PDA

View Full Version : Legacy "The future of SW"

mastermatt24
06-18-2006, 01:14 AM
I finally was able to pick up the little 25 jobber at my comic book store, and all I can say is wow, thats the best quarter ive spent in a long time! And ive just skimed it, im saving it for later. The art looks great (even the CG for some reason, but even though I like it I hope they dont incorporate it into the next books), and I am really really looking forward to this series. Seeing all those imperials and new ships was great- only thing im kinda ticke about is the fact that the storm trooper armor hasnt really changed in 130 years.. maybe its enhanced (??) SO, if you havent gotten this yet- go get it!

(Does Cade remind you guys of somebody? Yea I know he looks like luke but I think he looks like someone else but I cant place him!!)

Reefer Shark
06-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Y'know, I was kinda sceptical about this title... but after checking out issue zero (the 25cent book), I'm fully ready for it.

Looks like there's gonna be some really cool characters in this one, and I like the idea of different Jedi factions. Plus no more "rule of two" in the Sith Order, there's gonna be a lot of bad-*** Sith characters in this one!

Rocketboy
06-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah this was an unexpected pleasure.
They have really thought this future out.
The evolutions of the technology seems as plausible as the devolution of OT tech for the PT.
But it does seem like you had to follow the crappy post-Jedi EU to understand some of it, especially with the numerous mentions of the Vong.

Legacy #1 comes out on Wednesday, BTW.

figrin bran
06-18-2006, 09:27 PM
i picked up #0 but i don't know if i'll really follow this series

mastermatt24
06-19-2006, 11:16 PM
i picked up #0 but i don't know if i'll really follow this series
Why not??! :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2006, 12:27 PM
I also thought that $.25 was too good to pass up, but I don't find the "future of SW" all that interesting. All these "the galaxy will never be the same again" stories are getting old... I fear that with the films done, SW will fall into the trap that has become Star Trek fiction. :(

wedge1968
06-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I enjoyed it enough (or am curious enough) to be heading over to the comic book shop at 2 to buy it. I'll give it 3 or 4 issues sell me.

There are reasons to believe that Jag and Jaina do end up together after all. This is good news.

Also, I've read speculation that the head Sith is Jacen (didn't it say he'd been around for about 100 years?).

If this is so, then we have the Skywalkers representing the Jedi and the Solo family representing the Empire and the Sith!!! That is interesting.

Dominic Guglieme
06-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Star Wars Legacy #1
Ugh. At first glance, this comic seemed to be a relaunch of Vampirella, as Darth Talon is clearly designed with the bad-girl aesthetic. And, the writing is not much better. (Oddly, a line of dialogue suggests that the Emperor only wanted to incarcerate Jedi, not kill them. Hot to reconcile that with the Order 66 sequence in Episode 3 is a mystery.)
While many comics are very decompressed, this one suffers from hyper-compression. Ostrander and co are desperately trying to hit the ground running, and it comes across as a desperate scramble. What interesting ideas there were in the preview book are not apparent here.
Grade: D
After Episode 3, I knew SW would go bad, but I never expected it to go this bad, this fast.

Rocketboy
06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
WTF? It was the first issue.
You complain about not seeing the ideas in the preview issue not being shown, yet you say issue #1 was "hyper-compressed."

My only complaint is the one I had when I read #0 -

But it does seem like you had to follow the crappy post-Jedi EU to understand some of it, especially with the numerous mentions of the Vong.

El Chuxter
06-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Well, realistically, like it or not, if it follows the NJO, there pretty much have to be references to the NJO. Keep in mind that that series (again, like it or not) dealt with the first known extra-galactic invasion and a war with a body count that dwarfs the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War combined. And, apparently, one of Palpatine's reasons for seizing power was to keep the Vong at bay.

Again, like it or not. (I happen to think it completely undermines the point of the movies.)

Dominic Guglieme
06-21-2006, 05:33 PM
I would not mind undermining the movies, if the undermining was more intelligently done.

As for RB's comments, the preview set up the possibilty for some good, idea based narrative. This first issue read like a hastily written preable to an RPG. This is event focused drivel that can be summed up with, "some guys do a bunch of stuff, and then other stuff happens when people do other stuff."

This was a chance to put an intelligent new spin on Star Wars, which would have kept old fans interested, and maybe brought in some new readers. Instead, we get hackery. I know Ostrander can do better than this. But, that only makes this comic seem worse.

Rocketboy
06-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, realistically, like it or not, if it follows the NJO, there pretty much have to be references to the NJO.I understand all that, but as one that didn't follow NJO, it kind of threw me out of it a little.

Banthaholic
06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm way behind on my novel reading (college did it to me) so I just focuced what time I did have on prequal era books and comics, so I haven't got to the NJO series yet.

As such the first issue did take a little bit to stay in touch with what was all going on. My local shop also finally got in the .25 issue yesterday as well, so it was a nice handbook to issue 1 (would have been lost without it). Speaking of which this reminded me of the cool Darkhorse SW handbooks fom DE, CE< and x-wing and wish there'd be nore of them.

I think I will like this series. They have some good ideas. I liked Tales of the Jedi alot, and at that time it was as far removed form what I know as SW as this, so I look forward to it's direction and might even be inspired to start picking up some NJO novels. Though the return of the Sith takes away alot of that prophecy of the chosen one stuff...

Dominic Guglieme
06-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, the Sith returning is hardly unprecedented. I am (morbidly) curious to see how they get around the "rule of 2".

Banthaholic
06-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Well, the Sith returning is hardly unprecedented. I am (morbidly) curious to see how they get around the "rule of 2".
According to Issue # 0 Darth Krayt banished the Rule of Two and there is only the rule of One now, meaning the sith order itself

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I've not picked up issue #0 yet (plan to get it tomorrow), but Darth Krayt? Are his cohorts Darth Wampa, Darth Rancor, and Darth Sando Aqua Creature?

mastermatt24
06-24-2006, 03:31 AM
This was a chance to put an intelligent new spin on Star Wars, which would have kept old fans interested, and maybe brought in some new readers.
Personally, I have NEVER, yes NEVER, been this excited about a comic before. I am putting away the summer assigned reading so I can finish Triple Zero so I can finally read Betryal to see if there are any hints to the future, or if any of the events match the holocron readings from the first page.
Somethings things I noticed: Cade's dad has red hair and green eyes- (Not that Im physco analyzing these books or anything, I just pick up on them), the red hair from Ben, and Mara's green eyes.
Krayt really seems like it is Jacen to me, with the whole wanting to save the galaxy and him being over 100 years and his health in decay.
One thing that bugs me- What is up with the cockpit design on the new TIEs? On the lead one on the first page it has the regular TIE cockpit window design, but the other ones all have those slanty windows, as do the ones in "0."
And.. What happened to the one really high ranking Imperial dude that wears the white? He was in one box, but after Krayt took over and made them pledge their alliegences, he wasnt anywhere to be seen. (or am I just thinking too much again?)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I've not picked up issue #0 yet (plan to get it tomorrow), but Darth Krayt? Are his cohorts Darth Wampa, Darth Rancor, and Darth Sando Aqua Creature?If you wait until Comic-Con, Chux, you can get #0 for free!

Well, think about who we already have:
- Darth Mall (I mean, people are cruel and pushy there, but evil?)
- Darth Toysrus (okay, there are scalpers there, plus those who damage packages on purpose)
- Darth Sippycups (this is just sad and pathetic)
- Darth Father (now, some of these guys are scary, especially if sports are on TV when the cable's out)
- Darth Bane (if you use the movie version, it certainly makes you angry at how they cheapened his character)
- Darth Plaquegingivitus (will rot and decay you from the inside)
So, a Darth Yuzzum or Darth Nerf shouldn't be too far behind.
:twisted: :rolleyes:

p.s. Try saying "Darth Nerf" five times fast! ;)

El Chuxter
06-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I asked the local comic shop owner several weeks ago to hold me a #0, and I'm not going to screw him over, even if it's only a quarter. :)

I can't wait to see Darth Bane deduce Darth Vader's secret identity and then break his back!

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, I read #0 and #1 this afternon. #1 isn't horrible, but I had no attachment to the characters at all, and I still feel that it's a lame attempt at undermining the whole sacrifice of Vader to eliminate the Sith. I don't feel at all compelled to get #2, though I'll probably be a sucker and get it anyway.

From a purely storytelling perspective, I thought it was an enormous blow to #1 that it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to folks who hadn't read the supposed "teaser" issue.

I think you're on to something, mastermatt24, and I think it was a dumb decision. However, it would be ironic if Anakin Solo's fear of his legacy nearly paralyzed him, but it was his brother who became like their grandfather.

I read the synopsis on the book jacket for Betrayal, too, and it doesn't sound much better. Overall, it looks like the galaxy becomes a pretty ridiculous place after ROTJ, with a few bright spots (mostly written by Timothy Zahn).

mastermatt24
06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
From a purely storytelling perspective, I thought it was an enormous blow to #1 that it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to folks who hadn't read the supposed "teaser" issue.

I think you're on to something, mastermatt24, and I think it was a dumb decision. However, it would be ironic if Anakin Solo's fear of his legacy nearly paralyzed him, but it was his who became like their grandfather.
Yea, but I think thats why they did release it.
Did you mean Jacen? (Anakin is dead :p)

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I did mean Jacen. I initially left the word "brother" out of "but it was his brother who became like their grandfather." But it would be ironic if Anakin was plagued with fears that he'd become a Sith, and Jacen wound up becoming a Sith.

mastermatt24
06-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Yea it would be. Maybe he found his darker self when he went on his little journey to find himself. I really gotta read Betrayal and see what happens! (I got up to 204 on Triple zero yesterday)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Yea it would be. Maybe he found his darker self when he went on his little journey to find himself. I really gotta read Betrayal and see what happens!I just finished Betrayal and I think knowing what happens in that story might fill in some gaps during the Legacy comic series.

Dominic Guglieme
06-26-2006, 04:50 PM
BCJ just summed up a huge mistake SW is making. A new arc should not assume previous interest and knowledge in a franchise. All this does is make a franchise (any franchise) more insular. And, it ain;t exactly winning over all of the old fans either.

mastermatt24
06-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Wha??? Im certianly glad they continued the general "idea." Heck for 18 books worth of NJO they better continue to build on it. Besides, I still think people would be able to get what was going on- like in Betrayl, with the realease of #0 people could get a general idea of what had happened with the vong, courscant, etc..

mastermatt24
06-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Oh yea- Another point: Most of the people that do read SW are probably going to be hardcore readers anyways, so that wouldnt really hurt anything because they would know what happened in the NJO (and beyond/before).

El Chuxter
06-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I know several people who aren't hardcore fans who were looking forward to this. As nearly incomprehensible as it was to me, I hate to imagine reading it from their POV.

Reefer Shark
06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
I haven't read any NJO stuff, just haven't been interested in it. I did read this comic though, and while I didn't get some references, I did get the gist of the story (and enjoyed it too).

I actually appreciate stories that slowly reveal everything, and I'm sure the little details will become more clear as the story progresses. I have absolutely no desire to read the NJO stuff to catch up, and I'm sure I'll get this story just fine without it.

mastermatt24
06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I did get the gist of the story (and enjoyed it too).

Exactly. Like you said, you havent read everything and you still get it. That just goes to show that someone could just pick it up and get whats goin on, so it could most definitly bring new people in who havent had prior NJO reading.

Tycho
06-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I just read it. I was trying to read the whole EU in order, but my General Grievous Comics are in storage, along with Dark Rendezvous, etc. and I just couldn't resist Legacy. I was especially motivated to open it because I myself, am illustrated on the last page of issue # 0 amongst the Imperial Stormtroopers! My friends have been telling me to go look and I eventually did.

For many years now I've been friends with the artist Jan Duursema and she was taking pictures for new character ideas last summer at Comic Con 2005 (right before I had my aneurysm, btw). Apparently I made the cut. I'll have to wait and see if my image recurrs as a character, but apparently I have volunteered, trained, and joined as an officer of the 501st. Haha.

Meanwhile, I have read all of NJO once. I plan to again as I get there through the continuity, but Legacy is quick to read and get through 1 installment per month, so...

That being said, I have not read the Dark Nest stuff, nor Betrayal (going to buy that this weekend, but don't think I'll be reading it just yet - I'll be in my storage trying to find my missing Clone Wars comics and novels).

However, I liked Legacy and could familiarize myself with the characters and story very quickly. Yes, it's very possible that Jacen Solo is the Dark Lord of the Sith. It's actually a predictable plot twist and they won't be shocking many of us here with that one. That doesn't mean it won't be entertaining to watch it play itself out, as the writer-artist team presents each new chapter. We watch the same movies over and over again - and though we might predict this - we've never seen it done before, so...

I'm interested in Emperor Fel and seeing his character play a role. It was his stand-in double that the Dark Lord killed. If Fel is Force-Sensitive, could he be a descendant of Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel's? That would be more interesting and give motivations we hadn't considered to Jacen (if he's the Dark Lord) for doing what he's doing against the Jedi. She was his twin. There could be some dynamic going on there.

mastermatt24
06-30-2006, 03:14 PM
LOL! I totally thought that looked like you!! Are you serious she took pics of you?? I didnt know you guys knew each other like that... ;)

mastermatt24
07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I just randomly thought of something- what if the imposter Emperor Fel was wearing one of those vong oolgith masquer thingys? Maybe thats how he was able to hide himself...

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2006, 09:47 AM
I just randomly thought of something- what if the imposter Emperor Fel was wearing one of those vong oolgith masquer thingys? Maybe thats how he was able to hide himself...I thought those only hid your features, not your "sense" in the Force. I might be wrong.

mastermatt24
07-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Yea your right. But Krayt knew that the person he killed was an imposter, even though he said the reason he knew was that he didnt fight back because he was a trained imp. night. So its just my guess that the imposter had a masquer on.

Tycho
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I'd like to know how the Imperial Knights evolved. How could trained Force users (presumably Alliance Jedi) support Imperial dictatorship? My guess is still that Jaina Solo married into the Fel family and took a faction of Jedi she may have trained with her. Like I said, I didn't read the Dark Nest stuff yet, nor this new Betrayal novel.

Their kids doing that though, is just a slap in the face to everything Han and Leia fought for. I could see Jaina thinkning she was defending her in-laws' family and the ties between the Alliance and Empire are muddy now: Jagged Fel's mother was Wedge Antilles' sister. But this is a little hard to get my head wrapped around.

Dominic Guglieme
07-06-2006, 08:14 PM
The Imperial Knights likely came from the "Galactic Alliance" schism. Remember, the new Empire is objectively a good government. So, it is not "wrong" for honest Jedi to work for an Empire.

Banthaholic
07-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Got around to read issue # 2 today. I won't discuss yet to make sure everyone has read it, but I think I might enjoy this series. Or at least I'm very interested to see where it will be going.

mastermatt24
07-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Im allready enjoying it :D

El Chuxter
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Issue #2. My last issue. I still don't give a rat's butt about any characters, and it feels like a lame re-tread of events post-ROTS that haven't even been dealt with in detail yet. This is the most underwhelmed I've been with a comic book that didn't involve Rob Liefeld at some point in the creative process. Pretty pictures, cool character designs, and snazzy artistic storytelling, but they don't make up for the total lack of a decent script. In fact, if the art sucked, I would think Liefeld was the creator of this and would expect stupid Youngblood characters to show up any minute.

And this still goes against the whole "point" of the films.

This is the "Trekification" of Star Wars we're seeing here--tons of garbage spinoffs that would be better off remaining in the crappy fanfics where they originated.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2006, 12:58 PM
And this still goes against the whole "point" of the films.

This is the "Trekification" of Star Wars we're seeing here--tons of garbage spinoffs that would be better off remaining in the crappy fanfics where they originated.
Sigh... :(
I was afraid of this... the end of the films meant the floodgates would open (think The Simpson's episode when Mr. Burns' "No Solicitors" sign gets taken down and his porch is crawling with sellers). Some SW stories are well-written, so take solace (sp?) in those ones, I guess.

Dominic Guglieme
08-02-2006, 04:22 PM
I do not mind the force being "out of balance" again. But, Legacy is just throwing out random ideas for the sake of throwing them around. There are a half-dozen Sith Lords in this series, and they all look like 90s Image characters.

The writing comes across like a gaming session recounted by a 13 year old.

Still, it beats StarWarsTransformers........

Tycho
08-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Still, it beats StarWarsTransformers........

I hope they never make a comic book of that!

El Chuxter
08-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Sadly, I think a comic book about Star Wars Transformers would be cooler than the figures.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Sadly, I think a comic book about Star Wars Transformers would be cooler than the figures.
Hmm... (wavy lines appear...)

Luke: "How did my father die."
Owen (after giving glance at Beru): "He was a navigator that turns into a spice freighter."

Luke: "What a piece of junk!"
Han: "I may not look like much, kid. But turn an arm here, twist a torso there, hook me and Chewie together, and she'll make .5 past lightspeed."

Luke: "There is still good in him. I've felt it."
Ben: "He's more than meets the eye now. Twist and turn and click him into an evil machine."

Palpatine: "He learned the power to become an ambulance, or a racecar, or a dinosuar, or a bulldozer."
Anakin: "Is it possible to learn this power?"
Palpatine [chee-kor-bronk-klunk-kunk, now is a Lambda class shuttle]: "Ultimate POWER!!!"

Tycho
09-15-2006, 07:29 PM
The latest issue of the Legacy comic was quite good. Anyone read it?

Tycho
10-19-2006, 02:37 PM
This week's edition of Legacy was awesome!

A Noobie Stormtrooper recruit was brought into a squadron commandeered by the new Sith to seize a stronghold of old loyalist troops who stayed aligned with Emperor Fel (probably a descendant of Jaina Solo's).

They defected against their Sith overseer and even managed to kill him!

It was a cliche' inspired by "Platoon," to the letter - Star Wars twisted of course - but it played itself out well. (Plus I love Platoon).

Rocketboy
10-19-2006, 10:33 PM
It came out a week ago (maybe two).
Or did you mean this month's issue?

I was pretty miffed at a meaningless interlude story (or was it? Do they have something planned in the future? Hmmm?) after only 3 issues, and especially after last month's bomb of the return (sort of) of Luke Skywalker.
Plus, the last page of issue 3 said "Continued next issue!" which it wasn't!

El Chuxter
10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Isn't this whole series meaningless?

Rocketboy
10-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Isn't this whole series meaningless?The entire expanded universe is.
Why I read any of it is a mystery to me.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-21-2006, 04:31 PM
The entire expanded universe is.
Why I read any of it is a mystery to me.Well, don't dismiss the entire EU; there's some good stories out there. Sadly, much of the stuff is at "eh" level, with the occasional "poor." But when there's a "good" or "awesome" one, it's all worth it.

Reefer Shark
10-21-2006, 04:47 PM
lol! some of you guys can get so serious about EU stuff. C'mon, they're only comic books, which are all pretty much meaningless (I buy around 5 - 10 meaningless comics a week on average). Some issues are good and some suck, and that goes with every single series I have ever read (non SW included).

This Legacy deal is cool IMO. It's not supposed to feel like the SW we all know and love. They're trying to do something different, and lots of die-hard SW fans are bound to dislike it. Read with an open mind, variety is the spice of life!

Rocketboy
10-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, don't dismiss the entire EU; there's some good stories out there. Sadly, much of the stuff is at "eh" level, with the occasional "poor." But when there's a "good" or "awesome" one, it's all worth it.In my book, Shadows of the Empire is the only EU I'd really count as truly happening in the Star Wars universe.
I know others disagree, but it's the only EU thing I've read that truly captures the feeling of Star Wars, IMO.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2006, 11:51 PM
In my book, Shadows of the Empire is the only EU I'd really count as truly happening in the Star Wars universe.
I know others disagree, but it's the only EU thing I've read that truly captures the feeling of Star Wars, IMO.I really liked SOTE, so I agree. But since you also mentioned those who disagree, allow me to offer these as evidence of capturing the "feeling of Star Wars..."

the first Timothy Zahn trilogy (HttE, DFR, LC)
Yoda: Redezvous [sp?]
Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy (HSaSE, HSR, HSatLL)
A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy (tPS, tHG, RD)
first few in Jedi Apprentice series (#1-about 10)
Last of the Jedi #1

And others I can't recall right now. I've read over 200+ SW EU novels, not including comics (at least 150+ more), which includes young adult series. So, it's not just comics. There's some really good stuff out there, some "eh" stuff, and some stinkers. :pleased: :rolleyes:

Rocketboy
10-23-2006, 12:28 AM
But since you also mentioned those who disagree, allow me to offer these as evidence of capturing the "feeling of Star Wars..."

the first Timothy Zahn trilogy (HttE, DFR, LC)
Yoda: Redezvous [sp?]
Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy (HSaSE, HSR, HSatLL)
A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy (tPS, tHG, RD)
first few in Jedi Apprentice series (#1-about 10)
Last of the Jedi #1And I can't agree on the Zahn trilogy. I struggled through book one (and now I couldn't tell you what it was about) and got about 1/3 through the second (ditto).
Jedi Apprentice - I read the first 3 and I kinda-sorta agree; they do feel a bit like the PT.
The Last of the Jedi has been iffy for me. I really liked the first story amd was disappoined it didn't continue with Obi-Wan (although I understand why they didn't/couldn't).

Apprentice and LOTJ came pretty close at times, but nowhere near Shadows, which hit that certain...thing perfectly, especially the characters.

Tycho
11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
The latest issue of Legacy was pretty cool.

Princess Fel picked up a lightsaber.

Cade ran into his old master and had to fight at his side.

Darth Krayt (likely Jacen Solo) met with the spirits of the long vanquished Sith Lords including Darth Bane. They chastised him for reinventing the Sith Order to include the multile Dark Lords. It was foreshadowed that Jacen's Yuuzhan Vong armor was eating him alive.

An Acklay appeared but felt contrived. I can't say whether I like it when movie cliche species are used in the EU, or new stuff is invented purely for the new story. Probably the latter, if care is taken with it's development.

Jan Duursema was back as the artist (I think she took a break last issue) and once again she brings great quality to the series.

Tycho
02-16-2007, 12:18 AM
The latest issue, telling the story from the Empire's point of view, is awesome!

Rocketboy
02-16-2007, 12:45 AM
I thought it was crap.
Another fill-in issue. The 2nd one out of 8 issues? Give me a f**king break.
All of it should have been incorporated the first time we read the story.

Tycho
02-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Actually, it's sort of creative. I'm writing a novel that is specifically designed to reveal stuff about its own fictional past as you go deeper into the story in the current timeline.

I find it adds a bigger element of mystery to the story.

While I don't know if "mystery" is the right word choice, it provides something else that the reader wants to learn more about, besides the chronological events that move the present time-line story foreward.

DarkArtist
02-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I love this series and can't wait for it to unfold. looking forward to the 4th book which should be out in stores by the end of February from what I hear.

Tycho
02-21-2007, 10:17 PM
I love this series and can't wait for it to unfold. looking forward to the 4th book which should be out in stores by the end of February from what I hear.

This thread is about the Legacy COMICS, Dark Artist. They take place about 130 years after the Legacy books, but are definitely direct affected by what happens in the novels.

I am buying the novels, but was re-reading all my EU and am in the days building up to "A New Hope" right now. But my work on my own non-Star Wars novel has me really too busy to read other stuff right now.

I constantly re-read my own work to make sure it is kept interesting.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
This thread is about the Legacy COMICS, Dark Artist. They take place about 130 years after the Legacy books, but are definitely direct affected by what happens in the novels.Actually, Tycho, this thread has morphed a bit to include some of the novels, too. As you said, the storylines in the novels will (apparently) affect the comics story in... THE FUTURE!

Tycho
02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Well please don't miss a thread on the Legacy novels that I've noticed. Though I myself haven't ventured in there since I haven't read these books for myself.

Banthaholic
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Well please read Legacy # 15. I will not spoil it, but the ending made me almost wet myself.

figrin bran
08-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Someone spoiled that issue on another board. I stopped at around #2 or 3 so now I'm curious about what has happened.

From a certain point of view, one of the Legacy characters is available in stores right now ;)

El Chuxter
08-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Jesus H Christ, I just had to search and that is even more retarded than the rest of this abortion of a comic book. :rolleyes:

No, Figgy, none of the Legacy characters are available in stores right now, as (for reasons unknown) the EU ceases to exist shortly after the NJO. (I'd say the Dark Swarm trilogy, but only because Luke finally finds out who his mother is.)

figrin bran
08-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Chux, I used the proverbial "from a certain point of view" but can't elaborate further as it would be a major spoiler.

El Chuxter
08-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah, since I ain't wasting time on this comic, I searched out the spoiler.

Sad to say, future stories in the SW universe have the potential to be great, but this comic (and the Legacy novels, as well) seem to be just total fanboy wank with no story to tie anything together. I'd like to "get into" it, but I'm well past the age where a lot of explosions and fights with a script that makes Youngblood look like Pulitzer-winning material does anything at all for me other than just annoy me that they can't put more effort into it.

JediTricks
08-10-2007, 03:23 PM
AHAHAHAHAHA!!! I had to look it up, even though I gave up on this series after the first couple issues. Oh my god that was so lame! Way to suck, Legacy! Man, talk about running on empty, how could they think going to that trite well was going to pay off in any way? "We gave him wrinkles and a funny eye, isn't that good enough? This guy's popping everywhere else in the EU after all!"

Tycho
08-10-2007, 06:19 PM
WARNING!! BIG SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Since the prequel era comics started, there were two major breakout characters:

Quinlan Vos
A'Sharad Hett

Both walked a fine line between the Dark Side and the Light.

A great expose was made out of it as the galaxy's fall into darkness and the domination of the Sith evolved.

Ironically, most felt Quinlan would stay on the Dark Side as he was temporarily one of Darth Tyranus' potential apprentices and showed more signs of being closer to the Dark Side, with training and constant contact with a Sith Lord of all things.

With A'Sharad, he is the son of a famous unconventional Jedi who was raised in Tusken Raider brutal culture. He always had the potential. But it was shown what Ki-Adi Mundi, his eventual Jedi Master, could do with him to turn him into a proper Jedi. Later, his brushes with Anakin Skywalker, falling much faster into darkness on his path toward becoming Darth Vader, showed A'Sharad to seem much better balanced than Quinlan.

The comparison is interesting when you look at it that way and watch these characters evolve from the immediately Post-Phantom Menace comics all the way through the Clone Wars and Order-66.

The final product is an awesome result and I think though that might not have always been the intentional plan for these characters (or maybe it was - an interesting question for Dark Horse), it turned out wonderful and brought us characters like Aayla Secura along the way.

El Chuxter
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
The final result is just as awesome as building up Onslaught for several months and then revealing him to be Professor X in a retarded suit of armor. That fiasco made a lot of people stop reading comics for a long time, if not altogether.

And, what, this guy (I'm still not going to name him, since there may be some people who haven't read it yet and want to) hid out during the entire Purge, the entire Galactic Civil War, the entire New Republic era, the entire New Jedi Order, and then popped up and said, "You know, I think bringing the Sith back would be kewl"? WTF? Jacen and this guy both turned to Sith, completely breaking with all characterization up to this point, independently?

And I seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that the original intention for this character had anything to do with Legacy.

Tycho
08-10-2007, 08:01 PM
And I seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that the original intention for this character had anything to do with Legacy

With Legacy? It's likely that you are right. With regards to the two different choices these characters made since their introduction in the days after TPM through the Clone Wars - well that might have been planned.

And, what, this guy (I'm still not going to name him, since there may be some people who haven't read it yet and want to) hid out during the entire Purge, the entire Galactic Civil War, the entire New Republic era, the entire New Jedi Order, and then popped up and said, "You know, I think bringing the Sith back would be kewl"? WTF? Jacen and this guy both turned to Sith, completely breaking with all characterization up to this point, independently?

I agree with you as well? Surprised? But here's what I think. "Dark Times" should also focus a bit in on this character and show his development towards the allegiance he'll wind up having chosen. It doesn't have to be a major chonology, but a good story arc will do.

I also think a NJO era comic that goes into this can help with the issue.

El Chuxter
08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
I agree with you as well? Surprised? But here's what I think. "Dark Times" should also focus a bit in on this character and show his development towards the allegiance he'll wind up having chosen. It doesn't have to be a major chonology, but a good story arc will do.

I also think a NJO era comic that goes into this can help with the issue.

Yeah, but those stories don't exist yet. To come up with something just for shock value, though it doesn't fit with what we know about the character, and then go back and add details to force it to fit, well, that's not good storytelling. That's marketing taking over the job of the writers and forcing them to backtrack to make the snafu a little less obvious in retrospect if the stories are read in chronological order rather than order of release.

You're not familiar with a little story called "Emerald Twilight," perchance? Almost the same thing. DC had broken Batman's back and killed Superman; they needed to do something shocking with Green Lantern. They decided that, instead of killing him or maiming him or whatever, they'd have him go nuts and kill all the other Green Lanterns. Never mind that it was about as logical as Princess Leia deciding out of the blue that she wants to divorce Han and marry C-3PO. It didn't matter that the story that came afterward actually ended up being rather solid, and the replacement GL was an interesting character. No, DC had screwed up badly, and couldn't come up with a way to just undo it, so they fiddled around with trying to redeem Hal for almost a decade before finally just bringing everyone back from the dead in the hopes that people would care again.

Sad thing is, I think most people who still read SW comics don't expect a decent story, so they won't get annoyed and drop the book.

Rocketboy
08-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Wow. for hating Legacy so much you sure do follow it pretty darn closely.

darkagent
08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Wow, just read the latest Legacy comic and that ending surprised me. They turned one of my favorite EU characters into a bad guy. :( I thought for sure that he was going to be revealed as a Solo descendant. I guess his Sith name makes sense now.

darkagent
08-10-2007, 09:43 PM
(I'd say the Dark Swarm trilogy, but only because Luke finally finds out who his mother is.)

I haven't been keeping up with the novels, but what book are you referring to.

Tycho
08-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah, but those stories don't exist yet. To come up with something just for shock value, though it doesn't fit with what we know about the character, and then go back and add details to force it to fit, well, that's not good storytelling. That's marketing taking over the job of the writers and forcing them to backtrack to make the snafu a little less obvious in retrospect if the stories are read in chronological order rather than order of release.

I agree. However, it's not "out-of-the-blue" for said character. Because of his heritage, he always had potential to go this route, though quite the opposite was the characterization developed for him. Order 66 was traumatic for ALL the Jedi, obviously, so it's an interesting catalyst to use. However, your above analysis about now having them have to go back to patch this up applies.

You're not familiar with a little story called "Emerald Twilight," perchance?

No. Your DC references were interesting, but I only really read SW comics.

But I do WANT to expect a decent SW story - especially from John Ostrander.

figrin bran
08-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Emerald Twilight is a great way to put it Chux. and now they're trying out that Parallax possession storyline with Kyle Rayner. :rolleyes:

but back to Legacy, and I thought K'Kruhk surviving into that era was far fetched!

darkagent
08-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I thought K'Kruhk surviving into that era was far fetched!

I didn't think so. You never know how long some of these alien species will live for. Take Yoda for example.

Darth Krayt on the other hand, I find far fetched, since he's from some subset of the human species

Tycho
08-11-2007, 01:32 AM
No he's fully human actually. I'll explain it when El Chuxter thinks enough time has lapsed that spoilers can be addressed. The explanation will reveal too much of the spoiler at present.

I'll leave you with this one: Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father. Seriously!

El Chuxter
08-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Wow. for hating Legacy so much you sure do follow it pretty darn closely.

Actually, I just saw mention that this guy was an existing character, and looked it up. I've not cracked open an issue of this since #3. I'm about $33 richer for it.

jedi master sal
08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Okay so what is this new Darth's name then? And the guy who this is shouldn't have lived this long. Legacy is at least 150 AFTER the OT. No way even as a Jedi would he live that long. His mixed heritage wouldn't allow for him to live that long. Certainly not his human side. And the other side runs about the same life expectancy as our own. Even with the dark side, he still shouldn't have lived this long. granted the whole saga is far fetched, but a little more realism please.... I stopped a few issues ago and had menat to go back and get caught up. I'm not so sure now.

El Chuxter
08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
He's full human. I don't want to spoil with specifics, but it was revealed in an earlier comic that he's not mixed, as he'd believed.

preacher
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
The alias of Darth Krayt isn't so far fetched to me. I seem to remember he and another jedi were given an entire issue to discuss their differences during the Clone Wars. And at the end of the comic the two found they weren't so different. I think Krayt's true identity is believable given the similarity of those two.

Lets say Lucas had made Episode I, II, and III first. We would not have had the knowledge that Anakin had become Darth Vader. And if you think about it its as terrifying a transformation as "he-who-shall-not-be-named's" transformation into Darth Krayt. Well, his isn't very terrifying. It does seem out of character, but then again Krayt's character hasn't been explored much either if you think about it.

I quit collecting Legacy once Cade landed on Korriban and the Vong befriended him. I've been kind of flipping through the comic at Hastings just to see what's going on. This Darth Krayt business could be interesting and may prompt me to continue the collection. Plus that sith Twilek is back. She is uber cool.

JediTricks
09-05-2007, 11:15 PM
It's out of character and takes place a hundred sixty years in his future. Plus, it just reeks of "here's a guy that's popular, we want to use him too!"

jedibear
09-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Bringing back these characters from way beyond is a plot contrivance that has been stretched a bit far lately in the EU...it was done with Aurra Sing in one of the recent LOTF books and now with Darth Krayt in the comics...

I am hopeful that Ostrander & Duursema can pull off a convincing story as to the how and why this person ended up as Krayt. It has made me go back and re-read some of the early DH SW comics to look for clues...

The DH "Legacy" series has been slow-starting for me...more a blended mix of elements we've seen in SW before, both story-wise as well as visually. Familiarity can be good, but it can also breed contempt .... :) If it weren't for Duursemas' compelling art, I think I would have passed on this a while ago...the Cade Skywalker character is just NOT that interesting to me...but her little visual touches that pull you into the past, like the Vong-inspired touches to Coruscanti urban landscapes or the wry moment of two characters dining in a restaurant that was obviously once Amidala's senate apartment are fun and interesting and create great looking panels and compositions in the comic. Plus, she's still among the best for effectively drawing great action for SW...

I just fear that the whole of the EU is going to become as bogged down with recycled no-consequence storytelling like Star Trek books did...and I love SW too much to watch that happen....

We'll see...

Mando3lite
09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Well darth Krayt is, or WAS A'Sharad hett. you know the tusken jedi!
well whats even cooler is his name.
because tusken fear the "KRAYT" dragon and all, hahah

jedibear
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Up to part 5 of Legacy's "Claw of the Dragon" arc...

Great cover art...Cade's outfit is just so Darth Vader...
The story is chugging along...the flashbacks about A'Sharad Hett are interesting enough. For those who are reading the "Legacy of the Force" series, it looks like a bit of a tie-in with what they are doing with the Sith. That particular storyline isn't really doing it for me...I like the old-fashioned "only two" rule for the Sith better than this kind of "cult" thing going on here...
Art-wise, as usual Jan is knocking out some beautiful panels. One thing that has been rather interesting is seeing what the whole Vong thing looks like...watching Krayt's vong-inflicted illness progress has been cool...

I'm enjoying this series well enough, but I'm not anxious for the next installment like I was for the "Republic" series...

Tycho
11-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I agree with you that Republic was much better. But Legacy was the first book I read in the stack of 5 SW comics I picked up yesterday.

Dark Times was pretty cool actually. A flashback to Order 66 and K'Kruhk.

I haven't read 2 issues of KOTOR or the handbook, but glanced through the latter.

In the annals of SW comics,

Tales of the Jedi
Rogue Squadron
Crimson Empire
Republic (Clone Wars)

have been really good, not counting novel adaptations as they aren't original storyline work.

jedibear
11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I like "Dark Times" alot too...I actually look forward to that more than "Legacy" each month....it's just Duursemas' art in "Legacy", like her work in the "Republic" series, is just so good...

Speaking of K'Kruhk...wasn't that him in that temple wiith the other Jedi at the conclusion of the "Legacy" episode? Old boy sure gets around :)....

Not to get off topic, but I'd sure like a figure of that cool jedi...not just a Hasbro basic one, but a Sideshow one would be cool too...

Tycho
11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah, K'Kruhk is still alive in Legacy's time, which is about 130 years after ANH.

Just before TPM saw K'Kruhk as a padawan in Jedi Council: Acts of War. I don't know Whipid's aging cycles, but we could guess he was maybe close to 20 years old. Maybe.

Chewbacca was 200 in SW: ANH.

If Whipids are long-lived, then for sure K'Kruhk could be around in Legacy, where he might be about 212 years old.

There's no question then why Palpatine wanted aliens further segregated from the galaxy's metropolitan life. As he was re-writing history, short-lived humans might buy into it, but long-lived aliens would remember things differently.

BTW, LOWBACCA should still be alive in the Legacy comics era. Chewie's nephew would only be just over 100 unless he gets killed. But he'd remember Jacen Solo's turn to the Dark Side in the Legacy of the Force novels.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2007, 07:44 PM
There's no question then why Palpatine wanted aliens further segregated from the galaxy's metropolitan life. As he was re-writing history, short-lived humans might buy into it, but long-lived aliens would remember things differently.

BTW, LOWBACCA should still be alive in the Legacy comics era. Chewie's nephew would only be just over 100 unless he gets killed. But he'd remember Jacen Solo's turn to the Dark Side in the Legacy of the Force novels.Interesting view on his plans; never thought of it that way.

I'm not sure (and this could be a SPOILER in the Legacy novel series), but I believe that Lowie was killed in that time period.