PDA

View Full Version : question about glue for a model

Darth Instigator
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
My son got a Model of the Imperial Star Destroyer for Christmas and we still havent put it together mainly because I don't know what glue to use. Anyone here have any suggestions for me? and where I might find it. THanks

Kidhuman
06-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Go to Wal-Mart, they have a huge selection of glues in the model aisle. I got mine there for the AT-AT.

Slicker
06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
My son got a Model of the Imperial Star Destroyer for Christmas and we still havent put it together mainly because I don't know what glue to use. Anyone here have any suggestions for me? and where I might find it. THanksAs KH said check most of your larger chain stores and they have a special aisle. They do have a couple of different glues to choose from though. I would recommend getting the gel type glue for the bigger pieces and if they have the liquid cement style glue that can be used for the more intricate pieces. Be quick on both if you happen to make a mistake you've only got seconds before it dries on ya.:D

LusiferSam
06-05-2006, 01:59 AM
My son got a Model of the Imperial Star Destroyer for Christmas and we still havent put it together mainly because I don't know what glue to use. Anyone here have any suggestions for me? and where I might find it. THanks
Being a model air plane builder I could suggest all sorts of glues, but I'd start with this type of Testors (http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1461). It's really a plastic cement, that is it melts the plastic and binds it together. It dries slow enough to get things into place, but nor fast enough hold for a minute and forget. Any hobby or craft store should have this, as does Wal-Mart and Target. It's in the toys section with the model cars.

James Boba Fettfield
06-05-2006, 02:32 AM
I'd go with the Testors product that LS provided. It's what my father lives by when building models.

Good luck with the model building. My only advice is to not rush the construction. My first model building experiences -- I thought a model could be put together in a few days.

How wrong I was.

mabudonicus
06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Man, hot topic :beard:
Yes, the two main types are that stuff in the tube and the liquid stuff-
The tube stuff can make stringy crap all over the kit and it stinks worse, IMO, than the liquid stuff...

I personally use nothing but the liquid stuff (I mostly build/built Gundam kits and even with all the moving parts and small contact surfaces, the liquid stuff works fine) all you have to do is cover both surfaces fairly liberally, wait a few seconds and then hold the bits together til they hold-
Make sure to test-fit all parts before you glue them or you may run into truoble...

And I would say that for a Star Destroyer, you might in fact want to use the tube-gel stuff to put the 2 main halves together (as suggested already) but BE CAREFUL, get that stringy stuff on there and you will be able to see it even after you paint the thing (if that's yer plan)... the liquid stuff would work well there, too, but it has less "stick" and so it might be a bit too frustrating for a novice which is why I would recommend (against my own preferences) the tube-stuff for that, but both work on the same principles...

And if there's any small-ish detial bits to add once the main construction is done, you could use krazy glue (any kind of cyanoacrylate adhesive will do, brand name doesn't matter) this will just make getting the bits positioned correctly and permanently a LOT easier

Darth Instigator
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I'd go with the Testors product that LS provided. It's what my father lives by when building models.

Good luck with the model building. My only advice is to not rush the construction. My first model building experiences -- I thought a model could be put together in a few days.

How wrong I was.
oh no, I cant do this in like an hour or so? lol oh well thanks for all the help guys, I will go with the suggestions

LusiferSam
06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Man, hot topic :beard:
Yes, the two main types are that stuff in the tube and the liquid stuff-
The tube stuff can make stringy crap all over the kit and it stinks worse, IMO, than the liquid stuff...
You're thinking of the Testors that comes in the red tube. That stuff stinks to high heaven and is like playing with string cheese. The blue tube Testors smells better (kind of sweet) and a lot less. It's also thinner than the red. It's still a tube glue so it's thick in comparison to a liquid glue.

If your a novice builder I'd stay a way from superglues (krazy glue, CA, etc.) and liquid glues. Both take a bit of skill to use well when model building. Most people tend to use too much glue begin with. With CA glues that can be a nightmare because of fogging and crazing. And liquid glues tend to dry too fast. The type I use, Tenax 7-R, sets in 10 seconds, but bonds well before that. Trust me it's fast.

Jargo
06-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Liquid glue is much better if you need to paint the model though. tube glue can leave blobs and bulges at the seams and stuff where liquid doesn't tend to.

Get some good light on your work area too. and practise gluieng on the throwaway mold frame bits that you end up with.

follow the instructions in a dry run with no glue first. lessens chances of messing up. and do any painting before you put it together. while the various pieces are still attached to the mold frames. it's easier just having a few touch up spots than trying to wrestle a paintbrush into awkward places when the model is fully assembled.

hope that didn't sound patronising. wasn't meant to be.

mabudonicus
06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Naww, Andy, if you'd used the term "you NINNIES" anywhere in there you may have confused folks, but good advice better suited to novices that the technical can of worms I opened up :beard:

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I was just about to mention the "fogging" on krazy glue as a reason to not use it, I've actually used it on a Millennium Falcon model where that fog on the plastic parts worked visually (for wear, specifically), but most of the time it just looks bad, plus it's hard to control and easy to overuse, and I've stuck my fingers to each other or my desk on more than one occasion using it.

Banthaholic
06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
The first thing that popped in my head when I saw this thread was the one-liner from the move Airplane "I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"

Another place that you might have luck is at a Michaels, or if you have one around Hobby Lobby

LusiferSam
06-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Krazy brand or SuperGlue brand CA glues are much too thin to use on a model, most of the time. Fogging is caused by these glues evaporating bbefore they cure. Gap filling formulation, which I use most of the time, are thicker and are less prone fogging. Accelerators also help. An accelerator is a chemical to add after you get the parts right where to want them, the accelerator then cause instant curing. Finally technique is major. Easy does with CA glues. And with any glue, less is more. CA work best in model building when glue non-plastic to plastic or other non-plastic parts. Plastic cements simple can't melt and bond non-plastics.

Darth Instigator
06-29-2006, 10:03 PM
ok finally got it done! here it is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/mikecp421/IMG_0236.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/mikecp421/IMG_0234.jpg

Kidhuman
06-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Very nice job on it DI.

Darth Instigator
06-30-2006, 05:08 AM
thank you sir, I had one area where the glue ran and stained alittle in a white color, nothing too bad but aside from wiping with warm water cloth what can I do to try and clean it more?

mabudonicus
06-30-2006, 06:50 AM
You'd be best to just not display it from that angle :D

Seriously, if you want to risk it, you could use liquid cement with a very clean brush and sorta "wash" the area, then let it set for a few days and sand it down a bbit with some superfine sandpaper, then if it's too rough, dab a bit more cement on there- it's kind of hard to describe but it can be done, it's just sorta tricky- I suppose someone else should have some better advice maybe :beard:

But nice job, them kits can be a PITA to build and it looks like you tamed it good!

Darth Instigator
06-30-2006, 07:05 AM
thanks, that is my first one ever in my 32 years and it was funny, my son kept saying, are we going to finish this tonight? Although I did all the building of it, lol. It took me like a week to put it all together fully though. I will try to clean it how you suggest, thank you.

mabudonicus
06-30-2006, 08:37 AM
poor kid must have thought it was gonna take FOREVER :D

I would suggest if you want to be totally safe, just get some ultra-fine (like 1200 grit) sandpaper and just carefully polishing it til it's gone, it should be easy enough to do and has none of the possible dangers of using the cement as well

If you ARE going to do exactly what I suggested above, you really should try it one some "junk" plastic rather than attempt it on a finished kit- I wouldn't want you to have to spend another week replacing it cos the damn glue got all over it :beard: