PDA

View Full Version : I feel I've been cheated

Slicker
06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Ok, now this is gonna be a rare sentimental Slicker moment. I don't get too serious on this site but for whatever reason I'm gonna do it now.

This is no doubts gonna be just a rambling thread but I hope I can somehow get my point across.

I was listening to Hurt by Johnny Cash then I found this site (http://www.minibite.com/oldies/index.htm) and I started to kinda feel cheated. I feel cheated because I didn't live during the time of most of this music and the peak of alot of the these great musicians and actors/actresses. I listen to what's on the radio nowadays and I think about what my children will think and it's almost embarrassing. There are NO artists that I think my children will like but here I am loving the site in that link and listening to Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong over and over when this is music that my mother listened to. I've long said that I'd take oldies anyday over the carp on the radio these days and I totally stand by that. These songs had real meaning and sentiment in them unlike oh...I don't know...NONE of the songs nowadays.

I've long felt that I missed out on this countries greatest talent. I put this in the music section mainly because of that link but I also feel this way about alot of the actors and actresses. The main ones that come to mind right away are Judy Garland and Lucille Ball. I watch The Wizard of Oz and I listen to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (sung by Judy that is my ALL TIME favorite Christmas song) and I get that feeling that once again I've been cheated and more importantly my children or more likely there children will never have the experience and joy of listening to and watching some of these people. I'm sure tons more will come to mind as I read the posts left and I'll no doubts chime back in.

Kidhuman
06-28-2006, 06:51 PM
I hear you Slick. I love old Classic Rock and 60's music. I too wish I could have been there at their height of popularity. Music was so much better back then. Alot of kids still listen to the Beatles, Zepplin, Floyd, the Doors and such.

Last year for some reson I really started to get into Dean Martins Christmas Albums. They are great for the holiday season.

jjreason
06-28-2006, 10:56 PM
The people that you guys mention are the cream of the crop from their generations. In another 30 years people are going to watch "old" movies with Catherine Zeta Jones in them and remark about how beautiful she was. They'll hear a song by Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston and comment on how beautiful their voices were. As time passes, people lose interest in the gossip and other tripe that belittles the stars of ANY era... and I think it's always been that way. Back in the day Marilyn Monroe was gabbed about like she was a hussy - and she may well have been - but that's long since forgotten. It'll be the same with Mariah's weird breakdowns, Whitney's drug problems and Catherine Zeta Jones' choice to marry that old fogey Michael Douglas. :whip:

2-1B
06-29-2006, 12:07 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about how KFC only filled your bowl 3/4ths of the way.

Exhaust Port
06-29-2006, 06:39 AM
Hmmm, the website is down.

I agree with jjreason, people have a tendancy to only remember or focus on the best of the past. Just like folks always say "things were simplier back then...." Not really, there were just as many issues in any era but the issues were different than we have now.

Folks are already pining for musical acts of the 80's and 90's but where were they when those bands were playing originally? Probably at home paying no attention the changes in music. Next thing they know all those bands exploded in popularity and disappeared before they knew what hit them.

Remember the explosion of grunge music in 1991? I remember seeing promotions for Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc. all the time. Now folks talk about not seeing those bands in the peak of the grunge era. Unfortunately one can never tell where the peak is until it's passed (isn't that a Rush lyric?). Woodstock was one of a kind and showcased some legendary acts but it was only realized as such after the fact, especially after they died. All you can do is stay actively involved in the music, movie and art scene and stuff won't pass you by.

The wonderful thing about modern technology is that all these great performances in music or on the silver screen are easily available to share with the current and next generation. You can pop in a DVD of Transformers and a young kid will never know that it was from 20 years ago. I think some day the media catalog of the last 100 years will be seamless. Other than changes in SFX, CGI or even Black and White film the viewing public will have little to distinguish between yesterday and today. I'm much to young to have seen the Honeymooners on TV originally but I've become a fan even though decades seperate me from the original showing. I get to see it as never seen before, on demand, thanks to DVD. Back in the day once the show was over, that was it, no more unless it was rerun but that didn't happen until much later.

The present is so much better than the past when it comes to the arts. We are seeing more and more of the arts becoming instantly on demand. I go to work with 4500 songs in my pocket. Everything from Frank Sinatra to Pantera. Folks have hours of TV shows and movies in their pockets too. DVD jukeboxes are available and so are decaded dvd/movie servers (albeit too expensive for the common man). Some day in the near future we'll have nearly all the music, tv and movies EVER MADE at the tip of our fingers. Talk about AWESOME.

I think our kids will be so much more well rounded when it comes to movies, tv and music than we can ever hope to be thanks to the changes in technology and services. I can't see a lot of the shows (yet?) that my parents watched as a kid because they aren't on DVD or weren't even saved in the first place. (Think of all the great music we'll never know about from the early part of last century). Thanks to DVD's my kids will be able to experience my favorite shows and perhaps they'll like them as well. How cool would that be! ....and knowing is half the battle.

Exhaust Port
06-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Oh I also noticed the irony of Slicker pining for the past as he sports a Erwin Rommel avatar. Ahh, the Nazi Occupation......how we miss thee..... or not.;)

El Chuxter
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, why do you think 90% of my CD collection (that's right; I'm still in the stone age) is stuff from before 1995?

darko666
06-30-2006, 07:58 PM
be sure to get the last new Johnny Cash album "American V: A Hundred Highways" on July 4th. it's sad realizing he will never record or perform music again.

Slicker
06-30-2006, 08:01 PM
it's sad realizing he will never record or perform music again.I think that's what it is. It's the fact that what we have is it there'll never be any "new" movies, songs, or anything by these people.

El Chuxter
06-30-2006, 09:06 PM
But if the rumors are true, American VI is expected by the end of the year, which is a fairly good note.

And don't forget that Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, and Bob Dylan, all very talented friends of the late Mister Cash, have new albums in the near future.

2-1B
07-01-2006, 03:04 AM
Bruce was out last month, err now it's July so I guess not, but regardless of its release date "The Seeger Sessions" is a wonderful recording. :)

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 09:27 AM
I saw a headline that he'd announced another one already. I didn't click it, since it was video, and I hate online video. Just let me read it, fer cryin' out loud. lol

2-1B
07-01-2006, 10:38 AM
cool! with or without E Street, I wonder ? :confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
For the most part, I agree with what's been said. However, I'm glad to be around now, when there's easy access to music and movies from every period of time. Now you're able to compare new and old, and take what you like, and throw out what you don't. There's a much wider selection today, and it will continue to grow as the years go by.

For Star Wars, I would've liked to have seen them in the theaters back in the 70s and 80s, but I'm glad I was able to see them in the Special Editions, and the prequels when they were new.

As far as music goes, I do feel that the best has passed. As KH said, many people still listen to classic rock -- Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles are my three favorite bands. I would've loved to have seen them live, which is why I'm hoping that the Floyd will reunite for a tour soon (they keep going on separate ones, or ones with two or three members, but it would be so much better if they all did it together). Anyway, they're just so damn much better than most of the acts today. That's not to say that there are some good musicians today, but they're just not as good as "back in the day." But of course there were still crappy bands at that time as well.

Slicker
07-22-2006, 02:30 PM
I've been thinking alot about this and it's not only music but it extends into historical events too. The main one for me would be the war (how many thousands of wars have been fought but this one is still called "THE" war). It would've been something to live in those times and realize that the world had a real chance of being dominated by one person and to then fight and survive a war where nearly 75,000,000 people died (nearly the entire population of America at the time and roughly 5% or so of the ENTIRE planet going with a world pop. of 2 billion). More events are the Kennedy assassination, Vietnam, WWI, Civil War, the beginning of the SW frenzy in '77 and several others that don't come to mind right now.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Sure, a lot of the popular music these days may not seem to live up to the greats of the past, but then again, a lot of classic rock bands didn't have many top 40 hits. That was in the day when album oriented rock became prominent, and bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd gathered a following that way. Also, back in the 70's and 80's, if you were sick of the pop music on the radio, there weren't as many options. You had to seek out alternative music. College radio, searching through record stores, and word of mouth were about all you had. Nirvana making it big helped expose a lot of that alternative music to a wider audience. Now, with iTunes and internet radio and mp3s being shared, you can find just about anything you want. You may still have to work a little to find something better than what is on the radio, but it's still a lot easier than it used to be.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-22-2006, 09:30 PM
I feel your pain Slick. Today's generation isn't going to be schooled in old time rock n' roll and instead have been brought up on a steady diet of boy bands, thug rappers, and talentless windbags like Ashlee Simpson. They don't have a real appreciation of how music had real message and actually helped contribute to the feelings of the times (I am thinking of the 60's).

Friends laugh when they see my CD collection sans any real of today's hits. They laugh at my Lovin' Spoonful, Marvin Gaye, Lennon, Spanky and Our Gang, and Dylan (okay I'll admit Spanky doesn't belong) CDs but I point out that these guys were the revolutionaries of their times and today's collective musicians do not have the collective talent to match a genius like Dylan.

Our local Oldies station switched formats recently and pretty much canned half of their playlist in favor of pseudoOldies like John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, and U2. I love each of those folks, but if I am in the mood to listen to them, I will switch stations to a myriad of local programs that play their list. That Oldies station was the last of a dying breed and now I don't even have them to listen to those classics anymore.

I know there are alternative forums for Oldies music out there, a local classic rock station for instance, (I'm sure XM has a few that I don't know of) but they too are shifting program to include modern classics like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc. I just hope that ten/twenty years from now they eliminate the music from the 60's, & 70's because of lack of viewer interest. That music transcends generations.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-23-2006, 05:17 PM
That Oldies station was the last of a dying breed and now I don't even have them to listen to those classics anymore.

I know there are alternative forums for Oldies music out there, a local classic rock station for instance, (I'm sure XM has a few that I don't know of) but they too are shifting program to include modern classics like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc. You should check out Live365.com. There are thousands of internet radio stations there covering just about every kind of music. Some are professional stations, some are just music enthusiasts who enjoy putting together and entertaining show, and some are just hacks like me. It's free to listen to, but there are ads. For $5 a month or less if you get a longer term package, you can listen ad-free. If you have iTunes, there are a variety of different internet stations preset into the Radio section. I used to listen to Indie Pop Rocks on somafm.com a lot. They have a few other stations as well, but are mostly ambient, electronic or techno type stuff. Recently, I also discovered pandora.com, where you enter a song or an artist, and it will start playing songs based on that using something called the Music Genome Project I believe it is called.

So, there are lots of options to find quality music, both new and old. Much of it is stuff you would never hear on regular radio, except for maybe a college station or NPR or something.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the information MSP, I do have itunes and I am checking out the radio section out now.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the information MSP, I do have itunes and I am checking out the radio section out now.You're welcome. I forgot to mention one other source. I enjoy the digital music channels I get on Comcast cable. They have most of the genres and periods covered pretty well, though the alternative channel is not as alternative as it could be, and I wish the Soundscapes channel had a bit more of the spacey music that I hear on internet stations like Astreaux World.