PDA

View Full Version : Cars

mabudonicus
06-09-2006, 07:41 AM
No I haven't seen it nor do I intend to, I just kinda thought it would be somewhat ironic if I started a thread about it, since I'm sure we will all want to discuss the film :beard:

El Chuxter
06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I want to see it, but probably not this weekend. Pixar has yet to put out a dud, so I expect good things here.

Slicker
06-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I think this may be the dud that Pixar has avoided. It just doesn't look funny.

Talking toys are great. Talking fish are great. But talking cars? Meh!

figrin bran
06-09-2006, 11:24 AM
the toy line has become quite the scalper fodder around here! i'm trying to help someone complete a set but between short packs and HW collectors swooping them up, i might as well be trying to find UGH's.

Banthaholic
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I'll be seeing this tonight. The first trailer I saw I wasn't interested, the follow ups though hooked me. Pixar today has what Disney in the late 80's- early 90s had that when you could go to a movie and know you were getting something worth watching.

I'm not a NASCAR racing kinda guy, but it seems like there's enough other humor that should keep me interested. Plus a recent Pixar mive that has a soundrack, too cool!

2-1B
06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I can only take so much of Larry the Cable Guy, so I'll probably have to pass on this one.

El Chuxter
06-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I hate him with a passion. Even moreso since every idiot in the world thinks he's funny for some reason I cannot fathom. But I'll tolerate his stupidity for Pixar.

2-1B
06-09-2006, 12:54 PM
So what you're saying Chux is that when it comes to this new Pixar vehicle (lol), you'll "git r done" ? ;)

El Chuxter
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Caesar, I really hate to do this, but I swore to kill the next person to use that phrase in my presence. Please don't take it personally, but I have to kill you. Can you PM me your address and the method by which you'd prefer to be executed?

:crazed:

In case anyone thinks I'm psycho and wants to report me to Homeland Security, please be advised that I am kidding.

Rocketboy
06-09-2006, 02:11 PM
This movie looks like carp.

2-1B
06-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Rock, then they should change the name of the movie to Carps. lol

Sorry Chux, but my comment was said in jest to mock LTC so it's not like you're hearing it from one of his fans. :D

You can clip me any way you desire...I just ask that you don't mess up my bare arms. :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Caesar, I really hate to do this, but I swore to kill the next person to use that phrase in my presence. Please don't take it personally, but I have to kill you. Can you PM me your address and the method by which you'd prefer to be executed?

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!!

Banthaholic
06-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I saw this movie tonight, and besides the obvious movie about Cars there are some funny humor in it that caters to adults. My favorite line was when McQueen is giving a speech and you can hear someone yelling "Freebird" in the background, classic.

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey banthaholic,
Superman Preview?

bobafrett
06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I plan on seeing this, as I have enjoyed all of the Pixar animated films to date, even have some of them on DVD. Even the "Mr. Movie Phone" liked it, and that's good enough for me!

(by planning on seeing this, it involves me having to have the time to see it, and the money to see it, both on the same day, which rarely occurs)

Banthaholic
06-09-2006, 10:43 PM
No, there unfort wasn't a Superman preview. It was pretty much all animated previews, and Disney's Santa Claus 3.

If anyone sees this make sure to stay through the credits. Once again Pixar went all out with them with some nice nods to previous works and a nice tribute the voice actor that played the caterpillar from Bug's life, or as we like to call him Ben Quadinaros.

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2006, 10:57 PM
No, there unfort wasn't a Superman preview. It was pretty much all animated previews, and Disney's Santa Claus 3.

Hmmm, now I will have to reconsider whether or not to actually see it. :D

Just kidding, I want to because it looks nice!!

wedge1968
06-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I tried taking my son this afternoon. He's going to turn 5 next month, and it was going to be his first movie. I was pretty excited. He's been talking about it for weeks, and we've been counting down every day. I dropped my daughter off with the mother-in-law, and we headed about.

Well, we only saw about 25 minutes or so. He got scared and wanted to leave. I really didn't think it was all that scary, nor did most of the other kids in the theater.

I was a bit disappointed that his first movie trip didn't go the way I had hoped it would.

Turbowars
06-10-2006, 12:25 PM
I loved it. It's a great flick for everyone. It was cool they used a Daytona Superbird Charger and other recognizable cars. I wonder if they had to get permission to do so. Dodge seemed to be the most advertised in the movie. Cute story but the racing was my favorite.

figrin bran
06-10-2006, 05:05 PM
so mcdonalds has started their Cars kids toy promotion. you know you all want a complete set! ;)

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I believe this is the last of the Disney promos at McDonalds too.

General_Grievous
06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
I saw this over the weekend. It's a good movie, but it's not a good Pixar movie. I went in there expecting something as great as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, or The Incredibles. What I got was just a kids movie. Which is different from the other Pixar films since people of all ages love them. But Cars just wasn't funny to me. And the plot was so unoriginal. The only thing it had going for it were the good graphics. The cars in the race at the beginning looked amazing. If the movie had more scenes like that it could have been great. Larry the Cable Guy wasn't very good in it. This time they just had the plain old dumb sidekick. I liked Dory much better. But one thing I always like about the Pixar movies is John Ratzenberger, and he was great as the truck. Plus there was a neat little homage to him at the end of the movie during the credits. Overall, it's not a bad movie, but I just expected much better from Pixar.

JediTricks
06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Cars made $62.8 mil this opening weekend, nearly $9 mil below the openings of Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Cars is the first Pixar film to open smaller than the previous Pixar movie.

El Chuxter
06-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Because, regardless of the quality (which is good but subpar, from all accounts), the promotional material has said absolutely nothing about the movie. I know there's a race car, a redneck truck, and a lot of driving in circles, and that's about it. And I try to keep up on animation news.

JediTricks
06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
From what I hear, apparently they should have just showed the trailer for the 1990's Michael J. Fox film "Doc Hollywood" and then at the end said "...Only With Cars!" :D

2-1B
06-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Chux, don't forget the crusty old Paul Newman-type car. :D

Turbowars
06-12-2006, 08:00 PM
That's funny it was kind of like Doc Hollywood.:thumbsup: The racing was the best, too bad there wasn't more of it. I thought the Tow Truck was kind of funny. I think I liked it because the cars look so real like and I'm a sucker for muscle cars. I wish there were more of them in the flick though. I was at a book store and I picked up a book about the making of Cars and there were tons of pic's of muscle cars, so I was fired up to see them all and then I was kind of let down.

Jargo
06-12-2006, 08:33 PM
oh i got given a copy of the movie today and haven't watched it yet so i guess i'll just marvel at the pixel wrangling and not bother paying attention to the story or characters if it's bad.
though really I don't expect every pixar movie to be funny. as with any movie I guess I expect pathos and bathos. drama and tension. and an ending with a sort of resolution.
Doc Hollywood was based on other movies anyway. Stories and plots for any movie these days are just all old and well worn. it's just dressing the old chestnut in new gear and shoving the same old same old out for new audiences with different tastes.

DarthBrandon
06-13-2006, 04:20 AM
I watched this movie on opening day, my son & I thought it was good movie, it's not Nemo or the Incredible's, but it's on par with them. Great cast of character voices; Wilson, Newman, Larry The Cable Guy & the rest did a great job. My son liked Wilson's character (Lightning McQueen) & I enjoyed Larry The Cable Guy's character (Mater), he reminded me of all the Lanny posts from back in the day.(pure redneck) Tractor tipping was funny as hell, I'm not a big Larry The Cable Guy fan but I thought his character was the best comedy wise. It was a good family movie with a few sexual hints directed towards adult audiences (i.e. Pin striping)

JediTricks
06-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Cars made $62.8 mil this opening weekend, nearly $9 mil below the openings of Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Cars is the first Pixar film to open smaller than the previous Pixar movie.
Apparently Cars made $2.7 mil less on Sunday than expected, so it only made $60.1 mil. They're concerned word of mouth is the killer on this. It even affected Disney stock.

figrin bran
06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
after seeing the film, i actually want to complete a set of the single and multi pack cars! the problem is that some of them are just as hard to come by as UGH's.

Jargo
06-13-2006, 11:04 PM
to be honest with sooo many CGI movies out this year the bubble looks set to be burst. Novelty factor worn thin sort of deal. I suppose people are looking to the next level of CGI where it's not all inanimate objects give cutesy faces or cute and cuddly critters.

Something truly fantastical. sophisticated. using the technology to create stuff we haven't seen. less obvious and maybe grander in scale. Or even smaller and more intimate. Perhaps even a little ugly. Certainly less formulaic. Trouble is I don't think anyone knows how to achieve that what with studios being so damn conservative and audiences are so spoonfed I don't think they're really capable of accepting anything non formulaic. For the most part.

Movie making in general seems to be at an impasse. The only CGI movie I've seen recently that seem to go somewherea little different was Chicken Little. But even then it borrowed heavily and had set pieces that paid homage to other movies. I'm bored with all this homage crud. in jokes and gags put in to amuse the film makers themselves. it just bogsdown movies and gets annoying. if I want to see a scene from independence day i'll watch independence day. Don't need to see it recreated in a kids movie. If movie makers really want to be impressing me as a viewer then they need to start being original. and not so lazy and obvious.

Banthaholic
06-17-2006, 12:51 AM
The one thing that surprised me about this movie was Larry the Cable Guy. I 'm not a fan of his, but for whatever reason Pixar succeeded in giving his character and voice a likeable quality.

2-1B
06-17-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm a huge George Carlin fan but I thought his clip that they showed on The Tonight Show was kinda....dumb. I'll wait and rent this one. :)

Turbowars
06-17-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm a huge George Carlin fan but I thought his clip that they showed on The Tonight Show was kinda....dumb. I'll wait and rent this one. :)Your new avatar and sig is awesome Caesar! Got to love Anchorman. "It's Anchorman ,not anchorwoman and that's a scientific fact!"

figrin bran
06-17-2006, 01:45 AM
i don't suppose anyone besides tinmae is collecting the die cast toys? i need help finding some of the short packs

Turbowars
06-17-2006, 10:28 AM
You have to be kidding FB, you are collecting these things? Why, because they are hard to find?

figrin bran
06-17-2006, 07:49 PM
i'm not kidding turbo! and it's not because they're hard to find or to keep them away from sanchez and headphones. orrrr perhaps the inner HW collector in me that i never knew about has been awakened? :p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Saw the sequel (one of the few movies to just put "2" after the title, not a subtitle), and it was quite good. Funny, plenty of action, a story that made sense. What, was this a Pixar film or something? :p And the Toy Story short before it was very good.

sith_killer_99
07-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Saw the sequel (one of the few movies to just put "2" after the title, not a subtitle), and it was quite good. Funny, plenty of action, a story that made sense. What, was this a Pixar film or something? :p And the Toy Story short before it was very good.

I'm glad to hear it, taking the family to see this tomorrow!

sith_killer_99
07-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Grrrr, glitch resulting in repost.

figrin bran
07-04-2011, 01:43 AM

So can we expect another BCJ Pixar list soon? ;)

A lot of people are down on this film but I enjoyed it a lot.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Another one? Aren't I tied of such ordinal compilations by now? ... No way! :thumbsup:

And I should update my list (LISTS... :drool: ) of Pixars:

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN PIXAR MOVIES HE'S SEEN:
10. Cars 2
9. Monster's Inc.
8. Toy Story
7. Finding Nemo
6. Toy Story 2
5. Cars
4. Incredibles
3. Toy Story 3
2. Up
1. Wall-E That meant that the Ants rip-off movie but bumped out of the 10. ;) Still have yet to see the rat film. And I forgot to remember SSG's own RooJay's name to look for in the credits.

DarthQuack
07-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I've been very skeptical about seeing this as Cars is one of my favorite Pixar films.....with all the bad reviews that have rolled in, I've been scared to let it taint my love for the first movie. :-\

El Chuxter
07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I thought Cars was the weakest, and didn't much care to watch Cars 2. But my daughter wanted to. I'm glad she did. The critics are full of doon; this movie was several times better than the first.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah, they just used the established characters (and even referenced others from the first film who weren't in this one) in a different setting; it was fun and funny. I just liked the other 9 Pixars better than this one (tough to rank a series of films that are usually high quality).

preacher
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
some spoilers in my diatribe.

You all must've seen a different movie than me. The mini toons with mater were so much better than cars 2. I thought the theme of accepting your friends goods and bads unconditionally was pure idiocy. In real life you don't do that unless you want to be cast in the same shadow of a highly inappropriate friend. There are some places that you just don't take friends. I found mater extremely rude in this show. And actually was in agreement with McQueen in this one.

The other thing was the gags were just off for me. The only gag that I thought was clever was the airport security and all the cars taking off their tires to go through the security line. It just seemed to me like the cars were too capable of humanlike feats. In the first cars there were limitations to what the cars could do, but in this they were waaay too human. There was a lot of pointless exposition. Why was a pope car even necessary?

JEDIpartner
07-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I waited to see the first one 'cos the trailer didn't appeal to me. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it (though much less than other Pixar films) and had plenty of nice things to say about it.

Right now, I am really pretty glad that I got to see the new one for free. This one is seriously the worst film that Pixar has made. I was wondering when it was going to happen and it finally did. They did committed every "sequel crime" in this one: it was too loud, too busy, dumbed down and meandering. Ah well, their track record (no pun intended) was incredible up to this point. Hopefully, they will get back to form with the next one.

El Chuxter
07-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Without getting into a "BluRay is better; you're a dinosaur" argument, is there any word on a DVD release of Cars 2 that does not include a BluRay disc? I think it's wasteful to buy the movie on two formats (regardless of what format you pick), and can't find anything about a standard DVD release.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Without getting into a "BluRay is better; you're a dinosaur" argument, is there any word on a DVD release of Cars 2 that does not include a BluRay disc? I think it's wasteful to buy the movie on two formats (regardless of what format you pick), and can't find anything about a standard DVD release.Somehow, I see this going like ROTS: if you were collecting (or, gasp, even actually watching) it on VHS, you were basically out of luck. We all might need to adapt to the All Powerful BluRoz, before we turn into oil and cool musuem displays. :( ("And here, children, is a skelton of a creature that scientists have called Technolus Frustratus, which is eLatin for 'why'd you keep changing all the stuff'. Now, in the non-YouTube gallery wing, we have..." ).

RooJay
09-16-2011, 03:28 AM
Wasn't that bad, was it? Ehh, Pixar's gotta pay the bills too, and Cars is one of the more marketable properties. Next year, things will be better...