pre-authorizing payments within 24 hours.

I am guessing that meams just for those who got the email.

Jayspawn
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Got notice too! He's gonna be a great Christmas present to myself!

Darth Cruel
12-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Got notice too! He's gonna be a great Christmas present to myself!

You got that right.

There is one down side to getting Darth Maul, though. Because I consider this 12" Darth MAul figure to pretty much be the apex of the line (for me), I know that I can never look forward to a higher level of excitement for one of the Sideshow pieces again. It will come close with Chewbacca...it will likely even equal it, but then, after Chewy, there will never again be this much excitement. Not even for Boba Fett.

On the other hand...there will still be PLENTY of excitement over any new ones coming out.

JediTricks
12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
I got the email too, put it in the news. But it begged the question: does anybody at Sideshow own a calendar?!? Nearly 2 week-early pre-auth that comes an extra week early????

Darth Cruel
12-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I got the delivery tracking email today. Darth Maul (Inclusive) is due to arrive to me on Monday! YES!

JediTricks
12-08-2006, 07:31 PM
No email for me yet, but my account status for it is now "Item(s) Shipping Soon".

BlueSnags
12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Maul just showed up here at Blue Snag HQ a few hours ago. He looks pretty damn cool. Looks like Sideshow is packing the 12" figures differently as well - there is styrofoam in the shipping box that keeps the packaging from getting damaged.

Darth Cruel
12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Maul just showed up here at Blue Snag HQ a few hours ago. He looks pretty damn cool. Looks like Sideshow is packing the 12" figures differently as well - there is styrofoam in the shipping box that keeps the packaging from getting damaged.

Inclusive or regular edition?

BlueSnags
12-08-2006, 09:12 PM
This was the inclusive edition.

Jayspawn
12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
I've been charged for Maul so I should be getting mine soon.

Dark Marble
12-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Look like I will be getting mine sometime between today and Wednesday. I am impressed with the way sideshow keeps the updates coming so I know what is going on.

Darth Cruel
12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
I got the tracking email today that showed that mine is on the delivery truck as of 7:01 this morning. So I should be getting it for sure today! I will know by this evening if it is as cool as I am anticipating!

Darth Cruel
12-11-2006, 06:24 PM
And so it has come to pass. I am the proud owner and I am in possesion of my Sideshow 12" Inclusive version Darth Maul. I wish I had not left my digital camera at work.

I must start off by sending kudos to Sideshow for the new mailing packaging. Gone are the bubble wrap bags and skin tight, paint on mailing boxes. Now there is a regular plastic bag over the production box and a styrofoam end cap on each end to hold it securely in a mailer box that is oversized by about 3/4 of an inch. Lots of room in there to protect the production box from delivery damage.

Please pardon me while I open and play with Darth Maul (and make a thorough quality check).

Edit - 1st big negative...crooked lightsabers...horribly crooked. The one with both blades ignited actually has a crooked end which is quite bad. It leaves a solid 20 degree angle which starts just above the the belt clip disc. So that should give a good idea of how bad the bend is. The one with only one blade ignited is about half that bad...but still too noticeable to be displayed effectively. The one with niether blade ignited has a 5 degree or so bend that starts pretty much in the middle of the hilt. All three will be returned for straighter ones. The two damaged lightsabers are both good enough.

Good points...everything else. The collar of his under-shirt does not rest as high as it did on the prototype. It looks good, even if it is just slightly larger than in the movie...I have no doubt that all of those who find that detail important (like me) will be satisfied.

His outer tunic is fabricated with all of the tails semn right on to it. In fact...they go up to make the collar. I like it. I wouldn't if they were sewn crooked because they would not be straightenable. But they are sewn well and straight and so I am happy.

Paint is impeccable. I can't wait to actually get some photos and do a review on this figure. Goan be good (after I get new lightsabers)!

wampaslayr
12-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your sabers, DC. I received my Maul yesterday and my sabers were perfect. I like the new packaging, but it is not perfect. My box had some damage around the edges because it looks like they forced the styrofoam caps on the top and bottom of the box. It's minor, but noticeable. Other than that, this figure is top notch in my opinion.

Darth Cruel
12-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your sabers, DC. I received my Maul yesterday and my sabers were perfect. I like the new packaging, but it is not perfect. My box had some damage around the edges because it looks like they forced the styrofoam caps on the top and bottom of the box. It's minor, but noticeable. Other than that, this figure is top notch in my opinion.

Hey! Thanks! I really appreciate that! For you to just voluntarily up and offer to trade your perfect lightsabers for my deformed and crooked ones is quite a testament to your character! There are few people in the world that would do that and I accept. I'll get these in the mail right away. Send the good ones whenever it is convenient for you!

Seriously, though. I have emailed Sideshow about the issue and I expect that they will correct it as they have done in the past. I had a Han Solo with a blaster that had part of the pistol grip missing and they said they would exchange it, but I never got around to sending in the bad one. Then I had a Qui-Gon with crooked lightsabers and they told me they would just send me better ones without an exchange. They did, but they accidentally sent Mace Windu's Lightsabers instead. So now I have one extra of each of the two Mace Windu lightsabers with the ignited blades.

Darth Instigator
12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
mine is on its way! woot!

AmanaMatt
12-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Love my new Sideshow Maul inclusive version....all of the sabers were fine, so I'd call SS on that.....if anyone says that extra $5 doesn't show, I'll smack ya!

:)

Turbowars
12-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Got Maul last Friday and I have to say this is the best SSC Star wars figure to date!

Luuuuuuke
12-13-2006, 11:45 PM
I got Maul on Tuesday. Awesome figure. I even like the way the cloak drapes over him. This has to be the best figure so far, though I really liked Obi Wan. The box was in perfect condition, which to me is frankly just a bonus as I don't really care too much about that.

Question: Does the package say "Inclusive" edition anywhere? I ask because I want to make sure I didn't get the regular version. From what I can tell the only difference between the regular and Inclusive Maul is that the Inclusive one includes a damaged unlit saber and a damaged lit saber. The problem is the "damage" on the sabers I see--assuming it is "damage"--is very subtle. It doesn't look like in the pictures, all charred and stuff.

wampaslayr
12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
The SSC Maul will have a silver sticker on the box that states "Inclusive Edition."

Luuuuuuke
12-14-2006, 09:46 PM
The SSC Maul will have a silver sticker on the box that states "Inclusive Edition."

Thanks. I only noticed the sticker after reading your post.

Any idea how many of the Inclusive version were produced? I was thrown off by the numbers put out on the Sideshow website. I couldn't tell if that was for the Inclusive or regular edition.

jonthejedi
12-15-2006, 03:30 AM
Mine is showing up today(Inclusive version).

Darth Cruel
12-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Thanks. I only noticed the sticker after reading your post.

Any idea how many of the Inclusive version were produced? I was thrown off by the numbers put out on the Sideshow website. I couldn't tell if that was for the Inclusive or regular edition.

I don't know why, but Sideshow never divulges the Inclusive number. They will tell us Exclusive and regular edition numbers. But not Inclusive.

Imagine how many there were, though, considering that there are 9,000 Regular and there were 4 days to order the Inclusive.

I got an email back from Sideshow offering an exchange for my crooked lightsabers. I am a happy man.

Dark Marble
12-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I got my Maul re-delivered yesterday and have not had a chance to really take a good look. But the package came in great condition and everything at first glance looks sound. I am impressed so far!!

JediTricks
12-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I picked up Maul yesterday and opened him up this morning. I have to say that I am not entirely impressed with this entry.

The head sculpt is very good, but the eyes are sculpted and painted in a way that makes him look like he's just a tiny bit drowsy, that's not so good. The paint on the head is mainly good but the red paint filled the gap between his lips about 2/3rds across, looks sorta sloppy.

The material used for the outfit doesn't flow as nicely as I'd hoped, this is only really a problem in 2 areas but they're major ones - the upper arms where the outfit really poofs out, and the hood of the cloak which is double-layered and won't sit down, even the wire inside isn't entirely strong enough to hold it down in the front. The cloak has other problems, I can't get the latch to stay closed on it very well because the material doesn't agree with the way it's holding itself down, and the whole thing is see-through which sucks if you display the figure anywhere that isn't dark.

The lightsabers look good from afar but up close the hilts are not as well-done as any of the accessories from the other SW figures, the details aren't as crisp, the blade emitters are too big and fat, and the paint is a bit sloppy. The only bladed saber giving me any trouble is the big one, both blades are bent slightly but in concert it is more obvious and it won't let the saber lie in the tray correctly.

Finally, there's the QC gaffe, sadly becoming a prerequisite for the line. This time it's the belt yet again, making for 3 out of 6 belts I've gotten that are defective. Maul's belt has multiple problems in fact, the first being the saber belt clip, once again glued on at a funny angle. Then there's several spots of glue which failed before I even took him out of the packaging, and since there's a lot of glued elements it means stuff is not holding up well. Finally, the cloth panel hanging down has not only come unglued on one side, but it was mounted off-center. The belt is absolutely going back, I'm just not sure whether I should send the whole figure back over the mouth painted in as well - any thoughts here would be appreciated.

In conclusion, my initial feelings are ones of mild disappointment, he's a good-looking figure with great range of motion, but there are some built-in issues and QC issues which really take away from the experience. If I were grading him, I'd probably give it a B- which is not so good for this line.

Turbowars
12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Do me a favor and post this at Sideshow Freaks. Those cheerleaders will go crazy and threaten your family. :whip:

JediTricks
12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I've heard they're a bit rabid, which is why I hadn't intended to. ;) You can pass it along for me though. :p I don't get that mindset, protect something at all costs while ignoring any and all shortcomings, it can only mean one thing... invasion!

Darth Cruel
12-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Do me a favor and post this at Sideshow Freaks. Those cheerleaders will go crazy and threaten your family. :whip:

Link us.

I have a major issue with Darth Maul as well. But mine is easily rectified. I bought the Inclusive version and 2 of the regular version. Of the three, I came up with "0" perfectly straight lightsabers. I got one of each of the double lightsabers (1 non-ignited, 1 single-ignited, and 1 double-ignited) that are too minor to justify sending back. One of those that is getting sent back broke just off-center from right in half.

I have had many issues with crooked lightsabers. What the heck is the deal? Am I the only one or does anyone else have this problem at all if not a lot?

On the other hand I was able to get the hood to lay nicely. It looks great. I love the figure and it is still my favorite and I am still just as happy as I can be with it and will be even happier when I get the straight lightsabers. But for now DM looks great in his cloak working his droid control bracelet and holding his electrobinoculars in his left hand.

I still love this figure!

Turbowars
12-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Here you go http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/

I think you might be able to fix those sabers. I know you shouldn't have to, but hell you might want to give it a try. I think you can boil and pop the saber out of the hilt. I haven't tied it, but from what I gather the unlit hilts are the same hilts as the lit ones, but the saber was just glued into place.

Darth Cruel
12-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks Turbowars! I am going to check that out. In the meantime, I have been messing with my Darth Mauls and after opening the other 2, I found more lightsabers that are crooked. I had one snap in half just from removing it from the tray. I am tempted to try the fix you mentioned, but it is not the blades that are crooked...it is the hilt itself. And I don't want to jeapardize my chances of getting replacements. I am debating with myself on how anal I want to be for determining which 'sabers need to go back. I don't want to come off as rediculous...but the truth is...anything less than perfectly straight is not OK with me.

Just the same, I am pleased with the rest of the figure...VERY pleased!

Here is a shot. JT - this pic might help you get your hood to lay down a little better. I find that like this is nearly prefect for me.

Jayspawn
12-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I recieved my 12" Darth Maul. Didnt get to look at him yet as I wraped him up right away as present to myself for Christmas. So I'll find out on Christmas morning!

AmanaMatt
12-17-2006, 05:01 PM

There are some hardcore fan boys there, for sure....its a great forum overall, though.

Jt, sorry to hear about some of your QC issues....the only one I really shared with you was the clip for the flap on the robe...as a whole, I do feel he is a fantastic piece...

Veers
12-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I just received an email that my Darth Maul has shipped. Cant wait to get receive it.

AmanaMatt
12-17-2006, 10:25 PM
I just received an email that my Darth Maul has shipped. Cant wait to get receive it.

Enjoy! I love mine. The fabric is a bit of a pain to tinker with...not that there is an issue with it - just that there is so much of it....the evil dude has a lot of clothes. :ninja:

I finally have my Maul in a real cool pose that I will probably with just leave it like that for a long time.

maatu
12-18-2006, 01:46 PM
I am tired of sideshow . I received my darth maul today and i really have not had any real problems with them until today. i got the figure out and was trying to attach the saber to his belt.the belt broke.there inspection of qualty has gone down the drain .i am really mad i just want to send the stuff back.

plasticfetish
12-18-2006, 02:06 PM
I ended up canceling my Maul order. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided that I'm not willing to buy this stuff sight unseen anymore. There are plenty of shops around me that are putting them out anyway -- sure, not the "inclusive/exclusive" versions, but it isn't worth the gamble just to get a gold sticker on my box.

JediTricks
12-18-2006, 02:24 PM
DC, did you wet yours down to get it to do that? Mine absolutely refuses, the front initially will comply but the rest is so stiff and poofed up that it overpowers the wire inside.

I've decided to contact them tomorrow and ask for a total replacement. There's just too much about this one I'm displeased with, so I'll roll the dice on getting another one.

One of the things that convinced me was the paint on the lips thing I mentioned before, when I looked at their photos more carefully, he's not supposed to have ANY paint on his upper lip, this is so sloppy it's embarassing.

I'm also a little tired of the warped saber blades in general, they use such a thin blade - far thinner than the movie versions, closer to the thickness of the dowels used for the pre-fx shots - and such a ridiculously thin peg that the design basically calls to be warped or broken. I spend more time worrying I'll break the saber than I do enjoying it, couple this with the other little issues and I'm starting to feel burned out at this price.

Darth Cruel
12-18-2006, 02:41 PM
DC, did you wet yours down to get it to do that? Mine absolutely refuses, the front initially will comply but the rest is so stiff and poofed up that it overpowers the wire inside.

I've decided to contact them tomorrow and ask for a total replacement. There's just too much about this one I'm displeased with, so I'll roll the dice on getting another one.

One of the things that convinced me was the paint on the lips thing I mentioned before, when I looked at their photos more carefully, he's not supposed to have ANY paint on his upper lip, this is so sloppy it's embarassing.

I'm also a little tired of the warped saber blades in general, they use such a thin blade - far thinner than the movie versions, closer to the thickness of the dowels used for the pre-fx shots - and such a ridiculously thin peg that the design basically calls to be warped or broken. I spend more time worrying I'll break the saber than I do enjoying it, couple this with the other little issues and I'm starting to feel burned out at this price.

No wetting, JT. I don't know if it is just that I got a lucky piece that allows for it to lay down better or something but I had a little trouble at first. The way it is, the wire goes back over his shoulders a little then doubles back on itself. I also don't know if that is helping.

I have some minor issues with the belt as well. The front flap of cloth came unglued and one end of the back did as well. But I can re-glue the cloth piece easy enough and I actually prefer the belt to be two pieces anyway so I will leave it be. I wish I could just walk away like PF, but I am too far gone into these things. I'll take them and repair what I can and send the things I can't in for replacement. I get mad at the things that fall apart, but then I think about how detailed the figures are and I grudgingly accept the problems. I wouldn't want to go back to Hasbro-esque 12" figures.

At the very least...if the line ever did cave...I have Darth Maul and that is the #1 most important figure to me.

jonthejedi
12-19-2006, 05:04 AM
I have shared many of your complaints on my 12" Maul as well...and why is the box 1" taller than all the others? Looks plain weird on the shelf with the other eight. Sideshow is starting to get like McFarlane Toys was...great to look at unopened, but heaven help you if you take it out to pose or fiddle with it. I almost wish now I'd left it mint in the box!

Luuuuuuke
12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Man, I guess I have low standards cause I'm perfectly happy with Maul. Even the size of the box doesn't bother me. I think the box is taller because the dual lighted light saber is extremely long. It barely fits diagonally.

As for keeping it mint, I just think that just gets to the point of silliness. Why even buy this if you're just going to leave it in the box?

But if you're not happy with it, return it, or sell it. I'm sure people can at least get their money back, one way or another. Being a completist is a choice, it's not a mandate.

If there are imperfections or flaws or bent sabers, the little I know about Sideshow tells me they're good about making good on those things. Or am I wrong? I have not seen anything I've been unhappy about. The robes on these figures can always flow better, but SW collectors are ingenius and they always have good suggestions for improving on things like this. So I don't sweat stuff like that.

jonthejedi
12-22-2006, 04:53 AM
Their quality control has slipped of late...my Comic Con excusive Anakin/Vader came looking like it had been opened...and the lightsaber was completely missing from the tray.

Darth Instigator
12-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Man, I guess I have low standards cause I'm perfectly happy with Maul. Even the size of the box doesn't bother me. I think the box is taller because the dual lighted light saber is extremely long. It barely fits diagonally.

As for keeping it mint, I just think that just gets to the point of silliness. Why even buy this if you're just going to leave it in the box?

But if you're not happy with it, return it, or sell it. I'm sure people can at least get their money back, one way or another. Being a completist is a choice, it's not a mandate.

If there are imperfections or flaws or bent sabers, the little I know about Sideshow tells me they're good about making good on those things. Or am I wrong? I have not seen anything I've been unhappy about. The robes on these figures can always flow better, but SW collectors are ingenius and they always have good suggestions for improving on things like this. So I don't sweat stuff like that.

I absolutely completely agree, I am not a perfectionist but compared to my Hasbro 12-inch I think this is very nice and looks wonderful. I also display it on my Maul shelf and next to my GG Maul. I like it and don't have any problems with it.

nash
12-22-2006, 07:26 AM
here's a few quick shots of mine. My belt was also jacked up a bit, and he has a scratch on the side of his head, so I took some quick pics and sent him back for a replacement.

I never understand why people insist on comparing these sideshow figures to Hasbro. Do they forget that Hasbro cost $20 and these sideshow figures cost 3 times that amount? For the $70+ we pay for these sideshow figures, some of them are really lacking in quality control. just my 2 cents.

Jayspawn
12-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Great pictures nash! Cant wait to open (see actually) mine on Christmas Day!

Luuuuuuke
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
If you're not happy with the figure you should definitely let Sideshow know and get a replacement or a refund. No question about it. My Maul has a paint issue near the back of the head, but in my case, it just doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

And I agree you can't compare it to the Hasbro 12" figures. I never collected those, but they were budget figures in a way. I like this figure, though I like him more with the hooded robe than without it.

Jayspawn
12-24-2006, 09:11 AM
My Darth Maul is under the Christmas tree!

(he's all wrapped up and I cant look at him but the excitment is great!)

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
I sent in my request for a replacement Maul finally, been sick the past week and haven't felt up to it. I complained about the mouth being painted in halfway and the belt having multiple problems, so the whole thing is going to have to go back now.

Bosskman
12-30-2006, 07:29 AM
I got my Maul hand he is perfect. Looks awesome next to Qui-Gon. I was worried about all the bent sabre woes, but my sabres are fine.

masterjedi
01-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Not sure if anyone else has seen the latest Star Wars Insider, but there is a picture of the Sideshow 12" Darth Maul. It looks friggin' awesome. I saw the magazine yesterday at Suncoast. If anyone else has received their Insider, please scan & post the pic. It also had pictures of the various Sideshow vinyl figs.

Cool! Darth looks great!

jonthejedi
01-11-2007, 03:40 AM
Just an F.Y.I...12" Sideshow Darth Maul is in stock at ShopStarWars.com in case anybody missed out. They will go fast!

Darth Cruel
01-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Darth Maul Inclusive edition (with the battle damaged lightsabers) is up for a second chance at Sideshow Collectibles! But they only have 75 of them. Get 'em while they're hot!

Darth Cruel
01-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I have to give Sideshow credit for trying. But the replacement double-ignited lightsabers they sent me to replace the crooked ones I sent in for return are even more crooked than the ones I sent in. Here is the thing. The hilts on the ones I sent in were crooked. And the blades on the replacements are crooked. They are curved, in fact. And seeing as how there are hilts with no blades included with the figure, I wish I had removed the blades and sent the hilts in as if they were the non-ignited hilts in the first place. Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?

But now here I am with crooked lightsaber blades still.

Am I the only person this happens to, or just the only one who cares?

Darth Cruel
01-20-2007, 09:25 AM
I only have a minute but wanted to post this. After recieving my replacement sabers and finding 2 of them to have curved blades (which is better than crooked hilts as I think I can straighten the blades), I find that the one straight one will not fit in the tray that was designed for it because the lightsaber is about 1/8 of an inch too long.

JediTricks
01-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Yow, that sounds pretty bad! I am not entirely thrilled with the way most of the lightsaber blades come out on mine, but I haven't had anything that extreme.

Darth Cruel
01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I have had to settle for letting the blades bend in the packages. I can heat them with a heat gun and straighten them when I need to. Sucks but it is better than nothing.

I know that this is completely against everything I believe in...but I was very curious to see what Maul would look like in the Hasbro robe. And here he is.

JediTricks
01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
It's hard to tell, the picture isn't very clear, but it actually looks pretty good on him. Is that true in person? I'd try this but my figure is on its way back to Sideshow.

Darth Cruel
01-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes it does look pretty good in person as well. My camera is great, but it takes blurry shots if the light is not great. I will get a better one up tomorrow when I have better ambient light. I need to get a studio set up.

But I definitely see pros for each of the robes. The hasbro one lays pretty nice with no wires. It is heavier and not see-through. The long sections of the sleeves are a nylon-type material that helps them to lay well.

One down-side is that the cowel is not as big and even though this one looks very nice, I really like the size of the Sideshow one.

I actually have a hard time finding much more fault with it than that.

I also noticed that the size of the lightsabers is not too different. Hasbro's is not much bigger at all. Maybe 5% longer and 20% thicker. I will get a comparison shot of those up tomorrow as well.

JediTricks
01-23-2007, 05:26 AM
With a figure and outfit that dark, the key is to bathe it in as much direct light as you can find, and to keep your camera as still as possible - if it has an auto-timer feature, I suggest you use it instead of hitting the shutter button as even that motion can move the camera enough to wonk something this dark. Alternately, if it's bright out, just take the figure to the sidewalk, put him in the full sun and that'll do the trick smartly - the sun is the best light because it's omnidirectional, extremely powerful, and free. :p

With the cowl being shorter, does it not pull over his face now?

Darth Cruel
01-23-2007, 12:11 PM
With a figure and outfit that dark, the key is to bathe it in as much direct light as you can find, and to keep your camera as still as possible - if it has an auto-timer feature, I suggest you use it instead of hitting the shutter button as even that motion can move the camera enough to wonk something this dark. Alternately, if it's bright out, just take the figure to the sidewalk, put him in the full sun and that'll do the trick smartly - the sun is the best light because it's omnidirectional, extremely powerful, and free. :p

With the cowl being shorter, does it not pull over his face now?

I took your advice on taking him outside. I can usually take great shots at my kitchen table, but I had to run some Star Wars figure hunting errands this morning and got back after the sun rose too far. But the shots still are a little fuzzy...just not as bad as the first one and I think the serve the purpose.

The cowl is still plenty big enough to come well out in front of the face.

plasticfetish
01-23-2007, 02:43 PM
That's works pretty well. We get the picture. (Har har.)

But the shots still are a little fuzzy...just not as bad as the first one and I think the serve the purpose.Does your camera have a macro setting?

Darth Cruel
01-23-2007, 05:11 PM
That's works pretty well. We get the picture. (Har har.)
Does your camera have a macro setting?

Yeah, and it was on. I just rushed the shot too much. It is off-topic, but to show you what it (and I) can do, here is one of the new stormtrooper blasters that I did.

The original shot is about 2 megs and crystal clear.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Nice shots, I can see a lot more of it even though there is the clarity issue you mentioned. I had not remembered Hasbro's sleeves looking like that. It does look pretty sharp though, I'll try it out when I get my replacement. That looks like the cloak is too big though, is that the case? Hasbro was doing the barrel-chested thing back then, so it wouldn't surprise me.

BTW, if you ever take shots in the direct sun again, you'll probably find laying the subject down works better than standing it up, less shadows (that's a tip Steve nagged me about back in the day :p).

Darth Cruel
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
JT - There is some considerable overlap with the robe. It definitely takes up more space than the Sideshow one does. Another of the cons.

Edit - And I AM going to set up a studio. I am finding that I like to take the pictures more and more.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I hate lighting, that's your biggest enemy, lights and reflectors and backdrops and a million little stupid things to go wrong. They sell an all-in-one kit for stuff this size, the table the subject stands on is curved and semi translucent white so it illuminates from below, but that sucker is $500 and too short to shoot 12" figures from all angles.

The Sideshow one, wouldn't that overlap if it weren't clasped together in the front? Or is it much tighter? I can see fudging the extra material on the Hasbro one, folding it in the back into itself, and it'd billow great when moved just like the movie.

Bosskman
01-25-2007, 04:41 AM
My Sith Probe Droids are processing and they upgraded me to the inclusive edition.

plasticfetish
01-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Okay! I've put photos of Maul in the Database...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4876

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow, they did a way worse job with that one's face paint, I'm really glad Steve didn't send it to me to review. The mask is so far off on the lip with the upper lip being red that the black part looks like a greasepaint mustache! Why did they paint the lips at all when the character looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DevilMaul.jpg

Granted, some promo shots show Ray Park's actual human lip behind the makeup, but the red SSC used is NOT replicating that.

Nice pics though PF, although the nudes are creepy! :p

nash
01-28-2007, 11:15 PM
thanks for that link JT, I was wondering how his lip paint looks when he's not snarling.

plasticfetish
01-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Wow, they did a way worse job with that one's face paint, I'm really glad Steve didn't send it to me to review. The mask is so far off on the lip with the upper lip being red that the black part looks like a greasepaint mustache! Why did they paint the lips at all when the character looks like this:Yep. I'm still digesting this one, but the paint is an issue. (As it always is I suppose.) I like the head sculpt a lot, but the masking is pretty loose.

Then there's the fact that the saber handles (all 3) are bent, and the front flap thing was glued on to his belt crooked. :ermm:

If it wasn't for the little quality control issues...

Nice pics though PF, although the nudes are creepy! :pI agree, but since I had to take his clothes off to readjust them anyway :rolleyes: I thought, what the heck.

Hey! Here's a question... I've looked and looked, and haven't seen one photo where there are little silver studs on his belt. Any thoughts?

JediTricks
01-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Yep. I'm still digesting this one, but the paint is an issue. (As it always is I suppose.) I like the head sculpt a lot, but the masking is pretty loose.Not just loose, but why the upper lip gets painted at all makes no sense to me, I cited the lip paint issue as one of the reasons on my return request. The new one will be here tomorrow, but I suspect it'll be screwed up like this too.

Then there's the fact that the saber handles (all 3) are bent, and the front flap thing was glued on to his belt crooked. :ermm:Aw crap, it was glued on crooked on yours? That's among the other reasons I cited when I sent mine back. Oh well, they'll have to eat that $60 product I guess and hopefully it'll make them think twice next time about their quality before sending it out the door. On your saber handles, they're bent at the middle perhaps where the 2 halves are joined together? One of mine was like this, the other 2 weren't.

If it wasn't for the little quality control issues...NO KIDDING! My Maul was sent out on Saturday and by that day I already had another SSC figure to send back for replacement (12" Legolas with his bent bow and unsewn sleeve). If they had tighter QC, I would feel much better about ordering from them.

Hey! Here's a question... I've looked and looked, and haven't seen one photo where there are little silver studs on his belt. Any thoughts?I dunno where they got that one from, I think they look good on the figure, but this picture showing the costume's belt doesn't seem to have 'em: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DarthxMaul.jpg

nash
01-31-2007, 01:37 AM
you know guys, I agree with you, but a lot of Sideshow fanatics can see no wrong and would call you all crazy for your complaints :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
01-31-2007, 03:13 AM
you know guys, I agree with you, but a lot of Sideshow fanatics can see no wrong and would call you all crazy for your complaints :rolleyes:Which is a shame. I mean... call it "tough love" or whatever, but I'd like nothing better than to see them kill off these problems. It'll only happen if people speak up. Not just b****, but you know... constructively criticize.

God, imagine how cool a Sideshow Tusken Raider could be, but imagine how badly they could screw it up if they don't get a handle on the quality issues.

Anyway, I ramble...

Not just loose, but why the upper lip gets painted at all makes no sense to me, I cited the lip paint issue as one of the reasons on my return request. The new one will be here tomorrow, but I suspect it'll be screwed up like this too.Let us know if it is still a mess.

It's not that they painted it red right? Because that's the base color, and the black paint on top is shifted too far up.

Aw crap, it was glued on crooked on yours? Oh yeah... and I have a great photo of just that. (It'll be part of the review. ;))

On your saber handles, they're bent at the middle perhaps where the 2 halves are joined together? One of mine was like this, the other 2 weren't.No, all three handles are exactly the same. It's not that they were glued wrong, it looks as though the mold was slightly distorted at one end (of the handle), which tips that ends blade very slightly.

I dunno where they got that one from, I think they look good on the figure, but this picture showing the costume's belt doesn't seem to have 'emYeah, that's what I thought. I think they look good also, but I was thinking about painting them black just the same. (Probably when I get around to touching up the face paint.)

JediTricks
01-31-2007, 11:38 PM
you know guys, I agree with you, but a lot of Sideshow fanatics can see no wrong and would call you all crazy for your complaints :rolleyes:
And that's why we're here and not over there. :p

Which is a shame. I mean... call it "tough love" or whatever, but I'd like nothing better than to see them kill off these problems. It'll only happen if people speak up. Not just b****, but you know... constructively criticize.That's a good point. We haven't made a big enough stink and their quality HAS been slipping too, so that's a good counter-argument to "you're just nitpicking".

Let us know if it is still a mess.None are as bad as yours, but the top lip on mine does have red about a quarter of the way up the "inside" of the lip.

It's not that they painted it red right? Because that's the base color, and the black paint on top is shifted too far up.Oh, is it? I thought it was cast in black and then painted red.

No, all three handles are exactly the same. It's not that they were glued wrong, it looks as though the mold was slightly distorted at one end (of the handle), which tips that ends blade very slightly.That's weird, I don't remember mine being like that, but I do remember one was glued together a little off.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I think they look good also, but I was thinking about painting them black just the same. (Probably when I get around to touching up the face paint.)Well, take photos of that too.

I got my replacement in the mail, the box is way different from the original. I haven't gotten around to inspecting it yet, just looked through the windows and everything seemed alright. I dunno, my enthusiasm for this piece and Sideshow in general has really plummeted in the past few days.

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I noticed a significant goof on Maul today, not sure why I didn't notice this before. Maul comes with a "Force gesture right hand", but in the movie when Maul uses the Force to throw a Battle Droid part into the door controls (this is what the hand is replicating) he does so with his LEFT hand!
http://multimedia.theforce.net/museum/images/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Darth_Maul/duel1-05.jpg
http://multimedia.theforce.net/museum/images/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Darth_Maul/duel1-06.jpg

I just found a second goof as well, Sideshow glues the belt clip for the saber at the top of the belt, but Maul had this thing on the bottom of the belt.
http://www.cybertronical.com/allsites/starwars/main/characters/darth_maul/dm2.jpg
http://www.focusmag.gr/id/files/189113/Darth%20Maul.jpg (http://www.focusmag.gr/id/files/189113/Darth%20Maul.jpg)

I finally took the replacement Maul out of the box and checked him out. The problem areas are in better condition than my first one, but the set is still not without flaws. The red lips, as mentioned before, are still carrying some red (nowhere near as bad as PF's). The belt's lightsaber clip is glued ever so slightly askew. The belt's cloth skirt panel is actually glued on straight in the vertical orientation this time, but is not centered horizontally so it's glued on about a centimeter too far to the right. The single-blade whole saber's blade is fairly crooked. And finally, there was a noticeable chunk of flash covering half the hole on one of the extra gloved hands (and was a pain in the *** to cut away).

I gave this figure another thought, and I think this figure is better than I originally thought. Granted, the belt panel is never glued right the upper lip always has that red paint that's not supposed to be there, and the short-male body's arms are far too long; but the figure can hold some decent poses, the poofy sleeves on this replacement are much more manageable, and while the outer cloak still doesn't want to stay closed it does look pretty good when worn right. All in all, I'd say this is an A- piece. I just wish there wasn't so much trauma from Sideshow for me to get the piece right so I could arrive at that determination.

It's not that they painted it red right? Because that's the base color, and the black paint on top is shifted too far up.Well, I took out my replacement Maul and used a knife to scrape away a little plastic in the back of his neck, and it came up all black, so I'm now fairly confident the red parts are the mask.

No, all three handles are exactly the same. It's not that they were glued wrong, it looks as though the mold was slightly distorted at one end (of the handle), which tips that ends blade very slightly.Ok, I see what you mean I think, on close inspection the emitter plates do seem ever so slightly crooked on each one of these. My double-bladed blades came out dead straight though, while my single-blade double-saber same out slightly crooked, yet both sets the emitter plate area was slightly crooked but since my double-blade is straight I'll take it that way. :p

Yeah, that's what I thought. I think they look good also, but I was thinking about painting them black just the same. (Probably when I get around to touching up the face paint.)Well, it turns out the silver studs on the belt are removable - I know this because one of the ones on the front of the belt on mine is already missing. Once removed, they leave a very small hole in the leather that's black inside, so this might be an alternative to painting them. However, I believe Kotobukiya's Maul statue has the belt studs in black.

plasticfetish
02-02-2007, 01:15 AM
As I was going through looking/pulling stills of Maul, I noticed the left hand force gesture thing, but I thought... eh, what the heck. It still looks cool enough. :) As far as the belt clip thing goes, I'm sort of glad they did it the way they did. Sure, if it was lower then the handle would site a little lower and fit better, but I'm imagining that it wouldn't be as strong.

I think you're right about the red parts on the face being masked now. If you look very closely you can see how it's a little fuzzy around the edges. I'm sort of wondering if they didn't then paint the black detail as another mask on top of the red. (So... black base, red mask, then black detail.) Either way, they're not lined up perfectly.

Speaking of that... see the photos over at the Sideshow site?

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=2574#id=darthmaul&num=4&source=020107news

On at least one besides mine (#9 ;)), you can see how the paint mask is a bit off.

-----

And just to bounce off of your giving it an A- grade... you know, in general I really like this figure (it's fun to fiddle with, and very fun to photograph), but it has it's problems. I'd give it a B+ (and I'll expand when I get the review done this weekend), which is a high grade from me at this point... as far as this line goes anyway.

Oh! One other thing. I really wish they'd change the preorder day to anything other than Friday. I'm at work really early on Friday, and will probably never be around to preorder anything. :(

JediTricks
02-02-2007, 04:34 PM
As I was going through looking/pulling stills of Maul, I noticed the left hand force gesture thing, but I thought... eh, what the heck. It still looks cool enough. :)Yeah, true enough, I'm just saying they got it wrong is all.

As far as the belt clip thing goes, I'm sort of glad they did it the way they did. Sure, if it was lower then the handle would site a little lower and fit better, but I'm imagining that it wouldn't be as strong.Strength? They barely glue that thing on, and at the top it'd be top-heavy and there's less material to hold it in place, the bottom would have the strength I'd think.

I think you're right about the red parts on the face being masked now. If you look very closely you can see how it's a little fuzzy around the edges. I'm sort of wondering if they didn't then paint the black detail as another mask on top of the red. (So... black base, red mask, then black detail.) Either way, they're not lined up perfectly.Well, it could be a little fuzzy from overspray if it's red or underspray if it's black, so the fuzzy edges don't tell everything. I don't think they repainted the head black though, it wasn't paint-like that came up with I cut his neck.

Speaking of that... see the photos over at the Sideshow site?

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=2574#id=darthmaul&num=4&source=020107news

On at least one besides mine (#9 ;)), you can see how the paint mask is a bit off.Hmm, yeah, I see another like yours but some that are not as bad. #06 looks so correct here I wonder if the customer repainted the lip area.

And just to bounce off of your giving it an A- grade... you know, in general I really like this figure (it's fun to fiddle with, and very fun to photograph), but it has it's problems. I'd give it a B+ (and I'll expand when I get the review done this weekend), which is a high grade from me at this point... as far as this line goes anyway.Hmm, I'm very curious to see your review on this one then, especially whether that's price-based or not.

Oh! One other thing. I really wish they'd change the preorder day to anything other than Friday. I'm at work really early on Friday, and will probably never be around to preorder anything. :(Yeah, that really sucks for a lot of fans, I wish they'd change the preorder situation in general because it's still such a mess. Not with Maul though, he was an Inclusive so we had 4 days to get him (which you missed out on none the less :( ).

plasticfetish
02-02-2007, 05:34 PM
which you missed out on none the lessWell, no... I did have a Maul on preorder, but I cancelled it. :sur:

JediTricks
02-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Damn, you've invalidated my sub-point! ;)

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
PF's review: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=602 (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=602)

youíve got to admit that Darth Maul is a cool character.He's a character? I thought he was just concept art that they CGed into an action sequence. :p

My only wish would be that they could have found a way other than the plastic collar to hold Maulís head in place. Honestly, it doesnít look so hot, but Iím an "opener" for sure, and it didnít bother me for long.Yeah, the dog collar really detracts from the packaged look, I have started taking them off of mine since they're more trouble to deal with anyway. I also wish they wouldn't package cloaks so that they're halfway around the figures' heads.

Maybe there could have been a little red paint added around the base of each horn, but itís not much of a problem to me.Er, there is, even in your photos. Granted, the red paint there on yours is again sloppier than mine, but it's still there.

The worst thing about this, and why they probably did it the way they did with the actual costume (it sits at the lower edge of Maulís belt), is that the handle rides a little high, getting in the way of the right arm.I'm glad you mentioned this, it really bothers me on mine.

On close inspection, it appears that each saber handle is bent at one or both emitters, causing the blades to tip slightly.On mine, even though the emitter plates are bent, the blades are straight.

So, how long did it take you to balance the figure in that kicking pose, PF?

plasticfetish
02-07-2007, 08:21 PM
He's a character? I thought he was just concept art that they CGed into an action sequence.Hah!

Er, there is, even in your photos. Granted, the red paint there on yours is again sloppier than mine, but it's still there.Mmm, look at the prototype figure on the box, and at pics of Maul himself... the red around the horns is much more pronounced. (I'll do a good side-by-side at some point, but I'm trying to get caught up with new figure photos.)

I'm glad you mentioned this, it really bothers me on mine.Did that just for you. ;) The more I looked and thought about it, the more I realized you were right though.

On mine, even though the emitter plates are bent, the blades are straight.Yes, the blades are perfect, but the emitters are warped, so the blades bend. Not a straight line. And something I've noticed, is that the plastic used on those handles is really hard to heat and bend. Darth Cruel mentioned using a heat gun, and I may be too nervous to do that, but just using hot water isn't enough. (Them things is tough.)

So, how long did it take you to balance the figure in that kicking pose, PF?Sometimes it takes ages to set something like that up, but honestly, it only took about a second for this. It's why I was willing to cut this figure as much slack as I did... I mean, IMAGINE trying something like that with a old Hasbro figure.

JediTricks
02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Mmm, look at the prototype figure on the box, and at pics of Maul himself... the red around the horns is much more pronounced. (I'll do a good side-by-side at some point, but I'm trying to get caught up with new figure photos.)Well, the makeup on the movie character varies there too, so it doesn't hold issue for me. Most of the promo shots have the unpainted inner mouth and extra red around the horns but those promo shots are different from the movie makeup.

Did that just for you. ;) The more I looked and thought about it, the more I realized you were right though.Woo! :D

Yes, the blades are perfect, but the emitters are warped, so the blades bend. Not a straight line. And something I've noticed, is that the plastic used on those handles is really hard to heat and bend. Darth Cruel mentioned using a heat gun, and I may be too nervous to do that, but just using hot water isn't enough. (Them things is tough.)Well, that kind of plastic doesn't liquefy till at least 300 - 400 degrees generally, but some heat guns can make items that hot if you hold them there too long. The plastic on these is surprisingly dense as well, and judging from the seam lines I suspect even if you bend it out it'll eventually reform to its current shape because the flaw appears to be the mold (otherwise the seams would be crooked to match).

Sometimes it takes ages to set something like that up, but honestly, it only took about a second for this. It's why I was willing to cut this figure as much slack as I did... I mean, IMAGINE trying something like that with a old Hasbro figure.Awesome! Yeah, I know what you mean, when I got replacement Maul, I put him into some crazy flying-fighting pose and unlike my previous SSC figures, it nailed it first try (it wasn't a standing pose though).

tagmac
06-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Anyone partake in the limited second chance for the is figure that Sideshow opened up yesterday? I went back and forth on this figure until it finally sold out months ago, but this time I caved in and finally ordered one.

plasticfetish
06-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Cool! I saw that and wondered if anyone around here gave it a shot.

Let us know what you think when you get it. :)

jedibear
06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Out of all of the SW Sideshow releases so far, Maul is my favorite. I know some of the folks here have issues with him, but I think he's very well done...

tagmac
06-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Got the e-mail that my Darth Maul shipped and should be here on Monday. Can't wait!!!

Darth Cruel
06-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Out of all of the SW Sideshow releases so far, Maul is my favorite. I know some of the folks here have issues with him, but I think he's very well done...

I have no issues with Maul. I do realize that, like EVERY Sideshow figure, he is not "perfect". But I am 100% satisfied with the result. I simply allow that no1:6 scale action figure will ever be a 12" tall clone of an actor in a movie.

Of course...I feel that way about ALL of Sideshow's figures. But Maul holds a special place with me just because I think he is the coolest-looking and most dynamic character in the whole saga. It is a pity he was killed off so quickly.

tagmac
07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Cool! I saw that and wondered if anyone around here gave it a shot.

Let us know what you think when you get it. :)

Been quite busy lately, but I actually got this in a day later than expected, due to some shipping delays back in June. Haven't taken it out of the package yet, but so far it looks pretty good. Eventually I'll open it up and be able to get a better look at it, along with my ROTS Obi-Wan and Bespin Han figures.