PDA

View Full Version : New vehicles: Sith Infiltrator and V-Wing!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/The_411_New_Vehicles_99037.asp

If these pan out, that would be so unbelievably awesome. Finally, a damn Sith Infiltrator!!!!!

mtriv73
06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
I can't wait to see the molds of these. Especially the V-wing.

Banthaholic
06-23-2006, 02:06 PM
YES!!!!

Two vehicles I really want. Hasbro has been on a roll of late.

Dark Marble
06-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I was really happy to hear about these. All things sith are usually welcome in my collection so I say bring them on!!! Way to go Hasbro!!

jedi master sal
06-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes indeed, if the report is true and not some cruel joke, then this is great news.

No doubt they will not be in scale, but hell, I'm just happy it will be made (again if the report is true).

tagmac
06-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Personally, I think we should get the Cloud Car first. At least these are new vwhicles, and not more repaints.

Slicker
06-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Personally, I think we should get the Cloud Car first. I'm in complete agreeance. They already have the damn mold for cryin' out loud.

jjreason
06-23-2006, 04:05 PM
It's a nice report, but not very convincing. I'm not usually hopeful unless there's some kind of link to a Hasbro rep's answer about the toy - and this ain't got it.

I'd like a Cloud Car too - but have a look for Vintys on ebay - they're really not that expensive.

Devo
06-23-2006, 05:14 PM
It seems entirely plausible to me - Hasbro did say they're putting out new vehicles in the starfighter line.

The Sith infiltrator is going to be tiny though. Expected this is, but no less unfortunate for it.

I wonder does this improve the chances of getting Dookus solar sailor.

DarthBrandon
06-23-2006, 06:43 PM
It's a nice report, but not very convincing. I'm not usually hopeful unless there's some kind of link to a Hasbro rep's answer about the toy - and this ain't got it.

I'd like a Cloud Car too - but have a look for Vintys on ebay - they're really not that expensive.

Hope this pans out, but I won't hold my breath. I hope the AT-TE makes it into the mix sooner than later if you know what I mean, the Sith Infiltrator is one cool a** vehicle & should have been made way before the Royal Starship IMHO.

The best place to get a Cloud Car is on E-bay right now, plus how much better would it be a second time around anyways, just more detailed paint apps if you ask me.

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm surprised everyone's so excited about the V-Wing, it being EU and all. . . ?

DarkArtist
06-23-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm all over these if they are real. Afterall, the AT-TE April Fool's joke sounded real enough.

Jargo
06-23-2006, 07:20 PM
I'll wait for pictures. Though the V-wing doesn't interest me anyway but the infiltrator if true could be awesome or suck mightily. hoping for awesome. and a reason to start buying hasbro toys again.

Reefer Shark
06-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I think these two sound very possible in light of Hasbro's concentration on "starfighters" in their replies to vehicle questions. I would be totally happy if it's true, benn wanting these vehicles for a while.

the Sith Infiltrator is one cool a** vehicle & should have been made way before the Royal Starship IMHO.

Speaking of the Royal Starship, I think the Infiltrator would be perfect if it was that size. ..but I'm sure it will be totally scaled down, mabye something like the scale they did with the Transformers Infiltrator/Maul.

figrin bran
06-23-2006, 10:07 PM
albeit for a split second but the V-Wing does appear in the movie, Chuxter. somewhere towards the very end. i'll try to find exactly where

Banthaholic
06-23-2006, 10:20 PM
albeit for a split second but the V-Wing does appear in the movie, Chuxter. somewhere towards the very end. i'll try to find exactly where
I thought two of them fly wing for Palpatines shuttle while carrying charred Vader back to Coruscant

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh, DUH!! I was thinking E-Wing. (I suppose I could say ROTS is EU to me, but I doubt that'll hold water. So I'll just admit my mistake.)

Anyway, that certainly calls for a truly bad Bad Song Lyric of Shame:

"Caribbean Queen, now we're sharing the same dream
And our hearts still something something
No more love on the run.

Kidhuman
06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Good choice for a BSLOS

Again, excitement upon official confirmation.

JediTricks
06-24-2006, 04:13 PM
No, you *were* thinking of a V-wing, there was a totally different V-wing in the EU long before the prequels ship came out, it's even in SW:Rogue Squadron for N64.

The Sith Infiltrator doesn't do anything in the film but decloak and land, and to be even remotely in scale with Maul it'd have to be bigger than the Queen's Royal Starship.

TheDarthVader
06-24-2006, 11:24 PM
V-wing I will pass

SI I will probably pass unless it impresses me

Blue2th
06-25-2006, 12:24 AM
No, you *were* thinking of a V-wing, there was a totally different V-wing in the EU long before the prequels ship came out, it's even in SW:Rogue Squadron for N64.

That would be an odd choice for Hasbro. That was my favorite ship in the N64 game. More armour and lots of firepower. They probably will make the ROTS V-wing which doesn't look as cool to me.

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 01:12 AM

Oh yeah! That's the souped-up airspeeder that first saw action in the pooptastic (but beautifully illustrated) Dark Empire series, right?

See, I'm not crazy after all. :crazed:

Bosskman
06-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I'd love them to make these vehicles. It would be crescent fresh.

Here is my list of vehicles I feel NEED to be made:

Cloud Car
Sith Infiltrator
Homing Spider Droid
NR-N99 Tank Droid
AT-TE
AT-AP

Not that big.

Banthaholic
06-25-2006, 10:36 AM
I'd love them to make these vehicles. It would be crescent fresh.

Here is my list of vehicles I feel NEED to be made:

Cloud Car
Sith Infiltrator
Homing Spider Droid
NR-N99 Tank Droid
AT-TE
AT-AP

Not that big.
I also really want the Homing Spider Droid, it's a must.

Things I'd also likle to see from E3
Grievous's ship
The ship Anakin takes to join Mace confromting Palpatine
Bail Organa's E3 speeder

All of these could be produced and sold for under $20, which seems to be a pricepoint Hasbro enjoys. Blue Bail's speeder could be used when recreating the E2 speeder chase scene.

Tycho
06-25-2006, 12:28 PM
The Sith Infiltrator doesn't do anything in the film but decloak and land, and to be even remotely in scale with Maul it'd have to be bigger than the Queen's Royal Starship.

First: you never see the Sith Infiltrator "de-cloak." Like in Star Trek? Never.
That's not in the 3 copies of TPM that I have.

Second: why do you guys think the Sith Infiltrator is larger than the Naboo Royal Starship (TPM - I'm guessing you're talking about?)

It is definitely not!

It's slightly larger than a Jedi starfighter and Doug Chiang used elements of the Trade Federation ships (the Death Star like ball part) and the eventual evolution of the Star Destroyer (the triangular shape) to create the look for Maul's ship.

In "Incredible Cross-Sections" - it shows that Darth Maul can store his speederbike in a cargo compartment under the triangular nose. In the ball-cockpit, he has his pilot seat, and seats with prisoner restraints for around 5 passengers (guess he kills any 6th prisoner, hehe).

A Hasbro toy of the ship need only be about the size of a Hasbro Jedi Starfighter (they could use elements from the E2 mold if they really had to :rolleyes: ) But I'd make it so it could only seat Darth Maul. If a completely new mold was called for, I'd see if I could add storage room for the Sith Speeder, or include it as a pack-in with a larger ship (and maybe a Maul figure if we're talking the push for a $50 set). For a $20 ship? Just make it seat a Maul figure sold separately (but release one single-carded at the same time you release the ship - duh!)

As to the V-wing? The ROTS version was much cooler than the Dark Empire / RS one. I don't know if the fictional manufacturers of the vehicles are of any relation, either. It would seem Sienar did the ROTS ones and Incom did the DE/RS ones. This vehicle should come with the black Clone Pilot (I guess) - or the white one. He was never shown in the movie.

In either case, I'd buy me a Sith Infiltrator and probably 2 V-wings from ROTS.

Tycho
06-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Bail's speeder could be used when recreating the E2 speeder chase scene.

It was the same speeder they constructed to film Hayden and Ewan in. They changed the tail fins from 2 to 4 I guess (for ROTS) as well as the color. I think they also added engine covers on Bail's front panel.

These are easy modifications I'd expect to see Hasbro make.

Along with this, they should pack-in a new figure of Bail Organa in the correct outfit for his confrontation with the 501st troops at the Jedi Temple.

It need not be too articulate, but bending knees and elbows would be nice.

JediTricks
06-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh yeah! That's the souped-up airspeeder that first saw action in the pooptastic (but beautifully illustrated) Dark Empire series, right?

See, I'm not crazy after all. :crazed:
That would be the one.

Blue2th, it also had turbo boost and those crazy cluster missiles, made the game 10 times easier. :D

That's not in the 3 copies of TPM that I have.Ha ha, you have 3 copies of TPM... oh wait, I got suckered into having that as well. You're right, I forgot, it got cut from the movie, but it was done, might even be in some of the early prints that got out.

Second: why do you guys think the Sith Infiltrator is larger than the Naboo Royal Starship (TPM - I'm guessing you're talking about?)

It is definitely not!Not the actual Royal Starship doof! The Royal Starship TOY! Look at when Maul is standing just outside the rear door, he's smaller than the opening and the opening is less than half the height of the ship, and the ship is about 10 times as long as it is tall in the back.

It's slightly larger than a Jedi starfighter and Doug Chiang used elements of the Trade Federation ships (the Death Star like ball part) and the eventual evolution of the Star Destroyer (the triangular shape) to create the look for Maul's ship.

In "Incredible Cross-Sections" - it shows that Darth Maul can store his speederbike in a cargo compartment under the triangular nose. In the ball-cockpit, he has his pilot seat, and seats with prisoner restraints for around 5 passengers (guess he kills any 6th prisoner, hehe).
Are you on crack? "Slightly larger than a JSF"?!? The AOTC JSF is the smallest starfighter in Star Wars until ROTS came around and made its JSF *even smaller*, Maul's ship is WAAAAAY bigger than that, the ball cockpit section is 2 stories if nothing else!!! And as you yourself just pointed out, the cockpit interior TOP STORY has 6 seats in a circle, the JSF has 1 seat and the ship is barely big enough to accomodate that. And that 2-story ball cockpit with enough room to seat 6 in a circle is only about 1/5th the LENGTH of the ship, so how big do you think this thing will be again?

Tycho
06-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Well, like I said, it doesn't need to have a toy made to scale.

My Blockade Runner (Tantive IV) is over 5 feet long, but it's great for a TOY and I don't need "Michael Fright's" semi-truck to transport it.

Turbowars
06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I will most likely pass on these. I have never wanted them and beside Hasbro will ruin them anyways.

JediTricks
06-26-2006, 02:03 PM
I will most likely pass on these. I have never wanted them and beside Hasbro will ruin them anyways.
That's the spirit! :D

So, how big do you think would be acceptable on the Sith Infiltrator? Do you think Hasbro will go that size?

Dark Marble
06-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow, some passes here on the new vehicles. I thought everyone would be more jazzed about them. I thought for sure new vehicles would not happen at all, just repaints. These are two that (if confirmed) I never thought would happen.

dindae
06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
So, how big do you think would be acceptable on the Sith Infiltrator? Do you think Hasbro will go that size?

Happy = 2.5 feet (even though it isn't to scale I don't want it to dwarf the queens starship as I will display them together and I have no hope of that being released in scale)
Acceptable = 2 feet

The way Hasbro has been going with vehicles I might be pleasantly surprised but I'm expecting somewhere in the acceptable range.

Either way I'm still happy Hasbro has come to thier senses about release new sculpts in a non movie year. I feel slightly vindicated.

Tycho
06-26-2006, 07:47 PM

I think that if it's just slightly longer than Slave-One, I'll be fine with it.

The AOTC Jedi Starfighter is what, about 8-9 inches, maybe a foot?

This could get away with being a little bigger, fire a couple of plastic missles from the sides like the ROTS Jedi Starfighters, and seat Maul in a single-seat cockpit similar to Darth Vader's TIE Fighter and I'll be happy. If it comes with a storage compartment for the Sith Speeder, or a re-release of that toy becomes a pack-in, I'd be ecstatic.

I totally don't want anything NEAR the size of the Queen's Royal Starship.

If they really want to do something (mid-range) big or even huge, try an MTT, Jabba's Sailbarge, etc.

Though it's not really being discussed, the V-wing should be slightly larger than the ROTS Jedi Starfighters (but definitely NOT purple!)

Banthaholic
06-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Scale doesn't bother me on the Sith Infiltrator. Just like the Sandcrawler I'd rather have something and use my imagination that it's the right scale than have nothing and have to use my imagination there is a ship. :)

Put a Jedi Starfighter front on a tie advanced and I'm happy. Though if they want t make it better, all the better.

Turbowars
06-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Speaking of the Sandcrawler, I was kind of suckered into buying that tiny hunk of crap because I preordered it from a Mom and Pop shop that didn't carry SW junk and I felt bad not buying it so I did. I couldn't believe what a piece of **** it was so I kept the Droid and sold it to an old SSG member for 45 bucks.

Anyways The Infiltrator should be about the size of a Gunship, but they could get away with it being bigger just because the front of the thing is kind of skinny.

Tycho
06-27-2006, 02:09 AM
The Republic Gunship was one of the 6 films' signature large ships made as toys (AOTC's specifically):

Millennium Falcon
AT-AT
Imperial Shuttle
Royal Starship
Republic Gunship
ARC 170

The Sith Infiltrator didn't really do anything nor did it play any important part in the movie or a cartoon. They'll NEVER produce it to be the size of the Gunship.

It will just be cool to have it, like Banthaholic said. It is a toy. You guys that whine and complain about scale all the time, would whine and complain about price next. It's no wonder Hasbro doesn't bother with vehicles too much in a non-movie year.

I for one would like to see the Gungan Sub and several more Podracers, an MTT, the Gian Speeder, etc. from TPM,

and Grievous' ship, Bail Organa's speeder, a Senate playset, Padme's star yacht, the Wookiee Catamaran, the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, the Separatists' Droid Gunship, the Clones' Swamp Speeder, and more from ROTS.

Poor sales for the V-wing, and especially the Sith Infiltrator (because the V-wing will sell!) could make Hasbro balk at doing more.

From AOTC we still need the large walking Spider Droids, the AT-TE which would be a large vehicle in the "movie release line sense," Padme's first star yacht, and more. Let's get them, have them be well-done, but be sensible with our wishes for a 10-second ship (the Sith Infiltrator) is not going to ever be made into something spectacular. If they do make an AT-TE, well then that's where they should spend the money as well as charge it back to consumers.

K M Toydarian
06-27-2006, 04:37 AM
I have to go with the tie advanced + AOTC Jedi starfighter analogy. That would be a good size.
I think it should be small enough to be reasonably priced (no more than 29.99) so it doesn't become a major purchase for parents. It needs good sales for Hasbro to see everyone likes playable vehicles.
I also don't think it will be Royal Starship size, as that was released as also being a playset, ie. opening panels, interiors, etc. Like the Falcon.
This should just be a ship you can fit a figure in, that looks impressive, but you can still hold in one hand and "fly" around the room.

PS. Anyone think there will be a Maul released around this time? They need to get the evolutions maul back out to fly his ship.

Turbowars
06-27-2006, 07:39 AM
I don't understand where you guys are getting off on a Infiltrator the size of a starfighter. It makes no sense. Tycho you are out of your mind as usual.

K M Toydarian
06-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Oh I want a huge Infiltrator, just don't think it will be, and if it is truly as massive as it should be, it might not do so well (too expensive) and ruin chances for future large vehicles. I want it to look good with the figures, but something like a Star Destroyer I would prefer as a massive playset type vehicle.

jedi master sal
06-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Okay fellas, get out your rulers here.

Before we go any further check the official stats here:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/sithinfiltrator/index.html

Now since we know the length to be 26.5M and Darth Maul to be 1.75M tall ( http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/darthmaul/index.html )
We cam extrapolate how big an action figure sized Iniltrator would be.

The Infiltrator is just over 15 times in length as Maul is tall. The action figure is roughly 3.75 inches. When converted to centimeters that is 9.5cm. Equating 9.5cm (action figure) to the actual size of Maul 1.75M, then multiply 9.5cm by 15 to get the length of the toy Infiltrator. That's 142.5cm or in inches it's 56.1 inches or 4ft8in+.

Obviously that is WAY to large for Hasbro and would be too much for us to spend.

Cutting that number in half (2ft4in) is resonable but still may be too much for Hasbro and would most certainly cost at least $50-60.

So instead cut the number to one-third. That's just over 18 inches in length. Now here's why I said get your rulers out. I'm looking at an 18 inch ruler right now and it's BIG for a ship. Sure not to scale but it would most certainly suffice.
Now take into consideration that when the wings are folded and the ship has landed it could be 6inches tall. Okay so it's NOT 2 stories tall, but there would be plenty enough room for the door in the back, plus the Sith Speeder, and some probe droids to fit in a small compartment in the back in which the back door opens to. The cockpit needn't be all the tall as well. No reason he needs to stand in it. Just sit him in his pilot chair. By doing this the "flat" size (wings folded) can easily be 6 inches tall.

For the sake of the box, the wings should come unassembled or possibly one assembled as we've seen with both the Dagobah X-wing and the new Zev Sensca Snowspeeder.

Figuring on this size then, it is reasonable to suggest the price be no less than $40. Also consider that this would be a "one-shot" vehicle. So that's another reason for the price to be a bit higher. It's not like the Gunship where many of us want more than one. Selling this for under $40 just wouldn't make sense for Hasbro.

Okay without totally knocking my thoughts here, since it's obvious I took some time figuring it out, what do you all think of the size I proposed?

-Sal

Banthaholic
06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the Math Jedi Master Sal!

I'm fine with that size you proposed.

I remember what it was like in the 80s when POTF ended and no more SW was made. I remember wishing certain things would have been made (tie bomber, Jabba's sailbarge) and at that point there was no hope for getting anything. Point being an underscaled ship is a-ok with me, because when all is said and down having a sith infiltrator for me is better than not having one at all.

Jargo
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM
it's a nice design. short or long it'll probably look ok. provided the paint apps are ok and they don't just use that cheapo metallic looking plastic that has swirls in it that makes it look like waste offcuts melted down and re-used. y'know that stuff they make the star tours droids from. horrible bootleg looking plastic. if it's gonna be cheated scale then give it a good paint job.

doubtless the sith speeder won't fit inside but i can cope with that, sooner have it displayed side by side anyway. more of the probe droid that came with the saga Maul would be cool. that thing looked excellent and was nicely detailed too. plus it was removable from the stand.
Main thing for me is working wings, good detail on the exit ramp and airlock doors. and a nice interior cockpit.

my guess is the compromise will come in the size of the wings and nose. and by not packing in a coco the clown... i mean darth maul. that would save on costs. there must be a carded maul coming soon anyway. to go with the three million already released.

Slicker
06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Although 18 inches does seem small I had to break out the ruler as you said and it is indeed a large enough size for what we need. I'm sure 75% of the people won't be happy with it being small but then if it were any bigger they wouldn't be happy about the large price point.

I'll get it regardless and if it comes in a window box I'll be just that much more happy.

JediTricks
06-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Put a Jedi Starfighter front on a tie advanced and I'm happy. Though if they want t make it better, all the better.So take a $20 size ship and graft it onto another $20 size ship... hmm, sounds to me like you're thinking ofa $40 size ship. What you're describing is slightly larger than the Republic Gunship, seems pretty big but I don't think we'll get that.

It will just be cool to have it, like Banthaholic said. It is a toy. You guys that whine and complain about scale all the time, would whine and complain about price next. It's no wonder Hasbro doesn't bother with vehicles too much in a non-movie year.Why look, Tycho is being a tool again. :p Yeah, for the size to be even remotely good looking, the price would have to be very high, and for the price to be that high, it should damn well have DONE SOMETHING in the movie, and I've been saying that for the past 7 years listening to you and your ilk ***** and moan about why Hasbro didn't make this ship. :D

And let me tell you something, if it does come out and it's a $20 vehicle, it'll be very small, probably the size of the A-wing or Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter, and then all you chumps who buy it because you're SOOOO excited will be *****ing and moaning yourselves about how SMALL it is, and *that* is why Hasbro doesn't bother with vehicles.

Thank goodness we got the Action Fleet version before Hasbro canned that line.

Poor sales for the V-wing, and especially the Sith Infiltrator (because the V-wing will sell!) could make Hasbro balk at doing more.What makes you think the V-wing will sell? It's *barely* in the movie, it doesn't do anything when it's onscreen, it doesn't harken to ANY other Star Wars ship, and it's not that interesting a shape in general.

Figuring on this size then, it is reasonable to suggest the price be no less than $40. Also consider that this would be a "one-shot" vehicle. So that's another reason for the price to be a bit higher. It's not like the Gunship where many of us want more than one. Selling this for under $40 just wouldn't make sense for Hasbro.The Gunship was $40 when they first released it, it was only when they repainted it and rereleased it in the Clone Wars line that the price dropped to $30. I think a $40 Sith Infiltrator would lucky to be as big as the Gunship, you said a foot and a half by 6", that's the length of the Gunship minus 3", and using the Gunship again 6" is the height to the top of the copilot cockpit. Seems to me like it'll be a $40 vehicle that comes off small for the price (some of the money will get used up in the wing width, which you did not calculate but I believe will have to be about 9-12" on your model). I'm looking at my Gunship and I have deluxe Mace in the opening under that cockpit, Maul would take up a lot of that space, no way the rear doors will work like in the movie, but if it were $30 instead of $40, it might be passable.

Tycho
06-27-2006, 03:46 PM
and for the price to be that high, it should damn well have DONE SOMETHING in the movie, and I've been saying that for the past 7 years listening to you and your ilk ***** and moan about why Hasbro didn't make this ship. :D

I've always supported us getting the ship and yeah, I did make a stink about getting it and I still want it and stand by that. I never said I wanted something larger than Slave-One for it though. An underscale ship that's very cool and maybe has remote operating wings (they just gave the snowspeeder working brake flaps) would be very cool.

And let me tell you something, if it does come out and it's a $20 vehicle, it'll be very small, probably the size of the A-wing or Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter, and then all you chumps who buy it because you're SOOOO excited will be *****ing and moaning yourselves about how SMALL it is, and *that* is why Hasbro doesn't bother with vehicles.

Not me. It needs to be a little larger than the A-wing or E3 Jedi Starfighter, but I'm not a huge Maul-Rat so I won't be the one complaining. Turbowars is a much more "positive" guy about stuff like that.:rolleyes:

Thank goodness we got the Action Fleet version before Hasbro canned that line.

Yeah, JT and his tiny plastic ships. :rolleyes:

What makes you think the V-wing will sell? It's *barely* in the movie, it doesn't do anything when it's onscreen, it doesn't harken to ANY other Star Wars ship, and it's not that interesting a shape in general.

The wings folded up sort of transforming it when one landed, escorting the wounded Darth Vader aboard Palpatine's shuttle. When it flew in formation around the star destroyers at the end of the movie, it showed up as a pre-cursor to TIE Fighters and with the wings in flight mode, from a distance it looks like a TIE, plus makes that Ion Engine sound (or otherwise keeps Ben Burt employed).

Rumor is, that black uniformed Clone pilots fly these ships - the variant of the ARC 170 Clone Pilot Hasbro sold in the H&V assortment (I think). I never bought any - didn't need any without V-wings for them to fly and getting 2 of those (eventually - if they make the ship and don't include a pack-in anyway) won't be too expensive on ZoBid or wherever.

The Gunship was $40 when they first released it, it was only when they repainted it and rereleased it in the Clone Wars line that the price dropped to $30.

How much is the TigerShark Gunship (TRU exclusive)? I haven't been in a TRU in the longest time (nearly a year I think).

jedi master sal
06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
The Gunship was $40 when they first released it, it was only when they repainted it and rereleased it in the Clone Wars line that the price dropped to $30. I think a $40 Sith Infiltrator would lucky to be as big as the Gunship, you said a foot and a half by 6", that's the length of the Gunship minus 3", and using the Gunship again 6" is the height to the top of the copilot cockpit. Seems to me like it'll be a $40 vehicle that comes off small for the price (some of the money will get used up in the wing width, which you did not calculate but I believe will have to be about 9-12" on your model). I'm looking at my Gunship and I have deluxe Mace in the opening under that cockpit, Maul would take up a lot of that space, no way the rear doors will work like in the movie, but if it were $30 instead of $40, it might be passable.

That was 18" long by 6" high (not wide as you misread). I deliberately didn't account for the width as Hasbro can package it fully assembled (unlikely), or one wing assembled and the other hidden in the package (possible and a nice window box), or most likely without the wings assembled at all. If they choose the unassembled route it would save space with the box size, which would help to entice retailers to stock it. Once assemebled I could easily see this being 10-12 inches at the widest point, which of course is the wings. Also with the wings flipped out it would be much taller at approx 9-10 inches tall.

As to the cost, consider that this is NOT a repetitive purchase vehicle like the gunship or TIE fighters or even X-wings. There was only ONE Infiltrator. So it's wholey plausible for Hasbro to recoup the cost of production by increasing the price per unit figuring on consumers only buying one of this vehicle. Forty dollars for the Infiltrator is not too much to ask, even at the size I mentioned when put into context.

If WE ALL want this thing as badly as we claim, then we should be ready to step up to the plate and buy it. I for one won't buy more than one, well maybe a second should I somehow break the first one... But seriously who can honestly say they'd buy more than one? Not too many I'm certain of that and nowhere near the majority.

So for all the bellyaching about wanting this, even underscaled we are going to snatch it up, even at a pricepoint of $40. (Don't believe me, just refer to the Sandcrawler...)

-Sal

Turbowars
06-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Gee what a great idea, make the ship 18" long. Like I said, make it about the size of a Gunship. ;)

darko666
06-27-2006, 06:20 PM
i hope they make the Sith Infiltrator. i've wanted that ship since i saw it in
The Art of Star Wars: Episode I.

dindae
06-28-2006, 09:46 AM
If it is in the scale I am hoping for 24-30 inches I am prepared to spend $40-50 dollars. I can't see this thing at the same scale of a jedi starfighter that would be as poorly scaled as the sandcrawler. The main reason this ship tanked was because it was so badly out of scale and overpriced. I could see the ship to come in two pieces seperating where the nose connects to the cockpit. 18" might be passable but I won't be as excited. Bottom line is I don't think Hasbro should cut the quality of their items to fit a $30 price point. If you want quality you pay for it. If you want cheap crap then you get cheap crap.

JediTricks
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Not me. It needs to be a little larger than the A-wing or E3 Jedi Starfighter, but I'm not a huge Maul-Rat so I won't be the one complaining. Turbowars is a much more "positive" guy about stuff like that.:rolleyes: I dunno Tycho, I just said it'd be the size of an A-wing or JSF, you said you'd be fine by it then immediately said it had to be larger. :p

Yeah, JT and his tiny plastic ships. :rolleyes: Hey, at least I can see the bulk of my starships! Even before yours were packed away you weren't able to have it all on display! :D

How much is the TigerShark Gunship (TRU exclusive)? I haven't been in a TRU in the longest time (nearly a year I think).$45, but exclusives generally carry heavier pricetags. The ROTS Gunship (not actually seen in ROTS mind you, the movie showed the AOTC colorscheme) was $30 at mass release.

That was 18" long by 6" high (not wide as you misread). I didn't misread it, read what you quoted again, I said "using the Gunship again 6" is the height to the top of the copilot cockpit." and "some of the money will get used up in the wing width, which you did not calculate" so neener neener. :p

I deliberately didn't account for the width as Hasbro can package it fully assembled (unlikely), or one wing assembled and the other hidden in the package (possible and a nice window box), or most likely without the wings assembled at all.I wasn't thinking of box dimensions, I was assuming it'd be a slim box like the ROTS Republic Gunship actually, when citing width I was referring to the size of the actual toy and how much that'll cost Hasbro to build, materials plus tooling. 12" width is 2/3rds the length of the theoretical toy after all and thus a significant pricepoint factor I think. And I don't think an 18 x 6 x 12 version of this ship will look as big as you think.

So for all the bellyaching about wanting this, even underscaled we are going to snatch it up, even at a pricepoint of $40. (Don't believe me, just refer to the Sandcrawler...)Originally it was $60, almost nobody bought it. I didn't buy one until it was $17. As much talk as collectors have, there is a point where they won't spend that the money, generally $30 seems to be the top cap for the crazy collector spending - look at the Target B-wing's inability to sell until it got clearanced. The Sandcralwer looked good but was harshly underscale and it got criticized for it, the Sith Infiltrator will have to be heavily underscale as well so what's to keep it from the same criticism?

dindae
06-28-2006, 05:45 PM
- look at the Target B-wing's inability to sell until it got clearanced. The Sandcralwer looked good but was harshly underscale and it got criticized for it, the Sith Infiltrator will have to be heavily underscale as well so what's to keep it from the same criticism?

None of the Targets around here seemed to have a problem getting rid of the B-wings. Any toy over $40 is not going to fly off the shelves that doesn't mean it doesn't meet expectations. The sandcrawler was garbage (boring, way out of scale, rehash) and Hasbro couldn't pawn it off on any retailer so it finally went to e-tailers/diamond which bumped the price point up even higher. I don't think $30 is a cap for the average collector that collects vehicle. A quality vehicle will sell at a higher price point but it is definately has to hold up to higher scrutiny. It can be done the Gunship and Falcon are good examples.

Darth Instigator
06-28-2006, 07:43 PM
i would like to see the sith infiltrator

Joshkj
06-28-2006, 08:19 PM
The V-wing im not worried about, but seeing a sith infiltrator will almost absolutly be alot smaller than it should be. If it is B-wing length I will be very happy.

jedi master sal
06-29-2006, 08:52 AM
The Sandcralwer looked good but was harshly underscale and it got criticized for it, the Sith Infiltrator will have to be heavily underscale as well so what's to keep it from the same criticism?

No doubt it will be criticized regardless, but I sincerely hope and believe not as much. One reason being there isn't a vintage one to compare it too. That was the downfall of the Sandcrawler.

Also, this is a unique ship and one very much sought after. At any scale it's going to be a welcome addition to anyones collection.

Oh you mentioned that 18"longX12"wide wouldn't be as big as I thought...

Did you whip out a ruler and check this? Eighteen inches while not huge for a ship is a good size. Because the ship tapers to an almost point at the front, it's going to gain visually from a sort of forced perspective. SO it will appear to be bigger and not smaller than it really is.

You also mentioned additional cost for the wings. Seeing as how they could use the same mold for both wing sets, that's money already saved. The wing struts a flat and the wings themselves are a relatively thin, not to complex design which should translate to cheaper production costs, not only in R&D, but materials cost.

Heh heh, I'd forgoten that we've debated this type of thing in the past.
Only goes to show how passionate we are about it.

No harm no foul.
-Sal

JediTricks
06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
None of the Targets around here seemed to have a problem getting rid of the B-wings.Weird, around here EVERY Target I went to had a glut of 'em and eventually clearanced them out pretty low.

I don't think $30 is a cap for the average collector that collects vehicle. A quality vehicle will sell at a higher price point but it is definately has to hold up to higher scrutiny. It can be done the Gunship and Falcon are good examples.Funny you mention the Gunship and the modern Falcon, both good toys, both sold weakly at $40 and $50 respectively though, the Gunship went on clearance pretty deep, I got mine half-off at WM I believe. There are still stacks of the TSC Falcon at my TRU, and the OTC one never sold that well either.

No doubt it will be criticized regardless, but I sincerely hope and believe not as much. One reason being there isn't a vintage one to compare it too. That was the downfall of the Sandcrawler.I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The modern Sandcrawler *is* the vintage one except for some paint changes and internal design changes, so it's not like someone can look to the vintage one and say "oh, that was way bigger than this" or anything.

Also, this is a unique ship and one very much sought after. At any scale it's going to be a welcome addition to anyones collection.For some reason, it's always sold poorly as the Die Cast version, both in the original Galoob Ep 1 line and the current Titanium Series version.

Did you whip out a ruler and check this? Eighteen inches while not huge for a ship is a good size. Because the ship tapers to an almost point at the front, it's going to gain visually from a sort of forced perspective. SO it will appear to be bigger and not smaller than it really is.Yes, I grabbed the tape measure and took 18 x 6 x 12 and compared it to the Republic Gunship, the tallest part of the ship would be on the gunship its rear cockpit, not that tall, and then it'd taper down severely from there until it got to the front, maybe 1" tall at the nose, it seemed small to my mind. The Action Fleet and SW Transformers versions both have this, the short height of the nose which takes up nearly all the length of the ship makes the rest seem very small.

You also mentioned additional cost for the wings. Seeing as how they could use the same mold for both wing sets, that's money already saved. The wing struts a flat and the wings themselves are a relatively thin, not to complex design which should translate to cheaper production costs, not only in R&D, but materials cost.The wings are not identical, they're symmetrical, so they can save money by making only an upper and lower wing panel, but to get the actual struts out of 1 mold means fudging the lines a bit as they don't quite flop upside-down.

Heh heh, I'd forgoten that we've debated this type of thing in the past.
Only goes to show how passionate we are about it.

No harm no foul.How dare you! I'LL KILL YOU!!! ;)

Jargo
06-29-2006, 04:41 PM
anyone got some scans of the drawings and cutaway drawings from the episode one books? I can only remember bits of what the inside cockpit looks like.

dindae
06-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Weird, around here EVERY Target I went to had a glut of 'em and eventually clearanced them out pretty low. Funny you mention the Gunship and the modern Falcon, both good toys, both sold weakly at $40 and $50 respectively though, the Gunship went on clearance pretty deep, I got mine half-off at WM I believe. There are still stacks of the TSC Falcon at my TRU, and the OTC one never sold that well either.

The gunship sold well enough to get picked up for 2 more runs and the falcon sold well enough to immediately go from OTC to ROTS release. Just because something is on the shelves doesn't mean that it isn't selling. $40 and $50 items don't move like $20 and $29 items. Also just because something goes on clearance does mean its a failure. If you blow throw 100 units but have 10 that don't move and have to sell them for cost or a little more you still made out good. I guess its must be a market difference. I can't recall seeing the Gunship on clearance but I know the Nashville does not get the distribution that LA does so it is probably more to do with that more than anything. It would be interesting to see some hard data.

jedi master sal
06-30-2006, 12:31 PM
How dare you! I'LL KILL YOU!!! ;)

You can't kill that which is already dead...

Tycho
06-30-2006, 12:53 PM
TPM:

Radiant VII - possible, if underscale
Trade Federation "Revenue" Droid Control Ship - no way, too big
H-wing Federation Air-to-Ground Transport - probably not
Droid Carrier Rack Car - possible, might be boring
MTT - possible - and possibly underscale
Gungan Sub - could be made, and very likely sold actually
Niemoidian Shuttle (seen in all 3 prequels) - possible. Sort of boring.
Teemto Pagales podracer
Dud Bolt's podracer
Mars Guo's podracer
Gasgano's podracer
Ody Mandrell's podracer (fires a pit droid, hehe)
Sith Infiltrator (on deck it's rumored)
Coruscant Taxi - low pricepoint mini-rig? Seen in AOTC also
Senate Cars (for a playset) - possibly with mold from battlepack, hopefullly better
Gian Speeder (silver Naboo landspeeder)
Chancellor's Republic Transport Ship (end of movie) - possible, but boring

AOTC:

Silver Senator Amidala's Star Cruiser "wing" - cool, but probably too big
Refugee Freighter - outbound for Naboo - possible Clone Wars repaints here
Naboo Water Skimmer - low pricepoint mini-rig, but really boring
Kamino Clone Patrol / Observation Craft - low pricepoint mini-rig, rather cool
Padme's star yacht (perhaps underscale and with addable wings to make her ROTS ship?)
Rickshaw Droid with cart from Mos Espa - mini-rig?
Corporate Alliance Rocket Ship - interesting. They'd have to "EU" it up though.
Executioner Cart with Geonosian Picador Mount Animal
Large Spider Walker Droid - very good idea!
Ground Transport Carrier Gunship
AT-TE - probably the most wanted prequel vehicle right here!
Clone Tank Cannon Platforms (forgot what they're called) - way too big though
Republic Star Destroyer - probably too big, and they should do an Imperial Star Destroyer first
Dooku's Solar Sailor - possible - needs to be made very accurately and well though

ROTS:

The Invisible Hand - not likely. Very big and a Star Destroyer would be a better choice.
Airbus shuttle (seen in AOTC too actually) - boring
Wookiee Catamaran - YES! This would be a very sweet vehicle
Clone Swamp Speeder - yup - cool
Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - yup - necessary even
Fallucia / Mygeeto AT-PT's (or whatever the fully armored 2-legged walkers were)
Pip-n-Pop up droids (also seen in CW cartoon when the Seps attacked Coruscant)
Lava Miner work platform - for miner figures and part of "the Duel."
Grievous' ship (that Obi-Wan stole to escape in)
V-wing Fighter (rumored as on deck)
Palpatine's shuttle - possible with part tweaking from the Tyderium

I'll let someone else continue with the OT since I've tired.

JediTricks
06-30-2006, 10:46 PM
You can't kill that which is already dead...That'd make the Ghost Rider movie really boring... oh wait, Nick Cage... it will be. :p

Tycho's list:

Radiant VII - possible, if underscaleWAAAAAY underscale, like smaller than your homemade Tantive IV. They haven't done ships in that scale for the figs at all in the modern line, have they?

H-wing Federation Air-to-Ground Transport - probably notTrade Federation Landing Craft, Galoob did an Action Fleet of it, it kicks ***. Anyway, it's way bigger than the Tantive IV which they won't do, it holds a dozen MTTs which they won't do apparently.

Droid Carrier Rack Car - possible, might be boringThe LEGO version sure is. But maybe if the droids fully transformed... no, still boring.

MTT - possible - and possibly underscaleIt'd have to be bigger than the Sandcrawler even to be underscale, doubtful.

Gungan Sub - could be made, and very likely sold actuallyHave to be pretty big to come close to accuracy, should have released it 6 years ago at latest, now it's too late.

Niemoidian Shuttle (seen in all 3 prequels) - possible. Sort of boring.Very boring, the Action Fleet version got canned most of the way through design.

Teemto Pagales podracer
Dud Bolt's podracer
Mars Guo's podracer
Gasgano's podracer
Ody Mandrell's podracer (fires a pit droid, hehe)Non-hero podracer vehicles are very limited interest, especially 7 years later.

Coruscant Taxi - low pricepoint mini-rig? Seen in AOTC alsoSuper mega ultra boring.

Gian Speeder (silver Naboo landspeeder)Would have been nice 6 or 7 years ago. Flash Speeder sucked though, this would have to be better than that.

Chancellor's Republic Transport Ship (end of movie) - possible, but boringGiant red bell ship? Boring as hell, plus the actual on-set prop piece shows that they originally were using another Republic Cruiser and swapped it out, so it doesn't even make sense.

Silver Senator Amidala's Star Cruiser "wing" - cool, but probably too bigYup, would have made an awesome Action Fleet though.

Refugee Freighter - outbound for Naboo - possible Clone Wars repaints hereBoring, way too big.

Naboo Water Skimmer - low pricepoint mini-rig, but really boringWasn't this essentially a canoe?

Kamino Clone Patrol / Observation Craft - low pricepoint mini-rig, rather coolBarely noticed in the movie, described as "mini-slave 1" so might have appeal, but kinda oddball.

Rickshaw Droid with cart from Mos Espa - mini-rig?Don't know what you guys see out of this that warrants a toy.

Corporate Alliance Rocket Ship - interesting. They'd have to "EU" it up though.Serious scale issues, never saw interior, not enough interest.

Executioner Cart with Geonosian Picador Mount AnimalPlays a bigger part in the movie than the AT-TE, yet this is the first time I've seen a request for it. If they had released it 4 years ago, maybe, but now it's too minor.

Large Spider Walker Droid - very good idea!"Homing Spider Droid", scale issues again but managable, would go good with lame dwarf spider droid, lame crab droid, and cool hailfire droid, but no figure goes inside, should hollow it out and make it a cockpit for battle droid.

Republic Star Destroyer - probably too big, and they should do an Imperial Star Destroyer firstThat's the "Republic Assault Ship" aka Acclamator-class transport. WAAAAAY out of scale and years too late, but might be interesting to see them try since it's the closest thing to a Star Destroyer they have ever shown with humans boarding it.

Dooku's Solar Sailor - possible - needs to be made very accurately and well thoughBoring, too late, and will come out crappy like the Action Fleet.

Wookiee Catamaran - YES! This would be a very sweet vehicleUgh, no thank you, boring boring boring, the wookiee ornathopter was good but this thing would be 2 long canoes connected to a goofy-looking car engine with a propellor on it, the LEGO one sucked and so would this I think.

Clone Swamp Speeder - yup - coolBarely in the movie, drivers look like they're sitting in recliners.

Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - yup - necessary evenThis was in Ep 2, not that it matters to me. Could be cool, but they should take a page from LEGO and make it pilotable by a separate battle droid figure.

Fallucia / Mygeeto AT-PT's (or whatever the fully armored 2-legged walkers were)If they had more time on-screen, I would have been heavily for this, but since they had very little, it's a tough call as it'd come in at like $30 or more.

Pip-n-Pop up droids (also seen in CW cartoon when the Seps attacked Coruscant)Huh? You mean the tri-droids, the balls with legs?

Lava Miner work platform - for miner figures and part of "the Duel."Those were droids as well as platforms, and they were different from each other, they'd need a floaty gimmick or something to make them not be boring.

Grievous' ship (that Obi-Wan stole to escape in)Grievous' Starfighter, and I've been saying that we need this since pretty much day 1.

Palpatine's shuttle - possible with part tweaking from the TyderiumIt's actually way different. If it did more in the movie, I would say it's a necessity, but as it is it's just an "interesting if they tried".

Tycho
07-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I got a little bit of a second wind so I'm going to tackle the Classic Trilogy.

As to the Naboo Water Skimmer, LOL JT - yeah it was a canoe! You can use this with BurgerKing Pocohantus action figures besides SW toys, too! :D

Anyway, moving on to

ANH:

Tantive IV Rebel Blockade Runner - gotta be done, and in ANH colors not ROTS blue. My example of an underscale 5-footer is perfect (save for poor craftsmanship) - but the scale for this being a playset/toy is correct versus the old KENNER prototype that had it flying through space with a character sticking out of the radar tower without a spacesuit on. What were they thinking? We didn't have a Bo Shek figure then.

Imperial Star Destroyer Devastator (Avenger, Chimmera, etc) - would be wonderful. Underscale of course, but I'm going to build myself a 7-9 footer. I wished we were still living in the days of the GI Joe aircraft carrier (USS Flag) because Hasbro might've been stupid enough to lose money doing this. Now like SideShow took over the 12" line, we have to hope some other company will start up, get a license, and try a capital ship line. This and the Blockade Runner (and Jabba's Sailbarge) are the Top 3 that should be made in that category (other than a scale Falcon for the 3 3/4" figures).

Imperial Landing Craft - possible at around a $70-100 pricepoint.

Improved Size Sandcrawler - not my priority, but it would be nice as well as possible.

Lars Family Landspeeder - the appeal is in price point, a new sculpt, having "traffic" for a Mos Eisley display diorama etc.

T-16 Skyhopper - re-release. I got one and don't need another. But I think it's been largely forgotten that this was done. It might sell again.

Scale Millennium Falcon - I don't think there's one of us that would turn this down in spite of probably having no where to put this. A scale ship for the 3 3/4" would likley be about the size of the TRU promotional one they hung in all their stores in 1997 for the Special Editions. But they could do up the interior detail like its shown in Incredible Cross-Sections.

Rebel Pilot transport carrier, Yavin Base - boring, but it could sell cheaply.

ESB:

Rebel pilot ground transport (what was sort of the vintage EU "Imperial Troop Transport." They could basically repaint this and re-release it. Maybe minus the ANH sound effects.

Imperial Super Star Destroyer - yeah right? Vader's ship? Forget it! There's no way to do it even underscale. If you make a regular SD toy 7-9 feet, what's this one going to be? 15 feet long?

Rebel Transport (spacecraft) - update the interior and re-release it. I don't think it would be a hot seller though.

AT-ST (Hoth) - strengthen the legs with a harder plastic - the same mold is fine.

TIE Bomber - time for a re-release. Thank the Force that most of us have one or two! Very cool toy if undersized.

Twin Pod Cloud Car - it would be about time. Add a firing missle (hidden inside like the Geonosian Fighter's) on either side to help liven this up for kids, and pack-in one pilot (variant skin tone from the last one).

Rebel Medical Frigate - it would have to be underscale again (forget scaling it to the old '78 Falcon even) but it might be interesting if you include a command bridge, and reuse the Bacta Luke kit stuff to flesh out a sickbay. I don't see it as a priority though.

ROTJ

Jabba The Hutt's Sailbarge - we so badly need this! Again, the thing would likely be 3-5 feet long if made even decently underscale. If Hasbro's not up to the challenge, than let another company take a gamble on it. Besides a scale Falcon, this should be in the Top 3 priorities for any capital ship collection.

Tatooine Skiff - just re-release the dang one they brought out before. Include a good pack-in figure if they're going to include one - or make the Sarlaac's mouth and beak come with it. (The latter idea would be awesome IMO)

Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (Home One) - this would have to be huge. I'd guess they wouldn't do it. But even if you could dock an A-wing in it, it might get boring other than making a great (and large) visual center piece. Again, this thing (underscale) would have to be 7-9 feet long. It appeared in less movies than the Tantive IV or a Star Destroyer, thus I don't see Hasbro doing it.

TIE Interceptor - again I don't need it, but a re-release might help others out.

Well, that's about it. The OT's been milked pretty well - but not entirely.

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-05-2006, 02:26 PM
i want a v-wing so bad, and lucky me, i have a ep.3 pilot wich i was going to use in my new gunship, but now i ordered two ep.2 pilots, to bad my ep.3 cant have some leave form the army.

Tycho
07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Haha. CommanderCody's sig line with Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mustafar is funny!

:thumbsup:

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-05-2006, 04:12 PM
hell yeah! here's another line i would have put but not wnough space

Ben: "you and your sister were seperated when you were born to keep you safe from the emporor. your sister's identity remains safly anymnous."

Lue: "leia, leia's my sister."

ben: " your insight serves you well, but bury your feelings deep down, fo they could be used to serve the emporor."

Luke: " oh crap, couldn't you have tol me this earlier?"

ben: " i was to tell you once you were old enough."

luke: "you could have at least told me before i made ou with my sister! i wanna puke."

*bllloorrcchhh*

ben: "that's not very pretty"

dagobah scene in figurtivly speaking.:D :D :D :D

Tycho
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Pretty good, but it's been used since 1983 I think (when we all found out how Leia was really related to Luke).

I like the ROTS one best.

COMMANDERCODY2795
07-05-2006, 04:16 PM
yeah, lol~

Reefer Shark
07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
So, this is the scale I imagine Hasbro would do an Infiltrator at a $30 - $40 pricepoint (imagine that micro figure to be the size of 3 3/4" figure).

Cockpit being big enough for one figure, and maybe some storage areas in the body. If we're lucky, there would be space for his bike, but I doubt it..

TheCivilCollector
07-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Vehicles I'd like to see-

I'll stick with stuff they could actually make. I'm not holding out for a Tantive IV- stuff should be roughly the right scale. Make playsets for the big ships.

Episode 1-
Coruscant taxi. I know it sounds lame, but it would make for a good diorama.

Episode 2-
Amidala's "Flying Wing" Naboo Cruiser. It got blown up in 2 minutes, but I still think it's cooler than the one in TPM. The AT PT (???- six legged thing), too.

Episode 3-
DEFINITELY the Swamp Speeder (same one in the titanium line, but for 3 3/4") AND the Clone Turbo Tank. It could be the same scale as the AT-AT. Also, GRIEVOUs' STARSHIP.

Episode 4 -
Lars speeder FOR SURE! We got the lame Naboo speeder from TPM, why not this?

Episode 5-
Twin Cloud Car. Please? Hasbro? You already have the mold for pete's sake, just throw on a new paint job and pack-in the pilot. Please?

Episode 6-
Sail Barge. Just DO IT! And re-release the Imperial shuttle. One without the sound FX, just a good tooling and a good paint-job.

pegger
07-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Episode 2-
Amidala's "Flying Wing" Naboo Cruiser. It got blown up in 2 minutes, but I still think it's cooler than the one in TPM. The AT PT (???- six legged thing), too.

The 6 legged one is the AT-TE.

The AT-PT should be made too tho....

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
So, this is the scale I imagine Hasbro would do an Infiltrator at a $30 - $40 pricepoint (imagine that micro figure to be the size of 3 3/4" figure).

Cockpit being big enough for one figure, and maybe some storage areas in the body. If we're lucky, there would be space for his bike, but I doubt it..Your photo example is a good argument for what I was saying earlier. That SW:TF is pretty badly out of scale to its minifigure, yet still if we upsized what it's doing there to work with classic 3.75" figures, we end up with a Sith Infiltrator that's nearly 2 feet long, and most of that is the nose. We can extrapolate this based on how long a Maul figure would be sitting in the cockpit, I estimate 2", and from there we can measure out the ship as 10 or 11 times as long as the seated figure, nearly all of that dead space. I fear collectors see stuff like the SW:TF and don't realize what that will really translate into at figure scale, so when Hasbro finally delivers something far shorter and more misshapen, the fans will be pretty underwhelmed.

(The wing-to-wing width is about 12" here so my previous argument of 18 x 12 x 6 can be scaled back to 18 x 9 x 6.)

TheCivilCollector
07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
I'll bet good money that the sith infiltrator ends up being about the same size as the FX X-Wing mold. As far as dead area in the nose, I'm willing to bet they do an "escape craft" sort of thing, like the naboo starship, or do a fold-up sith speederbike. I'd be cool with that, the B-Wing and X-wing are about as large as I like SW vehicles to be.

The ATAT and falcon are cool, but take up WAAAAAYYYYYY too much display space.

Darth Cruel
07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
That's not in the 3 copies of TPM that I have.

It is definitely not!

A Hasbro toy of the ship need only be about the size of a Hasbro Jedi Starfighter (they could use elements from the E2 mold if they really had to :rolleyes: ) But I'd make it so it could only seat Darth Maul. If a completely new mold was called for, I'd see if I could add storage room for the Sith Speeder, or include it as a pack-in with a larger ship (and maybe a Maul figure if we're talking the push for a $50 set). For a $20 ship? Just make it seat a Maul figure sold separately (but release one single-carded at the same time you release the ship - duh!)

As to the V-wing? The ROTS version was much cooler than the Dark Empire / RS one. I don't know if the fictional manufacturers of the vehicles are of any relation, either. It would seem Sienar did the ROTS ones and Incom did the DE/RS ones. This vehicle should come with the black Clone Pilot (I guess) - or the white one. He was never shown in the movie.

In either case, I'd buy me a Sith Infiltrator and probably 2 V-wings from ROTS.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Tycho

DarthAngel
07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Well regardless of their size, the Infiltrator and the V-wing, are welcomed vehicles, IMHO. If I remember correctly (from the ROTS cross section book), there isn't much to the V-wing, so I highly doubt that Hasbro can mess this one up.

And does anyone know anything about the rerelease of the Imperial Shuttle? From what I understand (thanks to a few other SW collecting sites), it's supposed to be a Target exclusive, with 2 pack in figures (Would be sweet if it were Sim Aloo, and one of the other unproduced Imperial Dignitaries), and is supposed to be around the $60 price point. There is a DPCI for the item which comes up in the price checker's at local Target stores, but I just don't understand why Hasbro hasn't said anything about it. Anyone have any ideas?

Darth Cruel
07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
The ship Anakin takes to join Mace confromting Palpatine

That is the DC0052 Intergalactic Speeder

I found it interesting to see this:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/dc0052intergalacticspeeder/index.html

Has a drop-away panel under the cockpit for the Jedi to drop into a fight faster...If they ever make this ship (and I hope they do) I hope they include that feature.

And while we are at it the KE-8 Enforcer from Kamino would be pretty cool as well...small enough even to be a 10.00-15.00 vehicle like a swoop.

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I'll bet good money that the sith infiltrator ends up being about the same size as the FX X-Wing mold. That vehicle is 19.5" long, the cockpit area is 2.3" tall and the back is 3.1" tall, and it's sold for $50, $40, $30, and $45 (the $30 one had 1 less pack-in figure and fewer paint apps). The cockpit on the Sith Infiltrator would have to be about twice as tall for the figure to sit in it (it's curved on the outside so some of that space won't be usable) and almost 3 times as tall if the figure is meant to stand behind it (in the movie, the cockpit ball is 2 stories tall and Maul stands behind the doors on the lower story). And of course, the mold on the X-wing has been paid for via those multiple releases whereas they'll be trying to pay off a Sith Infiltrator mold so they'll be less willing to take risk there.

As far as dead area in the nose, I'm willing to bet they do an "escape craft" sort of thing, like the naboo starship, or do a fold-up sith speederbike. The nose would be far too thin to accomodate any escape ship the way the Naboo Starship does, and at the size you're talking about even the current Sith Speeder would be too thick unfortunately (it's a good mold, should be reused).

I'd be cool with that, the B-Wing and X-wing are about as large as I like SW vehicles to be.
The ATAT and falcon are cool, but take up WAAAAAYYYYYY too much display space.I don't get this mindset, in the movie the Sith Infiltrator is longer than the Imperial Shuttle and overall about as big, it's not a 1-man fighter ship the way the X-wing is, so why would you want to scale the Infiltrator back to the size of a snubfighter, especially the X-wing and B-wing toys which are themselves heavily underscale? Would you want an Imperial Shuttle that size, or a Star Destroyer, or an AT-TE? If so, at that point it sounds like you just want an Action Fleet line scaled up to the 4" figures.

Tycho
07-06-2006, 05:27 PM
If so, at that point it sounds like you just want an Action Fleet line scaled up to the 4" figures.

Sounds like a perfect idea to me. But not on capital ships like star destroyers, the Tantive IV, etc. I want either Hasbro or an independent company to make something along the lines of the scale I did my Blockade Runner in (not accurate, but at least boasting a large enough play environment to get Vader and a dozen stormtroopers fighting Leia, Antilles, and a little less than a dozen Fleet Troopers.

I don't care if a Sith Infiltrator is only as tall as Maul is standing next to it. It's a toy! I just want it. Again, the Action Fleet or Transformers stuff scaled up to 3 3/4" figure size is perfect for me.

The rest of you are whining about an unimportant vehicle's scale when really ships like the Falcon matter so much more in terms of scale and everything.

TheCivilCollector
07-06-2006, 05:48 PM
First off, you realize these are just my opinions...

The cockpit on the Sith Infiltrator would have to be about twice as tall for the figure to sit in it (it's curved on the outside so some of that space won't be usable) and almost 3 times as tall if the figure is meant to stand behind it,

It wouldn't have to be that large if the figures legs stuck into the forward nose portion.

The nose would be far too thin to accomodate any escape ship the way the Naboo Starship does, and at the size you're talking about even the current Sith Speeder would be too thick unfortunately (it's a good mold, should be reused).

Not if they made a new one that FOLDED UP somehow. Or maybe the entire nose detatches and makes another ship. For play value, of course. (which Hasbro's been known to do.)

I don't get this mindset, in the movie the Sith Infiltrator is longer than the Imperial Shuttle and overall about as big, it's not a 1-man fighter ship the way the X-wing is, so why would you want to scale the Infiltrator back to the size of a snubfighter, especially the X-wing and B-wing toys which are themselves heavily underscale? Would you want an Imperial Shuttle that size, or a Star Destroyer, or an AT-TE? If so, at that point it sounds like you just want an Action Fleet line scaled up to the 4" figures.

Well, I'm staring at my POTF2 Force FX X-Wing and that sucker is huge (and VERY close to 1:1 scale with the figures). At roughly the same length, the cockpit ball section on a sith infiltrator would be about 6" diameter, plenty big enough to fit a figure. The are any number of ways to accomidate a sith speederbike. I could easily see a 24" vehicle that would look alright proportionately. Historically, the larger vehicles never sold as well, anyway. I don't think retailers like to carry stuff that takes up so much room on aisles, either.

I think it's great to do big vehicles, bt personally they take up to much room for my tastes. Why do a behemoth and charge $80-90 for it when you can make something just a bit smaller and charge $40-50?

pegger
07-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I could see them putting some sort of firing mechanism in the nose... My opinion is it should be the same size as the Ep. 2 jedi starfighter - less the detachable wings. but then again, i don't care if things aren't to scale.

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a perfect idea to me. But not on capital ships like star destroyers, the Tantive IV, etc.Why draw the line there? What's the point? IMO, either you go in for all of it or none of it. I'm of the latter mind, I think it's not a good idea, basically taking ships like this and turning them into maxi-minirigs.

Sounds like a perfect idea to me. But not on capital ships like star destroyers, the Tantive IV, etc. I want either Hasbro or an independent company to make something along the lines of the scale I did my Blockade Runner in (not accurate, but at least boasting a large enough play environment to get Vader and a dozen stormtroopers fighting Leia, Antilles, and a little less than a dozen Fleet Troopers.Requoting that first part with the rest to make my point... how in the world is that anything like the Action Fleet analogy I used before, much less in line with what CivilCollector was talking about (all vehicles being no bigger than the B-wing and modern X-wing)?

I don't care if a Sith Infiltrator is only as tall as Maul is standing next to it. It's a toy! I just want it. Again, the Action Fleet or Transformers stuff scaled up to 3 3/4" figure size is perfect for me.No, it's not, because what you mentioned in your previous paragraph is the opposite, you want a big 5-foot-long Tantive IV and the like, the scaled-up Action Fleet comment means they'll be no bigger than a foot and a half long.

First off, you realize these are just my opinions...NO! HOW DARE YOU?!? ;) Yeah, I know, just trying to present my counterarguments, which are only my opinions too.

It wouldn't have to be that large if the figures legs stuck into the forward nose portion. I wasn't referring to length but to height. Since it's a sphere shape he won't be able to sit at the very bottom the way Luke does in the flat bottom of the modern X-wing's fuselage. I suppose you can squeeze maybe an inch more length out of the overall by doing what you're doing, but I think it'd look kinda silly and the cockpit would get even shorter.

Not if they made a new one that FOLDED UP somehow. Or maybe the entire nose detatches and makes another ship. For play value, of course. (which Hasbro's been known to do.)I read what you said about folding up, but I don't see how it'd work. It wouldn't be a problem to make the handgrips and foot controls on the current Sith Speeder removable, but the actual width of the speeder would probably be the width of the thickest part of the nose, and you'd need to cover it so the nose would bulge around it. As for making another ship, I am quite sure unless they went pretty fat on the nose that it'd be too thin to put a figure inside, maybe as a hang-glider with Maul underneath but that seems a bit too silly for SW (it'd work for GI Joe or Batman perhaps).

Well, I'm staring at my POTF2 Force FX X-Wing and that sucker is huge (and VERY close to 1:1 scale with the figures).Actually, I'd say it's about 1.75:1 or even 2:1, look how little room there is around Luke in the cockpit, look how Luke's legs are sitting on the inside of the bottom of the fuselage. It's the best Hasbro's done, it's pretty big and it's quite accurate, but when I made my previous post I didn't pull that 2.3" cockpit height out of my ear, I went into the other room with the tape measure and measured it out, it's not all that big.

At roughly the same length, the cockpit ball section on a sith infiltrator would be about 6" diameter, plenty big enough to fit a figure. The are any number of ways to accomidate a sith speederbike. I could easily see a 24" vehicle that would look alright proportionately.Yes, 6" by 24" by 9" would be impressive, these are numbers we've bandied about in this very thread even, however it wouldn't cost $20-$30 and that's what we were going on about.

I think it's great to do big vehicles, bt personally they take up to much room for my tastes. Why do a behemoth and charge $80-90 for it when you can make something just a bit smaller and charge $40-50?Hasbro's mind on this seems to be "why do a behemoth and charge $80-90 for it when you can make something a bit smaller and still charge $80-90 for it?" ;) In the case of the Sith Infiltrator, we were arguing that if it costs $20-30 as we suspect it may, it'll be too small, and conversely if it's a halfway-decent size it'll cost $40-$50 which Hasbro wouldn't likely justify for a ship barely in the movie.

I could see them putting some sort of firing mechanism in the nose... My opinion is it should be the same size as the Ep. 2 jedi starfighter - less the detachable wings. but then again, i don't care if things aren't to scale.I can see them putting some pedestrian missile-firing gimmick in the nose too, I don't care for that as a gimmick though. As for being the size of an Ep 2 JSF, that thing is tiny and I fear that's what we'll get, and while you don't care if it's that small a lot of collectors probably will.

Tycho
07-06-2006, 11:36 PM
OK JT: let me clarify:

There is no way the Sith Infiltrator is as important as the Tantive IV! There were no scenes in the movie on board the S.I. - but a major battle was fought inside the T-4. In fact the first SW battle ever seen on-screen was fought there.

Requoting that first part with the rest to make my point... how in the world is that anything like the Action Fleet analogy I used before, much less in line with what CivilCollector was talking about (all vehicles being no bigger than the B-wing and modern X-wing)?

I don't agree with CivilCollector. I don't care WHAT he has room for in his personal collection - I'd MAKE the room for a 7-9 ft Star Destroyer if I was given that option. I may be building a custom one for myself one of these years.

Again, I repeat: I DO want the Sith Infiltrator - but it's just not that important to get the scale treatment.

No, it's not, because what you mentioned in your previous paragraph is the opposite, you want a big 5-foot-long Tantive IV and the like, the scaled-up Action Fleet comment means they'll be no bigger than a foot and a half long.

For some ships yes. For the Tantive IV and a Star Destroyer - no!

But you can't make them to scale either. Michael Fright built that Tantive IV to scale and it required a semi-truck to haul around - remember? Not that anyone cares either, but I wouldn't have room for that - let alone a scale Star Destroyer! Heck, I think a scale Sailbarge would be larger than a queen-sized bed (or around that size in length).

These are toys. They can be made cool (not as pathetic as the sandcrawler either) but there's no way they're going to be done in scale.

I set up fleets with my fighter craft btw, and I never bought ONE FX X-wing, not because I didn't like it, but because nearly every ship they did was off-scale to it. Finally, just the other year, a more accurately scaled TIE Fighter came out. But will they ever make an in-scale B-wing? Not likely. So I don't even need to start with that. I'm NOT a collector. I pick and choose what I want. I just army build and otherwise spend a lot on SW and have a huge.... (collection is really the only word for it).

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 12:57 AM
There is no way the Sith Infiltrator is as important as the Tantive IV! There were no scenes in the movie on board the S.I. - but a major battle was fought inside the T-4. In fact the first SW battle ever seen on-screen was fought there.What's your point? That's part of what I've been arguing all along, that the Sith Infiltrator didn't do anything in the film to warrant a large-sized vehicle, and that a small-sized one will be not so good and thus get lots of griping.

I don't agree with CivilCollector.Then I guess it wasn't so wise of you to say "Sounds like a perfect idea to me" when quoting what I interpretted from his idea.

For some ships yes. For the Tantive IV and a Star Destroyer - no!That's fine for you, but for everybody else their ideal won't match yours, so unless you expect Hasbro to read your mind on every one of these and decide which one to do in sad little micro-scale vs $50 to $100 scale, Hasbro will have to compromise and either that compromise is Action Fleet-maxi-minirig style where everything's the $20 size or size is determined by what's warranted for the vehicle based on what the majority wants, not just you.

Heck, I think a scale Sailbarge would be larger than a queen-sized bed (or around that size in length).Beds are generally all the same 6' to 7' length regardless of size, it's the width that changes. It'd be the size of a wide couch I think.

These are toys. They can be made cool (not as pathetic as the sandcrawler either) but there's no way they're going to be done in scale.I love it, in the same post you say they should all be small $20 ships like what I thought CivilCollector was saying, but on the other hand they shouldn't suck like the medium-sized Sandcrawler. :p

But will they ever make an in-scale B-wing? Not likely.This is true, an in-scale B-wing would about as large as the Queen's Royal Starship toy. But there has to be a better middle ground than "everything should be $20-sized small vehicles".

Tycho
07-07-2006, 03:12 AM
What's your point? That's part of what I've been arguing all along, that the Sith Infiltrator didn't do anything in the film to warrant a large-sized vehicle, and that a small-sized one will be not so good and thus get lots of griping.

Let it get griping. It's bound to anyway (for price or size - take you pick). I know I want an Infiltrator, but I'm not going to gripe about the size. It just doesn't need to be that big to satisfy me though. I'd be happy to have a ship at (likely) around the $30 pricepoint. I just don't see the value in taking that ship over say, $50 MSRP.

Then I guess it wasn't so wise of you to say "Sounds like a perfect idea to me" when quoting what I interpretted from his idea.

I didn't go back and read it. I may have made a mistake. You may have misinterpretted me. I don't know. I'm tired right now. And I don't care.

It might be so simple that I agree with CivilCollector on one point he made, and disagree with him on the next point he made.

That's fine for you, but for everybody else their ideal won't match yours, so unless you expect Hasbro to read your mind on every one of these and decide which one to do in sad little micro-scale vs $50 to $100 scale, Hasbro will have to compromise and either that compromise is Action Fleet-maxi-minirig style where everything's the $20 size or size is determined by what's warranted for the vehicle based on what the majority wants, not just you.

True, but they never were consistant with large vehicles versus the smaller one: take the Falcon for example. It should be way bigger than an X-wing.

I love it, in the same post you say they should all be small $20 ships like what I thought CivilCollector was saying, but on the other hand they shouldn't suck like the medium-sized Sandcrawler. :p

The sandcrawler was good for a trip into what was close to nostalgia for the remote controlled one of 1979, but for $50 they could have also created a droid factory world out of a new mold for a larger sandcrawler. But this was a minor vehicle in the scheme of things, so I understand why Hasbro went the direction they did with it. Again, the Tantive IV, Sailbarge, a Star Destroyer - all these are not the same things.

This is true, an in-scale B-wing would about as large as the Queen's Royal Starship toy. But there has to be a better middle ground than "everything should be $20-sized small vehicles".

Fighters like Obi-Wan's and Anakin's can stay at the $20 price point, but ships like the ARC-170 were not - $30 I think - and the Republic Gunship was as much as $45 recently I heard. They can do anything they want with price points as long as they are accessorizing their sales with the figures, and watching their bottom line.

TheCivilCollector
07-07-2006, 03:15 AM
This thread is cracking me up! So much passion!

how in the world is that anything like the Action Fleet analogy I used before, much less in line with what CivilCollector was talking about (all vehicles being no bigger than the B-wing and modern X-wing)?

Well... despite how that sounded, iut wasn't exactly what I meant. I don't mean that nothing should be larger than a B Wing, just that for a non "capitol" ship, I don't see the need for excessive size.

Since it's a sphere shape he won't be able to sit at the very bottom the way Luke does in the flat bottom of the modern X-wing's fuselage. I suppose you can squeeze maybe an inch more length out of the overall by doing what you're doing, but I think it'd look kinda silly and the cockpit would get even shorter.

So, how does a figure sit so comfortably in the TIE Fighter's cockpit? That's pretty much a 6" sphere too, right?

I read what you said about folding up, but I don't see how it'd work.

That could work all sorts of ways: It could come apart and store in different compartments. The crescent could telescope together, the top of the sphere could come off and it could fit around the cockpit, just takes a little imagination.;)

Actually, I'd say it's about 1.75:1 or even 2:1, look how little room there is around Luke in the cockpit, look how Luke's legs are sitting on the inside of the bottom of the fuselage.

Yeah, you're definitely right, but I think it's as close as we'll reasonably get to a 1:1 fighter. Except, the Jedi and Naboo starfighters look pretty close, too. I wonder if those were designed small with toys in mind?

About a 7-9' Tantive IV, a agree it would be an impressive piece, but the size would be absolutely ludicrous. The space I have not withstanding (which I mentioned earlier just to give everyone a personal perspective, not trying to make a point). I'll compare it to the GI Joe Aircraft carrier. I knew ONE SINGLE kid with that thing, and he was the kind of kid that had everything (and yes, I was jealous). Point is, that was an extremely simple piece. Just the tower portion which was relatively small, and a series of panels that made up the deck. A Tantive IV would involve a significant amount of tooling and complex molds. I couldn't see something like that thing retail for less than $300.00. They'd probably sell about 10 at that price. I think the Tantive IV is better left to customizers.

Tycho
07-07-2006, 04:46 AM
A Tantive IV would involve a significant amount of tooling and complex molds. I couldn't see something like that thing retail for less than $300.00. They'd probably sell about 10 at that price. I think the Tantive IV is better left to customizers.

Well, I made one and physically took it to Hasbro once at Comic Con 1999 to try and force the issue. They estimated a retail of $250 and stocking issues with it did not sound pretty.

In this thread, you can view a custom star destroyer, my own personal Blockade Runner I built, and a Jabba the Hutt sailbarge.

While you could comment there, please come back here and stay in this discussion after you've looked at the pictures here:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24493

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, you're definitely right, but I think it's as close as we'll reasonably get to a 1:1 fighter. Except, the Jedi and Naboo starfighters look pretty close, too. I wonder if those were designed small with toys in mind?I did the math on the Hasbro X-wing last night, couldn't get it out of my head, it's 19.5" or 49.5cm, the movie vehicle is 12.5m, the Hasbro toy is 1/18th scale so scaled up it'd be 351" or 8.9m, which is a ratio of 1:1.4, not as bad as I thought. I was going to say the Naboo Fighter and Ep 2 JSF are about 1:1.5 off but since I clearly don't have an eye for that stuff, I'll venture a statement that they're about that same ratio off as the X-wing (based on cockpit sizes and such) but I think Hasbro just built 'em to the $20 box size. The Ep 3 JSF is a little trickier, it's clearly out of scale but by a lot less because of how small the movie version is. The only one in scale is the Snowspeeder, and it's actually a touch overscale I think.

Let it get griping. It's bound to anyway (for price or size - take you pick). I know I want an Infiltrator, but I'm not going to gripe about the size. It just doesn't need to be that big to satisfy me though. I'd be happy to have a ship at (likely) around the $30 pricepoint. I just don't see the value in taking that ship over say, $50 MSRP.You say "let 'em gripe" but the end result is that if either way, Hasbro is going to catch heat for it, then it's going to affect future vehicle releases. This is why I didn't think it was a good idea to do this toy at this scale in the first place. And I truly wonder if you'll be as satisfied as you claim if it really is as small as a Jedi Starfighter.

I didn't go back and read it. I may have made a mistake. You may have misinterpretted me. I don't know. I'm tired right now. And I don't care.You quoted my "Action Fleet" comment and said "Sounds like a perfect idea to me", I didn't misinterpret you, you misinterpretted me I guess, it's no big but don't call ME out for it. :p

True, but they never were consistant with large vehicles versus the smaller one: take the Falcon for example. It should be way bigger than an X-wing.The current Falcon doesn't count for an example of them not being consistant, it was done by Kenner in '78 when the X-wing and TIE Fighter were dinky, and they weren't even sure of its scale (which is still impossible to judge since the movie prop is smaller than the interior sets :p) since they hadn't seen the completed movie.

The sandcrawler was good for a trip into what was close to nostalgia for the remote controlled one of 1979, but for $50 they could have also created a droid factory world out of a new mold for a larger sandcrawler. But this was a minor vehicle in the scheme of things, so I understand why Hasbro went the direction they did with it. Again, the Tantive IV, Sailbarge, a Star Destroyer - all these are not the same things.Yes, but the Sith Infiltrator *is* one of those same things as the Sandcrawler, even moreso since the SI doesn't really do anything in the movie and is only featured in a few quick shots, the Sandcrawler was at least iconic and played a real part in the story. So which will be acceptable for the SI, big or tiny-cheap? You say tiny-cheap but you argue for big.

Fighters like Obi-Wan's and Anakin's can stay at the $20 price point, but ships like the ARC-170 were not - $30 I think - and the Republic Gunship was as much as $45 recently I heard. They can do anything they want with price points as long as they are accessorizing their sales with the figures, and watching their bottom line.The Rep Gunship prices have been: $40, $30, $30, and $45 for the TRU exclusive CW paint job. The Gunship is a good size, it's way underscale but it holds a lot of figures and is pretty big. Not every ship in SW will fit that well though - in fact I'll argue most will not.

This thread is cracking me up! So much passion!HOW DARE YOU?!? Oh wait, I made that joke already. ;)

Well... despite how that sounded, iut wasn't exactly what I meant. I don't mean that nothing should be larger than a B Wing, just that for a non "capitol" ship, I don't see the need for excessive size.I figured you meant they shouldn't do capital ships at all, and that everything smaller than that - whether it be X-wing or AT-AT or Imperial Shuttle - should be that $20-30 size you like.

So, how does a figure sit so comfortably in the TIE Fighter's cockpit? That's pretty much a 6" sphere too, right?It's about 4" in diameter and they use a little flat chair inside. I was originally talking about your statement that it could be as big as the modern X-wing cockpit at 2.3", I said "The cockpit on the Sith Infiltrator would have to be about twice as tall for the figure to sit in it (it's curved on the outside so some of that space won't be usable) and almost 3 times as tall if the figure is meant to stand behind it".

I bet you're onto something there, they'll probably go with standard TIE Fighter dimensions, we'll get a Sith Infiltrator about the size of the Darth Vader's TIE Fighter but narrower and longer. And thus the SI snubfighter will be born.

That could work all sorts of ways: It could come apart and store in different compartments. The crescent could telescope together, the top of the sphere could come off and it could fit around the cockpit, just takes a little imagination.;)The cockpit? That *is* some imaginiation as we were both talking about putting it in the nose at the time of the quote. :p I assumed the controls would come off, and it wasn't the length of the speeder that seemed impossible to me, it was the width of it, telescoping the bike into itself wouldn't solve it and would probably make it WIDER.

About a 7-9' Tantive IV, a agree it would be an impressive piece, but the size would be absolutely ludicrous. The space I have not withstanding (which I mentioned earlier just to give everyone a personal perspective, not trying to make a point). I'll compare it to the GI Joe Aircraft carrier. I knew ONE SINGLE kid with that thing, and he was the kind of kid that had everything (and yes, I was jealous). Point is, that was an extremely simple piece. Just the tower portion which was relatively small, and a series of panels that made up the deck. A Tantive IV would involve a significant amount of tooling and complex molds. I couldn't see something like that thing retail for less than $300.00. They'd probably sell about 10 at that price. I think the Tantive IV is better left to customizers.When I was a kid I ended up with a used GI Joe Defiant Launch Space Complex set, this thing was MASSIVE and took up too much space, eventually my grandmother gave it away without my permission (with about 95% of my Joes inside :eek: ). Maybe that's just too big, maybe kids aren't meant to have $100 playset-vehicles (it certainly smoked the pitiful size of the Naboo Royal Starship toy, that's for sure).

TheCivilCollector
07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I was originally talking about your statement that it could be as big as the modern X-wing cockpit at 2.3"

Well, I never said the cockpit would be the same size as the X-Wing's. What I said that the ship would be "roughly the same size". I meant overall, not part for part. I think we've been misunderstanding each other here and arguing the same point.

I bet you're onto something there, they'll probably go with standard TIE Fighter dimensions, we'll get a Sith Infiltrator about the size of the Darth Vader's TIE Fighter but narrower and longer. And thus the SI snubfighter will be born.

You're kind of agreeing with what I meant in my first post. I could definitely see the SI about the size of the TIE plus the addition of the nose section. That would make it about the same size as the FX X-Wing (with affordances in either direction).

The cockpit? That *is* some imaginiation as we were both talking about putting it in the nose at the time of the quote. :p I assumed the controls would come off, and it wasn't the length of the speeder that seemed impossible to me, it was the width of it, telescoping the bike into itself wouldn't solve it and would probably make it WIDER.

True, but I said there were "any number of solutions". Meaning, if they want to include the thing, they will figure out a way to do it. Hasbro is pretty clever- enough to design transforming robots. They could figure out how to fit a 4-inch(if memory serves) speeder into a 20" ship.

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, I never said the cockpit would be the same size as the X-Wing's. What I said that the ship would be "roughly the same size". I meant overall, not part for part. I think we've been misunderstanding each other here and arguing the same point.I took "size" to mean everything - height, width, and length - that would correspond to the Sith Infiltrator.

You're kind of agreeing with what I meant in my first post. I could definitely see the SI about the size of the TIE plus the addition of the nose section. That would make it about the same size as the FX X-Wing (with affordances in either direction).Yeah, but at the size you're talking about, once you take Maul out it's gonna look silly with Maul as tall as the Sith Infiltrator, that's been my argument all along.