PDA

View Full Version : Not at all happy with the current direction of SW EU

Pages : 1 [2]

El Chuxter
07-14-2012, 12:32 PM
There are so many "last Jedi" now that the Purge has become something of a joke.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I liked the "Coruscant Nights" trilogy, so the Jax one sounds like it could be good; but I agree about the last* Jedi status.

Dawn of the Jedi? Sure, why not. Everything else is "[something] of the Jedi" anyway.

All the Jedi children will accuse the adults of being Sith witches, but Master Proc Jon-Tor will stand his ground and not confess? All while Republic senator Macarr Jothii fans the fires of mistrust ("There are red sabers all throughout this government" ) of a Sith Scare? :p Denning's usually a solid writer.

OC47150
07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
There are so many "last Jedi" now that the Purge has become something of a joke.

The Purge has been overused as a basic story element in the last few years, IMO. There are/could be interesting stories to tell from this time period, cause all of the Jedi weren't killed off. Just need a break from it.

El Chuxter
07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Someone needs to write a story (unfortunately, it couldn't be official, but, still, it might prove the point) where Ferus Olin, Rahm Kota, Pavan Jax, Ikrit, Shaak Ti, Obi-Wan Kenobi, K'krukh, A'sharad Hett, Vergere, Kam Solusar, Yoda, and whoever else is hanging around, all team up to stop Vader on some sort of mission, but can't be seen by him and resort to insanely ridiculous stunts to avoid detection.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Someone needs to write a story (unfortunately, it couldn't be official, but, still, it might prove the point) where Ferus Olin, Rahm Kota, Pavan Jax, Ikrit, Shaak Ti, Obi-Wan Kenobi, K'krukh, A'sharad Hett, Vergere, Kam Solusar, Yoda, and whoever else is hanging around, all team up to stop Vader on some sort of mission, but can't be seen by him and resort to insanely ridiculous stunts to avoid detection.Not with those exact characters, but read the (ironically-titled, based on these recent posts) comic one-shot Purge for that very same idea. I know it got included in some trade paperback, too, but I can't recall that one now.

El Chuxter
07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Sad thing is, I had Purge in mind when I posted that, and consciously tried to avoid anyone who appeared in it since I wasn't sure off-hand how long after ROTS it took place. I was sticking with folks who made it to (or at least very close to) ANH.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Then that sounds like a perfect story for a continued SW Infinities series.

OC47150
07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Someone needs to write a story (unfortunately, it couldn't be official, but, still, it might prove the point) where Ferus Olin, Rahm Kota, Pavan Jax, Ikrit, Shaak Ti, Obi-Wan Kenobi, K'krukh, A'sharad Hett, Vergere, Kam Solusar, Yoda, and whoever else is hanging around, all team up to stop Vader on some sort of mission, but can't be seen by him and resort to insanely ridiculous stunts to avoid detection.

That's what fan fiction is for.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2012, 10:57 PM
That's what fan fiction is for.I almost downloaded something with a stormtrooper image on the cover, until I realized it was a) just a short story, and b) a fictional story by a fan.

I finished the ebook versions of the 8 Lost Tribe of the Sith stories; now I'll have a good jump start to the Collected Stories that comes out next week.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2012, 05:15 PM
I finished the ebook versions of the 8 Lost Tribe of the Sith stories; now I'll have a good jump start to the Collected Stories that comes out next week.I finished the "epilogue" chapter titled "Pandemonium" yesterday. I give the collection a so-so rating. Just not enough connections to established SW lore, even being 4000 years BBY. It's clear that JJ Miller wrote comic stories, as this one needed visuals to make up for a dull storyline.

Also finally finished The Essential Guide to Warfare, which traces the history of the SW universe from wars and fighting from about 10,000 BBY (earlier?) to the waste that is the Fate of the Jedi series and Legacy comics. Pretty good, and a fast read for a textbook-style book. Nice paintings throughout, from several artists.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Despite the title of this thread, if you want to bypass the malaise that has plagued EU in the last decade and a half, go out and buy or library check-out Aaron Allston's new X-Wing novel, Mercy Kill. It's the first hardcover one in the series, and I forgot how FUN and funny his version of the Wraith's was. I'm only 8 chapters in, but I can't stop smiling. And there's a storyline that I'm interested in seeing its conclusion. I noticed that they've released a compilation book of previous XW novels, too.

So go. Go! Visit a library! Find a brick and mortar book seller! Get online and download the ebook, or purchase your own! Now! :thumbsup: :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
I would rank X-Wing: Mercy Kill among the best EU ever published. Seriously (notice no ironic emoticons after it). Probably top 20 all-time. Fun, humorous, a storyline with depth and sympathy for the characters involved, plot twists (not just for shock value), new and established characters, and an opening for future stories by the end (or an end to the run). Aaron Allston is up there with the best SW authors. :thumbsup: It references the YV war, and somehow makes that awful time period in EU history as somewhat decent.

p.s. I also finished the YA book The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger. More serious in its tone (perhaps like ESB) than the first two books, still kid-centric, sometimes funny. Chewbacca as a "cootie catcher" fortune teller is pretty good (with Han Foldo as his "translator" ).

OC47150
08-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I attended the authors panel at C6, and some cool stuff is in the pipeline literature wise: new series, new material and maybe some of the old Insider/Adventure Journal stories being released in electronic form.

Can't wait for Scoundrels. Sounds like it's gonna be cool.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Finished SW The Old Republic: Annihilation by Drew K. It got better by the end, but I got the sense it was a video game book most of the way through (which it was, of course). Not much in the way of surprises, but Mr. K (not going to attempt his last name, nor search and copy/paste it) writes a good story and narration.

Tycho
12-02-2012, 01:35 AM
I have rebooted my SW comics and books review in a (reversed) Chronological format in my blogs.

Feel free to post your comments in there.

I'm re-reading the entire chronology in order, and posting reviews as I go along.

I've tackled:

Dawn of the Jedi - leaving space for up to 8 or 9 possible story arcs - the reason why 6,7,8 etc. are untitled but taking up space - as this series could extend until 2015. So I left some room.

The Great Hyperspace War (Golden Age / Fall of The Sith Empire - Naga Sadow's time)

The Sith War (Ulic Qel Droma's rise and fall)

The Mandalorian War (Zayne Carrick at the onset of stories from KOTOR)

and now I'm dealing with the traditional e-book novels for

Lost Tribe of the Sith (to later follow with the comics, perhaps after The Old Republic series - I have to check the chronology)

Anyway, amongst Ulic Qel Droma, Exar Kun, Nomi Sunrider, Zayne Carrick, successive Mandalores, this is a great era in Star Wars to explore, and so unrestricted to fit into the framework of the 6 movies.

So check into my blog if you want for Rogues' Gallery 2.0!

I am sometimes leery of the title of this thread because while it embodies current Star Wars EU reading, it makes as if to suggest it is all bad. It is definitely NOT all bad. That's for sure!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2012, 09:57 PM
It's not as easy to copy & paste the upcoming books, but here's a list of what I could find:

Crucible (Denning, T., hardback, 7/9/2013)
X-Wing: Mercy Kill (Allston, A., paperback, 6/25/13)
SW Omnibus: Infinities (Dark Horse Comics, 2/26/13)
The Last Jedi: Star Wars (Reaves, M., paperback, 2/26/13)
FOTJ: Apocalypse (Denning, T., paperback, 1/29/13)
Scoundrels (Zahn, T., hardback, 1/1/13)

OC47150
12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Just finished SW: Riptide. Thought it was okay. I read Cross Current when it first came out but just remember the main characters, not much of the plot. The sick clones/Mother storyline in Riptide might make more sense if I'd just read Cross Current.

I should be getting some $$$ from the mother-in-law for Christmas. I intend to buy Zahn's Scoundrels.

Tycho
12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm reading Old Republic: Revan and not progressing through it very well.

I love Drew Karpyshan's "Darth Bane" books - he's an excellent writer. But even great writers fumble sometimes.

Revan may be his time.

I'm blogging about all the SW EU in chronological order and started with Dawn of the Jedi (comics) but I'm currently stuck on Revan. That is not a good sign in this case.

OC47150
01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
It dawned on me the other day: there hasn't been any young adult/juvenile SW-focused books in about a year now. I rather enjoy these books, and find some of them better written than some adult novels.

Jude Watson, where are you???

Tycho
01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
OC - like in TV shows, our tastes are identical.

I loved Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice (best) and Jedi Quest books.

You're exactly right that the concise tight plots and heroic stories made for great reads.

I'm going to use the same format (but not young adult subject matter mind you) for backstories on my own novel characters.

OC47150
01-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I have this odd little holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) tradition of reading a SW novel during that time. I read Riptide over Thanksgiving. I was tempted to pick up and re-read Last of the Jedi, but instead went to Tales from Jabba's Palace, and am thoroughly enjoying that.

I know Ryder Windham has written a couple of stand-alone young adult books in the last couple of years. I might have to check into those.

OC47150
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Pleasantly suprised to find Scoundrels at Wal-mart Saturday nite. Used a little of my Christmas money and bought it. The wife is going out of town in a couple of weeks, so I'm planning on being anti-social that weekend and reading it!

OC47150
02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Used a gift card, a coupon and some Christmas money and finally bought the Old Republic Encyclopedia. One word: amazing, and I haven't got halfway through the book. The artwork is great. Gonna take my time and enjoy this one.

Finished Ryder Windham's Luke Skywalker book. I hate to admit it, but it was a struggle to finish and I really can't narrow it to one issue. It was part original story (Luke's early years) but other parts were based on the old SW comic strip from the late 70s and early 80s. Windham's a capable writer and I've enjoyed most of his other SW-related writing, but this one....

Tycho
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
I like Ryder Windham and correspond with him. Haven't read the Luke book though.

I am reading Old Republic: Deceived. So far so good. I don't play much video games other than baseball (I almost have the Padres in the World Series but San Francisco is giving me a lot of trouble!)

But Old Republic:Revan was hard to get through but the ending was satisfying.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Other upcoming books, some interesting, most at "eh" status:

10/29/13 Annihilation: Star Wars The Old Republic (paperback) Drew Karpyshyn
10/29/13 Rebels: Star Wars (hardcover) Martha Wells
10/8/13 The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (hardcover) J. W. Rinzler, Brad Bird (Foreword by)
10/1/13 Star Wars: The Jedi Path and Book of Sith Deluxe Box Set (hardcover) Daniel Wallace
9/1/13 Star Wars: Jedi Academy (hardcover) Jeffrey Brown
7/15/13 LEGO Star Wars: the Yoda Chronicles (hardcover) DK Publishing
7/9/13 Crucible: Star Wars (hardcover) Troy Denning
6/25/13 Mercy Kill: Star Wars X-Wing (paperback) Aaron Allston
5/14/13 Star Wars Storyboards: The Prequel Trilogy (paperback) J. W. Rinzler
5/7/13 Into the Void: Star Wars Dawn of the Jedi (paperback) Tim Lebbon

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Finished two, one a resource book, the other a novel: The: Last Jedi (Reaves, M. & MK Bohnhoff) and The Essential Reader's Companion (Hidalgo, P.). The adventures of Jax Pavan, I-Five, Den Dhur, and... Darth Vader? were pretty good (with a reeeeeeally slow middle part that dragged) and it's rare that I don't have any idea how a SW book will end. Shocking aspects to start, and others of lesser shock value throughout; this was a more-than decent continuation of the "Coruscant Nights" trilogy (and Shadow Games novel).

Hidalgo's epic tome is a must-read for anyone who follows the EU, not counting comic books (although he does reference several important ones like Dark Empire, Union, Chewbacca, and Quinlan Vos' activities), cartoons, or video games. It was like re-reading 30+ years of stories. One of the best publications for Star Wars, IMHO.

Tycho
03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
I am reading Old Republic: Deceived about Darth Malgus.

With my own fiction writing project and constantly re-reading what I'm writing, I've had little time to read for my own pleasure.

In ancient SW history, pre-TPM (by thousands of years) - I am a fan of...

Sek'Nos Rath (Dawn of the Jedi) and Xesh (Force Hound - same series)... to some degree

Naga Sadow - Golden Age of the Sith / Hyperspace War - to a larger degree

Ulic Qel Droma and Exar Kun - by far my favorites to an extreme (their action figures are on my desk while I type)

Vima Sunrider - although she only has the briefest of appearances, she could be interesting.

Zayne Carrick - I've really grown to like him in the KOTOR comics and he's such an improbable hero, he's fun

Darth Malak and Revan - to a degree. Their story is half told by the video game which I will one day have to get and play. I enjoy reading more when I get the chance. Revan, and Bastilla Shan - when I get the chance to know her better (if I do - and hopefully outside of the video game) might be pretty interesting.

But my heart's not in to these characters as much as Ulic, Exar, and the later in coming Zayne.

If new stories were told about anyone I listed above, I'd pick up the ones about Ulic, Exar, and Zayne first.

** I am re-reading the entire chronology of the EU by the actual books / comics in order.

Like I said, I do not loathe this era at all. Quite the contrary. But the TOTJ / First Sith War story was the very best we got. I wish we got as much about that period as we did for KOTOR. There were Mandalorians during the Sith War - that's how their thoughts turned to conquest in the first place. A new Mandalore rose after the one who served Ulic, as well as Ulic and Exar, were all vanquished. If Ulic Qel Droma hadn't started events in motion, we never would have had the Mandalorian Wars in the first place.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-23-2013, 04:13 PM
If you need a quick rundown of the history of Star Wars and some of its significant creators, consider reading A Brief Guide to Star Wars by Brian J. Robb. But if you want a quick rundown of the history of Star Wars and some of its significant creators, that includes spelling errors not based on British English, repetitive details, as well as incorrect information about SW and a comparison of Jaxxon with JarJar, then definitely read ABGTSW.

[edit] Found a couple more upcoming books to list here:
4/23/13 Vader's Little Princess (hardcover) Jeffrey Brown [like that Darth Vader & Son book]
6/3/13 The Clone Wars: Episode Guide (hardcover) Jason Fry
7/2/13 William Shakespeare's Star Wars (hardcover) Ian Doescher

dr_evazan22
03-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Amazon has the LEGO Yoda Chronicles available for pre order at $10.83, or thereabouts. About $8 off.

OC47150
03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
6/3/13 The Clone Wars: Episode Guide (hardcover) Jason Fry

That one sounds interesting. I have a copy of the season 1 ep guide and have been aiming to check to see if there are guides for the other seasons. Lot of good info in it.

I finished SW: Shadow Games last night. It was decent. Liked that Dash Rendar was the focus. I personally think he's a character that could be explored a little further.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
A pleasant surprise: Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void by Tim Lebbon. Usually, first-time SW writers starting new books, especially without established characters, tend to be so-so at best. This is set about 25,000 years BBY, with early Je'daii Rangers and no Sith bad guys. The plot centers around a family and one who's not good. There's a veiled comment about a certain villain from the OT, and a few touch-in-cheek lines ("... and droids don't dream" comes to mind). I was hesitant, but this series (I assume there will be more) looks pretty good; and there's a comic series to go along with it, I guess (well, as long as Dark Horse has the license).

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Some more books due out soon:

8/27/13 Star Wars: Jedi Academy (hardcover) Jeffrey Brown
8/27/13 Kenobi: Star Wars (hardcover) John Jackson Miller
9/3/13 Star Wars Lightsaber Thumb Wrestling (hardcover) Chronicle Books
10/1/13 Razor’s Edge (hardcover) Martha Wells
10/8/13 Star Wars Art: Concept LucasFilm Ltd, (hardcover) Joe Johnston (Introduction), Ryan Church (Preface), Doug Chiang (Foreword)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2013, 05:00 PM
In the same style as his Vader and Son, Jeffrey Brown's Vader's Little Princess was quite funny. Dozens of one-page color drawings of how tough it is for a single Darth raising a "rebellious" teenager (as its opening crawl said).

OC47151
07-03-2013, 07:36 PM
A pleasant surprise: Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void by Tim Lebbon. Usually, first-time SW writers starting new books, especially without established characters, tend to be so-so at best. This is set about 25,000 years BBY, with early Je'daii Rangers and no Sith bad guys. The plot centers around a family and one who's not good. There's a veiled comment about a certain villain from the OT, and a few touch-in-cheek lines ("... and droids don't dream" comes to mind). I was hesitant, but this series (I assume there will be more) looks pretty good; and there's a comic series to go along with it, I guess (well, as long as Dark Horse has the license).

I considered buying this one, but didn't. Since you gave it a good recommendation, I might reconsider. I am reading the comic series.

Some more books due out soon:

8/27/13 Star Wars: Jedi Academy (hardcover) Jeffrey Brown
8/27/13 Kenobi: Star Wars (hardcover) John Jackson Miller
9/3/13 Star Wars Lightsaber Thumb Wrestling (hardcover) Chronicle Books
10/1/13 Razor’s Edge (hardcover) Martha Wells
10/8/13 Star Wars Art: Concept LucasFilm Ltd, (hardcover) Joe Johnston (Introduction), Ryan Church (Preface), Doug Chiang (Foreword)

Not getting any new figures but the books sure keep coming!

Tycho
07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
I read the Dawn of the Jedi comics because my favorite Dark Horse team (Ostrander and Duursema) are behind it.

I don't think the novel includes the comic book characters, but it might be interesting.

Like OC, I was hesitant to start reading novels in this era.

My favorite PRE-SW PT trilogy era is TOTJ - the Ulic Qel Droma epic with Exar Kun, Mandalore, and Nomi Sunrider. FAVORITE!

KOTOR comics with Jedi drop-out Zayne Carrick comes next.

I'd actually appreciate MOST the story of Vima Sunrider (trained by Qel Droma after he leaves the Sith and is redeemed - something I don't think has ever happened with any other Sith Lord). Well Qel Droma is then killed, but Vima Sunrider goes on, and her mother Nomi eventually becomes the head of the Jedi Council, but Vima is an unconventional free spirit, as he dead Master was an ex-Sith Lord. Now THAT is interesting!

Meanwhile, the Sith's conquering of the Mandalorians (by the dark Lord Qel Droma, Ulic didn't use the title Darth), is what set the Mandalorians off and loose against the galaxy, leading to the Mandalorian Wars in KOTOR, and the rise of Darth Revan and Darth Malak.

Oh yeah - Revan's an ex-Sith Lord. But Darth Revan was kind of possessed and warped, tricked into the Dark Side. I suppose Ulic was, but his mission to avenge the death of his Jedi Master Arca and his love affair (when he left Nomi Sunrider to become...) involved with the Sith Witch Aleema Keto, was Ulic's free choice.

It was actually revealed that the "real Sith Emperor" had influenced and might still have held some control over Revan and Malak during the Mandalorian Wars. I don't think they were ever as powerful as Dark Lord Exar Kun and his apprentice Lord Qel Droma, the latter upon which the Mandalorians really swore their allegiance to the Sith under (and at that time, they meant it).

Anyway, Vima Sunrider's story continues that legacy and I would have loved to see her story continue.

The Darn of the Jedi era does create a problem for me: those pyramid / diamond ships scouting around the galaxy just luring and picking up various pre-light-speed-space-travel species and dumping them on Tython to become the Je'Dai (spelling). See I liked midi-chlorians being introduced because I like explanations. There needs to be some kind of explanation for the Tython ships in my opinion. I'm friends with John Ostrander, I'll write to him about it. Doesn't mean I indluence anything. It's just an opinion and everyone has one.

Anyway, after Revan and Malak, and the defeat of the "real Sith Empire" of the time (crash survivors from way back to Naga Sadow's invasion forces and off-site from Korriban and the planets near its system like Rhen Var - original Sith species' Empire), there is some lineage of Sith down to Lord Kaan (who battled the Jedi Lord Hoth) from the war only Darth Bane survived (of the Sith).

You know the rest down to Tenebus, Plageuis, Sidious, Maul (revealed to almost NOT be a real Sith Lord), Tyranus (the real Sith Apprentice of the PT), and Vader...then Caedus (Jacen Solo, next?) and Kraayt (A'Sharad Hett) and then (Wrylock?) with any potential Episode 7 Sith coming (likely) after Darth Caedus*

*If Carrie Fisher plays Leia at Carrie's age, Jaina Solo (Empress Fel) will be about 32 years old and both her brothers (twin Jacen Solo, and Anakin Solo) long dead since the Yuuzhan Vong War, with sort-of orphaned 9 year old Allanah Solo being raised as Han and Leia's grand-daughter. Allanah Solo can grow up along with her older cousin (nearly 20 years old Ben Skywalker) in the next movie trilogy.

There are rumors that if the EU is referenced, you might see Jaina Solo KILL her brother "Darth Caedus" in the opening sequence of Episode 7.

Another rumor suggests E7 is about that, and lessons being learned from it as taught by Luke to his son Ben Skywalker (Mara Jade's son with Luke). This presents the possibility that Mark and Carrie will play their characters 15 years or more younger than the actors actually are.

Everyone clamoring for something new, not in the books, but in accord with a "Lucas original outline for 12 episodes" (which I do not necessarily believe ever exists - and maybe everything in E1-6 was condensed from 12 episodes and shown to us already - which would make sense if his comments it was all about the rise and fall of Anakin was completely true)....

could still see something new not from books, if we have Jaina Solo in the story AFTER the events that have happened in the books. She could be "tortured from the wars," but it never mentioned that she had a twin brother and killed him.

She might not be in the film at all, btw. But Carrie said she's "grandma Leia." If she's not joking, and Allanah Solo is in the movie (about 9 years old if Carrie plays Leia at Carrie's own age), then yes, Han and Leia could say "they're raising a grand-daughter because they lost their children." Indeed, that's true since Allanah's father is dead (Jacen) and her mother (Tenel Ka) wants Allanah hidden in seclusion because those wishing to topple the Hapan Empire (Tenel Ka is the Queen Mother now) would assassinate any heir and Allanah's Jedi training is not complete - presumably Leia is now a Jedi and training her grand-daughter as well.

Anyway, the book-end eras of SW are very interesting to me. (Well Vima Sunrider's part of the early times anyway).

The new cartoon series is supposed to take place between Episodes 3 and 4. (SW Rebels) I hope it will be good as well, but it's not as interesting as this stuff.

Star Wars Rebels will be a young cast of "Rebels."

Some thoughts:

1) Bail Organa - not really young though he's about 40 in ROTS - FOUNDER
2) Bria Tharen - Han Solo's first girlfriend - she'd be about 7 or 8 years old in ROTS
3) Mon Mothma - FOUNDER - she's 27 in ROTS
4) Padme Amidala - FOUNDER - what if they buried a hand-maiden who was killed and faked her death. Vader can tragically kill her again.
5) Garm Bel Ibis - FOUNDER (not young! He was an Imperial Senator that spoke at Han Solo's grade school class once, 40 in ROTS)
6) Starkiller - forgot his real name. That's a code-name for him as Vader's operative (not sure his age, maybe 10 years in ROTS
7) Obi-Wan's ex-Jedi friend (that left the order because of an incident with pre-Vader Anakin - Last of the Jedi books)
8) Leia Organa - she might be too young to be involved, depending upon when this series is set, but she'd be a smart inclusion if possible

NOT ALLIGNED:

Obi-Wan Kenobi (not young, but Ewan McGreggor's age, so not old either, he's been known to leave Tatooine on missions, he's 37)
Han Solo (from age 29 to younger, he's 10 years old during ROTS, so depends when the series takes place)
Lando Calrissian (he's maybe 12 years old during ROTS)
Boba Fett (he's 13 years old during ROTS)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
I almost missed this one, as I saw it on the New Fiction shelf at the library without realizing the book had even been released: Troy Denning's Crucible. It begins with some girls in the forest, where their religion forbids them to... wait. Wrong one. :p

I have not liked much of the recent EU in the post-Vong era (especially the multi-book series), but this one was pretty good, and from the start of it, too. But 45 years after ANH? That means Luke and Leia are 64, while Han is 74 (with Lando near that, too). The SW action scenes sure don't take age into consideration anymore, even for Jedi. But there were some parallels to Zahn's The Last Command in style, tone, and plot (that's good), with some of the Fate of the Jedi weirdness (that's less good) thrown in, plus the CW episode with the Ones and Force visions. I was wondering how the story would wrap up, which is definitely not something I've done much in the EU stories, and I actually CARED how it ended, too. Denning's a good writer, and as a stand-alone hardcover novel, it's one of the best to come out in the past half decade or so, IMHO. And the end-of-the-book preview of Kenobi sounds good, as well.

OC47151
07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Another SW site had a brief synosis about Crucible, and had a few interesting sentences that said the publisher is backing away from multi-book story arcs and going for more stand-alone stories.

I have some of the Vong stories, but I haven't read them. Even at Celebration 2, the publisher admitted that series was too ambitious and long. I'm about halfway through the Fate of the Jedi series, and that's nine books. I wouldn't have gone out of my way and purchased them; the library has gotten them in.

Have about 100 pages of Choices of One remaining. Have a road trip planned for next weekend; 6 1/2 hours in the car one-way. Weeeee!!! Either taking Mercy Kill or Annihilation with me to read.

OC47151
07-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Read Annihilation while on my road trip. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I have TOR comic story arc where some of these characters were introduced.

Started reading The New Rebellion on the trip home. It's an older novel, but holding my attention so far.

Tycho
07-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Uggh. I did not like The New Rebellion, OC.

Since we have similar tastes, I predict a similar reaction.

I have been trying to read Old Republic: Deceived for a while now. I'm not sure it's a bad story at all. It's just that while I'm writing my own thing, I'm constantly re-reading it - or non-fiction for my research that would apply.

OC47151
07-25-2013, 07:02 AM
I had New Rebellion in paperback, so it was easy to pack.

Have to check to see if I've read Deceived. There are a couple of OR novels that I haven't.

OC47151
08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
In the same style as his Vader and Son, Jeffrey Brown's Vader's Little Princess was quite funny. Dozens of one-page color drawings of how tough it is for a single Darth raising a "rebellious" teenager (as its opening crawl said).

I recently flipped through Vader and Son and found it very amusing.

Picked up Crucible last night. It might have to set on the shelf until after I finish Fate of the Jedi series. Still have about 3 - 4 books to go.

OC47151
08-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Read a synopsis of Kenobi online and thought it sounds pretty interesting. If I can find a copy at a decent price, I'm tempted to pick it up.

OC47151
08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Found Kenobi for $16.20 at WM. Gonna pick it up.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Found Kenobi for $16.20 at WM. Gonna pick it up.It's listed as "Coming Soon!" on my library's website. :waiting: :frus:

In-hand now. Just gotta read it! :D

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I am about 2/3 through it, and it's better than decent, but below awesome. Some surprises, especially about Sand People. I am concerned with one of the author's comments in the intro., but we'll see.

Finished it tonight, and I feel the need to post about it. First of all, it was pretty good as a story, with vivid characters and less-predictable plots. Now, in light font, are my spoiler comments below:

I was quite disappointed, but I suppose I shouldn't have been, that Qui-Gon never made connection with Obi-Wan. I thought perhaps that'd be how it ended, or even just a whisper or feeling from him. I take exception with Miller's comment in the Acknowledgements, "I began developing the story that is Kenobi in 2006, when... my editor at Dark Horse, challenged me to write something that hadn't been done as yet: Star Wars as a western." The whole first film WAS a western, and I know the Marvel Comics run had several western-type (even on desert planets) storylines. Whatever.

Many lines from films were used again, the name "Annie" as short for the shopkeeper Annillen was obviously meant to make Obi-Wan uncomfortable. How Obi-Wan ended up with using his last name (while hiding from those who'd know the fame of it) was a great plot detail. Loved all the Sand People mythology and backstory, especially A'Yark's and Hett's histories; the punishment for Orrin was ironic and appropriate. I was glad the "break up" involving Obi-Wan wasn't as painful as I expected, even though it was tough.

The preview for the Razor's Edge book sounds very interesting, in the time period of ANH-to-ESB.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-02-2013, 11:55 PM
I had bought the 4th in the "Origami Yoda" series, The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett but hadn't read it yet. I think it's the best so far in the run, but if you're a student or teacher not in love with standardized tests and the drive to "succeed" at them, it may be too close to reality. Quite the commentary on the education system, with many SW references to call it the "young adult" category. I smiled a few times, even needed to read some passages aloud; I wonder how long it will go on as a series. Loved the expanding cast of SW character finger puppets. :D

JediTricks
09-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I take exception with Miller's comment in the Acknowledgements, "I began developing the story that is Kenobi in 2006, when... my editor at Dark Horse, challenged me to write something that hadn't been done as yet: Star Wars as a western." The whole first film WAS a western, and I know the Marvel Comics run had several western-type (even on desert planets) storylines. Whatever. I'm going to de-spoilerfy that because it's not a spoiler at all, it's the premise of the book and they said as much in the panel for it. Anyway, this was a different kind of western, more spaghetti western than American western, the drifter in town who is more than he seems, the other characters' views of this stranger and how he affects their lives, that sort of thing, so while I can't speak for the Marvel Comics run, in terms of films and other novels and the comics I've read, this was a new premise. That said, I haven't read it yet, I'm waaaaay behind on picking up books.

OC47151
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm going to de-spoilerfy that because it's not a spoiler at all, it's the premise of the book and they said as much in the panel for it. Anyway, this was a different kind of western, more spaghetti western than American western, the drifter in town who is more than he seems, the other characters' views of this stranger and how he affects their lives, that sort of thing, so while I can't speak for the Marvel Comics run, in terms of films and other novels and the comics I've read, this was a new premise. That said, I haven't read it yet, I'm waaaaay behind on picking up books.

When I first read the synopsis on Amazon, my first reaction was, oh, it's like Hondo, the John Wayne movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2013, 08:41 AM
The same Vader & Son author has a story book this time, Jedi Academy. I like how it's not fully in the SW universe (song "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" is parodied, school lockers have actual combination locks to hold actual books or pens, algebra is a subject, some characters have neck ties and headbands, there's a student council election with drawn posters, etc.), but Yoda is "only" 700 years old (and sure loves him some soup, he does, hmm?). It's a nice fish-out-of-water adolescent story, with a Luke-type protagonist (from Tatooine! ). I could see a series here, but I don't think I'd buy them all.

Tycho
09-30-2013, 05:36 AM
JediTricks, I'm actually surprised to learn of you reading SW books.

That misconception being corrected:

Taking into account

1) the continuity

2) only the good books

What are your views on

a) figures from the good books (for me this mainly concerns NJO and some of the Jedi Apprentice Scholastic books), and Jedi Academy, Young Jedi Knights)?

b) the continuity being referenced or carried over into Episodes 7 and there on by way of characters like Ben Skywalker, and Jaina and Alanah Solo?

OC47151
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Read on another website that Shakespearean treatments for Empire and Jedi are coming out next year. I really enjoyed ANH version and highly recommend it.

A little OT, but I received my copy of Making of Return of the Jedi. Just read the photo captions mostly, but it's great. Tons of previously unpublished pix.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Read on another website that Shakespearean treatments for Empire and Jedi are coming out next year. I really enjoyed ANH version and highly recommend it.

A little OT, but I received my copy of Making of Return of the Jedi. Just read the photo captions mostly, but it's great. Tons of previously unpublished pix.I got a sense that'd be at least a trilogy of books, if not both of them.

I am hoping for a coupon, to try and save some of the $50+ cover price.

El Chuxter
10-09-2013, 06:58 PM
I read the Shadow of Yavin collection. I'm confused. Nowhere does it say it's an alternate universe, but this simply does not fit in with existing EU. It's not especially great--felt like reading a Rogue Squadron collection, right down to the "We've done this before when Stackpole wrote it" aspect. But it wasn't bad. I don't mind splinter timelines, but I like to know if that's what they are, or if this is supposed to run roughshod, Clone Wars-style, over the previous EU.

OC47151
10-10-2013, 07:40 AM
I got a sense that'd be at least a trilogy of books, if not both of them.

I am hoping for a coupon, to try and save some of the $50+ cover price.

Both Amazon and Books a Million had it for $51 on their websites, with free shipping. In the BAM actual store, it was $65.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I ordered it (with a gift card; sweet! ) today.

Some other upcoming books (plus some I still haven't picked up/read yet)...

5/27/14 Crucible by Troy Denning (paperback)
4/1/14 Into the Void by Tim Lebbon (paperback)
3/18/14 Star Wars Storyboards: The Original Trilogy by J. W. Rinzler (harcover)
3/4/14 Honor Among Thieves by James S.A. Corey (hardcover)
1/21/14 Lockdown: Maul by Joe Schrieber (hardcover)
11/26/13 Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn (paperback)
11/5/13 Death Star Owner’s Technical Manual by Ryder Windham (hardcover)
10/31/13 The Star Wars Heresies by Paul F. McDonald (paperback)
10/29/13 The Old Republic: Annihilation by Drew Karpyshyn (paperback)
10/22/13 Ewoks: Shadows of Endor by Dave Marshall (Editor), Zack Giallongo (Artist)
10/8/13 Star Wars Art: Concept (hardcover)
9/24/13 Razor’s Edge by Martha Wells (hardcover)

El Chuxter
10-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Shadows of Endor came in the mail today. I haven't read it, but thumbed through a bit. The art is awesome. I plan to read it tonight; it looks like it should be a quick read.

It looks like Charal, or someone who looks a lot like her, is in it!

El Chuxter
10-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Pretty good read; a little short, but it is what it is. It's set after the cartoon, and before the Ewok movies, which apparently have been bumped a little closer to ROTJ than I thought. (I guess, given Wicket's age, that makes sense.) Still, this means there was a full Imperial presence on Endor during the time Cindel's family spent on Endor, which had to fit into less than eight months.

Some explanation given for why the Duloks weren't seen in ROTJ, and why Logray didn't have such amazing powers as he exhibited during the cartoon. Oh, and Chukha-Trok!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I ordered and received that Ewoks story; have yet to read it.

I read the latest EU novel, Razor's Edge: Empire and Rebellion by Martha Wells, who is apparently a popular SF writer. Sadly, her entrance into the SW universe was flat. It's set while the Rebels are looking for a place to build their base (Echo Base), and Leia, Han, and Luke get caught up in some pirates and gangster types. Yawn. No surprises in the plot, dull characters. Only good part was Leia was the lead character for a change (with lots of guilt over Alderaan). And not even 250 pages, too (for a hardcover?). :(

OC47151
11-20-2013, 02:22 PM
I ordered and received that Ewoks story; have yet to read it.

I read the latest EU novel, Razor's Edge: Empire and Rebellion by Martha Wells, who is apparently a popular SF writer. Sadly, her entrance into the SW universe was flat. It's set while the Rebels are looking for a place to build their base (Echo Base), and Leia, Han, and Luke get caught up in some pirates and gangster types. Yawn. No surprises in the plot, dull characters. Only good part was Leia was the lead character for a change (with lots of guilt over Alderaan). And not even 250 pages, too (for a hardcover?). :(

I've been going back and forth about picking this one up, and your review, Bel-Cam, doesn't help! I've been picking up more and more hardcovers if the price is right. Price wise, this one is right on the edge.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2013, 08:22 PM
I've been going back and forth about picking this one up, and your review, Bel-Cam, doesn't help! I've been picking up more and more hardcovers if the price is right. Price wise, this one is right on the edge.On the razor's edge? ;) I'd wait for the paperback. Maybe the second book (due out next year), E & R: Honor Among Thieves, will be better.

I liked the Ewoks: Shadows of Endor story; especially the short epilogue. Nice, quick read; reminded me of an anime.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2013, 09:19 AM
[based on thread's title]... so I went back, WAY back, in SW EU to a book I'd heard of but never saw in person or read: Marvel Illustrated Books #2. It's a "novel" that has drawn "graphics" in comic-like form. :rolleyes: From the post-ANH era, but written after ESB had been out in theaters, "World of Fire" follows Luke and Leia, plus the droids, with Mici (Mica?) as a new character. I really like the "old" style comic, with cliffhanger wording, barely any gory details, explanations during and after the events (spoiler alert: despite the dangers, BOTH Luke and Leia, and even R2 and Threepio survived :eek: ). Looking for book #1 now. Is that nostalgia I feel coming on? Why yes, yes... it is... :pleased:

OC47151
12-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Is that nostalgia I feel coming on? Why yes, yes... it is... :pleased:

It is that time of year, Bel-Cam.

Working on the Lost Tribe of the Sith. Started it at Thanksgiving, keeping with my read a SW novel for the holiday tradition. I'll finish it shortly.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Some products due out this year. Interesting about the as-yet-untitled Disney Books young books.

The Star Wars Limited Edition (Rinzler) 8/26/14 [at $99?? Even for a comic series? :confused: ]
Star Wars: Rebels Early Reader/Level 1 8/5/14
Star Wars: Rebels Junior Novel 8/5/14
Star Wars: Rebels Picture Book (Purchase Includes Star Wars eBook!) 8/5/14
Kenobi (Miller) 7/1/14
Star Wars Workbooks [various subject areas like Writing, Math, ABC, Phonics] 6/17/14
John Williams's Film Music: Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the Return of the Classical Hollywood Music Style (Emilio Audissino) 6/12/14
Crucible (Denning) 5/27/14
Star Wars Storyboards: The Original Trilogy (Rinzler) 5/13/14
Into the Void: Dawn of the Jedi (Lebbon) 4/1/14
Honor Among Thieves: Empire and Rebellion (James SA Corey) 3/4/14
Maul: Lockdown (Schreiber) 1/28/14

JimJamBonds
01-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Looks like Disney isn't too happy with the current direction either. #zing!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Another I missed: Lego SW The Yoda Trilogy (Landers) 1/7/14

And, I noticed that Anakin Skywalker is on the cover of the "Phonics & ABCs" Workbook. But it's not little TPM, but AOTC, Anakin!
Obi-Wan: "You look tired."
Anakin: "I don't spell good anymore."

OC47151
01-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Tatoonie isn't known for its education system, BC.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Realized another education-related workbook cover: for the 2nd Grade Math one, it's Darth Maul. Do 2nd graders cover fractions?
"If you have 1/2 of a Sith Lord, and the other 1/2 of the same Sith Lord, in about a decade, how many ret-conned Sith Lords will you have?"

OC47151
02-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Realized another education-related workbook cover: for the 2nd Grade Math one, it's Darth Maul. Do 2nd graders cover fractions?
"If you have 1/2 of a Sith Lord, and the other 1/2 of the same Sith Lord, in about a decade, how many ret-conned Sith Lords will you have?"

Sounds a lot like one of those math questions I hated in school: if a train left Los Angeles traveling 90 mph, and a train left Chicago traveling 75 mph, where would the trains meet?

I hate to admit it, but I don't know if I can finish Lost Tribe of the Sith. Been working on it since late November and have set it down a couple of times to read other stuff. I think the problem is continuity. Each chapter jumps ahead in time.

Did pick up Maul: Lockdown the other day.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Sounds a lot like one of those math questions I hated in school: if a train left Los Angeles traveling 90 mph, and a train left Chicago traveling 75 mph, where would the trains meet?

I hate to admit it, but I don't know if I can finish Lost Tribe of the Sith. Been working on it since late November and have set it down a couple of times to read other stuff. I think the problem is continuity. Each chapter jumps ahead in time.

Did pick up Maul: Lockdown the other day.As an older student, I wondered if Timmy was tougher and braver than Billy, would he just punch him and take his apples, so he had ALL the apples! ;) Fractions are part of fractiousness!

I read LTOTS in free e-book form, just clicking on the next chapter (but I do recall some disconnect, too; remember, this series takes place over a long period of time). The last chapter that was in the paperback compilation was decent though, IIRC.

I am a few chapters into the new Maul book; I like books with short chapters. And there's a very interesting character in those first early chapters.

OC47151
02-02-2014, 12:49 PM
As an older student, I wondered if Timmy was tougher and braver than Billy, would he just punch him and take his apples, so he had ALL the apples! ;) Fractions are part of fractiousness!

I read LTOTS in free e-book form, just clicking on the next chapter (but I do recall some disconnect, too; remember, this series takes place over a long period of time). The last chapter that was in the paperback compilation was decent though, IIRC.

I am a few chapters into the new Maul book; I like books with short chapters. And there's a very interesting character in those first early chapters.

Math was never little Timmy's strong suit.

If LTOTS was set in one time period, it might be better. By the time you get into one chapter, it ends and hops to another time period.

I like Schreiber. Really enjoyed Death Troopers and his other zombie-related novel. The in-laws got me a copy of Razor's Edge for Christmas. I didn't have the nerve to tell them I already had a copy, so I just waited until Lockdown came out and made an exchange.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I am a few chapters into the new Maul book; I like books with short chapters. And there's a very interesting character in those first early chapters.Done. I liked Schreiber's style in his "horror" SW books (Red Harvest, Death Troopers), which found its way into Maul's solo book. Too many subplots for me, interesting that "caf" became "coffee," Maul was too easily getting out of his troubles (spoiler: he survives the end of this pre-TPM novel) and too quick at healing from his injuries. Interesting who turns out to be the mysterious weapons dealer (did not even consider that option). I had a hard time visualizing the settings. Did like the chapter titles, as a little preview to come. Not bad as an EU story, but not great either.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-17-2014, 09:58 PM
The next Lego SW book: The Yoda Trilogy Chronicles. It was funny, but I haven't seen the show yet.

El Chuxter
02-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Honor Among Thieves is unfortunately kind of typical. Not bad, but not quite SW, and it ends on a "well, all the new elements are safely out of the picture and we're back to the same status quo" note.

Like I said, not bad, much better than a lot of SW books, but, I dunno, I'm a bit tired of the books that feel like they add absolutely nothing to the overall picture.

Also, I'm rather certain the author referred to Grans once as Grans, and once as Kinyenians, making me look that up and make sure I wasn't missing some obscure other race from that world, or that Ree-Yees was now considered a member of a completely separate species from the prequel Grans.

Lord Malakite
02-19-2014, 08:01 PM
So, who's up for a Marvel Star Wars/Power Rangers comic book crossover event? :yes:

El Chuxter
02-22-2014, 01:13 AM
My wife got me Maul: Lockdown from the Amazon Vine program (still available, even though the book's been released). I was curious as to how a book about the always overrated Maul could be "the follow-up to Darth Plagueis" and involve Plagueis knowing of Maul's existence at all. Frankly, if I'd recognized the author was the guy who'd written the two "Star Wars zombies" books, I might've passed.

Two chapters in, the writing's decent enough. I'm really, really bothered by one thing, though. The book starts with Maul already in prison, undercover, engaged in a sort of pit fight. Against an alien whose species is not named, but is unmistakably a Yuuzhan Vong. No question whatsoever. He's big, ritualistically scarred, wearing mismatched organic armor, carries a living staff (and the book even calls the damned thing an amphistaff!!), and has no presence in the Force. But is wearing metal piercings. So, first, we've got a prisoner in a penitentiary who's a (low-ranking, apparently) representative of an extragalactic species whose presence in the galaxy should be absolutely minimal and hush-hush at this point, plus, second, this guy's a bit confused about his religion because he has all the scars and other emblems, but seems cool with non-organic jewelry.

Like I said, writing's decent enough, but, c'mon, the Vong were the subject of a fricking multi-year crossover. They're pretty damned important and tough to forget. Even if he couldn't be bothered to get them right, shouldn't someone at Lucasfilm give him a spanking and make him fix it?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-22-2014, 09:17 AM
I wonder if Schreiber just continued his SW Infinities-type writing (like his two other SW novels). You don't need continuity in that style. Since said prisoner died in the book, you don't have to worry. IIRC, wasn't a Chiss also a character here, yet another "mysterious," Unknown Regions SW species?

El Chuxter
02-22-2014, 12:01 PM
I dunno. I haven't gotten to a Chiss here, and refused to touch the zombie crap. This is supposedly in-canon (whatever that means this week), and he's working with Luceno to make it jive with Darth Plagueis.

Personally, not sure I'm down with Plagueis having any idea of Maul's existence. He knows how the Rule of Two works; that'd be a moronic thing to allow to go on.

El Chuxter
02-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Check out this sweet Waru custom!! (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-deK5clh-cCI/UFhlzRG0SOI/AAAAAAAAEc8/zVf9drfUc9U/s1600/DSCN0966.JPG)

Tycho
02-26-2014, 12:35 AM
Very funny El Chuxter.

Darth Maul was not a real Sith Lord.

The book alludes to as much.

Plagueis = master - working behind the scenes and probably created Anakin while Shmi was a patient of Hego Damask - doctor, CEO

Anakin is deisgned to become the ultimate Sith (but the incident on Mustafar changed that).

Palpatine is apprentice.

When Dooku is apprentice, he gets Ventress and Savage Opress to be his Force-wielding minion. Palpatine even later uses Mara Jade.

So why not let Maul think he is a "Darth" or whatever it takes to be Palpatine's errand boy. They even have Maul tattoo his face so no one will ever accept him (ELECT HIM) to usurp the power Palpatine can command by the Republic willingly voting for him.

Dooku was the most dangerous - as better trained than Maul or Anakin, Dooku also had his own Separatist droid army and was popular as few call him Darth Tyranus.

Dooku could have destroyed Palpatine (possibly) but Anakin had more midi-chlorians until he had less - and two legs and two arms less.

OC47151
02-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Have less than 100 pages left of Lost Tribe of the Sith to read. It's picked up. Still not one of the best SW novels I've read.

On a side note, I saw where Barnes and Noble at SW:Frames for $50. Zipped over and picked up a copy. It's a damn heavy book! The clerk said it was the heaviest book in the store. Kinda aggrevated my back while waiting to check out.

OC47151
02-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Finished Lost Tribe last night. The final section held my attention the best: fast-paced, interesting. Too bad the rest of the book wasn't as thrilling.

El Chuxter
03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Lockdown has picked up, but still doesn't feel like a Star Wars title. Maul is really quite talkative here, and it's jarring. I can't imagine him talking in anything but that cold whisper with an English accent, and a lot of what he says doesn't sound right coming from him.

Also, since I last posted, I've met a prison gang led by a Noghri, with a Nelvaanian as his right-hand man. Oh, and the Nelvaanian is a genius when it comes to machines and computers. It's really like he's simply picking races for how cool they look, and no one's editing. "Mr. Schreiber, we need to talk. You use a Yuuzhan Vong here, and a Noghri and Nelvaanian here. Well, one of them's just not known at all in the galaxy at this time, at least by anyone in any position to tell about it, and the other two are at pre-Stone Age levels of technology and not really getting out into the wider galaxy. Howsabout a nice Dug or Wookiee instead?"

Tycho
03-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Chuxter, I agree.

OC47151: I really liked John Jackson Miller's Lost Tribe of the Sith. I stumbled a little until I realized the main characters I was reading about were all Sith save for that lone Jedi who loved a young Sith princess. That was interesting.

I'm actually planning to re-read his work if I can ever get done with reading and editing my own non-sci-fi-fantasy novels.

Tycho
03-05-2014, 02:39 AM
I'm still mad that more EU figures (and even vehicles) will not be made. PT vehicles (like the Gungan Bongo Sub) too.

Also OT big stuff, like Jabba's Sailbarge should be made - with hopefully an appearance in Rebels advancing that possibility.

I'm buying so little SW, with no plans to buy Rebels stuff, that not until Ep. 7 will I have m hobby truly back.

Good time to save money, though. I have my own start-up business' expenses.

El Chuxter
03-06-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm almost done with Lockdown, and, surprisingly, it's turned out to be excellent. Alien issues aside (still jars me to read about a Nelvaanian hacking computers prior to TPM), I'm impressed. It seemed hella predictable at first, but has turned out to be more full of red herrings than a Russian fishing vessel (rimshot!).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2014, 10:47 PM
I have a concern with recent EU books; it could be small, or it could be a harbinger of bad things to come. It could truly reflect the title of this thread, for me as a SW fiction reader. The last three books I've read, didn't really have the SW universe feel to them.

Take the one I just finished, Empire and Rebellion: Honor Among Thieves, by James SA Corey (which is the nom de plume of two collaborating writers). I give it the dreaded "okay" of much EU (although I liked the dialogue, and the various Indiana Jones references weren't too cheesy), but that could also be due to its setting in the post-ANH/pre-ESB era, where nobody major can die). There's another "super weapon" plot, where both Rebel and Imperial groups are racing to get it first. Ending was too weirdly neat for me. And I think the spy character might've been a way to Dash Rendar-ize a Mara Jade somehow.

Here's my issue: the established SW terms are seemingly being ignored, like "caf," "flimsiplast," other curse words, or animals'/creatures' names. The above novel had too many Earth idioms and colloquialisms (it used "crap," "crappy," "butt," and others I can't recall now). And the "Lucasbooks" logo is no longer on the spine, but DelRey instead. Too many seemingly-rare or hidden/secretive species get thrown in the stories just because, too. I am nervous. :(

El Chuxter
03-23-2014, 12:05 AM
I have a concern with recent EU books; it could be small, or it could be a harbinger of bad things to come. It could truly reflect the title of this thread, for me as a SW fiction reader. The last three books I've read, didn't really have the SW universe feel to them.

Take the one I just finished, Empire and Rebellion: Honor Among Thieves, by James SA Corey (which is the nom de plume of two collaborating writers). I give it the dreaded "okay" of much EU (although I liked the dialogue, and the various Indiana Jones references weren't too cheesy), but that could also be due to its setting in the post-ANH/pre-ESB era, where nobody major can die). There's another "super weapon" plot, where both Rebel and Imperial groups are racing to get it first. Ending was too weirdly neat for me. And I think the spy character might've been a way to Dash Rendar-ize a Mara Jade somehow.

Here's my issue: the established SW terms are seemingly being ignored, like "caf," "flimsiplast," other curse words, or animals'/creatures' names. The above novel had too many Earth idioms and colloquialisms (it used "crap," "crappy," "butt," and others I can't recall now). And the "Lucasbooks" logo is no longer on the spine, but DelRey instead. Too many seemingly-rare or hidden/secretive species get thrown in the stories just because, too. I am nervous. :(

It may have been fixed since the ARC I read, but one thing that jumped out was a reference to "three-eyed Kinyenians." I actually looked at Wookieepedia to see if I was mistaken, or if that was just totally wrong. Crazy thing is, a separate member of the species was correctly called a Gran later.

The bounty hunter character (shows how memorable the book was) I was picturing as a sort of lizard man, based on his description as a near-human. But when it was clear he was joining for good (until the obvious happened; sorry for the spoilers, but it was really obvious), I looked up his species and nearly pooped my pants to learn it was the same as Luminara and Barriss. Um, weren't they all sort of mystics who didn't get into smuggling and bounty hunting?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Again, not to spoilerize, since it wasn't a major plot device, a Noghri showed up. Yes, a Noghri. Trying to buy fake ID codes or something. Other species that appeared, just to make it a multicultural universe: Neimoidians, Gran, Wookiees (well, just one; and BTW, this might possibly have been the best Chewbacca story in EU's history, I'll give it that much), the above-mentioned Mirialan, Bothans, Trandoshians (who speak Basic), Twi'leks, Hutts (just mentioned one vile intergalactic gangsta), Phindians (now, this one made sense), Bith (no way! as musicians?), one Mon Cal (it's a trap! ), sarlaac (as Han's punishment, that apparently everyone knows will happen someday). Oh, and a LOM model droid with rusted plates.

When you bring in "new" SW authors, they usually don't have the feel of EU established motifs, I get it. But to be THIS off? That could come down to less-effective editing, something I don't think I've EVER mentioned in my 20+ years of following Star Wars fiction.

OC47151
03-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Here's my take, Bel-Cam: You have your Timothy Zahn, the late Aaron Allston, etc... who've fully embraced the SW universe (and fandom for that matter) and create quality material. Then you have other writers who are doing it for the paycheck, and their comfort level with the SW universe shows in the material.

I recognized that years ago with the X-Files novels. You could tell the writer had probably never watched a single ep of the show, but given the opportunity to write an X-Files story, they jumped at the chance.

El Chuxter
03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I forgot all about the Noghri in that book, but she stood out like a sore thumb. This is at a time all Noghri who are off-world should be personal agents of Darth Vader, who's keeping them artificially in a primitive state. She talked like a typical backworld street criminal, not an honor-bound servant of Vader. Worse, IIRC, Han recognized her species immediately; some seven years or so later, why were they such a mystery to him? Also, throwing one into any area where she could recognize Leia's scent is problematic.

The only thing that kept Lockdown from being surprisingly close to perfect were the sheer number of "these aliens should not be here, period, end of story" species. The Noghri and Nelvaanian are problematic enough, but at least they're from the known galaxy. Toss in a Chiss who certainly isn't following his species' strict laws and a Yuuzhan Vong (particularly when Maul can recognize his weapon as being called an amphistaff), and all bets are off.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Okay, list time (LISTS... :drool: ). Here are the EU authors who I feel "get" Star Wars (* = relatively new to EU):
- Zahn
- Allston
- Anderson (both)
- Watson
- Denning
- Traviss (I know many may disagree)
- Luceno
- Rinzler
- Windham
- Daley
- Golden *
- Karpyshyn
- Kemp *
- Reaves

Tycho
03-25-2014, 04:11 AM
What about Miller, Crispin, Stackpole, and Ostrader?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2014, 09:02 PM
I always felt Stackpole was too military for SW, Crispin's Armor Wars series was more fantasy to me than space fantasy, and which Miller do you mean (I think there've been a couple: Karen had a couple decent CW books, I'm still on the fence about John Jackson so far, and Rusty only wrote a trivia book)? Ostrander only did comics IIRC, and I was considering novelists.

As always, just my opinions...

Tycho
03-27-2014, 09:10 AM
John Jackson Miller. He transitioned from comics to novels quite well.

It's a reverse of how they usually employ authors' talents.

I liked Stackpole's military approach, but that's just a taste-preference. His comics for X-Wing Rogue Squadron were great too.

(He wrote a lot about Tycho of course)

Armor Wars? Was that Star Wars? A.C. Crispin did the Young Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare - Rebel Dawn). Some of the best SW I've ever read.

Really showed how Han became self-reliant and how he was finally able to accept Chewbacca's help. They really lived a tough life before the Rebel Alliance, and I wouldn't call getting carbon-frozen an improvement.

Not that you'd argue, but Han Solo was always one of the best characters in Star Wars.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Armor Wars? Was that Star Wars? A.C. Crispin did the Young Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare - Rebel Dawn). Some of the best SW I've ever read.

Really showed how Han became self-reliant and how he was finally able to accept Chewbacca's help. They really lived a tough life before the Rebel Alliance, and I wouldn't call getting carbon-frozen an improvement.

Not that you'd argue, but Han Solo was always one of the best characters in Star Wars.Oops! Got my acronym-ed authors mixed up; that was the Bounty Hunter Wars by K. W. Jeter. I not only agree with you about the Han Solo Trilogy being one of the best SW series, I owe a BSLOS for my error:

"It was a night like this forty million years ago
I lit a cigarette, picked up a monkey, start to go
The sun was spitting fire, the sky was blue as ice
I felt a little tired, so I watched Miami Vice"

DarthQuack
04-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Here's the big news today.

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

For over 35 years, the Expanded Universe has enriched the Star Wars experience for fans seeking to continue the adventure beyond what is seen on the screen. When he created Star Wars, George Lucas built a universe that sparked the imagination, and inspired others to create. He opened up that universe to be a creative space for other people to tell their own tales. This became the Expanded Universe, or EU, of comics, novels, videogames, and more.While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects ofStar Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected. Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.
"We have an unprecedented slate of new Star Wars entertainment on the horizon," said Kennedy. "We're set to bring Star Wars back to the big screen, and continue the adventure through games, books, comics, and new formats that are just emerging. This future of interconnected storytelling will allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before."
In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.
Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.
On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.
And this is just the beginning of a creatively aligned program of Star Wars storytelling created by the collaboration of incredibly talented people united by their love of that galaxy far, far away....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Here's the big news today.

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

I posted my thoughts on the article on the homepage (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/04/25/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page/), but basically I'm glad and this seems like the best way to go about it. The FB comments various places show the EU fans freaking out – just like the last several times this was hinted at...

OC47151
04-25-2014, 01:54 PM
I read that release and it made my head hurt. It could've been better written, IMO.

Two immediate thoughts: 1) Disney realized they ****ed off the core SW audience when EU debate started months ago and 2) the staff realized there's a plethora of material that could be mined in the new movies and the stand-alones and can't completely turn their backs on it.

There's mention of Miller's Rebels book (and a pix, too!) but no release date.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-25-2014, 05:11 PM
I read that release and it made my head hurt. It could've been better written, IMO.

Two immediate thoughts: 1) Disney realized they ****ed off the core SW audience when EU debate started months ago and 2) the staff realized there's a plethora of material that could be mined in the new movies and the stand-alones and can't completely turn their backs on it.

There's mention of Miller's Rebels book (and a pix, too!) but no release date.
Eh, this really doesn't seem like a changing of the course. This is essentially the exact approach they took on The Clone Wars, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they're doing it for the new films.

The second article I posted (based on the second article SW.com posted) includes release dates and cover photos for all four announced books:
A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller: September 2
Tarkin by James Luceno: November 4
Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne: January 2015
Lords of the Sith by Paul Kemp: March 2015

Kemp mentioned that his book takes place sometime between ROTS and Rebels and would include a character from The Clone Wars, so it really does seem that they're trying to make things fit better going forward.

Tycho
04-26-2014, 12:52 AM
OK, speculation about E7 has moved around the issue of how Lucas wanted to show Luke trained his own son.

1) We see Qui-Gon train Obi-Wan the right way.
2) We see Obi-Wan fail Anakin's training following Palpatine's influence
3) We see Obi-Wan and Yoda cause the Return of the Jedi with Luke's successful training
4) We should see Luke successfully train Ben Skywalker+

a) Who is Ben's mother? Well, if he's still named Ben, and in light of her popularity as possibly the EU's all-time favorite character, Mara Jade (Skywalker). - and I only hope she is not in the movie because Timothy Zahn introduced her as a tough girl in her 20's and seeing her first on-screen appearance as "Aunt Beru" (tough girl in her 50's) is probably not the best way to handle her character. Want a live-action Mara Jade (if she is still maintained in the continuity which seems likely? A between-movie where she still is the Emperor's Hand.

b) Jaina Solo can still exits (Empress Jaina Fel) but be either off-screen or with some different percentage of screen time than Arndt wanted, and because she's an Empress - if that part of the EU is even mentioned, she is Ben's example of "what not to do." The proverbial bad cousin. [Jaina Solo also has a huge following, multiple fan clubs, and not a character Disney wants to mess with - I hope anyway]

The Tarkin book looks great if only because James Luceno is the best SW author! (Plagueis, Labrynth of Evil - and yes he's written other SW titles like Cloak of Deception, Millennium Falcon, and they rank amongst my favorites, but the first two I mentioned are his best).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2014, 09:32 AM
OK, speculation about E7 has moved around the issue of how Lucas wanted to show Luke trained his own son.

a) Who is Ben's mother? Well, if he's still named Ben, and in light of her popularity as possibly the EU's all-time favorite character, Mara Jade (Skywalker). - and I only hope she is not in the movie because Timothy Zahn introduced her as a tough girl in her 20's and seeing her first on-screen appearance as "Aunt Beru" (tough girl in her 50's) is probably not the best way to handle her character. Want a live-action Mara Jade (if she is still maintained in the continuity which seems likely? A between-movie where she still is the Emperor's Hand.

b) Jaina Solo can still exits (Empress Jaina Fel) but be either off-screen or with some different percentage of screen time than Arndt wanted, and because she's an Empress - if that part of the EU is even mentioned, she is Ben's example of "what not to do." The proverbial bad cousin. [Jaina Solo also has a huge following, multiple fan clubs, and not a character Disney wants to mess with - I hope anyway]

The Tarkin book looks great if only because James Luceno is the best SW author! (Plagueis, Labrynth of Evil - and yes he's written other SW titles like Cloak of Deception, Millennium Falcon, and they rank amongst my favorites, but the first two I mentioned are his best).Couple of issues, Tycho. For "a," he'd be named Waru, if he is named after "the EU's all-time favorite character." ;) I doubt Disney would confuse the audience with a same-name character (Which Ben is that? The old man, or the kid? Wait, I though he was Obi-Wan?)

For "b," I'm not sure Jaina'd be in the "Disney Princess" category, but you may be onto something there.

For "c," Luceno has been probably the best recent EU author who's consistently published lately (Zahn's been less frequent, I think). I, too look forward to his works.

El Chuxter
04-26-2014, 10:12 AM
I can't help but wonder if knowledge this was all getting canned is why recent books have been so poorly edited.

No interest in new EU at this point. Not to be a spoilsport, but it's ridiculous. First everything was canon. Then Marvel wasn't. Then it was again. Then Lucas demonstrated he could override anything since he hasn't been overseeing everything as previously stated.

Then Clone Wars II, The Force Unleashed, and Brian Wood's comic ran roughshod over everything. But now it's all crap.

I might read Luceno and Zahn from now on, plus Watson and Stackpole, should they return. But no interest in starting over. Eff that Star Trek Redux BS.

I propose we call all non-film works from this point on "the Star Wars Expanded nUniverse" (EnU for short) like the derisive term for DC's New 52.

Darth Metalmute
04-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Like I said from the get-go, I knew the EU was getting the shaft. I feel terrible for the Zahns of this world who carried, revitalized, and made it possible for the prequals to even exist, but when the bottom line is the almighty dollars, that's what you have.

I still hope they use the names and relationships created in the EU. Not just to pay respects to those that "saved" Star Wars, but to avoid confusion. When speaking of Lukes wife, it would be easier if we didn't have to say, "Which one, the lame, movie one or the kick-butt, pretend one?"

OC47151
04-26-2014, 01:01 PM
I might read Luceno and Zahn from now on, plus Watson and Stackpole, should they return. But no interest in starting over. Eff that Star Trek Redux BS.

Would love to read more from Watson. I've been aiming to reread the Last of the Jedi series.

I met Stackpole at GenCon several years ago, and he and I spoke for a few minutes. He had a bad fallout with either the publisher or Lucasfilm over his books and the chances of him writing another SW novel was thin.

Tycho
04-26-2014, 01:26 PM
I think this is why they should keep the names:

Mara Skywalker
Ben Skywalker

Jaina Solo (Empress Jaina Fel - could just be referred to as "The Empress" and never put on screen)*
Allanah Solo (if there is a grand-daughter and Jacen Solo is dead or never mentioned)

Anakin Solo was very cool but he never needs to be mentioned.

*The Solos might not associate with their daughter any longer. I am not caught up on the books (having been writing Buried Values) but here's what I might guess:

Han is fed-up with the Jedi Order.

1) He lost 2 sons in the service (if Jacen is dead, and Anakin is or is NOT acknowledged - all's that's required as Han is fed up)
2) Jaina is disinherited. The family fought to defeat the Empire, and she marries into it, becomes the Empress and has killed her own brother.
3) Chewie if dead, or in E7 if only until he dies (if he's not cast for the Young Han Solo "tween movie") is a tragic result of Jedi service^

^ In the EU, Chewie dies to save Anakin Solo, who put himself in danger to save refugees since he was a Jedi apprentice.

In Dark Horse's final "Legacy" series, Ania Solo has the Solo name. The only passage down of the Solo name might come from Allanah having a son out-of-wedlock.+

+Let's get with reality and not pretend everyone follows "conventional morals" because the MAJORITY does not and just lies about it (insert your alleged - yes alleged - religious preference here, hypocrites). Disney execs aren't (insert your religion here) they are there to make money, so I'm DIGUSTED that they pretend to be (insert your religious / moral preference here). Miley Cyrus is a realistic example of a Disney graduate.

Anyway, assuming Allanah has a child out of wedlock, (she's a Solo and the daughter of the latest Dark Lord of the Sith), if she has all male sons, grandsons, great-grandsons, then I think Ania Solo can exist (as a Solo, related to Han Solo)

This is 150 years beyond the sequel trilogy's scope. With Disney's decision to let Dark Horse (I assume or Marvel reprinting Dark Horse) keep these titles in print (at least in Trade Paperback), Ania Solo will still be available.

If Del Rey is retaining the book license (they call Tarkin and Rebels a re-launch but it has no affect on Fate of the Jedi or Heir To The Empire (possibly - they use HTTE's picture in the SW news article and JACEN and JAINA were BORN in HTTE (5 years post ROTJ, 9 yrs ABY).

And you're right, if SW EU becomes an Infinities like Star Trek books (where in one, Kirk could be the offspring of a Gorn (J/K), then I'm done with SW books - and this from the producer of Rogues' Gallery (remember that, old timers?)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Not sure, but Princess Lablemaker to the Rescue by Tom Angleberger could be the last in the Origami Yoda series. I really liked how this book progressed. And there's enough to re-start the storylines, too. Teacher Forumites: it mentions Common Core, standardized testing, worksheets, board meetings, funding, why-I-went-into-education revelations, field trips, and more (all of these are positives in the book :D ).

JimJamBonds
04-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Not happy with the current direction of EU? Don't worry since that doesn't matter anymore.

El Chuxter
04-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Not happy with the current direction of EU? Don't worry since that doesn't matter anymore.
Too soon for a Golden Shovel Award! lol

Bel-Cam Jos
05-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Maybe it should be "currant" direction of the EU, with the fruity decision to can it. :eww:

Tycho
05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
I started a thread about what Timothy Zahn said in a recent interview, post Disney announcement on the EU.

In short,

1) he might be asked and interested in writing SW books again
2) old EU might not be acknowledged, but it might NOT be discounted (all, or segments)
3) some might be altered or just assumed to have happened as it did in the EU if you want to imagine that, as some is acknowledged:

(Jaina, born in HTTE (The Last Command, book 3) and Mara (Ben Skywalker's mother, likely absent in the sequels but maybe in-between movies)

Zahn is the father of a majority of the most popular EU characters:

Grand Admiral Thrawn
the Noghri species
Mara Jade
Talon Karrde (not nec. most popular, but he got an action figure)
Jaina Solo (best selling Kotobukia of all-time such they ran a 2nd edition)
Jacen Solo / Darth Caedus
Winter (her mother was Bail Organa's aide in ROTS)
Joruus C'Boath (maybe also not most popular, but cloning Jedi was first approached)

OC47151
05-03-2014, 11:12 AM
This thought hit me the other day.

At Celebration 6, at the Del-Rey authors panel, several future books were revealed. Scoundrels and Razor's Edge were among them. But the one series that got everyone excited was the proposed Sword of the Jedi, feature Jaina in a post-Fate of the Jedi world. Artwork on the proposed hardback was revealed.

With the EU announcement, I realized we hadn't heard anything about Sword. And guess what? We won't.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_of_the_Jedi_(trilogy)

That's too bad. I was looking forward to it.

I've been wracking my brain, trying to remember what other books were announced. I do remember that Tarkin wasn't mentioned.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-04-2014, 12:17 PM
This thought hit me the other day.

At Celebration 6, at the Del-Rey authors panel, several future books were revealed. Scoundrels and Razor's Edge were among them. But the one series that got everyone excited was the proposed Sword of the Jedi, feature Jaina in a post-Fate of the Jedi world. Artwork on the proposed hardback was revealed.

With the EU announcement, I realized we hadn't heard anything about Sword. And guess what? We won't.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_of_the_Jedi_(trilogy)

That's too bad. I was looking forward to it.

I've been wracking my brain, trying to remember what other books were announced. I do remember that Tarkin wasn't mentioned.
Almost every single thing that Lucasfilm announced at Celebration VI has been cancelled or "postponed": 3D AOTC, 3D ROTS, The Clone Wars, Star Wars Detours, Star Wars 1313, Dark Horse comics, even Hasbro's revived Droid Factory line. The Disney deal was signed only two months later, so it makes sense that things in development would get shifted, but the fact that everything got cancelled does sting a little.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2014, 09:27 PM
That's why I do not see this Disney purchase as just a transition in the Star Wars "everything," but as another entity entirely. :(

Tycho
05-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I am going to be very upset if I cannot even somehow fudge the timeline a little and be able to accept the EU that we all grew up with.

Let me explain the "EU people (like myself) whining" to others that do not understand.

Many of us are sick of the old movies (almost all 6 of them - I have some tolerance for AOTC and ROTS still).

But I can't sit through them any longer. I know them by heart (and do love them) but just need new ideas, new material.

The EU supplied that and coordinated it so that it made sense.

Did you know Luke had a Gamorrean wife named Bubba who gave birth to a Jedi Kwowakiyan Lizard Monkey needed BeeBee?

That never happened. The reason is that because in another book, Luke had a hottie for a wife named Mara, who gave birth to a son named Ben.

If that guy Arndt was fired for trying to preserve my EU, then the rest of us ought to find out if he has a retirement fund and kick in a little for trying to look out for ours (and Jaina and Jacen's ) interest.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2014, 05:35 PM
I had The Jedi Path, by Daniel Wallace, somewhat hidden on a shelf; finally got to it. It's kind of like Harry Potter's book, where he read what others had written in it; but this has various Padawans commenting on the pages (Qui-Gon, Yoda, Dooku, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Luke, and some other older character I don't remember). Decent, but definitely more for a YA audience.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Time for another upcoming books list (LISTS... :drool: )

1/13/15 Heir to the Jedi: Star Wars (Kevin Hearne) hardcover
11/4/14 Tarkin (James Luceno) hardcover
10/28/14 Razor’s Edge: Empire & Rebellion (Martha Wells) paperback
10/28/14 Star Wars Costumes (Brandon Alinger, Aggie Rodgers [Introduction], John Molland [Introduction]) hardcover
10/28/14 Star Wars Volume 4: A Shattered Hope (Brian Wood, Carlos D'Anda [Illustrator]); last Dark Horse SW comic series [ironic title :( ]
10/14/14 Star Wars Art: Posters (Drew Struzan [Foreword], Roger Kastel [Introduction])
10/7/14 Star Wars The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight (Tony DiTerlizzi, Ralph McQuarrie [Illustrator])
9/30/14 How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise (Chris Taylor) hardcover
9/2/14 A New Dawn: Star Wars (John Jackson Miller, Dave Filoni [Foreword]) hardcover
9/2/14 Star Wars: Lords of the Sith (Paul S. Kemp) hardcover
8/18/14 Star Wars in 100 Scenes (Jason Fry) hardcover
8/5/14 Star Wars Rebels: A New Hero [Purchase Includes Star Wars eBook!] (Rebels Animation Team [Illustrator])
8/5/14 [3 other children’s SW: Rebels books]
7/29/14 Kenobi (John Jackson Miller) paperback
7/29/14 Star Wars: Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan [Book 2] (Jeffrey Brown) hardcover
7/1/14 Crucible (Troy Denning) paperback

Looking forward to the SW: Costumes, Jedi Academy, McQuarrie-illustrated ANH, and Tarkin books; a maybe for 100 Scenes and Lords of the Sith; with a hesitiancy for Heir to the Jedi and A New Dawn books. Rebels? Eh.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2014, 10:37 AM
The latest issue of Star Wars Insider noted (http://clubjade.net/?p=58909) that the two-part Blade Squadron short story, which started in issue #149, is part of the new canon. The short stories in the magazine will also be part of the canon going forward. I haven't read either part but I have them both so I'll have to check them out.

Tycho
06-05-2014, 07:04 PM
You know, if Clone Wars count as cannon, then all the EU stuff that created Dathomir and the Nightsisters from the Del Rey novel like Courtship of Princess Leia, to Tenel Ka being Allanah Solo's mother, all have some reference to them now incorporated in cannon.

Meanwhile, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir continues to really impress.

As a reader, comics are easier for me right now as I have now also become a novel writer and read a lot of non-fiction for my research to make my own fiction more real - and I have commitments to read the novel fiction of other authors whom I've befriended and they do not writer for Star Wars.

That being said, I am re-reading the EU in chronological order and restarted that once more, so I'm re-reading the past parts to CrossCurrent, a SW novel.

OC47151
06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
The latest issue of Star Wars Insider noted (http://clubjade.net/?p=58909) that the two-part Blade Squadron short story, which started in issue #149, is part of the new canon. The short stories in the magazine will also be part of the canon going forward. I haven't read either part but I have them both so I'll have to check them out.

I picked up the Insider last weekend for the sole purpose of this short story. It was okay, although I think I could write a better story myself if I sat down and did it. It didn't have some of the usual SW jargon we're used to: coffee was coffee, not caf.

I'll pick up number 150 for the continuation.

In the past, one of my favorite things about the Insider was the original short stories. They stopped for a while, and when money got tight for me, I didn't renew my subscription. I'd like to go back and get some of the better short stories. The comic shop has some of the older Insiders for sale. Just have to wait for a good sale to get a few.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2014, 04:26 PM

Here's my issue: the established SW terms are seemingly being ignored, like "caf," "flimsiplast," other curse words, or animals'/creatures' names. The above novel had too many Earth idioms and colloquialisms (it used "crap," "crappy," "butt," and others I can't recall now). And the "Lucasbooks" logo is no longer on the spine, but DelRey instead. Too many seemingly-rare or hidden/secretive species get thrown in the stories just because, too. I am nervous. :(I had the same concerns a time ago, OC. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-18-2014, 11:40 AM
I picked up the Insider last weekend for the sole purpose of this short story. It was okay, although I think I could write a better story myself if I sat down and did it. It didn't have some of the usual SW jargon we're used to: coffee was coffee, not caf.

I'll pick up number 150 for the continuation.

In the past, one of my favorite things about the Insider was the original short stories. They stopped for a while, and when money got tight for me, I didn't renew my subscription. I'd like to go back and get some of the better short stories. The comic shop has some of the older Insiders for sale. Just have to wait for a good sale to get a few.

Here's my issue: the established SW terms are seemingly being ignored, like "caf," "flimsiplast," other curse words, or animals'/creatures' names. The above novel had too many Earth idioms and colloquialisms (it used "crap," "crappy," "butt," and others I can't recall now). And the "Lucasbooks" logo is no longer on the spine, but DelRey instead. Too many seemingly-rare or hidden/secretive species get thrown in the stories just because, too. I am nervous.

I read the story as well. It wasn't mind-blowing, but it was a good action-packed yarn about some Rebels during the Battle of Endor that struck a nice tone. I noted the coffee mention as well.

"Caf" has always stuck out to me as pretty ridiculous, and not in a fun way, so selfishly I'm pretty happy to see it go. We know they're obviously talking about coffee, and that it's clearly short for "caffeine," so why not just call it coffee? Water is "water" and sand is "sand" so I don't see why coffee should be "caf." I get that the little things help make it feel like Star Wars, but "caf" only stuck since some author was trying to make it sound more exotic and "sci-fi" than it really is.

Also, according to Wookieepedia, "coffee" actually first appeared in SW in 1995, with "caf" following in 1996, so technically "coffee" was the original established term.

El Chuxter
06-18-2014, 04:44 PM
There's also coffeine, IIRC.

BTW, weep not for Karen Traviss. She's getting a shot to hopefully save the mess that is IDW's "new" G.I.Joe comic (as opposed to the classic version, still written by Larry Hama). I think she's the first woman to write the title, and I have a feeling her style should fit it well.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2014, 05:51 PM
BTW, weep not for Karen Traviss. She's getting a shot to hopefully save the mess that is IDW's "new" G.I.Joe comic (as opposed to the classic version, still written by Larry Hama). I think she's the first woman to write the title, and I have a feeling her style should fit it well.I hear she's planning on giving Snake Eyes a voice, in a detailed, militaristic language. And his specialty will be renamed as "Co-Mando."

El Chuxter
06-18-2014, 06:54 PM
She could make Snake Eyes a jive-talking midget who wears clown makeup everywhere, and it would be an improvement over the crap Fred Van Lente churned out.

Granted, Van Lente's ideas sounded excellent in theory until they were actually published, so who knows...?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Like the Jedi Path journal-type book I read previously, I realized I had Daniel Wallace’s Book of Sith sitting around. Some interesting “spoilers” related to the movies: more clarity to Plagueis’ involvements and abilities, trying to tie in some post-ROJ EU plotlines. Much less kiddie in style than JP was. Trying to keep the paper add-ins from falling out of the book while reading was annoying, but they were quite cool. It's worth picking up.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Few more books to look forward to, or pass on:

Lords of the Sith (Paul S. Kemp, hardcover?) 3/3/15
Maul: Lockdown (Joe Schreiber, paperback) 1/27/15
William Shakespeare’s Star Wars Trilogy: The Royal Box Set and Poster (Ian Doescher, hardcover) 10/28/14
Bounty Hunter Code (Daniel Wallace, hardcover) 8/12/14
Emperor Pickletine Rides the Bus (Tom Angleberger, eBook) [hardcover maybe?]) 8/12/14

OC47151
07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
I will flip through the Bounty Hunter Code to see if it interests me. I haven't purchased any of those books but haven't ruled it out. Unless something else comes along before it, the next SW hardcover I get will be the Rebels tie-in.

Finished SW: Scourge the other night. It wasn't too bad. Different. Dealt with a timely issue in the every-day word, drug use. I had an inkling as to whom the bad guy was early on.

OC47151
07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
I flipped through the Jedi Path and Sith books at Barnes and Noble over the weekend. They peaked my interest. Might have to pick them up afterall.

Picked up the latest Insider for part-two of the short story. I found it flowed better and was better written. Since two authors wrote the story, makes me wonder if one author wrote part 1 and the second writer #2.

Tycho
07-07-2014, 10:27 PM
I bought the Sith book for BobaFrett a while ago.

I think as a practical matter, everyone should learn how to take over the universe.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2014, 12:10 AM
I finished Kenobi recently. It's the first book by John Jackson Miller that I've read. It was pretty good, but it sure does have a limited role for the title character. When he does show up he's used well but some of his side comments to himself whenever he'd try to be secretive about his past got to be a little much. I honestly didn't care about the families that occupied most of the book but I did find the Tusken Raider culture intriguing even if I didn't care for the Sharad and A'Sharad Hett mentions.

Obi-Wan notes to Qui-Gon that Satine (who's mentioned alongside Siri Tachi as former love interests) used to call him "Ben." That's information from planned TCW content that never made it out – originally, Satine was going to call him Ben, but in the actual episodes she calls him Obi. He only goes by "Ben" in the show when he's undercover posing as a bounty hunter and talking to the Jedi Council. Seems kind of odd that they'd miss something like that.

El Chuxter
07-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Is that one of the "new" EU books, or one of the last of the old?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
The Kenobi book came out in hardcover that year, and is due in paperback soon. So, I'd call it an almost-last of the EU, despite their change on the cover (with the "Legends" strip across). I also liked the storyline.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Is that one of the "new" EU books, or one of the last of the old?

If only someone would be so helpful as to create a list of the new canon (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/48342-The-Canon-Star-Wars-Timeline). ;) As BCJ mentioned, this book will have the Legends banner when it gets published in paperback.

A few more SPOILERY comments about the end of the book – Obi-Wan helps Annileen get into a school on Alderaan, which seems a little ostentatious to me. Won't people ask her about who helped her get there? Doesn't having a connection between Obi-Wan on Tatooine and Bail Organa on Alderaan seem like a bad idea? I also thought it was a little goofy for the Tuskens to turn Orrin into one of their own. Keeping him around to help them get water makes sense, but you'd think they would just keep him as a prisoner, not have him wear Tusken robes.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2014, 05:06 PM
If only someone would be so helpful as to create a list of the new canon (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/48342-The-Canon-Star-Wars-Timeline). ;) As BCJ mentioned, this book will have the Legends banner when it gets published in paperback.That will be quite easy; once these books come out, you won't find ANY evidence of those "Expunged Universe" thingies.

OC47151
07-31-2014, 05:37 PM
Bought the DK SW: Rebels book with some birthday money. It's not bad. Nice illustrations. I learned one or two things about the new show that I wasn't aware of. Picked up a few new ideas for customizing, though.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I finished (very quickly) the second Jedi Academy book by Jeffrey Brown (of Darth Vader & Son fame), Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan. Not as good as the first was, but it's developing into a decent series with issues and content that teens and tweens and pre-teens would relate to better than some old fossil like me. Kind of like Harry Potter (without the "Chosen One" theme, but certainly has the fish-out-of-water one). The "Ewok Pilot" comics are by far the best parts.

BTW, this is the week that the Rebels books come out; is three months enough time to "tease" the cartoon?

JediTricks
08-08-2014, 06:31 PM
The Rebels young reader books don't have Amazon reviews yet, I'm kinda surprised, they've been out half a week and nobody has anything to say? That's not like the online community. Then again, that Chopper Saves the Day book is $4 for 24 pages, that's nerve.

I went to review SW: A New Dawn and it won't let me because it hasn't been released yet. C'mon!

El Chuxter
08-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Is Crosscurrent worth two bucks? The local Goodwill had it, but I have so little faith in post-Legacy EU, plus it'll no longer be canon, so I figured I'd check here first.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Is Crosscurrent worth two bucks? The local Goodwill had it, but I have so little faith in post-Legacy EU, plus it'll no longer be canon, so I figured I'd check here first.I liked it. I believe there weren't too many connections to the established EU, since it "crosses" over different times, that if you hadn't read much of the recent EU (it's from about 2011, IIRC) you would still understand and follow it easily.

I read the coming-soon excerpts at the back of the paperback Kenobi (and I never noticed the cover painting's CW-era arm gauntlet on Obi-Wan's forearm before), and they sound okay. Looks like John Jackson J. Jonah Jameson Miller might be the new Kevin J. J. J. Anderson, meaning he seems to be getting to write many of the books. So he may determine the EWW (my name for the new EU) from now on. Scary? Or interesting? On the Kathy Tyers-to-Timothy Zahn scale, where would you rank him?

JediTricks
08-09-2014, 12:32 PM
He ain't no Zahn, that's for sure.

And Chux, it's TWO BUCKS!

El Chuxter
08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah, it's two bucks. But so were copies of The Ruins of Dantooine and The Crystal Star. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
But so were copies of The Ruins of Dantooine and The Crystal Star. ;)I am sorry for your loss... of four bucks. :cry:

Which SW quote best fits this tragedy?
a) "What an incredible smell you've discovered!"
b) "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
c) "What a piece of junk!"
d) "Nothing. Top gassing."

El Chuxter
08-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Nah, I meant they had gotten in a lot of SW books, almost all of which I have, and all of which were $2. I unfortunately paid much more than $2 for those two pig terds.

I did pick up Crosscurrent when I went by today.

OC47151
08-10-2014, 04:04 PM
The Rebels young reader books don't have Amazon reviews yet, I'm kinda surprised, they've been out half a week and nobody has anything to say? That's not like the online community. Then again, that Chopper Saves the Day book is $4 for 24 pages, that's nerve.

I went to review SW: A New Dawn and it won't let me because it hasn't been released yet. C'mon!

I picked up one of the YA Rebels books at WM yesterday for $5. Gonna try and read it in the next week or so.

I keep forgetting you got an early preview copy of A New Dawn.

Is Crosscurrent worth two bucks? The local Goodwill had it, but I have so little faith in post-Legacy EU, plus it'll no longer be canon, so I figured I'd check here first.

For $2, you can't lose. And you can re-sell it and make your money back if you don't like it.

JediTricks
08-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Well, let us know what you think of the YA novel and you'll get to "FIRST!" that mutha. ;)

On Amazon, Ezra's Gamble has a one-sentence review that's 3/5 stars.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2014, 08:28 PM
I didn't see any Rebels novels at B&N the other day, just the Learn-to-Read thin books. I almost bought the SW in 100 Scenes, which is a kids' book of pictures... but I passed because the final ghost scene in ROJ picture has an error with some long-haired smirking hippy instead of Sebastian Shaw. :rolleyes:

I did read book #6 (and final, according to the cover) in the Origami Yoda series. Decent; even more punny than the other books, some "surprises," but mainly the way I thought overall they'd end up. Back inside flap hints that the series might pick up from the kids in HS instead of Ralph McQuarrie MS.