PDA

View Full Version : R4 in the Side Pocket

stillakid
06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Where does the bottom half of the droid go anyway?

El Chuxter
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
According to one thing I read, he's only a head that's hard-wired into the starfighter.

Doesn't explain R2 very well, though, does it?

2-1B
06-14-2006, 12:56 PM
The head thing was from the AOTC version of the starfighter which made sense but like Chux said, it doesn't explain Artoo in ROTS. Unless this newer starfighter model is deep enough to fit a droid socket in the side ?

Is that even the same R4 from AOTC? I don't think it is, I doubt Obers flew that red ship back from Geonosis.

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 06:27 PM
It is the same R4 in both Ep 2 and 3, R4-P17. Someone actually pointed out to Lucas when he approved the Ep 2 design that there was no room for the astromech body, he says in the documentary about it's just about how it looks, that it doesn't matter because someone will make something up to make it fit. The AOTC JSF has even less room than the Naboo Fighter, which doesn't fit either because there's no room for the droid shoulders.

The Ep 3 JSF however has a box under the wing on each wing that has enough room for the droid without any shenanigans.

The EU argument for the AOTC JSF with R4-P17 is that he has a micro-body instead of a regular droid body, Ep 3 counters that he has a regular body (which is partly seen in the movie, since the upper body sticks its torso halfway out the fighter) and it's just that in Ep 2 the dome brain is removed.

Slicker
06-14-2006, 07:28 PM
IThe AOTC JSF has even less room than the Naboo Fighter, which doesn't fit either because there's no room for the droid shoulders.I think I saw that the Naboo fighter one was explained away by saying that the droids can raise the dome up on an extended neck kinda looking like ET when he does it. Lame, I know, but that's what I read.

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Yes, that's indeed what you read, it's in the Ep 1 Incredible Cross-Sections book, they have the legs telescope down as well because of the lack of vertical space, but this actually is impossible because the feet have stuff UNDER the body and the drawing clearly shows the legs still right next to the body so they just magically occupy the same space as each other.