PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Gulliver's Travels. It was fun, clearly not book-specific (robots, pop songs, dance numbers, orafice humor, et al), and a nice doesn't-have-to-make-total-logical-sense escape film (the ones I prefer). I could predict (in a good way) many of the gags and comments just before they appeared on screen. Loved the numerous Star Wars references (especially the theater performance). And the morning matinee discounted $6 price made it even better.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Papillon - It's quite long and the prison scene feels like it takes forever, but that's kind of the point. Pretty interesting; I didn't know this story before so I wasn't expecting the twist.

The Road - They keep surviving just to eat just to survive. I guess this would happen in a scenario like this, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Rocketboy
01-05-2011, 01:20 AM
The Road - They keep surviving just to eat just to survive. I guess this would happen in a scenario like this, but I just wasn't feeling it.The film left a lot to be desired. Most of the book is there onscreen, but it lacked the impact.

sith_killer_99
01-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Resident Evil: Afterlife :thumbsup:
Knight and Day :thumbsup:
Vampire's Suck :ermm:

That is all.

sith_killer_99
01-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Also I am renting "Machete" and will post a quick review when I am done watching.

sith_killer_99
01-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I just finished watching "Machete"!

Awesome flick, Jessica Alba and Michelle Rodriguez were super hot! That drug addict chick was not so great.

If you love the old school seventies cinema retro feel, then this is another one, right up there with "Death Proof" better in fact.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Valkyrie - It's a very interesting story, but the movie tells it in a very un-cinematic way. Just watch a documentary on it instead.

DarthQuack
01-08-2011, 03:42 PM
News of the day at work which consists of an Arizona Congresswoman shot and in critical condition. :(

UKWildcat
01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Over the past week or so I have watched Inception, She's Out of My League and Easy A. I very much enjoyed all three films. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Restrepo (via Netflix Watch Instantly), a documentary that chronicles the deployment of a platoon of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistans Korengal Valley.
Really good, powerful stuff that gives you a good look at what these guys face on a daily basis on the front lines.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Gunga Din - This was absolutely fantastic. This was used as inspiration for a number of things, including Temple of Doom and the 99 story arc on The Clone Wars. In and of itself, though, I really liked the story and the epic feel. A ton of fun.

sith_killer_99
01-09-2011, 12:11 AM
I just finished watching "The Last Exorcism" and it sucked BAD!

TeeEye7
01-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I watched Open Range Friday night. One of the better westerns made IMO. Duvall always shines and Costner (I'm not a huge fan) does a wonderful job in his brooding role. It's always nice to watch the late, great Michael Jeeter's last role, too. He was a wonderful character actor like Strother Martin. Fun to see Professor Dumbledor (Michael Gambon) as the evil cattle baron. Job well done!

I bought the DVD a few years back but this was on AMC and stopped to watch while channel surfing.

Qui-Long Gone
01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
^That movie is one of 4 Costner films I'll watch anytime (Field of Dreams, Bull D, and DWW the other three).

We "Netflixed" Date Night, a bit too much buzz for this movie I think.

TeeEye7
01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
^That movie is one of 4 Costner films I'll watch anytime (Field of Dreams, Bull D, and DWW the other three).

I'm in total agreement. His other work leaves me flat.

OC47150
01-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Last night I saw Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I thought I read that Indiana Jones' appearance was based on Humphrey Bogart's character, which was close but not exact; he at least had the fedora, so there's that. It was quite enjoyable, and I didn't know much about it going in to it, so I didn't expect it to involve Bogart's character being driven mad by gold. Pretty fun overall.

I check this one out from the library about once a year. Bogie's descent into madness is great.

Resident Evil: Afterlife. Makes me wish I'd seen it in 3D. This series is one of my guilty pleasures.

The Expendables. Great action flick.

Legend of the Lost. Old John Wayne movie where he's a guide in the Sahara looking for lost treasure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
True Grit - The 1969 original. It was pretty good, but maybe a bit light (in both tone and visuals) for its subject matter, which is something the newer one apparently changed (though I haven't seen it).

JimJamBonds
01-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, I thought it was ok, nothing special.

Rocketboy
01-13-2011, 11:41 PM
A few documentaries:

Sweetgrass - beautiful looking (yet kinda boring), doc about Montana sheep herding.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated - A critical look at the MPAA and their double standards and hipocracy.

Man On Wire - Chronicles the 1974 highwire walk between the World Trade Centers twin towers.

TeeEye7
01-14-2011, 07:15 AM
This Film Is Not Yet Rated[/B] - A critical look at the MPAA and their double standards and hipocracy.

Never heard of this one. Is this on DVD or cable? I'd like to track this down....sounds very interesting.

Darth Metalmute
01-14-2011, 10:58 AM

What no Waterworld?:laugh:

Honestly, I would add Robin Hood to that list.

Rocketboy
01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Never heard of this one. Is this on DVD or cable? I'd like to track this down....sounds very interesting.I saw it via Netfix's Watch Instantly.

I f*cking love Watch Instantly!

Blue2th
01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
What no Waterworld?:laugh:

Honestly, I would add Robin Hood to that list.

I still like Waterworld and The Postman. Sure they're preachy post apocalyptic, but highly entertaining still.

Browsing Youtube for some B-17 Flying Fortress WWII footage I came across The War Lover with Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner. You can watch most of it there though I think they are missing some of the romance parts of the story which would explain McQueen's character's one crazy mofo attitude.
It's got him buzzing an airfield at low level in anger in a four engine bomber. :shocked:
I don't think this kinda flying footage has been topped on film anywhere before or since. Even though it's B&W the story is quite good. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=the+war+lover+steve+mcqueen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=the+war+lover+steve+mcqueen&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnso&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=UrcwTbqOBIaWsgOX48y3BQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CEkQqwQwBA&fp=32fa629a7c4b3012

JimJamBonds
01-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Polar Storm, it was on SyFy today. Very crusty, long story short an asteroid hits the earth and the earth's magnetic system goes screwey. So to fix this a scientist goes to the bottom of the Marianas (sp?) trench in a Russian diesel sub and detonates two 50 killatown nukes. Did they survive you ask? Yup, they 'rode' a thermal vent up thus avoiding the shockwave.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2011, 10:50 AM
The last half of Speed. I would imagine that this film today a) would just HAVE to be in 3-D, b) not be made due to the public attacks/terrorism motif in it, c) would've replaced most of the physical effects with CGI, thereby taking away from the suspense, d) would've been primed for a sequel.

[whisper, whisper] Really? [whisper, whisper] On a BOAT?!? ;)

sith_killer_99
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Rocketboy mentioned "This Film is Not Yet Rated" so last night I went ahead and watched it on Netflix.

It was okay, pretty interesting. Though it was obvious that the film makers had their own agenda from the start. Still there was some good stuff in there about the MPAA, the appeals process, etc.

TeeEye7
01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
The War Lover with Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner.

Thanks for this! Odd that I've never seen nor heard of this before given my advanced age and penchant for things WWII. How can it be that I've missed this? Now I need to track it down to see it all.

[edit] I just looked it up and saw that it was an UK-produced feature which may be the reason I haven't seen it before...it may not have been too popular on this side of The Pond and has resided over there...

Slicker
01-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I watched Iron Man and Transformers today. I also watched both of the football games and some Storage Wars.

Rocketboy
01-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Just saw The Green Hornet. It was ok.
Seth Rogen and Cameron Diaz are definitely the weak spots in the cast. Jay Chou and Chrisoph Waltz were far better.
The script and pacing both have some issues.
The 3D wasn't bad. I've heard its the best post-converted 3D yet, but I haven't seen any other post-converted films, so I can't compare.
Despite my problems with it, I'm not mad that I saw the movie. There are some cool action scenes and some good comedy.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
I watched Iron Man and Transformers today. I also watched both of the football games and some Storage Wars.You almost stole my TV watching day (no SW seen), Slick! Were you switching between TNT and FX?

bigbarada
01-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Just saw The Green Hornet. It was ok.
Seth Rogen and Cameron Diaz are definitely the weak spots in the cast. Jay Chou and Chrisoph Waltz were far better.
The script and pacing both have some issues.
The 3D wasn't bad. I've heard its the best post-converted 3D yet, but I haven't seen any other post-converted films, so I can't compare.
Despite my problems with it, I'm not mad that I saw the movie. There are some cool action scenes and some good comedy.

I watched this on Sunday, but not at a 3D theater. I agree that it was okay, but too much of a Seth Rogan vehicle for me. I probably won't watch it again and I definitely won't drive an hour out of town just to pay $10 to watch it in 3D.

El Chuxter
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
American Experience: Dinosaur Wars: an excellent PBS documentary on Othniel C. Marsh and Edward Drinker Cope that goes well beyond the typical "these two guys hated each other, they tried to outdo one another, and discovered about half the dinosaurs we know today" two-page writeup in every book about dinosaurs.

Othniel Marsh was, no question about it, the biggest d@&^#bag to ever walk the Earth (at least as far as non-homicidal people go). Cope was far from perfect, especially as time went on and Marsh's amazing d@&^iness was clearly getting under his skin and driving him nuts. But, still, Marsh was so incomprehensibly d@&^y that he probably stole a prototype video camera and made a habit of going around the neighborhood, molesting puppies, and then kidnapping their owners and forcing them to watch the film. Actually, no. That would be not d@&^y enough for him.

OC47150
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
True Grit - The 1969 original. It was pretty good, but maybe a bit light (in both tone and visuals) for its subject matter, which is something the newer one apparently changed (though I haven't seen it).

Saw this on MLK Day. It was good. A fast two hours. I liked where it was just different enough from the original, truer to the novel.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2011, 01:04 AM
The Curse of Frankenstein - The first of the Hammer horror films, and the first one I've seen. I thought it was interesting the way it focused more on Victor than on the monster, and it was different enough from the book and Universal movie to be unique. It was also really cool to see Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee together, as they were in many Hammer films, especially Lee as the monster, which was a strange sight to see.

AFCollector
01-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Currently watching the BBC's "Sherlock" with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Pretty good stuff, very smart and witty so far, if somewhat short for a season.

UKWildcat
01-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Watched The Other Guys last night for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Aim for the bushes... lol :thumbsup:

OC47150
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Predators. I was surprised to see find a copy at the library. I enjoyed it more the second time (saw it opening weekend in the theatre).

The locale feature on the DVD was cool. More was filmed in Hawaii than I thought.

OC47150
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Currently watching the BBC's "Sherlock" with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Pretty good stuff, very smart and witty so far, if somewhat short for a season.

I stumbled on "Sherlock" by accident and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope more of them air here in the states.

AFCollector
01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Well I got an Amazon gift card and saw the preview for it on last season's Dr. Who collection so I decided to get it. It was only 3 "episodes" but they run over an hour or so each, so not too bad. I would not have called it a 'season' though, so much as a 'collection'. Still very good though, I am with you, I hope they make more and show us.

Rocketboy
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Black Swan last night. Great flick. A bit ambiguous with amazing performances all around. Well deserved Golden Globe win by Natalie Portman,

nohagent
01-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Airwolf Season 1

OC47150
01-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Journey to the Center of the Earth. The original with James Mason and Pat Boone. It's not a bad flick for it's time.

Rocketboy
01-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Surrogates via Netflix Watch Instantly. Good flick, but only scratches the surface of what could have been a great sci-fi movie. It reminded me of I, Robot.

Darth Metalmute
01-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Kick-"Bleep". Was talked into it. Sat here from Netflix for three weeks.
I was pleasantly surprised. I actually found myself sitting at the edge of my chair during the conclusion.

Qui-Long Gone
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Yogi Bear with the kids. Actually "bear-able" movie. Not your "average" G flick.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
The Other Guys - I don't worship the ground Will Ferrell and Adam McKay walk on, like some (including my roommate, who had this movie) do. Too often it feels like their movies together have them trying really hard to be funny all the time, even when it feels like overkill or is completely unnecessary or is out of character. So it's like their others (Anchorman, Talladega Nights) in that regard. It was still funny and had some cool action but I'd like to see them reign it in a little bit.

JimJamBonds
01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
NFC title game, Packers over the Bears!!!

OC47150
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai. Hadn't seen this one in years. Got a copy for Christmas.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Special engagement at AMC Theaters of Airplane! tonight, complete with free poster. There were some laughs from the 30-40 people there, but not as many LOLs as I expected. Maybe some of the scenes and situations are lost on the "younger generation" (Supperware, disco scene, Ethel Merman, etc.). Still worth it.

p.s. I realize that I still own some of the S(T)upperware and clothes hamper props, myself!

OC47150
02-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Machete. Wow, what a ride! Over the top in every way! I'll be adding this one to my collection.

Bank Heist. An interesting Jason Statham movie about a 1970s bank robbery supported by elements of the British government.

Sahara. The Humphrey Bogart WWII movie. Very enjoyable.

Family Guy: It's a Trap! Enjoyable, but I still think the first one is the best. If I can find a copy reasonably priced, I'll pick it up.

The Other Guys. Another okay effort by Will Ferrell. Had it's funny moment.

El Chuxter
02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
"Louie, the Lilac"

Every bit as awesomely ridiculous as I remember.

"Some day, I'm going to control the flower market of the entire world! And with it, the Flower Generation!"

O yes. :beard:

(I always wonder if it's a sign of schizophrenia if Louie is one of my favorite Batman villains, though I'm such a "realistic Batman purist" that I can't stand him being in the Justice League.)

JEDIpartner
02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
I watched Easy A and Paper Man over the weekend. I didn't realise that Emma Stone was in both of them when I pulled them to the top of my Netflix queue. I really enjoyed both of them and I have to add that I'm glad that I saw both of them on the same weekend. I now have a huge appreciation for the talents of Ms Stone. I'll be keeping an eye on her going forward. Well done!!!

sith_killer_99
02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
I watched Easy A and Paper Man over the weekend. I didn't realise that Emma Stone was in both of them when I pulled them to the top of my Netflix queue. I really enjoyed both of them and I have to add that I'm glad that I saw both of them on the same weekend. I now have a huge appreciation for the talents of Ms Stone. I'll be keeping an eye on her going forward. Well done!!!

Yes, Emma Stone is quite talented, I suspect she will go far. I really enjoyed Easy A, despite the standard romantic comedy aspect of the film. She really made the movie.

On a side note, I watched Green Bay beat the Steelers last night.

I also recently watched "Saw VII" which was awesome!

Finally, I started watching "Dark Skies" the old TV show from the 90's. It wasn't quite as good as I remember, though still entertaining.

I began watching "The Girl Who Kicked the Hiornet's Nest" but wasn't into it, so I will need to begin again. It is an excellent series, but foreign films are those things you have to be ready to watch, if you are distracted at all you lose it.

OC47150
02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Black Sunday and Two-Minute Warning. I watch these two 70s movies every year on Super Bowl weekend.

Juggernaut. A mad bomber planted numerous unique bombs on a transatlantic cruise ship, and it's up to Richard Harris and his bomb disposal unit to disarm them. A lot of well-known British actors (and future SW alum) are in this 70s flick: Anthony Hopkins, Ian Holm, Julian Glover.

JimJamBonds
02-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Although watching Rocky V was tempting on AMC :eyesroll:, I instead decided to go with Just Friends.

JimJamBonds
02-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I watched Couples Retreat the other day. All in all another solid movie from team Vaughn/Favreau.

Jedi_nav
02-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Went to the dollar theater and saw Unstoppable. That was a great movie. Denzel Washington was great. I'm really starting to like Chris Pine. Hoping news will come out soon on a sequel to Star Trek.

Rocketboy
02-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Just finished up Winter's Bone, bringing my Best Picture viewing tally to 8/10.
Dark, depressing, but very well acted flick. Well deserved nomination for Jennifer Lawrence.

I'll finish up the nominees by watching The Kids Are Alright on DVD tomorrow afternoon, followed by 127 Hours at the theater tomorrow evening.

TeeEye7
02-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Over the past few days (in order):
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
The Enforcer
Sudden Impact

I was in the mood for cop fairy tales....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
The Enforcer
Sudden Impact

I was in the mood for cop fairy tales....
Oh, I still need to watch The Enforcer and Sudden Impact. I wonder why The Dead Pool isn't sold alongside the first four?

As to recently watched:
*The Balloonatic, Go West, and The Cameraman - Two Buster Keaton shorts and one of his features, in my American independent cinema class. The first two were produced independently with The Cameraman being under MGM, to show the differences. They were all pretty funny and hold up well.
*Shadows - A movie by John Cassavetes, also in the same class. It was sort of improvised and had a loose, unstructured feel, which was more interesting than maybe it sounds. Pretty good.
*Blade Runner - They were going to watch a somewhat related movie in the indie film class, though I missed it thanks to a screwy alarm clock. I wanted to refresh myself on this one, and hopefully see a different version, though we ended up with the same 1992 "Director's Cut" version I had already seen. I liked it better this time, though some of it is still a little hard to follow.
*The Big Lebowski - Everyone's always saying great things about this, though I had never seen it before. I enjoyed it quite a lot. I wouldn't call it the greatest ever (as many people seem to revere it), but it was definitely fun.
*General Spanky - An "Our Gang" feature set in the Civil War. There was some pretty racist stuff, but I guess nothing unexpected given the time and content. Still fairly fun, though it was weird having the Union be the antagonists.

TeeEye7
02-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Oh, I still need to watch The Enforcer and Sudden Impact. I wonder why The Dead Pool isn't sold alongside the first four?

Probably because it's the worst of the lot (IMO). Dumb story line. Definitely watch The Enforcer. Decent story line and good reflection of what was happening in the 1970's. My second favorite of the series.

When are you going to start your Dirty Harry parody anyway?

Rocketboy
02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
But The Dead Pool had Jim Carrey singing "Welcome To The Jungle!"

I finished up my 2011 Best Picture nominee list by seeing 127 Hours last night. Really good flick, although rather brutal at one obvious point. Franco is really good and deserving of his Best Actor nomination.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
The Enforcer
Sudden Impact
I was in the mood for cop fairy tales....Is that because this thread has .357 pages now? :ironicdontyouthink: :eek:

Ando
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Unknown with Liam Neeson. INTENSE.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Probably because it's the worst of the lot (IMO). Dumb story line. Definitely watch The Enforcer. Decent story line and good reflection of what was happening in the 1970's. My second favorite of the series.

When are you going to start your Dirty Harry parody anyway?
Well, I need to see the other films first! :D I do have the next two on DVD so it will hopefully happen soon. My "production company" and I have several movies backed up right now so we'll finish those up over the next few months and then get to the Dirty Harry one. Maybe it'll coincide with the sixth actual film. :p

I saw Cedar Rapids last night and thought it was pretty good. The storyline and plot was predictable, but there's still a good amount of fun in there.

Raging Derelict
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I just watched Indiana Jones 1. Good movie!

sith_killer_99
02-26-2011, 12:39 AM
I just watched "Waiting for Superman"!!!

Awesome movie!

Rocketboy
02-26-2011, 12:54 AM
I just watched "Waiting for Superman"!!!

Awesome movie!I heard it's a huge disappointment because Superman never shows up.

sith_killer_99
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM
I heard it's a huge disappointment because Superman never shows up.

Not true, he does appear in the film, though it's the old black and white television series version of Superman.

sith_killer_99
03-02-2011, 01:11 AM
I watched "Freakonomics" today!

Good movie, not great, some fun stuff, some boring stuff, still worth watching if you are into the whole "documentary" format.

OC47150
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
The Hangover. Hadn't seen it before. Very funny.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
I caught Strange Days on cable yesterday, about a weird tech dude (Ralph "Don't Pronounce My Name Correctly" Fiennes) in Dec. 1999 (remember Y2K and the end of the world?) who has a technology that's a form of virtual reality. Angela Basset, Tom Sizemore, and Juliette Lewis also appear. Violent, freaky, disturbing, somewhat confusing, and sadly still a negative commentary on current society; but I couldn't turn it off.

Ando
03-09-2011, 07:37 PM
I just read through the plot synopsis of Strange Days on Wikipedia (this is my new thing, since I hate paying for movies that end up sucking).

Yikes! That movie sounds AWFUL!

OC47150
03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
The A-Team (2010. Definitely different than the tv show, but enjoyable. The writers were getting a little confused on the team's military origins: Rangers or Special Forces?

The Losers (2010). Good shoot 'em up. Watched it twice.

Inception (2010). Beeen wanting to see it for a while. It was good, and I think I understand it.

Dillinger (1973). The title tells it all about this early 70s gangster tale. Warren Oates is Dillinger and Richard Dreyfus (!!) was Machine Gun Kelly or Pretty Boy Floyd.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I just read through the plot synopsis of Strange Days on Wikipedia (this is my new thing, since I hate paying for movies that end up sucking).

Yikes! That movie sounds AWFUL!Yes, it was bad. But it could've been called Car Wreck, as I just could not seem to draw away from it. :(

JimJamBonds
03-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Scareface ~ I'd never seen it before and while I thought it was good it didn't live up to the hype.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Was that SCARface, JJB? I checked, and Scareface is a film about a clown-by-night, cosmetologist-by-day story. :p I have a sad list of famous and top-ranked films I've never seen (some of which would get my Guy card pulled, if too many people knew)... so I'll list (LISTS... :drool: ) them below anyway:

- The Exorcist
- any Saw film
- any Woody Allen film
- any King Kong version
- The Blair Witch Project
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Dr. Zivago
- any Godfather film
- Good Will Hunting
- most Sean Connery Bond films
- Titanic
- Scarface
- Good Fellas
- The Usual Suspects
- Jaws
- Amadeus
- Psycho
- Inception
- Dr. Strangelove
- LA Confidential
- Braveheart
- Chinatown
- Singin' in the Rain
- The Deer Hunter
- Platoon
- Wall Street
- The Big Lewbowski
- Metropolis
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- Fargo
- Raging Bull

I'll stop before I make some of you mad. :rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Was that SCARface, JJB? I checked, and Scareface is a film about a clown-by-night, cosmetologist-by-day story. :p I have a sad list of famous and top-ranked films I've never seen (some of which would get my Guy card pulled, if too many people knew)... so I'll list (LISTS... :drool: ) them below anyway:

- The Exorcist
- any Saw film
- any Woody Allen film
- any King Kong version
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Dr. Zivago
- any Godfather film
- Good Will Hunting
- Titanic
- Scarface
- Good Fellas
- The Usual Suspects
- Jaws
- Amadeus
- Psycho
- Inception
- Dr. Strangelove
- LA Confidential
- Braveheart
- Chinatown
- Singin' in the Rain
- The Deer Hunter
- Platoon
- Wall Street
- The Big Lewbowski
- Metropolis
- Fargo
- Raging Bull

No big deal, in fact this is a good thing. Now all you have to do is setup a Netflix account, you already have a list set up, go from there.

Darth Metalmute
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM

- The Exorcist
- any Saw film
- any Woody Allen film
- any King Kong version
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Dr. Zivago
- any Godfather film
- Good Will Hunting
- Titanic
- Scarface
- Good Fellas
- The Usual Suspects
- Jaws
- Amadeus
- Psycho
- Inception
- Dr. Strangelove
- LA Confidential
- Braveheart
- Chinatown
- Singin' in the Rain
- The Deer Hunter
- Platoon
- Wall Street
- The Big Lewbowski
- Metropolis
- Fargo
- Raging Bull

Don't feel bad, I've only seen five on that list. Although I can't believe you haven't seen Jaws with as many times as that has been on USA in the past 25 years...

sith_killer_99
03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
The only films from BCJ's list I have not seen are:

Titanic - Which I refuse to watch EVER!
Inception - Which I own on blu-ray but have not had time to watch yet.
Fargo - Just have not gotten around to it.

Films I have watch but do not really remember because it's been so long since I have seen them, as I was a child/kid/teenager when I saw them:

Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Zivago
Amadeus
Singin' In the Rain
Raging Bull

I should probably re-watch them at some point. Half of the films on the list I own on DVD or blu-ray. lol

JimJamBonds
03-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Was that SCARface, JJB? I checked, and Scareface is a film about a clown-by-night, cosmetologist-by-day story. :p Oops my bad! The teacher in you just came out BCJ! ;)As far as your list goes I haven't seen many of them either. I've seen parts of most of them but as far as the whole sha bang a bang here we go...

- any Saw film
1-3 for this guy

- any King Kong version
Not sure which one but I have seen an "older" version, its in black and white.

- any Godfather film
I own them but haven't yet watched them.
- Scarface
First time was just the other day.
- Jaws
Yup long time ago.
- Psycho
Same as Jaws.

- The Big Lewbowski
Yup
- Metropolis
Watched it in a German cinema class I took in college.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Don't feel bad, I've only seen five on that list. Although I can't believe you haven't seen Jaws with as many times as that has been on USA in the past 25 years...Oh, I'm sure that I have seen multiple scenes of each film on my list, many times by flipping through cable channels, but not the ENTIRE film at one time (although, I've only seen clips of Metropolis as part of documentaries).

bigbarada
03-15-2011, 01:22 AM
I saw Rango yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Easily one of the best 3D animated films I've ever seen, not just in terms of the quality of the animation, but in the storyline itself.

bigbarada
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Just watched Battle for Los Angeles this evening and it was pretty good. I'm not a fan of Aaron Eckhart at all, but I think he did a great job in this movie. His character is one we've seen in many war movies - the haunted war veteran trying to escape demons from his past; but he actually played it low key and genuine enough to pull it off and not look like he was trying to steal the movie away. Although I am starting to tire of big budget movies that try to look like they were shot with a handheld camera. I don't feel that it significantly detracted from this film; but I would have preferred less jumpiness in the cinematography. Overall, I still liked the movie, it was kind of like a realistic version of Independence Day on a smaller, "ground-level" scale with much more realistic characters. It did have the predictability that we've come to expect from the 'alien invasion' genre, but it's still worth watching.

OC47150
03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Escape from New York. This is a great Friday night movie. And I did something I normally don't do: I watched it again with the commentary on. Carpenter and Russell sound like old friends getting together for a good time. I'm gonna have to watch Carpenter's The Thing and see how the commentary compares.

Che! Omar Sharif is the Cuban revolutionary, and Jack Palance is Fidel Castro. Not the greatest flick but informative.

sith_killer_99
03-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I just finished watching "Inception"!

Awesome flick. I was never a big fan of Leo D. but ever since "The Departed" I have really enjoyed his work, Shutter Island, and now Inception!

OC47150
03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I just finished watching "Inception"!

Awesome flick. I was never a big fan of Leo D. but ever since "The Departed" I have really enjoyed his work, Shutter Island, and now Inception!

But Leo needs to change his appearance. I haven't seen Shutter Island, but in several of his last movies he has the same style facial hair and that makes it hard to distinguish the movies apart.

Toolbox Murders. Not a bad horror flick from Tobe Hooper.

sith_killer_99
03-21-2011, 11:56 PM
But Leo needs to change his appearance. I haven't seen Shutter Island, but in several of his last movies he has the same style facial hair and that makes it hard to distinguish the movies apart.

Toolbox Murders. Not a bad horror flick from Tobe Hooper.

His character in Shutter Island and Inception is also very identical, hanted past, guilt ridden, etc. It works well for him though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Dead Man - Directed by Jim Jarmusch, starring Johnny Depp. I enjoyed this one a lot. It has a "meandering" plot that indie films can claim were intentional and get away with, that if a Hollywood movie tried, people would call it bad. :p

Blue Steel - Directed by Kathryn Bigelow, starring Jamie Lee Curtis. I really liked this one, too. A more or less standard cop movie with interesting gender implications. Great performance from Clancy "Savage Opress" Brown.

Do The Right Thing - Directed by and starring Spike Lee. Yet again, very, very good. A really well done portrayal of a neighborhood as racial tensions boil over with innovative filmmaking style.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2011, 10:56 AM
My 200th (according to yet another of my lists [LISTS... :drool: ] that I keep) different in-theater movie I've seen over my lifetime was... The King's Speech (yep, it's still in at least one theater 'round here). Excellent, simple; I see now why it definitely deserved the Best Picture Oscar TM. And, in case you're wondering...

1. Addams Family, The
2. Age of Innocence, The
3. Air Force One
4. Airplane!
5. Aladdin
6. Alice in Wonderland 3-D
7. Alvin and the Chipmunks
8. Angels and Demons
9. Annie
10. Another You
11. Apollo 13
12. As Good As It Gets
13. Austin Powers in Goldmember
14. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
15. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
16. Avatar 3-D
17. Batman
18. Batman and Robin
19. Batman Begins
20. Batman Returns
21. Beautiful Mind, A
22. Beauty and the Beast
23. Big Fish
24. Bill and Tedís Bogus Journey
25. Billy Bathgate
26. Black Stallion Returns, The
27. Blind Side, The
28. Bridget Jonesí Diary
29. Bugís Life, A (2)
30. Cars
31. Cast Away
32. CB4
33. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
34. Charlie Wilsonís War
35. Charlotteís Web
36. Chronicles of Narnia:The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, The
37. City Slickers
38. Clash of the Titans
39. Clear and Present Danger
40. Cloak and Dagger
41. Corporation, The
42. Corpse Bride
43. Courage Under Fire
44. Curious George
45. Dark Crystal, The
46. Dark Knight, The
47. Da Vinci Code, The
48. Demolition Man
49. Deuce Bigelow: European Gigolo
50. Dragnet
51. Dumb & Dumber
52. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (2)
53. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial Special Edition
54. Empire Strikes Back Special Edition, The (2)
55. Empire Strikes Back, The (4)
56. Face/Off
57. Fanboys
58. Fantasia 2000
59. Finding Neverland
60. Flight of the Navigator
61. Flintstones, The
62. Forrest Gump
63. Fox and the Hound, The
64. Freedom Writers
65. Fugitive, The
66. Full Monty, The
67. Galaxy Quest
68. Get Smart
69. Ghostbusters
70. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
71. Godzilla
72. Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets IMAX
73. Great Mouse Detective, The
74. Great Muppet Caper, The
75. Gremlins
76. Gulliverís Travels
77. Happy Feet
78. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
79. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
80. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
81. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
82. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
83. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
84. Harry Potter and the Sorcererís Stone
85. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
86. Hiding Out
87. High School High
88. Hook
89. Hot Shots Part Deux
90. Hot Shots!
91. Hunchback of Notre Dame, The
92. Incredible Hulk, The
93. Incredibles, The
94. Independence Day
95. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (3)
96. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
97. Iron Man
98. Iron Man 2
99. Jumanji
100. Jungle Book, The
101. Jurassic Park
102. Karate Kid Part II, The
103. Kingís Speech, The
104. Land of the Lost
105. Legends of the Fall
106. Lion King, The
107. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2)
108. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The
109. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The
110. Lost World: Jurassic Park II, The
111. Mafia!
112. Man on the Moon
113. Mask of Zorro, The
114. Men In Black
115. Meteor Man
116. Monsters, Inc.
117. Mouse Hunt
118. Mr. Hollandís Opus
119. Muppets Take Manhattan, The
120. Naked Gun 2 1/2, The
121. Naked Gun 33 1/3, The
122. Naked Gun, The
123. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
124. Nightmare Before Christmas, The
125. Notebook, The
126. Nothing to Lose
127. Oceanís Eleven
128. On the Right Track
129. Out to Sea
130. Panís Labyrinth
131. Patch Adams
132. Paternity
133. Pelican Brief, The
134. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Manís Chest
135. Pocahontas
136. Polar Express, The
137. Popeye
138. Producers, The
139. Pulp Fiction
140. Pure Luck
141. Quantum of Solace
142. Quicksilver
143. Raiders of the Lost Ark (2)
144. Remember the Titans
145. Rescuers, The
146. Return of the Jedi
147. Return of the Jedi Special Edition (2)
148. Rookie of the Year
149. Santa Clause, The
150. Saving Private Ryan
151. Sherlock Holmes
152. Shrek 2
153. Shrek the Third
154. Simpsons Movie, The (3)
155. Six Days Seven Nights
156. Soapdish
157. Space Balls
158. Special Effects IMAX
159. Star Trek
160. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
161. Star Trek: Generations
162. Star Wars (2)
163. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (11)
164. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2)
165. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones IMAX Edition
166. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (5)
167. Star Wars Special Edition (2)
168. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
169. Stay Tuned
170. Stealth
171. Stuart Little
172. Summer School
173. Superman
174. Superman II
175. Superman III
176. Sword in the Stone, The
177. Syriana
178. That Thing You Do!
179. Tough Guys
180. Top Gun
181. Toy Story
182. Toy Story 2
183. Toy Story 3 3-D
184. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
185. Tron: Legacy 3-D
186. True Lies
187. Twins
188. U-571
189. Up
190. Urban Cowboy
191. WALL-E
192. Watchmen (2)
193. Water
194. Wayneís World
195. Wayneís World 2
196. Where the Wild Things Are
197. White Men Canít Jump
198. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
199. X-Men
200. X-Men: The Last Stand

The parenthetical number after some of them means the number of times I saw that particular film (therefore, The Phantom Menace MUST be the greatest film I've ever seen, right? :rolleyes: ).

sith_killer_99
03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
You actually watched TMP 11 times in theaters!?!?

I have only ever watched the Star Wars films more than once in theaters, having seen each twice on the big screen.

OC47150
03-26-2011, 02:23 PM
I have only ever watched the Star Wars films more than once in theaters, having seen each twice on the big screen.

Any chance I've had to see any of the SW films on the big screen, I go. I've seen ANH the most, close to 10. The prequels are about 2 - 3 times each.

Then again, any chance I have to see a classic movie on the big screen, either film print or DVD, I'm there. One of the classic restored theatres in the area does a summer movie series each year. Won't know the theme until late June. Last year it was Hitchcock, and the previous year, class Universal movie monsters. Another theatre does a midnight summer movie fest.

TeeEye7
03-26-2011, 07:08 PM

That's about the same number of times for me in theaters. This was our son's initiation into SW other than video. He couldn't get enough! The family hit the bargain matinee so we wouldn't break the bank. He's an incurable SWer just like his parents! :thumbsup:

ANH holds the record, though. Six (maybe more) viewings in the US and about twelve in Spain. :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2011, 11:06 PM

I have only ever watched the Star Wars films more than once in theaters, having seen each twice on the big screen.I was, like many other fans, starved for a NEW Star Wars film. The Special Editions were great, but I'd seen them already. That, plus the fact that there were a couple discount theaters around where $5 was close to a rental fee and these were new movies, made that summer fun to see it.

I rarely see non-SW films multiple times in theaters; in fact, I see few non-SW films in theaters even once (as my 200 different movies means I'd only see about 6 movies yearly).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Yesterday, Fox Movie Channel had Cleopatra looping throughout the day. Proof that special effects might actually take away from strong acting and good story (most of those $cene$ involved actual $et$, which co$t mucho buck$)..

JimJamBonds
03-31-2011, 10:57 PM

I think I saw it something like 9.5 times. Yup I went in after seeing something else. ROTS is my all time champ with something like 16-17 viewings.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Got sucked into the every-so-often playing of Shawshank Rerun-tion yesterday. "I mena, how often does someone look at another man's shoes?" I did, this time (as well as seeking out other I-know-the-plot details).

OC47150
04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
King of the Zombies. A B&W feature from 1941 about a Navy plane that crashes on a Caribbean island. Far from a classic, but still enjoyable.

The Last of Shelia. An interesting whodunit form 1973 starring James Coburn, James Mason, Richard Benjamin and Raquel Welch (grrr). Coburn calls together guests from the previous year's party with hopes of finding his wife's hit-and-run killer.

On the Beach (1959) with Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner.

sith_killer_99
04-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Case 39 - It was okay, nothing special, nothing too unexpected.

Let Me In - WTF?!?! It was NOT what I expected; which, honestly, was something along the lines of Case 39. Boy was I wrong. It's slow, eerie, creepy, odd. Not your typical vampire flick.

Lord Malakite
04-09-2011, 10:59 PM
I Love You Phillip Morris - Quite an amazing, touching and funny movie for something that is loosely based upon the real life events/exploits of con artist Steven Russell. One of Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor's finest performances thus far.

bigbarada
04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I've been on a movie-renting binge recently, so I've seen:

Black Swan - really enjoyed this movie (and not just because of a certain scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis). I haven't seen a good psychological drama in a while and I thought this one was pretty well done. I'll probably end up buying this one when the price goes down.

Kick *** - finally got around to seeing this one. I'm getting slightly burned out on superhero movies so this didn't really interest me when it came out in theaters. Although if I had known it was a superhero movie made for people who are starting to get tired of superhero movies, then I probably would have watched it earlier. This is another one I'll probably buy, despite the fact that it has Nicolas Cage in it.

127 Hours - Awesome movie! I actually watched it one morning after an all-night shift at work and I was initially a bit worried that the film would put me to sleep because I had read that so much of the story takes place with him trapped under the rock. However, I can say that was definitely not the case. Really an amazing story and just seeing everything that he had to do to keep himself alive, while his mental state continued to deteriorate kept my interest throughout the film. This is definitely a movie that I will buy.

Skyline - this movie was okay, although I think the last scene of the film should have been the first scene (instead of the "flash-forward" scene that they used for the beginning of the film). The characters were a bit 1-dimensional and not very well written. Plus there were several major plot developments that were NEVER explained and it seemed like they were trying really hard to set up a sequel. Considering how the movie seemed to generate no buzz whatsoever during it's theatrical and DVD releases, I don't think that's likely at all. If a direct to DVD sequel shows up and the story pays off in a satisfactory way, then I might pick up a multipack of this someday.

The Social Network - Probably one of the best movies that I've seen in the last few years. I've been a big fan of Jesse Eisenberg ever since Zombieland and it's great to see him play a similar type of character, but a little darker and much more nuanced. I liked everything about this movie and there wasn't a single moment that seemed to drag on. I love the way it came full circle in the end and I didn't mind at all that it left a big question mark as the credits rolled (although I wouldn't mind knowing if his friend request was ever accepted). I was actually going to buy this on DVD yesterday, but Walmart was sold out, so I'll have to wait. I did buy the soundtrack off of iTunes and have listened to it almost nonstop since then. The music was amazing as well!

El Chuxter
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Rashomon: I've always thought Akira Kurosawa was overrated trash, but figured I should see if maybe one of the movies I've not seen had any of this greatness Lucas and Lindquist and others claim to see. This movie was awful. First of all, I hate Toshiro Mifune, and it bugs the s*** out of me that Kurosawa cast him in so many movies. As a reflection of the dark nature of the human soul, this failed miserably. The "conflicting stories" angle was so much a ripoff of an old episode of Family Ties that it made me sick; how dare this hack claim credit for this? And, really, would it have killed them to put some color in it? I hate that artsy-fartsy black and white crud.

Ghost World: Another ripe turd. I hate Steve Buscemi almost as much as Toshiro Mifune, so it sucked when he showed up. The focus should've been more on Scarlett Johansson rather than that Thora Birch moron. The music stunk, especially all that worthless old blues music they used--there's a reason it's old, people, it sucks! And, come on, did you think we wouldn't notice people getting on a bus that says it's "out of service"? That's not how buses work! It was too close to the comic book they based on it, too, even though the story overall was much tighter in the comic.

Caligula: Wow. I was blown away by this movie and plan to watch it at least once a month until I die. The nudity and violence was used judiciously when the demands of the script called for them, never gratuitously. Some incredible acting by folks like Peter O'Toole and Helen Mirren, whom I'm sure put this flick at the top of their resumes. It was like a history lesson on the screen the way it stuck closely to the historical record, and the next time I watch it, I'm watching it with my kids so they appreciate the way ancient Rome functioned. I highly recommend it; this may be the best non-sequel I've ever seen, almost as good as Highlander 2, Batman & Robin, and Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

(The preceding brought to you by the letters S, A, R, C, A again, S again, and M.)

jonthejedi
04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm all over Hobo With A Shotgun when it comes to theaters...I think it previews on HDNet soon. Yes, it's actually called Hobo With A Shotgun. The star is Rutger Hauer.

JimJamBonds
04-20-2011, 08:52 AM
The Shawshank Redemption, loved it when it first came out and its still an awesome flick imho.

jonthejedi
04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Best King adaption, period.

JimJamBonds
04-20-2011, 08:02 PM
MacGruber, meh. It had its moments (not very many), in short I'd like that time back please.

sith_killer_99
04-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Best King adaption, period.

So say all the reviews.

Honorable mentions to:

The Green Mile
Misery
The Shining (mini-series)
The Stand
It

Usually King's work needs a mini-series to really play out well. The Shinning may have been better with Jack as the main character, but the mini-series really fleshed out the story line and was superior in every other way.

bigbarada
04-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Inception - I decided to see what all the fuss was about and I really enjoyed this movie. Very well thought out and fun to try to keep up with. I'll probably have to watch it again to really be able to follow everything.

Frozen - really disappointed by this one. For those who don't know, it's about 3 skiers who get trapped on a ski lift after the ski lodge closes down for the week. I was hoping for a lot of frightening moments and a lot of gore, but the movie delivered neither of those. Also it was clearly a low budget film and some of the "special effects" were laughably bad. This is an instance were a bigger budget and some computer-generated effects would have helped sell the story immensely. Really more like a film school project than a serious motion picture. There were also some major plot holes, but I don't want to give anything way for anyone who might be interested in seeing it. It does star Shawn Ashmore (Iceman from the X-Men films) and I actually spent most of the movie trying to figure out where I had seen him before (I ended up having to Google his name after seeing the end credits).

jonthejedi
04-21-2011, 06:07 AM
KIck ***...I was late seeing this cult film, but it was on cable...and I have 90 free days to sample alot of channels. Chloe Grace Moretz is a revelation...I then had to see her in Let Me In. She's an actress to watch in the coming years.

jonthejedi
04-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Speaking of INCEPTION...yes, bigbarada, it does demand repeat viewing. What was your take on the final shot in the film. I have my opinion. All I will say to people is pay close attention to the clothes Leo D's kids are wearing throughout the film(especially the finale), and you will have a somewhat definitive answer.

sith_killer_99
04-24-2011, 02:27 AM
I just finished watching "Cool It". The documentary by Bjorn Lomborg. This movie is awesome! :thumbsup:

Every environmentalist should see this film. It really puts things into perspective.:yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Missed the beginning, but saw the rest of Apocalyto. I might try to catch it later, from start to finish, some time.

JimJamBonds
04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
The Other Guys.... ehh a few decent moments but nothing great.

TeeEye7
05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Over the week end...

Beverly Hills Chihuahua with my niece and nephew. The Disney formula for movies hasn't changed much since I was a kid.

2001: A Space Odyssey...still as good as I first saw it many, many years ago.

bigbarada
05-02-2011, 09:05 PM
The King's Speech - very well made and I can see why it won best picture. It seems like such a trivial thing to base an entire movie on, but the film gives great insight into the lives of the Royal Family and how they can actually have less freedom than "commoners" and all of their privileges can be just as much of a curse as a benefit.

Good - Viggo Mortensen plays a German academic who fundamentally disagrees with what the Nazis stand for, but unintentionally ends up strengthening their cause and becoming one of them. The story shows the progression of how someone can enable evil without actually being evil. The film itself is a little rough around the edges though. It jumps around a lot and is awkwardly edited in parts making it more difficult to follow than necessary. Worth watching once.

OC47150
05-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Gunga Din (1939). An interesting tale of British soldiers in Colonial India. Cary Grant plays one of the soldiers.

Alvarez Kelly. William Holden is a cattle man who's blackmailed by Confederate Richard Widmark to steal the herd of cattle Holden just delivered to the Union.

Virginia City. Union spy Errol Flynn has to stop Confederate Randolph Scott from delivering $5 million in gold to the Confederacy. What caught my attention about this flick was Humphrey Bogart played a Mexican bandit!

JimJamBonds
05-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World.

OC47150
05-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Monte Walsh (1970). An interesting western with Lee Marvin about cowboys in the changing times.

Grand Prix. A James Garner flick about the racing circuit from the 1960s.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2011, 11:00 AM
How did this weekend get considered Horror Central? As I trolled the cable channels in the evening, here's what was on (I did not watch any of them, just saw clips as I surfed)... The Sixth Sense, American Psycho, Sisters (a 70s flick with a younger Margot Kidder), Children of the Corn: Some New Subtitle Version), and I stopped remembering after that.

sith_killer_99
05-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Last night I watched "The Green Hornet".

Good movie, very funny, but Britt's character was a bit too much of an a-hole for my taste.

OC47150
05-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Ocean's Eleven. The original with the Chairman of the Board! What a fun movie.

The Wolfman (1941).

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. (1973) Sam Peckinpah's take on the Billy the Kid story with equal consideration to Garrett, played by James Coburn. Kris Kristopherson was the Kid, and Bob Dylan had a role as Alias, as well as contributed music.

Sniper: Reloaded. A DTV sequel starring someone new and Billy Zane. The first part of the movie was a little slow, IMO, but picked up. I enjoyed it.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-30-2011, 09:07 PM
My first film in a theater in a long time was Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides today. It was fun, and I think it's my favorite of the three POTC films.

OC47150
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
My first film in a theater in a long time was Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides today. It was fun, and I think it's my favorite of the three POTC films.

I saw that today, too, in 3D. I thought the 3D effects were a great improvement over Avatar. Didn't give me a headache! :yes:

sith_killer_99
06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I took my daughter to see "Kung Fu Panda 2" this weekend, we watched the 3D version. They left the ending open for a third film. It was actually quite good, we both enjoyed it very much. :thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
06-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1. I kept waiting for the movie to get somewhat good and by the time that it did, I really stopped caring. I hope it is suffering from Pirates of the Carribian: Dead Man's Chest syndrome.

sith_killer_99
06-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Watched "X-Men: First Class" last night! AWESOME!

It is now one of my favorite X-Men films. My only real disappointment was with the relationship between Charles and Erik. I was expecting it to be longer, more drawn out, like a life long friendship that developed over the course of several years before being driven apart.

I guess it was to be expected since they tried to do it in one film, still, they managed to develop the relationship between Charles and Raven (Mystique) in the film and it worked really well.

I think they terminated things too early between Erik and Charles. They should have kept them together through the end of this film, then pushed the break away story in a sequel.

Otherwise I would say they did a fantastic job.

jedibear
06-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I saw XFC this weekend too. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was, Great script, great cast, good production all-around. I highly recommend it!

sith_killer_99
06-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I saw XFC this weekend too. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was, Great script, great cast, good production all-around. I highly recommend it!

I agree, but what did you think about the Professor X/Magneto (Charles/Erik) relationship? Did it fell a bit short to you?

Darth Metalmute
06-06-2011, 08:57 AM
I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in 3-D this weekend. It was my first 3-D movie and outside of the glasses feeling annoying because I already wear glasses, it wasn't too bad. As for the movie itself, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. Better than Dead Man's Chest but not as good as At Worlds End. It kind of suffers from the Star Wars curse, where you have good chemistry in the original trilogy (Ford/Hammill/Fisher and Depp/Bloom/Knightley) and struggle to find it in the next set of movies.

OC47150
06-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Guadacanal Diary.

Big Jake. John Wayne in his later years. I didn't intend to watch all of it, just the first bit where he's introduced, but I hadn't seen it in a while and ended up watching all of it.

Night of the Lepus. Stuart Whitman, Rory Calhoun and DeForest Kelley fight killer rabbits in the west! The first time I saw this movie was 15+ years ago. TNT showed it on Easter Sunday! Talk about scaring kids! :yes:

Grizzly. Another cheesy wild animal movie from the early 70s. Christopher George of Rat Patrol is a park ranger.

figrin bran
06-07-2011, 01:45 AM
I agree, but what did you think about the Professor X/Magneto (Charles/Erik) relationship? Did it fell a bit short to you?

That's what I thought. Also, Charles should not have been so okay with Raven joining Erik on the dark side. You would think he would have protested that more.

sith_killer_99
06-07-2011, 03:16 AM
That's what I thought. Also, Charles should not have been so okay with Raven joining Erik on the dark side. You would think he would have protested that more.

I don't remember if that was before or after he got shot. :( But yeah, he should have been pretty upset by that, considering she was like a sister to him.

Still it was a fantastic film!

TeeEye7
06-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Stayed up to watch Open Range night before last. The more I see it , the more I believe it is gaining Classic Western status.

JimJamBonds
06-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Live Free Or Die Hard.

bigbarada
06-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Watched "X-Men: First Class" last night! AWESOME!

It is now one of my favorite X-Men films. My only real disappointment was with the relationship between Charles and Erik. I was expecting it to be longer, more drawn out, like a life long friendship that developed over the course of several years before being driven apart.

I guess it was to be expected since they tried to do it in one film, still, they managed to develop the relationship between Charles and Raven (Mystique) in the film and it worked really well.

I think they terminated things too early between Erik and Charles. They should have kept them together through the end of this film, then pushed the break away story in a sequel.

Otherwise I would say they did a fantastic job.

I saw this on Friday night and it was definitely the best X-Men movie yet. They did such an amazing job of developing Magneto's character, especially the opening portion of the film in the concentration camp. The relationship between Charles and Xavier did seem a little rushed, but I would never have expected it to last even as long as it did.

I thought the kid who played Hank McCoy did an excellent job, even though most of the film's rewrites of Beast's powers and origin are nearly unforgivable. They pretty much stripped him of all of his abilities except his mutated feet (which were a little too mutated) and his speed. He demonstrated almost no acrobatic ability. Beast's agility is supposed to be equal to Spider-Man's, but you get no sense of that at all in the film.

What's surprised me the most is that there is no hype or merchandise whatsoever for this film. Where are all the X-Men: First Class toys? It's like Marvel and Hasbro expected the movie to be a flop.

OC47150
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Above Suspicion. When I think of Fred McMurray, I think of Disney movies and My Three Sons, not a movie about him and Joan Crawford playing a newlywed couple spying in Europe in the last days before WWII. It was a pretty good flick.

JimJamBonds
06-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Se7en, was on AMC the other day, still a pretty good movie imho.

sith_killer_99
06-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I watched "Aaah Zombies" today!

A terrible B movie with a wonderfully fresh perspective of the Zombie genre! It was just bad enough to be good, and unique enough for me to recommend. Sure it was out there and unrealistic, but then again, it's a frickin' zombie movie. lol

JimJamBonds
06-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Terminator, we're roughly 17 years away from that story happening.

Jedi_nav
06-20-2011, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=OC47150;749877]Night of the Lepus. Stuart Whitman, Rory Calhoun and DeForest Kelley fight killer rabbits in the west! The first time I saw this movie was 15+ years ago. TNT showed it on Easter Sunday! Talk about scaring kids! :yes:

Did you find this on TV or do you have this on DVD? I watched this movie several years ago while staying up Christmas eve wrapping presents for my kids with my sister. Ahh the memories. Been trying to find it ever since. For the laugh factor.

JimJamBonds
06-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

bigbarada
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
District 9 and Children of Men. I actually own both on DVD and I watch them from time to time.

JimJamBonds
06-24-2011, 05:49 PM
A League of Their Own. Yup, somebody found AMC last night!

Darth Metalmute
06-26-2011, 12:12 AM
The Phantom Menace. It's my daughters first viewing of a Star Wars movie. I wanted to start her off with Episode 4, but my son insisted on Episode 1. Unfortunately, now i have to show her Episode 2.

sith_killer_99
06-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Not really a movie, but I just finished watching season 1 of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"!

What an outstanding and well done show this was.

Darth Metalmute
06-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Not really a movie, but I just finished watching season 1 of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"!

What an outstanding and well done show this was.

It's a shame it didn't make it. I have both seasons on Netflix but I can't figure out which ones are the un-aired ones.

JimJamBonds
06-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Trading Places, my favorite Eddie Murphy/Dan Akryod vehicle.

sith_killer_99
06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
It's a shame it didn't make it. I have both seasons on Netflix but I can't figure out which ones are the un-aired ones.

I still mourn this show once a week! :(

Lord Malakite
06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
I have both seasons on Netflix but I can't figure out which ones are the un-aired ones.
I always seem to find that Wikipedia and/or TV.com go out of their way to mention whether or not an episode is "un-aired". Could try looking there to figure it out.

I still mourn this show once a week! :(
Great show. I miss it as well.

On a related Netflix note, I learned about a week ago that both theatrical movies and seasons 1 through 18 of Power Rangers are now available via streaming. :laugh: :thumbsup: Only thing missing is the current 19th season.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Super 8, an excellent film. I'll go back and check this thread to see if anyone else posted about something that's in SPOILER white text below...

\/
\/
\/
\/

Watch for the blue lights that stretch across the screen; it's a clue that the alien will soon appear. At least, I think it happened each time.

/\
/\
/\

And... end scene. :)

OC47150
07-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Three Act Tragedy and The Clocks. Two Agatha Christie movies starring H. Poriot that recently aired on PBS's Masterpiece Mystery. I enjoy these mysteries because they're smart and I normally can't guess who the killer is. :yes:

The Dogs of War. When Christopher Walken still acted.

bigbarada
07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Transformers 3 - too many human characters who serve no purpose other than to display Michael Bay's bizarre, over-the-top, and completely unfunny sense of humor. There was no reason whatsoever for Sam's parents to make an appearance in this film, their role served no purpose whatsoever. The special effects were good, but the robot fights just went on too long and there were so many of them they actually started to get a little boring. Even though, technically, they were the best special effects I've seen in a motion picture yet and they aren't going to be topped anytime soon, there was still so much go on onscreen at all times that your mind just starts to disconnect from the film and you find yourself just wanting it to be over with, because you can't emotionally connect with any of the characters anymore. Probably the best of the three so far, but that's not really saying much.

JimJamBonds
07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Public Enemies. Depp, Bale, long in the tooth and a bunch of it was filmed in Wisconsin. Ohh and a big "Meh."

Darth Metalmute
07-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Transformers 3 Long but enjoyable, as long as you don't fixate on the fact that it really has nothing to do with the first two.

sith_killer_99
07-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I just finished watching "Sucker Punch".

Awesome flick!

JimJamBonds
07-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Role Models ~ it was on FX so they let more of it "go" but it was still the tamed down version.

OC47150
07-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Frankenstein 1970. The great Karloff is the last Frankenstein in this one. Not the greatest but still enjoyable.

Frankenstein Created Woman. It's Peter Cushing's turn to play a Frankenstein in this Hammer production.

Black Christmas. A killer is going after college girls in this early 70s horror flick from Bob Clark (Porky's, Christmas Story). Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder are two of the co-eds, as well as a shaggy-haired Keir Dullea.

sith_killer_99
07-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I have been watching "How The States Got Their Shapes". A very interesting and unique history of the United States.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I have been watching "How The States Got Their Shapes". A very interesting and unique history of the United States.The guy I drop off my recycling items to just recommended this TV series to me, so I plan to check it out soon.

TeeEye7
07-07-2011, 04:33 PM
The guy I drop off my recycling items to just recommended this TV series to me, so I plan to check it out soon.

The series is based on the book of the same name by Mark Stein. Maybe worth adding to your reading list (*drool*), BCJ.

http://www.amazon.com/How-States-Got-Their-Shapes/dp/0061431389

It is a very good series as SK said. It was broadcast earlier on the History Channel but this current series appears to have been either upgraded or expanded. Great stuff for history buffs!

sith_killer_99
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes, it is an excellent series. One of the more interesting facts was how the National Highways were created.

Eisenhower was so impressed with the highway system in Germany during the war that when he became President he designed the current major highway system currently in use along with numbering system. Honestly, until now I thought most of it developed somewhat randomly, but it was actually a carefully designed system. Thanks Ike!

I will probably buy the series when it comes out, to go along with my blu-ray copy of "America The Story of Us".

JimJamBonds
07-07-2011, 08:19 PM
I have been watching "How The States Got Their Shapes". A very interesting and unique history of the United States.Its pretty good but some of the 'history' they tell is a little sketchy.

"America The Story of Us". That was a pretty good series as well.

sith_killer_99
07-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Its pretty good but some of the 'history' they tell is a little sketchy.

Well, you have to take it with a grain of salt, obviously. ;)

bigbarada
07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I watched the new Tron the other day. It was alright, kind of slow. It seemed like it was making a lot of references to the original film, but I can't be sure, since I haven't watched that movie in over 20 years.

Also saw The Legend of the Guardians and the CG was fantastic and the story seemed pretty well done. In fact everything about the movie was almost perfectly executed, however, I just didn't feel any sort of emotional attachment to the characters at all. It seems like one of those movies that should have done really well, but just fell flat for some intangible reason.

sith_killer_99
07-09-2011, 10:17 PM
I just watched "The Ugly Truth" then followed up with "Blade II".

Katherine Heigl is way hot!

TeeEye7
07-10-2011, 05:50 PM
"The Social Network"

I liked the way it was edited between the events and the hearings.

sith_killer_99
07-10-2011, 06:22 PM
"The Social Network"

I liked the way it was edited between the events and the hearings.

Yeah, I just watched this on HBO late last night. Well done movie!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Awakenings (1990) - Penny Marshall directs this drama starring Robin Williams as Oliver Sacks, a research scientist who is given a job that he doesn't really know how to handle' handling human beings (his highlight up until the assignment had been his groundbreaking work on earthworms).

Williams is in charge of the floor of the mental institution where enychepalitis patients from the great "Sleeping Sickness" of the 1920s are housed. These patients are vegetables. Confined to wheelchairs, are pushed around the floors all day and the most excitement they'll see are when some of them are placed in front of the window to stare outside all day.

Williams attempts to reach these patients, believing different from the company line, which states that the disease has not spared any part of them, including their mental faculties. Much to the anger of the higher-ups, Williams connects to these patients, slowly, before a miraculous breakthrough "awakens" these beings.

Sadly though, they cannot stay awake from their slumber for long, and the movie chronicles the short window of time these patients had of clarity back in the summer of 1969.

It tugs on your heart knowing that this is based on reality and that these people did exist. Robert De Niro gives an admirable performance as one of the patients and Julie Kavner (Marge Simpson) does her best role as a floor nurse who befriends the lonely Dr. Sacks.

sith_killer_99
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

I have also been watching True Blood and Burn Notice.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I watched a movie that took the idea of Luke going into the "Dark side cave" in ESB, except it revolved around ballet and starred NatPo. The movie: Black Swan, yeah I know I'm making it a bit more basic then it really is but that is kinda what I took out of it.

JimJamBonds
07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
The Social Network, pretty much everybody comes off as a d bag.

JimJamBonds
07-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Grown Ups, had some decent parts, some not so decent parts. Another wards it was pretty much what I expected.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
According to my movie ticket stub, the film I saw today was Horrible. A friend invited me to see Horrible Bosses with him, and I was hesitant to go. I laughed much more than I expected, but it is in that category of raunchy and "blue" movies I usually don't like at all. The main actors don't steal the show as much as the supporting ones.

OC47150
07-21-2011, 07:50 PM
According to my movie ticket stub, the film I saw today was Horrible. A friend invited me to see Horrible Bosses with him, and I was hesitant to go. I laughed much more than I expected, but it is in that category of raunchy and "blue" movies I usually don't like at all. The main actors don't steal the show as much as the supporting ones.

I saw this one, too, the other day and haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Definitely raunchy, but funny.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Another of my can't-change-the-channel cable movies: Cool Hand Luke. Existentialism and symbolism abound in it.

TeeEye7
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Happened upon Saving Private Ryan while channel surfing last night. Had not seen it in many moon. Still hate Upham's character, love Doc Wade's character, especially in the scene when he "spanks" with others in the squad for going through the dog tags while the 101st is walking by. Love the compassion and humanity.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Cowboys and Aliens, not only has the most bizarre opening 5 minutes I've ever seen in a movie in the theater, but the film, while a fun couple of hours, was quite confusing. It could be Mystery Science Theater 3000 level. But again, I did like it.

JimJamBonds
08-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Another of my can't-change-the-channel cable movies: Cool Hand Luke. Existentialism and symbolism abound in it.What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Reminds me of a joke... after the Jedi-in-training got his prosthetic hand replaced, what did others say about it when they saw it?
"Cool hand, Luke."

:(
"Wha-at, we've got here, is... failure, t' entertain." ;)

JimJamBonds
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I finally saw Avatar, I thought it was ok, who didn't see what was going to happen coming? Granted had I seen it in the theaters or if I had a rockin' home system to watch it on I'm sure I would have enjoyed the sights on Pandora better. But overall... eh!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2011, 10:38 AM
First time I'd seen Watchmen on cable. I'd forgotten how great the film is, even with edited-for-TV scenes and dialogue and commercial breaks. Dr. Man was digitally blurred for much of his seens (uh, I mean scenes).

JimJamBonds
08-21-2011, 01:58 PM
First time I'd seen Watchmen on cable. I'd forgotten how great the film is, even with edited-for-TV scenes and dialogue and commercial breaks. Dr. Man was digitally blurred for much of his seens (uh, I mean scenes).Sorry but I thought that movie was brutal. If you want a free burnt dvd of it I'll be happy to send it to you...presuming I can find it.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2011, 10:05 PM
I realized that I had never seen Batman Returns again, except the one time I did in the theaters. That was a weird film, especially the ending, even for Burton.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
With the lockout still wasting most people's time, the NBA Network has been running basketball movies, and The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh has been on. I remember laughing at it when I first saw it about 15 or so years ago (it's listed under "Comedy" rather than "Sports" anyway), but now it's just odd. I love how the other teams are only referred to by their city (e.g. Los Angeles, Detroit, New York... ) and not even a made-up team name, because there wasn't an NBA licensing for the film.

JimJamBonds
08-28-2011, 11:06 PM
With the lockout still wasting most people's time, the NBA Network has been running basketball movies, and The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh has been on. I remember laughing at it when I first saw it about 15 or so years ago (it's listed under "Comedy" rather than "Sports" anyway), but now it's just odd. I love how the other teams are only referred to by their city (e.g. Los Angeles, Detroit, New York... ) and not even a made-up team name, because there wasn't an NBA licensing for the film.I've seen it in the tv guide thingy, I didn't watch figuring it must be pretty bad. Maybe I'll check it out next time I see its on.

As for myself... Billy Madison.

OC47150
09-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Corruption. Peter Cushing is a doc in 1970s London who steals a gland from women to help rebuild the skin tissue on his disfigured girlfriend. It's nice to see old Cushing in a contemporary piece.

Wicked, Wicked. A standard murder mystery set in the Coronado Hotel in California. But what set it apart was the fact the flick was filmed in Duo-Vision: split screen! It wasn't too bad and actually made it pretty enjoyable to watch.

The Petrified Forest. Anytime I can watch Bogie as a gangster, I do. This was one of his better outings as Duke Mantee.

OC47150
09-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Quarantine: Terminal. DTV sequel to the film from a few years ago. It picks up on the same night as the first one but involves an airplane. It wasn't too bad.

Drive. Wow, what a flick! It wasn't what I or my friend expected. It had an 80s feel to it.

TeeEye7
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Last night: Les Miserables with Qui-Gon Jinn and Casanova Frankenstein.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
The other night, with all the stations running Halloween-themed films, I saw the end of The Curse of Frankenstein, with Grand Moff Tarkin chaining up Count Dooku, from 1957. Creepy score music.

sith_killer_99
10-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Red
Smokey and the Bandit
True Grit (remake)
Terminator
Scre4m

TeeEye7
10-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Salt

Kinda like the Bourne Identity with estrogen.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I finally watched Plunkett & Macleane all the way through. Surprisingly, it was pretty good. The titular "Gentlemen Highwaymen" robbers sneak their way through 18th century England.

JimJamBonds
10-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I started watching The Expendables but I gave up after about 20 minutes, it was that bad....imho.

TeeEye7
11-13-2011, 01:23 PM
633 Squadron

...on the Military Channel's "An Officer and A Movie" feature with Lou Diamond Phillips. Lou even mentioned that it was rumored that the climatic ending of the movie was said to have influence G.Lu in the attack on the Death Star scene.

sith_killer_99
11-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I just finished the Harry Potter movies something something Part 2.

I was pretty good.

bigbarada
11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Watched Green Street Hooligans for the second time last week. Every bit as good as it was the first time around. I thought American sports fans were obessive, I had no idea that British Football (Soccer) fans were anything like that over across the pond. This is one I will probably buy at some point.

Also watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Pretty impressed with the movie and plan to check out the other two here soon.

JimJamBonds
12-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Thor: I thought it was ok, nothing special really (sorry NatPo)

Captain America: Better then Thor....I'd say it was decent but not great.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I finally saw (most of) Ratatouille. Not bad, but I can see why it doesn't get "top Pixar movie" rankings (not as kiddie, IMO).

sith_killer_99
12-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I watched Super 8 and The Change Up.

Super 8 was pretty good. The Change Up was funny but as with any of these type of movies it was a bit predictable.

bigbarada
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Had some time off of work so I've been catching up on my movies. Watched Conan: The Barbarian, 30 Minutes or Less, Smurfs and Another Earth last week.

The new Conan was pretty good. It seemed like it was trying too hard to be bloody when it wasn't really necessary for the story. If fact, most of the time the blood splatters were so unrealistically exaggerated that they made the movie seem like a parody of itself. The story felt overdeveloped in some areas. Almost like the writers just assumed that everyone watching the movie would be well-versed in the Conan mythology.

30 Minutes or Less was okay. Funny in parts, but also unnecessarily vulgar in ways that didn't enhance the story, but just seemed to be arbitrarily placed into the film for shock value. It didn't feel like any of the actors in the film were really interested in their roles at all.

Smurfs was actually funnier than I expected it to be. The premise of the movie was going to be ridiculous no matter how it was written, so it was good to see that the film just accepted that fact and ran with it. I think Neil Patrick Harris was miscast in his role, but otherwise it's a fun little family film.

Another Earth is probably one of the better films I've seen in a long, long time. I would highly recommend it for anyone who prefers thought-provoking, character-driven sci-fi over the bloated, computer-generated blockbusters that we usually get. It's also a visually beautiful film. The special-effects are minimalist, but very effective for telling the story.

sith_killer_99
12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I watched Friends With Benefits. Not bad for a romantic comedy.

I also watched a couple of the Star Wars documentaries from my Blu-ray set.

Star Warriors: Makes me want to buy my own Stormtrooper armor and join the 501st.

The Making of Star Wars: Always fun to go back and watch old interviews with cast/crew I laughed when Mark talked about Leia, not wanting her to end up with Han. lol

bigbarada
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I watched Super 8 and The Change Up.

Super 8 was pretty good. The Change Up was funny but as with any of these type of movies it was a bit predictable.

I though Super 8 was really good. Kind of like J.J. Abrams' take on ET (if ET was a giant who ate people).

Change Up looks really predictable to me, so I don't really have much interest in seeing it.

Cowboys vs. Aliens comes out on DVD tonight, so I'm looking to rent that one here in the next couple of days. I actually want to see The Help as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
I may have seen, straight through, Life of Brian for the first time, after snippits here-and-there in the past. Not quite Holy Grail funny, but the satire and social commentary were much stronger.

JimJamBonds
12-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I finally got around to seeing the new(st) Star Trek movie last night...I thought it was ok, but I wasn't blown away by it.

JimJamBonds
12-24-2011, 10:44 PM
The Wrestler, I thought it was good, kinda sad since it was based on guys I watched growning up as a kid.

sith_killer_99
12-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Just watched "The Hangover Part II"! :yes:

Every bit as good as the first!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2011, 09:54 AM
The sequel film, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. It was very good, especially the pre-fight flash forwards and a new POV while running (in the escape scene through the forest). A little hard to follow the fast paced Holmes/Watson dialogue at times, but that's the point. I want that soundtrack, not excuses, captain. :thumbsup: And the woman two rows behind us gave a wonderfully simple running commentary (such as: "ooh, look!" or "oh no!" or "yeah, that's the..." ).

bigbarada
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Recently watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil and I thought it was pretty good. Not Zombieland good, but I still predict it becoming something of a cult classic (there were no zombies in the movie by the way - just using that as an example of one of the best horror-comedy films I've ever seen). I liked how they played against stereotypes for the male lead character.

Also watched the animated version of Planet Hulk. The storyline was seriously condensed, but it stayed pretty true to the comic. I don't really understand why Silver Surfer was replaced with Beta Ray Bill, though.

Snowtrooper
12-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Took the family to see War Horse last night. We all enjoyed it thoroughly. It was 2 1/2 hours, but it never really seemed like it was that long. It was predictable, but you felt enough of an attachment to the horse that you wanted those things to happen. It had its pretty sad moments. Alot of bad things happening to some of the horses, but it was a reality in WWI. There were millions of horses killed during that war. They didn't get very graphic with the war scenes, but for what is basically a kids movie, thats just fine. I recommend it, especially if you or your kids are into horses at all.

JimJamBonds
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Billy Madison, an oldie but a goodie imho.

Tycho
12-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Speaking of horses, I am watching my John Wayne westerns.

Currently I'm halfway through Cahill: U.S. Marshal.

I really liked The Horse Soldiers and The Undefeated. Those are the best so far. (Civil War movies there)

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is fun, but not nearly as worthy as the other two I mentioned.

I'm not sure how Cahill is going to pan out. I don't like the marshal's sons. I know you're not supposed to (and the actors they chose are fine) - it's just that I don't care about them really and if they get shot dead - so what?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Hugo. Really, really good. (you know it has to be, when it gets multiple "really" rankings :rolleyes: ). True enough to the book (even down to the scenes without dialogue, matching the pages of just drawings in the book), but just different enough to make it perhaps even better. It will likely cause a tear or two to be shed. Watch for the cameos, too.

El Chuxter
12-30-2011, 12:31 AM
The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn. Bloody amazing film. Herge would be proud of what Spielberg accomplished. Nice to see a family-oriented action/adventure movie in 2011 that has blood, guns, and excessive drinking (though not too much, and nary a bad word to be heard). Watch it; you will not be disappointed. Unless you have no soul and eat puppies.

OC47150
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
The Man from Planet X (1951). One of those interesting old sci-fi movies.

War of the Planets (1965). Another one of those cheap Italian sci-fi movies. I swear the set and costumes were used in a similar movie I saw a few months ago.

Daleks..Invasion 2150 (1966). I didn't know Peter Cushing played Dr. Who until this movie! Apparently, Mr. Tarkin played Dr. Who twice; there's a Dr. Who movie from 1965.

sith_killer_99
01-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Final Destination 5

I enjoyed the surprise twist at the end!

Apollo 18

Not bad, worth watching.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Final Destination 5

I enjoyed the surprise twist at the end!

Apollo 18

Not bad, worth watching.Yeah, reaching that destination at the final part of the film, FIVE DIFFERENT TIMES! :p

Was the other movie 38.46% better than Apollo 13? :math: :zzz:

I haven't seen any movies since last year... :sad:

Tycho
01-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Could you SPOIL Apollo 18 for me?

As long as it's OK for everyone else here, what the heck is it about? What happens?

sith_killer_99
01-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Was the other movie 38.46% better than Apollo 13? :math: :zzz:

Not "better" but it was 42.98% more exciting!

Could you SPOIL Apollo 18 for me?

As long as it's OK for everyone else here, what the heck is it about? What happens?

*******************SPOILER ALERT**********************************

The basic premise of the film is that the Apollo program continued after it was publicly cancelled. Allegedly someone "found" archive video footage of the true final mission to the moon "Apollo 18"!

The movie is done in the style of the archived footage. Two astronauts land on the moon (one is orbiting). The two guys who land find a Soviet lunar lander and the cosmonaut is found dead.

In the end it turns out the rocks on the moon are actually alive and they really spider like creatures with their legs folded up to make them look like rocks. The decision is made NOT to extract the astronauts due to "contamination". The final closing of the film states that several samples were taken in prior missions to the moon and given to dignitaries, many of the samples were "stolen".

In a nutshell.

The Soviet lunar lander was a cool twist.

JimJamBonds
01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I haven't seen any movies since last year... :sad:
So 48ish hours?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2012, 12:20 PM
That would be an AWESOME retcon movie! Nolte and Murphy as the aging veteran administrators, with Jeff Bridges and Dave Chapelle as the main characters: 48ish Hours, coming to a DVD Wal*Mart bin near you! ;)

bigbarada
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Rented a couple of new releases tonight:

Apollo 18 was kind of... eh. Yet another "found footage" movie where you never get to see what's going on, have to endure long segments of solid blackscreen, or get to sit through extended moments of mundane-ness. In the end, we don't really get a good look at the moon crabs and nothing is really explained or resolved.

Contagion was pretty good, but you never really get a sense of the magnitude of the epidemic. Supposedly millions of people are dying from it, but most of that happens off screen, so there isn't any real tension or drama. It all feels very cold and clinical. At least it does show the origin of the virus at the very end.

OC47150
01-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I want to see Apollo 18. I was hoping it would make it to the second-run theatre, but it never did. The Thing never did either. I know Apollo 18 is at the RedBox now.

Christmas Evil and New Year's Evil. Two slashers from '80. What a way to celebrate the holidays.

Charge of the Light Brigade (1968) depicted the ill-fated calvary charge in the Crimea in the mid-1800s. It wasn't a bad movie, but too much time was spend on the build-up.

sith_killer_99
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I just watched the Broncos beat the Steelers in one of the shortest OT wins in NFL playoff history!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I just watched the Broncos beat the Steelers in one of the shortest OT wins in NFL playoff history!I :cry: heard :cry: that was a :cry: terrible :cry: one. :cry:

El Chuxter
01-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The best Planet of the Apes movie in over 40 years. A worthy (maybe even superior? tough to really say since movies are so different now) prequel to the original, which invalidates and yet pays homage to the original sequels. (I still wouldn't call it a reboot, because trying to come up with the true history of the apes based on the original movies and shows will make your head explode, so contradictions are nothing new.)

Between this, Tintin, and Lord of the Rings, Serkis is definitely one of my favorite actors.

sith_killer_99
01-09-2012, 03:18 AM
I :cry: heard :cry: that was a :cry: terrible :cry: one. :cry:

It was the fastest OT win in NFL history! The only thing terrible about it was Denver losing their lead in the second half and the Steelers forcing the game into OT.

JEDIpartner
01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I Am
Tree of Life
The Seventh Seal (Criterion BD remaster)
Last Year at Marienbad (Criterion BD remaster)
The Best Worst Movie Ever

JimJamBonds
01-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm currently working my way though The Wire: Season I. Its pretty good but not as good as say Deadwood or Rome.

JimJamBonds
01-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Inglorious Basterds, well if you remember its a silly made up story chocked full of historical erros its not too bad.

Tycho
01-24-2012, 04:46 AM
I saw J. Edgar.

Did you know the man who started the FBI was a gay man who lived with his mom his entire life?

I didn't know that.

Then he got a gay lover and made him the Deputy Director of the FBI.

Now I want to see War Horse and Red Tails but haven't made it to the theaters yet.

OC47150
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
The Island of Lost Souls. The original island of Dr. Moreau with Charles Laughton in the title role, and Bela Legosi, in a supporting role, as one of Moreau's creatures. I'd read some good stuff about this movie, and am glad I've finally seen it.

The Black Cat, again with Legosi and the always great Karloff.

El Chuxter
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Inglorious Basterds, well if you remember its a silly made up story chocked full of historical erros its not too bad.
You mean Hitler didn't die in a movie theater?

In all seriousness, the gratification of seeing him gunned down would've made the movie great even if it stunk otherwise (which it certainly did not). Fiction or not, watching Hitler die a violent death never gets old.

OC47150
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
House of Frankstein with the great Karloff and Lon Chaney, Jr.

Badlanders, a 1958 western starring Alan Ladd and Ernest Borgnine. Hadn't seen it before. Very good.

The Muppets! The wife and I saw this tonight at the second-run theatre. Very enjoyable.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Namath, a documentary about a quarterback guy. He played for the Rams, and I guess could've been drafted by St. Louis or someplace.

OC47150
02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
My yearly Super Bowl weekend tradition continued this year with a viewing of Black Sunday and Two-Minute Warning.

Also watched, in recent days, Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man and A & C Meet the Mummy. Haven't seen those in years and found them very funny.

Soylent Green. Classic 70s sci-fi with Heston.

TeeEye7
02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Last night, Seabiscuit.
Even though the outcome is known, the story is told well with a good cast IMO.

Tycho
02-07-2012, 10:34 PM
The Natural with Robert Redford, Wilfred Brimley, Glenn Close, Robert Duvall.

This is a wonderful baseball movie - actually inspired by true events. There were 2 psyhotic women who shot baseball players in real sports history.

The movie's about Roy Hobb's return to glory, not why he was shot. The shooting was pointless. But it really did happen to non-fictional baseball players.

This was a great movie. I love it when baseball movies are about baseball. But this one had even more to it.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2012, 12:05 AM
If you want to continue loving the movie, Tycho, DO NOT read the novel. Every time I hear a baseball player say this is his favorite BB book, I know for a fact he has not even read it. I put it in my top (bottom?) 15-or-so books I've ever read.

nohagent
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
This morning I was watching an Episode of Disney's Swamp Fox, (1959-1960). I sincerely believe George Lucas watched this as well. In this episode called "Redcoats" there was a character named "Anakin" and phrases that were used in the dialogue included "Rebel Scum" and "Scoundrel" more than once. For so many things to hit in one episode of a tv show episode from 1959-1960.......just seems so obvious

OC47150
02-25-2012, 12:33 PM
The Car (1977). A friend recommended this movie to me. It's about a possessed car that's terrorizing a small Utah town. James Brolin is a cop who tries to stop it. It's very enjoyable for a B-horror flick. The only issue I had was, the car reminded me of the Green Hornet's car, Black Beauty!

Logan's Run (1976). Just one of those movies you have to watch every once in a while.

JimJamBonds
02-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I finished The Wire Season IV last night, very good. Not as good as say Deadwood or Rome but still very very good.

OC47150
02-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Cherry 2000. An interesting sci-fi flick from the late 80s with Melanie Griffith as a tracker. Had never seen it before until yesterday.

The Invisible Woman (1941). More tongue-in-cheek than serious than the other Invisible movies.

The Man with the Golden Gun (1974). One of the local theatres had a midnight showing this past Saturday night. The last time I saw a Roger Moore Bond movie on the big screen was his last one in the 80s. Can't remember the last time I watched TMWTGG uninterrupted. Although it's not my favorite Bond, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The same theatre is having a midnight showing of Carrie in mid-May. Might have to go to that one.

DarthQuack
02-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Been going through Battlestar Galactica (2004). Really enjoying this show. Have nothing bad to say about it yet! ;)

TeeEye7
03-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Just finished Secretariat. Not as good as Seabiscuit.

Tycho
03-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I watched Dr. Shivago about the times during WW1 and the Russian Revolution. Very interesting movie!

jedibear
03-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Just got back from seeing "John Carter"

I went in with very low expectations...especially after all the bad buzz and terrible reviews it's been getting, but...

...I ended up really liking it a lot. It's a good, solid movie. Great production (this is one of those movies where you can see all of the money on the screen), well-rendered effects (not just the character work and environments, but the great combination of locations with the digital work- besides it's ALWAYS awesome to see Lake Powell standing in for an otherworldy location :)), solid and enthusiastic performances(the lead had to work hard to convince me in this part but by the end of it he had), good score, decently paced (never looked at the time during it's run) and...no spoiler to say that while it's left open for further adventures, it also works as a stand-alone movie.

Now, I saw it in 2D (my preference) and I thought it looked and sounded great. Sadly though, there were only about ten other people in the theater. I hope good word-of-mouth helps this movie. It's another example for me how I end up really enjoying something that most mainstream critics just used to sharpen their claws on.

If this movie bombs, the folks at Disney should dump their clueless publicity department (the promos for this have been bloody awful)...everyone involved in actually making this movie was obviously into creating something special and it shows...

Great film....I'll see it on the big screen again!

OC47150
03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Ride the High Country (1962) A tame western (when compared to the Wild Bunch or Major Dundee) from Sam Peckinpah, starring Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea as two old gunfighters escorting a load of gold to the bank.

The Ghost of Frankenstein. Lon Chaney's the monster this time, and Legosi's still Igor.

Empire Strike Back...on Blu Ray! Boy, that was good. Noticed subtle background additions on this fine print. Now to find time to watch Jedi.

El Chuxter
03-23-2012, 02:41 AM
If this movie bombs, the folks at Disney should dump their clueless publicity department (the promos for this have been bloody awful)...everyone involved in actually making this movie was obviously into creating something special and it shows...
Just saw it myself, and couldn't agree more. The director did Finding Nemo and Wall-E. It's by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Michael Chabon co-wrote the script. Why are these not mentioned in the ads? The first promo could've been just the words, "By the director of Finding Nemo and Wall-E, and novelist Michael Chabon (co-writer of the Spider-Man movie that didn't suck and wasn't just lifted word-for-word from 50-year-old comic books) comes an epic based upon the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs, creator of Tarzan. We don't even need to say another word because you're probably ordering your tickets already."

OC47150
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Just saw it myself, and couldn't agree more. The director did Finding Nemo and Wall-E. It's by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Michael Chabon co-wrote the script. Why are these not mentioned in the ads? The first promo could've been just the words, "By the director of Finding Nemo and Wall-E, and novelist Michael Chabon (co-writer of the Spider-Man movie that didn't suck and wasn't just lifted word-for-word from 50-year-old comic books) comes an epic based upon the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs, creator of Tarzan. We don't even need to say another word because you're probably ordering your tickets already."

I don't think Disney knew how to market this movie, and that was a major issue. Is it action adventure, sci-fi, fantasy? Some fan re-edited the trailer and it made more sense than the official trailer. I haven't seen it yet; if it makes it to the second-run theatres, I'll try.

Casablanca (1942). On the big screen! TCM had one of those special viewings for the 70th anniversary (and Blu Ray release) in my area, and the wife and I went. It was great! Had never seen Bogart on the big screen before. It was a little pricey ($12.50 a person) but definitely worth it.

Return of the Jedi. On Blu Ray. Uncle George tinkered with ROTJ more than Empire for the Blu Ray release. A Dug was added to Jabba's palace, and Vader's nooooooooooo at the end. The Death Star 2 attack was great.

Revenge of the Sith. On Blu Ray. Wow, the opening space battle just blew me away! Lot of detail. Don't know if it's me or what, but it appeared that during the Palpatine rescue scene, the battle action in the background was enhanced. Also thought I noticed some new female looking droids during the post battle scene (dropping off Palpy) and the opera house. I'll have to pop in the DVD version to check.

Can't wait to watch Attack of the Clones on Blu Ray!!

Lord Malakite
03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Time for something a little less classy than Casablanca.

I just watched The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence. :D