PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman reveals his secret identity!

basschick
06-15-2006, 07:11 AM
this sure came as a surprise to me :shocked: anyone else hear about this before today?

"NEW YORK - For a comic book hero, it's the ultimate taboo.

In the latest edition of the Marvel comic "Civil War" on sale, Spiderman does the unthinkable and removes his Spidey mask to publicly reveal his hidden identity.

"I'm proud of who I am, and I'm here right now to prove it," the legendary webslinger tells a press conference called in New York's Times Square, before pulling off his mask and standing before the massed ranks of reporters as newspaper photographer Peter Parker.

"Any questions?" Parker asks in the final panel of the issue, amid a barrage of camera flashes.

In a statement, Marvel trumpeted the revelation as "arguably the most shocking event in comic book history.""

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storyPage.aspx?storyId=41780

Slicker
06-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Holy carp!! I don't read comic books but that's quite a deal there.

I would hope they aren't doing it because sales are low though?

2-1B
06-15-2006, 08:48 AM
It's probably an alternate universe type thing and they'll change it all again later. Then they'll bring back some dead guy who wasn't really dead. Or was really dead, but brought back anyway.

lol

darthvyn
06-15-2006, 08:54 AM
It's probably an alternate universe type thing and they'll change it all again later. Then they'll bring back some dead guy who wasn't really dead. Or was really dead, but brought back anyway.

lol

yeah, yeah, yeah... funny...

it's actually a pretty big thing - they have a storyline now running through all major character's books about registering all super-powered individuals with the government. Iron Man just outed himself, and since he's taken Spidey on as his protege of sorts, he's made the decision to follow suit.

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 08:54 AM
No, Caesar, it's tied in with the current Civil War storyline, where everyone gets to act out of character in the interest of big hero vs hero fights. :rolleyes:

This kind of poop makes me glad I swore off Marvel. Shame, because they have the better characters of the two major companies.

darthvyn
06-15-2006, 09:16 AM
No, Caesar, it's tied in with the current Civil War storyline, where everyone gets to act out of character in the interest of big hero vs hero fights. :rolleyes:

oh, you loved "secret wars."

Kidhuman
06-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Everyone loved secret wars, but this is poo-doo.

Rocketboy
06-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Iron Man just outed himself, and since he's taken Spidey on as his protege of sorts, he's made the decision to follow suit.Wasn't Iron Man's identity already known in the Marvel Universe?

LusiferSam
06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Wasn't Iron Man's identity already known in the Marvel Universe?
Yes and no. Tony Stark (who has been Iron Man most of the time) made his identity known at one time and has then spend a lot of time covering his tracks up again. At least according to ASM a few months back.

I knew this was happening. I've read ASM for years. This is far from the worst story line Marvel has ever done this Spidy (the Clone crap and MJ's "death" and separation are the tops in my mind).

darthvyn
06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Everyone loved secret wars, but this is poo-doo.

i think this crossover makes more sense than secret wars... and especially more sense than the new REMAKE of secret wars coming down the pike, "beyond"!

yeah, iron man's id was made public, then he got james rhodes to be iron man to appear next to him in public, so it "proved" he wasn't iron man. then after a while tony started being iron man again, and used remote-control iron man armor suits to appear beside him to still "prove" he wasn't iron man. now he's outed himself again.

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
James Rhodes? Is he drunk in an alley with Dan Ketch, Steve Rogers, and Ben Reilly?

Oh, make that "is he drunk in an alley with Dan Ketch, Steve Rogers, and the melted corpse of Ben Reilly?"

darthvyn
06-15-2006, 01:41 PM

This kind of poop makes me glad I swore off Marvel. Shame, because they have the better characters of the two major companies.

i was just thinking - it will all be worth it even if it impacts the marvel universe in no other way than J. Jonah Jameson's reaction, which i envision thusly:

"i knew it all along."

he then keels over dead, suffering 5 simultaneous heart attacks, a stroke and hysterical pregnancy.

JON9000
06-15-2006, 04:48 PM
How many Marvel superheros even have secret identities anymore? Probably not that many. For Spiderman, the secret identity is so integral to the character I'm not so sure it is a good idea to get rid of it. Spidey is the "normal" superhero, the guy with superpowers who still has to deal with the trappings of daily life. If he is out, Peter Parker sort of ceases to exist and it is all Spidey all the time. I haven't read comics in over ten years, so I guess it isn't my problem, but it still seems odd.

El Chuxter
06-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Excellent point. If all the daily-life drama is taken from their flagship title, then the Marvel Method, as created by Stan Lee, is now dead. At least at Marvel.

Dominic Guglieme
06-15-2006, 05:27 PM

lol

This is not an alternate timeline. But, Marvel's continuity is so fragmented and sloppy that the "big reveal" coudl easily be retconned. How many times has Iron Man been "outed"? The last one was undone with a blatant "it never happened" retcon involving the Scarlet Witch.

And, the "Marvel Method" has been functionally dead for about 10 years now.

jjreason
06-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Daredevil was recently "outted" as well, but Matt Murdock is still desperately trying to deny that he's DD - from behind bars!!!

darthvyn
06-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Daredevil was recently "outted" as well, but Matt Murdock is still desperately trying to deny that he's DD - from behind bars!!!

it's an awesome storyline, one that i thought would've been the catalyst to an event like this one, or at least an integral part of it, but it's almost fully ignored in the grand scheme of "civil war."

to quote G'n'f'n'R:

"what's so civil about war, anyway..."

InsaneJediGirl
06-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm not too happy about Spiderman revealing he is Peter Parker to the world,kind of makes it "not special" anymore. Perhaps if I dont think about that timeline it will go away ;)

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 02:45 AM
For Spiderman, the secret identity is so integral to the character I'm not so sure it is a good idea to get rid of it. Spidey is the "normal" superhero, the guy with superpowers who still has to deal with the trappings of daily life. If he is out, Peter Parker sort of ceases to exist and it is all Spidey all the time. I haven't read comics in over ten years, so I guess it isn't my problem, but it still seems odd.That's exactly where I'm coming from, except with the addition of "THIS TOTALLY SUCKS" running through my head. To mangle a quote from "Lois & Clark"... "Spider-man is what I can do; Peter Parker is who I am."

Spidey is one of the main superheroes I've always dug since as long as I can remember, not because he was a teenage kid, but because he's a normal guy who just happens to have awesome spider powers and super intelligence, these fantastic abilities but real life still keeps him humble and human... ok, mainly as a kid I was into it for the powers. ;)

darthvyn
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Spidey is one of the main superheroes I've always dug since as long as I can remember, not because he was a teenage kid, but because he's a normal guy who just happens to have awesome spider powers and super intelligence, these fantastic abilities but real life still keeps him humble and human... ok, mainly as a kid I was into it for the powers. ;)

well, most of you should have a hint as to how much i love spidey... that said, there's a big rift between the fandom - those that want him to change and mature/age, and those that want him to remain the same brilliant yet somehow poor downtrodden guy he's always been. i mean, with a brain that's apparently on par with tony stark and reed richards, all the guy can do for money is sell photographs of himself and/or deliver pizzas?

that said, i love pete the way he was, before he hooked up with the new avengers and lived in a normal apartment instead of a literal ivory tower. i'm not sure how this whole thing will pan out, but i'm willing to read on and find out...

jjreason
06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
The bottom line is this: for those that love Parker the way he was, those stories will always be there. These things are very cyclic - you can choose to jump off and on the story bandwagon whenever you want, as can anyone else.

If they left every character the same all the time for 40 some-odd years, there'd be absolutely no freshness at all.

El Chuxter
06-16-2006, 12:46 PM
While I agree with you for the most part, doesn't this mean there's no major Marvel hero with a secret ID anymore? It's almost like a backlash against what was once the case (everyone has a secret ID, no matter how farfetched) to completely rid everyone of secret IDs.

Spidey, for instance, makes sense to keep his ID hidden, as he has a beautiful wife, a frail aunt, and a boss who hates his alter ego's guts. Iron Man, what does it matter? The guy's richer than Bill Gates and can afford to live in an impenetrable fortress if he wants, so Mandarin can't attack him when he's on a drunken binge.

Wouldn't it make more sense for a publisher to look at the character, how s/he operates, his or her mental condition, and their "real life" environment, and make an intelligent decision regarding secret IDs on a case-by-case basis.

Rocketboy
06-16-2006, 04:57 PM
well, most of you should have a hint as to how much i love spidey... You are? Hadn't noticed...:p

Spidey, for instance, makes sense to keep his ID hidden, as he has a beautiful wife, a frail aunt, and a boss who hates his alter ego's guts. Iron Man, what does it matter? The guy's richer than Bill Gates and can afford to live in an impenetrable fortress if he wants, so Mandarin can't attack him when he's on a drunken binge.

Wouldn't it make more sense for a publisher to look at the character, how s/he operates, his or her mental condition, and their "real life" environment, and make an intelligent decision regarding secret IDs on a case-by-case basis.Marvel did that not so long ago with Spider-man. Just 2 years ago in Marvel Knights Spider-man #2, Spidey goes to the Avengers for help in finding his abducted Aunt May. Spidey was totally freaked by the fact that someone knew who he was and went after his family.

This issue was also where I thought Iron Man was already public with his identity. Cap and Iron man don't understand why Spidey doesn't go public because they say it has been a liberating thing for them.

2-1B
06-16-2006, 06:41 PM
yeah, yeah, yeah... funny...

Sorry Vyn, just taking a poke, didn't mean for it to be a full jab. :D

darthvyn
06-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Marvel did that not so long ago with Spider-man. Just 2 years ago in Marvel Knights Spider-man #2, Spidey goes to the Avengers for help in finding his abducted Aunt May. Spidey was totally freaked by the fact that someone knew who he was and went after his family.

This issue was also where I thought Iron Man was already public with his identity. Cap and Iron man don't understand why Spidey doesn't go public because they say it has been a liberating thing for them.

that's a little bit of an iffy situation there, though... was MK an official part of the marvel universe at the time, stand-alone stories, or a completely different timeline? they've changed the "idea" behind MK like, 3 or 4 times at this point... i only bring it up, because that might've not been the iron man and cap that are now in this "civil war" storyline... but it's a good mix up to call out - you win a no-prize!

Sorry Vyn, just taking a poke, didn't mean for it to be a full jab. :D

ha! don't worry, i was just kidding around... the only problem is that there are a lot of people that have that perception of comics out there, and can't be swayed even by some of the best storylines out there...

but the stuff that i cited above doesn't really help matters! :D

all in all, i'd say marvel has done what they set out to accomplish... we've got die-hard fans, casual fans, and even people who don't read comics all discussing this issue (litterally the issue "civil war #2" and figuratively the issue of super-hero registration and secret identities...)

i wonder, though, how "big" a storyline has to be to get media coverage like this...

Rocketboy
06-17-2006, 11:08 AM
that's a little bit of an iffy situation there, though... was MK an official part of the marvel universe at the time, stand-alone stories, or a completely different timeline? they've changed the "idea" behind MK like, 3 or 4 times at this point... i only bring it up, because that might've not been the iron man and cap that are now in this "civil war" storyline... but it's a good mix up to call out - you win a no-prize!I never heard that about MK. If it's not official, then that really sucks. The initial 12 issues of MK Spider-man was one of the best Spidey stories I personally have ever read.

jjreason
06-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm sure the MK Spidey run was part of the main continuity.

Chux - you're right, each character's personal life would dictate whether or not they'd choose to have their ID known or protected. In this case, the government is not asking each hero publically disclose their ID, just register it. There was no onus on Peter to stand up, he did that of his own accord.

Phantom-like Menace
06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I guess I know now why my friend (who's probably never read a comic in her life) was talking about Spider-Man being in the news for something that happened in the comics. I'm right up there with those asking if that's something wise for that character to do. Too many enemies, too many loved ones to get killed.

I was of the understanding that Spider-Man was going to be the one character trying to find his place in the middle and struggling along trying to decide what was best.

Not trying to get too off-topic, but do the comics give much justification as to why there are mutants on the side of registration? I would figure the first super heroes to have a massive problem with putting themselves on a list would be mutants.

Rocketboy
06-21-2006, 12:08 AM
In Astonishing X-Men, Cyclops wants to make the X-Men into a respected superhero team, rather than just a bunch of mutants that the world hates and fears. This could be another step in that direction.
And in Civil War #1 it could be seen as both ways. The X-Men show up to help after the tragedy, but the Sentinels are there...just in case.