PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

preacher
12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I wasted 90 minutes watching the most overrated film of 2009, Paranormal Activity.

Me too. You can watch the last 10 seconds and get the point. Overrated is an understatement.

bigbarada
12-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I just watched The Perfect Getaway today. Pretty good, definitely a big surprise revelation near the end.

TeeEye7
12-31-2009, 12:41 AM
It was chick-flick night: I was out-numbered by my wife, her sister, and her mom. We watched Meet Joe Black that my sister-in-law had picked up for $1.99 in a bargain bin.

Actually, it wasn't too bad. Good soundtrack, too.

sonofsokol
12-31-2009, 01:29 AM
I just watched the new Star Trek for the first time. Great movie!

Tycho
12-31-2009, 05:03 AM
I watched All Quiet On The Western Front.

sith_killer_99
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM
I just watched "Paranormal Activity"!

I am left with a mixed review. It kinda sucked, some bad acting, poor dialogue, but it ended up being pretty frikin' scary.:twisted:

Rocketboy
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I just watched "Paranormal Activity"!

I am left with a mixed review. It kinda sucked, some bad acting, poor dialogue, but it ended up being pretty frikin' scary.:twisted:Hmmm...They must've cut the scary parts out of the version I saw, because that was boring as hell.

:D

sith_killer_99
12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Hmmm...They must've cut the scary parts out of the version I saw, because that was boring as hell.

:D

Well, if you paid to watch this in the theaters then yes, you missed it, the best part was the alternate ending where ol' girls cuts her own throat in front of the camera, up close and personal!

The whole "night vision" thing creeps me out, ever since the Paris Hilton video (can I say that on the boards?):laugh:.

sith_killer_99
12-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh, also, last night I watched "The Watchmen" director's cut, coming in at just over 3 hours long!

Still a good flick, I got it at Target on sale for $17.00 (Blu-Ray with digital copy).

Rocketboy
01-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Well, if you paid to watch this in the theaters then yes, you missed it, the best part was the alternate ending where ol' girls cuts her own throat in front of the camera, up close and personal!Nah, that was on the DVD. Good thing they reshot it because it looked like crap.

The whole "night vision" thing creeps me out, ever since the Paris Hilton video (can I say that on the boards?):laugh:.I was hoping for some action like that where the ghost would have ripped off the chicks shirt or something to make it worthwhile. :D

sith_killer_99
01-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Well, I watched "Deadline" tonight, wasted 1 1/2 hours of my life.:mad:

Tycho
01-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I watched Paths of Glory.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I watched Taxi Driver, which was pretty great. It was pretty creepy the whole time, but in a good way . . . if that makes sense. :p

sith_killer_99
01-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Watched both parts of "Doctor Who: End of Time".

This show rarely disappoints and the new episodes were awesome!

Sad to see David Tennant go so soon.:cry:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Today I saw Inglourious Basterds and Paranormal Activity. I'm not a fan of how Quentin Tarantino always has to remind how much of a film student he is, so the homages to other movies was grating at times. Still, overall, it was a pretty fun movie. Who doesn't love to see people killin' Nazis? :p

Paranormal Activity was pretty much a colossal waste of time. Twenty minutes of bickering, some footsteps, rinse, repeat.

sith_killer_99
01-02-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm not a fan of how Quentin Tarantino always has to remind how much of a film student he is, so the homages to other movies was grating at times. Still, overall, it was a pretty fun movie. Who doesn't love to see people killin' Nazis? :p

Yeah, but what are you gonna do, it's his trade mark and people know that going in to see his films. I agree sometimes he goes over the top, most of the time that's the fun, occasionally it's too much.

IB was great fun, I really enjoyed it, Death Proof was the same way, Planet Terror was too "over the top" for me. So it's hit or miss, IMO he delivers 80% of the time and overdoes it 20% of the time.

I wonder how he will do with Kill Bill 3. I have great hope for it, but that's usually when I get let down.:(

Tycho
01-02-2010, 07:54 AM
I watched Behind The Lines.

We were fighting Germans then, too - but this was "the prequel." ;)

Rocketboy
01-02-2010, 08:29 AM
IB was great fun, I really enjoyed it, Death Proof was the same way, Planet Terror was too "over the top" for me.Planet Terror was Robert Rodriguez, not Tarantino.

I also (re)watched Inglourious Basterds last night and loved it just as much as the first time, a rarity when it comes to a Tarantino flick. Pulp Fiction is the only other film of his that I've ever had the urge to watch more than once.

I'm just in awe of the dialogue in IB. So well done. QT's dialogue usually has too much of a wannabe hipster vibe for me. It never sounds natural.

The acting is also incredible. I love Brad Pitt hamming it up almost to the point of a cartoon. Melanie Laurent as Shoshanna was great. But the real standout is Chrisopher Waltz as Hans Landa - My God, in just that first scene he is incredible. He'd better get the Oscar for this movie.

Any complaints I have feel like nitpicks because I loved the rest so much.

sith_killer_99
01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Planet Terror was Robert Rodriguez, not Tarantino.

I stand corrected, Rodriguez wrote and directed, Tarantino was credited as a "Producer".

Slicker
01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I partook in the original theater versions of the Holy Trilogy. It was the first time that I've seen them on DVD and even to this day they look pretty impressive.

sith_killer_99
01-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Tonight I watched:

"The Italian Job" the original 1969 version with Michael Caine, classic old school 60's films, they're good, but I really have to be in the mood to watch them.

"Drag Me to Hell" which sucked, but the ending almost made up for it, seems like any horror movie with Justin Long is doomed to end badly., Jeepers Creeps, Drag Me to Hell...:laugh:

JimJamBonds
01-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I watched The Dark Knight and The Goods last night.

Tycho
01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm watching The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Volume 2.

(the World War One years)

bigbarada
01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I watched the new Sherlock Holmes tonight. It was okay; but I could only understand half of what anyone was saying so maybe I missed some information. I'm not sure if it was the British accents (I find that British people are normally pretty difficult to understand) or just a bad sound system in my local theater.

Overall, though, I thought it was kind of slow with not too much to get excited about.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Today I saw District 9 and thought it was great all around. Interesting story, good allegory, great effects, designs, and acting.

Tycho
01-04-2010, 03:53 AM
What year would you say District 9 takes place in?

Rocketboy
01-04-2010, 06:26 AM
What year would you say District 9 takes place in?2010. More specifically, August 9, 2010.

sith_killer_99
01-04-2010, 08:08 AM
District 9 was AWESOME, not to be a fanboi, but it is the best original Sci-Fi film in YEARS! Hollywood could never have done something this outstanding by themselves. Neill Blomkamp did an OUTSTANDING job and now, like Blair Witch, we can expect a ton of clone film knock offs.:rolleyes:

Tycho
01-04-2010, 11:50 AM
we can expect a ton of clone film knock offs.:rolleyes:

You mean with Captain Hex and Commander Jody? :D

OC47150
01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Blade Runner.

I found the four-disc version of Blade Runner at WM over the weekend for $15. This includes the '82 US and international releases, the '92 director's cut, and the '07 definitive cut.

The documentary Dangerous Days is worth the price. It's an eight-part docu about the film with a lot of behind-the-scenes production footage. Some of the movie's deleted scenes are included in the docu, too. The principle actors and crew are interviewed. It wasn't an easy movie to shoot. I didn't realize that the night scenes were filmed outdoors. The crew worked until the eastern sky got light and then stopped.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
I just watched Alien for the first time. It was pretty enjoyable. Some of the effects were a little dated, but overall I really liked the look of it all. Ron Cobb and John Mollo did some design work, which is probably why it reminded me so much of SW. Many plot elements were reused in the recent Clone Wars episode Brain Invaders, too.

El Chuxter
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Holy crap, dude, you consider yourself a serious student of film and haven't seen Alien until now? What about the superior sequel?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Holy crap, dude, you consider yourself a serious student of film and haven't seen Alien until now? What about the superior sequel?
I never said that I was a "serious student of film", just that I am literally a film student. :p And, no, I haven't seen the sequel. I'm at my sister's apartment in San Francisco and her boyfriend had the DVD, so I watched it while she was at work. I'll get Aliens when I start my Netflix up in a few weeks for sure. But excuse me for trying to watch Akira Kurosawa and Sergio Leone films before getting to these. :p

Anyway, tonight we saw The Science of Sleep. It was pretty visually interesting, and the dream sequences were often really well done.

Ando
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Bought Season 2 of Chuck last night and watched the first 2 episodes. I am so glad they're back early starting next Monday. That show makes the beginning of the work week so much easier to stomach.

Rocketboy
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Bought Season 2 of Chuck last night and watched the first 2 episodes. I am so glad they're back early starting next Monday. That show makes the beginning of the work week so much easier to stomach.Chuck is back on Sunday AND Monday!

sith_killer_99
01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I just watched "9" it was a pretty cool little flick!

Just started watching "The Tudors".

JimJamBonds
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Bought Season 2 of Chuck last night and watched the first 2 episodes. I am so glad they're back early starting next Monday. That show makes the beginning of the work week so much easier to stomach.

Any good bonus stuff on those discs?

Ando
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Any good bonus stuff on those discs?

Dunno. We haven't gotten to that point yet. We have cut down on our DVD purchases in the last few years. Right now we only buy what we KNOW we will rewatch, not necessarily just liked the first time we saw it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Last night I watched Bruno. I thought it was pretty funny and well done, about as good as Borat (they were very similar in style and structure). I'm not really sure why it didn't do so well at the box office - was there kind of a "been there, done that" attitude among people? Also, it was nice since, unlike with Borat, they didn't show every single joke on the commercials, so it actually felt like I was watching a movie for the first time instead of just piecing together stuff I'd already seen.

preacher
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Joost or Hulu has Captain America. Movie from the 90s that was direct to DVD.

Wow. I mean wow. I have never laughed so hard in my life. So bad.

OC47150
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I just watched Alien for the first time. It was pretty enjoyable. Some of the effects were a little dated, but overall I really liked the look of it all. Ron Cobb and John Mollo did some design work, which is probably why it reminded me so much of SW. Many plot elements were reused in the recent Clone Wars episode Brain Invaders, too.

I had the chance to see the director's cut of Alien on the big screen last spring. Great flick.

Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon and Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green. Classic black-and-white flicks with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Green and Holmes and Watson.

The Kingdom. I saw this in the theatre a couple of years ago, and picked up the DVD for real cheap the weekend before Christmas. I enjoyed it more this time.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
"I love you, Man"- Segel and Rudd's chemistry make this flick really hilarious and fun to watch. It does a pretty good job depicting a bromance with all the silliness, friendship, and yes, nicknames. Great flick! Rating- *** out of ****

:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I saw The Hangover last night and it was actually pretty "meh." Zach Galifianakis was consistently funny, but he always is. For most of the rest of it, it seemed like they came up with ideas that could have been funny, but it was pretty poorly executed so what was funny in concept wasn't funny in execution. I think. At any rate, it's nothing special.

OC47150
01-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls. The more I see this flick, the better I like it. The interdimensional aspect is a little hokey, but still an enjoyable flick.

Darth Metalmute
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Saw "Monsters Vs. Aliens" last night. Not a bad movie. I think I have to watch it again as I was constantly getting interupted.

I like "I Love You, Man" but I was a little disappointed. I was expecting it to be more funny than it was. I'm a huge fan of Segal and Rudd and thought they did a good job. Rudd's "Role Models" was one of the funniest movies I've seen.

preacher
01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Daybreakers - This had the potential to be an extremely cool Vampire movie. The high-tech environment in which the Vampires lived in was very cool. There was a lot of thought put into the world. Not so much in the story. It starts out strong. Ethan Hawke plays a hermatologist who is conducting research to find a blood substitute since real blood is rare and Vampires that don't get an occasional fix become these weird mutant vampires called Subsiders. The setup is really cool as you get to see a little bit of propaganda talking about humans. Bistros sell coffee with 20% human blood. Plasma screens with cameras on the top are used as a substitute for mirrors. Vampires don't sleep in coffins. Their entire aparment is a coffin. There are banners of Uncle Sam (who now has fangs) that say "We want you to hunt humans". Anyways...

A military branch is tasked with finding humans that remain and take them to the farms where they are connected to laboratory equipment similar to Matrix. Just when things get interesting, the plotline jumps the shark. Big time. And by doing so, strong characters are poorly written in the following acts and are replaced by weak unsympathetic characters that are basically fodder for the camera. The final act is an underwhelming bloodletting. This movie starts strong, but loses steam. The Vampires don't interact in the environment and so the world ceases to be interesting.

Sherlock Holmes - I enjoyed this quite a bit. There isn't nearly as much action as the trailers would have you believe. When there is action it doesn't seem intrusive. Downey and Law ease into their respective roles nearly effortlessly. Guy Richie's quirky directing style helped propel the story along, didn't seem gimmicky, and will keep you guessing.

Funny Games - This show really played with my head. Two kids target a family for some sadistic games where they use torture to force the family members to play. A lot of tension. Events don't play out the way you think they should nor in the way you hope. The duo sadists are lead by a creepy spoiled kid with knowledge of the "fourth wall". He interacts at times with the audience and manages to cheat his own misfortune because of this special gift.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-10-2010, 09:22 AM
"Michael Jackson's This Is It"- This documentary follows the months of preparation and rehearsals for what would've been MJ's final concert tour. And I gotta say, if this tour would've happened, it would've been pretty fantastic. It's a shame what happened to Jackson, but the film wisely avoids any negative press and concentrates on his dedication to his craft, his sense of humor, and his relationship with his fans and team of dancers, designers, etc. Many of Jackson's classics are here, including "Billie Jean," "Beat It," and "Thriller," which looks INCREDIBLE in how it would've been presented. My only gripe comes from that I would've liked a few moments with MJ talking about why he chose certain stage setups or designs; but as this wasn't the point of the film crew, it just didn't happen. That would've been great.

Regardless, "This is It" is really great film about a music icon that never got another shot. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

sith_killer_99
01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Last night I watched "American Virgin" it pretty much sucked, not exactly Rob Schneider's best work.:upset:

It did have a few funny moments, but overall the acting was bad, the plot was horrible and the character development was non-existent.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM
I just watched The Bridge on the River Kwai, which was pretty great. It was strange but fun to see Alec Guinness in a non-Obi-Wan role.

TeeEye7
01-10-2010, 05:36 PM
"What have I done?"

I love the way Obers delivers that line! :yes:

Slicker
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
After seeing that KH watched Tombstone and I commented on it I went home and watched it. I love that movie still.

Tycho
01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't get tired of Tombstone either, guys; a great movie.

I'm still finishing up The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Volume 2.

The mini-movie series really hit its stride in these episodes, and especially the episode where Young Indy meets Dr. Albert Schweitzer in Africa strikes home with me. Schweitzer talks about his life's philosophy, the reverence for life, and why he began what evolved into Doctors Without Borders. The man was a fantasic inspiration to Indy who sees the futility of the war effort, and leaves his infantry command to pursue work in the French Intelligence, hoping to stop World War One or at least ease the mounting casualties through effective espionage. Along the route, he meets Fokker (no, not the Ben Stiller character) but the Dutch guy who invented many of the first German fighter planes, who presents Indy with a very different philosophy - one that war is good for human progress.

Miracle
01-11-2010, 06:24 AM
The Notebook....I love it so much:)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm jealous you have those boxsets of Young Indy, Tycho. I've been eyeing all 3 of those for a while now, but they're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too expensive. I know the show might be "eh" at times (so I've read at least) but i'm a nut for historical documentaries and stuff and from what I understand, those boxsets are loaded with LOTS of docs and whatnot.

Tycho
01-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Guyute, the shows almost always very good and there are not only a lot of historical docs (I learned so much!) but the actors in Young Indy have now included:

Christopher Lee
Ian McDiarmid
Pernilla August
Catherine Zeta Jones

Amongst others. I could have sworn I saw Jason Bateman, but I didn't confirm it.

I just watched The Lost Battallion.

pbarnard
01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
The Plan...between bathing, changing and bringing baby to be fed. Interesting little tale with maybe a bit too much clips from the show, but enough new footage to make me want to add it to the DVD set (unlike Razor looking back since it was later included in 4.0 grrrr).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
"Where the Wild Things Are"- I am very happy to say that I am very pleased that I went into this film thinking it would be iffy, but I came out having enjoying it very much. It's a fun and interesting look at childhood and not only accepting who you are, but realizing how ones actions impact the lives of those around you. Max starts off highly obnoxious (I wanted him to get a whippin' with a belt), but through the wild things, realizes what his actions are doing to his family, as well as the things themselves.

The voice casting is great and Max Records is also pretty solid. I did really enjoy the SFX as the creatures look very much like the do in the books and they do look pretty realistic and not overly cartoony. I do have a few grips though. The first being that the film does drag as they just seem to do random stuff for plots sake. Also, why are the wild things so unhappy and angry? Why do they need a King to rule over them? They're wild for petes sake! Still, these issues don't take away from the film too much. Overall, very good flick. Rating- *** out of ****

Ji'dai
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Ambassador Spock’s failure to prevent the destruction of Romulus has major ramifications on the timeline in the fun 2009 science-fiction film Star Trek.

A special unit drops into occupied France to hunt and kill Nazi soldiers and winds up taking part in the decapitation of the Third Reich’s entire political high command in Quentin Tarantino’s 2009 war movie Inglourious Basterds.

Tycho
01-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I watched The Blue Max.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
"Zack and Miri Make a Porno"- Rogen and Banks are pretty interesting together and the film is pretty hilarious for 3/4 of the flick. It takes a predictable turn with the love story. I didn't enjoy this part as much as it's pretty obvious from the beginning and the film loses a lot of its humor at this point. Still, it's enjoyable for most of the time and the cameos at the beginning along with the 'Dawn of the Dead' references are hilarious. Rating- **1/2 out of ****

preacher
01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Watchmen - again.

Ok. I was pretty harsh when I first saw it in the theater last year and that stemmed from the fact I had an eleven year old with me. Which in and of itself stirred up quite a discussion on how the line R rating has been pushing the bounds of what should be acceptable. Last year I was adamant that Watchmen should have been NC-17. I still stand by that original assessment. I'm on travel by myself and now that I didn't have to worry that my daughter would see things I try to shield her from, I found the second outing far more enjoyable. Its worth watching, but very very adult.

TeeEye7
01-13-2010, 03:22 AM
I watched The Blue Max.

This is one of my favorite movies. However, I've always been uncomfortable with the casting of George Peppard as the lead character. It always seems weird that everyone was speaking with a German accent except him! He does OK, but I think someone else would have been more appropriate (Who? I'm not sure....but the really got it right with Ursula Andress!! What's not to like about the original "Bond Girl"?).

DarkArtist
01-13-2010, 07:15 AM
last night my wife and I went on a date night and saw Up in the Air. it was a good flick, very depressing at times as well as light-hearted humor. might even be in my opinion one of Clooney's best pics.

this was the first movie in a long time that actually left me with tears in my eyes as I exited the theater.

Ji'dai
01-13-2010, 07:50 AM
After Fidel Castro’s revolution, a gangster and his cartoonish crew transporting looted Cuban treasury gold are attacked by a weird sea monster in Roger Corman’s awful 1961 horror movie Creature from the Haunted Sea. The animated title sequence poking fun at life in a “banana republic” was the best part of the film.

Scientists band together to stop an evil colleague who has used a stolen corpse to create a monstrous automaton in order to destroy an awakened mummy in the banal 1958 Mexican horror movie The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy.

Tycho
01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
TeeEye7, I've watched The Blue Max a few times now and I like the job George Peppard does in it. I suppose I've gotten used to it. His arrogant character is the perfect prerequisite for him being cast as Colonel Smith on TV years later. "I love it when a plan comes together."

I've next watched Flyboys.

sith_killer_99
01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Watched "Halloween II" last night (Zombie style, Unrated version).

I have mixed feelings about the film, but enjoyed the film for the most part, certainly worth the price of purchase.

I think Rob Zombie could have used an original title and characters without messing with the Halloween franchise.

OC47150
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Watched "Halloween II" last night (Zombie style, Unrated version).

I have mixed feelings about the film, but enjoyed the film for the most part, certainly worth the price of purchase.

I think Rob Zombie could have used an original title and characters without messing with the Halloween franchise.

I agree, Sith Killer. I wanted to see Halloween 2 but glad I didn't pay theatre prices. I watched it twice before I had to return it. Between showings, I went to imdb.com and read some of the behind-the-scenes comments before watching it again. Some parts made more sense. But I'm still not a fan of Zombie's vision of Halloween. Give me the original any day.

I do want to see to see unrated director's cut, which I hear has a different ending.

Watched both of the Family Guy SW specials. I like the ANH version better. Had funnier parts to it.

Ji'dai
01-14-2010, 08:14 AM
A farm boy (Adrian Pasdar) is seduced and bitten by a pretty vampire and reluctantly joins her hostile “family” of nosferatu but can't bring himself to make his first kill in the okay 1987 horror film Near Dark. Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton play fellow undead.

During the siege of Tobruk, a British captain (Richard Burton) takes command of an all-Australian unit and leads them on commando raids against German forces under the command of Irwin Rommel (James Mason) in the rather enjoyable 1953 war movie The Desert Rats.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-14-2010, 10:22 AM
"Fantastic Mr. Fox"- One of 2009's best films. Wes Anderson and BFF screenwriting pal Noah Baumbach have adapted Dahl's work wonderfully as well as expanded on it. The film is incredibly funny, especially for adults ("this has been a clustercuss!") and the voice acting is spot on. I also loved the stopt motion animation which is crisp, colorful, and undeniably gorgeous. I can't really stress how amazing the animation really was and how I hope Anderson does more of this in the future, somehow. Pardon the pun: "fantastic" film. Rating- **** out of **** :thumbsup:

Tycho
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm watching The Adventrues of Young Indiana Jones volume 3.

This is much about the aftermath of World War I.

So much of the present-day conflicts were established out of the awful Treaty of Versailles:

Iraq
Iran
Israel - Pallestine
Syria
Afghanistan
Vietnam even

The colonialism of Western Europe was at fault for a majority of the problems in the world today (or all of them!).

As the western monarchies were overthrown, the democracies that replaced them were still blamed for the royals' and aristocrats' arrogrant attempts to exploit other peoples and other lands.

And if England hadn't caused enough trouble, the French attitude of entitlement after Germany attacked their sovereignty was way over the top. And all this time, and a second time after that, Germany was only trying to be just like France and England. US capitalism has grown almost as arrogant in more modern times.

Indiana Jones observed all of this as first an insider, and then an outside-objector. Great writing! Very relevant.

To understand current events, you must have an intimate knowledge of World War One. It was never really settled YET!!!

Darth Metalmute
01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I watched the 2009 Star Trek for the first time last night. I was planning to see it in the theaters but got ticked when I heard all the stuff about alternate reality. I should have gone. I really enjoyed it entirely. My wife even stayed up to watch it. The alternative reality situation makes since now. Time travel is defenately the way to re-tool a series.

Ah-em Spiderman, I'm looking at you.

OC47150
01-15-2010, 10:19 AM
A farm boy (Adrian Pasdar) is seduced and bitten by a pretty vampire and reluctantly joins her hostile “family” of nosferatu but can't bring himself to make his first kill in the okay 1987 horror film Near Dark. Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton play fellow undead.

An underrated 80s movie. And don't forget the underrated Jeanette Goldstein, Vasquez from Aliens, as one of the vampires.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Two new reviews!

"Up in the Air"- Another great 2009 flick; George Clooney is great as a man who fires people for a living, which creates a lonely, detatched existence from those around him. The supporting cast is great with Vera Farmiga as a fellow business woman, but it's Anna Kendrick as his new co-worker that steals every scene she's in. It's a funny flick that also has great elements of drama about the importance of change, strength, and hope. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

"The Road"- Near perfect adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's apocalyptic father/son tale. Viggo Mortensen does a great job as the father, protecting his son on their long journey across a desolate country in search of hope, carrying "the fire." Kodi Smit-McPhee is a solid newcomer as the son, attempting to understand how the world is around him. The cinematography is gorgeous and the landscape is wonderfully created (for, ya know, the apocalypse). My only gripe comes from the use of flashbacks dealing with the man's wife, played very well by Charlize Theron. I just felt they weren't too necessary after a certain point and could've been trimmed a little. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis also provide a terrific score, matching the brilliance of their score for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." It's a masterful piece of film that's very relevant, especially today. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

sith_killer_99
01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
With a serial killer terrorizing the city, local news anchor Jane Harris (Lauren Tewes) begins following clues that lead her to her own back door -- pointing to one of her neighbors as the culprit. Now, she must gather the evidence to support her theory before the killer can strike again in this film from the producers of Friday the 13th and co-starring Jennifer Jason Leigh (in one of her first roles) as Jane's disabled sister, in the really bad 1981 "Eyes of a Stranger".

Ji'dai
01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
An underrated 80s movie. And don't forget the underrated Jeanette Goldstein, Vasquez from Aliens, as one of the vampires. When I saw that Paxton, Henriksen, and Goldstein were in it I thought maybe James Cameron directed. All three are Cameron regulars, although I think Paxton holds the crown for most appearances, going all the way back to the first Terminator. Goldstein appeared in T2.
--

Ignoring warnings, the financier of an archaeological dig takes his prize mummy and the treasure on the road to make a quick buck until the corpse returns to life to take revenge on those who opened his crypt in the okay 1964 Hammer horror film The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb.

Socialist newsman John Reed (Warren Beatty) has a tumultuous affair with married writer Louise Bryant (Diane Keaton) and the two later become eye witnesses to the 1917 Russian Revolution and its aftermath in the okay 1981 epic Reds. Features Jack Nicholson as playwright Eugene O’Neill.

Tycho
01-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Socialist newsman John Reed (Warren Beatty) has a tumultuous affair with married writer Louise Bryant (Diane Keaton) and the two later become eye witnesses to the 1917 Russian Revolution and its aftermath in the okay 1981 epic Reds. Features Jack Nicholson as playwright Eugene O’Neill.

French Intelligence Officer Henry Defonse (Indiana Jones) has a tumultuous affair with pretty single Russian girl Rosie and the two later become eyewitnesses to the 1917 Russian Revolution and its aftermath in the awesome 1990's Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. :D

Actually, that was in Volume 2, and I'm watching Volume 3 as Indy returns to the United States and confronts racial prejudice while he indulges in his exploration of jazz music while at the University of Chicago.

Elliott Ness of the Untouchables is his college roommate, and Ernest Hemmingway is a Chicago Tribune reporter that Indy had befriended during the War. Together they try and solve the historic murder of Indy's boss at the restaurant he works as a waiter, only to discover their prime suspect for the killer is Al Capone! The gang wars erupt in Chicago while Louis Armstrong plays jazz like noneother, and then delves into the blues, as prohibition takes its foothold in United States History.

Meanwhile, Harrison Ford gueststars as the older Indy (post Last Crusade, pre-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) and recounts the adventure while trapped in another adventure of his own.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
To understand current events, you must have an intimate knowledge of World War One. It was never really settled YET!!!Well, when you start out as "World War I," you have to expect one sequel... ;)

Rocketboy
01-15-2010, 10:37 PM
"Up in the Air"
"The Road"Looking forward to seeing both.
Reading the book Up In The Air now, but the movie deviates quite a bit apparently.

Read The Road a while ago and loved it, but it looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD to see this one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I just watched Vertigo, and I thought it was great. It was either the restoration or the fact that it was shot in VistaVision or a combination of the two, but it looked astoundingly beautiful all the way through. The story was really interesting and full of strange turns. It was probably the favorite of the Hitchcock films I've seen (which includes The Birds, Psycho, North By Northwest, and Rear Window; I have Notorious on the DVR, so that'll be sometime relatively soon).

sith_killer_99
01-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, when you start out as "World War I," you have to expect one sequel... ;)

It was originally called the "Great War", "World War" and/or, the "War to End All Wars".:p

Tycho
01-16-2010, 06:06 AM
I just watched Legends of the Fall which also takes place during The Great War period.

Legends of the Fall is a really great movie and James Horner did the incredible music score. You can hear the "Glory" in it ;) as well as some western music influence.

The World War One sequence is done brilliantly and the movie traces the years 1913 - 1921 (mostly) and also covers Prohibition.

My own novel has some of this movie's feel to it.

Ji'dai
01-16-2010, 08:12 AM
A deep-sea salvage crew discovers several crystal triangles that unlock the gates of a long-lost civilization in the 2010 animated LEGO short Atlantis. Not a bad film for being not much more than a 30-minute toy commercial. It does feature nearly all the toys released in the new LEGO theme.

A journalist and his doctor pal’s investigation into the murder of an actress leads them to a scientist who has reanimated the dead, among whom includes a doctor (Humphrey Bogart) electrocuted for the death of a child and who now needs blood in order to stay alive in the excellent 1939 horror movie The Return of Doctor X.

Members of the motorcycle gang “The Living Dead” wreak havoc after using black magic to return from death stronger and practically invulnerable in the watchable 1971 horror flick Psychomania.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Looking forward to seeing both.
Reading the book Up In The Air now, but the movie deviates quite a bit apparently.

Read The Road a while ago and loved it, but it looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD to see this one.

I've never read "up in the air" but I think you'll enjoy the movie. It's really good. And I LOVED "The Road" as well. It deviates a bit too, mainly with the flashbacks and the lack of detail in a certain grisly basement scene (at least give me a bloody onesie!), but it's a terrific film. I had some snooty nerd movie buff friends who were like "it's tedious." Yeah, that's part of it: a long hard journey to possible hope and safety. Duh! :crazed:

two more:

"The Lovely Bones"- Peter Jackson's film version of the novel (which I haven't read) has some high points, but ultimately has too many issues to keep it from being great. The high points involve fantastic performances from Saoirse Ronan, Mark Wahlberg, and Stanley Tucci. Ronan is really good as Susie Salmon, a 14 year old who is raped and murdered and continues to observe the world, including her killer, from a sort of purgatory (that she chooses mind you) between heaven and earth.

The problems arise when Jackson's transitions from scene to scene don't really make sense or have any reason; how much time has passed by the time the movie ends? Why is Susie's new world just made up of trees and oceans? Granted, it is beautiful, but if her purgatory is that gorgeous, I would think she'd want to let go of her pain and move into heaven. There's just too much unexplained here. Still, Ronan does a superb job and Wahlberg and Tucci are awesome, especially Tucci who is undeniably creepy. Sadly, the movie could've been much better if Jackson had created a more cohesive narrative. Rating- **1/2 out of ****

"Precious"- I wasn't sure what to expect watching this flick, but I have to say that it packs an emotional punch rarely seen in films today. Newcomer Gabourey Sibide is really amazing as Precious, an illiterate 16 year old girl, and rape victim, attempting to make it in a world that is stacked against her. Mo'Nique is just insane though, giving a tour-de-force performance that just knocked me (and Precious!) and my ***. She's such a negative prescence that wants to keep her daughter down for her own reasons and we can't help but root for this young girl who wants to escape (and does so, via her dreams throughout the film).

The supporting cast is, for the most part, great. Paula Patton does a great job as her teacher and even Lenny Kravitz does a solid job for the few scenes he's in, which are actually pretty funny scenes at times. Mariah Carey does a far better job than what she did in "Glitter", but I just thought she was too jittery, too stale, as if she was making a mental note to "act now!" or "move arms now!" rather than just doing it, and being natural. I also wasn't sure about the ending as it's a mixed bag of tricks and I could see both good and bad out of it. Still, the film is incredibly tense, moving, and uplifting. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

Rocketboy
01-16-2010, 03:08 PM
"The Lovely Bones"Which is the book I finished right before starting Up In The Air.
Great book, but I've heard nothing buy terrible about the movie, so I'll be skipping the theater and just rent it on DVD. Too bad.

Ji'dai
01-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Another lazy Saturday afternoon at the movies (from my couch):

A swinging med school student seduces and weds the square daughter (Karin Mossberg) of a recently deceased financier and uses LSD to drive the girl’s stepmother (Lana Turner) insane in order to speed up the inheritance in the odd 1969 drama The Big Cube.

A woman enlists the aid of a womanizing archaeologist to help her find the tomb of the first Christian Pharaoh in the okay 1954 action adventure film The Valley of the Kings.

Tycho
01-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Tonight I watched The Color Purple.

Old Fossil
01-17-2010, 09:58 AM
I watched "Franklyn." It has Ryan Philippe, Bernard Hill, and that gorgeous girl from "Casino Royale" (Bond's love interest). It was one of the most original films I've seen in a long, long time. A British film, I think. Quite remarkable. Sort of a psychological/dark fantasy/suspense thing.

Ji'dai
01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Stayed up late last night watching this one:

Cheated out of plunder and driven from the city by their duplicitous lord, a band of medieval soldiers kidnap their former liege’s son’s intended bride (Jennifer Jason Leigh completely nude!) and take over a neighboring castle in Paul Verhoeven’s entertaining 1985 action adventure Flesh+Blood. Rutger Hauer plays the leader of the soldiers and Ronald Lacey (Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark) plays the group’s cardinal. Also features Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson) in a small role as Leigh‘s lustful lady-in-waiting.

And today:

A quartet of sequined-jump-suit wearing motorcycle mommas on custom trikes quarrels with clumsy white cops and brings down a wealthy restaurateur and his buffoonish Klan army in the god-awful 1975 blaxploitation action adventure film Darktown Strutters.

A journalist investigating the occult helps a wealthy widow (Angie Dickinson) escape her dead husband, who has returned from the grave with an appetite for human blood in the 1973 made-for-TV horror movie The Norliss Tapes. Claude Akins plays the local sheriff.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
It was originally called the "Great War", "World War" and/or, the "War to End All Wars".:pMy point. I knew about those names. It'd be like buying a coin labeled "44 B.C.," which was a way Encyclopedia Brown knew a "rare" find was a fake. :yes:

sith_killer_99
01-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Just finished watching "Moon"!:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Just finished The Hurt Locker, which was just as gripping and intense as I heard it was.

Just finished watching "Moon"!:thumbsup:Planning on watching that very soon.

Ji'dai
01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
The forbidden love affair between the first human/werewolf and the daughter (Rhona Mitra) of the vampire leader (Bill Nighy) sets the stage for a full-scale werewolf revolt against nosferatu rule in 2009’s okay scary movie Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.

Tycho
01-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I watched "The Untouchables."

Ando
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Over the weekend I watched:

- The Season 8 premeire of 24.

- Big Love.

- Part of Stripes and part of Spies Like Us (which only made me want to watch a new episode of Chuck).

OC47150
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Avatar. In 3D!!! I enjoyed it, but left the theatre with a headache from the 3D effects. The visual effects were amazing, and the story, in some spots, was original. I do think it could've been trimmed down a bit.

Ji'dai
01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
An ex-pat Irish explosive expert (James Coburn) and a Mexican bandit (Rod Steiger) reluctantly find themselves embroiled in the Mexican revolution in Sergio Leone’s watchable 1971 western A Fistful of Dynamite (aka Duck, You Sucker).

Professor Broom’s hunch that there is more to the routine haunting the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense is engaged to investigate is soon proved true when followers of the “Blood Queen” Elizabeth Bathory attempt to return her to the flesh with the help of the goddess Hecate in the fine 2007 film Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron. Features voice work by Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, and John Hurt.

Tycho
01-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I watched Public Enemies!

This is a MUST-SEE! (and the music is great)

Johnny Depp as outlaw bank-robber John Dillinger in 1930's gangster Chicago, Depression Era, is seen as a hero to the people, as he gives bank customers their money back while ripping off the fat-cats with deadly terror tactics and a pattern of taking hostages and shooting it out with the police.

His hot girlfriend (I think she might have been a Bond-girl, but she's very fine in that same niche).

Christian Bale as Special Agent Melvin Purvis, the first Director of the FBI's Chicago field office, under FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover - President Rooseveldt's pick to destroy the mob in domestic USA.

This is Al Capone's era, though he's being shut-down at this point, and the next wave of crime-bosses are vying for power over Chicago.

Stephen Lang also stars as a quick-to-shoot-with-deadly-accuracy Texas lawman recruited by the FBI to take down Dillinger by any means, when Bale's Purvis character takes the gloves off.

A true story. A lot of action and gun fights and a great car chase with tommyguns blazing.

Johnny Depp is amazing and the story's told mostly from the Outlaw's point-of-view!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
"Away We Go"- Very enjoyable flick about a couple (Maya Rudolph, John Krasinski) that are expecting their first child. The two decide to visit friends around North America in the hopes of finding a place to raise their first child, but along the way they realize there might be rougher road ahead of them that they expect. Rudolph and Krasinski have a great chemistry together and it's obvious that their characters are really in love with each other and want to make it. It has some really great dramatic parts and a few scenes that are really funny. Great film! Rating- *** out of ****

JimJamBonds
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I watched Public Enemies!

This is a MUST-SEE! (and the music is great)

I haven't seen PE yet, parts of it was filmed in my (general) neck of the woods ie. Northeastern Wisconsin.

Tycho
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I haven't seen [Public Enemies] yet, parts of it was filmed in my (general) neck of the woods ie. Northeastern Wisconsin.

Be thankful they weren't always using live ammunition. Though I think with the actors out of the way for the filming part, they could have.

They certainly shot up some antique classic cars, too - and some of your trees.

These movies have to be made with real firearms for some parts for sure.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-20-2010, 06:59 AM
"A Serious Man"- A fantastic black comedy/drama about a man trying to find the meaning of his sudden punishment that seems to be destroying his life. Stuhlbarg is a great protagonist in that he seems nice enough, but can't seem to spout any courage and take control of his life. The supporting cast is fantastic too and it's great how the Coens destroy the illusion of the surburban life. There's also a great use of a particular song that meshes very well with the story. Awesome film! Rating- **** out of ****

"Session 9"- Really solid thriller about a group of guys who are sent in to clean the abestos out of an old mental hospital. Things start to go bad for the crew when each one of the men begin to battle their own demons and realize that they might not be too far removed from the patients that once spent time there. "Session 9" does as great job of creating a very spooky atmosphere and building tension. It took me a bit to digest the ending and I think the film will benefit from a second viewing, but overall, I liked it. Rating- *** out of ****

Ji'dai
01-20-2010, 07:21 AM
A missing truck filled with groceries leads one woman to suspect that her brother, a former colonel turned into a towering giant by radiation exposure, has survived his last encounter with the military and must be found in the 1958 science fiction sequel to The Amazing Colossal Man, War of the Colossal Beast.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-20-2010, 07:37 AM
A missing truck filled with groceries leads one woman to suspect that her brother, a former colonel turned into a towering giant by radiation exposure, has survived his last encounter with the military and must be found in the 1958 science fiction sequel to The Amazing Colossal Man, War of the Colossal Beast.

lol That movie is also one of my favorite MST3K episodes. Hysterical riffing! :thumbsup:

Tycho
01-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2010, 12:44 PM
As my first Netflix movie, I watched American Movie yesterday and loved it. A very well made film about extremely interesting people. Maybe it was more interesting to me as a film student, but I highly recommend it.

Darth Metalmute
01-20-2010, 05:51 PM
As my first Netflix movie, I watched American Movie yesterday and loved it. A very well made film about extremely interesting people. Maybe it was more interesting to me as a film student, but I highly recommend it.

You should enjoy Netflix. I have 100 movies on my 360 set up, including the first three seasons of 30 Rock. All the movies I have seen recently have come from Netflix.

Including the new Harry Potter movie I saw last night.

Slicker
01-20-2010, 09:18 PM
I watched Disturbia last night. I couldn't think of anything and since it was before bed I picked a relatively short movie. I still like it but a few people I've talked to don't. Meh.

DarthQuack
01-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Revenge of the Nerds II is going in the DVD player tonight! :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
01-21-2010, 07:43 AM
lol That movie is also one of my favorite MST3K episodes. Hysterical riffing! :thumbsup: I wish those season sets weren't so expensive or I'd collect them. It would be nice to see this series back on the air even if only in reruns.

---

A wealthy businessman hires four men of varying specialties (Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Woody Strode, & Robert Ryan) to bring back his wife (Claudia Cardinale) after she is kidnapped by a Mexican revolutionary-turned bandito (Jack Palance) in the truly excellent 1966 western The Professionals.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-21-2010, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=Ji'dai;714001]I wish those season sets weren't so expensive or I'd collect them. It would be nice to see this series back on the air even if only in reruns.

They are usually just best of/favorite box sets; seasons will never happen for the show, sadly. I know there are places online where you can buy seasons for 200 bucks or something like that.

Tycho
01-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I think it's time to re-cast Indiana Jones and make a new movie series set during World War II.

Young Indy is WWI.

Raiders / Last Crusade take place in the late 1930's before the US entered the War in 1941.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull takes place during the early 1950's I think - I have to check.

They are planning to do Indy 5 with Harrison Ford, which will presumably take place after Crystal Skull and also feature Mutt Williams (Shia LeBouf).

A "new Harrison Ford" should be found (just like with James Bond) and Indy's WWII exploits could be covered. Since he's been all over Europe and Africa for WWI, I think he could serve in the South Pacific versus Japan a little in WWII. It's a possibility to have a different enemy other than the Germans.

Short Round could return as an adult, possibly (though he's Chinese).

I don't know who I'd re-cast as Indy, but he's been played by:

a kid
Sean Patrick Flannery
River Phoenix in flashback
Harrison Ford

They could always keep Jones moving against the Russians in the 1960's with Harrison Ford as well. William Shatner played Kirk in action movies during his character's 50's and 60's.

But we need more Jones!

indyjones1981
01-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I think it's time to re-cast Indiana Jones and make a new movie series set during World War II.

Young Indy is WWI.

Raiders / Last Crusade take place in the late 1930's before the US entered the War in 1941.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull takes place during the early 1950's I think - I have to check.

They are planning to do Indy 5 with Harrison Ford, which will presumably take place after Crystal Skull and also feature Mutt Williams (Shia LeBouf).

A "new Harrison Ford" should be found (just like with James Bond) and Indy's WWII exploits could be covered. Since he's been all over Europe and Africa for WWI, I think he could serve in the South Pacific versus Japan a little in WWII. It's a possibility to have a different enemy other than the Germans.

I don't know who I'd re-cast as Indy, but he's been played by:

a kid
Sean Patrick Flannery
River Phoenix in flashback
Harrison Ford

They could always keep Jones moving against the Russians in the 1960's with Harrison Ford as well. William Shatner played Kirk in action movies during his character's 50's and 60's.

But we need more Jones!

Tyco good post. Corey Carrier played the kid indy in the TV show and George Hall was the actor who played "old" indy. So 5 different actors have played indy. 2 in the movies and 3 for TV. But we ALL know the only true Indy is HARRISON FORD and no one else!!!

Rocketboy
01-21-2010, 02:51 PM
A new Indy on the big screen?
No thanks.
Can't be done.
Indy isn't James Bond.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
You should enjoy Netflix. I have 100 movies on my 360 set up, including the first three seasons of 30 Rock. All the movies I have seen recently have come from Netflix.

Including the new Harry Potter movie I saw last night.
Yeah, I'm liking it a lot. I got Aliens in the mail yesterday and watched it. It was even better than the original in several different ways, so that was cool. Right now, I have 158 DVDs in my queue, so I have some catching up to do. :D

Darth Metalmute
01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Right now, I have 158 DVDs in my queue, so I have some catching up to do. :D

Whats nice is that turn around is quick. I can get 5 new movies every two weeks if I watch them when I get them.

Slicker
01-21-2010, 09:08 PM

That could work since the Japanese had more troops facing the Chinese than they had against us.

I bought and watched Angels and Demons last night. It was a good movie...if I hadn't already watched the book. I can understand a movie making a dull part of a book into an action part but this movie took the really good plot twist and action of the end of the book and made it very ho-hum. I can't even begin to say how horribly they did it. Even the final ambiagram was wrong! Grr...

I also bought Taking Chance. I've watched it before but it's really good. It's an HBO movie with Kevin Bacon. He plays an officer escorting the body of a Marine all the way across America and to his final resting place. It'll make you cry. Guaranteed.

Tycho
01-22-2010, 02:55 AM
I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

After seeing all three original Indiana Jones movies pretty much back-to-back over the last few days, I've got some desire to look at the toylines again (which I did not collect).

Of it all, I'd consider:

3 3/4" Indiana on his white horse, chasing a mobile collumn of the truck carrying the Lost Ark and several jeeps, the motorcylces, and Belloq's car, with a lot of German soliders for him to be set up fighting against.

12" (Hot Toys I guess) Indiana and Henry Jones - hopefully on a motorcycle with a sidecar.

The only other really good fight you could do with 12" is if they made a Mola Ram figure, versus a battle-ravaged Indiana from Temple of Doom.

I don't have Indy toys, but I understand JediTricks has bought the pieces to make the Pursuit of the Lost Ark diorama with 3 3/4". I'd love to see pictures of that!

Ji'dai
01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
After his kid brother is killed by a crooked county sheriff (Ned Beatty), incarcerated moonshine runner Gator McKlusky (Burt Reynolds) agrees to help the feds build a case against the lawman in exchange for early release but once freed is soon forced to take the law into his own hands in the fun 1973 action adventure White Lightning. Features a recognizable film score by Charles Bernstein, later used by Quentin Tarantino in Kill Bill, Vol. 1.

Ji'dai
01-23-2010, 09:52 AM
A group of burlap-clad mechanical dolls imbued with parts of their human creator’s soul awaken in a future devoid of humanity and ruled by war machines in the excellent 2009 animated feature 9. Features voice work by Elijah Wood, Crispin Glover, Jennifer Connelly, and Tom Kane (the voice of Yoda in Star Wars: The Clone Wars).

An eager administrator of a corporation overseeing the forced relocation of a large population of stranded alien refugees in South Africa inadvertently comes into contact with an alien fuel canister that causes him to begin to change into one of them in the fantastic 2009 science fiction film District 9. Now a pariah among humans and hunted by his employer due to his new-found ability to use alien bio-weaponry, the addled bureaucrat enlists the aid of the alien who developed the fuel canister, which can power their spacecraft and enable them to leave Earth.

Tycho
01-24-2010, 03:20 AM
I watched Pearl Harbor.

Fearing the United States could stop the expansion of the Japanese Empire over China and Southeast Asia, the Japanese decide to attack and attempt to destroy the bulk of the US Navy and Army Airforce stationed in Honolulu, Hawaii.

On December 7th, 1941, the largest miitary assault on US soil struck hard and tragically for our men and women in uniform. President Rooseveldt and the United States Congress unanymously declared war on Japan and Germany immediately afterward, signalling the start of World War II for America.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-24-2010, 08:52 AM
"Halloween II"- (this is for the unrated director's cut): I liked Rob Zombie's original as it brought a new idea to the table, but this sequel is just awful. I don't get why everybody in Zombie's world is awful and deplorable while his environment is always dirty and dingy. The plot was all over the place and i really think that Zombie believes the more gore he puts into a film, the more "shocking" it will be. Lastly, the ending........pretty much kind of a rip off from "Halloween 4." Just pure crap. Rating- * out of **** :thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
01-24-2010, 11:33 AM
I watched the first episodes of Monty Pythons Flying Circus and Star Trek on Netflix. Maybe someone can help me. Does Monty Python ever get, oh I don't know, funny? I typically laugh at everything yet did nothing but maybe chuckle once. If it doesn't get funny, I'm going to just delete it instead of wrenching through 44 more episodes.

I saw The Even Stevens Movie. How did Shia Lebeouf get out of the typical Disney for life contract? And what ever happened to Christy Carlson Romano? She had a good singing voice, and was pretty enough, but Disney didn't exploit her like they do most of their talent. Maybe the Lohan debacle cost more than Lindsey a decent career.

Ji'dai
01-24-2010, 12:37 PM
With the help of the son he never knew he had (Shia LaBeouf), archaeologist Henry Jones, Jr. (Harrison Ford) is betrayed by a turncoat (Ray Winstone) and matches wits with a Communist Russian agent (Cate Blanchett) and her commando unit in a race to return a fabled crystal skull to a legendary lost city, enabling the inter-dimensional beings entombed there to return to their place of origin in the watchable 2008 fantasy adventure film Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Having become a fan of 50's science fiction films in the past few years, I've come to appreciate this latest Indiana Jones installment a little more.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
I watched Notorious last night (the Hitchcock one, not the Biggie one :p ). I had wanted to see it since I heard that The Clone Wars episode "Senate Spy" had essentially the same plot, which was true, so it was fun to see where they got their inspiration from (aka what they ripped off :D ). It was also a good movie in its own right, of course.

OC47150
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Our Man Flint (1966). James Coburn is 60s ZOWIE secret agent Derek Flint recruited to save the world. Hey, if it weren't for Derek Flint, we wouldn't have Austin Powers.

Slicker
01-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I watched Gamer. It was rather horrible. I reminded me of Death Race (which I liked) but without cars...and without anything good about it...except for some boobies. I like boobies.

Tycho
01-25-2010, 03:46 AM
I watched The Battle of Britain.

A lot of the combat footage from The Battle of Yavin (1st Death Star) mimics this film almost exactly. I wonder if George Lucas had this movie on his mind.

The outnumbered English flew Spitfires against the Nazi Stukas (spelling) in a duel over the English Channel, with the Brits goals being to defend their radar installations and protect London.

Desperate for pilots, the English enlisted Czechs, Poles, Canadians, and Americans into their squadrons.

Over 4 years they shot down the Germans at the rate of 4 of theirs for every 1 RAF pilot lost.

The duel in the sky is pretty impressive to watch even if the film is somewhat dated and has that 1960's feel to it, with 1950's archetype characters.

Ji'dai
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM

A lot of the combat footage from The Battle of Yavin (1st Death Star) mimics this film almost exactly. I wonder if George Lucas had this movie on his mind. When Lucas returned from shooting principle photography in England he found that ILM had spent tons of money trying to do the special effects shots for the Battle of Yavin and nearly all of them were crap. He had to take control and used archival footage of aerial combat from WWII to show ILM what he wanted. It's all in that fantastic A&E documentary "Empire of Dreams" that was included with the '04 DVD release.

--

A Jewish concentration camp survivor-turned Nazi hunter (Laurence Olivier) discovers a plot by Dr. Josef Mengele (Gregory Peck) to assassinate 94 men worldwide - all of whom have identical sons with more than a passing resemblance to Adolf Hitler - in the 1978 thriller The Boys from Brazil. Steve Guttenberg plays an amateur Nazi-hunter who first learns of Mengele’s plans and Denholm Elliott (Marcus Brody in Raiders of the Lost Ark) plays a Reuters newsman.

A NASA flight chief (Gregory Peck) reluctantly launches a risky rescue mission to retrieve three stranded astronauts in orbit before they run out of oxygen in the watchable 1969 sci-fi thriller Marooned. Richard Crenna and Gene Hackman play two of the stranded astronauts. This film, directed by John Sturges, was released just four months before the ill-fated Apollo 13 lunar mission.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I saw Stop Making Sense, the Talking Heads concert film, last night. It was pretty incredible. I was surprised, though, that David Byrne only wore the famous big suit for one song before taking off the jacket. Since it's become so iconic, I was expecting to see it more. Either way, it was great.

Slicker
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM

A lot of the combat footage from The Battle of Yavin (1st Death Star) mimics this film almost exactly. I wonder if George Lucas had this movie on his mind.

The outnumbered English flew Spitfires against the Nazi Stukas (spelling) in a duel over the English Channel, with the Brits goals being to defend their radar installations and protect London.

Desperate for pilots, the English enlisted Czechs, Poles, Canadians, and Americans into their squadrons.

Over 4 years they shot down the Germans at the rate of 4 of theirs for every 1 RAF pilot lost.

The duel in the sky is pretty impressive to watch even if the film is somewhat dated and has that 1960's feel to it, with 1950's archetype characters.The Battle of Britain lasted 4 years?!?!?! ;)

The 4:1 ratio is typical of early history. Most revised histories put the numbers on an almost parallel ground or give the British a slight advantage in the ratio. Much like most everything in the war the Germans came within literally days of "winning" the battle. Much like just a week or so more and they would've gotten Moscow and if they'd started the drive for Stalingrad earlier they would've captured. Thankfully the Germans were always late. Perhaps it was the daylight savings...

Blue2th
01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
...yup we could possibly all be speaking German if it wasn't for those Brits.

Dark Blue World story of 2 Czech pilots who escape the German occupation and fight in the RAF, fall in love with the same girl....tragedy ensues. Great story with some planes in there too.

Darth Duranium
01-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Tea and sauerkraut? No, danke! But if Edward VIII had remained King, it's very likely England would have played ball with the Fatherland. He was such a schmuck.

Just saw The Fantastic Mr. Fox and just loved it... just hilarious, surprisingly poignant, and it was done beautifully. Maybe the best film of 2009. Certainly the best thing I've seen in ages.
An animated flick for adults, though kids will probably like it too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Just saw The Fantastic Mr. Fox and just loved it... just hilarious, surprisingly poignant, and it was done beautifully. Maybe the best film of 2009. Certainly the best thing I've seen in ages.
An animated flick for adults, though kids will probably like it too.

I loved the bajesus out of this flick, SO SO MUCH. The animation was just, well, beautiful, downright stunning actually and the story was fantastic. It was funny, moving, and an all around fantastic film. plus, my fiance and I have been walking around saying "cuss" quite a bit too. hehee :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
After his partner shoots him and takes his share of a heist, a thief (Lee Marvin) recovers to hunt the man down and takes on the organized crime syndicate that shelters him in John Boorman’s okay 1967 action film Point Blank. Angie Dickinson, Keenan Wynn, and Carroll O’Connor co-star. Also features Sid “Captain Spaulding” Haig in a bit role as hired muscle. The 1999 Mel Gibson film Payback is a remake of this movie.

A series of gruesome murders and freak accidents at a church-owned property leads a young minister to discover that the site is still haunted by a witch the church attempted to destroy four centuries before in the terrible 1985 horror movie Superstition.

Tycho
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I watched U-571. This has to be the best submarine battle movie ever made! I've owned this film for many years now, but I am always gripped by it and on the edge of my seat when I watch it.

The Navy has to disguise one of our old subs as a Nazi ship and board and capture another sub, a real Nazi sub, on the high seas. Their objective is a decoder device that will allow them to spy on the German High Command.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I just watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch since a friend wanted to. I saw it last year at a screening followed by a Q&A with John Cameron Mitchell (but you already knew that thanks to this thread). Still a really good film.

sith_killer_99
01-26-2010, 10:52 PM
I just finished "Saw VI" it did not disappoint, one of the better Saw films to date.:thumbsup:

Two and three are the weaker films in the series.:upset:

Wonder if VII will be a flop, they decided to go with a 3D version, so I predict it will in fact suck.:upset:

Rocketboy
01-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I just watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch since a friend wanted to. I saw it last year at a screening followed by a Q&A with John Cameron Mitchell (but you already knew that thanks to this thread). Still a really good film.Love Hedwig. I've been meaning to watch it (along with Shortbus) again for a while now.

I'm still very jealous you got to go to the JCM Q&A.

Ji'dai
01-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Scientists and government agents conduct a furious manhunt for a woman carrying an alien pathogen in the fine 1958 science fiction film Space Master X-7. Three Stooges alum Moe Howard makes the most of his role as a cab driver who gives the woman a lift.

Tycho
01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I watched Schindler's List.

sonofsokol
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
My wife and i watched Juno last night. We got 2 siamese kittens (a brother and sister from the same litter) around the time this movie was released and we named them Juno and Bleeker.

JimJamBonds
01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Strange Wilderness... dang that sucked.

Tycho
01-28-2010, 06:45 AM
I watched Defiance - one of my favorite movies!

Ji'dai
01-28-2010, 08:24 AM
A nuclear sub captain (Rock Hudson) ferries a British agent, a Russian scientist (Ernest Borgnine), and a contingent of US Marines and their commander (Jim Brown) to the North Pole to rescue the survivors at a remote polar research center and recover a Soviet spy satellite before the Russians do in John Sturges’ watchable 1968 Cold War thriller Ice Station Zebra.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-28-2010, 01:30 PM
"Cold Souls"- Interesting but difficult film about an actor named Paul Giamatti (played very well by.....Paul Giamatti) who decides to store his soul as it's weighing down his professional and personal life too much. He begins to understand the error of his ways when he loses his humanity, but getting it back will be difficult.

I liked parts of the film; it has some great comedic moments and the concept is pretty solid: soul searching, literally. But I just felt detached and cold during most of the movie. I don't get why he's so upset with his life that he has to detach his soul. I did enjoy the climax of the film as it tied things together and brought new details to light, but the flick is just too disjointed for my taste. Rating- **1/2 out of **** :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2010, 07:04 PM
I watched Beetlejuice last night. I'd seen most of it on TV before - in fact, I'm relatively sure I've seen all of it before - but I don't think I'd ever sat down specifically to watch it. And this time my friend was talking the whole damn time, so it was less than the optimal viewing experience. Still, I like it a lot.

Tycho
01-29-2010, 02:13 AM
I watched Valkyrie.

I've seen it twice now. I really enjoy this suspense thriller as rebelling German officers turn against Adolf Hitler and attempt to assasinate the NAZI leader in 1944.

It is the true story of one of 15 recorded attempts on Hitler's life.

Ji'dai
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
During the Second World War, a British agent (Richard Burton) leads an US Army Ranger (Clint Eastwood) and a team of commandos on an operation to infiltrate a German stronghold and liberate an American general held prisoner in a fortified castle there in the excellent 1969 war movie Where Eagles Dare.

JimJamBonds
01-29-2010, 06:05 PM
It is the true story of one of 15 recorded attempts on Hitler's life.

15!?!?!?! I didn't know there were THAT many!

Tycho
01-30-2010, 12:47 AM
15!?!?!?! I didn't know there were THAT many!

I thought I gleaned that fact from either the movie, or something I looked up on Wikipedia. Am I mistaken?

jonthejedi
01-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Just watched the 70's The Eagle Has Landed on HDNet...starring Robert Duvall, Donald Pleasance, Michael Caine(all playing Germans) & Donald Sutherland(stole the movie; like he did in Kelly's Heroes as Oddball). The movie, I think, is pure fiction from a Jack Higgins novel about a covert German paratroop drop onto the English coast to kidnap Winston Churchill(who is mentioned as being the least protected of all the world leaders during WWII. Also redboxed Paranormal Activity(did nothing for me), Surrogates(waste of 89 minutes...too much like I, Robot), Inglorious Basterds(too arty in places, even for QT...is this a comedy or a drama...not the Dirty Dozen type flick I expected) & my favorite MOON...starring the always great Sam Rockwell & Kevin Spacey as the voice of...well, you have to check it out.

Tycho
01-30-2010, 05:44 AM
I'm going to be watching Basterds soon. It's in the cue.

I watched Saving Private Ryan tonight.

Excellent movie. The beach landing guys must be respected!

I know the 101st and the 82nd Airborne take a lot of the glory. I'll be watching them too soon enough.

jonthejedi
01-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Let's face it...Ryan didn't pull any punches when it came to the horror of Omaha Beach...not the glorified "c'mon boys!" most WWII movies depicted in my childhood memories.

sith_killer_99
01-30-2010, 01:03 PM
I just watched "Superman Red Son" motion comics, I downloaded it on iTunes.:thumbsup:

I like the style and format but found the episodes to be too short, which would be fine except for the fact that they do opening and closing credits and music every 2-3 minutes. :sad:

I would love to see them do the entire series straight through.:yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I watched Psycho last night, which was the second time I'd seen it. The friend I watched it with had NO idea what was coming; she knew someone was going to get stabbed, but she somehow didn't know one of the most famous scenes in film history. Anyway, as Hitchcock's attempt to play the audience like a fiddle, it certainly worked. (And I heard about the superimposition at the end, but hadn't noticed it last time - that was just damn creepy.)

Ji'dai
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Started this one Thursday and finished it Friday evening...

A wealthy businessman (Frank Langella) with a desire to summon the devil and achieve immortality hires a rare book expert (Johnny Depp) to examine the three surviving copies of a three-hundred year-old occult text purportedly co-written by Lucifer himself in Roman Polanksi’s okay 1999 thriller The Ninth Gate.

...and watched another frightfest in a similar vein late last night:

After a farmer uncovers a fragment of beastly remains while plowing his field, a young teenage woman in the village lures others into a coven in an effort to make the creature whole until the local magistrate puts an end to their nefarious plot in the boring 1970 horror movie Blood on Satan’s Claw.

And this morning I was tranported to the Summer of 1940 by this WWII drama -

Using new technology such as a radar, a coordinated early-warning system on the ground to scramble pilots during attacks, and taking full advantage of strategic mistakes by their enemy, the out-numbered, out-manned British Royal Air Force successfully defends the home isles in air battles with the German Luftwaffe which ultimately derails the planned Nazi invasion in the epic 1969 war movie The Battle of Britain. Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine, and Robert Shaw star along with an impossibly young Ian McShane (Al Swearengen on HBO’s Deadwood).

Rocketboy
01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Watched Moon this afternoon. Amazing.
Despite kind of knowing what was going on, I loved how they took the idea in a fresh direction.

sith_killer_99
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Watched Moon this afternoon. Amazing.
Despite kind of knowing what was going on, I loved how they took the idea in a fresh direction.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the movie mostly because, as you say they took it in a fresh direction.:thumbsup:

Tycho
01-31-2010, 02:26 AM
Ji'dai, I've been watching a lot of WWII movies and have every plan to continue to do so since the sequel (World War Three) hasn't been put in production yet (maybe - or the start of it is being shot on location in the Middle East right now).

Anyway, I loved The Battle of Britain. Great war movie.

Even better, I watched A Bridge Too Far. Talk about an all-star cast: Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins, Lawrence Oliver, Elliot Gould, Denholm Elliot (Brody from Indianna Jones) and many more.

To stop the Nazis in Europe, the Allies had to parachute in behind German lines and sieze control of the bridges so they could move tanks and ground forces across. The 101st Airborne (Band of Brothers) and the 82 Airborne fought in what ultimately became a loss for the Allies (Operation: Market Garden) under General Montgomery, who General Isenhauer favored over the rebellious General Patton).

jonthejedi
01-31-2010, 03:43 AM
Must confess...have never seen Battle of Britian, even though I think it popped up on MGMHD...will check it out. Tycho, I def. think you'll like The Eagle Has Landed, even though the whole cast is British playing Germans. It's directed by John Sturges, who helmed The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape & Ice Station Zebra. I just saw Kelly's Heroes with Sutherland, Telly Savalas & of course Clint E. for the 1st time. Another one I rec. is the b&W Hell Is For Heroes with Steve McQueen(I picked up cheap at WalMart ages ago. I saw The Dirty Dozen in the $5 bin recently(a great spot to p/u classic WWII at times). I love A Bridge Too Far...I have a deluxe edition I got at Best Buy. My favorite parts are the James Caan scene & the "Hail Mary" river crossing. Powerful stuff.

Ji'dai
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
I recorded The Battle of Britain from Turner Classic Movies (TCM) the other day thinking it was part of Frank Capra's "Why We Fight" documentary series from 1943 (which is what the satellite guide said). Once I started watching it, it turned out to be the '69 film. Good show though, lots of aerial combat with real vintage planes.

The Eagle Has Landed is an enjoyable film. Donald Sutherland steals the show as an Irish expatriate with no love for the British who aids the Germans in their plot of kidnap Churchill. I can watch The Dirty Dozen again and again. A Bridge Too Far is fine once in a blue moon.

I'm not a big fan of Clint Eastwood's Kelly's Heroes. I just watched Where Eagles Dare, which is a much better film with Eastwood, although it's really a vehicle for Richard Burton. I know I've seen Where Eagles Dare before, but have forgotten it over the years. It was like watching it again for the first time.

---

When it comes to WWII movies, I typically enjoy stories about the main combatants or "our" troops but I sometimes like to see things from another perspective, so I watched this French film yesterday afternoon. I think it was on Independent Film Channel (IFC) -

Africans from French colonies and elsewhere are recruited by the Free French government-in-exile under Charles de Gaulle to help liberate the mother country from German occupation but face constant discrimination from their French comrades and endure unfair treatment from their superiors and government (even decades later) in the watchable 2006 French war movie Days of Glory.

In the late 1950s, due to so many former French colonies being in open rebellion fighting for independence, the French government cut the pensions of WWII veterans from those former colonies. They were reinstated in the early 2000s, but payments were put off again. Since that generation is becoming fewer in number anyway, it's doubtful there will be any veterans left to claim their pension anyway.

From yesterday evening:

After a plane crash that claims the life of his wife, a 1920s pilot (Cliff Robertson - Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben in Spiderman) and his young son rebuild his biplane and take to the air, flying to small towns giving airplane rides, enjoying their celebrity status, and having occasional trysts with local women in the avoidable 1973 action adventure film Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies. Seventies mainstay Bernadette Peters plays a small town prostitute in this film, which is based on a story by obscure director Steven Spielberg.

And the late show last night:

After a centuries-old group known as the Illuminati kidnaps four cardinals and threatens to destroy the Vatican using stolen anti-matter, university professor Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) is called in to help track down those responsible and prevent the calamity in Ron Howard’s okay 2009 adventure thriller Angels and Demons. Ewan Macgregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels) plays a Vatican priest and Stellan Skarsgard (Bootstrap Bill in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies) is head of the elite Swiss Guard.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
on friday, the fiance' and I watched the TV Mini series of "The Shining." Being an avid fan of Stephen King and having read the book many times, I have to say I easily prefer this version over Kubrick's hack and slash job of 1980. Yes, nicholson is great, but Kubrick's version take away from many of the central themes and elements that make the novel and mini series so great. Steven Weber does an awesome job as Jack Torrance a he progressively descends into madness whereas with Nicholson you can see he's crazy from the very first frame. Amazing score too, very haunting.

Also, last night we got some pizza, beer, and started an "Awful Movie Marathon" with "How to Deal," "Glitter," and right now we're watching "Showgirls." It's great watching crappy flicks and riffing them. Awesome times! hehe :thumbsup:

jonthejedi
01-31-2010, 05:55 PM
I absolutely agree about The Shining...as one of the few King books I have read...I hated Kubrick's version. Jack "Here's Johnny" Nicholson started off the movie 1/2 crazy so there was nowhere for him to go with the character. King hated that version, too & hence the TV movie which we own on DVD, but I find most people have never seen I talk to. There are layers to Jack's growing dementia the Overlook preys on, primarily from the child abuse of Danny...which the 1980 version skirted completely. One of my favorite parts of the book was the hedgerow animals, and certainly no way that could have been shot in the late seventies. My wife had a "chick flick" marathon today, so we watched To Catch A Thief(Hitchcock), Couples Retreat & The Time Traveler's Wife(actually pretty good as love stories go, and Rachel McAdams is not unpleasant to the eye at all).

sith_killer_99
01-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Yes the "remake" is superior in soo many ways.

That's the thing about King's work, regular films seldom do his books justice, it really takes a good solid mini series to bring it all together. It's very difficult to cram all of that into a 2 hour film.:yes:

I think Kubrick did his best with what he had to work with. I believe I heard a rumor that King was essentially banned from giving his negative views of the Kubrick version.:yes:

El Chuxter
01-31-2010, 07:12 PM
The Green Mile, Stand by Me, and The Shawshank Redemption are notable exceptions to that rule.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I absolutely agree about The Shining...as one of the few King books I have read...I hated Kubrick's version. Jack "Here's Johnny" Nicholson started off the movie 1/2 crazy so there was nowhere for him to go with the character. King hated that version, too & hence the TV movie which we own on DVD, but I find most people have never seen I talk to. There are layers to Jack's growing dementia the Overlook preys on, primarily from the child abuse of Danny...which the 1980 version skirted completely. One of my favorite parts of the book was the hedgerow animals, and certainly no way that could have been shot in the late seventies.

Exactly. Torrance has that slow descent into insanity that the hotel plots out wonderfully. Plus, the novel and mini series concentrate on the fact that the hotel wants danny so they can use his powers whereas Kubricks version is all about Jack Nicholson. There's a lot in the novel and mini series, especially when it comes to the destruction of the family unit and Kubrick's version just ignores that. And the scene with the woman in 217 in Kubrick's version (well, 237), is just ridiculous.

The Green Mile, Stand by Me, and The Shawshank Redemption are notable exceptions to that rule.

I agree on all 3. I want to add "The Mist" to that list as well; the ending in the film was actually better, even King stated he thought so. I never read "1408" but I know the film is awesome.

and you fellow King/shining fans will appreciate this redux trailer of Kubrick's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVjl7gK4HGU hehe Plus, you gotta love the music score they used for the trailer (5 points to the participant who can place it!).

El Chuxter
01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
"Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel. What are the points good for? :)

Interesting that I know someone here posted a video using that song as well, and YouTube took it down for copyright infringement. Does someone have to report infringement? Not that I'm going to do so; just curious how YouTube decides which videos using a particular piece of music to take down.

And I've not seen 1408, but have been meaning to. Haven't seen The Mist, either. I'd say Cat's Eye, but, well, it was never a book. Secret Window wasn't great; in fact, it was pretty mediocre, but both Depp and Turturo did fine work in that flick.

sith_killer_99
01-31-2010, 08:57 PM

Agreed with "Stand By Me".

"The Shawshank Redemption" was almost 2.5 hours and "The Green Mile" was 3 hours and 9 minutes!!! Not exactly standard movie going times.lol

Slicker
01-31-2010, 09:07 PM
I never read "1408" but I know the film is awesome.
Isn't 1408 the movie with either Luke Wilson or John Cusack (I can't remember right now)? If so I thought that movie was horrendous.

I watched Terminator: Salvation last night and I also watched both Family Guy Star Wars episodes. Salvation was quite good and really made up for how sucky T3 was. I loved the Family Guy episodes.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
"Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel. What are the points good for? :)

Interesting that I know someone here posted a video using that song as well, and YouTube took it down for copyright infringement. Does someone have to report infringement? Not that I'm going to do so; just curious how YouTube decides which videos using a particular piece of music to take down.

And I've not seen 1408, but have been meaning to. Haven't seen The Mist, either. I'd say Cat's Eye, but, well, it was never a book. Secret Window wasn't great; in fact, it was pretty mediocre, but both Depp and Turturo did fine work in that flick.

I was referring to the few seconds of Thomas Newman's score from "The Shawshank Redemption" but you're correct too. :p Also, i'm pretty sure that somebody has to report a video for it to get taken down.

Isn't 1408 the movie with either Luke Wilson or John Cusack (I can't remember right now)? If so I thought that movie was horrendous.

I watched Terminator: Salvation last night and I also watched both Family Guy Star Wars episodes. Salvation was quite good and really made up for how sucky T3 was. I loved the Family Guy episodes.

It's the flick with John Cusack.

Rocketboy
02-01-2010, 12:59 AM
1408 & The Shawshank Redemption - both the story and movie are pretty faithful adaptions from what I remember. 1408 was just ok and Shawshank was great.
Never read The Mist, but I really liked the movie. Which reminds me that I still need to watch the black & white version.

I watched Terminator: Salvation last night and I also watched both Family Guy Star Wars episodes. Salvation was quite good and really made up for how sucky T3 was. I loved the Family Guy episodes.I really like Terminator Salvation also. T3 felt really generic to me. like to much of a quick cash grab.

I just finished (500) Days of Summer. Really good movie about relationships that doesn't fall into the typical pitfalls. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is quickly becoming of my favorite actors.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-01-2010, 01:43 AM
I think it varies from case to case, but whenever I've had an issue with it, the music was taken down (the whole soundtrack is muted, actually) immediately after I posted the video (during the "processing," uh, process). I thought it was due to me mentioning the song in the video info, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Oddly, when I posted the bloopers for the Vince thing, I put in Solsbury Hill and it was fine. It might have something to do with how much background noise there is, to cover up and/or muddle the music so it doesn't get recognized right away. Also, with my most recent film, the music was again muted due to a WMG copyright claim; I uploaded five or six different videos with the normal sounds and then just one song per video, in the normal place it was in the original video, and none of them were taken down even after several days (I've since deleted them myself). I wanted to figure out which song was causing the trouble, but now I have no idea. Maybe it varies from time to time. Weird stuff all around.

Anyway, I watched Observe and Report today and liked it. It was definitely similar to Taxi Driver, but obviously more of a comedy - albeit a strange, fairly dark comedy.

Tycho
02-01-2010, 03:36 AM
I watched Battle of the Bulge. This is a great and true WWII story and a 2 hour and 50 minute movie. That being said, there's a lot of action and a great story. Be prepared for nearly the first HOUR to be kind of slow and boring though. But if you're paying attention during this time, the movie pays off big time! Gather intelligence so you are ready for the big strike!

This is rapid tank warfare under heavy fog and snow, when the Allies couldn't fly recon sorties because the skies were too cloudy to see anything.

Anyway, I really like and recommend this one.

jonthejedi
02-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Another one I have to see at some point(isn't Robert Shaw a German tank cdmr?) I'm going to watch The Caine Mutiny this week on HDNet.

Tycho
02-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Another one I have to see at some point(isn't Robert Shaw a German tank cdmr?)

Yes. He plays Colonel Hessler in Battle of the Bulge. ( I don't think he was a general -but possibly).

Hessler might be a ficticious character for the movie (not sure) but he serves under Rommel who was not present for this battle.

Excellent movie! Like I said, almost the first hour is slow - but pay attention to the details and it really pays off when the action starts!

In the special features, I learned that the real German tank commander (who may have been acquitted or released after time-served for war crimes) was the special military advisor for this movie, helping to recreate the Battle of Bastogne exactly the way it happened - and it was filmed on location.

Ji'dai
02-01-2010, 07:54 AM
When astronauts of the first lunar landing discover the British flag and a parchment claiming the satellite for Queen Victoria on the surface, the government and the press track down one of the names on the paper - leading them to an old man who explains how he, his fiancee, and a scientist went to the moon and ran afoul of the sentient race there in the 1964 science fiction film First Men in the Moon. This movie was based on the H.G. Wells story and features special effects by Ray Harryhausen, who served as associate producer.

A brilliant surgeon working to perfect transplantation techniques saves his fiancee’s head from a burning car crash and must find another woman with a hot body to attach it to in the tawdry 1959 horror movie The Brain That Wouldn’t Die.

jonthejedi
02-01-2010, 08:19 AM
I love anything by Harryhausen...got to meet him some years back in Philly at an exhibit. Also a George Pal fan...my wife got me 7 Faces of Dr. Lao DVD for X-mas, to add to my growing collection which includes Time Machine(my fav), War of the Worlds(we just lost Gene Barry), When Worlds Collide & Destination Moon. Need The Power & Atlantis The Lost Continent(not on DVD in this region). Not too keen on Pal's handling of Doc Savage The Man of Bronze.

OC47150
02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
The Eagle Has Landed is an enjoyable film. Donald Sutherland steals the show as an Irish expatriate with no love for the British who aids the Germans in their plot of kidnap Churchill. I can watch The Dirty Dozen again and again. A Bridge Too Far is fine once in a blue moon.

I'm not a big fan of Clint Eastwood's Kelly's Heroes. I just watched Where Eagles Dare, which is a much better film with Eastwood, although it's really a vehicle for Richard Burton. I know I've seen Where Eagles Dare before, but have forgotten it over the years. It was like watching it again for the first time.

---

When it comes to WWII movies, I typically enjoy stories about the main combatants or "our" troops but I sometimes like to see things from another perspective, so I watched this French film yesterday afternoon. I think it was on Independent Film Channel (IFC) -

Africans from French colonies and elsewhere are recruited by the Free French government-in-exile under Charles de Gaulle to help liberate the mother country from German occupation but face constant discrimination from their French comrades and endure unfair treatment from their superiors and government (even decades later) in the watchable 2006 French war movie Days of Glory.

In the late 1950s, due to so many former French colonies being in open rebellion fighting for independence, the French government cut the pensions of WWII veterans from those former colonies. They were reinstated in the early 2000s, but payments were put off again. Since that generation is becoming fewer in number anyway, it's doubtful there will be any veterans left to claim their pension anyway.

I like Kelly's Heroes. I remember the first time I saw KH; it was New Year's Eve 1983. After all the NYE programs were off, the movie came on. Sutherland steals that movie, too. But Carroll O'Conner is good at the general. I read an interview with Clint Eastwood once that stated the movie that was shot and what the studio released were two different pieces. The studio version was more comedic.

You should give Guns of Navarone a watch, Ji'dai. It's one of my and mom's favorites. We just watched it last night.

Mom and I have our guy movies: Navarone, Where Eagles Dare and the Great Escape. Can't get any better than that.

Days of Glory is good. One of those little known chapters in WWII history.

And Robert Shaw was Colonel Hessler in BotB, Tycho.

jonthejedi
02-02-2010, 04:41 AM
The Great Escape is a classic, no question. For a slightly different take on the usual WWII squad story...try to get your hands on A Midnight Clear & the extended version of Big Red One(still Mark Hamill's best performance & a fantastic Lee Marvin as The Sergeant...this is director Sam Fuller's recollection).

Tycho
02-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I watched George C. Scott as Patton!

This is an awesome movie. The man is larger than life. The movie is his true story.

No, I don't like his arrogance and his presumptiveness - that he knows better than all his superiors, every time. And he took action on no one's authority but is own. I think he barely respected General Isenhauer by the thinnest margins, and he stopped liking General Bradley as a friend when Bradley was promoted over Patton.

Now the only reason the Army didn't cash him out, is because the Germans really feared Patton and General Rommel respected Patton the most amongst American officers. (Of course Patton's insubordination would never have been tolerated in the German Army - Rommel seemed to follow Hitler's commands quite obediently.)

But I love the story of the General who stood out in the middle of the street during a German fighter's strafing run and fired at it with a handgun.

No, Patton was a piece of work.

This is a great movie that follows his few years of service during World War II.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2010, 06:08 AM
"The Hurt Locker"- This film follows three American Soldiers in Iraq as they work to disarm improvised explosives. While the film is very suspensful and gripping, I do wish the script would have allowed for a bit more depth with the characters. Granted, we do get some information about some of the characters, but to me they felt too generic at times. What makes these guys tick and why? The film gets to the heart to the heart of the matter, but not enough. Still, this is a very intense film that has great cinematography and is a fantastic film depicting the Iraq War. Rating- *** out of **** :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
You should give Guns of Navarone a watch, Ji'dai. It's one of my and mom's favorites. We just watched it last night.

Mom and I have our guy movies: Navarone, Where Eagles Dare and the Great Escape. Can't get any better than that. Sure, Guns of Navarone is a classic. I've seen that one several times. I always get it confused with Force 10 from Navarone (1978) with Robert Shaw & Harrison Ford, which isn't quite as good.

Operation Crossbow with George Peppard is decent too. I watched that one again last year for the first time in many years. Peppard plays one of several Allied agents sent in to infiltrate and destroy a German rocket base inside a mountain.

---

Suspicions, guilt, and nerves drive four women who committed a payroll heist to turn on each other in the okay 1958 exploitive crime drama Girls on the Loose. Paul Henreid, who played Victor Laszlo in Casablanca, directed this film.

OC47150
02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
The Great Escape is a classic, no question. For a slightly different take on the usual WWII squad story...try to get your hands on A Midnight Clear & the extended version of Big Red One(still Mark Hamill's best performance & a fantastic Lee Marvin as The Sergeant...this is director Sam Fuller's recollection).

The pre-restoration version is the version shown on TV. It's hard to watch that one when you have the more superior restoration.

Crossbow is good, too. I understand there's a couple of deleted scenes that didn't make the DVD. The big scene shows Peppard getting beat up, which explains the bandage on his forehead.

I have A Midnight Clear on video (taped it off cable years ago). I need to watch it again.

Tycho
02-03-2010, 08:13 AM
I watched The Tuskegee Airmen.

Lawrence Fishbourne (The Matrix, Boyz In The Hood) and Cuba Gooding, Jr. (also Boyz In The Hood) star in this next WWII flick.

They're both alright, but there's another actor who's actually the best fighter pilot in the squadron who outshines them both. I forget his name, but not what happens to his character that he plays. That's the best performance of the movie if you ask me.

Yes the pilots were black, but all of them were very well-educated and college graduates (the Tuskegee pilots - which had a segregated black squadron - but not all Tuskegee pilots were black).

They see combat first in Africa before they are sent into the European theater fighting the Germans. They are always fighting white Americans for their chance to suceed. It's a moving story you should see.

What's also funny to note is that in Tuskegee, Fishburne and Gooding play squadron-mates, presumably the same age. In Boyz In The Hood, Fishburne played Gooding's father! LOL

Anyway, what's also noteworthy is that while I know this movie is historically based and true, it is very predictable and possibly cliche. There were really no surprises for me, but it's not like you go to see Titanic and not think the ship will eventually sink.

Ji'dai
02-03-2010, 09:18 AM
I've never seen The Tuskegee Airmen. Another good one is The Bridge at Remagen (1969), which I watched last year. US Army forces race to sieze and hold the last bridge over the Rhine before the Germans can destroy it.

---

The films and the filmmakers of the 1970s are explored in the interesting 2003 Independent Film Channel documentary A Decade Under the Influence. Audiences of the decade grow tired of the big-budget glam of the Hollywood studio system and flock to low-budget films by the student filmmaker generation, who try to portray the current state of American society and the counter-culture revolution in a more realistic manner.

DarkArtist
02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
caught Sleepy Hollow the other day and to this day i love the performance Johnny depp gives after he first sees the Horseman up close. one of Burton's Best.

going to the NYC soon to visit the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) and see the Tim Burton exhibit. can't wait to see some of the original artwork and props from the films. I hear they might even have the Batmobile on display as well. can't wait. hoping to go sometime the end of February.:thumbsup:

Tycho
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Ji'Dai, The Bridge At Remagen almost sounds like the same story in "A Bridge Too Far," or the one they hold in "Saving Private Ryan." But I think those were different towns in both those movies. Yeah: holding the bridges (or building them by Army Engineers) was the key to reconquering Europe for sure!

In the Pacific Theater it was an air-superiority battle in reality, and taking over each island on the approach to Japan, however, I'd joke that the movies were "A Rice Paddy Too Far," and "Saving Uncle Ben." :D

jonthejedi
02-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Watched The Caine Mutiny today with Bogart, Jose Ferrer & Fred MacMurray-excellent WWII naval drama. The book it was based on won a Pulitzer.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I watched UHF last night, though people were talking a lot through it. I've seen it before and love it, but I had somehow not realized that John Paragon (Jambi and many others from Pee-wee's Playhouse) played RJ Fletcher's son, which is pretty cool.

bigbarada
02-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I saw The Tooth Fairy in the theater last Sunday. I think a trip to the dentist would have been more enjoyable and not lasted nearly as long.

I also watched Zombieland this evening and I really liked that one. :thumbsup: Very funny with some great unexpected moments. This one ranks right up there with Shawn of the Dead in my book. :cool:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2010, 02:20 AM
I just finished Step Brothers. Not the best movie of all time, but it was pretty damn funny. I liked it better than the other Ferrell-Reilly collaboration, Talladega Nights. It was pretty fun.

jonthejedi
02-04-2010, 04:06 AM
May have to go back & rewatch 1969's True Grit with John Wayne(his Oscar winner, though many felt Dustin Hoffman should have won for Midnight Cowboy)...just found out the Coen Brothers are remaking it with Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn, and Matt Damon in the Glen Cambell role as the Texas Ranger.

El Chuxter
02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
I just finished Step Brothers. Not the best movie of all time, but it was pretty damn funny. I liked it better than the other Ferrell-Reilly collaboration, Talladega Nights. It was pretty fun.

Better than Talladega Nights? Crap in a hat, that must be a true modern classic, then!

(In fairness, it seems from everyone I've talked to that one must have grown up around, or at least have lived around, the NASCAR belt to fully appreciate how sadly dead-on that movie was.)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Better than Talladega Nights? Crap in a hat, that must be a true modern classic, then!

(In fairness, it seems from everyone I've talked to that one must have grown up around, or at least have lived around, the NASCAR belt to fully appreciate how sadly dead-on that movie was.)

I gotta disagree. I thought "Step Brothers" was just awful, rarely funny. The end song was awesome though. I need to rip that to mp3. "Talladega Nights" is faaaaaaaaar funnier. :)

"Zombieland"- A hilariously fun zombie film with just a dash of romance and some great zombie action. Harrelson, Eisenberg, Stone, and Breslin have a great chemistry as a group. Harrelson and Eisenberg have some great scenes together and the cameo is too great for words and I really don't want to spoil it. It could've been a bit longer, but that's my only real gripe. If you're a fan of the genre, you'll love this flick. Rating- *** out of ****

Ando
02-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Or at least visited the south once or twice...

I thought Talladega Nights was better than Step Brothers (I liked Step Brothers, too don't get me wrong). But in 20 years, I will still probably rewatch TD.

I especially liked that John C. Relly has appeared in two NASCAR movies. One that was supposed to be serious and one that was utterly ridiculous.

Rocketboy
02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I just finished Step Brothers. Not the best movie of all time, but it was pretty damn funny. I liked it better than the other Ferrell-Reilly collaboration, Talladega Nights. It was pretty fun.I watched Step Brothers last night also, which had to be the 15th time I've seen it (at least). I never tire of this movie. My brother-in-law and I quote it endlessly, much to the annoyance of my wife and sister-in-law.

Talladega Nights was total *ss. It was a DVD blind buy since I missed it in theaters and I'm still p*ssed about it. Barely a chuckle in the entire movie.

I gotta disagree. I thought "Step Brothers" was just awful, rarely funny. The end song was awesome though. I need to rip that to mp3. "The Impression That I Get" (by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones) and "Family Bible" (by Rick Logan) are the songs that play during the credits.
Unless you meant "Boats 'n Hoes", which was during the movie.

Ji'dai
02-04-2010, 05:01 PM
A widow (Jeanne Moreau) uses her guiles and various disguises to kill the men responsible for her newlywed husband’s death in Francois Truffaut’s improbable 1968 Hitchcockian thriller The Bride Wore Black. Features a score by Hitchcock alum Bernard Hermann.

bigbarada
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
"Zombieland"- A hilariously fun zombie film with just a dash of romance and some great zombie action. Harrelson, Eisenberg, Stone, and Breslin have a great chemistry as a group. Harrelson and Eisenberg have some great scenes together and the cameo is too great for words and I really don't want to spoil it. It could've been a bit longer, but that's my only real gripe. If you're a fan of the genre, you'll love this flick. Rating- *** out of ****

I thought the way the cameo was handled was brilliant, I still chuckle about it when I think about it now. lol But I don't want to give anything away. I just recommend that everybody needs to watch this movie.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-04-2010, 07:57 PM
"The Impression That I Get" (by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones) and "Family Bible" (by Rick Logan) are the songs that play during the credits.
Unless you meant "Boats 'n Hoes", which was during the movie.

Oh, the song I love is the tune they perform at the end, I think it's "Time to Say Goodbye" with Reilly on drums and Ferrell on vocals. I found a way to rip audio from the youtube vids of it, but they have movie dialogue and stuff and I'd LOOOOOOOOVE clean copy. As I understand it, a clean version was never released. :(

I thought the way the cameo was handled was brilliant, I still chuckle about it when I think about it now. lol But I don't want to give anything away. I just recommend that everybody needs to watch this movie.

lol me too. Especially towards the end of that part of the film, I laughed my arse off at what happened. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I saw Moon today and it was great. A really interesting story with some amazing acting moments (with Sam Rockwell playing against himself throughout the film). The moon rover also reminded me a lot of the Turbo Tank. Cool stuff all around.

El Chuxter
02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I saw a movie called "Moon" once. I don't think it was the one you described. It was about a guy who kept dropping his drawers and showing off his moons of Uranus. It did not end well.

Tycho
02-05-2010, 12:42 AM
JontheJedi - was The Caine Mutiny in the Pacific Theater of World War II?

I'm going to soon start watching films about the action over there, but not quite done with Germany yet.

I just watched Inglorious Basterds. Excellent movie and great performances, especially by the Nazi Gestapo officer. I loved to hate him and root for the girl and Brad Pitt's character.

Beware "The Bear Jew!"

Anyway, I highly recommend "Basterds."

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-05-2010, 06:12 AM
"(500) Days of Summer"- Nice little psuedo romantic comedy that is enjoyable and entertaining. It has strong performances from both Deschanel and Gordon-Levitt, but the supporting roles are also terrific, especially Moretz, who does a fantastic job of playing Levitt's younger, but far wiser sister. I did think the very end was a bit silly for one glaring reason, but it's still a solid flick with a great great soundtrack. Rating- *** out of **** :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
02-05-2010, 07:30 AM
A martial arts master (Bruce Lee) is asked to attend a tournament held on a remote island lorded over by a former member of his Shaolin Temple whose henchmen were responsible for the death of his sister in the 1973 action film Enter the Dragon. John Saxon and Jim Kelly co-star as fellow fighters.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-05-2010, 09:32 AM
A martial arts master (Bruce Lee) is asked to attend a tournament held on a remote island lorded over by a former member of his Shaolin Temple whose henchmen were responsible for the death of his sister in the 1973 action film Enter the Dragon. John Saxon and Jim Kelly co-star as fellow fighters.

I DVR'd that off AMC yesterday (i think it was AMC). still need to watch it though!

Ji'dai
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I recorded it from AMC too. I usually don't watch many movies on that network unless it's an older movie I've never seen and unlikely to have been cut or edited too much. The commercials really bug me too. Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and Fox Movie Channel (FMC) both show movies uncut and commerical-free. MGM-HD is another good one though it's not included in my satellite package.

Tycho
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm watching Band of Brothers now.

DarthQuack
02-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm watching Band of Brothers now.

Great miniseries, I can't wait for The Pacific in March to start up.

TeeEye7
02-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Great miniseries, I can't wait for The Pacific in March to start up.

Same here. I hope it's as good. I image it will be.

jonthejedi
02-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Finished watching Caine Mutiny(yes, Tycho, it is Pacific theatre). The Caine is a mine sweeper, who inherits a captain(Humphrey Bogart is excellent) with questionable mental stability. This is NOT a combat film, but rather an excellent character drama. The finale, as you might guess, is courtroom based.

Tycho
02-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Caine Mutiny sounds good there. I'm interested.

Also I can't wait for The Pacific. I hope it's a lot of pilots' stories and fighter jets because we've seen the ground battles a lot in films like The Thin Red Line (which I plan to watch soon) and Letters From Iwo Jima, which I also plan to watch soon.

I love Band of Brothers every time I watch it, but this is a good ground-forces series. And submarine movies like U-571 rock, but I'm in the mood for great air combat. I'd love to see Mustangs versus Zeros. The story can be set with the Navy in a carrier group. Marines could disembark for shore invasions of the islands on approach to Japan. So there's a lot you could do with The Pacific.

I just really don't want 8-10 episodes all set on Guadalcanal or something like that.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I too love "Band of Brothers." It's just a fantastic series; I don't have HBO, so I'll have to wait until a DVD hits for "The Pacific" but I'm still excited. The score to BOB is also top notch; very glad I bought it months ago!

two new flicks:

"New York, I Love You"- The spirited sequel to 'Paris Je T'aime' finds new characters and new stories, this time in New York City. Sadly, none of the characters or stories really compare with their Paris counterparts as none of them really stand out or have any special elements to them. Many of the actors just phone it in, like they said, "hey, an indie film about New York!" and just signed up to do it and it shows as several segments have really weak acting. I also found it distracting that so many characters were found to say, "that's why I love New York!" and "I love New York" or "that's why New York is great!" Yeah, that's nice, but don't jam an idea down our throats, just present your stories and move on. Still, the film does have a few fantastic segments: the first featuring James Caan and Anton Yelchin; the second deals with an unspoken romance between two characters (Natalie Portman and Irrfa Kahn); and the best segment in the film the whole film (which is quite beautiful and touching) featuring Cloris Leachman and Eli Wallach as a couple celebrating their 63rd wedding anniversary. Other than that, very few memorable characters (and very few ethnicities, sexual orientations, etc) are represented in this very bland, white film. I'll stick with 'Paris Je T'aime.' Rating- ** out of ****

"The Zombie Diaries"- Talk about false advertising: the DVD art for this film shows a man surrounded by zombies while carrying a shotgun, his head lowered. This gives off an idea that maybe this will be a decent zombie film, maybe with some action and commentary, but sadly, this film delivers neither (also the guy on the cover isn't in the film). It's poorly acted with no real plot or characterization. It's broken up into three segments, the first being the initial outbreak and the last two a month or so later. The film has many problems, but mainly there's just no real excitement here. The camera work is really awful and it's constantly in motion. And yes, I know that they were going for the hand cam effect here, but it's hard to see what's going on as the camera is always moving. It makes "Cloverfield" look like a steady cam film. Also, the acting leaves a lot to be desired and the scenery is repetitive with barns and farmhouses (only one scene takes place in a village that has been deserted and is full of zombies). Just a very poor film on all levels. Rating- * out of ****

Ji'dai
02-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Also I can't wait for The Pacific. I hope it's a lot of pilots' stories and fighter jets because we've seen the ground battles a lot in films like The Thin Red Line (which I plan to watch soon) and Letters From Iwo Jima, which I also plan to watch soon. I liked Letters from Iwo Jima (which portrays the battle for Iwo from the Japanese perspective) better than Flags of our Fathers (the story of the men who raised the flag over Mt. Suribachi on Iwo and immortalized in that famous photo).

If you're looking for more air combat drama, Memphis Belle (1990) is an entertaining film about the crew of the famous B-17 bomber and its 25th and final mission over Europe.

---

A crazed slasher torments a young woman (Rachel Miner) with a fear of automobiles during a mountain country road trip with her therapist (Mimi Rogers) in the okay 2006 horror movie Penny Dreadful.

Tycho
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
IThe score to BOB is also top notch; very glad I bought it months ago!

Funny, because I was thinking the same thing and mulling over planning to buy the soundtrack myself.

I too cannot stress how much I'm looking forward to The Pacific.

If you're looking for more air combat drama, Memphis Belle (1990) is an entertaining film about the crew of the famous B-17 bomber and its 25th and final mission over Europe.

Good suggestion. I've never seen Memphis Belle but I have a free rental I need to use this month. Sounds perfect to me.

Meanwhile, in Band of Brothers, I've just finished watching disc 2 which portrays the Allied loss in Operation: Market Garden - or part of it. This battle is best covered by A Bridge Too Far of course.

TeeEye7
02-06-2010, 02:48 PM
More on The Pacific:

It's based on the books With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie.

Eugene Sledge's war experiences are also featured in Ken Burn's documentary The War (that's where his name was familiar to me when I heard about The Pacific miniseries). If you're a Band of Brothers fan or looking forward to The Pacific, I'd recommend checking out Burns' work as well.

El Chuxter
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Honestly, I've probably seen this movie as many times as, or maybe more than, Star Wars.

It ranks up there with The Princess Bride as one of the most quotable movies ever made.

"Want a Twinkie, Genghis Khan?"

jonthejedi
02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Been catching repeats of Twin Peaks on C&I(Crime & Investigation)...so I watched the theatrical prequel David Lynch did: Fire Walk With Me on HDNet. Weird!

JimJamBonds
02-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I watched That Thing You Do! last night, it had been several years since I last saw it but I thought its still a good movie. Plus I didn't realise that Charlise Theron was in it! (for a bit)

Ji'dai
02-07-2010, 09:14 AM
A brother (Ray Milland) and sister (Ruth Hussey) pool their money and buy a seaside estate haunted by the ghosts of the former tenants in the okay 1944 scary movie The Uninvited. Spectral special effects were pretty good as was the use of light and shadows to effectively create a creepy atmosphere.

Old Fossil
02-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I watched the Japanese film Departures. A cellist in a big-city symphony loses his job (and his cello) when the symphony is disbanded, and he and his wife move back to his small home town, where he has a little house left to him by his deceased mother. There is little or no work to be found, until he comes across a help-wanted ad for work in "departures." He assumes it is a travel agency, but it is not. He finds the job is as an assistant for a man who does casketing, hired by undertakers to perform the elaborate Japanese funeral rites (including washing the body -- done in the presence of the family, BTW).

It is funny, charming, sincere, and beautifully acted. I loved it.

TeeEye7
02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Plus I didn't realise that Charlise Theron was in it! (for a bit)

Our own BCJ is in it, too! Although I must admit Charlise is a lot prettier than he is! ;)

I forget which section that info is posted in about BCJ being an extra.....

sith_killer_99
02-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Watched "Zombieland" tonight. Good movie, not as funny as "Shaun of the Dead" but funny none the less.:thumbsup:

The whole Bill Murry stuff was pretty funny.

jonthejedi
02-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Ji'dai...you might also like Robert Wise's The Haunting...much better than the remake.

Ji'dai
02-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I've seen both versions of The Haunting (based on Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House). The Innocents (1961), adapted from Henry James' The Turn of the Screw, is also quite effective. The 2006 remake, In a Dark Place, isn't quite as good.

---

An acquirer of rare antiquities (Jackie Chan) is hired to lead an expedition to North Africa in search of gold bullion hidden in a secret Nazi base during WWII in the watchable 1991 action adventure Operation Condor. Chan also directs.

I couldn’t finish the awful 2008 action flick Ninja Cheerleaders. A group of community college chicks working their way through school by stripping at a nightclub rescue their boss/sensei (George Takei - Mr. Sulu from Star Trek) from the clutches of local gangsters.

DarthQuack
02-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Super Bowl XLIV.

sith_killer_99
02-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Super Bowl XLIV.

So don't keep us in suspense man, who won?

JK:laugh:

DarthQuack
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM

JK:laugh:

The Refs!! They never lose! :thumbsup:

Ando
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
"The Zombie Diaries"- Talk about false advertising: the DVD art for this film shows a man surrounded by zombies while carrying a shotgun, his head lowered. This gives off an idea that maybe this will be a decent zombie film, maybe with some action and commentary, but sadly, this film delivers neither (also the guy on the cover isn't in the film). It's poorly acted with no real plot or characterization. It's broken up into three segments, the first being the initial outbreak and the last two a month or so later. The film has many problems, but mainly there's just no real excitement here. The camera work is really awful and it's constantly in motion. And yes, I know that they were going for the hand cam effect here, but it's hard to see what's going on as the camera is always moving. It makes "Cloverfield" look like a steady cam film. Also, the acting leaves a lot to be desired and the scenery is repetitive with barns and farmhouses (only one scene takes place in a village that has been deserted and is full of zombies). Just a very poor film on all levels. Rating- * out of ****

I ordered this off of Amazon UK back in 2008(?) and it was just awful. I only bothered finishing it because I paid money to buy and ship it from overseas. Disappointing as all get out.

Ando
02-08-2010, 04:37 PM

CBS and the American Television advertising industry.

UKWildcat
02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Watched "Zombieland" tonight. Good movie, not as funny as "Shaun of the Dead" but funny none the less.:thumbsup:

The whole Bill Murry stuff was pretty funny.

I just watched this one last night as well. Loved it! :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
02-09-2010, 10:26 AM
After the death of their parents, four vampire siblings eke out a living and lure transients, drifters, and other unsuspecting victims into their home to satisfy their bloodlust and ensure their survival in The Butcher Brothers’ okay 2006 horror film The Hamiltons.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I saw Moon today and it was great. A really interesting story with some amazing acting moments (with Sam Rockwell playing against himself throughout the film). The moon rover also reminded me a lot of the Turbo Tank. Cool stuff all around.

I just watched that today and really liked it. Here is my "official" blurb:

"Moon"- Interesting character driven piece with a terrific Sam Rockwell, who gives a great performance as Sam Bell, an astronaut nearing the end of his three year term while working for an energy company based off the moon. The film's big revelation comes very early, but the remainder of the film does a good job of explorer the idea of being human through emotions, thoughts, and actions. Kevin Spacey also has a voice role as GERTY, the robot that runs things on Sam's base and is essentially his only friend. The flick also features a great score by Clint Mansell. Very solid film. Rating- *** out of ****

I ordered this off of Amazon UK back in 2008(?) and it was just awful. I only bothered finishing it because I paid money to buy and ship it from overseas. Disappointing as all get out.

Definitely agree. The cover made it look so epic and awesome and it was basically no better than a college student project. Just......awful. :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I watched I Love You, Man last night and thought it was great. Hilarious and well made with a good story and great cast, so there you go.

In class we watched A Walk in the Clouds mainly for its production design. It certainly looked good but it was way cheesy and over the top. Meh.

Ji'dai
02-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Mexican villagers hire three clueless out-of-work silent movie cowboys (Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, and Martin Short) to protect their village from a bandito (Alfonso Arau) and his gang in John Landis’ 1986 western comedy Three Amigos! Features music by Randy Newman (who also voiced the Singing Bush) and the movie has bit parts by Joe Mantegna, Jon Lovitz, and Phil Hartman as Hollywood bigwigs.

JimJamBonds
02-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Great call Ji'dai!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2010, 12:22 AM
In art class we watched The Shape of Things, which was a pretty crappy movie. It was written and directed by Neil LaBute, who also directed the hilariously bad 2006 Wicker Man. Why is he so anti-women? In both movies, the female characters are conniving, manipulative, and cruel beyond all reason, and I've heard the same is true in his other works.

TeeEye7
02-11-2010, 03:08 AM
I missed it in theaters so I watched Star Trek on DVD.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that parts were filmed in my fair county (we're a bit over 100 miles north of Hollyweird). We were "Iowa; and the location for the port where Kirk and Bones meet up on the shuttle to join the Star Fleet Academy; so far as I could tell.

Hollyweird likes our locales. Some of the movies filmed here through the years: Psycho, North By Northwest (Hitchcock liked us), Jurassic Park, Thelma and Louise, The X Files, Battle Star Galactica (TV series), The Andromeda Strain, The Mummy (1932), Stagecoach (1939), It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World, Five Easy Pieces, Attack of the 50 ft. Woman (the Daryl Hannah version...one of my colleagues was an extra), The Onion Field (which actually took place here), The Best of Times, The Grapes of Wrath, and more.

Actually, here's a website with the locations and movies from my area:
http://www.setjettingkern.org/kerncountymovielistings.htm
Often there are calls for extras for the movies and once in a great while we have to provide security for location shoots.

Old Fossil
02-11-2010, 06:22 AM
In both movies, the female characters are conniving, manipulative, and cruel beyond all reason, and I've heard the same is true in his other works.

Maybe he's just going for a sense of realism...:laugh:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-11-2010, 06:24 AM
"The Informant!"- Matt Damon is really great here, but sadly the rest of the film never really matches his bravado and attitude. For a film that is a satirical comedy, the film never really gets too funny and judging from the music, this is supposed to be viewed as a hilarious sendup of corporate america. Yet, the film never really reaches any big laughs. Still, Damon is solid, and Bakula and McHale do some good work as a pair of FBI agents. Rating- **1/2 out of ****

Ji'dai
02-11-2010, 08:27 AM
A special forces major (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and his team are duped by a CIA agent (Carl Weathers) into taking out a Central American guerrilla base and soon find themselves hunted by an alien creature on safari in the excellent 1987 science fiction film Predator. Co-stars Bill Sutton and former professional wrestler-turned governor Jesse Ventura.

UKWildcat
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
A special forces major (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and his team are duped by a CIA agent (Carl Weathers) into taking out a Central American guerrilla base and soon find themselves hunted by an alien creature on safari in the excellent 1987 science fiction film Predator. Co-stars Bill Sutton and former professional wrestler-turned governor Jesse Ventura.

Did you know Predator was nominated for an Oscar? ;) ;)

Ando
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
In art class we watched The Shape of Things, which was a pretty crappy movie. It was written and directed by Neil LaBute, who also directed the hilariously bad 2006 Wicker Man. Why is he so anti-women? In both movies, the female characters are conniving, manipulative, and cruel beyond all reason, and I've heard the same is true in his other works.

Then you'll probably not want to check out "Your Friends and Neighbors".

Both sexes are portrayed pretty badly. (The men are just as awful if not more so than the women). Catherine Keener plays a pretty awful person in this and it took me a LONG time to like her in anything else because of how much of an awful shrew she is.

Jason Patric's monologue is shocking and appalling, but it leads up to a big reveal by Ben Stiller and gets a great one liner by Jason Patric.

Plus it's got Aaron Eckhart when he was really chunky and gooey and not the handsome leading man he's trying to become.

Ji'dai
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Did you know Predator was nominated for an Oscar? ;) ;) I did not! 'Course, I don't put much value in awards and have no idea which films won prizes and which ones did not.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
"Deadgirl"- Very twisted and bizarre film about two outcasts who find a zombie girl chained to a bed in the basement in a hospital and decide to use her to their own vices. The film tries to make a statement about growing up and adolescence, but it jumps to its gruesome antics too fast. Adolescence isn't rough, these kids just have serious issues that really have no connection to society. They're just not right in the head. Also, the dialogue and acting is really bad, even for high school kids. If you're a zombie fan it could be worth a watch as it packs a few decent thrills, but overall, it just made me feel dirty. Rating- ** out of ****

UKWildcat
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I did not! 'Course, I don't put much value in awards and have no idea which films won prizes and which ones did not.

I was hinting that you could post that in this thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=41926). ;) I'm just kidding, though it is lonely in that challenge thread. :(

Ji'dai
02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I got the message :) But I'm clueless about film awards, so that's why I haven't participated in your challenge.

UKWildcat
02-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I got the message :) But I'm clueless about film awards, so that's why I haven't participated in your challenge.

Gotcha!

It is easy to see if something is nominated. I just go to IMDB, and if you punch in the movie, it will tell you right on the "Awards" line if something has won or been nominated. If it has, you can click on "more" and it will break down all the awards and what not. It is surprising what all has been nominated for stuff.

This is also a great reference. (http://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/ampas_awards/BasicSearchInput.jsp)

But please, don't feel pressured to participate, as that is not my intent.

Ji'dai
02-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I doubt this one won any awards since it was made outside of Hollywood:

A mercenary (Lee Van Cleef) armed with unique and specialized guns spars with a banjo-playing gunfighter and partners with a drunken Civil War vet and his acrobatic Indian friend to bring down a corrupt rancher and his cronies in the watchable 1970 western Sabata.

OC47150
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
The weather's been crappy around here for the last week or so, so I took advantage of watching the SW saga, all six movies. I'd never done that, in order, one right after the other, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I noticed a lot of little things I hadn't seen before.

Zombieland. Boy, this was a fun movie! I need to see it again.

Ji'dai
02-14-2010, 10:10 AM
In 1943, a pair of British special operations officers (Gregroy Peck & Roger Moore) recruit a group of retired, middle-aged colonial military veterans (led by David Niven) to travel to a neutral Portuguese colony off the coast of India and sink three German ships at anchor there in the watchable 1980 war movie The Sea Wolves.

After the mob witness he was ordered to protect is assassinated, a police detective (Steve McQueen) finds himself under pressure by a powerful senator (Robert Vaughn) and his boss to find the killer and expose the real conspiracy in the enjoyable 1968 crime drama Bullitt. Features a seminal car chase sequence on the streets of San Francisco between McQueen's Ford Mustang and the hitman's Dodge Charger. Jacqueline Bisset plays McQueen's romantic interest and Robert Duvall is a cabbie in one of his first major movie roles.