PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst 12" Figure poll

Pages : [1] 2

tagmac
06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
After seeing the success of Jaff's thread on the regular figures, I decided to start up this poll on the original 12" figures. This poll will include the following: Single-boxed figures, Exclusives (beasts, multi-packs, & vehicle packs). I will not be including any re-hashes of figures released in multi-packs that were later re-released as single figures (or vice-versa, as in the case of the Hoth 4-pack & the Japanese exclusives). Minor variants within the same wave (i.e, Luke's hair, Obi-Wan's belt buckle & the dark blue/light blue inserts) will not be included (with the exception of the Tusken Raider). However, if a figure was re-released in a separate wave with minor changes, I will include them. (Chewbacca and Jedi Luke come to mind). Also, the Sideshow figures will not be included in this poll.

Only vote for the figures within each wave. Each list should be smaller than with the 3 3/4" figures, so there should be little confusion. I will try to update every other day, although expect a delay this weekend.

August, 1996

The initial wave of 12" figures hits stores. A poor case-packing decision leads to a popular figure being short-packed, and becomes a boon to the growing scalper "industry" of the time.

Luke Skywalker - A pretty decent likeness of a young Mark Hamill, complete with cloth outfit and removable accessories marked a huge upgrade form the vintage 12" figures.

Han Solo - While the likeness wasn't that great, the outfit on this figure made for the best Han Solo figure up to that point, although the blaster was a bit small.

Darth Vader - Although the height on this figure wasn't to scale just yet, this was an excellent likeness of the Dark Lord. Only complaint here was the lack of a removable saber hilt for poeseability.

Ben Kenobi - A pretty good likeness of Alec Guiness, coupled with layered robes and a cool-looking lightsaber made this figure even more sought-after than it already was for being ridiculously short-packed.

Best: Ben Kenobi, hands down.

Worst: Han Solo (not a bad figure at all, as all were pretty good, but the likeness and the small blaster cost it points)

TheDarthVader
06-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Best Darth Vader
Worst Han Solo

Reefer Shark
06-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Best:
Obi-Wan hands down. It really was a great figure for it's time. The clothes and facial sculpt were great!

I liked Luke and Han a lot too (even though they all had that horrible, buff GI-Joe Hall of Fame body). The outfits were fairly well done, and I really liked Han's belt & holster.

Which only leaves...
Worst:
Darth Vader. Like tagmac said, too short (same height as Luke :rolleyes:), but it doesn't end there.. his pea-sized head was so blarringly out of scale, and this was compounded by the HUGE oven-mitt gloves he had on his hands.

Vader is my favorite SW character, and I remember being so dissapointed when I opened this guy. They didn't even come close to the mark on this one.

Jaff
06-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Best - Ben Kenobi for the wonderful likeness. I still think this 12" looks great.
Worst - I really am not a fan of Han Solo, even though he is displayed. His face just looks terrible.

Banthaholic
06-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Best: Ben
Worst: I like them all, but there must be an answer so Han

Darth Cruel
06-08-2006, 03:04 AM
They all sucked...but Ben sucked the least and Han sucked the most.

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Best: Ben Kenobi, by far.

Worst: Vader, for all the reasons given, this figure sucked eggs.

Dishonorable mention: Luke Skywalker, whose likeness I didn't care for, and his clothes were partly see-through, and his hair was YELLOW. I actually chose this as my "worst" until I remembered why I didn't buy that Vader back in the day, opting instead to wait for anything better and getting the electronic one.

tagmac
06-10-2006, 12:28 AM
I had hoped more people would come in and vote, but this is a good start. Here's the tally so far:

Best:
Ben Kenobi - 6
Darth Vader - 1

Worst:
Han Solo - 5
Darth Vader - 2

February/March, 1997

The promise of the next wave is met with disappointment. Not so much in the quality of the figures, but in that the delayted Chewbacca figure is once again inexplicably left out, and we have to wait another month before the Tusken Raider would start shipping, so stores became flooded with Bespin Lukes and Landos, ensuring that the Raider and the next two waves would be that much harder to find due to stock issues.

Bespin Luke Skywalker - A decent-looking figure, complete with removable jacket to give us Dagobah Luke. Gone was that stupid pink hair variant, replaced instead with a more accurate dark blonde color.

Lando Calrissian - An excellent likeness of Billy Dee Williams, coupled with an excellent costume, the only real problem with this figure was the amount in stores due to only it and Luke being released initially.

Tusken Raider - A month later, we finally get this figure, only with a ridiculous variant to poorly make up for the lack of Chewbacca. Even worse, the accurate Gaffi Stick version was actually the rarer version than the inaccurate stormtrooper blaster/binoculars version.

Best: Tusken Raider w/ Gaffi Stick
Worst: all were great, but Luke ranks the third best.

Turbowars
06-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Best ----Obi

Worst---- Vader

Best -----Tuskin

Worst ----Lando.

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 03:56 PM
I never got the Tusken sadly, so my best vote is for Bespin Luke. Unfortunately for that figure, they packaged his collar down like a normal collar when actually it stands up, luckily it does stand up once you take it out of the package.

Worst: Lando, it's an ok figure but between the color being too dark and the 1980 soft headsculpt they finally got to use 16 years later, it's the weakest of the trio.

Slicker
06-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Sorry, tag. I hadn't seen this poll. :D

Here are my votes:

First poll:

Best - Ben

Worst - Han

Second Poll:

Best - Tusken

Worst - Lando

Reefer Shark
06-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Best:
A hard decision since they were all pretty good (at the time). I'll have to go with Bespin Luke. For some reason, I really liked this figure. Although, he was much improved after swapping out the body with a more slender and poseable GI-Joe body.

Tuskin was really cool too, but he didn't get my vote because of the variant thing. Everyone wanted the Gaffi stick, and that was HTF back then... not to mention you couldn't easily swap his body out like the others (because of his molded hands).

Worst:
They were all pretty equal in terms of likeness and value, but I'll go with Lando since he was the most boring of the bunch.

JediTricks
06-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Ha! I swapped my Bespin Luke's body out too, I ended up swapping it for a 21st Century Toys Ultimate Soldier body. :D

Reefer Shark
06-12-2006, 03:39 AM
Those old 21st century bodies were actually really nice, I still have a few packed away somewhere.

I know a guy that used to sculpt for 21st, and he told me that they sold that body style to Sideshow (who was still a new company at the time). So essentially, you had sideshow bodies on your old Hasbro/Kenner figures lol

Jaff
06-12-2006, 05:02 AM
I was really glad to see all these figs released because two of them were earlier vintage prototypes and the other one was only available in through the super rare mexican exclusive that cost thousands!

Bespin Luke Skywalker - I was happy to get him, but he just didn't look as good as he should. As mentioned before his body was too big, and I had never switched out a body before. That sounds like a good idea today.

Lando Calrissian - I love this 12". I always loved Lando in this outfit, and the head looked like Lando.

Tusken Raider - This one will be the easy winner for me. I had to get the gaffi stick for this fig, and sometimes I find myself staring at this fig over the others.

BEST - Tusken
WORST - Bespin Luke Skywalker

JediTricks
06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Those old 21st century bodies were actually really nice, I still have a few packed away somewhere.

I know a guy that used to sculpt for 21st, and he told me that they sold that body style to Sideshow (who was still a new company at the time). So essentially, you had sideshow bodies on your old Hasbro/Kenner figures lolAnd a MASSIVE melon! :D I'm not surprised Sideshow bought those generic bodies at first, when 21st was getting hit with corporate sabotage (which is ultimately what led to their downfall) the outfits, accessories, heads and paint jobs were poor but the bodies got better and better.

It's funny to see praise for Lando's headsculpt, when it was prototyped back in 1980.

Jaff
06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
It's funny to see praise for Lando's headsculpt, when it was prototyped back in 1980.

Yeah, for over ten years I dreamed of getting my fingers on that prototype. With this wave it finally came true!

tagmac
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Here are the updated Tallys:

Wave 1:

Best: Ben Kenobi - 8

Worst: Han Solo - 6
Darth Vader - 2

Wave 2:
Best: Tusken Raider - 4
Bespin Luke - 2

Worst: Lando - 4
Bespin Luke - 2

July/August 1997

The newest wave a figures finally hits, along with the first exclusive, at a time when the word exclusive meant "rare, scalpers dream" thanks to the limited production numbers, and limit of 1-2 cases per store.

Luke Skywalker, X-Wing Pilot - this was a great figure, with a wonderfully-detailed outfit and accessories. Unfortunately, the giant-helmet detracted from an otherwise great figure.

Princess Leia Organa - after the debacle with the 3 3/4" version of this figure, the 12" version gave us a much better likeness, complete with rooted hair and a good costume. This figure was also somewhat to scale, as it was slightly shorter than the rest.

Stormtrooper - although rather chunky-looking, this was the first attempt at making a more movie-accurate stormtrooper, complete with armor pieces attatched to a black bodysuit. For a first attempt, it wasn't all that bad.

Boba Fett - this was the cream of the crop. Although the head was a bit small, and the colors were a bit bright, the costume was highly detailed, complete with wookiee scalps and tattered cape. This was a must-have at the time.

Han Solo and Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguises - KB Exclusive
These were baiscally the same figures as the Stormtrooper, only with a couple of head swaps. As a result, the trooper masks were a bit large and awkward-looking. The inclusion of the Mouse Droid was a plus for this set, but it receives a big minus because of the difficulty many people faced trying to get this set. Having worked in KB the year before, and with several of my former co-workers still there, I was able to get one because they held one for me, ubt unfortunatley, stores only got 1 case of these each (6 sets), which disappeared in a hurry, as this was still nearing the height of the scalper craze with SW products.

Best: Boba Fett

Worst: Luke Skywalker, X-Wing Pilot

JediTricks
06-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Best: X-wing Pilot Luke, the outfit alone kicks ***, and the big helmet isn't that bad, it actually fits. If only they had given him gloved hands instead of regular. I took the Dagobah bodysuit from Bespin Luke (which is wrong, it's clearly a tank top in the movie when he untucks it) and put it on this figure, to simulate the scene where Luke is suiting up for battle in ESB (this is before he puts on the snowspeeder part of the costume).

I wanted to give this vote to Leia, she's a good figure with a very decent likeness, but the rooted hair didn't entirely work for me and one of her hands is a palm which limits poses. I dunno why her hood is open in the back either.

Worst: Stormtrooper, the armor was inaccurate, the helmet looked doofy, and nothing fit right on that bulked-up GI Joe body

I almost gave worst to Pinhead Fett and his ill-fitting chest armor, but they got a lot more right on this thing than the Stormtrooper.

Jaff
06-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Princess Leia Organa was cool, even though her hood never really impressed me. Han and Luke in Stormtrooper were awesome. I was happy to finally see these two as 12". Still, Luke Skywalker, X-Wing Pilot was the best of the bunch.

The worst goes to Little Head Fett or "bulk"trooper. I guess my worst is Stormtooper. What a gargantuan.

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm not avoiding your poll, tagmac, but I've always been a picker and chooser with 12" figures, so I doubt I could give a balanced opinion on any wave.

I'll nominate Count Dooku as the all-time best right here and now, though. :)

tagmac
06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
No prob, Chuxter. I'm gonna hold off on tallying up this wave for a bit, until I get a few more responses. It could be that so few people visit this section, it gets buried. I'll add a link to my posts on the regular figure poll.

TheDarthVader
06-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Past vote: Best Tusken Raider Worst Bespin Luke

NOW: Best Luke X-Wing Pilot Worst Stormtrooper

tagmac
06-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Well, I'd like to see some more people vote on Wave 3, so I won't do the tallys for it just yet. I'll leave voting open on that one, even while moving on. Since I won't be around to update for a few days, I'm gonna put Wave 4 up today, then do the tallys early next week.

September/October, 1997 - Wave 4 was a big one, as we began to see more exclusives hitting the market. Warning - due to the exclusives, this is gonna be a long review.

Sandtrooper (Diamond Comics Exclusive): This was the first of the new wave (and only one in Spetember) to hit stores. Suffering from the same issues as the Stormtrooper, the orange pauldron, backpack, and rifle somewhat made up for the otherwise poor quality. It's rarity was also well-known, as each comic shop would only get two figures in. I was lucky enough to wlak into the now defunct Comic Attitudes by my college at the time, looking for the new books for the week, only to see one of these sitting right in front of me. Of course, I bought it right away, although my luck with future exclusives would prove to be much worse, and somewhat "tragic" financially.

C-3PO: A pretty good likeness, and a decent figure considering it had no accessories or other features. Although we didn't get a silver-leg on this one either, that situation would be rectified later on, so the figure doesn't lose points on that.

Admiral Ackbar: Excellent detail on this figure, right from the glassy eyes to the lobster-hands. Although the thick turtle-neck looked a little bad, overall, I can't complain about this figure.

TIE Fighter Pilot: Not a bad figure, but suffers from gigantism even worse than the Stormtrooper did. While the detail on the helmet and control panel are great, the body was too thin, and it shows. While the Stormtrooper was bulky all over, the TIE Pilot is basically a head with arms and legs.

Chewbacca: FINALLY! After three delays, this figure hits the shelves (unfortunately, and stupidly, at one-per case). We now get to see the much improved (from the vintage) Chewie, ready to tower over the other figures and look great displayed next to Han. WRONG! We instead get a glorified teddy bear on a wire fram, with an oversized bowcaster, instead of the fur-over-solid-body I think most of us had expected.The only redeeming quality of this undersized figure was the head, although this was hardly worth the unneccesary wait and shortpacking.

Cantina Band Members, Figrin Da'an, Doikk Na'ts, Ickabel, Nalan, Tech M'or, & Tedn Dahai (Walmart Exclusives): These were basically the same figure, packaged with differnet instruments and the corresponding name on the packages. I never did get these figures due to the lousy Wal-Mart in my area letting everytihng go out the back door in those days, but from pictures these looked to be decent figures, with a pretty good head sculpt. Unfortunately, since back then "exclsuive" mean "1-2 cases per store," only someone with connections had any chance of getting a full set of these. I've only see two full sets myself, one at a topy show, and another in a comics shop, of which I didn't want to spend the money, even though $100 really isn't bad for 6 figures.

Electronic Power F/X: Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader (JC Penney Exclusive): These were basically the same figures from wave one, only repackaged and with electronices built into the figure to provide some speech and lightsaber sound effects. I actually bought and returned the figures after realizing these figures were way too expensive just for the effects and packaging. These would later show up at KB Toys, indicating JC Penney never did sell off their stock.

Grand Moff Tarkin and Death Star Gunner (FAO Schwarz Exclusive): These were two nice figures. The gunner did suffer from Gigantism, but not nearly as much as the TIE Pilot, and the Tarkin was a pretty good likeness of Peter Cushing (second only to Dooku in quality IMO) with an equally impressive uniform. The addition of the Death Star backdrop and the Interrogator Droid was a nice touch, although I have yet to actually open mine. The only negative was that each store was limited to about 20 of these, so if you weren't reading webboards back then, you likely didn't know that you had to sign up for these, on a first come-first served basis. I was lucky enough to get on the list early enough, although I was forced to either pay over the phone when it came in, or they would not hold it for another day when I couldn't get to the store that same night, that's how hot the item was.

Han Solo and Tauntaun (TRU Exclusive): The cream of the crop - a decent Han Solo (although the color of the coat, which I say should have been blue, was the subject of controversey among many collectors), but it's the tauntaun that really makes the set. Perfectly scaled and detailed, it was my favorite fig of the time. Unfortunately, this figure, which would see more widespread distribution to TRU stores a year later, initially shipped at only 4-8 per store, with stories of people lining up only to watch on person buy the whole case, and scalping runing rampant. I was younger, and so let myself get suckered into spending $175 from a dealer I used to buy from, only to find these easy to get a year later. Live and learn.:(

Luke Skywalker and Wampa (Target Exclusive): The Luke figure was decent, and the costume was alright, but you had to open the figure and untie the scarf and re-position it to get it to hang from his hat like in the movie. The Wampa was a huge disappointment, in that we got another glorified teddy bear, grossly undersized, and with spots on the fur that resembled something I can't type on this board. Also suffering from initial bad distribution and subsequent scalping and customer issues like with the Tauntaun, I also allowed myself to be suckered into paying $200 for this. A year later, I was in the Target that had recently opened near me, and found 6 of these just sitting on a shelf in the toy department they were re-setting. :cry:

tagmac
06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Here's my votes for Wave 4:

Best: Han & Tauntaun - the likeness and the coat color bothered me, but the Tauntaun was a major saving grace.

Worst: Chewbacca - what a letdown after a long wait. I hope Sideshow eventually gives us the fur-over-solid-body figure, although I could see it being too expensive for me, just like Bespin Han was.

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Best: Han/Tauntaun - great Hoth Han figure and a big, in-scale beast.

Worst: Chewie - awful, awful plush figure, not even the right height.

Honorable mentions:

- Grandma Tarkin and Bowlface, a good set marred by a horrible FAO pricetag. I think I got this one via catalog preorder, which saved my bacon.

- Ackbar looked good, I never got around to buying him but I got to see one in person.

I have never even seen the TIE Pilot in person. 3PO didn't do it for me, not enough articulation, looked too wide or tall or something. I held out on the Sandtrooper until the next version because it was too hard to get. I never found the Cantina Band Members, their scarcity will forever keep them off great lists. The electronic Ben & Vader were not good (Ben talks about Sand Peope while duelling Vader?), this was a lame set that didn't deliver what it should have. Luke Wampa I liked, the Wampa wasn't as bad as Chewie, and Luke was downright good - it took me a while to find this and the Tauntaun set I think.

Slicker
06-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm in concurrence with the majority

Best - Han and TaunTaun

Worst - Chewie

I didn't like the look of the Luke/Wampa set mainly because of the pee streaks on the Wampa.

Reefer Shark
06-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Last poll:
Best - Leia
Worst - Stay Puft Stormtrooper

This poll:
Best - C-3PO
Worst - Fuzzball Chewie

I was a big fan of the Han Taun-Taun too, and got suckered into paying too much for him as well ($125 IIRC). Of course, now he can be found for around $50... He didn't get my vote because of Hans Likeness and the fact that the Taun-Taun couldn't stand up on his own (at least mine anyways).

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I didn't like the look of the Luke/Wampa set mainly because of the pee streaks on the Wampa.AHAHAHAHAHA!!! I totally forgot about that. Didn't the later release version have more of it than the earlier ones?

Darth Cruel
06-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I got some catchin' up to do.

Wave 2:

Best - Bespin Luke...Worst - Lando

Wave 3:

Best - Boba Fett...Worst - Princess Leia

Wave 4:

Best - Electronic Ben and Daver...Worst - Chewbacca (and he hasn't gotten any better since)

Banthaholic
06-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Best: Tusken, see forum name I'm a sucker for these guys
Worst: Lando. It's not even a bad figure just the worst of the lot to me.

tagmac
06-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Here are the updated tally's for the first two waves. I'll tally up waves 3 and 4 by Tuesday, in the hopes that a few more people will vote tomorrow.

Wave 1:

Best: Ben Kenobi - 8

Darth Vader - 2

Wave 2:

Best: Tusken Raider - 6
Bespin Luke - 3

Worst: Lando - 6
Bespin Luke - 3

Tycho
06-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I want to play!

I'm catching up from behind.

Wave 1:

Best: Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
Worst: Darth Vader - never bought "stumpy"

Wave 2:

Best: Tuskin Raider
Worst: Lando Calrissian

Wave 3:

Best: Luke X-wing Fighter Pilot
Worst: Boba (my head is shrinking!) Fett

Wave 4:

Best: Han Hoth on TaunTaun - seeing pics of this and knowing it was coming out actually got me into buying the 12" - I rushed around and picked up all the earlier ones I wanted (still able to find most of them, luckily)

Worst: Chewie - do I really need to explain? Don't get me wrong - I don't hate him. I actually do like him, but he's so fragile I'm scarred to mess with him once I pose him so he can stand on his own.

There are a few comments I'd like to add:

until I remembered why I didn't buy that Vader back in the day, opting instead to wait for anything better and getting the electronic one.
I know what you mean - that 14" Electronic Vader is still one of my all-time favorites and I wound up buying 4 or more of them (even I don't know off hand without checking).

On Wave 2, I didn't care for, nor buy, nor even consider for rating the Tuskin with the blaster (I mean that was easy to ignore once you found the Gaffi stick one), but the costume on that Tuskin, and Bespin / Dagobah Luke were their saving graces.

I really wished Luke Bespin had better articulation that Hasbro and now SideShow is accustomizing us too.

Lando Calrissian - I love this 12". I always loved Lando in this outfit, and the head looked like Lando.

No it didn't. San Diegans were saying how much it looked like Junior Seau. Lando was never really done justice, even in the later Skiff Guard figure (which is slightly better). I can't wait to see what SideShow does - and hope they start with his General figure.

Wave 3:

Leia was a challenge to find - and then buy with decent hair. It was real, rooted, but it was also glued. So you had to get one with the buns glued just right, as I imagine it would have been a mess to correct. I was lucky myself in that endeavor, and my Leia (Senator) figure is pretty nice. Again, not too poseable.

I didn't buy the Stormtrooper at all. I was already up to nearly 100 POTF2 Stormtroopers in my 3 3/4" collection and didn't see myself ever financially recovering from doing this with the 12" figures, so I decided to avoid stormtroopers. Later I'd correct that and buy 2 OTC 12" ones on clearance from K-Mart for dead bodies for my Action Collection Ewoks to stand triumphantly over - but hey, we each have our own quirky tastes. (Ewoks rule!)

Boba Fett's head was too small and his rocket didn't even launch while the Kenner one from the 80's was far superior. Hasbro corrected this with the later electronic Talking Boba Fett of which I purchased 2 (nice!!!). I still display my '97 12" Fett, but what else would I do with it. The paint job was good.

Luke X-wing kicked butt! His costume and the correctly fixed hair color rocked. The helmet detail and the moving blastshield visor were all cool, as were the details to his flight suit right down to the signal flares, etc. What a great figure!

I loved the Han / Luke Trooper set. I traded to get mine (a Tarkin / DS Gunner set) and I think it was a great trade considering how few KB got of these Stormie sets. I loved having a Han Trooper in either size (3 3/4" and 12") and it came with a Mouse Droid, so you can imagine how happy I was. Overall, it was not so significantly different from the Stormtrooper figure out there, so I can't say it was more impressive than Luke X-wing, but it's a great piece.

I'd like to say how awesome I think the Sandtrooper was here (first one with orange shoulder pauldron (the captain I think) - nice!!! I love Sandtroopers and always wanted some since I was a kid collecting Kenner figures.

C-3PO was nicely golden

Admiral Ackbar was beautiful for a fish-head. That was an impressive sculpt that stands out in the line.

The TIE Pilot was annorexic! He looked it in his flight suit (or should I say "she looked it." Is that supposed to be Nicole Richie or Mary-Kate Olsen?

The Cantina band members - I didn't buy a complete set when I had the chance. I don't regret it either. I thought it was a great sculpt and I think here is where the articulation improved (so they could hold their instruments). But I only bought Nalan because I liked his instrument best. So incomplete sets being out there were not all because of scalpers. I just didn't see a need to spend over $120 on essentially the same figure - and an unimportant one at that.

Electronic Power Death Star I Jedi Duel - I ignored this. Non-removeable blades, limited articulation, a trip to JC Pennys that was out of my way, etc. No thanks.

Grand Moff Tarkin (I eventually got as a single-figure) and DS Gunner - (another anorexic) - I bought and happily traded for my Han and Luke Trooper set.

Luke and Wampa - I liked this set actually - a lot. But the Wampa still should have been taller, and it is incredibly over-shadowed by the Han and TaunTaun set!

tagmac
06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Welcome aboard, Tycho. I was hoping more people would join in the poll, but what can you do. Can't hold back on the updates forever. Here's what we have now.

Wave 1
Best: Ben Kenobi - 9
Darth Vader - 3

Wave 2
Best: Tusken Raider - 7
Bespin Luke - 4
Bespin Luke - 3

Wave 3
Best:X-Wing Luke - 4
Boba Fett -2
Leia - 1
Worst: Stormtrooper - 4
Leia/X-Wing Luke/Boba Fett - 1 each

Wave 4
Best: Han/Tauntaun - 3
C-3PO/Admiral Ackbar/Elec. Vader & Obi-Wan - 1 each
Worst: Chewbacca - 6

tagmac
06-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Nov, 1997/ Jan, 1998. Here we go with Wave 5. I'm including the lone exclusive from November with this wave, since it was somewhat delayed when it came out.

Luke Skywalker & Bib Fortuna (FAO Schwarz exclusive): Here we finally got a new head sculpt for Luke, which was a pretty good likeness of an older Mark Hamill. The figure had good detail, and included his cloak and green lightsaber. Bib Fortuna was a decent figure as well, and did not suffer from the problems that plagued the smaller figure.

The rest of the figures were released as part of the newly-packaged "Action Collection." Gone were the awesome packages with the character photos on the black star background, and the folding window boxes, replaced by generic, large open window boxes that could be damaged easily. While the figure quality stayed pretty consistent, this was a serious step downward in the packaging, a sign of things to come eventually with the line of figures itself.

Greedo: Originally released as a JC Penney exclusive that few people ever found, it finally saw a more common release as one of the first Action Collection figures. The detail was pretty good, although he suffers from gigantism of the head. Even more disappointing, his gun was molded right into his hand, costing this figure some more points in my opinion.

Grand Moff Tarkin: Not much to add to this figure other than the fact that it was identical to the FAO Schwartz version, only released separately.

Sandtrooper w/ Imperial Droid: This figure was overall the same quality as the previous release, although it came with a different rifle, and featured a white shoulder pauldron, a plus for those who were able to get the first version. the inclusion of the droid was a nice touch.

Ceremonial Luke Skywalker: This figure featured a nice outfit complete with medal, although they reverted back to the first likeness. Although movie-accurate by featuring a younger head, this still bothered many who felt the original likeness was off the mark.

R2-D2: Not much more than a hunk of plastic, the figure still featured some nice details. We could finally complete our sets of the main characters with this figure. The addition of a third leg really improved the figure, although it featured little in articulation and playability. While this was a must-have, it certainly wasn't one of my favorites.

Jawa: this was a great figure. It featured some great details, an awesome outfit, and the payoff, eyes that lit up with the push of a button hidden in the back. No holes in the head, and no visible "action buttons" to ruin an outstading figure.

Yoda: This was another great figure, complete with cloth outfit and a cane. The likeness was pretty good, although the inclusion of a snake would have been a nice addition.

My vote:

Best - Jawa
Worst - Greedo

Jaff
06-20-2006, 11:31 PM
A Quote from Tycho's last post regarding my opinion that Bespin Lando's head resembled Billy Dee Williams.

No it didn't. San Diegans were saying how much it looked like Junior Seau. Lando was never really done justice, even in the later Skiff Guard figure (which is slightly better). I can't wait to see what SideShow does - and hope they start with his General figure.

I'm sorry you feel the need to rebuke my own opinion on Lando. I feel it does look like Lando. I still like this figure and appreciate it since I compared stuff to vintage quality back then. It's what I think, and your comments do not change it. Try to vote using your own opinion, without trying to disect other members opinions. Your comments can carry weight without challenging others.

Jaff
06-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Catching up on wave 4 vote:

BEST: I love the Han with Tauntaun, and the TIE Fighter Pilot, but I'm going to be an oddball and say Admiral Ackbar. Although I have always thought of the 3 3/4 versions of this character as fair, I really like the 12". It still stands out as a very unique 12" in this series

WORST: Chewie - What a teddy bear. If I bought one my two year old would appreciate it!

Wave 5

BEST: Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (FA0) - I was so happy to get this fig as a 12" finally. It still looks good even though the Sideshow version overshadows it.

WORST: Ceremonial Luke

Tycho
06-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Can't I pick on Jaff some more, or do I have to vote? (just kidding Jaff - I didn't single you out personally, I just was disappointed in the Lando figure slightly - compared to the others, but I agree - it's still pretty good. Once again, I can't wait to see what SideShow does with a real likeness of Billy Dee Williams, hopefully in the General outfit from ROTJ - we'll still get Lando in a cape, but with a cross-draw shoulder holster for his blaster! I want to display this Lando version with my Hasbro Ackbar and Wedge figures, and R2-A6 (posing as Wedge's astromech - and maybe if military figures happen, some Rebel Fleet Troopers, too). BTW - we'll get there, but Hasbro's 12" Wedge was also pretty good!

Now to the vote:

BEST: Bib Fortuna, without a doubt. As a two-pack, Jedi Luke with his cloak and green saber help this set out a lot. Overall, FAO got a golden nugget thrown to them and I loved this set. This still remains the only way to get Bib Fortuna as a 12" and I'm sure glad I did. His multi-layered outfit (same with Luke's) were well mastered and this is just one of the highlights of the collection. The packaging was still good on this one too.

WORST: Luke Skywalker Cememony - the new headsculpt is probably the single-worst of the entire 12" line! He looks like a turtle under a blonde toupe! I bought this figure knowing they were going to make a Ceremony Leia as part of the girls' collection, but uggggh! Maybe one could use him as a Spicolli figure for a 12" Fast Times at Ridgemont High Collection (would Dooku be the closest thing to Mr. Hand?)

But some words about the others:

Greedo would have been better with a non-molded to the hand gun.

R2D2 was pretty cool for what he was. I wished I bought the "tools version" that came out later though!

The Sandtrooper was very cool - I have all 3 versions, but the orange is still my favorite.

Tarkin's exactly as he's supposed to be. I'm glad he was single-boxed, as I traded my 2-pack and I didn't like nor really want the DS Gunner anyway (I didn't like his pants).

Tagmac is right: the Jawa is very cool. He needed more articulation though.

Speaking of articulation - though at the time we had no idea Yoda would start lightsaber fighting in AOTC (heck, TPM wasn't even in theaters for another year at this time), but Yoda was very well dressed, yet had no speakable poseability - and neither did his prequel figure update either. His versions in this series were disappointing to say the least. But you can stand him there. Luke Ceremony you just can't stand to be in the same room with period!

TheDarthVader
06-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Best Electronic Vader and Obi
WorstChewie

BestJedi Knight Luke
WorstCeremonial Luke

JediTricks
06-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Best: Luke & Bib Fortuna - another set I preordered from FAO's catalog, it was too expensive but both likenesses were really good, the outfits were decent, Luke's saber was great. Little did I know when I opened it that I had the rare variant with the unpainted saber hilt and gloveless Bib though, that could have been some heavy duty trade bait.

Honorable mentions: - R2-D2, near-perfect sculpt, one of the premiere R2-D2 toys of all time.

- Jawa, although he looked like garbage in the packaging because the hood was pulled all the way back to reveal the light-up eyes, out of package you could reposition the hood and then he looked tremendous, the cloth looked great, the light-up eyes were cool, he was a great surprise once I bought him at clearance (there were a lot of him on clearance).

Worst: Ceremonial Luke - this thing had an awful likeness and was given a lot of makeup.

Dishonorable mention - Greedo, giant head, gun molded to hand, figure sucked.

Luke Ceremonial: This figure featured a nice outfit complete with medal, although they reverted back to the first likeness. Although movie-accurate by featuring a younger head, this still bothered many who felt the original likeness was off the mark.It didn't have the first likeness, it had a new head, it wasn't very good, see attachment.

R2-D2: Not much more than a hunk of plastic, the figure still featured some nice details. We could finally complete our sets of the main characters with this figure. The addition of a third leg really improved the figure, although it featured little in articulation and playability. What are you talking about? R2 had every point of articulation he had in the movies that wasn't involving his doors or tools. I've got the figure right here next to my elbow, his dome turns, his shoulders rotate, and his ankles are hinged, plus he has wheels on his feet, that's everything R2 ever did in the movies.

Reefer Shark
06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Best: Luke & Bib Fortuna - another set I preordered from FAO's catalog, it was too expensive but both likenesses were really good, the outfits were decent, Luke's saber was great. Little did I know when I opened it that I had the rare variant with the unpainted saber hilt and gloveless Bib though, that could have been some heavy duty trade bait.

Honorable mentions: - R2-D2, near-perfect sculpt, one of the premiere R2-D2 toys of all time.

- Jawa, although he looked like garbage in the packaging because the hood was pulled all the way back to reveal the light-up eyes, out of package you could reposition the hood and then he looked tremendous, the cloth looked great, the light-up eyes were cool, he was a great surprise once I bought him at clearance (there were a lot of him on clearance).

Worst: Ceremonial Luke - this thing had an awful likeness and was given a lot of makeup.

Dishonorable mention - Greedo, giant head, gun molded to hand, figure sucked.

Basically, this is my exact same take on the wave.

So, not to copy, but:
Best: Luke/Bib
Worst: Ceremonial Luke

I really dug the R2, and would've voted him over the Luke/Bib set if it weren't for the Wal-Mart "tools" version that comes up a bit later in the poll (like Tycho said). I really liked the entire 6" line, especially those later WM versions.

JediTricks
06-22-2006, 03:43 PM
The only loser in the WM 6"ers is Wicket, doesn't look a thing like him. R5-D4 rocks and R2 w/ tools is great.

TheDarthVader
06-22-2006, 06:31 PM
<--- looks at picture of ceremonial luke *shutter*

R2-D2 and R5 were awesome figures. I also liked the yoda six-incher.

Blue2th
06-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Did anyone remember the AT-AT Driver in folded cover box? Was that a Service Merchandise Exclusive? Whice wave was he in? I think I have one in storage somewhere....?

tagmac
06-22-2006, 08:29 PM
I didn't forget it. I'll be including him with the Hoth Wave, rather than as the exclusive, just as I did with Greedo, since they were the same exact figures.

tagmac
06-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Time for the new tallies.

Wave 1
Darth Vader - 3

Wave 2
Bespin Luke - 4
Bespin Luke - 3

Wave 3
Boba Fett -2
Leia - 1

Wave 4
Admiral Ackbar/Elec. Vader & Obi-Wan - 2 each
C-3PO - 1
Worst: Chewbacca - 8

Wave 5
Best: Jedi Luke/Bib Fortuna - 5
Jawa - 1
Worst: Ceremonial Luke - 5
Greedo - 1

tagmac
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
March, 1998

Which brings us to Wave 6. This was yet another theme wave (the previous being ANH), devoted entirely to Hoth. While we only got one completely new figures, collectors were able to obtain three other figures offered previously as difficult to find exclusives. (Note: this wave would later be re-released as a Kay-Bee exclusive four-pack, but with no changes to the figures themselves). All of these figures featured a rifle with a "firing red missle" accessory, which looked dumb posed, but for playability, gave for a cool "laser bolt" illusion.

Han Solo, Hoth Outfit: This was basically the same figure as the one with the Tauntaun, only with snow flecks added onto the coat, and a second rifle. Had Hasbro been smart, they would have made this one with a blue coat to satisfy all collectors.

Luke Skywalker, Hoth Outfit: Again, a figure identical to the exclusive version, only with snow flecks on the costume, and an added rifle. I didn't buy either of these re-releases because I already had the exclusives, but I have to admit, the snow was a nice touch.

Snowtrooper: This was the one I was waiting for. My favorite of all the clone/stormtroopers, I thought the detail on the helmet was great, and not oversized like the regular trooper had been. While the armor may have seemed a bit oversized, in watching the movie, it is clear that the "real" troopers look a bit bulkier, so this did not hurt the figure itself. The detail as well was pretty good, and the different armor was faithful to the trooper.

AT-AT Driver: previously issued as a Service Merchandise (remember that store) exclusive, considering even fewer people ever found it in the collector's edition packaging than did the Wampa and Tauntaun, I held it to be ranked with this wave. The detail on the figure was excellent, although once again it suffered from swelled-head syndrome. Even so, it was a nice addition to my collection.

Best: Snowtrooper
Worst: Hoth Han Solo - mainly because this should have been a blue coat version.

Tycho
06-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I love Tagmac's poll....

Gosh, the nostalgia. I remember 1998. I was younger then. I looked forward to driving to Toys R Us even, where I found my 12" AT-AT Driver I think - or it was the Snowtrooper - somehow I have these figures without a Han Hoth and Luke Hoth independent of their 12" Beasts.

Meanwhile, Han's coat was the correct color - adjust the contrast on your TV set. (Do the same thing for Han Endor's pants). Hasbro's color problems often start because KENNER did something different back in the day such that if Han had a Kenner figure wearing pink pants, we'd all think it was supposed to be that way and demand Hasbro corrects it. Han Hoth ON TaunTaun had a very dark blue coat (or possibly a blue-threaded brown coat), but it was pretty authentic to the movie. Back in the day, Kenner used an almost Royal Blue color for their 3 3/4" figure (the first ESB Han figure) and the tradition got started.

Best: Snowtrooper I guess. It's so cool. Pun unintended, yet very applicable.

Worst - There was nothing bad about this wave. For lack of anything to really vote for, I'll have to say AT-AT Driver. He's not a "character," nor is he a total troop builder, so he's the first one you'd sacrafice, but I liked them all.

I didn't buy Han and Luke over again -the exclusives with their beasts were awesome. But 1998 and on was getting to be good years for 12" IIRC.

JediTricks
06-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Best: Snowtrooper, they did a great job with his helmet skirt even, the missile-launching blaster wasn't too misshapen (but shouldn't have existed at all), and the armor detailing was pretty darn good. I didn't care for the major variation thing, but oh well.

Worst: AT-AT Driver, stuck with a soft sculpt, this figure isn't bad but the weakest of the bunch.

Jaff
06-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Worst - Snowtrooper
Best - AT-AT Driver

Reefer Shark
06-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Best: Snowtrooper
Yeah, I really dug this figure back in the day too. I always wanted to do a custom with a better body, but never got around to it. I really hope Sideshow does one early in the SW Military line!

Worst: AT-AT Driver
Easily the worst figure of the bunch. The big head was magnified by his short stumpy arms, and oven-mitt gloves.

Blue2th
06-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I'd have to say Luke was the worst of these. I liked the Luke on Tauntaun better with the scars on his face. I liked the AT-AT driver best because of the packaging. Yeah I know he's got a big head, like the Tie Pilot, but still like him best. I also liked the other Service Mechandise Exclusive Hoth Leia. Though she was in the Action Collection packaging she has a cool outfit.

tagmac
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Here's the Tally so far for Wave 6:

Best
Snowtrooper - 3
At-At Driver - 1

Worst
At-At Driver - 2
Hoth Han - 1
Snowtrooper - 1

I'll leave Wave 6 open in the hopes we'll get some more votes in there. Even so, on to Wave 7!

tagmac
06-26-2006, 05:10 PM
August/September 1998

We continue the influx of exclusives along with the new wave of figures. Unfortunately, we saw a couple of rehashes here, with only one entirely new figure.

Wave 7

Biggs Darklighter/Wedge Antilles 2-pack (FAO Schwartz exclusive) - Here we had a complete re-hash of the X-Wing Luke body, but with new heads and helmets. Best thing about these was the wise decision to pack them in the superior "Collector's Series" package with cover flap. The likenesses were actually pretty good, and the helmets were correct (unlike that error with the 3 3/4" "Wedge Skywalker"), although I still say they looked oversized. This time, this exclusive was not lmiited to the first 10 people on a list, but was made available for pre-order, then was quite plentiful in FAO stores for months. While it was obvious they overproduced these, at least they kept collector's interests in mind, rather than those of sclapers as they did with the previous exclusives.

Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight - this was basically the same figure from the FAO Scwartz 2-pack, but without the cape and a bone accessory (from the Rancor pit) included. While clearly a re-release, this was great for those collectors who either couldn't get the FAO exclusive, or who wanted a loose Jedi Luke w/o having to open their exclusive version. For that reason, I bought this figure at the time.

Emperor Palpatine - the one truly new figure in the set, this was a pretty good likeness of Palpy as we knew him at the time. While the hood doesn't look as perfect as it does in the movies, it was attatched to the head, thus making it look much better than the Ep. III version we would get years later.

Barquin D'an - Another rehash, although like with Jedi Luke, provided those who never found the Wal-Mart figures a chance to get a Bith 12". Overall, an average figure with a great head sculpt, and the correct instrument to go along with this SE addition character. The fact that he was such an addition to the trilogy knocks some points off this figure, as this slot should have gone to a more longtime character.

Chewbacca in chains - A complete waste of a figure that didn't even get the benefit of an improved sculpt. All they did was take the old, hard-to-find teddy bear, added a chain, and once again shortpacked him in a new wave. The only thing good about this figure is the ability to pose it with the later-released Boushh figure, although it would take a lot to get this figure to stand properly.

Electronic Darth Vader - Finally, a Dark Lord figure to be appreciated. The first 12" figure made to scale (this one stood at 14" tall), the figure featured a removable helmet with an excellent head sculpt of Anakin Skywalker, and some cool sound effects, including Vader's breating and some lines from the movie. Although it appeared this figure could be impossible to find, it ended up becoming quite plentiful, which was a good thing, as this was one figure nearly every collector had been screaming for.

Anakin Skywalker: SW Masterpiece Edition - the first of only 3 exclusive 12" figures, packed in a large, window box with a cover flap, and with a book chronicling the history of the character, as well as other media and toys featuring that character. In this case, we got the only 12" verison of the original Anakin, complete with Jedi robes. The costume was an excellent re-use of the Ben Kenobi robes, and the head was a pretty good likeness of Sebastian Shaw. This was the only difficult of the three to find, as they could only be bought at bookstores, who didn't get this particular figure in in large quantities (coupled with the fact that this was still peak time for SW scalpers).

This is a tough one, with several of these figures being top candidates for best. However, I'll go with the likely common answer in this case.

Best: Electronic Darth Vader
Worst: Chewie in chains

Tycho
06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Yup - extremely likely that the votes will fall this way!

Best: Electronic Darth Vader
Worst: Chewie in chains[/QUOTE]

I do really like having a 12" Wedge though. That X-wing flight suit is one of the best jobs Hasbro did for their 12" collection.

I have some fondness for the 13" MP Edition Anakin Skywalker (Sebastian Shaw) as well. Remembering Anakin that way (from 1983) will be a hallmark for Old School SW Fans who will grow old seeing perhaps 2 following generations ask their parents "Who is that guy standing there? That's not Hayden Christensen."

However, I did not buy Barquin Dan (I don't think....check that. Yeah I did actually - only because I wanted more Jabba-Aliens and only bought Nalan from the original band members).

As to Vader 14" - I have to give him props again. I bought 4 of these (well I think 1 came with 1/2 Maul in the MOTDS 12" set, and it was recycled for Vader with the ROTS Anakin-to-Vader set, but it is one sweet figure! Perhaps my favorite in the collection?!

JediTricks
06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Best: Electronic Vader - this thing is pretty dated now but was the bee's knees when it came out.

Worst: Biggs/Wedge 2pack - as bad as Chewie in Chains was, it was a way of getting a very hot figure at that time out into more hands; Biggs/Wedge are another overpriced FAO exclusive, and this one was a MASSIVE ripoff, same Luke X-wing body and outfit times 2, just different heads and different painted helmets, and the heads and helmets seemed especially oversized this time around. The likenesses weren't that good, and to add insult to the Luke x-wing body, these guys got gloved hands where he didn't! Lame set that was double the price it should be and had no new outfits or accessories? BAH!

Banthaholic
06-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Best: Snowtooper
Worst: Hoth Han

Best: Anakin Skywalker: SW Masterpiece Edition , remember seeing this at Waldenbooks and didn;t know it was coming out, an awesome thing.

Worst: chewie in chains. Just didn't like the look of it at all

TheDarthVader
06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Worst Snowtrooper
Best - AT-AT Driver

Worst Chewbacca in Chains
Best - Electronic Vader (one of the few 12" figures that I own)

Jaff
06-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Best - Electronic Darth Vader, even today I stare at this awesome 12". I must also say that I'm quite fond of the Emperor.

Worst - Gotta go with the consensus on Chewie in chains. They sure couldn't get chewie right. I use this chewie's as Wampa cousins.

Reefer Shark
06-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Gonna have to go with everyone else on this one:

Best: Electronic Vader
Worst: Chewy in chains

tagmac
06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Here's where we stand now with waves 6 and 7:

Wave 6
Best
Snowtrooper - 5
At-At Driver - 1

Worst
At-At Driver - 3
Hoth Han - 2
Snowtrooper - 1

Wave 7
Best
Electronic Darth Vader - 6
Anakin Skywalker: Masterpiece Ed. - 1

Worst
Chewie in Chains - 6
Biggs/Wedge 2-pack - 1

I'll keep these two going along with Wave 8 through the weekend. We'll have Wave 9 coming up next week, after which I'll tally up all the best & worst figures from the pre Ep. 1 era for a final vote.

tagmac
06-30-2006, 03:26 PM
October - December, 1998
Wave 8 hits, with more exclusives hitting shelves. Once again, they are relatively easy to find, without the "limited edition" tag of the earlier exclusives.

Electronic Emperor Palpatine & Royal Guard 2-pack (Target Exclusive) - A nice two-pack, although the Palpatine figure was nothing more than a re-hash of the previously released figure, only with electronics built in with a voice chip. What made this worth buying, though was the Royal Guard, an excellent figure, save for the transparent eye-slit, which should have been solid black, and thus knocks off a few points off this otherwise great figure. This was also the first exclusive I was able to find in the store, of which they had an entire end-cap worth at the time.

Electronic R2-D2 and C-3PO (Toy's R Us Exclusive) - Once again, we get nothing more than a rehash of two previously released figures, only with sound chips added, and a new paint job to make them look "dirty," like in the beginning of ANH. These were quite easy to find, likely because of the fact that these were a re-hash. On their own, these weren't bad figures, especially if one missed the previous releases, but they were nothing special. These were the first of the exclusives that I did not buy.

Princess Leia in Hoth Gear (Service Merchandise Exclusive) - Finally, an exclusive that was a brand new figure. This was difficult to find at retail (until recently, when KB still has them available to order), but not a bad figure at all. The rooted hair could have been problematic, but looked movie accurate, as was the costume. The only thing that took away from this figure was the ridiculously oversized blaster, a common problem at the time, of course.

R2-D2 w/ Detatchable Utility Arms (Wal-Mart Exclusive) - A third R2 rehash in the same wave, the only redeeming factor of this figure was the fact that it came with add on accessories of the droid's saw and computer uplink arm. Otherwise, this was no different than any of the other R2 figures we had gotten.

R5-D4 (Wal-Mart Exclusive) - Basically the same as the original R2 in quality, making this a figure worth having (and a vast improvement over the garbage that was the first 3 3/4" version). The likeness was pretty good, but like the other two 6" exclusives, this was difficult to find due to the fact it was a Wal-mart exclusive.

Wicket (Wal-mart Exclusive) - The last of the three 6" exclusives, this was an ok figure, but proof that Hasbro once again blew it like they did with Chewie. The figure was solid plastic with a cloth hood, and would have been greatly improved by a furry body and better likeness.

Princess Leia Slave Outfit & R2-D2 w/ Drink Tray 2-pack (FAO Schwarz Exclusive) - Here we had the 12" figure I think a lot of people had been waiting for. unfortunately, we ended up with a glorified Barbie doll and yet another R2 re-hash. On it's own, this was not a bad set, and was surprisingly easy to find (likely due to the fact that it could be pre-ordered), but the face was way off, and looked nothing like Leia. The hair braid was huge, and didn't look right. However, the figure was somewhat redeemed by the fact that no visible joints were visible on the shoulders, and the face that the costume was done well.

Tatooine Luke, Leia Boushh, and Bespin Han 3-Pack (Kay-Bee Exclusive) - Difficult to find initially, this set eventually became quite easy to find. Here we got two new figures with only one re-hash, that of the original Luke Skywalker figure, only with the added poncho accessory. What made the set was the inclusion of Bespin Han, which was a pretty good figure, with an excellent costume. Only Han's likeness took away from this figure. Leia Boushh was also a great figure, with only the oversized helmet taking away from an otherwise great figure (although the rooted hair seemed brittle, and a risk to come apart if one put on and removed the helmet too many times).

Electronic Boba Fett (Kay-Bee Exclusive) - A minor improvement of the first Boba Fett figure, this one had a slightly smaller head, and different colored parts of his armor. What made the figure worth getting was the voice chip, that contained Boba's original lines from ESB (thankfully long before Lucas changed them). To me, it was too similar to the Fett I already had, so this was another that I passed on.

This was a tough group for me to vote on, as I wasn't overly impressed with any of these, but here's what I'm gonna go with:

Best: Bespin Han Solo
Worst: Wicket

Tycho
06-30-2006, 04:59 PM
It's just the opposite for me: this is a VERY tough group of figures for me to vote on. I liked a lot of them in this batch and felt no love for a few. I'm going to type out my thought process as it will help me vote:

Best first:

I liked Electronic Palpatine - I had fun feeling evil pressing his voice button, but he's not all that.

Electronic R2? Mine only lit up in the red eye but didn't make any sounds. C-3PO talked - but I think it detracts from his figure (and also the movies) every time he talks, LOL.

R2D2 with Detachable Utility Arms - wished I'd bought this now! I shouldn't vote for it because I don't have it. So...

FAO Exclusive "Barbie" Leia Slave outfit - I really like this one. I get excited about a little plastic woman in a little plastic / cloth bikini - so sue me. I actually do have a sex life. It just rarely goes along with my Star Wars interests. This figure symbolizes that nicely though. I'm most tempted to vote for Leia at this point.

Leia Boussh - again, this is a great figure of the Princess in a widely overlooked outfit of hers. Nice accessories like a thermal detonator, too. She's definitely still in the running.

Electronic Boba Fett - - he's going to nail this one for me! He's fun to play with, more durable than either Leia who's hair or clothing you have to protect. Boba Fett's rocket actually fires this time - and yeah, like Tagmac said, he speaks his original lines of dialogue from the movie. And his head's the right size. Too cool. Best, right here!

Now I'm of such the opposite opinion of Tagmac's on the worst figure that it's not even funny.

Bespin Han Solo looks so awful in the face that I couldn't wait to buy SideShow's when they offered him and I have the exclusive with the Mynock coming! I really have to read the list again to see if there's anything worse there than Han.

I agree with Tagmac in that Wicket is a contender - barely poseable, not really furry either, nor that well sculpted for being a plastic contraption.

But Han Solo Bespin nails the worst of this wave. Which is great if Boba Fett could collect the bounty on him 'dead!' But SideShow is going to come back in a few months and kick the tar out of that Fett, too (with their new Han Bespin).

JediTricks
06-30-2006, 11:41 PM
BEST: Tatooine Luke, Leia Boushh, and Bespin Han 3-Pack (the Trilogy 3pack), Luke had some new accessories that were good, Han had the ESB outfit which looked good and the new head which looked... ok, and Leia as Boushh was really impressive.

Honorable Mentions: I so wanted to give this vote to R2 w/ Tools, great figure made better with 4 opening doors and movie-accurate tools that plug inside. Also, R5-D4 was great, and Princess Leia in Hoth Gear was really nice too (I believe I got this from SirSteve actually, about 6 months before I joined the staff).

The Emp/Royal Guard set wasn't too bad, but this along with Han Carbo were a disaster for Target and kept Star Wars exclusives out of Target altogether for years as well as lessening Target's orders of SW in general.

WORST: pretty much everybody else was a dead heat in my book for this vote. I'm giving it to Electronic R2-D2 and C-3PO because 3PO was still over-scale, his talking gimmick wasn't that good and cut holes into his stomach, both their paint was really bad, R2's light gimmick was unimpressive, the box was VERY empty-looking, and the set was way overpriced.

Dishonorable Mentions: like I said, the rest of the candidates all could fit in "worst", but the noteworthy one was the Slave Leia set with the big head/small head issue and R2's non-removable drink tray and arm.

Reefer Shark
07-01-2006, 12:43 AM
This is a tough wave for me to vote on, as I really liked most of these figures.

Best: Easily Wal-Mart R2-D2. An awesome figure to begin with, vastly improved by the opening doors and detachable arms. Definitely one of my favorite Hasbro 1/6 scale figures.

Honorable mention goes to R5-D4, would've gotten my vote if is wasn't for R2's arms.

Worst: I would vote for Slave Leia, but drink try R2 saves her. So Boba Fett gets my vote. It was better than the 1st version, but Hasbro never did Boba justice.

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Always late, but worth the wait!

Wave 5

Best - Tarkin
Worst - Greedo

Wave 6

Best - Luke Hoth
Worst - AT-AT driver

Wave 7

Best - E Darth
Worst - Chewy chained (pichewy chomp!)

Wave 8

Best - Rtools! (R2 with tools, I waited a long time for those tools!)
Worst - Palpatine

Jaff
07-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Electronic Emperor Palpatine & Royal Guard 2-pack - Emperor is no big deal as it was another rehash, but I love the Royal Guard.

Electronic R2-D2 and C-3PO - We've seen these figs before, didn't care about them at all.

Princess Leia in Hoth Gear - A nice 12", but no big deal for me.

R2-D2 w/ Detatchable Utility Arms - Very nice, but not the best.

R5-D4 (Wal-Mart Exclusive) - I still can't believe I own an R5-D4 12", I love this one.

Wicket (Wal-mart Exclusive) - Another happy to own, but it's not the best.

Princess Leia Slave Outfit & R2-D2 w/ Drink Tray 2-pack - Cool outfit, awesome R2 that we have never seen before. I like them both, but the key word is like, not love.

Tatooine Luke, Leia Boushh, and Bespin Han 3-Pack - Boushh was awesome, and Luke with Poncho was a great plus. The Bespin Han was a little week compared to the other figs in the pack.

Electronic Boba Fett (Kay-Bee Exclusive) - Accurate sized head, great features. The best Boba made to date.

BEST - There is like four on this list that I think are the best. Boba and Boushh are awesome. R5 and Royal Guard are the ones that I look at the most though. Royal Guard has to win it for me. I love these guards, and having a 12" a dream I never thought possible. If the Royal Guard wasn't on the list I would have picked R5-D4

WORST - Han in Bespin, it's just not noteworthy compared to the other figs in this list.

tagmac
07-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, the votes were pretty spread out for the last wave, with the results looking like this:

Wave 8

Best
Bespin Han - 2
R2-D2 (Wal-Mart) - 2
Tatooine Luke - 1
Leia Boussh - 1
Electronic Boba Fett - 1
Royal Guard - 1

Worst
Bespin Han - 2
Wicket - 1
Electronic R2/3PO - 1
Electronic Palpatine - 1
Electronic Boba Fett - 1

And the final Tallies for the previous waves are as follows:

Wave 1

Darth Vader - 3

Wave 2
Bespin Luke - 4

Bespin Luke - 3

Wave 3
Boba Fett -2
Leia - 1

Wave 4
Admiral Ackbar/Elec. Vader & Obi-Wan - 2 each
C-3PO - 1

Worst: Chewbacca - 8

Wave 5
Best: Jedi Luke - 4
Bib Fortuna - 1
Jawa - 1
Tarkin - 1

Worst: Ceremonial Luke - 5
Greedo - 2

Wave 6
Best
Snowtrooper - 5
At-At Driver - 1
Luke - 1

Worst
At-At Driver - 4
Hoth Han - 2
Snowtrooper - 1

Wave 7
Best
Electronic Darth Vader - 7
Anakin Skywalker: Masterpiece Ed. - 1

Worst
Chewie in Chains - 7
Biggs/Wedge 2-pack - 1

tagmac
07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
I had intended on finishing with wave 9, but I'm going to lump that in with the Ep. 1 figures. At this point, 12" figures were being released ony 3 per wave, so to make for some decent competition, I'll incorporate two waves per voting block. For now, we'll be voting on the following figures for best/worst of the Pre-Ep. 1 era, with the two finalists returning at the end when we vote for best/worst of all:

Best:
Ben Kenobi
Tusken Raider
X-Wing Luke
Han/Tauntaun
Jedi Luke
Snowtrooper
Electronic Darth Vader
Bespin Han
R2-D2 w/ removable tools

Worst:
Han Solo
Lando
Stormtrooper
Chewbacca
Ceremonial Luke
At-At Driver
Bespin Han

I'm not counting Chewie in Chains, since it was the same figure as the first release. Consider these the same figure for this vote.

For me, the best is a tough vote between Kenobi and Han/Tauntaun. But since likeness is an issue here, and I'm also one of those "blue coat" people, my best overall to this point is Ben Kenobi.

Worst overall - it pains me to say it since this was one of my most anticipated figures, but I have to go with Chewbacca.

Tycho
07-03-2006, 01:49 PM
It was easier than I thought. I actually thought of which figure was most comfortable and entertaining to play with, with no worries about breaking anything - and which one could you just see "snapping" one day (the wire frame - you already know who I'm talking about).

BEST: Electronic 14" Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet
WORST: Chewbacca (either version actually)

JediTricks
07-03-2006, 03:06 PM
WORST: That's easy, as bad as Chewie was, Ceremonial Luke had the worst headsculpt and paint I've ever seen on a Star Wars 12" figure.

Best: That's a little tougher. Electronic Vader had me going back when I bought him, but he quickly felt dated due to the weird helmet, the poor poseability, the inaccuracies of the outfit, and other stuff. R2 w/ tools is my favorite because of what he is, but Ben Kenobi, Luke x-wing, Jedi Luke, and Han/Tauntaun are better examples of what the 12" line can really do - with Jedi Luke being an actual good likeness for once. I'm going to have to give it up to Han/Tauntaun because the outfit is very good and the set is super cool.

Tycho
07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
JT, the votes fell very accurately on how we all feel, didn't they?

The best list is a great one. I love almost all the figures on it.

The worst? Well Luke Ceremony's head sculpt does get props for trying so hard to be ugly. But you can use him as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and he won't look out of place.

Jaff
07-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Best:
This is truly tough. I adore the Tusken, Jedi Luke, Darth and Han/Tauntaun so for me it's a tie between the four. Since you need me to make a decision on one I guess Han/Tauntaun wins just for the sheer awesomeness of it. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would EVER see a 12" Tauntaun, and it was super nostalgic to see the Han Hoth come to fruition because in the 80's a prototype of this 12" was made.

Worst:
Gotta go with Chewbacca. The fur just doesn't do any justice to the likeness.

tagmac
07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Gonna give this thread one more day to see if we get a few more votes. Then I'll start with the Ep. I figures.

Reefer Shark
07-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Best: Wal-Mart R2 w/utility arms

Worst: Chewy (1st version - although the 2nd version wasn't any better)

Damn, we're already up to episode1 stuff? Bring it on!

Banthaholic
07-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Best
Tusken Raider

Worst
Chewbacca

tagmac
07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm not going to close voting on the best/worst of the pre-Ep. I period yet, but here's what we have so far:

Best

Han/Tauntaun - 2
Electronic Vader, Ben Kenobi, R2-D2 w/ tools, & Tusken Raider - 1 each

Worst

Chewbacca - 5
Ceremonial Luke - 1

On to a new era in 12" figures, as we enter the Episode 1 era!

tagmac
07-07-2006, 02:55 PM
March/April 1999

The hype is nearing it's peak, the days are counting down, and The Phantom Menace is just over the horizon. Closing out the Action Collection we got three more OT figures. Then, the first Midnight Madness hits, bringing us brand new characters in 12" form.

**I will not be including the Portrait Edition figure, as I think they stand apart from the rest with their far superior quality. these were not meant to be played with like the rest, and it wouldn't be fair to rank them with the rest of the 12" figures. Nor will I be including the four Amidala Collection figures - these were clearly Barbie Dolls meant for little girls, that hardly belong with the rest of the line. (I admit I did get the Padme figure as it was the only way we'd see one in 12" at that point.)**

Han Solo w/ Carbonite Block (Target Exclusive) - this was actually released in November of '98, but I admit, I forgot to include this in the last poll. Not nearly as easy to find as the Emperor/Guard exclusive, this was nonetheless a pretty good 2-pack. While the likeness and the costume on Han Solo leave something to be desired, the saving grace for this was the carbonite block, far superior to the later incarnation we would get. Unfortunately, the lack of detail on the controls on the side of the block take away from it.

Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Outfit - A rehash of the one released in the 2-pack, only this time with a slicked-down hair look, "dirt spots" on the armor, and a dianoga tentacle to complete the look from inside the trash compactor. Not a horrible figure, but one that I look back on and wonder why I ever bought it.

Ben Kenobi w/ training ball - This was basically the exact same figure as the initial release, only without the outer cloak, and with a training ball included. Also of not is the new glow-in-the-dark lightsaber that was kinda' cool, but didn't really improve the figure.

Ponda Baba - a decent likeness, and a great costume, but an otherwise boring figure. Bonus points for including the removable arm.

Jar Jar Binks - this was yet another boring figure, although the likeness was decent. Unlike the rest of the 12" figures, this one was somewhat to scale, noticeably taller than the other figures. However, the overall negativity of the character takes away from it a lot.

Darth Maul - The most anticipated, most popular, and thanks to scalpers and idiot collectors buying multiples, the most dificult 12" figure to find (up to that point). The likeness and the costume were amazing, with my only issue being with the hilt of the saber being a bit rubbery, and noticeably bent so that it wasn't perfectly straight. A little more articulation and this would have been an even more awesome figure.

Qui-Gon Jinn - A decent figure with a great outfit (gotta' admit, the Jedi robes were the best costumes of this line), but the likeness was a bit off, and the rooted hair didn't look all that great. With a head swap, this figure would have improved big time.

Best: Darth Maul - unfortunately, I had to get this one from a scalper. I only saw it at retail once, about 4 months later when I found one sitting in KB, likely put out after being found stashed in the back by an unscrupulous employee.

Worst: Stormtrooper Luke w/ Dianoga tentacle - I really don't know what made me buy this figure, but looking back on it, it wasn't all that great.

Tycho
07-07-2006, 03:27 PM
BEST: Darth Maul without a doubt. The detail and removeable blades in the lightsaber accessory were very cool. The Sith cloaks were chosen from great material. Overall, this 12" was really worth it.

If Ponda Baba wasn't up against Maul, he'd get some serious consideration from me for the detail and removeable arm. That was cool. Nice that the jacket, could be "sliced" at the arm too.

Qui-Gon's rooted hair was cool and didn't bother me. I think the Electronic Talking one looked a lot worse. He was a good figure I was proud to display.

THE WORST: this is hard to determine. I myself did not like Han Solo's face sculpt - and face it, that and the costume are all that make one standard, human Hasbro 12" different from the next. And while I like having that carbonite block, it's not that impressive except for its size. I would have wanted it to close in the back and actually contain the 12" figure, possibly have an alternative "unfreezing" cover you could put on it and see your 12" figure inside (how cool would that have been?) plus electronic lights and sounds. I would have paid $50 or higher for that. (Maybe SideShow will indulge us but I'm not familiar with them doing electronics and action features on toys).

But I did not buy the new Luke Trooper or Obi-Wan - I felt I had them already (better versions as such).

JarJar was OK - as good as he should have been actually - but like Tagmac said, who the character is takes away from how good the 12" is.

Jaff
07-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Not really a stellar list of 12", in fact besides Darth Maul I was really unimpressed.

Han Solo w/ Carbonite Block (Target Exclusive) - I love the Carbonite block, but hate the likeness of this fig.

Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Outfit - Nice wet hair, weak rehashed 12".

Ben Kenobi w/ training ball - A good ben, but the same ben without a brown cloak.

Ponda Baba - I like this 12" because it's the only version of Ponda ever made, but I just like him, I don't love him.

Jar Jar Binks - This actually is a very good likeness of Jar Jar.

Darth Maul - Awesome, rare, cool, and just plain wicked.

Qui-Gon Jinn - Nice, but not great. Give me Maul!!!!!

BEST - Darth Maul

WORST - Luke in Stormtrooper, rehashes and fair sculpts that don't really improve the original are always loosers in my book!

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 03:23 PM
March/April 1999None of these figures you mentioned came out then, all the Ep 1 releases were in May '99, all the POTF2 releases were in November '98. Also, you never mentioned the foreign Han & Luke exclusives from that time, the ones with action gimmicks.

Han Solo w/ Carbonite Block (Target Exclusive) - this was actually released in November of '98, but I admit, I forgot to include this in the last poll. Not nearly as easy to find as the Emperor/Guard exclusive, this was nonetheless a pretty good 2-pack.I was wondering what happened to it. "Not nearly as easy to find"??? These and the Emperor sets were the worst shelfwarmers of all time for Target, they had an entire aisle of the pair, eventually Target had to give away their remaining lots to charity for the tax write-off, Target all but refused to do business with Hasbro for giving them bum exclusives and slowed orders to a crawl, we're still feeling the effects of this debacle nearly a decade later as it was Target's steadfastness with Hasbro that changed the way Hasbro would be willing to buy back some pegwarmers from major retailers years later as well as how Target ordered their exclusives (which took years to even attempt) and how Target clearances out Hasbro product so willingly.

Back in the day, for months after TPM's release, every single auction for 12" Maul on ebay was using the only photo of the figure on the web at that time, that of SSG's, and sellers got so many questions about the "SirStevesGuide.com" text on the photo (Steve made sure to place it on the box area of the photo so it couldn't be easily stolen) that they had to put in their auctions that no, the box wouldn't come with the SSG text on it.

Best: I guess Maul, they actually included his outer cloak and everything. I didn't love the head sculpt or paint but it was good enough and he had the double-saber.

Honorable Mention: Jar Jar may have been a lame character but Hasbro did a good job with the figure.

Worst: Qui-Gon Jinn, rooted hair looked soooo stupid and the face sculpt was awful.

tagmac
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Bumping it up...let's get some more votes, folks! :)

Slicker
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Best - Unfortunately Darth Action Figure (I love Han's Carbonite block but as stated the likeness suffers)

Worst - QGJ. I just never liked this 12incher.

Reefer Shark
07-10-2006, 09:26 PM
These are all pretty sucky for their own reasons, so it's hard for me to pick a favorite. I would've probably picked Maul like everyone else, but I liked Hasbro's later version much better (plus I never found this one at retail, and that ticked me off back then).

best: Han Solo w/Carbonite block, but only for the carbonite block - the actual figure sucked on every level. I really like the block though, and it's one of the few Hasbro 12" scale items I actually still have on display.

Worst: Luke Stormtrooper. I always hated the stay-puft marshmallow fat stormtroopers with a passion, and Luke here was no exception.

tagmac
07-11-2006, 05:04 PM
None of these figures you mentioned came out then, all the Ep 1 releases were in May '99, all the POTF2 releases were in November '98. Also, you never mentioned the foreign Han & Luke exclusives from that time, the ones with action gimmicks.

Since I don't remember any release dates from that far back offhand, I'm getting my release dates from SW.com, and they had the POFT2 figs listed as March. I'll take a mulligan on the Ep. 1 figures though - the site had them listed as May, but I was thinking of the last MM, which was in April. Speaking of which, if anyone remembers the release dates for the Bounty hunter trio, the Stormtrooper Han set, and the Luke/Yoda exclusive, I'd appreciate it so I can review them in order. Those are the only ones without dates listed on the website.

As for the foreign figures, I'm not ranking them with the US releases, as I would assume the majority of collectors never saw or obtained these. Ditto for the Ep. 1 electronic figures, as I don't think these really rank up there with the regular 12" line.

Anyway, here's the new tallies:

Best:
Darth Maul - 5
Han w/ Carbonite block - 1

Worst:
Stormtrooper Luke w/ Dianoga Tentacle - 3
Qui-Gon Jinn - 2
Han w/ Carbonite Block - 1

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
SW.com cargo bay is wrong about those release dates, I'm pretty sure of it.

Makes sense on foreign, but the 12" electronic gets somewhat intertwined with the regular line during Ep 1, what with electronic build-3PO and TC-14 and that Maul that was so popular. It's your poll though, do what you gotta. ;)

I'll try to find the release dates for those, but my main data source is gone.

tagmac
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
August-September, 1999

Six more figures from Episode 1 are released during this time. Initially difficult to find, these were far easier to obtain than was Darth Maul, including the one shortpacked figure of the 6" set.

Anakin Skywalker - Yes, this was another disliked character, but they did a good job on the figure. While the likeness wasn't all that great, the outfit was great, as was the scale of the figure. A must-have at the time, even if it wasn't the best.

R2-A6 - Another re-hash, and an unneeded one. The fact that this one was shortpacked made it a must have at the time, and it was nice to get a different astromech droid in 12" form, but it seemed like they were picking at straws to fill in a 6" wave that didn't need to be released as such. The only positive to this figure was that it wasn't another R2-D2 himself, but it was close enough to be unsatisfactory.

Pit Droids - All I have to say is, WHY? Granted, we didn't get another R2-D2, but these things were briefly in the movie, and served only for pointless humorous moments. Yes, we got two of them, and I admit I bought them (being a completist at the time), but these were a waste. Considering we never got the promised Nute Gunray and Senator Palpatine, they'd have been better served packing one of these with Anakin in a regular-sized package instead of wasting them on a useless 6" set (of which we still need an Ugnaught for the OT, IMO).

Obi-Wan Kenobi - This figure is a worthy companion to the original Obi-Wan figure, as the costume was great, the likeness alright, and the padawan braid being of a decent proportion to the figure (unlike the giant braid Slave Leia had). I had no complaints about this one, other than the fact that it wasn't to scale, and was the same size as Qui-Gon.

Watto - Although I think the scale was a bit big on this figure,this was still a nice addition to the 12" line. The sculpt was great, and for a character who only flew, stood up surprisingly well. What would have really improved this figure would have been a base with a stand to make him "fly."

Battle Droid - While a relatively plain figure, this was pretty nice nonetheless. The articulation was excellent, as you could bend the knees and elbows to pose it in a fighting position, standing, or even in that kneeling, "deactivated" position. And unlike the pit droids, these played a crucial role in the film and thus deserved to be made.

Best: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Worst: Pit Droids - this was really a toss up between both 6" droids, but the rarity of R2-A6 puts it a notch higher.

Tycho
07-11-2006, 05:26 PM
E2 had those awesome fighting FX Jango and Obi-Wan figures, too. They were electronic and featured that very cool light-up lightsaber effect on Obi-Wan.

That was sweet.

They said "Ugggh!" "Ooooh!" "Ooof!" "Aaaaggh!" etc.

"You're no match for a Jedi, Jango!"

"You will not survive!"

"Give up bounty hunter!"

"Ugggh!" "Ooooh!" "Ooof!" "Aaaaggh!"

tagmac
07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
And you wonder why I chose not to include them. :D

Tycho
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Oh - you were posting Tagmac, and I'm supposed to be voting. OK.

BEST: Obi-Wan Kenobi - I like this figure. The 12" line is one place where they've occasionally done Obi-Wan Kenobi justice. This figure was one of those times. I bought 4 of him for different scenes.

WORST: R2-A6 I guess. It's a toss-up between them and the pit droids. I could have lived without any of them, but at least the pit droids are new sculpts and very articulated. R2-A6 is cool - I'm posing him with Wedge and Admiral Ackbar actually - and hopefully a SideShow Lando General one of these days. But he's just an R2 repaint. And I actually would have bought another 6" R2 if I were given the chance.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Best: Obi-Wan Kenobi - the headsculpt is a bit fat, and he should have more accessories, and the outfit is a recolor reuse of the Qui-Gon one (different cut to the shoulders, "skirt" length is longer than Obi-Wan's), but it's good overall and possibly the last time Hasbro gave us a Jedi robe in the regular line.

Worst: Watto - without a doubt, this is who I gave worst to in the '99 year-end review for SSG even. This figure was SMOKED by his 3.75" counterpart, 12" Watto had horrible paint and a cheap-feeling manufacture and crappy accessories and lame articulation.

My take on the others:
Anakin - awful awful awful. This one may have been the longest shelfwarmer I've ever seen, wasn't even bought at clearance. Part of the problem is it doesn't even look all that much like Jake Lloyd. He'd be my worst award runner-up.

R2-A6 - another "who?" bot, this one's claim to fame is green color and a chrome dome. Nothing special, uses the same R2 body. Problem with recognizing him is that in the movie he's in the background for a few moments and thus not that noticable. Nothing special, nothing awful.

Pit Droids - not a bad little set, they were highly noticable in the film. They would have been a lot better if they could fully transform though.

Battle Droid - decent sculpt for figure and weapon but minor-league paint job and weak plastics that make him sag keep this one from being all it can be. Also, there's no excuse for limiting the neck articulation that he has which could have been used for a significant scene in the movie, and he should have been able to fully transform.

tagmac
07-11-2006, 05:46 PM
SW.com cargo bay is wrong about those release dates, I'm pretty sure of it.

Makes sense on foreign, but the 12" electronic gets somewhat intertwined with the regular line during Ep 1, what with electronic build-3PO and TC-14 and that Maul that was so popular. It's your poll though, do what you gotta. ;)

I'll try to find the release dates for those, but my main data source is gone.

Thanks for the help. As for Luke/Obi/Ponda, I think those three figures may have been scheduled for release sooner, but didn't start showing up until the Spring, hence the mixed up release dates. Although I left off the first three electronic Ep. 1 figs, I will include the electronic C-3PO and TC-14 when we get to those waves.

Best: Obi-Wan Kenobi - the headsculpt is a bit fat, and he should have more accessories, and the outfit is a recolor reuse of the Qui-Gon one (different cut to the shoulders, "skirt" length is longer than Obi-Wan's), but it's good overall and possibly the last time Hasbro gave us a Jedi robe in the regular line.

Nope - we got one with the first Mace Windu release, which will be covered in the next wave.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 06:02 PM
That's why I said "possibly", it's the same robe too I think.

Ok, I'll give you March '99 as an "actual" release date.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 06:12 PM
POTJ 12" Bounty Hunters Bossk, IG-88, and 4-LOM released late December 2000.

POTJ 12" Han Stormtrooper, Death Star Trooper, and Death Star Droid released September 2001

POTJ 12" Wal-mart exclusive Luke Skywalker & Yoda released October 2001.

... and that, folks, is why I'm the best and you're the rest. :D j/k ;)

Banthaholic
07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Best: Maul
Worst Han

Best: Battle Droid
Worst: Anakin Skywalker (still hate seeing this one, it's in the bottem of a packed away box and I grimace everytime I see it)

Darth Cruel
07-11-2006, 08:35 PM
best oiverall for the first poll - Han and TaunTaun
Worst Chewcacca

Best of the last of the pre EI and the first of the EI - Maul
Worst - Luke Stormie.

best of the next - Pit Droids - It would have been the Battle Droid if it weren't for the bendy legs.
Worst - Watto

It is interesting to me to see that at least one of you will take away from a good figure just because the character was not popular...and then turn right around and give a figure of an unpopular character higher marks for being a good figure. That is completely contradictory. I don't grade the figure on character popularity because it really has nothing to do with the quality of the figure. Watto lost on the merits of the 12" figure.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
It is interesting to me to see that at least one of you will take away from a good figure just because the character was not popular...and then turn right around and give a figure of an unpopular character higher marks for being a good figure. That is completely contradictory.Of course it's contradictory, you used the same words on both halves of the sentence and just changed the action:

Unpopular character + good figure = take away
Unpopular character + good figure = higher marks

:p But seriously, I don't see anybody doing that. Nobody gave Jar Jar the business, for example.

tagmac
07-13-2006, 03:20 PM
In addition to Wave 2 of the Ep. 1 set, I've updated the tallies for Wave 1.

Pre- Ep.1

Best

Han/Tauntaun - 3

Worst

Chewbacca - 6
Ceremonial Luke - 1

Wave 1

Best:
Darth Maul - 7

Worst:
Stormtrooper Luke w/ Dianoga Tentacle - 4
Qui-Gon Jinn - 2
Han w/ Carbonite Block - 2

Wave 2

Best:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 3
Pit Droids - 1
Battle Droid - 1

Worst:
Watto - 2
Anakin - 1
Pit Droid - 1
R2-A6 - 1

As always, voting will remain open for the previous set until we get to the "best of" the entire Ep. I line.

tagmac
07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Oct/Nov. 1999

Wave 3 hits, albeit a small one, and overall not very impressive.

Masterpiece Editions: C-3PO with Removable Limbs - While basically
a rehash, this version scores points with it's inclusion of the silver
leg, and the ability to take apart 3PO to recreate the Cloud City scenes
in ESB. Too bad they couldn't get Chewbacca right, as this would have made
for an excellent 12" diorama with Chewie holding the busted droid on his
back. As with the Anakin version, this set was also limited to bookstores
and the SW shop, and came with a nice little book that detailed the
history of C-3PO the character and the merchandise. Even better, this one
was easy to find at retail (had I known, I never would have overpaid on
the website like I did), with a handful even making it to the clearance
section of some book stores eventually.

Chewbacca (13" tall) - Gone was the horrible teddy-bear from the previous incarnation of Chewie, and now we'd finally get what we were after as Hasbro gave it a second try on our favorite wookie. What we got made even the teddy look good. The only good thing about this figure was the height. Other than that, it was way too skinny for a wookiee, and Chewie could neither hold his bowcaster nor wear his bandolier properly. "Treebacca" was a wasted effort, one I'm ashamed to admit that I'd bought at the time.

Han Solo w/Trenchcoat - Not a bad figure overall. The likeness still was off, but was a little better than previous versions. The costume looked great, and the inclusion of the charges was a nice touch. Unfortunately, Hasbro saw fit to shortpack this one, making it hard to find at retail. I ended up buying mine from a dealer since my local TRU was famous for being raided by scalpers constantly in those days (not that it's all that much better today).

Princess Leia Slave outfit - Another rehash, albeit one that was ideal for anyone who missed the FAO version, or didn't want to spend the money for the R2 re-hash. The face was slightly altered on this one, giving it a less-Barbie-ish look, but hardly succeeding. The other main difference was the inclusion of a metal chain, a nice touch, but one that has been wasted by the lack of the 12" Jabba many had screamed for back in those days.

This is by far the weakest wave to come along in some time, but due to the large time period (3-4 months) between this and the next group, I'm stopping at these 4 figures.

Best: Masterpiece C-3PO - the silver leg really added to an awesome figure.
Worst: Treebeard.........er, Chewbacca.

Tycho
07-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I bought C-3PO MPE, but never have opened him yet. So it's hard to rate him.
Yet the features were good, but a hero character has more appeal for me.

BEST: Han Solo Endor Gear - I like this figure. 'Nuff said.

Leia Slave I didn't buy because I had the FAO one. There is another difference as far as I can tell. FAO Leia uses a more "Barbie body" and thus has smoother elbow and hip/crotch joints (yes I love to spend hours studying this). The Action Collection Leia Slave has very visible joints on her legs and shoulders (they might even be ball-socket - I don't know I didn't buy this version). As such, I think since the character is barely dressed, I was so right in choosing the FAO version. It's an entirely better figure. You don't need SA for Leia Slave if you're compromising her appearance.

WORST: Treebarka, I mean Chewbacca. I bought this monstrocity too thinking he'd carry MPE Threepio on his back. Boy was I glad they came out with the OTC 14" Chewie in 2004 (KB Exclusive) - I was calling every day until I could buy it (and I think that's when I got 2 more Ephant Mon's on a fluke chance and they were clearance at $2.98 each haha). I didn't need them so I sold them to my collecting group for cost - $2.98. Nice snag, eh?

Slicker
07-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Best - Masterpiece 3PO (because I got an Anthony Daniels auto with it)

Worst - Chewie. They've just never been able to make a satisfactory Chewie.

tagmac
07-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Worst - Chewie. They've just never been able to make a satisfactory Chewie.

It will be interesting to see if Master Replicas finally does. If so, they'd better double the amount, cuz if it's as good as I think they can make it, I would consider getting one (I'm not bothering with the rest because of the prices), although I could easily see a quality Chewie costing at least $100.

Tycho
07-14-2006, 02:00 AM
Do you mean SideShow? I don't think Master Replicas is going to make Chewie.

Meanwhile, the 2004 15" KB Exclusive OTC Chewie was very good IMO. They reboxed him for a ROTS issue as well. THAT was a nice Chewbacca.

tagmac
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Yep, that's what I meant. Got the two companies confused for a second there.

I agree that the KB chewie was great, but part of me still wants to see the "Ultimate" Chewbacca, that of a hard-bodied figure with fur then put over, on par with what we got with the Bantha from the 3 3/4" line. Althuogh I should revise my price idea, after seeing how expensive Boba Fett is gonna be. A Chewie of that quality would likely be around $4-500!

Tycho
07-14-2006, 12:40 PM
The Boba Fett is a premium format figure - not part of their 12" collection at all, but rather SideShow's 16-22" figures (not sure what they measure at the moment). A 12" Boba Fett figure, should they make him, should run $60-100 only to be part of that collection (as most of their 12" figures do). The premium format figures are not likely poseable, thus statues, not action figures.

I too would like a Chewbacca as you described him for the poseable 12" collection. I imagine he could be made so he'd retail for under $150 I'd bet - possibly even far cheaper.

Again, a premium format wouldn't be an action figure and for Chewie, that might actually be far easier to produce for SideShow than an articulated version.

tagmac
07-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Ahh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't collect the Sideshow figures due to pricing and space, but that makes a lot more sense for that Fett figure now.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
BEST: Han Endor

WORST: Ally McBacca (now there's a nickname I've not heard in a long time :D) - I think collectors were a little hard on this one, but it wasn't good enough, no doubt.

Leia was an improved figure, the outfit wasn't see-through anymore, the head was better, and I think the body was improved as well. Still, too soon after the FAO release.

MP 3PO was a massive ripoff at $70, and they didn't do anything great with the actual removable limbs, just cheap pegs. An ok figure, the best 3PO 12", but not really a top figure in my book.

Tycho
07-14-2006, 04:56 PM
JT: you never need to improve a see-through bikini :D

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 06:01 PM
JT: you never need to improve a see-through bikini :D
Actually, the bikini itself wasn't the issue, it was the actual "skirt" part that was see-through, it just didn't look like the movie.

Tycho
07-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Actually, the bikini itself wasn't the issue, it was the actual "skirt" part that was see-through, it just didn't look like the movie.

That's true. But the action figure version was better. They should go back and edit ROTJ with a body-double for Carrie from the waist down and fix that to make it see-through.

Reefer Shark
07-14-2006, 08:35 PM
The Boba Fett is a premium format figure - not part of their 12" collection at all, but rather SideShow's 16-22" figures (not sure what they measure at the moment).

The SW premium format figures are 1/4 scale, where the 12" figures are 1/6 scale. The premiums are awesome, but they are not poseable. They're statues for sure.

--

My votes for the last few groups:

Best: Pit-Droids - I really liked those two little robots with their personality and articulation. :cool:

Worst: Watto - I never bought him, even for $5 on clearance at KB..

-

Best: Masterpiece C-3P0 - I thought it was well done with the removable limbs and net. I remember it having a huge retail price, but by the time I found it they were on clearance for $20 (along with Anakin and Aurra Sing).

Worst: Ally McBacca - Hasbro strikes out again with this guy. The newest ROTS version is ok at best, but hopefully Sideshow will do him justice!

JediTricks
07-15-2006, 02:53 AM
That's true. But the action figure version was better. They should go back and edit ROTJ with a body-double for Carrie from the waist down and fix that to make it see-through. Sometimes you're a real lowlife, you know? :p

tagmac
07-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm sure there's a few regulars missing from the latest poll, but I'll post the tallies anyway, and update them with the next group.

Wave 2 (updated)

Best:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 3
Pit Droids - 2
Battle Droid - 1

Worst:
Watto - 3
Anakin/Pit Droid/R2-A6 - 1 each

Wave 3

Best:
Masterpiece C-3PO - 3
Han Solo w/ Trenchcoat - 2

Worst:
Chewbacca 13" - 5

tagmac
07-17-2006, 05:35 PM
March-July 2000

After a long wait with only one figure to show for it in March, we finally got the next group of Episode 1 figures starting in early summer. As we neared the end of the Episode 1 line, the promised 12" Nute Gunray and Senator Palpatine still never saw the light of day, in favor of these and some of the lousy figures we've previously reviewed here.

Electronic C-3PO - Seeing this as a unique figure as compared to the previous electronic figs, I'm including it in the poll. Here we got the "uncovered" C-3PO, complete with a "tool" accessory which, when pressed to small holes in the torso, activated some of Threepio's lines from the movie. This was a nice feature, but the quality was not much better than the comm-tech chips, and the figure itself looked alright, but was a far cry from the quality of other figures.

Mace Windu - This was a pretty good figure, with a decent likeness, and an excellent costume (sadly, this was the last robed Jedi figure we would see). The only problem with this figure was the lightsaber, but that is forgiven since there was no movie reference for it until Ep. II. A good addition to anyone's collection.

OOM-9 - This was the same exact figure as the previously released Battle Droid, only with yellow markings to designate it as the BD Commander. Nothing was improved to make this figure any better or worse than it's predecessor.

Qui-Gon Jinn w/ Poncho - Another useless rehash. As a completist, I admit that I bought all of these, but this figure was a great example of one that, along with OOM-9, should have been Palpy or Nute. The likeness wasn't great, the hair looked bad, and the rest of the figure was simply the previous version with a poncho instead of a robe.

TC-14 (KB exclusive) - While a bit difficult to find at first in stores, this was a nice figure, far better than the electroinc C-3PO. The silver plating looked great, and the voice chip that played the droid's lines from TPM sounded pretty good for the time.

Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder (Wal-Mart Exclusive) - I didn't think it was possible to improve on the previous Maul figure. I was proven wrong. This figure was outstanding, a perfect display piece with Darth able to sit on his speeder perfectly. The probe droid bracelet on his wrist was a nice addition that only added to the quality of this figure.

Best: Darth Maul w/Sith Speeder - no explanation needed here!
Worst: Qui-Gon Jinn w/poncho - it was a toss-up between this and 3PO, but the fact that this was a bad rehash put it at the bottom of my list.

Reefer Shark
07-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm gonna agree with your pics here:

Best: Darth Maul w/Sith Speeder
Worst: Qui-Gon Jinn w/poncho

Banthaholic
07-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Best: C-3PO with Removable Limbs
Worst: Chewie

Best: TC-14
Worst: Qui-Gon Jinn w/ Poncho

Tycho
07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
These are really tough choices. While reading your list for this round, Tagmac, I was so going to vote for Mace Windu! I need to state that before I say:

BEST: Darth Maul with Sith Speeder - I'm not even sure if it's fair for figures with vehicles or beasts to compete, but Han TaunTaun has already taken a trophy home, so...

WORST: OOM-9 - this figure was alright, but it was just a repaint and didn't do anything for me, let alone they didn't add wrist or swivel elbow articulation which would have been much appreciated.

I really want to add that this is my favorite 12" of C-3PO btw. It's a fun toy how you get to build him and all.

JediTricks
07-17-2006, 08:02 PM
BEST: Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder - just a good set overall, was REALLY hard to get here though, I had to get a savaged return and I was lucky to get it. I don't remember what the fold-down panels on the speeder had inside, and now I'm kinda wondering where the hell mine is right now :p but Hasbro should have just released these earlier and they would have cleaned up.

WORST: Easiest choice ever, Tatooine Poncho Qui-Gon Jinn, just look at his damn face: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=toys/e1acquigonjinnfront.jpg
As much as I wanted those accessories, there was no way in hell I would ever buy that thing at full price.

Electronic 3PO was hard as hell to find, I don't think he's that bad but he's not as good as the 4" version which means he's not good enough.

What's wrong with Mace's saber? It's accurate to the Ep 1 version, if maybe a little small.

TC-14 looked good, but was a bit too overpriced for me, and they shelfwarmed from day 1 around my KBs. Didn't do enough in the movie to warrant this figure IMO.

OOM-9 sucked, the 12" battle droid wasn't good enough to warrant an immediate repaint, one that suffered no improvements except paint and the electrobinoculars.

tagmac
07-17-2006, 08:52 PM
What's wrong with Mace's saber? It's accurate to the Ep 1 version, if maybe a little small.

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/episodeI/e1acmacewindufront.jpg

I was comparing it to the movie version, so this was completely off in retrospect. Granted, no one cared at the time, but now, it sticks out as a glaring error.

Tycho
07-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Mace had the gold hilt only in Episode 2 & 3. They did not show his lightsaber in TPM on screen. The DK Books Visual Dictionary shows the saber the 12" figure is holding I believe. In a Dark Horse comic (Outlander, I think [Republic 7-12 that introduced A'Sharad Hett]) Mace exchanged sabers with Eeth Koth perhaps, in a Concord of Feality ritual in which Jedi strengthen their bonds by trading their weapons for a certain period of time. It was nothing but an EU invention to straighten out the movie discrepancy, thus not really annoying either. But in the end, people didn't really care.

JediTricks - that picture made me laugh out loud! Qui-Gon looks like King Kong! Oooo-Oooo-aaagh-aaah-ha! I could almost swear my figure of 12" Tatooine Qui-Gon has a different head. I don't remember that at all. Maybe Hasbro made a running change with it and there is a variation out there with the regular Qui-Gon head. But this is the first time I think I've ever seen "Ape Face" or "Banana Jinn."

Funny story about Darth Maul on Sith Speeder: I met Mike from Galactic Hunter on that very day - a Labor Day Weekend no less - that I picked up the only two Sith Speeders my Wal-Mart had. It was like 3 or so in the afternoon. I didn't go to the store that morning - wanted to avoid the throngs of holiday weekend shoppers but ended up having to go and get laundry detergeant, toilet paper or something anyway. So I checked the toy isle (I never fail to when I'm there). There were the Maul's! I snagged one for my pal Tony and decided to pay for them in Lawn & Garden and put them in my truck and then return to finish my shopping so no one would give me crap for buying both (all) the Sith Speeders they had. So I'm in line and Mike (whom I didn't know at the time) approaches me and begs and begs and begs for me to surrender one. I never did :D I told him that anyone wishing to join our collecting network had to ante-up and chip in some stuff for at-cost sale within our group first for the priviledge of joining. We have several customizers and several diorama makers in our group, and it generally takes a while for us to get our full share of things. Our group took over 200 CW realist-style Clone Troopers in the holiday season of '03. I found 90 of them myself and kept 40. We made Clone Trooper ranks and promotions based on how many each person found. I was a Republic Clone Commander. Mike eventually made Captain. Anyway, you don't know for how long he's been trying to get me to join the community at Galactic Hunter (then CollectStarWars.com) But I've been loyal to SirSteve for over 10 years now. I'm not going anywhere. Someone has to run the Mouse Droid Sniffers' Association here.

Anyway, Mike and I have been friends and trading since 1999 - going towards 7 years now. Man, does time fly. But that's my unique story about Darth Maul on the Sith Speeder. Mike did get one. Not from me though. I never found it again. I think he pulled his himself from a South Bay Wal-Mart - one of his stores he regularly raids for our group. (He calls it the San Diego Syndicate). Well, we've pulled off some pretty good capers in our days of collecting (all of our group). I can't talk about everything because some things might seem unethical, but we may have hoarded, but none of us are eBay scalpers and the likes. The armies we've raised get opened - sometimes customized, etc.

Jaff
07-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Need to do some catch up.

BEST - Watto
WORST - Anakin Skywalker - I hate peg warmers that sit for over a year or two!

BEST - Han in Trenchcoat
WORST - Leia in slave - This fig did not stand up to the FAO version. Thus it should never have been made.

Tagmac, check your PM. I read a couple posts back that you didn't have all the accurate release dates for the 12". I have them, and now you do too!

JediTricks
07-18-2006, 03:42 AM
[/URL]I was comparing it to the movie version, so this was completely off in retrospect. Granted, no one cared at the time, but now, it sticks out as a glaring error.That is the saber he wore in Ep 1, it's in a couple shots in the movie and it's in all the promo photos of Mace from that time. One Ep 2 came out and showed a different hilt, the EU retconned this change between the 2 films as Mace and Eeth Koth performing a Jedi ritual of trading sabers, so technically Mace's Ep 1 saber is Eeth Koth's making it a little coincidental that Mace's Ep 1 saber looks very similar to Darth Maul's (Maul and Koth are both Zabraks). The on-set reason Mace has that saber in Ep 1 is because as a background Jedi, he was provided a basket of various hilts to choose from and chose somewhat randomly (there's an on-location shot of Mace near the end of the movie that originally had yet 3rd saber for Mace, but this was edited to reflect the one in all the promotional materials).

They did not show his lightsaber in TPM on screen. That is incorrect, you can see it on his belt in the outdoor Naboo shots that Mace is in.

I could almost swear my figure of 12" Tatooine Qui-Gon has a different head. I don't remember that at all. Maybe Hasbro made a running change with it and there is a variation out there with the regular Qui-Gon head.That's the figure's only head, that ridiculous hair and facial expression is forever burned into my brain, maybe you're thinking of the original Qui-gon head or the 12" Electronic Qui-Gon head (which is nearly as bad as Tatooine QGJ): [url]http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=toys/e1acquigonelecbox.jpg (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/episodeI/e1acmacewindufront.jpg)

Bosskman
07-18-2006, 04:35 AM
I'm sorta behind in this poll, but I can't not post my dishonorable mention of Mr. Hankeybacca. That thing was horrible - truly the unholy spawn of Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo and a piece of beef jerkey. What's worse is I was actually stoked to get this figure at the time. I finally came to my senses and was Chewbaccaless until the KB version came out. Never got Ponchoquigon.

tagmac
07-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Tagmac, check your PM. I read a couple posts back that you didn't have all the accurate release dates for the 12". I have them, and now you do too!

Thanks for the info, Jaff. Don't forget to vote for the current list I posted yesterday. :thumbsup:

That is the saber he wore in Ep 1, it's in a couple shots in the movie and it's in all the promo photos of Mace from that time. One Ep 2 came out and showed a different hilt, the EU retconned this change between the 2 films as Mace and Eeth Koth performing a Jedi ritual of trading sabers, so technically Mace's Ep 1 saber is Eeth Koth's making it a little coincidental that Mace's Ep 1 saber looks very similar to Darth Maul's (Maul and Koth are both Zabraks).

Thanks for clearing that up. I never read that in the EU, and it's been so long since I've looked at the visual guide from Ep. 1, I just assumed it was an error.

tagmac
07-18-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm sorta behind in this poll, but I can't not post my dishonorable mention of Mr. Hankeybacca. That thing was horrible - truly the unholy spawn of Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo and a piece of beef jerkey. What's worse is I was actually stoked to get this figure at the time. I finally came to my senses and was Chewbaccaless until the KB version came out. Never got Ponchoquigon.

Feel free to post your responses from the "best of pre-Ep 1" group to the current waves. Just go back to page 7 and scroll to the last two posts for my pre-Ep1 list, and continue from there. I'll update the totals accordingly tomorrow when I post the next wave.

JediTricks
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
If you look at the Mace Windu 12" figure that Sideshow is releasing, you'll notice he comes with the saber as well:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/2109_press07-001.jpg

They're taking creative license with that purple blade, all the other incarnations are blue, but since it was never seen on-screen, they can get away with it.

Hasbro also released both Ep 1 Mace Windu 4" figures with this saber (in blue) and a electronic role-play version of the Ep 1 saber hilt with a purple blade which they released for Ep 2 and 3.

Tycho
07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Hasbro's 4" blue Mace Windu sabers had non-descript hilts. I don't have time to look for a picture, but they were not Eeth Koth like in style.

Jaff
07-19-2006, 01:20 AM
BEST - Darth Maul with Speeder
Worst - Qui Gonn with Poncho

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Hasbro's 4" blue Mace Windu sabers had non-descript hilts. I don't have time to look for a picture, but they were not Eeth Koth like in style.You are right that they were non-descrip, but they actually are trying to emulate the Eeth Koth saber hilt, just in the most generic way possible:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/episodeI/e1macesaber.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potf2/EP1macepreviewbk.jpg

tagmac
07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Here are the brand new totals for the last three waves:

Wave 2 (updated)

Best:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 3
Pit Droids - 2
Battle Droid/Watto - 1 each

Worst:
Watto - 3
Anakin - 2
Pit Droid/R2-A6 - 1 each

Wave 3 (updated)

Best:
Masterpiece C-3PO - 4
Han Solo w/ Trenchcoat - 3

Worst:
Chewbacca 13" - 6
Slave Leia - 1

Wave 4

Best:
Darth Maul w/Sith Speeder - 5
TC-14 - 1

Worst:
Qui-Gon Jinn w/poncho - 5
00M-9 - 1

One more wave to go, then we'll total up the best/worst figures overall for the Ep. 1 line.

tagmac
07-20-2006, 09:00 AM
September/October, 2000

Wave 5 brings us to the final group of figures from the Episode 1 line. Included are a couple of exclusives from the regular line that came out around the same time. Overall, the exclusives were a far better group than was the regular wave.

Biker Scout w/ Speederbike (Target exclusive) - This was actually released in August, but I forgot to include it. A great figure when released, as the Biker Scout, while still chunky, was not as bad as the Stormtrooper. Ditto on the head, which was large, but not overly-so. The best part of this set was the speeder bike, an awesome accessory with two stands that allowed for great posability straight on or at a "flying angle." Like the Tauntaun, this was made to scale with the figure, and wasa must have at the time. Unfortunately, it was also the most difficult to find of the three speeder bike figures to be released, due to the bad scalping problems at the time.

Anakin Skywalker with Hangar Droid - Another Anakin, another worthless rehash. The inclusion of the hanger droid did nothing for me, and the figure was no different from the previous version, save for the pilot's helmet. Since we weren't getting a 12" Naboo fighter, this figure did not need to be made, and although I never did find it at retail, I would never have bought it anyway.

Sebulba - A character of some importance, thus making him worthy of a 12" figure. However, while the sculpt was good, he was not inscale with the other figures, and seemed a bit too large by comparison. A cool character, I still bought this figure anyway.

Boss Nass - After the too-small version we got with the first wave of 3 3/4" figures, this was a much better version. While not in perfect scale, he was still a very large figure, with an excellent sculpt and costume, and could easily stand up, unlike most of the other 12" figures, a fact that adds bonus points to this figure.

Chancellor Vallorum with Corcuscant Guard (Star Wars Fan Club exclusive) - Not my first choice of characters to be an exclusive, what with the major characters we never got, this was a nice 12" set nonetheless. The sculpts and outfits were great on both figures, with the Chancellor's likeness being pretty good for the time. A nice addition to my collection.

Masterpiece Aurra Sing (Book Dealer exclusive) - The final figure of the masterpiece series, this figure suffered greatly from "Barbie-syndrome," looking more like an bald, albino Barbie than the imposing bounty hunter we saw in TPM. The accompanying book was devoted to all the bounty hunters, rather than solely Aurra Sing, making me wonder if a more definitive Boba Fett would have been a better choice. This set was also quite easy to find, eventually hitting the clearance sections of most bookstores. Not a horrible figure set, but nowhere near the best by any means.

Dewback and Sandtrooper (Toys R' Us exclusive) - Yet another awesome exclusive, with the Dewback made to scale with the Sandtrooper. Unfortunately, we got the same chunky, large-headed trooper from the previous releases, only with a different colored pauldron. The Dewback looked good and had "realistic" rubber skin (like the Rancor from the 3 3/4" line), but it was lacking in the detail department. The puke-green color was too bland, and could have been much better. Also taking away points is the poor packaging that resulted in the tail being bent in all packages, which looked bad when posed. I took mine out of the package, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get the tail to look right, with a constant bulge in the spot where it was bent in the package.

Best: Biker Scout w/Speederbike, hands down!!! Nothing else in this wave came close.

Worst: Anakin Skywalker w/ Hangar Droid - an unneccessary figure, with no improvements to speak of either.

Tycho
07-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Best: Biker Scout w/Speederbike, hands down!!! Nothing else in this wave ENTIRE COLLECTION came close.

Worst: Anakin Skywalker w/ Hangar Droid - an unneccessary figure, with no improvements to speak of either.

I have to agree with Tagmac whole heartedly. Comc Con's going on so I don't have much more time to post.

Jaff
07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
BEST - Biker Scout w/ Speederbike

WORST - Anakin Skywalker with Hangar Droid

Sebulba, Vallorum, and Corcuscant were wonderful 12" though. Had they been in another list they would have been some of the BEST!

Slicker
07-20-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna go with the concensus and say:

Best - Biker Scout w/ Speeder Bike

Worst - Anakin

The Dewback should get an honorable mention for it's sheer size. The speeder bike was large but the dewback was ginormous and hefty.

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 05:03 PM
BEST: Speeder bike set

WORST: Anakin set

Like Tycho, I'm kinda busy to say anything else

Reefer Shark
07-21-2006, 07:58 PM
best: Biker Scout/speeder bike
honorable mention - Sebulba

Worst: Aurra Sing crapterpiece
dishonorable mention - Anakin w/Hangar droid and Dewback set

Bosskman
07-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Best - Biker Scout

Worst - Aurra Stink Yeah, I still hate this character, even after all these years. What I stupid ugly retarded character, and this figure was a crappy version of an even crappier character so what does that say?

tagmac
07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Looks like it's unanimous for the best figure this time around. Pretty close for the worst, as well.

Wave 5

Best:
Biker Scout w/ Speeder Bike - 7

Worst:
Anakin w/ Hangar Drois - 5
Aurra Sing Masterpiece Ed. - 2

And the rest of the tallies:

Wave 1
Best:
Darth Maul - 5

Worst:
Stormtrooper Luke w/ Dianoga Tentacle - 3

Wave 2
Best:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 3
Pit Droids - 2
Battle Droid/Watto - 1 each

Worst:
Watto - 3
Anakin - 2
Pit Droid/R2-A6 - 1 each

Wave 3
Best:
Masterpiece C-3PO - 4
Han Solo w/ Trenchcoat - 3

Worst:
Chewbacca 13" - 6
Slave Leia - 1

Wave 4
Best:
Darth Maul w/Sith Speeder - 5
TC-14 - 1

Worst:
Qui-Gon Jinn w/poncho - 5
00M-9 - 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Ep. 1 Total
Best
Han/Tauntaun - 2

Worst
Chewbacca - 5
Ceremonial Luke - 1

tagmac
07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Time for the second group tally, as we look at the best overall of the Ep. I figures. Voting is now closed for each individual wave as we go with only the best and worst figures from each.

Best:
Darth Maul
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Masterpiece C-3PO
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike

Worst:
Stormtrooper Luke w/Dianoga Tentacle
Watto
Chewbacca 13"
Qui-Gon Jinn w/poncho
Anakin w/ Hanger Droid

**note** I'm not counting Maul w/Sith Speeder here, as it's basically the same figure as the first Maul. Consider these the same for this vote.

Best:
Darth Maul - It was a toss-up between this and the Biker Scout for me, but the Jedi/Sith figures win me over better than the Stormtrooper Armor which still wasn't perfect.

Worst:
Chewbacca 13" - this one had absolutely no redeeming qualities when compared to the rest of the worst.

Banthaholic
07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Best: Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike

Worst: Anakin w/ Hanger Droid (Anakin just scares me)

Tycho
07-24-2006, 11:47 PM
BEST: Bikerscout with Speederbike - it didn't get much better than this!

WORST: Chewbarkka

Bosskman
07-25-2006, 03:38 AM
Best - Biker Scout

Worst - Mrhankeythechristmasbeefjerkeybacca

Jaff
07-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Best:
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike - awesome fig.

Worst:
Qui-Gon Jinn w/poncho

JediTricks
07-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Best: Biker Scout

Worst: Qui-Gon Poncho

Reefer Shark
07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Best: Biker Scout

Worst: ChewedCrapa

tagmac
07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
The early results are in for the Episode 1 grouping, and here are the results:

Best:
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike - 6
Darth Maul - 1

Worst:
Chewbacca 13" - 4 (love the nicknames, guys :D )
Qui-Gon w/poncho - 2
Anakin w/ hangar droid - 1

And the results for the previous grouping once again:

Best:
Han/Tauntaun - 2
Electronic Vader -1
Ben Kenobi - 1
R2-D2 w/ tools -1
Tusken Raider - 1

Worst:
Chewbacca - 5
Ceremonial Luke - 1

Sad to see such a popular character get shafted in 12" form yet again, and I hope Sideshow makes up for it eventually. While Voting for Group 1 is closed, voting for group 2 will remain opened until we reach the end of the 2001-02 figures, and I tally up those results. Until then, I'll begin with the voting on the next wave of figures.

tagmac
07-27-2006, 09:03 AM
November, 2000 - February, 2001

With the end of the main Episode 1 line came some new exclusives, along with a new wave. These mixed in Episode 1 characters with those from the OT. The quality on these figures was overall, pretty good.

Sith Lords 2-pack: Darth Vader & Darth Maul - An ok two pack, but basically re-hashes. The Vader was almost identical to the 13" version, minus the electronics & with a removable hand. Maul was packaged in two pieces, to replicate his demise at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi. This was great for those who might have missed the first Vader and Maul figures, but was otherwise nothing special. I bought one when they went on sale at TRU, but it has since collected dust. I thought about selling this on ebay, but it's hardly worth selling anymore.

4-LOM - Finally, more bounty hunters! The droid featured a great head sculpt, and a body sculpt that was basically C-3PO rehashed, but painted well to stay pretty close to the movie. He came with a long rifle which was long enough to allow him to be posed holding the weapon on the ground, just like in the scene in ESB.

Bossk - This was THE figure for me out of this set. An excellent head sculpt, made better by a great costume, and properly sculpted hands and feet. I recall having some trouble getting Bossk to hold his rifle correctly, but otherwise I have no complaints about this figure.

IG-88 - To complete the bounty hunter set (so far), came another outstanding figure. This was highly sought after, especially by collectors how had not been able to find the rare vintage version. The sculpt and paint job were excellent, and he came with two rifles, just like the vintage. His bandolier was not sculpted on, but was a separate piece attatched to the figure. The icing on the cake - IG-88's legs could be extended to make this figure stand over 14" in height, thus close to scale. This was one feature I did not know existed unti lmonths later when I read about it on this site.

Luke Skywalker, 100th Edition w/accessories - This was meant to be the "definitive" Luke figure, but was basically a bunch of rehashes. The head sculpt was no different from the first few versions (only with the better hair color), and the only different outfits you could put on this luke were the Tatooine poncho, or his X-wing uniform. This was good for anyone who missed the previous releases, but seeing as how most collectors aren't in the habit of chaning clothes like Barbie dolls, this was a silly feature IMO. The large number of accessories was th one redeeming factor of this set, but it's popularity was not that great, as evidenced by it's shelfwarming, even after going on sale.

Captain Tarpals w/Kaadu (Target Exclusive) - This was a decent set, with a good sculpting job on both Tarpals and the Kaadu. The large feathers were movie accurate and a nice addition, and even better was the fact that the figure could actuallt stand with Tarpals sitting on his steed. While not a shelfwarmr, this set was noetheless one of the easier to find exclusives, as were most of those from Target at this time. I bought one of these, only to have the package get damaged thanks to a leaky roof during a rain storm (I had these in the crawlspace, and this was on top - I've since opened this one, and put a plastic bag around the other items still boxed in there).

Best: This was a close one, but I'm gonna go with Bossk over IG-88. The sculpt and costume win out over the extendable legs.

Worst: This is easily Luke Skywalker 100th Edition. A complete re-hash with very few redeeming qualities.

Jaff
07-27-2006, 09:19 AM
BEST - Bossk, what a great 12"

WORST - Darth Vader (from sith lords 2-pack) Darth did not improve the electronic version, and at least the 100th Luke came with new accessories not seen before.

Bosskman
07-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Best - Bossk (although there are many more awesome figures in this bunch, Bossk wins out in the end)

Worst - Vader (just cause I had to pick one)

btw, Luke was a different head sculpt.

Banthaholic
07-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Best IG-88 (he looks so darn cool)
Worst Vader

TheDarthVader
07-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I agree.

Best is IG-88
Worst is Sith Pack Vader

Tycho
07-27-2006, 10:48 AM
BEST: Bossk - I so wanted this!

WORST: Luke 100 - I didn't need him and it didn't do anything for me. Never bought him.

I remember how ecstatic I was when I learned they were making the 12" Bounty Hunters though. I'd longed for these. IG-88 really deserves an honorable mention as I always wanted the Kenner one when I was a kid. I actually saw him once in a KB toy store when I was a child, but he seemed a rather random secondary character to make as a 12" at that time and regretably, I turned him down. (I had Han, Chewie, Boba Fett, and C-3PO).

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 04:11 PM
And the results for the previous grouping once again:

Best:
Han/Tauntaun - 2
Electronic Vader -1
Ben Kenobi - 1
R2-D2 w/ tools -1
Tusken Raider - 1

Worst:
Chewbacca - 5
Ceremonial Luke - 1

Sad to see such a popular character get shafted in 12" form yet again, and I hope Sideshow makes up for it eventually. While Voting for Group 1 is closed, voting for group 2 will remain opened until we reach the end of the 2001-02 figures, and I tally up those results. Until then, I'll begin with the voting on the next wave of figures.I don't understand this second grouping thing, when was that posted? Did I vote on it? I don't remember voting on them.

Nov 00 group vote...

BEST: Tough choice, Tarpals w/ Kaadu set is pretty good, IG-88 is really good, but Bossk is a great figure. I'm going to give it to Bossk because he delivered everything just right by himself, Tarpals w/ Kaadu needs a beast to really make it shine brightly and IG-88's telescoping legs don't stay up very well.

WORST: 4-LOM is so crappy I didn't even buy him, a really shoddy-looking figure, very plasticky, minimal articulation, paint quality isn't even that good. There's no question in my mind this is the worst of that lot.

That Luke set has a lot of accessories, including the Stormtrooper belt and hook, I don't love the headsculpt (Bosskman is right, that figure had a new headsculpt, it wasn't very good though) but it's not terribly sucky on its own I think.

tagmac
07-27-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't understand this second grouping thing, when was that posted? Did I vote on it? I don't remember voting on them.

Sorry for any confusion. The group one I referred to was the final best/worst overall vote for the pre-Episode 1 figures (1996-1999). I checked back, and you did vote on that one. Group 2 represented the final best/worst overall vote for the Episode 1 era figures (1999-2000).

The current grouping that you just voted on is the first 5 of the 2000-2001 post Ep. 1 figures. I'll have a final "group 3 overall" vote after we get through all of the figures released in 2001.

Hope this clears things up.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Oh, ok. I thought that might be the case, but when both lists had Chewbacca listed, I figured I must be wrong - you may want to put "plush" and "plastic" next to their names to differentiate from each other in the future.

tagmac
07-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I gotcha. I've been trying to differentiate by referring to the second one as "Chewbacca 13"," but when we bring these groups back for the final poll down the road, I'll be more specific to make it easier for those voting.

Weekends are usually busy times for me to really sit and update the poll, and I apologize for being a day late, but I'll try to get this updated for the next wave later tonight.

tagmac
07-30-2006, 08:17 PM
As promised, here are the updated Tallies for the first Post-Ep 1 wave:

Best:
Bossk - 5
IG-88 - 2

Worst:
Vader (Sith 2-pack) - 4
Luke Skywalker, 100th ed. - 2
4-LOM - 1

tagmac
07-30-2006, 08:33 PM
August 2001 - November 2001

The next assortment of figures gave us only one truly new figure, with the rest being a combination of rehashes and repaints. Still, these were some new figures that were worth getting, especially for those who might have missed out on previous exclusives.

Death Star Droid and Mouse Droid - Basically a repaint of C-3PO with a different head, this was still a pretty cool figure. The inclusion of the mouse droid was somewhat repetitive, but good for anyone who were not able to find the Han/Luke Stormtrooper exclusive a few years earlier.

Death Star Trooper - While the figure suffers from a lack of poseability due to the nature of the joints (doesn't look good if trying for the typical Imperial pose of hands behind the back), this figure was actually two in one. Thanks to the smart inclusion of the officer's cap, you could change your trooper into an Imperial Officer. I actually bought two of these so as to be able to pose them both ways (although I admit, I'd have probably saved money on this were it today). While not the best, that certainly adds points to this figure.

Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise - Pretty much a rehash, this was noneheless a must-have for anyone who either missed the KB exclusive, or (like me) didn't want to open their exclusive because of it's rarity. Otherwise, the figure boasted nothing really new besides the section of pipe from the trash compacter used to brace the walls.

Luke Skywalker in Endor with Speeder Bike (Target exclusive) - Another great figure, with an excellent Luke figure on top of the same speder bike from the previous exclusive. Unlike the Scout version, this one was actually easier to find at retail (bought mine at a collectibles show tihnking it would be impossible to find, only to find 4 of them at Target a few weeks later), good news for anyone who missed out on the Biker Scout, but still wanted a 12" Speeder bike for their collection.

Luke Skywalker in Dagobah with Yoda (Wal-Mart exclusive) - Considering we'd already gotten both figures (remove Bespin Luke's jacket and you have this version), the new head and the inclusion of the backpack for Yoda made it great for posing. Although the nature of the figure meant the joints were visible, it did not detract too much from the figure IMO. Unfortunately, this one was not easy to find at retail, at least not in my area.

Best: Luke Skywalker w/ Yoda. While I wanted to say Luke w/ Speeder Bike, the fact that I already went with the Biker Scout version makes me want to go with a different figure.

Worst: Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise - not a bad figure overall, but the worst of this group.

TheDarthVader
07-30-2006, 10:04 PM
best is luke with speeder

worst is death star droid did not deserve the 12" treatment

JediTricks
07-30-2006, 10:20 PM
I did not buy 1 thing off this list! :D

BEST: Han Stormtrooper - he's got a removable helmet and an interesting new likeness, the original was hard to get.

WORST: This is a tough choice, but ultimately I remember this one as being the worst POS at the time, so Luke with Yoda, the figure is very thin and has a ridiculously long neck which the new head doesn't even fit, the head is way too big and a questionable likeness with annoying sculpted "loose" hair and weak paint, and speaking of weak paint, there's the monstrosity Hasbro pulled with that Yoda figure where they just dumped a bunch of yellow crap all over him - he looks like he said "I don't know" on You Can't Do That On Television and then didn't clean it off for a week. And this thing shelfwarmed SO badly in my area, I think it was there for 8 or 9 months gathering dust at every WM.

BTW, like 4-LOM, the Death Star Droid only shares its legs with the 12" C-3PO, the arms are retooled versions, the head is of course different, and both figures' torsos are different from 3PO.

Tycho
07-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I like Luke w. speederbike best. Another fine set with that bike!

Worst: Han Solo Stormtrooper - the only one from this list that I didn't buy. (I opened my KB Exclusive)

Maybe I should've voted for the Death Star Trooper / Imperial Officer. Like Tagmac, I bought multiples of this one (3 actually) to use to build my 12" troops.

By the way, I'm something of an expert on Mouse Droids, but I might be making a mistake here: I thought only Han and Luke Troopers (the KB 2-pack) came with the Mouse Droid. The 3 3/4" DSD came with one, but I don't recollect sniffing the 12" one with the DSD. I should remember that, shouldn't I? (My stuff is in storage)

Jaff
07-31-2006, 07:19 AM
Best - Luke Skywalker in Dagobah with Yoda. I'm not a big fan of the Yoda, but I love the Luke despite his long neck.

Worst - Death Star Droid and Mouse Droid. He was just a rehash, and the Mouse Droid was really not necessary since that item should have only been an exclusive to the Luke/Han 2 pack.

JediTricks
07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
By the way, I'm something of an expert on Mouse Droids, but I might be making a mistake here: I thought only Han and Luke Troopers (the KB 2-pack) came with the Mouse Droid. The 3 3/4" DSD came with one, but I don't recollect sniffing the 12" one with the DSD. I should remember that, shouldn't I? (My stuff is in storage)Some mouse droid expert you turned out to be! I mean, it's only the NAME OF THE SET: "Death Star Droid with Mouse Droid"
http://www.rebelscum.com/POTJ12deathstardroid.asp

:p

Tycho
07-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Darth Mouse: I have sinned!

That picture brings back a memory now: I deliberatly left that Mouse Droid sealed in the box when I opened my Death Star Droid so that I'd have a fresh one to sniff in case there was a shortage of plastic products I wanted to buy in the future and my old stuff ran out of fumes to snort.

This picture proves it. And it elates me because somewhere in my storage units there lies a fresh Mouse Droid of great proportions ready for me to inhale!

Reefer Shark
07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
My votes for the last two waves:

Best: IG88 - I agree on the weak telescoping legs point. Aside from that, I love this figure. I remember being so happy to find this guy (partially because I never got the vintage 12er).

Worst: 50th Luke - another buffed out Luke with a crappy likeness. The extra accessories didn't seem like they were worth the price hike either so I passed on this guy.

--

Best: Luke Speeder - the figure has it's faults, but I just cant deny that bike. Also, you kinda need this one to go with the Biker Scout set. Honorable mention goes to the Death Star Droid. I know he isn't popular, but I really like the look of him. The mouse droid sucks though lol

Worst: Dagobah Luke/Yoda - Yoda has the absolute worst paint job ever. Then we have buffed out, short-limbed, ugly-mugged, goose-necked Luke. Hasbro could've done so much better with this set IMO.

Banthaholic
07-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Best: Death Star Droid and Mouse Droid
Worst: Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise

tagmac
08-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, the results for Wave 2 were pretty close, with no figure really sanding out above the rest. Still, we managed to get one to come out on top in each category. Here are the results:

Best:
Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear w/ Speeder Bike - 3
Luke Skywalker in Dagobah Outfit w/ Yoda - 2
Death Star Droid - 1
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise - 1

Worst:
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise - 3
Death Star Droid - 2
Luke Skywalker in Dagobah Outfit w/ Yoda - 2

And here are the new tallies for wave 1:

Best:
Bossk - 5
IG-88 - 3

Worst:
Darth Vader (Sith 2-pack) - 4
Luke Skywalker, 100th ed. - 3
4-LOM - 1

tagmac
08-02-2006, 06:34 PM
April-May, 2002

Attack of the Clones fever is under way. With Midnight Madness #2 came a brand new set of figures from the new movie, followed by one more exclusive a few weeks later.

Anakin Skywalker - After the lousy job we got on kiddie Anakin from Episode 1, this figure was a large improvement. The costume looked good, but unfortunately Hasbro was no longer making Jedi figures with robes, which had made all the previous Jedi figures look really great. The likeness was not very good either, and although this wasn't the worst figure, there were many better ones.

Clone Trooper - At first glance, this looked like a great figure. However, the head was a bit misshapen, and the body again suffered from the chunky armor (although not as bad as the stormtroopers). Even worse, the heads on these were made of a bad plastic, and yellowed very quickly in the package, within a matter of months, even if kept in darkness (as I found with mine, which yellowed even though it was packed away). The rest of the body stayed white, so any figures that sat on shelves for more than a month looked awful, as if they'd been left out in the sun for too long.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Once again we got a decent Kenobi figure, albeit without his outer robe. The likeness wasn't great, but wasn't too bad either. One of the better figures to come out at the time.

Mace Windu (Toys R Us exclusive) - An ok figure, but hardly popular enough to warrant being an exclusive. This was basically a rehash of the one released the previous year, only without the outer robe and with the corect lightsaber. While not a bad figure, it wasn't all that neccessary (Padme or Palpatine would have been a better choice here), and so these things sat on the shelves for months after AOTC was gone from theaters.

Best: Obi-Wan Kenobi. I wasn't all that impressed by this group, but this one stands out the most for me.

Worst: Clone Trooper - poor job by Hasbro, using cheap plastic that made this figure look ridiculous. I see a date with touch-up paint for many of these figures as collectors take these things out of storage over time.

Tycho
08-02-2006, 09:53 PM
BEST: Anakin Skywalker - I like this one, his costume, his sculpt, etc.

WORST: Clone Trooper - Tagmac said it well already.

I wanted to point out that Mace had a new head sculpt on the AOTC version. The TPM one is far superior (and it has a Jedi robe).

And at least Hasbro made Obi-Wan Kenobi in their initial wave. I can't believe they did two waves for ROTS without him! That's why I'm so excited for whenever SideShow ships theirs!

JediTricks
08-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I also was going to point out that Saga Mace has an entirely new head sculpt, and I would argue that it's a superior likeness.

This is another group that I didn't buy anything from, it all looked pretty weak.

BEST: Mace Windu - this is a good likeness, and they did a good job with the lightsaber hilt.

WORST: So many to choose from, but Anakin Skywalker takes the crap-cake, this thing is the wrong height, his outfit is all thick so he looks fat, his likeness is unrecognizable, he's got the rooted-hair padawan braid that looks ridiculous, and his head is HUUUUUGE!

Tycho
08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
But his head was huge in the movie!

"Some day I will be the most powerful Jedi ever!" - A.S.

Banthaholic
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Best: Clone Trooper, I actually liked it
Worst: Anakin Skywalker

tagmac
08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
In the hopes that some more people will respond, i'm gonna hold off on updating for today. Won't be back online til Sunday, so I'll post the results and next grouping then.

Reefer Shark
08-04-2006, 07:43 PM
These all sucked, one of the worst waves in the line.

Best: Obi-Wan - and that's only because he looks halfway decent with a borrowed robe, (I used a Qui-Gon robe). I didn't buy him until '05, and that was because I was planning on doing a custom General Kenobi in clone armor.

Worst: They're all stinkers, but if I have to pick one I'll go with Clone Trooper. Apparently Hasbro didn't learn anything from their first Stormtrooper, as this had all the same problems (and then some). Hasbro just still couldn't let go from using those buffed out, unproportional bodies for Star Wars figures, so they had to make big chunky armor to fit these monsters.

Still, I bought one in 05 to repaint and use his head with the Obi-Wan mentioned above (I kept the gun and head, threw the body away).

tagmac
08-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Here's the votes for the first Ep. II figures as they stand now, although I noticed a few reg. posters missing, so I'm hoping these will get a few more votes soon. These were all pretty close, with none really standing out over the other, suggesting the mediocrity that was starting to infect the 12" line at this point.

Best:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 2
Anakin Skywalker - 1
Clone Trooper - 1
Mace Windu - 1

Worst:
Clone Trooper - 3
Anakin Skywalker - 2
Obi-Wan Kenobi.

tagmac
08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
June, 2002

The next group of Episode 2 figures hits, but all but one are exclusives that were best ordered online (although the KB exclusives were available in stores).

Red Clone Trooper (Kay Bee exclusive) - This was basically the same figure as the original clone trooper, only with red stripes to denote rank, and one important improvement - the plastic for the head was of better quality and didn't yellow like the first version. Overall, a bland figure that was great for army builders, but not much else. These did not fly off shelves the same way their 3 3/4" counterparts still do.

Yellow Clone Trooper (Kay Bee exclusive) - Same as above, only with the yellow rank stripes. Personally, I think they could have altered the head and added a chest piece to make this into the pilot, but for army builders, this was another piece to have.

Ki-Adi Mundi (Star Wars Fan Club exclusive) - A pretty nice figure, and the only Jedi figure that wasn't supposed to come with a robe (which improves the quality, since it wasn't missing anything). The likeness was pretty good, as well.

Jango Fett with accessories - The "ultimate" Jango figure, this came with two sets of armor, two rocket packs (Kamino & Geonosis versions), and a removable helmet. The details on this figure were great, and allowed you to remove all of the armor to mimic the scene where Obi-Wan first meets Jango. A must have, and one of the better figures to come out at this time.

Best: Jango Fett - a poor wave overall, this one stands out among the rest.
Worst: Yellow Clone Trooper, due to the wasted opportunity for the pilot.

Tycho
08-07-2006, 02:04 PM
BEST: JANGO FETT - I think he'll make a clean sweep perhaps. However, you can not remove all his armor to imitate the scene where Obi-Wan meets him in his apartment. I had to buy a 21st Century Toys Navy uniform (from one war era or another) to get a shirt and pants that were right for this scene - and I think Jango is still wearing wrist rockets on his forearms even under those new shirt sleeves - which would not be movie accurate.

However, all the accessories and gear he comes with makes him one of the best 12" figures ever done. This was well worth my while. I bought 2 of them -one for the custom I just mentioned.

KI-ADI MUNDI deserves a lot of props. He is one of the best sculpts ever and easily stands up to even SideShow's quality so much that I plan on using this Ki for my 12" Jedi Council scene, along with SideShow's Kit Fisto and whichever others from Hasbro and SideShow I feel are appropriate. Ki deserves to be mentioned. Jango just outguns him - literally.

WORST: (yellow) CLONE COMMANDER - not a bad figure, but I like the red captain's look better and I had to pick ONE...

Banthaholic
08-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Best: Jango Fett, nicely done and one of my favorites
Worst: Red clone, not that I don't like it just like Ki Adi better and liked the fact the yellow clone was one we didn't get in the 3 3/4" at the time

Tycho
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
and liked the fact the yellow clone was one we didn't get in the 3 3/4" at the time

But we got a yellow-striped Wampa in the 12" line :D

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Another group I didn't buy any of, though I did lament not getting Jango later (though he did NOT look good enough to be $40 because of how tapered this fig was).

BEST: Jango, Ki-Adi-Mundi has a better outfit and more interesting sculpt, but I hate him and Jango has the accessories which is what it's all about to me.

WORST: Yellow Clone, I remember him having a paint tint issue when he came out, slightly green, made some collectors mad.

Bosskman
08-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Best - Jango

Worst - Yellow Clone

Reefer Shark
08-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Best: Jango - It was a little tough for me between him and Ki, but Jango's likeness, better body, and multiple display options makehim the winner.

Worst: Yellow Clone - Both clones sucked equally. The only reason I voted for him is because I like the color red better than yellow.

tagmac
08-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Well, the newest tally was nearly unanimous, although like the last couple of groups, the voting is still open. Anyway, here are the results so far for Wave 3:

Best:
Jango Fett - 6

Worst:
Yellow Clone Trooper - 5
Red Clone Trooper - 1

tagmac
08-09-2006, 11:57 PM
August-September, 2002

The end of the summer brought us some brand new figures, including one exclusive. The hype for AOTC was all but dead at this point, although the toys were still going strong, thanks in part to some of the higher quality figures in this wave.

Count Dooku - The best likeness ever on a 12" figure, coupled with an awesome costume made this the must-have figure of the Episode 2 line. Surprisingly, this was actually easy to find in stores, and nowhere near as rare as Maul had been.

Zam Wessell - the costume on this figure was great, but the likeness was way off. This figure also suffered from "swelled head syndrome" on top of a super thin, Barbie-style body that looked nearly ridiculous. This was not the worst figure by far, but it could have been a lot better.

Super Battle Droid - This was a pretty plain figure, with no major accessories to make it a stand-out figure. While the sculpt was pretty good, the figure itself just seemed so...boring.

Luke Skywalker in Hoth with Tauntaun (Toys R Us exclusive) - Once again we got an awesome Tauntaun sculpt, with a movie-accurate broken horn (which also differentiated it from the Tauntaun that came with Hoth Han). The Luke figure was basically a rehash of the previous versions, once again with the head scarf wrapped around Luke's neck rather than hanging from his hat like in the movie. This was very easy to find, considering the top quality of the figure. I guess many collector felt that having one Tauntaun was good enough.

Best: Count Dooku - the likeness alone could make this figure a serious contender for best overall.

Worst: Zam Wessel - a wasted opportunity on a completely out-of-proportion figure.

Tycho
08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
BEST: Count Dooku - he easily stands his own with SideShow figures. I bought 2 Dookus as a matter of fact, thinking he was perfect and I'd use him in an E3 12" scene. That will work. I won't need to get SideShow's eventual release of "Darth Tyranus" and I'll save some money. Good job on this one, Hasbro!

WORST: Super Battle Droid. This was mostly a horrible wave, coupled with Dooku, one of the best figures they've ever done. But I'll forgive Zam as she was a minor, throw-away character. She should've had a removeable arm, let alone real clothing on her arms (Ponda Baba had real clothing that separated to allow for his removeable arm action feature!) Zam just sucked. But the Super Battle Droid appeared fighting Jedi, Clones, even Wookiees and Utopau Warriors by Episode 3. Why it did not have turning wrists that were articulated so it would look like it was shooting is beyond me. That would have been 2, or even 1 if they were that cheap, more simple piece of articulation. The figure was also top heavy and stood on weak plastic legs. Finally, it was inaccurately painted. I like Super Battle Droids in Star Wars movies, but this figure annoyed me!

Bosskman
08-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Best - Dooku
Worst - Butch Wessel

JediTricks
08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
BEST: Count Dooku - the new body plus a good likeness and a decent outfit make for a decent figure. He can't hold his saber well due to the new body design, but it's still far superior to anything else in the wave.

WORST: This was a toss-up between the Super Battle Droid, who was hollow and blandly-painted and barely articulation, came up very plasticky; and Zam Wesell who was embarassingly bad with her crappy likeness, gigantic head, skinny sad doll body, sculpted upper body clothing, and puffy pants - there may be more good aspects to the figure, but its failures make that all the worse because they clearly TRIED in some respects and failed miserably. I didn't get either figure because of how bad they looked, but in retrospect I definitely regret not getting the SBD over Zam when I saw them at clearance (and can still find Zam at clearance 4 years later), so Zam Wesell is my vote.

tagmac
08-12-2006, 02:22 PM
It's gotten kinda' quiet in this thread, so I'll let it go another day before tallying the votes. Hope a few more peeps join in.

Tycho
08-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I've missed having new 12" figures to vote on. So far as I remember, there's still Yoda, the single-boxed Bikerscout, the Ewoks 2-pack, and ROTS figures like the 2-headed Anakin / Darth Vader kit and Shaak-Ti amongst others to vote on (like General Grievous!).

The end of the line is approaching, but it still had some excitement there.

I've used this poll to help me create an inventory list for my 12" that were put in storage (I plan on bringing home my Grievous and Hasbro Jabba's Palace figures to go with the SideShow stuff I ordered. I'm considering doing the same for some Jedi Council figures, but just don't think that will be as fun to set up as "guys just standing there."

Now that I've thought about how good Hasbro's Ki-Adi Mundi is, I actually would hunt down 1 more via eBay or somewhere (yeah, I'll search ZoBid first) if SideShow has plans to ever make the Galactic Marine and Commander Bacara. How cool would those be in 12" form?!

Jaff
08-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Been out of town for a week, gotta catch up.

Episode II 1st wave - Like Reefer Shark said, they all didn't look great!

Best - Obi-Wan
Worst - Clone Trooper

Episode II - Various pieces

Best - Jango is great, but Ki-Adi Mundi wins it because I love the character and the 12" looked great.
Worst - Yellow Clone, just because I like the color red better.

Episode II 2nd wave

Best - Count Dooku (awesome)
Worst - Zam (yucky, even though the outfit was nice)

tagmac
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Once again we've got a sweep in the best category, with the worst nearly unanimous as well. The Superior sculpt of Dooku really won out this time, and is a figure that I suspect will compete for best overall when we get to the next group vote for the post-Ep. I era figures (from 2001-02) later this week. Here are the results so far for Ep. II, Wave 4:

Best:
Count Dooku - 5

Worst:
Zam Wessel - 4
Super Battle Droid - 1

And adding in Jaff's votes, here are the totals for the two previous waves.

Wave 2

Best:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 3
Anakin Skywalker - 1
Clone Trooper - 1
Mace Windu - 1

Worst:
Clone Trooper - 4
Anakin Skywalker - 2

Wave 3

Best:
Jango Fett - 7

Worst:
Yellow Clone Trooper - 6
Red Clone Trooper - 1

tagmac
08-14-2006, 02:34 PM
September-October 2002

This next wave of figures went away from the Episode 2 line, but gave us some better quality figures in the process. The bounty hunter set could finally be completed, while army builders and diorama builders could rejoice with two other quality figures. (note: as with Ep. 1, I'm leaving the two electronic figures off the list. IMO, their lack of cloth costumes and lousy head sculpts mean they don't really belong with the regular 12" line, but are only considered part of the group due to their size).

Dengar - A bit diappointing, as the armor made it difficult to pose this figure, and the head was a bit too large, making it stand out more than the rest of the torso. Still, this was a must have to complete the bounty hunter set, although Hasbro could have done better (like cloth bandages over the face, rather than the sculpted plastic).

Zuckuss - The final bounty hunter of the series had a great costume, but the oversized head was a mild disappointment on an otherwise great figure. The sculpt was outstanding, but it should have been more in proportion with the body.

Imperial Officer - For what could have been a total rehash of the Death Star Trooper, this figure came with a gray officer's uniform, perfect for army/diorama builders to include with their black-uniformed officers, and even featured a different head sculpt complete with gray hair and sideburns (yes, this looked a bit ridiculous, but was actually accurate in terms of the look of the officers in ANH.

Best: An improvement overall from previous waves, but not without it's flaws. Regardless, have to go with Zuckuss, as this figure's good points outweigh the bad.

Worst: I have to go with Dengar here, because of the cheap plastic head sculpt that really took away from what this figure could have been.

Tycho
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
BEST: Dengar. This was his first modern figure to include his backpack and I just got pretty excited about that. I felt he was nicely done myself.

WORST: Rehashing the TaunTaun again didn't inspire me. Didn't we even vote on this set with Luke before? Or is it new because this is the bloodied face variation on Luke? Either way it is tempting to vote for -as is the Imperial Officer - but only because I'm not fond of sideburns. In the end I'll vote against the rehash though.

JediTricks
08-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, back up Tagmac, you already had the Luke w/ Tauntaun in the PREVIOUS wave's choices just 1 page back, post 184. Tycho's "worst" vote for it can't count because he already had the opportunity in the previous wave.

Anyway...

BEST: Zuckuss, the only figure from the wave I actually got, it was on clearance. The head is way oversized, but the figure's detailing is great. I believe this is the last Hasbro 12" I ever bought (I bought it after 12" VOTC Fett and 12" KB Gamorrean Guard and 12" Leia Speederbike).

WORST: Dengar, even on clearance I wouldn't buy this turkey, and I saw him on clearance for $5 once! The armor didn't look right on this body and the head looked really bad in size and paint and use of plastic, I had no problem keeping this loser out of my collection.

Non-Mention: Imperial Officer, too late, too boring, too specific of a headsculpt. I love how the box says it's from ESB yet shows Moff Jerjerrod from ROTJ while the figure appears to be an officer from ANH complete with weird British actor's face and '70s sideburns.

Bosskman
08-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Best - Zuckuss
Worst - Luke

tagmac
08-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, back up Tagmac, you already had the Luke w/ Tauntaun in the PREVIOUS wave's choices just 1 page back, post 184. Tycho's "worst" vote for it can't count because he already had the opportunity in the previous wave.

Whoops!! :whip: This is what happens when I'm off the thread for several days.

I'll edit the thread, and we'll keep the wave at just the three figures. Tycho, if you don't mind, please cast a new "worst" vote for this wave.

Thanks for the catch, JT. I'll take a mulligan on this one.

TheDarthVader
08-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I told myself I was going to keep up with this damn thread and haven't done so.

Best------ZUCKUSS
Worst-----LUKE

tagmac
08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Guys, for those who picked Luke, please change your votes, if you don't mind. I screwed up and counted him twice, as he was actually up for a vote in the previous wave. I've already removed him from the descriptions for this wave. I was away from this thread for a few days, and didn't pay attention when I returned to update it today. :confused: :speech:

Jaff
08-15-2006, 02:54 AM
BEST - Zuckuss, he is still my favorite 12" made to date!
WORST - I like the Imperial Commander, but Dengar is awesome. This one is just a good 12"

Bosskman
08-15-2006, 03:47 AM
I guess by default my new WORST has to be the imp officer, but only because it's the worst of the 3.

I am actually seriously considering getting rid of MOST of my Hasbro 12" figures after getting hooked on the Sideshow ones the bounty hunter lineup, howver, aint goin' nowhere (except for maybe in the closet, but I'll always keep them).

Tycho
08-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I'll revote:

BEST: stays at Dengar

WORST: Imperial Officer by default. They really needed to make a 12" barber to go along with this guy.

JediTricks
08-15-2006, 02:13 PM
"Mulligan accepted, Captain Needa."

(dude, that is just a sigline waiting to happen!!! :D )

tagmac
08-16-2006, 07:06 PM
A small wave gave usonly a handful of responses, but hopefully we'll get a few more peeps to back-vote. Anyway, here is the tally for wave 4:

Best:
Zuckuss - 5
Dengar - 1

Worst:
Imperial Officer - 3
Dengar - 2

One more group coming up from 2001-02, and then we'll tally up the top figures for the third run-off.

tagmac
08-16-2006, 07:22 PM
November - December, 2002

Geonosian Warrior - A good sculpt, but an otherwise boring figure. There were other characters that probably could have been done in 12" form, but at least this was a character that played a major role in AOTC. Not a must-have, but one worth getting for dioramas and army-building.

Anakin Skywalker w/ Slashing Action - I don't know what this Anakin was supposed to be doing, but the look on the face was ridiculous, and made it look as if he was doing something other than battling Count Dooku. The removable arm with the robot version was a nice touch, and this figure came with two lightsabers, but the slashing attack feature was lame. This was a needless rehash of a figure we'd already gotten.

Padme Amidala - Finally we get a 12" Padme as part of the main line, and Hasbro found a way to mess it up. The costume was great, and the hairdo was accurate, but the figure suffered from the same swelled-head syndrome that plagued Zam, and the "hair" was actually molded plastic. This was worth getting as part of the collection, but was a poor effort by Hasbro.

Boussh with Carbonite Block (Toys R us Exclusive) - For those who were unable to find the KB 3-pack, this was a great way to get the Boushh figure that was missed. However, the figure was pretty much a rehash with a different headsculpt, that wasn't much better than the first one. The carbonite block took this set down even further. Instead of that great molded plastic version we got earlier with Han Solo, this was merely a flat plastic hologram that lit up red to mimic the decarbonization scene. Overall, I thought the feature was lame, and since I already had the KB version, I left this one on the shelf. Not surprisingly, it ended up on clearance months later.

January, 2003
Plo Koon (Star Wars Fan Club exclusive) - Since this was the only new figure we'd see for several months, I decided to include it with the 2002 group. This was a great figure, marred only by it's lack of a Jedi robe. The head sculpt was amazing, as were the hands, and the outfit was as good as any of the previous Jedi figures. This was initially meant to be an online store exclusive, but after a delay, it was relegated to the fan club, making this a bit overpriced, but well worth the wait.

Best: Plo Koon all the way. This one stands out big time over the rest of the wave, and just might have a chance in the upcoming run-off vote for 2001-02.

Worst: I'm gonna go with Anakin Skywalker w/ Slashing Action, because of that ridiculous head sculpt, although Padme is a close second here.

Tycho
08-16-2006, 07:49 PM
BEST: Plo Koon -definitely. The Geonosian sort of loses, even for being an entirely new body sculpt, because it was very limited in articulation. Several extra points on the arms would have been all it took. Ah well. You know: I wonder if SideShow could take over the tooling on a Hasbro sculpt like this one (to cut their costs) and just tool more articulation into it. For the Geonosian and the Super Battle Droid, this would do wonders!

WORST: Sad, but this is where the competition is:

Anakin is aweful - the face and lame action feature that's not really one.

Leia is a Barbie - with smiling action. (People in Star Wars movies hardly ever smile!)

Padme is annorexic with a giant head and gross plastic worms in her hair.

It's a very tough competition for the worst here, but Padme nails it.

That's saying something in this group!

Oh was SideShow a blessing!

Reefer Shark
08-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Man, haven't been here in a while... I have some catching up to do:

Best: Zuckuss - This guy actually turned out way better than the prototype pictures (which is very rare). Just look at the color of his robe on the pics vs the actual figure to see what I mean.

Worst: Dengar - he would have been perfect if the just used the regular proportioned body, and armor. Instead we got yet another Stay Puft Marshmallow man..

----

Best: Count Dooku - Probably the best 1/6 figure Hasbro has ever done.

Worst: Zam Wesell - for all the reasons already mentioned

----

Best: Plo Koon - never got him, always wanted him (and still do) Ah well, maybe Sideshow will do him for the Order Of The Jedi line.

Worst: Padme - well, all the rest of the figures sucked really badly, but Padme just looked to most silly to me, so she got my vote (at least you could hide Liea's barbie head under her helmet).

JediTricks
08-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Another wave I didn't buy any of...

BEST: it's almost not fair to put Plo Koon in here, virtually nobody got this figure from the Fan Club, its release was a disaster. I guess Plo Koon though is the only one that doesn't suck bad from this wave so by default he gets it, but I hate voting for a figure I've never seen in person.

WORST: holy crap there's a lot of losers on this list, but in the end it's between Padme's barbie body and plastic hose-hair, and Anakin's Michael Rappaport face. Padme's got a giant head, but Anakin's got a stupid gimmick and a horrible head. Anakin has 2 lightsabers and the robo-hand, Padme has her gun and belt and a vague likeness to the character. If I could have it a tie I would, they're both incredibly repulsive, but since I doubt I'm going to be allowed a tie I'm going to say Anakin just because of how bad that face is - it's REAL bad.

Jaff
08-18-2006, 03:38 PM
BEST - Plo Koon
WORST - Jedi tricks nails it - Anakin's face is just aweful

Banthaholic
08-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Best: Zuckuss
Worst: Dengar

Best: Geonosian Warrior , I just can't vote Plo Koon, never got it, grrrr...
Worst: Padme, I didn't even have the heart to take this one off of the shelf

Bosskman
08-19-2006, 06:11 AM
I'll vote for 2 figures I din't get

Best - Plo Koon (couldn't find him anywhere)

Worst - Padme (horrendous figure, didn't even consider getting this one)

tagmac
08-20-2006, 10:41 PM
As we come to the end of the 2001-2002 waves of figures, here is the tally for the wave 6. The best was nearly unanimous, but the worst came in extremely close.

Best:
Plo Koon - 6
Geonosian Warrior - 1

Worst:
Padme - 4
Anakin w/ Slashing Action - 3

And with the additional votes, here are the new totals for the previous two waves:

Wave 5
Best:
Zuckuss - 7
Dengar - 1

Worst:
Dengar - 4
Imperial Officer - 3

Big change here, as Dengar now takes the worst honors, and will return for the upcoming third run-off vote.

Wave 4:
Best:
Count Dooku - 6

Worst:
Zam Wessel - 5
Super Battle Droid - 1

No major changes here.

tagmac
08-20-2006, 10:53 PM
We now come to the third run-off vote, the winners of which will return in the final best/worst vote with all the other run-off winners. Voting for the previous waves is now closed. Here are the the figures to be voted on now:

Best:
Bossk
Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear w/ Speederbike
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episode 2)
Jango Fett
Count Dooku
Zuckuss
Plo Koon

Worst:
Darth Vader - Sith Lords 2-pack
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise
White Clone Trooper (Episode 2)
Yellow Clone Trooper (Episode 2)
Zam Wessel
Dengar
Padme (Episode 2)

These are both extremely tough votes for me, as the best were all top quality here, while the worst were all pretty bad.

Best: While Luke and Zuckuss rank high up there for me, I've gotta go with Count Dooku. The likeness puts this figure over the top, as it was the best on any Hasbro figure, and even better than what we've seen on some of the Sideshow human characters.

Worst: While the yellowing clone heads really annoyed me, it was a toss-up between the two female characters. In the end, I'm going with Zam Wessel, as the oversized helmet made her oversized head look even worse on the Barbie-body than it did on Padme.

Tycho
08-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Dang it guys! This one's really hard.

WORST: Padme - Zam Wessel was bad, but I can't forgive them messing up a main character so bad!

BEST: It comes down to Jango, Dooku, and Luke on the speederbike. I agree that Dooku was the best sculpt. However, Luke was incredibly versatile and a hero character your collection couldn't do without. Meanwhile, Jango was THE WAY Hasbro needed to accessorize 12" characters - I mean Jango had more stuff than a SideShow figure! I'm in the mood to root for the hero though and I think if I couldn't do without any of those 3 figures, it'd be Luke. He'll take my vote for best.

This was a good group of figures.

Jaff
08-21-2006, 05:13 AM
BEST - Zuckuss, an awesome 12" that I dreamed of having since the early 80's.

WORST - Padme (Episode 2)

Bosskman
08-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Best - Zuckuss
Worst - Padme

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 03:20 PM
BEST: Bossk, they did such a good job with this figure, and he's action-y, and he's such a "wow" piece, plus his head isn't ridiculously oversized. Dooku was very nearly my choice, but he's not quite as "wow" as my first choice.

WORST: Zam Wesell, far and away the worst of the lot, clearanced the longest too. Padme and Dengar were close second choices here, but Zam is just so damn awful.

tagmac
08-24-2006, 08:03 PM
It's been awful quiet in here the last couple days, so I'll give it anoher day before posting the next group of figures. Here's the early tally for the third run-off vote, although voting for this is still open. Hope to see some more folks join in. The "Best" group is spread pretty thin, although the worst group is pretty much what I think many expected it to be.

Best:
Zuckuss - 2
Count Dooku - 1
Bossk - 1
Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear - 1

Worst
Padme - 3
Zam Wessel - 2

Turbowars
08-24-2006, 09:28 PM
It's been awful quiet in here the last couple days, so I'll give it anoher day before posting the next group of figures. Here's the early tally for the third run-off vote, although voting for this is still open. Hope to see some more folks join in. The "Best" group is spread pretty thin, although the worst group is pretty much what I think many expected it to be.

Best:
Zuckuss - 2
Count Dooku - 1
Bossk - 1

Worst
Padme - 3
Zam Wessel - 2I'll vote Zucky for best and Padme for the worst.

I totally forgot about this thread.

Banthaholic
08-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Best: Zuckuss
Worst Padme

tagmac
08-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Here are the new totals for Group 3 of the run-off votes:

Best:
Zuckuss - 4
Count Dooku - 1
Bossk - 1

Worst
Padme - 5
Zam Wessel - 2

Voting on this group will remain open until the next run-off grouping, although I'll doubt it would change much. I have to admit I'm surprised Dooku didn't win here, but Zuckuss certainly deserved it.

Here are the totals again for the previous run-off groupings:

Group 1
Best:
Han/Tauntaun - 2
Electronic Vader -1
Ben Kenobi - 1
R2-D2 w/ tools -1
Tusken Raider - 1

Worst:
Chewbacca - 5
Ceremonial Luke - 1

Group 2
Best:
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike - 6
Darth Maul - 1

Worst:
Chewbacca 13" - 4
Qui-Gon w/poncho - 2
Anakin w/ hangar droid - 1

And now on to the figures from 2003.

tagmac
08-25-2006, 11:45 PM
April-May, 2003

As we near the beginning of the end of the Hasbro 12" line, the number of figures being produced began to drop considerably. After waiting a few months, we finally got some new figures. Unfortunately, these did not hit store shelves too heavily until several months after their release, with places like Entertainment Earth going so far as to say these were discontinued.

Han Solo w/ Quick-draw action - It was bad enough that the quality of the line was diminishing. Why they would make a ridiculous re-hash of this figure I have no idea. There were plenty of characters yet to be made, and all we got here was a poor "new" likeness, and an action feature that was pathetic and hardly worked. This was one that, when I finally found it, left on the shelf.

Lando Calrissian Skiff Guard - Proof that the line hadn't completely gone into the toilet, here was a nice figure with a great costume and mask. The likeness wasn't all that great, but the mask hid that imperfection. I was most disappointed to initially hear these were discontinued because of this figure, but when I finally found it, it was worth the wait.

AT-ST Driver - While a new character, this was yet another figure that had me asking "Why?" when there were still bigger characters that hadn't been made. Regardless, this was a decent-looking figure, although the helmet was a bit large and bulky looking, which took away from the overall quality of the figure.

Gammorean Guard (Kay Bee Exclusive) - This was actually a well-sculpted figure that looked great and was made to scale. It also ranks as one of the easiest exclusives to find, as KB was swimming in these, and eventually stuck them on clearance. The reason for this (besides waning interest in the 12" line) was likely the ridiculously high price-point that only us die-hards were willing to pay.

Best: This is actually a tough one for me, having to choose between the two Jabba's palace figures. I'm gonna go with Lando Skiff Guard here, just because the difficulty to find this figure made him that much more valuable to me.

Worst: Without a doubt, the unneccessary Han Solo w/ Quick-Draw action gets the nod here.

Tycho
08-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Gosh you're right: that Han Solo was aweful. I never bought it but I used to pick it up in the toy store just so I could laugh at it and that Hasbro let that pass quality control. I heard the guy who sculpted it was also Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon!

WORST: HAN SOLO without a doubt. There seems to be a tradition of screwing up sculpts of Harrison Ford and unfortunately I have to say that SideShow is barely doing any better with it. Those Indiana Jones and Han figures by another company (the Han in Stormtrooper disguise) were incredibly awesome and even put SideShow to shame. THAT is the way to do Harrison!

BEST: LANDO - I think his uniform, the gun in the holster and the force pike accessory, plus the helmet, and a not-perfect-but-better-than-Bespin-Edition-head-sculpt come together to make one fine figure. I was really pleased with the Gamorrean too, but I would have been more impressed if it had a little more articulation. It is a fine figure though and I bought 2 of them. They'll be coming home to display with my SideShow Jabba the Hutt when SS is ready to send me that order. But Lando will be joining the display too. I have no intention of replacing that figure in my collection with a SS. If they do Lando, I want the General's outfit made from ROTJ.

Bosskman
08-27-2006, 05:45 AM
Best - Lando (with Gammorean as a close second)
Worst - Han

Jaff
08-27-2006, 08:56 AM
BEST - It's either Gamorean Guard or Lando. Love Gamorean, but everyone is right about Lando. He's too cool for school.

WORST - Why on earth did we need another HAN SOLO!

Reefer Shark
08-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Best: AT-ST Driver - surprised there aren't anymore votes for him. He is an excellent figure, just as good (if not better) than Lando IMO. I really liked the fact that his goggles were seperate from his helmet. Little details like that make me happy :)

Worst: Han Solo - I thought the Gam Guard was kinda crappy too. Horrible paint really messed this guy up. His POTF2 articulation didn't help things either. I'm suprised he's getting so much praise here.

Reefer Shark
08-27-2006, 01:26 PM
We now come to the third run-off vote, the winners of which will return in the final best/worst vote with all the other run-off winners. Voting for the previous waves is now closed. Here are the the figures to be voted on now:

Best:
Bossk
Luke Skywalker in Endor Gear w/ Speederbike
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episode 2)
Jango Fett
Count Dooku
Zuckuss
Plo Koon

Worst:
Darth Vader - Sith Lords 2-pack
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise
White Clone Trooper (Episode 2)
Yellow Clone Trooper (Episode 2)
Zam Wessel
Dengar
Padme (Episode 2)

These are both extremely tough votes for me, as the best were all top quality here, while the worst were all pretty bad.

Best: While Luke and Zuckuss rank high up there for me, I've gotta go with Count Dooku. The likeness puts this figure over the top, as it was the best on any Hasbro figure, and even better than what we've seen on some of the Sideshow human characters.

Worst: While the yellowing clone heads really annoyed me, it was a toss-up between the two female characters. In the end, I'm going with Zam Wessel, as the oversized helmet made her oversized head look even worse on the Barbie-body than it did on Padme.

Oh crap, I forgot to vote on this one.

Best: Dooku
Worst: Hard pick between Padme and Zam... I'll go with Zam Wessel

JediTricks
08-27-2006, 09:06 PM
BEST: Gamorrean Guard, which isn't saying much because this hollow piece of junk is poorly articulated, painted crappily, and can't hold his undersized axes right. But Lando is way too dark compared to Billy Dee, the sculpt is questionable, and the helmet doesn't show his face all of which really bugged me maybe more than they should have even.

WORST: Han Solo looks like butt all the way across the board, the head doesn't even fit on the body, the neck meets in the middle and shows the head side is WAY bigger than it should be, and that likeness is dubious on its very best day.

tagmac
08-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, the results are in and they were almost unanimous.

Best:
Lando in Skiff Guard Disguise - 4AT-ST Driver - 1
Gammorean Guard - 1

Worst:
Han Solo w/ Quick-Draw Action - 6

And the updated totals for the third run-off:

Best:
Zuckuss - 4
Count Dooku - 2
Bossk - 1

Worst
Padme - 5
Zam Wessel - 3

tagmac
08-29-2006, 06:28 PM
June/July 2003

One new exclusive and a brand new wave of figures hits store shelves.somewhat. For the first time ever, the exclusive was more widely available than the regulars, as stores received seemingly 1-2 cases at most, if any, of the new wave, making them highly sought after. This goes down as the one time I didn't buy any of the figures in a wave, not because I didn't want them, but because I never saw them. Thus, I will be basin my reviews mostly on the pictures I saw of these.

Speeder Bike with Princess Leia (Target Exclusive) - While the bike was simply a re-pack of the one that came with Luke and the Biker Scout, we did get a brand new figure out of this. Unfortunately, Princess Leia suffered from Barbie-face syndrome yet again, with an oversized helmet. Luckily, the poncho took away from the oversized head enough to make the figure decent, but nowhere near as good as it's predecessors. This, along with it's being the only one of the three SB exclusives that could actually be ordered off the website, made it a shelf-warmer. I wasn't gonna get this for several months, then caved in when it went on sale, figuring it would be nice to complete the trio.

Ewoks - To this day, I am still ticked that I never found these in stores. Granted, I have seen them available online, but only from secondary sellers charging no less than $40 for these. Ditto on ebay. The likenesses on Logray and the generic ewok were alright, but would have been greatly improved by actually having fur-covered bodies (the same issue that hurt the Wicket figure).

Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight - The only figure I ever saw in a store, albeit one time only, likely sat because this was simply a re-release of the Jedi Luke figure that had already been released earlier. The head looked a bit different, and the figure came with a lightsaber but no Rancor pit bone, but was otherwise the same.

Biker Scout - Another re-release, only this time that of a figure highly sought after, due to the difficulty the first Speeder bike exclusive had been to obtain. Horrible job by Hasbro, making this one per case as part of a wave that was already released in very limited quantities.

Yoda w/ lightsaber - This was a semi-rehash of the previously released Yoda figure, only this time we got a prequel version. The face was definitely a re-sculpt, as was the costume, which was also different. This Yoda came with several acessories, including his council chair, a video screen (the one Mace uses to test Anakin), and of course, his lightsaber. Again, a sought after figure made difficult to find thanks to poor distribution by Hasbro (an issue that would be corrected in the next wave, unfortunately with less sought after figures).

Best: This could have been a tough one since I hadn't been able to find the figures, but since the wave as a whole was weak, it made Princess Leia w/ Speeder Bike look that much better in comparison.

Worst: Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight, since this was yet another unneccessary re-release.

Reefer Shark
08-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Biker Scout - Another re-release, only this time that of a figure highly sought after, due to the difficulty the first Speeder bike exclusive had been to obtain. Horrible job by Hasbro, making this one per case as part of a wave that was already released in very limited quantities.

Yoda w/ lightsaber - This was a semi-rehash of the previously released Yoda figure, only this time we got a prequel version. The face was definitely a re-sculpt, as was the costume, which was also different. This Yoda came with several acessories, including his council chair, a video screen (the one Mace uses to test Anakin), and of course, his lightsaber. Again, a sought after figure made difficult to find thanks to poor distribution by Hasbro (an issue that would be corrected in the next wave, unfortunately with less sought after figures).

Actually, the Biker Scout was a bit different from the Speeder Bike version. This one had much better sculpted gloves, and was missing some paint detail on the helmet.

Yoda was a completely different figure from the 1st release (and was pretty cool too!)

My votes -
Best: Biker Scout - another great imperial following in the footsteps of the AT-ST driver. This guy looks fantastic, and his better gloves push him way ahead of the 1st release IMO. I actually managed to find one at TRU along with the rest of the wave, but that was the only time I saw him, Ewoks, and Yoda in the wild.

Worst: Jedi Luke - C'mon Hasbro, you could've at least tried to improve on this guy. This is what, the 3rd or 4th try at him? Pretty sad indeed...

Tycho
08-29-2006, 10:20 PM
BEST: Ewok 2-pack - what a great value for the 12" price range! The 2nd Ewok was Keolkeech I think ("the Death's Head Ewok") that I wish Hasbro would make a 3 3/4" figure of.

WORST: Princess Leia on speederbike! What minimal amount of screentime do Star Wars characters spend smiling? SW is a tragedy in the classic sense. Sure the characters smile once in a while, but not while riding speederbikes especially.

Turbowars
08-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Best, Yoda. He came with a Chair! It's ones of Hasbros best! Scout is a close 2nd.
Worst, Luke

Banthaholic
08-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Best: Lando
Worst: Han Solo

Best: Ewoks, are only representation of the cool arse 'wok
Worst: Luke Jedi

Jaff
08-29-2006, 11:40 PM
I liked the Speeder Bike with Leia because I never imagined geting this Leia as a 12", however she is no way near enough to win the best. The Biker Scout and Luke (no matter what minute differences they had from earlier versions) were nothing more than rehashes which were ignored by me. That leaves Yoda for the best. It's cool to have him in his chair. The accessories win him out easily.

The worst is definately the Ewoks. I love the Logray, but can't stand the other gloss Ewok because it looked horrible. Why couldn't they have made Paploo, Chief Chirpa or some filmed ewok. Dissapointing to say the least.

Tycho
08-29-2006, 11:48 PM
That is Keeolkeech I think (the Ewok). He is in the movie, and you can best view him when Han and Luke are tied up to become dinner for C-3PO, and Leia steps out of the hut to see what's happening to her friends. Right near Leia, stands a tall Ewok with a particularly barbaric "brained creature's head" for ceremonial headwear, and that's Keeolkeech. I identified him using RedSix's old character ID page.

As far as Leia Endor goes, I really wanted a figure of her in that outfit, and I hope SideShow makes her. But the 12" speederbike is actually large enough for two riders (the 3 3/4" one is not) and I want to take advantage of that and put Luke and Leia on the same bike like they started off as in the movie. So for one, I don't need another speederbike - I'm lucky to have Luke, and not one, but two (2) of the Bikerscout ones that I one day plan to make a nice scene with.

I actually had a chance to buy the Leia on Speederbike for as little as $12 I think (on Target clearance) and I turned it down even at that price! Sorry - but I'm not a collector and I don't buy things I don't have plans to in the first place. Many times I asked myself if I'd regret not getting Leia. I still don't. And I still want a good (SideShow?) Leia Endor - but I'm not getting her from Hasbro.

JediTricks
08-30-2006, 04:31 PM
This is a toughy for me, none of the entries are "great" or really awful either, and likely the best figure is just a rehash of the Biker Scout which already got voted in from its first set, plus I've never seen one in person to judge and the Hasbro photo looks a bit off. I only own Yoda and Leia Speederbike which I bought on mega-clearance for $12.50 (awesome set at that price, obviously). Yoda at $20 or WM's $25 is a rip-off, a $10 figure with a couple accessories, it's a good presentation but a little off.

Best: I'm going to go with Leia Speederbike, it was a decent "action Leia" with an accurate costume.

Worst: Ewoks, they're barely articulated and hard plastic doesn't really work in the 12" line, just not necessary.

Jaff
08-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Well if the 12" Ewok is Keeolkeech you have to admit the glossy look of the fig does not work. The figure looks like I just gave it a gooey massage. It makes me look crazy when guests come over. I introduce him as my waxed prize while I have petrolleum jelly in my hands. It's really sick and twisted. Just thinking about the 12" makes my wife jittery.

tagmac
08-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Well, the results were pretty spread out on this one, with no clear-cut winner for the best figure. I don't think this group of figures was really that great, so I guess this is a testament to the poor quality of the later waves. Barring some late voting to put one figure over the top, here's what we have so far for Wave 2 of the 2003 line:

Best:
Princess Leia w/ Speederbike - 2
Yoda w/ Lightsaber - 2
Ewok 2-pack - 2
Biker Scout - 1

Worst:
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight - 4
Ewok 2-pack - 2
Princess Leia w/ Speederbike - 1

And an updated total for Wave 1 of 2003:

Best:
Lando in Skiff Guard Disguise - 5
AT-ST Driver - 1
Gammorean Guard - 1

Worst:
Han Solo w/ Quick-Draw Action - 7

tagmac
08-31-2006, 04:54 PM
November, 2003.

We reached the final wave for 2003, a set of three figures that were very easy to find, available everywhere, including Suncoast Video. A huge slap in the face to collectors who really wanted the Biker Scout, Yoda, and the Ewoks, that this set of two re-hashes was nearly everywhere, when Hasbro should have shipped more cases of the previous assortment. This final Saga wave was a complete waste, when they could have gone out with some different figures many of us had wanted all along (like the announced Nute and Sen. Palpatine).

Jawas 2-pack - Not a true re-hash, as these were completely different figures from the first release. Unfortunately, these were also inferior, completely solid, plastic paperweights with molded capes. This was a far-cry from the superior cloth-cloaked version with the light-up eyes we got a few years earlier. I easily left these on the shelves.

Garindan - The only one of the set that I actually bought, we got a good sculpt on the face, and a decent costume. The inclusion of the comlink was a nice addition to a good figure, one that easily stood out at this point in time.

Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi - This was pretty much a re-hash of a figure we'd already gotten twice before, and a poor one at that. The facial sculpt was clearly different from the first one, and not as good a likeness. The detail on the belt was gone, as was the silver paint on the saber. Instead we got a black lightsaber hilt that was accurate in sculpt only. The only plus was the return of the Jedi robe that hadn't been seen since the first Mace Windu figure.

Best: Garindan. there's just no competition here.

Worst: Jawas 2-pack. This was essentially a toss-up for me, but the cloth costume on Obi-Wan gave it a few more points than these two "salt-shakers" we ended up with.

Tycho
08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
I totally agree with Tagmac's assessment above, for the exact same reasons.

My votes:

BEST: Garindan

WORST: Jawa 2-pack

It's all been said as far as this wave goes. The last one had some interesting diversity of opinions though. I pretty much doubt this one will.

Banthaholic
08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
BEST: Garindan

WORST: Jawa 2-pack

JediTricks
08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
BEST: Obi-Wan Kenobi, granted they did the paint very wrong and his neck was too long, but the new head sculpt and robe looked pretty decent. I thought Garindan was good but A) not a figure I ever wanted in this scale; and B) his head was HUGE!

WORST: Jawa 2pack, worse than the first Jawa in this scale and even worse than the 4" line's Jawas, embarassing!

Bosskman
09-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Best - Garindan
Worst - Ben (although good for the time I guess)

I sorta liked the Jawas too.

Jaff
09-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Gotta go with Bosskman here!

Best - Garindan

Worst - Ben

tagmac
09-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Here are the results for the last of the Action Collection:

Best:
Garindan - 5
Ben Kenobi - 1

Worst:
Jawa 2-pack - 4
Ben Kenobi - 2

I have to say, in looking at these results, I'm not a bit surprised.

tagmac
09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
June, 2004

With the end of the Action Collection came the birth of the Original Trilogy Collection. Hasbro gave us four re-makes of their 12" figures, which, for the most part, were big improvements over their previous incarnations. The packaging was changed, too, a nod to the packaging of the vintage 12" collection. I have to admit, while grossly oversized, the new packaging was pretty nice. The down side is that Hasbro stopped with these figures. I had hoped to see figures like Han and Leia re-done, but I guess Sideshow took care of that for us. These new figures were priced at $30, foreshadowing to the higher prices we would see with Sideshow's figures (of which the higher quality certainly justified the price).

Anyway, here are the figures.

Boba Fett - OTC - This time around, Hasbro finally got the head size right, giving us a much more accurate figure in scale. The details were outstanding, and the articulation allowed for much better poseability this time around. The only knock on this figure was Hasbro's getting the color wrong on the first shipments, creating a rarer, more turquoise version that looked more like early production photos of the costume. The more common, corrected versions did hit shortly after, but this figure was quite difficult to find, and did not sit for long on shelves. I lucked out, finding one at Target in the morning, and it was well worth it (although I have to admit, I haven't opened any of mine yet).

Luke Skywalker - OTC - Talk about taking a huge step back with this one. Hasbro got the costume right, and the articulation was excellent. However, the likeness was ridiculous, with a bad sculpt on the hair, topped off with a bright pink mouth that made it look like he put on too much lipstick. This Luke made the pink-hair version (with it's more accurate likeness) of '96 look like a Sideshow figure in comparison. I left this one on the shelves, as did most other people, as this one sat for more than a year, even after being put on clearance.

Stormtrooper - OTC - A major improvement over the previous versions. This figure had a smaller, more accurate head that was in scale with the body. Gone was the overly clunky armor, allowing the figure to have better articulation for more poseability. In addition, the rifle was scaled down, so it was not large and clunky, but actually looked good in the trooper's hands. I held off on this figure for a while, though, finally buying one when KB marked them down to half-price.

September, 2004

Chewbacca - OTC (KB exclusive) - Hasbro never did get this guy right, but finally we got a version that, IMO, is not worthy of being ranked among the worst figures ever. This was a huge figure, standing nearly 15" tall, making it much more to scale with the rest of the figures. The sculpt was alright, and while not a tree, it still looked just a bit too skinny in the torso for Chewie. The figure had plenty of articulation, though, and could actually hold his crossbow correctly, unlike the previous versions. The head sculpt was alright, but could have been a little better, IMO. This was tough to find at first, even being listed as "sold out" on KB's website for a while, but I got one of these as soon as they were available for order the second time around. This was a muhc better try by Hasbro, but I still long for the fur over solid body version (like the beast collection Bantha) that would be the definitive version. Hopefully Sideshow will oblige us down the road.

Best: This was a tough one, as all three could rank here, but I'm going with Boba Fett - OTC. Chewie just wasn't perfect enough for me, and the Stormtrooper was just kinda plain.

Worst: No contest, this goes to Luke Skywalker - OTC, aka, Dr. Frank-n-Skywalkur. If I'd wanted a Ken doll, I'd have bought one. This figure was an insult to the "improved" OT wave.

Slicker
09-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Best - Begrudgingly I'm going with Boba Fett

Worst - Chewie. They still haven't released a satisfactory 12" version&

bobafrett
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Best- Biker Scout

Worst- Jedi Luke with the bone

Tycho
09-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I think Boba Frett is voting on the past wave, but I didn't even look at that Luke (in the blue box) to know if he came with a bone. Oh well.

This wave:

BEST: Chewbacca - I agree with Tagmac that a real-fur-over-plastic-sculpt would be the best thing to happen to our Wookiee pal in this size scale, but for the meanwhile, this OTC 15" figure was almost all I'd ever hoped for. I bought it while I wasn't too interested in the other selections. The only others I did get from this wave were 2 OTC Stormtroopers I plan on using as dead bodies for my Action Collection Ewoks to conquer because I sniffed a Mouse Droid and then decided making that scene would be cool. K-Mart had the Troopers on clearance anyway, so I think instead of paying $30 a piece for them, I got them on a Star Wars "buy one get one free deal." That works out to $15 each :D To create a body count for my Ewoks, that deal checks out as OK by me.

WORST: Luke Skywalker - if only because I got sick of noticing him in the toy isles for like forever. I never really looked at him that closely to note any of the complaints you guys have with him. I will say that I liked the box though!

bobafrett
09-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I think Boba Frett is voting on the past wave, but I didn't even look at that Luke (in the blue box) to know if he came with a bone. Oh well.

That's what I get for never had read this thread before, then starting on page 28 something or another.