PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

Dominic Guglieme
06-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
This novel reads like a well-paced session of gaming. It reads so much like gaming in fact, that I checked the author's bio to see if Reaves had a history in the gaming industry. (He does not.) Reaves does deserve a fair amount of credit for being disciplined enough to kill the characters who face Maul.
However, one of the more aggravating "game" aspects manifests itself in how they die. One character, nearly to the end of the book, survives to the point of absurdity. When he dies, it just seems, well, stupid, almost as if the game's "moderator" decided that Maul would get rerolls, while the unfortunate character fighting him would get none. That, along with some truly "game" style plot points and elements made this book truly tedious in places. Convenient "just missed it" and "oops, I lost my communicator" type stuff does not a good novel make.
Grade: C/D

Kidhuman
06-08-2006, 12:49 AM
One of the few EU books I read and I liked it except for a few parts. The hangover removing Droid was one. The chase was cool, although the main character not being a jedi or someone trained in the arts of it, narrowly avoiding death at just about every turn was cool to me.

El Chuxter
06-09-2006, 12:53 AM
The remaining droid shows up again in the Medstar Duology (with the always foxy Ms Offee :kiss: ), and that series ended with the implication we'll see more of him later.

Reefer Shark
06-11-2006, 03:03 AM
I listened to the audio book, and it was pretty entertainig. Lots of action, and Maul just kicks everyone arse basically!

InsaneJediGirl
06-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I liked the book except for a few parts. The droid removing the hangover was one of them,seemed all too "god modding" RPGesq as you mentioned Dominic. Beyond that,Shadow Hunter was one of the better EU novels out there,nice that it explored Darth Maul more than what we saw in TPM.

kool-aid killer
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I liked the book for the most part, but kind of wonder why the Jedi (or at least the more powerful one of thems) didnt seem to sense Darth Maul like Obi wan had. Or why Master Bondara (who apparently was held in high esteem) wasnt worth more than a simple search from a Padawan. Its too bad that Padawan also had to be Obi wan. But other than those and a couple of other minor complaints, i liked the book. It gave insight into Maul and his background. I thought the extra little story in the back was a bit cheesy, but i read it all too.

Dominic Guglieme
06-12-2006, 09:15 PM
The hand-over curing droid was fine. That was hardly "god mode". I was thinking more about the very convenient luck and foolishness of certaint characters. Lorn Pavan was lucky to the point of insulting the reader's intelligence. It was on a level with IDW's Beast Wars comic.

And, the fact the droid did in fact survive (against any logical outcome) makes me think even less of the book.

kool-aid killer
06-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I liked IDWs Beast Wars comic...

Yeah, i thought the way the droid was wrapped up (by a minor character deciding he wanted the droid for himself) was a cheap way to tie up that lose end of the story.

Dominic Guglieme
06-14-2006, 09:00 PM
The book should have ended with Maul killing Pavan and the droid.

I read the Medstar books, but never made the connection, as snarky droids are so common in the EU books. The droid surviving is just gratuitous.

Blah.

OC47150
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I read the Medstar books, but never made the connection, as snarky droids are so common in the EU books. The droid surviving is just gratuitous.

I never made the connection until now.

Shadow Hunter was a good book. A nice fast read.