PDA

View Full Version : A simple custom (clean #41 clones)

Darth Cruel
06-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I hated the battle damage on these clones. And military troops in formation cannot be dirty. So with the advice of a very good customizer, I bought some Easy Lift Off, grabbed a Q-Tip, and went to work. No amount of ELO or rubbing would damage the plastic on the figures. I was stoked! And here they are...inspection ready Clone Troops!

Edit...Sans the stupid antennae.

Dominic Guglieme
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Easy Lift Off? Please explain, with emphasis on where one might purchase this stuff.:shocked:

Darth Cruel
06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Easy lift off...the wonder potion that will remove paint without damaging the plastic of the figure. Let me tell you a story. I have the EE army builder 4-packs of clones from EII. I bought them by the case and wanted to clean off the battle damage...while I was using the ELO on one of the colored ones...I was mortified to discover that I was rubbing right on the 4 color spots on the chest (they were under some blaster marks). The colored dots came out onscathed, but the battle damage was removed.

I found it at a VERY WELL STOCKED model store...not general hobby store...a store dedicated to model-building. RC airplanes, models, electric trains...

Warning! - When you find and use it...one end of one Q-Tip DAMP...NOT DRIPPING OR EVEN RUNNING...DAMP will be enough to do one #41 clone trooper.

jedi master sal
06-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Oooooh NICEEEEE!!!!

I wonder if this will work on an Utapau trooper? Just the black and not the orange.

thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to hunt this stuff down. I've got many #41 clones and I'd love to clean them up.

Say would you be game to try this on an Utapau trooper? Oh and maybe a Tac ops trooper? I'd love to see if the red scuff near the feat can be taken away.

-Sal

Darth Cruel
06-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Oooooh NICEEEEE!!!!

I wonder if this will work on an Utapau trooper? Just the black and not the orange.

thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to hunt this stuff down. I've got many #41 clones and I'd love to clean them up.

Say would you be game to try this on an Utapau trooper? Oh and maybe a Tac ops trooper? I'd love to see if the red scuff near the feat can be taken away.

-Sal

NO! - It removes the orange paint! You also have to be careful for the black paint at the joints!

figrin bran
06-08-2006, 02:36 AM
slightly off topic but the orange paint will even smear off a bit when you try to boil and pop off the knees, which i did to give to cody.

OC47150
06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Interesting. I've dirtied a #41 up further (dry brushed black paint on him) but hadn't thought of removing the battle damage.

I might have to try that!

jedi master sal
06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
NO! - It removes the orange paint! You also have to be careful for the black paint at the joints!

Damn! But thanks for letting me know!

slightly off topic but the orange paint will even smear off a bit when you try to boil and pop off the knees, which i did to give to cody.

Oh thanks here too. I was going to do this for the legs. Well actually I still can as I was going to repaint the legs anyway.

-Sal

Darth Cruel
06-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I am not sure why it did not remove the dots from the chest of the EE Clone Trooper...but I am glad it didn't as I forgot to be careful for them. But from what I can tell all other paint will come off with the ELO.

mastermatt24
06-10-2006, 02:52 AM
If your gonna do the U Clone- just be carefull. If your not really carefull try an exacto and gently scrape it off.

Darth Cruel
06-10-2006, 02:58 AM
I will try that...thanks. I have a custom Cody that the customizer nailed the paint color on perfectly...if you put it beside a U-Clone...you do not see a shade of difference. I hope to find out what what color or color mix he used so that I can re-paint if I need to.

mastermatt24
06-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Yea no prob. Whatever you do- NEVER soak a figure in paint remover. Bad mistake.:p

Darth Cruel
06-10-2006, 04:07 PM
LOL - Yeah, that just has all the sound of a bad idea.

mastermatt24
06-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Hmm. I just thought of something- You could actually use the bad effect for a benefit. It could be easily used for battle damage- just drop some on there and watch it eat the plastic away untill your happy. That could make some great blast effects! I just might try that. :D
Ill post any pics if it turns out.

Dominic Guglieme
06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
I found it at a VERY WELL STOCKED model store...not general hobby store...a store dedicated to model-building. RC airplanes, models, electric trains...

No luck. Might you have any info on mailorder, or be interested in a trade of some kind?

I really like this idea.

Darth Cruel
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Oh! I have no problem whatsoever sending you a bottle. Let me know where to send it via PM, IM, or email.

Edit - It may take me a few days to go get it. I am sick as a dog right now and working long hours.

LTBasker
06-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey, what about using this technique to remove the sand paint from the Tatooine wave Sandtrooper? Instead of hunting for VOTC clean troopers on ebay, this could be an awesome alternative.

figrin bran
06-13-2006, 02:47 AM
I will try that...thanks. I have a custom Cody that the customizer nailed the paint color on perfectly...if you put it beside a U-Clone...you do not see a shade of difference. I hope to find out what what color or color mix he used so that I can re-paint if I need to.

apple barrel's pumpkin orange is a very good match for the orange on the utapau clones. i used it to color the #41 knees that i swapped onto one of my Codys.

mastermatt24
06-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Hey, what about using this technique to remove the sand paint from the Tatooine wave Sandtrooper?
Yep, just be careful! :D

jedi master sal
06-13-2006, 10:28 AM
apple barrel's pumpkin orange is a very good match for the orange on the utapau clones. i used it to color the #41 knees that i swapped onto one of my Codys.

You're the second person I've heard mention that specific brand and color for the Utapau orange. So that confirms it for me.

So where can I get that color? Any hobby shop?

Oh and Darth Cruel, how much does that bottle cost? I'd like to get one through you, if I can't find it locally.

-Sal

figrin bran
06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Sal, you can find that paint at any hobby or crafts store or even at your local Walmart.

mastermatt24
06-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Or Micheals- they usually have a bigger selection than Wally's. :)

figrin bran
06-13-2006, 10:57 PM
for those of us in so cal, Michael's would be the best place but i wasn't sure if it's nationwide and so i didn't specifically name them.

mastermatt24
06-14-2006, 01:42 AM
I think theyre national- Thought I saw one when I was in Alaska... :cross-eye

figrin bran
06-14-2006, 02:37 AM
that's just about international! :p

mastermatt24
06-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Yea that is pretty big huh? :p

jedi master sal
06-21-2006, 01:57 PM
We've got Michaels up here, so I'll check on the paint. Say F_B can you get me a bottle of the ELO stuff? I can't seem to find it here in Pittsburgh. Let me know how much with shipping if you can.

-Sal

figrin bran
06-22-2006, 02:05 AM
sal, i haven't tried looking for the ELO stuff (obviously i haven't used it) but if i do find it, i'll pick it up for ya. i still have some blue holo rebel soldiers and stormies to send to you too if you still want them.

jedi master sal
06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
sal, i haven't tried looking for the ELO stuff (obviously i haven't used it) but if i do find it, i'll pick it up for ya. i still have some blue holo rebel soldiers and stormies to send to you too if you still want them.

Did I get you mixed up with someone else then? Sorry about that if I did.

Yes sir, I want those Holos. Do you need my address?

Thanks again F_B.
-Sal

jedi master sal
06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
well I bought a bottle of Apple Barrel-Pumpkin Orange paint. Just can't find that darned ELO. I caled up 6 places and went to two others and noone had it. Some places had never even heard of it.

Darth Cruel
06-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I am going to pick up a couple of bottles of ELO this weekend Sal...your covered.

jedi master sal
06-22-2006, 11:54 PM
I am going to pick up a couple of bottles of ELO this weekend Sal...your covered.

Thanks! How much will I owe you? Including shipping to Pittsburgh, PA 15260?

Man, I can't wait to get this stuff to try it out!
-Sal

Darth Cruel
06-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks! How much will I owe you? Including shipping to Pittsburgh, PA 15260?

Man, I can't wait to get this stuff to try it out!
-Sal

I'll tell you what, I'll send it with the Senate Pods. If you feel compelled to reciprocate beyond the Shock Troopers...I am always in need of the Clone Troopers' long blaster rifles. If you happen to have a few of those other than the ones that will be with the Shock Troopers, please send a few of them. And don't forget to PM me your address.

COMMANDERCODY2795
06-30-2006, 09:47 PM
uummm, cruel, i think you may ha ve forgotten but clone troopers are right handed, as is most of the populance of the star wars universe.

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Sorry Cody I am lost...what do you mean?

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-01-2006, 01:07 AM
if you look closly in the movies and comics you'l see the clones are all right handed, as are most of the peole, i.e. ki-adi-mundi, mace windu, all the people.

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh...did I say the were southpaws? My bad.

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Oh...did I say the were southpaws? My bad.

uuuuuummmm...... southpaws? i'm sorry but i dont folow

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 01:18 AM
uuuuuummmm...... southpaws? i'm sorry but i dont folow

That is a baseball term that means left-handed.

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-01-2006, 01:19 AM
aahhh......*starts mumbling incoherenetly under breath* oh, and by the way do you know if any1 is selling a airborne head or the mold for 1? or o you think you could sculp me 1 or 2?

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Your post about all of the characters being right-handed led me to believe that I had called them all left-handed.

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-01-2006, 01:26 AM
but do you know of any1 offering a airborne trooper head mold or sculpt, or could you sculpt me 1 or 2 air borne heads?

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 01:31 AM
I have absolute zero artistic talent. When the battle packs come out in July...I am going to buy one of those mold-making kits and make some...then I will have to completely learn to paint to finish them.

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-01-2006, 01:32 AM
will u make me some airborne head when u cast some? i need like 5. so could u sen to me when u make them? if u do can u pm me when they are done?

Darth Cruel
07-01-2006, 01:35 AM
If I am successful...I'll be happy to send some your way.

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-01-2006, 01:36 AM
tyvm, because i have no patience. add me to ur buddy list, and pm when ur done. and could u send me the foloing mini holos if u have extras plz: yoda, luke jedi, and stormie mini holos?

jedi master sal
07-18-2006, 06:40 PM
SO I got the bottle of ELO from Darth Cruel.

Fantastic stuff!!!

I used it both one of the new Sandtroopers and a #41 clone.

The "dirt" from the sandtrooper came right off. (Though I had to delicately apply the elo a couple of times as the paint in the nooks and crannys were a little problematic. The battle damage from the #41 clone came right and and you can't tell it ever had any to begin with. Ma, if I'd had known about this stuff back then, there would NEVER had been any #41 clones on the pegs in my area....Anyway, I'm going to try this on the black battle damage of an Utapau clone. This might be a little more risky as I don't want to mess up the orange paint. But i did buy the Apple Barrel "Pumkin Orange" color as mentioned by someone else (Turbowars??), just in case I need to repaint anything.

Man, I'm SO looking forward to painting up some of my #41s now. I think I've only got about 40 of those ones though, so which clones do I make?? I have enough Shocktroopers (besides they're the hardest to custom 100% accurately). Perhaps I'll make more Tac Ops and Utapau troopers. I'll wait til the end of the year though for that, as there is rumor we are getting yet two more Ep3 clones before years end.

Thanks Darth Cruel, you made my day. Hope you like the Shocktroopers I sent ya. (We traded 2 Shocktroopers for pods). And yes, I'M the one who traded AWAY troopers. Can you believe that?? Anyway, I'm getting 4 pods from him. (Can't wait to get them. I'm hoping before the weekend)

If you guys are looking for a good solvent to get rid of that pesky battle damage, you HAVE to go with ELO. I barely had any on the q-tip and it work so well.

If you don't have it in your area, if he doesn't mind, I'll suggest asking Darth Cruel to hook you up.

-Sal

mastermatt24
07-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Glad your so excited with it, but paint remover with a q tip works fine too if people cant get that stuff :yes:

jedi master sal
07-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Glad your so excited with it, but paint remover with a q tip works fine too if people cant get that stuff :yes:

Well, I was fearful or trying paint remover because of it's potency.

Don't know if ELO is the exact same thing or not, but it works so I'm pimping it. Before a couple of weeks ago I never saw on the boards anyone posting about what works for taking off battle damage. Darth Cruel was nice enough to share the info and his experience with the product. Based on his reccomendation, I got some.

figrin bran
07-18-2006, 09:20 PM
But i did buy the Apple Barrel "Pumkin Orange" color as mentioned by someone else (Turbowars??), just in case I need to repaint anything.

Bah! not Turbowars! Me!!! :p

i guess i'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from you sal as far as clones go because i actually want to add weathering to them.

jedi master sal
07-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Bah! not Turbowars! Me!!! :p

i guess i'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from you sal as far as clones go because i actually want to add weathering to them.

Yes, sorry about that FB. Credit goes to you.

I didn't get the chance last night to try the ELO on the Utapau trooper. Hopefully tonight and I'll report back in how it went.

Darth Cruel
07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I like the clean clones myself. And I will be sitting down to work on the Sandtroopers and Utapau Clones as soon as I get some time. I like the battle damaged ones...but not the way Hasbro does it. I like the real talented stuff you see from time to time on the internet, like on battledamage.com. But even then only a few to display. Not a whole army of identically marked Clones.

The reason I like the ELO is because every other product or concoction I was informed of had to be used with care so as not to damage the plastic while the paint was being removed. The ELO does absolute zero damage to the plastic no matter how long I had to rub to remove paint. I won't use anyhting else now.

Dominic Guglieme
07-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks DC for your help with the ELO.

It works pretty well. The only real difficulties arise (as noted above) with getting paint out of molded crevices.

It also removes heraldry (with a bit of effort). I cleaned up the removeable mask troober from the Evolutions 3 pack.

Now, to find some #41 clones.........

Darth Cruel
07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks DC for your help with the ELO.

It works pretty well. The only real difficulties arise (as noted above) with getting paint out of molded crevices.

It also removes heraldry (with a bit of effort). I cleaned up the removeable mask troober from the Evolutions 3 pack.

Now, to find some #41 clones.........

I overcame this by putting little enough ELO on the Q-Tip to ensure that it would not run no matter how hard i pressed...then I pressed real hard!

Phantom-like Menace
08-05-2006, 01:29 AM
I'll have to try this stuff, though I wish I had read this thread before finishing the latest custom #41 I've been working on. I'll see if I can find it at my usual hobby shop.

I'm most interested in using it to take the sand off of the upcoming Sandtroopers based on the VOTC Stormtrooper. Even though I purchased all but one that I saw (let a friend get it), I only saw six total. Five is not nearly enough of that excellent figure.

jedi master sal
08-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I'll have to try this stuff, though I wish I had read this thread before finishing the latest custom #41 I've been working on. I'll see if I can find it at my usual hobby shop.

I'm most interested in using it to take the sand off of the upcoming Sandtroopers based on the VOTC Stormtrooper. Even though I purchased all but one that I saw (let a friend get it), I only saw six total. Five is not nearly enough of that excellent figure.

I've already done this all all but two of my Sandtroopers from the TSC wave. They look great.

One HUGE note of caution though, I don't know if it was me or the plastic strength, but one of the figs disintegrated in my hands. Well actually the hip broke apart. It's salvagable, but I won't be able to bend the legs at the hip. No problem there though. On and one of the other ones I noticed two cracks in the chestplate armor. This has NEVER happened to me before in my years customizing figures. So I suggest to take extra caution when handling these troopers. I don't think it was the paint remover that made the plastic week as I wasn't even in that area for both of those troopers.

-Sal