PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Kidhuman
08-05-2007, 12:54 AM
I caught Batman Begins the other night, great flick.

Watched 300 tonight with the boy and he loved it. Had to have him cover his eyes at those certain points, but he thought it was great.

2-1B
08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Stand By Me !!!!!

UKWildcat
08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Excellent movie Cae, watched that one not too long ago myself.

80's rewind today:
Watched License to Drive, Better off Dead and then Summer School today. First time revisiting these movies in years.

JimJamBonds
08-08-2007, 09:37 PM
In the last week or so I've watched Billy Madison, 300, The Brian Setzer Orchestra: Christmas Extravaganza and for Mr. Jedi Tricks... Chasing Amy. I'm currently making my way though Band of Brothers.

JetsAndHeels
08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm currently making my way though Band of Brothers.

Episode 9 is pretty powerful.

Kidhuman
08-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Watched 2/3 of Supes returns last night before falling asleep.

UKWildcat
08-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Watched Beverly Hills Cop last night and all I could think about was this scene from the Family Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGKMFCWlNS4&mode=related&search=). lol Anyways, I'm going to try and get through Part II tonight.

DarthQuack
08-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Watching an old tape I found today from 7 years ago maybe when Iron Chef first started airing on TV....taped a nice 11 hour marathon on a couple tapes....awesome stuff.

General_Grievous
08-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Just watched Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy again.

UKWildcat
08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Just got through watching Pan's Labyrinth for the first time and thought it was wonderful. Great directing, acting, and special effects. The story was phenomenal! This was a fantastic movie all around and is easily my favorite work by Guillermo del Toro. Both Ivana Baquero (Ofelia) and Maribel Verdu (Mercedes) did outstanding jobs. Just a very beautiful and magical movie, and one of the better films I have seen recently. Still thinking about the ending too... Highly recommending this one for those of you who have not seen it yet (if there are any of you). Easily giving this one two thumbs up. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kidhuman
08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Do they have a non sub-tiltle version of it yet? I want to see it, they dont bother me, but for the kiddies, I dont want to read them the movie.

UKWildcat
08-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Not to my knowledge kh; I think the only option is subtitles. But yeah, I don't know if it would be appropriate for the kiddies anyways; most all of the scenes containing violence were really graphic and there are a number of cuss words, f bomb included. It's not a movie for children, hence the R rating. And I'm not telling you how to parent (lol), but I'd recommend that you watch it first and determine if it would be appropriate for them. :)

Rocketboy
08-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Finally got around to rewatching The Bourne Supremacy.
Now I'm ready for The Bourne Ultimatum.

Blue2th
08-11-2007, 10:08 PM
"The Fallen" was pretty good last week on the Family channel. A three part mini-series about Angels and their offspring called the Nephilim. It was cool. They even fought with lightsaber-like flaming swords. It was hard to tell who really was the bad guys, the Angels or the Fallen Angels. Good story. I'll probably buy it if it comes out on DVD.

JimJamBonds
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
In a few hours I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry x2.

General_Grievous
08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Saw Poltergeist. It was a good movie, but it kind of dragged on close to the end.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2007, 06:28 PM
I saw Top Gun for the first time at a school-oriented thing a few days ago . . . awful, just awful all around.

JimJamBonds
08-13-2007, 12:02 AM
I saw Top Gun for the first time at a school-oriented thing a few days ago . . . awful, just awful all around.

EXCEPT for Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins that is!

Kidhuman
08-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Watched The Usual Suspects last night.

DarthQuack
08-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Finished the Apes movies, now on to the '74 TV show....then the animated series, which I'm looking forward to checking out.

JimJamBonds
08-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Finished the Apes movies, now on to the '74 TV show....then the animated series, which I'm looking forward to checking out.

Don't bother with the Markey Mark version of a few years ago... suck city.

General_Grievous
08-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Had a Monty Python double feature today. Watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Monty Python's Meaning of Life back to back.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

DarthQuack
08-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Don't bother with the Markey Mark version of a few years ago... suck city.

Yea, I've seen the 2001 feature, I didn't hate it, just different than the originals.

El Chuxter
08-14-2007, 03:15 AM
Yea, I've seen the 2001 feature, I didn't hate it, just different than the originals.

Ditto. Tim Burton doesn't make bad movies. Anyone who disagrees deserves a kick to the groin.

TeeEye7
08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
What happened to the ol' nerf bat, Chux? ;)

Jargo
08-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Meet the Robinsons. Quite entertaining. Especially Tiny the T-Rex.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
The ANH triple-feature: the 1977 version two nights ago, the 1997 version last night, and the 2004 one later today.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Bourne Ultimatum- **** out of ****- Incredible movie with a tight, well done plot, amazing action with lots of chases and hand to hand combat and overall a great conclusion to the Bourne trilogy.

Once- ***1/2 out of ****- Great flick about two random folks who meet in dublin and bond through friendship and music. Here is the trailer if you don't know what i'm talking about: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/once/trailera

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon movie film for theaters- *** out of **** if you love the show like me, you'll love the film. It's full of raunchy, irrevant humor in that great ATHF manner.

TMNT- ** out of ****- Great CGI, but not much else. It's a long winded, confusing story that doesn't play out well at all. Huge letdown.

Wild Hogs- *1/2 out of ****- Boring, predictable, cliche', unfunny...need I go on?

The Lookout- *** out of ****- surprisingly good thriller with rising star Joseph Gordon Levitt. I was pretty impressed with this flick on all levels and the ending is pretty intense. I enjoyed it.

On the to watch list: Fracture, Disturbia and tomorrow: SUPERBAD! :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Watched Disturbia last night. At first I thought it was just okay, but the more I thought about it, I began to like it; so I'll say it was good. It wasn't quite what I was expecting; I was expecting more suspense and thrills throughout the movie but they were actually few and far between (for the most part), with exception to the ending. It was still good nonetheless, and I'm kind of glad that they didn't try to constantly startle or seek thrills from the audience; it probably would have turned out to be a terrible movie. Instead, the movie built up the characters and plot and built the tension that would soon erupt towards the end of the film; this it accomplished, very well might I add. Shia LeBeouf did a great job, as did Sarah Roemer (Ashley). Never heard of her before and not sure what else she was been in (IMDB isn't functioning correctly right now) but I believe this was the first thing that I have seen her in. Anyways, she did a good job and has a very interesting look about her, hot. I love David Morse and he did a good job as well; playing the creepy and mysterious neighbor.

But yea, I really enjoyed this movie, especially the more I thought about it. Evidently it is a modern Rear Window, which I for some reason haven't seen yet (and my brother has just about all of the Hitchcock movies) so I'm eager to take that one down and do a little comparison; and I have no doubts that Hitchcock's Rear Window will be the better film (much better, probably). I mean, come on, it's Hitchcock!!!.. and it's #13 on IMDB's Top 250. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I gotta agree with you UK; I really enjoyed "Disturbia." I had my doubts coming into it, but it's a good psuedo version of "Rear Window." It has a good deal of suspense, likeable characters and (as I said in my blog), an uber greasy and evil David Morse. It was high on the suspense and easy on the gore, which was nice for once. *** out of ****

"Superbad"- Check out my brief blip in the thread. To recap though: I laughed, hard, and a lot. ***1/2 out of ****

"Fracture"- I had some hopes for this one and Hopkins delivers, but Gosling is so wound up playing a seemingly schmuck pouty lawyer with an annoying southern accent. It was hard for root for him and I was actually more interested in Hopkins. ** out of ****

:thumbsup:

joshephe
08-19-2007, 12:33 AM
recently saw the movie stardust

Rocketboy
08-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Just finished watching one of my all-time favorites, The Fugitive. Its been far too long since I've seen it. So long in fact that there were parts in it that I didn't remember. One of Harrison Ford's the best performances (if not the best). He deserved an Oscar for this one.

And the small role by Neil Flynn (The Janitor from Scrubs) as the subway cop is awesome!

Kidhuman
08-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Watched The Covenant last night. It was ok.

JetsAndHeels
08-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Still watching TMNT season 5.

2-1B
08-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Hott Fuzz after seeing Superbad.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Just finished watching one of my all-time favorites, The Fugitive. Its been far too long since I've seen it. So long in fact that there were parts in it that I didn't remember. One of Harrison Ford's the best performances (if not the best). He deserved an Oscar for this one.

And the small role by Neil Flynn (The Janitor from Scrubs) as the subway cop is awesome!

DUDE, totally random you mentioned that as I bought it back in July at wally world for like 3.88 and I FINALLY watgched it yesterday!! It's been too long since i've seen the whole thing as it was usually on TNT or something and it's STILL a superb flick. Easily one of my favorite movies.

I also busted out the Kevin Cline classic, DAVE friday evening. Still a terrific film. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
DUDE, totally random you mentioned that as I bought it back in July at wally world for like 3.88 and I FINALLY watgched it yesterday!! It's been too long since i've seen the whole thing as it was usually on TNT or something and it's STILL a superb flick. Easily one of my favorite movies.Wow, that is pretty weird.
I picked it up a while ago for like $9 on one of those double-sided double-feature DVDs (with the decent sequel, U.S. Marshalls on the other side).

UKWildcat
08-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Watched 300 for the umpteenth time today, which also inspired me to do some rearranging (check the 300 thread if interested).

Also took down The Day after Tomorrow earlier and right now I randomly put on the first disc of the Family Guy Vol. 4 dvd set. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
08-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I just watched RoboCop for the first time. Really good movie. I've always loved RoboCop's design, and he was a real bada-- in it. It was like Batman mixed with the Terminator. :thumbsup: Were the sequels any good?

Rocketboy
08-20-2007, 11:26 PM
I just watched RoboCop for the first time. Really good movie. I've always loved RoboCop's design, and he was a real bada-- in it. It was like Batman mixed with the Terminator. :thumbsup: Were the sequels any good?Robocop 2 was so-so to bad (and the story was written by Frank Miller). Robocop 3 is crap.

I watched the new Mr. Bean movie today, Mr. Bean's Holiday. Much better than the craptastic Bean. Funny movie...especially if you like Mr. Bean (which I do).
But I think it'll bomb here in the U.S. when it opens next week.

I want a Mr. Bean action figure.

2-1B
08-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Isn't Robocop 3 the one where he starts flying ? Plus it's a different actor with 3 names, I believe.

Robo 2 was not horrible, could have been worse I suppose.

RoboCop the original is a classic, though ! Love that movie.

El Chuxter
08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Robocop 2 in its entirety:

"CAIN!! I'm looking for CAIN!!!! Where is CAIN???? CAIN!!!! Zzzzzrrrrp. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Zzzzzzrrrp. CAIN!!!! Where is CAIN???? Stay tuned for part 3, kids!"

UKWildcat
08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Watched two excellent movies the past couple of nights:

Se7en - It had been months, if not a year or so, since I had last seen this movie so I decided it was time for another viewing. Everything about this movie is great. Morgan Freeman, the man is brilliant! I'm a huge fan of his (who isn't?) and I think he gives one of his best performances in this movie, next to Shawshank, Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby (for which he won his Oscar [and I'm not a big fan of MDB, but he did an outstanding job, no doubt]). Freeman absolutely nails the role of Somerset. Brad Pitt, he is good people. I'm not a fan of all of his work, but I do think he gives one of his better performances in Seven; he too does a great job as Detective Mills. Kevin Spacey, man, what a choice there. I kinda wish he got more screen time (I know, but it would have taken away from the movie and wouldn't have worked so well) because he did such a great job for the little amount of screen time he had. R. Lee Ermey also contributes and does a great job as the police captain. I'm not really a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow, but she does some decent acting in this one I guess. Fincher does an outstanding job directing and this is easily my favorite film of his. But yea, everything is very well done, acting, directing, writing, editing, music, everything. Just a quality film.

Crash - Last night I figured I would just watch this one again (for maybe the third time) as I went to sleep, of course I became sucked into the brilliant story and the way it was being told. I didn't intend on watching the entire movie, or even half of it, but before I knew it, the credits were rolling. Excellent movie that has some very powerful scenes and moments and while I was watching it I couldn't help but to say "Man, this movie is f****** amazing!", several times. The way the stories are inter-connected and how the characters are inter-related is beautifully done. Paul Haggis (writer/director/producer) did an outstanding job in all areas while putting together this masterpiece.

TeeEye7
08-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Watched two excellent movies the past couple of nights:

Se7en

Yep. One of the best "cop" movies ever made. It has a real following with my department since it came out. Funny you should mention it, we were talking about it this morning.

Kidhuman
08-22-2007, 10:55 PM
I loved se7en until the end. Brad Pitts, whats in the box crap was horrid. If it wasnt for Spacey and Freeman, that would have totally killed the movie for me.

I watched the Usual Suspects the other night. Another great Spacey Flick. Think i mentioned it already but easily one of the top ten movies ever mad and the best "twist" ending to a movie ever.

Ji'dai
08-25-2007, 03:05 PM
I liked Letters from Iwo Jima better than Flags of Our Fathers. Kind of refreshing to see the Japanese portrayed in a more realistic light than the usual stereotypes seen in other WWII films.

The Australian western The Proposition was pretty good. A police captain offers a wanted man the chance at freedom if he hunts down and kills his eldest brother, suspected in the violent killing of a homesteader and his family.

2-1B
08-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Blowing through yet another marathon of The Office Season 2 on DVD...resisting the urge to watch anything from Season 3 on iTunes with the 3 DVD coming out one week from Tuesday.

I might watch Waiting later and then it's off to Jim Jam's bday bash.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Blowing through yet another marathon of The Office Season 2 on DVD...resisting the urge to watch anything from Season 3 on iTunes with the 3 DVD coming out one week from Tuesday.

I'm also planning on a marathon of THE OFFICE before the 4th season kicks off on september 27th. Probably won't start until I pick up season 3 or maybe the weekend before? We'll see.

And my Bond marathon picks up after a few week hiatus (which I needed to recover from the God awful "Moonraker")

"For your eyes only"- A very good Bond film that has a solid plot, action, and is just an overall very good film that feels much more grittier and exciting. I really enjoyed it. ***1/2 out of ****

"Octo*****"- WAY too long, boring, confusing and cheesy at times. I mean, Bond going undercover as a clown, going Tarzan, and hiding in an ape suit?!? I gotta say that Q's line at the end when he's surrounded by ladies had me laughing hysterically. Overall though, not a good film. ** out of ****

UKWildcat
08-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Watched a few movies this weekend:

The Last King of Scotland - Great film; very gripping. Forest Whitaker really delivered in his performance, playing the Ugandan dictator, Idi Amin. I can see why he won the Oscar for best actor in a leading role, he did an outstanding job. James McAvoy (Dr. Garrigan) did a really good job as well. But yeah, the movie was really good. I knew the basic background to the movie before seeing it, but there was a lot to the story that was still very shocking. The way the story was told was and how the plot would unfold was done very well too. Just a good film that really makes you think about 'real world' issues.

The Fountain - Still kind of up in the air with this one. I want to like it, but at the same time I have some reservations. The movie definitely has some good qualities, one of which is originality... it is also engaging. It is not your typical film. The cinematography was outstanding and really set the tone of the film, and the parallel stories that were being told. However, at times I was kind of bored, which I wasn't expecting because the movie is only 90 minutes long. The boredom did not last long, but it was still present nonetheless. But the story(ies) were good and it was neat to see how they related to one another, especially the ending. Again, the cinematography was amazing, as were the visual effects; this is definitely worth noting. There is a lot to take in with this film and some will probably become confused and/or lost while watching it; I kept up with it but I may end up watching it again at some point, just to take more of it in.

Van Wilder 2: The Rise of Taj - Ummm... yeah. A movie that probably should have never been made. I may have laughed 5 or so times throughout the entire movie. Two hot chicks, Lauren Cohan and Holly Davidson, was about all this movie had going for it. I like Kal Penn, but he really should have passed on this movie and shot the idea down.

JetsAndHeels
08-27-2007, 12:16 AM
RoboCop the original is a classic, though ! Love that movie.

I agree...yesterday I purchased the 20th anniversary set that has both the original theatrical version plus an unrated extended cut. Not sure what is in the extended version but I'm going to find out soon.

Also watched Vacancy earlier today. Pretty decent flick..kept my interest and it has some nice thrills, despite Luke Wilson getting on my nerves at some points.

Kidhuman
08-27-2007, 05:01 AM
I watched Adventures of Ford Fairlane. I love thatq movie. Damn funny.

Blue2th
08-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Just rented "The Host" a South Korean sci-fi film. I really enjoyed it. A well made monster movie.

TeeEye7
08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Watched 300 last night.

Didn't love it, but didn't hate it, either. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it then. I guess since Sin City was so innovative in it's filming concept, 300 seemed to be a "been there, done that" experience for me.

Kidhuman
08-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Watched The Professional this morning.

General_Grievous
08-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Back to the Future II and III on HBO.

Kidhuman
08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I watched those the other day, great flicks.

General_Grievous
08-27-2007, 05:35 PM
I liked the second one a lot, but the third one wasn't as good as I remember. The Old West plot just seemed like a huge sidetrack. They could have easily removed Doc going back to 1885 at the end of the second movie and replaced it with the ending from the third one (minus the steam engine, of course). I still like it, and the second one, but both pale in comparison to the first one.

El Chuxter
08-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Not to mention his paternal ancestor (who looks just like him) married a woman who looks a lot like his mom. Is this some crazy incestuous family here or what?

Ji'dai
08-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Leah Thompson's Irish look in BttF3 was varied enough from her appearance in 1 and 2 so I thought it worked. Having Fox play his own daughter in 2015 was a bit of a stretch though. I still prefer part 3 to the others, probably cause I've seen the first one so many times and 2 spends too much time revisiting the first movie.

Sea creatures terrorize a small seaside fishing town and capture hot females to mate with (all with nice racks and Farrah-Do's - these monsters ain't stoopid, dontchaknow) in 1980's Humanoids from the Deep. This updated monster movie is typical and rather forgettable.

In the near future, parents have the option of installing a chip in their infant's brain that records everything that the person sees and hears during his lifetime in The Final Cut. Robin Williams plays a "cutter," an esteemed professional who reclaims the chip after death, and then edits the "life movie" of the deceased to be played at the funeral. The video recordings of his latest client, however, not only have other interested parties that will stop at nothing to obtain them, but hold a clue to an event in William's own childhood that's haunted him ever since.

DarthQuack
08-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Watching Carl Winslow and his wife breakdance on Family Matters.

2-1B
08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
gonna watch Blades of Glory soon...love that movie.

General_Grievous
08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Having Fox play his own daughter in 2015 was a bit of a stretch though.

Yeah, that was pretty weird.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Watched Halloween 1-2 to prep for friday. The first one is a solid classic and two is also very solid. I'm gonna try to track down Halloween: H20 and Halloween: Resurrection as those flicks follow the Laurie Strode storyline whereas the other flicks don't and are just crap.

Also watched Blades of Glory today and wasn't impressed at all. It had a few laughs, but for the most part, it was really lame and stale. It's hard to enjoy subpar comedy when flicks like Knocked Up and Superbad are far more honest, truthful, and FAR more hysterical. Still, Jenna Fischer was lookin' HOT. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::love::love:

Ji'dai
08-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Hitched a ride with The Astronaut Farmer last night. Former Apollo astronaut-turned rancher Billy Bob Thornton builds a rocket in his barn in hopes of launching into space. I thought it was a pretty entertaining flick.

2-1B
08-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Watched Halloween 1-2 to prep for friday. The first one is a solid classic and two is also very solid. I'm gonna try to track down Halloween: H20 and Halloween: Resurrection as those flicks follow the Laurie Strode storyline whereas the other flicks don't and are just crap.

Resurrection is weak but H20 was pretty cool. I love part 4, I think by itself it is the best of the sequels BUT it does get ruined by part 5. lol 6 is terrible but it's got Paul Rudd so that's one redeeming quality. :D

Also watched Blades of Glory today and wasn't impressed at all. It had a few laughs, but for the most part, it was really lame and stale. It's hard to enjoy subpar comedy when flicks like Knocked Up and Superbad are far more honest, truthful, and FAR more hysterical. Still, Jenna Fischer was lookin' HOT. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::love::love:

I prefer the raunchy comedy of a Superbad, no doubt, but Blades of Glory is a different beast, a zany comedy with some bizarrely funny scenes. :yes:

It's certainly no Anchorman but at least it's leagues better than that POS Talladega Nights.

Kidhuman
08-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Watched Suicide Kings last night. Been awhile since I watched it. Good freakin flick. C-Dub is the man.

2-1B
08-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch Blades of Glory Tues night as I planned, but I did watch it TWICE last night...as well as the bonus features.

General_Grievous
08-31-2007, 06:01 PM
I just watched Blades of Glory. It had a few funny parts, like the phone conversation between Jimmy and Katie and Chazz at the sex addict meeting. Plus it's always great to see Jenna Fischer in lingerie. It wasn't as funny as recent comedies like Knocked Up or Superbad, but it wasn't bad.

EDIT: And this morning I watched Disturbia. It was much better than I thought it would be. A good thriller. Plus, David Morse can play the sinister guy really well. Talk about an underused actor.

UKWildcat
09-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Plus, David Morse can play the sinister guy really well. Talk about an underused actor.

No doubt. I love Morse, he is a great actor, and he completely nailed the role of that creepy neighbor. :thumbsup:

I haven't seen Blades of Glory yet but I plan to sometime soon (just gotta wait for Netflix to send it, or for my brother to buy it). I was really looking forward to watching it, but it sounds like it could be somewhat disappointing. But I do value Cae's opinion so I'll be somewhat optimisitc.

I watched a couple of movies the past few days:

First up was Vacancy. This movie was somewhere between mediocre and decent, still kind of up in the air with it. I love Kate Beckinsale, so naturally I was going to <try to> enjoy this movie regardless. The movie started out a bit slow, but half way through it became pretty suspenseful. It was kind of a mix between... lets see... House of Wax and... Identity. Not as gory as House of Wax and not as thrillery and suspenseful as Identity, but shared several similarities nonetheless. But yeah, the movie was okay. Frank Whaley did a good job, as did Beckinsale :lipsrsealed:. And, Luke Wilson should definitely stick to comedies, his acting was very sketchy throughout this movie and I didn't really buy his performance.

BTW - Pretty crazy about the suicide attempt by brother Owen Wilson huh?:crazed: :(

And I'm ashamed to say, but I caught She's the Man on HBO today while reading. Some movie about Amanda Bynes pretending to be a dude (looked awful by the way) in order to make a soccer team and prove a point. There were some cute girls in it. Not much else to really say about this movie, but I didn't plan on watching it.... it just sort of happened. :neutral:

2-1B
09-03-2007, 01:36 AM
I just fired up Blades of Glory again...third viewing this week. I love this movie almost as much as Tycho loves Transformers, I think. lol

UKWildcat
09-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Watched several movies over the holiday weekend:

The Number 23 - I really wasn't sure what to expect before going into this movie... but it turned out to be okay. The story was unique enough and kept me interested. I loved the cinematography used when they switched to the Novel/Fingerling story; it was pretty cool. Jim Carrey did a pretty good job as did Virginia Madsen. The 23 coincidences seemed to get a little repetitive and out of hand at times, but that was to be expected. I rather enjoyed the ending which made me appreciate the movie more than I would have, had the ending been different. But yeah, this movie was okay/good and worthy of a look I suppose. :)

The Shawshank Redemption (in HD) - Outstanding film, one of my favorites and easily one of the best movies of all time in my opinion. There is nothing I can say that hasn't been said already with regards to the greatness of this film. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Ex - Starring Zach Braff, Amanda Peet and Jason Bateman. Typical comedy, nothing new here. I was expecting this one to be better/funnier than it was, though it still had its moments. Jason Bateman is awesome and if you are a fan of his then you should probably check out the movie, but don't be surprised if you are somewhat disappointed overall. But yea, this movie wasn't completely terrible, and it certainly wasn't great, but somewhere in between (closer to the terrible side though). :neutral:

Go (in HD) - Only had seen this movie once before (that I can remember), which was many years ago. I completely forgot how good this movie was, or I didn't appreciate it when I first watched it. Anyways, this is a really good movie. The three story lines (which interweave) are really good; Simon's being my favorite, Ronna's coming in second and Adam and Zach's pulling up the rear (no pun intended). Lots of craziness and goodness throughout, from beginning to the very end. Oh yeah, gotta give props to Timothy Olyphant... ya gotta love this guy. :thumbsup:

Saving Private Ryan - Another outstanding movie. Easily one of my favorite Military/War/Action movies, if not my favorite. Like Shawshank, not much can be said about the greatness of this movie that hasn't been said before. Outstanding... extremely powerful... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kidhuman
09-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Been watching Heores Season 1 the last few nights. Trying to get it right so I can watch the last episode on the 23rd.

Rocketboy
09-05-2007, 12:14 PM
After a marathon week (for me anyway) I finished Heroes yesterday.
After seeing only the first 3 episodes when they first aired and not being able to see the few episodes I missed, I decided to skip the rest and wait for the dvd. And boy, am I glad I did! Amazing show from start to finish!

El Chuxter
09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I guess we have something else to disagree about, RB. :D

I've tried a few times to watch this, because people keep praising it, and it is superheroes, after all. But it's just a big soap opera, with not enough character development to be truly interesting, and not enough action to be brainless fun. I think I'll just toss it in the same bin with Buffy and Battlestar Galactica, the "shows people keep telling me are great, but I can't help but wonder why anyone thinks so."

Oh, and the writers should try cracking open a history book once in a while if they're going to send characters hundreds of years in the past. It only takes a minute.

2-1B
09-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Kristen Bell is gonna be on for a multi-episode arc.
I've never seen Heroes.

Rocketboy
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I guess we have something else to disagree about, RB. :DOne of us (me) has to have decent taste. :)

Oh, and the writers should try cracking open a history book once in a while if they're going to send characters hundreds of years in the past. It only takes a minute.As I said elsewhere: "Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."

El Chuxter
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
We can agree on Punisher dressing like Captain America being a retarded idea. :p

And, at the risk of repeating myself, my comment about history is based on a lot of fansites I looked at (for reasons I won't get into right now). Every single one mentions the year 1671, a time when, well, there weren't any more samurai battles going on.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I think I'll just toss it in the same bin with Buffy and Battlestar Galactica, the "shows people keep telling me are great, but I can't help but wonder why anyone thinks so."
"Do you watch Battlestar Galactica?"
"No."
"Well, then, you are an idiot."

2-1B
09-06-2007, 08:06 PM
well done John. :D

My viewing time is about to be SEVERELY limited for the next 5 months starting with tonight's NFL kickoff. :thumbsup:

No more watching movies on Sundays. lol

DarthQuack
09-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Watching the Colts vs Saints, Manning to Harrison, TD, there's a shock :P

2-1B
09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Manning to Wayne, Fumbled returned for a TD...that WAS a shock. lol

DarthQuack
09-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Now watching 1990 WWF Summerslam!!! WOOOOO

2-1B
09-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I saw Balls of Fury and Brothers Solomon today...Balls was okay and Brothers was awesome. :)

Rocketboy
09-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I just finished Pan's Labyrinth.
So ummm...yeah...that was pretty damn boring.
What was the big deal?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-09-2007, 12:27 AM
What was the big deal?
Dude! Giant toads!!!!!

UKWildcat
09-10-2007, 08:03 PM
What was the big deal?

wow. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I thought Pan's was outstanding and I was anything but bored while watching it. I'm feeling lazy, so just read any of these reviews for the "big deal" (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pans_labyrinth/).

Kidhuman
09-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Just finished up Heroes Season 1. I cant wait for Season 2 to kick in, only 2 weeks away.

Ji'dai
09-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Finally got around to seeing 300 and thought it was fairly entertaining. Better than Sin City, that's for sure.

A young man (Steve McQueen) sets off to kill the men that murdered his parents in the western Nevada Smith. This film was made six years after The Magnificent Seven, so it was hard to accept Steve McQueen as this tenderfoot greenhorn who becomes a hardcase gunfighter. Still, McQueen's path of revenge led him from the southwest to the Lousiana bayous and back again, so it kept me interested all the way through.

General_Grievous
09-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Watched Alien for the first time in a long time. Going to watch Aliens tonight.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Finished my three season marathon of THE OFFICE on sunday. Now, moving into season 1 of 30 ROCK which i'm enjoying a lot. I still need to finish the Bond marathon I started in the Spring. I'll post reviews of the last Moore films once I find time to watch A VIEW TO KILL. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm feeling lazy, so just read any of these reviews for the "big deal" (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pans_labyrinth/).Yeah...still don't see it. I think I expected too much. All I see in the link is a bunch of people that loved it.

pbarnard
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
An Inconvenient Truth. Al Gore with the power point, who does get the facts right, because once he gave the correct definition of global warming in the beginning which has nothing to do with air temperatures, I decided to pay attention.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I saw MIB II for the first time last night on TNT. I actually forgot they made a sequel for it. It wasn't bad, but it never distinguished itself much from the first one.

Also, I bought Krystof Keislowski's Tricolor Trilogy, Blue, White, and Red on DVD off of E-Bay. Even though these are foreign films, these are hot fudge sundaes for your eyes and are great movies for those who are interested in the craft of movie-making. Juliette Binoche, and Julie Delpy are two of the recognizable actors from the series. Very worthwhile to view.

Kidhuman
09-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I watched Children of Men yesterday afternoon. Pretty decent movie. A good what if this ever happened type thing. Clive Owen gives a good performance as does Michael Caine and the short appearanced Julianne Moore. I would recommend watching it.

Also caught Shawshank Redemtion on Max last night. An oldie, but with out a doubt a goodie. Every time I watch it, I find it hard to believe its a King Short story(because its non horror, but then again, Different Seasons really wasnt a horror oriented book)

El Chuxter
09-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Nor was The Green Mile.

UKWildcat
09-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose a couple nights ago. As I said in the 'Best Horror movies' thread (reason I watched it), this is one of the better horror/possession/satan movies out there. I like the approach they took to this movie, on trial, flashing back to Emily while telling her story; it was a tad different for a horror movie, but it worked extremely well. Lots of really freaky, creepy parts in this movie; some scenes are actually really scary, which is difficult to find in horror movies these days (usually its just a lot of gore). If you enjoyed The Exorcist, horror movies in general, or just want to watch a quality (horror) flick, this one comes highly recommended. :thumbsup:

I've also watched the first disc of the 30 Rock dvd set and started the second disc last night. I've heard good things about this show so I decided I'd catch up on it before the second season airs (and my brother is forcing me to watch it). The first few shows were a little slow, still funny. The past several episodes that I've watched have been really funny. Alec Bladwin is just outstanding. Tina Fey does a good job as does Tracy Morgan. This is a pretty good show thus far and I'm glad I decided to give it a go. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I've also watched the first disc of the 30 Rock dvd set and started the second disc last night. I've heard good things about this show so I decided I'd catch up on it before the second season airs (and my brother is forcing me to watch it). The first few shows were a little slow, still funny. The past several episodes that I've watched have been really funny. Alec Bladwin is just outstanding. Tina Fey does a good job as does Tracy Morgan. This is a pretty good show thus far and I'm glad I decided to give it a go. :thumbsup:

I'm agreeing with you 100&#37; on this one, UK. I had seen blips of it on TV, but picked up the DVD weeks ago purely because so many friends have raved about it. They were right. It's HYSTERICAL. The first few episoes started off slow and funny, but now they're damn right hysterical. I'm almost through the second disc and i'm loving it. Alec Baldwin has such great comedic talents: good timing, good delivery, and you gotta love how he uses that voice of his. I also love the writing staff and Kenneth the page is damned funny. Plus, i love how they cut away to flashbacks and random scenes; it's kinda like "Arrested Development" in that fashion. It's just as terrifically funny show. I sense an avatar change coming on soon....

"They've adapted "The Rural Juror?" I'm a huge Kevin Grisham fan!" lol :thumbsup:

I also continued my Bond marathon.

"For Your Eyes Only"- A terrific film and one of the better Bonds- Rating ***1/2 out of ****

"Octo*****"- too long, too confusing, and too bad. I did LOVE Q's line at the end of the film though. Other than that, not a good flick- Rating ** out of ****

"A View to Kill"- Although Moore does show his age a tad in this one, it's still a fun flick with lots of great action scenes and a great Christopher Walken as the over the top Max Zorin. I really enjoyed it. Rating- *** out of ****

That's it for the Moore Era. Bring on the Timothy Dalton era.....all two films of it. :crazed:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I also continued my Bond marathon.

"For Your Eyes Only"- A terrific film and one of the better Bonds- Rating ***1/2 out of ****

"Octo*****"- too long, too confusing, and too bad. I did LOVE Q's line at the end of the film though. Other than that, not a good flick- Rating ** out of ****

"A View to Kill"- Although Moore does show his age a tad in this one, it's still a fun flick with lots of great action scenes and a great Christopher Walken as the over the top Max Zorin. I really enjoyed it. Rating- *** out of ****

That's it for the Moore Era. Bring on the Timothy Dalton era.....all two films of it. :crazed:

I love FYEO. It is my favorite of the Moore era, even though it is a bit dated.

Octo***** I wasn't too enthralled with either. The whole clown sequence put 007 down a few notches on what I envisioned him as.

AVTK has to be the worst Moore era Bond movie. I think Bond was in his mid to late 50s when the movie was made. His stunt doubles got more screen time than Roger did. Still, Moore was charasmatic in that flick, and he never lost his wit or sense of humor. Stacy on the other hand, has to be one of the worst Bond girls to date. She sounded like Anna Nicole Smith when she had to deliver some technical lines regarding the underground fault around the Bay Area. And the way she was always put in danger having to be rescued made you loathe her.

Enjoy the Dalton era JMG. I think you'll like the Living Daylights and maybe License to Kill.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I love FYEO. It is my favorite of the Moore era, even though it is a bit dated.

Octo***** I wasn't too enthralled with either. The whole clown sequence put 007 down a few notches on what I envisioned him as.

AVTK has to be the worst Moore era Bond movie. I think Bond was in his mid to late 50s when the movie was made. His stunt doubles got more screen time than Roger did. Still, Moore was charasmatic in that flick, and he never lost his wit or sense of humor. Stacy on the other hand, has to be one of the worst Bond girls to date. She sounded like Anna Nicole Smith when she had to deliver some technical lines regarding the underground fault around the Bay Area. And the way she was always put in danger having to be rescued made you loathe her.

Enjoy the Dalton era JMG. I think you'll like the Living Daylights and maybe License to Kill.

Yeah, Moore was 57 when he filmed that flick, but i still think it has a decent enough plot and solid action to be an enjoyable flick. And by far, "Moonraker" is the WORST Bond film, not only of the Moore era, but of all of them (thus far, at least.....i don't think anything can top Moonraker's horridness).

As far as Bond girls go, do you recall that blond gal from "Man with the Golden Gun?" She was by far the most useless girl, ever. It was like jar jar with breasts. At least Stacy was psuedo productive in the flick.

And i'm lookin' forward to the Dalton era. Only six more films and then topping it with with a seventh flick with another viewing of "Casino Royale." Then I can put this six month Bond marathon to rest. :thumbsup:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah, Moore was 57 when he filmed that flick, but i still think it has a decent enough plot and solid action to be an enjoyable flick. And by far, "Moonraker" is the WORST Bond film, not only of the Moore era, but of all of them (thus far, at least.....i don't think anything can top Moonraker's horridness).

As far as Bond girls go, do you recall that blond gal from "Man with the Golden Gun?" She was by far the most useless girl, ever. It was like jar jar with breasts. At least Stacy was psuedo productive in the flick.

And i'm lookin' forward to the Dalton era. Only six more films and then topping it with with a seventh flick with another viewing of "Casino Royale." Then I can put this six month Bond marathon to rest. :thumbsup:

Goodnight also gets a nod for her performance in TMWTGG. She put herself in more precarious spots than Stacy did. At least she had a hot bod.

And Moonraker is certainly one of the worst Bond entries, with its local cable channel special effects and bizarre plot, but up until Bond landed in Brazil, I thought the movie was solid. Diamonds Are Forever gets my nod for the most horrid entry.

Enjoy the rest of your viewing.

UKWildcat
09-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm agreeing with you 100% on this one, UK. I had seen blips of it on TV, but picked up the DVD weeks ago purely because so many friends have raved about it. They were right. It's HYSTERICAL. The first few episoes started off slow and funny, but now they're damn right hysterical. I'm almost through the second disc and i'm loving it. Alec Baldwin has such great comedic talents: good timing, good delivery, and you gotta love how he uses that voice of his. I also love the writing staff and Kenneth the page is damned funny. Plus, i love how they cut away to flashbacks and random scenes; it's kinda like "Arrested Development" in that fashion. It's just as terrifically funny show. I sense an avatar change coming on soon....

"They've adapted "The Rural Juror?" I'm a huge Kevin Grisham fan!" lol :thumbsup:

The Rural Juror, that is just hilarious.
Another stand out moment so far (on the first disc) was Alec Baldwin's commercial tape. lol I laughed so hard during that sequence. But yeah, his character is great and he does an outstanding job in all aspects.

I can't wait to watch more of this show, going to try and finish the second disc today. :thumbsup:

I have the first 4 volumes of those 007 gift sets but I have yet to watch any of them. :ermm:

Watched Waiting last night for the first time since I caught it on dvd, which when it was first released. This movie is hilarious, a lot funnier than I remembered.

*The Goat*

(gotcha!)

2-1B
09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
"The braaaaaiiiiiiin ! Oh the brain" lol lol lol

I just watched that a couple of weeks ago too, Yuke. :D

Kidhuman
09-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I just reorded Waiting on DVR, havent watched it yet though. HEard it is real funny though. Will let ya know how I liked it.

Hey UK, ever watch The Lost Room yet?

2-1B
09-17-2007, 10:17 PM
You're gonna love it, KH !!!

UKWildcat
09-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I just reorded Waiting on DVR, havent watched it yet though. HEard it is real funny though. Will let ya know how I liked it.

Yeah, like Cae said, you should love Waiting kh. :thumbsup:

Hey UK, ever watch The Lost Room yet?

Yes sir, a while back. We discussed this already. Post #902 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=557010&postcount=902). ;) Good stuff.

Watched more 30 Rock today. Outstanding quote JMG:
"They've adapted "The Rural Juror?" I'm a huge Kevin Grisham fan!"

lol :thumbsup:

Hilarious!!!

Kidhuman
09-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Damn short term memory

Rocketboy
09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Damn short term memory
Has anyone seen Waiting?
Great movie.

JimJamBonds
09-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Gangs of New York along with Blades of Glory (about 3-4 times in the last week or two) along with The Office Season III.

TeeEye7
09-20-2007, 03:36 AM
Just finished watching The Right Stuff on HBO.

Dated, but still a good movie. Even though you know what's gonna happen, you still get into the movie. Just like Opie's Apollo 13.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I finished my "30 Rock" marathon over the weekend and loved it. I can't wait to see the premiere for season 2 here in a few weeks.

Watched this week:

"Superman Doomsday"- oh man, such a HORRIBLE animated film. It was too condensed, lame, and poorly written. See my huge review in the "Superman Returns" thread. Rating- * out of ****

"We Are Marshall"- I wasn't sure about this flick, but the video store had it in stock, so I figured what the hey. I really enjoyed it. It's very painful to watch at times with the crash and the loss, but it's also filled with hope and unity through sports and relationships. McConaughey is very likable and Matthew Fox is also great. Another great performance was from Anthony Mackie, who played Marshall player Nate Ruffin. He and McConaughey share an incredibly emotional scene that was just terrific. If you enjoy uplifting sports movies, look no further. Rating- *** out of ****

Right now, watching one of my favorite Disney flicks that I haven't watched in a while: "Emperors New Groove." Hysterical flick! :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
09-22-2007, 02:35 AM
I finished my "30 Rock" marathon over the weekend and loved it. I can't wait to see the premiere for season 2 here in a few weeks.

Ditto here JMG. Loved the first season, finished it up tonight, glad I took it down. Hilarious stuff. I still put The Office ahead of 30 Rock, as far as nonstop hilarity goes, but if The Office didn't win the Emmy, then I'm relatilvely content with 30 Rock winning, which it did. Thursday nights on NBC is gonna own!

"We Are Marshall"- I wasn't sure about this flick, but the video store had it in stock, so I figured what the hey. I really enjoyed it. It's very painful to watch at times with the crash and the loss, but it's also filled with hope and unity through sports and relationships. McConaughey is very likable and Matthew Fox is also great. Another great performance was from Anthony Mackie, who played Marshall player Nate Ruffin. He and McConaughey share an incredibly emotional scene that was just terrific. If you enjoy uplifting sports movies, look no further. Rating- *** out of ****

Got this one on the Netflix queue; can't wait to check it out.

Well I watched Death Proof tonight for the first time (yes, I never did get around to seeing Grindhouse in the theater). Needless to say, I thought it was f'ing awesome!!! Great film. I watched it with my brother, who saw it in the theater and afterwards he told me the scenes that weren't shown in theaters. To me, the version I saw would appear to have made more sense, or flowed better, as opposed to them cutting the scenes that weren't shown; of course I say that not having seen the theatrical cut. Either way, it was great effort by Tarantino and co.. Sure, lots of dialogue (what's a Tarantino film w/o some fantastic dialogue?!?!?) but there was some good action too. Sure, it wasn't in abundance, but what was there, was great! Some great muscle cars too.... classics... Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Challanger... simply awesome! I loved the grindhouse throwback vibe too. The supporting cast, all the girls, did great jobs and were super hot. Kurt Russell... yeah, he did a superb job. Tarantino definitely has a foot fetish :p, and it was great to see his previous films make an appearance in one way or another. Overall, I thought this was a really good flick, if you couldn't tell. ;):D

And btw, I can't wait to check out Planet Terror!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kidhuman
09-22-2007, 07:14 AM
I watched The Ex the other day. An alright movie, some funny parts. Jason BAteman is a huge d*ck in it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Ditto here JMG. Loved the first season, finished it up tonight, glad I took it down. Hilarious stuff. I still put The Office ahead of 30 Rock, as far as nonstop hilarity goes, but if The Office didn't win the Emmy, then I'm relatilvely content with 30 Rock winning, which it did. Thursday nights on NBC is gonna own!

I agree here. I just think the awkward moments in The Office are far more frequent, ie- Phyillis' wedding which I STILL can't watch.

Got this one on the Netflix queue; can't wait to check it out.

It's a good flick, you should enjoy it.

Well I watched Death Proof tonight for the first time (yes, I never did get around to seeing Grindhouse in the theater). Needless to say, I thought it was f'ing awesome!!! Great film. I watched it with my brother, who saw it in the theater and afterwards he told me the scenes that weren't shown in theaters. To me, the version I saw would appear to have made more sense, or flowed better, as opposed to them cutting the scenes that weren't shown; of course I say that not having seen the theatrical cut. Either way, it was great effort by Tarantino and co.. Sure, lots of dialogue (what's a Tarantino film w/o some fantastic dialogue?!?!?) but there was some good action too. Sure, it wasn't in abundance, but what was there, was great! Some great muscle cars too.... classics... Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Challanger... simply awesome! I loved the grindhouse throwback vibe too. The supporting cast, all the girls, did great jobs and were super hot. Kurt Russell... yeah, he did a superb job. Tarantino definitely has a foot fetish :p, and it was great to see his previous films make an appearance in one way or another. Overall, I thought this was a really good flick, if you couldn't tell. ;):D

And btw, I can't wait to check out Planet Terror!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AS somebody who saw GRINDHOUSE in the theaters, i'm refusing/boycotting these initial DVD releases. I blogged about this on tuesday, so i'll just cut n' paste the rant here.

1. the DVD is EXTENDED for a reason. Remember the MISSING REEL gag that was hysterically and strategically placed? Yeah, it's gone now. When GH bombed at the US BO, QT and RR added the footage into the film as the films were seperated for a European release, thus losing the GRINDHOUSE experience. QT gave some lame, fast talking excuse about how European audiences wouldn't understand the GH reference anyway (d****e). What it does do for the Weinstein Co. is that it gives them a chance to make more $$ of two films playing seperately. Now, if these deleted scenes were say, NOT IN THE FILM and I was given the option of of watching them via a menu, etc. i'd have no problem, but what version of the film I'm allowed to watch has already been chosen for me. Thanks.

2. And remember those hysterical fake trailers in between "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof?" The trailers for "Don't!," "Werewolf Women of the SS," and "Thanksgiving?" Yeah, they're NOWHERE TO BE SEEN. Neither DVD is including them aside from "Machete" on the PT DVD as Robert Rodriguez is writing/making a full film of "Machete." So, not only do we lose the great MISSING REEL gags and not only are the versions of the film i can watch been chosen for me, we're losing some great bits in between the films.

Frankly, I don't get this, at all. Basically, the folks who saw the films are going to be PO'D and alienated and not buy these flicks. And do they think that random folks who see these flicks in stores are going to pick them up? "Hey, here are those two movies that bombed at the BO.....let's get them!" No. And seriously, if ANYBODY HAS A GOOD QUALITY BOOTLEG OF THE ENTIRE GRINDHOUSE EXPERIENCE AND CAN DVD BURN IT FOR ME, LET ME KNOW. I'll gladly provide DVD-R'S for your troubles. And until the fans get the, FULL theatrical GRINDHOUSE experience, I'll have no guilt trying to track down a high quality bootleg and enjoy it

But yeah, UK, in the theaters, right before the lap dance in DP, we got a great MISSING REEL card and the next scene was the group leaving the bar. It was pretty funny, but that's gone, along with some of the great MISSING REEL cards in PLANET TERROR. I'm just refusing to buy these DVD's and will wait for a theatrical release with the fake trailers that are now gone or until somebody hooks me up with a great bootleg from the film. :thumbsup: Still, glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

DarkArtist
09-22-2007, 06:11 PM
have a few here:

The Benchwarmers - funny flick but it was like I was watching Napolean Dynamite plays baseball.

Hollywoodland - I wanted to see this when it was out in the theaters but when I finally got the chance it was already out of the theaters. Good movie, I think it was pretty interesting to see the various scenarios about how George Reeves might have died.

Highlander : The Source - have to say I am a huge Highlander fan and had really great expectations for this but I have to say, what a huge pile of **** this movie was. I think this one was worst then Highlander 2.

Superman / Doomsday - thought it was pretty good, would have like to have seen it stay more true to the comic book and perhaps have the other Supermen, like Steel, Superboy, Eradicator, and Cyborg Superman as well. would have also like to see them animate the funeral procession with some of the other DC characters.

Kidhuman
09-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Watched Waiting tonight. Damn funny movie. Mitch burned them all with the Goat

Val Da Car
09-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Watched Waiting tonight. Damn funny movie. Mitch burned them all with the Goat

My wife wanted that movie and after watching it she loves it even more.

I pulled a late night and rewatched Silence of the Lambs (HD) Species in HD and DOA (rental)

DOA should have been called TNA because that was all that was in the film.

It aimed low and hit the mark but I like the other films by Corey Yueh (Transporter; Lethal Weapon 4; The One;Jet Li's The Enforcer;Romeo must Die)
so I knew what to expect. I can't wait for my wife to see this, see used to kick my but on the Xbox in DOA anyway.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks to WM resetting their DVD sections this week, I picked up and now watching "Young Frankenstein" that i got for $7.50. They also had Evil Dead 1-2, which I'll get eventually. YF is still a hysterical classic flick. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
09-26-2007, 11:59 PM
You know, I have never seen Young Frankenstein... and I love Gene Wilder too. Whats that all about?!?!? :confused: :crazed:

Slicker
09-27-2007, 02:13 AM
I watched Transformers again the other day. One of the guys I work with bought a damn good bootleg in Kuala Lumpur.

I watched a carp ton of movies out on cruise though.

I watched:

Oceans 13
Disturbia
Transformers
Knocked Up
Evan Almighty
The Holy Trilogy
Just Friends
Grandma's Boy
Ghost Rider (sucked ***)

There are a ton more but I can't think right now.

TeeEye7
09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Just got back from four days of po-lice CSI training stuff in Sacramento. (FBI agents don't retire: they make more money as freelancing instructors!).

After carousing after class, I would watch Ken Burns' The War back at the ol' Holiday Inn. Didn't get to see all of the series, so I guess I'll have to wait until the price comes w-a-y down to buy it and watch the rest.

Good stuff.

BTW: Welcome back, Slick!

UKWildcat
09-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Watched Waiting... again tonight. Damn I love this movie. Naomi is the best!!! :thumbsup:

Also watched The House by the Cemetery, this is one of my favorite Lucio Fulci films, next to Zombie/Zombi 2 of course. Getting ready for my October Halloween Horror movie tear... :D

2-1B
09-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm fixing to fire up Saws 1 thru 3 in preparation of 4 later this month. :grin:

JimJamBonds
09-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm fixing to fire up Saws 1 thru 3 in preparation of 4 later this month. :grin:

Hmmmm I may have to get in on that with you.

JetsAndHeels
09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I watched Chad Pennington crap the bed today vs the Bills....

wait, he just threw another interception!!

DarthQuack
09-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Watched the Giants defense put a whipping on D. McNabb. Saw the Bills gut out a nice win, saw the Mets collapse and laughed about it. Gonna start the DVDTALK contest of watching as many horror/horror related movies in October as I can....on tap tonight since October 1st is 37 minutes away is Tremors!

UKWildcat
09-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Gonna start the DVDTALK contest of watching as many horror/horror related movies in October as I can....on tap tonight since October 1st is 37 minutes away is Tremors!

I'm game!!!! :D

Anyone else down?

2-1B
10-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Knocked Up tonight...

I'm gonna start on some horror stuff this week. Saws as previously mentioned, as well as the Romero saga as well as the remakes of Night and Dawn.

UKWildcat
10-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Is that a 'yes' then Cae? :)

I'm gonna start on the horror/contest tonight as well, here in a minute actually... just need to pick something out. :confused:

Ji'dai
10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Sat through the rest of Ghost Rider last night. Prittty bland. Not a horror film per se, but horrific nonetheless.

Murder runs in a family haunted by the death of a younger sibling in 1963's Dementia 13. Roger Corman produced this film, which was written and directed by Francis Coppola, who later went on to make those obscure mafia family movies.

A former horror film star (Vincent Price) emerges from retirement to once again play his on-screen alter ego, Dr. Death, in 1974's Madhouse. Someone is stalking and murdering cast and crew on the new production, however; and all signs point to the mentally unstable lead actor. Peter Cushing also co-stars in this film, which has quite an inventive shock and twist at the end.

The sole survivor (Vincent Price) of a plague that turned humanity into vampires struggles to stay alive by night and searches for others by day in 1964's The Last Man on Earth. This film is an adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend and features many scenes that are eerily reminiscent of Night of the Living Dead, made four years later. Black-and-white shots of mindless vampires lumbering up to Price's barricaded home and banging on doors and windows surely inspired Romero.

2-1B
10-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Is that a 'yes' then Cae? :)

I won't be able to keep up with you boys but I'll get in a few choice cuts. :)

DarthQuack
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Yea, I'd like to find a few more takers, just think of it more as a challenge not a contest either. I had planned to try to average 1 a day for the month, so 31 is my main goal.

Ji'dai
10-03-2007, 06:13 PM
After a ventriloquist puppet murders his wife, a young man returns home to confront the evil that terrorizes the small town and has haunted his family for generations in Dead Silence. For a show about killer dummies it wasn't all that bad. The film is more ghost story than gorey, which is what I prefer anyway.

Ji'dai
10-05-2007, 05:35 PM
A wealthy widow (Tallulah Bankhead) kidnaps and imprisons her dead son's ex-fiancee (Stefanie Powers) in her rambling mansion in 1965's Die! Die! My Darling! Terrorized by the servants and tortured by the long, drawn-out Bible readings of her kidnapper, the young woman soon realizes that her mother-in-law intends to keep her until death so she can be reunited with her son in heaven. Features a script by Richard Matheson and a young Donald Sutherland as the idiot handyman.

General_Grievous
10-07-2007, 10:26 AM
So for the last two nights I've had to stay in a hotel because parts of my house (including my room) were being renovated. There wasn't much to do except watch movies. The plus side was that they had movies that were still in theaters, or not out on DVD yet. So I had a double feature of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and Spider-Man 3. And at only $4.99 each rental, it wasn't bad.

DarthQuack
10-07-2007, 10:53 AM
NFL Football Jets/Giants and then the Yankees do or die game.

UKWildcat
10-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Watched Bug earlier today. Thought it was pretty stupid. All of the previews and such portrayed it as a horror movie, but I didn't think it was one, for the most part (still adding it to the horror challange since everyone else is, @ DVDTalk). Anyways, coming from William Friedkin, of The Exorcist fame, I was expecting good things, needless to say, I was really disappointed. Only good thing about this one was the acting. Ashley Judd, she did an incredible job. Michael Shannon (who bears some resemblance to Caesar) did a great job as well. Watched An American Werewolf in London afterwards to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Ji'dai
10-08-2007, 05:55 PM
A travel writer (John Cusack) spends the night in 1408, the most haunted room in Samuel L. Jackson's NYC hotel. Hollywood, totally and utterly bankrupt in original ideas and creativity, are scraping the bottom of Stephen King's barrel for new material to make into movies methinks.

An ATF agent (Denzel Washington - flabby, but capable) uses time-travelling video technology to survey the past in order to identify the man responsible for the bombing of a New Orleans ferry in Deja Vu. I thought this one was worth a look. An ATF agent (Denzel Washington - flabby, but capable) uses time-travelling video technology to survey the past in order to identify the man responsible for the bombing of a New Orleans ferry in Deja Vu. I thought this one was worth a look. ;)

Kidhuman
10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Watched Fracture, Princess Bride and some other movie I cant think of in the last week.

Fracture was decent, good watch.

Ji'dai
10-09-2007, 12:18 PM
A doctor saves a colleague from the gallows and enlists him in his experimental brain surgeries on drugged "volunteers" in 1956's The Black Sleep. Features horror veterans Lon Chaney Jr., Bela Lugosi, and Tor Johnson as some of the good doctor's unfortunate victims.

JON9000
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
A travel writer (John Cusack) spends the night in 1408, the most haunted room in Samuel L. Jackson's NYC hotel. Hollywood, totally and utterly bankrupt in original ideas and creativity, are scraping the bottom of Stephen King's barrel for new material to make into movies methinks.

I saw this one. I didn't love it, but I thought it was okay for a short little film. It did recycle a lot from other King adaptations, though.

I looked at it as a throwback to that Hitchcock film that took place entirely in an apartment, and as an almost one-man performance piece. I thought it had a couple of good scares, too.

Blue2th
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Finally saw "Transformers" for the first time on the big screen today before the DVD release.
"The Fantastic 4" and "Rise of the Siver Surfer" together.
I'm glad I just rented these ones.

UKWildcat
10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Watched Dario Argento's Opera (1987) last night. It was one of Dario's movies that I had not seen yet, but owned for some time. There were some things that I didn't like about the movie, but overall I thought it was a pretty decent flick. It wasn't as good as Suspiria or Deep Red. I'd probably put it with the likes of Inferno and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, both of which I enjoyed. Worth a look if you are a fan...

UKWildcat
10-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Watched Wrong Turn 2 last night. This movie was alright. I had heard really good things about it, so I was a little disappointed afterwards; but it wasn't bad. The whole reality show premise didn't work all that well imo. The first half of the movie was forgetful, but the second half was better. That Henry Rollins is something else. I was glad to see the gas station fellow from the first one make an appearance (the guy who just drinks Pepto Bismol); he was great. The movie did have some really good gore and effects, and the inbred mountain people looked pretty good (grotesque as it were). Overall this movie was your typical horror sequel, but better than most out there, but not as good as the first. I guess I would recommend it to fellow horror fans, or fans of Wrong Turn. It's worth a look...

Going to watch 28 Weeks Later this evening, I'm very much looking forward to this one.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Been a while since i've posted due to server issues, but here is a list of flicks i've watched in the last few few weeks.

"We are Marshall"- If you dig inspirational sports flicks, this is for you. Great story (well, not great if you look at the tragedy, but you read me) about a town recovering from a horrific tragedy. I wasn't sure what to make of McConaughey at first, but his performance defiantely grew on me. Good flick. Rating- *** out of ****

"Superman: Doomsday"- Pure crap. It deviates from the original story and creates a really poor one of their own. The voice acting is really bad too as Adam Baldwin is a really bad choice for Superman as he shows no emotion in his voice. The fight scenes are nifty, but they're the only good part. Rating 1/2 out of ****

"1408"- Now, i saw some of the previous blips about this flick and I really disagree. I thought it was a very creepy, very intense, and very well done horror film. I liked the lack of gore, which is refreshing and the idea that the real horrors lie in what's in the human mind and what was brought into the room with Cusack's character. Great film. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

"Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer"- Not a good flick. The plot is goofy, the characters are really poorly done and well, just not a good flick. the only saving grace is Chris Evans and the blips with the Surfer. Rating ** out of ****

and lastly,

"Reign Over Me"- Sandler is fantastic as a man recovering from losing his family in 9/11, but the film has too many random subplots and odd incidents to be coherent. The ending was also a mixed bag as it had a good message, but some elements of it just felt forced. I wanted to enjoy it and it could've been great, but it just wasn't there. Rating **1/2 out of ****

I have my MA exam a week from today, so i'm studying all week, but I did buy "Black Sheep" which i'm sure a few horror nerds have heard about. Mutated sheep run amok and eat humans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gEDUDmZkyc I've also tried to rent "Flight of the Living Dead" over the last few weeks, but the store I go to STILL hasn't gotten it in yet. They're supposed to call me when they do though. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
10-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Watched Blades of GLory last night.

Rebo's_Guitarist
10-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I went to Across the Universe on Friday and it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Im probably going to catch it one more time this week.

Ji'dai
10-14-2007, 12:15 PM
After his fashion-model fiancee is horribly disfigured, an English surgeon (Peter Cushing) develops a technique to restore her beauty in 1968's Corruption. The problem is the treatment is only temporary so he's forced to find fresh tissue "donors" in order to maintain his girl's appearance. This modern Jack-the-Ripper story is watchable and not as predictable as you might expect. It's also worth checking out just to see Grand Moff Tarkin in a tussle with an Austin Powers-like photog at a swinging-60's flat-party-slash-photoshoot.

I picked up 28 Weeks Later and The Hills Have Eyes 2 at the library Friday afternoon but simply have not had time to sit and watch them. Frustrating.

General_Grievous
10-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I watched The Lion King on Broadway today on a college trip. Really great show, if you guys haven't seen it, you should really check it out next time you pay a visit to New York City.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-14-2007, 11:13 PM
I watched The Lion King on Broadway today on a college trip. Really great show, if you guys haven't seen it, you should really check it out next time you pay a visit to New York City.

I caught the production of THE LION KING back in August in Cleveland. It was jaw droppingly awesome. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Not technically a movie, but I finally saw the "Epilogue" episode of Justice League Unlimited.

Absolutely beautiful. As sad as it is that the DCAU is gone, this was the way to wrap it up. Aside from Superman and Static Shock, it tied in well with all the series. Ace dying was actually sad, and makes you wonder if Bruce chose to name his dog Ace after her. Touches from the old Batman:TAS like the Grey Ghost movie and the cameo by the Phantasm were sheer poetry.

But the best part, the most powerful part, was tying everything back into the show that started it all, and reaffirming the character's place: The world will always need a Batman. Shocking as Terry's true origin turned out to be (even though I'd been spoiled on that bit, it still hits hard), the ending with him reconciling with his girl (I forget her name) and Bruce before leaving to go meet Kent (presumably not Clark?) gives us hope that the next Batman will be able to come to terms with his demons, to an extent.

Batman is the greatest hero ever conceived by man. Everyone else who puts on tights and fights evil is trying to live up to his legend.

And, with apologies to comic creators like Bob Kane, Bill Finger, Denny O'Neil, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Alan Grant, and so forth, the animated version is the definitive version of the character.

Again, absolutely beautiful. Like I said, sad to see the universe go, but this is the way to tie it all up in a pretty bow and leave the viewer satisfied.

bigbarada
10-15-2007, 12:51 AM
28 Weeks Later - pretty good, better than the original in some ways but also not really as scary. The disease didn't seem to follow the same rules as the first movie either, but maybe it mutated over the 28 weeks that the "carrier" had it. Not unheard of as far as diseases go.

Bug - horrible movie, absolutely pointless. Easily one of the worst films I've ever seen in my lifetime.

FF:Rise of the Silver Surfer - not bad at all, one of the better superhero movies out there; but it's no Spider-Man 2.

Wrong Turn 2 - laughingly bad, it was kind of interesting to watch the special features when the director said "We're not making a comedy!" and my first thought was, "well maybe not on purpose." :D It tried so hard to be shocking and vile that I couldn't help but just laugh at the stupidity of it all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-15-2007, 06:51 PM
This past weekend I saw Hot Fuzz and 28 Weeks Later, both of which were pretty good but nothing to write home about.

Kidhuman
10-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Watched Saw II today. Pretty sweet flick. Watched Silent Hill again a few days ao. Am I the only one who really likes that movie?

Ji'dai
10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I liked Silent Hill, KH. Radha Mitchell is a hot little momma. Seems like all of Alice Krige characters tend to meet with a wet, sticky end.

Watched 28 Weeks Later last night. The gore and violence was brutal and relentless, but the movie just didn't resonate with me. All signs point to another sequel in this franchise 28 months later.

Ji'dai
10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
National Guard trainees encounter the mutant inbred hillpeople in The Hills Have Eyes 2. I thought this one was better than the first. Wes Craven didn't pull any punches with this one; it's not like you see many live-births and rape scenes all in the same film.

Finally made it through The Wicker Man last night. A motorcycle cop (Nicholas Cage) infiltrates a strange matriarchal commune to search for his ex's missing daughter. The film held promise at first, but tends to be more annoying than entertaining.

Started my annual The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror quasi-marathon too. I've watched THOH I-IV so far, all from my DVD sets. Though the DVD quality is superior to my original VHS recordings of the episodes off TV, it's just not quite the same. Watching the VHS tapes with their old commercials and Halloween-themed FOX station identifications really takes me back.

UKWildcat
10-19-2007, 10:40 PM
National Guard trainees encounter the mutant inbred hillpeople in The Hills Have Eyes 2. I thought this one was better than the first. Wes Craven didn't pull any punches with this one; it's not like you see many live-births and rape scenes all in the same film.

I just watched this, The Hills Have Eyes 2 (remake), earlier today. I think I enjoyed this one better than the first (remake of the original) as well. Not sure how it stacks up to the original The Hills Have Eyes part II b/c I have never seen it; I hear it is awful though. Either way, this was a fairly entertaining horror movie and I'm glad I took it down. I liked how the ending was blunt but effective, even though the final sequence was cliche.

Plan on firing up 28 Weeks Later sometime soon, maybe tonight. I have been meaning to watch this for more than a week now but haven't been able to.

Kidhuman
10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Watched DOOM last night. It was ok if you liked the game. didnt really follow the game too much, butwhen The Rock finds the BFG, its pretty funny to hear him call it by its nickname.

UKWildcat
10-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Finally got around to watching 28 Weeks Later last night. I thought it was awesome. Like bigbarada said, there were several elements of the sequel that I preferred to the original. Not sure which I liked more (probably the first one), still thinking about it, but the sequel definitely stacks up to the original imo; one of the better sequel efforts out there. I absolutely loved the beginning, with the group of people in the house and the attack/chase that ensued shortly after. After that it seemed like the movie kind of took a break, setting up the plot and what not, which is understandable, but it was still kind of slow there for a bit. But the action and suspense returned shortly after and never let up. I don't want to say too much for those who haven't seen it yet, but one element was very predictable; not sure if it was intended to be or not, but it was. The night vision scope thing in the subway/train station kind of annoyed me; they could have done a lot more with that idea/sequence than they did. The ending was great, and I'm very curious to see where they take this franchise next -- if the very end was any suggestion, then we already know; which should be awesome! The special effects and gore was flawless. While there were a couple cons to the movie, the pros easily outweigh them... and make for a very enjoyable horror flick. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
I definately enjoyed 28 WEEKS LATER as well (see the original review I posted in its thread, might hafta search). I loved how it was still shot in that same gritty, almost documentary style feel and this one definately upped the amount of action, blood, and gore. Plus, I loved how the virus is constantly changing and evolving, which as you said, isn't unheard of. It's not as good as its predecessor, but its damn close! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
10-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Watched The Reaping today. Very good movie. Not a typical horror flick with blood and gore, more along the lines of a thriller with some very creepy stuff going on.

Ji'dai
10-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I thought Transformers was pretty entertaining, though Shia LaBeouf's smart-alecky back-peddling dialogue and vocal delivery was a bit grating after awhile. I watched a widescreen copy on my 27" screen and had a bit of trouble making out the battling robots at times. But I thought it was worthwhile enough that I plan to watch it again before taking it back to the library.

Not as good was Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I thought the first FF outing was pretty average fare, and this sequel is on par with it's predecessor.

A young wheelchair-bound woman (Susan Strasberg), haunted by ghostly visions of her father, begins to think that her step-mother may have killed the old man to get his money in 1961's Scream of Fear. It's a decent horror film from this era. Also stars scream-king veteran Christopher Lee as the family physician.

An orphaned Norseman (Karl Urban) is adopted and raised by a coastal North American tribe after his countrymen's ship runs aground in The Pathfinder. When another wave of Vikings arrive, the young warrior must defend his adopted people against the onslaught of these foreign invaders and their advanced weaponry. Though not outstanding, I thought the film is worth a look.

Ji'dai
10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Someone is brutally murdering the most wealthy and popular students at the exclusive Ivy League prep-school, Crawford Academy, in 1981's Happy Birthday to Me. Though fairly tame by today's standards, this slasher flick does have a plot with a twist at the end, and there's still plenty of gore to go around.

Kidhuman
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
I watched Deja-Vu this morning. Denzel Washington, Val Kilmer and Jim Caviziel star in it. Great movie, kind of confusing, but all makes sense at the end. Its about time trael and stopping a terrorist from blowing up a ferry.

Ji'dai
10-24-2007, 03:28 PM
A strange meteor shower leaves most of the world's population completely blind and helpless prey for giant carnivorous walking plants in 1963's The Day of the Triffids. This decent disaster flick follows a small group of sighted survivors as they attempt to regroup and battle the horrific poison-spitting florae that has replaced humanity atop the food chain.

Rocketboy
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Transformers I watched a widescreen copy on my 27" screen and had a bit of trouble making out the battling robots at times. It wasn't your screen.

2-1B
10-24-2007, 11:30 PM
We Own the Night
Not exactly the plotline that I thought it was going to be but I really enjoyed it.

JimJamBonds
10-24-2007, 11:39 PM
We Own the Night
Not exactly the plotline that I thought it was going to be but I really enjoyed it.

What about that opening scene? :lipsrsealed:

2-1B
10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh jeez that was MORE than I expected !!! :grin:

:eva mendes: :love:

Ji'dai
10-25-2007, 08:50 AM
It wasn't your screen. I'm pretty sure it is mine, even though it has that Sony feller's name on it.

Ji'dai
10-26-2007, 05:34 PM
A man and his family inherit a mansion from an eccentric uncle who dabbled in the occult and collected apparitions in 1960's 13 Ghosts. The ghosts can be seen with a special set of spectacles, and unlike the specters in the 2001 remake with Tony Shalhoub, are not necessarily malevolent - they end up helping the family expose the treachery of their greedy lawyer in the end. Though the movie tries hard to be scary, it winds up coming across as a Halloween-themed Leave it to Beaver episode (the parents even sleep in separate beds - I mean, c'mon!). The film was made by b-movie king William Castle, who often spent more money on gimmicks to promote his films than on the films themselves. (He once had vibrating buzzers attached to theater seats for one horror picture). For this particular film, 3D glasses were given out to the audience, so the ghosts could be visible or invisible depending on which lens the viewer used. The movie also co-stars Margaret Hamilton, who played the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz.

2-1B
10-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Saws 1 and 2 yesterday, will try to get to Saw 3 tonight otherwise tomorrow morning for sure...gonna see Saw 4 tomorrow night. :grin:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-26-2007, 10:42 PM
A couple very positive film blips:

"Flight of the Living Dead"- Pure B movie zombie schlock. Action, zombies, campiness and B-actors getting eaten. Worth a rental if you dig that thing. *** out of ****

"The Wind that Shakes the Barley"- Beautifully shot film about war and crisis during Ireland's independence struggle from England. It lacked a few character development issues, but overall, very good film.- *** out of ****

"The Hoax"- richard Gere is FANTASTIC here as Clifford Irving, the man who scammed the world into thinking he had communications with recluse Howard Hughes and gave him authorization to write his autobiography. Gere is really good here, playing a complete scoundrel and Alfred Molina is great here too. *** out of ****

"Fido"- Great 1950's satirical film set in an alternate universe after THE ZOMBIE WARS where zombies are domesticated servants and employees. When the Robinson family buys a new servant, Fido, he forms a bond with the son and wife....and eventually eats people and causes hell. Pretty hysterical. *** out of ****

lastly,

"The Darjeeling Limited"- Wes Anderson's new film is more drama than comedy, but it's still a very solid outing. Adrien Brody, Owen Wilson and Jason Schwartzman play three brothers on a journey through India attempting to reforge the family bond that has been lost. Has all the elements of a Wes Anderson film and I loved it. ***1/2 out of ****

UKWildcat
10-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Watched Mr. Brooks tonight. I really enjoyed this movie. Kevin Costner easily delivers one of his better performances as of late. William Hurt does a great job as well. Demi Moore and Dane Cook provide some rather convincing performances too. This movie turned out to be a pretty good psychological thriller. Good story with multiple subplots that come together very nicely towards the end of the film; they way everything develops and plays out is very well done. There are also a few twists throughout, which is to be expected with this genre, but they are not ridiculous and keep everything in check. If you are in the mood for a not so typical serial killer psychological thriller then this one is worth a look, especially for those of you who are fans of films like American Psycho. Recommended! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
10-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Watched Seed of Chucky, Child's Play 2, Child's Play 3, and FINALLY got around to watching Superman Returns. I've had that movie since the Ultimate Collection came out and just never made myself sit down and watch it, I enjoyed it very much though, really good flick.

Kidhuman
10-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I watched Superman Returns as well today. Also watched 300 the other day again.

General_Grievous
10-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Saw IV yesterday and Spider-Man 3 today.

Rocketboy
10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Yesterday I watched An Evening With Kevin Smith (all 3 1/2 hours).
Tonight, after planning on doing so for weeks now, I finally got around to watching The Departed again. This is damn near a perfect movie.

UKWildcat
10-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Saw IV

I'm afraid to venture into the Saw IV thread for fear of spoilers. That said, what did you think of Saw IV? And anyone else who has seen it, what did you think? (no spoilers please). Thanks. :)

2-1B
10-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Yuke, you definitely need to stay out of the Saw 4 thread, we are dissecting it pretty good in there. :)

I liked it, definitely worth a theatrical viewing. But I go to tons of movies in the theater, so this is a no brainer for me. No chance I was gonna miss Saw 4, it's a tradition !!!

General_Grievous
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Definitely check it out, UK. If you liked the first three, you'll like this one.

Ji'dai
10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
A large amphibious creature emerges from the polluted Han River in Seoul, South Korea, and attacks people along the riverfront in The Host (2006). This enjoyable monster movie follows a dysfunctional family as they help their ne'er-do-well brother escape quarantine and rescue his young daughter, who was taken by the creature. I watched the film in Korean with English subtitles, but a dubbed version is also available on the DVD.

Kidhuman
10-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Watched Spiderman 3 last night. A pretty decent movie, good wrap up to the trilogy. The only part I had an issue withwas the dance scene in the jazz club.

2-1B
10-31-2007, 11:05 PM
30 Days of Night.

I'm surprised the vampires didn't all die from boredom...I know I almost did.

UKWildcat
10-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Man, thought that movie looked awesome too... Thats really disappointing to hear... :upset:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Man, thought that movie looked awesome too... Thats really disappointing to hear... :upset:

Yeah, i'm still going to see it as my friends have raved about it. plus, Caesar did like "Blades of Glory" so you really can't trust him. :p j/k Caesar! :crazed:

Lord Malakite
11-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Watched Spiderman 3 last night. A pretty decent movie, good wrap up to the trilogy.
I think what you meant to say is that its a good partial wrap up for the quadrilogy. :cross-eye According to Entertainment Weekly Sony has hired James Vanderbilt to write Spider-Man 4, which is currently scheduled for a 2009 release.

Ji'dai
11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
After narrowly surviving a car crash, an alienated young woman becomes a church organist in a distant town in 1962's Carnival of Souls. Inexplicably drawn to the abandoned amusement park just outside of town and haunted by visions of dead people, she eventually realizes that she may not have survived that crash after all. Though not a bad film, it seemed more like a feature-length episode of the Twilight Zone.

2-1B
11-01-2007, 08:30 PM

Yeah, i'm still going to see it as my friends have raved about it. plus, Caesar did like "Blades of Glory" so you really can't trust him. :p j/k Caesar! :crazed:

It wasn't bad, I just didn't like some things about it...specifically the vampire that looked like Marilyn Manson/Paul from the Wonder Years. lol

Oh yeah and the head vamp is a tool.

Josh Hartnett was cool so props to him and Melissa George is adorable.

The movie was decent, but not great at all.

JetsAndHeels
11-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I viewed Saw IV tonight...enjoyed it alot.

Still trying to make sense of all the different plotlines going on in this film. I love movies that make me think!!

Kidhuman
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Just watched 1408. Very freaky movie, but its King what else would you expect.

El Chuxter
11-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Shawshank, Stand by Me, and Green Mile weren't freaky.

Rocketboy
11-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Just got back from Gone Baby Gone. Great movie, great performances.
Too bad it hasn't done very well.

Ji'dai
11-03-2007, 04:42 PM
There have been a rash of Stephen King adaptations lately that I never thought would be done. I've read most of his stuff, including the short story collections, and was simply amazed that Secret Window, 1408, and most recently, The Mist, were ever optioned at all. I didn't think the original short stories were really all that good to begin with.

The adaptations that Chux mentioned were both good reads and quite entertaining movies.

General_Grievous
11-03-2007, 09:46 PM

Neither was "Silver Bullet". Gary Busey + Corey Haim = hilarious shenanigans!

Anyway, I've been breezing through the Spider-Man trilogy. I'm on the second film right now.

UKWildcat
11-03-2007, 11:31 PM
May contain a very minor spoiler or two:

Speaking of Spider-Man, I watched Spider-Man 3 for the first time last night. The good: Bruce Campbell, Bryce Dallas Howard and Thomas Haden Church. The bad: Just about everything else, and the fact that "The good" wasn't featured in the film enough... I don't know... I really didn't care much for this Spider-Man; it is easily my least favorite thus far. It would have/could have been much better if they scrapped the whole Peter Parker alter-ego/possessed/trying to be a cool bada**/what ever you want to call it thing... cut all of those scenes out and you greatly improve the film overall, but I still don't think it would make up for it; it would help though, no doubt. The first part of the movie wasn't bad, and I was rather optimistic (considering all the negative things I heard about it), but it gradually went down hill thereafter (and only confirmed what I had heard about it). Some of the special effects were well done, others were not. Some of the fight sequences were well done, others were not. The movie was quite predictable too. I really enjoyed Bruce Campbell's cameo/character... he made me laugh out loud. I liked Thomas Haden Church as the Sandman and I liked how I was able to sympathize with his character, but he disappeared there for a good portion of the movie which hurt the film overall. Venom was alright too, well his special effects.. everything else about that character was forgettable. Just about everything involving Peter Parker and Mary Jane was obnoxious and forgettable as well. So yeah, I was disappointed with this movie.

El Chuxter
11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Saw Borat earlier today. I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, since everyone seems to worship this movie like a pagan idol, but what is the big frigging deal? The character seemed pretty funny, but 99% of the jokes either didn't carry through to a punchline, or they went way beyond the point where they ceased to be funny. I only laughed twice: the bear in the ice cream truck (and not, as you may suspect, simply because a bear appeared) and the entire rodeo bit.

I don't care how many libel lawsuits are pending, you will never, ever convince me that this entire movie wasn't totally put on. Especially Pamela Anderson and the routine at the news station.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad, but it wasn't good, either. Pretty middle-of-the-road, all said.

DarthQuack
11-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Watched Superman III and Superman IV: A Quest for Peace over the weekend. I had forgotten that Gene Hackman did the voice for Nuclear Man....kind of lame if you ask me.

El Chuxter
11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Watched Superman III and Superman IV: A Quest for Peace over the weekend....

DQ, you should never give up hope. There are reasons to live, my friend! If the thought of watching these two movies ever crosses your mind again, there are hotlines you should call.

Kidhuman
11-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Saw Borat earlier today. I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, since everyone seems to worship this movie like a pagan idol, but what is the big frigging deal? The character seemed pretty funny, but 99% of the jokes either didn't carry through to a punchline, or they went way beyond the point where they ceased to be funny. I only laughed twice: the bear in the ice cream truck (and not, as you may suspect, simply because a bear appeared) and the entire rodeo bit.

I don't care how many libel lawsuits are pending, you will never, ever convince me that this entire movie wasn't totally put on. Especially Pamela Anderson and the routine at the news station.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad, but it wasn't good, either. Pretty middle-of-the-road, all said.

The only other thing that was funny was when they were fighting in the Hotel room and the fat dude was yelling wile sitting on is face.

2-1B
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Pamcakes was a definite put on, as were many other parts such as the prostitute, etc...but some other parts were legit, I believe.

Green Mile was freaky when the dude lit up in the chair :D and Stand By Me, well that's got the open-eyed corpse of Ray Brauer. :eek: Scared the hell out of me as a kid. :grin:

TeeEye7
11-07-2007, 06:44 AM
O, Brother Where Art Thou?
and
Spider-Man 3 over the weekend.

Unearthed The Blue Max this weekend, too, looking for my Civil War series (Ken Burns) for my son's buddy. I'll have to wait to wait until next weekend to see Ursula and her towel in the Max. :lipsrsealed:

UKWildcat
11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
O, Brother Where Art Thou?

Love this movie!!! Of course, I love just about anything by the Coen Brothers ... :)

Speaking of the Coen brothers, watched The Big Lebowski a couple days ago. Just picked up a HD-DVD player and this was the first movie I bought for it. Great video transfer on the HD-DVD version, audio was superb as well. And we all know how good the movie is...

Also watched Knocked Up again, for the first (time all the way through) since the theater actually. I think this movie is hilarious, one of my favorite works of Apatow. :thumbsup:

I also watched Hostel II yesterday. Blah... Some of the chicks were cute. The violence/gore was alright, not as intense as the first movie though. The ending was rather stupid, and bad. Overall this movie was not very good, another one for the garbage can by Mr. Eli Roth.

Watching Night Watch right now in preparation for Day Watch, which I plan on taking down within the next few days. Really looking forward to that one. :thumbsup:

The Dude abides...

2-1B
11-08-2007, 12:16 AM
[/B]Speaking of the Coen brothers, watched The Big Lebowski a couple days ago. Just picked up a HD-DVD player and this was the first movie I bought for it. Great video transfer on the HD-DVD version, audio was superb as well. And we all know how good the movie is...

You couldn't have picked a better movie to start with !!! :grin:

"I like yer style, Dude."
-- The Stranger --

I saw Dan in Real Life last night...it was decent.

Ji'dai
11-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Not even seeing Ashley Judd nekkid could save BUG from being a wretched waste of time. Though I can't really say that I watched the movie in it's entirety since I fast-forwarded through the last third of it.

bigbarada
11-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Not even seeing Ashley Judd nekkid could save BUG from being a wretched waste of time. Though I can't really say that I watched the movie in it's entirety since I fast-forwarded through the last third of it.

They set themselves on fire and the movie ends. Totally pointless story.

I watched it all the way through, because I thought that the story had to be going somewhere, but it didn't. They kill themselves, the movie stops, no resolution whatsoever.

DarthQuack
11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Started watching Seinfeld from the beginning since I just picked up the complete series set :P. Also watching Survivor followed by The Office.

JetsAndHeels
11-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Watched Planet Terror earlier tonight after Smallville for like the 3rd time in the past 2 weeks

to everyones surprise I watched Superman Returns last night

TeeEye7
11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
[/B]

Love this movie!!! Of course, I love just about anything by the Coen Brothers ... :)

Agreed. Anytime Raising Arizona or Fargo comes on, I have to sit and watch to the protests of others in the house. Joel and Ethan do some crazy, wonderful stuff, don't they? I have to give Fargo the nod as being my fave. Maybe it's the cop connection.

UKWildcat
11-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Agreed. Anytime Raising Arizona or Fargo comes on, I have to sit and watch to the protests of others in the house. Joel and Ethan do some crazy, wonderful stuff, don't they? I have to give Fargo the nod as being my fave. Maybe it's the cop connection.

Oh yeah, two quality films there. Fargo is outstanding... very beautiful... very well done. I absolutely love Raising Arizona. Probably my favorite straight-up comedy by the Coen bros ( I know Caesar doesn't particularly care for this one, but I won't hold it against him ;)). I am still waiting on an anamorphic release of Raising. :mad: The Big Lebowski is quality, very funny... but it also has other elements that Raising doesn't have (which is a good thing); one of my faves. As I mentioned before, I really like O Brother, it has been a while since I have seen that one. Then there are some of the other lesser known (to most people) earlier works by the Coen brothers;like The Hudsucker Proxy, Barton Fink, Blood Simple that I enjoy very much. I've only seen Miller's Crossing once, but from what I remember I didn't really care for it much. Caesar has convinced me that I need to watch it again, but I still, to this day, haven't gotten around to watching it for the second time. The Man Who Wasn't There, Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers were all decent but they aren't as special as the previously mentioned films (atleast to me they aren't). I'm really hoping that I will be able to make time for No Country for Old Men when it comes out in a few, as I've only heard excellent things about it. [/end Coen brothers rant]

I got around to watching Day Watch earlier today. This movie was a worthy sequel to Night Watch but to me, it fell short a little bit. It was good, but it didn't quite live up to what I was expecting after watching the first installment. It was a tad long, at 2.5 hours, and there was quite a bit going on. I think I am going to have to watch it again in order to better appreciate and completely understand what took place, to be honest with you. Good film though, and a must watch for those of you who gave the Russian (Dir. Timur Bekmambetov) Night Watch a go. The ending was pretty wild. :crazed: :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
11-09-2007, 02:52 AM
You couldn't have picked a better movie to start with !!! :grin:

"I like yer style, Dude."
-- The Stranger --

I thought you'd like that. :)

Sam Elliot is a bada**

The Dude abides...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Started watching Seinfeld from the beginning since I just picked up the complete series set :P. Also watching Survivor followed by The Office.

Yeah, if by some chance you don't want that coffee table book and roundtable DVD, i'll GLADLY pay you for them. hehehehe I'm PO'D cos I have been buying each season as they've been released and how do I get rewarded? I miss out on a chance to buy some great extras cos they're only available to those who buy the whole set. That has made A LOT of fans angry. So, yeha, you know you don't want those Quack! :crazed:

2-1B
11-09-2007, 08:01 PM
JMGuy - I hear ya on the Seinfeld Round Table disc, brother. :mad: I do know someone at work who is probably gonna by that Gift Set so I'll be sure to borrow that disc from her. ;)

Yuke - is this Day Watch you refer to in any way related to the Ewan McGregor Night Watch movie ?

Watching an encore of The Office from last night. Gonna watch a few DVDs tonight, not sure what exactly but one of them will be Knocked Up.

UKWildcat
11-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Yuke - is this Day Watch you refer to in any way related to the Ewan McGregor Night Watch movie ?

No sir, not at all. I thought we discussed this in the past; very vague memory, but I think it was you Cae. ;) At any rate, these movies are based off of Sergei Lukyanenko's (Russian author) novel(s); they are also filmed in Russian so you have the option of subtitles or dubbed. The movies are very interesting and quite entertaining. You should check them out, atleast the first one, and see if you can get into it.

Watching an encore of The Office from last night. Gonna watch a few DVDs tonight, not sure what exactly but one of them will be Knocked Up.

I'm tempted to watch Knocked Up again, even though I just watched it a few days ago. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-09-2007, 10:54 PM
JMGuy - I hear ya on the Seinfeld Round Table disc, brother. :mad: I do know someone at work who is probably gonna by that Gift Set so I'll be sure to borrow that disc from her. ;)

Cae, if you were to just to accidentally burn a few copies of that DVD or if you were to make color copies of that book just purely by accident, let me know. :thumbsup: I would feel bad about it, but it's assinine how they're boning over the fans who have purchased each season. At least let us send in UPC's or something to get that extra book and DVD!

No sir, not at all. I thought we discussed this in the past; very vague memory, but I think it was you Cae. ;) At any rate, these movies are based off of Sergei Lukyanenko's (Russian author) novel(s); they are also filmed in Russian so you have the option of subtitles or dubbed. The movies are very interesting and quite entertaining. You should check them out, atleast the first one, and see if you can get into it.

I'm tempted to watch Knocked Up again, even though I just watched it a few days ago. :thumbsup:

I need to watch DAY WATCH too, but I need to go back and rewatch NIGHT WATCH (and I said the word "watch" too many times in that sentence). I prefer the subs though. And I love how they did the subs for that vampire chick in NW, how they slide and ooze off the screen like blood. Very cool! I'm very excited for more of these flicks! :thumbsup:

and I took in another viewing of KNOCKED UP yesterday. Still a hysterical flick! :crazed:

Kidhuman
11-10-2007, 06:39 AM
I wathed Knocked Up as well last night. Funny flick. Good stuff.

UKWildcat
11-10-2007, 03:03 PM
After a ventriloquist puppet murders his wife, a young man returns home to confront the evil that terrorizes the small town and has haunted his family for generations in Dead Silence. For a show about killer dummies it wasn't all that bad. The film is more ghost story than gorey, which is what I prefer anyway.

I just got around to watching Dead Silence last night. I was trying to squeeze it into the Halloween Horror Challenge, but I was unsuccessful. Anyways, I enjoyed it. Like you said, you usually wouldn't expect a very good movie about killer puppets/dummies/ventriloquists and etc., but this one wasn't bad at all. You could tell that the movie was done by James Wan because it did have the whole Saw vibe/feel to it; which was a good thing. And like you mentioned, it did focus more on scare than gore, which was refreshing (I love both though ;)). The ending was great too, had the whole Saw twist style to it as well. So yeah, I liked this movie. It is one of the better horror efforts to come out as of late. I can recommend it to those of you who are fans of the genre.

I need to watch DAY WATCH too, but I need to go back and rewatch NIGHT WATCH (and I said the word "watch" too many times in that sentence). I prefer the subs though. And I love how they did the subs for that vampire chick in NW, how they slide and ooze off the screen like blood. Very cool! I'm very excited for more of these flicks! :thumbsup:

I usually prefer the subs too, but I watched Day Watch dubbed; I was feeling lazy and it was almost 2.5 hours long which was intimidating (reading the subtitles for that length of time didn't sound fun at the time ;)). Be sure to post your thoughts after watching it JMG! It seemed like I was the only one on the board that watched these movies, glad to hear that I'm not. Very curious to hear what you think of it. :)

Ji'dai
11-10-2007, 06:43 PM
A rancher (Van Heflin) is paid to escort the suave leader (Glenn Ford) of an outlaw gang to catch a train to the territory prison in 1957's 3:10 to Yuma. The film's tension and suspense is built more through psychological means rather than on cliched western-style action and violence, though this movie does offer some of that. I haven't seen the Russell Crowe/Christian Bale remake of this one, but I can bet that Hollywood ramped up the action and violence for today's ADHD audiences.

General_Grievous
11-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I saw American Gangster today. Really good movie, one of the best I've seen this year. A lot of great actors in it, and Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe both gave great performances. It was interesting to see the rise and fall of Frank Lucas and how he practically owned Harlem.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I watched Knocked Up last night. Really funny, but a bit long and overhyped. I liked Superbad better, but it was still really good.

UKWildcat
11-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Just got through watching The Departed on HBO (HD). I didn't really plan on watching it but it sucked me in; this was only my second viewing too. I kinda forgot how awesome the movie was. Before I knew it, the end credits were rolling. I love the rat on the railing there at the end too. hehe. :thumbsup:

I'm going to try and get through Knocked Up again a little later tonight.

Kidhuman
11-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Watched 28 Weeks Later last night. Great follow up. Cant wait to see them rip France apart in the next one.

Blue2th
11-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Watched 28 Weeks Later last night. Great follow up. Cant wait to see them rip France apart in the next one.

We, we...it's all the rage in France. ;)

TeeEye7
11-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Watched The Blue Max last night with George "A-Team" Peppard and Ursula "Dr. No" Andress :love: and her towel. Ursula was responsible for launching a lot of :twisted: thoughts in my little 12-year-old brain back in the day!

If stillakid reads this: you should check this movie out. I think it's got some pretty interesting camera work for 1966, and I'd like to hear your opinion on it. I think it was ahead of its time in its technique.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Definately. The sequel is still on hiatus I believe as Fox is seeing how the film does on DVD. I only had one gripe with the film that i won't say here for risk of spoiler, but look at my review in the 28 Weeks Later thread if you wanna talk about it, KH. :thumbsup:

2-1B
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Fred Claus - surprisingly VERY good, I definitely love Vince Vaughn but as a PG movie I figured it would be pretty watered down and weak. It was actually REALLY good, I will definitely watch that again on DVD.

American Gangster - as good as I expected it to be. Great story, great acting, really drew me in for the full 2 hours 40 minutes.

JetsAndHeels
11-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I watched Mr. Brooks last night. I rented this one on a whim, just because I felt like watching something different from the usual sci-fi/horror I had been watching the past few weeks.
It was actually a good movie. I liked the acting performances by Costner, William Hurt especially, and Dane Cook did a good job, to my surprise.

Fixing to watch Flags of our Fathers again on dvd..picked it up at Best Buy tonight on sale.

UKWildcat
11-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Watched The Matrix, of all things, earlier today. I picked up the HD-DVD trilogy some time ago and completely forgot about it (got it for like $20 b/c of a price mistake at CC or BB). So I decided to fire it up for the first time in years. First off, the Video transfer is amazing, the audio is awesome as well; very good quality HD-DVD. The movie is quite good as well. I'm not one of those die hard Matrix fanatics, but I enjoy this first one immensely. The second and third ones, not soo much, they are okay (worthy sequels), but not nearly as good as the first. I plan on revisiting (no Matrix pun intended) the sequels soon as well, so my opinion may change.

Also watched the Spongebob Squarepants Movie earlier today as well. Great little movie. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
11-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Fred Claus - surprisingly VERY good, I definitely love Vince Vaughn but as a PG movie I figured it would be pretty watered down and weak. It was actually REALLY good, I will definitely watch that again on DVD.

American Gangster - as good as I expected it to be. Great story, great acting, really drew me in for the full 2 hours 40 minutes.

You forgot to mention the 2 for 1 deal our theater had going on Saturday! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Continued my Bond marathon over the weekend completing the brief, but solid Timothy Dalton era and got one film into the Brosnan reign.

"The Living Daylights"- The film is a bit all over the place at times, but it manages to tie things together at the end. The villians are decent although Joe Don Baker came off as just odd at the end, but Timothy Dalton does a great job of injecting the Bond franchise with some much needed seriousness although he has a bit of charm, he's almost TOO humorless at times. Still, it's a nice contrast to Moore's often campy era. The action scenes are pretty solid too. rating- ***

"License to Kill"- One of the more gruesome/bloody Bond films, the series gets personal when Bond ally/close friend Felix Leiter is attacked and nearly murdered by Sanchez (robert davi), a south american drug lord. Bond resigns from MI6, gets his license to kill revoked and goes on a revenge mission. This is a great Bond film due to how damned gritty and dark it is; and the bond girl is pretty great too, kicking a whole lotta keister. Making the story more personal was a great idea and the action scenes are great including one that reminded me of "Thunderball" a bit. Great flick! Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

And the Brosnan reign begins!

"Goldeneye"- Ah, yes, a Bond classic. Brosnan brings in a load of charm and fun to the role taking on the mysterious Janus syndicate who have stolen the goldeneye, capable of omitting a massive EMP 30 miles wide. Featuring the fiesty hot Xenia Onnatopp (sp?) and the uber sexy Natalya bond gal who James along with a great performance from Sean Bean, it's one of the better Bond films. Rating **** out of ****

General_Grievous
11-13-2007, 11:10 AM
For the past two days, I've been without a computer. So I've watched a few DVDs to pass the time. I watched Spider-Man 3, Ratatouille, The Departed, and Forrest Gump.

Ji'dai
11-16-2007, 08:25 PM
An aging bluesman (Samuel L. Jackson) helps a lascivious young woman (Christina Ricci) find peace and self-respect in Black Snake Moan. I thought this one is definitely worth a look.

UKWildcat
11-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Finally got around to watching Planet Terror last night. I thought this movie was great. I did like how we at least got to see one of the trailers, Machete, but I'm still very curious to see the others. Anyways, I loved the story behind Planet Terror and the movie itself was a nice change of pace when compared to Death Proof, and vice versa. I enjoyed both films immensely but I might have to give the edge to Planet Terror. Rose McGowan was hot, Freddy Rodriguez was a bada**, ya had to love the brothers Fahey and Biehn (it was good to see both of these guys in something significant again). Yeah, the cast was well chosen and they all did wonderful jobs. Robert Rodriguez did his thing, and did it well. Some very cool special effects and gore in this one too. I can say that I am very pleased with the Grindhouse dvd releases that we have thus far (I did grab both the Best Buy Steelbooks which makes me enjoy them even more, for sure), but I still regret not catching it in the theater. If and when they do decide to release Grindhouse as a whole and complete entity, I will definitely purchase it without any hesitations or reservations, and I will keep my Steelbooks too. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-18-2007, 02:43 PM
An aging bluesman (Samuel L. Jackson) helps a lascivious young woman (Christina Ricci) find peace and self-respect in Black Snake Moan. I thought this one is definitely worth a look.

I really enjoyed BSM. It was a nice surprise and it had a lot of great music and imagery. That last scene was awesome! :thumbsup:

Caught "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" last night. Probably one of the best films of the year. If Pitt doesn't get an oscar for this, or at least an oscar nod, i'll be really shocked. He does a great job as Jesse James and the film works as it sets up this image of James as a family man along with his identity as a thief and murderer. Casey Affleck surprised me and did a great job as Ford, the man who does the deed. It's really well shot with lots of GORGEOUS imagery of hills, snow, and midwest plains (though it was filmed in Canada. lol). It also boasts one of the best scores i've heard in years. It's a tad long clocking in at 2 hours and 40 minutes, but it takes its time and sets everything up and lets it simmer before the known conclusion. A masterpiece. Rating- **** out of **** :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
11-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the review JMG. This was a movie I've been interested in seeing, yet not sure because I'm not exactly a Pitt fan (with the exception of his work in 12 Monkeys). I think you've convinced me to go see it in the theater and not go the Netfilx route.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

2-1B
11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Earlier this week I watched The Big Lebowski on two consecutive nights. Never gets old to me. :)

Drilled through a handful of episodes from Office Season 3 with some friends last night as well.

Jargo
11-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Bee movie and TMNT cgi. Bee movie was so-so. sort of falls between kids and adults in a weird way. Patrick Warburton needs to find a new voice his shouting stressed out act is getting tired.
TMNT was cool. The ending was weak but at least 90% of the movie kicked butt.

2-1B
11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry for the 4th or 5th time...Rob Schneider cracks me up in this movie.

Kidhuman
11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
About to watch Chuck and Larry one in a few minutes

DarthQuack
11-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Up to Season Six of Seinfeld....watching a disc or two a day.

JimJamBonds
11-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry for the 4th or 5th time...Rob Schneider cracks me up in this movie.

'cause its like a circle.

Kidhuman
11-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Chuck and Larry is a pretty funny movie. Schneider is hilarious in it. He ad me laughing as did the homeless man who peed himself

JetsAndHeels
11-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Watched The Reaping last night. Pretty good flick, with a good plot.
Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.
And Hillary Swank doesn't look half bad when she is actually portraying a female

Kidhuman
11-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Watched Planet Terror today. Good Flick. Loved the preview for Machete

Ji'dai
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Enjoyed watching Spider-Man 3 last night for the first time. I think I'd have a greater appreciation for this trilogy if different actors had been cast for Parker and MJ. Tobey Maguire has made some entertaining movies, but he's just a bit too nerdy for even Peter Parker IMO. I haven't seen any Kirsten Dunst movies I actually liked, except for maybe Jumanji.

DarthQuack
11-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Watching some college hoops, Syracuse vs Ohio State on ESPN the Deuce.

Kidhuman
11-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Caught the Untouchables last night

TeeEye7
11-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Caught the Untouchables last night

My least favorite Kevin Costner movie. My favorite Costner movie:
Open Range. (Mostly because of Duvall, though).

Kidhuman
11-22-2007, 07:40 AM
My least favorite Kevin Costner movie. My favorite Costner movie:
Open Range. (Mostly because of Duvall, though).

You have to at least give props to Connery, DeNiro and Garcia. They were great in that flick

Blue2th
11-22-2007, 10:48 AM
I rented Live Free or Die Hard last night. Some really good non-stop action and over the top stunts.
A couple of the characters, including Kevin Smith, were action-figure collectors and geeks like alot of people we may know.
This is a definite renter. Think I'll wait till there is a boxed set with all of them included before I buy.

TeeEye7
11-22-2007, 12:15 PM
You have to at least give props to Connery, DeNiro and Garcia. They were great in that flick

No argument there, KH. I just think Costner gives a flat performance in the movie. I just don't see him as Elliott Ness. Garcia and Connery, Sean Connery were great.