PDA

View Full Version : Would you like SSC to include a scene specific base for each 12" Star Wars figure?

Turbowars
06-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Now that we know SS will include a Sand/dirt base for their upcoming Droid 3 pack for Darth Maul I think it's time for SS to include a similar base/stand for each 12" Star Wars figure. Luke could had come with either a Death Star or Jabba's Palace floor section and Anakin could come with, hell anything really. I know the SDCC version will have the droid base, so at least they have something in the works, but I'd like to see them all with their own bases.

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 03:32 PM
As cool as it might be, a specialized base would mean either the price would have to go up or the quality of the figure would have to go down, and I'm not really into either. I haven't thought about using the base with my Luke fig yet, it's not really big enough to make a diorama - it's barely big enough to notice under his feet at all. I know SSC does offer some generic battle landscape pieces separately from their other figures though, but they can reuse those with several sets, the SW ones would be sorta 1-shot.

If they could do it without affecting price or quality, I wouldn't say no though. :p

What if they took the current round base and put a photo of a Star Wars floor on it instead of the brand name, would that be ok or is sculpted the only thing you'd accept?

Turbowars
06-11-2006, 12:36 AM
I was thinking of a sculpted base only. I don't think a sticker would look very good. That would be like getting leather seats in a KIA.:razz: I wouldn't mind if the price went up 5-10 bucks but not anymore that that. The price of the SDCC Anakin didn't go up and we are getting a base. So I don't know if it would be that big of a deal. I can't believe no one else has replied.:sad:

Reefer Shark
06-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I think that would be pretty cool. The scene-specific bases on the Premium Format figures look fantastic! The upcoming one with Dagobah Luke is so awesome...

But then again, there's something about uniform stands/bases for figures on a display next to each other.

I dunno.. I guess I would be happy if they did 'em, but wouldn't really think much about it if they didn't. (how's that for a flimsy answer? lol)

Turbowars
06-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Not good enough, try again later. :upset: :p

Reefer Shark
06-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Alright.... I'll try after you get your beauty sleep. :thumbsup:

Sith Lord 0498
06-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I agree with JediTricks. I think including specialized bases would drive the cost up, and I don't think it's a necessary addition. I like the way they are doing the desert base--include it as part of an accessory pack.

Turbowars
06-11-2006, 10:02 AM
You guys are nothing but a bunch of thrifty collectors.:mad:

K M Toydarian
06-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't mind a simple generic Star Warsy floor section as a base that is wide enough to connect to each other, or at least seamlessly flow, and maintain a good amount of room for each figure.
I like a uniform look, and a long continuous floor section would be nice.
I wouldn't want to pay more though either, it is not that important to me. Offering different bases separatley would be fine. If you want one, get one, and if you need extras, you can get em.

JediTricks
06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
I was thinking of a sculpted base only. I don't think a sticker would look very good. That would be like getting leather seats in a KIA.:razz: I think your metaphor is backwards, it'd be like getting vinyl seats in a Bentley. :D I was thinking screened on though, not a sticker, but the idea is close enough that your comment still works.

I wouldn't mind if the price went up 5-10 bucks but not anymore that that. The price of the SDCC Anakin didn't go up and we are getting a base. So I don't know if it would be that big of a deal. I can't believe no one else has replied.:sad:Damn, you are generous on the pricing issue! :p SDCC Anakin *did* go up $5 for anybody who isn't going to the con, and that's on top of the $5 increase that Anakin already carries over the other 12" SW figs, plus there's no actual stand in that set, it's just a base. IMO, these are actually $5 to $10 overpriced right now and can barely support their $50 pricetags, they're using generic bodies, they feel like $40 figures with $10 boxes.

You guys are nothing but a bunch of thrifty collectors.:mad:Hell yes :greedy: I very nearly didn't get into this line at all because of how damn expensive these are already! They're releasing 7, 8 of these a year at $50 a pop, plus we're collecting all sorts of Hasbro crap and LEGO crap and Master Replicas Force FX, and that's just the poorer collectors like me who can't afford Premium Formats and Limited Edition Lightsabers and Studio Scale Replicas and such.

Darth Cruel
06-13-2006, 08:42 PM
OK - Now I think this really depends on what kind of stand we are talking about here. If it is a stand like the one that comes with the figure, but textured and painted to match the scene the figure represents, then there would be no reason for the price to go up...not at all.

On the other hand, if we are talking a 6 or 8 inch by 8 or 10 inch mini diorama-type base...I would 'fess up an extra 5.00 wothout too much of a fuss.

I definitely want to see accessory "expansion packs" LONG before I want to see an improvement in the stands, though.

I do not use the stands anyway...and I would give them away if I were not so anal-retentive about completism.

Jayspawn
06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I like the stands they come with. I'm perfectly happy with those.

Turbowars
06-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Man I think you guys just don't like me. (In fact I know some of you don't) As you can see I'm taking this very personally.;)

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 06:40 PM
OK - Now I think this really depends on what kind of stand we are talking about here. If it is a stand like the one that comes with the figure, but textured and painted to match the scene the figure represents, then there would be no reason for the price to go up...not at all.I disagree, the current stands are the generic SSC stands with just a quick SW logo paint ap and I think some copyright info. Textured and painted means it no longer is generic, so instantly the price goes up because it isn't manufactured in as high of numbers, and then you have the price of a new mold for the texture of the base, and more expensive paint apps for it.

On the other hand, if we are talking a 6 or 8 inch by 8 or 10 inch mini diorama-type base...I would 'fess up an extra 5.00 wothout too much of a fuss.Try $25 and up for that stuff (they had more last I checked, but these are the only ones I've found so far): http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=accessories&item=6605&type=store
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=accessories&item=6608&type=store

They do have a 5x5 actual detailed stand, and it's only $10:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=accessories&item=6604R&type=store
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=accessories&item=6602R&type=store

I definitely want to see accessory "expansion packs" LONG before I want to see an improvement in the stands, though.

I do not use the stands anyway...and I would give them away if I were not so anal-retentive about completism.I feel the same way.

Darth Cruel
06-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Man I think you guys just don't like me. (In fact I know some of you don't) As you can see I'm taking this very personally.;)

Turb! Say it ain't so! You know we love you just like the rest of the cyber-family (gives the rest of the cyber-family a nudge and a wink).

Turbowars
06-17-2006, 07:31 PM
LOL, yeah, but it's more of a Love/hater relationship, right? :yes:

Hey, now that we see Maul's Droids come with a sand base cover that will fit over all standard stands I think they have something here. I still rather it be bigger, but it's a start.

Reefer Shark
06-17-2006, 08:06 PM
lol I guess everyone just loves to hate ya Turbo! lol j/k!

They do have a 5x5 actual detailed stand, and it's only $10:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=accessories&item=6604R&type=store
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=accessories&item=6602R&type=store

That mud/grass base looks hella cool. Now I want one of those for my SS Luke (since I have him setup w/ Hasbros Endor Poncho), ....yet another search begins, the curse of the collector :stupid:

Tycho
06-19-2006, 05:45 PM
OK, Tycho here to settle this issue:

1) SS should use clear stands - that way you can put the figure on a stand in any diorama setting you want - Anakin on "the pink bubble-gum planet" for example. Never heard of that? Well you can now create it if you're so inclined. Anyway, since it'll be clear, they can etch SS or SW or the character's name, or "Worship Mouse Droids" into every stand and you really won't notice it unless you go looking for that.

2) with any price raise, SS should include a Mouse Droid with every figure. I can't stress how important this is! :crazed: You can never have enough Mouse Droids!

Turbowars
06-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Yes, SSC should include a mouse droid with every 12" figure and then everything will be complete.

JediTricks
06-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Clear stands at this scale would never look convincing, they'd be too big to be unnoticable so they'd basically look like a big white disk.

Tycho
06-20-2006, 06:14 PM
They could re-write the dialogue for the next version of the OT:

"The circle is now complete. When we last met I was standing on a big white disk. Now I'm standing on another big white disk."

"It's really a clear disk Darth. It's only reflecting light."

"But if you put it on an oblique surface, you should never underestimate the Dark Circle of the Force."

"Yeah, but if you put it on a red surface, it will look like you're standing in lava again."

"Your argument is weak Old Man. When I left you I was still on a big white disk. Now I have a new, big white disk."

"I've been trying to tell you, if you look down at it, it's as much a clear transparent disk as you could possibly imagine."

"I'd like it better in black!"