PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst 12" Figure poll

Pages : 1 [2]

tagmac
09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the thread, Boba. While it's too late to vote on most of the past waves, feel free to participate in the next few votes coming up before we reach the end of the line.

JediTricks
09-05-2006, 09:35 PM
BEST: Boba Fett, although his rubbery plastic and stupid clear-banded packaging meant bent viewer arms on every helmet. Also, his jumpsuit was originally the blue color I believe because Hasbro's factory goofed and kept using the fabric from the Saga 12" Jango figure.

WORST: Luke Skywalker, how could they ask for $30 for this POS? How could they ask for MONEY for it???

Jaff
09-06-2006, 01:40 AM
BEST - Chewbacca pretty much for the same reasons Tycho said. This Chewie was a surprise to me, and it's the best one made to date.

WORST - Luke

Bosskman
09-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Best - Chewie
Worst - Luke

(although chewie was the only one of these I got)

tagmac
09-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Here are the totals for the OTC wave:

Best:
Boba Fett, OTC - 3
Chewbacca, OTC - 3

Worst:
Luke Skywalker, OTC - 5
Chewbacca, OTC - 1

A little vindication for Chewie here, who already took two worst figure votes earlier on. However, we do have a tie here, meaning there will be more "best" figures to vote for in the run-off than "worsts."

And I've updated the Wave 2 results to include bobafrett's votes.

Best:
Princess Leia w/ Speederbike - 2
Yoda w/ Lightsaber - 2
Ewok 2-pack - 2
Biker Scout - 2

Worst:
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight - 5
Ewok 2-pack - 2
Princess Leia w/ Speederbike - 1

This has made it a four-way tie for best figure in this wave, and so I will include all in the final run-of vote before the single Ep. 3 wave. I don't think this tie is the result of any of those figures really being that great, but more the mediocrity of the latter, pre-Ep. 3 figures instead.

Tycho
09-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Is there a single Episode 3 wave? Or since figures like the lady Jedi shipped later, could that count as 2 waves?

Still, I'd see your point if you figured that wouldn't make much of a difference because we'd need at least more than 2 figures to vote on.

tagmac
09-06-2006, 11:55 PM
This marks the final run-off vote before we get to the Episode 3 group of figures. Since there were only 6 new figures, I will group them together for one vote. The winners will then join all the other top choices from the previous run-offs for the final best/worst vote.

Here are the best/worst figures of group 4:

Best:
Lando in Skiff Guard Disguise
Garindan
Princess Leia w/ Speederbike
Yoda w/ Lightsaber
Ewok 2-pack
Biker Scout
Boba Fett, OTC
Chewbacca, OTC

Worst:
Han Solo w/ Quick Draw Action
Jawa 2-pack
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight #2
Luke Skywalker, OTC

Best: For me, I have to go with Boba Fett, OTC, although Lando in Skiff Guard Disguise is a very close second. The rest of these figures were just plain mediocre, and I just couldn't justify voting for the Biker Scout since it had already won before. I love Chewie, but he too wasn't as good as he could have been.

Worst: This one a bit of a toss-up for me, but I have to go with Luke Skywalker, OTC here. The lipstick look really got me, even more so than the paperweights they tried to pass off as Jawas. Han and Jedi Luke weren't great, but were hardly as bad as the other two.

Tycho
09-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Easy voting:

BEST: Lando Skiff Guard

WORST: OTC Luke Tatooine

Jaff
09-07-2006, 04:01 AM
Best - Lando in Skiff Guard Disguise

Worst - Loverboy Luke Skywalker, OTC

Bosskman
09-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Best - Chewie
Worst - Han

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
BEST: Boba Fett VOTC

WORST: Luke VOTC

tagmac
09-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Bumping this thread up for the weekend. I'll update with the totals on Sunday night.

tagmac
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I'll let this go one more evening, to see if anyone else would like to participate in the run-off vote.

Tycho
09-11-2006, 12:07 AM
I'll let this go one more evening, to see if anyone else would like to participate in the run-off vote.

But we're dying with aniticipation about discussing the next wave (ROTS if I'm correct).

Meanwhile, I've written an entire thesis about the Hasbro 12" features that was inspired by you Tagmac! I can't wait to lay it out.

tagmac
09-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Heh heh....can't wait to see it Tycho. I didn't think it would be a fair run-off with only 5 people voting, but at this point, I guess that's all we'll get. I'm at work now, so I'll post the ROTS wave this evening. Sadly, it will also be the last wave discussed, with one final run-off coming afterward. We'll be done with this thread by the end of the week, I figure. :cry:

Tycho
09-11-2006, 01:27 PM
A good thing can't last forever sometimes. This went much farther than a similar thread about 7" Unleashed would have. The "Battle of the Machines" worked pretty well back in the day (my fun version of doing this with 3 3/4" vehicles), but such are the facts of life. I'm trying a playset discussion thread if you've noticed.

It's funny, but we're about ready to grow up and start discussing the money we're saving better-late-than-never, and a stock-trading tip thread will be next :D - It couldn't really hurt anyway.

I bought a bit of Hasbro stock (well a good quantity anyway), and plan to hold it through the pre-sales of Spider-Man and Transformers merchandise for the movie promos, then decide to sell it after I'm into capital gains deductions time, probably close to the Christmas 2007 sales time (Sep-Oct or November '07). You want to buy low and sell high. I assume the stock may drop for a 1st quarter '08 slump or even a 4th quarter '07 slump, but I'll get out before then, selling while it's worth something. It's just an experiment. I hardly will put all my eggs in Hasbro's basket, LOL.

But it's just something else I'm thinking about while I'm not buying too many toys.

tagmac
09-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I hear ya'. I've curbed my figure buying big time over the last two years, and with all the rehashes coming up, I don't see myself buying all that much anymore, save for the occasional brand new figure, and a Sideshow Chewie, should they make one.

tagmac
09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Well, here we go. The results are in for the fourth run-off vote, and here they are:

Best:
Boba Fett OTC - 2
Lando Skiff Guard - 2
Chewbacca, OTC - 1

Worst:
Luke Skywalker, OTC - 4
Han Solo w/ Quick draw action - 1

Voting for this group will remain open for the next two days, to see if we come up with a single winner before the final run-off of all the previous best/worst winners.

tagmac
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
April - May, 2005

Well, here we are - the final set of brand new 12" figures that Hasbro would ever produce. April 2nd brought us the final midninght madness, and the release of four brand new figures from Revenge of the Sith. These were followed up one month later with the final two 12" figures, a boon for those who wanted to add to their Jedi collection.

Clone Trooper (ROTS) - This was a decent figure that was made more like the OTC Stormtrooper. The head wasn't oversized, nor was the weapon, and the armor wasn't nearly as chunky as its predecessors. However, this was not a generic clone, but instead was meant to be Commander Neyo, only with the wrong facemask, thanks to the red "Cobra" symbols adorning the figure's armor. This was essentially the Target exclusive in 12" form.

Darth Sidious - The head sculpt and costume on this figure were amazing, a fitting tribute to the ultimate villain. Unfortunately, the hood was a bit flimsy, and wouldn't stay on the figure properly. The lightsaber was also a bit clunky, and wouldn't stay in his hand very well. Overall though, this was a pretty good figure, easily better than many of the ones we'd gotten in the pevious two years.

General Grievous - This was the one everyone wanted, and yet it could be considered a mild disappointment. I wouldn't call it a horrible figure, as the sculpt was amazing and certainly holds up when compared to other Hasbro 1" figures. Unfortunately, the lightsabers was clunky, and the figure wouldn't stand well, nor hold it's sabers properly without support. Even so, this was a must-have. And thanks to Suncoast putting out Ep. III merchandise early, I scored all three of these figures four days ahead of time (along with Luke & Obi-Wan unleashed), making for a much easier time of loading my cart at midnight madness. Considering this was the only 12" figure of the set that did not sit on shelves for long, I was glad to have nabbed it early.

Darth Vader (Ultimate Villain) - This one I skipped out on, although it wasn't that bad of a figure. I just didn't see the need to get another 12" Anakin, and had no plans of putting on the Darth Vader accessories, since I thought they paled in comparison to the previous incarnations of Vader. Still, the inclusion of multiple accessories, and a charred Anakin head were a nice touch, and this figure had excellent playability for children, even if it wasn't the greatest figure to pose.

Shaak Ti - The head sculpt on this figure was great, as was the costume. The large lightsaber hilt was a bit of a disappointment, but didn't take away from the quality of his figure too much. Although tough to find at first, this one surprisingly warmed shelves later on.

Barris Offee - An interesting choice for the final 12" figure, considering she had no screen time in ROTS, the quality of this figure was outstanding, along with Shaak Ti. Again, the large saber was a bit of a disappointment, but the head sculpt and costume more than made up for it. I made sure to get both of these female Jedi as soon as I found them.

Best: This is a tough one, since the quality of these figures was all pretty good. I'm going with Shaak Ti here, since the only complaint I have about this figure is the large saber hilt, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

Worst: I'm going with the Clone Trooper (ROTS) here. Out of all the figures, this one was the biggest missed opportunity. This should have either been generic and plain white, or the blue 501st Trooper. The Cobra Trooper was the least interesting of all the clones created, and didn't need to be immortalized as a 12" figure.

On a side note, rumors were that Hasbro had planned to release one more wave, which would have included Aayla Secura. It's too bad they didn't, as I think that would have been another good figure to close out the line with - although I could see Sideshow making up for that eventually.

Tycho
09-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I want Aayla Secura in a SideShow 12" myself - as well as Luminara Undulli, Agen Kolar, and SaeSee Tiin, and maybe Pablo Jill. Some of the Jedi would make great figures!

For the BEST: General Grievous! I've never opened him - but will be doing so shortly as my 12" Obi-Wan is on its way from SideShow to fight him. SS said they had no plans to make Greivous, as they typically use a standard body type, and clothe it. The General is a one-of-a-kind deal. I believe Hasbro's had separable arms to get the 4 lightsaber attack down and a nice cloth cape. With no SS in sight, this is the one 12" I'm really glad to own.

I bought multiple Palpatine's however - to use in various scenes - however I returned one or two after I discovered he wore different outfits and didn't include multiple heads to match his appearances in ROTS. I'm really hoping that SideShow's first figure of him will be in his red outfit from his duel with Mace Windu. But my Palpatine I opened had a hood that stayed up and he looked really good! They did a great job on this figure and I love it much more than 1998's Emperor figure that Hasbro did. (Except the talking feature on the Target exclusive figure was great!)

For the WORST: Anakin / Vader change-a-rooni. Yeah, it's accessory overkill and based partly on the 14" Vader I so covet from 1998. But I mentioned before how important the head sculpt was to me and I bought the SideShow just because I wouldn't display my SS Obi-Wan anywhere near this p.o.s. The 2 heads and all the accessories were a great idea - but the sculpt work on one of the major protagonist characters was terribly lacking. It was like Michael Bay made it. I was really looking forward to this figure and planned (and did) buy 2 of them - but I was so disappointed. Here is where Hasbro really killed my being a fan of their 12" collection for me. I was so thrilled SideShow was taking over the franchise (even though I think they hit and miss as well).

I imagine that in another year or so we'll be able to rate some SideShow figures, but for now, not enough of them have ever shipped. But the thread's not over yet.

Tagmac is doing a great job with this. It's been a fun time.

Bosskman
09-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Best - Clonetrooper with Shaak attack as a close second

Worst - Grievous

I gotta completely disgree with you Tycho. This Grievous is just that - GRIEVOUS - as in it causes ME grief. He can't hold his sabres AT ALL with his 4 arms out, he, WAY too small (not just short, small, except for his pea sized head, he's pretty well proportioned but put him next to any other figure and you'll see he's way too undersized) Tycho dude, if you haven't opened him yet, then you probably don't know about this stuff yet so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think he's gonna look good with Sideshow Obi at all.

I still have hope for a sideshow one. After all, Jabba isn't exactly a standard 12 inch figure body.

JediTricks
09-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Not that I'd vote for him, but you left off KB-exclusive ROTS Chewie.

BEST: Grievous, he is very very flawed (articulation, forearms fall off, paint should be better, can't hold his sabers well, hip-bar is a copout), but he has the right look and I love his cloak and none of the other entries here garnered my favor at all.

WORST: Ani/Vader Villain, what the hell were they thinking using that old Joe body, if nothing else it's not tall enough. The Ani headsculpt is horrendous, and the Vader armor is all out of scale and looks ridiculous.

BTW, I think it's a bit unfair to give worst to the Clone because the markings are wrong, that's Lucas' fault for showing Hasbro early versions with those markings as the main version I suspect.

And Barriss and Shaak-Ti are still warming shelves at my local TRU, even at clearance price. :p

tagmac
09-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I left him off because he is the exact same figure as OTC Chewie. All they did was change the packaging and give him the wrong weapon (Tarfful used the rifle in ROTS). no need to re-vote on this one.

Jaff
09-13-2006, 02:40 PM
BEST - I like Barris Offee, and Shaak Ti because I just love Jedi 12". I like the grievous cape, but dislike the fig because of the same reasons everyone already said. I guess I'll go with Shaak Ti.

WORST - Darth Vader/Anakin - If all of the items in the package was proportioned properly and the body of Anakin and his head were different this might have been a great 12", instead it's a dud.

tagmac
09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Lower turnout than usual, which is surprising considering this is the last (and most recent) group of figures. Looks like i'll have to wait one more day before going to the final run-off.

JediTricks
09-14-2006, 11:22 PM
funny, most of the past 4 years of 12" could be described as "run-off"... sewer runoff. :p

tagmac
09-17-2006, 11:28 AM
LOL! True that! :D

tagmac
09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, a week has passed, and so there's no point delaying the inevitable any further. I had hoped for a better turnout, but what can you do.

Here are the totals for the ROTS wave. Surprisingly, no love for Palpatine here.

Best:
Shaak Ti - 2
General Greivous - 2
Clone Trooper - 1

Worst:
Darth Vader (Ultimate Villain) - 3
Clone Trooper - 1
General Greivous - 1

tagmac
09-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Well, we are down to the final run-off vote to determine the best and worst of the Hasbro 12" line. Wfile Sideshow likely beats out even the best figures here, these were clearly the best of a line that started out awesome, ended on a high note, but unfortunately tended to decrease in quality as time went on, unlike the 3 3/4" figures that have improved drastically with age.

Here are the final contestants:

Best:
Han Solo w/Tauntaun
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike
Zuckuss
Lando Skiff Guard
Boba Fett OTC
Shaak Ti
General Greivous

Worst:
Chewbacca (furry)
Chewbacca (13")
Padme (Episode 2)
Luke Skywalker OTC
Darth Vader (Ultimate Villain)

This was a tough one for me. some really good ones in the best group, and some really bad ones in the worst group. However, I've got to make a decision,so here goes.

Best: Biker Scout w/Speederbike. As much as I wanted to vote for Han/Tauntaun, i'm one of those "blue coat" fans, and so the brown coat was the tie-breaker for me. Lando ranks right up there, but when looking at the Scout posed on the bike, I remember this being one of the must-haves just because it looked so cool. Zuckuss was great, but the head was a little big. Greivous and Shaak Ti good figures as well, but they were hurt by their lightsaber issues. As for Fett, he was nice, but didn't really stand out that much to me.

Worst: This was much easier. As bad as both Chewbacca's were (the head on the furry version always did impress me), as annoying as big-headed Padme was, Luke Skywalker OTC was THE worst figure I've ever seen! That Ken-doll, lipsticked look was an insult to collectors - heck it was an insult to Mark Hamill himself! Of all the worst figures, this one at on the shelf the longest, even longer than Treebeard-bacca, who comes in a very close second. Vader, to me, wasn't all that bad, but I never did buy it, and I can see why a lot of collectors were unimpressed with it. The lack of a Jedi robe further hurt this figure, but not enough for me to rank it the worst overall.

Jaff
09-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Best:
Han Solo w/Tauntaun - Brown coat....Well, besides that this is a example of how Hasbro had the 12" down at one point in time. Who ever thought we would see a Tauntaun in 12". If you told me that in 1995 I would have never believed you.
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike - Hmmmmmm.... As Tag has said, this was the one to get.
Zuckuss - Next to IG-88 this is my favorite character concept in the Star Wars films. I thought the 12" was a very honerable nod.
Lando Skiff Guard - This 12" is wonderful, but his joints are not firm enough to pose him. He also doesn't hold the magic that the first three figs listed.
Boba Fett OTC - Yeah, yeah, I still like the electronic version the best.
Shaak Ti - Awesome, but not the best.
General Greivous - Detail issues, but cool figure.

Worst:
Chewbacca (furry) - Seseme street Chewie is really bad.
Chewbacca (13") - I'm one of the few who actually didn't mind this figure.
Padme (Episode 2) - I really didn't like this one
Luke Skywalker OTC - Luke is comming out of the closet was just another useless, desperate rehash. This figure is proof that there was no management of the 12" figures. It's no surprise the ball was dropped and now sideshow sells 12" for three times what hasbro does and we are happy to pay for their effort.
Darth Vader (Ultimate Villain) - I don't hate or love this version of Darth.

BEST - I know Zuckuss won't win, but I still think this is the best 12" ever made, even over my sideshow 12" (of which I have all). No, I'm not crazy. If I was to hold this fig next to the Biker Scout I would still pick Zuckuss. If I was to view Zuckuss against the Biker Scout and his Bike I would have trouble picking Zuckuss. Yet in the end I would never be able to part with Zuckuss. I just adore this one.
WORST - Chewbacca (furry). At least Luke's accessories and wardrobe looked correct. This Chewie did not look right in any way except for his two accessories. Luke came with more!

Tycho
09-19-2006, 02:17 AM
BEST: Bikerscout with Speederbike. There's really no contest. This is one of THE most perfect Star Wars items ever produced. I'm not one of those "big on Scout Trooper fans - their cool, but not the epitome of Star Wars that they are for some people. I just think this product was immensely superior to a lot of Star Wars items right down to its packaging! Just a perfect set. There's no change I could even conceive of making to it!

WORST: the competition was tougher here, but Furry Chewbacca has to take the title. He's not an action figure! I'm always worried that the coat hanger wire in him will break one day, as when I had moved, I had to repose him just so he could stand (with a lot of funny double-join adjustment to the legs that you can't tell I have going on because of all his fur). But really, to take the title of worst, he had tough competition....

Additional comments on the Worst:

Chewbacca (13") - he was too skinny, the sculpt hindered his articulation, and the same articulation made him look bad. How did Tree-Barka pass quality control? They must have thought we'd buy anything. Unfortunately, I did buy this one. Wished I waited for the 15" that KB carried in '04 as their OTC exclusive - but who knew then (in '99)?

Padme (Episode 2) - large head, strange plastic hair mixed with "real hair." Barbie body that can't stand, pose, or grip her gun well. Could have come with a Battle Droid Blaster as well as her Naboo pistol for added value.

Luke Skywalker OTC - I didn't buy this one and didn't even really look at it. The last thing I needed was another Tatooine Luke. Everyone else says its Drag Queen Skywalker. I'll take their word for it. I am nostalgic for the box though. Nice packaging.

Darth Vader (Ultimate Villain) - This is the Anakin / Vader switch-a-roo from ROTS? I've never opened either of mine (bought 2 for 2 different "scenes" (Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, and Anakin vs. Dooku). I may still open one and set up the 2nd of those (the Invisible Hand Fight) - but I bought a SideShow figure because I couldn't have this Anakin near Kenobi, even though I was slightly disappointed in SS's quality on their final product (but only slightly).

To end my voting on a more positive note, concering "the other best" as voted on here:

Han Solo w/Tauntaun -This got me into 12" collecting. I was going to ignore this line before, but when I saw an Action Figure Digest or Toy Fare cover with this set on the cover, I immediately went out to a K-Mart I knew which had the original group of figures sitting, bought all of them except that terrible "Honey I Shrunk My Helmet Darth," and got Lando, Luke, and the Tusken at Toys R Us. I totally remember that day. I was on board for the 12" line for sure then. As a matter of fact, I didn't open any of the figures I bought until after I was secure with my own 12" Han TaunTaun set - because if I couldn't get that at retail, I was going to return the whole lot of them and save a bunch of money.

Zuckuss - I love having all the Bounty Hunters! I'm not their biggest fan like some people are, but I had to have them in the 12" size. I mean, except for Fett, they didn't do much so I don't understand why some people really get into them - but having them in 12" size allowed me to actually use my imagination and play with mine (yeah I'll leave out how old I was when I got the last of these figures into my collection in 2003 or so) but they were awesome and I had their 12" versions on my wish list for many years (see the old SSG wish lists of mine in the Year in Review articles we do every January). However, Zuckuss didn't impress me as much as did Bossk, IG-88, Dengar, and especially Electronic Fett.

Lando Skiff Guard - This 12" is almost perfect. I think his helmet might be slightly too large for his head, but this is a nice figure, my favorite Lando, and I was really excited to get him. I always wanted a 12" Nikto for him to fight, too!

Boba Fett OTC -
Yeah, yeah, I still like the electronic version the best. - Which is why I really didn't look at this one that much.

Shaak Ti - The actress that played her (Orli Shoshan I think) is so hot! I would have preferred her "action figure" out of costume I think. I have a nice picture of her in her underwear too - which many of you recall I used on the SSG in Exile spot on MySpace. I didn't think too much about Shaak-Ti's E3 figure. She was cut out of the movie and as such, her figure's release made little sense. I'm glad I have it as I'm assembling a 12" Jedi Council the best I can (it'll have to be E3) and include SideShow figures obviously - but she wasn't that impressive.

(Time for Tycho to LIST something. E3 Jedi Council (prior to Shaak-Ti's death):

Obi-Wan Kenobi - replaced Oppo Rancisis
Yoda
Mace
Ki-Adi Mundi
Plo Koon
Agen Kolar - replace Eeth Koth
Kit Fisto - replaced Depa Billaba
SaeSee Tiin
Pablo Jill - replaced Coleman Trebor - replaced Yarael Poof
Stass Allie - replaced Adi Gallia
Shaak-Ti (replaced by Anakin Skywalker) - replaced Yaddle
Even Piel

General Grievous' 12" - last but not least: excellent sculpt and great 4-arm attack poseability, but still lacking in efficient articulation as well as lightsaber grip. Sort of loose joints, difficult to stand (darn - I forgot again to pick up a doll stand for him! But really nice cape!

Bosskman
09-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Best - Zuckuss Who would have thought, but man is he a sweet figure. My Hasbro 12" bounty Hunters are put away with my other remnants of my once great 12" collection, but they're not goin anywhere. Zuckuss (and Bossk) are my 2 faves, but I never thought ol Zuckuss would be in the running for best figure EVER in both 12" and 3 3/4" forms. Awesome.

Worst - Mrhankybeefjerkytreebeardbacca - no explanation required IMO.

JediTricks
09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
BEST: Biker Scout, no question in my mind that out of that list this is the top set, it just delivers so strongly on everything it's asked.

WORST: Padme Ep 2, somehow this POS sticks out in my mind more than any of the others, even TeddyBacca. It just looks awful.

Jaff
09-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Best - Zuckuss Who would have thought, but man is he a sweet figure. My Hasbro 12" bounty Hunters are put away with my other remnants of my once great 12" collection, but they're not goin anywhere. Zuckuss (and Bossk) are my 2 faves, but I never thought ol Zuckuss would be in the running for best figure EVER in both 12" and 3 3/4" forms. Awesome.

Worst - Mrhankybeefjerkytreebeardbacca - no explanation required IMO.

Mrhankybeefjerkytreebeardbacca......

Ha, Ha, that's funny. I'm gonna use this line to describe this 12" from now on. Cartman would be proud.

tagmac
09-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I know i've really sat on this thread the last two weeks, with longer time between updates, but I was really hoping to get more votes. I will post the final vote on Monday, in the hopes we'll get a few more posters to join in.

Slicker
09-22-2006, 04:29 PM
BEST - Biker Scout w/ Speeder Bike

WORST - Furry Chewie

TheDarthVader
09-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Best is Biker scout and worst is padme ep2.

tagmac
09-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Well, here we are. The final tally for the best and worst Hasbro 12" figures of all. Here are the numbers:

Best:
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike - 5
Zuckuss - 2

Worst:
Chewbacca (furry) - 3
Padme (Ep. II) - 2
Luke Skywalker OTC - 1
Chewbacca 13" - 1

tagmac
09-25-2006, 06:55 PM
And the winners are:

Best:
Biker Scout w/ Speeder Bike

And a worthy best of winner this one was. The figure was of perfect scale, awesome quality, was highly detailed, and featured one of the better Trooper figures that Hasbro would produce. The figure was perfect for displaying on it's own, or in a diorama, and the packaging featured a background that could easily be customized for just such a display. This was the kind of quality we expected from Hasbro, and sadly, didn't get too often. All of the runners up in this vote were worthy, as were such greats as Han w/ Tauntaun, Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder, and the original Obi-Wan Kenobi & Jawa figures. However, this is the one we voted for, and very few non-Sideshow products come close to what we got.

Worst:
Chewbacca (Furry Version)

What can I say - a perfect opportunity that Hasbro didn't just drop the ball on, it jackhammered it through the center of the Earth and deflated it on. This was everything a 12" figure wasn't supposed to be - namely, a stuffed animal! As my favorite character, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Chewie here (and face it, OTC Luke was pretty bad, and certainly deserved it's runner-up status), but I certainly can't disagree with why people voted for it. I, like many I'm sure, looked forward to this figure big time, was ticked off that it faced three delays, only to be shortpacked when it finally saw release. Then, after having to battle the scalpers to finally obtain one, found that it wasn't the solid, fur-covered body we were expecting, but a coat hanger wrapped in fur, with only the head looking worthy of the 12" line. I admit I bought both all three pre-OTC versions of Chewie, but words can't express how much of waste this figure was. the lollipop-barbie heads were bad, but in a line where people expect action figures, teddy bears simply don't cut it. The fact that it was both shortpacked, and likely the only version of a 12" Chewbacca we all thuoght we were gonna get, is why Hasbro was able to get away with making his thing. I only hope Sideshow finally gives us what we want down the road, so that I can pose a perfect 12" Chewie next to my Bespin Han.

tagmac
09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Well guys, I has been a pleasure putting this thread together for you all, and I have to admit, i'm gonna miss posting here. Thank goodness there are so many 3 3/4" figures, that Jaff's thread will be going for a while to keep things going. Shame we couldn't get the same turnout here like we do in that thread, but I think that's a testament to just how much the popularity of this line dropped over the years, not to mention the fact that the death of the line entirely last year probably drove a lot of people from this entire section of the forums. I probably didn't help things with some of my longer layovers between updates these last few weeks, but what can I say - that's what happens when life picks up in the fall. It's all good, though.

Jaff, thanks again for the release date info, as it made my job that much easier, as it was harder to find accurate release dates for many of the later figures. Tycho, thanks for your large input on each grouping of figures. It's always good to get the input of fellow longtime boardies.

To the rest of you, thank you for joining in the vote, and for helping make this thread a success (hey, if enough people respond to this, we'll make 30 pages - not too shabby :thumbsup: ). I don't know how often I'll be in this section myself now, as I'm not really collecting the Sideshow figs (got Bespin Han, and I'm on the wait list for Kenobi, but barring a release of Chewie, Bespin Leia, or a Snowtrooper, I doubt I'll be buying too many of these), but I'll check in to this section every once in a while. Otherwise, I'll see you guys in the 3 3/4" sections, and I'll still be particpating in Jaff's thread, which should produce some pretty interesting results when that one ends.

Thanks again, guys. Hope you guys enjoyed voting as much as I enjoyed posting here.

- Tag :)

Tycho
09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh how I've been waiting to list my 12" Figure "Thesis." Please see Tagmac's final vote tally above.

What I have been doing while this poll was being conducted, is monitoring which figures of characters I think have been done the best. I'm actually doing the same for Jaff's 3 3/4" figure poll, but those results look to be perhaps months yet in the making.

Meanwhile, my lists are not totally completely accurate to my feelings, due to some tough competition in certain waves. However:

The BEST

Han Solo - I loved the Hoth one on TaunTaun and the Endor Gear one may have unjustly advanced on my list due to weak competition in his wave. The original one wasn't that bad, but had lost out in my opinion to a far superior Alec Guiness Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Luke Skywalker - The X-wing Pilot and Endor Gear Luke on Speederbike were most excellent for accessory, a decent sculpt, etc. The FAO Exclusive Jedi Luke from the 2-pack deserved better, but something knocked it out from my own personal standings (for this poll anyway). The Jedi Luke is better than the Han Endor, for example. Many of the original headsculpts and yellow hair paint jobs ruined other Luke figures.

Princess Leia - not ONE Leia figure ever impressed me that much really. The FAO Slave Leia wasn't bad, but its easily worn down bikini straps, overall fragile feel, doesn't win points. The Boussh costume was also good (first KB Toys version). But Leia just doesn't score. Tagmac didn't have us review the Collectors' Dolls, and that Yavin Ceremony Leia was great. Oh well though.

Chewie - agreeably a bad execution in most forms for this collection. The KB Toys OTC 15" stands out as acceptable though.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (sequel and prequel) - Obi-Wan had some of the best figures. His original from the very first 12" wave holds its own! A really great figure. His TPM figure actually looked something like Ewan McGreggor, in spite of almost no other figure Hasbro produced accomplishing that until the Pilot figure from E3.

C-3PO and R2-D2 - the droids got the short end of the stick. I don't recall if Electronic TPM Threepio was offered in this poll, but that was a fun figure. Meanwhile, I regretfully turned down R2 with Tools, but suspect that was the best version of him ever done.

Darth Vader - the original 14" talking Electronic Vader was the bomb. This is perhaps one of the best figures in the 12" line and always will be. I love this figure and it shows by how many I bought of him (4, not counting that he was essentially repacked as that E3 Anakin figure).

Stormtrooper - the execution was just never on with this character type.

Lando - the skiff guard figure is incredible. This was the 12" line done right. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he's definitely good!

Boba Fett - the KB Exclusive Electronic Fett was very cool and the right scale. I barely looked at the OTC stuff, but I think I'll stand by the '98(?) figure.

Yoda - was never done for the "Action Collection" to my satisfaction. Perhaps the one that comes with the Wal-Mart exclusive Luke Dagobah is better - I never opened that pack?

Palpatine - there were better figures in this line, but the Electronic Talking one from the Target 2-pack was fun. The ROTS version wasn't that bad though.

Qui-Gon Jinn - didn't really score points with me for any figure.

Anakin Skywalker - I liked the AOTC padawan version. The costume was right and I don't think the appearance was so off. It's a good figure (the first version - the later "action feature one" sucked!)

Padme - since the Portrait Editions weren't counted, nor the girls' toys, I'd have to say that no Padme figure pleased. In the other 2 categories, the Tatooine "braid her hair" figure and the Purple Return To Naboo Queen were awesome! Also the Padme in her hanger battle outfit that came with Qui-Gon as a Factory 2-U exclusive (I think) were really great figures. I think her only mainline figure was that terrible AOTC version which very closely borders on being the worst of all time, but is saved by how bad Chewbacca turned out.

JarJar - nothing wrong with his figure. I'm just not a JarJar afficianado.

Darth Maul - wow! 2 of his figures (the regular and Sith Speeder Wal-Mart exclusive) are just terrifyingly terrific! They did a great job on Maul.

Mace Windu - the first one was very good and came with a cloak.

Count Dooku - an awesome 12".

Jango Fett - the Ultimate Bounty Hunter - really impressive and nice accessories! A masterpiece.

General Grievous - nice cloak. His articulation's pretty good but his construction is slightly weak via material choice. And you better use clear bands or else he won't hold his weapons - and a stand if you want to display him loose. He's cool when you first open him, but you lose some patience with him as time goes on. (but not all patience - he's one darn fine 12")

Random Jedi - Plo Koon and Ki-Adi Mundi were both really well done. It appears SideShow has topped Plo Koon as of recently, but these are nice figures. The E3 girls were rather simple by comparison.

Random Bounty Hunters - Bossk and Dengar stand out as too cool. IG-88 lacked a little articulation and sturdier construction.

Random Imperial Troopers - The Snowtrooper and Bikerscout were great. The Death Star Trooper / variable to Imperial Officer was a welcome addition. I don't think Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, or Clone Troopers were ever handled as well.

Random Rebel Troopers - there weren't any really. Wedge and Biggs were OK, but were really just new headsculpts on the original pilot-Luke's body.

Random Battle Droids - none stand out really. Articulation was severely limited and got worse by the time of the Super Battle Droid.

Random Aliens - The Tusken Raider, Garindan, and the Ewok 2-pack won some of Tagmac's polls for me (in my opinion). I think maybe Captain Tarpals got cut out early as well.

Random Jabba Thugs - Bib Fortuna was great. The Gamorrean just needed twisting wrist or forearm articulation. A Weequay or Green Nikto would have been so nice - or Tessek, Ree-Yees, Oola - it goes on. Jabba Thugs were totally under-represented in this line. I hope SideShow's Scum & Villany Line respects them more - especially as indications go with that huge Hutt they're making!

tagmac
09-25-2006, 08:38 PM
C-3PO and R2-D2 - the droids got the short end of the stick. I don't recall if Electronic TPM Threepio was offered in this poll, but that was a fun figure. Meanwhile, I regretfully turned down R2 with Tools, but suspect that was the best version of him ever done.

Yep, I did get them in there. The fact that they were among the first rehashes really hurt them, I think.

Padme - since the Portrait Editions weren't counted, nor the girls' toys, I'd have to say that no Padme figure pleased. In the other 2 categories, the Tatooine "braid her hair" figure and the Purple Return To Naboo Queen were awesome! Also the Padme in her hanger battle outfit that came with Qui-Gon as a Factory 2-U exclusive (I think) were really great figures. I think her only mainline figure was that terrible AOTC version which very closely borders on being the worst of all time, but is saved by how bad Chewbacca turned out.

The awesome quality of those Padmes and that Leia is exactly why I chose not to incorporate them into the poll. They were advertised as a separate line, and were of a quality on par with Sideshow and those collectible dolls that you find in doll shops. These were such great figures, that not even the Biker Scout tops them in overall quality, so I didn't think it would be fair to include them. Actually, this line also saw the one quality Qui-Gon, in the exclusive 2-pack that featued a much taller (to scale) Jinn with a far better face sculpt, and another good Padme in her battle gear.

Count Dooku - an awesome 12".

Agreed, and my initial prediction for the winner. I'm actually surprised it didn't win it's own round, but Zuckuss was a great figure in it's own right.

Random Aliens - The Tusken Raider, Garindan, and the Ewok 2-pack won some of Tagmac's polls for me (in my opinion). I think maybe Captain Tarpals got cut out early as well.

This is where my biggest disappointment came in, as I had really hoped for a 12" Ugnaught, and my wishes were never fulfilled. That would have made for an awesome 2-pack, with a large fersion of the vintage (long-haired w/ tusks) and one of the short haired versions. But we did get that "great" Jawa re-hash instead, didn't we...." :rolleyes: Maybe with a little luck, Sideshow will give us one as an exclusive pack-in with a Lando or Lobot figure down the road, unless they go the 6" figure route as well.

Random Jabba Thugs - Bib Fortuna was great. The Gamorrean just needed twisting wrist or forearm articulation. A Weequay or Green Nikto would have been so nice - or Tessek, Ree-Yees, Oola - it goes on. Jabba Thugs were totally under-represented in this line. I hope SideShow's Scum & Villany Line respects them more - especially as indications go with that huge Hutt they're making!

Agreed. A 12" Weequay would have been over the top. I think we will be seeing a few such characters through Sideshow, but pricing is keeping me away from those. Not even Sideshow Maul, as great as it is, impressed me enough to buy it, and that's one of my top 5 characters.

Tycho
09-25-2006, 08:59 PM
RE: C-3PO

Yep, I did get them in there. The fact that they were among the first rehashes really hurt them, I think.

I meant the wire and struts "naked version" of Threepio that you could pull apart and put back together and have respond to you. So since that was clearly not a rehash, we're talking different figures. I understand you left off most of the electronic figures: JarJar, Qui-Gon, Maul, Jango, Obi-Wan - and most were rehashes of sorts, and not really 12" figures with real clothing, etc. but C-3PO was unique even to what the electronic figures were in a sense of how interactive he was.

Agreed, and my initial prediction for the winner. I'm actually surprised it didn't win it's own round, but Zuckuss was a great figure in it's own right.

Zuckuss should have never beaten Dooku! He's not even over Bossk and Dengar in terms of good figures of Bounty Hunters (though in movie appearance, he's darn cooler than Dengar!) But Dooku's figure looked like Chistopher Lee and that was what it was supposed to do.

This is where my biggest disappointment came in, as I had really hoped for a 12" Ugnaught, and my wishes were never fulfilled.

I would have bought 2 (if different) Ugnaughts for my 12" Bespin collection. I also hope SideShow makes 2 different ethnicities for guards in their military line. While they are not as exciting as Imperials or Rebels, they are cool. I don't think we'd see Ugnaughts as pack-ins if SideShow bothers to sculpt and articulate them -well, maybe if they develop a child sculpt for:

Jake Lloyd
Danny Logan
Ewoks
Jawas
Utai
etc.

Agreed. A 12" Weequay would have been over the top. I think we will be seeing a few such characters through Sideshow, but pricing is keeping me away from those.

The quality hasn't been all that we hoped for - but it is better than Hasbro's.

As far as Jabba Thugs go - man would I like a lot of them! Some of the coolest alien cutthroats come from Jabba's - and many are capable of being done with SideShow's basic body:

Woof (green Nikto)
Klaatu
Weequay
Barada
Nikto (red)
Oola
Ree-Yees (quite re-useable for Senator Ask Aak)
Tessek (quite re-useable for Senator Tiikes)
Sgt. Doallyn (bout time for Hasbro, huh?)
and so forth.

These are just the "normal" body types, not getting into Amanaman, Ephant Mon, etc.

tagmac
09-25-2006, 09:59 PM
RE: C-3PO
I meant the wire and struts "naked version" of Threepio that you could pull apart and put back together and have respond to you. So since that was clearly not a rehash, we're talking different figures. I understand you left off most of the electronic figures: JarJar, Qui-Gon, Maul, Jango, Obi-Wan - and most were rehashes of sorts, and not really 12" figures with real clothing, etc. but C-3PO was unique even to what the electronic figures were in a sense of how interactive he was.

Ahh, ok. I misunderstood you on that one. Actually, I did include that Threepio, but I don't think he got many (if any) votes either way. I didn't include the other electronic figures because to me, they didn't look anything like what the 12" figures looked like back then, like they were cheap copies of the figures we already had, only with electronics added in.

Jaff
09-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Of all, obviously my fave is Zuckuss. The Biker Scout was sweet, and I really liked Bossk, and Dooku. Other faves were the AT-AT Driver, Emperors Royal Guard, and Electronic Darth.

The worst figs, well there were a few that I loathed, but the truth is I don't want to drag the bad ones in the mud once again.

Awesome poll Tag, check your PM, and I enjoyed frequenting it. It's too bad there are not enough 12" collectors speaking their minds about this line. I would have thought this poll would have had a larger turnout.

tagmac
09-28-2006, 05:54 PM
As did I, but I guess the waning interest in the line itself last year and the year before contributed to it. I never wanted to go a week between updates the last three weeks, but I was hoping for a fairer poll. Ah well, what can you do. My guess is a lot of people who used to simply don't visit this section of the forums anymore.

sebillba
02-28-2011, 06:04 AM
I've just read this thread from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wish I'd participated, not sure why I didn't now... probably because I never really saw myself as a collector of the 12" line, I just picked up the occasional one or two if I particularly liked them, or if they were cheap, but I've ended up with around 80 to 90 figures, so I would definitely join in if anyone wanted to run this poll again... maybe there are now other new members who would also like to take part?

My interest in this scale has recently been rekindled thanks to the Sideshow Greedo, and my anticipation of getting SS Yoda, and I've completely re-organised my display cabinets so I can actually see everything I've got now. I was searching for an online archive of the full line, with pictures, when I stumbled across this thread. I never did find a satisfactory archive, does anyone know if one exists? I found one on RS, but it seemed to stop at Ep.1. Having picture links to all the figures would've made this thread even better, as I never saw some of them, and I often didn't know for sure which figures were being voted on, or even which versions of some characters I have myself.

It was fun to read everyone's opinions and memories of these figures, even when I found some figures I'm rather fond of (like quick-draw Han) are so universally hated! It was also interesting to see that some of the figures that you guys had trouble tracking down, or never even saw, I found quite easily... like Plo Koon (though I actually found him while on holiday in Toronto) or the Ewoks/Yoda/Biker Scout wave.

Sadly, the overall victor in this poll (Biker Scout with Speeder Bike), I've never even seen IRL (though I do have the single figure release), but I'm glad I had the good sense to sell off my furry Chewie not long after buying him (another vacation purchase, so I couldn't just return him) - the figure that was voted Worst ever.

For the record, my own personal favourites are probably Bossk, Han/Tauntaun, VOTC Chewie, Bib Fortuna, and maybe Ponda Baba... though I would love the chance to vote properly if anyone wanted to start this up again.

jedibear
03-05-2011, 11:12 PM
It's good to see a little life in this thread again...
That Hasbro 12" collection was fun to collect and when all is said and done, there still a few stand-outs for me that I still display proudly...

Han Solo & Tauntaun: Yeah, the Tauntaun's not entirely accurate, but it still looks great and the Han Hoth outfit is really good.

Bossk: This is just one of my all-time 1:6 scale figures, period. I just like everything about it.

Count Dooku: That head sculpt of Lee rivals much of the high-end stuff coming out today, and the outfit looks sharp. The eyelets in the back of the cape are odd (they were used to wire it into the box) and the lightsaber hilt is oversized (as were all of the hilts in this collection), but this figure still looks great

Darth Maul: The only real thing holding this figure back even now is that almost unposable base body. The sculpt is good, the outfit well-done, A good figure.

...and finally, the only figure I actually display proudly with my Sideshow collection...don't laugh...

Jawa: The push-button light-up eyes are a hoot and the cloak and bandoliers look good. He's currently holding Bubo's leash in my Jabba display...

There are others I still enjoy from this collection and yes, there were some well-intentioned bombs for sure. We'll see if Sideshow ever makes any of their own versions of some of the ones I like, but if they don't, the Hasbro versions still look good...

sergiurusu
03-13-2011, 03:14 AM
I might have to look for a Hasbro 12" Royal Guard.

JediTricks
03-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I might have to look for a Hasbro 12" Royal Guard.Was that ever released on its own? I think it was only released with the Emperor. There's a set on Amazon right now for $32, but I don't know how they'd ship it to you.

sebillba
03-15-2011, 03:31 AM
Amazon.com won't ship toys to Europe (though they do ship dvds, cds, etc). There's a set on ebay for $30 or best offer http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-Electronic-12-Palpatine-Royal-Guard-MIB-/280623508449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415676ebe1 ... postage is $40, but it's quite a heavy set.

Edit: another one, same price, but slightly less postage: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-EMPEROR-ROYAL-GUARD-action-figure-set-/360199631309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dd9231cd