PDA

View Full Version : Not at all happy with the current direction of SW EU

Pages : [1] 2

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty close to cutting out any further EU works that take place after ROTJ. Why? The more I think about it, the more the current direction of the novels and comics seems to be undermining the films themselves.

You can have Sith in any work published prior to 1999. Chalk it up to ignorance.

You can have Sith in any work published now that takes place prior to ROTJ. The Force is not yet at balance.

You CANNOT include Sith in anything published after the prequels that takes place after Anakin's death. Period. No question, end of story.

Why not? The Force has been brought to the proper balance. The Sith are extinguished. They are no more. They have ceased to be. Including them now is a feeble attempt to sell more books because the folks at Lucasfilm care more about money than Lucas's story, and they think cool-looking character designs with lots of red lightsabers sell more books than decent, consistent storytelling.

Including Sith is tantamount to having a sequel to Babe start with Farmer Hoggett kicking the snot out of Babe and yelling, "That won't do, Pig! That won't do!"

So, pretty pictures notwithstanding, I doubt I'll pick up any more issues of Legacy. And I have serious doubts that I'll be reading the upcoming Legacy novels if they continue in this vein as well.

I'll be first in line for Allegiance and the Darths Bane and Plagueis novels, though.

Slicker
07-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Hopefully more PU fans'll come to the realization that ALL PU (with the exception of SOTE) is just carp and that they need to stop making useless and stupid PU figures.

JediTricks
07-01-2006, 03:03 PM
I still think a distinction can be made between regular Dark Jedi and the Sith who wielded unnatural abilities. As mentioned in our Force Balance thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31831), my chief theory of why the Force is imbalanced has to do with the Sith living beyond their natural lifespans and thus everything they affect afterwards is tainted and thus those lives affect the Force they create - the Force can tolerate evil Force users who affect things greatly so long as they die when nature says its their time, but when they refuse to die and use the Force to continue living, it creates a downward spiral effect. Not that I ever read that much EU, but I can totally forgive any evil Force user who isn't called a Sith and using that life-extending power.

2-1B
07-01-2006, 05:09 PM
I thought the Clone Emperor was a slap in the face to ROTJ so I've felt a distaste for the EU for a long time.

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 08:46 PM
At least there were comments by other characters (including Mara Jade, who should know) about them believing it was just a clone of Palpatine who thought he was Palpatine reincarnated. Boba Fett's resurrection from that series bothers me as much as or more than Palpatine's or Dengar's. (Dengar had been previously shot to death by Ms Jade in Tim Zahn's books that took place a year earlier.)

This new resurgence of Sith is just totally wrong. Absolutely wrong. I'm talking wronger than finding a picture of your grandmother in an old Playboy magazine wrong.

BTW, "William Joel"? Classic. :beard:

2-1B
07-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I didn't know that Chux, about the Clone just thinking he was the Emperor. Was that a later retcon ? lol

I do recall Dengar getting killed in that one book, Mara picked up his ID or something and it read "Dengar." Thanks for refreshing me on that one, I forgot all about it but remember reading it now. :)

The William Joel reference is from a different episode, I can't remember which one offhand, but Dwight is playing "You are the Sunshine of My Life" (?) on a recorder/flute thing and he makes the WJ reference. lol lol lol

figrin bran
07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
i hated SOTE :p

2-1B
07-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Me too. :D Dash Rendar? WTF? :D

figrin bran
07-02-2006, 12:39 AM
not only dash rendar but the outrider and prince xixor. and i don't think snoova chewie gets nearly enough publicity for being one of the worst figures in the POTF2 line.

now that i think about it, i don't really like EU from the OT and afterwards but PT and before i can accept.

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 01:39 AM
I thought the Clone Emperor was a slap in the face to ROTJ so I've felt a distaste for the EU for a long time.I do not approve of Dark Empire. I do however approve of Obi-Wan clones that LucasLicensing made them rename into Joruus C'boath. :D

El Chuxter
07-02-2006, 10:13 AM
The thing about the Clone Emperor possibly not being the Emperor came from a book about five years later. The point being, if he was really the Emperor returning from the grave, why didn't he try to contact his Hands, and instead assembled a new group of less talented cronies?

The only thing Dark Empire had going for it was the art. It was gorgeous, but totally inappropriate for SW.

Reefer Shark
07-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Some of these stories are lame, and some are enjoyable. I just don't take them that seriously, I take them for what they are (kinda like Marvel's "what if" comics). If I read an EU story, it doesn't affect my feelings for the real deal (the movies).

Now if Legacy was released in movie form as "episode 7" or something, that would definitely be a problem in my book. But as it is now, just take 'em or leave 'em I say.

Same thing with the EU figures, I get some enjoyment out of those, but it's more of a novelty thing (like X-Mas Yoda and such). Some of these characters don't look like they belong in the SW universe, but their designs make for some fun toys. :yes:

mastermatt24
07-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I take them for what they are
Yes!!! Exactly my thoughts as well. I think some of you guys think things out waaaaay to much, and in the end, does it really matter???

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I think the discussion of EU that took a tangent to toys and figures is a good distinction to make. Many collectors lamented the carp (I don't know who here at SSG started that, but it's classic! :D ) that Hasbro was producing, and it seems that Lucasbooks is headed in the same direction. (Anyone notice that the quality of books has basically dropped since Del Rey was taken off the covers of books?) With EU, it is fiction. I do try to read everything (that was one collection thing I never stopped by a completist for), and I try to recall as much as I can. But, it seems the editor-in-chief has a bionic hand, has yelled "yippee! " before, and fell into a river of lava (BTW, the person I'm referring to is Sio Bibble, of course :p )... heading towards the Dark Side.

It's one thing to have to re-work EU plotlines to fit the films (and I think the EU has done a pretty good job of that, Boba Fett-Jaster Mareel-stormtrooper-Fenn Shysa notwithstanding), but another to basically re-work the films to fit your plot ideas. Dis'n bad hebbin, boyos... :upset:

Rocketboy
07-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I tend to think of most, maybe all, EU as not the real Star Wars.
Star Wars begins and ends in the six movies.
While I have enjoyed a few comics and books, and others are just laughable, I don't consider them as part of the main story.

scruffziller
10-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I think the new LEGACY story arc is awesome!!! How cool is Darth Krayt being Jacen Solo!!!(not proven yet, but very likely) Like all balances. They can be disrupted again.

El Chuxter
10-03-2006, 03:45 PM
How cool is Darth Krayt being Jacen Solo

Substitute any of the following words for "cool" and my answer would be "very":

Trite
Forced
Lame
Ridiculous
Stupid
Cockamamie
Flornbesque
Hackneyed
Moronic
Cheesy
Disappointing

;)

Droid
10-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Flornbesque?

2-1B
10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
There's a Darth Krayt ?

Does he make Krayt Dragon calls ? lol

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2006, 10:20 PM
To steal a couple of Chux's choices...

Darth Krayt: the Cheesy Moron-aroni.

Jacen has to be the Legacy Sith. Even Ben won't go that far; he might be the "apprentice" to Jacen's "master" status, IMO.

El Chuxter
06-01-2007, 03:28 PM
It would be nice if, once again, the EU could be somewhat based on decent stories, and not fanboy wank. I just read some info on Sacrifice that makes me happy I stopped reading this s***.

Anyone want unopened copies of the two Legacy books I pre-ordered and didn't read before realizing what the hell this joke is about? Or should I just burn them, like I planned to?

Phantom-like Menace
06-02-2007, 05:46 PM
The basic premise of this thread, that post NJO stuff seems to suck, I'm quite in agreement with, though I don't have a problem with any new bad guys calling themselves Sith. A title doesn't make them any more or any less that group.

Otherwise, it's too easy to ignore the bad stories and take in the good stories for me to make a blanket statement as to whether EU is only good or only bad, and I would say there is more good than bad.

I really wish Lucasfilm hadn't decided readers would get confused to have two Anakins, so the NJO writers had to kill Anakin off instead of Jacen. Anakin Solo was really coming into his own as a cool character and Jacen was just coming off as a douche. Nothing he's ever done has really impressed me, and his going to the Dark Side has meant nothing to me. Hell, I would have had more of a reaction to Jaina's going dark after Anakin died. When she shot Force lightning, I thought the next book was going to rock. But it came to nothing.

Spoiler for Sacrifice:

And then Douche Caedus (Jacen's **** Lord name) killed Mara Jade. I understand conceptually that writers might kill off a beloved character for dramatic effect, but when your stock of interesting characters is so low, the only effect of killing them is that your story now sucks.

El Chuxter
06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Chewie at least had not been effectively used in the books in years. Mara was still a major player.

I wouldn't have as much a problem with another new Sith order if it weren't Jacen. It's not so much a gripe that I didn't want this to happen as it is a firm belief that this couldn't happen. I do have to give them credit for turning the least likely good guy into a baddie, Anakin style (except this time with a surprise factor!), except, well, the reason Anakin turned to Vader was because, uh, his grandfather hadn't been a Sith Lord. Jacen has heard about Vader all his life (and seen evidence of his evil), and has been disgusted by it on many occasions. This is the guy who couldn't kill the Yuuzhan Vong world brain. And the guy who has never cared one bit about politics in the past. He's not going to kill his aunt (and his twin sister's Master) because he's worried about his daughter and wants to take over the galaxy.

It's a major jump in character--almost a full 180 degrees--with insufficient motivation and development. It's like Jazz suddenly deciding, "You know, Unicron is cool," and then killing Ironhide.

This entire series seems like nothing more than a setup for the comic series, which is even worse, as it doesn't make much sense. (Pretty artwork, though.)

Truth is, it's all been going downhill since the death of Anakin II. Anakin was being set up as too important a character to be offed in a manner. Yeah, it may be more realistic, but it's lousy storytelling.

Phantom-like Menace
06-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Truth is, it's all been going downhill since the death of Anakin II. Anakin was being set up as too important a character to be offed in a manner. Yeah, it may be more realistic, but it's lousy storytelling.

I agree with your Jacen statements also, but the above so perfectly hits the mark that I wanted to say that I totally agree.

pbarnard
06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Part of the problem is that the first half of the NJO was about loss, personal, political, and on the battlefield. While it started off ok with driving wedges between people, they didn't take it far enough. The last half of the series was about the decadence of the victors ruling class in the face of the fanaticism of the society that ceded it power. While it probably is allegorical to something in the Middle East, again this vast difference wasn't brought in: the purity of belief of the masses versus the decadence of the rulers. Finally, the plot arc was essentially Paradise Lost with respect to the Yuuzhan Vong. As Jennings said in Animal House, "You find Milton dry and boring as do I. Apparently Mrs. Milton did as well."

Anakin dying isn't lousy story telling. It's the age old bait and switch common to a lot of fantasy story telling. It's even part of the original drafts of Star Wars where one Starkiller brother was supposed to be the savior but it went to the weakling other brother. It also was done in regards to what was the focus of the movies before the prequals and what it is now. Before it was the story of how Luke became a Jedi and defeated the Empire, now it is the story of the rise, fall and redemption of one Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

Why kill off characters again? Goes to what didn't happen in the NJO. It didn't drive people far enough to change and it was a failing of the editor (Luceno) at the time. Now it is time again to see the original protagonist most of us know, Luke Skywalker, deal with another war with his family on opposite sides, this time as a single father and widower.

As to why it has to be Jacen, because George said so? I know sucks. But here's some other insights and parallels. He is basically operating out of a fear of loss, an arrogance of his own personal philosophy, and the fact he never took the time to deal with what happened to his brother and how that drove he and his sister apart. It all goes back to the final chapter of Vector Prime, Eulogy for a Friend. Probability and luck has run out on the Skywalker/Solo clan.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I can chime in more after reading the most recent SW novel, Sacrifice. I think I know more why I am leaning towards the I'm-not-pleased-with-where-the-EU-is going side.

Star Wars was successful because it was an escape from the cynicism and negativity of the times. There was a clear definition of good and evil, even if the people had gray areas to them.

Star Wars fiction has become too much like reality. It's not an escape from real life. Now, I don't mean that politics and war and social issues of today are specifically being inserted into storylines (that'd send this thread to the RP faster than a farmboy shot out of a Corellian freighter airlock). It's just not fun, it's too serious, even for sci-fi, to me.

AND, it's stealing from the films. This storyline has been almost an exact mirror image of the prequel films:

- character has to hide a child born out of "normal channels"
- characters use Galactic Alliance politics to steal power unknowingly
- Chief of State (Supreme Chancellor?) removed from power with (semi) baseless accusations of corruptions
- child(ren) as possible targets (to show how evil a character becomes)
- out-of-control Jedi not allowed as a Master
- learning Sith skills to become a more powerful Jedi
- bringing order and peace to the galaxy (again?) through absolute power
- a battle between very close Jedi (in an isoloated area/planet) that ends with potential life-threatening injuries (and left to die)
- I also saw the Mandalorian bektar ore ships as like a clone army being created

Sigh. A more civilized age, before the dark times, before [insert personal comment here]... :(

pbarnard
06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
AND, it's stealing from the films. This storyline has been almost an exact mirror image of the prequel films:

But isn't part of mythology/epic literature the fact that all these events are cyclical? It happened once before, now it happens once again. It's just unusual in Star Wars because it happens in just one family pretty much.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2007, 11:08 AM
But isn't part of mythology/epic literature the fact that all these events are cyclical? It happened once before, now it happens once again. It's just unusual in Star Wars because it happens in just one family pretty much.Yes, but "stealing" from one's own storyline isn't mythical but, to me, showing a lack of originality. Cyclical storytelling shouldn't occur every five years or so. They should build up more of the EU before doing that.

InsaneJediGirl
09-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Chewie at least had not been effectively used in the books in years. Mara was still a major player.

I wouldn't have as much a problem with another new Sith order if it weren't Jacen. It's not so much a gripe that I didn't want this to happen as it is a firm belief that this couldn't happen. I do have to give them credit for turning the least likely good guy into a baddie, Anakin style (except this time with a surprise factor!), except, well, the reason Anakin turned to Vader was because, uh, his grandfather hadn't been a Sith Lord. Jacen has heard about Vader all his life (and seen evidence of his evil), and has been disgusted by it on many occasions. This is the guy who couldn't kill the Yuuzhan Vong world brain. And the guy who has never cared one bit about politics in the past. He's not going to kill his aunt (and his twin sister's Master) because he's worried about his daughter and wants to take over the galaxy.

It's a major jump in character--almost a full 180 degrees--with insufficient motivation and development. It's like Jazz suddenly deciding, "You know, Unicron is cool," and then killing Ironhide.

This entire series seems like nothing more than a setup for the comic series, which is even worse, as it doesn't make much sense. (Pretty artwork, though.)

Amen Chux.

I just got done reading Exile but knew Mara has been killed. Probably the most popular EU character of all time, with a great story(Zahn writes her like no one else can). I think its B.S. to go off and kill her, when there are a number of characters who have grown stale(Jacen, Kyp,Corran,Alema,Lando IMO) who continue to "live on". Same for Anakin II, great potential but I think it would have made a better impact if one of the Solo twins died,considering the bond always mentioned.

I agree with Chux and Bel-Cam it is realistic(and too prequel) but I'm not a fan of reality in Star Wars. I read them to escape reality. If I wanted reality I would buy something else non Sci-fi.

I will probably continue to read the series, but only until I can find the books second hand. They arent worth buying new.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I bought the newest Legacy novel, Inferno, but I'm waiting until the temperature drops below 100 degrees here to read it.

I do have this to say: I may not be enthusiatic about the current trend in SW EU, as I've said many a time previously, but I don't want to miss the story arcs, so that's why I'm a "completist" and get all the fiction books that come out.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2007, 07:47 AM
After a dead period with no books (what, nobody reads SW books in the summer?), I have three in my possession. Should be able to finish Last of the Jedi #8 soon, had read a couple chapters in Legacy of the Yawn: Infernal, and also picked up the young adult Rise & Fall of DV, in a special slip cover. Wonder if that means it's too rough for da youts to handle, or if it holds some deep, dark secret?

Eagerly waiting the Death Star and Republic Commando novels, plus that pop-up book and Essential Guide on the Force. :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I completely agree with what Chux said in the first post about the EU undermining the films. Even the NJO p***es me off for this reason, and I could never get into it - Palpatine and his Empire are supposed to be the ultimate evil, and yet here comes these new bastards who are basically "Empire Times Ten." And it happens over and over and over. It's like Michael Bay got a hold of it or something.

I understand that having the heroes just retire and live fulfilling lives without danger would be boring in the books, but that's what it seems is going to happen at the end of ROTJ, so that's what happened as far as I'm concerned. :pleased::yes:

bigbarada
09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Star Wars ended when the credits rolled on ROTJ. Period.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-04-2007, 09:58 PM
What's the deal with the "dead zone?" From about July to October, there's very little SW stuff out there, but BAM! comes November and the pre-holiday time and there's lots of stuff, much of it expensive, too. Right now, I have Death Star, MAD About SW, Republic Commando:True Colors, SW: Pop-up Guide, SW Vault, Rebellion trade paperback, with the Essential Guide to the Force due soon. I'd love to have read some of these earlier in the year.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Well, here's some reasons why it might not be so dead, courtesy of the newest Legacy novel Fury:

- Ewoks, not cheesily featured (including an allusion to the Ewoks TV movies)
- characters not dying just "for effect"
- a novel that ends in a well-constructed manner
- Lando appears, speaks, and has something happen that could change him as a character
- new uses of ideas that don't completely change established ideas

Aaron Allston is a good writer. We need more of those in SW EU.

El Chuxter
01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Okay, I'm not going to read this book anytime soon, likely ever. Spoil me on the Ewoks movie ref. (Let me guess: Teek becomes a Sith Lord and molests Ben Skywalker. That would be par for the course of late.)

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Okay, I'm not going to read this book anytime soon, likely ever. Spoil me on the Ewoks movie ref. (Let me guess: Teek becomes a Sith Lord and molests Ben Skywalker. That would be par for the course of late.)A young character Allana is watching a holovid of, quote, "an entertainment broadcast in which Ewoks spoke Basic and befriended shipwrecked little girls." Unquote. But you were very close in your guess. :rolleyes:

I knew this wouldn't bring you back to the fold, but like a weak plot device to garner more readership, it was worth a shot. :D

El Chuxter
01-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I hope the next book mentions that Cindel retired from the incredibly stupid position of reporter that that douchenozzle who wrote the Black Fleet Trilogy decided she was in, as a result of royalties from the holo version of her tragic childhood. Sure, she got to meet the one and only Teek and left the planet with the greatest oatmeal chef in the universe, who'd make sure she never developed diabetus. But her parents and brother got gunned down within a five-minute period. That has to suck.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I hope the next book mentions that Cindel retired from the incredibly stupid position of reporter that that douchenozzle who wrote the Black Fleet Trilogy decided she was in, (rest of rant deleted :p ) I did not notice that her name appeared in that awful trilogy.

Serious question, Chux: what do you think should happen to bring you back to the Expanded Universe? Is it a return to what has been done previously, or certain changes? (I'm too lazy to re-read any of the posts in this thread if you've already covered this :pleased: ) I miss being able to talk spoliers and plotlines with you here, beyond agreeing with the problems and old storylines.

El Chuxter
01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm still interested in the pre-Legacy EU. Legacy just reeks of fanboy wank to a disturbing degree. It's okay to throw a little bit in, but the whole series is nothing but it. The books maybe less than the comics; I might eventually read them. Maybe.

Unfortunately, I'm behind on my EU reading, and they're putting out far less non-Legacy stuff lately.

Cindel was revealed to be a reporter when some character in that series needed to contact a reporter. I thought it was dumb. I'd always hoped (much as I like Noa) that they'd been caught in an Imperial blockade and Noa, having been on Endor and ignorant of the goings-on for 20 years or more, was executed, while Cindel was turned over to the state, presumably to be trained for the military.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I hear you. Legacy is carp, but some of the other stuff's been pretty good (Allegiance & Darth Bane come to mind), and the young adult books aren't too fanboy-esque.

joshephe
01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
basically George Lucas needs to stop trying to affect the EU. The last 2 big series in the EU were his idea (NJO and Legacy). The EU needs to be books that loosely tie together but don't form one series. The only good series in the EU is the X-wing series.

Tycho
01-25-2008, 08:04 AM
The state of Star Wars comics today has me concerned.

Dark Horse is running 4 titles which I quickly review in the following:

KOTOR - which is very confusing and while Zayne and Jarael are likeable, it's hard to get into the storyline. It also should start to characterize Darth Revan and Darth Malak by now, if they are ultimately the Sith that shape this era. The story is failing to do this. I don't get a sense of direction from the series but rather a "Tales from (the era)" sense of it that I don't care for.

Dark Times - this title is interesting, though anecdotal. Dass Jennir is kind of cool to read about. I don't know how important he'll ultimately be or if Vader will just show up one day and cut his head off. I don't know and like the character THAT much to care for sure - but I might one day. Jennir is not Quinlan Vos. That much is for sure.

Rebellion - I'm not sure about this one at all. The main characters have their lives pretty well documented. You know, taking someone like Kyle Katarn and using him extensively in a series like this would be powerful. But so far, I'm not impressed.

Legacy - this is my favorite title of those currently running. I do care for the characters and I think it's worthwhile reading. It was confusing and slow to gain momentum when it first got started. I think they tried to create a new galaxy that was almost too big. But I've settled comfortably into a point where I can now enjoy the Legacy timeline and recollect everyone and everything going on from month to month. It is easily superior to the 3 other Star Wars series running right now.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Are you looking forward to the crossover?

Tycho
01-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Are you looking forward to the crossover?

No actually. I'm just hoping they pull it off without screwing anything else up.

Here's the thing:

KOTOR - this is so far into the past that while it could be cool, like TOTJ was, if events were really that important, they would have affected the movies.

Dark Times - here it could get interesting.

Rebellion - ditto

Legacy - if it's "that important," then sure it could affect Legacy.

I have a wait-and-see attitude. I'm buying and reading the books anyway. But I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Amen Chux.

I just got done reading Exile but knew Mara has been killed. Probably the most popular EU character of all time, with a great story(Zahn writes her like no one else can). I think its B.S. to go off and kill her, when there are a number of characters who have grown stale(Jacen, Kyp,Corran,Alema,Lando IMO) who continue to "live on". Same for Anakin II, great potential but I think it would have made a better impact if one of the Solo twins died,considering the bond always mentioned.

Aleema Rar...killing me, just killing me! All of these powerful Jedi and Sith (Jacen) getting in fights with her and she always escapes?? The novels treat her like she has the powers of a Jedi and Sith Master and it was really getting annoying! This character was cool at first but just went WAY too far!

How 'bout those "joiner king" king novels? ROFL, I read the first one (took me a long time to get through it) and thought I was gonna throw up. Never finished the series and can't believe some of the crap they are putting out!

I miss the old SW novels before the prequels even came out, much better story lines and nothing will ever beat Zhan's Trilogy!

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Plus, she loses a limb every time she fights someone, and still comes back for more!

Deoxyribonucleic
01-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Plus, she loses a limb every time she fights someone, and still comes back for more!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR! That was also very annoying! WHERE do they come up with this stuff? I know, I know, Lucas' kids.

Phantom-like Menace
02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
So, I'm know curious if the writers of the NJO and Legacy novels have it in for my favorite characters.

They killed Anakin and made every EU set in later time periods almost unreadable. They killed Mara Jade and made me not even want to rethink my opinion. And now

Spoiler for Revelations:

Tahiri, the one character I could kind of almost salvage (though she hasn't been the same since the Vong got her) is second banana to **** Lord Douche Caedus as his apprentice! If only they hadn't neutered Corran Horn and made him an unlikeable jerk.

I swear it seems like this rolling snowball of bull**** started after Lucasfilm made the authors kill off Anakin Solo. Any plan they had suddenly got tossed out the window, and they've just been winging it since then.

I kind of want to read parts of the Legacy novels for the Mandalorian stuff, but I'm just not sure it's worth tip-toeing through the piles of crap looking for the good stuff.

Edit: I added some spoiler space, because I forgot to do so.

Tycho
02-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't mind the spoilers, but I haven't read the Legacy novels.

It was my intention to re-read everything starting with Vector Prime and go into the future from there. I own the Dark Nest stuff but have never read it either.

I once was the go-to guy on the EU around here, but my interest in the future waned after NJO (which I liked). Then I felt "done with it," though I enjoy the Legacy comics.

Instead I fervently read Clone Wars stuff and took a lot of interest in that era.

That's why I'm re-reading NJO and getting re-acquainted with the future of Star Wars.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-02-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm a tad ( "in space talk, that's about a million miles" - semi sci-fi movie quote) past halfway through Revelation, and something came to me. The series title is "Legacy," and a decent working definition of that word means that which is remembered after something is gone, or that which continues beyond. Does this mean that Jedi win/Sith return is the legacy of the Force? Star Wars was a myth/fable/fantasy, where stories have ends that stay that way. The desire to have more SW is what's hurting the "canon" or continuity, a la Star Trek.

I like the books that occur within the canon, not so much the ones outside it (like Sith Wars [okay, these weren't bad] and NJO/Legacy [ugh...]). Post-ROJ stuff is fine, but too far off has been terrible.

parana
03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I have to agree! I thought the whole Vong thing sucked! They killed Chewie of all people. I haven't read this Legacy series but you do here about the casualities. I think they would have been better off if they would have let the Empire in charge and never had the rebellion in the first place, if this was going to be the end results. Look at what those planets have had to go through during these last two series between the Vong and Galactic Civil War, hell there can't be many people left to even fight. I think they have te same attitude that is occuring at Marvel Comics, Shock Writing just to sell novels/comics.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2008, 09:19 AM
This isn't really along the "not at all happy" vein of this thread, just because it's an unknown at this point. I was scanning through an upcoming SW books site, and it seems that 7/26 (I think) has several "Star Wars: Untitled" books listed. I believe that they might be young adult readers, but even so, that's intriguing...

And I still am looking forward to the Coruscant Nights pulp detective-genre books this summer. I'll also admit I want to know how they're gonna end the Legacy series; not because it'll be gripping drama, more simply morbid curiosity. :carcrashrubberneck: Now that's back on the "not at all happy" topic. :(

Rocketboy
04-20-2008, 09:28 AM
This isn't really along the "not at all happy" vein of this thread, just because it's an unknown at this point. I was scanning through an upcoming SW books site, and it seems that 7/26 (I think) has several "Star Wars: Untitled" books listed. I believe that they might be young adult readers, but even so, that's intriguing...All (or mostly) Clone Wars related more than likely.

Phantom-like Menace
04-30-2008, 12:07 AM
If anyone is vaguely interested in checking out the first book in the Legacy series free of charge, Del Rey, through the site http://www.legacyoftheforce.com/ is offering it for download without signing up for anything or offering any personal information.

Morbid curiousity drove me to go ahead and download it, though I have no idea when I'll find time to read it seeing as how I can't seem to find time to read things I do want to read.

OC47150
04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
And I still am looking forward to the Coruscant Nights pulp detective-genre books this summer.

This series has me excited, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-03-2008, 09:12 AM
This series has me excited, too.I see that the first book's due out sometime in June, with the second a couple months later. I like when they do that; gives you a chance to really get into a series or character, with less time in between to forget details.

Can't figure out exactly when the novel version of TFU is out; the game itself, guidebooks, CD adaptations, etc. all look the same at first glance.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
According to an online books dealer, here are some release dates for various SW books:

*9/16 Republic Commando: Order 66 (HC)
+9/4 SW Madlibs
+8/28 Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (PB)
+6/24 Coruscant Nights: Jedi Twilight (PB)
*8/19 The Force Unleased (HC)
?7/30 The Force Unleased (PB? :confused: )
_8/15 Clone Wars kids books (color with lightsaber pen, scratch and color, paint with water)
?7/29 Clone Wars (HC?)
?7/26 bunch of "Star Wars: Untitled" stuff
*June Last of the Jedi #10
_5/13 Legacy: Invincible (HC)

* = looks okay
+ = looking forward to these
? = Wha-?! Huh?
_ = no opinion

OC47150
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I can't wait for Last of the Jedi #10. I have an idea of how it will end.

Phantom-like Menace
05-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm only looking forward to Order 66 and Force Unleashed. The Republic Commando books have been pretty good. Triple Zero had its problems but I think True Colors redeemed it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how everyone makes out in the end.

Otherwise, I read Betrayal. It was actually not too bad, but I credit that mostly to Allston who can always entertain with his humor. But I read the other day how Legacy of the Force ends and it reaffirms my desire not to read any further. Douche Caedus continues not to impress.

OC47150
05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm only looking forward to Order 66 and Force Unleashed. The Republic Commando books have been pretty good. Triple Zero had its problems but I think True Colors redeemed it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how everyone makes out in the end.

I've enjoyed the Republic Commando books. Well written but Triple Zero tried to cover too much ground all at once. The concept was great but it introduced too many new characters all at once. And the short story that appears at the end should've been at the beginning of the book. It was a better introduction to the Neos.

haven't read True Colors yet but I do have a copy.

jedibear
06-05-2008, 12:59 AM
I don't know if "not at all happy" as what I'm feeling about the EU as much as just losing interest.

Recently read the final "Last of the Jedi" youth novel and really enjoyed the way Watson wrapped it up.
Picked up LOTF: Invincible when it came out and still haven't managed to crack the cover...the last couple of books in that series were a slog to get through...I could see where it was going and this series has just moved away from the characters I find interesting (the classic core) and the younger generation of characters just isn't grabbing me. Plus, the whole series is just so downbeat.

I've throughly enjoyed the Traviss "Republic Commando" books and am really looking forward to "Order 66" later this year.

As for comics...I've just stopped for now. "Legacy" seems in a holding pattern after the whole "Darth Krayt" cycle, "Dark Times" just isn't grabbing me and the "Knights..." series isn't either. It was really easy to walk away for a while with this new crossover "Vector" thing....ugh. no thanks.

I'd like to see a return of some anthology-styled books (ala "Tales of...") as there are sure a lot more areas of the saga that are ripe for short-storytelling. And I wish the "Tales..." comics would return too....some of the stories offered in them were over the top, but I really appreciated the constant variety those volumes offered...there was usually something for everyone.

It's kind of reached the place with the books that the old "Bantam" titles did...over-the-top but un-engaging. Maybe something will pop up later to rekindle my interest...for now, I'll look "backwards" and cover some older comic titles I never read to get my SW lit fix...

Bel-Cam Jos
06-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't know if "not at all happy" as what I'm feeling about the EU as much as just losing interest.

I'd like to see a return of some anthology-styled books (ala "Tales of...") as there are sure a lot more areas of the saga that are ripe for short-storytelling. And I wish the "Tales..." comics would return too....some of the stories offered in them were over the top, but I really appreciated the constant variety those volumes offered...there was usually something for everyone.

It's kind of reached the place with the books that the old "Bantam" titles did...over-the-top but un-engaging. Maybe something will pop up later to rekindle my interest...for now, I'll look "backwards" and cover some older comic titles I never read to get my SW lit fix...I will still read EU, and that's not just a give-my-money-to-Lucasbooks view. I like fiction stories, and if they're not all well done, then that's the nature of the business. I am saddened at some of the storylines (I'm not so naive to think that everything's gonna be great), sure. But I want to remain caught up with the whole EU (which I have been since around 1992).

I think the upcoming "Coruscant Nights" series could be like the ol' "Tales of..." ones. I hope.

There's a few around-ROJ books scheduled; maybe those'll be more like the good old days.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Here's some more SW books due out this year:

Complete SW Encyclopedia (Steve Sansweet, Pablo Hidalgo) Nov. '08

Luke Skywalker and the _____ of ______ (forgot to copy the end info) (author?) Nov./Oct. '08

SW: Obi-Wan Bio (Ryder Widham) Oct. '08

SW: TFU (Sean Williams) Aug. '08

SW Ultimate Blueprints Aug. '08

Tycho
06-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Here Are Some Star Wars Books You Will Not See Out This Year:

How the Toilet Works on The Millennium Falcon - by Chewbacca

I Forgot Who I Killed Last Summer - by Darth Vader

The Futility of Hope - By Emperor Palpatine

How To Pick Up Space Girls - By Han Solo

Please look for these exciting titles and more at a later date.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Here's some more SW books due out this year:

Complete SW Encyclopedia (Steve Sansweet, Pablo Hidalgo) Nov. '08

Luke Skywalker and the _____ of ______ (forgot to copy the end info) (author?) Nov./Oct. '08

SW: Obi-Wan Bio (Ryder Widham) Oct. '08

SW: TFU (Sean Williams) Aug. '08

SW Ultimate Blueprints Aug. '08Can add in "and the Shadows of Mindor" to the Luke book, plus SW: Millennium Falcon by James Luceno 10/21 (it says it's unabridged on CD... is it a book?)
and Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi as Windham's Obi bio.

OC47150
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
The Luke and Obi-Wan books sound interesting. If the library gets them, I'll definitely read them.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 11:22 PM
If the library gets them, I'll definitely read them.IF? Is that another casualty of these hard economic times? My library's not getting current SW books in much lately. :(

OC47150
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
The last SW book I got from the library was Death Star. I haven't checked to see if they got the second Darth Bane book.

Tycho
08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
The Darth Bane books are really good.

What is the Obi-Wan book? A Luke Skywalker book? Are they similar to that Darth Vader book that came out about a year ago? That was a good read actually.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2008, 10:58 AM
The Darth Bane books are really good.

What is the Obi-Wan book? A Luke Skywalker book? Are they similar to that Darth Vader book that came out about a year ago? That was a good read actually.I agree, with the first better than the second.

It does sound like the Obi-Wan is similar to the Rise & Fall of Darth Vader one that Windham wrote. The Luke one seems to me like a stand-alone novel, a la Splinter of the Mind's Eye, New Rebellion, or Courtship of P.L.. Although I hope it's much better than NR was.

OC47150
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Here's a synopsis on the Falcon book. Doesn't sound too bad.

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/news20080805.html

El Chuxter
08-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Sounded promising until all the crap about Caedus and such. Then again, Luceno's writing, so I might possibly think about maybe reading it once it's in paperback.

jedibear
08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
The Lucerno "Millenium Falcon" book apparently picks up after the LOTF series ends. As much as I like Lucerno, I'm gonna have to hear a little more before diving into it...still haven't finished the "Invincible" book yet...it's just not holding my interest.

The Obi-Wan book is a companion book to the Vader one. I liked that one too with it's cool slipcover...in addition to being a good read, it makes a great display piece..I hope they do a similar style cover for the Obi-Wan book.

Am curious about Stover's "Shadows of Mindor" book...his books always make an intense read...I enjoyed "Shatterpoint" a lot and while the structure of his ROTS book was a little annoying with the repeating "This is (insert character here)...motif running through it, it was one of the better adaptations of one of the films.

Out of all the forthcoming EU reads, the one I'm looking forward to most is "Order 66" by Karen Traviss...really enjoy the "Republic Commando:" series a lot and am anxious to see how she handles that galaxy-changing event from the clone standpoint.

OC47150
08-07-2008, 06:56 AM
I enjoyed "Shatterpoint" a lot and while the structure of his ROTS book was a little annoying with the repeating "This is (insert character here)...motif running through it, it was one of the better adaptations of one of the films.

I haven't read any of the LOTF books, but am familiar with the general plot. If the library has a copy of Falcon, I'll pick it up.

Sorry, Jedibear, but Shatterpoint was one of the worst SW books I've read. The editor should've done a better job and slashed it by 50 -75 pages. A book with potential but wasted.

And you're absolutely correct about the ROTS 'this is...' That line got old very fast.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
The Lucerno "Millenium Falcon" book apparently picks up after the LOTF series ends.

I hope they do a similar style cover for the Obi-Wan book.

Am curious about Stover's "Shadows of Mindor" book...his books always make an intense read.

... am anxious to see how she handles that galaxy-changing event from the clone standpoint.I never noticed the similar acronyms:
Legacy of the Force
Lord of the Flies
Are these both symbolic of the end of the world? When childlike people turn against the other murderously? :eek:

Book covers like that make great displays, but are tough while you're reading (unless you just keep it out until you're done :toological: ).

Intense books in the EU are rare; he does a good job at them.

I'm not too excited, but interested. Her style is hit-or-miss with me: when she's good, it's very good, but when it's heavy, it's not so good, Al. :Weezervideo:

Tycho
08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
James Luceno is probably my all-time favorite Star Wars author.

Stover is really good though.

Of course, Zahn and Stackpole and Anderson are very much appreciated.

I think Jude Watson (young adult books) is brilliant though!

I'm really into The Last of the Jedi series and have almost read the entire 10 books in less than 2 weeks. They're that good.

jedibear
08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I agree Tycho...Jude Watson's books have been great. I hope we haven't seen the last of her writing for the SW Universe...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I think she was considering a new crossover series: The Last Quest for the Jedi Apprentice Journals.

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN STAR WARS EU AUTHORS (minimum 2 books written):
10.Drew Karpyshyn
9. Steve Perry AND Michael Reaves (they're better together than apart)
8. James Luceno
7. Alan Dean Foster
6. Kevin J. Anderson
5. A.C. Crispin
4. Aaron Alston
3. Brian Daley
2. Jude Watson
1. Timothy Zahn

Tycho
08-09-2008, 01:50 AM
I can't believe you like Alan Dean Foster! *shudder*

Most of your list is great, except Michael Stackpole should be on it.

Greg Keyes, and Matthew Stover are also good candidates.

jedibear
08-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Well, if we're gonna do a list. here's mine...

Karen Traviss
James Lucerno
Jude Watson
Matthew Stover
Michael Stackpole
Aaron Alston

Some honorable mentions for Ryder Windham for his various texts for everything from visual guides to comics, to Zahn for re-launching SW Lit again after that long dormant period (even if I find his books usually contain too many elements that are just too much for the SW universe for me..force salamanders, anyone?), Kevin J. Anderson for his short stories, John Ostrander for his engaging comic scripts and I'm sure i've missed some, but these are the folks that keep me coming back for more...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I decided to keep comics out of my list (not due to dislike, just that I don't read them as they come out). I think Stover and Keyes had just one book each, right? Wait... Stover's had at least two; my bad. Windham would've been #11, so I'll put Stover as #12. ADF's two SW books, Splinter of the Mind's Eye and The Approaching Storm were pretty good, IMHO. Stackpole's too technical for me; I much preferred Alston's X-Wing books over his. Perry and Reaves each had one book they wrote alone (SOTE and Darth Maul, respectively) that was great, but the MedStar books were good, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I finally got a copy of Invincible, the last (hooray?) book in the LOTF series; only took seven weeks. :rolleyes: The quotes at the beginning of each chapter can be annoying, but I think I know where Denning's going with it. Only two chaps. in right now, so I've got more to go.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't think I have ever been so confused by a SW novel before, as I was by reading Invincible. There were times that I thought I knew what was going to happen, or that I could follow the plot, then I'd get blindsided and have to re-read earlier passages.

SPOILERS BELOW...

I did not expect the two big "shocks" near the end.
Jacen dying was an eye-opener for me. Wonder how this will be handled in future books, 'cause you know there'll be more post-LOTF ones (Millennium Falcon, being one definitely). Allana not dying was also unexpected. As well as the way Isolder went. Is Zekk dead? Jagged as head of the Moffs, and Daala as new Chief of State?!? Wow. One thing I did like was the Fett curse, as it related to the planet Mandalore; tricky. This was also a very violent and sexually-innuendo'd book, perhaps the most of any SW novel. The close following of the OT and Prequels with this whole series was a bad idea; very little originality, IMO: Jacen/Caedus as Vader, Jaina as Luke savior, Jedi Council as "blinded" Prequel Masters, clones being referenced frequently, etc. Too many new force powers; the Jedi have become too godlike. Oh well, it's done. Hopefully.

El Chuxter
08-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah, that pretty much seals the deal for me. The SW EU ends with the NJO.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, that pretty much seals the deal for me. The SW EU ends with the NJO.Chux, I was thinking of you and your disillusionment with EU lately as I was reading the last half of the book. I never say this to anyone, but if you specifically read this, you'll forever swear off SW fiction. It's that bad.

I will still read EU, because not everything's bad in it, but I have a bad taste in my memory (see, they're mixing my own metaphors now :rolleyes: ) from this series. :(

El Chuxter
08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I still haven't even gotten around to reading Allegiance, Death Star, or the first Darth Bane book. :(

My experience with the first Legacy was that it was boring. Rather poorly-written (which was a bit of a shocker, considering whose name was on it), and just dull. Maybe something about the heroes being geriatric geezers watching their kids do everything wasn't appealing at all. Not to mention the whole "Jacen goes Sith" was just not original, and did not at all jive with anything that had come before. (Yeah, it's repeating the past. Trouble is, Shmi wasn't telling Anakin about how his grandfather had become a genocidal maniac because he turned to the Dark Side. Leia was telling Jacen this.)

It's seeming to me that Star Wars is undergoing a "Trekkification" of sorts. You've got the Legacy novels with their dearth of originality. You've got the Clone Wars show looking like a desperate attempt to milk everything the saga is worth. And, whereas once Star Wars seemed more intelligent and less "fanboyish" because of silliness like the Bible being translated into Klingon, now you have Karen Traviss developing more and more Mandalorean language for every dull book she writes, and I have no doubt the Mandalorean translation of the Bible will be around within ten years.

No offense intended to any Trekkers. It just seemed to me that, until recently, there was a real difference between Trek fans and Wars fans.

And, yeah, the more Traviss I read, the more dull and formulaic she seems. It has nothing to do with her journalistic bent, as many of the best writers of all time have been journalists. It's more to do with her incredible inability to tell a story that doesn't fit within her prescribed formula. I never thought I'd pine for the days when Kevin J. Anderson wrote 3/4 of the Star Wars books.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I still haven't even gotten around to reading Allegiance, Death Star, or the first Darth Bane book. :(

[1st paragraph removed]

[2nd paragraph removed]

[3rd paragraph removed]

[4th paragraph removed]Those three are some of the pretty good recent ones; get to them when you can.

I wholy agree with you on your 1st-3rd PPs.

I've always liked KJA's style (but there's no way it would work now, with SO much interlinking), but the Traviss comments are close to my views, too.

I am a SW fiction EU completist, and I want to remain in the loop on the stories, even if it feels more like being in the hoops I'm jumping through.

OC47150
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM

Allegiance and Death Star are two of the best SW books I've read in a long time. You definitely need to put them on your reading list, El Chuxter.

The first Darth Bane was a little slow in starting but it held my interest.

I really enjoy Traviss's books. I thought Triple Zero was a little disjointed and cumbersome at points but still enjoyed it.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Chux, I keep thinking you'll come back to the fold, and recently the books published have been pretty good. But then, every so often, there's one that confirms your sad views on EU.

Luke Skywalker & the Shadows of Mindor is one such book.

I have to put it in my all-time worst Star Wars books list (perhaps an actual list forthcoming?), and closer to the top (bottom?) of that one, too. The cover is cool; perhaps I should've stopped there? :rolleyes:

SPOILERS BELOW:

The last pages, in which the Epilogue is called "Debriefing" instead, but there's little of that; it really is just an ending chapter (i.e. Epilogue), I thought could save it, but somehow it made it worse. I've liked Stover's style in ROTS and Shatterpoint, but it almost seems as if he's actually mocking EU in how he writes. I thought his similes (and there were too many of them IMO) were bad, and a character in the plot even mentions that fact?!? :confused: Seriously, I believe Chewie was the best character, and we can't really ever figure out what he says.

I'll give Stover credit; since this is set in the just-after ROJ era, he tried to write it like the books that came out in that era (unfortunately, those were among the worstest of the bad EU). But it was disjointed, confusing, unclear, poorly constructed and developed, and I'd almost say incomplete.

Bad, bad, bad. Sorry.

Tycho
01-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear that about Matthew Stover. I had thought he was good - pretty good.

DarkArtist
01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Wow, i just found this thread, read it and have to disagree with alot of the EU bashing. I'm a huge fan of the EU because i like hearing how other fans and authors tell the story of Star Wars after or before the movies and sometimes fill in the gaps between the PT and the OT.

while everyone is entitled to their opinions (which makes this a great place to post and learn) i think people need to give the EU a second chance and remember what it was like as a kid playing with the Kenner action figures and having all new adventures for our heroes and villians.

as far as the movies go, yes they are canon since Lucas is the one who made them, but does everyone really believe that the Rebels lived happly ever after at the end of ROTJ ? i mean think about it what happens after the movie, what about the surviving Empire ? do they just disappear into the mist and lick their wounds and say well we give up the rebellion beat us, we'll play nice.

now don't get me wrong there are plenty of EU sources that had ridiculous plots (DarkSaber comes to mind....Hutts building a "Death Star" type laser to control the universe....:confused::confused::confused::horribl e characters (Thraken Sal Solo - just plain stupid and annoying), but for the most part these authors are sorta of kids acting out there idea as to what holds for the future of the Republic.

i have to say i just read a sneak peek of the new EU book coming in March "Outcast" and i have to say i'm looking forward to getting it and reading it. i loved the NJO and LOTF series and couldn't wait to dive into another book and continue the adventure. in fact the waiting in between the books was driving me crazy. months and months of waiting and finally grabbing the book, reading it and finishing it sometimes in a day or two and then saying, man now i have to wait 4 months for the next chapter. I think the waiting is the biggest problem with the books and possibly the worst way to maybe lose fan interest.

i mean i just started reading the Republic Commando books so that i can read them all at once and not have to wait months for the sequel. i mean i remember reading the first Darth Bane book what 2 years ago, sure i remember the book for the most part but having to wait almost another year for the sequel, now i have to re-read the first in order to really enjoy the second.

oh well, anyway i guess what i'm trying to say, now that i have rambled on and on is this, give the EU a second chance. look at it in a different light, try reading the series as a whole and perhaps you will change your prespective of the stories and might just enjoy them for what they are.........another point of view.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, Tycho, Stover's other books were good.

So, here's my list of all-time worst SW books (I made up the number of books, so don't specifically quote me about 212 of them). I'm certainly no "EU hater," but there have been some stinkers over the 30-some years of SW fiction)

BEL-CAM JOS' [BOTTOM] TEN STAR WARS EXPANDED UNIVERSE BOOKS:
203. Galaxy of Fear #12:The Hunger
204. Darksaber
205. Children of the Jedi
206. Queen of the Empire
207. Planet of Twilight
208. The Truce at Bakura
209. Jedi Trial
210. The New Rebellion
211. Luke Skywalker & the Shadows of Mindor
212. The Force Unleashed

neosapian77
01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow, i just found this thread, read it and have to disagree with alot of the EU bashing. I'm a huge fan of the EU because i like hearing how other fans and authors tell the story of Star Wars after or before the movies and sometimes fill in the gaps between the PT and the OT.

while everyone is entitled to their opinions (which makes this a great place to post and learn) i think people need to give the EU a second chance and remember what it was like as a kid playing with the Kenner action figures and having all new adventures for our heroes and villians.

as far as the movies go, yes they are canon since Lucas is the one who made them, but does everyone really believe that the Rebels lived happly ever after at the end of ROTJ ? i mean think about it what happens after the movie, what about the surviving Empire ? do they just disappear into the mist and lick their wounds and say well we give up the rebellion beat us, we'll play nice.

now don't get me wrong there are plenty of EU sources that had ridiculous plots (DarkSaber comes to mind....Hutts building a "Death Star" type laser to control the universe....:confused::confused::confused::horribl e characters (Thraken Sal Solo - just plain stupid and annoying), but for the most part these authors are sorta of kids acting out there idea as to what holds for the future of the Republic.

i have to say i just read a sneak peek of the new EU book coming in March "Outcast" and i have to say i'm looking forward to getting it and reading it. i loved the NJO and LOTF series and couldn't wait to dive into another book and continue the adventure. in fact the waiting in between the books was driving me crazy. months and months of waiting and finally grabbing the book, reading it and finishing it sometimes in a day or two and then saying, man now i have to wait 4 months for the next chapter. I think the waiting is the biggest problem with the books and possibly the worst way to maybe lose fan interest.

i mean i just started reading the Republic Commando books so that i can read them all at once and not have to wait months for the sequel. i mean i remember reading the first Darth Bane book what 2 years ago, sure i remember the book for the most part but having to wait almost another year for the sequel, now i have to re-read the first in order to really enjoy the second.

oh well, anyway i guess what i'm trying to say, now that i have rambled on and on is this, give the EU a second chance. look at it in a different light, try reading the series as a whole and perhaps you will change your prespective of the stories and might just enjoy them for what they are.........another point of view.

EU is very interesting. If you love SW than the EU is there to give you more. It gives you history and tells you how the story continues. I love it.

DarkHorse has done a good job with Legacy (which is freaken awesome) but I hate Rebellion and KOTOR (loved the game hate the comic). They need to get better writers and do some more NJO stories

Tycho
01-17-2009, 09:16 AM
I fully support what Neosapian and Dark Artist are saying about the value in continuing Star Wars in the EU.

I'm loving the EU figures as well - setting up scenes to help me see what the saga would look like were it continuing in a visual form.

I also agree (mostly) with Bel-Cam Jos' list of the worst EU books - but I wouldn't put Truce At Bakura on that list. It wasn't as bad as the others listed there.

All this being said, I have stopped reading much of the EU. It's really surprising to me, as I came to this website 13 years ago to be an advocate for the EU and write my e-zine newsletter all about the Star Wars comics and books.

But then I tried to write my own, got rejected as I wasn't a known author, and pursued the suggestion of the professionals in the industry whom I talked to, and wrote my own non-Star Wars story (another interest of mine being historical fiction).

I burned out on Star Wars a little after New Jedi Order. I collected the Dark Nest books and the Legacy of the Force ones, and got the gist of them from reading spoilers, but I haven't delved into them.

However, I am reading and enjoying Millennium Falcon. But I really like James Luceno as a Star Wars author and knew I'd like this book from the outset.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Here's an update on some upcoming books this year (I include the Madlibs and the PunchOuts just because I migth buy 'em myself)...

Star Wars Order 66 : A Republic Commando Novel [Karen Traviss] (paperback) 5/19
Star Wars The Clone Wars No Prisoners [Karen Traviss] (paperback) 5/19
Rebel Force #3 [Alexander S. Wheeler] (paperback) 5/1
Star Wars : Blood Oath [Elaine Cunningham] (paperback) 4/28
Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi Vol. 1 [Aaron Allston] (hardback) 3/24
Star Wars: Punch Out and Play [Michael Feder, Karan Feder] (paperback?) 3/1
Bombad Jedi [Rob Valois] (paperback) 2/5
Grievous Attacks! [Rob Valois, Tracey West, Veronica Wasserman] (paperback) 2/5
Star Wars Madlibs: The Clone Wars (paperback) 2/5
Star Wars : Coruscant Nights III Patterns of Force [Michael Reaves] (paperback) 1/27

Looking forward to the FotJ series (with the writers listed, it has potential), the continuing C.Nights, and the first CW novels have been pretty good, so I hope the laters ones keep it up.

OC47150
01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear that about Matthew Stover. I had thought he was good - pretty good.

I enjoyed Stover's style in ROTS (except for the parts that said, this is what Anakin Skywalker thought, or whatever) but I thought Shatterpoint was one of the worst SW books I've read. It was too long by about 50 - 75 pages. If it was edited and tightened up, it would've been a better book.

I'm reading The Force Unleashed right now (the library had a copy), and it's not bad. A quick read.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2009, 10:04 AM

now don't get me wrong there are plenty of EU sources that had ridiculous plots

oh well, anyway i guess what i'm trying to say, now that i have rambled on and on is this, give the EU a second chance. look at it in a different light, try reading the series as a whole and perhaps you will change your prespective of the stories and might just enjoy them for what they are.........another point of view.I've almost always been an EU defender (with the exception of some of the comics series, since I've not been able to keep up with all of them like I can with books), but some of the books have been groaners, even whole series (notice I put no NJO or Legacy books on my "worst" list, but the overall storylines of each were among the carpiest in EU history, as were the Dark Nest or Black Fleet trilogies). I enjoy a "certain point of view" retelling or new perspective as the next person, but making signiifcant changes to established concepts is dangerous (and obviously alienates some long-time readers like Chux) and weakens the entire Expanded Universe IMHO.

But I can be called a hypocrite, since I still buy them all. I don't want to miss out an a plot, no matter how poorly-constructed it may be.

pbarnard
01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I think my problem right now as a reader and prospective author of non-fiction is that there's a pull between what exists, what has been ret-conned, and what is upcoming. That is going to lead to disaster eventually. Will I stop reading? Essentially I've already cut back and am not reading the stuff based off authors or plots coming out of the "new Clone Wars". I'm still trying to get why more people don't love the "original Clone Wars" that was mostly DH and a few books (notice no micro series). I'm hoping it doesn't become an academic debate on which plots will get dropped vs what will be added because the new will replace the old.

neosapian77
01-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I think my problem right now as a reader and prospective author of non-fiction is that there's a pull between what exists, what has been ret-conned, and what is upcoming. That is going to lead to disaster eventually. Will I stop reading? Essentially I've already cut back and am not reading the stuff based off authors or plots coming out of the "new Clone Wars". I'm still trying to get why more people don't love the "original Clone Wars" that was mostly DH and a few books (notice no micro series). I'm hoping it doesn't become an academic debate on which plots will get dropped vs what will be added because the new will replace the old.

The original Clone Wars toon was some of the best animation and fight choreography I've ever seen on a screen. The new toon doesn't even compare. I've tried to watch it but I hate damaging my brain cells.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Here are some more updates on SW books due out soon:

Star Wars : Fate of the Jedi: Omen [Christie Golden] June 2009 (hardcover)

Star Wars : Adventures: Han Solo and the Hollow Moon of Khorya [forgot the authors] May 2009 (paperback)

Rebel Force #3: Firefight [Alexander S. Star Wars Staff] May 2009 (paperback)

The Han Solo one sounds quite a lot like the Brian Daley series by its title; hope it can be even 7/12 as good as it was. :stats: The Rebel Force cover looks pretty cool, and now it has its subtitle.

Tycho
02-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Fate of the Jedi might be one I'll read, but I'm sorry to say I've lost interest and will pick and choose the SW books I'll read now.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Here's an updated list (LISTS... ) of some upcoming SW books and stuff:

SW: 501st, An Imperial Commando Novel (K. Traviss, 10/27)

SW: The Complete Vader (R. Windham, 10/27)

SW: Lego Visual Dictionary (9/21)

Art of SW: Clone Wars (9/1, Special Edition is out earlier on 7/15?)

SW: Frames (9/1... $5,500?!? :confused: )

SW: Death Troopers [on CD?] (J. Schrieber, 10/13)

SW: Super Collectible Wishbook (G.T. Charlton, 8/29)

The Force Unleashed paperback (S. Williams, 8/25)

Star Wars [analysis of it] (W. Brooker, 8/18)

SW: Essential Atlas (J. Fry/D.Wallace, 8/18)

Fate of the Jedi: Abyss (T. Denning, 8/18)

SW Comics [looks like mainly Dark Horse] (7/22)

SW: CW Ultimate Battles (7/20)

various SW calendars (7/1)

Fate of the Jedi: Omen (C. Golden, 6/23)

OC47150
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the list, Bel.

I can't wait for Traviss' Imperial Commando book. The Lego dictionary intrigues me. My girlfriend's sons have SW Legos and I enjoy creating buildings/dioramas with them.

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
SW Frames is this giant, ridiculous, ostentations thing. It's actually 6 books, one for each film, it's got this huge wooden case with a bronze (or faux) medallion on either side, Vader on 1, Yoda on the other. Each image in the books is a frame from the film specifically chosen by George Lucas himself, and it comes with a numbered "bookplate" signed by him (if the fat flanneled one had numbered each one from 1 to 500, now that would be impressive :p). Each book apparently weighs 23 pounds. IMO, it's ridiculous: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=900184&source=082808news

The cool thing though is if you buy it, you get a free $200 worth of Sideshow merchandise in the form of 4k Sideshow rewards points.

I would say it doesn't count as EU since each frame is from the film.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2009, 11:42 PM
True, that it's not Expanded Universe; I just included it becau$e of it$ "affordable" price.

JediTricks
06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
It's hard being a billionaire, I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-25-2009, 06:40 PM
More updates of books due out soon:

Darth Bane: Dynasty of (Drew Karpyshan) 12/8
Millenium Falcon (paperback) 11/24
SW: Clone Wars Season 1 Episode Guide (Jason Fry) 10/29
Republic Commando: 501st (Karen Traviss) 10/27
Complete Vader (Ryder Windham) 10/27
SW: Death Troopers (on CD?) 10/13
Lego SW Visual Dictionary 10/5
SW Clone Wars Heroes Pop-Up Book (Rob Valois) 9/17
Secret Missions #1: Breakout Squad (Ryder Windham) 9/2009
Art of SW Clone Wars 9/2009
Rebel Force #4: Firefight (Alex Wheeler) 9/1
SW: Clone Wars Blast Them (interactive book?) 9/1
Force Unleashed (paperback) 8/2009

These dates often become unreliable, so don't kill the messenger if I turn out to be wrong!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2009, 09:38 AM
And now there's even more, that might be giants...

Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
Daniel Wallace
Hardcover
July 19, 2010

Star Wars: The Jedi Handbook
Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff
Hardcover
April 19, 2010

Children of the Force
Kirsten Mayer
Paperback
April 01, 2010

Blood Oath
Elaine Cunningham
Paperback
March 23, 2010

The Making of Star Wars: Episode V the Empire Strikes Back:
J. W. Rinzler
Hardcover
March 23, 2010

The Clone Wars 4
Karen Miller
Paperback
February 23, 2010

Fate of the Jedi: Backlash
Aaron Allston
Hardcover
February 09, 2010

Crosscurrent
Paul Kemp
Mass Market Paperback
January 26, 2010

Rebel Force 5
Scholastic
Paperback
January 01, 2010

Star Wars, the Clone Wars: Slaves of the Republic
Henry Gilroy
Paperback
November 11, 2009

Luke Skywalker
Ryder Windham
Hardcover
September 01, 2009

Decide Your Destiny 3: Tethan Battle Adventure
Sue Behrent
Paperback
January 07, 2010

Untitled on Star Wars
Carrie Fisher
Audio Compact Disc
January 05, 2010

Deathtroopers
Joe Schreiber
Hardcover
October 13, 2009

The Holocron Heist
Rob Valois
Paperback
September 03, 2009

Guess I just needed to expand my search dates, or I'd have found these sooner. However, always in motion, the future is... I'm looking forward to some (Making of ESB, Carrie Fisher's whatever, Year By Year, some non-FOTJ novels, etc.).

El Chuxter
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Deathtroopers (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deathtroopers)

Star Wars zombies? I think it's official: "Everybody out of the pool." I'll bet they don't even have the presence of mind to involve Senior Anthropologist Hoole and the Arranda brats.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Deathtroopers (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deathtroopers)

Star Wars zombies? I think it's official: "Everybody out of the pool." I'll bet they don't even have the presence of mind to involve Senior Anthropologist Hoole and the Arranda brats.Ah, but being a shapeshifter, not only could they go back and say he WAS there, they could bring back a clone of Zam Wessell, too, and she could be a cannibal, a la The Hunger. See? Genius! :p

OC47150
08-30-2009, 10:09 AM
The Making of Star Wars: Episode V the Empire Strikes Back:
J. W. Rinzler
Hardcover
March 23, 2010

I have high expectations for the Empire book. The ANH book was excellent. Lot of great pix. I might have to get it in hardback.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I have high expectations for the Empire book. The ANH book was excellent. Lot of great pix. I might have to get it in hardback.Me too. But I want to find out if the HB has extra pages that the SC version does not (like it was with the SW:ANH one), BEFORE I buy it. :upset:

OC47150
08-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Me too. But I want to find out if the HB has extra pages that the SC version does not (like it was with the SW:ANH one), BEFORE I buy it. :upset:

I agree. I came across the SC version of the ANH book at a con at an unbelievable price, so it was hard to pass up, with or without the extra pages.

Obsession is Nute
08-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree with the title of this thread, though not all the arguements made within it.

Argueing as to what is "Star Wars" and to what is not "Star Wars" from a subjective position is pointless. We could write our own fanfiction and call it EU and thus make it "Star Wars". I would argue that something is "Star Wars" is objective and that is determined by Lucasfilm Liscensing. If ol' George bestows on to you the right to publish or produce something under the lable of Star Wars, then it is Star Wars, period. Just saying the movies are "Star Wars" and everything else is not is silly. Who are we to make that determination?

As to what is canon is a slightly different story and I is more flexible. I personally figure that Leland Chee is the Supreme Court of the SW universe, sweeping up and attempting to organize the growing mess of "Star Wars" lisence as it produces wild and often difficult to reconcile facts due to its ignorant contributors. But that is just my take.

When it comes down to "What is Star Wars to ME," that is totally subjective to the individual. I am not a fan of NJO or Legacy (comics or books). While I acknowledge that it is "Star Wars," it is not Star Wars to me. Star Wars to me generally covers the movie era, and the events occuring shortly before or after. I make some exceptions (Love KOTOR and Crimson Empire), but that is generall what I am interested in and follow.

As to the statemet of the thread, I do agree. I personally feel the EU is becoming too congested and stretching out too far. I am particularly sensitive to the Clone Wars series as I feel it is trampling all over the things written (and purchased by myself) prior. I would like to see more exploration between Episodes III and IV as they cover nearly 20 years and have almost nothing written about them. Either that or more KOTOR era stuff, albiet mindful of the fact that it is in past, with limited technolgies.

OC47150
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I bought Secret Missions #1: Breakout Squad today. Borders sent a 40-percent coupon out and I hate a good coupon like that to go to waste. My bookstore didn't have Rebel Force #4, which was my first choice.

I'll read it here soon.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I got RF #4 and the new Luke Skywalker book (like the Vader and Obi-Wan ones by RYder Windham) on a B&N store coupon. Did not notice SM #1.

pbarnard
09-08-2009, 07:47 AM
As to the statemet of the thread, I do agree. I personally feel the EU is becoming too congested and stretching out too far. I am particularly sensitive to the Clone Wars series as I feel it is trampling all over the things written (and purchased by myself) prior. I would like to see more exploration between Episodes III and IV as they cover nearly 20 years and have almost nothing written about them. Either that or more KOTOR era stuff, albiet mindful of the fact that it is in past, with limited technolgies.

I understand that contradiction. But the congested areas have stifled creativity, and certain things seem to be developing or re-writen so people avoid it (i.e. Clone Wars). There still are big No-no's as far as when you can set something (only a few years after RotS and a few before ANH outside of TFU in your big want). You'd have to go just outside of a given time frame. The problem was that without the massive "story arcs", it was way too ad hoc. The arcs are the effort of quality control to prevent variance from book to book, but do make it a bit more rigid overall.

JediTricks
09-15-2009, 03:15 PM
SW Zombies? Wow, talk about jumping on the bandwagon. That deserves special recognition for its lemmingesque cliff-walk-offing. Holy crap is that going to be lame, it'll fit great with Teras Kasi.

OC47150
09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
SW Zombies? Wow, talk about jumping on the bandwagon. That deserves special recognition for its lemmingesque cliff-walk-offing. Holy crap is that going to be lame, it'll fit great with Teras Kasi.

Zombies never go out of style. :thumbsup: I love a good zombie movie, so I might have to check the book out.

Still looking for RF #4. Two different bookstores and zilch. The search expands.

Obsession is Nute
09-15-2009, 10:01 PM

I am a fan of the Resident Evil games, so I am going to give it a fair chance. If it is well written and creepy, it should be fun.

Slicker
09-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Zombie stormies?! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! The EU is getting more and more pathetic. Actually decent stuff like that cruisemissle fanfic doesn't get published but fu*king zombie stormies do? :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Still looking for RF #4. Two different bookstores and zilch. The search expands.And yet I can find RF4 easily, but no such luck on Secret Missions. Still waiting to see if I get a discount coupon to buy the paperback of TFU (worst... EU... ever... almost.).

Bel-Cam Jos
11-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm a couple chapters into Deathtroopers. It's short (265 pages including three chapters of Outcast).

OC47150
11-08-2009, 06:57 PM
The library had a copy of Fate of the Jedi: Omen on the shelf. I checked it out. It's hard getting in to. I don't know if it's the writer's particular style or what. I've never read anything by this author before. I'm on page 60 something now and will continue plugging away.

I haven't picked up Deathtroopers...yet. Between the Borders rewards bucks I have and some nice coupons now until Christmas, I think I can get it at a decent price.

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 10:45 AM
It's the author. I think all first timers now struggle. That's why they go the relay arc route now. The more established ones can fix or carry them for a bit.

OC47150
11-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm at the 100-page mark and it has picked up a bit.

elvandrik
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Lol, Teras Kasi!! That's old skool terrible!! Props on that one.

Seriously, they are gonna do the same thing with Star Wars as they did Star Trek. They are gonna wait until the creator (roddenberry/Lucas) dies, and then REBOOT the whole thing.

Trust me. It's gonna happen. Hopefully when they remake it Greedo shoots first and we don't mention (puke) midichlorians. Hopefully Lucas will die soon so someone can undo the damage he has done to the franchise over the last 10 years.

Of course, that opens the door for a film about George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry returning from the dead as film making zombies who won't rest until they get all the cash from our wallets. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

pbarnard
11-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Trust me. It's gonna happen. Hopefully when they remake it Greedo shoots first and we don't mention (puke) midichlorians. Hopefully Lucas will die soon so someone can undo the damage he has done to the franchise over the last 10 years.

Doubt it. Lucas is a notorious control freak. This is probably spelled out in his will. I also doubt that the heads of the Licensing department could sell this too him anytime short of diagnosed senility/dimentia.

elvandrik
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Doubt it. Lucas is a notorious control freak. This is probably spelled out in his will. I also doubt that the heads of the Licensing department could sell this too him anytime short of diagnosed senility/dimentia.

It doesn't matter how much of a control freak you are once you're dead. The living can do whatever they want with the rights they own.

The redux will occur when it sems SW interest is dying down, and they'll remake it to renew interest a la Star Trek.

Hell, I'd even bet that Lucas might even do it while he's alive to make a few extra bucks. That's all special edition was. Lucas is more about $$$$ than protecting the integrity of his work. I doubt he re-released the original trilogy just so he culd have Greedo shoot first..........follow the money trail.

pbarnard
11-13-2009, 09:48 AM
It doesn't matter how much of a control freak you are once you're dead. The living can do whatever they want with the rights they own.

Hell, I'd even bet that Lucas might even do it while he's alive to make a few extra bucks. That's all special edition was. Lucas is more about $$$$ than protecting the integrity of his work. I doubt he re-released the original trilogy just so he culd have Greedo shoot first..........follow the money trail.

Actually, the living can't for at least 75 years. That's how long the estate/successor has to hold it before anything is done/becomes fair use etc. Also, as long as Lucy Wilson is there or her designated successor, nothing will change. She's only been overruled 1 time by Flannel Man with regards to story aproval, and that was which Solo kid died when.

And really the SE were more about now that his divorce was settled, raising capital to invest in the technology and abilities to make the prequals. It wasn't about profit motive since almost all of it was reinvested.

elvandrik
11-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually, the living can't for at least 75 years. That's how long the estate/successor has to hold it before anything is done/becomes fair use etc. Also, as long as Lucy Wilson is there or her designated successor, nothing will change. She's only been overruled 1 time by Flannel Man with regards to story aproval, and that was which Solo kid died when.

And really the SE were more about now that his divorce was settled, raising capital to invest in the technology and abilities to make the prequals. It wasn't about profit motive since almost all of it was reinvested.

Exactly, the special edition was about making money. Your making my point for me.

Lucy Wilson will sell out if it means the franchise making more money. If interest dies off in Star Wars in 10-30 years, she's either out of a job or going to see a reduction in overall licensing profits. If some studio or film exec says "Hey, lets remake the films to spark interest and generate piles of cash" they are going to do it.

Star Wars is guarunteed money if you remake it. Considering how powerful computer technology will improve in the coming decades, they could easily remake it even more visually stunning and probably do it cheaper (if you figure in the inflation differential). Star Wars is not some pristine holy grail that can't be redone for the right amount of money.

Seriously, there's no way it will never be remade. It's not if, its when. It's a cyclical process. In 20 years, instead of arguing about if Hayden Christenson can act or not, we'll all be arguing if we like the new actress playing Leia or Carrie Fisher. Megan Fox would make a SMOKING HOT Leia!!!

pbarnard
11-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Exactly, the special edition was about making money. Your making my point for me.

Megan Fox would make a SMOKING HOT Leia!!!

It's not about making money for money's sake as you're implying. It's not about profit or getting rich. It's about making money like an endowment. THe money made goes back to the product to keep going the directions and varied directions it is going. Plus, unless you can invent a series and be successful and continue it, more power to you. Otherwise, it's George Lucas's galaxy, everyone else just gets invited in for play dates.

She's safe in her job security. The big push will be in 5 years or so when she does step down, becuase inside baseball says she doesn't trust Chee at all but does several other subordinates (and that will be a messy fight). The fight will be between the animated CW vs the loyalists to the older EU.

Jake Lloyd has more acting chops that Megan Fox ever will dream she has.

El Chuxter
11-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Jake Lloyd has actually proven that, with some direction, he's not a bad actor at all. He'll just forever have TPM hovering over his head.

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Lol, Teras Kasi!! That's old skool terrible!! Props on that one.Thanks. Teras Kasi is my go-to lameo SW item. :D

Seriously, they are gonna do the same thing with Star Wars as they did Star Trek. They are gonna wait until the creator (roddenberry/Lucas) dies, and then REBOOT the whole thing.

Trust me. It's gonna happen. Hopefully when they remake it Greedo shoots first and we don't mention (puke) midichlorians. Hopefully Lucas will die soon so someone can undo the damage he has done to the franchise over the last 10 years.Supposedly, Lucas has a trust created by his will to ensure that won't happen, not even by his children.

It doesn't matter how much of a control freak you are once you're dead. The living can do whatever they want with the rights they own.Actually, that's not true. A will can be set up to supersede control over an estate's trademark and copyrighted materials from the natural heirs, if done properly. Of course, in 67 years when the trademarks and copyrights expire on Star Wars, then they can do whatever they want, provided the law isn't changed to keep that from happening the way it has been for Mickey Mouse.

OC47150
11-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I finished Omen. It's not the worst SW novel I've read (Shatterpoint still holds that distinction) but it's certainly not the best.

Since I've invested so much time into the story, I have to know how it finishes. I'll wait to see if the library gets the next book.

El Chuxter
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Looks like Legacy is getting canceled with issue #50. Wonder if they'll wrap up their timeline, or leave it open for something else down the line.

Obsession is Nute
04-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I finished Omen. It's not the worst SW novel I've read (Shatterpoint still holds that distinction) but it's certainly not the best.

Since I've invested so much time into the story, I have to know how it finishes. I'll wait to see if the library gets the next book.

Shatterpoint...

When read the sentence "the spaceport smelled of urine..." I raised an eyebrow. Not something I found particularly Star Warsy, but I chose to read on.

Then I got to Mace Windu's nude, public shower fight with the gang members and I closed the book, thinking I would pick it up again sometime later.

That was back in June 2003....

Shatterpoint joins Rogue Planet, The Cestus Deception and Jedi Trial in the league of Star Wars books that I found so boring, uncompelling or weird I had no interest in finishing them.

Obsession is Nute
04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Supposedly, Lucas has a trust created by his will to ensure that won't happen, not even by his children.

Sorry to double post, but could you elaborate more on this, JT? It would give me great comfort that George has devoted resources to protect Star Wars from remakes and reboots.

I don't want to live to see the day Ryan Reynolds plays Han Solo next to a CG Chewbacca. I just couldn't handle it!

JediTricks
04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Looks like Legacy is getting canceled with issue #50. Wonder if they'll wrap up their timeline, or leave it open for something else down the line.That's weird, it's Dark Horse's 2nd best selling series, and their best selling of their 4 SW lines.

Sorry to double post, but could you elaborate more on this, JT? It would give me great comfort that George has devoted resources to protect Star Wars from remakes and reboots.

I don't want to live to see the day Ryan Reynolds plays Han Solo next to a CG Chewbacca. I just couldn't handle it!As I understand it, his will contains a steep amount of protection against anyone, even his family, using the Star Wars name in any way or making any media from it. It may have changed with the multiple TV series, but I would assume he has directives to deal with their futures as well. Of course, that only covers the next 67 years until the copyright expires.

Tycho
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Darn it! I want to be through with toy collecting by the time I'm over 100 years old.

Those motorized shopping scooters can't keep up with the power-walkers who turn around and scalp stuff on eBay.

Plus, if by then they finally make the Tonnika Sisters action figures, I may wet my Depens.

I'm very disappointed by Legacy being brought to an end and posted on Dark Horse's message boards my request to keep it alive. I first learned of this from Jan Duursema herself.

Rest assured, she'll very likely still be contracted with Dark Horse to draw Star Wars. However, her next project might have nothing to do with Cade Skywalker.

I'd like that storyline to continue myself, as much as I'd also like to see her draw for Star Wars: Invasion.

El Chuxter
04-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Honestly, I'd much prefer Duursema drawing something SW that doesn't involve Legacy. I dig her artwork. Legacy itself, not so much.

InsaneJediGirl
04-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Honestly, I'd much prefer Duursema drawing something SW that doesn't involve Legacy. I dig her artwork. Legacy itself, not so much.

Same here. I had a chance to talk to her once, a very nice and talented lady:thumbsup:

I'm not really a fan of Legacy....I was a big fan of all those Clone Wars(not the cartoon) era comics, so I'd like to see Dark Horse do something like that....Reviving SW Tales would be awesome too, but not holding my breath.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2010, 05:43 PM
When I get around to it (or a Round Tuit :D ), I'll put the upcoming books through about October. The fiction is so-so, and some BAD ones (i.e. a SEQUEL to the worst SW EU novel, The Force Upchucked:whip: ), but there are some great source ones (a Making of ESB and another I fail to recall now, maybe the SW:By the Year one).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
It's now Round Tuit time, apparently.

Fate of the Jedi: Vortex (T.Denning) Dec. 7
Lego Brickmaster Star Wars (DK Publ.) Nov. 1
SW: Visions (Acme Archives... hardcover available Oct. 1) Nov. 1
Defenders of the Republic (R.Valois) Oct. 28
Villians: A Pop-Up Storybook (?) Oct. 28
Deathtroopers (paperback) Oct. 26
SW: Gentle Giant Archive (J.Duncan & J.Fordham) Oct. 26
Making of SW:ESB :thumbsup: (J.Rinzler, hardcover) Oct. 12
The Force Un[loved] II (S.Williams) Oct. 5 :confused: Why?
Star Wars Craft Book (B.Burton) Sep. 28
Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil (paperback) Sep. 28
Sounds of SW (J.Rinzler) Sep. 22
Adventures in Hyperspace #3 Sep. 1
SW: Year By Year (D.Wallace) Aug. 16
Wildlife of SW (paperback) Aug. 2
Secret Missions #2: Curse of Black Hole :Pirate:s (R.Windham) Jul. 22
SW: Old Republic, Fatal Alliance (S.Williams) Jul. 20
Clone Wars Gambit: Siege (K.Miller) Jul. 6
various '11 SW calendar stuff Jul. 1
Fate of the Jedi: Abyss (paperback) Jun. 22
Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia (DK Publ.) Jun. 21
Adventures in Hyperspace #1 [Fire Ring Race], 2 [Shinbone Showdown] (R.Windham) Jun. 1
Fate of the Jedi: Allies (C.Golden) May 25
Fate of the Jedi: Omen (paperback) May 25
Rise & Fall of Darth Vader (paperback) May 1
Rebel Force #6: Uprising (A.Wheeler) May 1
Fate of the Jedi: Outcast (paperback) Apr. 27
[while I don't ever remember #1-3...] Lost Tribe of the Sith #4 (e-book) Apr. 27

Get your store coupons and gift cards together!

OC47150
04-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Some of those titles sound somewhat interesting.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Here are some more additions to the SW books coming out.

Fate of the Jedi: Backlash (paperback, Aaron Allston). Jan. 25, 2011
Red Harvest (hardback, Joel Schrieber). Jan. 25, 2011
Could You Survive on Tatooine? (paperback, DK Pub.). Jan. 17, 2011
Feel the Force (paperback, DK Pub.). Jan. 17, 2011
Secrets of the Jedi (hardback, DK Pub.). Jan. 17, 2011
Old Republic: Deceived (hardback, Paul S. Kemp). Dec. 28, 2010
Lightsabers (paperback, Scholastic). Dec. 1, 2010

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I got to Clone Wars Gambit: Siege, which was a sequel to CWG: Stealth. Aside from the "flux capacitor" line and far too much healing by non-healer Jedi, it was a good read. Still making me wonder if the fate of Ahsoka will ever be shown in cartoon or book form.

Also picked up the CW: Encyclopedia, which looks nice, as was relatively inexpensive.

OC47150
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I picked up Secret Missions #2 and the CW Illustrated Character Guide last weekend. Used the Borders coupons. :thumbsup:

The character guide is cool. A lot of great pix of minor characters you might've forgotten or just glimpsed in the series.

El Chuxter
07-26-2010, 03:34 PM
I just learned that Ackmena Maude Zvornak is still alive and active during the Fate of the Jedi series.

This seems like a problem to me. Why? She should be dead.

I'm not at all saying it's tasteless to include her because the actress who protrayed her passed away recently. I'm basing this on evidence from the films and Holiday Special.

The Star Wars Holiday Special takes place shortly after ANH, in the 3-year gap between ANH and ROTJ. Ackmena in the Holiday Special is visibly older than Mon Mothma appears to be in ROTJ, at least a year (maybe as many as three years) later.

Mon Mothma died of old age shortly before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

So how is Ackmena in good enough shape to take an active role in anything many years later? It simply doesn't make sense, since they're both known to be human.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-26-2010, 03:49 PM
The Star Wars Holiday Special takes place shortly after ANH, in the 3-year gap between ANH and ROTJ. Ackmena in the Holiday Special is visibly older than Mon Mothma appears to be in ROTJ, at least a year (maybe as many as three years) later.
Aren't you, uh, forgetting some movie?

Darth Metalmute
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I just learned that Ackmena Maude Zvornak is still alive and active during the Fate of the Jedi series.

This seems like a problem to me. Why? She should be dead.

I'm not at all saying it's tasteless to include her because the actress who protrayed her passed away recently. I'm basing this on evidence from the films and Holiday Special.

Mon Mothma died of old age shortly before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

So how is Ackmena in good enough shape to take an active role in anything many years later? It simply doesn't make sense, since they're both known to be human.

I read somewhere that old age in the Star Wars universe is somewhere around 140 years old. I think it was in reference to Han Solo being around 75 during the Vong Invasion or just after. So if she is 70 between ANH and ROTJ, and FOTJ takes place roughly 40 years (guessing) after ANH, then it is she techincally would be 110 years old, which is plausable.

However it doesn't explain the fact that Mothma died of old age around 90 years old.

We might have to chalk it up to the bottom line is still the almighty dollar.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Pelleon [sp?] lived to around 90, too.

Troy McClure thinks she should be laid to rest, as well. :(

I recalled seeing the name in Allies IIRC, but figured (hoped?) it was just a passing homage (like the "Battle of Tanaab" comment) rather than another character to develop.

DarkArtist
07-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Pelleon [sp?] lived to around 90, too.

Troy McClure thinks she should be laid to rest, as well. :(

I recalled seeing the name in Allies IIRC, but figured (hoped?) it was just a passing homage (like the "Battle of Tanaab" comment) rather than another character to develop.

wasn't Mon Mothma also poisoned in the Eu world...can't remember really.

Pelleon was murdered by Tahari so he couold have lived longer had ne not been killed.

as far as Ackmena, i think it's a homage and nothing more...i doubt they will build up the character in the stories other then a quick comment or bit part..

El Chuxter
07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Mon Mothma was poisoned, I think in the Kevin J Anderson Jedi Academy Trilogy, but recovered. The New Essential Guide to Characters says she died of old age, though I suppose it is possible the poisoning shortened her lifespan.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Whenever Leia became New Republic Head Mistress Chancellor Leader is when Mon Motha' was slipped a mickey; after MM recovered she told Leia "I'm too old for this ****" or something and Leia decided to take over for her.

I'm about a quarter through the next video game-based novel The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance and it's nowhere as awful as TFU was at this point. It's slow, but that's to build to something dramatic that would be clearer in the game itself, I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Finished OR:FA and it wasn't too bad; in fact, the last couple chapters plus the epilogue made the book worthwhile. Only problem I had, and I realize this was based on a video game which requires certain game-play options, was since it's supposedly set around 3000 years BBY, the technology is not what I expected from that era. Much too advanced. But Williams "hid" the game situations within the storyline MUCH better than TFU had.

OC47150
08-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Finished CW Gambit: Stealth today. Not too bad.

Spoiler:

I wasn't expecting it to be a cliffhanger. I have the next book in the series but am taking a break.

As previously stated, I thought the book was good, but it dragged just a bit when Obi-Wan and Anakin first arrived on Lanteeb. After they found the scientist, it picked up again.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Not sure if these were on my previous reply; if so, ignore them.

The Academy (hardback, author? 8/4)
FOTJ: Allies (paperback, C.Golden 4/26)
Jedi Adventure in 3-D (paperback, P.Hildalgo 4/14)
Old Republic: Deceived (hardback, P.Kemp 3/22)
FOTJ: Backlash (paperback, A.Allston 2/22)
SW: Mysteries of the Jedi (hardback, DK Pub. 2/21)
Secret Missions #3 (paperback, R.Windam 2/17)
SW: Knight Errant (paperback, J.Miller 1/25)
Could You Survive on Tatooine? [or Tatooine Adventures] (hardback, DK Pub. 1/17)
Feel the Force (hardback, DK Pub. 1/17)
Red Harvest [or Black Orchid] (hardback, J.Schreiber 12/28)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Update of more EU:
6/21/11 - 20th Anniv. Ed. Heir to the Empire (Zahn... really? 20 years? :eek: )
6/20/11 - SW Ultimate Duels (DK Pub.)
5/17/11 - FOTJ: Conviction (Allston)
4/26/11 - FOTJ: Allies (Golden), paperback
4/26/11 - Holostar (Reaves)
4/18/11 - Battle for the Galaxy (DK Publishing)
4/18/11 - CW: Boba Fetta Jedi Hunter (DK Pub.; according to B&N.com's search, is that too cheesy?)
4/12/11 - Old Republic 1: Threat of Peace (Sanchez, et al)
3/30/11 - SW Generations: Inside Fan Phenomenon (Franklin)
1/28/11 - SW Infinities (hardcove?r... is this a collection of the comic?)
11/1/10 - SW: Visions Limited Ed. (Rinzler... at $270?!? :confused:

Obsession is Nute
11-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I am so ****ed about Gardulla returning in the CW. It was completely unnecessary and showed no respect for the EU.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2010, 06:17 PM
More buy-able books a-comin'...

- Death Star Battles: Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition (Simon Beecroft) 12/31/20 (really?)
- Join the Rebels: Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition (Simon Beecroft) 12/31/20 (??)
- Choices of One (Timothy Zahn) 7/19/11
- Fate of the Jedi: Conviction (Aaron Allston) 5/24/11
- The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance (Sean Williams) 5/24/11
- Star Wars vs. Star Trek : Could the Empire kick the Federation's ***? and other galaxy-shaking Enigmas (Matt Forbeck) 5/18/11
- Star Wars : Holostar (Michael Reaves) 4/26/11
- A Jedi Adventure In 3-D (Pablo Hidalgo) 4/14/11

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
- Choices of One (Timothy Zahn) 7/19/11

Ho ho ho, what eez zees?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2010, 07:09 PM
A little searching brought up this about Zahn's upcoming tale: http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/choices/index.html plus the detail that it was originally titled "Hand of Judgment."

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Mara Jade and Timothy Zahn. I'm there. Haven't actually bought a Star Wars book in a couple of years, but I'll want this one as soon as it comes out.

Slicker
11-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I may try and check it out. Although I expound on the awesomeness of SOTE I'm a VERY big fan of the Thrawn Trilogy and I'm thinking of buying it for a second, third, fourth, etc. reading.

Rocketboy
11-24-2010, 10:53 PM
I have the Thrawn Trilogy and read about half the first book when it came out in paperback years ago (1992-1993?) and was pretty bored by it. I was 14 or 15 at the time, which is probably why I couldn't get into it.
I keep thinking I should give it another shot.

I did read Death Troopers recently, which was a fun read, especially if you don't take it too seriously.

Slicker
11-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Is that the zombie stormies?

I'd definitely try and give the Thrawn Trilogy another go. It does have slow parts but I literally couldn't put 'em down and I had finished all 3 of them in under a week.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Is that the zombie stormies?And the upcoming Red Harvest novel is supposedly in that same vein.

Rocketboy
11-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Is that the zombie stormies?

I'd definitely try and give the Thrawn Trilogy another go. It does have slow parts but I literally couldn't put 'em down and I had finished all 3 of them in under a week.Yep, Death Troopers was the Star Wars zombie tale.

I usually trust your judgement, so I'll probably give the Trawn books a second chance soon.

Also, Death Star was a pretty good read, and it was by SOTE author Steve Perry. I love his style of Star Wars writing. I think he has best captured the feeling of the original trilogy out of any other author.

JediTricks
11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
A new Zahn book? Glad I clicked into this thread, that's good news. The Thrawn trilogy is what got me back into SW in the early '90s, luckily my library carried them when I was at my brokest.

DarkArtist
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
A new Zahn book? Glad I clicked into this thread, that's good news. The Thrawn trilogy is what got me back into SW in the early '90s, luckily my library carried them when I was at my brokest.

I;m looking forward to the new Zahn book as well as the upcoming Red Harvest book...

I've been referring to my library lately as well... I'm hoping that they will get in the new Fate of the Jedi Book soon along with The Force Unleashed II. :thumbsup:

OC47150
12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
My library's been good about carrying SW novels, particularly the Fate series. That's how I've been reading them.

I have high hopes for the new Zahn novel.

JediTricks
12-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I wish my library would get more e-books though, I have a reader in my ipod touch that I much prefer to paper books and for some reason the LA Library can't handle what a lot of small-town ones can. I'd be reading a lot more SW books if they were available that way.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2010, 02:55 PM
A few more releases for this coming year:

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Ascension Christie Golden, Hardcover, 8/16/2011
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare Jason Fry, Paperback, 8/16/2011
Star Wars: Riptide Paul S. Kemp, Paperback, 7/26/2011 (well, the TV show had a robot, too :rolleyes: )
Star Wars Visual Dictionary of Characters DK Publishing, Hardcover, 6/20/2011

OC47150
01-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Crosscurrent. For several years now, I've read a SW book at Christmas. I started this book Christmas week and just finished it the other night.

The first 1/4 or 1/3 of the book was a little confusing, IMO. It kept jumping back and forth from present SW universe to 5,000 years in the past. After it stayed in the present, it improved.

Glad I didn't buy it. I just checked it out from the library. And I had high expectations on this one, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2011, 11:23 AM
I am hoping that there won't be too many of these horror-SW cross genre books in the future. Red Harvest, by Joe Schrieber, was okay, but for someone (in a book jacket quote)to say that it had some of the humor SW fans love, I don't recall zombie killing and gore as funny, SW-wise. It had a little suspense at times and some interesting Force descriptions. I usually like books with chapter titles, but when a 240-something page book has 45+ chapters, there's not much need to give a hint of the 2-8 pages to come. Not really a SPOILER, but I'll put a somewhat funny (maybe this is what the jacket quote meant) detail below in white font:

(two words: zombie tauntauns)

On the non-scientific Bel-Cam scale of 10, I'd give it a 7.4.

Obsession is Nute
01-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Essential Warfare was just moved back to March 2012. Makes me want to rip my hair out, this is just like Essential Atlas! They used to release the Essential Guidebook every six months. Now were are lucky to get one every 18 months. Fortunately, the Atlas was SOOOOO good, it made the wait worthwhile.

I like SW Horror novels, it is a fun combo. I liked Deathtroopers more than Red Harvest, but they are both good. I can understand if they are not really somebody's cup of tea, but I like em.

What I really want is for an EU novel that really helps reveal gaps in the films and adds to the canon in a meaningful way. It feels like it has been forever since we had a novel like that. I really want a novel that explains the period right after Phantom Menace, when Palpatine and Dooku first meet, Dooku betrays Sifo-Dyas and reveals the early rumblings of the sepratists. Likewise, anything with Darth Plaugeis would be great!

OC47150
01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I am hoping that there won't be too many of these horror-SW cross genre books in the future. Red Harvest, by Joe Schrieber, was okay, but for someone (in a book jacket quote)to say that it had some of the humor SW fans love, I don't recall zombie killing and gore as funny, SW-wise. It had a little suspense at times and some interesting Force descriptions. I usually like books with chapter titles, but when a 240-something page book has 45+ chapters, there's not much need to give a hint of the 2-8 pages to come. Not really a SPOILER, but I'll put a somewhat funny (maybe this is what the jacket quote meant) detail below in white font:

(two words: zombie tauntauns)

On the non-scientific Bel-Cam scale of 10, I'd give it a 7.4.

I don't know what rock I've been living under for the last couple of weeks, but I just saw Red Harvest at the bookstore for the first time. Between some Borders Bucks, discounts, coupons, gift cards, etc..., I picked it up for $1.99!

I've been looking forward to RH since I first read it was going to be released. If it sucks, hey, I'm only out $1.99, not $27.

I have one or two other books to go through first before Red Harvest. Might wait until the next snowy weekend.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I've been looking forward to RH since I first read it was going to be released. If it sucks, hey, I'm only out $1.99, not $27.

I have one or two other books to go through first before Red Harvest. Might wait until the next snowy weekend.There are some scenes set in snowy conditions in RH... that might lead to nightmares for you, OC! :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Read CW Secret Missions #3: Duel at Shattered Rock. The subtitle is a bit of a misnomer, but it's actually a well-written YA book that sets up the next one, but not so cheesily so.

Here's another EU books update:
- The Art and Making of Star Wars : The Old Republic (Daniel Erickson) Hardcover 10/19/2011
- Star Wars : The Old Republic #3 (Drew Karpyshyn) Hardcover 10/18/2011
- Star Wars : The Complete Vader (Ryder Windham, Peter Vilmur) Hardcover 10/18/2011
- LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia (Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff) Hardcover 10/17/2011
- Star Wars Art : Comics (George Lucas) Hardcover 10/01/2011
- The Essential Clone Wars (Unknown) Other Format 09/29/2011
- Star Wars : Riptide (Paul S. Kemp) Mass Market Paperback 09/27/2011
- Star Wars : The Force Unleashed II (Sean Williams) Mass Market Paperback 08/30/2011
- Star Wars : Fate of the Jedi: Ascension (Christie Golden) Hardcover 08/16/2011
- Star Wars Clone Wars Incredible Vehicles (Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff) Hardcover 08/15/2011
- Star Wars : Choices of One (Timothy Zahn) Hardcover 07/19/2011
- Several 2012 Star Wars: The Saga/Clone Wars Oversized Wall/DVD/Desk Pad/Box Calendars 07/01/2011
- Star Wars Visual Dictionary of Characters (DK Publishing) Hardcover 06/20/2011
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance (Sean Williams) Mass Market Paperback 05/24/2011
- Star Wars Fate of the Jedi #7: Conviction (Aaron Allston) Hardcover 05/24/2011
- Star Wars vs. Star Trek: Could the Empire kick the Federation's [rear]? And other galaxy-shaking enigmas (Matt Forbeck) Paperback 05/18/2011
- Star Wars Fate of the Jedi #5: Allies (Christie Golden) Mass Market Paperback 04/26/2011
- A Jedi Adventure In 3-D (Pablo Hidalgo) Paperback 04/14/2011
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived (Paul S. Kemp) Hardcover 03/22/2011

And the Lost Tribe of the Sith has been an e-book series (up to #6 as of Feb. 2011).

OC47150
03-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I was just looking for Secret Missions #3 last weekend. I'll go out again and look for it.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Give y'all another update of books to come:

Star Wars: Shadow Games by: Michael Reaves
Paperback 11/29/2011

Star Wars : Inside the Production Archives: the Blueprints by: J. W. Rinzler
Hardcover 11/01/2011 (for $337.50?!?)

The Art and Making of Star Wars : The Old Republic by: Daniel Erickson
Hardcover 10/19/2011

Star Wars : The Old Republic #3 by: Drew Karpyshyn
Hardcover 10/18/2011

Star Wars : Darth Vader: A 3-D Reconstruction Log by: Scholastic
Board Book 10/01/2011

Star Wars Art: Comics by: George Lucas
Hardcover 10/01/2011 (there's a Limited Edition for $270.00, too)

The Essential Clone Wars by: Penguin
Paperback 09/29/2011

Lego Star Wars : Anakin: Space Pilot (3D) by: Scholastic
Hardcover 09/01/2011

The Essential Guide to Warfare
by: Jason Fry
Paperback March 20, 2012

Darth Plagueis
by: James Luceno
Hardcover December 27, 2011

Shadow Games
by: Michael Reaves
Paperback November 29, 2011

Star Wars Generations: Inside the Fan Phenomenon
by: Mary Franklin
Paperback October 30, 2011

Season Four Novel
by: Unknown
Hardcover October 27, 2011

OC47150
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
I was just looking for Secret Missions #3 last weekend. I'll go out again and look for it.

Still haven't found it. : (

Finished reading TOR: Deceived. Good quck read. Too bad #3 doesn't come out until October.

Star Wars Visual Dictionary of Characters (DK Publishing) Hardcover 06/20/2011: This one interests me. I have the CW visual dictionary.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Still haven't found it. : (

Finished reading TOR: Deceived. Good quck read. Too bad #3 doesn't come out until October.I found TOR: D to be a great read, especically considering there were no pre-established characters, IIRC. It's been a long time since I had a :gasp: moment while reading a SW novel, and this might've been the only one that didn't come at the end of a chapter, but in the middle. I give this an 8.5 on my patented Bel-Cam Scale with no basis.

Tycho
05-09-2011, 04:04 AM
I am really looking forward to darth plaques. James blue swede know is my favorite star wars author. I wonder if the look will be like I had hoped. It was originally supposed to be called the tragedy of stars play chess. I want to weed the story of training help a teen. And I always suspected that stars play just created anakin and that's why he had no father. Darth plagueis is immune like sand hill. But maybe he even used copa teens dna and cloning technology to make anakin?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
The next FOTJ book, Conviction, by Aaron Allston, was pretty good, especially considering the era in which it's set. It isn't often that an EU book keeps me wondering how it will end, although to be honest, it turned out to not be as "shocking" as it could have been. Threepio and Artoo have a bigger role, and there are a few decent humorous parts. I'm still not excited about HOW this multi-year series will end, at least not as much as WHEN it finally will.

OC47150
06-30-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm going to special order Secret Missions #3, since I still can't find it in the stores.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Looks like the Darth Plagueis novel (http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/darthplagueis/index.html) is coming after all, on December 27. I always like Luceno's books and I've been interested in this story since it was brought up in ROTS. I want to know more, but I also like some of the mystery, so hopefully this one is good.

El Chuxter
07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Okay, this one I'll have to check out for certain. :)

BTW, the description on borders.com reads as follows:

About the Darth Plagueis

The Yuuzhan Vong are poised to conquer the galaxy and Luke, Mara, and Jacen are missing in unknown space in this climactic final novel in the 19-book New Jedi Order series.
Uuuuuuuhhhhhhh.... They do know this isn't a reprint of The Unifying Force, right?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2011, 04:03 PM
The Sith do cloud the future with their dark side powers, you know. Always in motion, the publishing world is.

OC47150
07-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Looks like the Darth Plagueis novel (http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/darthplagueis/index.html) is coming after all, on December 27. I always like Luceno's books and I've been interested in this story since it was brought up in ROTS. I want to know more, but I also like some of the mystery, so hopefully this one is good.

I think it's an interesting character and era to explore. I'll definitely read it.

Special ordered Secret Missions #3 this week. It should arrive at my house in the next week.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
I started the newest Zahn SW novel, Choices of One today. It's set in that wonderful ANH-ESB gap, and based on the first three chapters; Thrawn, Pelleon, Mara, Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Rieekan, Palpatine, and (maybe) Vader appear (he's only referenced now). The story also brings in some aspects of Zahn's most-recent SW book, Allegiance, too. I like it so far. It's on sale at your local bookseller (perhaps even on sale at Borders :( :greedy: ).

OC47150
07-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I started the newest Zahn SW novel, Choices of One today. It's set in that wonderful ANH-ESB gap, and based on the first three chapters; Thrawn, Pelleon, Mara, Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Rieekan, Palpatine, and (maybe) Vader appear (he's only referenced now). The story also brings in some aspects of Zahn's most-recent SW book, Allegiance, too. I like it so far. It's on sale at your local bookseller (perhaps even on sale at Borders :( :greedy: ).

I saw it at Waldenbooks today for 30 - 40 percent off, with the Rewards program. I might have to pick it up.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2011, 02:11 PM
One of Timothy Zahn's best abilities as a writer is the pacing of his books; I started Choices of One yesterday afternoon, and finished it late this morning. Can we get a "cantputitdown: emoticon? ;) Since it's so newly published, I won't post any specific details (all or most would be spoilers), but I will create a top ten list (LISTS... :drool: ) of his novels soon.
Ya'know what? How 'bout now?

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN TIMOTHY ZAHN SW EU BOOKS:
10.All his Tales of... short stories (just to complete the Top 10)
9. Specter of the Past
8. Vision of the Future
7. Survivor's Quest
6. Outbound Flight
5. The Last Command
4. Allegiance
3. Choices of One (maybe it's just its "new book smell," but I really liked this one)
2. Heir to the Empire
1. Dark Force Rising

And the best part that I will post about, is that the story ends with definite possible future storylines! :thumbsup: Plus, since Luke, Leia, Han, Vader, Chewie, et al are still alive (and younger) in this time period, it'll have more of Zahn's capture-the-excitement-of-the-Classic-Trilogy style, too. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2011, 07:40 PM
The is one more book in the Fate of the Jedi series. Hooray? I finished Ascension, the penultimate book, and Christie Golden is an underrated SW author, IMHO. There were some surprises (one which made me read two more chapters to determine if what I read was legit, and another that made me re-think my predictions for the series end) and the action was smooth at times and dull at others (food for Senator gatherings? room designs?). It was decent.

OC47150
08-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm a couple of books behind in this series, but the library has been getting them.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I got the newest coffee (caf?) table book, SW Art: Comics, with a good coupon deal. I like seeing the old Marvel art, but the DH and painted covers are great, too. Not much description or background of each piece of art though, aside from the date/media/size/original source/artist label.

Tycho
10-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I am loathe to admit it, but the creator of the former comic / book review phenomenon Rogues' Gallery is out of the loop on SW books.

I do know about Darth Plageuis and I cannot wait! I love Luceno's books.

But in writing my own American Civil War novels and pursuing being published, supporting several new friends I've made during the course of my learning process and their works, I've barely had time to read for pleasure.

I delve into a lot of Civil War non-fiction for my research - and it's fascinating.

But I am keeping up with several SW comic titles as they're quick reads: Invasion, Vader, Qui-Gon, Boba Fett (when it's out), Dark Times, and Legacy (when that runs).

I'm collecting but not reading KOTOR and the other one about an early Republic Jedi. It bothers me that the galaxy is so advanced at this point - versus how it looked in Ulic Qel Droma's days - where there was even a surface on Coruscant (or at least there was during Odan-Urr's age). As soon as they portrayed the familiar senate building, it started turning me off.

I mean to start re-reading the entire SW chronology from start to finish (Golden Age to post-Millennium Falcon and Legacy, etc) but I have not yet found the time.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I am loathe to admit it, but the creator of the former comic / book review phenomenon Rogues' Gallery is out of the loop on SW books.

I do know about Darth Plageuis and I cannot wait! I love Luceno's books.

I mean to start re-reading the entire SW chronology from start to finish (Golden Age to post-Millennium Falcon and Legacy, etc) but I have not yet found the time.It's tough, even with today's digital technologies, to keep up with reading such a vast saga. Good luck, and keep it up Tycho! I am also looking forward to that long-delayed Luceno novel.

Tycho
10-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Oh, I haven't even started Bel-Cam.

It's just a thing to do - but I purposely pick out things to do that are HARD. That makes me feel accomplished and I don't finish too soon and slip into boredom.

That being said, I want to go through the whole chronology and figure out dioramas I could create with my action figures to represent as many eras of the "whole story," as possible.

From Naga Sadow to Cade Skywalker.

With figures, the earliest I can go is Exar Kun / Mandalore - though it's obvious that Cay, Nomi Sunrider, Sylvar, Warb Null and various factions of soldiers, including the Mandalorians and Krath factions are missing from the lineup. I was inspired when Darryl DePriest, who is a fan of all of it, was getting these out in the Comic 2-pack format.

However, I think the Marvel offerings killed it, IMO. That was almost all the shelf-warming 2-packs I'd find left over. They were essentially repaints of existing figures and my guess it was offered to save costs by eliminating the expense of new tooling (for yet another Darth Vader, Chewie, R2, etc?)

Bad move - we never got the Noghri (HTTE) and you know the Hasbro team wanted to make them.

Now they could bring this back - but they'd have to reissue the earlier offered characters again, else how could you have an HTTE line be viable without Luke, Mara, Thrawn, and Karrde being available - as much as I'd like the Noghri and Leia and Han in new wardrobe changes, Joruus C'Boath, a new Lando, etc.

New Jedi Order could stand for a line as well - single carded Yuuzhan Vong or army-builder packs would be great - but they are not clones and individually distinct if it's possible to craft that. Meanwhile, Jacen and Jaina could be made in OTHER outfits (Jedi, and X-wing Pilot or tan training fatigues respectively), plus there's Kyp Durron, a Jedi Corran Horn, 'Vong commanders, a Jedi Mara Jade Skywalker, Droma, etc.

Legacy comics could continue, too with Emperor and Princess Fel, Morigan Corrde, and more.

OK - you know what I'm talking about. But you could also use existing aliens like the Gotal, the Saurin, and existing troopers like the Stormtroopers and Rebel Soldiers (though they should have had new uniform changes created for them for these distant future comics) and round out your dioramas that way.

I'd love to set these things up. Harder to find the time and the room nowadays, and my "hobby" (hopefully profession) as a writer has taken over! I started wanting to write Star Wars stories. But as you're aware, I'm very opinionated, enjoy being politically incorrect and shocking, and I was told by LFL that I first needed to establish myself with my own work. (SW authors are invited because publishers promote them to LFL in hopes of popularizing them with SW fans so that their other non-SW titles sell - like Tim Zhan or Terry Brooks for examples). So there you have it.

Hopefully, the figure hobby will still be around long enough for me to get the literary characters I still want.

Feeling overwhelmed by everything and choosing to focus on my work with my own fiction (Buied Values is action-adventure concerned with American social-political life throughout our nation's history, beginning with books set during the Civil war) I have many years of already occupied time ahead of me ;)

El Chuxter
10-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I must admit, this (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34902) looks promising.

Tycho
10-14-2011, 10:39 PM
I must admit, this (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34902) looks promising.

Yes it does!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
I must admit, this (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34902) looks promising.Clicks the "Like" button.
Hmm, I might even buy the books WHEN THEY ARE RELEASED, rather than waiting for a trade paperback. :eek:

El Chuxter
10-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Even aside from finally getting this story (and not in the Clone Wars cartoon, so it won't thoroughly pee on everything else), I'm happy to see Ostrander and Duursema on a non-Legacy book. Even those two names and the talent attached to them couldn't get me interested in the fanfic festival that was Legacy.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2011, 09:43 AM
If anyone buys the new paperback of Riptide that came out recently, make sure you have the complete story. The one I bought went from page 191, 192, 193, 51, 52, 53, ... 70, 71, 227, 228, 229, ... I took it back, found one that went in the proper order to exchange, and handed the clerk the other three books in which I noticed also had the error. Did I just give away a variant collector's item? :p Apparently that part of the storyline is SO important, they printed it twice! :D

OC47150
11-06-2011, 11:08 AM
If anyone buys the new paperback of Riptide that came out recently, make sure you have the complete story. The one I bought went from page 191, 192, 193, 51, 52, 53, ... 70, 71, 227, 228, 229, ... I took it back, found one that went in the proper order to exchange, and handed the clerk the other three books in which I noticed also had the error. Did I just give away a variant collector's item? :p Apparently that part of the storyline is SO important, they printed it twice! :D

It is a variant! Rare, hard to find. ; )

That happened with me on a hardback several years ago. The clerk looked at me odd when I exchanged it.

Tycho
11-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Crimson Empire III finally came out!

And it looks good, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Here's yet one more update of upcoming books over the next few months...

Star Wars: Choices of One (6/26/2012) Timothy Zahn (paperback)
Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived (5/29/2012) Paul S. Kemp (paperback)
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare (5/22/2012) Jason Fry (paperback)
Star Wars: Scourge (4/24/2012) Jeff Grubb (paperback)
Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse (4/3/2012) Troy Denning (hardcover)
Star Wars: The Secret Life of Droids (3/19/2012) Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff (hardcover)
Star Wars: Red Harvest (2/28/2012) Joe Schreiber (paperback)
Star Wars: The Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual (1/31/2012) Ryder Windham
Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace Visual Dictionary (1/16/2012) DK Publishing Staff (hardcover)
Star Wars Beware the Sith (1/16/2012) Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff (hardcover)
Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (1/10/2012) James Luceno (hardcover)
Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul (1/1/2012) Ryder Windham (hardcover)
Star Wars Folded Flyers: Make 30 Paper Starfighters (1/1/2012) Ben Harper
Star Wars: Shadow Games (11/29/2011) Michael Reaves (paperback)
The Art and Making of Star Wars: The Old Republic (11/16/2011) Daniel Erickson (hardcover)
Star Wars The Old Republic #3: Revan (11/15/2011) Drew Karpyshyn (hardcover)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
I finished Riptide by Paul S. Kemp. I seem to have enjoyed his first book in this "series," Crosscurrent, but this newest one was only so-so. Very predictable, or either unrealistic, which are two opposing concepts that seldom blend well.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
The next SW:Old Republic book, Revan, based on the video game, was dull to start with. Predictible, flat characters, odd action (even for the try-to-make-it-seem-like-the-game-scenarios idea). But there was a twist towards the end I did not see coming. So that gives it a higher "rating" for me.

Tycho
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I am still waiting eagerly for Darth Plageuis.

I love James Luceno's writing, too.

Perfect author for the perfect subject matter.

I will buy this as soon as it's available and take the day off to read it cover to cover (except whenever there are those great moments that some authors provide that make you have to pause and go "WHOA!").

El Chuxter
11-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm very impressed with Choices of One so far. Almost done with it. The big twist regarding the identity of one character caught me by surprise.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2011, 03:52 PM
The big twist regarding the identity of one character caught me by surprise.Yes, I was quite shocked to learn that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

El Chuxter
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM
I thought Zahn was slipping. Not enough to hurt the book, but it seemed obvious. I hope there's some explanation for how you-know-who was present in mostly the same places (or convincing surrogate locations) as the other you-know-who.

Tycho
11-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Uh-oh. Sounds like there's another SW book I need to read.

Choice Of One must be really good.

OC47150
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm putting Riptide and Shadow Games on my Christmas list.

I haven't read a SW novel in a couple of months. Needed a break. I think the last one I read -- and truly enjoyed -- was Republic Commando #1.

Darth Metalmute
12-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Finally read Death Star and The Force Unleashed novels last month.

I liked Death Star, but found the new hope portions forced.

The Force Unleashed is bad at the begining but really picks up after Vader kills Gaven.

OC47150
01-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I received Riptide and Shadow Games as Christmas presents, and used some Christmas money to buy Revan. \\

Also received the Lego SW Character Guide. Cool book.

OC47150
01-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I posted this in the reading thread, but I bought Reven, Darth Plagius and Art of the Old Republic with Christmas money and gift cards. The art book will be a source of some good customs.

Tycho
01-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I started a spoiler discussion thread for Darth Plagueis in this forum. Jump in the conversation there:

1) when you've read the entire book

or

2) if you just want to post your thoughs on spoiler information without reading everyone else's posts until you complete the book.

My very first post is just speculation, and as I haven't finished reading the book yet myself, I still don't know if I'm right.

In any event, I'm giving my step-by-step impressions and just posting but not reading spoilers ahead of where I may have gotten with the story.

So far it's really good.

James Luceno is my personal favorite Star Wars author (though of course Zahn is great and I dig his stuff, too). Luceno is just darker and I like that. Labrynth of Evil, the ROTS prequel had to be one of the best SW books I've ever read.

El Chuxter
01-25-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm a good chunk into it myself.

I've decided that I'm fine with picking and choosing what EU I bother with and don't let the rest bother me. Everything prior to 1999 is fair game, though I discount most of the Marvel series. Lumiya never existed (though Shira Brie did--make sense?). The New Jedi Order is cool with me, as are all prequel-era books through about 2006 and, especially, Tatooine Ghost. The Space Bug (Joiner?) Trilogy is fairly okay, more for Luke finally learning about this parents than the stupid space bugs, and, after that, the heroes of the Rebellion enjoyed the rest of their lives in peace and the Sith never returned. Anything by Zahn and Luceno since that point is canon, too, though I have to discount some frame narratives that pretend Jacen became a Sith Lord and killed Mara or something else ludicrous that would make me laugh if they actually printed such tripe. lol Clone Wars, fugheddaboutit.

OC47150
01-25-2012, 07:17 AM
I saw the thread and avoided it like the plague!! I've only heard good things about it so far.

I want to be surprised.

Tycho
01-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Since I constantly re-read my own (2nd nove) I'm writing about 2 femme fatales (a Mafia daughter and an FBI cadet) mixed up in the drug cartel wars with victory hinging on who can recover a Civil War era treasure, I have little time to spend reading other stuff for pleasure.

But I'm slowly making progress through Darth Plagueis because I really like Luceno's writing and I really wanted to read this in particular amongst all possible Star Wars subject-matter.

However, I am fining that I actually writer FASTER and GREATER action than Luceno or possibly Zahn do.

"Labrynth of Evil" is still my favorite Luceno Star Wars novel, as it was thriller-style as Mace Windu closed in on Darth Sidious' real identity and came within a few more steps of discovering Palpatine's treachery even before ROTS, prompting Sidious to order his own (Palpatine's) kidnapping by General Grievous and Count Dooku to gain sympathy and dissuade suspicion. Ugggh! And Mace was so close to learning everything. Even though I knew he wouldn't, Luceno made me believe it was possible he would.

Then of course, when Anakin comes to him in ROTS, Mace had been thrown off the trail, but the information Skywalker brought him DID make sense, in light of his discoveries in Labrynth of Evil, when taking that into continuity.

But it's a good study to see how Luceno built suspense. I really need to read Labrynth of Evil again.

Darth Plagueis (not spoiling anything) is reading like a historical narrative, as there's no suspense build up. The Sith Lord (Sidious' master - and you all already knew that) is just going about his business thus far - but I've barely had time to cover 50 pages into the book.

By contrast, in Labrynth of Evil, Mace Windu caught the scent of the Sith and was on the hunt for the Dark Lord from the get-go if I recall correctly. So there was a clear objective from page one.

In my western novel that begins right before the Civil War, my hero figure is betrayed and ambushed because of an act of treason by another Union soldier acting as a self-serving opportunist (well, he doesn't actually have too much of a choice) and though this is not ALL that my novel is about, from the get-go, my hero is after the bad-guy's identity and a means to stop him and Southern rebels he's conspiring with. So the story opens with a bloody fight and it moves on at a pretty good pace from there.

My modern story starts with a drug cartel street war with SWAT and the National Guard having to be called in with gunships for air support (it's bad) but now that I've looked at it like the difference between Labrynth of Evil, where Mace has a clear objective, and Darth Plagueis, where the Sith Lord is just going about his business doing "Sith things," I'm not sure my 2nd novel is as strong.

My bad girl sets up a situation where she eliminates three adversaries by having her lawyer, a cop investigatinig her, and a DEA agent kill each other in a crossfire orchestrated by her design, showing just how crafty and dangerous she can be, but you really don't know exactly what she's up to in the first chapter. And the 2nd chapter is all action - the other characters are introduced as is there participation and violent capabilities shown by the next ensuing battle of the drug war.

I hope my readers would like the action, but yeah, now that I think of it, people might wonder "why are these characters there in the first place?" For now I will live with that being a mystery and see if I'm successful with the way I started my 2nd book. Still, reading Star Wars has assisted me in a way that was unexpected and I see my own writing in a new light with this epithany I just had.

I originally pursued being an author because I wanted to write Star Wars books, after writing countless reviews of them for Rogues' Gallery, when I first started at SirStevesGuide. And I was instructed to get my career started with my own work, and I tend to think about political and social subject matter for my material and create in that arena, versus science fiction where I'm primarily a fan of the established mainstream genres such as Star Wars and Star Trek.

El Chuxter
01-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh, so you haven't gotten to the sex scene with Palpatine, then? That was way unexpected.

Tycho
01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
You mean the part about how he once had a relationship with JarJar and an Ugnaught? ;)

Don't spoil this for everyone else!

If you're not joking around, then that's very intriguing.

As a writer, I'd have him involved with a previous Queen of Naboo, or King Veruna's wife or daughter. The adulterous affair is a great plot device.

Now I doubt he'd have been involved with Shmi - even though my theory is that his DNA helped father Anakin (this is speculation - not a spoiler!)

As a literary situation, if Palpatine were actually involved with Shmi Skywalker, intimately, it would be too convenient and not "creepy" enough - as though (speculation) Darth Plagueis, were involved with corporate medical care and somehow influenced what befell Shmi Skywalker that way. Well we KNOW from the movies that he was involved with Anakin's "creation" somehow, and Anakin has no Muun blood in him. But what does "influenced the midi-chlorians to create life mean?" John Edwards influences midi-chlorians to create life, as did Arnold Schwarzeneggar. They just used a more traditional method.

El Chuxter
01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I still think some riff on the fan theory that Dooku (or Plagueis) did experiments on Shmi while she was still a slave, impregnating her with Palpatine's DNA, would be the best way to go. Shmi, being an ignorant slave, would have no way to explain what happened, and would not know of a father for Anakin.

I really, really want Luceno or someone else of that caliber (Zahn, Stover, Salvatore, or Stackpole, if they can make nice with him) to eventually be given the task of chronicling the Skywalker history. According to one DK book (which may or may not be canon since it's DK, and LFL has a habit of not honoring their material), Shmi and her family were kidnapped from a transport when she was very young and sold into slavery. There have to be other Skywalkers out there that the core characters don't know they're related to. I'll wager they're Force-sensitive, too.

Darth Metalmute
01-25-2012, 04:39 PM
I just finished Darktroopers. I was enjoying it until the Doctor opened up the Seclusion hold. It was okay from there on out but there is just something unsettling about everyone's favorite convicts being everywhere. You would have thought that being attacked by the dead would change a man...

I still trying to get caught up with my EU. Do I need to read Crosscurrent and Millennium Falcon before reading the Fate of the Jedi Series?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-25-2012, 08:54 PM
You mean the part about how he once had a relationship with JarJar and an Ugnaught? ;)

Don't spoil this for everyone else!Well, from the 10 chapters I've read so far, I do recall both Gungans and Ugnaughts mentioned... :eek:

I started Shadow Games by two authors (forgot both), but I stopped once I picked up DP. All I can say about SG so far: it had both Han Solo AND Dash Rendar in it. Hmm...

I still trying to get caught up with my EU. Do I need to read Crosscurrent and Millennium Falcon before reading the Fate of the Jedi Series?The FOTJ series reads fast. MF is a great single book, and CC was just so-so. I'm just sayin'...

Tycho
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Darth Metalmute asked a question I can't answer. Please help him (see above).

Chux, I don't think the Skywalkers before Anakin were Force sensitive unless they retcon it that Shmi had some ability that she never harnessed. But Qui-Gon would have sensed that, right?

I think that ONLY Shmi had Force-sensitive "something" done to her, by Plagueis, to create Anakin. Thus HE is the first Force-sensitive Skywalker, then...

Ben Skywalker's descendants like Cole, Bantha, and Cade (and likely 1 or 2 more at least)
The Solo's - descendants of Leia through to Allanah Solo
The Fel's - descendants of Jaina Solo through Marisiah Fel

Since the youngest Force-sensitive Skywalkers we know of are female, their children will have different last names other than Solo or Fel.

If Cade has children (ever) they will be the only ones to carry the Skywalker name, but their yet-unnamed cousins will be Skywalker heirs nevertheless (of these great-great-great grand-daughters).

Thus beyond the Legacy comics, there could be at least 3 new baby "Skywalker heirs" born.

I'm OK with Jacen Solo turning to the Dark Side (now - but it might've been a waste of his strong character development) if he's the LAST ONE to go to the Dark Side. Let these future 3 heirs all be Light Side Jedi of some sort, and find a different enemy to fight - which is why I appreciated the Yuuzhan Vong so much. The Sith can be let to rest for a while, and perhaps it's the Fel Empire, if one of the 3 (2 girls for sure) dies without an heir to the throne. Maybe because of an accident? All the girls that descend from Princess Leia are hot so that can't be it. haha.

El Chuxter
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Who's Cade Skywalker? Ben's just a little kid; his mother wouldn't like him knocking up some lady. lol

In all seriousness, Jacen becoming a Sith is so insanely out of character that I consider it nothing more than godawful fanfic that happened to get published.

Darth Metalmute
01-27-2012, 11:14 PM
In all seriousness, Jacen becoming a Sith is so insanely out of character that I consider it nothing more than godawful fanfic that happened to get published.

I never really considered him a Sith. He showed Sith-esque characteristics but I thought the books did a great job portraying him that he believed that what he was doing was right, especially in the first 5 or 6 books. He wasn't really "good vs. evil" it was more of a "distorted view of the greater good."

Tycho
01-30-2012, 05:17 AM
The Sith believe they are doing good.

Might makes right and Palpatine proved how corruptive special interests are (Commerce Guild, Banking Clan) upon an elected Republic.

In a dictatorship, you have only 1 corrupt leader, not tons of them.

In the movie The Patriot, about the American Revolution, Benjamin Martin (Mel Gibson) says, "Why should I trade one tyrant, 3000 miles away, for 3,000 tyrants, one mile away?"

Human nature is corruptable, and absolute power corrupts most, but the Sith's argument that "the Jedi are doing evil, by maintaining the corrupt status quo," (Darth Vader), has legitimacy. But Vader is a hypocrite (because as Anakin Skywalker) he's not really concerned with the larger problems of the galaxy. He wants to save his wife, Padme.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Finished a stand-alone novel, Shadow Games by Michael Reaves & Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff. It started out fairly lame (Dash Rendar's ship gets damaged and has to take on a job as a bodyguard for a holostar singer), but by the end, did a decent job of tying in various storylines from the films and EU.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Update for upcoming (or supposedly out) books:

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation(11/13/2012) By Drew Karpyshyn HardCover
Star Wars: Darth Plagueis(10/30/2012) By James Luceno PaperBack
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Who Are the Jedi?(10/1/2012) By Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff HC
Star Wars Old Republic Encyclopedia(10/1/2012) By Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff HC
Star Wars Art: Illustration(10/1/2012) By LucasFilm Ltd HC
Star Wars The Old Republic #3: Revan(9/25/2012) By Drew Karpyshyn PB
Star Wars: Phonics Boxed Set(9/1/2012) By Quinlan B. Lee PB
Star Wars X-Wing: Mercy Kill(8/7/2012) By Aaron Allston HC
Star Wars Fate of the Jedi #7: Conviction(8/28/2012) By Aaron Allston PB
Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion(8/21/2012) By Pablo Hidalgo PB
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories(7/31/2012) By John Jackson Miller PB
Star Wars Omnibus: Droids and Ewoks(7/3/2012) By Warren Kremer (Artist)
Star Wars: Choices of One(6/26/2012) By Timothy Zahn PB
Sex, Politics, and Religion in Star Wars: An Anthology(6/16/2012) By Douglas Brode (Editor) HC
Myth, Media, and Culture in Star Wars: An Anthology(6/16/2012) By Douglas Brode (Editor) HC
Star Wars The Old Republic #2: Deceived(5/29/2012) By Paul S. Kemp PB
Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide, Updated&Expanded(4/30/2012) By Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff HC
Star Wars: Scourge(4/24/2012) By Jeff Grubb PB
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare(4/3/2012) By Jason Fry PB
Star Wars Fate of the Jedi #6: Vortex(3/27/2012) By Troy Denning PB
Star Wars The Secret Life of Droids(3/19/2012) By Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff HC
Guardians of the Chiss Key (Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series #4)(3/15/2012) By Ryder Windham PB
In A Galaxy Not So Far Away...The Star Wars Filming Locations of the United States(2/14/2012) By Adam R Parr PB
Star Wars: Book of Sith Secrets from the Dark Side(2/10/12) By Daniel Wallace

OC47150
03-19-2012, 07:19 AM
I found the Guardians of the Chiss Key at the bookstore last week.

If I haven't said it, I do appreciate you posting the release dates, Bel-Cam. I don't buy too many hardbacks, but knowing when some of the titles are coming out helps.

Oh, and a new X-wing novel, too!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2012, 01:08 PM
No prob. I hadn't found the Secret Missions #4 at bookstores yet but picked it up at Target today.

I like that it's Allston doing the X-Wing book instead of Stackpole; I always preferred his style to MAP's.

Looking forward to FINALLY reading the Lost Tribe of the Sith stories, as I hadn't/haven't got an e-reader yet.

OC47150
03-19-2012, 01:14 PM
No prob. I hadn't found the Secret Missions #4 at bookstores yet but picked it up at Target today.

I like that it's Allston doing the X-Wing book instead of Stackpole; I always preferred his style to MAP's.

I went out looking for the new Clone Wars comic adventure when I stumbled on the Secret Missions book at Books a Million.

I'm glad to see the X-wing series resurrected.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I read the "conclusion" of the Secret Missions series, book #4, Guardians of the Chiss Key. I don't think I will spoilerize to say that the end leaves opportunities for future stories, as many series have done. To be honest, I'm still not sure what the subtitle of the book is supposed to mean.

Oh, I realized I'd started the third "Decide Your Destiny" Clone Wars book, Tethan Battle Adventure, but never finished it. Well, now I have, and my life is completely different having done so. Or is it?
If you want your life completely changed, turn to page 138;
If you want your life to stay the same, turn to page 18;
If you decide to follow the old man down the tunnel; turn to page 113.

mtriv73
03-27-2012, 12:41 PM
BCJ, you can download a free kindle app for your computer and read the lost tribe stories on that.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2012, 07:18 PM
That series was the one I thought I'd never get to read on paper; having it all in one volume is a looking-forward-to niceness.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
I finally got around to finishing Scourge by first-time SW author Jeff Grubb. Not bad, especially considering it has no pre-established characters in it. Set in the New Republic era (post-ROJ, pre-Yuuzhan Vong), it follows a Jedi Master who investigates his apprentice's death, then gets mixed up in a spice ring of the Hutts, a duo of smugglers, and a Corporate Sector commander who patrols the region. It's a stand-alone story that could be continued or end right there; nobody I'd demand get their own story or be included in the continuing EU.

OC47150
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I finally got around to finishing Scourge by first-time SW author Jeff Grubb. Not bad, especially considering it has no pre-established characters in it. Set in the New Republic era (post-ROJ, pre-Yuuzhan Vong), it follows a Jedi Master who investigates his apprentice's death, then gets mixed up in a spice ring of the Hutts, a duo of smugglers, and a Corporate Sector commander who patrols the region. It's a stand-alone story that could be continued or end right there; nobody I'd demand get their own story or be included in the continuing EU.

I came across Scrounge by accident. Forgot or didn't know it was being released. It looks interesting.

Finished Splinter of the Mind's Eye the other night.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I came across Scrounge by accident. Forgot or didn't know it was being released. It looks interesting.

Finished Splinter of the Mind's Eye the other night.I forgot to mention that there were a number of grammatical and word errors, more than I'd expect from a publisher-released book.

What'd you think of SotME? I still put it among my favorite EU novels, considering its age and early publishing in the SW canon.

OC47150
06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I hate to admit it, but it was the first time I'd read it all the way through. I remember starting it a couple of times, but never finishing it. Don't know why.

I enjoyed it. I like the fact that it was written before the SW canon was in cement. I kept trying to picture Grammel as an action figure.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2012, 05:26 PM
It's not as easy to copy & paste upcoming EU info, as I now have to click on each entry to find release dates, but here's what's due out next...

Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse (paperback, A. Allston) 2/26/13
Scoundrels (hardback, T. Zahn) 12/26/12
Fate of the Jedi: Ascension (paperback, C. Golden) 11/27/12
Star Wars & History (hardback, N. Reagin & J. Liedl) 11/20/12
Old Republic: Annihilation (hardback, D. Karpyshyn) 11/13/12
Star Wars: A Galactic Pop-Up Adventure [Limited Edition] (hardcover, $300 :eek: ) 11/1/12
Darth Plagueis (paperback, J. Luceno) 10/30/12
A Brief Guide to Star Wars [unauthorized] (paperback, B. Robb) 10/30/12
Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection 35 Years (paperback, S. Sansweet) 10/17/12
Star Wars Old Republic Encyclopedia (hardcover, DK Publ.) 10/17/12
Star Wars Essential Reader’s Companion (paperback, P. Hildalgo) 10/2/12
Crimson Empire III (trade paperback, P. Gulacy) 10/2/12
Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary (hardback, DK Publ.) 9/28/12
Old Republic: Revan (paperback, D. Karpyshyn) 9/25/12
Fate of the Jedi: Conviction (paperback, A. Allston) 8/28/12
X-Wing #10: Mercy Kill (hardback, A. Allston) 8/7/12
Star Wars Origami (paperback, C. Alexander) 8/7/12
Lost Tribe of the Sith Collected Stories (paperback, J. Miller) 7/24/12

As always, any Timothy Zahn book is bound to be good, and the Sansweet book could be awesome or terribly disappointing. The History book is how real world history mirrors the films (if I read the blurb right). I really liked the Allston X-Wing books, too.

OC47150
07-08-2012, 11:29 AM
The Lost Tribe of the Sith book intrigues me.

I'm hoping DK will have a booth at C6 with some of these books featured.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2012, 10:42 PM
The Lost Tribe of the Sith book intrigues me.

I'm hoping DK will have a booth at C6 with some of these books featured.When I broke down and bought an e-reader (Nook), those short stories were free, so I've read the first three of the eight. But this said in the collection book there'd be extra parts not yet published. It's okay so far.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
I haven't started reading it yet, but the Book of Sith is AWESOME! :thumbsup: Will report back after finishing it all.

OC47150
07-14-2012, 12:09 PM
A couple of titles announced at Comic Con. Two are stand-alones.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff
What: Paperback original title.
When: Spring 2013
Another fast-paced, action-packed Star Wars stand-alone mass market original by New York Times bestselling authors Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff!

Ever since Emperor Palpatine's Order 66--which called for the execution of all Jedi--Jax Pavan is the last Knight around to fight the dark side of the Force. Together with his droid I-5, Jax has eluded Vader time and again, all the while wreaking havoc against the Empire through the underground resistance on Coruscant. But now the Rebel's leader on the city-planet has been captured, and it's up to the Last Jedi to ride again...possibly for one final adventure. (Cover illustration by Gene Moloica and cover design by Scott Biel.)

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void by Tim Lebbon
What: Paperback original title
A stand-alone mass market tie-in to the successful comic book series, Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, written by fantasy novelist, Tim Lebbon.

Star Wars: Crucible by Troy Denning
What: Hardcover original
Han, Luke, and Leia are back in action--older and wiser, but as ready as ever to leap headlong into adventure!

Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They've earned the right to rest on their laurels and let the younger generation shoulder the burden--but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive... (Cover illustration by Cliff Nielsen and cover design by Scott Biel.)