PDA

View Full Version : Same ol figure, new card! I am not buying it!

wishiwas
06-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Your killing the Star Wars toys in my area (New Hampshire).
No one and I mean no one is buying these crap Heros and Villians sets.
The shelves are jammed with them, so no one is ordering new sets!
I know and I am going to miss the New Hope set because of this crap!
Cut us some slack here and buy them back. NO ONE WANTS THE SAME FIGURE ON A NEW PACKAGE!
Now you introduce set 2 of the heros set! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????
Enough with Episode 3. Move on.

COMMANDERCODY2795
06-24-2006, 03:12 PM
seriously, i stop ggoing to my toy's r us, all they have is crap. my target had no figures, but their special edition "action figut=re cases" whats the point of a action figure if u just are going to pt it on ur shelf? i hate toys r us, and hasbro sucks. either they rerelease some ep.2 clone, an at-te, and a republic h=gunship with the correct paintjob,im not gonna buy from theem.they suck!

hasbro has gone to the action figure dark side! those corprate fatcats! just saying: why give u new molds when we can make more money by rereleasing crap with new paint jobs! god!

Slicker
06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
*sigh* Here we go again.

I've said it before and it must bear constant repeating. (I shall use caps to get my point across)

BELIEVE IT OR NOT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT DON'T COLLECT THESE THINGS AS A HOBBY. THEY MAY NOT HAVE GOTTEN THESE FIGURES DURING THE INITIAL RELEASE SO THEREFORE THEY'RE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SEE ANAKIN OR VADER ON THE PEGS. THEY DON'T GIVE A CARP ABOUT THE CARD BUT THEY WANT THE FIGURE.

Collectors only make up a small portion of the Star Wars sales (you can argue that all you want but it's the truth) so it is a necessity to re-release figures from time to time and just to spice things up they may put it on a new card. So what? You don't have to buy it. No one is forcing you to. I understand that the figures are "choking" the pegs but they'll be gone if you are just patient. Just because you don't get a figure upon its initial release doesn't mean you won't find it. Hasbro does put older figures into new cases (i.e. people are finding Codys and Scorches again) just for this reason. Some people are so impatient that it makes me wonder why the hell they even bother with collecting. Those impatient ones should take up the hobby of calling the cable company because your connection went down for 5.67 seconds and you got booted from your chat room full of "hot babes".

COMMANDERCODY2795
06-24-2006, 04:00 PM
im fine with the NEW MOLDS LIKE CODY AND SVORCH, BUT WHY RELEASE THE CRAPPY THINGS LIKE THE EP.3 MACE, WICH DOSNT FEATURE PROPER ARTICULATION, OR THEY COULD RERELEASE THEM WIHT NEW CUP\LPTS, I NEED A BACARA TO FINISH MY CLONE TROOPER COLLECTION AND HES THE ONLY ON I DONT HAVE, BUT THE EP.3 AND SAGA ONE SUCKS, HIS KNEES DONT BEND, HE CANT HOLD HID BLASTER, AND THE "QUICK DRAW ATTACK" IS JUST TAKEN FROM THE CRAPPY #6 ROTS CLONE TROOPER WICH DONT MOCE RIGHT AND TO GET HIM TO STAND UP U HAVE TO MOVE HIS FEET INTO A WEIRD POSITION WICH MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE A IDIOT.:upset::whip: AND BY THE WAY, NONE OF THE GOOD FIGURES ARE EVER IN STOCK, IVE NEVER SEEN THE CODY, BACARA, OR UTAPAU TROOPER IN THE SHELVES.EVER.

wishiwas
06-24-2006, 05:06 PM
First off, I am with you COMMANDERCODY2795!
The problem is since the shelves are full of crap, they sometimes miss certain figures or series all together!
Take the OTC figures for example. Almost no one was able to get a snowtrooper and figures in that number series.
Hasbro takes us as suckers is the problem.
They figure no matter how many times they put the same crappy figure on a new card, collectors will buy it.
Not me man. I am done with variations etc.
Oh, then hand is open, this hand is closed. Ya, that was a production problem.
If you believe that one, I have a star ship to sell you.
Its all about money money money!
Hasbro simply are not listening to thier customers.
Target is so full of junk figures like Heros and Villians, they WILL NOT GET THE NEW HOPE SERIES!
Toys r us are so numb, they have cases of that stupid woman that wasnt even in episode 3. And they are taking up peg hook space of new figures!
No one wants the dumb titanium figures either. And dont get me started on the stupid *** motorcycles. Who was the genius that came up with that one!?
Sorry Slicker, you must have a connection to Hasbro, because most of us have spent too much money in gas just to find junk! :whip:

trandoshan666
06-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I believe the Heroes and Villains repacks are clearly aimed at collectors, not people who missed these figures last year. In my eyes, it's just another card variation not unlike the bulk of the OTC line, which I also refused to collect.

But unlike the OTC, these repacks are circulating in addition to the current Saga Collection, rather than as part of it. That means they are sort of competing for retailers' peg space, even though they're technically separate toy lines. In my experience, and apparently for others' too, the problem is being caused by stores heavily stocking the H&V, while not replenishing TSC figures.

I don't blame Hasbro at all for repacking figures from ROTS; it's a logical marketing strategy that I don't have to support. I am, however, bothered by how stores are handling this first H&V assortment. I hope they figure it out by the time the next wave of them is released, but I have my doubts.
That's just my take on what's causing the frustration.

Slicker
06-24-2006, 07:14 PM
The problem is since the shelves are full of crap, they sometimes miss certain figures or series all together!
Take the OTC figures for example. Almost no one was able to get a snowtrooper and figures in that number series. Yes that is a valid reason and I saw that in your initial post. I can sympathize a bit since I had the same troubles but I'm slowly working on it.

Hasbro takes us as suckers is the problem.
They figure no matter how many times they put the same crappy figure on a new card, collectors will buy it. You must not have read my last post. I stated that most of the buyers of these toys are not even collectors. I go to stores approximately 2 or so times a week and in all of the years and years I've gone I've seen a fellow collector maybe 4-5 times while I've seen kids with there parents buying these toys on too many occasions to count. The casual fan or the little kid that got enthralled by the Tantive IV being chased by the ISD are the real buyers of this product.

Not me man. I am done with variations etc.
Oh, then hand is open, this hand is closed. Ya, that was a production problem.
If you believe that one, I have a star ship to sell you. To me some of them are legit running changes. They realize after the initial production that some fans may be having trouble with a certain aspect and they have the time to do a quick fix so therefore they do it.

Its all about money money money! And what company isn't?

Hasbro simply are not listening to thier customers. I completely beg to differ. Hasbro is probably doing the most ever to make what collectors want but some people, as collectors, are never happy. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30997) They want everything SA and sometimes its not plausible.

Target is so full of junk figures like Heros and Villians, they WILL NOT GET THE NEW HOPE SERIES! Once again I totally understand what you're talking about but the Tatooine wave just started hitting in full force only a couple of weeks ago. You'll be able to find them for the next several months so have no worries.

Toys r us are so numb, they have cases of that stupid woman that wasnt even in episode 3. And they are taking up peg hook space of new figures! My TRU is the exact same. At one time, I counted, they had a total of 32 figures on the shelves and of those 32 exactly 32 of them were Mon Mothma. I just don't go to TRU anymore unless they have an exclusive.

No one wants the dumb titanium figures either. And dont get me started on the stupid *** motorcycles. Who was the genius that came up with that one!?I'll totally give you the Choppers. Those looked like pices of carp and sold horribly in my area but the Titanium figures on the other hand sold and still sell very well.

Sorry Slicker, you must have a connection to Hasbro, because most of us have spent too much money in gas just to find junk! :whip:Unfortunately I have no connection with Hasbro. I just tend to look deeper than my own vision of it. Many see collecting as just them but they fail to realize that they hit maybe 5 stores in there area while there are 1,000's of stores in the country that are selling. Hasbro is trying there very best to keep people happy but with such a diverse crowd you're bound to make some unhappy. That's just how it goes.

I'm not wanting to start an argument. If you read around the forums I don't take a stand for many things but all of the Hasbro bashing is one of my soft spots.

BTW, welcome to forums. Don't think that my last post was specifically targeting you because it wasn't. I'm just stating my thoughts and ideas on how I feel.

2-1B
06-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Repacks are awesome, every home should have them.

jjreason
06-24-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm quite certain that every home does by this point - they are too "EVERYWHERE" to be avoided.

If they're hanging around and not selling, Hasbro will get the idea. If you don't like repacks, don't be a hypocrite and buy them anyhow. Vote for what's acceptible by buying only the figures that suit you.

DarthBrandon
06-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Yes that is a valid reason and I saw that in your initial post. I can sympathize a bit since I had the same troubles but I'm slowly working on it.
You must not have read my last post. I stated that most of the buyers of these toys are not even collectors. I go to stores approximately 2 or so times a week and in all of the years and years I've gone I've seen a fellow collector maybe 4-5 times while I've seen kids with there parents buying these toys on too many occasions to count. The casual fan or the little kid that got enthralled by the Tantive IV being chased by the ISD are the real buyers of this product.
To me some of them are legit running changes. They realize after the initial production that some fans may be having trouble with a certain aspect and they have the time to do a quick fix so therefore they do it.
And what company isn't?
I completely beg to differ. Hasbro is probably doing the most ever to make what collectors want but some people, as collectors, are never happy. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30997) They want everything SA and sometimes its not plausible.
Once again I totally understand what you're talking about but the Tatooine wave just started hitting in full force only a couple of weeks ago. You'll be able to find them for the next several months so have no worries.
My TRU is the exact same. At one time, I counted, they had a total of 32 figures on the shelves and of those 32 exactly 32 of them were Mon Mothma. I just don't go to TRU anymore unless they have an exclusive.
I'll totally give you the Choppers. Those looked like pices of carp and sold horribly in my area but the Titanium figures on the other hand sold and still sell very well.
Unfortunately I have no connection with Hasbro. I just tend to look deeper than my own vision of it. Many see collecting as just them but they fail to realize that they hit maybe 5 stores in there area while there are 1,000's of stores in the country that are selling. Hasbro is trying there very best to keep people happy but with such a diverse crowd you're bound to make some unhappy. That's just how it goes.

I'm not wanting to start an argument. If you read around the forums I don't take a stand for many things but all of the Hasbro bashing is one of my soft spots.

BTW, welcome to forums. Don't think that my last post was specifically targeting you because it wasn't. I'm just stating my thoughts and ideas on how I feel.

Agree'd totally,

I would like to add that Hasbro is doing a fine job (can't believe I'm saying this, but it's true) listening to collectors/consumers. We've been getting quality figures (& hopefully new ships in 2007) as of late 2004 (Vintage style, decent sculpts on regular figures, & good paint apps for the most part) with some misses here & there. Hasbro churns out a large amount of figures in a year & it's only natural to have a couple of fillers in there to fill the gaps. Yes they do re-release many figures time & time again with little fixes here & there but that's like Slicker said, for the nubes that just started & also to try & make people happy who missed out the first time around. They sure can't please everyone & I'll be one of the first ones say something if Hasbro messes up on a figure that I thought should have been better. (i.e. Cody)
If they mess something IMHO, I just customize it the way I'd like it. As for figures sitting on the shelves, well they do clear out eventually, It just takes time. Where I'm at we only have TRU, the evil Wal-Mart (which usually is hit & miss & rarely has anything in stock) & zellers which is quite like Wal-Mart for the most part so don't feel bad, we got it just as bad down here.

El Chuxter
06-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Would you prefer that Hasbro keep releasing the same figures to keep main characters on the shelves for kids and casual/new collectors, or continually resculpt the same figure?

Remember how mad we all were at one time over the endless stream of new Tatooine Lukes? Would you prefer that?

Re-releasing the old stuff gives my wallet a break. :)

TheDarthVader
06-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I agree to an extent. I am not buying these repacks, but there are people out there who are going to buy those figures. When you look at the toy figure making companies, most of them eventually have repacks. It is just part of the toy business. And, besides just like El Chuxter stated, it saves me $$$.

basschick
06-28-2006, 03:15 AM
the thing that worries me is that if hasbro keeps releasing masses of totally unwantable figures, they may decide to stop making many SW figures thinking that no SW stuff sells any more.

remember midnight madness for ep1? could hasbro have really not realized that darth maul was going to be a popular figure? there were tons of palpatines on the pegs and the mauls were being thrown into the crowd by employees directly out of the boxes and were gone in seconds. imagine that - a cool alien-looking bad guy in black and red outsold an old guy. how could hasbro not figure this out????

btw, i see plenty of collectors and scalpers in the tru's and targets around here.

Kidhuman
06-28-2006, 03:46 AM
Repacks are cool to an extent. The H&V has sold well here in both WM's and Target.

While I bought a few of them(clones, Bacara, Vader(liked the card back)) others have bought them up as well. My son saved his money and bought a few to play with. It does keep the line going and was a huge break from buying 12 figures in a month

jedi master sal
06-28-2006, 11:41 AM
It does keep the line going and was a huge break from buying 12 figures in a month

I have to completely agree here. I wasn't compelled to buy all of the H&V figs.
It did save money to buy a lot of other stuff instead.

I only bought Obi, Bacara and ONE clone. They initially sold very well and now have slowed down, but there's still enough room at just about every store for a fresh case of figs and those have been the Tatooine wave. So I can't complain too much.

Jaff
06-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I must be nieve because in the eyes of most kids Star Wars is a dead issue unless they live with a collector parent, or personally love star wars. I think new collectors will want repacks, and old collectors may be drawn to certain repacks because they love a certain figure, or like the look of something. As for me I never bought but two repack figures since 1998 unless it is a figure that is an army builder.

Now that the films are over collectors WILL be the core audience of these figs no matter what anyone believes. That is exactly why Hasbro is doing their Q&A campaign. They know that we will define their numbers, not the kids or trendsetters. They never made an attempt to communicate with us while the films were alive and well because kids were the big focus. Now the films are over they will focus on us intensely because we are deffinately NOT a small portion of folks buying the figs. The kids are now gone and We ARE the main portion! Anyone saying otherwise is deluding themselves.

Hasbro is not stupid though. They want this line to last for them and for US. You just need to see their marketing and it will make sense. From Hasbro's point of view it is wise to release the H&V as pegwarmers since their Endor wave will not be released until July. This way they can have something on the shelves with a variety of main recognizable characters for kiddies who have a chance to make an impulse buy. A kid won't notice Hem, R5, Garindan or Hammerhead, but they will notice every H&V. So the equation is simple: It is more dangerous to have ANH wave as pegwarmers. It is less dangerous to have the H&V as pegwarmers. This way when the Endor and TPM waves come out there is room for them on the shelves. They will overship the H&V and undership ANH for this reason. The pattern has been going on for years, and it will continue to keep the line strong.

The only problem is that it is just annoying for completests to find everything at times.

COMMANDERCODY2795
06-28-2006, 11:42 PM
that is entirly true....but they should stop making the character that dont sell,then make tons of the charachters that do sell. ive had my eye on bacara, cody, the hunt for greivous battle pack, and some utapau clones, but the problem is that they are all sold out and the crappy figures like darth vader and the crap that is over stalked is all that is there and even if the stuff im looking for is there i couldnt find it anyway, there are to many crappy figures choking the shelves.

Banthaholic
07-02-2006, 11:49 PM
The way I see it is Core characters should be on sheles sometime during the year. I don't see Star Wars as dead to new recruits yet. For example I know people waiting for their kids to be old enough to start playing with SW. When they do, they;ll want the Core characters. Darth Vader should be there, but Hasbor has to be smarter than to double pack the same figure 5 assortments in a row. That is just asking for a peg-warmer. We do want Darth on the pegs, just not only Darth on the pegs, or suffer Masters of the Universes fate we will.