PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Tycho
05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Sith_Killer. It wasn't a joke. I think I'll rent them this week.

OR - FOR EVERYONE - most public libraries have movies on DVD for FREE checkout. If it's new and popular, they might not have enough copies and thus you need to be on a wait-list and they'll call you when it's your turn (1 month wait could be typical for new releases with short borrowing times and no renewals).

But for older movies like Field of Dreams and Once Upon A Time In America, the library likely has un-checked out multiple copies which you can borrow for FREE.

My library is down the street from me and I think I'll take a look. Besides that, I'm going to check out Civil War documentaries to get me back into the mood to work on my novel.

Ando
05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
A scientist horribly charred in a near-fatal accident is turned into a violence-prone cyborg by his employer and escapes to seek revenge on those responsible in the 1986 science fiction film The Vindicator. Although an obvious rip-off of Paul Verhoeven’s Robocop (1985), this film wasn’t all that bad, but it has none of the satiric charm of Verhoeven‘s classic. Pam Grier plays the martial arts master “Hunter,” who is hired by the company to recapture the cyborg.

RoboCop came out in 1987: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093870/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093870/)

Ji'dai
05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I remember the boys on Mystery Science Theater 3000 watching a couple of the Steve Reeves movies.... man those were bad! MST3K did rip on Steve Reeves' Hercules and the other awful Hercules pictures. The Italian sword-and-sandal films of the 1950s are significant because so many later writers and directors responsible for those great spaghetti westerns cut their teeth working on those early films.

My cousin recommended "Once Upon A Time In America," and "Field of Dreams." Anyone seen those? I've seen Field of Dreams several times. It's a fantastic baseball movie, one of the best. I've actually never seen Once Upon a Time in America since I'm not really into gangster films. It is the finale of director Sergio Leone's trilogy of films that began with Once Upon a Time in the West. I think the second film is called I'm Gonna Get You Sucka or the alternate title, A Fistful of Dynamite.

RoboCop came out in 1987: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093870/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093870/) Yep, that's right. I was close though. The Vindicator is still a rip-off of Robocop though it was released a year earlier.

---

A street-wise private dick (Richard Roundtree) is hired by a mob boss to find his kidnapped daughter in the enjoyable 1971 film Shaft. Isaac Hayes provides the film’s musical score, including the oft-parodied title song.

A half breed (Steve McQueen) learns how to shoot from a gun salesman (Brian Kieth) and seeks revenge on the men (Martin Landau, Arthur Kennedy, & Karl Malden) who brutally murdered his mother and father in Henry Hathaway’s 1968 western Nevada Smith. McQueen even gets himself arrested and sent to a state prison in a Louisiana swamp in order to kill one of the men who has since been incarcerated there. He escapes with the help of a female worker (Suzanne Pleschette) from a nearby rice paddy, and heads west to hunt the last of the three killers. McQueen's character is based on the character from Harold Robbins’ The Carpetbaggers.

pbarnard
05-26-2009, 04:32 PM
I took my inlaws to see the actual Field of Dreams, and there is talk of moving it so they can reclaim the farmland.

Watched Quantum of Solace and Kung-Fu Panda.

JimJamBonds
05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
MST3K did rip on Steve Reeves' Hercules and the other awful Hercules pictures. The Italian sword-and-sandal films of the 1950s are significant because so many later writers and directors responsible for those great spaghetti westerns cut their teeth working on those early films.

Really?!?!?! Interesting.

Ji'dai
05-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Really?!?!?! Interesting. :yes: For more information on Italian westerns, check out Once Upon a Time in the Italian West: The Filmgoers' Guide to Spaghetti Westerns by Howard Hughes. My library actually had a copy of it.

---

Interviews with film critics, actors, and directors John Carpenter and Roger Corman punctuate the analysis of movies made in the 1950s in the documentary Hidden Values: Movies of the 50’s. Films featuring teenage rebellion, nuclear annihilation, the Red scare, and gender roles from the decade are profiled.

A commando assigned to a military unit charged with neutralizing rogue cyborgs in 2080 Japan tries to save his female android lover by transferring her memory to a human female, but soon discovers that a military cyborg nearing expiration has the same intention in the excellent 2003 science fiction film Natural City. This Japanese film is very similar in premise to Blade Runner and boasts some top-notch special effects. If you enjoyed that 1981 classic, then this film is definitely worth a look.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Today I watched The Brothers Solomon. It was pretty hated by critics but I thought it was pretty damn funny. It's not a groundbreaking film or anything (not that I was expecting that) but it's good entertainment for 90 minutes. It reminded me of The Jerk and Dumb and Dumber, both of which I love.

TeeEye7
05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Besides that, I'm going to check out Civil War documentaries to get me back into the mood to work on my novel.

Two words: Ken Burns.

Ji'dai
05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
A doctor and his sister conspire to free the woman’s jailed fiancee (Vincent Price) by smuggling in a serum that will render him transparent in the 1940 horror mystery The Invisible Man Returns. Once invisible, Price handily escapes and is soon searching for the man (Cedric Hardwicke) who framed him for murder. The interesting thing about his movie is that Vincent Price isn’t actually seen until his invisibility is reversed in the end.

Grave robbers awaken the Wolfman (Lon Chaney, Jr.), who seeks to find a cure for his curse by locating Doctor Frankenstein, but instead finds only his monster (Bela Lugosi) in the 1943 horror movie Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. Ilona Massey plays Frankenstein’s lovely daughter.

Tycho
05-30-2009, 02:52 AM
I watched Field of Dreams and I am so glad I saw this picture!

I cried. I actually cried. The film really triggers deep emotions and it ends leaving you feeling incredibly good and optimistic.

I don't know what it all means, but this picture definitely leaves you thinking a lot about it - and our fathers as well.

I recommend everyone sees Field of Dreams.

Ji'dai
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
In the aftermath of World War III, a prisoner is used in an experiment to travel into the past and future in the 1962 French short film La Jetee. As a young boy, the prisoner was at an airport shortly before the outbreak of the war and saw a man shot dead on the promenade - who he later learns was his future self, having traveled back in time. This film is told with still photographs and narration and was the basis for Terry Gilliam’s 1995 film Twelve Monkeys, which starred Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe, and Brad Pitt.

The daughter of a dying classical pianist uses a satanic ritual to transfer her father’s soul to a younger man (Alan Alda) so they may continue their incestuous relationship in the 1971 horror film The Mephisto Waltz. Alda’s wife (Jacqueline Bisset) suspects her husband is not the same man and surprisingly offers herself to the devil so she can transfer her soul into the body of the daughter.

A doctor (Kevin McCarthy) in a small California city discovers that seed pods from outer space grow into identical, emotionless duplicates of the local townspeople while they slumber in the classic 1956 science fiction movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

pbarnard
05-30-2009, 07:13 PM
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Nothing wrong with the acting, etc. But it does nothing to change my mind that all stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald are BORING

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Reactivated my netflix!!

Step Brothers- really horrible flick; it's really stupid and the film is pretty repetitive. I did laugh a few times, but overall, i'd avoid it. * out of ****

Star Trek: The Motion Picture- it's really long winded, kind of boring, and uninteresting. I'd give it ** out of ****

ST 2: Wrath of Kahn- Such a huge improvement over the first flick! Fun, exciting, great plot, and some great performances. My only gripe is that some of the SFX is still iffy and there are some developments that don't really do much (Kirk's son, anybody?) still, I'd give it ***1/2 out of ****

:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
05-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Step Brothers- really horrible flick; it's really stupid and the film is pretty repetitive. I did laugh a few times, but overall, i'd avoid it. * out of ****Yer nuts! I never get tired of watching Step Brothers. Just as good (and quotable) as Anchorman!

JimJamBonds
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I fired up A Mighty Wind in honor of the fact that tonight I'm going to see Michael McKean, Harry Schearer and Christopher Guest 'unplugged and unhaired.' They will be doing accoustic songs from both Spinal Tap and The Folksmen.

JetsAndHeels
05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Saw Terminator Salvation again this afternoon. I enjoyed it more this time around...some things made more sense.

sith_killer_99
05-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I watched Fanboys and X-Men Origins: Wolverine today. Both great movies in their own right.

Fanboys had me rolling.

Wolverine was actually better than I had thought it would be. I expected it to be good, but I really LOVED this film. Maybe it was the whole brothers story line that nailed it for me. I guess I just sort of connected with it in ways I didn't expect.:thumbsup:

Ji'dai
06-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Earth’s first android astronaut “Frank” is shot down by a Martian spacecraft but survives to prevent the invaders’ insidious plot of acquiring human females for breeding in the awful 1965 sci-fi film Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster. Fleeing their planet in the wake of a nuclear war, last Martian survivors Princess Marzucan and Doctor Nadir land on Puerto Rico and send their spacemen out to capture nubile young women in order to repopulate their species. Fortunately for Earth, astronaut Frank survived his crash, frees the female captives, battles a hideous Martian monster, and destroys the alien spacecraft. A young James Karen (Frank in 1985’s The Return of the Living Dead) plays the scientist who created the robot astronaut.

A pilot ferrying a boozing actress and her sexy assistant is forced to land on an island where they discover a scientist growing carnivorous marine organisms in the bad 1964 horror movie The Flesh Eaters. In a bid to kill the little ocean-bound omnivores, the heroes use electricity to fry them, which causes the tiny terrors to coalesce into a larger monster that can only be killed by pumping human blood directly into the nucleus. Preposterous? You bet!

UKWildcat
06-03-2009, 01:51 AM
A young James Karen (Frank in 1985’s The Return of the Living Dead) plays the scientist who created the robot astronaut

One of the greatest horror movies, and characters, ever! :thumbsup:

pbarnard
06-03-2009, 11:14 AM
He's Just Not That Into You. Started off ok, just went downhill from that. Should've know. Big cast, multiple plots with contrived interactions between them all. Usually not a good formula

El Chuxter
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Big cast, multiple plots with contrived interactions between them all. Usually not a good formula
It did work amazingly well in Love Actually, though.

pbarnard
06-03-2009, 02:33 PM
It did work amazingly well in Love Actually, though.

That's one of two it does. The other is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World.
2 movies in about 50 years where it works.

I almost wanted to put it was trying to hard to be the non-Holiday Love Actually, but that would be insulting to that flick. It was just funny and happened to have a Holiday setting.

Ji'dai
06-03-2009, 05:09 PM
One of the greatest horror movies, and characters, ever! :thumbsup: Watch your tongue boy if you like this job!

---

Strappin‘ hillbilly Li’l Abner keeps marriage-minded Daisy Mae at bay and saves his hometown of Dogpatch, USA, after Congress decides to relocate the rural yokels and use the countryside for a-TOM bomb testing in this funny musical from 1959. The movie was adapted from the Broadway show, which in turn was based on the long-running comic strip by cartoonist Al Capp.

An adopted boy is obsessed with the dead tree in his parent’s backyard, which mysteriously blooms when he goes missing in the cryptic 2003 Korean horror film Acacia. After he disappears, tragedy soon befalls the boy’s adopted family, as one by one each suffers a horrible fate. The film makes absolutely no sense until the final scene explains everything, a tiresome technique that apparently is used in many Asian horror films.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2009, 12:42 AM
In the last few days, I've seen No Country for Old Men and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the latter of which I had only ever seen in Spanish. I thought both were really good. The cinematography and visuals in No Country were insanely beautiful, and I had a sense of dread for much of the film (in a good way). Similarly, I thought the live-action and animated elements of Roger Rabbit worked together in a really cool way. I think the only other movie I've seen like that is Space Jam, but I haven't seen that in years and I'm not sure it would hold up.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Yer nuts! I never get tired of watching Step Brothers. Just as good (and quotable) as Anchorman!

I just couldn't get into it. Some of the parts were funny, but as a film, it quickly wore thin for me.

a few more movies:

"Star Trek III: the Search for Spock"- I really liked this one as it's a great transition from the revenge filled plot of II to an interesting sacrifice and loyalty themed third film. It's a nice complimentary piece to "Wrath of Kahn" and it has some decent action and fighting to go along with it. ***1/2 out of ****

"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"- The flick is a bit preachy, but the fish out of water element of taking the crew of the USS Enterprise and dropping them in 1986 is pretty funny. Don't get me wrong though: this film is not the typical Star Trek fare and I can see why hardcore Trekkers would dislike it. Still, it is great to see the characters doing different things, including "searching for nuclear wessels!" hehehehe *** out of ****

Ji'dai
06-05-2009, 01:04 PM
"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"- The flick is a bit preachy, but the fish out of water element of taking the crew of the USS Enterprise and dropping them in 1986 is pretty funny. Don't get me wrong though: this film is not the typical Star Trek fare and I can see why hardcore Trekkers would dislike it. Still, it is great to see the characters doing different things, including "searching for nuclear wessels!" hehehehe *** out of **** The Voyage Home was the first Star Trek movie I went to see at the theater. I enjoyed it so much I went back and really watched the previous three films for the first time. Up to that point, I'd only seen bits and pieces of the first one and most of 2 and 3. The ironic thing was the success of Voyage Home made TNG possible, but I couldn't accept this new crew after finally becoming comfortable with the original cast. So I didn't start watching TNG until the fourth season.

---

The history of the American west is told in the epic story of three generations of a pioneer family in the enjoyable 1962 western How the West Was Won. This three-hour film explores the migration to the Ohio valley after the Revolution, the Civil War, westward expansion to California during the gold rush, the building of the transcontinental railroad, and the rise of the outlaw. Features so many well-known actors that it’d probably be easier to just to name those not in it. The movie also has three different directors, including John Ford. It was shot in widescreen “Cinerama” format and was intended to be shown on a curved theater screen, so many scenes have a strange rounded appearance to them on a flat TV screen.

The parents of a teenager who is undergoing some type of metamorphosis return to the small southern town where the mother was attacked and raped by something in the woods during the couple’s honeymoon in the terrible 1982 horror movie The Beast Within. The kid goes into violent fits and kills the relatives of the man who kept his biological father chained in his root cellar. Eventually he turns into a giant cicada and escapes into the swamps, where he rapes and impregnates a local girl, thus continuing the cycle. Ronny Cox plays the teen’s non-biological father.

pbarnard
06-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Slumdog Millionaire.

I like the visuals. The Bollywood style dancing at the end just seemed so out of place with the rest of the film.

TeeEye7
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Disorder in the Court. A Three Stooges classic. I couldn't resist another peek.

I teach in the Academy tomorrow and I show it to my kiddies during my court room testimony segment. Breaks up the monotony of everything they're force-fed.

Qui-Long Gone
06-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Slumdog Millionaire.

I like the visuals. The Bollywood style dancing at the end just seemed so out of place with the rest of the film.

We watched that this weekend...I thought it was a good film, but not an Academy award winning best picture.

Ji'dai
06-07-2009, 08:24 PM
A ventriloquist (Anthony Hopkins) on the verge of stardom panics and retreats to the small rural town where he grew up, meets the woman (Ann-Margaret) he secretly loved in high school, and begins a killing spree on the urging of his dummy in Richard Attenborough’s boring 1978 horror film Magic. Burgess Meredith gives a convincing performance as Hopkin’s high-rolling agent.

The history of Walt Disney‘s live-action films are explored in the interesting 2008 documentary The Age of Believing: The Disney Live Action Classics. Features just about every major live-action film Disney produced from the early WWII propaganda shorts to Tron. The documentary is narrated by Angela Lansbury (Bed knobs & Broomsticks) and includes interviews with Disney alums Kurt Russell, Dick Van Dyke (Mary Poppins), Dean Jones (That Darn Cat & The Love Bug), and many other former child stars.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-08-2009, 11:36 AM
The Voyage Home was the first Star Trek movie I went to see at the theater. I enjoyed it so much I went back and really watched the previous three films for the first time. Up to that point, I'd only seen bits and pieces of the first one and most of 2 and 3. The ironic thing was the success of Voyage Home made TNG possible, but I couldn't accept this new crew after finally becoming comfortable with the original cast. So I didn't start watching TNG until the fourth season.

I had seen only "Wrath of Kahn" up till my current ST marathon. I thought this film had some good moments, but it was just really out there with the whale subplot. It still was fun to see the flick for the fish out of water elements. I plan to one day maybe (MAYBE) netflix the original ST series, then TNG. I'm still iffy on everything AFTER TNG as there just might be TOO much to chew on with this franchise.

More movies!!

"Let the Right One In"- This is a really fantastic film not just about vampires, but also about adolescence, maturity, and (dare I say it?) love. Both of the young leads are really solid and while it's not really scary, it's really intense and suspenseful at times. It has a few problems with plot points that don't go anywhere and some iffy CGI in one scene, but overall, it's a really awesome film. Definitely recommend it! ***1/2 out of ****

"Up"- Another superb film from Pixar. Asner is PERFECT for the role of Carl, a reclusive and slightly grumpy old man that goes on an unexpected trip to South America with Russell, a young Wilderness Explorer. The animation is top notch and I loved the positive message about life, friends, and the necessity for living. Terrific film! **** out of ****

pbarnard
06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I made the mistake of watching Speed Racer on HBO. Gene pool removal is necistated of anyone involved in this EPIC failure. I'm thinking of shock therapy to remove the memories.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I made the mistake of watching Speed Racer on HBO. Gene pool removal is necistated of anyone involved in this EPIC failure. I'm thinking of shock therapy to remove the memories.

lol I thought it had some high points, but my main gripe (if i remember correctly) was how it dragged on AND ON AND ON AND ON.

pbarnard
06-08-2009, 05:45 PM
lol I thought it had some high points, but my main gripe (if i remember correctly) was how it dragged on AND ON AND ON AND ON.

Were you high? :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
06-09-2009, 09:46 AM
A gang of small-time street hustlers decide to go for a bigger score by knocking over a small-town bank, but they quickly discover that the police surrounding them are the least of their worries as the town is overrun with blood-sucking ghouls in the average 2007 horror film Dead Heist. Stars Big Daddy Kane, E-40, and rapper Bonecrusher as himself.

Mickey Spillane’s tough-as-nails private investigator Mike Hammer takes a special interest in the murder of a young woman he befriended and is soon embroiled in a mystery involving stolen Nazi diamonds, a gang of French thugs, and various femme fatales in the entertaining 1957 crime drama My Gun is Quick.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2009, 08:47 AM
More Star Trek reviews!

V: The Final Frontier- This film had an interesting premise, but the deeper ideas of faith and religion just aren't explored. There is also an odd dose of juvenile humor and an implication that Scotty and Uhura are lovers that is really weird. The ending is also really odd; had things delved a bit deeper into a religious discussion, I could've liked it, but sadly, the whole film falls flat. Rating- ** out of ****

VI: The Undiscovered Country- The final voyage of the original Enterprise crew is fun, exciting, and ends their chapters on a creative high note. I liked the film's action and humor, but I really enjoyed the racial and prejudice overtones of the plot. It does have a few problems, mainly during the prison scenes and an unnecessary character, but these issues are really easy to overlook. A really great way to end the adventures of the original crew. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

Ji'dai
06-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Near the end of the Second World War, a young Lithuanian boy witnesses the death of both parents and sees his beloved baby sister killed and eaten by a gang of starving partisans who have taken refuge in his family’s cottage in the excellent 2007 horror film Hannibal Rising. As a teen, he escapes Soviet-controlled eastern Europe and makes his way to the French chateau of his uncle’s young Japanese widow, where he is given refuge. Young Hannibal Lecter attends medical school in Paris, but is constantly tormented by nightmares of his sister’s death by cannibalism during the war. He finally resolves to hunt down the men responsible for her death, beginning his downward spiral into cannibalistic serial killing.

The history of “black exploitation” (blaxploitation) movies is discussed and featured in the documentary Baadasssss Cinema. Includes interviews with directors Melvin Van Peebles and Quentin Tarantino and actors Pam Grier, Jim Brown, and Samuel L. Jackson, among others. The genre began with Melvin Van Peebles’ independent avant garde film Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song, which was as much social commentary as it was entertainment. The financial success of Peebles’ film encouraged the financially-depressed Hollywood studios to produce their own “black” films to “exploit” the money in this untapped audience market. The genre took off commercially with the 1971 Hollywood production Shaft, starring Richard Roundtree and featuring a soundtrack score by Isaac Hayes. Success brought controversy though, as many black leaders at the time (notably Jesse Jackson) protested the black stereotypes created and perpetuated in the popular films. Blaxploitation cinema died off in the mid-1970s as studios realized that their mainstream films were bringing in a large percentage of black box office dollars, so films made solely to tap that particular market were no longer considered necessary.

sith_killer_99
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Last night I watched "My Bloody Valentine 3D" (not in 3D though) the remake with Dean Winchester from Supernatural. I was actually kinda surprised by the ending (who the killer was)...not the VERY end ending (will he get away), I saw that one coming a mile away.:D

Ji'dai
06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
A young couple moves into a rural farm house supposedly haunted by the ghost of a witch in the enjoyable 2008 horror film Conjurer. Features John Schneider (Bo Duke on TV’s The Dukes of Hazzard) as the brother-in-law who helps the couple finance the house.

Members of an exploratory oil drilling crew in the remote Alaskan wilderness experience unusually warm weather and begin seeing apparitions of extinct animals before descending into suicidal madness in the banal 2006 horror film The Last Winter. Ron Perlman (Hellboy) stars as the crew’s chief.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Finally got around to seeing NatM:BotS. The Vader (and Oscar TG) scene wasn't as long as some of the trailers/commericals made it out to be. Pretty funny, a nice break from reality. So, when will...

Night at the Museum: Rendezvous at the Louvre
Night at the Museum: Love at the Academia
Night at the Museum: Wedding at the Vatican Archives
Night at the Museum: Clocking Out at the Dali Museum
Night at the Museum: Hola from El Prado
Night at the Museum: Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota

...be out? :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I just watched Fistful of Dollars, with or without the "A" at the beginning, I suppose. It was pretty good, but it dragged on quite a lot (perhaps something to do with my being really tired) and I often was unsure of what exactly was going on. Still, Clint Eastwood was a badass here, and it was cool to see the inspiration behind Boba Fett.

Ji'dai
06-14-2009, 10:59 AM
A wife (Kristy Swanson) conspires with her lawyer to poison her sadistic husband, but the man awakens and takes his revenge against them in the awful 2006 horror film Living Death. Swanson, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer, still looks edible although she has gained a little weight.

An intrepid adventurer (Angelina Jolie) searches for a lost relic that controls time in the hollow 2001 action adventure video game adaptation Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Jolie’s real-life father Jon Voight plays Lara Croft’s dad.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Can't believe I forgot to mention that Amy Adams in aviator pants was another plus to Night at the Museum:BOTS. :rrrrwl: :pleased:

Slicker
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I recently watched:

Valkyrie
The Dark Knight
Superbad
Zack and Miri Make a Porno

pbarnard
06-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Watched Dark Knight last night on HBO.

Slicker
06-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I unfortunately just watched Spider-Man 3. It was the only movie that was on so I basically had no choice. It was either that or lame arse inspirational Navy videos.

Rocketboy
06-14-2009, 11:13 PM
I recently watched:

Valkyrie
The Dark Knight
Superbad
Zack and Miri Make a Porno
That's a nice lineup there.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-15-2009, 12:56 AM
More STAR TREK reviews!

Generations- The film suffers from a jumbled plot, too many characters with little to no identification or way of caring about them, and by the time it gets clearer at the end, I really didn't care. I did like the cameos from original ST folks though, but this reminded me of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE as it was too plot heavy with nobody to really identify with. Rating- ** out of ****

First Contact- MUCH better than its predecessor; the plot is constructed much better and the characters get more defined, clearer roles. I enjoyed Picard's descent into revenge (which reminded me of KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!) and the subplot with Zefram was highly enjoyable. Solid performances all around too. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

Insurrection- Not as good as FIRST CONTACT, but it's great to see Riker, Data, and Worf get some more screentime and action. The plot is a bit iffy as I could see both points of view and I almost had a Spock-esque logical internal discussion about the needs of the few versus the needs of the many. The romantic subplot with Picard is a bit sketchy, but overall, the film is pretty solid. Rating- *** out of ****

Only two more left! Yay! :)

Ji'dai
06-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Insurrection- Not as good as FIRST CONTACT, but it's great to see Riker, Data, and Worf get some more screentime and action. The plot is a bit iffy as I could see both points of view and I almost had a Spock-esque logical internal discussion about the needs of the few versus the needs of the many. The romantic subplot with Picard is a bit sketchy, but overall, the film is pretty solid. Rating- *** out of **** I still haven't seen this one myself. Just the beginning I think, and the part where Troi and Crusher talk about their breasts firming up as they get younger.

---

Two rival clans of werewolves fight over a young half-breed boy who may be the key to curing the curse of their affliction in the watchable 2007 horror movie Skinwalkers. Rhona Mitra plays the boy’s human mother.

In 1863 Alabama, a gang that robbed a bank hides out in a rambling, abandoned farmhouse that harbors more than just the ghosts of its previous occupants in the engaging 2004 horror movie Dead Birds.

Ji'dai
06-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Two outlaws on the run return to the small town where they stashed their stolen loot and find it all but deserted until they meet a young woman who has escaped from a local serial killer in the bad 2008 horror movie Hide.

A man moves his wife and infant son into an old house that may or may not be haunted by the ghost of a young child in the boring 2007 horror film The Cradle.

Blue2th
06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
The International
Very timely flick. Makes you wonder what the Banking Clan has been really up to all these years, and what they really care about, and how useless it is to fight something so pervasive and how deeply entrenched this evil really goes.

Gran Torino
I loved this movie. Once again Clint hits it out of the ballpark. Very sad, but very uplifting at the same time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Today I saw Taken. I thought the action was pretty awesome (very Bourne-like), but the rest of the film was somewhere between "meh" and "just plain crappy". Liam Neeson was quite cool here, but one thing that stood out as annoying was how short most of the shots were, particularly near the beginning. I read they're doing a sequel but I don't know how in the hell that will happen.

I also saw For a Few Dollars More. Wow! This was a lot better than Fistful of Dollars, and actually pretty great. Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef were awesome, and the story was good as well. Hopefully I'll like the third one as well.

Rocketboy
06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
After reading the short story I watched The Shawshank Redemption. Haven't seen it in at least 10 years (probably more) so it was like seeing again for the first time.
The flick stayed very true to the original story

Watched Gran Torino last night. Excellent flick (despite the similarities to a recent Pixar flick :) ). Even though Eastwood is damn near 90 I would not f*ck with that man.

Watched Defiance recently. A solid WWII flick. I love the ones that show us an aspect of the war we've never seen.

Also recently saw Hitman the other night. Add an "S" to the front of the title.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I also saw For a Few Dollars More. Wow! This was a lot better than Fistful of Dollars, and actually pretty great.It better be. I mean, it had more dollars. :rolleyes:

A friend and I caught Land of the Lost, and it wasn't as bad as some revies made it out to be. Until about 10 minutes before the previews woudl begin, we were the only two people there, but there ended up with maybe 30 others or so. If you expect Citizen Kane, clearly it's not that, not even Airplane!. It made me laugh several times. A good take-two-hours-of-your-dreary-life-and-smile-and-laugh-some flick.

DarthQuack
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Started watching and enjoying my Real Ghostbusters Complete Series set. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Started watching and enjoying my Real Ghostbusters Complete Series set. :thumbsup:

Nice. I hope to own these one day!

Watched STAR TREK: NEMESIS a few days ago!

My review: I wanted to like this film, but it just doesn't have any character development/interaction to make us care about what's going on. As a result, it becomes choppy as it jumps from action scene to action scene. Also, the villian is a bit iffy at times and I find him to be really whiny instead of menacing. It is predictable, which is good and bad as you expect the crew to save the day by the end of the film (they do) and there is a character death that is interesting, but overall, it's just not a good flick. ** out of ****

sith_killer_99
06-20-2009, 07:43 PM
That guy that plays Sam Winchester in Supernatural goes looking for his sister who has been kidnapped by a large maniac killer in the reboot Friday the 13th!

Ji'dai
06-20-2009, 11:57 PM
A young boy witnesses the arrival of a flying saucer and discovers to his horror that his parents and others in his town have been taken over by the aliens in the classic 1953 science fiction film Invaders from Mars. The “Martians (http://s00.middlebury.edu/AC103A/images/invaders2.gif)” are just heads with tentacle arms encased in clear balls and carried around by their giant mu-TANT slaves.

After being hypnotized at a party, a man (Kevin Bacon) begins seeing the specter of a missing neighborhood girl in the decent 1999 ghost story Stir of Echoes. The film is based on the book by Richard Matheson.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Had to check every local (and somewhat out of the local area) theater to find Angels & Demons. This was pretty good. I was squirming during the dropped-in-the-fountain scene hoping they'd get out of it alive; that's good filmmaking (especially since I'd read the book and knew how things turned out (although some situations were changed from the book version).

TeeEye7
06-21-2009, 03:06 PM
A young boy witnesses the arrival of a flying saucer and discovers to his horror that his parents and others in his town have been taken over by the aliens in the classic 1953 science fiction film Invaders from Mars. The “Martians (http://s00.middlebury.edu/AC103A/images/invaders2.gif)” are just heads with tentacle arms encased in clear balls and carried around by their giant mu-TANT slaves.

That movie used to scare the poop out of me when I was little.....even though you could see the zippers going up the backs of the mutant's costumes!

I also think this movie inspired the character Krang for TMNT.

pbarnard
06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Marley & Me. It makes me wonder if the couple in real life sold the rights to the movie because they were part of the newspaper buy out/lay off movement?

Ando
06-22-2009, 10:57 AM
- Ghost Adventures.

- Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Ji'dai
06-22-2009, 12:11 PM
That movie used to scare the poop out of me when I was little.....even though you could see the zippers going up the backs of the mutant's costumes!

I also think this movie inspired the character Krang for TMNT. Oh yeah, I can see the resemblance to Krang!

---

A group of people barricade themselves in an abandoned farmhouse after the dead rise to feed on the living in Tom Savini’s 1990 remake of the George Romero horror classic Night of the Living Dead.

A crazed rustic yokel captures a couple on vacation and a visiting paleontologist and imprisons them in his cave with the intention of feeding them to his pet monster in the horrendous 1969 horror movie It’s Alive! I DVR’d this turkey because the satellite guide mistakenly described it as the 1974 horror film with the same title, which is about a newborn who trashes the delivery room and takes down a milk truck - among other horrific things :yes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
- Ghost Adventures.

- Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Ghost Adventures?!?! But why would you do that to yourself?!??? So awful! hhehe :whip:

Oh yeah, I can see the resemblance to Krang!

---

A group of people barricade themselves in an abandoned farmhouse after the dead rise to feed on the living in Tom Savini’s 1990 remake of the George Romero horror classic Night of the Living Dead.

I have a slight softspot for Savini's remake. The gore/zombie effects were good and I have to say it was pretty ballsy to change the ending around like he did.

I watched:

"The Call of Cthulhu"- Really fantastic adaptation of Lovecraft's much beloved work. The B/W, silent film style presentation really suits the material very well and while some things are changed or left out, it doesn't hurt things too badly. I really liked how Cthulhu was done with the stop motion animation and 98% of his shots are really cool. They are a nice throwback to films such as KING KONG as they had a minimal way of doing things, but gave great results. In fact, the way the film builds suspense and tension is really well done and it's great to see a film build things up over time rather than what we see today with poorly written films that can't build tension and go for cheap thrills. If you're a fan of Lovecraft, you really need to check out this flick. Rating- *** out of ****

Ando
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Ghost Adventures?!?! But why would you do that to yourself?!??? So awful! hhehe

My wife hates that show, too but I like it. I know they're just 3 idiots with night vision cameras and it'd be nice if they'd shut up and not curse so much (the beeping really detracts from the investigation and findings) but I like it.

Ji'dai
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a slight softspot for Savini's remake. The gore/zombie effects were good and I have to say it was pretty ballsy to change the ending around like he did. I thought Savini's version eviscerated much of the social commentary in Romero's original. Barbara turning into Rambo at the end? C'mon!

---

After being paralyzed in an accident, a young athlete forms a psychic bond with his helper monkey, which quickly learns to kill those that make his new master angry in George Romero’s 1988 horror movie Monkey Shines. Janine Turner (from TV’s Northern Exposure) plays the man’s shallow girlfriend who dumps him for his doctor after he becomes paralyzed.

A rural pioneer family is tormented by a poltergeist centering around a young teenage girl and her father (Donald Sutherland) in the engaging 2005 horror movie An American Haunting. Sissy Spacek plays the family’s matriarch.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I thought Savini's version eviscerated much of the social commentary in Romero's original. Barbara turning into Rambo at the end? C'mon!

lol Oh, I didn't say I agreed with it, but it was an interesting idea, especially when you look at how Barbara's gender role functioned in the original movie (crying, helpless, eventually gets killed).

Two more blurbs:

"Slumdog Millionaire"- Very good film about the importance of dedication, love, and loyalty. The performances are pretty solid, especially from the younger actors and the cinematography is really great. The music is also top notch and incredibly addictive. Still, it does have a few flaws as the two romantic leads have very little chemistry and we don't get too much reason as to why they should be together aside from the fact that he's chasing after her. Also, the third act is all over the place with silly plot devices and things of that nature. Still, this is a really good flick. Rating- *** out of ****

"Suicide Club"- Interesting film that never really goes anywhere. There are themes and ideas all over the place here but it's far too cryptic for its own good. Had things been a little bit more developed or hinted at, it could've been far more rewarding, but as it stands, it spends too much time trying to give the audience a message and too little of a time actually telling us what that message really is. Rating- ** out of ****

Ji'dai
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
The pilot co-owner (Arnold Schwarzenegger) of an extreme sports company is hunted by a squad of hit men after a powerful corporation clones him in the rather hollow 2000 science fiction dud The 6th Day.

A psychology grad student is hunted by the nocturnal creatures that gave her night terrors as a young child in the watchable 2002 horror movie Wes Craven Presents: They. Marc Blucas (Riley on TV’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer) plays the woman’s disbelieving boyfriend.

Kidhuman
06-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Gran Tarino - What a great freakin Movie. I loved it. Clint is just flat out awesome.

The International - Decent Espionage movie. I liked it. Clive Owen is good as usual.

Rocketboy
06-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Finally got a chance to see:

The Spirit - It was as bad as they said, but at least I only paid a buck.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Overrated but worth a watch. Far too long - it needed to be trimmed by at least 30 minutes.

Ji'dai
06-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Gave up on these two turkeys after 30 minutes of sheer torture: In the first, the ghost of a prospector hunts a group of modern day gold hunters after his mother lode in the god-awful 2003 slasher flick Miner’s Massacre; and in the second: After the death of her former school chum, a woman visits the deceased’s odd writer brother at his massive mansion in the plodding 2008 film House of Usher. I’m sure goth or emo teenaged girls would probably love this atmospheric film, which is based on the Poe story, The Fall of the House of Usher.

JimJamBonds
06-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I watched Get Smart the other day, I thought it was pretty good. I was concerned there would be be too many "Michael Scorn" type parts, I don't care for The Office when Michael is over the top ie. the Phyllis's Wedding episode. But for GS I thought they kept that in check.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Recently I finished Planet Terror, which I enjoyed quite a lot. I wish I could have seen this and Death Proof together in the theater, but alas, I did not. It was just good, self-aware, goofy fun.

On the other hand, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End tried to jam way too many plotlines into a too-long movie with characters about whom I had a hard time caring. I loved the first one and hated the second one, and hadn't seen either of them in three years, I guess, so I was quite lost in this complicated-for-complicatedness' sake movie. Overall, I liked it better than the second one, but not as much as the first, and I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Ji'dai
06-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Recently I finished Planet Terror, which I enjoyed quite a lot. I wish I could have seen this and Death Proof together in the theater, but alas, I did not. It was just good, self-aware, goofy fun. I recorded the Grindhouse double feature off HBO in HD back in January on my DVR. There are a couple of fake trailers between the two movies. I liked Death Proof way better than Planet Terror personally.

On the other hand, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End tried to jam way too many plotlines into a too-long movie with characters about whom I had a hard time caring. Greatest movie trilogy since Lord of the Rings! I thought the POTC films just kept getting bigger, richer, and better.

---

I just finished watching an episode of the old Dick Cavett Show from 1972 that I recorded off of TCM the other day. Cavett's guest was director Alfred Hitchcock; he was on to plug his new film at the time, Frenzy (which I recommend for any Hitchcock fan). TCM played a marathon of Hitchcock films the rest of the day. The interview was extremely funny at times; the corpulent Hitchcock has a very droll, subtle sense of humor. I've never really seen him outside his appearances in his films or the introductions on the TV show, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, so the interview was like meeting him for the first time.

Ando
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
- TF2: ROTF: I actually enjoyed it.
- Batman, The Brave and the Bold: I really enjoy this cartoon.
- Ghost Adventures.
- Moon Over Parador.
- Uncle Buck.
- In Plain Sight.
- Hung.
- True Blood.

pbarnard
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Watched Australia. It should've ended after the cattle drive. The whole WWII sthing seemed to be a different movie that dragged on too long and obvious.

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Uncle Buck.

One of my favorite comedies of all time.

The exchange in the principal's office is hillarious.

"I'm Buck, Buck Melanoma". :)

Ando
06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
"I'm Moley Russell's wart."

Qui-Long Gone
06-29-2009, 08:21 PM
YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE DISTRICT B13....a French film written by Luc Bresson (The Professional....The 5th Element).....great popcorn flick! :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE DISTRICT B13....a French film written by Luc Bresson (The Professional....The 5th Element).....great popcorn flick! :thumbsup: Yeah? What's it about? I loved The Fifth Element, great movie!

---

A college student has waking nightmares and is visited by a cloven-hoofed monster after playing a satanic video game in the devilishly bad 2005 horror movie Devour.

After a mysterious cone-shaped object is discovered in the forest outside town, scientists soon learn that it transported subterranean slug-like creatures to the surface bent on taking over and enslaving humanity in the watchable 1958 sci-fi film The Brain Eaters. Star Trek alum Leonard Nimoy (credited as “Nemoy” in the film) is unrecognizable as the old man he plays, but his distinctive voice gives him away.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
A few more reviews!

"Tokyo Zombie"- This flick is about two deadbeat employees whose lives change after the dead start rising and attacking the living. The film tries to blend ideas of martial arts and the discipline of jujitsu, but neither of the leads are fun to watch. The flick also doesn't doesn't develop any ideas or have any redeeming the factors. There is a bit of decent gore, but the main characters aren't really funny or exciting to watch. * out of ****

"The Wrestler"- Mediocre film with a fantastic performance. Rourke stars as Randy "The Ram," a wrestler down on his luck well after his prime. The flick does have some good moments, but there isn't much of a structure to the film. There's a good supporting performance with Evan Rachel Wood as his daughter, but Marisa Tomei's character is way too indecesive to be a good character. She just can't get her act together is really uneven during the film. Rourke is really solid though as he plays a character trying to redeem himself at the end of his life. Mediocre film elevated by a fantastic Rourke. Rating- *** out of ****

"Role Models"- This is a pretty hilarious flick thanks to some great writing and terrific performances from Rudd, Scott, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Rudd and Scott have to fulfill 180 hours of community service or they're off to jail for 30 days. Both hate it at first, but soon understand the importance of friendship and support. The film is pretty funny with some great lines and the plot with Plasse's LAIRE group is hilarious and boasts some great moments. I really recommend you check this one out. Rating- *** out of ****

OC47150
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
A few more reviews!

"Tokyo Zombie"- This flick is about two deadbeat employees whose lives change after the dead start rising and attacking the living. The film tries to blend ideas of martial arts and the discipline of jujitsu, but neither of the leads are fun to watch. The flick also doesn't doesn't develop any ideas or have any redeeming the factors. There is a bit of decent gore, but the main characters aren't really funny or exciting to watch. * out of ****

Thanks for sharing that info. I've wanted to see this movie. I'm a sucker for zombie movies.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for sharing that info. I've wanted to see this movie. I'm a sucker for zombie movies.

No prob; Maybe you'll enjoy it more than i did. I was just really, REALLY bored the entire time.

new review:

"Star Trek" (2009 film)- A highly fun, exciting, and fantastic film to watch, even for those who aren't fans of the original series or films. The casting is top notch as each actor gives a damn near spot on performance of their respective character, especially with Urban as McCoy and Quinto as Spock. The space battles and action are top notch and the film has a nice dose of humor and an overall sense of fun highly missing from later films in the franchise. A terrific reboot. rating- ***1/2 out of ****

El Chuxter
07-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Saw part of The Wild tonight and wish I hadn't. Also watched an episode of Clone Wars with the baby since there was nothing else kid-appropriate on. She said she liked the Transformers on TV. I told her not to insult Transformers.

If an army is going to use tweenyboppers as commanders, can they at least get them to dress not so much like five-dollar Bangkok prostitutes first? And was the Admiral supposed to be a John Cleese homage and, if so, why, and why was it so halfarsedly done? Damn, this show sucks, I don't care what anyone here says.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Saw part of The Wild tonight and wish I hadn't. Also watched an episode of Clone Wars with the baby since there was nothing else kid-appropriate on. She said she liked the Transformers on TV. I told her not to insult Transformers.

If an army is going to use tweenyboppers as commanders, can they at least get them to dress not so much like five-dollar Bangkok prostitutes first? And was the Admiral supposed to be a John Cleese homage and, if so, why, and why was it so halfarsedly done? Damn, this show sucks, I don't care what anyone here says.And now for something completely different.

Ji'dai
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
A Ninjitsu master (Franco Nero) visits a former army buddy’s Philippine plantation, romances his wife, and protects them both from a local business baron and his Japanese enforcer (Sho Kosugi), who are after the couple’s land in the 1981 action flick Enter the Ninja. The Italian actor Franco Nero, the film’s star, got his start making spaghetti westerns in the early 70s. Though the fight choreography is kind of lame at times and isn’t as exciting as the “wire-fu” and “cgi-fu” of today’s martial arts films, this movie spawned two sequels and contributed to the ninja craze that dominated the 1980s.

A woman learns to her horror that the man she married is not the man she fell in love with in the excellent 1958 science fiction movie I Married a Monster from Outer Space. Don’t be fooled by the corny title, this is probably one the better sci-fi movies from the 1950s, with special effects that still look good today. Alien scouts from a dying civilization land in a small town, kidnap local men and take their place with the eventual intention of mating with earth females in order to propagate their species. But the townspeople fight back, forcing the aliens to move on to another world.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
If an army is going to use tweenyboppers as commanders, can they at least get them to dress not so much like five-dollar Bangkok prostitutes first? And was the Admiral supposed to be a John Cleese homage and, if so, why, and why was it so halfarsedly done? Damn, this show sucks, I don't care what anyone here says.
You know you care what I say. ;) :p

Admiral Yularen is the same character from the Death Star briefing room in ANH - the old dude in the white with the mustache.

Rocketboy
07-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Just finished Lars and the Real Girl, which I found at Wal Mart for $4.
Pretty good, but not nearly as funny as it looked or as I'd heard. It was more of a dramedy. Ryan Gosling is great (as always) - every time I see him I think that this is a guy who could have played the hell out of Anakin Skywalker.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I just saw Gran Torino and liked it quite a lot. Clint Eastwood's character says some pretty damn racist stuff, and maybe the film goes too far sometimes in this regard, but by the end . . . well, just watch it, since it's good.

Rocketboy
07-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Enemy at the Gates, such a great WWII movie and highly underrated. Jude Law and Ed Harris are both outstanding as Russian and German snipers hunting each other during the battle of Stalingrad.
I love seeing WWII movies from a point of view other than the United States.

sith_killer_99
07-04-2009, 02:02 AM
I just rented "Fired Up"....I will have to buy this on Blu-Ray!:cheeky:

pbarnard
07-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Watched Red Cliff, a Chinese film by John Woo that is set up at the fall of the Han Dynasty, in what will eventually lead to a split into the era of 3 Kingdoms. My wife picked this up at the UIowa libraries. This is just the first installment of at least three pictures which are filmed in a manner very similar to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings--filming all at one shot, and than editing the parts later. Does have English subtitles, so I could follow along. It's pretty engrossing, as you start of following the contreverisial Prime Minister of the Han Cao Cao as he marches to crush the Han's Emperor's uncles and a Southern leader as well who unite out of necessity.

Ji'dai
07-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Four college students car pooling through the desert run out of gas at an abandoned town and are hunted by an odiferous malevolent creature armed with an assortment of mechanical blades, knives, and choppers in the surprisingly good 2005 horror movie Reeker. Michael Ironside plays a retiree RV-ing with his wife.

A New York City police detective (James Remar) helps his California girlfriend’s teenage nephew fight the heavily armed thugs that killed his mom and dad after they discovered their secret mountain marijuana farm in the watchable 1986 action film Quiet Cool.

JimJamBonds
07-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I watched Eddie and The Crusiers last night and also finished watching Marley and Me.

OC47150
07-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Enemy at the Gates, such a great WWII movie and highly underrated. Jude Law and Ed Harris are both outstanding as Russian and German snipers hunting each other during the battle of Stalingrad.
I love seeing WWII movies from a point of view other than the United States.

If you can find it, check out Cross of Iron. Sam Peckinpah's one and only WWII movie of his career. It's about Germans on the Russian Front in 1943. James Coburn (Flint!) is the main character.

By today's standards, it would be considered a low-budget movie. But the battle scenes are good. It was filmed in Yugoslavia in the 70s.

I watched quite a number of movies lately:

* Friday the 13th (2009). Wasn't that impressed. Watched it more out of curiosity than anything else. I still like the original better.
* Harold and Kumar Escape from Gitmo Bay. It was pretty funny. I thought it got a little funnier when Neil Patrick Harris showed up.
* Robocop. Red Forman as the bad guy!!
* Blue Thunder. Still a good flick after all these years.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-06-2009, 12:17 AM
I finally saw Ratatouille and liked it quite a lot. The sequence with all the rats cooking near the end was awesome! I also saw the name of our very own RooJay in the credits, so that was cool.

Rocketboy
07-06-2009, 12:26 AM
After reading Stephen King's "Low Men In Yellow Coats" I rented Hearts in Atlantis - such a disappointment. Most of the main parts of the story are there, yet it's still missing so very much of fit.

pbarnard
07-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Valkyrie. Eh, not bad, not good, nice average. Considering it's couch jumper, big accomplishment. Considering director, major accomplishment.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Two more reviews:

"Metallica: Some Kind of Monster"- Very solid documentary about the recording sessions for Metallica's album, "St. Anger." The record is with me problems, ranging from the departure of bassist Jason Newstead to James Hetfield's substance abuse. It's interesting to see the whole process of recording an album and how things work over time. The film does have some issues though as it really breezes over the Napster issue and it's hard not to think of Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield as whiny diva's at times. Still, if you're a music fan, you'll want to check out this documentary as it's engrossing, raw, and a really good flick. Rating- *** out of ****

"Wal-Mart: The High Price of Low Price"- Interesting premise, but Greenwald's film is littered with problems. Only ONE of his "facts" had an actual citation and this makes me wonder just where he's pulling his data from. He could be making it up for all I know! His interviews are pretty uneven; for example, you have a single mother of two that can't make ends meet. If you couldn't afford one child, why did you have another? And there is a young man with no college degree that is upset cos he gets paid poorly. If you want a higher paying job, get a degree and find another job! The film is also so bias and presents no counterpoint at all. Also, he doesn't bother to interview the main reason why wal-mart exists: the consumer. Very poor film indeed. Rating- * out of ****

Ji'dai
07-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Rival black and Hispanic gang members and police officers find themselves trapped in an LA warehouse after a meteorite turns the local homeless people into carnivorous zombies in the awful 2006 horror movie Gangs of the Dead. This movie is similar in premise to Day of the Dead, where rival groups spiral downwards into violence while confined in a claustrophobic space.

A former race car driver (David Carradine) on parole enters an underground, anything-goes cross-county car race in an attempt to get his career back on track in the fun 1976 action adventure movie Cannonball! Also stars David Carradine’s brother Robert Carradine and features movie directors Joe Dante, Roger Corman, and Martin Scorsese in bit parts.

JimJamBonds
07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
"Metallica: Some Kind of Monster"- Very solid documentary about the recording sessions for Metallica's album, "St. Anger." The record is with me problems, ranging from the departure of bassist Jason Newstead to James Hetfield's substance abuse. It's interesting to see the whole process of recording an album and how things work over time. The film does have some issues though as it really breezes over the Napster issue and it's hard not to think of Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield as whiny diva's at times. Still, if you're a music fan, you'll want to check out this documentary as it's engrossing, raw, and a really good flick. Rating- *** out of ****

Have you ever seen A Year and A Half In The Life of Metallica? or A Week and A Half? The first follows them recording and on tour during the Black Album and the second is during a 10 dayish break from recording Load. Both are good in their own right, although SKOM is waaaaaaay more "real."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-08-2009, 01:48 AM
I saw Batman Begins tonight since some friends wanted to. I hadn't seen it since before The Dark Knight opened last year, and while Batman Begins is really, really good, it doesn't really come close to the amazing near-perfection of its sequel.

Ji'dai
07-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Late one evening in their remote Romanian villa, a French teacher and her husband are tormented by a group of young teens in the 2006 French horror movie Them. Based on actual events, this film recounts a murder spree by a group of Romanian adolescents who tortured and killed several people that had “refused to play with them.”

A recent parolee (James Van Der Beek) and his former girlfriend find themselves facing the end of days after the world’s children awaken from a ten-year slumber to deliver the souls of the living through violence in the okay 2006 horror film Clive Barker’s The Plague.

Blue2th
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Rented Knowing with Nicolas Cage last night. Wasn't too bad, I enjoyed it.
The ending didn't turn out the way you would think.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Have you ever seen A Year and A Half In The Life of Metallica? or A Week and A Half? The first follows them recording and on tour during the Black Album and the second is during a 10 dayish break from recording Load. Both are good in their own right, although SKOM is waaaaaaay more "real."

Funny you mention that as after I posted my review on my blog, my lady told me about the "A Year and a Half" doc and i've added it to my NF. I couldn't find any info on "A Week and a Half" though. :(

Edit: new review!

"Milk"- Really fantastic film with awesome performances. Penn is nearly unrecognizable as Harvey Milk as he really transforms himself into Milk; and yes, he really deserved the oscar for this flick. I enjoyed the supporting roles from Franco and Brolin, but there is an odd subplot about Dan White's sexuality which is distracting and unfounded. Am I supposed to feel sympathy or something for him? I wasn't sure why it was there and it's distracting. Still, it's a really great film. rating- ***1/2 out of ****

preacher
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan.

Its been about 25 years since I saw this last time and I had forgotten the brutality of it all. The opening scene of the Alpha male ape tossing the baby chimp off the tree and the following scenes where the mother ape is holding its corpse (it turns out for 10 months until she discovers baby Tarzan) is very powerful imagery. I've always liked Christopher Lambert and really wish he was in more movies. This was his opening debut into the movie industry and he was a good choice. Other worthy mentions (terrible with names) are the chick from Groundhog day, the dude that played Bilbo, and the other dude that played Harry Potter's cruel uncle in all the Potter movies are also in the show.

It feels very real. That being said, I had to watch Disney's Tarzan in spite of Hutt O'Donnel's presence to cleanse my brain. Greystoke is quite dark. It was good to see it again after all this time. But in all honesty I probably won't watch it again for another 25 years.

pbarnard
07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Watched Religiulous last night. What I find suprising, is that the 2 Catholic priests come across as the people who most people would say are the most reasonable in the whole film. While I understand the whole point was to attack religion, it really seemed to me to attack unquestioned or fundamental/literalism in religion more sharply. And as a practicing Catholic, I wasn't offened by any of it.

JimJamBonds
07-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Funny you mention that as after I posted my review on my blog, my lady told me about the "A Year and a Half" doc and i've added it to my NF. I couldn't find any info on "A Week and a Half" though.

The Week and a Half was a video included in the Met Club's Fan Can 2 so tracking one down might be tough. I saw it once and that was back in 97-98 and it was on vhs.

UKWildcat
07-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I've watched a few movies recently:

Gran Torino - Absolutely loved it!

Taken - Not a bad way to spend an 1.5 hours. Liam Neeson was great.

Role Models - Thought it was pretty good. I was expecting more LOL moments, from what I had heard/read, but it was funny. Probably a movie that gets funnier the more you watch it.

Step Brothers - ... speaking of movies that get funnier the more you watch them. This one definitely qualifies IMO. Just watched it for the second time and found myself laughing much more than the first viewing. Good stuff.

I've also watched The Dark Knight quite a few times the past couple of weeks. Phenomenal movie!

Rocketboy
07-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Gran Torino - Absolutely loved it!

Taken - Not a bad way to spend an 1.5 hours. Liam Neeson was great.

Role Models - Thought it was pretty good. I was expecting more LOL moments, from what I had heard/read, but it was funny. Probably a movie that gets funnier the more you watch it.

Step Brothers - ... speaking of movies that get funnier the more you watch them. This one definitely qualifies IMO. Just watched it for the second time and found myself laughing much more than the first viewing. Good stuff.Agreed X 4

Ando
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Discovery's Pitchmen Tribute to Billy Mays. It was a good episode and very hard to watch.

Very moving and very tragic to see him pass away so suddenly.

Ji'dai
07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
A doctor at a Canadian apartment complex on an island attempts to contain an outbreak of sexually-transmitted organisms among the building’s tenants in the terrible 1975 horror film Shivers.

The new proprietor of an antique shop (Max von Sydow) foments chaos in the small Maine town of Castle Rock in the watchable 1993 horror movie Needful Things. Based on the novel by Stephen King, this film features Ed Harris as the town’s sheriff and Bonnie Bedelia as Harris’s fiancee.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-12-2009, 01:33 AM
"Hamlet 2"- When the film is on its game, it's a freakin' riot with great performances from the supporting cast and Steve Coogan. However, the flick relies too much on silly physical gags and jokes and punchlines that go nowhere. The play, HAMLET 2 is pretty funny though and the songs WILL get stuck in your head. I mean, with a time traveling Hamlet, Albert Einstein, and a sexy Jesus, how can you NOT like it? I'd say give it a chance, but don't expect too much. Rating- **1/2 out of ****

DarthQuack
07-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, watching them in order leading up to the release of the Half-Blood Prince.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Finally saw Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back without cable's editing. An awful and good movie.

sith_killer_99
07-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I just finished watching "Fast and Furious". I enjoyed the film for what it was, a fast paced action car flick. lol

Currently watching "Torchwood: Children of Earth"!:D

Rocketboy
07-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Over the last few days:

Lars and the Real Girl - Ryan Gosling goes a little nutty, buy a Real Doll and falls in love with it. A bit more serious than I initially thought, but still a very good, sweet film.

Ray - After my brother-in-law's suggestion. Amazing performances (even Jamie Foxx of whom I'm not a big fan), but just a so-so script.

Brick - Great hard boiled detective film transposed to a high school.

Bruno - Really funny, but Borat was better. I think Bruno tried too hard to be more shocking than Borat.

Walk Hard - Much funnier than I'd heard/expected. Even funnier of you've seen Walk The Line or Ray.

El Chuxter
07-13-2009, 12:56 AM
How much of Bruno was actually him surprising or fooling people? Are there really groups of folks who wouldn't recognize him, even if, "Hey, you look like the dude from Talladega Nights?"

preacher
07-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Or the rival barber in Sweeney Todd.

sith_killer_99
07-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Finished "Torchwood: Children of Earth" last night!:thumbsup:

Wow.................just.............wow!

Slicker
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Walk Hard - Much funnier than I'd heard/expected. Even funnier of you've seen Walk The Line or Ray.Definitely a good movie. And that chick from The Office (I always forget her name) has a great lookin' dumper too. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I watched Hunt for Red October yesterday. It's the movie responsible for my nephew enlisting and becoming a sonar dude on a boomer. He would have been a career submariner, but he screwed his back up during a torpedo drill (so I'm told) and was medically retired. He had eight years in and was looking to go twenty.

It's still a cool movie for me. Even though I know what's going to happen, I still feel the suspense!

pbarnard
07-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Bill Cosby: Himself. I just remembered the stuff he said on parenting, many of the stories about his son, how sad that is now, and the dentist chair. My wife could understand most of it and she thought it was funny too.

DarthQuack
07-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Watched a letdown of a HR Derby....but anything would be a letdown after last years performance by Josh Hamilton.

JimJamBonds
07-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I watched The Hunt For Red October the other day.... man did that suck. I'd like those 3 hours back.

Ji'dai
07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
After his android sex partner suffers a total system failure, a man hires a tracker with a tricked-out Ford Mustang (Melanie Griffith) to take him across no-man’s land to the ruins of Las Vegas in order to find a replacement in the horrible 1988 sci-fi movie Cherry 2000. Features western movie alums Harey Carey, Jr. and Ben Johnson as a frontier settler and tracker, respectively. Laurence “Larry” Fishburne has a bit role as a lawyer that mediates his client’s trysts and dates in a nightclub.

An agent charged with maintaining the peace between the forces of good and evil searches for a piece of enchanted chalk that empowers the user to rewrite his or her own destiny in the 2006 Russian horror movie Dnevnoi Dozor (Day Watch).

Kidhuman
07-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Watched Boondock Saints

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
"21"- "21" starts off as an entertaining popcorn flick, but once the Vegas plot goes on for a bit and Fishburne's character enters the picture, things take a really odd turn and characters start to behave out of what is really believable or acceptable. The ending sours the film as it feels like they were trying to do too much and things get really out of hand. Rating- ** out of ****

JetsAndHeels
07-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Eagle Eye.

Not a bad flick, but I think I have seen enough of Shia Labeouf for a while.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Watched Boondock Saints

Was there a fire fight?

Ji'dai
07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Some movies I gave up on half way: a treasure hunter disturbs the tomb of a vampire in 2006’s Desert of Blood; a motley group of people are trapped in a sealed parking garage with killer video game robots in 2002’s Subterano; a graveyard caretaker and his assistant have trouble with the recently deceased often returning to life in 1995’s Cemetery Man; and Hugh Quarshie (Captain Panaka in The Phantom Menace) is a detective in Clive Barker’s 1990 monster movie Nightbreed.

While making a horror movie for their film class, a group of students and their professor witness and document the rise of the living dead in the bad 2007 “mockumentary” George A. Romero’s Diary of the Dead.

pbarnard
07-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Body of Lies. Nice little espionage film. Although, irony is that the author of the novel it was adapted to, David Ignatius of the Washington Post, writes a column today saying how the CIA isn't to blame for intelligence failures despite a novel and several non-fiction books (from his columns) saying just that.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
[REC]- This damn near perfect spanish horror film features a group of survivors sealed off in an apartment building where a zombie producing virus has been found. The movie, shot with a handcam, is intense, fast, scary, and creates some fantastic suspense, especially during the last several minutes. I can't imagine that the American remake, "Quarantine," was even half as good as this movie. It leaves a few unanswered questions and while I could piece most of them together, I still was wondering about a few others. Still, this is a horror film that should not be missed by anybody. Easily one of the better horror films of the last several years. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

Kidhuman
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Was there a fire fight?

A big one. With 6 people on one side. Not 1 person with 6 guns

Ji'dai
07-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I couldn’t finish the boring 1933 science fiction film Men Must Fight. A pregnant nurse loses her pilot beau in the Great War and marries another man who raises her child as his own, and who later becomes Secretary of State as another war threatens to engulf 1940 United States.

After being hit by a car, an amnesiac woman (Christina Ricci) begins seeing strange people around the small English village where she’s recuperating, who oddly resemble the sculptures found in a recently discovered first century Christian church - those poor souls who bore witness to Christ’s crucifixion and have been damned to an eternity of wandering and watching human tragedy throughout the ages in the interesting 2002 horror film The Gathering. Features Ioan Gruffudd (Reed Richards in The Fantastic Four) as one of the “witnesses.”

DarkArtist
07-19-2009, 09:46 AM
i just recently watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to get set for Half Blood Prince..... also caught Dick Tracy last night on Turner Classic Movies

pbarnard
07-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Mamma Mia. Yep, the Abba fest musical. Really enjoyable.

The Tale of Desperauex. Nice little animated fable. Maybe I'll buy the book(s) for baby genetic Stirfry when s/he arrives.

Tropic Thunder. Only thing funnier I've seen the past year is Will Farrel's George W. Bush one man show. Didn't pass out, didn't **** myself, but man it hurt laughing that hard for that long.

DarthQuack
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Just saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I rather enjoyed it, even though they left out some things I would have preferred to see.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
A few more quick blurbs:

"Logan's Run"- The movie has an interesting premise, but the main lead character played by Michael York is hard to root for at first as he is primarily selfish and out for his own gain. In fact, during the film I wasn't really sure if he was acting out of love for his new squeeze or his own agenda. Also, the relationship with his lady, Jessica, feels forced and she only falls for him after they've defied death together (and this is after she denied him while she was basically a prostitute). I wanted more of a back story and more discussion about the situation of "the dome" and I felt the ending was a bit too happy. The dated SFX are actually neat to see as they do work in the context. Sadly, the movie just isn't that good. Rating- ** out of ****

"Shoot'Em Up"- A flick that sets out to be entertaining, violent, action-packed, twisted, and highly enjoyable. And it succeeds on every mark. The action is over the to and really ridiculous and Clive Owen uses everything from guns to oil to carrots to an infant to get the job done. If you're looking for a film with character development, detailed plot, and a message, you're looking in the wrong place. If you're looking for a silly and highly violent way to kill some time, look no further. For all its goofiness and whatnot, I thought it was a good time. A serious guilty pleasure. Rating- *** out of ****

Ji'dai
07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
A Greek partisan (Telly Savalas) helps an antiquarian (David Niven) and other prisoners escape from a German Major’s (Roger Moore) island archaeological excavation and destroy a hidden missile base in the boring 1979 war movie Escape to Athena. The all-star cast, which features such 1970s luminaries as Richard Roundtree (Shaft), Stefanie Powers, Claudia Cardinale (Once Upon a Time in the West), Elliott Gould, and even Sonny Bono, can‘t save this one. Michael Sheard (Admiral Ozzel in ESB and Adolf Hitler in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) plays yet another Nazi.

A motley group of a low-lifes, boozers, and other losers barricade themselves in a remote desert tavern and battle flesh-eating creatures in the rather fun 2006 horror movie Feast. Features rocker Henry Rollins as a traveling motivational speaker and Clu Gallagher (Bert in The Return of the Living Dead) plays the bartender.

OC47150
07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
A Greek partisan (Telly Savalas) helps an antiquarian (David Niven) and other prisoners escape from a German Major’s (Roger Moore) island archaeological excavation and destroy a hidden missile base in the boring 1979 war movie Escape to Athena. The all-star cast, which features such 1970s luminaries as Richard Roundtree (Shaft), Stefanie Powers, Claudia Cardinale (Once Upon a Time in the West), Elliott Gould, and even Sonny Bono, can‘t save this one. Michael Sheard (Admiral Ozzel in ESB and Adolf Hitler in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) plays yet another Nazi.

A motley group of a low-lifes, boozers, and other losers barricade themselves in a remote desert tavern and battle flesh-eating creatures in the rather fun 2006 horror movie Feast. Features rocker Henry Rollins as a traveling motivational speaker and Clu Gallagher (Bert in The Return of the Living Dead) plays the bartender.

I bought a VHS copy of Escape from Athena a couple of years ago, since a region 1 DVD hasn't been released. I remember seeing it air on ABC back in the early 80s.

Roger Moore's non-Bond movies aren't the greatest. My personal fave is the Wild Geese, about mercenaries in Africa. Richard Burton and Richard Harris also star. Another good one is Shout at the Devil, with Lee Marvin, about two adventurers in East Africa at the outbreak of WWI.

Feast is good. There's two sequels, but I hear they're inferior.

Ji'dai
07-23-2009, 08:00 AM
The black stormtroopers with the mirrored blast helmets protecting the Nazi rocket base in Escape to Athena was so out of left field. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that.

---

After a gangster (Martin Landau) kills his brother, a nightclub owner (Jim Brown) goes to war against the mob in the rather unexciting 1972 blaxploitation action flick Black Gunn. Most of the humor comes from the black and white characters exchanging colorful, but stereotypical, racist metaphors.

The rise in marijuana use among American teens is presented in the true story of a young woman’s casual pot smoking which eventually led her into doing “H” - heroin - and finally becoming a dealer to support her own habit in the sobering 1951 documentary short film The Terrible Truth. Features an elderly California judge who work[ed] with these teen drug cases, but the audio is out of sync with the video, which makes his scenes somewhat comical.

Old newsreel footage and narration exposes the private lives and personal idiosyncracies of 20th Century dictators in the interesting but not too exciting 1999 short documentary Human Remains. Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Franco, are Chairman Mao are featured.

DarthQuack
07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
I started watching The Gumball Rally at my Dad's house yesterday, but couldn't finish it since we had a family get-together to attend. Fun flick though. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
07-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Well since I'm waiting for Watchmen on Netflix, got Watchmen Tales of the Black Freighter. Pretty much sets the mood, nice to see the detail. Of course, the criticism is valid, a movie shouldn't recreate panel by panel a comic. This was definitely an attempt to fill the void left out by what had to be cut from the theatrical release.

sith_killer_99
07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
I just finished watching "Watchmen" thus answering the question...."Who watches the Watchmen"

It wasn't what I expected, not having read the comics, I found it to be very dark, closer the Sin City than X-Men or Spiderman. Overall an excellent movie.

Oh yeah, and it was long as ****!:yes:

Blue2th
07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
I just finished "watching" it too. Yeah It's nearly midnight.
I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Qui-Long Gone
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Just watched Stepbrothers with my wife....very crude....very sophmoronic...very funny! :pleased:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
I watched Stagecoach this afternoon. It was alright, but I felt like I missed where they introduced the characters, since I often had no idea what was going on.

pbarnard
07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Saturday watched The Incredible Hulk. Much better than the previous film, and I liked all the musical score alluding to the TV show.

Sunday watched W, the Oliver Stone film. Was it really a black comedy or was it biographical?

sith_killer_99
07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Sunday watched W, the Oliver Stone film. Was it really a black comedy or was it biographical?

It was neither. Black comedies are funny and biographies are factual.

Oliver Stone is so far detached from reality (conspiracy NUT) it would be impossible for him to make a factual documentary, and his only real comedy was "Natural Born Killers".

Ooooo.....I can't wait to see his new collaborative effort (mockumentary) with Hugo Chavez.:rolleyes:

I hear next up on his plate is a Documentary with Kim Jong Il, maybe we'll all get lucky and Stone will get locked up in N. Korea for being a spy.:laugh:

Seriously, if you want a good, funny, entertaining movie from last year, go rent Religulous, while Bill Maher is nowhere near as funny as he used to be, there are still a few laughs to be had in this film. We can only long for the days when Maher was playing characters in films like "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death", or "House II: The Second Story".:D Both of which I would recommend over above mentioned films. lol

pbarnard
07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
It was neither. Black comedies are funny and biographies are factual.

Oliver Stone is so far detached from reality (conspiracy NUT) it would be impossible for him to make a factual documentary, and his only real comedy was "Natural Born Killers".

Ooooo.....I can't wait to see his new collaborative effort (mockumentary) with Hugo Chavez.:rolleyes:

I hear next up on his plate is a Documentary with Kim Jong Il, maybe we'll all get lucky and Stone will get locked up in N. Korea for being a spy.:laugh:

Seriously, if you want a good, funny, entertaining movie from last year, go rent Religulous, while Bill Maher is nowhere near as funny as he used to be, there are still a few laughs to be had in this film. We can only long for the days when Maher was playing characters in films like "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death", or "House II: The Second Story".:D Both of which I would recommend over above mentioned films. lol

Funny, becuase I think 51% of people back in 2004 made a tragedy for 100% of us :thumbsup: That is they didn't get the joke from 2000.

Slicker
07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I just watched The Outlaw Josey Wales. Definitely one of Eastwoods finest.

DarkArtist
07-27-2009, 02:45 PM
i've been watched Season 1 of the Real Ghostbusters for the past week, catching 2-3 episodes a day - finally on the last disc but not that I'm complaining....i feel like a kid on saturday all over again.

Friday I watched the Director's Cut of Watchmen (love this movie) just ****ed that i shelled out the $20 for the 2 disc set instead of waiting till December for the ultimate 5 disc set with the Tales of the Black Freighter spliced back in.

Ji'dai
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I just watched The Outlaw Josey Wales. Definitely one of Eastwoods finest. Yeah, that was a really good movie. I liked how he kept spitting tobaccy juice on that dog's head throughout the picture.

---

“Old Surehand” (Stewart Granger) and his Indian friend Winnetou (Pierre Brice) guide a wagon train of settlers into Indian country and fend off a fiendish oil speculator and his hired guns in the banal 1966 western Rampage at Apache Wells.

A newlywed couple witness a pair of hired killers making a hit on a businessman but the two are caught and the new bride raped in the avoidable 1973 mystery crime drama Nightmare Honeymoon. For some reason, the hit men leave the couple alive, so the husband, recently back from Vietnam, tracks them down again and takes his revenge.

A professor of music is haunted and tormented by the vengeful spirit of her former friend and musical rival, whom she killed in an automobile accident in the 2005 Korean horror movie Cello.

sith_killer_99
07-28-2009, 09:34 PM
That is they didn't get the joke from 2000.

Is that the joke where Al Gore could have been President if he had managed to carry his own home state of TN (from which he had been both a US Congressman AND US Senator) in the Presidential election?

Hahaha

Even, former MN US Senator, Walter Mondale carried Minnesota in 1984.:yes:

Yeah, that was pretty funny.....couldn't even carry is own home State.lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Keep politics in the Rancor Pit, folks. This is for movie reviews and whatnot, not your political thoughts.

Ji'dai
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
A group of black buddies put their Vietnamese guerrilla warfare training to good use back home battling redneck Klansmen in the awful 1976 blaxploitation action film Brotherhood of Death. The Vietnamese “jungle” scenes looked like they were shot in a local park.

After they buy an old house, a young couple is haunted by the ghost of a woman who is searching for her lost love in the watchable 2005 Thai horror film the Ghost of Mae Nak. The ghost also takes vengeance on anyone who crosses the young couple, which makes for plenty of imaginative and gory deaths.

sith_killer_99
07-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Keep politics in the Rancor Pit, folks. This is for movie reviews and whatnot, not your political thoughts.

Ooops, I thought this was the Pit. jk I'll stop now. lol

Well, I watched "Knowing" and "A Haunting in Connecticut" this weekend.

Knowing was pretty good, I enjoyed the ending.

Haunting was terribly annoying. It seems the director felt that loud annoying noises = scary. I swear ever time a ghost popped up there was that annoying gotcha blast of.......whatever that noise was. It was really distracting. Note to director, sometime less is more, as in less annoying loud noises, more quiet creepy gotcha.:upset:

TeeEye7
07-29-2009, 03:14 AM

Not even political thoughts about the New Zealand embassy in New York? ;)

I'm not an Australian!

Ando
07-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Watched Eraser and Maverick this week. 2 movies my wife had managed to miss back in the mid 90's.

Rocketboy
07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Watched Eraser and Maverick this week. 2 movies my wife had managed to miss back in the mid 90's.I'd argue she didn't miss anything.
:D

sith_killer_99
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd argue she didn't miss anything.

HEY!!!

Jodie Foster looked hot in Maverick!:p

DarthQuack
07-30-2009, 04:25 AM
Watched The King of Kong with my new lady :) She really enjoyed it!

pbarnard
07-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Everything a "popcorn" flick should be and dare I say it, has a plot that doesn't need to be explained via a prequal comic, director commentary, etc.

Ji'dai
07-30-2009, 07:56 AM
A history of a typical English city (1936-2036) is told in the 1936 science fiction movie Things to Come. A global war in 1940 eases economic hardship but leads to nearly 30 years of social chaos and a worldwide pandemic, but the 1970 arrival of a group of airmen and their magnificent flying fortresses brings a new world order based on peace and high-technology. By 2036 the city enjoys an utopian existence that is threatened by controversy over the first manned-space launch. Based on the story by H.G. Wells.

A scientist at a private company researching extrasensory perception trains a psychic to hunt down a powerful telekinetic (Michael Ironside) who explodes the heads of those psychics who refuse to join his underground group in the 1981 horror movie Scanners.

Ando
07-30-2009, 09:47 AM
HEY!!!

Jodie Foster looked hot in Maverick!:p

Yes, she did indeed. I will always have a little bit of a crush on her character from that movie.

El Chuxter
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Note to self: keep an eye on Ando. Warn Secret Service if he starts purchasing multiple copies of The Catcher in the Rye.

Ando
07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Note to self: keep an eye on Ando. Warn Secret Service if he starts purchasing multiple copies of The Catcher in the Rye.

HA!

I assure you I have no intentions of EVER trying to impress Jodie Foster.

The crush was on Annabelle, not the actress playing her.

preacher
07-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Number 23, feat. Jim Carrey. Carrey plays a very simple man, an animal control officer by trade, named of Sparrow. During one of his dispatches he is bitten by a dog which causes him to be late in picking up his wife. His wife is in a book store and she finds a bound manuscript written by Topsy Kretts titled "Number 23". She reads it in its entirety while waiting for Sparrow and when Sparrow finally arrives she purchases it and gives to her husband to read. The manuscript is about a detective named "Fingerling" and Sparrow finds that not only does the author of Number 23 have a morbid fascination with the number, but the main character in the manuscript has a life that mimics his very own.

I'm not a big Jim Carrey fan. He was fresh when he first started out, but he has this tendancy to play the same character in all his movies, much like Cruise plays boy toys in all his. There are some exceptions: Truman show comes to mind, and Cableguy was a departure from his other roles. Number 23 is not only a fine story, but it has Carrey at his absolutely best. I really hope that Carrey gets away from as goofy a roles and explores drama more. This movie demonstrates he is more than capable.

I'm also not a huge fan of Joel Schumacher. Escpecially after the direction of his two batman movies and his introduction of nipples on Batman and Robin's armor. 8mm was a shocker, was good, but was in poor taste. Number 23 finds a good medium between the two. What really stands out is the visuals. The story unfolds like a Noir popup book when Sparrow is reading the manuscript. And when Carrey's character acts in "real life" the colors are muted and hints at something inside that is torturing him. Very good film.

Dragonball Evolution: I knew it would suck. And it didn't disappoint. Had I never watched all the episodes of the Dragonball series, Z, GT, movies and so on, I think I would have enjoyed it only slightly more. The kid that played Goku sucked. Goku is not supposed to be Peter Parker in martial arts attire. And strangely thats the direction this version of Goku took. The movie was very short, just over an hour. But the charm of the cartoon, fights that were over-the-top, completely devastating, and drawn out to the point you want to pull your hair out, is completely lost. The whole point of Dragonball is that it sattired the WWF with scripted rivalries, changing alliances, rediculous finishing moves and fighters that make decisions that just **** you off. The scriptwriter doesn't get it. I still watch Raw because I know its scripted. Its like the male version of a soap opera. Completely rediculous. The Dragonball cartoon shares these traits. Evolution doesn't. Its rediculous for a totally different reason. Its just stupid.

Qui-Long Gone
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm also not a huge fan of Joel Schumacher.

Most sane people aren't!

Try Phonebooth with Sutherland and Colin Ferrel....it actually is a good Schumacher film....

Ji'dai
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm also not a huge fan of Joel Schumacher. I really enjoyed The Lost Boys (1987) back in the day. Great soundtrack album too.

---

An 18th century doctor convicted of killing a patient using an experimental blood transfusion technique is sent to a prison for the criminally insane, where he is put to work categorizing blood types and perfecting transfusion methods for the creepy warden in the watchable 1958 horror film Blood of the Vampire.

Also really enjoyed 2009's Watchmen. I remember when this comic came out but never read it at the time so I really had no clue as to what this movie was about. Glad I gave it a look. I'd forgotten all about many of those 80s pop culture references.

scruffziller
08-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Also really enjoyed 2009's Watchmen. I remember when this comic came out but never read it at the time so I really had no clue as to what this movie was about. Glad I gave it a look. I'd forgotten all about many of those 80s pop culture references.

yes, its refreshing to see some films done about comic book stories that have depth to it.

Qui-Long Gone
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
^what are you trying to say, that the Fantastic 4 was shallow? :lipsrsealed:

sith_killer_99
08-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Never knock a film where Jessica Alba gets naked!!!

Ever, ever!!!:mad:

On a side note, I watched "Green Lantern: First Flight" last night, good flick, very well done, IMO.

pbarnard
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Frost/Nixon. Wow. Nixon was always a paranoid creep to me after reading "All the President's Men", but now after watching that, he's a paranoid grumpy bitter creep. Must find a production of the play now.

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Never knock a film where Jessica Alba gets naked!!!

They should be ashamed they had her play a woman who can turn invisible! I didn't see her naked...:mad:

Rocketboy
08-03-2009, 12:01 PM
They should be ashamed they had her play a woman who can turn invisible! I didn't see her naked...:mad:You could see her naked...even though she was on fire.

scruffziller
08-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Are you kidding, my friends who were dumb enough to go see it are still in therapy for having their childhood taken away. That was Silver Surfer BTW.

sith_killer_99
08-03-2009, 12:28 PM
She was naked in the flesh, even though she was covering herself, right after she flamed and then her powers failed.:p

Ji'dai
08-03-2009, 01:51 PM
A wealthy man sends a scientist (Clive Revill) [The Emperor in the original release of The Empire Strikes Back] and two mediums (one of whom is Roddy McDowall) to a legendary haunted house to prove the existence of life after death in the 1973 horror film The Legend of Hell House. Richard Matheson adapted the screenplay from his novel Hell House.

A head shrink (Peter Cushing) is called in to investigate a young bride’s claims of torment by ghosts and crawling severed hands in the 1973 horror movie And Now the Screaming Starts. Cushing doesn’t appear until half-way through the film.

UKWildcat
08-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I watched The Haunting In Connecticut the other night. Meh. :dis:

DarkArtist
08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
watched Star Wars Robot Chicken Episode II last night and last throughout the episode. loved the new stuff added, it was classic plus the outtake audio tracks for Breckin Meyer were hilarious.

Ji'dai
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Two unemployed lay-abouts (Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy) try to cash in on the death of a wealthy kinsman but find only a house haunted by other greedy relatives and servants in the 1930 Hal Roach comedy short The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case.

A scientist and a nightclub singer try to convince a detective that the recent spate of mysterious disappearances among fisherman, citizens, and mafia low-lifes are all due to hydrogen bomb-irradiated blue goo in the 1958 science fiction film The H-Man. The movie was directed by Ishiro Honda, a protégé of Akira Kurosawa, and is probably more famous for making the early Godzilla movies.

sith_killer_99
08-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

I was not impressed.:(

OC47150
08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Something odd is happening in a Texas town after a bio-chem weapon is released in the air in Planet Terror. This is one of my go-to movies. Whenever I get in an odd mood, I pop in Planet Terror. One of the local theatres is showing it at a midnight screening in a couple of weeks; I'm tempted to go see it.

Jeff Goldblum is an insomiac and goes to LAX to fly to Vegas for some late-night fun when he runs into Michelle Pfeiffer, and trouble begins in Into the Night. A little gem from the 80s that I enjoy. Lotta cameos of directors and actors sprinkled throughout the movie. My favorite is David Bowie.

Kidhuman
08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Obsessed - Horrible movie. It was better when they called it Fatal Attraction

Ando
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
We Married Margo.

It's the true story of two guys who were married to the same woman (at different times) who become friends and writing partners. VERY weird, but VERY funny.

pbarnard
08-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Serenity

Finally able to watch it from begining to end. No medical emergencies, comercials etc.

Ji'dai
08-08-2009, 08:33 AM
A group of schoolgirls summon a vengeful spirit to punish a gang of girls who mercilessly bully them in the convoluted 2004 Korean horror movie Witch Board: Bunshinsaba.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I caught a weird movie about a couple with an unusual relationship, Fling. It wasn't how I thought it'd be. Superman was in it! (the actor who played the recent SM Returns version).

sith_killer_99
08-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Watched "Race to Witch Mountain" last night. Not bad, I liked the movie overall, but the good bye scene was cheesy.

They just tried too hard. In the original I could see it, the 2 kids meet the old bitter angry man who had lost his wife. They teach him to open up his heart and care again. This had none of that, but they still expected the same impact, it just didn't work.

Otherwise, it was a fun movie to watch with cool special effects. I expect I will watch the sequel if they make one, certainly they left it open for a sequel.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2009, 01:13 AM
I just saw the infamous Howard the Duck. Was it the worst movie of all time? No. Was it "good"? No. :p I was surprised by all the sexual stuff in there (the exposed duck boobs, the condom, the bath house thing, etc.), and that combined with the perhaps-too-scary bad guy made me wonder if this was supposed to be a kids' film. Very few of the jokes were funny, the bad guy was mostly annoying, and it all just seemed like an odd duck . . . damn, the awful duck puns have worn off on me. :D

Ji'dai
08-10-2009, 08:53 AM
A scientist’s supercomputer achieves self-awareness and plots to enslave humanity in the rather interesting 1957 science fiction film The Invisible Boy. The supercomputer befriends and hypnotizes the scientist’s precocious young son and instructs him on how to assemble another scientist’s automaton, Robby the robot. The two become pals and Robby invents an invisibility serum for the boy while carrying out the supercomputer’s nefarious plot. The popular Robby the robot first appeared in the 1956 science fiction classic Forbidden Planet.

Kidhuman
08-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Watched the Yankees Sweep the Sox.

DarthQuack
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Watched the Yankees Sweep the Sox.

Me too, it was awesome.

Also watched last night's True Blood. Really loving this show this season.

sith_killer_99
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Also watched last night's True Blood. Really loving this show this season.

^ This.

Also they keep ending the show on frakin' cliff hangers!!! It's very frustrating, but keeps me coming back for more, their evil plot works.:twisted:

Ando
08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
- True Blood.

- In Plain Sight.

- Monk.

- Super Troopers.

- Psych.

- Entourage.

- Hung.

- Bollywood Hero (parts 1 and 2).

pbarnard
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Tropic Thunder

George Lopez standup

HBO debuts both.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I saw the 1992 movie Toys, with Robin Williams and Michael Gambon. I remember seeing the video box since I was very young, so it's always been at the back (waaaay back) of my mind. The surrealist imagery was really cool, and the rest was pretty good. Not the best ever, but after seeing Howard the Duck, you appreciate anything. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-11-2009, 08:49 PM
"The Omega Man"- Charlton Heston plays the possible sole survivor of a plague that has wiped out most of mankind and left many of the survivors as odd, mutated creatures. This is one of the original versions of Richard Matheson's novel, "I am Legend" (This is also the name of the awful Will Smith adaptation).

This version is far more interesting as the creatures, lead by Matthias (Anthony Zerbe), are actually destroying anything left by society in an attempt to erase the mistakes of the past. This creates an interesting idea of mankind wheeling towards its own destruction and whether to go with one side or the other. It's a nice dose of social commentary that i enjoyed. Heston is his usual gritty, angry self, but he has some interesting scenes with Zerbe as the two men are total opposites.

The film is a bit dated though and the jive talkin' ways of Lisa (Rosalind Cash) is really silly. And there are also some REALLY REALLY stupid actions taken by one main character that ends up being the last mistake they make. Also, I didn't get that these creatures were vampires, as was billed in plot summaries and on the DVD description itself.

It's a fairly decent film with an odd, slightly silly ending. Rating- **1/2 out of ****

"Taken"- Liam Neeson stars in this highly enjoyable action-thriller as a former CIA agent who heads to Paris after his daughter (Maggie Grace) is kidnapped.

The film is pretty straightforward with Neeson kicking arse and taking names. The plot here is interesting, but nothing to write home about and it's not really going for that as it means to be a fun and exciting action-packed film and it definitely succeeds in this realm.

I did enjoy the Jack Bauer-esque attitude of Neeson (not to mention a cameo from a 24 vet actor) who played the part very well and his character will do anything to get back his daughter and I had my original idea as to what the plot was about and was pleasantly surprised when I was wrong.

If you're looking for a really fun and exciting flick, this is one for you. If you want more drama and whatnot, avoid it. I thought it was great. Rating- *** out of ****

"City of Ember"- This flick has an interesting premise, but it just fails to pan out into a solid film. Two kids (Saoirse Ronan and Harry Treadaway) are part of a large, underground city that was built when the world above was destroyed by an unnamed catastrophe. They attempt to flee the city with the help of some ancient instructions, much to the chagrine of the Mayor (Bill Murray) and his assistant, played by Toby Jones.

I really liked the idea, but the film feels way too frantic and rushed with the kids running all over solving puzzles and whatnot. What I didn't understand is if their ancient elders had an idea to let them return to the surface 200 years later, why not make it much simpler? Why go through a series of hoops and dangers to rebuild society? I also felt that the lack of mentioning the cause of destruction hurt the film as it could've added a layer of thought and commentary to the flick.

I did enjoy Murray as a corrupt, sloth Mayor and Tim Robbins has a small, but interesting role in the film. Had it been flushed out more and been allowed time to build character and expand on the situation, it would've been much better. Rating- ** out of ****

Ji'dai
08-12-2009, 01:57 PM
A high-rolling pimp with a group of white, black, and Asian prostitutes sees his operation come crashing down under pressure from the police, a social worker, and the competition in the 1973 blaxploitation action flick Willie Dynamite. The star character’s car (purple Cadillac with custom chrome exhaust) and wild outfits (jumpsuits and long fur coats with matching hats) basically set the stereotype for pimps everywhere.

JimJamBonds
08-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I watched Jumper last night, kinda crusty but otherwise ok. I wonder if Sam Jackson will ever get to 'kill' H Christ on the big screen???

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2009, 02:23 PM
"Resident Evil: Regeneration"- This total CG film is a nice addition to the RE franchise, despite a few issues.

The film picks up 7 years after the destruction of Raccoon City as Claire Redfield is flyign to meet some friends. Of course, things soon turn to hell due to an outbreak of the T-Virus and Claire has to deal with an airport of zombies and whatnot after a bioterror attack. The U.S. Government sends Leon S. Kennedy into the airport and the two reunite and then have to get to the bottom of how the T-Virus is still around and more importantly, who unleashed it.

Now, the film versions of RESIDENT EVIL are enjoyable for what they are (i'm e-baying them right now actually!), but i think everybody's main gripe is that they don't really do much with the games, they center too damn much on Alice, and miss the point and atmosphere of the games. The game is a great step towards the right path as it is zombie infested, has more of the corporation issue, and we already have Redfield and Kennedy, who characters we know very well. It's a pretty enjoyable flick, but it does have some problems. My first one being the lip synching is really, really bad. Also, Leon is a bit too stone faced, rarely showing any emotion to anything and always escaping things without a scratch.

Still, if you're a fan of the franchise and games, you'll probably enjoy it as much as I did. Rating- *** out of ****

and as a bonus to RE fans, i'm posting a pic of my buddy at SDCC in his S.T.A.R.S. uniform that is from the second RE film and he bought off their e-bay auction a few years back. If you're a fan of the games like me, you very well might laugh your arse off like I did when you realize what he's doing. :thumbsup:

OC47150
08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
The RE movies are guilty pleasures for me. I'm watching #1 currently. And you're exactly right: very little similarity to the games. My girlfriend's sons are into RE Code Veronica and they ask about certain characters, and I say, who?

Blue2th
08-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Finally rented Punisher War Zone
This movie was really good. Very violent, lot's of gore, good storyline.

Beats the heck out of the one with John Travolta. Too bad that one came out first or this one would have gotten more buzz. It was a definitive Punisher character and movie.

Ji'dai
08-16-2009, 02:54 PM
A group of suburbanites (Tom Hanks, Rick Ducommun, & Bruce Dern) and their fretful wives (Carrie Fisher & Wendy Schaal) discover that their strange new neighbors are up to no good in Joe Dante’s funny 1989 comedy The ‘Burbs. Corey Feldman plays a neighborhood teen.

Sid Davis Productions, in cooperation with the West Covina Police Department, portray the chilling effects of drinking and driving in the 1965 public service film The Bottle and the Throttle.

Rocketboy
08-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Finally rented Punisher War Zone
This movie was really good. Very violent, lot's of gore, good storyline.

Beats the heck out of the one with John Travolta. Too bad that one came out first or this one would have gotten more buzz. It was a definitive Punisher character and movie.I barely finished War Zone. Totally retarded. They raped everything that was good from The Punisher. And the story was thread-bare, if you can even call it a story.
Punching a guy THROUGH the face?
What kind of moron hangs upside down from a chandelier during a firefight?

Give me the FAR superior Tom Jane's Punisher any day. Hell, I'd even take Dolph Lundgren's Punisher over Ray "mumbles with an accent" Stevenson.

sith_killer_99
08-16-2009, 08:04 PM
I just finished watching all 12 episodes of "The Middleman".

Cheesy and campy, but fun.:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Today I saw Pineapple Express, which was very funny and well done.

TeeEye7
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Last night on HBO; Apaloosa. An Ed Harris directed-written-filmed-sang-swept-the-floors-he-did-everyting western with Viggo Mortensen (who I think makes a fine cowboy). Too many sub-plots with a very annoying Renee Zellweger.

I liked the scenery (but then again, I've always liked New Mexico), sets, and costumes, though.

sith_killer_99
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I recorded Apaloosa on my DVR but have not watched it yet.

TeeEye7
08-17-2009, 12:57 PM
It's worth a look; it's just not the best western ever made.

pbarnard
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
It's worth a look; it's just not the best western ever made.

Those terms are mutually exclusive with me. I just don't like westerns. :tired:

Ji'dai
08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
A wealthy entrepreneur (Malcolm McDowell), a police sergeant, a prison burial crew and their warden fend off killer flies and voracious maggots on an island that New York City uses to bury its unclaimed dead in the forgetful 2000 horror movie Island of the Dead. Mos Def plays one of the prisoners on the burial crew.

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
^That sounds like a winner! :pleased:

DarthQuack
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I hope to watch True Blood tonight, before having my early bedtime :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I watched Alice in Wonderland last night with the aforementioned friend. It was damn weird. I think I got high just watching it. :dead:

Ji'dai
08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
A warrior must use a mystical bladed weapon to rescue his princess and defeat the alien overlord who has invaded his world in the boring 1983 sci-fi fantasy Krull. Also stars Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies).

Captain Archer and his intrepid crew race to stop Borg drones discovered in the Arctic and inadvertently unthawed by Starfleet scientists in the 2003 Star Trek: Enterprise episode “Regeneration.”

pbarnard
08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Rachel Getting Married. Anne Hathaway's Oscar nominated performance as Kim, the in and out of rehab sister of Rachel who is getting married. Kim just released from rehab has to deal with the reactions of her family and wedding guests to her role in a tragic event and dealing with soberity. Plot went no where. This was the stereotypical Oscar nominated role: recovering addict, child molestor, or "never go full retard" that always seems to get a nod.

Ji'dai
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
A commando team is sent into a subterranean research center to contain the alien menace that has taken over the facility in the awful 2003 horror movie Deep Evil. Lorenzo Lamas plays one of the commandos.

Three couples on a sea-faring vacation rescue the lone survivor (John Rhys-Davies) of a derelict craft and must contend with the entity that possesses him in the watchable 2007 New Zealand horror movie The Ferryman.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
"The Last Man on Earth"- The first adaptation of the 'I am Legend" novel is an interesting take on the source work, but it too has problems.

Robert Morgan (Vincent Price) is one of the few remaining people on earth that has not been transformed into a vampire from a mysterious plague. He battles every day for his life against hordes of vampires while he dwells on his own life and an attempt to find a cure.

The problems arise as the vampires, well, are more like zombies as they don't move fast or are remotely frightening. Also, the film's ending is really goofy as it doesn't make sense. Lastly, the plague is never talked about as being a human creation, thus losing any sense of commentary. Still, Price is a great actor and seeing as George Romero was influenced by this film, it's an interesting watch. Rating- **1/2 out of ****

"Panic in Year Zero!"- Ray Milland stars in this pretty solid 1962 film about a family trying to survive after the west coast and many cities around the globe are devastated after nuclear attacks.

Milland stars as Harry Baldwin, a father who attempts to protect and provide for his family after a series of nuclear attacks. Along the way, he has to turn from being a moralistic man to a murdering, stealing, vagabound to survive and take care of his family. Milland does a good job playing the part as it's interesting to see the switch that he goes through, along with this son (Frankie Avalon).

My main gripe is that some of the other characters, mostly women, aren't developed enough and this is pretty much a criticism of the times as women weren't going to get treated as wel as other characters.

Still, it's a very minimalist approach to the end of times and it's an interesting and exciting premise. Rating- *** out of ****

"Waltz with Bashir"- Ari Folman's animated autobiography is a masterpiece as it explores his lost memories of his time as an Israeli soldier during the 1980's, including the horrific Sabra-Shatila massacre.

I was really drawn in by the animation and style of the film. It's very unique and almost reminded me of cell shaded animation, but it's much better than what I can describe it as. The film unfolds as Folman visits various old friends/comrades as he tries to discover his part in the massacre and it's incredibly interesting to see what his role was in the massacre and how he reacts to it.

I also must give a mention to the music from composer Max Richter is amazing and it only helped to draw me into the film.

"Waltz" is a terrific and unsettling journey into one mans memories of war. I really, really recommend this one. Rating- **** out of ****

OC47150
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
A commando team is sent into a subterranean research center to contain the alien menace that has taken over the facility in the awful 2003 horror movie Deep Evil. Lorenzo Lamas plays one of the commandos.

Three couples on a sea-faring vacation rescue the lone survivor (John Rhys-Davies) of a derelict craft and must contend with the entity that possesses him in the watchable 2007 New Zealand horror movie The Ferryman.

Both of those sound interesting. I might have to track them down.

A detective is hired by a beautiful lady to help track down a mysterious package in the Maltese Falcon. I've been in a Humphrey Bogart mood lately. Watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre last week. Watching Bogey's descent into paranoia and madness is interesting.

Also watched The Devil's Brigade, a WWII drama about an American-Canadian special forces unit that fought in Italy. William Holden and Cliff Robertson stars.

And I'm in the process of watching the classic WWII drama Destination Toyko with Cary Grant. Found that one at the grocery story yesterday and it was a must-buy.

JimJamBonds
08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I started watching Meet The Spartan's earlier tonight... man that was a dumb movie.

Ji'dai
08-21-2009, 07:20 PM
A mad scientist (Udo Kier) creates life in his laboratory while his libidinous wife diddles with the new servant (Joe Dallesandro) in the campy 1974 Italian horror movie Andy Warhol’s Flesh for Frankenstein.

A woman thinks her two new charges are being possessed by the spirits of their previous governess and her lover in the 2006 horror movie In a Dark Place. The movie is based on the Henry James’ story The Turn of the Screw. The 1961 film adaptation with Deborah Kerr, The Innocents, is far superior.

Qui-Long Gone
08-22-2009, 11:13 PM
District 9...loved it!

Ji'dai
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM
The spirit of a woman’s recently departed fiancee speaks to her on the video tape she shot of him the night before he died, which leads her to the man’s murderer in the forgettable 2007 horror film Ghost Image.

sith_killer_99
08-23-2009, 01:42 AM
I just watched the pre-aired 1st episode of the new season of "Dexter"!!!:thumbsup:

pbarnard
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM
My wife watched Confessions of a Shopaholic while I read Abyss. We than watched The Express. One definitely gives a morality of the marketing of the fashion industry. The other isn't really a story of football but of civil rights.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Today I finally saw The Dirty Dozen after trying a few weeks ago. It was fantastic!

Ando
08-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Psych, Monk, True Blood, Entourage, Hung, Mad Men, Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
"Paprika"- This animated japanese film is about a dream therapy device that is stole and soon begins to wreak havoc on not only the dream world, but reality as well.

I will say that I loved the animation/art of this flick. It's really gorgeous and a lot of the sequences are amazing. Sadly, the story is really, REALLY confusing at times. I wasn't sure what was going on half of the time and the narrative doesn't help as they jump around from the dream world to reality without much help.

Again, the animation is fantastic. It's just a shame that the story wasn't as concise and clear. Rating- ** out of ****

"Paris, je t'aime"- This delightful film is made up for 18 short films that take place around Paris. Each segment is roughly five minutes long, and features different cast members, different diretors and obviously, a different story.

I really loved the bajesus out of this flick. I thought i'd have a problem with the short story style (get to that in a second), but most of the stories are wonderfully done and we're able to relate to most of the characters we come across.

There are a few low points though; the piece from Gus Van Sant comes to mind, but about 98% of these short films are fantastic. Also, the jilted and fast story telling techniques take a few to get used to, but once you do, you don't even notice the transitions. I really recommend this one. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

sith_killer_99
08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Today I watched "Donnie Darko" and "S. Darko"!

I had hoped the sequel would be as good as the original, no such luck.:upset:

Rocketboy
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
"Paris, je t'aime"- This delightful film is made up for 18 short films that take place around Paris. Each segment is roughly five minutes long, and features different cast members, different diretors and obviously, a different story.

I really loved the bajesus out of this flick. I thought i'd have a problem with the short story style (get to that in a second), but most of the stories are wonderfully done and we're able to relate to most of the characters we come across.

There are a few low points though; the piece from Gus Van Sant comes to mind, but about 98% of these short films are fantastic. Also, the jilted and fast story telling techniques take a few to get used to, but once you do, you don't even notice the transitions. I really recommend this one. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

:thumbsup:I picked this up a while ago when Best Buy had it on sale for $5, but have yet to watch it. The (kinda) sequel, New York, I Love You, will be out soon.

Today I watched "Donnie Darko" and "S. Darko"!

I had hoped the sequel would be as good as the original, no such luck.:upset:The fact that it was a straight-to-dvd sequel didn't tell you beforehand?

Qui-Long Gone
08-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Watched the Fall tonight...a visually arresting film that I'm surprised when under the radar...

sith_killer_99
08-25-2009, 12:31 AM
The fact that it was a straight-to-dvd sequel didn't tell you beforehand?

Ummm, no, because I didn't know it was straight to DVD.:p

Honestly, I don't go to movies much anymore, so I don't pay much attention to what's out. I usually just go to the local store and see what's out on DVD and assume I am 6 months behind the power curve.:yes::laugh:

Rocketboy
08-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Ummm, no, because I didn't know it was straight to DVD.:p

Honestly, I don't go to movies much anymore, so I don't pay much attention to what's out. I usually just go to the local store and see what's out on DVD and assume I am 6 months behind the power curve.:yes::laugh:Ok, you get a pass...this time.

Just finished Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) from writer, director and star John Cameron Mitchell (Shortbus). This is a movie I've been meaning to see for a while now, but it's been out of print until recently, and I finally bought it when deepdiscount.com had their 25% off sale. It's based on the rock musical of the same name and is about "an ambitious glam-rocker who comes to America determined to find fame, fortune, and his 'other half.'"
Good, slightly odd, film with a great original rock soundtrack.

pbarnard
08-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Reunification Parts I&II of Star Trek: The Next Generation on SyFy (sic). Spock and Data working together? Trek-gasm!!!

Ji'dai
08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
A medical school professor (Peter Cushing) pays two street bums to supply him with fresh cadavers in the 1960 horror movie The Flesh and the Fiends. Donald Pleasance plays one of the "fiends" in this film, one of many adaptations of the Robert Louis Stevenson story "The Body Snatchers."

Detective John Dark and his partner Detective Shade hunt down criminals and bring them to justice outside the law using Shade’s vampiric symbiote in the awful 2005 horror movie Cold and Dark.

pbarnard
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Milk. Yep, hands down, Sean Penn got his reward. Josh Brolin is suprisingly becoming the actor his father wishes he was.

Ji'dai
08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
An English aristocrat (Richard Harris), bored with society life, yearns for the American west where he spent his youth, but upon his return, he finds his adoptive Indian tribe under the oppressive heel of a ruthless trapper and his gang in the okay 1976 western The Return of a Man Called Horse. Irvin Kershner (The Empire Strikes Back) directs.

The British bomb the German rocket base at Peenemunde during WWII but must send in undercover agents to infiltrate and take out an underground rocket test facility in the excellent 1965 thriller Operation Crossbow. George Peppard stars as one of the spies and Paul Henreid (Victor Laszlo in Casablanca) plays a German general. Also features a bit part with Sophia Loren.

OC47150
08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
A medical school professor (Peter Cushing) pays two street bums to supply him with fresh cadavers in the 1960 horror movie The Flesh and the Fiends. Donald Pleasance plays one of the "fiends" in this film, one of many adaptations of the Robert Louis Stevenson story "The Body Snatchers."

AMC was showing this movie just this morning. I caught a bit of it.

Rob Zombie's Halloween. I watched it again to familarize myself with the premise in case one of my buddies wanted to see the sequel this weekend. It's not my favorite horror movie (love the original Halloween). I noticed a lot of bad editing shots throughout the movie, too.

I discovered this old WWII series called the World at War at the library. It was made in the 80s, I think, and uses a lot of news reel footage and interviews. Very interesting. I've watched about Stalingrad and the battle for Berlin, and am watching about D-Day.

Ji'dai
08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Two guys (Peter Fonda & Dennis Hopper) make a big score selling drugs and take off on a cross-country motorcycle trip to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, meet a lot of strange people along the way -- some good, some bad -- and discover only intolerance and suspicion among redneck Southerners in the 1969 film Easy Rider. Jack Nicholson plays an alcoholic attorney who joins the men on their trip and music producer/convicted murderer Phil Spector has a bit part as the drug boss.

Two teens discover a giant arachnid living in a cave outside town and return with their high school teacher and the authorities to kill it in the fun 1958 science fiction film Earth vs. the Spider. Thought to be dead, the monster is put on display in the high school gymnasium, but it soon reanimates and attacks the town.

Rocketboy
08-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Knowing and Sunshine Cleaning.
Knowing was 80% ok and 20% suck.
Sunshine Cleaning was a good little film. Not as funny as the trailers/commercials made it out to be. More of a dramedy. And I couldn't help but think it could have worked better as a dramedy series on HBO/Shotime/USA/A&E/whatever.

Rocketboy
08-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Watched Terminator 2 for the first time in ages today. The movie has held up well...with the exception of Edward Furlong. That kid was friggin' horrible.

And in a weird coincidence, I watched it on the 12th Anniversary of Judgment Day (August 29, 1997).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I just finished The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It was probably the best of the series, but a little too long. Pretty great overall, though.

Ji'dai
08-30-2009, 08:29 AM
I just finished The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It was probably the best of the series, but a little too long. Pretty great overall, though. Just pretty great? It's a masterpiece! Another western on par with this one is Once Upon A Time in the West. It has a long running time too. Director Sergio Leone wanted Eastwood to star again but they couldn't agree on the actor's fee. Eastwood was a big star now and wanted more money for his work; Leone thought he had a lot to do with making Eastwood a star in the first place and was peeved that Eastwood wouldn't do the film for the less money. In the end, Leone hired Charles Bronson instead. Still, Once Upon a Time in the West is a fantastic film and one of the best westerns ever made. Even the film score is excellent; it was composed by Ennio Morricone, who also scored the dollars trilogy. Morricone was like the John Williams of Italian cinema.

---

Tourists staying at a historical-themed resort populated with life-like android people must fight to stay alive when the robots malfunction and turn on them in the watchable 1973 science fiction film Westworld. Richard Benjamin, James Brolin, and Dick Van Patten play tourists and Yul Brynner is the steely-eyed, Terminator-like, Old West android gunfighter. This film was written by Michael Crichton, who later revisited the idea of a controlled environment such as a theme park disintegrating into chaos in Jurassic Park. This movie also marked his directorial debut. Another interesting tidbit about this film is that the scenes in the “Roman World” theme section of the park were shot on the Beverly Hills estate of silent comic actor Harold Lloyd.

Two reporters (Peter Fonda & Blythe Danner) investigating a futuristic theme park populated by life-like android people uncover a plot to replace world leaders with flesh-and-blood replicants in the 1976 science fiction film Futureworld. This sequel to Westworld also features Yul Brynner in a cameo appearance reprising his role as the Old West gunfighter from the first film. This was also Brynner’s last film; he performed in stage productions on and off Broadway until his death 10 years later. Some of the film’s scenes were shot at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

JimJamBonds
08-30-2009, 12:15 PM
I just finished The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It was probably the best of the series, but a little too long. Pretty great overall, though.

Come on man this movie kicks maximum butt!!!

OC47150
08-30-2009, 04:21 PM

I had the chance to see the restored version on the big screen last summer. I respect and enjoy that movie even more after that experience.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-31-2009, 12:23 AM
I think I was just a little too tired when I watched it. I saw it with my parents, and I had to keep waking them up, which always takes a little bit out of the viewing experience. Still, Blondie and Angel Eyes were insanely badass, and the score is amazing. I would like to see it again at some point. Same with Once Upon a Time in the West - people say it's Leone's best, but it was the first one I saw, and all the flaws were distracting; the same ones are present in his other films, but since I was ready for them, I didn't mind them. Also, we watched that in my film class, and I had pretty much hated my film professor by that point, and he was trumping it up so much that it annoyed me. So, again, I felt like I saw it under bad conditions and would like to revisit it some day.

pbarnard
08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
The International is a pretty boring thriller with Clive Owen and Naomi Watts. Too linear and predictable to have any impact.