PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro is going with another card design.

Turbowars
06-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Oh how I hope it somewhat stays the same. I guess what I don't want to see is a Red E1 or Blue Saga card ever again. Hasbro says an example of the new card will at the SDCC. I'm hoping for a highbred of the OTC and Saga 06.

Banthaholic
06-23-2006, 11:05 PM
I just don't want the ROTS flames, EP1 Maul, or generic Saga type of thing.. They were cool for that line, but I love the backgrounds. Unless they would come out with a vintage styled card, now that I'd be drooling over.

timmae
06-23-2006, 11:13 PM
as a carded collector...who would vote against the backgrounds. they are the best. i think that has something to do with the higher pricepoint. that and the fancy bubbles. as a carded collector, i will pay extra for a fancy card. now if i was an opener...i'd vote for boring packaging. i'd like to see the vintage packaging with the vintage whole punch thingy(especially since i got a case source):D

figrin bran
06-24-2006, 01:04 AM
as a loose collector, i'm tempted now to complete a MOC set of the Saga line! i really loved this packaging and can't imagine hasbro could ever come up with something to top it.

abell748
06-24-2006, 05:51 AM
I love the OTC and TSC cards. I can understand changing it because of the 30th ann. next year. I was hoping that they would leave the TSC package in place for a few years since they went to three digits for the numbering (TSC#005). If they do change anything, they leave out the holograms however.

LTBasker
06-24-2006, 09:23 AM
I hope it's a mix of the OTC/Saga2 cardback and the Saga1/OTC bubble. I'm tired of curved bubbles, while you can stack the Saga2 figures unlike the ROTS figures, they're not very stable because of having no flat edge for the weight to sit on.

Although I wouldn't mind a Saga2 style without taped flaps or holograms pack-in and an edged/rounded bubble. Something like a \_/ design where it still looks round, but can be stacked.

mikey1974
06-24-2006, 07:27 PM
you know.....this is getting f*****g ridiculous already....how many card changes have we had already?

Power of the Force II
Episode I
Power of the Jedi
Episode II / Saga
Clone Wars
Original Trilogy Collection
Revenge of the Sith
Saga II

and now another redo.......makes me long for the original kenner lines,or the POTF2 ,which basically stayed the same from 1995 - 1999........what maddens me most is i truly believe the newest,saga 2,was the best looking card backings and packaging for the figures,and it fit a motif that could use all 6 movies and CW in this packaging.....now we've got to change it again? BAH!

jjreason
06-24-2006, 07:47 PM
It's just marketing. The way toy lines compete for shelf space these days (thank largely to the popularity of the original line), Hasbro needs to constantly update the design to keep them looking fresh. We know the idiosyncracies of each wave, but to parents of kids who don't - only *new* looking things catch their eyes. Buy the figures, NOT the cards. :yes:

Blue2th
06-24-2006, 08:15 PM
2007 being the 30th Anniversary, we might be seeing something in gold perhaps? Not like the Saga gold cards which were more dark blue than gold. I hope they are as LTBasker said with flat bubbles. It's getting hard to store complete collections of these carded figures with the last two ROTS and Saga2 cards.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Apparently, they're going to include coins from now on instead of holograms. I bet the new packaging will show these off, but I hope from the back. I hope it's similar to the OTC and TSC cards, but if not, I bet they'll return to a similar design in the future -- I mean, we had the craptastic ROTS card between the OTC and TSC lines.

TheDarthVader
06-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Coins? Did hasbro answer a question about coins? Is this a rumor or truth?

Yep, I am with you guys. Hasbro finally makes a card that most everyone loves and now they are changing it again. BOOOOOOOOOO!

Turbowars
06-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Info about the coin was from RS. Technically it's a rumor, RS has been really good with correct info. I sure wish SSG would get some inside info, hint hint. This place needs more traffic!

Darth Cruel
06-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Everyone should be used to Hasbro changing the cards every year by now. I am on board with everyone who likes the current cards. I have no interest in any others including the vintage ones. I will miss these.

Banthaholic
06-25-2006, 10:32 AM
I would be excited by coins. It's be interesting to see if they have individual figure coins or generic movie coins or 6 different ones and make it similar to the holos. It's be cool to see a Mustafar Lava worker coin and all, just wonder if it'll happen.

Turbowars
06-25-2006, 11:18 AM
I'd like to see Hasbro do specific coins for specific figures, unlike the crappy holo figures. I mean that's how they did it in the Vintage days and heck they even did it with the POTF2 Freeze Frames. It would be awesome if they went even more retro and designed a card that was similar to the OT POTF. Then the coin could be on the front and there could be a large picture of the character.

Blue2th
06-25-2006, 11:26 AM
I think they should keep the basic design of the OTC and Saga2 cards and maybe use gold highlights on the card with 30th Anniversary on it. Use the same basic design that is overwhelmingly popular, just change the coloring a little bit to identify it as a 2007 card.

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 11:54 AM
So the coins can go in the box in the garage with the CommTech Chips, Freeze Frames, E1 preview slider things, and holo figures. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

Tycho
06-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I think they should return to the green POTF2 style but with Jaxxon, the pink space bunny rabbit that worked with Han Solo in the Marvel Comics of the '80's in the top left hand corner of every card.

They could call it the PBOTF collection (Playboys of the Force collection).

Every figure should come with a pack-in Mouse Droid, too.

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Tycho, have I told you lately that you scare the hell out of me? :D

JediTricks
06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
It's just marketing. The way toy lines compete for shelf space these days (thank largely to the popularity of the original line), Hasbro needs to constantly update the design to keep them looking fresh. We know the idiosyncracies of each wave, but to parents of kids who don't - only *new* looking things catch their eyes. Buy the figures, NOT the cards. :yes:Close, Hasbro has said before that they change the cards nearly every year to fool RETAILERS into think it's fresh product because apparently the retailers are sick of seeing 2 years in a row of TSC pegwarmers, yet they're fooled into thinking NFP (new fangled packaging) is somehow new and therefore not going to pegwarm.

vadersvette
06-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I think they should keep the basic design of the OTC and Saga2 cards and maybe use gold highlights on the card with 30th Anniversary on it. Use the same basic design that is overwhelmingly popular, just change the coloring a little bit to identify it as a 2007 card.

I agree. I still think next year's figures should be part of The Saga Collection. Look at POTF2. It lasted five years, and its packaging design changed every year:
1995: Red card with silver logo
1996: Green card with gold logo (for the 20th anniversary and SE)
1997: Green card with Freeze Frame pack-in
1998: Green-burst card with Flashback Photo pack-in
1999: Green-burst card with Commtech pack-in

Saga also did the same thing for its 3 years:
2002: Blue swirls
2003: Blue burst
late 2003-2004: Dark blue and gold

Hopefully TSC will follow in these footsteps.:whip:

dindae
06-26-2006, 08:27 AM
I think they should return to the green POTF2 style but with Jaxxon, the pink space bunny rabbit that worked with Han Solo in the Marvel Comics of the '80's in the top left hand corner of every card.

Pink? No self respecting carnivorous rabbit is PINK!

Tycho
06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
OK, so is he yellow? Tan? Caramel? Mmmmm. Almost makes me wish it was Easter Season again. I could go for a Cadabury Chocolate Bunny right about now...

Slicker
06-26-2006, 09:37 AM
He would be green. I've seen pictures of him both a very light green and a dark green.

And yes, a Cadbury Cream egg sounds delicious right about now.

Tycho
06-26-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm not really supposed to show this before Hasbro does their big reveal at Comic Con, but we forumites at SSG have obtained a rare sample set of the 2007 figures on the new cardback.

Here's C-3PO for his umpteenth re-release.

The new pack-in will be bunny-pellets for your sniffing pleasure.

abell748
06-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I can't wait to buy all the rehashes to have them all on Jaxxon cards!!!!!!!!

Warstar
06-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I agree. I still think next year's figures should be part of The Saga Collection. Look at POTF2. It lasted five years, and its packaging design changed every year:

You missed one:

1996: Red card with gold logo (Transitional- on 8 figures only)

;)

JEDIpartner
06-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't care about the cards. *shrug*

mikey1974
07-05-2006, 10:54 AM

yeah,but that was during the "golden age" of toy collecting,where anything with the SW logo on it would sell,no matter if the packaging stayed the same....hell,they could've made a SE carded 2-pack from a "deleted scene" featuring han's soiled pants from the torture scene and a bottle of lando's colt 45 and it would've sold gangbusters....face it,SW is,to a degree,dead....at least in the mainstream...only the hardcore fans and collectors still flock to....so i guess,in that sense,the new card designs make sense....they know completists will buy them all,because they're completists...and they can fool the casual buyer into buying yet another tatooine luke,even though it's the same one they bought 6 times already,because the kid's like the new look,and think it's a new figure....still makes me mad though that these gourgeous cards are going away....BAH,HUMBUG!!!

Rogue II
07-05-2006, 11:14 AM
As long as they don't require a chainsaw to open and that they are marked so that you can see what figures are on the back of the pegs, I don't care what the cards look like.

El Chuxter
07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, I don't even collect the cards, but. . . .

(If you remember that, you're at least as old as I am. :D)

sith_killer_99
07-11-2006, 11:16 PM
OTC is the best package design to date IMO. Plus the Canadian version totally rocked!

Anyway, I hope to see them do away with the taped flaps, that has been my biggest grip with the new line.

BTW, Hasbro....please, please for the love of the holy trilogy do not go back to the blue SAGA style.

I know a lot of collectors wanted blue cards, but we were wrong, so very very wrong.:cry:

Tycho
07-11-2006, 11:33 PM
OTC is the best package design to date IMO.

I second that even though I don't keep them carded. The figures look sweet in scenes like that.

With EU coming out next year, I wonder how they'll handle OTC style packaging? I'm sure they could just use the source material (well for comics and video games) to come up with an appropriate background to scan in or recreate.

I did not mind the blue cards for a while. It was a nice change - but only for a while. 2 years was good. Now we're done and OTC style is far superior.

Banthaholic
07-11-2006, 11:47 PM
I guess we'll find out at Comic Con what we'll be getting.

But it doesn't hurt to vocalize that I'd like to see something similar to the vintage cards, front & back. Yup I'd like to see tthe entire years spoils on the back. It could start out with just the fist wave and keep adding so by the end of the year they have the full 58 or so figures, and on the bottom they can advertise vehicles.

The front should be an image of that figure. Movie pic for movie characters, and a sketch or some sort of still for EU. One reason the VOTC/VTSC sell to some is for the way they look carded. Carded collectors would like this sort of card, and might even encourage a few others to leave some of their figuress carded.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-12-2006, 12:27 AM
I hope it's a mix of the OTC/Saga2 cardback and the Saga1/OTC bubble. I'm tired of curved bubbles, while you can stack the Saga2 figures unlike the ROTS figures, they're not very stable because of having no flat edge for the weight to sit on.That's why I like the Saga and OTC cards, they way they nicely fit into the boxes I would store them in. One would face one way, the next would be upside down facing the other way. Then I would put them in the box on their sides so that I could see name on the side of both cards. This didn't work as well on POTF2, E1 and POTJ cards due to differing bubble sizes. I've opened most of my ROTS figures, but I have a few unopened, along with unopened duplicates of all army builders. These are more difficult to store nicely into boxes. TSC are a bit better than ROTS in that regard, but I like the overall look of them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
I second that even though I don't keep them carded. The figures look sweet in scenes like that.

With EU coming out next year, I wonder how they'll handle OTC style packaging? I'm sure they could just use the source material (well for comics and video games) to come up with an appropriate background to scan in or recreate.

I did not mind the blue cards for a while. It was a nice change - but only for a while. 2 years was good. Now we're done and OTC style is far superior.
For Foul Moudama, they just used a picture of Paplatine's office from AOTC/ROTS, since he goes there in the cartoon (IIRC). I don't know what they did for Scorch, as I don't have him. I assume they'll use a picture from one of the films, if the character goes there (or somewhere similar) in their source material.

But then again, most of the EU figures next year will be in those two-packs that have the comics packed in, so I don't know how they'll handle that. Something similar to the SOTE packs from '96?