PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Comic Con 2006

Joshkj
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Ive herd little to no disscusion about it. I reg on friday and im stoked!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Reason there's been little discussion is probably because they've not yet released the progamming schedule. I'm still undecided as to which day I plan to go, but it'll either be Fri. or Sat. (I've always gone on Sats. due to my personal schedule, which for the first time in ages is open that whole weekend).

Has anyone read how much the SDCC exclusive Han blaster from Master Replicas will set buyers back?

Deoxyribonucleic
06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I'll be there all 4 and half days! Can't wait! We should all plan to meet up somehow. I know I'll be hangin with my homie Tycho and I can't wait to see you my dear ;)

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm definitely going to be there, but I've seen hide nor hair of any sort of schedule. Seems like pretty short notice, given that it's only a month off.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah my friends and I were just discussing that, plus none of us has received our tickets in the mail but I guess they are redoing their entire computer system and a new way for us to get tickets...? They had better hurry. Chux, I better see you there! And that's no bull ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah my friends and I were just discussing that, plus none of us has received our tickets in the mail but I guess they are redoing their entire computer system and a new way for us to get tickets...? They had better hurry. Chux, I better see you there! And that's no bull ;)I thought I read that they don't send tickets out, that you pick them up at the Convention Center. Last year, you went to the computers, typed in your soon-to-be-stolen-identity information :rolleyes: and got your ID badge. I'd figure it's close to that again this year, but info is hard to come by so far.

As far as meeting, we'd have to know what each of us looks like. I'll be in the orange tux-and-tails with walking stick, handing out C-notes to all my peeps at the ski lodge. :p Kidding. But I can't wear my Pope John Paul 2 hat anymore, as it's no longer a funny gag. :(

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 11:45 PM
I arrived home today to find my tickets in the mailbox! (And the X-Wing Omnibus and first Legacy novel on my doorstep! Jackpot!!)

Still no info on the website about programming, though. I think it's reasonable to guess that, with the teaser dropping a few weeks before and given the huge semi truck they had with nothing else to show, there will be something pretty spectacular involving the Transformers movie.

What else?

I wouldn't doubt some real info on Spidey 3. Maybe Pirates 3, too.

Now that Disney and Pixar are friends again, and Mr Lasseter is bringing the animation department back into reality and out of the pockets of corporate hucksters, I'd be surprised if we don't get some pretty earth-shattering news about future projects. (Pixar's been quite mum on what they're doing post-Cars, which isn't like them. I'm guessing Toy Story 3, which is basically confirmed, or The Incredibles 2.)

Oh, and Rob Liefeld will probably be there again. All of us can take turns distracting him while another kicks him in the shins.

Tycho
06-24-2006, 02:20 PM
I look forward to hanging out with all of you again (Deoxy, Chuxter, et all).

I'll be a little worse for wear this year, as you might expect. That may mean I'll have to rest a lot or pick and choose times to go home and take naps.

Of priority for me are:

Superman Stuff including anything Smallville
Transformers stuff
Master Replicas Party (and their display area of course!)
Hasbro's Star Wars presentation, no doubt
any Star Trek news (DS/AA Toys, plus Paramount announcements)
Dark Horse Star Wars
Del Rey Star Wars
Taking crazy pictures with costumed characters when I can
The Masquerade Ball on Saturday night

abell748
06-25-2006, 07:52 AM
I am an idiot, I posted to the 2005 thread without paying attention! Let's try it in the correct thread.

Is there anyone going who would be interested in picking up the 501 trooper and the SW freebies for me? I would pay for the figure, shipping, and a few dollars for your trouble. Help me those attending SDCC, your my only hope...

Turbowars
06-25-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm going on Preview night and probably Sat. I really want that GG Shocktrooper, so if any of you guys can help that would be great. These busts are crazy to get.

So is there going to be a SSG get to gether? On the badge I put my user id on it, so you guys will see it's me. Also I remember last years or was it the years fore some one made up a printable SSG badge. I remember it looking really cool.

Anyways hope to see a few of you!

I will get a few 501 and when I get home I'll post that i have them or not.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-01-2006, 11:46 AM
On 7/1/06:
What else is coming to Comic-Con this year? Stay tuned...the complete programming schedule premieres next week!

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/
So, since "next week" begins at 12:01am 7/2/06, I expect to have full coverage then, SDCC! :rolleyes: I hope there's a panel on why '80s GI Joe figs had such breakable thumbs!... :tired:

Reefer Shark
07-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I haven't received anything in the mail, and I'm starting to get a little worried. Anyone else besides Chuxter get their tickets yet?

I'm taking one of my nephews, and we have a room booked close to the convention center. We're going Preview night and Thursday. Getting excited, but a little worried about the whole ticket thing!

plasticfetish
07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
That's bonkers... and there's really no info on their site other than Sam Jackson promoting "Snakes On A Plane."

(wtf?)

So... no Comic-Con for me this year. :cry: Being that they're holding it farther away from my house, it'll be too expensive for me to drive. (That's a joke... I moved.) So, I'm not gonna get my yearly hug from Tycho. (I'm sure he'll hog all of the camera time with the girls dressed like slave Leia.) I won't get to wave awkwardly at El Chuxter, or try to spot Deoxyribonucleic in the crowd... "man, she was just here. You missed her by 30 seconds." I won't get to almost meet any of you...

Mostly I'm sorry that I'm gonna miss meeting Basil Gogos, Forrest J. Ackerman, Sergio Aragonés and all of the other old men that I introduce my really confused 8 year old son to.

Well... poop.

If anyone sees Art Clokey wandering around, be sure to tell him that Gumby always gave me nightmares as a kid.

Tycho
07-01-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure if this year the Star Wars "bunnies" won't have put on too much pounds for their Slave Leia outfits. One can only hope - or that there's a new group of younger girls interested in this, still. Pregnant Padmes? Now that I have no trouble imagining, haha.

I'm actually planning on seeking Aayla Securas, Mystiques from X-men, and Kitty from X-men. For the most part, I'm into blue girls this year.

'Once you go "blue girl" you don't get blue balls.' - can't wait for you guys to censor that instant classic quote "new" from Tycho. But it also wouldn't surprise me if it ended up as someone's signature line either.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2006, 05:14 PM
I haven't received anything in the mail, and I'm starting to get a little worried. Anyone else besides Chuxter get their tickets yet?

I'm taking one of my nephews, and we have a room booked close to the convention center. We're going Preview night and Thursday. Getting excited, but a little worried about the whole ticket thing!Mine says I have to get them at the Conv. Center itself, just like last year. I have to take my form (that was mailed to me) with me and input my info there. I don't know how you all are getting in easier than I; have I been hornswaggled somehow? :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, here's the only specific detail, as plasticfetish mentioned already:

On 7/3/06:
Itís true!
One of the hottest movies of the summer is New Lineís Snakes On A Plane and itís coming to Comic-Con! Join star Samuel L. Jackson and director David R. Ellis for a Comic-Con exclusive panel discussion starting at 5:45PM on Friday, July 21 in Hall H.
And...

The Comic-Con Programming staff is already at work on 2006's event. Visit this page often for updates on Comic-Con's Programming slate for 2006. A complete schedule of programming events will appear on this page as we get closer to the event.
Apparently, 17 days before it starts isn't close enough to the event. :confused:

stillakid
07-03-2006, 06:37 PM
I'll be there gratuitously shooting the cast of ACCEPTED. :)

El Chuxter
07-03-2006, 07:07 PM
I want to send them an e-mail that quotes the blurb on their site that says the schedule will be posted sometime in June, followed by one word in bold print: LIARS!

Tycho
07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Once they do have a schedule up I can tell you exactly where I'll be.

I go for the panels:

Hasbro (SW & Transformers)
Smallville
Star Wars (was my priority but this year I'll go if it doesn't conflict with SV)
Superman (if there will be any)
Transformers the Movie (if there will be one)
Dark Horse Star Wars
Del Rey Star Wars
DK/Scholastic Star Wars (if they do one)
SideShow's Star Wars (if they do one)
Diamond Select / Art Asylum's Star Trek (if something approximates it)
Master Replicas' panel (if they do one)

These are all typical things I like to do at Comic Con.

I might run around to the booths selling ArtAsylum Star Trek exclusive figures.

I have no interest in the Star Wars ones being offered. (I barely spend money at Comic Con except for food if I can't leave the show to go to a local grocery store's deli)

I'll go to the Master Replicas Collector Society party on (I think) Friday Night, and the costume Masquerade competition on Saturday Night. (you know the costumers often perform: dancing, fighting, comedy, even Transforming for those with previously bad attempts at being Transformers - Smokescreen's leg that fell off is still notorious in my mind as sometimes the comedy is there but unintentional.)

All depends on how I am feeling. As I rest more frequently now and I may need to go home and sleep sometimes.

And I'll be hanging around Hasbro's display area (SW and Transformers) plus Master Replicas and SideShow's. If it's true that Optimus Prime (life size) will be there, I'll be hanging out with my hero as well.

I also like to talk to all the stripper girls the vendors hire to wear skimpy outfits, and say things like "Power Rangers are cool" to all the nerds, etc.

jjreason
07-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Once they do have a schedule up I can tell you exactly where I'll be.....

I also like to talk to all the stripper girls the vendors hire to wear skimpy outfits, and say things like "Power Rangers are cool" to all the nerds, etc.

This may be the most jealous I've ever been in my entire life. :sad:

plasticfetish
07-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Well... there is that whole "adult star" section that I normally avoid when I'm with the kid. I suppose that explains why I could never find Tycho again after the Hasbro panel. ;)

Tycho
07-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Now you figured it out :love:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Once they do have a schedule up I can tell you exactly where I'll be.

I go for the panels:

These are all typical things I like to do at Comic Con.

I might run around to the booths selling [name] exclusive figures.

I have no interest in the Star Wars ones being offered. (I barely spend money at Comic Con except for food if I can't leave the show to go to a local grocery store's deli)

and say things like "Power Rangers are cool" to all the nerds, etc.I like the panels, too. A way to relax (if you get there early enough) and a great way to hear experts accidentally devulge literary secrets to the public! ;)

I do buy the figures, just because they're there, not for their value. I really don't like "exclusives" for their "rarity," but I get the SDCC ones more for souveneir-sake.

I take the BYOF route and bring my own food. Dry stuff like granola bars or bagged snacks with a bottle of water. It's cheap and it lets me maximize my time there (I ususally only drive down for one day).

What is a "nerd, etc." BTW? :D

Tycho
07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
By "nerds, etc." I meant:

- nerds
- geeks
- losers
- False Gays
- people waiting until they're 40 to start puberty
- people that look really sad dressed up in homemade, unprofessional costumes
- and False-nerds
- False-geeks
- False-Losers

I really have never encountered a good comparison of the differences between a Nerd and a Geek, but I can explain the False ones.

False Nerds and False Geeks embrace the fantasy genres of True-Nerds and True-Geeks. As "that type," they may also be extremely intelligent, long-winded, tend to post a lot on SSG or similar forums (sound familiar?), but actually have a TRUE Life hidden somewhere, such that they socialize in the real world, might have a girlfriend or enviable marriage, might play sports (without an X-Box), and enjoy outdoor activities, making music (with rock 'n roll instruments as opposed to a violin or piano), or they might be gangsters, drug-dealers, or other "rebel types" (this does not include someone you want to call the Fashion Police on though).

True Nerds and True Geeks ONLY have their fantasy / sci-fi life and can't hold a conversation about anything else mostly, they have no such luck with the opposite sex, minimal self-confidence unless they are playing a RPG, etc.
You'll see both kinds flock to Comic Con.

The strippers for hire that say "Power Rangers are Cool!" in a Hooter's Girl cheer make a bigger impression on the True-Geeks and True-Nerds because you see them walk away, stunned, , muttering to themselves "She actually was talking to me...." This makes them feel adventurous and wild inside, and quickly they find a vintage toy dealer and pay too much money for Buck Rodgers and the 21st Century figures from the 1980's. (note for reality check - it's the 21st century now and True-Life doesn't look anything like that old TV show - but nevermind....)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Uh, I asked, so I got an answer... :confused: :rolleyes:

But, on more pressing matters...

On 7/6/06:
It's Here
The 2006 Programming Schedule is being posted a day at a time! Thursday and Friday are now available!Hooray! Check it out here:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

Tycho
07-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Tycho's definitive Comic Con Schedule:

THURSDAY, JULY 20

4pm Room 4 - Hasbro's Transformers!

5pm Room 7a - Action Figure Times Q&A with brands including Diamond Select who bought ArtAsylum's Star Trek rights.

I may even go downtown late because I'll have seen Hasbro's showroom the day prior on Preview Night. But I may have to shop for several Star Wars comic books I'm missing, so I may get down there after lunch.

FRIDAY, JULY 21

10:30-11 Room 6A - Stan Lee and Spider-Man

11am -Room 6CDEF - Star Trek Update

11:30 - Room 2 ALL SSGrs PLEASE ATTEND - HASBRO STAR WARS PANEL! You must be here if you're coming to Comic Con 2006 on Friday. Let's demand Owen and Beru, a Sailbarge, Mouse Droid pack-ins that you can sniff with every figure - and more! They're going to show the 2007 figures (some of them) the new cardbacks, the possible pack-ins, maybe the Sith Infiltrator and V-wing, the future of Unleashed, and more! YOU HAVE TO BE HERE! 11:30am -12:30 pm, Room 2 - bring weapons! (and your Black Pearl pirate ship from Zizzle if it's possible to get that yet. We need to make our point!)

12:30 - 1:30 -Room 2 (you won't have to go anywhere) - Lorne Peterson - the man who built the Millennium Falcon

1pm - 2pm Room 20 - Superman Returns, Smallville and more (special guests) - I don't really want to miss this.

2:30-3:30 Room 2: - Star Wars Legacy Books with Aaron Allston, Troy Denning (Star by Star), and Karen Traviss (Clone Commando: Hard Contact!) and the future of teh Legacy books.

Note: Paramount does have Hall H booked at this time - keep a lookout for Transformers stuff. The schedule does not reveal what they're putting on.

3:30 - 4:30 Room 2 - San Diego Star Wars Society Trivia - hey, I know these nerds! Oh yeah. I belong to their organization to. I may be getting my geek-on.

4-5 Room 6CDEF - I don't know what it is, but Sarah Carter (Alicia on Smallville) is going to be there about her new show "Shark," and I could care less, I just want to take a look at her. (Stalker Alert!)

4:30-5:30 HALL H - Steve Sansweet with Lucasfilm's official Star Wars update: C4, the TV shows, the 3D releases, the OOT on DVD, more. Don't miss this. Hall H is on the other side (east side) of the convention center. You'l have to do some walking and there WILL be a line to get in.

At 5:45 Samuel L. Jackson is doing a program in Hall H for "Snakes on a Plane." That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if MACE WINDU showed up during Sansweet's presentation. This is Jackson's very first Comic Con appearance. We need to find out what happened to Mace after Anakin chopped off his hand, Palpatine electricuted him, and he fell out of an (at least) 50 story building. Are there VA benefits for Jedi? Maybe we'll find out.

7-8:30pm Room 6A - Klingon Lifestyle. Why not? I want to learn how I may Die with Honor.

Later that night I think: MASTER REPLICAS COLLECTOR SOCIETY PARTY with Force-FX Lightsabers - I'll fight you if you come. (I'm bringing my ROTJ Luke Skywalker Force FX) Help me make SirSteve not want to admit he knows us. Bring your lightsaber, thirst, and an appetite. MR threw a great party last year.

Personally, if I make it this long - that will be enough and I'll really need to go home and sleep it off.

Anyway, I'll update on my opinion of the schedule highlights for Sat. and Sun. as soon as they're posted.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
I am now in a quandry... Friday is apparently Star Wars Day, but Saturday usually has cool stuff, too (especially the Masquerade and several movie previews). I have but one day available, so help me Obi-Wan, you're yaddie-yadda-yadda... but I "must do what [I] feel is right, of course." :cross-eye

El Chuxter
07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
11:30 - Room 2 ALL SSGrs PLEASE ATTEND - HASBRO STAR WARS PANEL! You must be here if you're coming to Comic Con 2006 on Friday. Let's demand Owen and Beru, a Sailbarge, Mouse Droid pack-ins that you can sniff with every figure - and more! They're going to show the 2007 figures (some of them) the new cardbacks, the possible pack-ins, maybe the Sith Infiltrator and V-wing, the future of Unleashed, and more! YOU HAVE TO BE HERE! 11:30am -12:30 pm, Room 2 - bring weapons! (and your Black Pearl pirate ship from Zizzle if it's possible to get that yet. We need to make our point!)

But that would involve require my missing Scott McCloud's unveiling of Making Comics, just to hear them not answer questions and show pictures of stuff that will be in their booth immediately afterwards?

Okay, seriously, this is a bit of a conundrum. I wish no two panels could ever be scheduled at the same time. I'm more interested in the Hasbro panel than the SW Spectacular, since I expect the latter to be a whole lot of nothing just like it was last year. Samuel L, you say? To really pique my interest, they need to have Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, Amy Allen, Can'tspellherfirstname Krishnan, and a magically age-regressed Carrie Fisher, all in slave gear.

Tycho
07-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Hasbro will probably not have their 2007 figures in their booth, but rather let you take a look at their whole 2006 line (back the the Carkoon wave) in their glass display fixtures. The Endor Wave and Naboo Waves will be on display, but they want to sell the common-passer-bye on purchasing the Very-Hard-To-Find Lushros Dofine action figure, not to mention Holo-Ki-Adi-Mundi and 4 different versions of Darth Vader (or whatever they're up to). Basically stuff they have in retail stores now. That does make sense.

The presentation will be attended by only die-hard SW collectors from the big 3 websites no doubt. There Hasbro will show their 2007 stuff to people who will actually care. I dont know if Steve will be able to take good pictures off their Proxima projector they usually use. If so, they still won't be as good as the shot Steve could get by putting his camera 1 ft away from Lushros Dofine in Hasbro's booth. But if there's a Utopau Airborne Trooper shown in the presentation - or the Sith Infiltrator itself - it will NOT be in Hasbro's booth.

Plus I'd attend. If you ask for the Sailbarge or Owen and Beru in front of a large audience and that gets a round of applause, it seems to have a greater impact on getting through their blinders than if you approach them in person at their booth and ask them privately.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2006, 12:12 AM
but they want to sell the common-passer-bye on purchasing the Very-Hard-To-Find Lushros Dofine action figure, not to mention Holo-Ki-Adi-Mundi and 4 different versions of Darth Vader (or whatever they're up to).
Wait, I see these at my stores all the time... I gotta get there early tomorrow morning to buy them, all of them. I'll be rich, rich I tell ya! So long, suckers!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally quoted by Comic Con

But, on more pressing matters...
Hooray! Check it out here:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/Sat. and Sun. are up now. I think I am decided on my day to go; Friday's programming is better, IMHO.

Tycho
07-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Tycho's definitive Comic Con Schedule:

SATURDAY, JULY 22 (not as great of day - I'll be sleeping in and going late)

1:00-2:30 Hall H - Kevin Smith - Clerks 2. I'm so there. Party-on Jay. Party-on Bob!

LUNCH - who's coming?

4-5:30 Room 24A - action figure customizing

5-6:30 Hall H - Ghostrider with Nick Cage, Eva Mendes :love:, and Spider-Man 3's Sam Raimi -Spidey will be looked at too.

DINNER

8:30 - 11 Room 20 (need to pick up free tickets for this event first - available from 4:30pm on) - the Comic Con Costume Masquerade - this is always fun!!!

SUNDAY, JULY 23

10:30-11:30 Room 6B - Star Trek's Walter Koenig (Chekov) - I might check this out if I can make it on time. Otherwise, there are usually deals to be made in the dealers' rooms on Sunday, and it's a great day for shopping.

Other than this, there's not a whole lot of reasons for me to go on Sunday.
Plus I might need to drive SirSteve to the airport.

stillakid
07-09-2006, 03:43 AM
Eva Mendes :love:,

She and I just talked this evening on set. :thumbsup:

2-1B
07-09-2006, 04:15 AM
stillakid, next time you talk to her please ask if she signs herself or if she pays a secretary to do that. I have a few signed photos from her through the mail that I want authenticated. :D

- people that look really sad dressed up in homemade, unprofessional costumes

Cheers to that, I love getting my pic taken with people wearing costumes of that nature. :D

El Chuxter
07-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Like the one really skinny guy who'll be dressed up as Spider-Man every year, and his junk can be sighted from a mile away even if your back is turned? :eek:

stillakid
07-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Cheers to that, I love getting my pic taken with people wearing costumes of that nature. :D

I have a costume of myself that I wear when I go out, but it's homemade. :(

Tycho
07-14-2006, 06:21 AM
I am going to go to Comic Con disguised to look like a nervous wreck.

Oh, right: I will be a nervous wreck.

Myself included, there are going to be 6 people staying here in a 2 bedroom apartment: 2 girls, 4 guys (including me).

I'm staying with one of my lady friends in my room. Another girl is taking a couch. Steve has the bed in my guest room. And Steve wants 2 other guys that help him run ActionFigs.com to be able to put inflatable beds down in my living room (I doubt there's room for anything like that in either of my bedrooms - what with queen-sized beds in there already). Fortunately, there's 2 bathrooms and one of the girls says she's consistently getting up early and leaving to go down there to the Con for early conferences as she works in the toy industry (not for Hasbro). Thank goodness there's 2 bathrooms. On most days I'm leaving last because except for Friday and Sunday, my programs I want to attend don't begin until after lunch. So I'm sharing with the girls because I know they'll take forever, but I'll usually be in no hurry.

Now I'm not sleeping good as it is. I may have to have a few drinks or buy some wine or something for my personal consumption in order to knock myself down for the evening. As it stands it is 4:15 in the morning and I still haven't been able to crash. But I can entertain myself by hopping on the computer - but not while Steve is staying in this room and trying to get some sleep. (I could take this room and put him up in my room - but if you guys want all the updates for those not going to the Con, he'll need to be able to get on the computer here and though he'll have his laptop, I'm sure he'll appreciate my mainframe and a larger keyboard - I hate typing on my own laptop and never text message for the same reason).

Anyway, it will definitely be an experience. I've only usually had 3 houseguests at most. 5 is only 2 more, but before I had my living room and kitchen for personal use even after my company went to bed. Now the living room will become a bedroom and I'll have to either stay in my room, or be very, very quiet. (said in best Elmer Fudd voice)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I have a costume of myself that I wear when I go out, but it's homemade. :(My avatar shows me in my homemade Jedi outfit (from May '99?!? :eek: ). Judge me by my quality, do you? ;)

BTW Tycho, I thought you lived in the SD area. Why don't you use your place just for sleeping and head in each morning?

Tycho
07-14-2006, 01:36 PM
BTW Tycho, I thought you lived in the SD area. Why don't you use your place just for sleeping and head in each morning?

We are. I just don't sleep very well - and I'll sleep worse with company.

I have been ill and if you recall, I almost died last summer, so my rest is important to me.

Top that with the fact that I usually have to nap, so it would benefit me to sometimes sleep in late (if it's quiet enough here) and just head in to the Con in time to make the panels I want to attend.

I do not run around to dealers at the conventions and try to buy thier over-priced merchandise. I'm also usually always up-to-date, so they have nothing I want. Since I'm not a collector by the completist definition - you'll likely not catch me in lines for exclusives. (They suck anyways)

So if I don't get really sick, and I do get enough rest, I'll be fine.

plasticfetish
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
But I can entertain myself by hopping on the computer - but not while Steve is staying in this room and trying to get some sleep.Mr. Comenzo is gonna be sleeping like a baby after loooong days walking around that convention center. I wouldn't worry too much. (He's probably gonna want to use his computer also... the master control center does it all.)

I wish I could come down Tycho. I'd love to sleep in your living room also, it sounds like fun. :)

stillakid
07-16-2006, 04:21 PM
What is this year's ComicCon Convention Exclusive from Hasbro?

plasticfetish
07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Where have you been? (Working and writing a book?) ;)

Look over >> here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=33&p2_articleid=114).

stillakid
07-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Where have you been? (Working and writing a book?) ;)

Look over >> here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=33&p2_articleid=114).

Amongst other things. :)

Thank you! I'm driving down Thursday night after a full day of work so I probably won't make it in time that day to get one...then I work all day Friday...which leaves Saturday AM. They shant run out... :sur:

Blue2th
07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
So, what is the advantage of going on preview night? Can you buy the exclusives without the long lines? Less crowds but less stuff? Hasbro won't be setting up their SW stuff till Thurs. will they? Just what goes on during preview night that's not going on the rest of the time?

stillakid
07-16-2006, 07:36 PM
So, what is the advantage of going on preview night? Can you buy the exclusives without the long lines? Less crowds but less stuff? Hasbro won't be setting up their SW stuff till Thurs. will they? Just what goes on during preview night that's not going on the rest of the time?

Hookers, brew, and those minature hotdogs on a stick.

El Chuxter
07-16-2006, 07:54 PM
On Preview Night, you can look around. Most companies aren't actually selling, especially not exclusives (although there may be some). You can come up with a game plan for the next day, but I'm planning to save on parking.

Blue2th
07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I suppose that would be a good enough reason, if you wanted to find things easier. Get a jump on exclusives. Which there will be alot of I'm sure. Parking must be a B**ch.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2006, 06:35 AM
I suppose that would be a good enough reason, if you wanted to find things easier. Get a jump on exclusives. Which there will be alot of I'm sure. Parking must be a ( :eek: ).I remember lines for the Conv. Center parking lots that reminded me of the clone troopers at the closing of AOTC. You can find some of the daily lots a bit farther away but they have virtually no lines (and slightly higher rates).

Tycho
07-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Use the trolley!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Hear zun eye dee uh (a.k.a. "here's an idea" :D )... who's going when to the 'Con? We could make an ongoing list (just copy the last list and add your name), that way if anyone's looking to meet up with fellow SSGers, they'd know what days they're there.

Thursday, 7/20:

Friday, 7/21:
Bel-Cam Jos

Saturday, 7/22:

Sunday, 7/23:

Tycho
07-17-2006, 11:23 PM
All days: Tycho!:crazed:

I am bringing my insanity with me.

Turbowars
07-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Parking isn't a problem as long as you know what you are doing. 1st time there was a nightmare. People were following other people to parking lots that turned out to be dead ends. The key is to get there early.

Tycho
07-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes. Now it depends where you are staying. If you want, you can just come down to Old Town and park there and ride the trolley in.

If you have a hotel within walking distance, you might take the things you buy and store them there.

plasticfetish
07-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Parking... if you get there reasonably early, the parking garage over by the stadium is easy enough to get into. It's a short walk over, or you can pay one of those bicycle hacks to give you a ride.

OK.

If you guys are going, and have a digital camera, I expect photos to be posted here. Not the same old pics of toys and cr*p that we'll see on every site... though you'll really only need to look here and over at actionfigs.com. ;) I want to see some great candid shots and all sorts of photos of you guys posed with costumed convention heroes. (Like the photo of my son with his new "parents" below.)

I'm putting up a thread (OK, there's one there) over at Actionfigs.com for the same thing. Good pics, and maybe I'll post 'em up front...

:)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-19-2006, 02:26 AM
late request: mad props to anybody who snags me a 501st trooper. lol I'm gonna try to order this bad boy from hasbro's site, although i don't see it working. :crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
So, the list is so far:

Thursday, 7/20:
Tycho

Friday, 7/21:
Bel-Cam Jos
Tycho

Saturday, 7/22:
Tycho

Sunday, 7/23:
Tycho

Wow. That's a lot. :rolleyes:

Tycho
07-19-2006, 12:46 PM
SirSteve will be there the whole 5 days, counting Sneak Preview Night.

Dexoyirbunucleic (Becky) will be there the whole 5 days as well.

I've got ReeferShark, Turbowars, ElChuxter, and Stillakid also logged as going.

So counting yourself BCJ, that's 8. I'm sure there will be more. 6 locals from my own collecting circle will be there. 2 of my lady Star Wars friends - this is making 16 now. A friend or two from the San Diego Star Wars Society (moreso costume enthusiasts, some collectors) - that makes it up towards 18. I will know a lot of people!

I wrote out a schedule of events I plan to attend, and I'm getting everyone's cell phone number (my schedule is above IN THIS THREAD) I will just go and follow it, whomever is interested in doing what I'm doing, call me or join me and I'll have a seat for you.

All of you guys BETTER be at Hasbro's presentation, Room 2, 11:30am, Friday.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM

So counting yourself BCJ, that's 8. I'm sure there will be more. 6 locals from my own collecting circle will be there. 2 of my lady Star Wars friends - this is making 16 now. A friend or two from the San Diego Star Wars Society (moreso costume enthusiasts, some collectors) - that makes it up towards 18. I will know a lot of people!

All of you guys BETTER be at Hasbro's presentation, Room 2, 11:30am, Friday.I knew that... just being sharkastic. :D
I am planning on driving down about 9am, going directly to Room 2 at 11:30am, and then driving home. :p (see y'all there... )

Joshkj
07-19-2006, 01:25 PM

I wrote out a schedule of events I plan to attend, and I'm getting everyone's cell phone number (my schedule is above IN THIS THREAD) I will just go and follow it, whomever is interested in doing what I'm doing, call me or join me and I'll have a seat for you.

All of you guys BETTER be at Hasbro's presentation, Room 2, 11:30am, Friday.

HEY what about me! Tycho ill be at the SDSWS booth on sat afternoon 2-3 and sunday alot!
Edit: Ill be there all 5 days, heres my cell (760) 390-3764 just in case.

El Chuxter
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
HEY what about me! Tycho ill be at the SDSWS booth on sat afternoon 2-3 and sunday alot!

What's SDSWS? Not being sarcastic, but I really don't know.

Slicker
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
What's SDSWS? San Diego Star Wars Shop?

plasticfetish
07-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Sad Dog Swims With Snakes?

stillakid
07-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm leaving LA around 1 ish Thursday. Should put me in San Diego around 4 I hope. I want to get my exclusive if nothing else. I have to shoot all day Friday. I'll be the camera shmuck following the cast of ACCEPTED around. I'll try to make it again Saturday. It all depends on how much I get to see on Thursday.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2006, 11:19 PM
What's SDSWS? Not being sarcastic, but I really don't know.As a serious guess, I would go with "San Diego Star Wars Society," but humorously I'll say "Sandwich Display and Stupid Window Shoppers."

plasticfetish
07-20-2006, 01:20 AM
From the Art Asylum MySpace blog, photos of the life size Mach 5 (Speed Racer) as they unpack it >> HERE (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=62629307&blogID=146532548&Mytoken=F192E88B-0238-4C6E-AB0C898586A17670590746515).

Turbowars
07-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Well so far hasbro's booth sucks. SS is stealing the show followed by GG.

plasticfetish
07-20-2006, 02:01 AM
No big shock that...

figrin bran
07-20-2006, 02:06 AM
so what happened to the live SSG coverage that was promised on the front page? :(

plasticfetish
07-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Not sure to be honest. I'd been at work from 6-9... just started checking a bit ago. maybe some technical problems. I really don't know.

Turbowars
07-20-2006, 02:10 AM
The same place all the hot inside info is at.:yes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Well, did anybody attempt to get a 501st stormtrooper from the assinine hasbroshop? What a pain in the a--. I had one in my cart and the logging on section kept crashing and whatnot. I had one in my cart and kept trying to log in and soon was told they were sold out. such BS. Then again, i wouldn't expect anything less from Hasbro. :mad:

stillakid
07-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, I popped in for a few minutes after the 4 hour drive from LA.

The MR Falcon is pretty cool. Huge. I have no idea where I'd put the thing. The AT AT is just so so. For that much money, I expected more. I asked about the Vader Reveal and the very nice Rep said that it's on a list but nothing is for sure. They expect to do more Original Trilogy stuff within a couple years for the 30th anniversary.

The new Hasbro stuff is pretty cool too. I'll go back tomorrow for work, but I don't think I'll have a chance to browse. Maybe Saturday.

And I think I saw Tycho there but wasn't sure so I didn't shout out. Was looking for you Bec... :love:

Turbowars
07-20-2006, 10:19 PM
I'll be there tomorrow and Saturday so if anyone wants to meet up give me a PM and we can get #'s.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I am planning on leaving here tomorrow at 5 am :cry: to try and miss some of the bad SD traffic, :cry: get settled and parked, :cry: wait in line to get my pre-reg'd ticket, :cry: so I can wait in line to get the freebies and exclusives I'm looking for. :cry: But before you think I'm moanin' and groanin' 'bout how bad it's gonna be, I'm gonna have fun there! :D

Tycho
07-20-2006, 11:10 PM
And I think I saw Tycho there but wasn't sure so I didn't shout out. Was looking for you Bec... :love:

I got there about 3 o'clock today and spent an hour looking for a Tag & Bink SW comic I'm missing (Dark Horse Comics themselves are taking care of me on that), then I went upstairs for Hasbro's Transformers panel which was amazing actually (mostly because of what Sony pictures brought to it with their updated DVD release of the cartoon movie), then I went to a forum with McFarlane, Diamond Select, SideShow, etc - where they discussed the current state of the toy industry and took Q&A's. Very interesting. I then met up with my friend Kristel near the comic book area in the dealers' room, then left, catching a very over-crowded trolley.

I will be easiest to find tomorrow in room 2, sitting right next to SirSteve, myself wearing a black SirStevesGuide.com staff shirt. There we'll be getting as much information about Hasbro's plans for Star Wars in 2007 as possible.

stillakid
07-20-2006, 11:53 PM
I got there about 3 o'clock today and spent an hour looking for a Tag & Bink SW comic I'm missing (Dark Horse Comics themselves are taking care of me on that), then I went upstairs for Hasbro's Transformers panel which was amazing actually (mostly because of what Sony pictures brought to it with their updated DVD release of the cartoon movie), then I went to a forum with McFarlane, Diamond Select, SideShow, etc - where they discussed the current state of the toy industry and took Q&A's. Very interesting. I then met up with my friend Kristel near the comic book area in the dealers' room, then left, catching a very over-crowded trolley.

I will be easiest to find tomorrow in room 2, sitting right next to SirSteve, myself wearing a black SirStevesGuide.com staff shirt. There we'll be getting as much information about Hasbro's plans for Star Wars in 2007 as possible.

Ah, yes. That was you. That must have been Kristel you were walking with. You looked tired and ready to go.... I picked up my 501st Troopers and left soon after.

Reefer Shark
07-21-2006, 12:29 AM
I just got back from my first SDCC, it was great, and pretty much exactly what I expected. Turbo is right, Sideshow and Gentle Giant OWNED Comic Con far as Star Wars goes.

Hasbro had some cool stuff (liked those poster packs, and a few titaniums were great too), but most of the new ships were still covered in black cloths, even today! What's up with that?? Hasbro's shop was also a total mess, took me over six tries to even get in the line for the 501's (but I finally got mine).

It was great, I saw some really cool stuff, I'm tired, and now much more poor.

Here's a pic of me a and a few new friends:

Tycho
07-21-2006, 03:24 AM
That's a great picture ReeferShark! I mean really great.

Stillakid, I do get very tired these days. After I posted while I ate dinner, I went to bed at like 10:30 or so. No one staying with me had come home yet. (I'm not running a hotel here! I'm actually sort of ticked off right now). My friend Halley came in right before midnite and she's passed out on the floor. There's no sign of Kristel (she has a key though). And SirSteve and his buddies from ActionFigs.com are still out (and staying out if they can't wake up either myself or Halley) when they get back. Once I'm ready here, I take very strong sleeping medication - especially when I have to be at Hasbro by 11:30 tomorrow morning.

So I'm still considered a medical outpatient and have to rest. Thus I'm not running a hotel here.

In any case, if today was any indication, I won't last until Master Replicas' or Gentle Giant's parties tomorrow night. Those who definitely want to say "hello" should come to Room 2 (upstairs, first hallway) and attend Hasbro's SW presentation. You'll see me, plus next year's early waves of action figures. What could be better?

2-1B
07-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Did anyone grab any of the Topps Evolution P1 promo cards they were handing out? :confused: If so, I'll trade a figure per card or something...I'm looking for two copies of it.

Thanks. :)

Reefer Shark
07-21-2006, 01:42 PM
That's a great picture ReeferShark! I mean really great.

Thanks Tycho, you can tell I was having a good time! That was on preview night. There were so many more costumed people yesterday, but I had my hands full (literally) and couldn't really take any more pics. I really wanted to get one with Elvis-Stormtrooper - he was awesome!

btw: I got your PM, sorry we couldn't hook up. It just got so busy so quick, I didn't even get a chance to think about it. I did run into Bluesnags a few times though, that was cool!

Did anyone grab any of the Topps Evolution P1 promo cards they were handing out? :confused: If so, I'll trade a figure per card or something...I'm looking for two copies of it.

Thanks. :)

Sorry Caeser, I didn't see any freebie topps cards. I'll check with my nephew (I brought him along). If he has one, I'm sure he'll give it up since either of us collects cards.

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 03:02 PM
so what happened to the live SSG coverage that was promised on the front page? :(Technical difficulties, evil airlines, and... well, isn't that enough? ;)

Tycho
07-21-2006, 11:38 PM
so what happened to the live SSG coverage that was promised on the front page? :(

I am incredibly tired right now. However, I have several articles I'll be contributing, perhaps after a nap:

Hasbro's presentation (break out the Clones - and not just of figures :rolleyes: )
Del Rey Books' presentation (Legacy of the Force)
Dark Horse Comics' plans for the future (4 on-going series!)
Lucasfilm's Mega-Star Wars Spectacular (new evidence that Han Solo shot first!)

jjreason
07-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Can't wait to read about the Hasbro Q&A, Tycho, I was there with you in spirit. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Well, my entire day was spent in activities related to C-C, and except for one perhaps-to-be-upper-cased rant, it was awesome! If I'd known you wanted cards (I didn't even know Topps was gonna give away SW cards), I'd have snagged one for you, Caesar; it was an Obi-Wan "P1" for a new updated-for-Episodes 2 & 3 Evolutions set (due in early Aug.).

I went to these SW panels:
* Hasbro (loved the April '07 Wave ;) pics, hated the aspect of exclusives as always :mad: ),
* model making (some technical glitches meant no Q&A time but awesome shots),
* books (I asked them about their work with the Dark Horse Legacy comic writers and got a free unprocessed book cover! but alas no beans spilled this year on upcoming projects that weren't supposed to be revealed yet :rolleyes: )
* trivia (I get creamed every year... first question I was out... who writes this stuff? :p )
* Steve Sansweet (that place was HUGE, but most seats were good due to the big screens all over, some cool stuff to look forward to next year and beyond; Indy on the bridge was morbidly hilarious! ).

The line for Hasbro's booth was a JOKE. I was in the first group let onto the floor after waiting in the upper floor lines, so I was about 5-8 minutes there and they closed the line off, but used the arcane and incorrect term "end of line" instead of "line is closed." I then proceeded to have a brief "exchange" with the obviously frustrated employee about improvements. I'm not normally a shouter/arguer, but that was stupid, especially the "there are plenty of them, they won't sell out this weekend, come back later" line. My bad humor faded quickly as I roamed around to soak in the experience.

I got to talk a bit with the Topps guy (nothing big or unique), but weirdest part was I was about to ask it the line forming was for the Lucasbooks panel, and a guy was talking about this book with Lucas on the cover about the films being on trial (oddly titled Star Wars on Trial :o ) and I happened to be using that as my wait-in-line reading material, so I said, "you mean this book?" and showed it, saying to make sure you have an open mind about the opening section 'cause the writer's a bit rough on the movies. Turns out the guy himself was that author (David Brin) and I talked with him for a few minutes. Cool.

I got some cool stuff, talked with some cool people (forgot to mention I spoke with Loren Patterson's publicist about his upcoming [i]Sculpting the Galaxy book on models), saw lots of cool stuff. On a scale of 10 to 1, I'd give it a cool! (can't always be held to proper scales)

Tycho
07-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Bel-Cam Jos, I was there and witness to you asking your great question (it was a good idea!) but didn't turn around to see you so I had no idea what you looked like or else I would have said hello.

Today turned into a bit of a disappointment. I got on the trolley headed for the convention and after it had departed the station at my residence, I realized that I didn't have my admission badge on me. I hopped off at the next exit, but it is extremely hot and actually humid (for a beach city?) here in San Diego today. I was sweating having only just gotten out of the shower and when I went back to my apartment to grab my badge, I changed my clothing immediately. Then I decided to stay in the air conditioning and sit today out.

I wanted to see Kevin Smith whom folks lined up early for I'm sure. He's on stage right now. Tonight is Ghost Rider with Nick Cage and Eva Mendez. I like the latter, but I know nothing about Ghostrider. I think I will wait to see the movie rather than brave the heat just to be teased. Tonight's also the traditional costume contest, but I think many of my guests want to come back home and relax, so this year I'll survive missing it. Oh well.

I have some articles I have to post to update you all from yesterday (Star Wars Day). It's nice and quiet here right now. I really like silence.

plasticfetish
07-22-2006, 05:05 PM
evil airlines, and...Oh, don't tell me they lost something...

Then I decided to stay in the air conditioning and sit today outDon't over do it man... it's hot out there.

JediTricks
07-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh, don't tell me they lost something...You could say that... they lost his seat on the plane. Nice, huh?

We have been doing live updates since Thursday, Steve and I coordinated a lot of live stuff from the floor of the con all yesterday (he's there, I'm in LA doing links and news and stuff), and we announced live from the Master Replicas party the Signature Edition Millennium Falcon last night, then today announced live the Ray Park Training Video with Force FX Saber.

plasticfetish
07-22-2006, 05:29 PM
That's so air-lame of them.

So... has the instant image posting (as he shoots 'em) thing been working? I thought that was a cool idea.

Tycho
07-22-2006, 05:33 PM
That Harrison Ford signed for Star Wars is awesome! Especially THAT amazing piece!

That I missed Ray Park because I stayed home due to a little hot weather sucks beyond belief....grrrrr.

You guys better appreciate the news stories I've been writing for you from Comic Con's Friday events or else I can still swing my MR lightsabers very hard even without Ray Park's training. Hehe.

Blue2th
07-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes. Now it depends where you are staying. If you want, you can just come down to Old Town and park there and ride the trolley in.

That worked really well for me the 2 days I was there. The small inconvienience of transfering from the blue line to the orange line or vise-versa was hardly a bother. They didn't even check for ticket stubs, so I could of rode for free, but I'm not that way. Thanks for the info Tycho.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Bel-Cam Jos, I was there and witness to you asking your great question (it was a good idea!) but didn't turn around to see you so I had no idea what you looked like or else I would have said hello.

I have some articles I have to post to update you all from yesterday (Star Wars Day). It's nice and quiet here right now. I really like silence.What, you mean you couldn't read the size 12 font on my badge that said "Bel-Cam Jos" from 20 feet away? :rolleyes: I figured there were SSGers around, but alas, I did not officially meet any of them.

Sorry to hear of the trials you endured today, but your articles have been great. We appreciate your input to the site. Get better, now! :)

dr_evazan22
07-23-2006, 01:02 AM
A couple of questions to ask at ComicCon:

What's going on with Code 3? I don't see anything new. And by 'new' I mean a replica or model, not those 3D mini posters.

For MR: We've heard of QC issues with the helmets, yet 2 of the original 3 are still on display. Can they still be ordered? Where can the Shock Trooper helemt be ordered?

thx

JediTricks
07-23-2006, 03:11 PM
A couple of questions to ask at ComicCon:

What's going on with Code 3? I don't see anything new. And by 'new' I mean a replica or model, not those 3D mini posters.

For MR: We've heard of QC issues with the helmets, yet 2 of the original 3 are still on display. Can they still be ordered? Where can the Shock Trooper helemt be ordered?

thx I'm afraid if you want those asked at Comic-Con, you'll have to wait until next year, you asked the questions *after* the con ended. :ermm: They're good questions, I'll see if we can get comment from Code 3 on that one when they get back, and you should post the other in the MR forums.

Tycho
07-24-2006, 01:52 PM
I didn't even see Code3 at the Con, but I didn't really look for their stuff.

Darth Cruel
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
LOL - Tycho...what the hell does that have to do with Comic-Con?

Edit - oops never mind.