PDA

View Full Version : VTSC (Vintage The Saga Collection) Greedo reviewed

plasticfetish
06-14-2006, 04:54 AM
Whether he shot first or not, you'll still probably buy him last.

I change my mind every so often when it comes to buying a figure. (Okay, it happens pretty often really.) There have been plenty of times when I’ve thought... no, I’m not going to bother with that one, but then later I get it and like it. The new VTSC (Vintage The Saga Collection) Greedo figure is exactly one of those. I have a bunch of Greedo figures and they’re all decent, even the super buff POTF2 version is cool, so I was in no hurry to buy this one. Greedo has always been a favorite of mine though, and as far back as I can remember, I’ve been a fan of the rubber fish face and the super cool futuristic track suit. Frankly, as a kid I’d always thought that there should have been more Greedo in Star Wars. (Maybe he deserves his own TV show? Huh? How about it Mr. Lucas?) So, I felt obligated to buy one of these spendy, highly "collectible" vintage inspired Greedo figures... and yeah, as it turns out it’s great!

First, how’s the packaging? The "vintage" style packaging is nice -- it’s great to look at, or it’ll fill you with nostalgic joy as you tear it apart. Latter runs of these have switched from a protective shell that’s taped shut, to a new "tamper proof" bubble that’s been crimped shut. It makes it next to impossible for anyone to steal the UGH (Ultimate Galactic Hunt) sticker that’s included, but also makes it totally impossible to open the protective shell without destroying it. They want you to buy two of them anyway, so I suppose it’s surprising that they didn’t do this earlier. (I’m not a big fan of the tape, so I do think it’s a good thing.)

How does the figure look? This is another one of those figures that suffers when it’s sealed up. You can’t get a good look at it until you’ve freed it from the bubble, and once you have, you’ll see that it’s a fairly simple figure, but it’s handled extremely well from top to bottom. The head sculpt is great. Big buggy black eyes, fishy mouth, bumpy skin, funny ears and antennae, all done with a nice subtle two tone paint job. The body is handled just as well. The details are simple, the paint is again subtle but effective, and overall, there’s nothing for me to complain about.

I mean... I could try to complain. I could say that I think the fuzzy vest is odd. Which was true at first, but after playing around with him for a bit, I find that the cloth vest is cut really well, and it sits on the figure just right. (Looking at the film, I see that Greedo’s vest does in fact seem to be made of a similar material. Some kind of velour perhaps.) Truth be told, there’s nothing about this figure that looks wrong to me.

So, how does the toy feel? In all, this is a solid and well built figure. It’s made with good firm plastic. It has joints that are all nice and tight -- that bend where they’re supposed to without falling apart. Again, no problems here.

What about play value? Aside from detail, articulation is supposed to be what these modern "vintage" figures are all about, and Greedo doesn’t disappoint. There’s plenty of parts that bend and twist -- neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, waist, hips, knees and ankles -- with plenty of ball joints just where they should be. So, the figure looks good, it’s well built and it has all sorts of articulation that isn’t ruined by any kind of silly gimmick or action feature. Add it all up, and you’ve got a 3 3/4" action figure with perfect play value. I mean it, really... this Greedo figure is cool, and easily as fun to play with as any of the others from this new group of vintage inspired figures.

Would I recommend that you buy it? I like this figure very much. It does its best to make itself worth the inflated $10 (or as much as $12 in some places) price. Yes, I certainly recommend this one, and think it’s a shame that most people seem to be leaving it hanging when given the choice of figures to buy from these five. So again, grab it and if one day there’s a live action TV show about the adventures of a bounty hunter named Greedo, then we’ll already have the best possible figure.

trandoshan666
06-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Man, I just wish I could find one of these :D.

Devo
06-14-2006, 05:18 PM
I'd still have preferred a different character but this figure is good. The cloth vest is crap IMO but this figure is shorter than Han, as he needs to be. The Commtech one was a giant.

2-1B
06-15-2006, 12:25 AM
A very well written review PF, nice job. :)

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 12:29 AM
I may have to open this one after all. When I took out the POPs, I was excited about opening the other four and displaying them, but Greedo's been stuck in his packaging because I've not been able to get excited about him.

sebillba
06-15-2006, 04:42 AM
An excellent review, it's nice to see this superb figure get some recognition, instead of the usual "we don't need yet another Greedo, give us yet more clones" whinging. I'm a big fan of Greedo, and this figure is now my favourite ever made... of any character. I'd already bought one, so didn't really need the review, but still enjoyed reading it.

I'm in England, so unfortunately the $10-12 price tag doesn't apply... you think this is inflated, but mine cost closer to $30!! But I still think it's worth every penny. I've got a couple more since a bit cheaper from ebay, so now have one for my cantina display, another for my own "Hall of Fame" of favourite/core characters, and a third to display on the card.

One more bum deal for us non-americans... I still had to destroy the heat sealed protective case to get him out, yet it's not to prevent stealing the UGH stickers here - we don't get these anyway, as we're not elligible for the mailaway offer! I'd much rather have the taped cases, as these figures are made to opened... otherwise, why bother making them SA??

Devo
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Yes the heat sealed clamshells are an unfortunate thing. I had to scissors cut all my VTSCs open and as a result only the vintage styled card remains presentable.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Great review PF. I was literally going to pass on this figure as an opener but now that I read this, you KNOW I have to buy one to open. :thumbsup:

Thanks, thanks alot for making me spend more money lol

Along the lines of the clamshells, I was lucky to have some left over from the VOTC line with some of the extras I got so I was able to open the VTSC, get the stickers out and mail away for that ugly GL figure (it's not for me) and still have them look great.

figrin bran
06-16-2006, 01:51 AM
this is actually my favorite VTSC figure! at first it was the scout trooper but the more i looked at the head, the more i realized how tiny and out of proportion it is compared to the rest of the body.

i actually like the cloth vest but for those who don't, rest assured that commtech greedo's vest fits on this version as well.

anyhow, i even bought 2 Greedos to open...one was used to make a Rodian Jedi on an ROTS obi wan body which came out pretty nicely i thought. or at least i tell myself that in order to justify cutting up such an expensive figure! ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
06-16-2006, 10:31 AM
i actually like the cloth vest but for those who don't, rest assured that commtech greedo's vest fits on this version as well.

Wow, great idea figrin bran! :thumbsup: I think I still have one of the ct greedo vests on my ellors madak to make him into baniss keeg lol

plasticfetish
06-17-2006, 05:43 AM
I'd completely decided that I was only getting/opening this one to round out the set, but it really is good. (It's been an all around decent bunch of figures with these five.)
anyhow, i even bought 2 Greedos to open...one was used to make a Rodian Jedi on an ROTS obi wan body which came out pretty nicely i thought.Kind of why I'm hoping there will be a few of these floating around on clearance at some point. :) Be great to have some for customizing... a Rodian Jedi is a cool idea.

figrin bran
06-18-2006, 02:16 AM
the rodian jedi is actually hasbro's idea from the CW Jedi Army 3 pack. i didn't like the lack of articulation on that figure, not to mention how he holds his lightsaber as if he's getting ready to hit a fastball out of the ballpark and so i decided to make a better version.

plasticfetish
06-18-2006, 03:54 AM
the rodian jedi is actually hasbro's idea from the CW Jedi Army 3 packAhh, that's right. Forgot about him. (Him?)

----------

Okay gang, the dedicated review section is up and running, so feel free to post your own review for this figure >> here (http://reviews.sirstevesguide.com/showproduct.php?product=9).

Kidhuman
07-28-2006, 08:53 PM
I like this figure alot, I bought it for 3 bucks at Target last night. Awesome figure.

plasticfetish
07-28-2006, 09:05 PM
For sure, and getting it for $3 makes it even better. :)

bigbarada
07-28-2006, 11:53 PM
The vest bothers me, just because it looks cheap. I'm thinking there has to be something that Hasbro could have done to NOT make it look like a kindergarten art & crafts project. Aside from that though, great figure. I'm sure I'll eventually get over the vest, but if not, then I'll get an OTC Greedo and do a swap.

If I had to rank him out of the five figures, I would put him at third best:

1. Biker Scout
2. Tusken Raider (the cloth robes look really nice if you take some time to work with them)
3. Greedo
4. Luke X-Wing
5. Han Endor (I had high hopes but ultimately a terrible figure)

plasticfetish
07-29-2006, 01:47 AM
If I had to rank him out of the five figures, I would put him at third bestI like your list, but I'd maybe flip 2 and 3. I'm down on the Tusken because of the elbows. I agree about that Han though. I just opened one today for the first time, and it's very ho-hum.

TheDarthVader
07-31-2006, 12:03 PM
I agree with you about the Greedo figure. This is one of the best figures in the set. I would put him in at number 2 as well.

Kidhuman
07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
I happen to agree with Big B's list. Although I dont have Luke opened yet(havent found a second one yet), nothing can be worse than Han.

sebillba
08-01-2006, 02:18 AM
I've said it before, and I haven't changed my mind.... this Greedo is my favourite figure EVER. Han Endor is the worst of this set, and the other three are very close in the middle. So here's my Top 5:

1. Greedo - ok, I had to swap his vest with Cantina Bar Greedo, but he still looks fine with the soft goods.:love:

2. Luke X-Wing - an iconic figure that needs no further improvements. :thumbsup:

3. Biker Scout - I thought this was pretty much perfect, but Hasbro have found a way to improve it by making a flip-up helmet, so this one has lost some points with me. :yes:

4. Tusken Raider - I love Tuskies, and this would've probably been my #2 if it hadn't been for the fall-apart split elbow joints. :cross-eye

5. Han Endor - mine has a wonky midriff joint, and can't even stand up straight... others I've seen on the net don't have this problem, so I dislike mine even more. :upset:

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 07:03 AM
5. Han Endor - mine has a wonky midriff joint, and can't even stand up straight... others I've seen on the net don't have this problem, so I dislike mine even more. :upset:

Mine has the same, his hips sem to jut out to the side. Its sassy Han. If you look on the cardbacks(if you have them still) the figure was made like this and it is the dumbest thing ever.

sebillba
08-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, but mine looks more drunk than sassy! I tried to attach a pic, but couldn't get it small enough. Compared to this one I found on ebay (link below), which stands up perfectly straight, mine definitely looks like he's had one too many in the Cantina:crazed:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Star-Wars-HAN-SOLO-ENDOR-SAGA-2006_W0QQitemZ300012244047QQihZ020QQcategoryZ93841 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem