PDA

View Full Version : Ebay FOOLS!

cjranck
01-24-2002, 05:59 PM
I do not mean to offend anyone that purchases Star Wars items off Ebay. I myself have purchased many hard to find items from the auction site. However, I came across an item today that totally blew my mind. I'm sure all of you have seen the pictures of the new Episode 2 Sneak Preview Jango Fett figure on the green POTJ card. I'll admit, it looks pretty sweet. One is currently up for auction on Ebay, so I thought I would take a look at it. Needless to say, my jaw dropped so hard that I literally had to walk away from the computer. Not only have there been over 30 bids on it (that I can accept - it isn't even in stores yet), but you will not believe how much it is going for: As of 4:55 PM on Thursday, it is going for $227.50!!! Link below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1694624278

That much (I am sure it will increase) for a $6.99 figure? Is this some kind of prototype that is somehow different from the mass release? Maybe Sir Steve or a staff member can answer that. The fact that a collector has that kind of jack to drop on a $6.99 figure makes me dizzy. What does everyone else think?

JediCole
01-24-2002, 06:31 PM
I really wish I could say that this auction and its present bid surprise me, but they do not. About three years ago at this time I was at a local toy show (DFW, TX area) and stood by and watched a guy gleefully hand over $100.00 for an Episode I C-3PO on the card. This occured about four months before the national release of the figures and the ensuing glut. This was the EXACT SAME C-3PO figure that would soon be clogging the shelves for months to come. I recall remarking to friends at the time that this was the ONLY time an Episode I C-3PO would be worth $100.00! We saw a bit of history then, you are seeing history repeat itself now.

Also, I've already seen I don't know how many auctions for things like the Deluxe Amanaman or the 12" Luke/Yoda selling for outrageous prices on eBay a mere three months before the mass release in the US. It just goes to show, some people have more money than sense.

Lord Malakite
01-24-2002, 06:54 PM
What can I say? :confused: I know! Who wants another lobotomy? :p I do, I do!! :crazed:

LTBasker
01-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Well let's see considering that's it exactly the same as the ones that will be released later on (which makes little sense because then those will definitely sit after everyone got the figure) I'd say that has got to be the worst buy ever. I'm sure that figure will get up to near $300....which is sad considering that the figure will be probably sit even if clearanced to $2 on the first day.

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 11:02 PM
I agree. What a waste of money. But some people just can't wait can they. I wish I had the money to do that and what I want to know is, who has that kind of money to spend on stuff like that? Or the people that bid $4,000 for a vintage carded vinyl caped jawa? Who ARE these people? Sure I'd like to have that stuff, but I'd also like to be able to eat.:D

browndroid
01-24-2002, 11:28 PM
well, some people will pay anything for a collectible.......

chewie
01-24-2002, 11:37 PM
LOL!

In a few months this thing will be sitting around everywhere. That money could have been spent on pretty much the entire new line of EII figs, but will crazed ebayers wait? Nope.

LTBasker
01-25-2002, 01:03 AM
And the sad part is that there will be more...many more.

JetsAndHeels
01-25-2002, 10:18 AM
I only have one word for that: Sad.
Sad that someone can't wait a few weeks to get the preview figure. Let me tell you, if I can wait, anyone can. I am really looking forward to the figures and the movie, but there is no way I would shell out that kind of money for a figure that will be out in a few weeks!! That is ridiculous!! Use your money for something else, like bills, food, clothes, a Playstation 2, anything!!

Jedi Drew
01-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Man-that bidder must be smoking some good crack to pay OVER 200.00 for a figure that will be out in a few weeks. More power to them...I guess?????

JetsAndHeels
01-25-2002, 11:53 AM
I still think it is sad, but you know the person selling that figure is feeling pretty damn good about themselves right now....
Hillarious.

Wolfwood319
01-25-2002, 11:55 AM
No! No...No NO NO NO!!!

We should limit the amount of power people like these posess. We don't want people willing to fork over $200 for something they can get in a few weeks for $7! Lock them ALL up!!! Keep them locked up, never let them out!

Some people really are living on a different plane of existance as the rest of us. Collecting Star Wars figures is one thing, spending $200 on 1 figure that isn't even remotely close to being worth that is something else.

You wonder why people like us get mocked and ridiculed. There's your answer, an overweight, 20-something, unmarried, never been in a relationship, living in his parents basement, blowing $200 on 1 stupid figure!

Fools...

mabudonicus
01-25-2002, 12:42 PM
I just wanted to address something sithdroid posted, namely- what's the deal with them vinyl caped jawas? When the cloth caped one came out, the vinyl caped one became the second banana IMMEDIATELY ! Sure, it's a rare figure, but whenever I see the price for the MOC vc jawa it drives me nuts! FOUR GRAND for a crummy representation. Ahh well, maybe I'm just ticked off cause I tore the crappy cape off of mine, thinking it looked better without. P.S. maybe hasbro is secretly selling that Jango on e-bay in order to recoup the projected losses on "unleashed" and the first few waves of AOTC!!! Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaa!!!

JetsAndHeels
01-25-2002, 01:06 PM
I dont know if anyone else saw this, but someone had a custom Jango on ebay last week. What was so cool about it was the person who made it also made the card it was on. It was similar to the EP1 card, but was blue. The face was of Count Dooku and it had a Jedi Force File like the POTJ figures. I think it was going for close to $100.00. Now I know that is not cheap, but if I was buying a figure on ebay (not that i would for that much), it would be that one because of the work that went into that figure.

Jayspawn
01-25-2002, 03:29 PM
I think people who play that much for figures are nuts! Ok, for a vintage Luke Skywalker in a C-10 packaging is worth it. But an Episode II figure? Please!

sith_killer_99
01-25-2002, 05:34 PM
If you think that's bad just check out the poor idiot that's already bid $41.00 for a PRE-SELL!

Yeah, some idiot is paying 7 times what the figure is worth just to reserve a Jango Fett.

Plus the guy selling said No Guarantees AND not responsible for late shipments by Hasbro.

So the guy buying this will eventually get a Jango Fett whenever it arrives?!?!?!?!

WHAT AN IDIOT:crazed:

Some people just have no common sense!

BTW the item number is:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

GNT
01-25-2002, 08:36 PM
The Jango action is up to $232.52! :eek:

Dont you think by the time the action is over,buyer sends the cash,seller gets cash,sends figure,buyer gets figure 4 weeks later the figure would have already be out?

Darth Mojhaan
01-26-2002, 12:01 AM
Alright, Jango looks cool! In matter of fact I will buy myself one, but d@mn, that guy is a loser. Can he not wait until the midnight release to get the figures he wants? NO! He will fork over the 250 or something, recieve his prize, then he will gloat thinking: "Ha! Look what I have...and I am the first! I remember being teased! Teased because of the $100 threepio I purchased!Now who has the last laugh?"
Then I will leave my local TRU around 1 in the morning with my new Jango and Anikan and all the other toys with the loser on my mind. And my reply to him will be:" Well, since I only spent under thirty dollars, it would have to be me who's laughing!!!"
What a loser!!!

Rollo Tomassi
01-26-2002, 02:03 PM
Wait...are you guys saying I bid too much on that Jango figure?? Dammit!!

And I suppose this $110 3-PO isn't worth that much either...

What about this Ep 1 Tatooine Darth Maul I forked $75 over for? I thought $75 was a steal because it wasn't on the card... hmmmm...

Obi-Dan Kenobi
01-26-2002, 04:26 PM
What is really disturbing is that, since the price keeps going up, there are probably SEVERAL of these people bidding this much money!!! :eek: :confused: :eek: I mean, this is nuts! I'm sorry, no action figure, from any line, is worth that much to me. I don't think I'd ever pay over $20 for a single carded figure, no matter what it was. DEFINITELY not one that was coming out in a couple of months for $7!

mylow thehutt
01-26-2002, 09:26 PM
:cry: ok guys,you may think I'm stupid but i bidded 2,000 $$ on it.If onley i didn't smoke those 100s.

just joking.hay won't the guy thats selling the toy get a law suite?:greedy: :greedy:

JediCole
01-26-2002, 10:25 PM
I can't decide which is worse, the fact that this auction (as of this posting) has 35 BIDS from 22 DISTINCT BIDDERS or that the author of the auction cannot spell the word "prequel"! It would be fun if we could obtain the email address of the winning bidder when this ends and, a couple of months from now when we buy our Jangos, scan copies of the register receipts and email them to this guy! Better still, send a scan of figure and receipt side by side! I honestly cannot wait until this auction is over, though. Foremost to see how it ends (price wise), and secondly to view the bid history which will separate the people with a brain (those who quit bidding at about $10.00) from the idiots (current high bidder being their king).

I would like to applaud the fact that no one seems to be overtly attacking the seller on this auction as an unprincipled "scalper". Bear in mind that this auction had an opening bid of $0.99 and no reserve. Only hysteria and stupidity brought the total to the dizzying hights that we now mock!

A final thought, thought the seller does not promote this item as "rare", "unproduced", "prototype", or use other such descriptions, the opening line of "Here is the gem of the year", is somewhat dubious at best. We can only hope that this auction is being offered by some fool who already paid at least $300.00 for this item and is hopeful to find it a new home pretty pronto.

Lord Malakite
01-27-2002, 02:27 PM
If you think that auction is bad, check out the one I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1696036383&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1012608070&indexURL=0&rd=1

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Hilarious! What's next, a lock of his hair, some ear wax perhaps? A fingernail clipping? Belly button lint? An eyelash?

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Better yet, does it come with a certificate of authenticity?

GNT
01-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
I'm sorry, no action figure, from any line, is worth that much to me. I don't think I'd ever pay over $20 for a single carded figure, no matter what it was.

Guess you dont want Vlix then :

good shot jansen
01-28-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
If you think that auction is bad, check out the one I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1696036383&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1012608070&indexURL=0&rd=1

if you noticed, he is offering free shipping!

:crazed:

InsaneJediGirl
01-28-2002, 09:31 AM
Wow Lint?Thats funny....I wonder if I can pull some lint
out of my dryer,Claim it is Lucas',and sell it.The question
is,What idioit would buy it?

JediCole
01-28-2002, 11:41 AM
One thing is for sure, the winning bidder won't be putting their kids through college off of this item. Like the $100.00 EI C-3PO, this is the ONLY time this ball of lint will be worth whatever the winning bidder pays for it to ANYONE!

Personally I think the bidder is an insane geneticist who hopes that there will be some Mark Hamill DNA in the lint which they can use to clone thier own Mr. Hamill.

Darth Ovori
01-28-2002, 11:59 AM
Well to tell you guys the truth...

If I had the first Jango now, knowing that thier would be morons out there... I too would take thier money...

SithDroid
01-28-2002, 05:26 PM
Yeah, but look at the high bidder right now, socksniffer. Somebody must have an obsession with it.

snakeplkn
01-28-2002, 07:36 PM
The Jango auction finally ends, at $255! Interestingly enough, this is the amount of feedback the buyer has. Further ... the buyer back in November bought two Hot Wheels cars from the same seller for a total of $164. Could this buyer be some addict who uses the same seller to get his fix?

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

Rollo Tomassi
01-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Pocket lint? What? No picture?? Well, then I'm not bidding...:rolleyes: ;)

The same guy buys from the same seller...often. Sounds like somebody has two different accounts and is artificially inflating his own product's price. Except it back fired and now he doesn't get anything.