PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18

JimJamBonds
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I watched The Other Man yesterday with Qui Gon Jinn and Anantio Bandares (sp?) not that great so I won't bother with a synopsis.

Old Fossil
02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Black Dynamite!

Ji'dai
02-15-2010, 09:13 AM
A brilliant scientist (Colin Clive) cobbles together a cadaver using spare body parts and infuses it with life in the 1931 horror classic Frankenstein. Boris Karloff plays the monster. This was a first time viewing for me!

Rocketboy
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
A brilliant scientist (Colin Clive) cobbles together a cadaver using spare body parts and infuses it with life in the 1931 horror classic Frankenstein. Boris Karloff plays the monster. This was a first time viewing for me!Huh, never heard of it.

:D

DarthQuack
02-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Caught up on all the Olympics this morning on my DVR. Got through about 12 hours of footage in about 3 hours. :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-16-2010, 08:10 AM
I watched Memphis Belle.

Ji'dai
02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
A NY police detective (Gene Hackman) and his partner's (Roy Scheider) surveillance of a small-time hood with mafia connections leads them to a major drug deal with a supplier from Fance in the 1971 crime drama The French Connection. This film, directed by William Friedkin, has the famous car chase actually filmed on the streets of NY City where Hackman's character commandeers a Pontiac LeMans to catch up to a hitman making a getaway on an elevated train.

Rocketboy
02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Finally got around to watching Kung Fu Panda, which I bought quite a while ago. Not bad, but I expected more from all the hype.
The story was far too predictable; I felt like I'd seen it before.
Most of the animation was great. My only problem was the character's faces, which didn't seem to fit the bodies. The faces had too much of that standard Dreamworks style to them, while the bodies were far less cartoony.
The voice talent for the Furious Five was all but wasted. They each had 5-10 line in the entire movie. How do you cast Angelia Jolie, Jackie Chan, Seth Rogen, Lucy Liu, and David Cross and barely use them?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM
"The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"- Interesting film about morality that explores human desires, good and bad. This is Heath Ledger's last role and he's helped by Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell to complete the film. The performances are solid all around, especially from Chris Plummer and Tom Waits. The visuals are good and they complement the film very well. I think this is a flick that I'll appreciate (and understand) more on repeated viewings, but after watching the flick once, I will say that I enjoyed the analysis of human morality and the importance of the paths we choose. Rating- *** out of ****

:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
That's out? Are they keeping it quiet, or am I totally out of the loop?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Today in class we watched Beowulf. It was kind of a mixed bag. Some of the action was pretty cool, but most of it was over-the-top and too bloody. The animation was weird and distracting; when they try to go super-realistic with humans in CGI, it just ends up looking creepy, at least in this case. The eyes aren't expressive enough and the mouths barely move. The overall movie felt a little disjointed. Not horrible, but not that good, either.

Warped
02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I made kids watch Ewok Adeventures, the double feature. The movie rental place next to use is closing and I found it there for $9 and it looks brand new.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-16-2010, 07:17 PM
That's out? Are they keeping it quiet, or am I totally out of the loop?

You're out of the loop; it came out on Christmas and I think it got a wider release a few weeks ago. :)

Ji'dai
02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
A new medical examiner and a police inspector’s search for a brutal blood-drinking serial killer leads them to a scientist (Vincent Price) trying to create a race of supermen in the convoluted but engaging 1970 horror movie Scream and Scream Again. Christopher Lee plays a high-ranking government official and Peter Cushing has a brief role as an ill-fated foreign military officer.

Tycho
02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I watched Midway.

This is a great fighter-pilots movie about the huge air war fought over the Pacific to compete with the Japanese for islands appropriate for air bases so each nation could refuel their fighters and bombers, and then attack the other.

An older movie, it nevertheless holds up way better than The Battle of Britain or Tuskegee Airman or Memphis Belle.

Only with its state-of-the-art Michael Bay effects do the fighter scenes in Pearl Harbor top those of Midway!

Midway is a must-see, action-packed film everyone here will love. It's also a true story starring (as portrayed by actors) some of the US and Japanese Navy's greatest commanders (like US Admiral Nimitz) and our famous aircraft carriers:

The USS ENTERPRISE
The USS Hornet
The USS Yorktown (the flagship until that duty was taken over by the Enterprise).

This was the beginning of aircraft carrier warfare (WWII) and these were our proudest ships.

They were at sea during Pearl Harbor and thus not hit at the time the Japs struck our Navy in Hawaii.

We made them sorry they missed us and the fighter squadron from the Enterprise took down 3 Japanese carriers themselves, with the Hornet hitting the Japanese 4th.

Some of the fanboys around here already know ships named Enterprise always win! This was a glowing victory and one of the most awesome war movies, especially if you like fighter planes.

P-51 Mustangs (US) vs Japanese Zeros and torpedo planes. The US didn't even really have torpedoes. We bombed their flatops.

Commanding the Japanese fleet was the Admiral who struck us at Pearl Harbor.

The Enterprise made him sorry he came back!

JimJamBonds
02-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice call Tycho!

DarthQuack
02-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I've been watching the USA Olympic Curling team tank so far, a combined 0-5 for the men and women so far!

Tycho
02-18-2010, 04:30 AM
I watched Thin Red Line.

This is the Battle of Guadalcanal (WWII's road to Japan) with Jim Carvazeil, Nick Nolte, George Clooney, Woody Harrelson, Sean Penn and more in an all-star cast.

It's an art-sy war film with great nature photography mixed with its action sequences and philosophy monlogues. Different but very worth seeing.

Now that the US Navy has cleared the seas for invasion, US Marines and Army move in towards Japan, taking island by island. Guadalcanal housed another Japanese airstrip. Our bombing planes just didn't have the range in those days unless we got in close.

Ji'dai
02-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I haven't seen Midway in long time. Hopefully TCM will air it again soon. I'm not a fan of The Thin Red Line, although it's depiction of the war in the Pacific is probably closer to reality than most WWII films set in that theater.

---

Animated circles, spheres, and other geometric shapes are set to music (Franz Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2) in Oskar Fischinger’s 1937 cartoon An Optical Poem. Impressed with Fischinger’s work, Walt Disney asked the animator to work on Fantasia, but Fischinger declined, preferring to work with more abstract animation.

A musician gets involved with a woman who died at the hands of a wealthy aristocrat (Klaus Kinski), his wife, and another man during a rough S&M session in the weird 1968 film Venus in Furs.

Ji'dai
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
A multi-tentacle creature from another universe takes over the world via a rift in space in the so-so 2008 animated film Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs.

Rocketboy
02-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Law Abiding Citizen. Great premise, lame payoff. I'd heard that parts of this flick were "really messed up" (in a crazy way) but I didn't really think so.

Ji'dai
02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
A med student discovers that the cadaver her group is dissecting was a former archaeologist who discovered the remains of 50,000 Aztec sacrificial victims which now possess her corpse and seek new prey in the odd 2006 horror movie Unrest.

Tycho
02-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I watched Windtalkers.
Excellent movie and a lot of action!

This is the US vs. Japan for the possession of Saipan, enroute on the way to invade the Japanese main island.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I saw Stray Dog the other day after having the Netflix DVD for an entire week (damn being busy). I thought it was great! The Clone Wars episode Lightsaber Lost was based on this film, where a rookie cop loses his gun and gets the help of an older policeman to track it down; when the gun is used to hurt and kill other people, the rookie feels responsibility. I loved the shots that had objects obstructing the view of the subjects, and the story itself was interesting and well done. Very nice.

Rocketboy
02-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Shutter Island - Not bad, but The Departed was far better.
Not gonna spoil anything, but DiCaprio's last line in the flick is awesome.

El Chuxter
02-21-2010, 12:50 AM
I heard the last line is, "F*** you, sweetheart, I'm going to shoot you anyway and take the penguins with me." If true, agreed.

Tycho
02-21-2010, 03:27 AM
I watched Letters From Iwo Jima.

An excellent film, it really tells the story from the common Japanese soldier's point of view, and some of their greatest generals.

Man, conditions were tough defending those caves. I had some sympathy for the soldiers, but as an American, I kept remembering what they did to us at Pearl Harbor. A later movie I watched discussed the Emperor of Japan in some more detail, though that would confuse me a bit, too.

Anyway, I highly recommend "Letters" by Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg.

Rocketboy
02-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I heard the last line is, "F*** you, sweetheart, I'm going to shoot you anyway and take the penguins with me." If true, agreed.It's something along the lines of "burn, i got u gud!"

Ji'dai
02-21-2010, 09:18 AM
In an attempt to end Mom’s monopoly on dark matter fuel, the Planet Express crew is plunged into Bender’s imaginary Dungeons & Dragons alternate reality in the craptacular 2008 animated film Futurama: Bender’s Game.

JimJamBonds
02-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I watched Letters From Iwo Jima.

Another good call Tycho! And fitting time wise since Tuesday is the 65th anniversary of the raising of the flag over Mt. Sirabuchi (sp?)

Tycho
02-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Another good call Tycho! And fitting time wise since Tuesday is the 65th anniversary of the raising of the flag over Mt. Sirabuchi (sp?)

Thanks! And I just watched Flags Of Our Fathers to go with it.

The story is really interesting and shows how history is never just black and white.

I bet a majority of people don't know how that Marine Corps monument came about, or the complicated history of that story - that there were 2 flag raisings actually - and why. Also where the confusion lies in which soldiers actually raised the flag and when, who was under fire (from the snipers) and who was just under vanity orders.

And I love how Letters and Flags combine to show both sides' perspectives on the same engagements.

Clint Eastwood did such a fine job on these movies!

OC47150
02-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I watched Windtalkers.
Excellent movie and a lot of action!

This is the US vs. Japan for the possession of Saipan, enroute on the way to invade the Japanese main island.

John Woo never disappoints when it comes to action. But I would've liked to seen more focus on the code talkers in general (very interesting backstory) than Nic Cage's character.

Tycho
02-21-2010, 05:56 PM
John Woo never disappoints when it comes to action. But I would've liked to seen more focus on the code talkers in general (very interesting backstory) than Nic Cage's character.

Agreed. Such as who in the military started that program, the code talkers, and exactly how?

Why did the Navajo get chosen versus other tribes? Why did the Navajo accept? Were other tribes approached and did they reject the offer because of native-white relations in the past?

Think about it: if someone forcibly relocated you to a reservation (or your grandparents in this case), would you answer their next call for help?

What danger did the tribes face from Japan? What was their self-interest?

A movie about this would play out more as a drama - perhaps with some action sequences - but it is mostly a pre-war topic, yet very interesting.

The Pacific should touch on this, else it be remiss. The code talkers were a very important part of the western theater of the war.

Blue2th
02-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the Navajo tribe is the biggest and most numerous. A big pool of code talkers, could've been a factor, but I don't know for sure.

Indian tradition in most tribes it is the ultimate thing to fight as a warrior and achieve that status (much like a Klingon) Though treated badly in the past, most young men from the various tribes of the US were volunteering en masse during WWII.

Ji'dai
02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Captain Turonga Leela and her feminist eco-terrorist group fight to stop Leo Wong’s environment-wrecking plan to build a cosmic miniature golf course in the fun 2008 animated movie Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder.

Ando
02-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Why did the Navajo get chosen versus other tribes? Why did the Navajo accept?

Because the Navajo language is an unwritten language of extreme complexity.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-2.htm (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-2.htm)

Unless Axis code breakers knew how to speak Navajo, it's a perfect code.

Tycho
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
I watched Hiroshima.

I found this movie in the grocery store for $5 but it was exactly what I wanted.

It covers the late-in-the-war decisions by the Emperor of Japan and his top military advisers (who seem to have stolen the show in hopes of creating their own authority through conquest and turning the Emperor into a figure head even) and President Truman and all the options he and his advisors weighed before dropping the bomb:

a test detonation the Japanese would be invited to
warning the Japanese before bombing
surprise bombing - option chosen
a few others

ultimately a surprise attack was determined to be the best option, and the Enola Gay was loaded.

This is a great movie that also includes Oppenheimer and the other scientists who struggled with their consciences about this weapon.

It also spends time on the bombing of Nagasaki and why that had to happen as well - so the Japanese would know that we had and could build more a-bombs if necessary.

It's interesting because it presents the Emperor was not really in control of the war, and President Truman was not prepared to assume the leadership when Rooseveldt died, and the new President moved very cautiously, his military advisors impatient with him.

A great movie for WWII history buffs!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Last night I saw Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, which I enjoyed quite a lot. It wasn't the funniest movie ever but it was fun to see how they added in scenes from old films noir (is that how you pluralize it?) from the '40s and '50s. Of the ones in the movie, I had only seen Double Indemnity and Notorious, so I was more aware of how they had changed them.

Rocketboy
02-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Just finished up Miracle in honor the the 30th anniversary of the miracle on ice.

Ji'dai
02-23-2010, 09:34 AM
After the death of his elder brother, a man (Lon Chaney) returns home to his father (Claude Rains) and the family castle and soon finds himself cursed with lycanthropy after being bitten by an itinerant gypsy werewolf (Bela Lugosi) in the 1941 horror movie The Wolf Man. First time viewing for me!

Ando
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I watched "The Last House on the Left" last night.

The parents in this movie make Liam Neeson look like he's handing out hugs and kisses in "Taken"!

Very violent, and fairly predictable, but no less enjoyable.

Tycho
02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I watched Hannibal Rising.

Hannibal's story launches out of his PTSD syndrome left over from World War II where a looter gang cannibalized his little sister and Hannibal sets out ever yearning for revenge after that. He's really an anti-hero and never was the bad guy in the "Silence of the Lambs" movies.

The young Hannibal has an affair with his equally young, sexy Japanese aunt (by marriage), and she tries to help cover up his murders. But are they murders or are they justice?

The police inspector investigating Hannibal cannot condone his behavior but secretly sympathizes with him as well, in conjunction with his pursuit of Nazi war criminals.

Human trafficking for sex slaves is also brought up by this film.

This is a really interesting movie.

Slicker
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I watched Zombieland again and I also watch Step Brothers for about the 30th time. No exaggeration.

Rocketboy
02-24-2010, 01:59 AM
I watched Zombieland again and I also watch Step Brothers for about the 30th time. No exaggeration.Wow, me too!
Coincidence?

Nope.

Tycho
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
I watched The Shawshank Redemption.

Slicker
02-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I watched The Shawshank Redemption.That is probably one of the very few movies that is worth the hype.

Ji'dai
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
A fence (a young Brad Dourif - Doc Cochran on HBO’s Deadwood) kills a yuppie couple and steals their car, unaware of the couple’s toddler in the backseat until he delivers the goods to his boss (Paul L. Smith - Bluto in the 1980 live-action Popeye movie) and his transvestite “wife” (David “Kill Bill” Carradine) who raise the boy to kill until they lose control of him in the horrible 1990 horror film Sonny Boy. Though the movie sucks, the massive Smith does his best Bluto impersonation once again and it’s fun to see Carradine’s transvestite character’s hair and fashion changes over the years.

Old Fossil
02-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I watched "Bronson," based on the true story of Britain's most notorious inmate. I'm usually not into "prison movies" but this was so off-the-wall, darkly hilarious and bizarre that I couldn't help being captivated from the first minute.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:1/2 out of :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rocketboy
02-24-2010, 10:54 PM
That is probably one of the very few movies that is worth the hype.Agreed.

I love the part where Andy asks Red why they call him Red and Red responds with something like, "It's because I'm Irish." That same line is in the original story but Red is a white guy, but it so much better with Morgan Freeman.

Tycho
02-25-2010, 04:00 AM
Morgan Freeman is an incredible actor and he's in so many of the movies I've liked.

I like the line at the end of the movie where Freeman is narrating and says that he'd "like to think the last thing that went through Norton's head - other than that bullet - was 'how in the hell did Andy get the better of him?"

I'm all for Morgan Freeman continuing to get a lot more parts in new movies I'm sure to enjoy.

I just watched Mississippi Burning. (Willhem Dafoe and Gene Hackman).

There are two more great actors who've played many good parts.

jonthejedi
02-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Hackman slapping Dafoe around physically & verbally is classic, right up there with his French Connection stuff. I just rewatched Memento recently.

JimJamBonds
02-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Lost And Found: The Legacy Of The USS Lagarto. The Lagarto was one of 28 subs that was built in my hometown during WW II, she was sunk in the final month of the war, about 4 years ago she was found again in the Gulf of Sipan (Thailand). What I watched was a documentary of her story.

Flags For Our Fathers, with the 65th anniversary of the battle of Iwo Jima currently happening I thought Flags was an good choice.

Ji'dai
02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
An itinerant musician (Antonio Banderas) with a guitar case full of guns hunts for the drug boss who killed his girl and maimed him in Robert Rodriguez’s fun 1995 action film Desperado. The lovely Salma Hayek costars as a bookstore owner and Cheech Marin plays a bartender in a Mexican dive. Also features Steve Buscemi and Quentin Tarantino in small bit parts.

Tycho
02-26-2010, 06:17 AM
I watched Men of Honor tonight, Navy Diver.

Ji'dai
02-26-2010, 08:19 AM
A mercenary (Yul Brynner) is hired to help Mexican revolutionaries capture a gold shipment from a corrupt Austrian colonel during the reign of Emperor Maximilian in the okay 1970 western Adios, Sabata.

Ji'dai
02-27-2010, 09:19 AM
After paying a witch to cast a spell on his unfaithful wife and kill her unborn child, a man discovers his destiny and learns of an otherworldly society consisting of the forces of good and evil balanced precariously on an uneasy truce in the 2004 Russian horror movie Night Watch. I watched the sequel to this movie some time last year so it was nice to finally see the first one and learn how the story began. q.v. Day Watch (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=686476&postcount=2376) (2006).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-27-2010, 11:20 AM
After paying a witch to cast a spell on his unfaithful wife and kill her unborn child, a man discovers his destiny and learns of an otherworldly society consisting of the forces of good and evil balanced precariously on an uneasy truce in the 2004 Russian horror movie Night Watch. I watched the sequel to this movie some time last year so it was nice to finally see the first one and learn how the story began. q.v. Day Watch (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=686476&postcount=2376) (2006).

I've seen "Night Watch" but still need to view "Day Watch." I enjoyed the first flick a while ago and liked it for the most part. Very interesting and unique story with cool visuals (the blood/dripping subtitles were a great idea).

"The Book of Eli"- Interesting premise and it does feature some good shots of an apocalyptic America, but overall the film is way too disjointed and clunky for my tastes. I never really understood Gary Oldman's character and what he wanted the "book" for and the ideas surrounding the good/bad about the "book" went nowhere. I did enjoy the music score though and I didn't see the twist ending coming at all........, but still, just not a well executed flick. Rating- ** out of **** :thumbsup:

Slicker
02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I went and watched Cop Out last night. It was pretty funny but a bit long as well. It was only an hour and fifty minutes but the majority of the jokes took a bit to set up (the previews from TV literally happen in the first 5 minutes).

Tycho
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I watched Malcolm X.

The turbulent 50's and 60's, man...

Tycho
02-28-2010, 03:54 AM
I watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

I like this movie more with each viewing.

Ji'dai
02-28-2010, 09:30 AM
A disaffected tough-as-nails army major (Lee Marvin) is ordered to turn a group of condemned men convicted of capital crimes into an effective fighting unit to be dropped into occupied France to raid a chateau and kill as many enemy officers staying there as possible in the fun 1967 war picture The Dirty Dozen.

Snowtrooper
02-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I watched Shadow of the Vampire last night and its a strange but entertaining movie. Its based on a story that Max Schreck, the actor who played Count Orlock in the 1922 film Nosferatu was indeed a vampire. The director, FW Murnau(John Malkovich) wanted to make a Dracula picture, but the estate of Bram Stoker would not allow it. To get around it, he changes the names of the characters and hires an actor named Max Schreck to play Count Orlock(its rumoured to be the opposite though). Schreck(Willem Dafoe) is a real vampire and his reward for letting Murnau film him is that he will be allowed to devour the main actress at the end.

Dafoe plays a very convincing Count Orlock and Malkovich is good as Murnau. I always liked the original Nosferatu and this is a nice side story to that picture. Its an odd movie, but still fun to watch, especially if your a fan of the original Nosferatu.

Tycho
03-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I watched Hoffa with Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito.

Union boss Jimmy Hoffa makes a deal with the Mafia to help him win the Teamsters' big labor strike and is attacked by Robert Kennedy, and accused of being a Communist, in this true story. Tensions break into open violence as labor pushes to force reform upon our capitalist society.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Three movies today, thanks to class and various friends.

Delicatessen was fairly interesting, if a little too quirky for quirkiness' sake. Pretty good overall.

I expected Food, Inc. to be more groundbreaking than it was, as I had heard most of what was discussed here already. Not bad, but not great.

I hadn't seen a full Wes Anderson movie until Bottle Rocket and I wasn't that impressed. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but it was kind of disjointed and strange and I didn't care about any of the characters. Eh.

Tycho
03-03-2010, 04:38 AM
I watched JFK.

In 2038 the public will supposedly be able to read the files on how our own CIA likely executed our President in the interest of "National Security," and I hope to be alive to read it.

I don't think any of us will still be breathing when the truth about how black ops ordered by those within our own government set up Sept. 11th.

Too bad really. I don't necessarily believe the conspiracy theories, but they are possible and lended credit when information is being kept secret from the public.

In any case, there might be rationale for "sacraficing some, for the good of all," but naturally I want to know and understand the truth in all this. Then I'll make up my own mind whether national economic stability was worth it, or plain and simple greed was behind the cause.

Vietnam was both. Both reasons would factor in to why "we" wanted war against communism. Kennedy wasn't playing ball with this, so there was cause for elements in our government to execute him.

History's probably repeating itself in a new twist with the war on terror.

OC47150
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I watched JFK.

In 2038 the public will supposedly be able to read the files on how our own CIA likely executed our President in the interest of "National Security," and I hope to be alive to read it.

I don't think any of us will still be breathing when the truth about how black ops ordered by those within our own government set up Sept. 11th.

Too bad really. I don't necessarily believe the conspiracy theories, but they are possible and lended credit when information is being kept secret from the public.

In any case, there might be rationale for "sacraficing some, for the good of all," but naturally I want to know and understand the truth in all this. Then I'll make up my own mind whether national economic stability was worth it, or plain and simple greed was behind the cause.

Now that Teddy's gone, I could see the JFK files opened sooner.

Watched Zombieland a second time. It was more enjoyable than the first.

The Dam Busters (1954), a fact-based account on the RAF plan to blow up dams in Germany's Ruhr Valley.

Desperate Journey. Errol Flynn and Ronald Reagan are RAF pilots shot down deep inside Germany and traverse through enemy territory to get vital information back to Allied hands.

The Seventh Cross. Spencer Tracy escapes from a concentration camp in late 1930s Germany and seeks escape from Europe.

Tycho
03-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Now that Teddy's gone, I could see the JFK files opened sooner.

The sealed files aren't to protect the Kennedys. They are sealed so the public doesn't lynch former Pres. George H.W. Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, amongst others who might be implicated in the Kennedy assasination, let alone the bureaucrats and others in the intelligence community who are still alive today.

These possible purpetraitors did have potential motive, whether or not they were involved and thought they were acting on behalf of themselves, the best interests of those inside their cult of who they think is "the real Americans" or "the real Christians," or the best interest of their country (who I refer to in order to mean "the general public").

Meanwhile, as Kennedy would have pulled out of Vietnam, where we were trying to tell native people what to do in their own household (the USSR provided needed aid and attention when the rest of the world had ignored Vietnam since WWI and the French were later free in the international community to subjegate it), President Johnson - who might have also been amongst the Kennedy assasination conspirators, escalated the Vietnam War.

That brings me to the latest film I watched, Good Morning Vietnam.
Starring Robin Williams and Forrest Whitaker, it's funny but it also is inspired by truth. The movie climaxes around the censorship of the media regarding the reporting of the truth about the war in Vietnam, as Williams' character, Adrian Kronauer, is compelled to move beyond being a funny D.J. and starts to tell what is really going on with the war against the Viet Cong insurgency who strike with terrorism.

2-1B
03-05-2010, 09:24 PM
I watched Jumper last night, kinda crusty but otherwise ok. I wonder if Sam Jackson will ever get to 'kill' H Christ on the big screen???

Maybe Sam'll show up in the sequel, Jumper 2.

Or maybe they can design some architecture together on a future project instead of acting together.

I hadn't seen a full Wes Anderson movie until Bottle Rocket and I wasn't that impressed. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but it was kind of disjointed and strange and I didn't care about any of the characters. Eh.

"eh" is right, that's a rough movie...he's made much better stuff since then.

Tycho
03-06-2010, 12:08 AM
I watched Full Metal Jacket. "Do you think that's funny, Private Joker?"

"Hell, I like you. I like you a lot. Maybe I'll come over to your house and screw your sister."

Tycho
03-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I just watched Platoon.

"Everybody dies."

JimJamBonds
03-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Role Models.

UKWildcat
03-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I watched Full Metal Jacket. "Do you think that's funny, Private Joker?"

"Hell, I like you. I like you a lot. Maybe I'll come over to your house and screw your sister."

I just watched Platoon.

"Everybody dies."

Both phenomenal movies! You should have participated in our Academy Awards Movie Challenge Tycho... :(

Bel-Cam Jos
03-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Saw Alice in Wonderland in 3-D yesterday. Even for a Tim Burton film, this was weird. I think combining Carroll's curiouser style with Burton's oddity is a potentially deadly concoction. But it was really good. Slow at first, got a bit jumbled up and meandering, then came together and ended quite well. Visually striking, as most CGI films are now, of course.

Blue2th
03-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Pandorum not too bad of a Science fiction flick.

Tycho
03-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I watched Casualties of War. In Vietnam, a sergeant (Sean Penn) and members of his squad kidnap a Vietnamese teenage girl to repeatedly rape and eventually kill as they trek through the jungle. Married team member Michael J. Fox objects and sets in motion his own plan to free her, all the while aware that his sergeant saved his life from the NVA and he owes the men his life.

This is based on a true story.

In light of the continuing rape-murders in our domestic life, man's nature never shocks me. There were times in Vietnam (as in all wars) where it got a chance to get loose and unrestrained. (The young soldiers in the film were previously restricted to base camp so they couldn't act on their plans to go into town to get themselves prostitutes.) This movie is about Michael J. Fox trying to get justice.

JimJamBonds
03-07-2010, 07:09 PM
The Goods.

Tycho
03-08-2010, 04:03 AM
I watched Hamburger Hill.

Welcome to the meat grinder, gentlemen. Have a nice stay in Vietnam!

How the Vietnamese dug out tunnels and were right underneath the American positions was nerve rattling. I'd hate to be assigned "tunnel rat" if I were a GI.

The Japanese did this on Iwo Jima as well. I'm sure that in the Far East they were tunnel and cave fighting for a long, long time.

Osama Bin Laden is not original.

Tycho
03-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Tonight I watched We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson and Sam Elliot.

A good movie about the American soldier's changing experience with the Vietnam War, but Mel Gibson seems to insist on there being too much of his religion put into all his more recent films. Now how come he can only act like a Christian in front of a camera but lives a life of hypocrisy in his real life?

Probably because he fits in perfectly with my own suspicions about everyone else who prostelitizes as well.

But We Were Hypocrites Soldiers is a good movie worthy of any Vietnam collection.

Blue2th
03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
It's called Confession, then you can do what sins you want till you wipe them away with another "forgive me father for I have sinned" :rolleyes:

Old Fossil
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Tonight I watched We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson and Sam Elliot.

A good movie about the American soldier's changing experience with the Vietnam War, but Mel Gibson seems to insist on there being too much of his religion put into all his more recent films. Now how come he can only act like a Christian in front of a camera but lives a life of hypocrisy in his real life?

Probably because he fits in perfectly with my own suspicions about everyone else who prostelitizes as well.

But We Were Hypocrites Soldiers is a good movie worthy of any Vietnam collection.

I never saw the movie, but I read the great book We Were Soldiers Once... And Young on which it was based. It was required reading in a VietNam War course I took years ago. There was not much in the way of religion in the book, which was mostly a narrative account.

Gotta be on your guard when Gibson dabbles in history, usually making it Mel-story instead.

Tycho
03-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I watched Born On The 4th Of July.

Tom Cruise plays a wounded Vietnam War veteran who returns home to an angry country and begins to change his feelings about the war.

This is an incredible performance.

DarkArtist
03-10-2010, 08:23 AM
went to see Alice in Wonderland last night. loved the movie, freaky Tim Burton at his best..... might actually have to get this on Blu-Ray when it comes out.... very enjoyable.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
The Man With One Red Shoe. Underrated, odd film, that includes Carrie Fisher in a tiger print bikini. :lipsrsealed: Has one of my favorite, little-heard lines: "No, Mom. I'm not watchin' TV, I'm... I'm practicin'. I'm practicin'!"

Tycho
03-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I watched Heaven and Earth. This is Oliver Stone's 3rd Vietnam movie after Platoon and Born on the 4th of July.

It's based on a true story of a Vietnamese family's struggle with sons that fight with the North Vietnamese Army and daughters that marry American soldiers. Tommy Lee Jones plays one of the Americans who relocates the family from Vietnam and brings them to San Diego after the fall of Saigon.

The music is incredible and the film drives home the immigrant experience in the United States that is familiar to all the refugees who emigrate here after our forces have been in combat in their nation of origin.

Finally, the new American Vietnamese wife and her half-American children return to visit their family in Vietnam in an emotional reunion that examines the true fall-out of the war.

Excellent movie!

Tycho
03-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I watched American Gangster.

This is another true story portrayed by Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe.

Heroin is being shipped in from Southeast Asia in the coffins of our dead soldiers that were killed in Vietnam. A drug empire is founded and criminal gangs vie for control.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I watched World's Greatest Dad, which I thought was great for the most part. It was very dark but a great commentary on various aspects of our society. Robin Williams is usually pretty interesting in drama, even if he tries too hard in comedy.

Tycho
03-14-2010, 04:29 AM
I watched First Blood. This is the original Rambo movie and it's very good for a running action - survival movie. It still holds its own. But in all honesty, as I recall them, the first one is my least-favorite Rambo movie.

Tycho
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
First Blood Part 2 is actually my favorite Rambo movie.

John Rambo returns to Vietnam to investigate POW camps which might still be holding American prisoners.

An extremely brief but emotionally passionate love interest develops for him and a Vietnamese girl that's actually an American agent on the ground there in Communist controlled post-war Vietnam.

Excellent movie with much more plot and character development than the first film. Plus Rambo gets his famous bow and arrow set in this one.

OC47150
03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I watched First Blood. This is the original Rambo movie and it's very good for a running action - survival movie. It still holds its own. But in all honesty, as I recall them, the first one is my least-favorite Rambo movie.

I like First Blood. Rambo breaking out of the sheriff's office is my favorite part. The novel is actually set in central Kentucky in the middle of summer.

Rambo 3 is my favorite. Like the idea that he has to go help his mentor.

Saw Green Zone. It's loosely based on a book I've read part of, but the similarity between the two are anorexic. It's a decent shoot 'em up.

From Paris with Love, with Travolta. Boy, Travolta plays the off-beat characters great. Good action flick.

Also watched Broken Arrow and Face/Off, two other great Travolta movies. John Woo is the master of the ballestic ballet!

JimJamBonds
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I watched Army of Darkness the other day, it never gets old and I still love it!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I just saw Funny People. I really liked it, but it felt a tad too long. I'm not sure what could have been cut, but still.

Tycho
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I watched Charlie Wilson's War. The Tom Hanks / Julia Roberts movie sets up the present situation in Afghanistan very clearly. We made Osama Bin Laden and al-Quaeda and the Taliban possible with our covert-arms supplies so as to ensnare and exact costs out of the Soviet Union.

We did it so secretly, through Israel, Egypt, and Pakistan, and then we abandoned the Afghans so that they don't really know that it was the US that helped liberate them from the Russians. Therefore, their demagogues haven't had as much trouble persuading their fighters that America is their enemy.

Meanwhile, check out Congressman Wilson's "professional staff," especially Jailbate! :love: This guy knew how to exploit his office (true story). But it also illustrates how taxpayer money gets thrown around Capitol Hill like it means nothing, by people who get lucky if they do some good spending it, but don't have a clue as to what they are really doing half the time.

Anyway, I highly recommend this 2008 movie.

bigbarada
03-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I watched Astro Boy last night and I now understand why it completely flopped at the box office. I had really high hopes for this, but the first 3/4 of the movie turned out to be just a kiddie-fied version of the Kubrick/Spielberg film A.I. from 2001. Tack on 10 minutes of action at the end of the film, make the last 10 seconds the most interesting part of the entire movie, then cut to the credits and hope for a sequel. That pretty much sums up my impression of the movie.

Too slow and introspective for a kid's movie, too shallow and predictable to interest adults.

Tycho
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I watched Rambo III.

It was very good and delivered a powerful look into why the Afghan people fight so hard for their independence due to the injustices they have been served by occupying countries who have invaded them.

The Taliban or al-Qaeda are only 2 of many causes some Afghan people will rally around when either offers them hope - which might just come down to a meal, medical supplies, a change of clothing, and a protected place to sleep.

It's very hard to imagine that people there could pull off September 11th and the fact lends itself to my own conspiracy theory about our government playing out a black ops mission right under our own citizens' noses. But the official account of 9-11 is possible - just amazing that the hijackers were able to pull it off.

Since the times that Rambo III was set in, the mahajeen fighters have gotten much more funding and training - in part due to Congressman Wilson as the movie I watched the other day focused on.

Anyway, helping the Afghans seems to be a black and white moral decision that Rambo makes, once he is thrust into the situation he tried to avoid before. Only now, Colonel Troutman, Rambo's training officer, superior, and pretty much father-figure, has been captured by the Soviets when Troutman went ahead with the mission without John Rambo.

The movie is about Troutman's rescue story, but it nevertheless really illustrates the Afghan cause.

Blue2th
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Just saw HBO's The Pacific last night. Apparently you just have to sign up there and you can view it for free.

Fairly authentic so far. Most war movies in the past use whatever is available as far as hardware, planes, and vehicles which is usually later in the war stuff because there are not much of the early war stuff available.

They got some real Higgins landing craft. The airplanes, though probably just CGI at this point flying over them were F4F Wildcats. They even had a shot of some dive bombers flying by which not only were the correct ones, but they also had the early 1942 red dotted star insignia and red and white candy striped tail rudders.
So far so good. Not sure what model of truck the Marines found abandoned but it looked Japanese.

Guess we'll have to see what Henderson field looks like and whether the US aircraft will be the correct for 1942. It's what after all they are fighting over.

My favorite scene was when the Marines were looking at the sea battle taking place from their vantage point on a hill thinking the US was winning, but in reality the US got pasted by the Imperial Japanese Navy and had to abandon them for a while.

Anyways, regardless of the authentic look to the series, the story and actors are good. Gonna have to view more of the series, to see if it measures up to Band of Brothers. I'm just happy there's more of the Spielberg, Hanks WWII productions to enjoy.

JimJamBonds
03-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Just saw HBO's The Pacific last night. Apparently you just have to sign up there and you can view it for free.

My understanding is that that was just for the first episode.

As for myself I watched Miss March last night, I'd really like that time back if possible.

Tycho
03-20-2010, 06:58 AM
I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

During the Vietnam War Victor Creed starts trouble when he possibly attempts to rape a Vietnamese national and the other troops try to stop him. While disapproving, his brother James Logan comes to Creed's defense and American troops are killed.

For slaying fellow officers, the brothers are put before a military firing squad but their immortality is discovered when there doesn't seem to be any effective way to put them down.

They are recruited by Colonel Stryker who wants to put them on a special ops team due to their unique skills.

Logan soon learns that the special ops team is only a cover for Stryker's less than sanctioned goals to forward his personal agenda with mutant human beings - and he'll use any and all methods at his disposal. Logan quits the team.

Some years later, in 1979, Creed turns up still working with Stryker and hunting down mutants to help Stryker create "Weapon X (no, 10)."

Logan becomes involved when Stryker uses trickery to re-enlist him.

Three Mile Island is the end result, as well the creation of the mutant hero, Wolverine!

El Chuxter
03-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Wow. That makes me glad I never watched that movie.

bigbarada
03-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow. That makes me glad I never watched that movie.

Yeah, Wolverine is really not a good movie. Here's hoping that the franchise gets a cinematic reboot and we can forget about all 4 previous X-Men films.

Tycho
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is probably my favorite X-men movie.

Hugh Jackman is the perfect Wolverine and the story is as realistic as it can get with the general suspense of disbelief required for a superhero movie.

I love that.

Liev Schreiber is great as Sabertooth (Victor Creed) and we learn what really created the blood-feud between them (Jimmy's love interest of course - but she too had a power and was being used by Stryker).

Gambit makes a great debut here, and we see a young Professor Charles Xavier first take in the teenage Scott Summers (Cyclops).

And we know why Logan has lost his memory.

This is one of my favorite superhero movies of all-time.

El Chuxter
03-20-2010, 07:59 PM
T, you weren't especially familiar with the established backstory(ies) for Wolvie prior to the movie, were you?

sith_killer_99
03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I just finished watching "Sorority Row"!!! I love the slashed genre!

Am I the only one who thought Maggie was played by Danica McKellar? Turns out it was actually Caroline D'Amore.

Tycho
03-21-2010, 03:02 AM
No Chuxter, I was not. The bright colors, crazy powers, and wild costumes of many superheroes turn me off and I don't usually follow them - and also why I like Batman so much. Plus I like war stories, or heroes emerging from war stories (like Luke Skywalker).

So with no original in mind, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine earned a new fan in me.

They did the X-men films much more realistically, like Smallville (sometimes) portrays the origins of Superman.

Speaking of heroes emerging from war stories, I have now begun watching my complete series of The A-Team on DVD, starting with Season 1.

I have been cringing at the thought of Liam Neeson playing Hannibal Smith. No one but George Peppard could have done that act! Now there I do swear by the original!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-21-2010, 04:37 PM
No Chuxter, I was not. The bright colors, crazy powers, and wild costumes of many superheroes turn me off and I don't usually follow them - and also why I like Batman so much. Plus I like war stories, or heroes emerging from war stories (like Luke Skywalker).

I have been cringing at the thought of Liam Neeson playing Hannibal Smith. No one but George Peppard could have done that act! Now there I do swear by the original!But yet you've been to Comic-Con several times? That seems an odd combination.

Well, unless you want The Z-Team (Zombie) Tycho, it will have to be any living actor portraying Hannibal.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
In the last few days, I've seen Nosferatu and Predator. Neither were too exceptional but they were both good for what they are (meaning Nosferatu delivered on the creepy and Predator delivered on the action).

Tycho
03-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Bel-Cam Jos: they always had Star Wars, Star Trek, and Terminator stuff at Comic Con, plus superheroes like Bale's Batman, Tom Welling's Clark Kent, Jackman's Wolverine etc. have been performed much more realistically.

I tried to read the Doomsday book "The Death of Superman" or whatever it's called and found it unreadable to my taste. But Smallville, with a larger budget for more stunts and longer action sequences, rocks that character's legend.

The Dark Knight films are at the pinnacle of Superhero movies.

And Origins: Wolverine rocks, as did both Bana's and Norton's Hulk, and McGuire's Spider-Man. Spidey is the big exception for me, as except when he wore the symbiont, his spidey-suit has always been over-the-top. But the movie established a great reason for that with his wrestling performance (to get the car to impress Mary-Jane).

As to Hannibal Smith? Maybe cast Nick Nolte or Gary Busey. I'm not sure how they are doing these days, but those are options, as might be the guy who played Captain Pike in the latest Star Trek film.

Liam Neeson is a great actor and I'm a fan. I just don't see him as Hannibal. I'd love to see him return as Rhas a-Guhl in the Batman films.

Ando
03-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Over the weekend, my wife and I viewed the following:

- In Plain Sight, season 2, disc 3. Good show, looking forward to Season 3 starting next week on USA.

- Whatever Works. A Woody Allen movie with Larry David. I wanted to see this in the theater but never saw it come out. I should have take the hint. The trailer had all the funny stuff in it. We watched this on Saturday on Starz ON Demand.

- The Proposal. We had no interest in seeing this in the theater, but watched it yesterday (also on Starz ON Demand). For a lazy Sunday, this was a likeable movie, and much more entertaining than Whatever Works.

- The Bounty Hunter. The wife and I saw this on Friday night. I laughed more than she did. She didn't like it as much as I did, and I think it was about 15-20 minutes too long. Gerard Butler is good at comedy (The Ugly Truth is surprisingly funny) and Jennifer Aniston is just sad now. They should have called this "He's Out of Her League".

- To clear the palate and remind myself why I don't like to gamble too much in one weekend with my viewing entertainment, I fired up Iron Man. I can't wait to see the new one in May.

JimJamBonds
03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I finally got around to watching The Hangover yesterday. I thought it was ok but nothing all that special.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
"W."- Really interesting film depicting W's move into the White House as well as examining his personal life before he was elected. All of the performances are solid as each person was perfectly cast in their respective roles. Brolin does a great job as Bush Jr. I have to say the film was far more sympathetic than I expected and regardless of how you feel about the guy, I will say I found the film interesting and entertaining. Rating- *** out of ****

JimJamBonds
03-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I finished Season I of Deadwood tonight, Season II will start shortly! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
In the midst of channel surfing HBO, I had to stop at John Hughes' Baby's Day Out. Dumb, sappy, improbable, and totally hilarious! One of my favorites! Lots of slapstick.

Great for little kids, especially. Highly recommended for the little ones.

El Chuxter
03-28-2010, 12:49 AM
4.5/5ths of the Planet of the Apes series. (I was watching Battle quite late, and fell asleep.) The first is a true classic in every sense of the world. The others have been fun, but increasingly make you wonder if anyone involved actually watched the movies that came before. More continuity holes than post-Crisis Hawkman.

Tycho
03-28-2010, 09:52 AM
JimJam: how is Deadwood? I'm curious to take a look myself.

I am watching Season 2 of The A-Team now.

The team goes up against a para-military security firm in the episode I just watched.

It's interesting as that post-Vietnam, these companies like Blackwater of recent days, got their start and their patronage by those in the Pentagon and Hawks in Congress.

Faceman (Dirk Benedict) starts a fling with future ally and reporter Tanya Baker who had infiltrated the sercurity firm to cover a story, and finds out that the security firm is contracted to assasinate an Arabic political leader so as to effect a regime change and a more favorable position for American interests in the oil trading market.

I was interrupted by a friend while I was watching this, so I have to finish the episode, but there was the implication that the security firm's contract went all the way up to the CIA in this shady deal.

That it was government sanctioned isn't a surprising plot development, but that Hannibal and the team who were betrayed by our government are now going to throw a monkey-wrench into the plan amuses me.

Also they infiltrate the high security firm's corporate headquarters by posing as air conditioning repair men - after they put a live skunk into the air conditioner! Haha.

DarkArtist
03-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Watched Home Alone 2 as it was on ABC Family yesterday then watched ROTS for the first time in over a year or so. was thinking of having an all our SW day with back to back to back movies and then interspliced with the Clone Wars animated series.

JimJamBonds
03-28-2010, 11:07 AM
JimJam: how is Deadwood? I'm curious to take a look myself..

Awesome! It'd be well worth your time to take that look. :D

El Chuxter
03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
T, Deadwood is one of the greatest shows in the history of TV and it's a travesty it didn't continue past season 3. I know the violence, nudity, profanity, etc, won't offend you, so you should definitely check it out.

Ando
03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
On Fiday night, the wife and I went to see "Hot Tub Time Machine". She hated it, I loved it. No surprise there.

Over the weekend I watched a few episodes of "Monster Quest" which I am really into now and a few movies on Comcast ON DEMAND.

"The Lucky Ones" with Tim Robbins, Rachel McAdams, and Michael Pena. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

I also watched My Best Friend's Girl. Dane Cook being Dane Cook. It was like his movie "Good Luck Chuck" in reverse. Eh. Amusing in places.

"Year One" was another clunker, but it was free/ON DEMAND. Again, amusing in places. Don't pay for it.

"Wolverine" on ON DEMAND. I actually enjoyed it better in the comfort of my own home. I didn't enjoy it in the theater last spring. Maybe I liked it better because my brain was completely shut down at this point in the weekend.

After "Wolverine", I started watching "Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg on TBS last night, but the DVR started recording "Family Guy" and "Undercover Boss". This is my new favorite reality show. I like reality shows only when they focus on real people doing their jobs, not competing for love or money. I consider those game shows.

I actually spent a lot of time indoors watching the TV this weekend and for the most part, I really enjoyed lazing about and relaxing.

ncbarrett
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Over the weekend, we watched some Enterprise(season 1) episodes, and some Everybody Loves Raymond(season 3&4)too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-29-2010, 02:47 PM
"G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra"- Ya know, there are parts of the movie that I enjoyed and those parts are the ridiculous action sequences; the CGI was really iffy during some of those scenes, but it gave the flick a very bad sort of enjoyment. Those scenes are fun to watch, but once any sort of "acting" or plot is when the film loses track. Plus, you get some really, REALLY stupid flashbacks that connect so many characters and it makes things pretty goofy. Also, Marlon Wayans was just.....bad. Very bad. Rating- ** out of ****

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-29-2010, 06:39 PM
It's been a while since I posted in here, so let's see:

Greenberg - A pretty okay film starring Ben Stiller. Nothing too earth-shattering. The movie moved at such a slow pace that there was a sleepy feeling about it.

Seven Samurai - Pretty damn great. It was around 3 hours and 20 minutes but didn't feel like it. I think Rashomon is still my favorite Kurosawa movie, but this one was up there.

The Magnificent Seven - Both this and Seven Samurai were on the DVR for a long time, so we watched the Japanese original the day before the American remake. I also really liked this one; it was perhaps more "fun" than the Japanese version. I liked how they gave the bandits more character in this version (and Eli Wallach is cool, so there you go).

El Chuxter
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
The Magnificent Seven is like a who's who of American badarses.

Tycho
03-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Over the weekend, we watched some Enterprise(season 1) episodes, too.

I liked Enterprise. Deep Space Nine will always be my favorite Star Trek, but Kirk's command my favorite crew, yet Enterprise was a good show. I wish it had continued. The final season it got to be at its best.

I am now convinced the A-Team is more resourceful than GI Joe! There is no way Duke or even Hawk is smarter than Hannibal Smith. In fact, I'd love to see a movie where Cobra Commander and Destro have their butts handed to them by The A-Team.

The team probably couldn't take Stormshadow though. They'd need Snakeyes for sure.

But Faceman could sleep with Baroness - no problem there. The only question would be who would be on top. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-01-2010, 04:28 AM
The Invention of Lying - Not really a laugh-out-loud comedy, but pretty clever and interesting. But a friend was talking during much of it so I'm not sure; I probably won't see it again but it was pretty good.

Hot Tub Time Machine - For the love of God, just stay the hell away from this movie. I like toilet humor just as much as the next guy, but this was just beyond dumb. A friend recommended that I and some other friends see this since this was apparently, according to her, not only in line with our sense of humor but also life-changing; I can assure you that it was most certainly neither. :dead: It was pretty fun to make fun of it in the theater, though perhaps I was occasionally too loud for the other viewers . . . oh well, it was just awful.

JimJamBonds
04-01-2010, 10:24 AM
All three seasons of Deadwood in the last week.

sonofsokol
04-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I took the family to see How to Train Your Dragon. I really enjoyed it and so did my 4-year-old. We saw it in 3D, but I don't think it really added a lot to the experience.

El Chuxter
04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
My daughter loves Mask of the Phantasm now. (We've been on a DCAU kick the past few days.)

The best scene in the entire history of the character: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K1qNsE9v0.

JimJamBonds
04-02-2010, 12:13 PM
WOLVERINES! I watched Red Dawn last night, I'd forgotten the 'all star' cast that is in it. Swayze, Lea Thompson, Chaz Sheen, Baby and Cy Tolliver.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2010, 03:38 AM
I just saw Alien 3. I thought it was pretty good, but not quite up to par with the first two. Seeing the alien switch from a guy in a suit to stop-motion to a puppet was odd, as the limbs kept changing sizes. Oh well, pretty good overall.

nohagent
04-04-2010, 05:39 AM
I just saw "I love you, Man". I feel like the groom with no real friends. Just like him I spent to much time in relationships. Now I am divorced and realize I have only aquaintances. Damn this sucks

Tycho
04-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Maybe I should be thankful. I've only had short-lived relationships (about 2 years, a little more).

But I've had best friends for over 20 years.

Reminds me of what I'm watching: The A-Team Season 3.

But I have no friends with mohawks and bling or that have been committed to a psychiatric ward.

But that's probably a good thing.

OC47150
04-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I just saw Alien 3. I thought it was pretty good, but not quite up to par with the first two. Seeing the alien switch from a guy in a suit to stop-motion to a puppet was odd, as the limbs kept changing sizes. Oh well, pretty good overall.

The quad-pack of Alien movies has the director's cut of Alien 3. Alternate beginning and alternate ending. I'd like to see it, but not willing to buy a pack of movies just to get it.

X-Files 2: I Want to Believe. I missed this in the theatre. I found it yesterday at WM for $4 and said, what the heck. It was good. I enjoyed the first movie, but this is what the first movie should've been more like, an extended ep.

The Blue Max and Fly Boys. Both are WWI flying movies. The Blue Max stars George Peppard and was made in the '60s using real WWI-style aircraft. Fly Boys is more recent, has James Franco, and much of the flying scenes were CG. Both were enjoyable, but gotta wonder if the technology now available would make the Blue Max better or worst.

Tycho
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
The Blue Max and Fly Boys. Both are WWI flying movies. The Blue Max stars George Peppard and was made in the '60s using real WWI-style aircraft. Fly Boys is more recent, has James Franco, and much of the flying scenes were CG. Both were enjoyable, but gotta wonder if the technology now available would make the Blue Max better or worst.

As you know, I love those movies. I'm watching George Peppard as Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith, leader of The A-Team now. Murdoch does their flying. But I like Peppard's acting. He was great in The Blue Max, and Flyboys is a terriffic war movie. I loved what they could do with the CGI for that one - especially the battle against the Zepplin on the bombing run.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I just saw State of Play, not a movie I would have picked. It was pretty good, though, if somewhat boring for the first stretch of the film.

Rocketboy
04-05-2010, 12:14 AM
X-Files 2: I Want to Believe. I missed this in the theatre. I found it yesterday at WM for $4 and said, what the heck. It was good. I enjoyed the first movie, but this is what the first movie should've been more like, an extended ep. This movie got a lot of crap from almost everyone, but I really liked it also. I was glad it wasn't a big, overblown story dealing with the show's mythology, since I tended to like the "Monster of the Week" episodes over the mythology ones.

My wife even liked it and she doesn't like sci-fi much, but I think that fact that it was more of a mystery movie than an alien scf-fi flick helped a great deal.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-05-2010, 01:08 AM
I just saw Alien: Resurrection. It has some moderately cool moments but overall it's quite crappy. There was really no reason it had to be made and it fits poorly with the other three. Having seen both the Alien and Predator films, I'm debating whether or not to waste my time with the Alien vs. Predator crossovers.

Tycho
04-05-2010, 02:17 AM
JabbaJohn, I liked the first Alien vs Predator film.

I guess to collect them, I bought the second one but I've never watched it yet, so I cannot comment on that one.

Ando
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Having seen both the Alien and Predator films, I'm debating whether or not to waste my time with the Alien vs. Predator crossovers.

I liked the first AVP as well. It's not a good movie, but it's entertaining and much better than the sequel.

The 2nd AVP was bad if for nothing else, the lighting. If you're going to spend money on creature effects and make up and what not, here's a tip: Light the set.

You couldn't see a damn thing for most of the movie.

preacher
04-06-2010, 12:28 AM
I liked the first AVP as well. It's not a good movie, but it's entertaining and much better than the sequel.

The 2nd AVP was bad if for nothing else, the lighting. If you're going to spend money on creature effects and make up and what not, here's a tip: Light the set.

You couldn't see a damn thing for most of the movie.

I'll third that. AVP was fast paced, evenly paced, and had some very cool moments. The story form was very similar to "House on Haunted Hill", "The Haunting", and "Thire3n Ghosts".

The second AVP was lame. The only cool thing was seeing the Predator home planet. Other than that it was pretty forgettable. All I remember is not being able to tell who was getting killed because of the lighting. Not that it mattered because the characters were just fodder. The Climax was extremely disappointing - you couldn't follow the fight between the Predomorph and the Predator.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-06-2010, 04:44 PM
This movie got a lot of crap from almost everyone, but I really liked it also. I was glad it wasn't a big, overblown story dealing with the show's mythology, since I tended to like the "Monster of the Week" episodes over the mythology ones.

My wife even liked it and she doesn't like sci-fi much, but I think that fact that it was more of a mystery movie than an alien scf-fi flick helped a great deal.

I too enjoyed this flick; I liked the centralized aspect of it and how it wasn't a huge production. It felt quite intimate. I also loved the first film too; I hope they do a third flick with the alien invasion! That'd be tops!

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen"- Ya know, going into this flick, I didn't expect oscar caliber performances and stunning observations of life, love, and death. I wanted some meager plot, lots of action, humor, fun, and excitement. With this in mind, this film delivers on those levels. I will say that the scenes with the two smaller bots were annoying at times, but they had a few funny lines. Also, the scenes with Sam's parents went a bit too long at first. Aside from these two gripes, I enjoyed the film quite a bit. Rating- *** out of ****

"Planet Hulk"- Excellent adaptation of the multi-issue series. The animation is great and all of the crucial parts of the comic are intact, which is awesome. Bring on World War Hulk! Rating- *** out of ****

OC47150
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Time Limit and War Hunt. Both movies deal with the Korean War. Time Limit stars Richard Widmark as an Army JAG investigator who's trying to get to the heart of an incident involving Richard Basehart, a former POW. Good, solid drama.

War Hunt stars John Saxon and Robert Redford (in his first starring role) as Korean War soldiers at the end of the war. Saxon enjoys war just a little too much.

Bridge on the River Kwai. Excellent WWII drama starring William Holden and Obi-Wan Kenobi. They don't make movies like that anymore. :yes:

Tycho
04-07-2010, 12:19 AM
OC - thanks for the Korean War recommendations. I haven't seen any films about that war except for MASH.

TeeEye7
04-08-2010, 03:58 AM
OC - thanks for the Korean War recommendations. I haven't seen any films about that war except for MASH.

Might I suggest The Bridges at Toko-Ri. Good Korean War story and tremendous cast: William Holden, Grace Kelly, Frederic March, Mickey Rooney, and a very young Earl Holliman. It's from the novel by James Michener...can it get any better?

If it doesn't remind you of the Battle of Yavin, I don't know what will.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-08-2010, 04:01 AM
I just saw the original Gojira (Godzilla) for the first time. It was a little doofy at points, but overall it was quite good. Many of the effects had a certain simplistic charm about them, and I liked the connection to nuclear annihilation. Now I'm ready for when The Clone Wars rips it off, er, pays homage to it this Friday. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
"Crazy Heart"- The film has some issues, but With the help of Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart" is elevated from mediocre to great as Bridges is the heart and soul of the film, bringing the heartache and struggles of Bad Blake to life. The scenery of the film is fantastic and adds a great element to the film. But it's the great music of the film, with vocals performed by Jeff Bridges and Colin Farrell, that is the true highlight of the film. A really great film about life, love, and redemption. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

Slicker
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I've been on quite the movie watching/buying spree.

Over the past week or so I've watched:

Last House on the Left
Trailer Park Boys: The Movie
Law Abiding Citizen
Donnie Darko (Seth Rogens in it. Crazy...)
Jaws
Angels and Demons
Gone in 60 Seconds

There are several others but I just can't think of 'em right now. I've amassed quite the little movie collection while I've been over here.

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 04:20 PM
It finally clicked that I could download the free internet channel on the Wii and watch YouTube. It may not be DVD quality, and it's split into multiple chapter, but I was able to watch the greatest episode of the 1960s television show ever, and share it with the next generation. The episode shares its name with its special guest villain:

LOUIE THE LILAC

bigbarada
04-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Actually, Alien 3 was the first attempt at a fully computer generated alien creature. That was the big story surrounding the film while it was being developed. So that's not stop-motion, it's just really crappy CGI.

Anyways, I watched The Blind Side yesterday. Pretty good movie considering that I am not a fan of sports movies at all.

sith_killer_99
04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Last night my wife and I watched Robin Williams "Weapons Of Self Destruction". As always Williams is funny, not as good as "Live on Broadway" but still worth watching.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I finally got around to seeing Clash of the Titan (as it said on my movie ticket)... in 2-D! I could tell exactly which parts became 3-D, and just to mess with the people around me, I reached out to "touch" the screen during those times. :p

I liked it... loved the Bobo part, and the comic relief scenes were chuckle-worthy. Good action scenes, but most of them were so fast and chop edited at times, I had to guess at what was happening. Also liked the homage to the stop-motion scorpions when the last one died, and its tail had the same movements as the '80s FX would have. Nothing interesting at all about the credits roll, unfortunately.

UKWildcat
04-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I watched Sherlock Holmes the other day. I had no idea he was such a badass (having never read the novels/short stories). Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie, thought it was fantastic! Very much looking forward to the sequel. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I finally got around to seeing Clash of the Titan (as it said on my movie ticket)... in 2-D! I could tell exactly which parts became 3-D, and just to mess with the people around me, I reached out to "touch" the screen during those times. :p

I liked it... loved the Bobo part, and the comic relief scenes were chuckle-worthy. Good action scenes, but most of them were so fast and chop edited at times, I had to guess at what was happening. Also liked the homage to the stop-motion scorpions when the last one died, and its tail had the same movements as the '80s FX would have. Nothing interesting at all about the credits roll, unfortunately.

I've seen both the 2-D and 3-D versions, and besides the fight in the desert and the Kraken scene at the end, there really is no difference.

Speaking of Clash of the Titans, I want a toyline based on this remake. There are some great opportunities for some cool figures and playsets.

OC47150
04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Smokey and the Bandit, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and the Enforcer. I've watched these movies countless times on TV over the years, but never uncut/unedited until recently. I bought the two-disc Dirty Harry collection last week. The Dirty Harry movies, particularly Dirty Harry, surprised me by the amount of little scenes/dialogue that had been edited out. And I finally saw the sixth shot, which is never shown on broadcast TV!

sith_killer_99
04-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I watched "Sherlock Holmes" the other day. Good movie, Robert Downey Jr. did a good job of creating a new take on an old character. Hollywood, of course, left it open for a sequel. Jude Law was awesome as Watson and Rachel McAdams was hot!:yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-17-2010, 04:24 AM
I saw Donnie Darko over the last few days. It was pretty good, but maybe after hearing how great it was for the last nine years, it didn't live up to any kind of hype. It seemed a little heavy-handed throughout most of the film, but it was okay.

Today I saw The 40-Year-Old Virgin for the first time and thought it was great. Pretty hilarious stuff all around, and really well done.

Tonight I saw Mystery Team, by Derrick Comedy (featuring Donald Glover from Community). It was pretty funny. There were a lot of shots where the focus was bad, so that was distracting and took away from the overall quality of the film a bit. But the comedy was all solid, anyway.

Slicker
04-17-2010, 06:51 AM
I saw Donnie Darko over the last few days. It was pretty good, but maybe after hearing how great it was for the last nine years, it didn't live up to any kind of hype. It seemed a little heavy-handed throughout most of the film, but it was okay.

I agree it is a decent movie but it is HIGHLY overhyped. I'd place in the same category of overhyped movies as Boondock Saints. The people that adore those movies are the same people that say they like KoRn before they became popular too...

I watched The Godfather again last night. I also watched the remake of The Last House on the Left again. I accidentally bought the remake and haven't watched it but I may sit down to do just that tomorrow night.

JimJamBonds
04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I saw Anchorman for the first time today. It was pretty damn funny, though I've heard most of the jokes since its release several years ago.

El Chuxter
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Stay classy, JJL.

UKWildcat
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Ultimatum.

No Supremacy?

I saw Anchorman for the first time today. It was pretty damn funny, though I've heard most of the jokes since its release several years ago.

How are you just now seeing Anchorman, and 40 YOV for the first time?!?!? :eek:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2010, 01:18 AM
How are you just now seeing Anchorman, and 40 YOV for the first time?!?!? :eek:
I could say "it just never happened" at the risk of sounding like the 40-year-old virgin himself. :p My mom's not too into raunchy stuff, so watching 40 Year Old Virgin at home would have been a no-go. Apparently my parents saw Anchorman several years ago but I don't know why I didn't; guess I was gone or doing something else at the time. But the wrongs have been righted.

JimJamBonds
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Last night I watched Remember The Titans, I'd watched bits and piceces over the years but never the entire thing until last night. Overall I thought it was alright, but nothing really special. I will say it was on ABC Family so I'm sure there was some 'good stuff' that got cut out.

JimJamBonds
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
That Thing You Do Tom Hanks Edition.

TeeEye7
04-24-2010, 05:20 AM
That Thing You Do Tom Hanks Edition.

Does it have deleted scenes of MRS. Hanks!???? :lipsrsealed:

Oh...Marguerite!

OC47150
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Romancing the Stone. The girlfriend summed it up best: even after 26 years, the movie holds up well.

One of the extras is deleted scenes. There were alternate scenes with a male publisher filmed, but redone for the final version with Holland Taylor. The scenes worked better with a woman. Not as creepy.

sith_killer_99
04-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Romancing the Stone. The girlfriend summed it up best: even after 26 years, the movie holds up well.

One of the extras is deleted scenes. There were alternate scenes with a male publisher filmed, but redone for the final version with Holland Taylor. The scenes worked better with a woman. Not as creepy.

Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile are both out on Blu-Ray now! I love these movies, plus I sorta had a thing for Kathleen Turner back in the day.:D

JimJamBonds
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Does it have deleted scenes of MRS. Hanks!???? :lipsrsealed:

Oh...Marguerite!

Kinda, but not in that way. :wink:

Yesterday I watched the always enjoyable Army Of Darkness.

DarkArtist
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
over the past week I watched Watchmen, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. decided on Friday that I wanted a Star Wars day. was going to try to squeeze in a few more but was sick and couldn't stay awake long enough..the medicine the doctor gave me makes you extremely sleepy. I think i slept away most of my weekend.

sith_killer_99
04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
I finally got around to watching "The Hangover" last night!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I finally got around to watching "The Hangover" last night!:thumbsup:But now you don't remember anything, do you? ;)

I caught American Psycho last night. Good gosh, that was rough! :eek:

TeeEye7
04-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Kinda, but not in that way. :wink:

Any deleted scenes with BCJ?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Any deleted scenes with BCJ?In order to be deleted, one must be in more than what was in the original shots. :rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
05-01-2010, 02:10 AM
I went to a meet at Advance Auto tonight, a bunch or Subaru and Mitsubishi guys get together ever Friday (Evo's, STi's. WRX's, and Ralliart's). Anyway, after the meet I went to the movies.

I watched "Kick ***".:thumbsup:

I had planned on watching the new "Elm St." but it was sold out, so I bought 2 movie tickets one for KA and one for Elm St. tomorrow at 12:40. So I will post tomorrow about the new Elm St. in the thread that has already begun.:D

Tycho
05-01-2010, 04:35 AM
I caught American Psycho last night. Good gosh, that was rough! :eek:

I love American Psycho! It expouses my most profound thoughts and philosophy!

I especially love the conversation the guys have around the table in the beginning of the movie about the way women are.

(Yes I had one of those nights - maybe. My date said she was tired so I took her home. True I have a date with her again tomorrow night and Sunday as well - but the way she was texting up a storm, I wonder who she was also spending tonight with??? No. I do not TRUST. I am not a fool. However, in light of our discussion about American Psycho - I am still looking forward to going out with her the rest of this weekend and my chainsaw is out of gasoline. I wager she'll make it until Monday at least.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I saw Speed Racer the other day. It even came with a free headache!

El Chuxter
05-02-2010, 06:12 PM
You have just taken your first step into a larger world. The headache is because the human mind cannot fully comprehend the AWESOME.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I thought it was due to the weightless CGI, poorly integrated human characters, awful jokes, needlessly convoluted story, and general ineptitude on display for well over two hours.

But I didn't want to say anything negative. :p

JimJamBonds
05-02-2010, 11:52 PM
SNL Best of Mike Myers. Favorite line. Keith Richards (as played by Mick Jagger) to Mick Jagger (played by Myers): "Mick you ignorant slu$."

JimJamBonds
05-03-2010, 10:29 AM
I took down Billy Madison on Saturday night, it'd been way too long since I last seen that movie.

OC47150
05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
* The Wild Geese. Mercenaries in Africa, starring Richard Burton, Roger Moore, Richard Harris. It's one of my go-to movies. It gets better with each showing.

* The Fastest Guitar in the West. A late Civil War-era musical western where a pair of Confederate soldiers try and rob the US Mint. This wasn't a great movie. What caught my attention with it was Roy Orbison (the singer) was one of the Confederates. He didn't wear his trademark sunglasses!!!

* Yojimbo. A wandering Japanese swordsman plays the villians in a small town against each other. The original basis for A Fist Full of Dollars and Last Man Standing. I'd never seen it before and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-10-2010, 02:26 AM
I just saw Highlander. It was pretty enjoyable in a somewhat goofy kind of way. It was interesting to see Captain Panaka and Zev Senesca in the same scene! And apparently Peter Diamond, the stunt coordinator for the OT and the main Tusken Raider in ANH, was the first guy to get his head chopped off. :D My mind is also reeling after learning that Clancy Brown, who played the Kurgan, also plays Mr. Krabs on Spongebob Squarepants. That is insane.

It's also a good idea to have Queen score the film, but they used some of their worst songs. Oh well. Bad Queen is still Queen.

El Chuxter
05-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, Queen did write some of their worst songs for that movie. :)

JetsAndHeels
05-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Saw Ironman 2 last night. A really good sequel. I wish Don Cheadle had been given the part of Rhodey from the very beginning.

DarkArtist
05-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Harsh... A Kind of Magic is one of my favorite Queen albums of all time...... My favorite being A Night at the Opera.

had a superhero itch this weekend so I watched Superman (Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman are amazing together) and Superman II (was going to watch the Donner version again but watched the Lester version instead). might continue the streak with Superman III and IV ( I know the 4th is the worst but still it's gotta be done.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Right, I suppose I worded it wrong. The A Kind of Magic album is growing on me somewhat, but "One Year of Love" is still just so godawful.

El Chuxter
05-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I've got every album Queen recorded, and A Kind of Magic would be third worst, after Flash Gordon and Hot Space. So it's the worst Queen album that actually sounds like a Queen album.

Ando
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Over the weekend, Mrs. Ando and I watched the following:

- Iron Man 2 in the theater on Friday: MARVELous.

- NBC's Thursday night comedy programming that we missed on Thursday because we completely zonked out on our living room couches at 6:45 pm, woke up at 10 pm, then went staright to bed and slept through the night.

- Various HIMYM reruns (which are new to us since we just "discovered" the show last spring) on Lifetime.

- Mel Brooks' "Life Stinks" which I had never seen before even though I am a huge fan. I was getting ready to watch it when I was in Junior High and my parents grounded me due to bad grades so I only saw the first 5-10 minutes. Until yesterday.

OC47150
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I just saw Highlander. It was pretty enjoyable in a somewhat goofy kind of way. It was interesting to see Captain Panaka and Zev Senesca in the same scene! And apparently Peter Diamond, the stunt coordinator for the OT and the main Tusken Raider in ANH, was the first guy to get his head chopped off. :D My mind is also reeling after learning that Clancy Brown, who played the Kurgan, also plays Mr. Krabs on Spongebob Squarepants. That is insane.

It's also a good idea to have Queen score the film, but they used some of their worst songs. Oh well. Bad Queen is still Queen.

Highlander and Highlander 2 (the renegade director's cut) are two of my guilty pleasure movies.

JimJamBonds
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Over the weekend, Mrs. Ando and I watched the following:

- Various HIMYM reruns (which are new to us since we just "discovered" the show last spring) on Lifetime.

Thats good stuff there Ando! HIMYM is a favorite of mine.

As for myself last night I watched The 40 Year Old Virgin.

DarkArtist
05-14-2010, 10:51 AM
decided to watch G.I. Joe the movie yesterday after work. I still actually like the movie, looking forward to seeing where they take the sequel.

picked up Iron Man 2 disc set last night at Walmart so I might watch that this Saturday night with my wife as she has never saw the movie and wants to go with me to see Iron Man 2.

thinking of also picking up Harry Potter 6 on Blue Ray this weekend

Bel-Cam Jos
05-14-2010, 07:14 PM
picked up Iron Man 2 disc set last night at Walmart so I might watch that this Saturday night with my wife as she has never saw the movie and wants to go with me to see Iron Man 2.WM is selling bootleg Iron Man 2 discs? :eek: That's how I read it; reminded me of my movie ticket for the digital film listed as "Iron Man 2-D" and sounded quite unspectatular. :D

DarkArtist
05-16-2010, 06:37 PM
WM is selling bootleg Iron Man 2 discs? :eek: That's how I read it; reminded me of my movie ticket for the digital film listed as "Iron Man 2-D" and sounded quite unspectatular. :D

sorry for the confusion Bel-Cam... i picked up Iron Man the Movie 2 disc set from walmart not Iron Man 2. lol...

so i watched Superman III & IV back to back and have to say that I actually laughed at the Richard Pryor parts for III and laughed in general at the mess that is Superman IV. still in my mind you can't watch only the first 2 Supermans and not watch the other 2.

thinking of watching Iron Man tonight with the wife so that perhaps next weekend or one night this week we can go see Iron Man 2

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I just saw The Longest Day, which was quite impressive. It must have been a beast to coordinate all those battle sequences, but it was awesome.

OC47150
05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Return of the Living Dead. The local sci-fi/horror con showcaed ROTLD at the con this weekend because of its 25th anniversary. As part of it, there was a showing Friday night. Two of the actors, James Karen and Linnea Quigley, were in attendance and did an impromptu Q&A. This movie has grown on me since its first viewing, and watching it with a crowd was great.

The Dogs of War. Movie from the early 1980s starring Christopher Walken and Tom Berenger about mercenaries hired to overthrow an African dictator. Adapted from the Frederick Forsyth novel, with changes. (Read the book last year, and it had a more European-focus; the movie was Americanized. )Fast-paced and enjoyable flick.

TeeEye7
05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I just saw The Longest Day, which was quite impressive. It must have been a beast to coordinate all those battle sequences, but it was awesome.

How about coordinating all of those actors? I doubt you'll ever see another movie with that many known names ever again. (The closest you'll find today is the "Ocean's" series IMO). It was quite a feat "back in the day".

OC47150
05-17-2010, 08:37 PM
How about coordinating all of those actors? I doubt you'll ever see another movie with that many known names ever again. (The closest you'll find today is the "Ocean's" series IMO). It was quite a feat "back in the day".

I read somewhere where Darryl F. Zanuck asked John Wayne how much he wanted to be in the movie. The Duke said a price and got it.

Hollywood doesn't make movies like that anymore.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-18-2010, 11:58 PM
"Kick ***-" A blast of ultraviolence and mayhem, "Kick ***" puts aside all of the moralistic ideas about superheroes and fights fire with fire. I really enjoyed the flick as it packs some humor with great action and fight sequences. I do wish we saw more of Kick *** actually kicking *** as we only get a scene or two of him fighting crime. On the plus side, Hit Girl is fantastically awesome, dropping the worst language on the planet (yes, the infamous C-word) while dispatching bad guys with no remorse. It's a breath of fresh air from a genre that could has had a few problems over the years. Overall, it's a fast paced *** kicking superhero film. Rating- *** out of **** :thumbsup:

Edit!

"George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead"- As much as it pains me, I have to wonder what Romero was thinking with this flick. There are a few different storylines here and none of them seem to be really flushed out. We have two Irish men arguing over what to do with the dead; one wants them kept "alive" in hopes of finding a cure while the other wants them shot on sight. It does bring up an idea, and I'm guessing Romero's theme in this flick, for religion vs. logic, but neither idea is explored to a decent extent. There are also problems as the CGI is really uneven; why doesn't Romero just stick with old styles of SFX? Some CGI shots were decent, but a few were really, really bad.

Another problem I had was that Romero doesn't show us the large scale result of a zombie apocalypse; there's no scope as to what is happening in the world, so there isn't a real sense of dread or nervousness in this flick. Granted, this is supposed to be very early on the whole scheme of things, but that itself brings up new issues as Romero single handedly changes the playing field in terms of zombies themselves. This wouldn't be a problem, but in terms of Romero's own films, it doesn't work as, again, we're only a month or so into the zombie apocalypse. Still, the film does have some good action sequences and a few great zombie kills. I do hope for the next "Dead" film Romero goes back and tweaks things a bit and reminds us what made his films so engrossing in the past. Rating- **1/2 out of ***

JimJamBonds
05-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Today I took down The Goonies, a movie that I hadn't watched in far too long.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I probably should have watched ESB but instead I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is almost as awesome. :D

Slicker
05-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Right now I'm watching A New Hope on Spike. They've got a marathon of the OT going to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of ESB. They've got some pretty funny Star Wars related commercials too.

sith_killer_99
05-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I just finished watching a movie called Avatar. Has anyone heard of it?

Anyway, the visuals were stunning, if not a bit over powering from time to time. The sound track wasn't very good, and the film itself was predictable, but overall it was enjoyable. I would recommend the movie, I rented it from blockbuster, but probably will not waste my money buying the blu-ray.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Yesterday I saw Kagemusha (The Shadow Warrior). It was quite long (and felt long due to the long takes used) and occasionally a little bit hard to follow in places but overall it was pretty great.

Daryl VayDar
05-24-2010, 08:41 AM
I had a zombie-filled weekend. At 6:15am on saturday I watched Survival of the Dead, a forgettable small-town-accidentally-infected-by-the-military-good-thing-the-kids-hooked-up-with-a-bad***-who-saves-the-day kinda picture.

Sunday was both Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead, and I guess neither one really did it for me. JMG summed up Survival pretty well a few posts ago, and while Diary did a better job of both scope and emotional impact, I didn't really care about any of the characters, and the hand-held cam style bored me after a while.

To correct my first line of the post:
I had a boring, disappointing zombie-filled weekend.

Ando
05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Over the weekend I watched the NBC Thursday night line up that I missed when I crashed on the couch Thursday night after work.

I watched the Spike TV Star Wars OT marathon on Saturday night, and yesterday afternoon I watched District 9 while the wife snoozed on the couch.

Last night I watched the final episode of Lost after not having watched it since I caught Season 1 on DVD in 2005.

sith_killer_99
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Watched "Daybreakers" this weekend. Pretty good, worth watching...somewhat unique.:thumbsup:

Ando
05-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Watched "Daybreakers" this weekend. Pretty good, worth watching...somewhat unique.:thumbsup:

I really wanted to see that, but it wasn't in theaters for very long here in Portland, OR. I will check it out when it gets to HBO/Starz/Showtime/Cinemax.

OC47150
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Last night I watched the final episode of Lost after not having watched it since I caught Season 1 on DVD in 2005.

I haven't watched since the middle of season 2, but tuned in for the last 5 minutes or so, and it was like, o-kay.

Whiteout. Not a bad thriller with Kate Beckinsale as a US marshal solving a crime in Anarctica.

JimJamBonds
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I took down Ferris Buelers (sp) Day Off on Saturday.

Rocketboy
05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
I took down Ferris Buelers (sp) Day Off on Saturday.They should have called it Ferris Buellers's Day On because he was so ON that day!

Over the last few days I watched:

4 episodes of Chuck on Monday in tome for the finale.

The Road on Tuesday - not exactly the feel good movie of the year, but a well-done adaptation of the novel.

Mystery Team on Wednesday - funny, low-ish budget flick by the internet famous Derrick Comedy sketch group about 3 high school "detectives" that have been solving kid's crimes (of the 'Who stuck their finger in the pie?' variety) since they were kids. And now people think they're just weird, so they try and solve a real mystery - a murder.

3 episodes of Flashforward before tonight's finale.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
I just saw I Am Legend. The vampire effects were kind of crappy, and the story ended a bit too quickly and wasn't as good as it sounded like it was going to be, but it was still very enjoyable overall.

TeeEye7
05-29-2010, 04:46 PM
The Bridge on the River Kwai last night with Jack Hawkins (Ben Hur, Zulu fame), William Holden, and Academy Award-winning OT Obers.

Snowtrooper
05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Watched Walk the Line last night. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are excellent as Johnny Cash and June Carter.

sith_killer_99
05-30-2010, 02:00 AM
I watched "B*tch Slap" tonight!:thumbsup:Highly entertaining, in a cult classic B-Movie way.

Next up is "Legion".

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
"Alice in Wonderland"- I enjoyed this flick; go figure!! I thought Wonderland looked delightfully creepy and the CGI wasn't as iffy as I had seen on the coming attractions. I enjoyed how both of Alice's stories revolved around her becoming a young woman/adult and taking control of things. Depp is perfectly odd as you would expect, but I was confused as to why he would use a weird scottish accent at times as it made no sense. Overalll, it packs some decent action and kept me entertained. Rating- *** out of ****

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I watched A New Hope with the audio commentary for the first time last night; it was actually the first film I've ever watched with commentary, ever. I'll be doing the same for ESB tonight and the rest later.

Today I saw Hang 'Em High, which was packed with the Dollars trilogy in a DVD set I got for my birthday nearly six months ago. It was pretty good, but not much happens for long stretches of time, so it can tend to feel like it's going off-track at times.

sith_killer_99
05-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Watched "Legion" today.:thumbsup:

DarkArtist
06-02-2010, 02:37 PM
finally saw James and the Giant Peach the other day thanks to Netflix. pretty decent movie and shows more and more how twisted the mind of Tim Burton can be. Still very enjoyable movie.

Ando
06-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I just saw I Am Legend. The vampire effects were kind of crappy, and the story ended a bit too quickly and wasn't as good as it sounded like it was going to be, but it was still very enjoyable overall.

I Am Legend is the worst of the 3 movie adaptations and none are as good as the book.

OC47150
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Shrek 4
Iron Man 2
Prince of Persia
Robin Hood (2010)
Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Had the chance to see several movies over the holiday weekend. Of the first four, Robin Hood was the best. Original story, well acted.

I am Legend is a horrible movie. I'll take The Vincent Price Last Man on Earth and Omega Man any day over that stinker.

sith_killer_99
06-02-2010, 11:22 PM
"Lesbian Vampire Killers" it was full of epic win!:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I Am Legend is the worst of the 3 movie adaptations and none are as good as the book.
I haven't read the book, but I did see the Vincent Price one. To me, they were just . . . different. Products of their time, really.

More recently I watched The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi with the audio commentary. Irvin Kershner is a hoot to listen to describe the scenes. :p Some pretty interesting stuff in there.

I also saw Michael Jackson's This Is It. I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the guy's music (it's good, I'm just not crazy for it), but it was interesting to see the preparation for the concerts. It looked like it would have been spectacular.

And last night I saw Get Him to the Greek at a midnight showing. It was pretty funny, but the pacing was awful, as several jokes that would have been best left as short one-offs ended up being expanded into entire sequences, and too often the comedy stopped to deal with the building of characters I really didn't care too much about in the first place. It just felt disjointed, and not as good as I wanted it to be, but it was still alright.

Ando
06-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I haven't read the book, but I did see the Vincent Price one. To me, they were just . . . different. Products of their time, really.

Here's the thing about the book vs. the movie: In the book, he's just a regular guy who studies up on biology at the library over a period of time. In the movies, they just made him a doctor (Last Man on Earth)/Military doctor (Omega Man/I Am Legend).

The first movie is the most faithful, even with the changes they made.

Darth Metalmute
06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm late to the party but I spent the weekend watching the first 6 episodes of FireFly. I know I didn't watch it when it was on-air, but have oddly remembered bits and pieces of it.

jonthejedi
06-08-2010, 05:14 AM
I just Redboxed The Road with Viggo M. Very intense, but depressing. Hope Earth's future is not like depicted!

JimJamBonds
06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I watched Stranger Then Fiction last night. I saw it in the theaters when it came out and liked it and I still like it today.

Rocketboy
06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Just finished up my second viewing of Shutter Island.
It's pretty cool to watch it a second time, as I see certain things from the start and a few questions were cleared up for me.

jonthejedi
06-09-2010, 04:34 AM
I agree...ala Sixth Sense...a different take the 2nd time around.

Rocketboy
06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree...ala Sixth Sense...a different take the 2nd time around.Except Shutter Island didn't suck from start to finish.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Iron Man - I hadn't seen it since it was in theaters, but this is a great, fun movie.

The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones with audio commentary - The TPM one leaned a little heavily to the special effects side, and nobody really seemed to engaged. AOTC sounded like they were having more fun, though; maybe it was because it was recorded closer to the completion of the film, while the TPM commentary was probably recorded over two years after the release.

Dirty Harry - Pretty damn great. Clint Eastwood is a total badass.

TeeEye7
06-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Dirty Harry - Pretty damn great. Clint Eastwood is a total badass.

If ever a movie needed the Lindquist Productions treatment....this would be it! :thumbsup:

Oh, the possibilities! :yes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
"Lo"- A man summons a demon for help after his girlfriend is abducted and sent into hell. I was curious about this flick going into it and after just watching it, I have to say I was disappointed. The premise about summoning a demon was interesting to me, but the filmmakers didn't do much it. Lo and Justin talk about life, love, and demons, but none of the conversations are able to make an impact on the viewer. I thought Lo's design was excellent and the actor who portrayed him did a great job. The other costumes did look really low budget though, including the "rat" which was just awful. The humor is there at times, especially with the singing demons, but most of the humor is low brow and juvenile and comes off stale. The rest of the performances are pretty iffy too and I felt like I was watching a student film project. Still, the material shows some uniquness and I have to give them props for that. Rating- ** out of ****

Tycho
06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm finally finishing the episodes from The A-Team season 3 and I just watched a great one:

Bounty Hunters bust into the VA Hospital to kidnap Murdoch and hold him hostage in order to set a trap to eliminate the rest of the team and collect the price on their heads.

Meanwhile, a young, pretty veterinarian becomes Murdoch's accomplice in his escape and their love for dogs is the basis for the beginning of a relationship between them. (She'd never seen an invisible dog before.)

Decker and the military enter the fray and the Team shoots up the town as Murdoch's own escape helps him reunite with his comrades and they turn the table on the bounty hunters.

You don't mess with the A-Team, Foo!

DarthQuack
06-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Well for a month starting tomorrow, I will be engrossed in the World Cup. :)

Ando
06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I've also been watching the A-Team, but I have been DVR'ing them off of cable. There's a "new" cable channel on Comcast called "Centric" and they had an A-Team marathon over Memorial Day weekend, so I set the DVR up to record all. I think I must have watched 10-15 episodes over the last week and a half and they are on 2-3 times a day.

It's been a lot of fun to rewatch these again after 20+ years.

Tycho
06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I love it when a plan comes together. :squareeye

JimJamBonds
06-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I watched Valkyrie the other day and it might be the worst WWII flick I have ever watched. It took less then 3 minutes to spot a historical error (and a rather large one at that).

Tycho
06-11-2010, 06:26 PM
I watched Valkyrie the other day and it might be the worst WWII flick I have ever watched. It took less then 3 minutes to spot a historical error (and a rather large one at that).

I really like Valkyrie.

What historical error did you spot?

I did notice that Telly Sevallas wasn't in this WWII flick. Is that what you're referring to? :D

JimJamBonds
06-11-2010, 09:16 PM
The Crusier writing down his disgust for Hitler. Nobody in their right mind would write that down, those types of thoughts in a journal especially while on campaign. It'd be far to easy for somebody to get ahold of ie. the Gestapo and then that'd be the end of you. Also I though Crusie talking with that general(?) right before the attack was completely silly.

JimJamBonds
06-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Watched Superbad the other day, with that in mind I'll probably take down my second favorite Christopher Mintz-Plasse vehicle: Role Models.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2010, 03:05 PM
A number of friends and I had our second Macathon yesterday, which we had been trying to do for well over a year. The roster included:

The Room - I've already seen it four times in the theater, but it was fun to watch it with a different group of friends and see their reaction. It's so sublimely awful.

The Underground Comedy Movie - Written by, directed by, and starring Vince Offer, the Shamwow guy himself. I bought this online over a year ago, during the height of the Vince craze, and hadn't seen it until yesterday. We ended up having to fast forward through a majority of it, since it was just downright bad. I expected it to be bad, but in a fun sort of way, but no such luck. Avoid this one at all costs.

Mac and Me - Ah, the classic. It's right up there with The Room in terms of awesome horribleness. Best when seen while eating Skittles and McDonald's.

TeeEye7
06-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Judgment at Nuremburg with big names like Spencer Tracy, Richard Widmark, Judy Garland, and the future Capt.James T. Kirk and Col. Wilhelm Klink!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I just saw the latest version of The Wolfman, directed by Joe Johnston himself. It moved a little too slowly in places, and isn't a classic, but it's fairly enjoyable. The scenes with the actual wolfman were all quite nicely done - the transformations were great.

Tycho
06-13-2010, 09:08 PM
What kind of music did The Wolfman play?

Did anybody win the contest and name the Top 10 after being the seventh caller?

sith_killer_99
06-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Did anybody win the contest and name the Top 10 after being the seventh caller?

Sadly Wolfman Jack passed away in 1995 at the age of just 57.:cry:

I also just watch "The Wolfman" it was way too slow for me and I lost interest. I will have to try to re-watch it, but that's never a good sign.

I also watched "Alice In Wonderland" and also lost interest. Maybe I was just having a bad day yesterday.:(

TeeEye7
06-14-2010, 12:31 AM

Warren Zevon, of course!

Darth Metalmute
06-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Finished up the FireFly Series this weekend and topped it off with Serenity.

Not sure why everyone is clamoring for a sequel. Whedon wrapped it up pretty seemlessly, IMO.

I really enjoyed the series and somewhat wish I could have been one of the millions of fans ticked off when FOX cancelled it.

DarkArtist
06-14-2010, 10:00 AM
been catching up with Netflix and watched the entire first season of 21 Jump Street.... it's amazing to see Johnny Depp that young in his acting career... he actually claims that this was the one acting job that he tried to actually get fired from that he hated every minute on the show...

also currently watching the first season of Highlander.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
As threatened above last night I took down Role Models.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
A documentary I Am Comic following stand-up comedians and interviews with some established, famous, or other comics throughout the years. Facinating look behind-the-scenes; both funny and sad.

Rocketboy
06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Finished up the FireFly Series this weekend and topped it off with Serenity.

Not sure why everyone is clamoring for a sequel. Whedon wrapped it up pretty seemlessly, IMO.

I really enjoyed the series and somewhat wish I could have been one of the millions of fans ticked off when FOX cancelled it.You answered your own question. The fans love it and want more. Just because the movie wrapped most things up that doesn't mean there aren't any more great stories to be told with this crew. It's like saying "Why did people want a sequel to Star Wars? The first one wrapped things up nicely."

Darth Metalmute
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
You answered your own question. The fans love it and want more. Just because the movie wrapped most things up that doesn't mean there aren't any more great stories to be told with this crew. It's like saying "Why did people want a sequel to Star Wars? The first one wrapped things up nicely."

I guess your right. Maybe I feel that way becuase of how late I am to the Firefly party. When I watched the first episode last weekend, I was craving more. I felt that way after each episode I watched. But after I watched the movie yesterday, I felt a sense of closure. Like if they made more, I'd be okay with it, but I don't need it.

So few things in my lifetime have ever ended with as much closure as this did, especially on the broadcast side of things. It's like when you are reading a book to your kids and you get to the last page and say, "The End" and close the book.