PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18

bigbarada
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure what being prepared for creationism to be proven means.

Intelligent designs by itself doesn't prove there was a single God and not Gods plural.

It also doesn't prove a creator or creators were immortal all knowing beings. Or that they have power such that prayer could be made effective.

Then if all that were also proven true by science or other ways of finding facts it doesn't make it certain that this proves doctrine is true.

Meanwhile I watched Goldfinger perhaps the best James Bond movie

Well, you can't really prove or disprove creationism, just like you can't really prove or disprove the existence of God. Science can only explain natural phenomenon, so anything supernatural in origin is outside of the scope of empirical science. It doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, it just means that science is not an adequate tool to measure it with.

Science is simply not capable of providing the answers to every question in life.

Anyways, I finally got around to buying The Hobbit on Blu-Ray. Now, that I can watch it at home and not worry about being surrounded by impatient people in the audience, I think I actually enjoy the movie more. But that's been the case with all of the LOTR movies.

I wonder if we're getting an extended edition of this movie soon.

Tycho
03-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Well, you can't really prove or disprove creationism, just like you can't really prove or disprove the existence of God. Science can only explain natural phenomenon, so anything supernatural in origin is outside of the scope of empirical science. It doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, it just means that science is not an adequate tool to measure it with.

Science is simply not capable of providing the answers to every question in life.

I agree with all the above. As an agnostic, I split from religious folk because they want to have faith and believe in particular dogma, which is then predicated on the supernatural.

I really don't believe in the super natural. There is not conclusive evidence of it, whether we could even be talking about ghosts or The Force.

With regards to The Force, it is fun to imagine it. I actually am captivated by the fantasy of having such power to put it to both self-serving and truthfully well-intended self-righteous use. (For example, having the power of The Force, and using it to eventually command all the stormtroopers to make sure that no one is denied universal healthcare - as that would be one of my values that I personally think the absense of is painfully wrong. I'd also force the transition away from fossil fuels to clean energy, and use the stormtroopers to overthrow the world's dictators and mandate re-education for the populace for self-governing adoption of democracy. (Yes, that is forcing my way on to others - like if we invaded Syria and finally got rid of Assad - as there are people who like him.)

A difference with the Bibical supernatural fantasy is that a human individual cannot aspire to become God and mandate such a doctrine (while the 10 Commandments are a religious doctrine - univeral healthcare and the imposition of democratic government upon former dictatorships is also a doctrine - maybe the Tycho Doctrine - but in reality, it seems to be the summation of both the Obama and Bush doctrines).

But we come back to the decision to want to base life on doctrine as it's presented such that it's predicated on the will of a supernatural being. That's where it can be unacceptable to some (though in actuality, most of that doctrine makes rational sense but it's just too extreme for non-believers' tastes).

But to stretch that back to supernaturalism in films etc, how do we know that you have to drive a stake through a vampire's heart? That's typical vampire "doctrine" but what if a creator decides that doesn't work? And why wouldn't decapitation? Or would you get a vampire who can use his head to control his detached body? On Walking Dead, the zombies can't do this, so just the detached head remains alive. Of course, we don't know what a zombie on Walking Dead really is? I wonder if (creator) Robert Kirkland does either? The zombies decay and fall apart. If a zombie "lives" its natural course on Walking Dead, will it cease to be animated as the brain rots out of the skull? Eventually, we only have skeletons left, right? Robert Kirkland can create any rule he wants - as he is "the creator" here with supernatural influence over "Rick's world." Because Rick's world is fake.

If we were creaed, was our creator(s) supernatural? Could they just change the rules - and bring Transformers to life and down upon our world? If they actually use evolution as a tool, how long would it take to evolve another organic species if the creators were actually working on it? Could they make a new species and have it arrive tomorrow?

Actually, I would have done that with Cybertron. Survivors placed their essence in digital and if say Megatron was destroyed, his essence is forever gone - because he was a real individual. Galvatron would be related if Megatron could be "downloaded," but not if Megatron was truly a unique lifeform's essense.

In any case, if we had to upload our "beings" into machines, that would make earth turn into cybertron.

It would make Transformers have more at stake by that twist thrown in by a creator.

But normally we don't see that kind of supernaturalism in real life. Or we can't prove or didn't investigate a phenomenon enough.

sith_killer_99
03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
"This is 40", I laughed pretty hard. Paul Rudd seems to be enjoying more starring roles as opposed to supporting roles, I also watched "Our Idiot Brother" a couple of weeks ago, I caught it on cable and rather enjoyed it.

I've also been watching "Once Upon A Time" the television series, just finished season 1, it's much better than I thought it would be. My sister turned me on to it.

I have also been watching "The Neighbors" a campy, funny alien next-door comedy staring 80's honorary "Brat-Pack" member Jami Gertz (Sixteen Candles) who I absolutely loved in "Listen to Me" and "Less Than Zero".

El Chuxter
03-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Serenity. Marking a new best line in the Firefly universe: "To hell with this, I'm gonna live!"

OC47150
04-01-2013, 02:02 PM
The Invisible Man Returns (1940) with Vincent Price as a wrongly accused man who becomes invisible to clear his name. Not too bad.

Murder by Death (1976), a quirky Neil Simon-written comedy spoofing detectives. Great cast: Alec Guiness, Peter Falk, Peter Sellers, David Niven. Fun to see these great actors make fun of the genre.

OC47150
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
I have also been watching "The Neighbors" a campy, funny alien next-door comedy staring 80's honorary "Brat-Pack" member Jami Gertz (Sixteen Candles) who I absolutely loved in "Listen to Me" and "Less Than Zero".

Really hope the Neighbors gets picked up for a second season. The Pretty in Pink take-off ep was hilarious.

El Chuxter
04-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Kiki's Delivery Service and Ponyo. Because you can never re-watch a Miyazaki movie too many times.

Tycho
04-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Live and Let Die.

Blow.

dr_evazan22
04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
I started watching season 1 of American Horror Story last night. The wife, that is, my wife, doesn't like horror, so I have to watch it w/o her, which is hard to do. She doesn't like me leaving her downstairs with no light b/c the white walkers might get her.

sith_killer_99
04-07-2013, 12:36 PM
American Horror Story is a really good series.

OC47150
04-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Gumball Rally (1976). One of those movies I fondly remember watching on the late show as a kid. Still enjoyable.

Two-Headed Transplant. One of American-International's horror flicks from the early 70s. Not the greatest but interesting to see Casey Kasem in an acting role.

Rollerball (2002). I'd been wanting to see this one for a while now. Other than the title and the Jonathan character, it's nothing like the original, which I watch from time to time. I'll stick with the original.

dr_evazan22
04-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Last night we watched Zero Dark Thirty. Bigelow did a good job of making you feel like you were on the raid with the team. Some of the seals were ID'ed as "DEVGRU" in the credits... What does that mean?

In the lead up to the season premier of Game of Thrones we caught up on the previous 2 seasons, which we were able to find on demand on HBO. It would be cool if other networks did that for their shows.

Tycho
04-24-2013, 08:47 AM
I watched

The Jackal

Sum of All Fears

Rock of Ages*

Wall Street

* I saw the live stage production of Rock of Ages - twice! These were sold-out special occasions in San Diego's Broadway Theater. No movie can compare to live theater.

The plot was also different. In the play, there was a large German developer company that threatened to destroy The Bourbon (L.A.'s premier live rock 'n roll nightclub). The main money man had a gay son - only the punch line was that he wasn't gay - just German.

And Sherry (the small town girl, living in a lonely world - yes, they sing the song by Street Lights by Journey) does sleep with rocker Stacy Jaxx (Tom Cruise) because she thinks that Drew messed around on her first.

In the movie, Stacy Jaxx actually slept with the Mayor's hypocritical church girl wife, Sister Christian (Catherine Zeta Jones) and the girl reporter from Rolling Stone and Sherry just delivered drinks to them back stage, just in time to give Drew the wrong impression of what really went down.

But I enjoyed the differences because I didn't know what was going to happen next.

In the movie, the record company guy is a douche just like he is in the live play. Having just gotten home from being really behind the scenes on the Queensryche tour, I got to hear the "voice of the music industry" directly from the source as a real Mafia type tried to twist Geoff Tate's arm. It looked that way to me and I'm standing right there. And while this is a major record company (and ran by the very real Mafia - I'm serious!) I hope Queensryche (Geoff Tate's version) does NOT sign with them and Mr. Douche.

Rock of Ages is real.

OC47151
05-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Dawn of the Dead (1978). On the big screen!!!!! One of my local theatres played the classic as part of its Saturday midnite movie series. It was great! Packed house, people dressed as zombies.

The Story of GI Joe (1945). Ernie Pyle's story about soldiers, not the toy. Burgess Meredith played journalist Pyle. I have to do some research to see where it was filmed. Looked like it some parts were filmed in Europe; the war-damaged buildings were just too realistic.

Tycho
05-15-2013, 03:27 AM
I'm watching

A Time To Kill

Lord Of War

Traffic

Scarface

The Jason Bourne Trilogy (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum)

I've enjoyed all these films.

I watch to get inspired while I'm not writing my own story (nearly done with my 2nd novel now!)

OC47151
05-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I watch to get inspired while I'm not writing my own story (nearly done with my 2nd novel now!)

I write very long short stories myself.

The Front (1976). I'm not a Woody Allen fan but the basis of this movie caught my eye. He's a cashier in early 1950s NYC who's asked by a childhood friend, a writer, to sell his scripts to a TV network because the friend was blacklisted by the McCarthy Committee. Allen becomes the front for three blacklisted writers. What I found interesting was, during the end credits, it was announced the director, producers and writer of the movie were blacklisted themselves.

Tycho
05-15-2013, 10:15 PM
OC, a "very long short story" is called a novel. :)

Congrats to undertaking this adventure yourself. You already have good story-telling tastes by your program selections, so you should probably make some professional publishing efforts if you do not already (I never asked but would not be surprised if you have already done so).

Meanwhile, I hope you like what I came up with. It's expanding past 603 pages right now.

My characters are fighting their own use of cocaine at present, not to mention dealing with the Mafia and a black street gang (three more of my yet surviving characters are black but their dealings with the gang and the Italians are precarious at best).

The lead is a white girl who's left the FBI when she could vanish as a casualty in a Gulf Coast hurricane's horrific aftermath, and she found herself the opportunity to really take advantage of some very illegal / immoral opportunities.

As you are a fan of the same kinds of programming I watch, there will not be a "good girl" in the end, but evil, selfish wrong-doing, will win in the end.

The morality tale will be left to be ascribed by my reader - not by my narrative. Sometimes you can compromise your "taught" values and look out for yourself, and even get away with it. That's the light I want to shed on true human nature. My story is full of sex, military action / adventurism violence, racism, sexism, homophobic discrimination, drug and alcohol abuse, full-on authority corruption, bad weather and dangerous ecology, let alone the truth about how things F@*%in really are. It's my aim to wake people up who dare read my material if they stray from super heroes and altruistic robots who save the day in (all of our) favorite fantasies.

I had something to say - my own Dark Side, hatred, etc. to express. My work will be vile but I think YOU may be the first to appreciate it, OC. Our tastes seem similar. And what I write of does not necessarily represent me personally. But when I get angry with the way the world is, both our shows and especially the use of my writing ability, is definitely a path to express my feelings about things.

Write on. I encourage you whole-heartedly.

OC47151
05-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I've dabbled in the SW universe; have a couple of cool stories. I primarily write action-adventure-military type stories. Write a lot of WWII stuff and modern day military. Big fan of Allistair MacLean and Jack Higgins material.

I've also written two WWII-zombie stories, too. They were fun.

Tycho
05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I write action adventure as well. My stories have military elements to them, especially my civil war book Which is also Western in its nature. My modern novel involves the Coast Guard and DEA / FBI Vs organized crime the Mafia and drug cartels.

Today writing the latter one has kept me away from seeing Star Trek as of yet.

Tycho
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
There is now a Star Trek (12) Into the Darkness thread that's active.

It is a SPOILER thread for serious post-viewing movie analysis.

bigbarada
05-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness at the midnight premiere. Overall, I enjoyed it but was very disappointed by one major aspect of the film, however I can't talk about that without spoilers. The performances and chemistry between the actors saved the movie for me.

Also watched Life of Pi last night on DVD. Totally not the movie I was expecting it to be, but still really good and an absolutely beautiful film to look at. Sure I could tell that the tiger was computer-generated, but after a certain point in the movie I simply stopped caring about that because I was so completely engrossed in the story.

Tycho
05-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Just so all know who did not see my post on the previous page (and I know you ALREADY know BigB) there is a Star Trek SPOILER thread in this forum category.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Just back from The Great Gatsby, one of the best book-to-film version movies I have seen in some time. Am looking for the soundtrack, too.

El Chuxter
05-18-2013, 06:38 PM
I remember seeing the soundtrack at Target with exclusive tracks. Not sure if they were actually in the movie or not.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-19-2013, 04:44 PM
I am currently listening to it now; I do not recall some of the songs (specifically the Jack White track one) in the film. The three bonus tracks are an orchestral version of "Young and Beautiful," plus "Over the Love of You" and "Gatsby Believed in the Green Light." I do like the mix of jazz versions and "current" styles (well, except Jay Z's opening track).

Forgot to mention that Cliegg Lars and his son Owen are in GG; never in the same scene, however. "Bootleggers; they walk like men but they're monsters. I'd break down their speakeasies, but without my leg..."

bigbarada
05-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Finally saw Iron Man 3 tonight. It was the movie's last night in our local theater so I thought I should see it while it was still convenient to do so.

Overall, I liked it more than I thought I would. Although it's kind of weird that just anybody and their girlfriend can wear the suits now. Kind of ruins the specialness of Iron Man and makes Tony Stark somewhat expendable.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I finally saw Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. I laughed much of the time, but man, are there a bunch of cameos! Now I know where several radio show sound bites came from.

Tycho
05-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I watched Empire and Columbiana. Very good drug trafficking movies and insight into the complications that come with that life style.

OC47151
05-29-2013, 07:29 AM
The Raven (1963). The local sci-fi convention had a 50th anniversary screening, and Sarah Karloff did an intro. Been a while since I'd watched this one, and it was fun with a crowd.

Iron Sky. Nazis on the moon! I'd read about this one for a while, saw the trailer when it came out last year. Finally got round to renting it. It was goofy fun.

bigbarada
06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Been catching up on some movies:

Argo - I definitely remember these events from my childhood, even though I would have only been 5-6 years old at the time. Names like "Ayatollah Khomeini" and "Shah of Iran" definitely spark some early memories in my brain. I think it was the first major news story that I was old enough to start to comprehend, although I really just remember coming out of it with the understanding that Iran was not a nice country and Canada was our friend. Anyways, about the movie, everything was really well done and the tension could definitely be cut with a knife at times. I usually don't like Ben Affleck in anything, ever, but his bland personality was remarkably effective as a generic "g-man." My only gripe is the amount of foul language in the film that I felt was completely unnecessary. I would love to recommend this movie to more people, but I just can't with that many f-bombs being dropped for no reason whatsoever.

The Baytown Outlaws - you can tell this is a movie that really, really wants to become something of a grassroots, redneck franchise. Kind of like a modern day Dukes of Hazard. It's actually not a bad movie, though, and I found all of the characters pretty likable and the story itself kept me interested as well. However, it felt structured more like an extended pilot for a very violent TV show rather than a truly well-crafted, standalone story. That's not to say I wouldn't watch any sequels that might come out.

Cloud Atlas - first I was interested in seeing this movie, then I wasn't, then I finally decided that I might as well watch it and get it over with. Now that I've watched it, all I can think is, "I'm glad that's over with." This is definitely a movie that thinks it's more intelligent and profound than it actually is. I spent nearly three hours watching 6 completely different movies mashed into one hoping that something would tie them all together at the end and reward me for actually paying attention. Well, turns out the grand message of the movie is given away in the trailer and if you are hoping for something deeper, you're not going to get it. The other thing that kept me watching was morbid curiosity and wondering what kind of freakshow mask they were going to try to pass off as a human face next. I'm sure this movie was a make-up artist's dream come true, but it's difficult to be interested in a film's characters when most of the actors are buried under five pounds of silicone. Overall, I could compare this entire film experience to channel surfing while drunk and trying to reconcile all the different channels into one cohesive story. If it seems like I have a lot to say about a movie I didn't like, it's because I had almost 3 hours to think of all the ways that I hated this pretentious nonsense while I was watching it.

Snowtrooper
06-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Saw ST Into Darkness the other day. It was a very entertaining movie and I really liked the chemistry between the crew. I also enjoyed the villain quite a bit too. I think I'd like to see it in the theaters again at some point.

My wife and I also saw The Great Gatsby tonight. Thought that it was very well done, but my only complaint was that they went a little overboard with the special effects. I kinda wished they would've dialed it back a bit. Its been awhile since I read the book, so I'm not sure how closely it followed it.

OC47151
06-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Shaft's Big Score and Shaft in Africa. Hadn't checked these movies out before, but I really liked Shaft in Africa. He was hired to infiltrate a human trafficking ring from Africa to France. The final chase sequence in Shaft's Big Score was pretty good. Liked the old shipyard shootout.

TeeEye7
06-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Lincoln

Slow and ponderous. Even being a history major, it was difficult to sit through. Perplexed by Mr. Day-Lewis' sitting in profile for most of the movie looking like a penny. That's all he has to offer? He's given better performances. Not Academy worthy IMO. I was more impressed with David Strathairn's roll.

Tycho
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
You all HAVE to see "42," the Jackie Robinson story.

Granted I'm a HUGE baseball fan, but this is about the history of racism and civil rights in our country too.

Harrison Ford (Brooklyn Dodgers owner) deserves an Academy Award for his portrayal of the cantankerous old owner of a down and out team that at first tried to break racial barriers as a ticket sales incentive but then came around to the decision that he'd rather fire every (racist) star on his team than condone the tragedy that plagued Mr. Robinson. Instead, only 1 player remained a racist - but not on the Brooklyn Dodgers as the owner promptly traded him to Pittsburgh. And then the Dodgers took it all the way to the World Series with not only the first black ballplayer, but the first black MVP "All-Star" though there wasn't a formal All-Star team back in those days.

This is a heart-warming story that survives the 2nd darkest time for people of color in our country (the first darkest being when there was still slavery of course) and this true story picture comes out triumphant.

For baseball fans, it's a must-see on the big screen as you are right there at eye-level with 3rd base as Jackie Robinson slides into the camera for a stolen bag! The footage of baseball history (recreated) is incredible!

As is this true story.

El Chuxter
06-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban have been on in the last few days. I'd almost forgotten how good these films are.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2013, 09:16 AM

Granted I'm a HUGE baseball fan, but this is about the history of racism and civil rights in our country too.

Harrison Ford (Brooklyn Dodgers owner) deserves an Academy Award for his portrayal of the cantankerous old owner of a down and out team that at first tried to break racial barriers as a ticket sales incentive but then came around to the decision that he'd rather fire every (racist) star on his team than condone the tragedy that plagued Mr. Robinson. Instead, only 1 player remained a racist - but not on the Brooklyn Dodgers as the owner promptly traded him to Pittsburgh. And then the Dodgers took it all the way to the World Series with not only the first black ballplayer, but the first black MVP "All-Star" though there wasn't a formal All-Star team back in those days.I would like to see this one, too. But, wasn't the first All-Star Game in the 1930s (in fact, they had two different games for a few years)?

I had heard that this was a bit like Lincoln, in that the "action" scenes (a la Civil War battles) weren't as much the focus as the person himself was.

OC47151
06-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Hellcats of the Navy. Interesting WWII sub movie with Ronnie Reagan.

Reunion in France (1942). Joan Crawford is a Parisian resident who tries to help shot-down Eagle Squadron member John Wayne escape from the Germans. Before she went bat-crap crazy, a 1930s/40s Joan Crawford is kinda a hottie.

Beast from 20,000 Fantoms. I'd seen this one before, but I was amazed at Ray Harryhausen's work in this flick. The stop-action technique is just amazing.

bigbarada
06-04-2013, 11:05 PM

Harrison Ford (Brooklyn Dodgers owner) deserves an Academy Award for his portrayal of the cantankerous old owner of a down and out team that at first tried to break racial barriers as a ticket sales incentive but then came around to the decision that he'd rather fire every (racist) star on his team than condone the tragedy that plagued Mr. Robinson. Instead, only 1 player remained a racist - but not on the Brooklyn Dodgers as the owner promptly traded him to Pittsburgh. And then the Dodgers took it all the way to the World Series with not only the first black ballplayer, but the first black MVP "All-Star" though there wasn't a formal All-Star team back in those days.

This is a heart-warming story that survives the 2nd darkest time for people of color in our country (the first darkest being when there was still slavery of course) and this true story picture comes out triumphant.

For baseball fans, it's a must-see on the big screen as you are right there at eye-level with 3rd base as Jackie Robinson slides into the camera for a stolen bag! The footage of baseball history (recreated) is incredible!

As is this true story.

I saw it in theaters a few weeks back and I really enjoyed it. My dad is a big history buff, so I'm probably going to buy it for him when it comes out on DVD.

Tycho
06-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Yeah. I love history myself, and 42 is definitely a movie you can watch a few times over again. It's that good.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Best Number Movies of All Time:
9. 2010
8. 2001
7. 1984
6. 1941
5. 300
4. 42
3. 21
2. 10
1. Se7en

Tycho
06-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I like Bel Cam's post.

No further comment. I'm tired and can read but need sleep.

TeeEye7
06-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Life of Pi

Visually awesome, aurally difficult to follow because of my inability to sort through English spoken with heavy Indian or Japanese accents.

JimJamBonds
06-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Band of Brothers
Deadwood Season I, II and III
Boardwalk Empire Seasons I & II
Beyond The Pale

And a bunch more that I can't think of at the moment.

bigbarada
06-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Life of Pi

Visually awesome, aurally difficult to follow because of my inability to sort through English spoken with heavy Indian or Japanese accents.

I liked the movie also, but I had the same difficulties understanding a lot of the dialog. I thought it might just be the crappy built-in speakers on my TV.

Anyways, watched Man of Steel at the midnight premiere on Thursday night. I loved it. Probably the best Superman movie made since the original Christopher Reeve film. In fact, I might even like it better than that one. Superman has always been one of my favorite superheroes, so it's cool to see him getting the epic treatment that he deserves. I had a few minor problems with the story and the final battle goes on a bit too long, but they got Superman right and to me that's the most important part of any superhero movie.

Maradona
06-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Shaft's Big Score and Shaft in Africa. Hadn't checked these movies out before, but I really liked Shaft in Africa. He was hired to infiltrate a human trafficking ring from Africa to France. The final chase sequence in Shaft's Big Score was pretty good. Liked the old shipyard shootout.

I've always remembered the line in one of these where a girl asks Shaft (I paraphrase), "Is that cocaine?" Shaft responds, "It sure ain't cotton, baby!"

El Chuxter
06-16-2013, 12:58 AM
I saw some spoilers about Man of Steel that make me completely uninterested in seeing it. No, make that completely opposed to seeing it. There are some things about a character that iconic that are simply not negotiable in my book, and I understand the film betrays two of them in a major way. Don't want to sound too gripey, but I refuse to pay money to see it. Sure, it'll make jillions, but none of it from my pocket. So I'll just pretend it's an adaptation of Rob Liefeld's Supreme or something, because, with what I've read and don't want to get too spoilery about, it pretty much is, except they gave him feet.

Maradona
06-16-2013, 10:54 AM
****excruciatingly spoiler-free****

I saw Man of Steel. I liked that I was watching a Superman film where he actually and consistently does something. Though I had a several problems with various key elements in the film, this is the first film where Superman really does Superman-type stuff throughout the entirety of the film. In the past, Superman films focused on the "man" part more than the "super" part, probably because the "super" stuff is very expensive. The tone of the film is decidedly serious, somber, and, when you couple this the Dark Knight trilogy, you can easily see a clear contrast established by DC to the Marvel movie-verse which just seems to be more fun. Though I suppose the Green Lantern fiasco of a film sort renders my point partially invalid, that film, which I found unwatchable to point where I got up and left to exchange my 3D glasses and buy concessions, is a better comparison point than the Batman films in that Man of Steel, while problematic, is definitely watchable and enjoyable. The performances and effects were strong, the music was subtle (smartly avoiding any John Williams reference), and the 3D was not annoying. I think that when you start plotting story by an executive committee, there is a bound to be a disconnect. I'll still watch the extended version of the film (I read somewhere that the first cut was over three hours long - so I'm sure we'll see it on bluray at some point) to see if any of my concerns get addressed, though I suspect most will not.

The Christopher Reeve/Richard Donner Superman is still my favorite and when I think more about that film, I can see how its humor and reverence for the source material really influenced the Marvel movie-verse much more than it seems to have influenced the DC movie verse.

bigbarada
06-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I saw some spoilers about Man of Steel that make me completely uninterested in seeing it. No, make that completely opposed to seeing it. There are some things about a character that iconic that are simply not negotiable in my book, and I understand the film betrays two of them in a major way. Don't want to sound too gripey, but I refuse to pay money to see it. Sure, it'll make jillions, but none of it from my pocket. So I'll just pretend it's an adaptation of Rob Liefeld's Supreme or something, because, with what I've read and don't want to get too spoilery about, it pretty much is, except they gave him feet.

Is there a spoiler thread where we can talk about this stuff? Because I think I know exactly what you are talking about.

Tycho
06-24-2013, 08:47 AM
I watched myself fight in Christopher Guest's HBO mini-series, "Family Tree," my debut being last night!

OC47151
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
World War Z. I walked into the theatre expecting a big-budget zombie movie, and that's what I got. I haven't read the book (yet) but I was aware of the uproar about the exceptions made between the book and movie. The CG effects were the real star of this movie.

Gorky Park (1983). Hadn't seen this one if 20+ years. It's refreshing to see Lee Marvin playing a sophicated businessman instead of a drunk cowboy or soldier.

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991). Another one I hadn't seen in about 20 years. Watched it after a co-worker reminded me it was on the TV.

Tycho
06-27-2013, 09:35 PM
OC, what did you think about the plot of World War Z? Would the story make it worthwhile?

OC47151
06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
OC, what did you think about the plot of World War Z? Would the story make it worthwhile?

It was part action movie, part CSI/who's patient zero. The search for the patient zero or the source created some good action sequences. There were plot holes that were never resolved or answered. But that happens a lot in zombie movies; the cause is never fully explained. Since I haven't read the book, I don't know if those issues were resolved or better addressed.

If you want to see it on the big screen, you might want to wait until the second-run theatres. I went to a matinee and got my money's worth. Walking out, I thought I wouldn't pay full price to see it again. At the second run, perhaps. Definitely rent it once it's out on video, but not certain if I'd buy it for my collection.

Maradona
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I saw World War Z and really enjoyed it. It was very well paced and the performances were strong.

bigbarada
06-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I also watched World War Z and I was surprised at how good it was. I was expecting a mindless action film like 2012, or Day After Tomorrow; but this movie was really well made and a lot smarter than I expected it to be.

It seems that they are already working on a sequel, so I'm interested to see where they go next.

OC47151
07-01-2013, 12:04 PM
From Russia With Love (1963). Had the opportunity to see my all-time favorite Bond movie on the big screen Saturday night! It was great!

Robin and Marian (1976). One of those under-rated Sean Connery movies where he plays a middle-aged Robin Hood who returns to Sherwood Forest after being away with the Crusades for 20 years. And things aren't the same. I'd seen this one years ago but forgot just about everything about it.

The Anderson Tapes (1971). Another Connery flick. This time, he's a burglar trying for one last score.

bigbarada
07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
I watched the 1978 animated version of The Adventures of Pinocchio on Youtube last night and I had forgotten how dark early children's fiction used to be. I guess that's because, until recently, childrens' parables were written to teach kids how to be good people and nowadays children's stories are just written to sell merchandise. Of course, this is assuming that the 1978 film is closer to the original story than the Disney adaptation.

If anyone wants to watch the full movie, here's the Youtube link:
http://youtu.be/0dhY5eml3ps

JimJamBonds
07-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Red Dawn (the new one), it actually wansn't that bad. I thought it'd be terrible but I'd say its more "believeable" then the first one.

She's Out Of My League, I've watched it 3-4 times since last Friday, so I must like it. I even ended up buying it at WM for $5. Currently developing a major crush on Ms. Alice Eve. :love::angel::tranquillity:

sith_killer_99
07-02-2013, 11:12 PM
How to Make Money Selling Drugs - A great documentary! It does an outstanding job highlighting the damage that the war on drugs has had on our country. The main theme is centered on how people are making money off the illegal drug market, from street dealers to drug cartels to the prisons to the law enforcement agencies and the politicians who write the laws.

JimJamBonds
07-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I forgot to add in yesterday's post. The Iron Lady. I get it, MT was the only woman in a man's world, and she was at times a major biznitch, sometimes it was needed and sometimes thats just who she was.

Tycho
07-04-2013, 08:13 PM
BigB: thanks for the World War Z update.

I actually liked 2012 and still need to see Day After Tomorrow.

OC47151: as usual, (and it should not be surprising by now,) you and I have nearly identical tastes.

From Russia With Love is an excellent choice out of the James Bond movies! Excellent! Yes.

Sith_Killer: I am hopefully now making money off illegal drugs ;) Similar to Miami Vice and Traffic, a major element in my 2nd (modern-day) novel is the drug cartel wars. Maybe when I finish I should advertise 30,000 people died in the making of this story? (Don't worry. My book continues my strong tradition of being as tasteless with my writing just like in my forums posts.)

I watched Behind Enemy Lines with Owen Wilson in a serious action-movie (true story) role with Gene Hackman. Excellent story. BigB, I believe you are a veteran of the Bosnian War? You may (or may not) appreciate this movie. I'd recorded it off AMC and they had supplemented it with interviews and historical facts. The director said he made a deliberate choice to be different by casting Wilson (normally a comedy actor) in this role. Wilson is actually great once he gets dirtied up when he ejects from being the navigator on a 2-seat F-18 on patrol during a broken cease-fire during Clinton's presidency. This actually happened. I'm not sure why they changed Wilson's character's name to Crockett but it actually was Brady in real life. Perhaps Mr. Brady did not give consent to tell his story? Not sure. The Admiral played by Hackman was actually stripped of his command for disobeying NATO orders and launching a rescue mission for this downed navigator. (In real life, Brady was the actual pilot and they didn't explain it why they made his friend the pilot, but that man's execution by the Bosnian Serbs does make the story more passionate, if in real life the F-18 was only a one-seater carrying Brady). However, this way Owen Wilson does NOT come off playing Tom Cruise's "Top Gun" character, since he's not the pilot.

The actual ship deployed on this mission was the USS Carl Vinson, and from permission from the DOD, the movie was actually filmed on the real Carl Vinson, at the actual locations the story takes place (on the ship). Top that off - the movie was actually filmed at the location the real life events occurred in Bosnia.

Finally, the reason it all went down was because in the flight recorder of the lost F-18, was the video evidence that the Bosnia-Serbs (Christians) were executing the Muslim (Bosniaks) and breaking the treaty in a conspiracy with the Croats (Catholics). [This is why I hate religion - in this world it would almost make sense if an army of Hindus suddenly showed up with RPGs trying to "save the cows." - That doesn't actually happen, btw.]

Anyway, the bad guy from Clear And Present Danger (the Cuban assassin that Harrison Ford battles) [is actually a Portugese actor] and plays the French NATO commander that Gene Hackman (the US Fleet Admiral) disobeys to recover Crockett (Brady in real life, portrayed by Wilson, if you're following me along still).

But this really happened and exactly as it went down. The SkyNews reporter (it might have actually been CNN) who covered this event in 1995 actually portrays himself and covers the event for this movie (made in 2002 I think).

The mass pile of unburied dead Muslem Bosniaks that Wilson's character falls into will remind you of everything from modern set dressing for The Walking Dead to what Adolf Hitler actually did to the Jews in WWII (as how it's depicted in Daniel Craig / Live Schreiber's "Defiance," a great movie and also a true story about a Jewish insurgency strike force that really existed and still has some members alive today).

In any case, in a world where the Muslems are often portrayed as invading immigrants bringing cultural clashes and terrorism to their new western countries of current residence (US, France, England, Germany, Russia) this is a terrible chapter in modern history (in which we all were alive) and saw the Islamists face their own "mini-holocaust." The hate between religious sects continuous and the Boston Marathon bomber had ties to the inheritors of hate for this tragedy.

Once the evidence of ethic cleansing, genocide, mass murders was recovered, President Clinton went full on in until this was (presumably) brought to a stable cease-fire. [It's not and might never be 'resolved' until we "destroy religion" world-wide - and no, I didn't say "destroy God," but that would be an over-dramatic way of putting it - and they already used that phrase in Jurassic Park, btw.

But religion is just one "quicker and easier" way to lure followers for warlords to make land and property grabs to expand their power (or Osama Bin Laden missed his flight on September 11th and wasn't a hypocrite - ha!)

But there are not a lot of movies that really explain what this is about, and I thank BigB for his service over there and highly recommend this (yeah - really) Owen Wilson movie.

Owen Wilson does not fart or pull any kind of "3-Stooges stunt at his own expense" in this movie. And like I said, he stops looking like a member of Nickelback as soon as his F-18 goes down and he has to fight to survive.

Yes, because of how you're used to seeing Wilson, a troop of Girl Scouts marching around him with balloon animals on the USS Carl Vinson seems to be missing from the start of the film, as does "Maverick and Goose," but Hackman's performance grounds those scenes just fine anyway.

sith_killer_99
07-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Evil Dead - Well worth watching. The acting was far superior to the original and the storyline was better developed.

Tycho
07-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Whoops! I need to bump this post to the next page because in it is messages directed to 3 forum members I "bolded" below.

BigB: thanks for the World War Z update.

I actually liked 2012 and still need to see Day After Tomorrow.

OC47151: as usual, (and it should not be surprising by now,) you and I have nearly identical tastes.

From Russia With Love is an excellent choice out of the James Bond movies! Excellent! Yes.

Sith_Killer: I am hopefully now making money off illegal drugs ;) Similar to Miami Vice and Traffic, a major element in my 2nd (modern-day) novel is the drug cartel wars. Maybe when I finish I should advertise 30,000 people died in the making of this story? (Don't worry. My book continues my strong tradition of being as tasteless with my writing just like in my forums posts.)

I watched Behind Enemy Lines with Owen Wilson in a serious action-movie (true story) role with Gene Hackman. Excellent story. BigB, I believe you are a veteran of the Bosnian War? You may (or may not) appreciate this movie. I'd recorded it off AMC and they had supplemented it with interviews and historical facts. The director said he made a deliberate choice to be different by casting Wilson (normally a comedy actor) in this role. Wilson is actually great once he gets dirtied up when he ejects from being the navigator on a 2-seat F-18 on patrol during a broken cease-fire during Clinton's presidency. This actually happened. I'm not sure why they changed Wilson's character's name to Crockett but it actually was Brady in real life. Perhaps Mr. Brady did not give consent to tell his story? Not sure. The Admiral played by Hackman was actually stripped of his command for disobeying NATO orders and launching a rescue mission for this downed navigator. (In real life, Brady was the actual pilot and they didn't explain it why they made his friend the pilot, but that man's execution by the Bosnian Serbs does make the story more passionate, if in real life the F-18 was only a one-seater carrying Brady). However, this way Owen Wilson does NOT come off playing Tom Cruise's "Top Gun" character, since he's not the pilot.

The actual ship deployed on this mission was the USS Carl Vinson, and from permission from the DOD, the movie was actually filmed on the real Carl Vinson, at the actual locations the story takes place (on the ship). Top that off - the movie was actually filmed at the location the real life events occurred in Bosnia.

Finally, the reason it all went down was because in the flight recorder of the lost F-18, was the video evidence that the Bosnia-Serbs (Christians) were executing the Muslim (Bosniaks) and breaking the treaty in a conspiracy with the Croats (Catholics). [This is why I hate religion - in this world it would almost make sense if an army of Hindus suddenly showed up with RPGs trying to "save the cows." - That doesn't actually happen, btw.]

Anyway, the bad guy from Clear And Present Danger (the Cuban assassin that Harrison Ford battles) [is actually a Portugese actor] and plays the French NATO commander that Gene Hackman (the US Fleet Admiral) disobeys to recover Crockett (Brady in real life, portrayed by Wilson, if you're following me along still).

But this really happened and exactly as it went down. The SkyNews reporter (it might have actually been CNN) who covered this event in 1995 actually portrays himself and covers the event for this movie (made in 2002 I think).

The mass pile of unburied dead Muslem Bosniaks that Wilson's character falls into will remind you of everything from modern set dressing for The Walking Dead to what Adolf Hitler actually did to the Jews in WWII (as how it's depicted in Daniel Craig / Live Schreiber's "Defiance," a great movie and also a true story about a Jewish insurgency strike force that really existed and still has some members alive today).

In any case, in a world where the Muslems are often portrayed as invading immigrants bringing cultural clashes and terrorism to their new western countries of current residence (US, France, England, Germany, Russia) this is a terrible chapter in modern history (in which we all were alive) and saw the Islamists face their own "mini-holocaust." The hate between religious sects continuous and the Boston Marathon bomber had ties to the inheritors of hate for this tragedy.

Once the evidence of ethic cleansing, genocide, mass murders was recovered, President Clinton went full on in until this was (presumably) brought to a stable cease-fire. [It's not and might never be 'resolved' until we "destroy religion" world-wide - and no, I didn't say "destroy God," but that would be an over-dramatic way of putting it - and they already used that phrase in Jurassic Park, btw.

But religion is just one "quicker and easier" way to lure followers for warlords to make land and property grabs to expand their power (or Osama Bin Laden missed his flight on September 11th and wasn't a hypocrite - ha!)

But there are not a lot of movies that really explain what this is about, and I thank BigB for his service over there and highly recommend this (yeah - really) Owen Wilson movie.

Owen Wilson does not fart or pull any kind of "3-Stooges stunt at his own expense" in this movie. And like I said, he stops looking like a member of Nickelback as soon as his F-18 goes down and he has to fight to survive.

Yes, because of how you're used to seeing Wilson, a troop of Girl Scouts marching around him with balloon animals on the USS Carl Vinson seems to be missing from the start of the film, as does "Maverick and Goose," but Hackman's performance grounds those scenes just fine anyway.

bigbarada
07-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I watched Behind Enemy Lines several years ago and I love that movie. It did a great job of portraying the hopelessness of a war like that. When the Soviet Union collapsed, Yugoslavia erupted into a nasty civil war between Serbians, Croatians and Muslims. But it was never a clean war with clear good guys and bad guys, they were all bad guys. The atrocities and crimes against humanity were committed on all three sides of that war.

I went over there as part of an engineer unit and our original goal was to start tearing down all the American base camps because we were supposed to be pulling out. However, after we got there, Clinton decided to extend our presence there indefinitely, so we spent the next 7 months just doing odd jobs to help the Bosnians get stabilized. Croatia had already broken off into its own country by then, so we didn't have much to do there. Although I did spend almost 4 months with a float-bridge engineer unit babysitting one of the two bridges that still connected Bosnia to Croatia. We stayed on the Croatian side of the Sava River in Slovanski Brod.

And destroying religion will have no effect on crushing evil in this world, because evil is inherent in human nature. There were over 100 million people slaughtered by atheistic governments in the 20th century alone, so the lack of religion or the presence of religion have no effect whatsoever on the evil that every human being on this planet is capable of committing.

Anyways, Behind Enemy Lines... great movie and one of my all-time favorite war movies.

sith_killer_99
07-04-2013, 09:17 PM
T, is your first novel out now? Let me know, I've been wanting to check it out ever since you first mentioned it. Also, I believe the number of people dead from the drug war is up to 50,000 now. That's just the numbers from Mexico.

Tycho
07-04-2013, 11:05 PM
BigBarada and Sith_Killer....

Sith_Killer, simplest answers first: - my novels will both come out this fall, with a sequel to the modern story next spring or summer. I'm getting artwork and final editing done now, plus the final legal arrangements.

The "industry" actually told me the public would not support another Civil War project, and IF (major if) they are actually correct, I will release the first part of my modern story at the same time to show I'm diverse and create double book sales.

The idea is that if people reading that "50 S&M shades of drug-dealing and Mafia politics with porn-star-girls (whoo-wee!)" than they will want to know "how it all got started" back in the Civil War with "cowboys and more cowboys" in the military from back in the day.

Of course I'm being fecicious and the ideas are much more sophisticated than that.

But the situation made me resent "New York" and I want to demonstrate I can write for the modern action-thriller audience who likes the current political intrigue (and James Bond girls) as well as the historical aficionado who will appreciate my research and reverence for American history, and the good Kurt Russel / Val Kilmer style of the modern western (as I don't think I epitomize any such honor as displayed in John Wayne's work - but that's intentional, not that I don't love John Wayne's work - I just don't write that way).

But yes, sadly the drug war in Mexico is horrible with its death toll. My modern story is set only 2 years in the future from now when their war spills into Louisiana (and Texas presumably, though I have no scenes set there since Louisiana works perfectly for my needs in spite of there being no land border - my characters use the Miami Vice style fast boats and fight the U.S. Coast Guard, uh if they haven't used sex, money, and drugs to bribe their sectional commanders already - part of a plot give-away. As noted above, my story actually is not only not about honorable characters like John Wayne would play, there ARE NO honorable characters - which is the point. My work is dark!).

BigBarada, do you think President Clinton decided to stay in Bosnia because of the genocide being brought to light? Possibly by soldiers like Brady?

I remember that at first, people dismissed that as trying to create a distraction to the Monica Lewinski sex scandal before they realized how serious the Bosnian genocide problem was. Then I think it became a fight against evil like that of Hitler. I think it was also "PR" to show Muslims that we're not against good justice for them in light of this atrocity (not that Islamic Terrorists have given us ANY credit for trying to help their creed).

I agree with you that "evil is inherent in human nature." That's what Buried Values is about. Sure, there's buried Civil War treasure from the first book, but as I write more for the series, that will be less and less important, if even mentioned in some later novels set historically between my bookend stories.

But Atheism is not the absence of religion. Atheism is a religion. And sure it has killed (Stalin) just like theistic religions. You know, Agnosticism has probably killed too. People's Buried Values (shameless plug). But reducing the reliance on dogma (the Bible, the Koran) will be kind of like partial nuclear disarmament. It takes away the ammunition of some demagogues if people are questioning that even holy texts don't have definitive proof, let alone interpretations of them as such Scott Roeder (proclaimed Christian who killed abortion provider) or Osama Bin Laden (you all know who he was) make, claiming they know what the holy texts mean.

Anyway, I agree with you BigBarada about Behind Enemy Lines! Yes it was a great war movie and thank you for serving.

I think that Bosnia is one such conflict American soldiers should be honored for that is too often overlooked and forgotten. It was war over there and just as horrible as any war our vets fought in. There just are more vets today from Vietnam, Iraq, and returning from Afghanistan.

Lot of people forget about Korea as well - but maybe less so with N.K. mouthing off every other day.

JimJamBonds
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Starter For 10. An English movie where a kid goes to college, falls for the hot girl, gets on a team that competes on a Jeperady! type game show. My lady Alice Eve was the hot girl.

Robot Chicken Star Wars Episode III, I like the 'emphasis' on the Emperor. I like how he can't stand Vader.

The Raven, its Baltimore 1849 and somebody is going around killing people in a way that mimics Edgar Allen Poe's writing. Poe's ladyfriend is kidnapped and he is working with the police to find her. Alice Eve is Mr. Poe's lady friend.

The Decoy Bride. Blahh blahh blahh, Mrs. Enoch Thompsan from Boardwalk Empire and Alice Eve are in it. Sensing a trend in the movies I've been watching???

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I am old. I picked up the Queen from the library (free DVD rental), thinking it was from just a few (maybe three or four) years ago... it was in 2006. :( But the film was pretty good, and I can see why/how Helen Mirren won the Oscar for it. I couldn't quite remember 1997 and Diana's death all that clearly (also a sign of oldness), or at least the royals' reactions to it.

sith_killer_99
07-07-2013, 01:26 PM
I watched "Pitch Black" the other day and my wife and I were taking about it. Our 11 year old daughter asked me "What's Pitch Black".

So I told her, it's an old movie from before you were born.

She didn't think anything of it, but my wife was kind of thrown back by the realization. lol

OC47151
07-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I enjoy Behind Enemy Lines. I've bought used copies of the two sequels, related by name only. The third one is okay. Both are straight to video.

How the West Was Won (1962). One of those epic movies that follows a family from the early 1800s to post-Civil War era settling of the Old West. An all-star cast but Debbie Reynolds and George Peppard had two of the biggest and instrumental roles in the movie.

Amos and Andrew. The wife and I watched this little 90s gem with Nic Cage and Samuel L. Jackson. Pretty funny. It was refreshing to see Brad Dourif in a normal role for once, not some weird-o character that he's associated with these days. And where's Dabney Coleman when you need him the most?

Kapo (1960). A French-Italian venture that follows a French girl in a concentration camp. The girl's (Susan Strasberg) journey from victim to kapo, concentration camp quasi-guard, was interesting.

Dead Snow. I've been wanting to see this zombie movie for several years. Didn't want to do a blind purchase, but I found it on a four-pack of movies at Target. Norweigian kids on a weekend trip to the country run into Nazi-era zombies. And the zombies are ruthless! Had some real funny moments.

Tycho
07-10-2013, 02:57 AM
License to kill. This was a great James Bond movie!

The production really stepped up to a level of the more modern movies here

El Chuxter
07-12-2013, 02:48 AM
The Karate Kid Part III. I'd never seen it. I always thought it looked bad, even from the initial ads, and I dearly love the first two. I have all four, since the initial DVD release was an "all or nothing" dealio. (I'd never watched 3 and 4. I saw parts of 4 on TV years ago, and it looked as awful as I'd suspected.)

But we introduced Chux Jr to the series, and she wanted to see it all. She loved the first two, too. Even she was groaning about five minutes into this one, begging to skip to the fourth because it has a girl in it (and, partly because now that I was watching the damned thing finally and wanted to see it through, no matter how painful, we told her you have to see #3 before #4 because #4 may not make sense otherwise).

Long story short, this movie should be illegal. It's so bad, it transcends "so bad it's good" and comes back to "nope, it's just really bad" territory. If the US military weaponized this movie, no country would ever dare to get on our bad side again.

I honestly thought this was a cash grab by some hack writer and director who'd never seen the second one (aside from a few half-arsed explanations as to why they're back in SoCal and left their love interests behind, it contradicts it right and left) and only paid a little attention during the first. I nearly crapped my pants when I read that the same director and writer brought us... both previous Karate Kid movies.

Unless someone in Hollywood has the brilliant idea of a Karate Kid #5 that disregards the Will Smith Jr version entirely and goes back to the original timeline (Rise of the Planet of the Apes style), and makes a great movie about a much older Daniel LaRusso who must pass on what Miyagi taught him, this movie never existed in my eyes.

Maradona
07-12-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm on summer vacation, so I finally got around to watching the entire Firefly series. For years, people had told me how much I needed to see it and how good it was and blah blah blah. I suspect the effect of all the people telling me I should see it (and my love for Cowboy Bebop, which I was convinced the premise of the Firefly series sort copied, along with Outlaw Star) pushed actually seeing it further out, but I'd bought the blu-ray of the series and the film for extremely cheap a while back and only just now was able to view the show.

WOW!

Oh, what a fool I was NOT to have seen this sooner. I loved it and binge watched the whole series in a couple of days. I'll watch the film within the next few days. How this series did not get picked up by another network after cancelation is beyond me. When I think about how much sic-fi crap there has been in the ten years following the show's cancelation, I can't help but wonder where the series could have gone if properly supported by a network.

sith_killer_99
07-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I spent a good chunk of the past week watching "Caprica" the prequel to Battlestar Galactica. It was a good series, but it's easy to see why it was cancelled. I enjoyed it, but there were times it just got too far out there, even for me. I do have to admit I was surprised by the Adama ending and I do wish they had done a second season since the last 5 minutes were all preview for a season that never happened.

I also watched "Blood & Chrome" which takes place between Caprica and BSG and features a young William Adama on his first mission!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Sucked into Batman Returns on cable (other sequels after this one? I'll miss that part of the marathon). Man, I'd forgotten how weird that was, and how hot Ms. Pfeiffer is/was.

bigbarada
07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
I must have been in a 1995-mood last night because I started searching for films released that year on YouTube and stumbled across a full version of the movie Powder. I think it's the first time I've ever sat down and watched the entire movie from beginning to end. I remember this movie being heavily promoted that year, but I think it came out while I was in AIT for the Army so I never got around to watching it. I liked it for the most part, but it feels like a story I've seen several times before.

OC47151
07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I spent a good chunk of the past week watching "Caprica" the prequel to Battlestar Galactica. It was a good series, but it's easy to see why it was cancelled. I enjoyed it, but there were times it just got too far out there, even for me. I do have to admit I was surprised by the Adama ending and I do wish they had done a second season since the last 5 minutes were all preview for a season that never happened.

I also watched "Blood & Chrome" which takes place between Caprica and BSG and features a young William Adama on his first mission!

I tried to watch Caprica. It was smart, too smart for its own being, and not enough action.

Sharknado. Ah, I love a good hunk of cheese!

Beginning of the End (1954). I love a good giant insect movie. Hard to pass up. This one involved giant locust/grasshoppers. I thought it was funny that the military was called out to defeat this menance, tanks rolled through the countryside and yet, once confronted with the giant locust, there was a National Guard officer firing off his .45.

Tycho
07-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Heat.

The scene with Al Pacino as the cop and Robert DiNero as the robber getting a cup of coffee, in mutual admiration of each other's skills, but resolving to attempt to kill the other just the same: - one of the finest moments in movie history!

OC47151
07-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Heat.

The scene with Al Pacino as the cop and Robert DiNero as the robber getting a cup of coffee, in mutual admiration of each other's skills, but resolving to attempt to kill the other just the same: - one of the finest moments in movie history!

If you haven't gone to imdb.com and read the trivia on Heat, you really should. Some really fascinating tidbits of info there.

Tycho
07-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks OC.

I couldn't read all of it, but probably indulged in half of it and then sat back in my chair, feeling like "WOW!"

I love that movie.

Michael Man (Miami Vice) also did Last of the Mohicans if I'm not mistaken. Thus I know I like a couple of his movies.

The new Miami Vice movie, not so much. Some of it due to the re-casting. (On that note, I might add that it worked out for Star Trek - recasting) but Leonard Nimoy's grounding of the films with his more-than-cameos really contributed to that working.

In the same way, I think Mark, Carrie, and Harrison (and I'm hearing possibly Billy Dee) will do similar for Star Wars 7 - though likely at least Mark will play a major role (as Jedi Master).

JimJamBonds
07-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Crossing Over ~ Its about people coming to America and what they'll do and what can happen to become citizens. Han Solo, Ray Liota, Ashley Judd and my girl Alice Eve are in it.

Maradona
07-15-2013, 09:59 PM
I saw Pacific Rim. This was my most anticipated film for the year. I looked forward to this more than any other movie. I went in to the theater pre-loving this film - I mean this was the dream of the eternal twelve year old in me that always wanted to see giant robots on screen, done correctly, handled with love. There was, in my mind, no way this film could be bad in any way.

I finally saw it today and left the theater disappointed. The effects were fantastic. Idris Elba was awesome. There was a lot of care put into the crafting of the film. Maybe it was the story, maybe it was the structure, maybe it was both and more, but I seriously expected a different movie than the one I got and was disappointed as a result. I still hope the film makes mountains of money because I don't want the concept of giant robot films to go away.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Big Nothing, David Schwimmer, Simon Pegg and my gal Alice Eve (sensing a trend anyone?). A nothing special movie about a bunch of bungling idiots who commit a crime that goes wrong and the shennanigans that went along with said crime.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2013, 08:54 AM
I finally watched Sharknado. Um, I've seen a few SyFy movies before but... um. It was funny; MST3K-level funny. I will admit that I didn't see the "dramatic" ending coming, though.

sith_killer_99
07-20-2013, 03:46 PM
SyFy is working on a sequel to Sharknado. I DVR'd it but haven't gotten around to watching.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2013, 10:31 PM
SyFy is working on a sequel to Sharknado. I DVR'd it but haven't gotten around to watching.That's what I did yesterday; it had Tweets on-screen during it, likely from those who'd seen it the first time (or live Tweeting during the rerun). The sequel is apparently going to be set in NYC.

Finally saw Rango, and I can see why people liked it. I'm a people; I liked it.

sith_killer_99
07-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Finally saw Rango, and I can see why people liked it. I'm a people; I liked it.

I took my daughter to see it when it was in theaters. We enjoyed it.

I just caught "Continuum". I started watching about a week ago and pretty much watched straight though over the last week.

JimJamBonds
07-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Chuck Season I, I forgot some aspects of the season. I thought Chuck had butt kicking ability right away, then I thought he got it at the end of the season, but he must have gotten that at the end of II. Overall I liked it, some stuff was silly, but hey its a tv show what do you expect?!?!?

Tycho
07-25-2013, 12:42 AM
I watched the first Hangover. That movie still makes me laugh.

I've never seen the other ones, but I think that this kind of plot thing only works once.

Smallville did a similar storyline and it was only fun because it involved known characters, taken out of their element. For that show it worked and it was a good, if forgettable episode.

sith_killer_99
07-25-2013, 01:14 AM
"Oblivion" I am not a Tom Cruise fan, but this movie was great. It reminded me of a Stanley Kubrick film in many ways.

Andrea Riseborough was fantastic, her performance was haunting.

Olga Kurylenko detracted from the film IMO, her character was uninspiring and boring, she was IMO the low point of the film.

Morgan Freeman was animated and served as a great counter point to the rest of the film, providing just the right amount of balance.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
I finally watched Sharknado. Um, I've seen a few SyFy movies before but... um. It was funny; MST3K-level funny.There are some movie theaters (none near to me; most in the LA area) that are going to show it at midnight. Front page of the local newspaper today had an article on whether (weather? :p) such a disaster was even scientifically possible.

JimJamBonds
07-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Cedar Rapids ~ It was ok, nice to see the Nard Dog and Senator Clay Davis hook up in a movie.

Clerks ~ Still good stuff, although not something I'd watch all that often, maybe I'll watch it again in a year or so.

sith_killer_99
07-30-2013, 06:59 PM
I just finished watching "Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox"!

Wow, this has to be the DARKEST animated feature film DC has ever done. Not for the little ones that's for sure.

Maradona
08-01-2013, 11:58 PM
I just finished watching "Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox"!

Wow, this has to be the DARKEST animated feature film DC has ever done. Not for the little ones that's for sure.

It certainly was intense. I was pleasantly surprised at the guts DC had putting it out.

JimJamBonds
08-12-2013, 09:10 PM
GI Joe Retaliation. Ehh nothing special, the Titus Pullo vs. The Rock first was decent (the first not the second) rather silly at times but better then the other flick I watched Gangster Squad. Ehh.

sith_killer_99
08-13-2013, 09:22 AM
GI Joe Retaliation. Ehh nothing special, the Titus Pullo vs. The Rock first was decent (the first not the second) rather silly at times but better then the other flick I watched Gangster Squad. Ehh.

Yeah, GI Joe Retaliation wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped. RZA was just bad, it was like he thought he was in a Tarantino film and was trying too hard to play the part.

Bruce Willis let me down as well, and the ending line about "I knew your father, blah blah blah" was far too predictable. It's a shame, because I hear he kills it in RED 2!

JimJamBonds
08-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Also, ninja's shouldn't have guns.

EDIT: And J, apparently you don't know military ranks even though you're father was in the service but a First Lieutenant outranks a Sergeant Major.

sith_killer_99
08-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Also, ninja's shouldn't have guns.

EDIT: And J, apparently you don't know military ranks even though you're father was in the service but a First Lieutenant outranks a Sergeant Major.

Don't get me started, Jaye is supposed to be a Staff Sergeant (E-6). They totally messed up the ranks of most GI Joe characters in these films.

I just finished watching "Olympus Has Fallen" which was much better than I had anticipated. Yes, it's mostly just an action flick, but I still enjoyed it.

El Chuxter
08-13-2013, 10:46 PM
If we're going to nitpick, Lady Jaye's first name was Allison, not Jaye. :D

Also, both ninjas and samurai used guns.

sith_killer_99
08-13-2013, 10:53 PM
It was disgusting how they turned a good character into a typical female cliche, driven by daddy issues.

El Chuxter
08-13-2013, 11:38 PM
True. But you've got to admit: it was a major step up from what they did to Baroness. Someone should've gone to jail over that.

bigbarada
08-14-2013, 01:10 AM
I still cannot bring myself to actually sit down and watch GI Joe Retaliation. I think I still need about 2-3 more years to wash the memory of ROC out of my mind.

Tycho
08-14-2013, 10:00 PM
I watched the National Geographic Movie "SEAL Team 6: The Hunt for Osama Bin Laden," starring Anson Mount from "Hell on Wheels" and Barack Obama from "Healthcare on Waivers." ;) [I'm pro-Obama, behind our President, btw - it's just a joke not an invite to the Rancor Pit.]

But NatGeo put together an awesome production that told the official story. I have yet to see Zero-Dark-Thirty but now I want to more than ever!

JimJamBonds
08-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Metallica ~ Metallica. A BBC special on the making of said groups, said mentioned album.

Metallica ~ The Video's 1989 - 2004 Seems fairly self explanatory.

OC47151
08-16-2013, 12:45 PM
The Guns of Navarone. It wasn't the best of days (the AC went out and needs to be replaced). Thank God TCM was airing Navarone. Had some popcorn and soda and watched Atticus Finch kill some Nazis.

OC47151
08-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I watched the National Geographic Movie "SEAL Team 6: The Hunt for Osama Bin Laden," starring Anson Mount from "Hell on Wheels" and Barack Obama from "Healthcare on Waivers." ;) [I'm pro-Obama, behind our President, btw - it's just a joke not an invite to the Rancor Pit.]

But NatGeo put together an awesome production that told the official story. I have yet to see Zero-Dark-Thirty but now I want to more than ever!

I think NatGeo is making a flick on Bill O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy. Can't remember who's playing JFK but someone well-known.

I don't get NatGeo but it's available on OnDemand. I've been wanting to see the ST 6 movie. I like Anson Mount.

JimJamBonds
08-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I have yet to see Zero-Dark-Thirty but now I want to more than ever!
If you're expecting to see a big chunk of the film about the actual mission then you'll be let down. Its about a CIA (or was it NSA?) worker and their quest to find him. Don't get me wrong its good, but the actual mission takes place at the end of the film.

JimJamBonds
08-17-2013, 04:58 PM
A Mighty Wind. A favorite movie of mine that is in the theme of Spinal Tap except dealing with folk music.

OC47151
08-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Rear Window and To Catch a Thief. Had the opportunity to see these classic Hitchcock flicks on the big screen. To Catch a Thief is one of my favorite Hitchcock flicks, too. Boy, Grace Kelly was a hottie.

The Dogs of War. I had a VHS copy of this one but came across a copy on DVD real cheap and it was hard to pass up. Enjoyable Saturday nite flick. Told the kid working the counter, this was when Christopher Walken was still acting, not now-days, when he calls it in.

The Mummy's Hand and the Mummy's Tomb. Two entries in Universal's Mummy series.

Tycho
08-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Thank you Jim Jam. To you and OC47151

The NatGeo Seal Team Six was a lot of "GI Joe" prep time before its mission also, but there were was a great scene in the early years of Afghanistan too. Then it was also a story about a woman analyst who thought Bin Laden was in Pakistan and Leon Panetta's people's efforts to prove that so Obama could make the call - and he and Defense Secretary Gates risk an attack inside Pakistan which could (and did) kill (a singular) women and (actually 0) children.

Anson Mount played the cocky SEAL who challenged the leadership of "Cherry" the younger Sergeant who commanded the team ("Duke" if you will for the GI Joe fans). There was enough contention that Anson Mount's character actually physically fought Cherry for leadership of the team but their C.O. caught them and disciplined them. I guess that was a true story, too. But they were the best ops for the mission so they were sent in anyway. That might have been fiction too. It was nothing Panetta, Gates, or Obama were aware of.

Mount's character was allowed to have long hair and a beard on the SEALs team specifically so he could pose as an Arab. I believe he was trained to speak their language. So yes, he did film this while his hair was grown out to play Cullen on Hell on Wheels.

Also, as for Killing Lincoln - I think it was already released. I'd love to see that. I don't always agree with Bill O'Reilly but he is good at documenting and presenting history. He also did one called Killing Kennedy (but I would've implicated former President George H.W. Bush in that - a long story but I wasn't the only one who had these thoughts. After I researched it, I learned that former Governor Jesse Ventura also tried to prove it.)

Meanwhile, Discovery Channel just did another Shark Week. Of particular interest was Louisiana's VooDoo shark (it's a freshwater bullshark nearly the size of Jaws and possibly real - people are knocked off their boats and eaten, with pieces of the crafts being found abandoned). I put it in my novel that's set down there.

I have continued watching Miami Vice - I'm almost done with the 4th season now.

And I diverted to watch all 6 Star Wars movies. I haven't watched them in a long time.

I find I really enjoy all of them. Say what you will about the prequels, but Ewan McGreggor's Obi-Wan Kenobi is awesome!

Further more, I really appreciated the scenes in ESB with Luke training under Yoda. Maybe even mores so now that I've gotten to know Yoda in the prequels. I like the art of doing him as a puppet for ESB and ROTJ - especially ESB. I understand that wasn't possible for his battles with Tyranus and Sidious, but maybe they could have done more of a mix with a puppet and matching CGI?

JimJamBonds
08-25-2013, 10:04 PM
42, a pretty good flick. Han Solo played Branch Rickey who was responsible for bringing Jackie Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers and breaking the color barrier in baseball. This was better then other so called 'historically based sports movies', and they didn't whitewash things that were said, there were numerous N bombs and other similar words said to Robinson. While I think those words are terrible I think its good that they are used that way we get a better idea as to what happened.

Tycho
08-31-2013, 11:17 PM
42 was my favorite movie I saw this summer!

I have only seen Star Trek and Superman, but I intend to see Wolverine and The Butler.

With regards to the final film, only "The Butler" will probably give 42 a run for its Oscar Awards money.

It will be the 2nd "politically correct / relevant social issues movie of the season. On the same racial relations subject matter too. Only I think because 42 is going to be considered "less mainstream" since it's baseball, I fear it won't do as well.

That's unfortunate since because IT IS baseball, I have more of a penchant to liking it even though a tour through all the late 20th century Presidents in the White House would interest me too.

However, I would point out that there is NO BASEBALL DIAMOND on the White House south lawn and that is why the 2 movies cannot compare.

But it will be more politically correct to give the Oscar to Forrest Whitaker than to Harrison Ford. Unfortunate reverse discrimination though I love Forrest Whitaker's work myself. I just want to see Harrison get it for his best performance EVER!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, I watched The Fugitive and U.S. Marshalls.

Very good action flicks that'll make you think about our justice system even while you're watching train and plane crashes.

Now Tommy Lee Jones needs to make another one with a huge cruise liner crash. Unless they put him on a space ship...

JimJamBonds
09-03-2013, 08:54 PM
However, I would point out that there is NO BASEBALL DIAMOND on the White House south lawn and that is why the 2 movies cannot compare.
During the Bush presidency he (re) started the playing of Little League games at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

As for myself I watch Ironman the other day. Not bad but could there please be a somebody different to play Ms. Potts? PLEASE!?!?!?!

OC47151
09-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Seven Days in May (1964). Political thriller about the military wanting to take over the gov't. Solid performances by Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.

The Maiden Heist (2009). Art gallery security guards Christopher Walken, Morgan Freeman and William H. Macy are gonna steal their favorite pieces of art before the collection is shipped overseas. A quirky little flick that had some funny moments.

Tycho
09-08-2013, 04:58 AM
Jarhead and Three Kings - Both about the Persian Gulf War and the first time we fought to Saddam Hussein. I highly recommend these.

It's also cool to see movies from times you lived in.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2013, 09:48 AM
It's also cool to see movies from times you lived in.I guess that's why I enjoyed The Great Gatsby. :OnTheLevel: :flappers:

JimJamBonds
09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Independence Day, thank god Jeff Goldbloom and the Fresh Prince saved the world!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2013, 08:22 PM
But in Earth Girls Are Easy, wasn't Jeff an alien, AND a fly in another film? Wouldn't he have felt conflicted, killing creatures? ;)

Maradona
09-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Blue Jasmine, a very different Woody Allen film featuring a phenomenal performance by Cate Blanchett, was my weekend film this past Saturday. Andrew Dice Clay gave a truly realistic performance, as well.

JimJamBonds
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
But in Earth Girls Are Easy, wasn't Jeff an alien, AND a fly in another film? Wouldn't he have felt conflicted, killing creatures? ;)

I don't know. Plus he was also a chaostician, hopefully this will all get sorted out in Jurassic Independence Park Day.

Tycho
09-11-2013, 04:15 AM
Rules of Engagement with Sam Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones in a situation where civilians are killed when the Marines open fire on protestors outside the American Embassy in Yemen.

The story is fictional, but today we are living it at Benghazi. al-Qaeda must have saw the movie.

Then I watched Courage Under Fire with Denzyl Washington and Meg Ryan about the first woman to receive the Medal of Honor during Desert Storm.

JimJamBonds
09-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Jarhead and Three Kings - Both about the Persian Gulf War and the first time we fought to Saddam Hussein. I highly recommend these.
If you liked Jarhead then read the book. Its really good, much better then the film.

As for myself: Star Trek Into Darkness. Liked it, although I thought it went on for about 15 or so minutes too long. I don't know Kahn's story so that probably has something to do with it.

sith_killer_99
09-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Star Trek Into Darkness - I liked it, though I've heard some people didn't like what they did with Kahn. It worked fine for me.

World War Z - It ended up being much better than I thought it would. The super-fast zombie thing got to be a bit too much. I thought 28 Days Later had fast zombies. The next thing you know all the zombies are gonna be as fast as The Flash. lol

Tycho
09-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Fast zombies exist! Go to Wal-Mart on November 29th and you'll see proof.

I watched:

Con Air

I used to love this movie and I still like it, but first, it's very hard to take Nicholas Cage serious much of the time. I'm not his biggest fan. Some of his movies are better than others. This one was so-so for his part.

Ultimately, all the characters were over the top and this was dark comedy, not at all to be taken seriously.

I think it might have worked better if it were a more serious movie - at lest to the level that Breaking Bad is serious but has elements of dark comedy.

Con Air is full of archetypes and the characters become less tolerable as you get to know them.

Now:

I own this movie

I will probably watch it again - hopefully when I'm more in the mood for this sort of thing

I'd still recommend it

I will not be watching it for quite a long while though - unless of course I somehow see it on Spike or USA and just get mesmerized because I'm too lazy to change the channel.

OC47151
09-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Chillerama. A drive-in is closing down, and for its last night the owner is airing some rare, one-of-a-kind movies; the owner possesses the only prints of these movies. An interesting comedy-horror flick.

El Chuxter
09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Con Air

I used to love this movie and I still like it, but first, it's very hard to take Nicholas Cage serious much of the time. I'm not his biggest fan. Some of his movies are better than others. This one was so-so for his part.
Two words: Steve Buscemi.

JimJamBonds
09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Two words: Happy Gilmore.

Tycho
09-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Cape Fear

I Spit On Your Grave

Natural Born Killers

Red Dragon

In The Line Of Fire

Dave

The Soloist

John Q

I've been writing and I watch a movie when I take a break from it and gather a sense of feeling from a movie that I might want to create with my writing.

Since there are 8 movies I slowly viewed since I posted a week ago (about 1 per day, viewed intermittently throughout my writers' work day), I'll leave this open to discuss any film listed above that someone wants to discuss. I'd recommend all of them for varying different reasons.

JimJamBonds
09-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Metallica: Through The Never. The band plays while a roadie goes on a mission to pick something up for the band while all hell breaks lose.

Darth Metalmute
09-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Oblivion - In my opinion, top movie I've seen this year. (Keep in mind I don't get to see a lot of movies)

Now You See Me - This one was really good. I enjoyed it until the next day. Then it just seemed like the writers cheated.

G.I.Joe Retaliation - I think I would have enjoyed this more had a main character not died. The main battle at the end seem way too unbelievable though.

Tycho
09-30-2013, 05:23 AM
I watched:

2 Incredible Hulk movies.

I like Ang Lee's style with Eric Bana (played a great Bruce).

I liked the Ed Norton movie better!

4 Spider-Man movies.

I love all of them.

Dr. Octopus was probably the most interesting / best villain with the best back story. I'm not sure which is my favorite movie but I want to continue to see Spider-Man movies with new villains. No Green Goblin. Willem Dafoe was brilliant.

I heard Rhino-guy is going to be in the next one. Should be great!

The Social Network. Wow! The guy that founded Facebook was a jerk! Still it was really interesting and I recommend the movie.

JimJamBonds
10-06-2013, 09:06 PM
This Is The End. Seth Rogen and a bunch of other celebs are at a party at James Franco's house when the Apocalypse starts.

Emperor, Matthew Fox is a General in Japan right after WWII ended and its his job to figure out what to do with the Emperor of Japan. Was he guilty of war crimes? What did he know? etc. Tommy Lee Jones plays General MacAurthor

El Chuxter
10-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Tommy Lee Jones and Matthew Fox in a movie together, a movie based on Japanese history, no less?

Why was I not informed?

OC47151
10-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Battleship Potemkin. I'm not a big fan of silent movies but this Russian flick held my attention.

Tycho
10-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm watching The Walking Dead marathon on AMC (first episode to include all up to Sunday's season premier).

I've been DV-recording them. I may buy the DVDs someday. I really enjoy these. Every episode has been great so far. (I've never missed one but it's been a while since I've seen them.)

Maradona
10-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Battleship Potemkin. I'm not a big fan of silent movies but this Russian flick held my attention.

I just showed the Odessa Step Sequence to my film class. Nearly a hundred years after the film, it can still capture 17-year old attention spans.

OC47151
10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I just showed the Odessa Step Sequence to my film class. Nearly a hundred years after the film, it can still capture 17-year old attention spans.

It amazed me that the Russian gov't at the time allowed this type of movie to be made at that time.

OC47151
10-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Finished watching Incubus (1966). An odd movie for several reasons. What caught my attention was, it had the Shat in it. It was made one year before he became Kirk.

Secondly, it was shot in Esperanto, an odd mixture of different languages. Filmed in Cali but in a foreign language. Go figure.

Supposedly, it was thought all the prints and negatives of the film had been destroyed in a fire but one print was found in France.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Finished watching Incubus (1966).Pardon me? Stellar! Nice to know you. :p

I watched parts of [insert film title here]. Horrid, reprehensible "film;" despicable premise. Waste of celluloid or digital memory, whichever format it was made. Don't know why I couldn't turn away from it, so what's that say about me, then? :(

OC47151
11-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Four Days in November (1964). A well-done documentary about the JFK assassination. One detail that caught my attention was this: Everyone's seen the footage of Oswald being shot and loaded into the ambulance. But the doc showed him arriving at Parkland, where he was taken to the same trauma room and treated by the same ER docs who worked on JFK just two days before.

Somewhere in my house, I have a VHS recording of this doc. Joe Bob Briggs showed it one time on Monster Vision back in the 90s.

Tycho
11-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I was way into JFK conspiracy stuff since the Oliver Stone film. For some reason, every cable news channel covering it constantly has turned me off.

I'm recording these programs to watch when they're done being repeated over and over again and probably going to ignore what I have until I get to watching it in January or something LOL

I have all 7 seasons of The Shield on DVD (LA cop corruption story).

In line that we have the exact same tastes OC - I recommend you watch these. Written by Sons of Anarchy exec / writer / Otto actor Kurt Sutter and created by Shawn Ryan.

You've probably watched these already though I can't remember.

OC47151
11-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Was a big fan of the Shield when it was on. The final ep still haunts me. FX has been very good to Walton Goggins.

I have two JFK specials, both from the History Channel, to watch, but they may set there are a bit.

Judgment at Nurenburg (1961). Excellent court drama about four Nazi judges on trial for their crimes during the war. Burt Lancaster plays one of the Nazis. Spencer Tracy is the American judge presiding over the tribunal.

JimJamBonds
11-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Ironman II, ok, I still don't like Pepper.

Maradona
11-27-2013, 11:51 PM
The four plus hours of special features on the The Hobbit special edition set. Very extensive and informative to say the least...

OC47151
12-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Wake Island. One of those WWII movies made during the war. Brian Donlevy and MacDonald Carey (the old man from Days of Our Lives) are Marines on the beleaguered island. Carey is a Marine pilot.

Castle Keep. Burt Lancaster WWII flick set during the Battle of the Bulge. It's an odd little flick.

Cross of Iron (1977). Sam Peckinpah's only WWII movie starring James Coburn. It's from the German point of view on the Eastern Front in 1943.

And too many Hallmark Channel and Lifetime Christmas movies to count!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Another great ESPN "30 For 30" special: "Youngstown Boys," about Ohio State Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel and player Maurice Clarett, and both of their troubles resulting in each being let go by the university.

Tycho
12-16-2013, 02:11 AM
I recorded some more Jodi Arias' news / re-enactment stuff from the Oxygen Channel.

I'm fascinated by Jodi. Great femme fatale character.

I really liked Dirty Little Secret - a Lifetime Channel movie about her.

When I write, I embellish the character with Angelina Jolie characteristics. The combined "Angjodina" character is awesome once she has knowledge of the martial arts and fully automatic weapons.

OC47151
12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Gremlins. A nice little movie for the Christmas season.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Gremlins. A nice little movie for the Christmas season.One of my friends saw that one and A Christmas Story yesterday at a movie double feature.

JimJamBonds
12-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Lawless. Meh, unless you like the lead from the crappy Transformer movies.

OC47151
12-16-2013, 09:53 PM
One of my friends saw that one and A Christmas Story yesterday at a movie double feature.

Since it is the 30th anniversary, I've been hoping a theatre airs A Christmas Story but no luck. I saw it when it first came out in '83. The next year, one of the area's second-run theatres played it.

bigbarada
12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and loved it. Planning to see it again here soon.

Also went with some friends of mine to see the premiere of Anchorman 2 last night. It was funnier than I expected, but I wasn't really expecting much from the movie. Like most Will Ferrell movies, many of the gags went on way too long after they stopped being funny.

OC47151
12-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and loved it. Planning to see it again here soon.

It's on my list to see. Unfortunately, I might have to wait until next weekend or New Year's Day before I have time to see it.

Mob City. TNT did a great job with this limited series/mini-series. Great acting, smart dialogue, but what did you expect from Frank Darabont? I find that period of time very interesting and hope it returns.

JimJamBonds
12-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Scrubs Season II, dang that is good stuff. And all the characters (even the older ones) look so young!

Tycho
12-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Mob City. TNT did a great job with this limited series/mini-series. Great acting, smart dialogue, but what did you expect from Frank Darabont? I find that period of time very interesting and hope it returns.

OC47151, this is your clone here, OC47150.

I too recorded Mob City on TNT.

We have a third clone. His call-sign designation is "David," and he doesn't receive cable.

So due to lack of time, and nothing like the sort of any less interest than my other clone (you), I am waiting to watch these with David. We've just had trouble coordinating any time because of all the holiday parties and the extra work our jobs have demanded of us to get things done before the end of the year.

You better believe I can't wait to watch these.

However, I have finished watching all the Oxygen Channel 2-part series on Jodi Arias. I'm still so into that girl. Fatal Attraction Phoenix Arizona style. Wow she's a great role model for a serious femme fatale character.

Speaking of which, I also finally finished watching Salt with Angelina Jolie and Liev Schreiber. Great flick.

JimJamBonds
12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Lewis and Clark Great Journey West. Its not as good as it was in imax but its still decent.

OC47151
12-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Christmas Vacation. Nothing like an old-fashioned family-fun vacation with the Griswolds. A family viewing tradition at my house.

A Christmas Carol (1999). Watched the TNT production with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge. The wife and I saw the play production at Actors Theatre this year, and I've been watching different versions to compare.

Carol for Another Christmas (1964). A variation on A Christmas Carol that was made for TV and only aired once in '64 until last year on TCM. It's a modern 60s twist on the old story. Sterling Hayden is Scrooge, but his name is Grudge. I found it kinda depressing.

JimJamBonds
12-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Denis Leary: No Cure For Cancer, a great standup special from 1992.

sith_killer_99
12-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Well, yesterday was Christmas, so tradition dictates that I watch the Doctor Who Christmas special. This year it was titled "The Time of the Doctor".

Matt Smith dies, not giving away anything there as everyone already knew this was his last episode, I watched the farewell to Matt Smith special before the Christmas special aired. It was okay, pretty much your standard Who documentary/special, Chris Hardwick talking about how awesome Smith was as the Doctor, Karen and Arthur and Matt talking about how amazing it's all been, David and Matt hanging out and doing interviews, blah blah blah.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Went to see Saving Private Banks, er Saving Mr. Banks. ;) Not as "feel good" as I expected, but it was quite good. Enjoyed watching the backgrounds for settings (they often film "old" airport scenes at the old terminal of the one near me); I really like period pieces. The same extras casting company that I was part of was used for this film.

OC47151
01-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Finally got to see The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug today. Went to an 11:40 a.m. showing, and apparently other people had the same idea as I did. Go to the movies on New Year's Day. Really enjoyed it. Thought it flowed better than the first one (which I need to see again) and had more action.

JimJamBonds
01-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Boardwalk Empire Season III, good stuff, although it seemed obvious who the main bad guy would be this season it was still great to watch.

Lord Malakite
01-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Just got my Power Rangers Legacy: The First 20 Years DVD set today. :congratulatory: 766 episodes, a television movie, and 36+ hours of bonus content. I am going to be so busy. :emmersed:

JimJamBonds
01-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Ironman III, still not a fan of Ms Potts.

OC47151
01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
SW: the OT. It's been a long time since I've watched the OT uninterrupted, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And it is better on Blu-Ray!

The Hindenberg (1975). Not too suspenseful but still an interesting movie that introduces an interesting theory on the zeppelin's destruction. And George C. Scott -- Patton himself! -- is a Nazi.

JimJamBonds
01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
The Hindenberg (1975). Not too suspenseful but still an interesting movie that introduces an interesting theory on the zeppelin's destruction. And George C. Scott -- Patton himself! -- is a Nazi.
I think his best role was in Man Getting Hit In The Groin With a Football... but thats just me.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
I think his best role was in Man Getting Hit In The Groin With a Football... but thats just me.Hey; that won an award, didn't it?

JimJamBonds
01-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Yes, yes it did.

El Chuxter
01-07-2014, 12:48 AM
SuckerPunch - ugh, what a piece of crap this movie ended up being. It was recommended by a few friends of mine and even the girl at the video store told me it was one of her favorite movies of all time and went on and on about how she owned the soundtrack and who sang all of the tracks. Anyways, so I started watching it with high expectations, and I can respect what Zack Snyder was trying to do here (and I did get what the concept of the film was supposed to be), I just don't think it worked... at all. Maybe on paper or in the idea stages this sounded like a great idea for a movie, but the final result just seemed to fall apart. Especially when the film tries to confuse you about who was actually the main heroine of the story. I guess this was supposed to be a "girl power" movie, but the message it sends is anything but. Basically what this movie tells young girls is that all men are evil and only interested in raping them and the only way for girls to fight back is through prostitution.
I watched this tonight, hoping despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews that it was one of those movies that people hate because they're not smart enough to "get" it. (Not a jab at you, BigB; it just looked like it should be that sort of movie, and, well, most moviegoers I know were confused by The Truman Show.) It seems on paper like it should be a really intelligent, trippy movie. It was entirely flash, no substance at all. With even a little depth, or some cleaning up of the script, this could've been great; the visuals alone, I thought, were enough to recommend anyone see it once. But not twice. And not expecting much.

The ending was a slap in the face. I can't be more blunt about it. It broke every rule of storytelling, and not for any real purpose. Just a mess. A pretty mess, but a mess nonetheless.

Maradona
01-07-2014, 06:14 PM
I can't be more blunt about it.

No pun, intended?

I remember seeing this in the theaters and thinking I was playing a video game at a strip club. Stunning visual set-ups and character designs. Amazingly easy to look at actresses. Atypical story concept. Ultimately, it was akin to looking at the reflection of nighttime neon city lights and twinkling stars in a sewer run-off puddle down some rank alleyway and mistaking the quality of the water for the beauty of the image. The film could have been so much more. I think it would make for a cool film class project: "OK, students, here's the assignment: reedit this movie to have a coherent story."

Tycho
01-08-2014, 05:52 PM
I watched Human Trafficking and am working on The Debt.

Excellent films. Ask if you have questions.

El Chuxter
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Excellent films. Ask if you have questions.
Do I have questions? lol

sith_killer_99
01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I watched this tonight, hoping despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews that it was one of those movies that people hate because they're not smart enough to "get" it. (Not a jab at you, BigB; it just looked like it should be that sort of movie, and, well, most moviegoers I know were confused by The Truman Show.) It seems on paper like it should be a really intelligent, trippy movie. It was entirely flash, no substance at all. With even a little depth, or some cleaning up of the script, this could've been great; the visuals alone, I thought, were enough to recommend anyone see it once. But not twice. And not expecting much.

The ending was a slap in the face. I can't be more blunt about it. It broke every rule of storytelling, and not for any real purpose. Just a mess. A pretty mess, but a mess nonetheless.

I agree, it reminded me of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Free HBO channels weekend! :D Saw Muppets From Space, where Gonzo finds out he really is an alien. As usual, lots of cameo appearances throughout.

OC47151
01-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Monolith Monsters (1956). Gotta love the old Universal flicks.

Human Centipede. Fear.net was showing this for free OnDemand. I'd been wanting to check it out for some time since I first learned of it 1 - 2 years ago. The premise was interesting yet disturbing. Glad I didn't buy a copy.

Lord Malakite
01-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Monolith Monsters (1956). Gotta love the old Universal flicks.
You were watching Svengoolie last night, weren't you?

Human Centipede. Fear.net was showing this for free OnDemand. I'd been wanting to check it out for some time since I first learned of it 1 - 2 years ago. The premise was interesting yet disturbing. Glad I didn't buy a copy.
Be more glad it was only the first one you saw. Human Centipede 2 is even more disturbing. In related news, Human Centipede 3 is supposed to come out sometime this year.

OC47151
01-12-2014, 04:21 PM
You were watching Svengoolie last night, weren't you?

Be more glad it was only the first one you saw. Human Centipede 2 is even more disturbing.

Every Saturday night. I record and watch it Sunday morning before church.

And next week is one of my favorite pieces of 50s cheese: the Mole People!!!

I heard that about HC 2. I first saw HC at a local used video store. I didn't want to pay $15; don't like making blind purchases at that price. Then a few weeks later, I saw that Target (!) was selling it. That intrigued me even more.

I check out Fear.net OnDemand pretty regularly for the free movies. Saw Zombie Strippers and Tuck and Dale Vs. Evil in the last year.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-12-2014, 07:49 PM
One of the best movies I've seen in a theater in a long time: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I loved the short story, and it translated well to the big screen. The young ladies behind me didn't get many of the jokes, while I LOL'd at will. Great!

OC47151
01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
The Stunt Man. Peter O'Toole is a Sam Peckinpah-like director filming a WWI movie. Steven Railsback is a criminal on the run who becomes the primary stuntman on the set. Not bad, but I like My Favorite Year better.

Another Dawn (1937). Errol Flynn actioneer set in a fictional Middle Eastern country after WWI. What can I say, I'm a sucker for an Errol Flynn movie.

Came across a quirky British comedy on PBS called SPY. A middle-aged, divorced father quits his dead-end job at an electronics store, takes a public service test and finds himself in MI-5. The main character, Tim, has a friend at the store. The friend's name tag read "Bored." Thought it was pretty humorous.

OC47151
01-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Marlowe (1969). Another take on Raymond Chandler's classic detective, Philip Marlowe, this time starring James Garner in late 1960s LA. I liked Garner's take on Marlowe better than Elliott Gould's in The Long Goodbye.

Also watched the last of the JFK assassination specials I had DVR'd: Lee Harvey Oswald - 48 Hours to Live. Very interesting. The head Dallas police detective thought theorized there was more to what was going on but with Oswald's death, never proved it.

bigbarada
01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
A Scanner Darkly - It's an experimental animated film that uses a form of digital rotoscoping to create a look that I don't think is as technically impressive as what the animators were hoping for. It stars Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, and Winona Ryder and with the way the film is animated it's pretty easy to figure out who they are. The downside of rotoscoping is that the actors usually have to ham it up quite a bit more so that their expressions aren't lost in the process and there seems to be a lot of that in this movie. Still, it's worth watching at least once; but there is a lot of sex, foul language and nudity and the entire story is about drug addiction, so it's not a kids' cartoon by any means.

OC47151
01-22-2014, 07:52 PM
The Beginning or the End (1947). A fictional and compressed account of the development of the atomic bomb. Brian Dunlevy was Gen. Groves, Hume Cronyn was Oppenheimer, and Barry Nelson was Paul Tibbets, pilot of the Enola Gay.

Duel at Diablo (1966). Western starring James Garner and Sidney Poitier.

Sherlock, the Empty Hearse. First ep of season 3. Loved it.

sith_killer_99
01-25-2014, 11:59 AM
DCU Justice League: War it's not dark like Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox it's much more light-hearted with some fun banter thrown in between the characters, especially between Green Lantern and Batman. It's an origins story based on the New 52 or whatever DC is calling the current continuity.

It's not just a Justice League origins, but they tie in the Cyborg origin story as well, which was kinda cool.

The animation was pretty good, though I'm not really digging the whole "my neck is way bigger than my head" look. Also, they did a poor job with Wonder Woman's character, IMO.

OC47151
01-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Klute (1971). Detective drama/thriller starring Jane Fonda as a call girl and Donald Sutherland as the detective trying to find clues to a missing man.

Sisters of War (2010). Caught this one off PBS. It's a WWII tale about an Aussie army nurse and a nun caught in New Guinea. Interesting.

Act of Valor (2012). The action movie which used real Navy SEALs. Not a bad story. Good action sequences.

Embryo (1976). Rock Hudson is a scientist who creates a woman from an embryo and there's some funky consequences!

bigbarada
01-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Rollercoaster (1977) - one of those 1970s disaster flicks. The story was fairly interesting, but felt really small for a motion picture: some guy threatens to blow up roller coasters for ransom money. Most modern television dramas have more intricate plots. It was clearly a movie that the studios expected it to be a huge financial success, but it was completely trounced at the box office by another movie released that same year. I'll let you all guess which movie that was.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Rollercoaster (1977) - one of those 1970s disaster flicks. ... but it was completely trounced at the box office by another movie released that same year. I'll let you all guess which movie that was.Darn you, Annie Hall! Ruined another film's chances, eh? ;)

I saw this movie in the channel guide while surfing around this weekend BB, but it wasn't enough to get me to watch.

Lord Malakite
01-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Recently watched Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie (1995) and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997). Tossed them into my Power Rangers television marathon of watching the entire franchise. After all, whats another 2 DVDs added to the 98 others I already have to watch/check in my Legacy Helmet 20th Anniversary DVD set. :laugh:

OC47151
02-02-2014, 03:35 PM
My Super Bowl tradition continued this weekend. Watched Black Sunday (1977) and Two-Minute Warning (1976), and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Trog (1970). Joan Crawford's last movie about a prehistoric man found living in a cave in England.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Saw Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star on cable, which was a bad movie. A quick interwebs search showed that it grossed about $2.5 million. How did it make THAT much?

bigbarada
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I watched Lone Survivor last Friday and thought it was excellent. I read the book a few years ago and I've actually met Marcus Luttrell a couple of times; so I was probably predisposed to liking this movie, but I'd still highly recommend it.

Tycho
02-04-2014, 04:22 PM
OC - thanks for ACT OF VALOR.

I mean to make time to watch that (as soon as I have time).

JimJamBonds
02-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Mad Men Season 6, good show, although I think this coming up season will be a good time to end it.

Tycho
02-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Finishing The Debt.

Excellent movie!

OC47151
02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Marooned (1969). Astronauts Richard Crenna, Gene Hackman and James Franciscus are marooned in space, and the space agency has to figure out how to get them home. Gregory Peck is in charge of Mission Control, and David Jansen is one of his astronauts.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951). A younger Obi-Wan is a meek little account who masterminds a gold bullion robbery from his employer.

Take the High Ground (1954). Richard Widmark is a Korean War veteran, now drill instructor trying to pass on his wisdom to new recruits.

Gamera (1965). Nothing like a giant turtle attacking Tokyo!

JimJamBonds
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Gamera (1965). Nothing like a giant turtle attacking Tokyo!
I was introduced to Gamera by the boys on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Gamera is really neat,
he is filled with turtle meat,
we all love you Gamera!

Maradona
02-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Watched Justice League: War and I must say that I have never been so disappointed with a DC animated feature. As good as last year's Flashpoint Paradox was, this was its equivalent in bad. The source material was deficient enough in its reinterpretation of the origin of the league, but this adaptation lacked even the basic elements that have traditionally made the DC animated films: strong voices, tight script, fidelity to the characters. Bruce Timm has been gone for a few films now, and no disrespect intended towards James Tucker, but this is the first which decidedly begs to have his influence back. And, sadly, it appears that on the docket of upcoming films is a sequel to this one. On the plus side, the bluray has bonus invasion themed episodes Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice - both of which are FAR superior to this.

JimJamBonds
02-14-2014, 08:47 PM
You are my biggest fan.

That Thing You Do! Extended Cut. Still a great song and a good movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2014, 10:12 PM
You are my biggest fan.

That Thing You Do! Extended Cut. Still a great song and a good movie.Did you see me? In the scene with the bad contest in Pittsburgh? Almost 4 seconds of screen time!

JimJamBonds
02-15-2014, 09:33 PM
For real?

Tonight I took down another classic, This Is Spinal Tap!

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2014, 09:04 AM
For real?I'll show you... that Bel-Cam you do (see; if you squint)!

JimJamBonds
02-17-2014, 09:09 PM
I'll show you... that Bel-Cam you do (see; if you squint)!Seems a little sketchy.
:adjoint:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Seems a little sketchy.
:adjoint:Well, here's the check I earned for that day of extra work. : proof: But that really is me in the crowd, filmed at the Orpheum Theater in LA, that doubled as the Orpheum Theater in Pittsburgh. :how'reyasleeping?:

El Chuxter
02-17-2014, 10:25 PM
The lower half of the face does indeed look like the lower half of Bel-Cam's face. However, this could actually be an obscure Batman villain called, um, Half-Bel-Cam-Face.

Luckily, the extended cut on the blu-ray includes an extensive subplot where Bel-Cam plays a bounty hunter hired by the mob to capture Tom Hanks. Which he does, putting the entire rest of the movie at risk until the Fantastic Four (the version from the unreleased Roger Corman film) rescue Hanks and the movie continues.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Chux, I thought I could trust you to post "Spoiler Alert" statements. :mad: Why should anyone see the movie now, nor its sequels? I'll admit, the 4th film was really weak in the middle, but the ending definitely makes up for that. JJB, I apologize for this Forumite ruining the movie that you obviously already saw, exactly as El Chuxter posted.

Oh, and Love and Other Drugs has been a movie I've seen on cable often this weekend.

OC47151
02-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Picnic (1955). William Holden gets a bunch of ladies all excited over the Labor Day holiday.

The Killer (1989). Chow Yun Fat and John Woo. Need I say more? But I will: Fat is a hit man who accidentally blinds a cabaret singer during a job. He takes work to raise enough money so she can get a cornea transplant. Nice action sequences.

Gambit (1966). Michael Caine is a cat burglar who employs Shirley MacLaine to help him on a heist. Never knew the two of them worked together before I saw this movie.

On the Beach (1959). The aftermath of a nuclear war and how it affects survivors living in Australia. I don't know why but I find this film depressing yet fascinating at the same time. Good performances by Gregory Peck and Fred Astaire.

JimJamBonds
02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Well, here's the check I earned for that day of extra work. : proof: But that really is me in the crowd, filmed at the Orpheum Theater in LA, that doubled as the Orpheum Theater in Pittsburgh. :how'reyasleeping?:

Hmm, well thats certainly a check but I can't really see anything on it...so does this mean I need to post a pic of myself from the Unwigged and Unplugged concert that I show up in (along with 2-1B)???? http://www.amazon.com/Unwigged-Unplugged-Live-Concert-DVD/dp/B002G1X2WE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392862940&sr=8-1&keywords=unwigged+and+unplugged

Tycho
02-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I've been re-watching the complete series of Breaking Bad. I'm currently finishing season 3 in my marathon, "b#^CH!"

Bel-Cam Jos
03-02-2014, 06:41 PM
SyFy's had Raiders of the Lost Ark on this weekend; man, I'd forgotten just how great this movie is.

Tycho
03-02-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm watching THOR for my first time.

I'm finding I'm actually enjoying it.

I objected to superheroes (besides Superman) being alien "gods" or something, but this is kind of interesting.

Thor is the main reason I never saw Avengers, Thor 2, or Ironman 3. I am revisiting that decision now and possibly correcting it depending upon what my final opinion of Thor is.

I do have this compulsive urge to stand out on my balcony and scream to all my neighbors that "I am THOR! Master of the Universe!"

I will let you know if I drink enough to the point where I accomplish this. I think it will go over big!

bigbarada
03-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Finally got around to seeing Pacific Rim the other day and I thought it was awesome. It's definitely a movie I'll be watching again and I'm kind of wishing that I had made more of an effort to catch it in theaters when it was originally released.

OC47151
03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Fail Safe (1965). An Air Force bomber received incorrect orders to bomb Moscow, and the US and Russian gov'ts are trying to stop it.

King Rat (1965). Not your typical WWII POW meeting in the vein of Stalag 17 or Bridge on the River Kwai. It's more about survival than anything. George Segal is an American POW who's running a black market operation within the prison.

Black Dynamite (2006). I've missed seeing this movie until recently. Laughed my butt off.

JediTricks
03-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Green Lantern: First Flight - simple but not terrible. Christopher Meloni is woefully miscast as Hal Jordan.

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths - middling at best, there just was no room to tell a more nuanced and interesting story, so it was just good v. bad, and not creative about what it was trying to do at all.

Valkyrie - decent enough yarn, not one of Bryan Singer's best but still compelling to the end.

Jack Reacher - interesting movie, loses dramatic steam in favor of a big shootout ending, but otherwise fairly compelling way to get tiny Tom Cruise to feel like a believable tough guy investigating a mass shooting.

Tycho
03-07-2014, 03:15 AM
I re-watched all 6 SW movies over the past couple-weeks, in parts when I had time.

Different times, different movies are my favorite.

Return of the Jedi is my current favorite. I just am not getting tired of that movie: Jabba's Palace and the huge space battle and green of Endor, plus the final conflict between Vader and Luke - really cool to watch while being able to compare it to Tyranus and Anakin fighting before Sidious in E3.

DarthQuack
03-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Currently enjoying the WWE Network on my Apple TV.

Decided to start way back at the beginning of WCW/NWA with Starrcade '83 and have been watching them in order so far....although I think they're missing a few Great American Bash's.

Good stuff so far! :)

bigbarada
03-09-2014, 12:51 AM
I finally got around to watching Man of Steel for the second time. I saw it when it came out in theaters and thought it was awesome, but then I started talking to coworkers and friends of mine and they all seemed to unanimously think it was horrible. So I decided to go ahead and test how renting movies on iTunes works and to see just how HD their HD movies are. So I picked MOS and I just got done watching it. I have to say that I like the movie even more the second time around.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why everyone seems to be so up in arms against this movie. As a kid who grew up a Superman fan, this is the Superman movie I've always wanted to see. Ah well, I guess people are just kind of stuck in the Christopher Reeve Superman rut and can't get out. But I think comparing Man of Steel to the Richard Donner films is a bit like comparing Christian Bale's Batman to the Adam West Batman and complaining that they're not the same. They're not supposed to be the same.

JimJamBonds
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
After seeing a commerical with Striker and Murdock to come and visit Wisconsin I watched Airplane! Don't Call Me Shirley Edition. Yeah it looks like a movie that was from the early 80's but there are so many one liners and gags the movie is still a great thing to watch.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2014, 07:51 PM
After seeing a commerical with Striker and Murdock to come and visit Wisconsin I watched Airplane! Don't Call Me Shirley Edition. Yeah it looks like a movie that was from the early 80's but there are so many one liners and gags the movie is still a great thing to watch.What's different about this edition, JJB? Cut or extended scenes? Or just commentary?

Tycho
03-15-2014, 02:11 AM
I finally got around to watching Man of Steel for the second time. I saw it when it came out in theaters and thought it was awesome, but then I started talking to coworkers and friends of mine and they all seemed to unanimously think it was horrible. So I decided to go ahead and test how renting movies on iTunes works and to see just how HD their HD movies are. So I picked MOS and I just got done watching it. I have to say that I like the movie even more the second time around.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why everyone seems to be so up in arms against this movie. As a kid who grew up a Superman fan, this is the Superman movie I've always wanted to see. Ah well, I guess people are just kind of stuck in the Christopher Reeve Superman rut and can't get out. But I think comparing Man of Steel to the Richard Donner films is a bit like comparing Christian Bale's Batman to the Adam West Batman and complaining that they're not the same. They're not supposed to be the same.

First, I like your post (and the MoS movie) BigBarada.

Nest, I'll add that I think Russel Crowe's performance as Jor-El stole the movie! He was awesome and I loved how in this version of Superman, you see Jor-El or his computerized interactive hologram actually take part in the action of the film - and he's awesome!

Jor-El was the "anti-Brainiac" on Kal's side in this movie. I watch this film just for Russel Crowe's great job he did.

Ultimate Cast:

Clark / Kal-El: Tom Welling
Lois Lane: Margot Kidder
Lex Luthor: tie - Michael Rosenbaum / Kevin Spacey
Lana Lang: Kristin Kruek
Jonathon Kent: John Schneider
Martha Kent: O'Toole (forgot the Smallville mom's first name)
Joe-El: Russel Crowe
Lara (Kryptonian Mom - I think Linda Carter aka WonderWoman guest starred on Smallville to play her)
General Zod (new guy from MoS)
Brainiac - Spike dude from Buffy that was on Smallville
Green Arrow - Robby Amel (Arrow TV show)
Bruce Wayne / Batman - Michael Keaton, but Christian Bale is very good - especially in DK Rises

Basically, I totally get behind Smallville, but there are SOME good discrepancies.

What I like about Tom Welling OVER Christopher Reeve, is that Tom sometimes shows Kal-El can get mad, can lose patience, and he's not always "Super"-NICE.

Superman has to "do the right thing" and be a good guy at the end of the day. But Christopher Reeve is even nice to Lex and Zod.

He can do the right, truthfully just thing in the end, but I want to let Kal-El HATE. Yeah, I like him being pushed to his dark side and want revenge or give up on someone like Zod. In MoS, the actor really pushed him to hating Zod and actually killing him -and Superman doesn't kill. I like the story it told when he made a singular exception.

He also wouldn't punch out Lex Luthor. He could kill a human that way. But I think in some future film, Lex could push him so far that Kal destroys a rock or the ground next to him because he is driven to such anger by Lex that he wants to kill him.

If Lex ever killed Lois Lane or Lana Lang, for example.

Christopher Reeve defined the character but he almost always was smiling.

I'd be having Superman be almost like "Lex - I want to kill you! I really do! But I won't. It'd be too easy and thus too wrong for me, who's so powerful next to you. But you know what? You've actually made me hate you so much, that I'm going to spend serious time hoping someone kills you. I'm all out of patience with you now."

That would be a dramatic, maybe memorable dialogue for a hero like Kal.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Rocky IV, the first time I'd seen it straight through in a long time. It has it all: pathos and a patriotic and human call to action, decent movie-quality Russian accents, full-song montages, flashbacks of the first three movies, juxtaposed training sequences, an inspirational and translated speech for unity, steroid-created abs.

Then I watched the first 15 minutes or so of the Vth film. No desire to see it all the way through, though.

JimJamBonds
03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
What's different about this edition, JJB? Cut or extended scenes? Or just commentary?
I think its bonus stuff, I didn't listen to the commentary so I can't really comment on that.

Tycho
03-18-2014, 05:31 AM
I watched a Transformers movie marathon with Michael Bay's films.

I really like all of them.

Well done.

DarthQuack
03-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Looking forward to the 4th one?

Just watching RAW on speed watching.

TeeEye7
03-19-2014, 05:51 PM
The Blue Max.

Wonderful aerial photography. Still holds up since 1966.

Tycho
03-20-2014, 03:02 AM
Darth Quack:

I am nervous about the 4th Transformers film.

That there will be a good reason for Dinobots. G1 and Wheeljack's experiment was plausible, but now "Wheeljack," (Q) is dead. Killed by Decepticons.

That Galvatron's character is handled appropriately. Optimus destroyed everything of Megatron down the melting the microscopic pieces. That battle in Chicago dealt finality to the character unless he's able to upload himself into a drone. The "MotorMaster" cab-over version of Galvatron is awfully weak for that character.

There should be a reason for Optimus' new "hot rod truck show look," as I think it's looking ridiculous. I got used to the flames, but c'mon!

Hound being reimagined as a larger Cybertronian totally changes his character as a Scout, and someone who can slip away and keep a low profile. Hound was one of my favorite G1 characters and he had the first friendship with "Spike" or Sam Witwicky before the G1 cartoon decided to go with BumbleBee by the 2nd or 3rd episode. It still made a small Hound who was an independent, sort of a loner, explorer type, a really cool character.

My favorite G1's from sn 1 besides Optimus were:

Mirage (who could cloak) - and is now there as Dino the Ferrari but way under-developed as a character thus far.

Wheeljack - who Michael Bay made older than the character used to be - and then killed him.

Hound - already explained.

They also killed Jazz without too much character development.

Ironhide as another favorite - moreso than Jazz, but the MB films have handled Ironhide very well. They must never kill Ratchet however.

Next, rumor has it the Stunticons will be in this movie and the Dinobots will be required to defeat Menasour - originally Devastator in G1 - but the US Navy disassembled Devastator in ROTF.

I also hope that Galvatron is not the main body of Menasaur in combined mode, like MotorMaster would've been. It takes away from Galvatron's independence as leader - maybe. Depends on how it's done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TeeEye - I love The Blue Max. Great WWI movie. I bought a copy for myself. You probably also enjoy (or would enjoy) Flyboys.

TeeEye7
03-21-2014, 07:38 AM
TeeEye - I love The Blue Max. Great WWI movie. I bought a copy for myself. You probably also enjoy (or would enjoy) Flyboys.

I've meant to see Flyboys but never have. Thanks for the reminder!

OC47151
03-21-2014, 09:16 AM
I've meant to see Flyboys but never have. Thanks for the reminder!
The aerial action in Flyboys is good, but it can't replace the real planes used in the Blue Max. But I do need to watch both again.

Mr. Majestyx (1971). Bronson is a watermelon farmer (insert laugh) and has to get mean when he crosses paths with baddies.

Grand Prix (1966) and Le Mans (1971). Two great movies that depict the European autoracing scene. James Garner's in Grand Prix, which follows the racing circuit season, and the King of Cool is at the 24-hour French endurance race.

If it's Tuesday, it must be Belguim (1966). A comedy about one of those see-8-countries-in-16-days films. It was amusing but reminds me why I don't want to take a packaged tour like that.

World Gone Wild (1987). One of the post-nuclear war flicks set in 2087 where water is the big item. The wonderfully weird Bruce Dern assembles a team of fighters, ala Magnificient 7, to fend off Adam Ant (yes, that Adam Ant) and his crew.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Got sucked into not only Predator, but the no-commercials, non-cable-edited version. Easily Schwarzenegger's best movie.

JimJamBonds
03-22-2014, 09:13 PM
I tried watching Thor 2 twice but it just didn't hold my interest so I gave up on it.

Tycho
03-23-2014, 03:00 PM
I love Predator and I agree, I'm not really into Thor.

JimJamBonds
03-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Metallica Through The Never. Good, not as good as it was the first time I saw it at an IMAX theater.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Saw most of Iron Man 3. I can see why some felt this wasn't true to the character's/villain's history. But it looked cool.

JediTricks
03-26-2014, 07:05 PM

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why everyone seems to be so up in arms against this movie. As a kid who grew up a Superman fan, this is the Superman movie I've always wanted to see. Ah well, I guess people are just kind of stuck in the Christopher Reeve Superman rut and can't get out. But I think comparing Man of Steel to the Richard Donner films is a bit like comparing Christian Bale's Batman to the Adam West Batman and complaining that they're not the same. They're not supposed to be the same.Oh man, last summer just before Comic-Con I had some time to take my sister to the movies, it's a rare occasion, I was paying her back for her putting me up during termite tenting at my place. Someone had said Man of Steel was something I "had to see", so I took my sis even though it's not her type of thing, but she felt like it might be interesting. We both HATED it almost equally and generally for the same reasons.

- The beginning feels like it badly wants to stand in contrast to Avatar and a few other movies, it's loud and shooty and ends up dull as hell.
- "We can't save Krypton because we don't have the resources, but let's put our prisoners into this REALLY COMPLICATED SPACESHIP!"
- Superman isn't Superman at any point, he doesn't become Superman, he just gets handed powers and fights and kills.
- He at no point saves Smallville or Metropolis, but he does get them half wiped out.
- In fact, he doesn't save anybody who is normal, unless you count fighting a giant spider.
- Lois figures out his secret super easy, and just gets around to the perfect locations when she's needed.
- Jor-El's spirit does way too much of the heavy lifting and could have just told Superman what to do in the first damned place.
- "No, that's ok Clark, don't easily save me from this tornado, make sure your secret gets hidden even though everybody in town already knows because the fat kid is a blabbermouth who has no sense of loyalty to the person that SAVED HIS LIFE. Nah, stay there."
- "It's dangerous to go alone, take this superman suit."
- And while you're at it, don't ask questions about how the suit gets on the scout ship. Oh yeah, and the scout ship, why didn't you throw that at the bad guys' ship?
- These powers are hard to use for Superman, but easy for Zod!
- Metropolis doesn't really seem to exist in this movie at all, it gets blowed up and we see the secretary die but that's it, nobody but Perry White and Jimmy Olson live there.
- Uh, hey there Zod, you just killed a million people, let's fight it out. Oh, you're going to kill another? Well have some neck-snap! Craaaaack! Good times. Sure, I could have just put my hand over your eyes, but hey, it's the New 52 baby!

I have been a fair-weather Superman fan all my life, while my sister couldn't care less about the character. This movie was grating, nothing made sense, it just went on so very long, and it took itself seriously when it shouldn't. I never liked the Christopher Reeve films as a kid, I have no idea how my sister felt about them, but it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with this movie not having Superman in it really.

The worst part was that "Someone" didn't even like it exactly, he meant "you gotta see this it's a mess", and I still haven't seen Pacific Rim which was the other choice.

Tycho
03-27-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm watching L.A. Confidential (post-Mickey Cohen Los Angeles).

It's entertaining with a star-studded cast (Russel Crowe, Kim Bassinger, Guy Pierce, Oliver Cromwell, and Danny DeVito is funny even when he tries not to be).

I was a fan of Mob City, the TNT mini-series started by Frank Darrabount, but never really picked up beyond 6 hours. Too bad, since it was really good.

A friend recommended L.A. Confidential and I'm enjoying it, but it's rather light and humorous in spite of delving into racism and some seriously blunt and bloody rape and mass-killing scenes. (So it's still my type of movie - but I think it should approach things more seriously than it does).

Haven't finished it yet, but I will.

With regards to Man of Steel - the biggest impact it made on me is that Kal-El kills. That was awesome when he broke Zod's neck and how it affected him based on his principles he wanted to live by.

I still loved Russel Crowe as the best Jor-El ever and liked his pro-active role tormenting Zod. I think someone scripting that either wanted to use Russel Crowe more than Jor-El usually gets time for, or he wanted to realize "Obi-Wan's ghost" haunting Darth Vader after the duel on the Death Star.

We'd wonder if that ever happened. Like in the moment after the Falcon went into light speed at the end of ESB. Was Obi-Wan there in spirit laughing "HaHaHa. He got away. Doesn't that just get you right here in your Dark Side?"

I liked the Krypton sequences, but I never thought about it being like Avatar. You're right. Still, I also liked Avatar. So...

bigbarada
03-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I definitely understand all the criticism of MOS, but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the film. The only part that I think was poorly done was when Clark's father died. It's like they tried to milk that scene for as much emotional value as they could and they ended up pushing too far and making it feel totally contrived. That's one moment where the "less is more" philosophy would have helped immensely. If Clark's father had been smashed by a piece of flying debris with no warning, then that would have been just slightly unbelievable. But having Pa Kent stand there for what felt like 5 minutes as the tornado closed in on him, completely ruined the believability of that entire scene and made his "sacrifice" feel totally unnecessary and arbitrary. Especially when all of that was just to save the family dog who obviously died later and was replaced by another dog.

In fact, I think Pa Kent was the only character in the movie that I didn't like at all. Especially when he was scolding Clark for saving those kids' lives on that school bus. That made no sense to me at all.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions of Pacific Rim if you ever do get around to watching it, JT.

Anyways, I watched Soylent Green for the first time last night on TCM. I've been hearing the "Soylent Green is people!" line for decades now, so I've always known what the surprise ending of the movie was. I kind of wonder what my impression of the movie would have been without that knowledge, though. But it's always fun to see what filmmakers in the 1970s thought the future would be like.

The main thing that really stood out for me was how horrible of an actor Charlton Heston really is. Like John Wayne or Tom Cruise, he seems to have no idea how to play any character other than himself.

OC47151
03-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Anyways, I watched Soylent Green for the first time last night on TCM. I've been hearing the "Soylent Green is people!" line for decades now, so I've always known what the surprise ending of the movie was. I kind of wonder what my impression of the movie would have been without that knowledge, though. But it's always fun to see what filmmakers in the 1970s thought the future would be like.

The main thing that really stood out for me was how horrible of an actor Charlton Heston really is. Like John Wayne or Tom Cruise, he seems to have no idea how to play any character other than himself.

A Soylent Green virgin? I watched it, too, BigBarada. It's one of those movies you just have to watch every once in a while, like the original Rollerball.

The Ambushers and the Wrecking Crew. Dean Martin's Matt Helm movies. Hey, he's not James Bond, nor is he Derek Flint or Austin Powers, but the Helm movies are nice escapism. The late Sharon Tate was in the Wrecking Crew.

The Vampire's Coffin. A Mexican vampire movie. Do I need to say more?

Tycho
04-02-2014, 08:36 AM
The Vampire's Coffin. A Mexican vampire movie. Do I need to say more?

Does tequila in the blood affect a vampire? Or do they need a new victim by the next happy hour?

JediTricks
04-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday. It was ok, 7/10, but really thin on actual writing and catching the audience up with the backstories, and woefully predictable. The fights and action are getting a lot of good marks, but mainly they felt repetitive and difficult to follow visually, and the fight against the Quinjet felt like a video game boss battle using quicktime events.

I was a fan of Mob City, the TNT mini-series started by Frank Darrabount, but never really picked up beyond 6 hours. Too bad, since it was really good.There were only those 6 hours, and will be no more as it was canceled. I watched it, I thought it was extremely shallow and lacking story focus.

With regards to Man of Steel - the biggest impact it made on me is that Kal-El kills. That was awesome when he broke Zod's neck and how it affected him based on his principles he wanted to live by. That was the worst part! It was unnecessary and had no follow-through on how it affected his principles (which we never actually get to see in action since he stops NO crimes).

I definitely understand all the criticism of MOS, but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the film. The only part that I think was poorly done was when Clark's father died. It's like they tried to milk that scene for as much emotional value as they could and they ended up pushing too far and making it feel totally contrived. That's one moment where the "less is more" philosophy would have helped immensely. If Clark's father had been smashed by a piece of flying debris with no warning, then that would have been just slightly unbelievable. But having Pa Kent stand there for what felt like 5 minutes as the tornado closed in on him, completely ruined the believability of that entire scene and made his "sacrifice" feel totally unnecessary and arbitrary. Especially when all of that was just to save the family dog who obviously died later and was replaced by another dog.

In fact, I think Pa Kent was the only character in the movie that I didn't like at all. Especially when he was scolding Clark for saving those kids' lives on that school bus. That made no sense to me at all. So true.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions of Pacific Rim if you ever do get around to watching it, JT.
I will do my best to remember to post here when I do.

How funny! I caught the opening titles last night on TCM and it turned me off entirely, it is buried in a post-'60s style that really feels out of sorts from an artistic standpoint.

The main thing that really stood out for me was how horrible of an actor Charlton Heston really is. Like John Wayne or Tom Cruise, he seems to have no idea how to play any character other than himself.What they do is they make the character their own. I actually find all 3 compelling actors, but even when they're doing good work, they're still "name actor playing this part" - see Collateral with Tom Cruise for a solid example of this. So they ask themselves, "how would I act in this part" rather than "how would this character feel".

OC47151
04-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Saw Sabotage earlier this week. First off, I'm a big Schwarzenegger fan but this just a different type of movie for him. It was advertised as an action movie, but it's more of a revenge/drama with some action tossed it. Like many aging action stars, Schwarzenegger realizes he's getting older and doesn't make a fool of himself by trying to be something he's not. He's more part of the ensemble cast than the standout star.

El Chuxter
04-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Man of Steel: Wherein Robin Hood realizes his planet is dying and sends his infant child to Earth... to be raised by Robin Hood. lol

Maradona
04-05-2014, 09:58 PM
The worst part was that "Someone" didn't even like it exactly, he meant "you gotta see this it's a mess", and I still haven't seen Pacific Rim which was the other choice.

And a mess it was...

But let me recommend The Raid and its recently released sequel The Raid 2 to redeem my referral credentials. Last week, I rewatched the first and saw the second - and the earth literally moved as I did. The style of the fight scenes in first has been ripped off substantially in the past couple of years, notably in this weekend's The Winter Soldier, which has the most appropriate tombstone ever, but flashes by so quickly, it can be easily missed. As far as I'm concerned, anything Ed Brubaker, author of the source material that was very loosely adapted, writes is cinema worthy - he is a writer I consistently follow. He, Jonathan Hickman, Jason Aaron, and Charles Soule are my favorite comic scribes.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Another free preview pay channel weekend (thanks, Game of Thrones premiere! ) had two comic films: The Dark Knight Rises, which I'd seen before and liked, and Man of Steel, which I hadn't seen and found it an interesting take on the character's history and details. Both were visually stunning.

JediTricks
04-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Man of Steel: Wherein Robin Hood realizes his planet is dying and sends his infant child to Earth... to be raised by Robin Hood. lolGood one! Too bad they couldn't get Sean Connery or Cary Elwes in there too.

El Chuxter
04-07-2014, 12:09 AM
I wish I could take credit for it, or at least remember whom I should credit. :)

Tycho
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
That was the worst part! It was unnecessary and had no follow-through on how it affected his principles (which we never actually get to see in action since he stops NO crimes).

I think the movie was about the war with Zod being brought to earth after the death of Krypton - not a Superman-as-cop story (sabotaging Lex Luthor, etc.)

I agree with you somewhat. Kal-El did show regret he killed Zod, but the movie would have dragged on if it continued past that big build up.

The way to continue this is in a storyline for the next Superman movie, with flashbacks to the Zod kill scene, and Kal talking about that (to Lois or Jor El's computer program). Then Kal lives his life as a superhero differently.

CW's Arrow really hooked me in because Green Arrow was "a murderer" vigilante, (1st season) and he has since reformed because of tragedy and the death of Oliver's best friend. He will still kill League of Shadows members and Death Stroke if he gets the chance, but stopped short of killing Dead Shot and seeing the formation of the Suicide Squad.

Glad you gave Mob City a chance. I really liked it. In 6 hours, with so many characters, I'm not sure what more character development could be done. It was partially an action-show if I remember, and more drama would have slowed a period-piece down even more.

I'm conscientious of that in my writing, and while I try to develop my characters, I feed the action from the start and my characters develop as it goes along.

If you think about that, Darth Vader and Princess Leia developed along those lines. Luke was established the most early on (but wasn't in the first 20-or-so minutes of the movie). All we knew was Leia was desperate to smuggle out the plans to the Death Star, and Vader was intent on killing everybody to stop her.

I could write a long paragraph about Luke's character from just watching the first hour of SW with only that knowledge however.

JimJamBonds
04-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. It had some good parts and some less good parts.

JediTricks
04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
I think the movie was about the war with Zod being brought to earth after the death of Krypton - not a Superman-as-cop story (sabotaging Lex Luthor, etc.)"Man of Steel", the movie focuses on Kal-El becoming Superman. Superman is a champion of justice and liberty and truth. Zod didn't have a war to bring to Earth, he wasn't a warring faction, he was staging a coup in the beginning and in the rest of the movie he's attempting to bring the Kryptonian people back to existence and rule Earth while doing it. It's vague and he's vaguely-drawn, if it were his story it was a miss because they do a poor job valuing him as a character and what he's looking to accomplish as a true goal. He is simply there to be a monster that Superman stops.

I agree with you somewhat. Kal-El did show regret he killed Zod, but the movie would have dragged on if it continued past that big build up. His freakout was just a momentary response, not a philosophical conversation about it.

The way to continue this is in a storyline for the next Superman movie, with flashbacks to the Zod kill scene, and Kal talking about that (to Lois or Jor El's computer program). Then Kal lives his life as a superhero differently.

CW's Arrow really hooked me in because Green Arrow was "a murderer" vigilante, (1st season) and he has since reformed because of tragedy and the death of Oliver's best friend. He will still kill League of Shadows members and Death Stroke if he gets the chance, but stopped short of killing Dead Shot and seeing the formation of the Suicide Squad. Arrow is not a good show, it's thematically struggling to rectify itself, and Ollie second-guessing his original actions only serves to highlight the show's original foundational failings. Superman should not be running the same story arc, it's weak.

Glad you gave Mob City a chance. I really liked it. In 6 hours, with so many characters, I'm not sure what more character development could be done. It was partially an action-show if I remember, and more drama would have slowed a period-piece down even more.I didn't say character development, I said it was shallow and lacking story focus. The show was based on a book that was an account of real events, it was meant to be more than the show ultimately delivered. But the characters of Mickey Cohen, Bugsy Siegel, William Parker, those guys are framing the story and should have been better drawn - especially Bugsy, since a lot of his actions are what's driving the situations, and we are given nothing but a few chopped scenes and lip service about it. Instead we get Det. Teague and his bland ex-wife who are just pastiches of better noir characters, and their actions ultimately drive the plot.

Snowtrooper
04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I saw Captain America:Winter Soldier last weekend. Really liked the action sequences and the whole storyline. There were places that were easily predictable, but the rest of the movie was pretty stellar, so it was easily forgiven. It has something alot of movies lack nowdays...actual character development. My only complaint was there wasn't enough of the winter soldier.

P.S. I also wished they would have explored TWS Soviet connection, but maybe they're saving that for the next movie.

Lord Malakite
04-11-2014, 12:51 PM
I also wished they would have explored TWS Soviet connection, but maybe they're saving that for the next movie.
Or for the Agents of Shield TV show. The recent events of the second Thor and Captain America movies have been having a ripple effect on the events of the TV show, including upcoming appearances by Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson) and Agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders).

Snowtrooper
04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
I haven't kept up with the show. I kinda wish I would've now.

DarthQuack
04-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Currently enjoying the WWE Network, watching Survivor Series '89.

JediTricks
04-12-2014, 02:13 PM
I saw Captain America:Winter Soldier last weekend. Really liked the action sequences and the whole storyline. There were places that were easily predictable, but the rest of the movie was pretty stellar, so it was easily forgiven. It has something alot of movies lack nowdays...actual character development. My only complaint was there wasn't enough of the winter soldier.

P.S. I also wished they would have explored TWS Soviet connection, but maybe they're saving that for the next movie.I was disappointed that they had next to no backstory on Winter Soldier himself, that was really disappointing. He's sporting a red star but they don't connect it at all, and they also leave out the Black Widow connection to that. What a missed opportunity.

As for action character development... who? I didn't really notice any character development, Cap starts virtuous and ends even more virtuous, Nick Fury still doesn't really trust, Black Widow remains unchanged. If one were a newcomer to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, none of these characters would have been developed at all, as far as I took away from the film. The closest I could point to as character development was Cap realizing his homespun American beliefs didn't mesh with the ultra-controlling modern security-conscious world, and even that was essentially lip service.

I haven't kept up with the show. I kinda wish I would've now.The show really didn't enhance the movie at all, and the movie didn't enhance the show. The show's events ran concurrent and were affected by the Hydra turn, but took place entirely parallel with the show merely commenting on the movie's events. The show has been getting a little better but it's still very clunky and uneven and problematic.