PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD commentary tracks?

2-1B
06-16-2006, 07:38 PM
For my money, the single greatest commentary track EVER would be for This is Spinal Tap. I'm talking about the Special Edition version from 2000. :)

Sure the guys look odd as Tap nowadays but doing the commentary in character back then, they still and always will totally "have it." :) The movie is a work of genius so nothing could compare, but I'll be damned if that commentary over the original film doesn't make for another great movie by itself! :grin:

I'm still waiting for a real Big Lebowski commentary track and that's the reason I didn't buy the new edition from last year. :frus: The DVD I have does have that nice 10 minute introductory commentary but that's still an hour and forty minutes too short. ;)

I'd love to give all six Star Wars movies their due here because those are some of the only other ones I've bothered with over the years...and I really do enjoy them, believe me, but I feel shorted that we didn't get singular commentaries and not chopped up sampling from various departments.

I'd love to hear G Lu talk over all 6 movies, not just little snippets here and there.

Other nominees ? :confused: Maybe some of you will prompt me to check out some commentaries that I've skipped (when I first got a DVD player I tore through everything on the new discs until I realized how hard it is to keep up with all the extra features :D ).

Oh, here is a worthy inclusion to my list:
any Kevin Smith movie! I like it when Kevvers gets rolling on a commentary, those are some good times. :)

UKWildcat
06-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm still waiting for a real Big Lebowski commentary track and that's the reason I didn't buy the new edition from last year. :frus:
I was going to hold off on the new Big Lebowski release but I caved due to the new 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer. It is considerably better than the original release. Since I decided to get the film I sprung for the Achiever's Edition Gift Set. I'm a sucker for those kinds of things. Here is Dvdtalks (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18242&___rd=1) review of the edition which they give pretty high marks. I too have been waiting for a commentary track on Big Lebowski (among several other Coen bros. flicks) and I was upset the new release didn't get one.

Now back to the topic. ;)

I haven't watched a ton of movies with the commentary track turned on, but one that immediately came to mind was Donnie Darko (original version, not sure if the DC is different or not). The Donnie Darko commentary was surprisingly good, imo.

Another commentary that comes to mind would be the early seasons of The Simpsons. I've watched the first couple of seasons with their commentaries and they are pretty darn funny.

Oh, here is a worthy inclusion to my list:
any Kevin Smith movie! I like it when Kevvers gets rolling on a commentary, those are some good times. :)
Definitely! I think the only ones I've listened to so far are the ones for Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob. Hilarious stuff.

I'll be thinking of more commentaries and I'll post them when I come up with any. One commentary that I haven't gotten around to yet that I want to, would be the ones for Dark City.

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
My favorite is Tommy Lee Jones and director Barry Sonnenfeld on "Men in Black", with optional MST3k-style silhouettes. They're smart and funny and interesting and talk about the movie a lot without just describing what they're seeing or prattling on about something not involved with the film at all.

2-1B
06-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks JT, that's the kind of referral I am looking for. I have that DVD but never watched it with commentary so I will put it on the list. :)

Just don't make me watch MIIB again, I didn't much care for that one. :D
The first one was fun, though. :yes:

Kidhuman
06-16-2006, 11:23 PM
I have never listened to commentary tracks. I find it kind of annoying.

JimJamBonds
06-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Here is one I suggest you don't listen to: Anchorman! Its really dumb. The commentary for A Mighty Wind is pretty good... Swingers is decent as well. Caesar is right though Tap takes the cake.

Rocketboy
06-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Gotta agree on the Kevin Smith movies. They were the first movies that popped into my head.

Anyone hear what he's doing for Clerks 2? A couple of days after it's released in theater, you will be able to download a commentary track for your mp3 player and listen to it as you watch the movie a second time in the theater. Cool idea, but I'm not sure I'd do it.

UKWildcat
06-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Anyone hear what he's doing for Clerks 2? A couple of days after it's released in theater, you will be able to download a commentary track for your mp3 player and listen to it as you watch the movie a second time in the theater. Cool idea, but I'm not sure I'd do it.

Interesting idea, but I'd pass.

General_Grievous
06-17-2006, 01:46 PM
The Lord of the Rings commentaries are probably the best I've heard. Also, the one for The Goonies is pretty cool, but Sean Astin walks out halfway through the movie. Huh. But the weirdest one I've heard is the commentary for "Dude, Where's My Car?" because Sean William Scott and Ashton Kutcher are both wasted during it.

JimJamBonds
06-17-2006, 03:42 PM
The commentary for 40 Year Old Virgin is pretty good.

JediTricks
06-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks JT, that's the kind of referral I am looking for. I have that DVD but never watched it with commentary so I will put it on the list. :)Sure thing. I think the Ghostbusters DVD has the same MST3k style silhouettes, and the commentary is good but nowhere as good as MIB.

Just don't make me watch MIIB again, I didn't much care for that one. :D
The first one was fun, though. :yes:Agreed, I was so disappointed in MiB2.

The commentary on Airplane! was surprisingly informative, and they dump all over Airplane 2 which is funny.

2-1B
06-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Here is one I suggest you don't listen to: Anchorman! Its really dumb.

NO KIDDING. :rolleyes:
What a huge letdown (almost as huge a letdown as the "wake up Ron Burgundy" deleted scenes movie :( ). Anchorman is a commentary that should have been killer, I mean they should have done it Tap-style and had the Channel 4 newsteam actors doing it in character...or AT LEAST have Will Ferrell do it as Ron Burgundy with the director being the straight man and offering legitimate info while Ron talks over him and provides completely opposite information.
What a wasted opportunity !

The commentary for A Mighty Wind is pretty good...

Agreed, and I'll put Best in Show alongside that one as Christopher Guest offers up some great insight, like how devoted Parker Posey was to the project that she actually went out and had real braces put on. lol