PDA

View Full Version : Sandtrooper (Escape from Mos Eisley)

Deoxyribonucleic
06-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Articulation: This is the exact same body as used from the VOTC Stormtrooper, belt and all. Ball joint head, shoulders, elbows, knees and feet. Upper torso has articulation but no waist articulation...looks like the whole torso is one piece with a belt and holster around the middle. The black pauldron around the neck and shoulders is loose enough that it does not hinder movement from the head or arms which is a plus.

Paint App: Overall, not too bad. Unlike the Evolutions version of the sandtrooper (looks like he fell in a mudhole) the "sand" is subtly applied to the chest, torso, forearms, hands, legs and top of the head. Unfortunately they forgot to put it on the feet so they look a bit out of place.

Accessories: The holster - holds the blaster pretty good, especially if you put the hand near it to hold it down. The Pauldron (removable if you take the head off) is like the evolutions one except it's all black so not much to tell there, except that it fits well and is not overbearing to the figure as a whole. The blaster is the standard Imperial issue blaster that hasbro has been using for quite some time now...it works fine for me. The Backpack is the same one used from the Evolutions trooper with slightly different paint apps. There's a nice copper glow to the entire thing which makes it look metal but definitely used in the sandy outdoors. The staff is all new and looks great in hand (but it's darn hard to get in the there). It's grey and dusted with metallic silvery paint, not bad for an accessory, with a brown leather wrap area where it's supposed to be held. The last accessory is the binocular that sits at the back of the belt. THis little guy is removable, no paint job and the bad thing about it is that you can not have it on the belt at the same time the backpack is on, so you can either have it in his hand or somewhere off of him where it might get lost.

Overall: A+ There's really no way to make a better figure unless it was a real 3.75" human being with sandtrooper armor and it almost looks like it could be. :thumbsup: This is definitely going to be a hard one to find as everyone will be wanting to have these as army builders, so if you see one, don't pass on it!

plasticfetish
06-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Right on! I've had the Evolutions Sandtrooper on my desk for ages now, but I just put him away because I know I'm gonna like this one better. Wish there was room for them all on the desk, but space is limited, and this one sounds great.

TheDarthVader
06-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I hope I can manage to find a few of these. The sandtrooper sounds like an excellent figure. Thanks for the review! :D

Dark Marble
06-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know if this one will fit on the dewback?

Deoxyribonucleic
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know if this one will fit on the dewback?

Unfortunately as articulated and fantastic as this figure is, he has no thigh joints so he can't sit on the dewback. If you move his knee joints to try to get him on, it looks like he has to go to the little dewbacks room. But the knee joints aren't enough, needs to be ball joints on the thighs...ah well, at least the one that came with the dewback isn't all that bad.

mtriv73
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Great review.

This is definitely the best sandtrooper yet. If Hasbro kept shipping it, I would keep buying it just to build my ST army.

mm74md
06-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Great review.

This is definitely the best sandtrooper yet. If Hasbro kept shipping it, I would keep buying it just to build my ST army.

I agree. I just wish they had variations on the pauldron. That would have made a real UGH figure

Luuuuuuke
06-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I now have 3 of these. I only want about two more, max--so why the heck I passed on two last week is beyond me. The only thing I don' t like about this figure is the hips don't allow for more movement. It would be nice to be able to pose these or the VOTC stormtrooper in a crouching position as if they're shooting and ducking at the same time. But it is a great figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2006, 11:38 AM
I really love this figure - it's the VOTC stormtrooper, with more accessories, and for a few bucks less.

Where was the staff in the film? I don't remember it.

Devo
06-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I think that staff is carried by the Dewback sandtrooper. A slightly more accurate seeming accessory than the plain black pole we got with the Dewback.

Great figure, it looks fantastic next to the Evolutions orange pauldron trooper. I think I'll buy a few more of these for different sandtrooper scenes and to have some dirty tatooine regular stormtroopers too.

El Chuxter
06-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Wow, I wasn't even looking for this, since I assumed he was yet another Commtech body. I'll have to find one now. Or two. Or ten.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-23-2006, 12:29 AM
The last accessory is the binocular that sits at the back of the belt. THis little guy is removable, no paint job and the bad thing about it is that you can not have it on the belt at the same time the backpack is on, so you can either have it in his hand or somewhere off of him where it might get lost.I just put the backpack on upside down and then I can fit both. :)

plasticfetish
06-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Grrrrr... figures from this wave turned up at my TRU at last, but the Sandtrooper (the only one out) had a crazy weird paint job on his face... so I passed (for now.)

JON9000
06-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Wow, I wasn't even looking for this, since I assumed he was yet another Commtech body. I'll have to find one now. Or two. Or ten.
Good luck with that, because I have found zero!

figrin bran
07-02-2006, 07:04 PM
they retooled the holster a little bit from the VOTC stormie and made it a bit bigger. however it's still one of those "facade" holsters and on the other side there isn't anything. i just wonder why hasbro makes complete holsters for some figures and not others.

El Chuxter
07-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I did finally find one! :)

The pics show the backpack on upside down. Flip it over, and you should have no trouble with the canteen thingy.

Old Fossil
07-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't care much for the holster, but the figure is great otherwise. Nice that Hasbro gave us an option of backpack/no binoculars, or no backpack/binoculars, like some of the Sandtroopers were in the film. This and the Evolutions trooper hold the old POTJ Sandtrooper's binoculars just fine, thankfully.

I especially like the figure's card, which shows the fight at Docking Bay 94. Hasbro did nearly everything right with this entire wave!!!

vulcantouch
07-03-2006, 10:39 PM
isn't it actually a thermal detonator? on that note, if anyone buys multiples of this fig i may be interested in trading for one one of your spare t-d :)

Rogue II
07-07-2006, 05:20 PM
This is a very nice figure overall, but the one I got has a loose chest joint and his feet are too clean.

mastermatt24
07-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Its an alright fig but come on- THE EYES SUCK!!! I dont know if this was what PF was referring to, but all of mine are stupid looking. They all have those googly-eyes with the rounded edges that dont look right. On all of mine the black paint comes all the way up to the black line, where its not supposed to. But other than the crappy eyes, the figure is alright, I even bought a couple extra to customize.

plasticfetish
07-08-2006, 01:27 AM
On all of mine the black paint comes all the way up to the black line, where its not supposed to.That's exactly it. I haven't bothered to look around for another one of these, but it's no good hearing that someone else is seeing the same problem.

figrin bran
07-08-2006, 01:58 AM
I agree. I just wish they had variations on the pauldron. That would have made a real UGH figure

all you have to do is switch pauldrons with the evo sandtroopers. the heads and pauldrons on both figures fit perfectly on each other.

mastermatt24
07-08-2006, 02:11 AM
That's exactly it. I haven't bothered to look around for another one of these, but it's no good hearing that someone else is seeing the same problem.
Heck- even the ones online look screwed up to me. I just went to look at my votc stormies- even those were messed up! I hate to say it but I like the comtech one the best- who cares if you have the greatest articulation, if the face sucks, imo, it wrecks the rest. :o

vulcantouch
07-08-2006, 10:04 AM
-you said it! but luckily i was able to custom-combine increased articulation w/my commtech, so i didn't have to choose between a great face and a limber body (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13345&d=1138250080) (a desireable combo on dames too of course :lipsrsealed: :thumbsup: :love: )
so, anyone have an xtra thermal-det they wanna trade (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=29708) me yet? :)

mastermatt24
07-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Heck I guess that does work- I just dont have enough extra comtech heads to go around.. I may just have to sculpy and paint.

BTW- the dead cactus adds a nice touch (haha) to the desert theme! :cross-eye ;)

vulcantouch
07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
-in that case you may wish to partake of our ongoing honorific effort (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/printthread.php?t=26170&page=2&pp=38)- iirc dee had at least a dozen comtek stormies, some bagged for $2 each which, as link makes clear, would be the price you'd pay :)
vt (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=453158&postcount=637)

seanmcfripp
07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
The detonator fits in the the hollow part of the backpack, if you're looking for a place to store it.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-12-2006, 12:32 PM
The detonator fits in the the hollow part of the backpack, if you're looking for a place to store it.

you're a genius :thumbsup

THANKS much, it fits perfectly and now I don't have to put in my weapons bin, can keep it on my troops person...perfect!

:)

jjreason
07-12-2006, 04:55 PM
I was so looking forward to getting this trooper - you guys are hinking me out!!! :(

The first reports were so optomistic, I've GOT to keep hope alive until he gets here. :D

JON9000
07-25-2006, 09:51 AM
I was so looking forward to getting this trooper - you guys are hinking me out!!! :(

The first reports were so optomistic, I've GOT to keep hope alive until he gets here. :D

He's great. His paint apps are not quite as good as VOTC Stormie or POTJ Sandy, but he is SA and comes with super-cool accessories. Definately one to pick up!