PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's Answers to SSG's Questions - June 9th

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Hasbro's Answers to SSG's Questions

Hasbro answered all of the questions we sent in a week ago, and here come the results.

Thanks to all the folks who sent in questions and the handful that actually voted last week.

Let's get to Hasbro's answers:

Q: Are there more new Vintage-Style figures coming, and if so, when can we expect them?

A: Not in 2006, but we're looking at what opportunities might exist for expanding the Vintage figure assortment in 2007.

Q: Will we be seeing more figures from the Expanded Universe, especially characters beyond just clonetrooper repaints?

A: Yes. There are great characters in the Expanded Universe and we plan to include some of these in 2007. Stay tuned!

Q: Have you considered new playset ideas, especially modular playsets so collectors can build larger playsets from smaller sets?

A: A scaling playset is a great idea. There has been a lot of discussion internally on whether this could be successful in today's market. However, we continue to see diminished demand for playsets. If we ever see the landscape changing, it's something we could take a look at in the future.

Check out ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162) for their Hasbro Q&A.

Droid
06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
This could be an interesting weekly thing if it keeps going.

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey, I'm not Hasbro's PR department, you don't have to apologize for negativity if you feel that way. I'm actually surprised we got any responses of any "future release" items, however vague the answers were. :p

Rebelscum posted the same questions and the same answers, so my question is, did Hasbro answer our three questions and not Rebelscums, or were the same three questions somehow asked by both sites?If you look more carefully, RS's questions are not all the same as ours, there's 1 question that was the same and 1 question that was similar, and on both, Hasbro's answers were different for each site.

Droid
06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I actually went back and read them again JediTricks, noticed that the questions were different, and realized I was projecting my negativity onto what was happening. I tried to delete my post, realized you can't delete a post, edited it to be bland and say nothing, then saw that you had already replied. Now there's the odd quality of you having responded to a post that is no longer there. My bad.

Having surfed several sites, I did see that most of the answers are what I predicted: no, not at this time, we aren't ruling anything out, and maybe. I'd love to see, "When will the Tonnikas be released?" and they'd answer, "February, 2007".

mark2d2
06-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey, I'm not Hasbro's PR department, you don't have to apologize for negativity if you feel that way. I'm actually surprised we got any responses of any "future release" items, however vague the answers were. :p

If you look more carefully, RS's questions are not all the same as ours, there's 1 question that was the same and 1 question that was similar, and on both, Hasbro's answers were different for each site.

Frankly, I am not at all surprised that some of the questions were the same. How could they not be? I mean, people are extremely interested in the Vintage line and EU stuff. It's only natural that both sites submitted similar questions.

I am bummed to hear that no more vintage are coming this fall. But I am greatful to at least be in the know on that and am happy to hear that there will be more in the spring.

Regarding the playset info -- Somebody should tell Hasbro that the declining interest in playsets probably has more to do with how lame the last few playsets have been. Had they been half as cool as what many people come up with in our threads, then they would sell. Seriously.

El Chuxter
06-09-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm just hoping the rep is looking at all these questions, scratching his beard, and saying, "Hmmm, everyone is asking the same thing! Perhaps there's real interest in _______!!"

mark2d2
06-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm just hoping the rep is looking at all these questions, scratching his beard, and saying, "Hmmm, everyone is asking the same thing! Perhaps there's real interest in _______!!"

Yeah. I had the same exact thought. At first, I was like: "gee, too bad there was such overlap between the two batches of questions. . ." But then I thought: "Hmmmm, maybe this will be useful in driving certain points home!"

DarthBrandon
06-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Regarding the playset info -- Somebody should tell Hasbro that the declining interest in playsets probably has more to do with how lame the last few playsets have been. Had they been half as cool as what many people come up with in our threads, then they would sell. Seriously.

How true, how true. Quality things sell, while shoddy (unthought out ) items do not.

I also hope Hasbro will actually answer some of our questions like: "when will you release the AT-TE?" In the fall of 2007, instead of were looking into this or we don't do new vehicles in a none movie year etc.

Slicker
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm just hoping the rep is looking at all these questions, scratching his beard, and saying, "Hmmm, everyone is asking the same thing! Perhaps there's real interest in _______!!"I would hope that they can draw that conclusion...except for the EU. I hate it.

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I also hope Hasbro will actually answer some of our questions like: "when will you release the AT-TE?" In the fall of 2007, instead of were looking into this or we don't do new vehicles in a none movie year etc.When they say "we're looking into doing this" it means they don't have any solid plans for it, there's no designs, no tooling, no packaging being printed up, no idea if they'll do it at all. Unless they're being directly evasive, which so far I haven't got the feeling of, basically they're saying "we're taking your input seriously but don't have any plans at the moment to release that item" which is better than "we're not doing one at this time, screw you". ;)

Droid
06-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I can understand why they won't say what they are doing next year; if they plan one thing and do another everyone would go nuts, like they had signed a contract with us or something.

But they know what they are doing in the fall. I just don't understand why they have to be so close lipped ALL THE TIME. If they would just either
A) Tell us what they have planned; B) Tell us when they will announce what they have planned; or C) space everything out so that once a month or every other week we get some news. They never post anything on the Hasbro web site that our sites haven't known about for months. Remember how we heard nothing for a long time this year and then Rebelscum posted all the waves of the Saga Collection in one day? Why not announce a new wave once a month or so? Why not space things out to keep up interest? Why do we always have to wait until the next convention to see if they'll let us in on anything? Why not, as someone suggested, show us prototypes of figures as they are coming along? They used to. They could have shown us early Rep Been or someone long before we saw the final version.

It seems like they would want to distribute information rather than keeping things a secret so long that it is leaked by an outside source.

It just seems like everything is a huge secret for no reason. Something will leak, Hasbro won't confirm it for months on end. Once we all know, why not confirm, Hasbro? And, if, as I said, Hasbro is going to announce at a convention, why not have on their web site a sound effect of Vader breathing with a line that appears and says, "Only five days until the fall line is announced..." or something.

Banthaholic
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
The way I view this is a way to communicate with Hasbro about what us as collectors want. Sure we have the Dear Hasbro section, but this directly gets ideas to Hasbro. At least we know we are telling them what we want, so hopefully the next 'Choppers' idea will not come out.

I remember a year or so ago where at a convention a site asked a Hasbro rep about Veers with removeable armor. The Hasbro person they talked to said there were no plans but that was a good idea. This year we saw Veers with removeable armor.

It could be just a coinsidance, but point being this might give us an opportunity to at least express to them what we want to see and hopefully a year or so down the line we might actually see something based on our input.

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
They have a lot of corporate-mindthink stuff, protecting brand integrity and stuff, they don't want LEGO to get wind or something, I dunno exactly, but the corporation is a big part of why they don't talk to us as much anymore. Plus, they don't want collectors to get the wrong impression on upcoming items that either don't make it to market or don't come out as expected or just have the wrong expectations about them, it has happened a lot and they are a little gunshy now - hopefully these Q&As will open their minds back up some.

However, if you look at all these Q&As today, you'll notice that for the stuff they DO have definitively planned, they did say in at least vague terms that it was coming, and the stuff that got the "we'll consider that" seems to be stuff they aren't doing. And to run off what Bantha just said, Hasbro sometimes does indeed take their cues from our questions, they may have never considered Veers in removable armor until some sites started asking, so maybe they aren't always just giving us the brush-off AND aren't actually secretly planning stuff while lying about it.

DarthBrandon
06-09-2006, 06:18 PM
When they say "we're looking into doing this" it means they don't have any solid plans for it, there's no designs, no tooling, no packaging being printed up, no idea if they'll do it at all. Unless they're being directly evasive, which so far I haven't got the feeling of, basically they're saying "we're taking your input seriously but don't have any plans at the moment to release that item" which is better than "we're not doing one at this time, screw you". ;)

I see your point to an extent, but seriously we would like some answers, as it stands Hasbro has some really shoddy products out there right now like the S.W. Choppers, Transformers & the mini Unleashed. One would think that if they couldn't do new vehicles in a none movie year they wouldn't have the time or money to waste on these abominations(IMO). Money could be better spent on doing things the kids & fans really want such as new vehicles & really good figures. My son thinks the Choppers are stupid (exact words, had to correct him on this (poorly executed) & the Transformers were really bad to play with (flimsy) & he's 8 next month. As for the mini Unleashed well that's something I can't stand, much rather have the large size ones myself. The mini's just remind me of the wizard miniatures that are out on the market & one of these lines is enough for me. Even if Hasbro did one or two new vehicles a year it would make a lot of people (kids & collectors) happy, what good is a ton of clones with nothing to put them in. Hasbro AN AT-TE IS A MUST, other choices down the line could be a Sith Infiltrator, Palpy's new shuttle (mod the old one), Clone Tank just like in BattlefrontII, TantiveIV (made somewhat like a carrying case like the Rebel Crusier from the Vintage days & while your at it re-release that one as well), Twice the size of the current Falcon, & last but not least a Cloud Car.

Prices
1.) AT-TE (Same as the AT-AT around $90.00 to $100 if bigger) (TRU)
2.) Sith Infiltrator ($45.00) (exclusive at Walmart)
3.) Palpy's ROTS shuttle ($125.00) (Target or Online)
4.) Clone Tank BFII (small tank so around $20.00) (Sold Everywhere)
5.) Carry Cases (Tan/RC) ($50.00 everywhere is possible)
6.) Falcon (Double sized) (Online exclusive to website & S.W. shop)
(Price TBD or around $250.00 U.S. if done right)
7.) Cloud Car (Everywhere for $29.00)

Hopefully your looking into all of this.:D Keep up the work of the good figures.

Droid
06-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I don't want one, but a Bongo would be a fairly inexpensive vehicle for them to make. Have a panel that you can flip over to reveal damage where the Opee bit it. They could give it firing missles, even though the one in the movie didn't do that. I was really surprised they never made the Bongo.

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Brandon, if you want to offer specific questions in the questions thread, I've decided that Hasbro should at least hear these things are being asked for even if they hit us with a "no foreseeable future" answer (which they almost certainly will), but you'll have to post each question separately from one another because I already asked a combo question with some of those vehicles.

The Gungan Sub would be cool, but I think it'd be bigger than you think, the cockpit seats 3 and there's a lot of vehicle around it, compare that to the B-wing and modern X-wing toys which were $40 last time they were released IIRC, those were both 1-seaters.

Slicker
06-10-2006, 03:15 PM
The Gungan Sub would be cool, but I think it'd be bigger than you think, the cockpit seats 3 and there's a lot of vehicle around it, compare that to the B-wing and modern X-wing toys which were $40 last time they were released IIRC, those were both 1-seaters.Yeah, the sub would be great but as you stated JT 3 people fit comfortably in the ONE cockpit and the sub has what are presumably 3 full cockpits so this thing would technically have to be about 9 action figures wide to make it in scale. We all know that making things in scale isn't always practical (look at the AT-AT) but to even make it look believable it'd still have to be quite large and well above the normal $30-$40 price point for vehicles (once again the AT-AT being a difference)>

DarthBrandon
06-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Brandon, if you want to offer specific questions in the questions thread, I've decided that Hasbro should at least hear these things are being asked for even if they hit us with a "no foreseeable future" answer (which they almost certainly will), but you'll have to post each question separately from one another because I already asked a combo question with some of those vehicles.

Cool Cool, I wonder though if anyone has ever asked the man himself (G.L.)about a Horse (new vehicles) that has not been made. I wonder what his reply would be, I'm sure he'd have more pull than us collectors.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, the sub would be great but as you stated JT 3 people fit comfortably in the ONE cockpit and the sub has what are presumably 3 full cockpits so this thing would technically have to be about 9 action figures wide to make it in scale. We all know that making things in scale isn't always practical (look at the AT-AT) but to even make it look believable it'd still have to be quite large and well above the normal $30-$40 price point for vehicles (once again the AT-AT being a difference)>There's only 1 cockpit on the Gungan Sub, the other 2 sections are storage - in fact, they're full of boxes for trading with the Naboo and when the Opee takes out one of the shields covering that storage, some of the boxes are torn away while others are I believe held down by a net. Since it's only storage, I think they could fudge the size on those safely, but still a 3-figure cockpit is very wide and the rest of the ship is probably 4 times as wide as the cockpit, even with serious fudging it'd be significantly wider than the POTF2 AT-AT. (Of course, if you make the cockpit about half of the main body, the tail can be removable and it could be wider than the AT-AT but shorter too.)

I doubt Lucas gives a care about us toy collectors. :(

Umbra
06-10-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm actually surprised, and appropriatly thrilled, they said yes on the E.U. question ^_^. I also found the explination of the evolutions sets from one of the other sites questions quite interesting,

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 06:37 PM
That's how I felt too, they didn't just totally shine everything we said, it was exciting! That Evolutions answer on ActionFigs.com (as well as several other sites who also asked it) made actual sense even.

Droid
06-10-2006, 08:22 PM
There's only 1 cockpit on the Gungan Sub, the other 2 sections are storage - in fact, they're full of boxes for trading with the Naboo and when the Opee takes out one of the shields covering that storage, some of the boxes are torn away while others are I believe held down by a net. Since it's only storage, I think they could fudge the size on those safely, but still a 3-figure cockpit is very wide and the rest of the ship is probably 4 times as wide as the cockpit, even with serious fudging it'd be significantly wider than the POTF2 AT-AT. (Of course, if you make the cockpit about half of the main body, the tail can be removable and it could be wider than the AT-AT but shorter too.)

I kind of pictured it about the size of the Flash Speeder, even if it isn't to scale. As someone else said, when has anything ever been to scale?

TheDarthVader
06-10-2006, 10:33 PM
I am a lot more satisfied with these answers than answers in previous years. I hope Hasbro is beginning to change some things within the ole PR department.

dindae
06-11-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm just excited that they said they are doing new vehicles (plural even) next year.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

YodasNews: Explain to me the relative risks and costs associated with bringing new vehicle and small playset molds into the world, when compared to making massive gambits on entirely new offshoot lines such as Force Battlers and Galactic Choppers. It seems to be a case of fumbled priorities, or rather multiple cases of them stacked and overflowing at my local Wal-Mart.

Hasbro: We look to products that will produce the greatest return on our resource investment. Vehicles and figures are more popular play patterns for the kid audience than playsets, and the lines you referenced are squarely kid-targeted. We are looking to introduce some new 3-3/4" vehicles next year (and re-introduce some high demand ones this Fall).

JediTricks
06-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I kind of pictured it about the size of the Flash Speeder, even if it isn't to scale. As someone else said, when has anything ever been to scale?Wow, really? Hmm, the Flash Speeder toy is pretty small, 2 figures barely can sit next to each other (and next time Hasbro, don't bother including a back seat if nobody can sit in it!!!), it'd have to be easily double that I think.

I wish Hasbro would take more of a chance with offering vehicles and playsets to kids, they're too concerned with making back the cost of the vehicle/playset to realize that higher quality, lower-priced vehicles/playsets convince kids to buy more action figures.

Droid
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Wow, really? Hmm, the Flash Speeder toy is pretty small, 2 figures barely can sit next to each other (and next time Hasbro, don't bother including a back seat if nobody can sit in it!!!), it'd have to be easily double that I think.

I wish Hasbro would take more of a chance with offering vehicles and playsets to kids, they're too concerned with making back the cost of the vehicle/playset to realize that higher quality, lower-priced vehicles/playsets convince kids to buy more action figures.

I haven't dug out my Flash Speeder in a while. I pictured it holding four. A bongo needs to be at least as big to seat three.

I agree that they should make quality vehicles and playsets and that people would buy them.

pegger
06-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm very happy about the Vehicle news - less so about the EU news....

I agree with Brandon - AT-TE is a must /no brainer.

I would love to see the Rebel Transport re-issued - this was the coolest toy-box when I was a kid...

I just hope that the vehicles are indeed new - and not just re-paints. I've had enough of the jedi starfighters for the rest of my life now.

The only vehicles I see as "musts" are the AT-TE, Cloud Car, Sith Infiltrator, Greivous' ship and V -Wing. Tank Droid would be very nice too (although not technically a vehicle)

DarthBrandon
06-12-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm very happy about the Vehicle news - less so about the EU news....

I agree with Brandon - AT-TE is a must /no brainer.

I would love to see the Rebel Transport re-issued - this was the coolest toy-box when I was a kid...

I just hope that the vehicles are indeed new - and not just re-paints. I've had enough of the jedi starfighters for the rest of my life now.

The only vehicles I see as "musts" are the AT-TE, Cloud Car, Sith Infiltrator, Greivous' ship and V -Wing. Tank Droid would be very nice too (although not technically a vehicle)

Let's not forget a Rebel Blockade Runner as a toy box as well pegger, this is something that is very possible to do & not as expensive as a fully detailed ship.:thumbsup:

pegger
06-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Let's not forget a Rebel Blockade Runner as a toy box as well pegger, this is something that is very possible to do & not as expensive as a fully detailed ship.:thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. They could even do a Star Destroyer, Executor, Repbulic Cruiser ... etc... It would be a nice way to get some of the larger ships....

DarthBrandon
06-13-2006, 02:59 AM
My thoughts exactly. They could even do a Star Destroyer, Executor, Repbulic Cruiser ... etc... It would be a nice way to get some of the larger ships....

Yes, If only you & I were on the board of directors, we'd be pumping this sh** out like crazy.:D

Kidhuman
06-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Both you you Canadians left out one important vehicle.....

A DAMN SAIL BARGE

must make me the CEO if you are on the board

jedi master sal
06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I've brought up the idea of toy chest designed to look like SW vehicles/ships before.

So using this latest thread, we've got ideas for:
Rebel Blockade runner
Star Destroyer (Imperial and Super classes)
Jabba's Sail Barge
Republic Cruiser

I also futher suggest the Juggernaut. It's wheeled, so the toy chest could be too.

And how about this: Sandcrawler??
Not that lame-o toy one, but a large one, that not only is a toy chest, but has areas on it that open to show compartments that figures can interact with. And to go REALLY over the top, it could be remote controlled!! Wouldn't it be cool to have the treads actually work? And have them remote controlled so that you could MOVE the toy chest? Of course there would have to be a wieght restriction for that, but I think it would be neat.

I really do think the idea of SW toy chest would be awesome. Kids who have grown up with the PT certainly have loads of toys now that a toy chest would be warranted. And you just KNOW we collectors would be all over them.

PPricepoint would be the only issue I think, but that's were, not having them in scale, pulling back some of the detail and the like would help. I can see any of these toy chests going for $100-150. Heck, knowing that that's probably the only way we would be able to see ships and vehicles of those sizes released at all would make them worth it.

Besides for all of those mentioned, getting each one would cover the movies. 6 different toy chests one for each of the six movies.

-Sal

DarthBrandon
06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
I've brought up the idea of toy chest designed to look like SW vehicles/ships before.

So using this latest thread, we've got ideas for:
Rebel Blockade runner
Star Destroyer (Imperial and Super classes)
Jabba's Sail Barge
Republic Cruiser

I also futher suggest the Juggernaut. It's wheeled, so the toy chest could be too.

And how about this: Sandcrawler??
Not that lame-o toy one, but a large one, that not only is a toy chest, but has areas on it that open to show compartments that figures can interact with. And to go REALLY over the top, it could be remote controlled!! Wouldn't it be cool to have the treads actually work? And have them remote controlled so that you could MOVE the toy chest? Of course there would have to be a wieght restriction for that, but I think it would be neat.

I really do think the idea of SW toy chest would be awesome. Kids who have grown up with the PT certainly have loads of toys now that a toy chest would be warranted. And you just KNOW we collectors would be all over them.

PPricepoint would be the only issue I think, but that's were, not having them in scale, pulling back some of the detail and the like would help. I can see any of these toy chests going for $100-150. Heck, knowing that that's probably the only way we would be able to see ships and vehicles of those sizes released at all would make them worth it.

Besides for all of those mentioned, getting each one would cover the movies. 6 different toy chests one for each of the six movies.

-Sal

Yes the toy chest / carrying case would be an excellent idea to get these rather large vehicles. The only good detail needs to be on the outside really & the inside we could customize if we felt the need to. The Falcon could be used from the TRU display from back in the day to be the ultimate carrying case / playset (the mold is already there Hasbro & it would be a nice Nod to the collectors).

The Sandcrawler & Sail Barge (sorry about that Kidhuman:D ) are both excellent choices as well & I'd be in for all of them. (If issued one or two per year Hasbro) My son & I are getting tired of the same old repaints & re-issues, time to shake things up in 2007. I'll buy a few from this year Hasbro (Mace Starfighter, 2 AT-AT's & the droid tank) & nothing more in the future until we see something new. I have way too many re-hashes as it is & it's time to put my foot down. Start getting us exited again about ships & playsets again with excellent fresh new ideas, have a poll on vehicles (mid & large) if you have to figure out what we want. Think Slippery When Wet, like Bon Jovi did back in the day with their third album. If you don't know: They asked their fans at a local concert to pick the best songs for the Slippery When Wet album & look what happened with that, it has gone to multi-platinum status around the world. (sold in excess of 12 million copies since it's release in 86 so it wasn't a bad idea)

El Chuxter
06-13-2006, 10:14 AM
The Juggernaut needs to come with a CommTech chip so the Clones can yell, "Don't you know what this is?"

DarthBrandon
06-13-2006, 10:55 AM
The Juggernaut needs to come with a CommTech chip so the Clones can yell, "Don't you know what this is?"

"No what is it" replies the droids.:D

JediTricks
06-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I haven't dug out my Flash Speeder in a while. I pictured it holding four. A bongo needs to be at least as big to seat three.The Flash Speeder holds 4 the way a 1970's-era Honda Civic holds 4. :p The front seat passengers are all crammed together, the back seat passenger must sit sideways and put his legs up on the seat as there's no leg room, and the 4th passenger has to stand on the bumper. :D
http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeI/ep1vehflashspeederboxfr.jpg