PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18

OC47150
03-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I just watched The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence. :D

Human Centipede 1 and 2 intrigue me. How was it?

Lord Malakite
03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Human Centipede 1 and 2 intrigue me. How was it?
Lets just say Tom Six is one sick, sick SOB. :D The first one had its messed up gross moments, but it made for an alright horror experience considering its actually possible (doctor confirmed 100% medically accurate) to create a real human centipede exactly as the movie did provided someone had the medical background and no morals to do so. The second one has a rather unique premise to tie it to the first film, but it gets into some real raunchy territory though. I wouldn't suggest watching it with the wife, family or friends because all that will do is bring your sanity in question for watching such a movie. It makes adult S&M films look like Disney films in comparison.

A third one is currently on the way. Tom Six has already gone on record as saying it'll make the second film look tame by comparison.

OC47150
03-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Lets just say Tom Six is one sick, sick SOB. :D The first one had its messed up gross moments, but it made for an alright horror experience considering its actually possible (doctor confirmed 100% medically accurate) to create a real human centipede exactly as the movie did provided someone had the medical background and no morals to do so. The second one has a rather unique premise to tie it to the first film, but it gets into some real raunchy territory though. I wouldn't suggest watching it with the wife, family or friends because all that will do is bring your sanity in question for watching such a movie. It makes adult S&M films look like Disney films in comparison.

A third one is currently on the way. Tom Six has already gone on record as saying it'll make the second film look tame by comparison.

I saw copies for sale of #1 at Target (!!) some months back, and used copies for under $20. But I wasn't willing to pay it.

The Great Behemoth (1959). Classic giant monster movie from England.

Lord Malakite
03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I saw copies for sale of #1 at Target (!!) some months back, and used copies for under $20. But I wasn't willing to pay it.
I'd say rent them from some place before you commit to buying either of these movies. Its not everyone's cup of tea. Personally I found the first one wasn't too horrible. Its "gross moments" wasn't much worse than what was in Cannibal Holocaust. Second one though... some real bad, bad things go down in it.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Yesterday, I was flipping on and off of Green Hornet. Now I know why people were saying... :eek: :sad:

OC47150
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Gorgo. A British monster movie. It wasn't bad.

Heavy Metal (1981). Boy, that's an odd one. I remember one theatre in the area used to have regular midnight showings of this one.

Lifeforce (1985). Tobe Hooper's space vampires movie. Not bad. Interesting to see Peter Firth with hair; he's Harry on the BBC's Spooks/MI-5.

Secret Mission (1942). Old B&W war/spy dramas made during the war.

bigbarada
04-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Saw War Horse the other day and it was actually really good. You know going in that it's a movie that's going to try to pull at your heartstrings and it starts tugging at them right from the start; but by the end of the movie I didn't care that I was being manipulated, because I was too caught up in the horse's story.

OC47150
04-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Invisible Invaders and Attack of the Puppet People. Two B&W offerings starring the great John Agar.

OC47150
04-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Saw Human Centipede 1 for sale on Blu Ray at Target over the weekend.

Wild, Wild Planet. A spaghetti space movie. The Italians liked to reuse movie props, cause I was sure I saw the same spaceships in a previous movie.

Tower of London. Roger Corman's take on Richard III, with Vincent Price in the title role.

The Masque of the Red Death. Again, Corman's take on Edgar Allen Poe, with Price as the lead.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Temple of Doom was on this weekend. I remember why I liked it so much as a kid; just flat-out action. But the bugs still freak me out.

JimJamBonds
04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Alone In The Wilderness, an AWESOME documentry of a guy who went up to Alaska to live in the bush.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Was there a cameraman who filmed this "alone" man? :nitpicker: :p I always feel so inept watching survival docs. :(

TeeEye7
04-29-2012, 03:16 PM
The Duke in 1963's McClintock!

For years and years I would only see the end of this flick. This time I saw all BUT the end since I've seen that part several dozen times now, so I skipped it. Typical Duke offering (with his usual stable of actors) and very enjoyable. Seemed to be a western recycling of The Quiet Man (again with Marueen O'Hara), my favorite John Wayne flick. I guess that's why I liked it!

sith_killer_99
04-29-2012, 05:58 PM
The Iron Lady with Meryl Streep.

Good film, not what I expected.

JimJamBonds
04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Was there a cameraman who filmed this "alone" man? :nitpicker: :p I always feel so inept watching survival docs. :(
Yes and no. They showed still pics and film that Dick himself took but he was also visited a couple of times and was interviewed so there is some of 'their' footage as well but its 90%+ his own.

JimJamBonds
05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
The A Team and Carnival Season I.

Slicker
05-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I watched The Empire Strikes Back for the umpteenth million time. I've come to realize that, over time, not even the Dagobah parts drag on for me. Maybe it's a Star Wars (or just in general) maturity but I don't mind them one bit. There is literally no part of that movie that I don't like.

Fight Club. It's right up there with Inglorious Bastards as one of Brad Pitts best.

OC47150
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Rollerball. Jon-a-than! Jon-a-than! This is one of those movies I have to see every few years.

Lawrence of Arabia. Again, another one of those movies I need to see every few years. But, boy, it's long!

Beast from Haunted Cave (1959). A low-budget movie with unrecognizable stars that was filmed in the Dakotas. The monster looked like a crab.

Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia. Ah, the BBC's excellent update on Sherlock Holmes returns on Masterpiece Mystery. Thoroughly enjoy this series. The actor who plays Sherlock is the villian in the new Star Trek 2 movie, and Watson is Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit.

Tycho
05-14-2012, 04:26 AM
I love enemy at the gates. It's russian vs german snipers during world war 2.

Jim jam bonds how did you like the a team?

OC47150
05-14-2012, 06:32 AM
The Avengers. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was a tad slow in the middle, but when the Hulk showed up, it picked up.

Revenge of the Creature. The first sequel to Creature from the Black Lagoon. And John Agar's in it.

sith_killer_99
05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
The Avengers - AWESOME!

Underworld: Awakening - Not the best, not the worst, in the series. I rather enjoyed it more than Evolution. Of course they left it open for another film.

bigbarada
05-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Rented:

Hugo - Kind of slow, but enjoyable. Although I'm not really sure who the intended audience for the movie was. You would think with a kid as the protagonist, it would be a kid's movie, but I can't see your average kid caring enough about old, silent movies for this to really hold their attention. I kind of thought that they dragged the whole mystery of the story out too much and I found myself getting a little impatient for it to wrap up. Plus, the fantasy is so heavily interwoven with the history, it's hard to care about the outcome of the movie without knowing for sure if the ending was in any way factual. In other words, if they actually did discover all of the stuff that they claim at the end of the movie, then that's awesome. If not, then the entire movie feels like a giant waste of time.

The Adventures of Tin Tin - I liked it, but some of the chase sequences were so over the top that they completely pulled me out of the movie and they actually became a little tiresome as well. Just more examples of filmmakers adding mindless action to a movie because they can, without any concern for whether it advances the story or just takes up time. For the most part, though, it was a very well-written story and a lot smarter than your average animated film. Not a movie I would buy, but I might watch it one more time before I have to return the movie to the video store.

Bought:

Rango - I love this movie and I'm glad I waited until I owned a Blu-Ray player to finally buy it. Probably my favorite animated film of the last several years. Excellent story that's not just a lot of silliness, even though there is a lot of silliness and some real laugh out loud moments. Also, ILM really outdid themselves with the CG in this movie and I wish the alien creatures from the Prequels looked half as good. For anyone else who watched it, did you get a distinct "Mos Eisley Cantina" vibe when Rango first walked into the saloon?

Terminator: Salvation - I remember renting this a while back and enjoying it, but it feels more like a low-budget, made-for-TV, sci-fi film now that i watch it again. I did watch the director's cut, so that might have screwed the pacing up a bit. I liked Sam Worthington's character a lot, but Christian Bale was terrible in this film, almost as bad in the role of John Conner as he is the role of Batman.

JimJamBonds
05-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Lemmy: 49% Mother******er, 51% Son of a B****

Tycho
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Jim Jam, you didn't talk about what you thought of The A-Team.

BigBarada, I had originally hated Terminator Salvation when I first saw it. I'm the opposite from you. I've liked it more on subsequent viewings now that I know the film is about Marcus as a Terminator. I liked Christian Bale as John Connor and hope he and Worthington make more films together - maybe with Blood Moongood, too as Blair Williams, too.

The Marcus character is a Terminator. He can survive without a real heart. They can make a machine heart for him - to keep his human mind and outer skin alive.

Anyway, I am watching WWII movies again:

Pearl Harbor - love this movie. Michael Bay's best, above and beyond Transformers stuff. Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett, and the sexy and stunning Kate Beckinsale.

Battle of Britain - good movie showing the air struggle against Hitler's Germany.

U-571 - my favorite submarine movie of them all! Mathew McConighey, Bill Paxton, Jon Bon Jovi. The singular best one over Red October and Crimson Tide even.

Shindler's List - incomparable to anything else.

Defiance - the best Jewish revenge against the Nazis movie starring Daniel Craig (James Bond) and Liev Schreiber (Sabertoothe) in a TRUE WWII story! Way better than Inglorious Basturds but that's a different kind of film.

Valkyrie - great Tom Cruise picture also based on a true story. Nicely and suspensely done.

Enemy At The Gates - Way awesome Russian Front movie with current film stars in a great sniper vs. sniper action film with crazy battle action showing how determined and willing Stalin was to ruthlessly sacrafice his own countrymen to stop the Germans. Stalin was horrible, but his victory prevented Hitler from succeeding, which would have been worse. "One gun for every 2 men. When the guy in front of you DIES, you can use his gun. Now please run forward at the German machine guns and rocket launchers or your officers will shoot you when you turn around. Die with honor for the Motherland!" Whoa! I truly learned to respect the Russians for their sacrafice.

Saving Private Ryan - of course. The best entrance for the Americans ever -D-Day World War II! "Omaha's Dog Beach is OPEN!" - Captain John Miller (Tom Hanks).

Next up: A Bridge Too Far, the Battle of the Bulge, and Patton!

OC47150
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I always watch the Battle of the Bulge on Dec. 17. Just one of my quirks.

TCM has some great WWII classics lined up for the Memorial Day weekend.

Queen of Outer Space.

Curse of the Swamp Creature.

Zontar, the thing from Venus.

TeeEye7
05-22-2012, 02:52 AM
TCM has some great WWII classics lined up for the Memorial Day weekend.

Queen of Outer Space.

Curse of the Swamp Creature.

Zontar, the thing from Venus.

Was Zontar with the SS? ;)

Sorry....I couldn't resist....!

OC47150
05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Was Zontar with the SS? ;)

Sorry....I couldn't resist....!

It might've been a better movie if he was.

JimJamBonds
05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Jim Jam, you didn't talk about what you thought of The A-Team.
I liked it, the whole business with the tank falling out of the air was rather silly but other then that I thought it was good. I'd see a sequel....or at least when it comes out on dvd. :devilish:

bigbarada
05-23-2012, 08:48 AM
BigBarada, I had originally hated Terminator Salvation when I first saw it. I'm the opposite from you. I've liked it more on subsequent viewings now that I know the film is about Marcus as a Terminator. I liked Christian Bale as John Connor and hope he and Worthington make more films together - maybe with Blood Moongood, too as Blair Williams, too.

I still liked the movie, but it just felt a bit smaller on my second viewing. Marcus Brody is probably the coolest character in the entire Terminator franchise as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, I rented a couple of other films:

Slumdog Millionaire - Amazing movie! I'm not sure if it is actually based on a true story, but even if it's not, it still gives an unflinching look into the realities of life in the slums of India. However, even though a lot of the subject matter is very dark, the film never feels hopeless. There's always a sense of optimism that things are going to get better.

SuckerPunch - ugh, what a piece of crap this movie ended up being. It was recommended by a few friends of mine and even the girl at the video store told me it was one of her favorite movies of all time and went on and on about how she owned the soundtrack and who sang all of the tracks. Anyways, so I started watching it with high expectations, and I can respect what Zack Snyder was trying to do here (and I did get what the concept of the film was supposed to be), I just don't think it worked... at all. Maybe on paper or in the idea stages this sounded like a great idea for a movie, but the final result just seemed to fall apart. Especially when the film tries to confuse you about who was actually the main heroine of the story. I guess this was supposed to be a "girl power" movie, but the message it sends is anything but. Basically what this movie tells young girls is that all men are evil and only interested in raping them and the only way for girls to fight back is through prostitution.

JimJamBonds
05-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Carnivale Season II. Pretty good, it had some strange moments although not as many as season I did. Considering the show was canned the end was rather disapointing...or I should say the lack of an end.

bigbarada
05-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Marcus Brody is probably the coolest character in the entire Terminator franchise as far as I'm concerned.

Ugh, Marcus Wright, not Marcus Brody. I just watched this movie again last night and I caught that. I actually need to get ahold of the original Terminator and watch that one followed directly by Salvation. It seems that they would fit together perfectly if you eliminate Terminator 2 and Terminator 3 from the equation.

Other movies I rented:

The Grey - eh, it was okay. The obviously-CG wolves really made it difficult to feel any sort of danger or tension at the survivors' plight. In fact, some of the attacks took on an unintentionally comical tone. I don't want to give anything away about the ending; however, even though the ending might be considered realistic, it just leaves you wondering "what was the point of all that, then?"

The Road - this one was recommended to me by a friend at work and it was pretty good. The performances were really good for the most part and there were a few truly nightmarish scenarios. Again, the ending left me with the nagging feeling of "what was the point?" So, two really depressing movies in a row did not make for a very fun movie night.

sith_killer_99
05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Last night I watched part 1 of "Hatfields & McCoys" with Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton. It's really good. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Missed the beginning 1/2 hour or so, but I saw most of Bridge on the River Kuai, with many other military-themed film pieces as I channel surfed on Memorial Day.

El Chuxter
05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Is the River Kuai near the River Kwai, or is it in Hawai'i? :D

Tycho
05-30-2012, 02:53 AM
I am recording the hatfields and mccoys and will watch all 06 hours beginning tomorrow when the show concludes. I took a peek and it looks awesome like the kind of civil war reenacting i do. I own those guns and uniforms myself since this is just like my book. Only at that my novel is fiction set during real historical events.

I am watching band of brothers in the meanwhile.

Slicker
05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
I as able to watch my first Detroit Tigers game. I was also in turn able to watch my first Detroit Tigers loss. *sigh*

bigbarada
05-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Now that I have a Blu-Ray player, I need to justify it's existence somehow, so I've been on a bit of a movie renting binge recently.

Chronicle - Actually not too bad, but I'm getting a little tired of the current "found footage" trend in movie storytelling. Mainly because so much screen time needs to be wasted explaining why one of the characters is videotaping everything. It barely worked in Blair Witch Project (which, if I recall, was the first movie of this kind) and I think Cloverfield was actually more hindered by this concept than helped. By the time I watched Super 8, I was already tired of the gimmick. Plus, it seems to give the filmmakers the idea the they don't need to explain major plot points and really appears to be more of an excuse for sloppy storytelling. I think the premise behind Chronicle was interesting enough that the constant reference to the camera by the characters in the film did more to take me out of the movie than anything else.

Watchmen: Director's Cut - Thought I'd watch it again in HD and see exactly what was added to the film. Pretty much exactly as I remember it. During the film, I keep thinking to myself, "This is cool, why haven't I bought this movie yet?" but by the end, I've just lost all interest and I don't feel that I ever need to watch it again. I think the most interesting part of this story is re-imagining it as it was originally written, with the core DC superheroes. Otherwise, there's not really much here to keep my interest beyond one viewing.

JimJamBonds
05-31-2012, 06:16 AM
GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, pretty good...I don't recall Snake Eyes having a gun... and "Captain" Duke was wearing the Oak Leaves of a Major at one point....but decent.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Is the River Kuai near the River Kwai, or is it in Hawai'i? :DKuai? Because ue like you! :M.O.W.S.E.:

bigbarada
05-31-2012, 10:18 AM
GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, pretty good...I don't recall Snake Eyes having a gun... and "Captain" Duke was wearing the Oak Leaves of a Major at one point....but decent.

The first two Snake-Eyes action figures carried a gun, and he used guns frequently in the cartoon.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah. My friends and I used to cut off the ammo clip below the handle of his Uzi accessory. Remember: Snake Eyes' designation was Commando, meaning he's a weaponS expert, not just of martial arts and blades.

sith_killer_99
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
I finished watching "Hatfield's & McCoy's" last night. Good mini-series. Good character development. It was really well done IMO.

El Chuxter
05-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Snake Eyes used a gun when he killed the Viet Cong assassins who shot the Baroness's brother (Baron Eugen deCobray), which is, I think, his earliest shown kill, chronologically speaking.

And to think, if not for a spoiled teenaged girl mistakenly thinking the American shot her brother, the history of terrorism in the 80s would've played out much, much differently. ;)

Tycho
06-01-2012, 02:21 AM
I loved the Hatfields and McCoys!!!

The DVD comes out July 31st, and I will buy it (and probably watch the extras).

But right now I have HaM recorded on my DVR and I plan to watch the whole thing a second time.

I loved how the Civil War Re-Enacting scenes came out and the gunbattle in the clearing. That's what I do at least 2 weekends every month (I fight on 19th century sailing ships or go to baseball games or play on my own team on other weekends). Directors use us in movies and television productions and I've also been in a rock music video (Dry The River, "New Ceremony" - official video on YouTube, not available for mobile viewing - so use your computer to look it up).

Anyway, I would have been on McCoy's side, I think. Both were wronged though - and both were guilty. Devil Anse Hatfield was not the bad guy. His uncontrollable relatives were, but his political power insulated him and thus made his reputation suspect.

McCoy was wronged and couldn't get justice, but his sons were wrong to try and settle things by letting the anymosity get a hold of them so much to make them capable of murder.

This was a great, great series!

JimJamBonds
06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
The first two Snake-Eyes action figures carried a gun, and he used guns frequently in the cartoon.I wasn't sure, its been a bit since I've seen the cartoons, but it seemed 'odd' to me.

El Chuxter
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Snake Eyes in the cartoon was a joke because the writers admitted they had no idea how to write a silent character who dresses in black, particularly if he can't kill people.

You can easily tell if someone grew up reading the Joe comic or watching the Joe cartoon by asking them whether they prefer Duke or Snake Eyes. Duke rarely appeared in the comic, because the writer thought he was redundant (Hawk was in the comic from the beginning, which pre-dated the cartoon by about a year) and didn't much care for him.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2012, 04:22 PM
I had a couple of the comic's but I loved the cartoon's.

Tycho
06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Bill Clinton announced the western, "High Noon," is his all-time favorite movie.

I've never seen it, but parts of it were shown during his CNN interview.

I'll have to check it out.

It was fiction disguising political commentary in a western, as the movie was anti-McCarthy directed back in the day.

Clinton said he's watched it like 25 times.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah, but does he have all the action figures MOC and attend the High Noon conventions? :thumbsup: :Ifeelyourpain:

bigbarada
06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I rented Red Tails today and watched it. It was okay. The acting and the writing made me feel like I was watching a 1980s made-for-TV movie... one of the bad ones. The dog fight sequences were pretty good, but not enough to save the film from mediocrity. The pacing felt really slow and the editing seems awkward in parts. I understand the kind of movie that Lucas was trying to make, but overall I just don't think it worked. With vastly improved visual effects, high-definition picture and the high cost of movie tickets these days, I think audiences just need more from a movie than a poorly-acted, propaganda film with cardboard-cutout characters.

Also watched Drive, which was almost the flip-side of the coin. It was intentionally slow paced, but in a way that built up tension and never seemed to drag the movie down. I don't want to give anything about the ending away, for those who haven't seen it yet, but would it kill people to write a movie with a happy ending once in a while? I'm getting a bit tired of watching all of these well-crafted movies with depressing endings.

Slicker
06-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Went and watched the Pensacola Blue Wahoos play a baseball game in town. They lost but it was my first time at the new stadium and I was greatly impressed.

Tycho
06-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Very nice slicker!

Tycho
06-04-2012, 08:09 AM
BigB, I'm write mostly tragic endings too. They seem to tell more passionate stories. Like the end of empire strikes back. Don't know what it is but happy endings - very cliche. I do plan on writing least 1 so maybe that will be rare in my work. I'll be interested to see how that goes on the market

bigbarada
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
BigB, I'm write mostly tragic endings too. They seem to tell more passionate stories. Like the end of empire strikes back. Don't know what it is but happy endings - very cliche. I do plan on writing least 1 so maybe that will be rare in my work. I'll be interested to see how that goes on the market

I don't know if I would consider ESB to be a tragic ending, it was more along the lines of a "to be continued" ending since, by then, most people knew that there would be a third film. Plus, even though Boba Fett managed to escape with Han Solo and Luke got a thrashing from Darth Vader, the movie still never felt hopeless at the end.

Even with tragic endings, a film can still be thought provoking (the original Planet of the Apes and The Watchmen) or hopeful (300 and Gladiator), but when a movie just seems to frivolously kill off all the main characters for no other reason than to send the message of "this is what would really happen, doesn't life suck?" then you just have to wonder what was the point? I'm not saying that every film needs to have a tacked on Disney-like happy ending, because that would be just as bad. For instance, when they rewrote Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter with a happy ending for the Demi Moore film, it totally destroyed the impact of that story. But if the movie is going to end on a down note, then the audience still needs to feel like they got something out it and didn't just waste 2 hours of their time.

When I watch films like Drive and The Grey I tend to feel like I just wasted 2 hours of my life. Because they spent all of that time getting you to like these characters only to cavalierly kill them off in the end. Sure it might be realistic, but reality is no excuse for bad storytelling.

JimJamBonds
06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
The Hurt Locker, or as I think of it The Bore Locker. Good stuff but it seemed to go on, where was the editing to tighten up those scenes?

Tycho
06-07-2012, 03:49 AM
BigBarada, what did you think of Alien 3? See, I liked it for the same reason as above - with the tragic ending type of thing going for it.

In the end, Ripley showed she'd sacrafice herself in order to prevent The Company from getting their hands on a Queen.

In fact, Alien 3 was probably the best WRITTEN Alien film for that reason.

Yeah Aliens (2) had the most action and "cool gear with tough Marines," and that's great for a shoot-em-up film for sure.

In the meanwhile, I think what you described as "this is what would really happen, doesn't life suck?" is a great "point."

I write to that. It's real and a reflection upon reality. So maybe we learn from that.

In my books:

1) everyone is self-centered even when they start off trying not to be
2) everyone is a hypocrite, whether they know it or not, until they realize it, and get comfortable with it.
3) the worst case scenerios occur as a result of (mostly Republican) political values (my series is called Buried Values for this reason)
4) the religious (all Christian at the moment since they're the majority) are hypocritical
5) the self-centered but admitted villains are the most honest, except if they need to be deceitful for their schemes
6) what turns a good person bad is drummed in with very little subtlety, very much on purpose
7) there are 3 characters for my reader to choose from to identify with - and their philosophies are very much opposites
8) everyone's path leads them to their own hell they create - whether they are trying to be good or bad
9) characters are shades of gray - the bad aren't sadists or something. They want things and don't let others get in their way.
10) there's usually a love affair, but sex is shown to be the motivator that's used as a lure into usery by someone in the relationship

I'm going to continue these sorts of practices in my stories as I use:

Civil War gunfighting horsemen
Treasure hunting adventure girls in modern times

and much more.

I try to find the most tabboo things to write about as well. And I am actually seeking a way to write a story that connects to the rest of these that incorporates a LOT of cannibalism or possibly seriously focuses on beastiality. First, because it's shocking and crass, and next because I'll succeed at making it relevant to my larger series storyline (or I just won't do it) - but I do have planned a whole book centered around suicide. Come to think of it - probably because it's such a depressed character and a depressing topic, that this book DOES have a happy ending (that's not a suicide afterall) exactly because you wouldn't think it was going to go there - especially if I've written 3 or 4 other badly ending stories.

OC47150
06-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I want to see Alien 3 on Blu-Ray. I understand there's an alternate beginning and ending, which makes me interested.

Mask of Fu Manchu. Great makeup job for Karloff the Great.

Mark of the Vampire. Legosi played an actor playing a vampire. Nice to see him ham it up in a Dracula-like role.

Mad Love. Peter Lorre is a mad surgeon who replaces pianist Clive Colin's damaged hands with the hands of a murderer.

bigbarada
06-08-2012, 12:12 AM
BigBarada, what did you think of Alien 3?

I've never been a fan of any Alien movie after Alien and Aliens. Alien 3 just felt like too much of a remake of Alien to me. Also, killing off Newt and Corporal Hicks before the movie even started pretty much made the climatic ending of Aliens completely pointless.

Interesting ideas on how you go about writing your stories. I can see that you are kind of a "big picture" writer in that you think of all of your books in the sense of a grand narrative.

Just got done watching the complete series of Robotech: The Macross Saga. Probably one of the most formative cartoons of my childhood and I've always felt a greater connection to characters like Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes, Max Sterling, etc. than I ever felt towards Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, or Han Solo. The series is just as good as I remember it up to the big battle for Earth. However, I think it runs on a bit too long after that and the story starts to become messy and convoluted. In fact, all of the stuff about the Robotech Masters and Protoculture just feels shoehorned in to help segue into the next series.

Rewatched The Incredible Hulk on Blu-Ray. It's the first time I've seen it since watching The Avengers. I actually like how we now have 3 films with a CG Hulk and the Hulk looks very different in each film and Bruce Banner is played by a different actor each time; but there's still a loose narrative that you can follow when you watch the movies in order. It's kind of like when a comic book changes its artist and writer, then suddenly the entire look and feel of the book changes directions and all the characters look different; but they are still the same characters. It's also cool that the Hulk and Bruce Banner are not tied to one actor, so the character kind of transcends the films.

With that being said, however, I still hope that we don't have any more Bruce Banner recasting. Mark Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk is perfect and they don't ever need to change actors again.

Also, picked up the boxed set of the Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition trilogy. So I think it will be an LOTR marathon for me this weekend.

bigbarada
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
One more LOTR movie to watch, but I also rented a few movies:

John Carter - actually really good. I can't think of a single thing in the movie that I did not like, but at the same time, I don't feel any real excitement about it or have any urge to watch it again. Just like Cowboys and Aliens, I wanted to see the film and enjoyed it pretty much all the way through, but at the same time the film really failed to make any impact on me. Maybe it's the mixing of genres that doesn't interest me (although I understand that the post-Civil-War era in John Carter was only a few decades removed from "modern times" when the original book was written). Or maybe it's the fact that neither protagonist is a likable character at the beginning of their respective film and you eventually only learn to like them in spite of their attitudes, not because of them.

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - you would think that a movie with this title would push lots of boundaries, but with the exception of a few scenes here and there, this film played it safe enough that it could have garnered a PG-13 rating with a bit of editing. I was hoping it would be more humorous than it was, but I can't remember if I laughed out loud even once while watching this film. I'm a big fan of Tyler Labine, but if he was trying to portray a poor man's Zach Galifianakis in this film, he failed miserably.

Tycho
06-12-2012, 05:55 AM
I've been re-watching Band of Brothers. Yeah, I own the box set on DVD - frankly because I never get tired of watching this.

Richard Winters was one heck of a real, live, actual hero.

He died in 2010 I think. Maybe it was a couple of years earlier than that.

I wish I could have met him and shook his hand.

I've met Jerry Coleman plenty of times, though.

JimJamBonds
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Richard Winters was one heck of a real, live, actual hero.

He died in 2010 I think. Maybe it was a couple of years earlier than that.
I think it was last year iirc.

As for myself: Bad Teacher. I'm not much of a Cameron Diaz fan... it was alright, Jason Segal helped.

preacher
06-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Chronicle.

Wow. Just wow. And not in a good way. I'm so sick of the mocumentary style of story-telling. Full of gimmicks. All of them. Camera shots that are so stupid because you know there is no way anybody would a hold a camera during certain events.

Chronicle cheated and used the telekinetic power to stage the camera wherever was needed to beat constraints of first person views. So then why not have a regular movie if you know your story is limited by this type of gimmick. Either tell a story, or film a documentary. The mix of the two styles sucks.

Devil inside. Also a mocumentary and it was soooo boring. The one bright ray, the lunatic mother was not developed. At all.

bigbarada
06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Chronicle.

Wow. Just wow. And not in a good way. I'm so sick of the mocumentary style of story-telling. Full of gimmicks. All of them. Camera shots that are so stupid because you know there is no way anybody would a hold a camera during certain events.

Chronicle cheated and used the telekinetic power to stage the camera wherever was needed to beat constraints of first person views. So then why not have a regular movie if you know your story is limited by this type of gimmick. Either tell a story, or film a documentary. The mix of the two styles sucks.

That was pretty much my impression of the film as well. Once you establish that one of the film's characters can telekinetically hold the camera in the air, then you've defeated the entire purpose of the handheld camera gimmick.

OC47150
06-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine. (1966). A campy 60s movie with Vincent Price in a hammy role as a nefarious doctor trying to take over the world. Fun flick.

I Saw What You Did, and Know Who You Are. Another 60s horror flick with Joan Crawford in a glorified cameo roll. Teenage girls call people at random but one of those calls is to a man who just killed his wife. Wonder if the Scream movies used this premise?

JimJamBonds
06-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Our Idiot Brother starring Paul Rudd as said idiot. In short: he's a screw up and his family blames him for their mistakes. All in all not bad.

El Chuxter
06-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Brave. Or "the movie that more than makes up for Cars' shortcomings."

OC47150
06-27-2012, 09:29 PM
The Searchers. On the big screen! Cinemark is hosting a classic movie series, and the Searchers was shown today. Just had to see that one on the silver screen. One of the great westerns and the Duke in more of his more memorable roles.

Lot of cool old movies playing in my area this summer. An outdoor showing of From Russia with Love may be next.

Tycho
06-28-2012, 12:50 AM
I love John Wayne's movies but don't think I ever saw The Searchers. Please refresh my memory.

I loved Chism and The Undefeated, The Shootist, amongst many others.

I also love From Russia with Love. I may be watching all my James Bond movies soon.

I am currently re-watching The Pacific on DVD. I loved the Hanks-Speilberg WWII collabortations.

I just watched Clint Eastwoods (Letters and Flags), and prior to that, Windtalkers and Thin Red Line, and Pearl Harbor.

I want to expand my collection of guns to include more WWII firepower. I can join an airborne re-enactment community (the 82nd) with some of my fellow Civil War comrades. Yes, they actually parachute for the full experience. Membership dues are high because the company maintains its own plane for re-enacting purposes.

El Chuxter
06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Even better, you could join the airborne group but insist on using your Civil War uniform and weapons. If nothing else, it would make for some interesting pictures. lol

Tycho
06-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Even better, you could join the airborne group but insist on using your Civil War uniform and weapons. If nothing else, it would make for some interesting pictures. lol

We are actually trying to organize a Civil War airforce unit. They had observation balloons they used to scout the enemy positions from and occasionally had to fire from.

Safety is a huge concern here. So we'll need some kind of zip line for escape in an emergency set up - and it might not look very good.

OC47150
06-28-2012, 06:42 AM
I love John Wayne's movies but don't think I ever saw The Searchers. Please refresh my memory.

The Searchers is the one where the Duke spends 5 years looking for his niece (Natalie Wood) who was taken in an Indian raid. It's different because JW played an outright racist. And the scenery is like a member of the cast, too. It's considered the quintessential western, and a lot of Hollywood types like Uncle George, Spielberg, etc... said the Searchers influenced them.

OC47150
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
The Devil's Rejects. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of horror movies, but the Devil's Rejects wasn't on my list to see until I met Bill Moseley (Otis) at a convention recently. Very nice man, his presentation was interesting, and he took time afterward to speak to my stepson and me. That impressed me to want to see his movies. The movie wasn't as bloody as I'd expected.

The Manster. (1959) A Japanese scientist does injects a mutant serum into an American journalist. Not a bad flick.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2012, 02:15 PM
We are actually trying to organize a Civil War airforce unit. They had observation balloons they used to scout the enemy positions from and occasionally had to fire from.The bio I'm reading about Florence "Pancho" Barnes, a pioneer in women's aviation, said her grandfather Thadeus Lowe used a balloon to recon for the North (and apparently was the first person to send a telegraph and take aerial photographs from a balloon [likely not at the same time]).

bigbarada
07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Watched The Dark Knight again to sort of remind myself of what happened before the next Batman flick comes out. For some reason I just can never get excited about this movie. Maybe it goes on too long or whatever, but by the time the film ends, all of my enthusiasm for it has died out completely. I think I just really don't like the message of the film: that a lie is better than the truth if that lie gets people to act the way you want them to. Having Batman take the fall for a politician like Harvey Dent, in order to preserve the public image of said politician, just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, watched The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and was able to remind myself what a true science fiction masterpiece looks like. Sometimes it's nice to get away from all the flashy special effects and just enjoy a good story. Of course, it's hard to believe that people would be so trusting of total strangers in this day and age, but after living in a small town for the last 6 years and not even needing to lock my doors at night, I can start to understand the trusting nature of Americans back in the 1950s.

El Chuxter
07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I've always thought TDK was overrated--very good, but not the end-all, be-all. Begins is better. Batman taking the fall for Dent is stupid; why not blame the other crazy guy everyone knew about for killing the cops? Yeesh.

sith_killer_99
07-02-2012, 01:27 AM
21 Jump Street, I LMAO, yes it was a bit cheesy, but I rather enjoyed it and the cameos were fun.

Tycho
07-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Watched The Dark Knight Maybe it goes on too long or whatever, but by the time the film ends, all of my enthusiasm for it has died out completely.

While I love the movie, there is that feeling that "there's this; and also that; but don't forget about this, too. Oh - and just when you thought it was over - there's also that."

I think the dizzying scene when Batman uses the tech stuff to locate everyone with his bat-vision gets my eyes tired and I can't follow the action as well. Bad idea there. Adam West did it better in the old days for that part.

I think I just really don't like the message of the film: that a lie is better than the truth if that lie gets people to act the way you want them to.

That's so real though. I don't think you're supposed to like it. It's just supposed to be realistic. In that sense it's good writing. It's like the ObamaCare debate. It'd be better if we just had socialized medacine (single-payer, universal) but laymen without stock portfolios or awareness of what fuels their pensions or 401K's won't understand that at present, the insurance companies are also "too big to fail." But in terms of justice, that's true.

So the Commissioner's lie about Batman is one that a dumb Gotham public more readily understands. Unpleasant but real.

I don't want to watch everything with fairytale endings.

Having Batman take the fall for a politician like Harvey Dent, in order to preserve the public image of said politician, just doesn't sit well with me.

So real - like I was saying.

JimJamBonds
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Red Tails ~ ehh not all that good. While I'm not that familar with the group or Army Air Force doctrine it seems that far too much stuff is magically happening to this group of pilots. That said, it was nice to see Bubs from The Wire.

TeeEye7
07-07-2012, 02:02 PM
That Thing You Do!

Starring Bel-Cam Jos!
(Who should have been cast as the Lando-like Lamarr!)

OC47150
07-07-2012, 02:56 PM
The Three Stooges (2012). A movie where no curse words muttered! It was very refreshing, and funny.

bigbarada
07-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Barefoot Gen - an old Japanese cartoon about the bombing of Hiroshima. Written by an actual survivor of the attack, very graphic... way more graphic than a live action movie would ever be able to get away with. You can find the entire movie on Youtube, but if you just want to watch the bombing you can click the link below:
http://youtu.be/BfJZ6nwxD38

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
That Thing You Do!

Starring Bel-Cam Jos!
(Who should have been cast as the Lando-like Lamarr!)Yet I receive no royalties on repeat showings; odd.

TeeEye7
07-08-2012, 01:58 PM
You should fire your agent, then.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2012, 11:05 AM
"I quit! [finger snap] I quit! [snap] I quit! [snap] I quit, Mr. White."

TeeEye7
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Well done, sir! :applouse:

TeeEye7
07-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Rosario Dawson.

Cheesy disaster-genre flick but enjoyable nonetheless.

I could have done without the "documentary-style" photography. Overdone and added NOTHING to the story.

JimJamBonds
07-15-2012, 09:58 PM
To Fat For 40. Its (yet) another filming of a Q & A with Kevin Smith, which was filmed on his 40th birthday in his hometown of Red Banks, NJ. It was ok, some good stuff, a lot of ehh, it wasn't as good as some of his eariler "films."

bigbarada
07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Ice Age: Continental Drift - I only watched it because they let me in for free. Some of the jokes were kind of funny, but the short Simpsons cartoon at the beginning was one of the worst cartoons I've ever watched. Also, after seeing films like Rango, the graphics on Ice Age just feel too dated and simplistic to me. It's time for this franchise to be put on the shelf permanently.

Amazing Spider-Man - I've been a huge fan of Spider-Man since high school; but certain things about the Sam Raimi films always bothered me. Primarily his organic web shooters, which I've always thought were a horrible idea. It makes him seem too alien and it feels to convenient that they would just happen to form under his wrists. Fortunately, that's one of the movie missteps that this new film has fixed. Overall, I like this reboot a lot better than the original films. The budding romance between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy felt very real and unforced. Considering the chemistry that the actors have onscreen, I'm actually hoping that they don't kill Gwen off too quickly to make room for Mary Jane Watson. I went into this movie hoping that this franchise would fail and allow Marvel to get the full rights back for their character, thereby allowing Spider-Man to exist in the Avengers universe. However, I walked out of the theater hoping that the film is successful enough for a couple of sequels.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Krull - I remember loving this film back in the '80s. Not that I don't anymore (I mean, I go to EVERY SINGLE Krull midnight showing and convention :rolleyes: ), but as with many "dated" films, it suffers by current sci-fi quality. It looks like a mix of Princess Bride and MP & the Holy Grail, and sounds like a mix of '80s Clash of the Titans and Never Ending Story. I can forgive the visual effects' chessiness, but the sound effects are bad. Still, a nice blast of nostalgia.

bigbarada
07-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Song of the South - the 1946 Disney film. Apparently Disney refuses to release this film on DVD (or even VHS) in the United States because it's considered too racist. Overall, I think the movie has a good message and the only thing I could see that appeared racist was the "tar baby" sequence. However, the cartoon never explains exactly what the tar baby is supposed to represent and I don't think most kids today would even understand the reference enough to be offended by it. It's a shame that films like this one should suffer because people are so afraid to be labeled "racist" or politically incorrect.

El Chuxter
07-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Holy crap, how did you see that? Bootleg copy? YouTube? If it's on YouTube or easily viewable, I'd like to see it. It's been decades, literally.

Funny thing about the whole tar baby thing--in Harris' story, it wasn't intended to be a racist thing at all. His Uncle Remus tales were actually transcribed from actual slave narratives, with the dialect rendered as accurately as he was able, IIRC.

TeeEye7
07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
The Amazing Spider-Man - Mrs. TI7 and I went and saw it this afternoon. Like BigB, I think it easily outshines the originals! Sorry Toby, but I much preferred Andrew Garfield's portrayal of Peter Parker to yours. We really liked the story on many levels. The supporting cast choices were great and not who I would have expected to take the roles, particularly of Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field---really enjoyed how she approached the role).

I'm a huge fan of movie sound tracks and James Horner's score is epic!

All-in-all, a huge thumb's up from the TI family! It takes a lot to get me into a theater (mainly because of prices and the fact that Hollywood is creatively bankrupt...previews of a "new" Total Recall...again...really? I rest my case). I have not set foot into a movie theater since LOTR Return of the King; nothing has inspired me to go before now. Usually, I just wait for the DVD to go on sale at Target, but my high expectations for the new Spidey did not disappoint. I may actually go see this again...in the theater!

bigbarada
07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Holy crap, how did you see that? Bootleg copy? YouTube? If it's on YouTube or easily viewable, I'd like to see it. It's been decades, literally.

Funny thing about the whole tar baby thing--in Harris' story, it wasn't intended to be a racist thing at all. His Uncle Remus tales were actually transcribed from actual slave narratives, with the dialect rendered as accurately as he was able, IIRC.

You can watch it on YouTube broken up into about 9 parts. This user has the entire film loaded up:
http://youtu.be/JrAKhHcZM-Y
It's just the link to part one, you can watch the other 8 parts from his list of videos.

If you want to buy a copy, send me a PM and I'll send you a link to the website where I got mine.

After hearing so much about the controversy, then actually seeing the movie, it all just seemed like much ado about nothing. There isn't anything offensive about the film at all. And the "Zippity-Doo-Da" song is one of Disney's most iconic musical numbers, so it's a shame that they are trying to bury this film.

El Chuxter
07-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I somehow never considered looking for it on YouTube. I remember seeing it once or twice as a kid. From what I remember, there's nothing wrong with it; admitting that there were slaves, then poor sharecroppers who had formerly been slaves, is far from racist. (It's like arguing Huck Finn is racist because they use the n-word, which was just the commonly used term at the time, and missing that the entire point of the book is the exact opposite.)

Funny thing is, B'rer Rabbit, B'rer Fox, and B'rer Bear run around Critter Country at Disneyland, and appear in Splash Mountain, but I'm sure the kids who go have no idea who they are.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2012, 09:57 AM
With a special movies channel offer (I guess), I've seen Toy Story 3, Wild Things, and Tron Legacy lately.

TeeEye7
07-22-2012, 01:08 PM
With a special movies channel offer (I guess), I've seen Toy Story 3, Wild Things, and Tron Legacy lately.

I've seen things "Tron" of late as well...only at the Reagan Library!

bigbarada
07-25-2012, 03:04 AM
Dark Knight Rises - watched it the day before yesterday. Overall I think it's the best of the 3 Nolan Batman films. I was really bothered by how TDK ended with Batman taking the rap for Harvey Dent's murders, so seeing that blow up in Batman's and Commissioner Gordon's faces in this film really made that much easier to take. So I can say that Rises actually salvaged this entire trilogy for me.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - I watched this on the recommendation of a friend of mine and it was hilarious. It took me a bit to realize that the overblown, video game action sequences were an actual part of the story and not some kind of fantasy or flashback sequence. I thought it was just some kind of Juno ripoff up until that point. Once I was able to shut down the logic centers in my brain that wanted to reject those parts, I actually really enjoyed the movie.

Melacholia - a beautiful movie to watch, even though most people will find it painfully slow; but you do get to see Kirsten Dunst's breasts, so there's that. Even though the entire movie is about depression and sadness, it's not a depressing film. Which is another odd statement considering that everybody dies in the end. Which isn't really a spoiler, since you see the planet destroyed at the beginning of the film and everything else is essentially a flashback.

Tycho
07-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I watched "The Right Stuff" a good flick about our first manned space flights and the exploits of:

Chuck Yeager - amazing test pilot
Tom Shepard - first American in space
John Glenn - first American to orbit the earth

The movie's actually very funny through the majority of the middle of it and makes fools out of politicians like Presidents Isenhower and Johnson. But I think it might be close to the historical facts.

A look into the history of flight from 1947 to 1963. Very good movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
You can add a "first" to Yeager as the first person to break the sound barrier.

TeeEye7
07-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Tom Shepard - first American in space

Poor Alan is probably rolling over in his grave........

Tycho
07-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Whooops. TeyEye is right. Alan Shepard.

Tom Shepard is a Fox News reporter I believe.

bigbarada
07-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Whooops. TeyEye is right. Alan Shepard.

Tom Shepard is a Fox News reporter I believe.

Isn't that Shepard Smith?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2012, 06:34 PM
No, that's confusing Red Barber and Redd Foxx (always bothering shepherds) with journalist Red Smith.

Tycho
07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah. Memory's garbled up. I think Tom Shepard is a Republican political strategist in San Diego, then.

Shepard Smith might be the guy from Fox.

Alan Shepard is the guy from the Mercury rocket missions then.

A regular shepard is a guy who tends to goats or sheep.

But cowboys tend to buffalo, steers, and cows.

People that tend to lizards work are called Geico Agents.

OC47150
07-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Day of the Triffids. Interesting sci-fi flick from the 60s.

bigbarada
07-31-2012, 05:17 AM
I just realized that Youtube is the place to go if you want to watch all of those 1980s nuclear war movies. So I spent a couple of days watching every one I could think of:

The Day After (1983) - this is clearly the most famous of this mini-genre (Cold War Nuclear Disaster film), but it's probably the most unrealistic in terms of the intensity of the attack. Still a few good moments in it and it was definitely scary enough for me as a kid. As the movie progresses and gets more and more depressing, you can see that the filmmakers must have been getting worried because they tried to end the movie on a somewhat positive note (focusing on human compassion in the final scene). I remember watching this when it debuted on TV. I was 10 years old and almost everyone I knew was totally convinced that the film would become a reality within the next few years. It's hard to put myself back into that mindset, but I spent my entire childhood with the threat of nuclear war hanging over our heads.

Threads (1984) - this is the British equivalent of The Day After and it's much more intense, more graphic and goes into much more detail on just how ****ed we'd all be if a worldwide nuclear war did take place. Unlike The Day After, Threads makes no attempt whatsoever to end the movie on a positive note. I also watched this one when I was a kid (I think it ran a couple of different times on PBS) and I can honestly say that the nuclear attack scenes in this movie have stuck with me for my entire life. Even watching it now, you can just feel the panic building as the attack gets closer.

When the Wind Blows (1988) - an animated film about an elderly British couple who are caught up in the aftermath of nuclear war. What sets this one apart is how the couple is totally clueless when it comes to the seriousness of a nuclear attack. They keep making references to what they did during the Blitzkrieg in WW2 and they never really catch on that this is a completely different kind of war. Again, no attempt to end the movie on a happy note. In fact, the cluelessness of the characters is somewhat humorous and endearing throughout the film, but makes the ending so much more tragic, because they are totally unaware of just how bleak their situation is.

Testament (1983) - I think this movie was originally released in theaters. It's also about a family dealing with the radioactive fallout of a nuclear war. This was another one that I watched as a kid and it has stuck with me long into adulthood as well. I find it haunting how the death toll keep rising and each death become less and less significant and less traumatic as he characters start to become numb to everything around them. However, even though most of the characters are dead by the end of the film, it still tries to end the movie on a positive, uplifting note. As a result, the last scene in the film really feels tacked on and out of place.

Countdown to Looking Glass (1984) - an early "mockumentary" style film which focused on one news station having to report on an escalating world nuclear crisis. I had never heard of this film before yesterday. They were definitely trying to make the potential seriousness of the story seem more real by using actual footage from other world crises. Maybe it would have seemed more groundbreaking 28 years ago, when there weren't so many 24-hour news networks, the internet, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

OC47150
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
The Giant Gila Monster. Boy, you gotta love the 50s and 60s cheesy drive-in monster movies.

The Fatal Hour. (1940). Karloff the great plays a Chinese detective helping police solve a murder.

JimJamBonds
08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Airplane! Don't Call Me Sally Edition. A classic, nuff said.

p.s. I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue.

Tycho
08-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I watched The Godfather Part II (love this movie! - it's set as Cuba falls to Castro and prior to Kennedy being set up for assasination). The spread of the Mafia from New York to Chicago, Florida, and Las Vegas is explored. Gangsters are so awesome!

St. Valentine's Day Massacre - Al Capone defeats Morang (by dressing his killers as cops - a plot device borrowed for The Dark Knight) and the Northside Gang goes down (formerly the O'Banion's who once drew the unwanted attention of Indiana Jones). This movie is allegedly based on the exact true account of the events in 1929, however.

BTW, Frank Nitty doesn't die around those years, as seen in The Untouchables (Kevin Costner's "Ness" throws him off the roof of the courthouse building - not true actually). Nitty runs the gang while Capone calls the orders from prison after Ness gets him. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre takes place before Ness got on the scene however. Capone is the protagonist you are rooting for and Morang and Chicago's Northside Gang are the bad guys. This movie is set before Megatron and Sentinel Prime take over the city in the future.

Hoffa - a movie I've rewatched frequently. Jack Nicholson plays Hoffa and Danny DeVito plays his right hand man as they make a deal with the Mafia that builds Las Vegas. True story as well.

JimJamBonds
08-10-2012, 12:35 PM
With 2-1B at Wizard World I thought I'd watch Chasing Amy (for the opening con scene), good call JJB! :GB_bonesrock:

Tycho
08-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm watching PT 109 with John F. Kennedy.

Did the men really see NO sharks when they abandoned ship and swam with the wounded for 4 miles to that island in Japanese territory?

Sharks. That's what I'd be worried about (besides starvation and dehydration).

But it's quite an ordeal that our future president and then war-hero went through.

The film presents John F. Kennedy as very noble and a war hero. I'm wondering how this chapter gets incorporated into a larger film about his life and him cheating on his beautiful wife with Marilyn Monroe? Or his dad with Mafia connections getting him elected President, and making sure that movie got made in the first place (as Hollywood was also controlled by the Mafia).

I watched Bugsy (about Las Vegas Mafia founder Bugsy Seagle) a couple of days ago. He was a maniac!

Virginia Hill was good taste though.

bigbarada
08-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest and At World's End - I've never seen either of them before and they were okay; plus they only cost $1 each to rent. I think At World's End dragged on because there was simply too much going on with the plot. What was the purpose of Calypso being released? It seems like she was only put into the movie to give them an excuse for a big, special-effects heavy sea battle, then she disappears. When the most recent POTC hits the dollar rentals, I'll check that one out.

Wolverine - it's the first time I've seen it since it was in the theaters. I just wanted to see if it was really as bad as I remembered. It was worse. I thought of just shutting it off several times during the film, but I suffered through it. Now I hear that they have another Wolverine movie coming out next year? I'll only watch it if they recast Wolverine with someone who is physically a better match for the character (he's only supposed to be about 5' 5" tall, not over 6').

El Chuxter
08-10-2012, 10:25 PM
The Great Dictator (1940).

Charlie Chaplin started making this around the time of the invasion of Poland. He makes Hitler look like a ridiculous moron in ways that comedians even now would be iffy about since the guy was pure, distilled evil. He was a Jew, born in the UK and living in the US, in a world where he totally ripped a new one for an anti-Semitic guy with a special hatred for the US and Britain who was taking over all over Europe seemingly with little effort and had eyes on the whole damned world.

The man walked funny in so many of his movies because he had to avoid chafing his supernaturally enormous balls.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Die Hard, the not-edited-for-cable version ("Mr. Falcon," really?). Found out it was based on a 1970s book Nothing Lasts Forever, but those are not cheap to buy (only hardcover, it seems).

TeeEye7
08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Cowboys and Aliens

Still perplexed if this was just a bad movie like 50s-60s sci-fi movies, or a movie that was intentionally trying to be bad and parodying that genre. At any rate, it was bad. It wasn't the entertainment I was looking for...

OC47150
08-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Die Hard, the not-edited-for-cable version ("Mr. Falcon," really?). Found out it was based on a 1970s book Nothing Lasts Forever, but those are not cheap to buy (only hardcover, it seems).

My personal favorite is Maggot Farmer. And I think the original DH is based on two books. One of them was written by Roderick Thorpe.

The Expendables 2. This was one of the movies I've been waiting all year for, and it didn't disappoint! Told my buddy, let's see it again as we walked out. Bring on #3!

The Mummy (1932). Gotta love the classics.

JimJamBonds
08-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Red State, this is not your fathers Kevin Smith film. I thought this was supposed to be a horror film, but that it certainly wasn't.

bigbarada
08-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Cowboys and Aliens

Still perplexed if this was just a bad movie like 50s-60s sci-fi movies, or a movie that was intentionally trying to be bad and parodying that genre. At any rate, it was bad. It wasn't the entertainment I was looking for...

I think they tried to play the entire movie straight with no intention of making it silly or campy. As a result the film seemed to me like it took itself way too seriously and ended up feeling completely lifeless and devoid of soul. Not to mention the characters felt very one-dimensional. I personally have no interest in male lead characters who have only two facial expressions - angry and brooding - because they just don't have enough humanity for me to care about them at all. Sure the guy lost his wife, but is that any excuse for him to be such an insufferable bore throughout the entire film?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I think they tried to play the entire movie straight with no intention of making it silly or campy. As a result the film seemed to me like it took itself way too seriously and ended up feeling completely lifeless and devoid of soul.Do you remember the reports (and I was in such a theater) when the early trailer ran, that audiences laughed? Then the later ones got "serious" in their tone.

TeeEye7
08-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I think they tried to play the entire movie straight with no intention of making it silly or campy.

I came away with the latter impression of your statement, BigB. I thought it was a failed attempt at being cute. I'm horrified to think they wanted the audience to look at it as a serious attempt at sci-fi in an unconventional setting. *sheesh!*

bigbarada
08-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I came away with the latter impression of your statement, BigB. I thought it was a failed attempt at being cute. I'm horrified to think they wanted the audience to look at it as a serious attempt at sci-fi in an unconventional setting. *sheesh!*

I guess I just assumed that the director was going for the same level of realism that he put into the Iron Man films. I thought some of the concepts were interesting, like the aliens looking for gold. Gold is one of the best conductors of electricity, so obviously it would still be valuable to a technologically advanced race.

Anyways, I finally got around to watching the new Clash of the Titans. Sigh, yet another male lead character who spends most of the film brooding. I think the only interesting character in the entire film was the mechanical owl who only appeared for about 2 seconds; but at least you felt some empathy for him as he was shoved back into the chest where he was found. The special effects were pretty good for the most part. A little too much CG at times, but overall fairly competent visuals.

What I really don't understand was the message of the movie. The movie ended with Perseus becoming exactly what he spent the entire movie trying not to become. To me it felt like the movie was saying, "We need to rage against the gods, because we're humans and that's what we do: rage against things. But every once in a while the gods will give you some cool stuff, so maybe they're not all that bad."

Also, Sam Worthington's haircut completely pulled me out of the movie. It was way too contemporary. He looked more like a modern US Marine who fell through a timewarp than an ancient Greek demi-god.

JimJamBonds
08-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Haulin' A__. Its a documentary would burro racing in Colorado, it was on PBS and actually pretty interesting.

Tycho
08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm watching the HBO series The Kennedys.

It's about John F. Kennedy.

And his father. Senator Joe Kennedy.

And his brother. Robert Kennedy (Bobby).

The Kennedy's were running alcohol during Prohibition. They moved with gangsters and made a fortune and became another Mafia tie-in to the government.

The Mafia got JFK elected to do their bidding.

Kennedy was the heroic idealist that progressives worhsip.

He appointed brother Bobby to Attorney General and the Justice Department went after the Mafia and organized labor unions who were controlled by the Mafia. It was all corrupted. However, the Democrats of the 60's were using Union muscle (Mafia coerced) to get into power and promote their liberal ideals.

Translation:

Democrats - intellectual idealists use uneducated thugs moved by organized crime to gain power so they can improve the lives of the poor while they make certain rich still richer through illegal activity.

Republicans - greedy capitalists use uneducated religious zealots moved by evangelism to gain power to represent tax cuts so the wealthy don't have to pay for the poor except by volunatary charity, yet claim they are more patrioitc because "socialism is not patrioitc, but Un-American."

Meanwhile, I am working on my master plan so we won't need either of them!

JimJamBonds
08-27-2012, 09:42 PM
I saw The Kennedy's mini series, it was ok. Some shady history was told, shady as in "not correct."

El Chuxter
08-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Wasn't that on The History Channel?

They told me that aliens built the pyramids. Are you saying that might be suspect?

bigbarada
08-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I saw The Kennedy's mini series, it was ok. Some shady history was told, shady as in "not correct."

I took a history class in college and we were told that filmmakers had become the new historians and that was not presented as a good thing. Because filmmakers are only interested in storytelling, creating drama and making a profit. Accuracy and faithfulness to the historical record is secondary. So whenever I watch "historical" films, TV shows, documentaries, etc., I always remember to take what I am seeing with a grain of salt because most filmmakers are only interested in sensationalism, not an accurate portrayal of the facts.

El Chuxter
08-27-2012, 11:08 PM
If you want a prime example of that, watch anything on any of the educational channels (I think they're all the same channel except National Geographic and Smithsonian) about vampires. It will discuss Elizabeth Bathory, the "Blood Countess."

Pay close attention to the "facts" it gives you.

Then go and look up the real Elizabeth Bathory. Most of what those shows present as fact was concocted for a novelization over a century later.

Another great one is this special they have about Native Americans during the Civil War. It talks about the Lowry Gang, and how they fought the Confederates during the Civil War, and even guided Sherman through the swamps of NC.

Too bad the gang didn't exist until a few years after the war ended. And I've never been able to find out where the claim about Sherman originated.

Those channels are like Wikipedia--great to use as a starting point if you do your own research; just don't cite them.

Tycho
08-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Wasn't that on The History Channel?

They told me that aliens built the pyramids. Are you saying that might be suspect?

I'm not sure what channel was originally on.

Thanks for the insight guys!

By the way the Transformers built the pyramids. I saw it in a movie

JimJamBonds
09-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I took a history class in college and we were told that filmmakers had become the new historians and that was not presented as a good thing. Because filmmakers are only interested in storytelling, creating drama and making a profit. Accuracy and faithfulness to the historical record is secondary. So whenever I watch "historical" films, TV shows, documentaries, etc., I always remember to take what I am seeing with a grain of salt because most filmmakers are only interested in sensationalism, not an accurate portrayal of the facts.Pretty much!

I saw American Reunion, not as good as the first couple American Pie's but it killed an hour and a half or however long it was.

My Way, this Korean movie while interesting certainly brings a few questions to my mind. In short: starts in Korea in the late 1920's when Japan takes over. Two young boys are both good runners who hate each other. They go into the army and fight the Russian's become POW's and eventually fight for the Russian's inorder to leave the pow camp. They get caught by the German's and end up at Normandy and on June 6th, 1944 they attempt to go AWOL but for some reason there is "something" going on that prevents them. The Korean is mortally wounded but gives his dog tags to the Japanese telling him the American's would kill him for sure. Flash forward and the Japanese wins the Olympic marathon while competing as the Korean's identity.

JimJamBonds
09-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Moneyball. It was pretty decent, as usual the book was better and they made up stuff/omited things/looked the other way on telling things that actually happened in order to further the story THEY wanted to tell... but still its a movie about baseball and its not bad.

bigbarada
09-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I finally got around to watching ESB and ROTJ on Blu-Ray. I didn't really notice any changes to ESB that haven't been there since 2004, but the changes to ROTJ were actually less offensive than I expected them to be. Even Darth Vader's "Nooooo!" didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Of course, it pulled me right out of the movie, but that's because I know it's not supposed to be there. If I wasn't used to seeing it the other way, then I'm not sure if I would even notice anything out of place.

The Dug walking through Jabba's Palace was cut away from so quickly that I almost missed it. Either way, the Dug is one of my favorite Prequel alien designs and I actually think they look cooler than a majority of OT alien designs. So, it wasn't something that bothered me at all. Yuzzum is still the most annoying CG character inserted into the film.

Wicket's eyes felt like a real improvement. It's amazing how much more lifelike it made the character. No longer do I just see a midget looking through plastic lenses when they do a close-up of Wicket's face. Although it seems like they made his eyes huge compared to what they used to be.

It also seems like they added a bunch of extra background noise to the Sarlacc scene just before the Skiff Battle. There was a lot more cheering and jeering going on, when they were preparing to throw Luke into the Sarlacc, than I ever remember hearing. It blended with the action about as well as a laugh-track on a 1980s sitcom. However, this is the first time I've ever watched these movies in anything resembling surround sound, so it's possible those sounds have always been there and I just never noticed them before.

What was probably the most surprising was that neither film really held my interest all the way through. I kept drifting off and finding something else to do while the movies played in the background. It's been probably 3-4 years since I've sat down and watched ROTJ all the way through, at least 6 years since my last full viewing of ESB. I thought maybe all the years away combined with the new format, would freshen these films up for me a bit, but that didn't really happen.

After all these years, it might finally be time to admit that I think I'm getting sick of Star Wars.

JimJamBonds
09-18-2012, 02:07 PM
The Other Boleyn Girl. To be honest I didn't realize it was Henry VIII until well...after a point that I should've known. I did a bit of research after the fact and yeah some iffy history was told, but it wasn't a bad flick I guess.

Tycho
09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Big Barada, that's why I love the comics and books, and Clone Wars so much.

I can't watch the movies that much. It's been a long time for me as well.

I think I could handle ROTS to be honest. Scenes on Coruscant intrigue me right now (less so AOTC's and moreso ROTS' obviously).

But it's been a while since I've seen any of them and ROTJ could also be a good time viewing.

However, what I'd really like now is an animated series with the Classic Characters, most likely post-ROTJ.

The Yuuzhan Vong (NJO) invasion era would be great to see.

I'd like to see Jacen Solo as a Jedi for a while, before he becomes Darth Caedus, however, a story taking place while he is alive and the reigning Dark Lord might be interesting, with his sister Jaina as the lead hero character versus a villain she knows is her own brother.

Thing is, I'd really want Mark, Carrie, and (maybe really hard to get) Harrison to do the voice-overs for their characters.

But I'd also like to see Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, and Corran Horn, plus Mara Jade Skywalker in action during all of this.

That'd be a lot of fun.

Let's rebalance the animated EU so it doesn't always remain so Prequel Trilogy skewed. And don't get me wrong, I love the Clone Wars.

BTW: Ahsoka has to live and she and Rex could confront the armored (post-Mustafar) Darth Vader and that would make an awesome episode!

bigbarada
09-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Big Barada, that's why I love the comics and books, and Clone Wars so much.

I can't watch the movies that much. It's been a long time for me as well.

I think I could handle ROTS to be honest. Scenes on Coruscant intrigue me right now (less so AOTC's and moreso ROTS' obviously).

But it's been a while since I've seen any of them and ROTJ could also be a good time viewing.

However, what I'd really like now is an animated series with the Classic Characters, most likely post-ROTJ.

The Yuuzhan Vong (NJO) invasion era would be great to see.

I'd like to see Jacen Solo as a Jedi for a while, before he becomes Darth Caedus, however, a story taking place while he is alive and the reigning Dark Lord might be interesting, with his sister Jaina as the lead hero character versus a villain she knows is her own brother.

Thing is, I'd really want Mark, Carrie, and (maybe really hard to get) Harrison to do the voice-overs for their characters.

But I'd also like to see Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, and Corran Horn, plus Mara Jade Skywalker in action during all of this.

That'd be a lot of fun.

Let's rebalance the animated EU so it doesn't always remain so Prequel Trilogy skewed. And don't get me wrong, I love the Clone Wars.

BTW: Ahsoka has to live and she and Rex could confront the armored (post-Mustafar) Darth Vader and that would make an awesome episode!

I tried getting into the EU stuff back in 2000-2001, but it never really held my interest. It always just felt like cheap, second-rate sci-fi to me.

As it is right now, only Star Wars characters that have direct ties to specific childhood memories are what hold my interest anymore and even that is starting to erode more and more as the years go by.

Tycho
09-21-2012, 02:26 PM
I think I understand, though I feel differently.

However, I'd like Han, Luke, Leia, and Chewie to come alive again in some kind of new animated format.

I let myself enjoy the prequels and this (final?) upcoming season of Clone Wars is something I look forward to.

However, Star Wars has to keep with the new, too.

I get bored watching the old movies. But that's just me.

sith_killer_99
09-22-2012, 12:54 AM
I just finished "The Cabin in the Woods".

I enjoyed it. Not your typical cabin-in-the-woods-horror-flick. hahaha

OC47150
09-23-2012, 08:11 PM
One Day in September. An interesting documentary about the 1972 Munich Olympic massacre. The sole-surviving Palestinian terrorist involved in the incident was interviewed.

The Mole Peole. My favorite cheesy 50s sci-fi movie. Gotta love John Agar.

bigbarada
09-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I just finished "The Cabin in the Woods".

I enjoyed it. Not your typical cabin-in-the-woods-horror-flick. hahaha

I watched that the other day and I agree. I think the twist at the end really made the entire movie feel worth watching. Definitely better than the average horror film and I thought the humor really added a lot.

Also watched 500 Days of Summer and that was pretty good too.

JimJamBonds
10-05-2012, 11:48 AM
The Avengers, it was good, not that great, who didn't see what was happening really?

bigbarada
10-05-2012, 04:26 PM
who didn't see what was happening really?

What are you asking exactly? Of course the movie was going to be predictable, but that's what made it work so well. It didn't try to throw the audience off in any way, we all knew that the heroes would struggle to get along initially but eventually work together to save the world. It was a pretty straight forward, but very well-crafted story. I thought all of the actors worked really well together and that's really the most important thing in a movie like this.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2012, 09:41 AM
That makes it a true comic book movie, then. Most 22-page plots were fairly predictable; but you enjoyed the action, the dialogue (witty, off-hand remarks while punching, flying, jumping), and the splash pages. At least I did. I found the movie cool, but not the best action movie ever made.

JimJamBonds
10-06-2012, 09:50 PM
The Borgias: Season I, Jeremy Irons plays Pope Alexander II (circa 1490's) on this Showtime show. Pretty sleazy business going on with the pope. While its based on real people and events it is hardly historically accurate.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2012, 09:12 AM
While its based on real people and events it is hardly historically accurate.Yeah, especially the part where Alan Rickman guest-starred and they both hijacked the castle and those carts hauling gold, only to foiled by Sir Willis and his page Samuel. :D

Tycho
10-08-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm watching movies about the 1970's, in terms of bad warfare.

Vitenam is obvious.

And the fall-out: the proliferation of drugs through methods like those employed in American Gangster and The French Connection, and the use of covert operatives like Donnie Brasco.

The pull-out from Vietnam and the hard life awaiting the soldiers like Rambo and the search for new, fertile battlegrounds to fight the Soviet Union (Charlie Wilson's War) as well as places to sell our weapons and keep covert operations and special forces deployed, as when the government decides to formalize relations with "The A-Team," and design "Project X" only to face Wolverine.

(some of these films are not historically accurate)

This is also the era a great many of us were born into. Star Wars arrived and Ronald Reagan was about to begin and continue leading his administration. Tom Cruise was training to become a fighter pilot and John DeLorean released a vehicle that could be converted into a time machine.

JimJamBonds
10-25-2012, 11:56 AM
The Artist ~ Good, it was strange to watch a movie that was (almost) silent.

OC47150
10-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I watched that the other day and I agree. I think the twist at the end really made the entire movie feel worth watching. Definitely better than the average horror film and I thought the humor really added a lot.

I've been wanting to rent it but haven't yet.

Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. On the big screen!!! The wife and I went to the double-feature Wed. nite and enjoyed it. She hadn't seen Bride before.

OC47150
10-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Since it is Halloween, I've been fully immersed in watching horror and sci-fi for the month. Here's what I've watched thus far:

Here's my list of Halloween movies thus far.

The Bat
The Time Machine
Trick Or Treat
The Dead (2010)
I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
Zombies of Mora Tau
Angry Red Planet
Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
Camel Spiders
The Deadly Mantis (1957)
The Reptile (1966)
Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959)
Vampyr (1932)
The 4D Man
Road Games (1981)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
Prehistoric Women (1967)
American Horror House
Curse of the Demon
Donovan's Brain (1953)
The Gorgon (1964)
The Devil's Bride (1968)
Motel Hell (1980??)
This Island Earth
Panga (1991)
The Giant Claw (1957)
The Black Room (1935)
Frankenstein (1931)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

I went with a different approach this year and broadened my horizon by watching movies I hadn't watched before. Now with Halloween less than a week away, I'm gonna start watching my usuals: Halloween 1 and 2, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead.

And if I have time, Redneck Zombies!

Tycho
10-26-2012, 02:46 AM
I've been watching some TV on DVD.

I really enjoy the A-Team and I sorely miss Star Trek: Enterprise.

As to the latter, I really like the way they were developing Trip and T'Pol's relationship but then they killed him! WTF!

For the former, the sad news is that there will not be another new movie. Bradley Cooper (Face) was quoted in an interview that he'd love to do it, but there isn't a strong enough market. I got used to Liam Neeson playing Hannibal, too.

TeeEye7
11-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Judgement at Nuremberg

Still, after many years have never seen this movie in its entirety. I was very close this time, though. Miss about the first twenty minutes or so.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Another one of those can't-change-the-channel movies: First Blood.

Tycho
11-04-2012, 12:41 AM
I love First Blood and all the subsequent Rambo movies. Did you know Stallone had written a lot of them?

He has a speech impediment and as a muscle man, you think one stereotype about him.

But he's an accomplished WRITER and director. Stallone is actually a very intelligent man and didn't get brain damaged from the Rocky movies even though the fighting effects would make you think so...

I am still watching The A-Team episodes and they make me really happy.

And I've watched Steven Speilberg's Into the West save for the final chapter.

It's really good, especially chapter 3 in Bleeding Kansas!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Thursday was the 50th anniversary of the original release of the To Kill a Mockingbird film, and AMC, in connection with Turner Classic Movies, had screenings that day. There were HUGE crowds of people camped out around the theater, so my teacher heart and my societal honesty heart soared to realize people care about beautiful cinema and moral themes... until I found out they were just Twilight midnight showing waiters. :( But TKAM on the big screen was amazing; there was even audience participation during the pre-trail scenes (talking back, laughing, pointing, etc.). I'd say there were over 100 in the theater. The trivia was interesting... the first TWO times it ran, and NOT the next 10 times (seriously; there's NO way to get OTHER questions over a ten-minute time period? :mad: ). A good appetite-whetting for our last weekend of stage shows. :thumbsup:

[edit] One of my students apparently went to a midnight Twilight sequel, because there was a ticket stub on my classroom floor; it had only Breaking 2 as its title. With 50 years of TKAM, how did I miss an Electric Boogaloo encore? :rolleyes:

bigbarada
11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Watched the new version of The Thing last week. It was okay. I think the creature started attacking too soon for proper dramatic buildup and many times it revealed itself, when it was otherwise perfectly disguised, for no good reason. I had totally forgotten that it was supposed to lead right up into the first scene of the John Carpenter movie, until I watched the end. But I don't feel that it really built up to that moment seamlessly enough and it felt more than a little tacked on.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Got around to seeing Lincoln today, and I was shocked to find NOTHING about cities in the state of Nebraska in the movie at all. :rolleyes: Excellent story and acting; Spielberg obviously knows how to make passing legislation work in a movie, unlike Lucas in TPM. I was surprised at how Spielberg decided to end it, but I guess shouldn't have been.

bigbarada
11-21-2012, 05:03 AM
Got around to seeing Lincoln today, and I was shocked to find NOTHING about cities in the state of Nebraska in the movie at all. :rolleyes: Excellent story and acting; Spielberg obviously knows how to make passing legislation work in a movie, unlike Lucas in TPM. I was surprised at how Spielberg decided to end it, but I guess shouldn't have been.

I'm curious as to how historically accurate the film is. I'm sure Spielberg can make an entertaining and visually stunning film, but I wonder how factual it really is.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
It wasn't all that visually stunning, even the few battle scenes; but more authentic-looking. It reminded me of Shindler's List in that regard.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2012, 09:27 PM
I finally was able to check out Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter on DVD from the library. I really liked the book, but the movie didn't have the same "historical" aspects to me; just flash and less substance. When the back of the disc case says the movie has "spectacular special effects," you should be wary. Oh, well.

bigbarada
11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Watched Fiddler on the Roof today, it's probably the first time I've sat down and watched the entire film in over 20 years. I remember they would play it on TV a lot when I was a kid and my parents would always make it a point for us all to sit down and watch it as a family. It's probably the only musically I can actually watch AND enjoy.

However, without getting political, I was actually kind of surprised that there were so many socialist undertones in the film. It's something that I never would have picked up on as a kid, obviously; but it's interesting that this film touches on a lot of the class-warfare themes of pre-revolutionary Russia, and that in itself is very similar to many of the economic concerns of people today (not to mention the political and economic climate of the US in 1971 when the film was released).

Tycho
11-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I will only ask, how can one vote or support policies that adversely affect their class. I hope I'm a gazillionaire one day myself, but I can double-check with my bank and they'll tell me I'm not ;)

Meanwhile, private message me and tell me how Lincoln ends, as I don't think I can afford movie tickets right now. I guess I'm not poor, but editing my novel and attending writing conferences WILL cost more than I have anyway - on top of grad school auto re-registration, subscription and club renewals, etc. I can't really do Christmas shopping :(

But I've been disappointed to hear that Lincoln does not include big Civil War re-enactor battles. I do that and am even filmed for movies like Hatfields & McCoys as well as other History Channel and Military Channel stuff, and we work hard to have special effects coordinated with a well-rehersed performance staged before live audiences. We have real horses, wagons, and cannons, not to menion the use of real swords and guns.

Meanwhile, I am resigned to staying in and watching YouTube videos. But some of them can be really fun. I like the HowItShouldHaveEnded movie cartoons (look up HISHE) on YouTube and you can find Star Wars, Iron Man and more. Hunger Games, Terminator, and Batman are especially funny. And don't miss the ones where Superman goes to a coffee shop with Batman and reviews each Batman movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2012, 11:16 AM
I will only ask, how can one vote or support policies that adversely affect their class. I hope I'm a gazillionaire one day myself, but I can double-check with my bank and they'll tell me I'm not ;)

Meanwhile, private message me and tell me how Lincoln ends, as I don't think I can afford movie tickets right now. I guess I'm not poor, but editing my novel and attending writing conferences WILL cost more than I have anyway - on top of grad school auto re-registration, subscription and club renewals, etc. I can't really do Christmas shopping :(

But I've been disappointed to hear that Lincoln does not include big Civil War re-enactor battles. I do that and am even filmed for movies like Hatfields & McCoys as well as other History Channel and Military Channel stuff, and we work hard to have special effects coordinated with a well-rehersed performance staged before live audiences. We have real horses, wagons, and cannons, not to menion the use of real swords and guns.Without getting to Rancor Pit-y; if a person realizes that in order for all the society to improve, you cannot get everything you want, then that is why you support policies that seem to "hurt" you and your class. And not just to get a kick-back at some later date, either.

Well, the movie is more about the PERSON Lincoln and his policies, than the time period and fighting at that time. Gettysburg, or Glory, or even Gone With the Wind have more "action" scenes, and seem to put the individuals into that time's context.

bigbarada
11-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Without getting to Rancor Pit-y; if a person realizes that in order for all the society to improve, you cannot get everything you want, then that is why you support policies that seem to "hurt" you and your class. And not just to get a kick-back at some later date, either.

Yeah, it's the whole "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" thing. Which isn't really political since it can be applied to both sides of the argument.

Tycho
11-24-2012, 03:58 PM
I know we're treading on thin ground to stay appropriate for the topic but how I can the majority of society improve to bring all levels of society up with them? the masses are the customers in other words.

how to make it topical the freedom of the slaves encourage they're being more customers too.

when the slaves were freed they extended a lot of them credit so they would yet still be enslaved. not everyone has the noblest interests just for the sake of altruism of course.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Back on-topic, attempt #1: one of the political people in the film struggled with his hatred of slavery, but how to implement freedom and enfranchisement in reality. And, this was not a real consumer economy yet in the 1860s, even though it was capitalistic.

Back on-topic, attempt #2: does anyone know if recordings existed in the days of Lincoln? Had Edison invented such technology by then, did someone else do it, or had it not yet been intro'd? That is just the way I figured Abe would speak, as Mr. Day Lewis spoke, but I don't know why.

TeeEye7
11-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Red Tails

Oh, my....how disappointing!

OC47150
11-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Skyfall. Great Bond flick.

Bataan. Gotta love those old WWII movies made during the war. So politicially incorrect.

Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. Still fun.

bigbarada
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Watched Christine for the first time yesterday. As far as Stephen King movies go it was pretty good. I wouldn't go so far as to call it scary though. Could there possibly be anything LESS frightening than being chased by a gigantic car? All you have to do is get off the road.

Land of the Dead - another okay movie that wasn't really that scary. I didn't really care for how they tried to make the zombies into sympathetic characters and too much of the movie was tied up in the human characters trying to fight over control of some dumb vehicle that looked like a reject from a 1980s Sylvester Stallone movie.

Tycho
11-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I saw Christine for the first time myself not too long ago.

I noticed how Michael Bay borrowed elements from the movie for Bumblebee's character - the radio and the stalking (of Sam in TFs' case) - also the ability to repair herself.

It made me think Christine was a TF stuck in her alt-mode. She seemed a lot less scary than Barricade when the Decepticon cop car attacked Sam - and I wouldn't call TFs scary movies, but they did succeed in making the Decepticons threatening.

It just seemed like a natural comparison to Christine.

But overall, the story pacing was good and the plot flowed nicely. I can't remember how it ended any more though.

JimJamBonds
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Mad Men Season's I - IV. Pretty good, not great. As far as those types of shows goes my all time favorite still is Deadwood. Still, MM is pretty darn good.

OC47150
12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Okay, my weird tradition of watching war movies while putting up my Christmas tree continues. (Don't ask why).

* Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. Been a long time since I'd seen this one.

* Appointment in Berlin. British spy movie made during the way. Alan Napier, Alfred from 'Batman,' played an intelligence officer.

* Triumph of the Spirit. A supposedly true story about a Greek Jew who boxed at Auschwitz to entertain the Germans. Gonna research this story a little further.

bigbarada
12-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Watched The Hobbit tonight and was pretty impressed by it. In some ways, it was more of a kid's movie than the LOTR films, but in other ways it was actually a lot darker than those same films. I really have almost nothing negative to say about the film. If I really had to nitpick, though, then I'd say that some of the dwarfs didn't look dwarfish enough, especially Thorin. Other than that, everything about the movie was amazing. It was cool to see a more happy-go-lucky Gollum... relatively speaking of course.

I could definitely see the ZBrush influence on the CG models this time around too, because they were vastly improved over the already excellent models from the LOTR trilogy.

OC47150
12-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! Boy, what a stinker! But at least I can say I've watched it all the way through.

Tycho
12-16-2012, 12:59 AM
I saw Al Pachino in a 1985 movie Revolution: Revisited - about how many of our ancestors who fought for the Continental Army's militia at the birth of the United States of America were forced into service. It is not an idealistic picture of the birth of the USA at all.

Gives you a lot to think about. However, freedom from the King of England was a good thing no matter how you cut it.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Gives you a lot to think about. However, freedom from the King of England was a good thing no matter how you cut it.Well, unless you were England. Or the king. 'Of' was okay about it. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for school and finals to be over, to be bale to SEE some movies (Hobbit is the main one).

OC47150
12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Christmas Vacation. It's our tradition for the family to come over to my house, have dinner and yuck it up with the Griswolds every year.

Gremlins. I hate to admit this but I hadn't seen this movie before, and I've owned a copy for two years! Started watching it last night, and finished it today while I wrapped presents.

Gonna watch Jingle All the Way next! Might try to squeeze in A Christmas Story when I finish wrapping tomorrow.

TeeEye7
12-26-2012, 05:42 PM
OK, gang. Help me out here:

The relatives are still here and we're watching Fellowship of the Ring. My sister-in-law is not in favor of her nine-year-old son watching it because of the violence and "darkness" (whatever that means). My nephew has seen all the Harry Potter movies beginning at the tender age of six with her total blessing. I'm confused as to why LOTR is objectionable for the reasons above yet Harry Potter (just as violent and dark IMO) is not.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-26-2012, 06:16 PM

The relatives are still here and we're watching Fellowship of the Ring. My sister-in-law is not in favor of her nine-year-old son watching it because of the violence and "darkness" (whatever that means). My nephew has seen all the Harry Potter movies beginning at the tender age of six with her total blessing. I'm confused as to why LOTR is objectionable for the reasons above yet Harry Potter (just as violent and dark IMO) is not.
I was 11, just turning 12, when the first films in both series came out, and I saw both of them (and all their later sequels) and somehow turned out alright. Maybe it's because LOTR has swords and more "realistic" violence whereas HP kills folks with wands and magic, or the fact that LOTR shoots for a slightly older audience and HP often gets pegged as just kids' fluff when it really shouldn't be at all. But if the kid can handle all eight HP movies, he can definitely handle all three LOTR movies.

bigbarada
12-26-2012, 07:26 PM

The "darkness" would probably be in reference to all the evil characters, dark magic, demons (the Balrog), goblins, etc. Even though the film does have those elements, they are not portrayed in a positive way at all. In other words, they didn't try to make the traditionally evil characters hip or sexy or sympathetic or anything like that. LOTR is a pure, black-&-white, good vs. evil story.

I grew up in a pretty strict Baptist household and we weren't allowed to watch most movies or TV shows (for example, Bewitched was off limits because it portrayed witches in a humorous light, stuff like that). However, my parents never forbade us from reading books like LOTR or the Chronicles of Narnia series. My dad is actually a big fan of both film series' right now.

Even though I was pretty sheltered as a kid, I could say that I turned out alright as well... but then again, if I was crazy, I would probably be the last one to know. So maybe saying, "I turned out alright," is the first sign that I'm not alright. :crazed:

I could see the violence factor for young kids, with the beheadings, scary creatures, blood, etc., being a problem; but it's a PG-13 movie for a reason.

Personally, I have more reservations with a young child watching the Harry Potter series than I do LOTR. But that's because I believe themes like "There is no good and evil, there is only power," are much more dangerous to young minds than a little bit of blood and gore. At least with LOTR, there is no blurring of the lines between good and evil.

That's what I think made the original Star Wars trilogy as good as it was. The Prequels blurred the line between good and evil quite a bit and I think the story suffered for it.

That's just my opinion though. If I had kids of my own, I would definitely allow them to watch LOTR, but I wouldn't necessarily want them to see Harry Potter until we had a long talk about the subject matter of that story.

sith_killer_99
12-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Total Recall the remake, better than the original IMO.

Looper which was pretty good, worth watching at least once.

Resident Evil: Retribution, which I really enjoyed.

Doctor Who: The Snowmen, which will lead well into the next series. I really enjoyed this one, especially with the new character (or sorta new character).

Tycho
12-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I watched a CNN special about The First Christians. It documented how the New Testament came together after Jesus' crucifixion.

It was fascinating to learn there were a lot of different "Gospels," but starting actually 70 years after Jesus' death, they began to be collected. Now I forget whether it was Luke or John - but one of those two, which was added more than 150 years later.

Other Gospels were omitted. The Church (Eastern Orthodox) actually has original copies, and the Gnostic Gospels were recovered in Egypt, like the Dead Sea Scrolls were found to the north in Israel.

They could be suppressed at the time just by now transcribing them. But the church saved them. There were some very interesting discrepencies with the Gnostic Gospels versus the 4 widely accepted ones.

Also, Roman Emperor Constantine who might have been said to have publically become a Christian because his mother was, contributed evidence that he did not actually convert, but let Christianity spread to pacify rebellion in the Empire.
I had long speculated this, but now there is recorded evidence from his time that gives credit to this theory. Additionally, it did not pacify Constantine, who went on with his brutal executions and tortures that Roman Empeorors were famous for.

There was more about (what we all probably already know) December 25 was not likely Jesus' true birthday as well as evidence he was married to Mary Magdolene. The reason it was suppressed was moreso in order that Mary could keep property and legal rights and freedoms as a Roman citizen, and not be listed as the wife of a criminal conspirator. This situation was later used to weaken women's role in the church, which was initially strong like it can be today. But for a while, men ruled. (A long while.)

I watched The Passion of the Christ as well.

TeeEye7
12-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks to JJL and BigB for their input. Update on the situation: the Wii was fired up!

My son is about the same age as JJL and he's a swell kid, too, in spite of having seen the LOTR trilogy and HP starting at the same age.

I agree totally with BigB about LOTR vs. HP. I've had many more reservations about the HP films than LOTR. I was uneasy seeing school children breaking limbs from such things as riding brooms, going on quests, and up to and killing monsters and other creatures. It bothered me that school children had died under Hogwarts auspices, as well. With LOTR, the story is black and white just as BigB says. HP always kept me guessing (I'm a fan of both franchises, BTW).

I guess blasting things into oblivion with the Wii was the better choice (at least for my sister-in-law).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Personally, I have more reservations with a young child watching the Harry Potter series than I do LOTR. But that's because I believe themes like "There is no good and evil, there is only power," are much more dangerous to young minds than a little bit of blood and gore. At least with LOTR, there is no blurring of the lines between good and evil.

That's what I think made the original Star Wars trilogy as good as it was. The Prequels blurred the line between good and evil quite a bit and I think the story suffered for it.

That's just my opinion though. If I had kids of my own, I would definitely allow them to watch LOTR, but I wouldn't necessarily want them to see Harry Potter until we had a long talk about the subject matter of that story.
Have you seen (or perhaps more importantly, read) all of the Harry Potter series? I ask because I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they promote that "there is no good and evil, only power." There are still pretty strong distinctions between good and evil in the story. It's not always clear where some characters fit on that spectrum (but it's usually revealed in the end), and Harry worries about turning evil (which is a pretty common thing in stories like these - see Luke in ROTJ), but the series is clear that people are not born inherently good or bad but that their choices define them. Without verging into Rancor Pit territory, I know that extremely religious people have taken issue with the magic in the books (as well as things like the disobedience of authority and, presumably, the characters that don't fit a good-or-evil mold) but most people are able to see the good things that the books actually promote, like love and friendship being the greatest powers of all. (For the record, I've always been a much bigger fan of HP than LOTR - the books are much more fun to read and the movies are much more fun to watch, quite frankly.)

bigbarada
12-27-2012, 05:21 AM
I watched a CNN special about The First Christians. It documented how the New Testament came together after Jesus' crucifixion.

I don't know if I would put much stock in CNN's interpretation of events.

Have you seen (or perhaps more importantly, read) all of the Harry Potter series? I ask because I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they promote that "there is no good and evil, only power." There are still pretty strong distinctions between good and evil in the story. It's not always clear where some characters fit on that spectrum (but it's usually revealed in the end), and Harry worries about turning evil (which is a pretty common thing in stories like these - see Luke in ROTJ), but the series is clear that people are not born inherently good or bad but that their choices define them. Without verging into Rancor Pit territory, I know that extremely religious people have taken issue with the magic in the books (as well as things like the disobedience of authority and, presumably, the characters that don't fit a good-or-evil mold) but most people are able to see the good things that the books actually promote, like love and friendship being the greatest powers of all. (For the record, I've always been a much bigger fan of HP than LOTR - the books are much more fun to read and the movies are much more fun to watch, quite frankly.)

I watched the first movie and parts of what I assume was the third movie. I enjoyed them for the most part, but I've never read the books. I've always considered Harry Potter to be a lesser version of Chronicles of Narnia and I consider Chronicles of Narnia to be a lesser version of LOTR. So, I've really just never had much of an opinion of the HP movies for good or bad. I might get around to watching them all someday.

If I had kids, I wouldn't necessarily forbid them from watching Harry Potter, but I would want to talk with them first because I wouldn't want them to think that witchcraft and sorcery were things they could dabble in without serious consequences.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2012, 02:57 PM
My dad has refused to watch or read any HP films or books because of the witchcraft aspect. It's like some of the novels taught in our district; sure, they have some objectionable parts, but those aren't what the book is ABOUT. LOTR and HP aren't just ABOUT sorcery, wars, and witchcraft. They use those ideas to talk about (SPOILER alert :rolleyes: ) themes of friendship, overcoming obstacles, personal strength, knowledge, good OVER evil, etc.

Tycho
12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't know if I would put much stock in CNN's interpretation of events.

If I had kids, I wouldn't necessarily forbid them from watching Harry Potter, but I would want to talk with them first because I wouldn't want them to think that witchcraft and sorcery were things they could dabble in without serious consequences.

I heard of an academic study, or perhaps it was a gallup poll, or one done from one of the other big national polling companies.

Anyway, it was an objective poll - just about factual current events - maybe things like "Where as Osama Bin Laden killed?" Or "Has Curiosity found evidence of water and conditions for simple single cell life to have existed on Mars?" That sort of thing.

They said Fox News viewers were the least accurately informed. And we know MS-NBC is biased media.

It leaves CNN right in the middle, of objective reporting, or at least seemingly moreso than the other major national news networks.

Local affiliates might not have the funding for any of these larger special episodic coverages of certain issues.

But for the most part, CNN doesn't have time to report on "hauntings, evidence of UFOs, and other supernatural occurences." The Sci-Fy Channel has its niche there.

Now I'm not a Harry Potter fan. I never made time for it. However, I am just not a believer. If kids wanted to read from "a spell book" and try to be "evil magicians" or something - let them. Absolutely nothing is going to happen except they will see that they're wasting their time.

I have been trying to use the Dark Side of the Force ever since I was a child so that I might commit untraceable murders and advance politically through assasination by Force chokes and Dark Side Lightning. I have thus far been unsuccessful. A real lightsaber would also be an untraceable weapon. With the Force, I could disable security cameras and motion detectors, or even cause the roofing or whole building to collapse on those I'd want to destroy so that I could assume ultimate power (if I could not use mind tricks to effectively suggest they grant me ultimate power).

Darn it, BigB - I have been trying to become complete "evil" in that sense ever since I first realized just how powerful a Dark Side adept could be. I don't think children reading from a "forbidden book (of falsehoods)" is going to let them become sorcerors. If I could only obtain the power, I'd have done so and ended homelessness, poverty, instituted birth control and mid-level economic education, socialized certain manufacturing and service sectors, and forced reforms to our democracy, and established it world wide, to institute the transition back to self-governance following my bried dictatorship (because I can't be the full-time dictator for too long or I'll miss a lot of baseball seasons, since if I had real power, I'd actually be using it and not serving myself).

Nevertheless, my attempts to become a real weilder of the Dark Side of the Force have thus far failed. I cannot have a clone army of warriors in their 20-somethings without waiting 20 more years for them to mature, and my Death Star is made out of Lego blocks, remains incomplete, and is not likely spaceworthy.

I do not fear socery, voodoo, other kinds of magic etc. If it worked, I'd get myself trained - and institute better public transit and a new monetary system, too. My list of things I'd do with temporary dictator powers goes on and on.

But it's not happening.

The most I can do is generate static electricty from my fingers if I rub my hair with a balloon while standing on clean carpeting.

Have you EVER seen a Dark Lord, Nazi or Communist dictator, warlock or other kind of admirable leader-like person running around rubbing a balloon on their head?

I don't know. If Fidel Castro tried it, I think whatever it would do to his beard would be funny, nevertheless.

JimJamBonds
12-28-2012, 12:03 PM
The Dark Knight Rises, rather long in the tooth and kinda pointless.

sith_killer_99
12-28-2012, 04:29 PM

THIS! Times eleventy billion.

OC47150
12-28-2012, 07:43 PM

When my niece and nephew were smaller (they're now 14 and 11), the Lord of the Rings movies were the only way they'd travel from Indianapolis to the grandparents' house in southern Indiana. They'd watch half the movie on the way down, the rest on the way home.

My brother and sis-in-law didn't let the kids see the crispy Anakin scenes at the end of Sith for quite some time. They considered that more disturbing than anything in Mordor.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Life of Pi. Very good, excellent use of music and effects, kept me guessing about what would happen (pretty good for a film about a shipwreck deep at sea). Now I guess I have to read the book.

JimJamBonds
12-29-2012, 02:12 PM
THIS! Times eleventy billion.I mean I get the idea of messing with people to give them hope before destroying Gothem....but blahh. And those shenanigans at the football game was just plain silly....and what did Catwoman actually do? Ohh thats right nothing.

Tycho
12-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Catwoman got on the Batbike and the camera stopped for a rear view. Best scene of the whole movie!

That's what Anne Hathaway err....or...Catwoman did.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
After a cool 1-hour Williams/Spielberg collaboration special, Amistad. Had never seen it before; surprised the actual event isn't more historically known, considering its impact.

JimJamBonds
12-31-2012, 08:04 PM
After a cool 1-hour Williams/Spielberg collaboration special, Amistad. Had never seen it before; surprised the actual event isn't more historically known, considering its impact.I'm guessing that is an attempt to limit the exposure of Matthew Mcconaughey.

sith_killer_99
12-31-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm guessing that is an attempt to limit the exposure of Matthew Mcconaughey.

Why would you want to do that? He's one of my favorite actors in Hollywood today. :razz:

Lord Malakite
01-02-2013, 04:31 AM
Just finished seeing Looper and A Christmas Story 2. Story wise Looper was a good movie, though it left me a bit distracted from the main story while pondering the whole time travel aspect of it. I'm still left wondering how the mafia from the future was able to get into contact with their present day mafia counterparts to set up these time travel hits in the first place. Also enjoyed A Christmas Story 2. Not as good as the original A Christmas Story, but surprisingly not bad for a "Direct-to-DVD" film. About 15,000 times better than that other sequel, It Runs in the Family (aka My Summer Story).

JimJamBonds
01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Also, why does Bane sound like a cross between General Greveious and an Englishman? Granted that is tons better then the last time Bane showed up on the big screen.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Finally made it to see Les Miserables. I'd heard both glowing reviews and harsh criticisms of it; I found it excellent. Just like the stage production I saw at the Pantages theater, I couldn't make it through with dry eyes. :cry: I thought I would be distracted with the sing-all-the-words, but the actors knew when to change their tone at the right times. It sure deserves whatever awards it gets.

Snowtrooper
01-03-2013, 08:47 PM
My wife has really been wanting to see this. She's always been a big fan of the play so I might have to take her out to see it.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2013, 09:03 PM
I had also heard of many crowds clapping at the end; ours did not. But one of the theater employees with a red flashlight kept wandering around the exits during the show, for some reason.

And, I wonder if Amonate, VA (home of zip code 24601, which is also Jean Valjean's prisoner number) does any Les Mis stuff.

Tycho
01-06-2013, 11:38 PM
You don't mess with the Zohan!

Dude I am laughing so hard watching this!

The top Israeli secret service assassin agent becomes a hairdresser in New York and probably is going to fall for this gorgeous Palestinian babe! I think the actress playing her was on the shield and she is hot!

Meanwhile I am laughing so hard. I don't watch a lot of comedy and I so needed this.

LTBasker
01-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Recently watched movies...

Taken 2 -

I wasn't expecting much at all from it, but I did expect the adventure of it to be as enjoyable as the first one turned out to be. Unfortunately it was just as unnecessary as I thought it was. The first mistake was trying to make the motivation for the villains deeper than just their comrades were killed with a lost family angle. Taken made sure that the villains in it were utterly despicable, so the attempt to add a family honor angle to the new villain's motivation was completely unnecessary and just came across as a weak attempt to tread deeper than the franchise had been intended for. On the protagonist side, Neeson's character never came across as being in danger, nor his daughter - you could practically see the script's clause dictate not to repeat abducting the daughter. The wife got the worst of it, but it was still pretty tame compared to what the daughter went through in the first one. Throughout Taken I was intrigued with how they managed to take Neeson's character through the levels of the ugly underworld he had to trudge through, but I was just bored watching Taken 2. They made Neeson's character too capable and paired him with a villain that never seemed threatening, just making for a movie lacking in any creativity.

The Bourne Legacy -

Based on reactions on here and another message board, I wasn't expected to enjoy this one but wanted to see it anyway since I enjoyed the previous trilogy. I was pleasantly surprised to find Legacy to be very enjoyable. It's not nearly as great as any of the Bourne movies, but it does have a few attributes that makes it stand out on its own and I really enjoyed that it wasn't just treated as an after-the-fact spinoff. The way they had it tie into the events of the entire Jason Bourne trilogy was really well done and didn't come off as forced. My only complaint is that the final chase scene went on too long without anything really special to it, and eventually ended on a flat note.

Dredd -

Despite not being a well done movie, I do have fond memories of the Stallone Dredd movie with it at least being fun. Mostly a guilty pleasure. So, I wasn't sure what to expect with this version and my watching it was more reluctant than anything. BUT! I enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't a great movie, but it was well done and they did a very good job with establishing the atmosphere of the world with obviously a very limited budget. The action was limited but often unexpected, such as the gattling guns mowing down an entire block and the shock of it made it all the more interesting. What really sold me was Anderson's development through the movie, though. She goes from an optimistic rookie to scarred and cynical by the end, and it's presented that such a transformation isn't tragic but rather normal. That, to me, was the best way to depict the dystopia that Dredd takes place in. Good movie.

Pitch Perfect -

The trailers on TV really give a much different idea than the full trailers you can find online, and I wasn't sure if I still wanted to see it after watching a full trailer. But, a friend watched it and told me it was very funny with some unexpected humor. So, I gave it a watch and found that it turned out to be much better than I expected, I was worried it would be some sort of annoying fluffiness of Glee levels. Instead, it reminded me of a mix of Dodgeball and the first Bring It On - but it found a healthy balance between the two. It didn't take its concept too seriously, but it also didn't treat it so lightly that the characters are just walking gimmicks. They're actually characters, and they're actually interesting. It was a very good comedy and although it does adhere to some cliches for such a movie, particularly the ending, it also sidesteps expected ones and does its own thing. I recommend it.

Cloud Atlas -

I'm very torn on different aspects about the movie, but overall I enjoyed it. I don't have too much to comment on because I'm still trying to really decipher my feelings on the timelines and how they fit together, but my only major complaint with the movie is that the editing gets confusing, and the valley people's language got on my nerves. I understand the motivation to have the broken english language, but it was so difficult to get used to and generally sounded too silly. It really ruined the mood that the movie was often trying to present, especially whenever they had to say "true true" - it just makes me think of "roger, roger" and it makes me unhappy. And, as much as I like Tom Hanks, I think the movie got a little too heavy with his prominent usage in the various eras. Fortunately he was only modestly used in the futuristic Korea, which was the era I most enjoyed the depiction of. Possibly because it reminded me of The Fifth Element in some scenes.

bigbarada
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Trouble with the Curve - I didn't think I'd like it because I'm not usually a fan of sports movies, but it was actually really good and didn't really focus on the game of baseball as much as I feared it would. The whole "old-school guy vs. high-tech computer-savvy jerk" plot line was more than a little predictable, but overall the movie is something that I would conceivably watch again at some point.

Magic Mike - yes, I'm secure enough in my manhood to be able to watch a movie about male strippers. Although I was a bit terrified when the movie opened with Matthew Mcconaughey and I was slightly sickened by the notion that he might show up naked at some point in the movie. Fortunately, he never stripped down further than a thong, even though that was more than I ever wanted to see of him. As for Channing Tatum, it's really hard to tell if he is a really good actor doing a great job of playing a stripper who can barely form complete sentences, or if he is a horrible actor who looks good on camera, so they just edit together his incoherent, stuttering dialogue as best they can. I think I just need to stop expecting to see well-written dialogue or compelling characters in movies about strippers.

El Chuxter
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Taken 2

"I still don't know who you are or what you want, but if you don't return my daughter this time, I will find you again, and I will kill you again." :D

bigbarada
01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Cloud Atlas -

I'm very torn on different aspects about the movie, but overall I enjoyed it. I don't have too much to comment on because I'm still trying to really decipher my feelings on the timelines and how they fit together, but my only major complaint with the movie is that the editing gets confusing, and the valley people's language got on my nerves. I understand the motivation to have the broken english language, but it was so difficult to get used to and generally sounded too silly. It really ruined the mood that the movie was often trying to present, especially whenever they had to say "true true" - it just makes me think of "roger, roger" and it makes me unhappy. And, as much as I like Tom Hanks, I think the movie got a little too heavy with his prominent usage in the various eras. Fortunately he was only modestly used in the futuristic Korea, which was the era I most enjoyed the depiction of. Possibly because it reminded me of The Fifth Element in some scenes.

Is this movie out on DVD yet? It's on my short list of "movies that I really want to see, but not enough that I'm willing to go to a theater to see them." Life of Pi and Les Miserables are on that list too.

LTBasker
01-08-2013, 03:31 PM
"I still don't know who you are or what you want, but if you don't return my daughter this time, I will find you again, and I will kill you again." :D

"And if you take my ex-wife... Well, I'll be mildly inconvenienced and forced to kinda wander around your compound killing your associates before I reluctantly return to see if she's not completely dead yet from bleeding out. I repeat, I will be WANDERING AROUND and she will be ALONE. My EX-WIFE will be ALONE after I make sure my daughter is alright. So... ya know, she'll be ALONE because I WON'T be around. Just putting that out there. But yeah, leave my daughter alone plz, kthxbye."

"Hi, me again. Still fuzzy on who you are but definitely sure my EX-WIFE will be ALONE because I'll be with my daughter - whoyoudefinitelycannottouch - elsewhere not paying attention. At all. Ex-wife. Alone. Bye."

Is this movie out on DVD yet? It's on my short list of "movies that I really want to see, but not enough that I'm willing to go to a theater to see them." Life of Pi and Les Miserables are on that list too.

Not yet, and I'm not sure any dates have been announced. It just finally hit a somewhat-local theater that still has pretty cheap matinees. The visuals are certainly worth hitting up a matinee for, but aside from the few minutes in the future Korea segments you won't be missing much if you have a decent TV.

Tycho
01-09-2013, 11:20 AM
BigB, I have a girlfriend that wants to watch Trouble With the Curve with me.

Is this a "date movie?" Or could it be in the very casual sense of the term?

I'm (as you're aware) a person that thinks baseball is the meaning of life. I don't want to get carried away with that in front of anyone I'd be embarassed by my fandom (I saw Money Ball by myself because I started crying, thinking about my Padres and how evil the New York Yankees really are).

bigbarada
01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
BigB, I have a girlfriend that wants to watch Trouble With the Curve with me.

Is this a "date movie?" Or could it be in the very casual sense of the term?

I'm (as you're aware) a person that thinks baseball is the meaning of life. I don't want to get carried away with that in front of anyone I'd be embarassed by my fandom (I saw Money Ball by myself because I started crying, thinking about my Padres and how evil the New York Yankees really are).

The movie focuses more on the relationship between Clint Eastwood's character and Amy Adams' character. Justin Timberlake is in there as the love interest, but that's almost a secondary plot line. It's a movie about a woman with absentee father-issues first, a baseball movie second and a love story third. That's probably the best way I can describe it. Another way to put it would be that it's a baseball movie in the same way that 'Jerry Macguire' is a football movie.

Tycho
01-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Thanks. That helps a lot. Actually seems like I always meet girls with "daddy issues." My friend will like it. :rolleyes:

The baseball thing will thrill me of course.

bigbarada
01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks. That helps a lot. Actually seems like I always meet girls with "daddy issues." My friend will like it. :rolleyes:

The baseball thing will thrill me of course.

So, she'll be the one crying and you'll be there to comfort her. ;)

OC47150
01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
The Hobbit. Finally got to see it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Since I re-read the book in the last few years, I found myself thinking, okay, this wasn't in the book. I do know Jackson pulled from a lot of sources. Part 2 will be interesting to watch.

X-15. About an Air Force experimental plane. Not bad. Used a lot of Air Force footage.

Master of the World. Vincent Price as a mad genius (is there any other) who used a balloon aircraft to strike at warring nations. Based on Jules Verne novel.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2013, 08:50 AM
On AMC last night, they had several Laurel and Hardy shorts (which are quite slapticky funny), but also followed up by the same (mostly) film... in Spanish. And not dubbed, but spoken by all the actors, including L&H! :eek: :pleased: But since I came in watched the Spanish version first, I was mucho confundido. Did get to see Politiquerías (the Spanish version of Chickens Come Home, of which I was completely confused, not knowing that language detail), Blotto and then La Vida Nocturna. Apparently, there was no dubbing-over technology in the '30s, or at least not any affordable ones; it was easier for a while to simply RE-SHOOT THE ENTIRE FILM, SCENE-BY-SCENE with new fluent actors/actresses and had the Spanish lines offstage on chalk boards. :eek: :D Let's just say, Stan and Ollie didn't have the most authentic accents. ;) Still, I was LOL-ing through much of the 15 minutes or so each.

bigbarada
01-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Last night I watched Stanley Kubrick's Lolita on TCM, which was considered un-filmable back in 1962 because of its subject matter, but isn't even as sexually explicit as your average primetime TV drama these days. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Also saw the Gregory Peck version of Moby Dick. Pretty good effects considering when it was made.

Quo Vadis about Emperor Nero and the burning of Rome. A massive film considering when it was made (1951) and still an unbelievably large production even by today's standards. Apparently they built a life size recreation of Rome that spanned 4 blocks then burned it all down. Of course, now all of that would be done in the computer. It still holds the record for the most costumes used in one film at over 32,000. I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of the events portrayed; but it was pretty entertaining.

JimJamBonds
01-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith. I think everybody on this site knows what it is about.

bigbarada
01-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith. I think everybody on this site knows what it is about.

Sounds vaguely familiar. Doesn't it have that guy from Trainspotting in it?

JetsAndHeels
01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
My step-son received 2 movies for Christmas this year: The Amazing Spider-Man and The Three Stooges.

I'll just say I enjoyed Spider-Man.

Tycho
01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Taken 3 has just been announced.

This time Liam Neeson is in a movie about making a movie, portraying his own story about finding his missing daughter and ex-wife, and both he and the director LOSE THEIR $#@%ing MINDS.

They are probably being held hostage by too much greed, alcohol, and a mixture of highly potent drugs. But that information has not been officially confirmed yet.

However, there will be a special appearance by Charlie Sheen who tries to rescue them, fails, and then Lindsey Lohan attempts the same. But ultimately (and predictably) this movie is a tragedy.

Schumacher will probably direct.

TeeEye7
01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
My step-son received 2 movies for Christmas this year: The Amazing Spider-Man and The Three Stooges.

I'll just say I enjoyed Spider-Man.

No love for the Stooges, J&H? Why I oughta......;)

Tycho
01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
There are also plans for Taken 4!

This one is about all the people who lost their money watching Taken 3.

JetsAndHeels
01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
No love for the Stooges, J&H? Why I oughta......;)

I do like the Stooges, but just the original stuff. There were only about 2 parts in the movie that actually made me laugh.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2013, 08:41 PM
There are also plans for Taken 4!

This one is about all the people who lost their money watching Taken 3.Or, they just over-dubbed Leonard Part 6, plus more explosions.

TeeEye7
01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I do like the Stooges, but just the original stuff. There were only about 2 parts in the movie that actually made me laugh.

I agree. Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. Either they mess with things they shouldn't or prolong failed first efforts with never-ending sequels (Rocky XXIV anyone?).

El Chuxter
01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
There is no Three Stooges movie. No matter what Hollywood says.

Tycho
01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
I have recorded and am watching Hillary Clinton testifying on Benghazi, Libya.

The movie's really cool. If you suspend your belief, you can actually imagine the United States Senate is doing something important in this picture.

JimJamBonds
01-25-2013, 09:47 PM
I have recorded and am watching Hillary Clinton testifying on Benghazi, Libya.

The movie's really cool. If you suspend your belief, you can actually imagine the United States Senate is doing something important in this picture.

Is that where she went crazy and avoided answering questions? Kind of a sad show imjo.:upset:

Tycho
01-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Is that where she went crazy and avoided answering questions? Kind of a sad show imjo.:upset:

I think you're mistaking just one scene with the whole script :D

OC47150
01-28-2013, 01:48 PM
One for the Money (2012). Okay, I'm not a Katherine Heigl fan, but I've been reading the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum books for a while now. I wanted to see how the movie compared to the book. It was enjoyable, and Heigl did a decent job portraying Plum. Too bad I don't think there will be any others since the movie bombed.

The Black Cat (1934). Karloff the Great and Legosi on the screen together again! This was Universal's biggest grossing movie for 1934, and one of the first movies to have a soundtrack for the entire movie. One of the leads, David Manners, was in Dracula and the Mummy, but got bored with acting and quit the business shortly thereafter. I thought about this while watching: Karloff is described as a devil cultist. For the 1930s, that's pretty bold since thinking was a lot more stringest then than today. It doesn't delve too deeply into the subject matter, but still that's pretty bold.

TeeEye7
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Full Metal Jacket

Well...sort of. After boot camp, this movie really tanks IMO, so I go on to other things. It's as if it's two separate movies. I always wonder what Kubrick was thinking....

bigbarada
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Full Metal Jacket

Well...sort of. After boot camp, this movie really tanks IMO, so I go on to other things. It's as if it's two separate movies. I always wonder what Kubrick was thinking....

I always enjoy movies that start out as one movie and end as a completely different movie. It's never really successful, but I do enjoy the attempts. Outside of Full Metal Jacket, it's also been tried with From Dusk Till Dawn and kinda sorta with Lost Highway (if you count changing the actor who plays the main character in the middle of the movie with no explanation).

It kind of reminds me of when I'm watching movies on TV and I fall asleep watching one movie and wake up while a different movie is playing. However, I don't initially realize that it's a new movie, so my mind, still in a half-asleep state, starts working overtime trying to reconcile what I saw before taking a nap with what I'm watching after the nap. This actually happened last Sunday when I fell asleep watching a movie about nuns (with Audrey Hepburn) and woke up watching a movie about a Navy cargo ship during WW2. lol

Anyways, I watched Django Unchained last Friday night. Pretty good movie. Kind of a revenge flick like Inglorious Basterds, but with almost a self-parodying level of graphic violence. It did bring up some interesting questions about slavery.

JimJamBonds
02-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Full Metal Jacket

I agree, its like 2 totally different films (that happen to have a couple of the same guys in it).

As for myself: Trouble with the curve. The baseball part was sort of an anti Moneyball type thing. I thought Clint and Amy were great but come on, Justin Timberlake was a flame throwing pitcher? Maybe they could cast him as a Greg Maddux type but not a guy who could throw 100.

OC47150
02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Black Sunday and Two-Minute Warning. My Super Bowl weekend viewing tradition continues. I really enjoyed this year's Two-Minute Warning viewing.

Argo. A good solid movie. It was a fast two hours.

bigbarada
02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I've watching a bunch of good classic films on TCM. I just watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane yesterday, which is pretty creepy considering when it was made. I think there are some scenes that are only scary because the movie is in black and white. It would lose so much impact if it was in color.

Also, The Bride of Frankenstein which is the first time I've seen it since I was about 10 years old. I definitely did not remember the whole blind monk scene, but I now know exactly what they were spoofing in Young Frankenstein. I'm not sure if that scene was supposed to be touching or frightening in Bride, but I kept finding myself laughing at it because of Mel Brooks's parody version. :D

Darth Metalmute
02-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Just watched the 30 Rock Series finale. In the last scene, you can see a Cloud Car whiz by.

TeeEye7
02-10-2013, 03:34 PM
The Three Faces of Eve with Joanne Woodward.

Nice, since it was one of the few times I've seen it in its entirety. AMC has started its "30 Days of Oscar" stint prior to the self-serving event.

JimJamBonds
02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Mad Men Season V. Since nobody responded to my thread about the show I won't bother with a recap.

OC47150
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
The Long Goodbye. Robert Altman's version of a Raymond Chandler novel starring Elliott Gould as Phillip Marlowe. I'd heard/read good things about this movie for a while and finally caught it. Thought it was so-so. Wish I had a buck for every cigarette Gould lit up in the movie.

Battlestar Galactic: Blood and Chrome. This telemovie reminded me of how great the show was and how much I miss it.

bigbarada
02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
I decided to check out the over-hyped new shows on AMC tonight.

Walking Dead: Black & White: an obvious ploy to cash in on the show's popularity, but I actually enjoyed watching the pilot episode in black and white. It kind of added to the creepiness factor of the story. Kind of like a really intense episode of the original Outer Limits. However, the novelty wore off quickly by the time the second episode came on.

Comic Book Men: not really a new show either, but I really do enjoy it and this latest episode managed to mix two of my all-time favorite things: comic books and UFC. So it was a good episode.

Freakshow: strangely enough, it was a little on the dull side. Some of the gimmicks like sword-swallowing and fire-eating are neat the first time you watch them, but they lose their impact unless you watch them live and after you've seen it once, then the wow-factor diminishes significantly after each viewing.

Immortalized: this probably gets my vote for one of the worst new shows on TV. It was painful to watch right from the first few minutes. I did watch the whole episode because I've always been fascinated by taxidermy and was interested to see more of the process of how it was done. Instead we got several minutes of pointless hyping up of "legendary" taxidermists that I have absolutely never heard of and a lot of silly pro-wrestling type of trash-talking between the competitors. Horrible.

JimJamBonds
02-16-2013, 09:57 PM
The Hatfields & The Mccoys and also Here Comes The Boom. One was funny but I don't think that is what they were going for, and the other wasn't all that funny but again, I doubt that is what they were going for.

JimJamBonds
03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Silver Linings Playbook. Pretty good, I thought Jennifer Lawrence was great, even Bradley Cooper was good.

Tycho
03-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Hmmm. I'm going to see Bradley Cooper as Faceman in The A-Team movie soon.

I'm watching all my A-Team DVD collection and finally on Season 5.

This is the best one yet. They do "Crystal Skull" and Secret Agent Murdock, H.M. Murdock, 007.

It's the best season of The A-Team yet - when they work for General Stockwell and are unofficial agents of the C.I.A.

I wished The A-Team TV show had continued past 1987 with at least another season when they were with the intelligence agency.

BTW: nowadays we made a big deal out of torture and waterboarding. Did you know The A-Team did that on a regular basis on a kid's show? Yeah, they burned a guy under scalding water in a hotel shower and hung guys upside down while they interrogated them, as well as waterboarded them and it was shown on prime time TV.

bigbarada
03-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Hmmm. I'm going to see Bradley Cooper as Faceman in The A-Team movie soon.

I'm watching all my A-Team DVD collection and finally on Season 5.

This is the best one yet. They do "Crystal Skull" and Secret Agent Murdock, H.M. Murdock, 007.

It's the best season of The A-Team yet - when they work for General Stockwell and are unofficial agents of the C.I.A.

I wished The A-Team TV show had continued past 1987 with at least another season when they were with the intelligence agency.

BTW: nowadays we made a big deal out of torture and waterboarding. Did you know The A-Team did that on a regular basis on a kid's show? Yeah, they burned a guy under scalding water in a hotel shower and hung guys upside down while they interrogated them, as well as waterboarded them and it was shown on prime time TV.

I don't think people were as sensitive about that stuff back then. Personally, I have no problems with putting our wartime enemies through a bit of physical discomfort or emotional trauma as long as it saves American lives on the battlefield. If it's done in a wartime context and it's not causing permanent physical injury, then I don't really classify it as torture.

Anyways, I watched Identity Thief last night. It's actually pretty funny in parts. I thought the dynamic between Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy worked really well. There is a lot of very vulgar humor, though, so it's rated R for a reason (as a warning to any parents thinking it will be okay to take their kids to). The only thing I didn't like about it was that it seemed to send the message that it's okay to steal from a person, as long as that person is rich AND a jerk. It also basically explained how to steal someone's identity and get away with it, which helped to set up the movie, but is probably going to make it much easier for people to do this in the real world.

Tycho
03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Well listen, I just stole Donald Trump's car and I need a place to lie low. Can I stash it at your place, BigB? ;)

We can take turns driving it.

Meanwhile, I don't have a problem with the waterboarding etc. either when it's used to stop irreversible attacks. To be fair, it does cause permanent PTSD.

OC47150
03-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Heaven's Gate. Damn, that's a long movie. I had a cold and nothing to do one afternoon and it was on the DVR. The action really didn't kick in until after the intermission, and that was a good 2, 2 1/2 hours into it. The premise was interesting, but I had to wonder how much stuff could've been eliminated to make it a better movie?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-20-2013, 06:20 PM
According to my ticket stub, I saw Oz: the Great and Po, which I guess was true, since all he wanted was mo' money, mo' money, mo' money! I found it fun but quite predictable. James Franco has just one look, as an actor. Didn't pay mo' money for the 3-D.

bigbarada
03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Well listen, I just stole Donald Trump's car and I need a place to lie low. Can I stash it at your place, BigB? ;)

We can take turns driving it.

Meanwhile, I don't have a problem with the waterboarding etc. either when it's used to stop irreversible attacks. To be fair, it does cause permanent PTSD.

I dunno, I was planning to vote for Trump if he ran for President, so I might turn you in. However, if you stole Al Gore's car and needed a place to stash it, then I'm your guy. :p

You know what else causes PTSD? Wars that go on too long because we're concerned about the civil rights of people who only want to kill Americans. So, I'm not really concerned about traumatizing a few enemy combatants if it saves American lives.

bigbarada
03-20-2013, 07:34 PM
According to my ticket stub, I saw Oz: the Great and Po, which I guess was true, since all he wanted was mo' money, mo' money, mo' money! I found it fun but quite predictable. James Franco has just one look, as an actor. Didn't pay mo' money for the 3-D.

I really don't understand why James Franco keeps getting cast in movies. I guess the camera loves him, but he has absolutely no range as an actor.

Tycho
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
You know what else causes PTSD? Wars that go on too long because we're concerned about the civil rights of people who only want to kill Americans. So, I'm not really concerned about traumatizing a few enemy combatants if it saves American lives.

The people want to be free. Some cute girls from Saudi Arabia moved in to my apartment complex. They love living like American girls of course.

It's not "the people" that are our enemy over there. It's those that stand to lose power by not enforcing their fundamentalism.

But I know you know that. It's the militants that hide amongst civilians as has been done to us since the Vietnam War...

But we did that to the British in 1776. You saw "The Patriot," when the Brits killed Benjamin Martin's son and were going to hang the other one (Heath Ledger's character). ["Do you want to know how I got these scars?"]

Meanwhile, I'm watching a movie about different American heroes: in Apollo 13. Great movie. Now I own it, so I've seen it half a dozen times, but I really enjoy it anyway.

This is not Apollo 18 when they find aliens (that's fictional).

In TRUTH, Neil Armstrong discovered Sentinel Prime and started a war with the Transformers.

bigbarada
03-21-2013, 05:40 PM
The people want to be free. Some cute girls from Saudi Arabia moved in to my apartment complex. They love living like American girls of course.

It's not "the people" that are our enemy over there. It's those that stand to lose power by not enforcing their fundamentalism.

But I know you know that. It's the militants that hide amongst civilians as has been done to us since the Vietnam War...

I'm mainly referring to the enemy combatants captured on the battlefield, not the civilians. Sure, sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference, but other times it's not so hard. I think we need to trust the judgement of our troops on the ground and allow them to discern who is a bad guy and who's not.

Anyways, I watched 2010 last night. I'd seen it before when I was in high school, probably 1987 or 1988, and I remember really enjoying it back then. Most likely because it had a similar storytelling style as Star Trek:TNG. I still enjoyed it the second time around. I definitely like it more than 2001, which I've never really been a fan of.

It was also fun to kind of compare where Arthur C. Clarke thought we would be in 2010 and where we actually were in 2010. In most ways, we were way behind that movie, but in some ways we are actually way ahead of it (primarily the computer interfaces and video technology).

Tycho
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I agree with what you posted above BigBarada.

Yeah, 2010 was more exciting than 2010.

Also, in terms of the space program, we're trying to get the financing together to go to Mars.

Jupiter is a lot further.

The question is how important is space exploration to our society?

1) We could get Bruce Willis to an asteroid to stop it from hitting the earth and causing our mass extinction. - Deep space exploration not necessary for this.

2) We could colonize another planet in our system for scientific and "creation origin" research. This could uncover concrete proof of something that negates religious doctrine that people are causing very dangerous wars over - but they probably wouldn't listen if their religion brings them power over the ignorant. (This is not a case for atheism, or agnosticism, but against fundamentalist absolutism.) We could also learn what it would take to terraform an evironment that could sustain us off earth. (for long-run usefulness).

3) We might find medicinal minerals on other planets in our solar system or precious gems that could deflate our currency and account for some social justice here at home.

4) We could take steps to prepare ourselves to leave earth in case our sun dies or our planet becomes uninhabitable. Those we'd learn how to grow food in space on a star cruiser or terraform when we can reach a better location than Mars or a moon of Jupiter - as maybe something in our own solar system would not be an option.

5) we could learn how to make space based weapons in order to defend the earth.

6) We might find new energy sources or a way to harness more solar power.

I'd say these things probably have to be handled simulatneaously with other problems here on earth: poverty, starvation, conservation, climate change, problems with political and religious absolutism, drug addiction, etc.

Do you think the space program is worthy? Should more or less resources be committed to it today? What about in 10-15 years if we can resolve some of our deficit issues?

bigbarada
03-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Yeah, 2010 was more exciting than 2010.

So are you agreeing that the movie 2010 was better than the movie 2001, but just mistyped 2001? Or are you agreeing that the movie 2010 was better than the actual year 2010? :P

2) We could colonize another planet in our system for scientific and "creation origin" research. This could uncover concrete proof of something that negates religious doctrine that people are causing very dangerous wars over - but they probably wouldn't listen if their religion brings them power over the ignorant. (This is not a case for atheism, or agnosticism, but against fundamentalist absolutism.) We could also learn what it would take to terraform an evironment that could sustain us off earth. (for long-run usefulness).

But you'd also have to be ready for the possibility that the evidence would be just as likely to negate evolutionary doctrine. If not, then you are approaching the evidence with a personal bias and just forcing a pseudo-scientific form of fundamentalist absolutism upon people.

Although, it sound more like you are saying that if everybody was forced to believe in one theory for the origin of the universe and no one was allowed to disagree with that, then we'd have no more wars. Well of course we wouldn't, but that's because we would be living in a planet-wide dictatorship, not a free society. People should be allowed to decide for themselves what to believe.

Tycho
03-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Yeah I meant the movie 2010 was better than the movie 2001.

Because of the year the San Diego Padres had in 2010 it was also better than the movie 2010.

I'm not sure what being prepared for creationism to be proven means.

Intelligent designs by itself doesn't prove there was a single God and not Gods plural.

It also doesn't prove a creator or creators were immortal all knowing beings. Or that they have power such that prayer could be made effective.

Then if all that were also proven true by science or other ways of finding facts it doesn't make it certain that this proves doctrine is true.

Meanwhile I watched Goldfinger perhaps the best James Bond movie

JimJamBonds
03-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Argo, A Company of Hero's, Skyfall and something else that escapes me at the moment.

My 1 word reviews are: Good, crap, decent.