PDA

View Full Version : too early for TPM nostalgia ?

2-1B
06-24-2006, 11:03 PM
It's been just over 7 years since the release of The Phantom Menace...is it too soon to be feeling nostalgic for that period of time?

I know it's not too soon for Slicker, since he's still trying to track down that elusive Naboo Battlefield/Transforming MTT (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=787) lollollol

But really, is anyone else feeling the nostalgia? :) I am. :D

Someone mentioned it in a Gentle Giant minibust thread regarding the Qui-Gon Jinn on the way and lately I've been feeling the same way for a few reasons.

I've been watching ROTS on and off many times these last few weeks on HBO and I'm STILL picking up little "rhymes" with TPM, stuff that most people have already picked up on but not my slow witted mind. ;) For example, Anakin's Starfighter is yellow in ROTS and in TPM he piloted a yellow Naboo fighter. Little stuff like that. :)

The main thing that's got me feeling nostalgic for TPM is my recent inventory that I took of my entire collection. The toys are a small part of it, of course the toys take me back but it's more the promotional stuff that had me on a 1999 kick. I know TPM is associated with a glut of over merchandising and it sucks that it had an effect on what they did for AOTC but at the time I had TONS of fun with the TPM experience and I have VERY fond memories of it. :)

This all lead me to watch the movie again for the first time since JimJam and I hammered out the Sextology Marathon of all 6 films back in November 2005...and overall I still love the movie. Well, maybe I don't love the WHOLE movie ;) as it does have some poor moments but in general I am fond of much of it. Some people are bothered by midichlorians but I'm bothered more by Ewan McGregor's puffy face and fake hair from the reshot scenes. :crazed:

My point in starting this thread wasn't really to talk about the movie itself but rather the atmosphere and collectibles of that particular year...if this thread goes into the territory of whether or not the movie sucked (which I expect it will after stillakid returns from holiday lol lol lol ), well I'm going to stay out of the actual movie discussions. But I might have more to say on the nostalgia I'm feeling for the whole experience. :thumbsup:

Anyone else feeling nostalgic or are you just glad to be away from that period of time? :D

Rocketboy
06-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Even though I like TPM, I think I'm more nostalgic for the summer of 1999.
Damn, that was a great year. It was so much fun gathering stuff and seeing NEW Star Wars stuff everywhere. And all that money spent seeing it over and over and over.

2-1B
06-25-2006, 01:04 AM
that's what I'm tawkin' 'bout ! :D

The time period itself, the hype and ambience of the whole thing. The Taco Bell / Pizza Hut / KFC (no Slicker, they didn't have those bowls yet :rolleyes: ) trips I made to hunt down the premiums.

Most of those little kids meals toys were crap but they were still fun to collect and I made sure to get the under 3 variation at T Bell. The BK ROTJ toys were way cooler but still, the TPM toys came in those clunky boxes that could be put together to build a mural (I never bothered :D ).

The cup toppers were AWESOME and I was delighted to browse through the set of 12 when I was doing my inventory a few weeks back. :) They should have done those for AOTC and ROTJ, I would have collected them.

Kidhuman
06-25-2006, 03:55 AM
The nostalgia began when it was removed from theatres.

scruffziller
06-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Yea, 1999 in general I am feeling the nostalgia.

Slicker
06-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I remember buying nearly everything for TPM. I love the movie and figures then and I still love the movie and figures now (I really want a new Jar Jar). I bought all of the fast food premiums, all of the figures, every magazine with Star Wars on the cover, and every other ridiculous thing that was released for TPM. I think the TPM toys is what got me really, really, really hardcore going. I had everything before but I think TPM kinda cemented me into it for good.

scruffziller
06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
I remember buying nearly everything for TPM. I love the movie and figures then and I still love the movie and figures now (I really want a new Jar Jar). I bought all of the fast food premiums, all of the figures, every magazine with Star Wars on the cover, and every other ridiculous thing that was released for TPM. I think the TPM toys is what got me really, really, really hardcore going. I had everything before but I think TPM kinda cemented me into it for good.

I KNEW!!!!!!!, that (way before eps1 came out) that if I started getting a few figs here and there that I would not be able to stop myself from collecting. I vowed not to buy anything. Then one day, one of my friends brought a bunch of the figures from wave 1 of EPS1. I saw the Darth Maul fig and I just HAD to have them!!!!!! So for about 2 years I collected frenzily. Then quit cold turkey. I still get the Cantina and Jabbas palace figs and real cool exclusives but that is the extent of it.

figrin bran
06-26-2006, 04:04 AM
i'm not nostalgic for having to go to taco bell at least twice a week to see which toys that had but i am nostalgic for the summer of '99. i worked a bit in the hollywood area which meant i passed by the mann's chinese and the countingdown.com lineup daily. that's also when i started to hit stores daily at opening. i remember one day at the local kay bee, there had to have been 20 people waiting for the employees to bring out the tatooine maul case and when they brought the cases out, they just dropped them on the floor and a total feeding frenzy began. many MOC figures were bent and crushed in that chaotic moment. i didn't even get the maul and had to settle for the obi wan and qui gon w. robes which for that time was an astounding sculpt.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2006, 10:52 AM
It's been just over 7 years since the release of The Phantom Menace...is it too soon to be feeling nostalgic for that period of time?

Anyone else feeling nostalgic or are you just glad to be away from that period of time? :DHey, tell that to VH1 and their "I Love the '90s" series that started about 3 years after the nineties ended.

I had never felt that way about a movie opening before... it had been 16 years since a new SW film came out, instead of 3 between the OT films. I had chills when Maul appears in the Theed hanger doorway, I still was somewhat shocked when Qui-Gon was stabbed (knew it was coming but still saddened), smiled when R2 was introduced, etc. Being able to walk into a toy store and just dump SW stuff into my cart? Yeah, nostalgia and I are good friends; we go way back... :o

JimJamBonds
07-01-2006, 08:54 PM
No its not to soon to have those thoughts Caesar, when I think back to waiting in line for tickets etc. I think of those as being happy memories.

"I've got a little league game!"

2-1B
07-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, the things we saw and heard while standing/sitting in line will never be forgotten ! lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Too early for TPM nostalgia? Damn, I'm nostalgic for ROTS! :D

I really loved the movie years, and TPM was really fantastic. I loved getting all the Pepsi cans and fast food items (in addition to the figures, of course). This led to my obsession with collecting SW food items; I still have some ROTS M&M's and Halloween candy that I haven't opened.

Back in 1999, they also had several Fan Club warehouse sales in Denver, which were just fantastic as I live in Colorado. Celebration I was also in Denver, which was really fun. I remember getting a TPM book there and accidentally reading the last page, which said something about Qui-Gon's death.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Ah yes, 1999...the year my room began to shrink, for that was when I began collecting Star Wars figures for the first time since 1980 or 1981. I had passed on all of the POTF2 stuff because I figured I couldn't really afford to get all of those figures. But on 5/12/99, I went to the mall after work to get my advanced ticket for TPM. I thought that it was that day that I decided to buy the Episode I figures, but my records show It was Saturday 5/15. I bought all of the first 18 Episode I figures, except for Darth Maul. As it turns out, I did actually buy 18 figures that day. I ended up with two Wattos, and returned one a few days later. That day, I also purchased The Action Figure Archive

At first, I was only going to collect the new stuff, but then I started getting some of the Action Fleet vehicles. I eventually bought Darth Maul from Star Wars Insider since I couldn't find him anywhere. One day while I was at Blockbuster, the gal at the checkout noticed I was getting a Star Wars magazine and we briefly talked about figures. She mentioned a place called Docking Bay 93 in Burlington, about a half hour drive south of Bellingham. They still had a lot of POTF2 figures available, and I eventually started buying those there and at KB, and filling in what I missed with Brian's Toys.

As far as the movie goes, I ended up seeing it seven times in the theater. The second time had some difficulties. There was a baby making noise for much of the movie, and then the sound cut out as the space battle began, and then the movie stopped as the Naboo fighter was crashing to the surface of Naboo. After a couple of minutes, the movie resumed, but they ended up giving out refunds to people.

On June 10, 1999, a pipeline in a park near where I work exploded shortly after I left work and was running in and around that park. A little bit freaky, but I got out of there without any troubles. It seems as if it was a bit more traumatic back at work for those that got off work later than I did. So, the next day, they said people could leave early if they wanted to. I had no problem staying, but with everyone else leaving, I didn't have much to do, so I went to see TPM for the fourth time that afternoon.

Episode I may have been the only movie I saw in theaters that year. I considered seeing some other movies, but then I'd go see TPM again. I considered going to see the Matrix, but the one time I planned to, I was in town too early, and didn't feel like waiting another hour or two.

All in all, it was a good year, and it was great to have a new Star Wars movie to go see.

jjreason
07-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Well it wasn't fair for me, I had no chance.

See, May 3rd is my birthday.

It was also the day (in 1999 anyhow) that both the novellization of TPM and ALL the new figures were released. I had decided to NOT collect the figures from the "new movies" when I saw how many there were right off the bat, I was shocked they'd release 18 (really 21 if you include the 4 Battle Droids) at once.

Well, I stood strong for about a week. Finally, my friend broke the dam and got me a Darth Maul.... and the flood gates crashed open for good. The only time I've taken a hiatus from collecting since then was later that same year, I was gone for 6 months to police college earning no money whatsoever with a new baby at home.

Luckily, as soon as I got to my first job posting, that Zellers store there had a big blowout sale on TPM figures which allowed me to nearly catch up again - ebay took care of the rest.

I too went hog wild on cup toppers and the KFC/Bell/Pizza Hut promos, it WAS fun doing the run around to get all that stuff.

Unrelated: the Taco Bell restaurant that provided me with most of my paraphernalia from that franchise was the one Michael Moore used in his film "Bowling for Columbine"!

Jango Speck
07-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, we can all see TPM again in summer 2007 when the theatrical 3-D version comes out.

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Anyone else feeling nostalgic or are you just glad to be away from that period of time? :D

I used to be hard on TPM, even though it introduced my second favorite Star Wars character, Qui-Gon....then I started watching it with my 4 year old and as much as I hate those damn Gungans, they work well for my little girl and now she's really into Star Wars....

*Plus you have to admit that the fight between Jinn, Kenobi and Maul is one of the tops in all the trilogies....:thumbsup: