PDA

View Full Version : Anikan's Lightsaber?

Darth Mojhaan
01-25-2002, 02:15 AM
I was bored the other night so I was browsin some websites on lightsaber replicas. I noticed Anikan's lightsaber, (the one given to Luke in ANH), was not as elegently crafted like the other Jedi. One conclusion was because he was just a padawan, but Obi-Wan Kenobi's was very stylish and elegent in TPM. Even Luke's was elegent in a way in ROTJ, so could Ani's lightsaber be a sign of impatience. It seems as if it took him half a day to construct, so he will have a new toy to play with. Also, the design did not change much when he became a Dark Lord of the Sith. It's a bit darker, more of the handle was black and of course the color of the blade changed. Could this be due to the lack of patience, or is it just me?

Lord Malakite
01-25-2002, 02:38 AM
Interesting. Your theory sounds quite believable.

El Chuxter
01-25-2002, 10:58 AM
I heard somewhere that the lightsabers, like the spacecraft, are more artistic in the prequel trilogy and more utilitarian in the Classic Trilogy. Also, many EU sources say that Padawans build lightsabers styled after their master's saber. Obi-Wan's first saber looks like Qui-Gon's, Luke's saber looks like Obi-Wan's last saber, etc.

I've always thought that Ani's saber looked like a less stylized version of Obi-Wan's saber, but you raise a good question there.

I don't think the lack of design changes from the Ani saber to the Vader saber is anything more than the convenience of working with a familiar design. And there is one major change in the saber--we can see in the CT that Vader can adjust the amplitude of his blade, but Luke doesn't seem to have that capability in either of his lightsabers.

JetsAndHeels
01-25-2002, 11:39 AM
So what do you think of Dooku's saber? That thing looks pretty wild with the J-shaped handle. It is different, but that is why I like it. I may have to get one just for the handle.

Darth Mojhaan
01-25-2002, 10:40 PM
In the classic trilogy, nothing was streamlined unless it was a imperial ship, (not counting the speeders in Cloud City), and this was the stage that was set up for the audience to show somewhat of a depression after the fall of the republic. Nearly all the ships were old and rebuilt, or customized to fit an enviroment but it was the Empire that grasped technoligy to rule over the galaxy.
I do know that Lightsabers were built to resemble one's master, and you were right about Luke's handle resembling Obi-Wan's. But Anikan's lightsaber does not resemble any lightsaber I have seen. Check out the website and you will see what I mean. A working replica has not been constructed yet so you will have to look at the replicas without the blade...you will see what I mean and compare all of the handles!!!
Also I love Count Dooku's lightsaber, it is far different than anyone could imagine and I am exited about watching it in action!!:D :D :D :Dhttp://www.darthsworkshop.fsnet.co.uk/SW_EL_OWK1.htm

Obi-Don
01-28-2002, 06:49 AM
Vader's lightsabre looked very mechanical like him.I believe that a lightsabre is the makers artistic view of themself. So if you look at the person making the sabre. It might give you a insight on the reasons for the design of the sabre.

SithDroid
01-30-2002, 01:47 AM
The real truth about the lightsabers..... they didn't have the money to make good lightsabers in 1976 when they were filming, so that is why the sabers are generic. It has nothing to do with continuity. Besides Lucas never new in 1977 that their would FOR SURE be a sequel or more less a PREQUEL.