PDA

View Full Version : News about online TRU-exclusive preorders

JediTricks
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I posted an article earlier today about TRU's website splitting from Amazon, here's the forums version: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31763

Anyway, I also followed up with TRU directly and they got back to me with interesting news. First off, I wanted to know if their new TRU.com would be carrying TRU-exclusives, it seems like they obviously would but Target and WM sometimes don't put their exclusives on their websites - luckily, TRU said they will be offering their exclusives online as well as in stores.

Secondly, I asked about what will happen with current preorders of Hasbro SW TRU-exclusive items, Amazon will stop handling those orders come July 1st which is less than a month away after all. TRU says that anybody with SW exclusives preordered who do not have their orders filled by July 1st will be getting an email letting them know what to do - what that means at this point, I am not sure, but TRU is aware of the situation and will be doing *something* about it.

Luuuuuuke
06-06-2006, 06:58 PM
That could be good news. It can't get any worse than it was ordering from Amazon, that's for sure.

Reefer Shark
06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, no kidding.. it can't get much worse than Amazon/TRU (unless you count Kebco).

Now is TRU's chance to redeem themselves in the online shopping game, let's hope they make the best of it!

TheDarthVader
06-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Lets hope that TRU is going to be reasonable when charging shipping. I don't like paying for inflated shipping charges at some of these on-line toy shops.

tagmac
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Hopefully it will be easier to order figures once this change takes place. Would be nice if they'd also update the lists and make figures easier to find on a search than they are now. Not to mention, I'd hope to see an increase in the amount of stock available.

dindae
06-07-2006, 01:42 PM
It would be nice to see a store that has enough buying power like TRU make a really great online store but I don't see it happening. The focus for them will always be making the stores profitable and the online stores seem to be an after thought. But at least they do make their exclusives available online which is better than the rest.

K M Toydarian
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I really hope the change will mean no more "Used and new" items from "Amazon Marketplace" sellers. There are currently 1366 matches for Star Wars in the Toys and Games category! Most of them are secondary market sellers that Amazon lets use the site. You have to scroll for days to find actual Toys R Us current merchandise, and then it's probably "Currently unavailable". There is so much old stuff that shows up from Brian's Toys. Even though some may be reasonably priced, let sites like ebay, or other secondary market places handle that kind of fare.

Hopefully TRU will stick with new, current merchandise, with the same prices as in the store.

dindae
06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
I went to TRU today and they informed me that they will no longer accept any return without a reciept after June 12th. I assume this is a nationwide thing but I didn't ask. It will probably help the store in the long run but it is kind of annoying since I never keep reciepts. But it does keep collectors from returning a bunch of crap to the stores even though there is nothing wrong with it.

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes, they've had that policy posted on all the registers in my area for months. They've been real crappy about collectible returns for the last few years because of scalpers, I'm kinda hoping this will counter that problem.

Reefer Shark
06-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah... I actually think this is a good thing for collectors since most of us here don't buy toys with the intention of returning them. Scalpers most definitely do that... Only problem is that they could just take the toys and return them at another store like Wal-Mart, or Target, etc.. (except TRU exclusives of course)

mtriv73
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I think that returning things to (actually from) other stores was actually part of the problem. People were buying things from Wal-mart or Target and returning them to TRU without a receipt. For most things, you make an instant buck or two. For that amount of money, it wouldn't be worth my time, but there are some weird people out there.

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Here, what happens is unscrupulous or unknowing employees would sell cases of SW or Hot Wheels to scalpers, and then when scalpers couldn't sell some of the pieces to suckers they'd take them back to TRU half a year later (or more, I've seen several years out of date returns a lot lately) without a receipt and get credit.

Reefer Shark
06-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Here, what happens is unscrupulous or unknowing employees would sell cases of SW or Hot Wheels to scalpers, and then when scalpers couldn't sell some of the pieces to suckers they'd take them back to TRU half a year later (or more, I've seen several years out of date returns a lot lately) without a receipt and get credit.

Thanks JT,
That's what I was trying to say in my post earlier. Unfortunately, I'm not very articulate sometimes ;)