PDA

View Full Version : What have you watched recently?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

JimJamBonds
02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
In the last week I've watched Good Luck Chuck, Superbad and The Boondock Saints. At one of the bars I work at they often play movies (no sound) so I've seen bits and pieces of Jack**s I and II the last couple of weekends.

Although this goes under TV I watched Bones Season I and loved it.

UKWildcat
02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Just got through watching Knocked Up. Absolutely love this movie. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Watched Beowulf today. Pretty good with very cool visuals.

JimJamBonds
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Waiting was on last night at one of the bars I work at... great choice! :)

Kidhuman
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I loev that movie. Bat-Wing

Banthaholic
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Saw 300 for the first time last night. Liked it so much caught a few bits as it was shown today. Defnt'ly action packed.

Kidhuman
03-03-2008, 04:29 AM
I watched See No Evil last night. Overall a pretty crappy movie, but it was a horror flick and made by the WWE. Worth a watch once when noting else to do, other than that dont bother, dry your hair instead.

UKWildcat
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
I just watched a craptacular movie called Rest Stop. I'm some what lenient when it comes to horror movies, but this one was just awful. Avoid it at all costs.

For some reason I put this movie on again last night, almost a year to the day too which is kind of odd. Anyways, it is still pretty bad. Nothing got better over the course of a year. I see where they actually made a sequel called Rest Stop: Don't Look Back, that is due out sometime this year. I will pass, for sure.

UKWildcat
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Just watched Silent Hill. I thought it was OK. A little off the video games(I never played 3) but pretty close ot the characters from all of them.

I have a feeling someones opinion has changed slightly upon multiple viewings of Silent Hill... :D ;)

DarthQuack
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I watched Grindhouse: Planet Terror last night. I thought it was pretty cool, had a good feel to it, like I was watching a real Grindhouse movie....I'd like to check out some more of these.

Kidhuman
03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I have a feeling someones opinion has changed slightly upon multiple viewings of Silent Hill... :D ;)

The more I watched it, the more I liked it. The end could have been better, but you get what you get. In this day and age of "horror" movies, this is a superb standout. The zombies where dead on from the game all the way down to the movements.

UKWildcat
03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I was actually going to get Silent Hill a while back on Blu-ray but I heard the transfer wasn't all that great. I'll probably scoop it up at some point, if I can get it really cheap. And I'll definitely grab it if Sony re-releases it and fixes some of the video issues and adds some special features (since the original 25 gb Blu-ray disc has not one special feature).

Watched The Shining [HD-DVD] last night. Outstanding video transfer, just awesome and a significant improvement over any past release. The movie itself is one of my favorites, and stacks up pretty well to the book (which I've read a couple of times). Jack Nicholson's performance is on point. Shelly Duvall is just fug. But I'm sure you all have seen this movie so I need not explain how awesome it is. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Watched Gone Baby Gone yesterday and absolutely loved it. A great directorial debut by Ben Affleck, I was very impressed. I was also impressed with Casey Affleck, he did a wonderful job in the lead role. I also thought Amy Ryan was great and was well deserved for the Oscar nomination she received. Ed Harris was awesome as always, and Morgan Freeman was, well, Morgan Freeman. Needless to say, this movie was very well acted! I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the movie before starting it, but it turned out to be excellent. The acting was top notch, as I mentioned, the direction was good, the story was great, there were plenty twists and turns, and the ending really makes you think. Glad I took the two hours out of my day to watch this film, worth every second. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

General_Grievous
03-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I watched Donnie Brasco. I thought it was a good movie. Great acting from Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. I'd say it's one of the better crime drama films out there.

2-1B
03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I watched Donnie Brasco. I thought it was a good movie. Great acting from Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. I'd say it's one of the better crime drama films out there.

Damn right it is ! "Fuh ged about it" :thumbsup:

I just finished up a double header of The Big Lebowski and Over the Top...doesn't get much better than that. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Watched The Shining [HD-DVD] last night. Outstanding video transfer, just awesome and a significant improvement over any past release. The movie itself is one of my favorites, and stacks up pretty well to the book (which I've read a couple of times). Jack Nicholson's performance is on point. Shelly Duvall is just fug. But I'm sure you all have seen this movie so I need not explain how awesome it is. :thumbsup:

You can't be serious; stands up well to the book?!!? Are you crazy?!?!? There is a reason why Stephen King has made public his hatred of the movie because it rapes the book to death. I've read the book several times and the movie is complete garbage compared to the book. The novel presented the gradual breakdown of the family whereas in Kubricks schlock, Nicholson is already crazy when the flick starts. I dunno, I could go on for pages about Kubricks changes and how his ego got the best of him, but i'll spare you. The TV mini series was FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR better, despite lacking kooky Jack Nicholson. :thumbsup:

as for movies i've watched:

"Resident Evil: Extinction"- fun flick, but the whole Alice turning into Jean Grey thing irritated me quite a bit. And the ending was downright silly. rating- **1/2 out of ****

"D-War: DRagon Wars"- really really awful. Although, there are a few cool action sequences amongst the incredibly bad CGI- Rating * out of ****
lastly, I watched "Gone Baby Gone" a few weeks back and really loved it. The performances were outstanding and the ending is quite interesting and is bound to get discussion going. I really loved the flick. Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
The only King adaptation worse than Kubrick's The Shining was the made-for-TV adaptation of The Shining. Though the made-for-TV adaptation of Salem's Lot came really close. Turning Father Callaghan into a somewhat villain, right when he was reintroduced in Dark Tower V? Huh?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
The only King adaptation worse than Kubrick's The Shining was the made-for-TV adaptation of The Shining. Though the made-for-TV adaptation of Salem's Lot came really close. Turning Father Callaghan into a somewhat villain, right when he was reintroduced in Dark Tower V? Huh?

How can the TV one be any worse? It actually followed the book to a T and presented King's story as it was supposed to be. Kubrick was an egomaniac, who is really overrated at best.

El Chuxter
03-09-2008, 08:09 PM
The ending totally undermined it. It was King trying to turn it into a story about family, which it wasn't. It worked up until that point.

UKWildcat
03-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Hmmm... maybe I need to re-read the book then. It has been about 8 or so years since I've last read it, but I thought (or so I thought) it did pretty well in comparison. Or maybe I am getting the comparisons mixed up with The Stand, and its made for TV movie/series, which I remember to be spot on as well. But I dunno... Gonna have to go back and re-think things, and re-read the book at some point too then. And just because Jack looks crazy, doesn't necessarily mean he is crazy; but it does make the character less believable and authentic when he "snaps", so to speak, so I can see your point. Maybe they should have re-cast that character in that regards, which I think King did want done, now that I think about it, but Nicholson still did a great job in my eyes.

General_Grievous
03-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Might I say that "Pet Sematary" is the worst film based on a Stephen King book solely because of the bad acting by everyone in that movie (with the exception of Herman Munster, of course)?

2-1B
03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Pet Semetary 2 was pretty good. I like Anthony Edwards. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
03-09-2008, 09:00 PM

I guess you never saw the Langoliers, and I hope if you didnt, you dont

2-1B
03-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Storm of the Century was one of the best King movies.

Love that flick. Colm Feore pwns all other actors in a King adaptation. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
My favorite is The Shawshank Redemption. Love The Green Mile. Also like Stand By Me, Misery, Children of the Corn and I enjoyed 1408.

El Chuxter
03-09-2008, 09:53 PM
The Stand was quite good, too, especially to be so condensed and produced for TV.

General_Grievous
03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I read that Bruce Campbell was originally slated to play the father in "Pet Sematary". That would have made the movie so much better.

Pet Semetary 2 was pretty good. I like Anthony Edwards. :thumbsup:

I remember watching that on HBO waaaaaaaaaay back in the day, and I remember liking it better than the first one because undead dogs are way scarier than undead cats. As forr the best Stephen King adaptation, for horror I'd have to say "Misery", and for drama, no question..."The Shawshank Redemption". However, "The Green Mile" and "Stand By Me" are both great movies. There's been a lot of good movies based on his horror novels. We can't forget "Carrie". And "It" is so awesomely cheesy.

UKWildcat
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
I haven't seen Pet Semetary 2 in forever. Thats the one with Furlong right? I don't remember it being any good...

Bruce Campbell makes any movie better. :thumbsup:

2-1B
03-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I haven't seen Pet Semetary 2 in forever. Thats the one with Furlong right? I don't remember it being any good...

Yep, Eddieward Furlong is in it. :thumbsup:

Bruce Campbell makes any movie better. :thumbsup:

Possibly...except for this POS. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145487/)

UKWildcat
03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I thought you were going to link to Spider-Man 3 Case, in which he happened to be the best part of the entire movie.

I like(d) Furlong. Outstanding as John Connor. Loved him in Brainscan too. American History X was awesome, can't say I've seen him in anything after that one though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
"Beowulf"- very cool visuals and scenery, but the story seems to fall flat. There shouldn't be any sympathy towards Grendel, but somehow, the film tried to generate it. There were also too many changes to the original material and while this usually doesn't bother me, it took away from certain elements of the film. Rating- ** out of ****

more to come! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
03-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Watched An American Haunting last night. I thought it was pretty freaky but I didnt understand WTF happened at the end. I know the father was doing things to the kid, but how was all that crap happening with everyone in the room? Was there a ghost or were we deceived by it? I dont know.

2-1B
03-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Working on Rocky 3 right now, going through the whole saga again for the umpteenth time. :thumbsup:

Jargo
03-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Without a paddle. Purely for Seth Green. Not a bad time killer movie. I laughed a fair bit. Burt Reynolds make-up was grotesque and 100% B-movie amateur but it kind of added to the weirdness of the character. Cheesey ending. kinda fizzled out. I'd watch it again though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Finally watched "30 Days of night" and really enjoyed it. It was a nice adaptation of the graphic (as Steve niles wrote the screenplay as well) and I enjoyed the nice take on the vampires. If you enjoy vampiric gore and scares, this one is for you! *** out of ****

Kidhuman
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Watched WaterWorld today. I dont care wat people say, its a good movie

UKWildcat
03-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Watched Bee Movie yesterday with my niece. I thought it was okay. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, from what I heard from critics, reviews, word of mouth, etc; I heard a lot of negative things about this movie, but I didn't think it was that bad.

UKWildcat
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
And Timothy Olyphant in Hitman, good lord. lol That's the 5th different level of sleaziness I've seen that guy pull off. :crazed: One of my favorite actors. :thumbsup:

I love Olyphant, but I didn't much care for his performance in Hitman as Agent 47. Some of his mannerisms, emotion (or the lack there of) and the way he delivered some of his lines were good and fairly accurate when compared to the video game. But taken out of context, his performance overall... was pretty bad. His acting was up and down in this film, one good scene, one bad scene, one good scene, one bad scene and etc. It definitely wasn't anywhere near his best or what he is capable of.

The movie itself wasn't all that great either. It got better as the film progressed, but I still felt empty afterwards. I did like that Nika chick (Olga something or other), she was pretty good. :lipsrsealed:

I don't know. I have played the first two Hitman games on PC, loved both (have Contracts but haven't started it yet) and I was really looking forward to this movie, and the fact that Olyphant playing Agent 47 got me really excited. But after watching the movie last night, I was mostly let down and disappointed. :sad:

2-1B
03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
The movie Hitman sucked and I have no idea about the games. TO is good even in bad movies. lol

I watched Major League and The Boondock Saints this last weekend for the xteenth time each...

Rocketboy
03-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I watched Major League...this last weekend for the xteenth time each...Ah, spring training time. Yeah, I guess its about time to give that one a watch again soon.

Rocketboy
03-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Just finished up I Am Legend. I dug it.
Even though they basically just took elements from the original story, they used them well to make a good story.

The infected were pretty well done. I liked the way they were semi-reimagined as vampire/zombies as opposed to your run-of-the-mill vampire in the novel.

I didn't have any problems with the CG (some of it looked CG, but I thought it was forgivable), but I did see on my tv, rather than a theater screen.

The only thing that bugged me was whole Fred/trap thing. It did seem that the infected set the entire thing up, IMO. Despite the shock of seeing Fred it would have been pretty stupid of Robert to walk right into his own trap. Besides, where Fred was placed was too convenient for the trap. I wish that had been explained somehow.

2-1B
03-22-2008, 02:41 AM
The Last Boy Scout.

JetsAndHeels
03-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Watched "I am Legend" yesterday. Very solid flick...at the beginning I got a little frustrated because I had no idea what was going on, but as it progressed and it revealed the backstory, I thought it was great.

DarthQuack
03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Had a headache the last few days....watched a lot of March Madness, that was probably the source of it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
"The Invasion"- very medicore remake of "invasion of the body snatchers" that tries to be a horror film and a political one. Neither of which work very well. Still, there are some exciting scenes, but they're all "been there, done that." Rating- ** out of ****

"My Kid Could Paint That"- very interesting doc about four year old post modern painter Marla Olmstead. The film examines her work and the claims for and against its realism. It's 3/4 a good film as it begins to falter when the director makes himself a primary character. Still, it's worth a watch if you enjoy art or postmodernism. Rating- *** out of ****

other than that, i'm truckin' along with my several month long marathon of "The X-Files." About half way done with season four! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
03-23-2008, 08:32 PM
"My Kid Could Paint That"- very interesting doc about four year old post modern painter Marla Olmstead. The film examines her work and the claims for and against its realism. It's 3/4 a good film as it begins to falter when the director makes himself a primary character. Still, it's worth a watch if you enjoy art or postmodernism. Rating- *** out of ****Been kinda wanting to see that for a while now, but hadn't heard much about it, good or bad.
Glad to hear its worth watching.

About the title, that "argument" always ticks me off (as does "Big deal. I could've done that.").
But the thing is - you/they didn't do it and based on you staetment, you don't understand anything about it, you uncultured swine! [/soapbox]

(that rant wasn't directed at you JMG. It was directed at the ignorant people who say things like that)

===============================

I watched Formula 51 for the first time in a while today. Not sure what it is, but I really like the movie. Every character is over the top and ridiculous. And Sam Jackson is a bad-*ss in a kilt.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-23-2008, 10:20 PM
I saw 21 a few days ago in a sneak preview thing. I didn't really expect to like it but it ended up being pretty good. One of my friends I saw it with nearly s*** himself when he realized he knew how to do the math they were using to count cards, so now he wants to go do it. :D But, if you were on the fence about it or something, I would suggest this one.

I watched December Boys today since my sister wanted to see Daniel Radcliffe, I guess. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. All the acting and such was good, it's just the story had no direction for what seemed like a very long time.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Been kinda wanting to see that for a while now, but hadn't heard much about it, good or bad.
Glad to hear its worth watching.

About the title, that "argument" always ticks me off (as does "Big deal. I could've done that.").
But the thing is - you/they didn't do it and based on you staetment, you don't understand anything about it, you uncultured swine! [/soapbox]

(that rant wasn't directed at you JMG. It was directed at the ignorant people who say things like that)

hahahah no worries. I know what you mean about people saying that. Hell, i'm a composition instructor and been teaching for a few years. It seems that EVERYBODY has their own two cents about creating a lesson plan, syllabus, and dealing with students, etc. And when I ask them how long they've been teaching, oddly enough, they've never taught before. lol Many folks think they can do something better than their neighbor; sad, but true.

The flick has something like a 94% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes, so it got a lot of good reviews. I just had issues with the director stepping in about 45 min into the flick. And some of the people that surround Marla aren't good people at all. If you see the flick, you'll see what i mean. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
03-24-2008, 11:11 PM
I watched Alien vs. Predator last night, sort of in preparation for the second one that comes out in a couple of weeks. This movie was meh, it certainly has its flaws. But the more I watch it I actually enjoy it, despite consistently laughing at several of the scenes.

I also watched Blood Diamond. Love this movie, fantastic. :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Finished Wrestlemania and Wrestlemania 2...in preparation of Wrestlemania XXIV this weekend.

UKWildcat
03-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Watched Enemy of the State the other day. Outstanding movie. Probably my favorite Will Smith movie. After that I watched I, Robot. I don't enjoy this one as much as EOTS, but it is still pretty good.

Last night I watched Tombstone. Excellent film!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-30-2008, 12:12 PM
"Bee Movie"- not as bad as it could have been, but it could have been better. There are a few solid laughs, but too many plain chuckle parts. If you have kids or enjoy Seinfeld's humor, you might like it. **1/2 out of ****

"Vantage Point"- the gimmick could have worked if the characters weren't cliches and underdeveloped. There are some great action scenes, but if you want action AND plot, check out the Bourne movies or the newest Bond film. ** out of ****

Banthaholic
03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Started rewatching the LOTR trilogy for the umteenth time this weekend. Hopefully we'll finish it before work tomorrow.

saw Blades of Glory the other night as well

TeeEye7
03-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Last night I watched Tombstone. Excellent film!

Absolutely! Much, much better than Costner's effort. And for all you huckleberries, Kilmer's Doc Holliday is classic! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
03-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Clerks X w/ extras.

Kidhuman
03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Watched Gone Baby Gone a few nights ago. great flick

DarthQuack
03-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Wrestlemania XXIV

2-1B
03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Bruce Springsteen In Concert: MTV UnPlugged

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
"Southland Tales"- This is Richard Kelly's follow up to "Donnie Darko" and it's a spawling, epic, apocalyptic mess of a film. And that's what it's supposed to be. I gotta say I loved this film very much. It's about 2 1/2 hours, so it might be too long for some, but it had more than enough imagery, symbolism and chaos to keep me interested. It's been getting mixed reviews, but I gotta say I loved it quite a bit. Rating- ***1/2 out of **** :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
04-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Watched Hot Fuzz for the first time yesterday; I know, its been out a while now and I am very late to the party. Anyways, I really enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as Shaun of the Dead, but I still thought it was very good and highly entertaining. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost make an amazing duo, and they need to keep working together in some fashion. They kind of remind me of Farley and Spade in Tommy Boy/Black Sheep, they have very good chemistry. So yeah, I thought this movie was great and I am glad I finally got around to watching it. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-05-2008, 05:20 PM
"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"- Very enjoyable film, but I dont' think it was nearly the life changing event that many said it was. I did enjoy it quite a bit though as it had some good music and dark humor in it. But c'mon, Depp didn't deserve the oscar nod for this one. STill, I enjoyed it. *** out of **** :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
04-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Just watched American Gangster. Really good flick. Liked it alot. Russel Crowe and Denzel were great in it.

UKWildcat
04-05-2008, 08:55 PM
My brother watched American Gangster today for the first time and he absolutely loved it, said it was awesome and was definitely snubbed in a few categories at the Academy Awards. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
04-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Watch LOTR: Two Towers last night on TNT.

Just reinforced my belief that Sean Astin was overlooked by his Hollywood colleagues when it came to their self-serving awards season.

General_Grievous
04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
But c'mon, Depp didn't deserve the oscar nod for this one.
While I think that Sweeney is nowhere near the greatest of Johnny's characters (for me that would be a tie between Jack Sparrow and Raoul Duke), I definitely think that Depp deserves an Oscar for something. I think the Academy recognizes that too, and nominating him was their way of saying "hang in there". But the way I see it, it didn't even matter who else was nominated because of Daniel Day-Lewis.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Just a heads up: the packaging for both versions of THERE WILL BE BLOOD are scratching the hell out of the DVD's as they're packed in cardboard sleeves. I assume paramount/miramax are getting lots of complaints, even one from myself. I'll let you folks know if anything happens.

I don't know whose brilliant idea it was though. Schmucks. :upset:

General_Grievous
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Just a heads up: the packaging for both versions of THERE WILL BE BLOOD are scratching the hell out of the DVD's as they're packed in cardboard sleeves. I assume paramount/miramax are getting lots of complaints, even one from myself. I'll let you folks know if anything happens.

I don't know whose brilliant idea it was though. Schmucks. :upset:
I saw those at Wal-Mart. It's like they were too cheap to fork out cash for proper DVD cases.

UKWildcat
04-12-2008, 10:20 AM
I watched Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (theatrical version) last night and thought it was great. Lots of funny moments and lines and some awesome cameos/appearances. Love some John C. Reilly, I thought he did great in the lead role. Also love some Jenna Fischer (who was looking damned fine btw) and Kristen Wiig. Definitely gonna check out the unrated version in the near future, but I believe I heard where it wasn't as good as the theatrical version?!?!?! Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie. Thought it was very good and funny. :thumbsup:

And I can't wait to try that horse gesture before making sexy time.... some time.

Kidhuman
04-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I watched 1408 and Silent Hill the other day.

Also watched I think I love my Wife. I tought it would be funny given Chris Rock and Steve Buchemi, but I couldnt have been more wrong. Horrid movie.

UKWildcat
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Other than watching movies for the comedy challenge, I've been watching a bunch of Deadliest Catch episodes and specials on Discovery HD. New season starts up tomorrow night which I will definitely be watching; great show! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
So I watched "Drillbit Taylor" online (sue me, I'm not going to pay for a movie that got bad reviews) for the comedy challenge. Surprisingly, I didn't think it was that bad, though I will say that it was like a PG-13 version of "Superbad", at least from the misfit kids angle. It had a few funny moments. Owen Wilson was pretty good in it. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.

DarthQuack
04-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Currently watching Rangers vs Devils....while listening to a YouTube clip of the Howard Stern show from last Friday when Artie blew up and quit the show :P

UKWildcat
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Where did Ji'dai go? Its been over two months since he last posted in this thread. I miss his wonderful write-ups. :(

I'm gonna take a break from the comedy challenge today and watch Alien vs. Predator: Requiem, even though I hear it is pretty bad. :neutral:

UKWildcat
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Watched AVP: Requiem the other day and thought it was pretty bad, as suspected. The movie was waaaay to dark, so it was damn near impossible to see a lot of the special effects throughout the action sequences (I wouldn't be surprised if this was done on purpose). No character development and a very weak plot, coupled with the darkness of the overall film, made for a very boring experience.

Tonight I watched Juno, and absolutely loved it. Great acting (and casting), good character development, good direction, great story, music, and etc. I thought Ellen Page was wonderful, and well deserved her Oscar nomination. Like I said, I loved this movie; thought it was fantastic!!! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
04-19-2008, 01:00 AM
I watched There Will Be Blood last night. Pretty good movie with an interesting twist at the end. Does anyone know how much of it is actually based on fact?

Kidhuman
04-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I watched I am Legend. It was a pretty solid movie, better than I tought it would be.

General_Grievous
04-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Last night I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. You guys have got to see this movie. It's absolutely hilarious. It's another one from the Apatow crew (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad) and it's got a brilliant cast in it. There's some great supporting roles, including Jonah Hill from "Superbad", Paul Rudd, and the page from "30 Rock". Definitely check this one out.

Kidhuman
04-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Watched 30 Days of night. I liked it alright. Thought the end was OK. It could have been netter. It was plenty gruesome tough, always a plus in my book

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Reservation Road- mediocre adapation of a mediocre book. Lacks any sort of drama or character development. The performances are decent though. ** out of ****

3:10 to Yuma (remake)- Very good flick until the last 15 minutes where things just turn silly and stupid. ** 1/2 out of ****

Forgetting Sarah Marshall- REALLY funny flick on all levels. The performances are great and anybody who has been in a dumped situation can relate. I loved this film. ***1/2 out of **** :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
04-20-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm watching NHL hoping for a Nashville upset for another Game 7!

Jargo
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
watched back to the future 1 on tv. it's not aged well. entertaining but also slightly grating. watching older movies just reminds me how naturalistic acting has become as a general rule. a lot of the acting in BTTF is quite hammy. lots of enthusiasm but gotta say it's not a flick i'd choose to watch over others. it was just on tv while i ate dinner.

Rocketboy
04-20-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm watching NHL hoping for a Nashville upset for another Game 7!Ha ha! That had to be embarrassing.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Got my replacement DVD's for THERE WILL BE BLOOD from Paramount today. Granted, it was the cardboard style packing, but they had some bubble wrap in there so the DVD case wouldn't move around and scratch it up. I was able to get the DVD's out with no problems and best of all, no scratches!

Hats off to Paramount for correcting this DVD packing issue so quickly. :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Ha ha! That had to be embarrassing.

No more embarassing than having Nashville take Detroit to six games :love:

Rocketboy
04-21-2008, 08:15 PM
No more embarassing than having Nashville take Detroit to six games :love:Nashville usually gives Detroit a good game/series when they play each other. But it doesn't matter now since Detroit is still alive. :D

Also, I predicted Detroit would take 'em in 6. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37750)

DarthQuack
04-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I had Detroit as well....didn't doubt them, just like the long series, and if the Flames and Capitals win their respective Game 7's tomorrow night, I'll have gotten all my first round picks right!

Jargo
04-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Universal soldier. I'd forgotten what a great B movie it is. oh and then there's Jean Claude Van Damme 'cooling off' which is nice...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-25-2008, 06:57 PM
watched "into the wild" this week and wasn't impressed. It was far too preachy, long, sympathetic, etc, etc, etc. Plus, its technical aspects weren't that great. Song good scenery, but the whole "emile hirsch walking, cut to large shot of nature cue eddie vedder song" every 25 minutes was pretty annoying. ** out of ****

Kidhuman
04-25-2008, 07:10 PM
I watched Hot Fuzz. It did not disappoint at all. Funny movie(not as funny as Shaun). Glad I stopped the program guide on this one

UKWildcat
04-25-2008, 11:27 PM
I watched Cloverfield tonight. I thought it was rather entertaining. Very short movie that went by really fast. Some intense and suspenseful scenes at times. I thought the monster was pretty cool. That said, after watching the movie I felt empty afterwards. I had heard mixed things about it, and that pretty much sums up my feelings of the movie; mixed. I enjoyed it on some levels, and was annoyed on others.

Looks like there is a sequel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179933/) in the works, which I will definitely be interested in seeing - for obvious reasons.

Rocketboy
04-26-2008, 12:45 AM
I also watched Cloverfield tonight. It was my third time viewing (second since Tuesday). With the exception of the first 20 minutes I still really like it. Fun stuff.

General_Grievous
04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
I saw Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. Every bit as funny as the first one.

bigbarada
04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I watched Expelled last week. I highly recommend everyone watch it, even if you don't agree with the theory of Intelligent Design.

El Chuxter
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I've seen ads for that, but they don't say much. What exactly is it about? Is it all about intelligent design, or is that only part of it?

2-1B
04-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Last night I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. You guys have got to see this movie. It's absolutely hilarious. It's another one from the Apatow crew (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad) and it's got a brilliant cast in it. There's some great supporting roles, including Jonah Hill from "Superbad", Paul Rudd, and the page from "30 Rock". Definitely check this one out.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall- REALLY funny flick on all levels. The performances are great and anybody who has been in a dumped situation can relate. I loved this film. ***1/2 out of **** :thumbsup:

I think they reached with this one, it had some funny stuff to it at times but overall it fell flat. Not as consistently funny as I expected it to be.

bigbarada
04-27-2008, 10:27 PM
I've seen ads for that, but they don't say much. What exactly is it about? Is it all about intelligent design, or is that only part of it?

It's a documentary about legitimate scientists who find themselves blacklisted for even suggesting that Intelligent Design is possible. They lose their jobs, their tenure, and in some cases are even forced to pay back grant money. It's made by Ben Stein and he never states whether he believes in ID or not, he is just making a case for Freedom of Speech and stating that ideas should not be banned just because they threaten the establishment.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-27-2008, 10:29 PM
"Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem"- bad acting, bad story, bad fight scenes, bad bad bad bad bad. * out of ****

bigbarada
04-27-2008, 10:33 PM
"Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem"- bad acting, bad story, bad fight scenes, bad bad bad bad bad. * out of ****

That was a horrible movie.

I just watched Juno yesterday and it was actually a pretty good movie. At first I was annoyed by the seemingly contrived dialogue, but who knows, maybe kids actually talk like that these days (it's been almost 17 years since high school for me).

preacher
04-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Epic movie.

What a piece of crap. Thank god it was on cable and I never rented it. And thank god I only subjected myself to 10 minutes. That said I still feel like I got ripped off.

DarthQuack
04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I saw Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. Every bit as funny as the first one.

This is good to hear, I've been hoping for a good review of it....hopefully will check it out early next week.

UKWildcat
05-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah, its good to hear that the new Harold and Kumar movie is just as good as the first.

I watched the Detroit Pistons finally close out the 76ers tonight. :thumbsup:

Jargo
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Dark breed. possibly the worst alien invasion movie of the last fifty years. Starring Jack Scalia, produced by Jack Scalia and presumably Jack Scalia was the acting coach too because this movie had zero charisma. utterly utterly abysmally bad.

Kidhuman
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Watched No Country For Old Men tonight. A great freakin flick. I loved it. Javier Barem is an animal.

UKWildcat
05-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I caught Back to the Future on HBO earlier today, kept thinking about Ben and Pete in Knocked Up. lol

Following BTTF, I watched One Missed Call. Terrible.

Kidhuman
05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Following BTTF, I watched One Missed Call. Terrible.

I saw it was on PPV and thought, it will be one missed movie. It looked like complete crap and a bite of the Ring.

DarthQuack
05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Let's see.....I watched my beloved Rangers bite the big one in OT today....:cry:

UKWildcat
05-08-2008, 11:30 PM
I watched a beautiful and rather moving special today, titled Expedition Alaska, that I had previously recorded on Discovery HD. It was basically about a group of environmentalists, survivalists, scientists and photographers (and the like), that split into groups and traveled to remote and untapped locations of Alaska to observe and test the wildlife and the environment and the effects that global warming has had on these elements. I was very much impressed with this special, not only the content, but it was beautifully shot and edited. It was also an eye-opening experience, as you can see first hand the adverse effects of global warming, and other factors (such as a spruce bark beetle that can wipe out entire forests). It was a very fast moving 2 hr special, that I did not want to end, so I can highly recommend it if you can view it one way or another. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Everything Is Illuminated.

This eccentric little movie is on HBO like every other month. As of last night I've finally seen it opening to closing credits. I usually pick this thing up at the same point of the movie when it comes on (about 20 minutes in).

This incongruous little Russian comedy/drama has really grown on me. And I like the fact that the role was a real departure for Frodo from the then-recent LOTR series.

Oh, and that soundtrack.............

Kidhuman
05-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Watched The Quiet last night. It was Alright, but it was midnight and nothing else on.

UKWildcat
05-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Watched a horror comedy called Severance that I picked up on dvd a while back. This movie actually turned out to be pretty good. Other than Laura Harris, I was unfamiliar with all of the other actors. Anyways, it was a pretty clever horror movie that poked fun of several cliches of the genre, making for a rather entertaining experience. Wasn't bad at all.

UKWildcat
05-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Watched 12 Monkeys earlier today for the first time in, oh, I don't know, 10+ years. So it felt like a first viewing. Anyways, I really enjoy(ed) this movie, thought it was great.

I also started watching Arrested Development. My brother got me all three seasons for Christmas last year and I have yet to watch the show. I've only looked at a few episodes in the past (never really paying attention), so I don't know much about it (characters, plots, etc); with exception to it being hilarious and getting canned. Anyways, so I watched the first 5 episodes today and thought it was great! Can't wait to watch more eps, may try to squeeze a couple more in before I goto sleep tonight.

El Chuxter
05-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Arrested Development is honestly the best TV show of the last decade. Well, tied for best with Deadwood. And both were prematurely cancelled after three seasons! What a coinkidink!

Jargo
05-14-2008, 07:46 AM
A TV movie adaptation of Terry Pratchett's 'The colour of magic' and 'The light fantastic'. starring Sean Astin, Tim Curry, Nigel Planer (Neil from The Young Ones) and loads of actors I've never seen before. Terrible terrible adaptation. Rincewind was woefully miscast and Sean Astin had about as much life to him as a piece of kelp. some nice design work but shoddy CGI. The pace was dreary and the action sequences dull.

vader121
05-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Watched "Sweeney Todd" last night. It actually wasn't horrible even though the singing was just stupid. I think if it didn't have the annoying singing in it I would have enjoyed it much more.

Recently saw "The Mist" and "No Country for Old Men". Enjoyed The Mist more even though the ending was horrible. Love the way you see poeple turn on each other in desperate times.
"No Country for Old Men" was good too but the ending was strange and loose-ended. Doesn't real wrap up the film well in my opinion.

Have "We Have the Night" too that I plan on watching tonight or tomorrow night.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Watched "Sweeney Todd" last night. It actually wasn't horrible even though the singing was just stupid. I think if it didn't have the annoying singing in it I would have enjoyed it much more.

Recently saw "The Mist" and "No Country for Old Men". Enjoyed The Mist more even though the ending was horrible. Love the way you see poeple turn on each other in desperate times.
"No Country for Old Men" was good too but the ending was strange and loose-ended. Doesn't real wrap up the film well in my opinion.

Have "We Have the Night" too that I plan on watching tonight or tomorrow night.

I loved THE MIST and the ending as well. My jaw dropped. And NO COUNTRY's ending is supposed to be pretty open and loose ended, it's part of the journey.

Arrested Development is honestly the best TV show of the last decade. Well, tied for best with Deadwood. And both were prematurely cancelled after three seasons! What a coinkidink!

AD is definitely one of the best shows of not only the last decade, but ever. :thumbsup:

my movies:

Iron Man- ***1/2 out of ****
Speed Racer- ** out of ****- too long, uneven and cluttered.
American Gangster- *** out of ****- predictable, formulaic, but the performances are really strong and make the film very enjoyable. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I forgot to mention in this thread that I also saw "Speed Racer" recently. I found it enjoyable, but as far as 2008 movies go, "Iron Man" is still tops.

DarthQuack
05-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I watched a great special on PBSHD the other night, The Adirondacks. Hopefully I wasn't the only one to catch it, but it was done very well, they went into detail about all four seasons and how people live/lived off the land and how the residents think about possible changes. Really interesting stuff.

General_Grievous
05-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I've been watching all three Pirates of the Caribbean films on Starz. They've been showing a 24 hour marathon. And I think either tonight or tomorrow I'll watch Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Kidhuman
05-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Watched Juno yesterday. Pretty good movie. I liked it. The humor reminded me of Napolean Dynamite a bit.

JimJamBonds
05-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Munich and The Departed. Or as I like to call it: everybody dies except for the New Kid.

UKWildcat
05-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I've slowly been chipping away at Arrested Development, on Disc 2 of Season One. I'm really enjoying the show, just don't have a whole lot of time to watch it, with the current lineup I am watching, the season finales, and the NBA playoffs. I should have more time in the coming weeks to finish up Season One, and more!

Last night I did catch Braveheart on HBO HD. This is one of my all time favorites, and it looked pretty damn good in HD too. :thumbsup:

Banthaholic
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Rocky Balboa

Kidhuman
05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Prince Caspian, see my posts in the section about it.

DarthQuack
05-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I've been on a Wrestlemania kick, watched IV, V, and VI the last few days.

UKWildcat
05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
No Country for Old Men a couple of times over the past few days.

jjreason
05-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I've been a bit movie-crazy lately, and it's all been at least pretty good! In the past 2 weeks I've seen Iron Man, Speed Racer, Charlie Wilson's War & Indy IV!!!

TeeEye7
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I've been a bit movie-crazy lately, and it's all been at least pretty good! In the past 2 weeks I've seen Iron Man, Speed Racer, Charlie Wilson's War & Indy IV!!!

I haven't set foot in a movie theater since X-men 3 :cry:.

jjreason
05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Well I almost don't blame you for not going back after that stinker. It took me quite awhile to build up the courage... but somehow.... lol

2-1B
05-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Take Care, Sir (an indie picture currently rockin' the underground)

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanomo Bay

Lucky Seven

Jargo
05-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Eating out. hmmmmm. so bad it's actually ironically funny.
Eating out 2 - Sloppy seconds. Even worse and not funny.
Independence day. all the way through for the first time ever. aside from the line about making 4th july a global holiday celebration I found the movie enjoyable. over long but enjoyable.
Barnyard. Again. frothy fluff for kids and male cows with udders! but quibbles about bovine gender aside it's one of the most richly colourful movies i've ever seen. it's a down to earth salt of the earth honest to goodness story with a universal theme and some very funny visual gags. nice soundtrack, always liked Tom Petty songs.

DarthQuack
05-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Watched LOST this morning....thought it was awesome.....currently have on the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee.

RUSHBOY
06-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Right now I'm watching Stephen King's The Mist in black and white!!
It's a very creepy movie !:thumbsup:

TeeEye7
06-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Rockin' Deuce II: Take Care, Sir. Every day; since it debut! :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
06-12-2008, 11:01 AM
No Country for Old Men, Man on Fire and The Big Lebowski all within the past few days.

TeeEye7
06-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Britian's Worst Teeth on BBC America. A Lanny/Lannette-fest! :laugh:

I was channel surfing; couldn't believe it; couldn't stop watching.....

Kidhuman
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Watched The Golden Compass. Very bad movie. The story was so chopp, it made it horrific to watch. It bounced around so much, no continuity at all.

UKWildcat
06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Watched Diary of the Dead earlier today, blah. See thread for details.

Right now I am watching the Boston Celtics completely dismantle The Lakers. :thumbsup:

Jargo
06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Over the weekend I watched Gilgamesh. anime thing that was ponderously slow and tortuous. lovely graphics styling but it just plodded along so laboriously i found it hard to follow the story. I sat through 12 episodes and think i figured out what the hell was going on just about. It tried too hard to be noirish when it only came across as pretencious nonsense.
though i'm now in need of seeing the rest of the damned story because i hate not knowing how things end.

El Chuxter
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Saw (in bits and pieces throughout the day, as they played it six or seven times on Ovation) The Triplets of Belleville finally. Very good movie, very nice animation, and some awesome music (mostly inspired by early 20th century French music). Quite a strange movie, though. I still am not entirely sure I understand the last scene, nor am I quite sure what the entire deal was with setting up that bizarre gambling shtick with kidnapped bikers (and what happened to the third one during the rescue). But it's definitely worth seeing.

jedibear
06-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Just watched "The Best Man" from '64 with Henry Fonda and Cliff Robertson.
Great election year movie....scary too when you see how not much has changed about presidential politics over the years...

DarkArtist
06-21-2008, 04:40 PM
recently watched the following:

Spiderman 3 - first time since seeing it in the theaters
Shrek the Third - not a bad flick but i think they should have stopped after 1
Hairspray - have to say i actually liked the movie

Kidhuman
06-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Watched Kickin it Old Skool last night. Decent movie with some real funny parts.

Blue2th
06-21-2008, 05:47 PM
A Scanner Darkly A friend bought this for me on DVD. Bizzaro definitely, but entertaining. Robert Downey jr's way of potraying an overly active mind works. He seems to have a nack for this. Woody Harrelson is hilarious.
This is the film first using live actors then animating over the live action. recently used in commercials.
I enjoyed it.

RUSHBOY
06-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Right now I'm watching Robocop on cable ! It still rocks after all these years !!
:bandit:

UKWildcat
06-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Robocop is the shiznit. As I mentioned back in January:

This little back and forth is the best:

Lt Hedgecock: Okay Miller! Don't hurt the mayor! We'll give you what you want!
Miller: First, don't f*ck with me. I'm a desperate man! And second, I want some fresh coffee. And third, I want a recount! And no matter how it turns out, I want my old job back!
Lt Hedgecock: Okay.
Miller: And I want a bigger office! And I want a new car! And I want the city to pay for it all!
Lt Hedgecock: What kind of car, Miller?
Miller: Something with reclining leather seats, that goes really fast, and gets really sh*tty gas mileage! Alright.
Lt Hedgecock: How about a 6000 SUX?
Miller: Yeah! Okay, sure! What about cruise control? Does it come with cruise control?
Lt Hedgecock: Hey, no problem, Miller. You let the mayor go, we'll even throw in a Blaupunkt!

lol :thumbsup:

Good stuff!!!

I've mainly been alternating between No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski the past week or so, watching Lebowski daily, or nightly.

And I'm very much looking forward to Burn After Reading. :D

JimJamBonds
06-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Currently watching the Mahna mahna skit by the Muppets.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Currently watching the lost season of TMNT...the Ninja Tribunal season.

DarthQuack
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Currently watching the Yankees game...avoid the sweep boys! Watched Oceans 13 at work this morning.....And most of the Euro 2008 games.....all the pool winners losing sucks.....but they've been great games.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Just got in a bit ago from GET SMART. I thought it was pretty lame, unoriginal and kind of a waste of time. The action is pretty decent, but there are very few laughs. Carell needs to pick scripts a bit better. But Anne Hathaway is quite nice to look at. :thumbsup: I'd give it about ** out of ****.

Kidhuman
06-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Just got in a bit ago from GET SMART. I thought it was pretty lame, unoriginal and kind of a waste of time. The action is pretty decent, but there are very few laughs. Carell needs to pick scripts a bit better. But Anne Hathaway is quite nice to look at. :thumbsup: I'd give it about ** out of ****.

Unoriginal? Gee, I wonder because the idea wasnt original to begin with

El Chuxter
06-23-2008, 08:15 AM
So, you're saying they missed it by... that... much?

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Right now I am watching Superman Returns on HBO.....the greatest movie ever made.

UKWildcat
06-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Right now I am watching Superman Returns on HBO.....the greatest movie ever made.
Now that's a bold statement.

;)

BTW - I really have no desire to see Get Smart. I like Steve Carell and all, but that movie just does not interest me. Looks like it could be pretty bad actually.

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Now that's a bold statement.

Nah, not bold at all. It's on HBO, just like I said. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-24-2008, 12:25 AM
So, you're saying they missed it by... that... much?

Yeah, that line is used a few times in the move. le sigh.

here is my official review from my blog.

"Get Smart"- The classic TV series hits the big screen in a film that has a few solid laughs, but overall, is pretty unfunny, unoriginal, and doesn't come up with anything new.

The film opens with Maxwell Smart (Steve Carell), an analyst for the CONTROL, a counter terrorist operation that operates in secret, yearning to be a field agent. He looks up to the much loved Agent 23 (Dwayne Johnson), who always get the job done and is adored by CONTROL. Sadly, it seems as though he won't ever be able to get out of the analyst role, where he's joined by his fellow geeks, Bruce (Masi Oka) and Lloyd (Nate Torrence). Yet, after CONTROL is attacked and the identities of secret agents have been revealed to KAOS, CONTROL's enemy, he is promoted to the role of Agent 86. He is joined by the fiesty uber hot Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) and the two team up to stop a terrorist named Siegfried (Terence Stamp), from detonating a slew of atomic bombs, one in the U.S. They'll also go up against Dalip (WWE wrestler Dalip Singh), a seemingly indestructible henchman that works for Siegfried.

Now, to me at least, this film falls flat on several levels, but i'll try to start with some positives first. There are a handful of solid laughs throughout the film. They involve a scene between Johnson and Carell that is ridiculously uncomfortable, a GREAT line delivered by the Chief of CONTROL, played by the always great Alan Arkin, a GREAT and surprising cameo that had me laughing, and the last memorable line is a Chuck NOrris joke that was pretty hysterical. Hathaway and Carell have some decent chemistry together and that makes for some humorous moments, but i found myself more or less just slightly grinning at most of the jokes instead of laughing. They are just very scattered and don't have any sense of purpose or originality to them. Director Peter Segal (Tommy Boy, The Longest Yard, etc) doesn't really bring anything new as he and screenwriters Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember rely on a lot of jokes that involve vomit, homosexuality, and stupidity. They are incredibly over done in dozens and dozens of other films and GET SMART hits that same brickwall. The film delivers solid laughs when it breaks away from the norm and brings in something new. And there is also some assinine tangent on random characters, such as the mom in the car with her son who is yelling as Carell flies by, or a group of golfers who "bet 20 bucks" that they can hit the car that Carell is driving through a driving range. They come out of nowhere and while i'm a fan of random humor, hell, I thrive on it, I could almost see a lot of the jokes coming a mile away.

There are a few solid action scenes though, despite feeling somewhat bland, but i will say that they were decent points of the film. One scene involving Carell, a car, a plane and a train are exciting to watch, but they fall on pure luck rather than skill as Maxwell Smart's ability to not get his *** killed grows old after a while. Very little of his success rides on skill and he seems to bumble along, like Jar Jar binks at the end of TPM. This idea goes against a lot of the film too as Smart supposedly had a high score on his Agent exam. Yet, Smart is constantly making poor moves and choices throughout the entire film. Why in the hell would we believe for one second that he could do the job when he's such a poor agent? I'm all for unbelievability, but c'mon here. It makes Smart come off as an incompetent putz rather than a skilled Agent. And the character of Dalip is such a rip off of Jaws, the classic character from the James Bond films. I was almost tempted to wonder if Oddjob and Nick Nack were going to show up as well. But this is only the tip of the unoriginal iceberg as all of cinema's cliches are used here: double agent, Agent 99 having a relationship with an agent that went sour, the bumbling idiot saving the day, etc. I just felt like I had seen this before and in all reality, I have.

The performances are decent. Carell is a gifted comic actor, but he's never really given any room to shine in the film. His lines tend to have the same mode of delivery and there isn't much to them. Hathaway is a bit better as she's allowed to do a bit more with her role. Johnson is enjoyale mainly because he's a large, *** kicking sort of guy, but the real gem here is Alan Arkin, who has some of the best moments in the film. Stamp is REALLY underused here as you get very little screentime of him, and he's the damn bad guy! You get no reason why he's so keen on bombing the U.S. or where he's coming from. And it took all of my willpower not to yell KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! everytime he was onscreen (if you get that reference, congrats!)

In the end, GET SMART suffers from too much action and not enough comedy. If the action were better, i'd write it off as enjoyable fluff, but the action here just isn't enough to recommend this movie. It relies too much on bland action and unfunny laughs. Save yourself some $$ and go see THE INCREDIBLE HULK instead. Rating- ** out of ****

El Chuxter
06-24-2008, 12:43 AM

Better than Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure?

RUSHBOY
06-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I think Speed Racer was awesome and I cant wait for the Blu Ray to come out !!
:bandit:

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Better than Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Why of course!! It's Superman bro. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Would you believe I saw a film perfect in its cinematography, script, and acting? How about a movie with witty dialogue and stunning action? Okay, how about Get Smart? It wasn't bad... I wasn't expecting The Naked Gun or Top Secret! so it met about what I thought I'd see. Anne Hathaway is hot by looks but not by acting, sad to say IMHO. There were some funny jokes and subtle hints (I chuckled while no one else in the theater reacted). Easily in the top three movies I've seen in theaters this year.

Okay. I've seen The Incredible Hulk, Indiana Jones atKotCS, and this one. Missed out on my top two by... you know.

UKWildcat
06-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I watched Tremors last night, on HD DVD. Up until recently, all I had was the non-anamorphic SE dvd, so I hardly ever watched it after getting a 16x9 TV and etc. I had read mixed reviews on the newest HD DVD video transfer, but I must say, I thought it looked great! A major improvement over the previous release I had, non-anamorphic aside. It may not look as good as some of the newer titles out there, but it looked pretty damn good for nearly a 20 year old title.

We all know how good the movie is, so I need not comment on that. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
06-26-2008, 05:35 AM
I watched First Sunday. Ice Cube and Tracy Morgan break into a church to rob it and comedy ensues with Katt Williams and Chi McBride. Worth a watch.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2008, 10:38 AM
With all the Indiana Jones stuff coming out, I popped in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. Apparently I'd only seen each once all the way through (catching parts when they end up on cable); now it's two times each. Nice job, Mr. Spielberg. :thumbsup:

TooWanBee
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Where is the thread discussing the new animated film coming out?

Blue2th
06-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Where is the thread discussing the new animated film coming out?
Since it's going to be a TV series, I found it in forum "Star Wars TV"

I rented "Diary of the Dead" last night. Great movie. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
06-27-2008, 03:15 PM
My general consensus is that Diary of the Dead is either a movie you love or hate. All of the reviews I have read were either people who loved it, thought it was fantastic, or people who hated it and thought it was dreadful. There doesn't seem to be very many people who fall in between. Anyways, I did not enjoy it and was severely disappointed. But as I mentioned before, I am going to rewatch it at some point, lower my expectations and try to forget that Romero had anything to do with the film. Then I might enjoy it a bit more, even though some of the scenes I know I won't, but it may help my overall opinion of the film. We shall see. I'll be sure to let you guys know. :neutral:

Blue2th
06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm a big fan of Zombie flicks, so most of them I like. Diary of the Dead was good, but not as good as Dawn of the Dead. Still ok though.

After buying all three Indy flicks at Target for $10 a piece I watched Raiders the other night. This flick still holds up well.

Just finished watching Temple of Doom. I must say this one is my least favorite of all four. I just doesn't hold up as well as Raiders.
While there are some good parts, it just seemed not as much effort and love was put into this one. It was almost too campy.
Nothing really spectacular going on here, and parts of this were even less believable than the recent film.
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a lot more exciting to me.

Going to watch Last Crusade in the next few days.

RUSHBOY
06-28-2008, 11:20 PM
With all the exitement of seeing the new Temple of Doom action figure pics I just had to watch the movie !! It was alot of fun !
I also saw an old movie from 1973- Idaho Transfer which is a cool little movie about time travel !

Kidhuman
06-28-2008, 11:33 PM
I just watched 10,000 BC. A good flick, reminded me a bit of Apacolypto somewhat.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-29-2008, 12:32 AM
I just watched 10,000 BC. A good flick, reminded me a bit of Apacolypto somewhat.

I know I have yet to see 10,000 BC, but really, is that a proper comparison? I just can't imagine that the guy who did THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW could make a film that is comparable to the near masterpiece that was APOCALYPTO.

Again, I stilll need to rent that flick.

as for myself: just about to start season 7 of THE X-FILES as I race to finish up the show before the new movie comes out in a month or so.

Kidhuman
06-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Watch the movie and you shall see what I mean. Now I didnt say fully, but somewhat.

Old Fossil
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Flawless with Michael Cain and Demi Moore. Awesome, awesome, awesome heist flick that is cool and clever to the Nth degree without forcing it at all. The casting is perfect for this movie set in London in 1960. I call it a "heist flick" but that misses the mark; it only barely lowers itself to that level (and I love heist flicks). Give it 10 minutes and you'll be hooked, if you like a good story, great acting, and total immersion in another time period.

Watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance from beginning to end for the first time last week, and was reminded why John Wayne is a legend.

JimJamBonds
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Troopers

JetsAndHeels
07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Ichi the killer.

RUSHBOY
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Right now I'm watching Star wars Episode 3 and the original Star wars on Spike tv !!

TeeEye7
07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Troopers

While eating donuts?

Blue2th
07-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Immortal Beloved

Story of Beethoven with Gary Oldman. I thought this was kind of a chick flick when it was first mentioned to me, but it turned out to be a very good, but very tragic movie.

I can relate to the thought of one little thing happens, one little misunderstanding, and the whole thing goes to hell.

JimJamBonds
07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
While eating donuts?

Nope, watched it at some friends house last night.

UKWildcat
07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Ichi the killer.

This has been on my "To Watch" list for forever. I have seen bits and pieces of it, but never in it's entirety. What did you think?

Last night I watched Vantage Point. I thought this movie was good, pretty suspenseful. There are a slew of good/known actors in it but the way the film was done doesn't give each one a lot of screen time, with exception to Quaid. This also limits the character development as well, not a big deal though. I found it to be quite entertaining.

DarthQuack
07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Wall-E last Friday....amazing film. Currently engulfed in an Iron Chef marathon VHS that I stumbled upon that I taped 6-7 years ago.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
This has been on my "To Watch" list for forever. I have seen bits and pieces of it, but never in it's entirety. What did you think?

It was pretty interesting, but honestly I had sort of a hard time figuring out what was going on through some of it. However, if you enjoy alot of blood and body parts everywhere (which I do), you should enjoy it.

RUSHBOY
07-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Just rented Rambo and 30 days of night !! Hopefully they will both be awesome and a lot of people say that Rambo is really good !

UKWildcat
07-04-2008, 03:16 AM
It was pretty interesting, but honestly I had sort of a hard time figuring out what was going on through some of it. However, if you enjoy alot of blood and body parts everywhere (which I do), you should enjoy it.

I hear ya. Keeping up with some of those Japanese (or Asian, or foreign) movies can be a chore at times, but I've enjoyed many of them, even if multiple viewings are in order. I prefer subtitles on most foreign films, so reading those and trying to follow what is happening on screen can definitely be confusing. First I'll watch with subtitles, then I'll usually take it down a second time (if necessary, or if I have the desire) with a dubbed track, if available. That way I can focus more on the film, as opposed to the audio.

I am still looking forward to taking down Ichi in it's entirety though. I was going to buy the newest DVD release several months ago, but I have heard of a lot of people having trouble with the packaging.

BTW - You know I love some blood and body parts!!! :p

Just rented Rambo and 30 days of night !! Hopefully they will both be awesome and a lot of people say that Rambo is really good !

Couldn't tell you about Rambo, but I really enjoyed 30 Days of Night. Definitely one of the better horror movies to come out as of late. There are certain aspects I did not care for/like with the film, but overall, I enjoyed it. I know I posted a review a while back in this thread, so feel free to search for it. Since that review though, I have watched the movie several more times and I tend to enjoy it more with each viewing. Not bad at all.

BTW - Rambo is on queue... not a hater, I'm very much looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
07-04-2008, 03:30 AM
I watched Private Parts this afternoon.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I watched Private Parts this afternoon.Thank you for capitalizing and italicizing that title. :eek:

While it was tough to find it in a theater, I finally saw Iron Man yesterday. I rank it as the second-best super hero movie I've ever seen: good mix of origin story (and pretty true to the original, with an updated locale) with characterization and action. Time for a list (gotta dig up the Ten Ten of Everything thread (yes, I typed in the wrong title; "Top Ten" was correct, but I never got my No Prize :p )...

Interesting, that except for Get Smart (which was seen in Reno, NV) every movie I've seen this year has begun with the letter 'I' (IM, Incredible Hulk, and Indiana Jones atKotCS). Let me rephrase that: every movie I've seen in CA this year has begun with the letter 'I.'

UKWildcat
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I watched a couple of movies yesterday, both of which I had never seen.

First up was The Eye, the American remake. This movie was just okay. Nothing special. Not as good as the original.

After that, I watched Drillbit Taylor. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this movie, but I found it to be better than I was anticipating. There were several funny parts. I enjoyed it, for the most part.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I, too, watched a couple rentals this weekend that I had yet to see: :Pirate:s of the Carribean 3 and Enchanted. Both were okay.

UKWildcat
07-07-2008, 11:34 AM
I haven't seen either of those Bel-Cam. I've heard Pirates 3 wasn't all that great though. I'll still watch it at some point since I've seen the other 2. I watched the first 10 or so minutes of Enchanted with my nieces; it looked interesting, that's for sure.

Last night I watched Be Kind Rewind. I really enjoyed this movie. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I haven't seen either of those Bel-Cam. I've heard Pirates 3 wasn't all that great though. I'll still watch it at some point since I've seen the other 2. I watched the first 10 or so minutes of Enchanted with my nieces; it looked interesting, that's for sure.

Last night I watched Be Kind Rewind. I really enjoyed this movie. :thumbsup:To me, PotC3 wasn't as "fun" as the first one, but it was a decent film. Enchanted was pretty well scripted and funny in parts. Interestingly, BKR would've been my next choice to rent.

DarthQuack
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Watched the new Futurama movie, thought it was ok, not great....hope the next one is a little better!

bigbarada
07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Picked up Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 on DVD yesterday and watched those. I forgot how much I liked those movies.:)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Picked up Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 on DVD yesterday and watched those. I forgot how much I liked those movies.:)

Good pick ups, BB. I'm still awaiting this rumoured WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR edition of KB that has the uncut/color version of the House of Leaves fight and merges the films into one. Lord knows when it will come out, if it ever does....effin' QT.

Caught HANCOCK over the weekend. Very solid film for the first hour and then it takes a really odd and unexpected twist, turning the film faaaaaaaaar darker and different. I didn't like this part that much as it didn't seem to mesh with the first part of the film at all. However, fans of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT will chuckle knowing that there are at LEAST three things in the film that involve Jason Bateman that are AD related in some odd way. But yeah, good start, iffy finish. I'd give it **1/2 out of ****.

bigbarada
07-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Good pick ups, BB. I'm still awaiting this rumoured WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR edition of KB that has the uncut/color version of the House of Leaves fight and merges the films into one. Lord knows when it will come out, if it ever does....effin' QT.

I assume some kind of boxed set will come out someday, but these were only $9 each, so I got both movies for less than what a new release would cost me. If a deluxe version of the films comes out later, then I'll probably still buy it and give these versions to a friend. The movies are good enough to warrant multiple purchases.:yes:

JetsAndHeels
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
One of my favorite sci-fi flicks from the 90's, "Starship Troopers." I decided to break out the dvd and give it a watch because I hadn't in quite a while. Later I went and looked through some stuff and found 5 of the figures, still carded, I had bought at TRU when the movie came out. :)

Still one of my favorites. Too bad the direct to dvd sequel sucked so bad.

Kidhuman
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Jumper - I thought it was a pretty decent Flick. I liked it. Alot better acting from Hayden in this one.

Blue2th
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Rented "Day of the Dead" from the Redbox for a dollar, because I like zombie flicks. This one kinda sucked. At least they had some decent head splatter shots, decapitations, and gore, but that's about it. Still nothing has come close to "Dawn of the Dead" yet. This flick comes in dead last.

Saw "Point of View" the other night also from the Redbox. Lot's of suspense. An interesting way to do a movie from each character's point of view. I really enjoyed it, not a boring moment, and it kept you guessing till near the end.

bigbarada
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I rented 10,000 BC today and watched it. It was alright, kind of boring for the most part. The effects were good, but nothing really felt inspired. It essentially had the same story as Apocalypto, just not nearly as well done.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Rented "Day of the Dead" from the Redbox for a dollar, because I like zombie flicks. This one kinda sucked. At least they had some decent head splatter shots, decapitations, and gore, but that's about it. Still nothing has come close to "Dawn of the Dead" yet. This flick comes in dead last.

Saw "Point of View" the other night also from the Redbox. Lot's of suspense. An interesting way to do a movie from each character's point of view. I really enjoyed it, not a boring moment, and it kept you guessing till near the end.

That DOTD looked TERRIBLE. Romero needs to protect his properties.

This flick comes in dead last.

heheheh good one. :thumbsup:

And do you mean "Vantage Point?"

Blue2th
07-10-2008, 12:35 AM
And do you mean "Vantage Point?"

Thanks, yeah, that's what I meant...doh :cross-eye

So many movies, so many titles..er I was close, or not even for hand grenades or horse shoes.

Kidhuman
07-10-2008, 05:38 AM
I rented 10,000 BC today and watched it. It was alright, kind of boring for the most part. The effects were good, but nothing really felt inspired. It essentially had the same story as Apocalypto, just not nearly as well done.

I said the same thing, IF Apocalypto wasnt made, this would have been pretty good.

Lord Malakite
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I just watched The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. It was an excellent documentary if I do say so myself. It follows the exploits of challenger Steve Wiebe as he attempts to claim the Twin Galaxies "high score" record for Donkey Kong (the arcade version) away from current champion Billy Mitchell.

For those not in the know, Twin Galaxies is the video game equivalent of the Guiness Book of World Records. And if the name Billy Mitchell sounds familiar, its probably because of his world record of being the first person (though at least 4 others have done it since) to obtain a "perfect score" on Pac-Man (the arcade version).

UKWildcat
07-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I watched Alpha Dog the other night; first viewing. I thought it was awesome. I was really surprised at how good a movie it turned out to be, and with how much I ended up liking it. The acting, for a bunch of relatively young actors, wasn't bad at all. Justin Timberlake did a decent job, I was actually a bit surprised by his performance. Emile Hirsch was fantastic as Johnny Truelove. Ben Foster is just a monster, and he has been one of my favorites for a while now; he did a really good job as well. Got to see Olivia Wilde's little boobies, which was an added bonus. Several other good performances too. The direction was well done (and I still can't get over the fact that this was done by the guy whose last movie was The Notebook). Very good story, which was inspired by true events, and even though I knew how the movie was going to end (for the most part) the movie was still very entertaining and engaging. Yeah, I really enjoyed this movie. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
07-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I watched Untraceable. The movie is about a guy killing people live on the net, and the more people that view, the quicker they die. Pretty good thriller, some bad acting, but oerall worth checking out.

JetsAndHeels
07-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Saw Hellboy II last night. Good film with some superb visual effects and great fight scenes. I thought the first one was a little bit better, but still I was glad I went to see it on the big screen.

JimJamBonds
07-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Watched Christmas Vacation last night.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Saw Hellboy II last night. Good film with some superb visual effects and great fight scenes. I thought the first one was a little bit better, but still I was glad I went to see it on the big screen.

I saw this over the weekend as well and I also enjoyed it very much. As for is it better than the first? I can't say, they're both really great films. I'd give it a solid *** out of ****. :thumbsup:

back to my X-FILES marathon. Need to finish the last 6 episodes of season 7 and then all of 8 and 9 before next friday. eeeeeeek!! :p

RUSHBOY
07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Did anyone see the movie Meet Dave with Eddie Murphy ?
I stayed very far away from this one !:bandit:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Did anyone see the movie Meet Dave with Eddie Murphy ?:fleep fleep:

Batman Begins was on (surprise! ) last night. I watched it.

DarthQuack
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Watched Christmas Vacation last night.

I could watch this once a week...great flick.

I just finished the first season of HBO's Tell Me You Love Me. Lots of sex which is fun, especially when I get to see LOST's Penny getting down and dirty. :) Good show though, I enjoy it a lot.

JimJamBonds
07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
The Onion Movie, it was ok at best.

Jargo
07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Watched Grek Araki's 'Mysterious skin' last night. very creepy movie but at the same time beautiful and moving. reminded me of a lot of the broken people I've met in my life. and I'm not ashamed to say I cried at the end. Joseph Gordon Levitt turns in an amazing performance and the ensemble handles the subject matter with care and delicacy while at the same time not flinching from it.
i can see that some of you guys would find it uncomfortable viewing at points but i think because it's such a well made indie movie you should give it it watch. if you haven't already seen it.

UKWildcat
07-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I watched The Simpsons Movie today, for only the second time. I really enjoyed it, more so than the first viewing.

DarthQuack
07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Finished the first volume of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 2002. I enjoyed it a lot, very good series if you're a long time fan or just getting into the series for the first time.

Kidhuman
07-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Watched Serenity the other day. What a great feakin movie. It wrapped up Firefly great. It sucked that Wash and Preacher died though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Watched Grek Araki's 'Mysterious skin' last night. very creepy movie but at the same time beautiful and moving. reminded me of a lot of the broken people I've met in my life. and I'm not ashamed to say I cried at the end. Joseph Gordon Levitt turns in an amazing performance and the ensemble handles the subject matter with care and delicacy while at the same time not flinching from it.
i can see that some of you guys would find it uncomfortable viewing at points but i think because it's such a well made indie movie you should give it it watch. if you haven't already seen it.

I caught that flick a while back and also really enjoyed it; well, not really "enjoy" it if you read me, but it was still a very solid, disturbing and moving film. I especially loved Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie's GORGEOUS score; plus, they used the song, "Samskeyti" by Sigur Ros very VERY well for the film's conclusion. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Transformers.

Yep. Finally saw it. Borrowed the DVD from a friend at work. Liked it. I sense Tycho smiling right about now.......;).

UKWildcat
07-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I watched The Mist yesterday. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it. I had heard mixed things with regards to the ending, but I liked it. I thought it was well done. Not everything can be candy canes and gum drops. The CGI at times was a little rough, but not bad. The only thing I really did not like, was Mrs. Carmody and the religious aspect of it; but that played out nicely. :D

Not a bad addition to Frank Darabont's repertoire, which includes The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-30-2008, 12:46 PM
I watched The Mist yesterday. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it. I had heard mixed things with regards to the ending, but I liked it. I thought it was well done. Not everything can be candy canes and gum drops. The CGI at times was a little rough, but not bad. The only thing I really did not like, was Mrs. Carmody and the religious aspect of it; but that played out nicely. :D

Not a bad addition to Frank Darabont's repertoire, which includes The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption. :thumbsup:

I thought the CGI was rough at times too, but overall, the film was incredible. I actually enjoyed the religious aspect of it though. And I don't think it was even speaking to religious folks, but just having an extreme idea about something that you refuse to change. The ending knocked me on my a-- though.

And I do wish that Darabont was doing King's adaptation of CELL, as he has a perfect track record with King related films, but no Eli "Hack" Roth got his grubby mitts on it. :upset:

General_Grievous
07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I want to see "The Mist", but I'm a bit reluctant because I had the ending spoiled for me. The same thing also happened with "Million Dollar Baby".

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
I want to see "The Mist", but I'm a bit reluctant because I had the ending spoiled for me. The same thing also happened with "Million Dollar Baby".TM and MDB had the same ending? :confused: :D

UKWildcat
07-30-2008, 11:22 PM
I thought the CGI was rough at times too, but overall, the film was incredible. I actually enjoyed the religious aspect of it though. And I don't think it was even speaking to religious folks, but just having an extreme idea about something that you refuse to change. The ending knocked me on my a-- though.

And I do wish that Darabont was doing King's adaptation of CELL, as he has a perfect track record with King related films, but no Eli "Hack" Roth got his grubby mitts on it. :upset:

The more I've thought about the movie, the more I've come to like it too. Which is great. I really enjoyed it with my first viewing, but I've been thinking about it ever since and have been appreciating it even more. Only good movies will do that. :thumbsup:

I can certainly understand the religious aspects to the film, I was just annoyed by them. It definitely added to the movie, no doubt, but I was just so agitated, I wanted to stab somebody. ;) Actually, a lot of the religious parts reminded me somewhat of the Children of the Corn. :D

I am unfamiliar with CELL, but I don't have high expectations if Roth is directing. :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
The more I've thought about the movie, the more I've come to like it too. Which is great. I really enjoyed it with my first viewing, but I've been thinking about it ever since and have been appreciating it even more. Only good movies will do that. :thumbsup:

I can certainly understand the religious aspects to the film, I was just annoyed by them. It definitely added to the movie, no doubt, but I was just so agitated, I wanted to stab somebody. ;) Actually, a lot of the religious parts reminded me somewhat of the Children of the Corn. :D

I am unfamiliar with CELL, but I don't have high expectations if Roth is directing. :(

If you haven't yet, I recommend reading CELL. It's pretty solid, exciting and pretty violent, even for King!!! Some of the scenery and shots of the film could be stunning, but Roth isn't concerned about mood and atmosphere as he's mainly in it for the splatter. Last I checked, the film is on hold while he writes/creates another non suspenseful gore infested crapfest.

JimJamBonds
08-02-2008, 05:28 PM
MST3K The Movie.

UKWildcat
08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I watched Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay last night. I thought it was okay/good. I didn't like it as much as the first one, but it was a worthy sequel. Not bad.

El Chuxter
08-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Bridge to Terabithia. Despite the ads looking like it deviated massively from the book, it didn't. Not a perfect movie (I could've done without the CG garbage), but a good one nonetheless. Mrs Chux, who never read the book, cried like a widdle baby.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Bridge to Terabithia. ... Mrs Chux, who never read the book, cried like a widdle baby.Not true. Everyone has read it, whether they knew it or not. When you went through the lunch line, the wrappers for burritos/crusts on pizza slices/buns for burgers had the entire story cooked into them. All our innards have read them, frequently. Ever notice that heartburn only existed after 1977, when the novel was published? :D

Kidhuman
08-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Watched Drillbit Taylor. It was actually pretty good. I didnt kow it was by the same guys who did Superbad. Also watched Hot Fuzz tonight which is always funny

DarkArtist
08-09-2008, 03:59 PM
well i recently joined a gym called Retro Fitness (not sure if they are nationwide yet) but this gym boasts an 80 inch projection screen in it's own movie theater and plays movies to help pass the time when you work it out. it's really neat and definately helps. so far i have watched the following:

Never Back Down - some kick boxing/fight club flick from 2007
Star Wars: Episode 1 - we all know what that is about
Batman - Michael Keaton/Jack Nicolson awesome flick
Ace of Hearts - some K-9 movie with Dean Cain
The Others - Horror Flick with Nicole Kidman
One Missed Phone Call - another Horror Flick
Armaggedon - can't get enough of this movie
Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End

i started doing only a 30 minute workout so i only see a little of the movies but i'll say this for those 30 minutes it really feels like 10-15 when you get engrossed in the film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-09-2008, 04:59 PM
saw the new Mummy movie; not very good at all. It just feels tedious and boring and it has no real redeeming value. * out of ****

X-Files: I want to Believe- while it doesn't have the amount of action in the expected summer film, I still enjoyed the film for what it was, the moral choices it presents and the interaction between Mulder and Scully. Overall, it's a pretty solid thriller. *** out of ****

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Little Miss Sunshine....sad I missed this and had to wait until DVD, but well worth the wait!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-16-2008, 12:57 AM
TROPIC THUNDER- over the top, offensive, crude and incredibly funny. I loved this flick quite a bit as most of hte performances were solid and it's a great send up of not only war films, but some actors and the hollywood system. Great flick! *** out of **** :thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-16-2008, 05:57 PM
While going to the Red Box for movies I missed, I finally rented Rambo
Damn! I haven't seen that much gore for a while.
I enjoyed it though it could have been longer.

I rented "The Planet" and "The Ruins" so I'll be checking them out tonight.

UKWildcat
08-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I've been trying to watch Zodiac the past few nights but I keep falling asleep during it. :mad: Its not that it is boring, I have just been very busy and tired lately and can't stay up to watch it. Hopefully I'll finish it within the next week, as it is a pretty good movie thus far.

UKWildcat
08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Finally got to finish Zodiac last night. Thought it was fantastic! :thumbsup:

ncbarrett
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
I watched AOTC last week to prepare myself for The Clone Wars.

Other than that, mostly the Olympics.

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm a nerd for the "melodramas" of the Olympics.....and my kids and I watched Episodes 4-6 this weekend.

I would like to be renting old episodes of the SuperFriends, GI Joe, and Transformers.

Blue2th
08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, "The Ruins" and even more so "The Planet" sucked big time. At least I only paid a dollar each. "Rambo" more than made up for the sucky ones.

DarkArtist
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
ok so far so good. keeping up with the whole going to the gym (lost some weight 10 lbs so it seems to be working) but in the gym's theater were:

Little Miss Sunshine - not a favorite - kinda of depressing
The Notebook - oh my god i want the 25 minutes of my life back from this flick - horrible and stupid
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - classic
Wild Hogs - funny movie
Rush Hour - funny movie - first time i sat down and watched it (or rode on the bike and watched it actually)
Attack of the Clones - Star Wars - gotta love it

Ando
08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Reruns of Cheers on TV Land. The series just restarted so my wife and I can watch it in sequence (for the most part).

We saw Tropic Thunder last night and LAUGHED the WHOLE WAY THROUGH! Hilarious!

And of course new episodes of The Venture Bros. I am really enjoying the direction this season is going.

JetsAndHeels
08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Watched "Doomsday" the other night. Good flick, and in some spots I felt like I was watching a different movie....it had a few storylines going at once.

DarthQuack
08-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Just mostly been watching my character run around the streets of Liberty City while playing multi-player on GTA4.

Blue2th
08-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I've been watching "Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles" on Fox. They've been showing it every night, so I've been catching up on season one.
I must say I like it.

TeeEye7
08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm gonna watch the insides of my eyelids right now............:zzz:

Ando
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
I've been watching "Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles" on Fox. They've been showing it every night, so I've been catching up on season one.
I must say I like it.

My wife and I like that show, too. I'm looking forward to the next season and the new movie with Christian Bale.

Blue2th
08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
My wife and I like that show, too. I'm looking forward to the next season and the new movie with Christian Bale.

Yeah they are filming some of the movie here in Albuquerque.
They are going to use the old abandoned rail yards downtown:

General_Grievous
08-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I watched Tropic Thunder and Clone Wars in the past week. I'll save my Clone Wars review for that particular thread, but I absolutely loved Tropic Thunder. It even inspired a new avvy and sig.

Kidhuman
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I watched the Clone Wars movie last night. I thought it was good

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-23-2008, 10:25 PM
I watched Tropic Thunder and Clone Wars in the past week. I'll save my Clone Wars review for that particular thread, but I absolutely loved Tropic Thunder. It even inspired a new avvy and sig.

I think my favorite Downey, Jr. moment was when he was talkin' about crawfish, greens and so forth which was followed by his talk about the 400 years of oppression. Oh man, I lost it. Such a GREAT movie!!

Saw PINEAPPLE EXPRESS a few nights ago; pretty solid flick with lots of laughs and more action then I expected. A few parts needed trimming though and I only find "high humor" funny to an extent, but it had more than enough laughs to enjoy and a GREAT Star Wars reference.

Right now i'm in the middle of the first season of FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and it's quite possibly the funniest thing on TV since ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. :thumbsup:

sith_killer_99
08-23-2008, 10:55 PM
I watched Clone Wars with my daughter opening weekend.

We also went to see Wall*E over the 4th of July weekend.

Aside from that, mostly DVD's/blu-rays:

Resident Evil: Extinction
The Walker
Starship Trooper 3
Meet the Spartans
Otis

Some others, I forget.

21 was pretty good, I like movies with a twist.:D

UKWildcat
08-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Right now i'm in the middle of the first season of FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and it's quite possibly the funniest thing on TV since ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. :thumbsup:

Flight of the Conchords is pure genius. Easily one of my favorite shows. I got their latest CD shortly after it was released, and it is absolutely fantastic as well (lots of songs that were featured throughout the first season). Can't wait for its return next year.

Ando
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
My wife and I started AD again last night. We got through 1 and 1/2 discs of season 1.

I sure miss that show...