PDA

View Full Version : What is the price of movie tickets at your local theater?

Tycho
07-01-2006, 05:27 PM
This came up in the X-men thread, but I think it deserves its own topic (which may not last long) but: "What's the price of movie tickets at your local theater?"

Here we had $10 per ticket (to Superman Returns) and I think it was about the same for DaVinci Code and I'm sure it was for X-men 3. I saw DaVinci at a different theater than the other 2.

By the way, what was the ticket prices prior?

I think most of my college life it was $7 for the later shows.

You used to be able to go to an early afternoon show for $3.50 or $4, but my local theaters don't seem to have matinee prices anymore. You just pay the $10 for a show at any time.

I think they started this during an intermediate price period when it was $8 per ticket with no matinee prices.

Some places still had $1 theaters for old movies, like in 1997 when the special editions had been playing for months and they moved them to smaller, older theaters. I don't know if any of those exist any more. Development tends to overrun those spaces because the real estate in California could be put to much more in-demand use (such as mixed use housing) now.

So what are you paying at the movies?

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Matinees are $7.75 here, and the theater's not all that great. You pay a crapload, sit through a bunch of lame ads before the trailers, and put up with morons talking through the movie.

And they wonder why attendance is down. It has nothing to do with DVDs.

Darth Jax
07-01-2006, 05:36 PM
prices are $9, $10 to see a movie on a imax sized screen in denver (least at the theaters in my part of town). we do still have the dollar theater, of sorts, since it's $3. you can get matinee prices before 2 and save $2. best bet is the drive-in - $12 carloads for a double feature.

Tycho
07-01-2006, 06:08 PM
It has nothing to do with DVDs.

Were you being sarcastic? Everything you listed - people's rude behavior, the commercials before even the previews begin - all point to things you avoid by having a home theater and DVD.

Still I dont think it's a social or fun as camp-outs before big releases like Superman Returns, or the lightsaber fighting we all did for hours before Revenge of the Sith - that's part of the experience. I plan to wait for hours for Transformers once that actually gets out here in theaters!

I know where I'll be July 3rd waiting for it to turn midnight...

2-1B
07-01-2006, 06:10 PM
$5.50 for a matinee of Superman Returns.

Kidhuman
07-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I dont even know. I havent been to the movies in over a year.

LusiferSam
07-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I just got back from X-Men 3 and the matinée was $6.00. The regular price was $7.50 and $6.50 for seniors and students :lipsrsealed: .

JimJamBonds
07-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Its either $8.50 or $8.75 in the Green Bay, Wi area I don't quite remember.

UKWildcat
07-01-2006, 09:08 PM
$6.50 Matinee, $8.50 Regular

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Were you being sarcastic? Everything you listed - people's rude behavior, the commercials before even the previews begin - all point to things you avoid by having a home theater and DVD.

I meant in the way that they were complaining about on the Oscars. They implied that it was the rapid production of DVDs, not problems with the theatergoing experience, that were resulting in ticket sales dropping.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-02-2006, 12:18 AM
The marquee in front of my local moviehouse.

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 02:22 AM
$8 for regular shows
$5 for matinees

But my local theater is a classic Hollywood Moviehouse and it's an independent, so they don't gouge like every other theater in the area (especially the f'ing Arclight, they have some nerve charging $14 per seat and $11 per matinee, I know some movie fans love it there and some boozehounds too since a couple of the auditoriums there are 21+ so you can bring drinks from their bar, but I think the whole concept is a bit of a joke and way way overpriced).

Tycho
07-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Who would want to drink when going to the movies? You'd miss something when you had to get up and pee.

Only because I bought the DVD did I just now learn that Darth Vader is really Luke Skywalker's father. Did you know that? I knew I shouldn't have been drinking as a 6 year old!

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 02:58 AM
The Europeans apparently are big on drinking and cinemaizing, it's one of those weird oddities between us and them like how they put mayo on fries. :p Plus, you don't think drinking a 64 ounce Mountain Dew during a film will send you to the restroom? :D

Kidhuman
07-02-2006, 03:22 AM
You gotta have a strong bladder to drink and sit through a 3 hr movie, or have a cathedar installed.

trandoshan666
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Who would want to drink when going to the movies? You'd miss something when you had to get up and pee.

About 95 percent of the time, I see movies at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, where I have been known to buy buckets o' beer. It just adds to the experience. Then again, I have a strong bladder. :lipsrsealed: Movie tickets cost $8 at the door, but everyone buys online, so we pay a $1-per-ticket booking fee.

It's an independent movie chain, so the shows never have commercials before the trailers, there's a full menu, and talking and kids aren't allowed, either, so it's worth the extra buck. :thumbsup:

Tycho
07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Sounds nice Trandoshan. When you said "there's a full menu," I assume you mean you can order chicken strips or a burger with your movie?

That would be awesome. Do they have fewer shows and require people to come to the theater early to order their meals so that a waiter's not walking in front of someone's view of a movie?

Do they show new releases (like this is Superman's opening weekend)?

darthvyn
07-02-2006, 01:42 PM
it was $11 (including one-dollar fandango surcharge) per ticket for superman returns on long island, comparable in NYC (at the theater...) getting really expensive.

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 03:02 PM
You gotta have a strong bladder to drink and sit through a 3 hr movie, or have a cathedar installed.This is why when I saw LOTR 2 and 3 I didn't buy a drink, and because no drink, I only got a ridiculously-small popcorn (and I loves me some movie popcorn, no butter, just a big ol' bag o' corn, one time while living in Phoenix, the local theater had a deal where you buy a large and get a free refill, I don't remember what the movie was but I killed a large and half the refill... then spent almost an hour in their bathroom afterwards :D).

I suppose alcohol could explain why so many bad movies are being made these days, any POS can seem like a great time when you're loaded. :p

trandoshan666
07-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Sounds nice Trandoshan. When you said "there's a full menu," I assume you mean you can order chicken strips or a burger with your movie?

That would be awesome. Do they have fewer shows and require people to come to the theater early to order their meals so that a waiter's not walking in front of someone's view of a movie?

Do they show new releases (like this is Superman's opening weekend)?
With regard to the food, it's well beyond just burgers, sandwiches, etc. They have a chef who designs the menus, etc. And as far as the movies they get are concerned, yeah, it's all the big stuff. One of the Alamos in town gets a lot of independent movies, but the one near me, called "The Village," plays mostly blockbusters. http://www.drafthouse.com/

Tycho
07-02-2006, 03:28 PM
So do you have to order before the movie? Do you carry-in your food like in most movie-theaters, or does a waiter actually serve you?

What if you want desert or another item to eat during the movie? Do you get it yourself, or are waiters walking in front of the movie screen to check on their tables?

I can't see that being any bit more appealing than a screaming kid.

trandoshan666
07-02-2006, 04:29 PM
So do you have to order before the movie? Do you carry-in your food like in most movie-theaters, or does a waiter actually serve you?

What if you want desert or another item to eat during the movie? Do you get it yourself, or are waiters walking in front of the movie screen to check on their tables?

I can't see that being any bit more appealing than a screaming kid.

The waiters serve you. You write down your orders and stick the paper in a little clip, so it stands up and they can see it. They come by and grab it, and then bring your food/drink; you can order as many times as you want during a show. The whole process—and the clinking of silverware, glasses, plates, bottles, etc.—really bothered me the first time I ever went there, but after that I got used to it. Now I don't really notice. Another cool feature is if someone's talking in the theater, you just write a note and clip it like you would your order, and the server will get someone to remove them from the theater. It's rather enjoyable.
Oh, and they don't really walk in front of the movie screen when they serve you—some locations are stadium-style, so they're lower than the tables. It really isn't disruptive.

Slicker
07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Theaters in my area (Virginia Beach) generally charge around $8.50. We too have some of the theaters that serve food but I've never been to one as eating while trying to enjoy a movie I've never seen would be rather distracting.

Tycho
07-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Those theaters sound like they are expensive to build, Trandoshan.

With movie theater ticket sales declining, I wonder if they'll be in trouble or if the whole dinner & a movie (at the same time) experience will become the new nitch to get people back into theaters again. Still it's not the same thing as home theater where you control the pause button for food and bathroom breaks.

Hey, don't get me wrong: I'd personally like to have a theater such as yours around here - I'd go and order and eat too, probably.

It just sounds like a big financial gamble.

Turbowars
07-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Here in Burbank CA the cost to see a movie is 8 and 10. If you buy on-line there a 1 fee for each ticket, but if you are a member of the Movie goer program there's no fee.

trandoshan666
07-02-2006, 05:16 PM
I think you're right about it being a gamble. That's the only reason I can think that they aren't more prevalent. They're immensely popular locally, but that's about it.

Like I said, I didn't care for it much the first time I went, but it grew on me quicker than expected. One negative aspect is that when I've gone to traditional multiplexes since I started seeing movies at the Alamo, I've found that the experience is lacking, IMO. So, subconsciously, I find myself waiting to Netflix movies that I might've planned on seeing on the big screen but avoided just because they didn't come to an Alamo. Kind of weird, I know.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2006, 05:26 PM

Only because I bought the DVD did I just now learn that Darth Vader is really Luke Skywalker's father. Did you know that? I knew I shouldn't have been drinking as a 6 year old!Actually in a seriousness, the last movie I left to "go" was ESB, the first time I'd ever seen it. Guess what scene my body decided it wouldn't "hold on" anymore? Vader & Luke battling lightsabers. I came back, Luke has his hand getting replaced and Lando's got the Falcon. Next time I went to school, everyone's talking about "did you hear about Vader as Luke's father?" D'oh! I have never, nev-er left a theater to go since. (and yes, I go before, and no, I haven't gone during, thank you very much! :mad: :rolleyes: ).

Cost of "regular" movie: $9.75
Cost of matinee (only on Fridays and Saturdays :confused: ): $7.75
Cost of military or children or seniors: $7.00

I don't buy food at the theaters; I eat before or after. I don't like to eat and listen anyway. What if there's a spooky scary scene and I put my butter-filled hand to my face? Eww! Or spill my Ultra Vat O' Pop all over me? Gross! :eek:

bobafrett
07-02-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure, it has been a long while since I have had enough time to watch a movie. I have missed many movies that I have wanted to see opening weekend. My son wanted to go see Superman this weekend, but I have to pay the rent.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-02-2006, 09:24 PM
I have all my ticket stubs since TPM. I also did a search of all my transactions in Quicken and found the following info going back to 1996.

7/21/96 ... $3.00 for Independence Day for a matinee. I seem to recall the price being $3.00 for quite some time before that, and I think $5.00 or $5.50 for evening shows.

The price for a matinee remained $3.00 as late as 8/3/98 when I saw Saving Private Ryan. Since then, this is what I've paid:

$3.25 ... 11/21/98 for The Waterboy through 3/28/99 for October Sky

$3.75 ... 5/12/99 for TPM advance ticket through 9/11/99 for TPM (7th and final theater viewing)

$4.00 ... 6/24/00 for Titan A.E.

$4.75 ... 6/2/01 for Shrek through 12/10/01 for Fellowship of the Ring advance ticket.

$5.00 ... 12/31/01 for Fellowship of the Ring through 11/16/02 for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

$5.50 ... 5/26/03 for Matrix Reloaded through 5/20/05 for second ROTS viewing.

$5.75 ... 6/11/05 for ROTS third viewing through 5/27/06 for DaVinci Code. That was the last movie I saw in the theater.

I rarely see evening shows. I have these on shows on record, though:

$7.00 ... 11/24/00 for Unbreakable
$7.25 ... 5/16/02 for AOTC
$8.00 ... 5/18/02 for ROTS

I was just checking prices on Fandango and they appear to be $6.00 for matinees and $8.50 for evening shows. Children appear to be $6.00 for all shows, and seniors $5.50.

I got my Star Wars Episode I advance ticket on 5/12/99 for $3.75. I think this was about the time the theaters switched from being Act III to Regal Cinemas. The stubs for the first four times I saw it say Act III, while the stub for when I saw it on 6/25/99 says Regal Cinema. So I don't know if they switched between my 4th and 5th viewing, or if they just used up the leftover tickets.

I don't buy food at the theater anymore. I don't want to hold onto it for the whole movie or set in on the floor and forget it. Plus, I'm not going to pay those kind of prices, even if they do donate money to the Will Rogers Institute or whatever.

The ads and trailers don't bother me so much. I usually get to the theater early, and I usually go alone, so it's something to keep things interesting until the movie starts. What bugs me is that with all of these ads, you'd think that would help the theaters keep prices down. Instead, prices keep going up. Matinee prices have doubled in 8 years.

Tycho
07-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Thank you for that very thorough report MSP!

I usually go to evening shows myself - that's why they're higher.

I do get my tickets on Fandango a lot, bu they'll charge whatever my local theater charges - they don't set the price. Fandango makes their money off the $1 convenience fee.

Meanwhile, where are you that movies are still about $2 cheaper than theaters in San Diego?

Ah, nevermind. Washington State - I saw that now as soon as I hit "post." Thankful for the edit button, else I'd look dumber than I do already.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Thank you for that very thorough report MSP!

I usually go to evening shows myself - that's why they're higher.

I do get my tickets on Fandango a lot, bu they'll charge whatever my local theater charges - they don't set the price. Fandango makes their money off the $1 convenience fee.

Meanwhile, where are you that movies are still about $2 cheaper than theaters in San Diego?

Ah, nevermind. Washington State - I saw that now as soon as I hit "post." Thankful for the edit button, else I'd look dumber than I do already.
Prices may be more expensive in the Seattle area. I recall in the early 90's when the prices were still $3 and $5.50, a friend of mine was saying that it was more like $7 down there for the evening shows. Also, I went down to Seattle in 2002 to see an AOTC matinee at the Cinerama. The price was $7.

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2006, 09:23 AM
With my student discount, my wife and I get in for $10.50.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2006, 11:16 AM
$5.50 for a matinee showing

$7.50 for the evening shows

I cannot complain about the theater here in my town. I moved here from Raleigh where the crowds were bad and the moviegoing experience was a hassle. Here things are better and more laid back.
I did however have to tell one guy to shut the hell up before superman started. I was not about to let one jerk ruin the movie I had been waiting for for so long.

JediTricks
07-03-2006, 03:48 PM
The concessions stand is what keeps your local theaters in business, if we didn't buy overpriced hot dogs and popcorn and soda, they'd have to close down because the studios take as high as 90% of the ticket sales in the most important first few weeks. The price hikes are the costs of doing business when prices are going up and less people are buying concessions and the studios are taking all the money while cranking out garbage that less and less people want to see. So when I go to the movies, I prefer to do matinee prices and spend the money on soda and popcorn.

trandoshan666
07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
This is a great thread, Tycho. :thumbsup: It's interesting not only to find out what everyone's paying per ticket, but also to see how people's expectations vary when it comes to what they think the movie theater experience should be.

Tycho
07-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks Trandoshan. I didn't try to write an interesting discussion. It just felt interesting to begin with.

On that note JediTricks brought up and interesting sub-topic: concessions.

I don't buy anything at the theater. I carry gum (always anyway) for fresh breath and generally wind up munching on two pieces during a show (about 1 every hour).

Cokes (softdrinks, "Pop" for you midWesterners) are around $8 a soda (for you Minne-soda-ins) in my theater (that's probably the large - reg might only be $6 - and I'm not kidding - and there is no small). It's the same stuff that they call "Sam's Choice" in machines outside of Wal-Mart that you can still get for around $0.50 a can, but at the movies they come with less drinkable beverage and more ice cubes (unless you order it "no ice" and pray that the cannisters of crap they spew out through their fountains are kept chilled somewhere (they usually are in most fast-food places). I don't even like popcorn (caramel coated style once in a long while if it's also heavily buttered - but what a high cholesterol, empty calorie bag of junk your body doesn't need???) I don't eat hotdogs - hey if the kidney doctors tell me they're bad for me because of my condition - why do you all think they must be great for you? (OK at baseball games they're kind of tradition, but stadium seating at a movie theater doesn't mean you're going to catch a foul ball). And candy sold for $3.50 or higher that generally costs $1 in a grocery store (where I don't even buy it then anyway)?

I do the dinner-and-a-movie thing, or movie-and-then-dinner thing (substitute lunch or even breakfast occasionally if the time of day dictates it), but I don't eat at theaters.

I think the day after it opened and we saw the midnight show for ROTS, one of my best friends and I went out to I-HOP for breakfast, saw ROTS, went to Ruby's (50's style gormet hamburger place) for lunch, then saw ROTS again.
I bought nothing at the movie theater, but rather each time I spent $8-10 or barely any more, I got a full meal with salad, fries, and a shake or pancakes, syrup, eggs, etc. with a table in front of me and the ability to concentrate on my food without some corrupt, old man Ordering 66 or something.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Cokes (softdrinks, "Pop" for you midWesterners) are around $8 a soda (for you Minne-soda-ins) in my theater (that's probably the large - reg might only be $6 - and I'm not kidding - and there is no small). It's the same stuff that they call "Sam's Choice" in machines outside of Wal-Mart that you can still get for around $0.50 a can,Holy intercoursing excrement! I wouldn't pay $8 for a soft drink even if it was some 48 oz. Big Gulp thing or something.

I don't eat hotdogs - hey if the kidney doctors tell me they're bad for me because of my condition - why do you all think they must be great for you? Indeed. With a kidney condition, hot dogs are best to be avoided. When I was young, my mom didn't like me to have more than one hot dog, and I did not have any sort of condition. One time in my college years when I was in Alaska fishing with my dad, he made hot dogs, but we had no hot dog buns. We used regular sandwich bread instead. You slice the hot dogs in half length-wise and you can fit two on a sandwich. I had two and a half sandwiches that night = 5 hot dogs. That may have been the year my blood pressure was a bit high when I had my sports physical after returning home. That just gave mom more reason to nag me any time I eat something with too much sodium. However, I had a physical in May for the first time in 14 years and my blood pressure was fine.

I bought nothing at the movie theater, but rather each time I spent $8-10 or barely any more, I got a full meal with salad, fries, and a shake or pancakes, syrup, eggs, etc. with a table in front of me and the ability to concentrate on my food without some corrupt, old man Ordering 66 or something.Yes, when I go out to eat, I want to make sure I get plenty to eat for my money. Buffets rule.

JediTricks
07-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Cokes (softdrinks, "Pop" for you midWesterners) are around $8 a soda (for you Minne-soda-ins) in my theater (that's probably the large - reg might only be $6 - and I'm not kidding - and there is no small). Honestly, I don't believe you at all there, in LA I've seen no higher than $5 for the large w/free refill, generally it's like $3.25, $4.25, $4.50 for soda. And, once again, nobody calls them all "Cokes" or "pop" here in LA, if you ask for a "Coke" you either get Coca Cola or they say "we have Pepsi, do you want that?" Maybe you should find out what's in that gum of yours. ;)

unless you order it "no ice" and pray that the cannisters of crap they spew out through their fountains are kept chilled somewhere (they usually are in most fast-food places)Almost nobody shoots fountain drinks chilled, and they don't generally come in canisters anymore, they come in bags within boxes, & the CO2 is in a tank.

With hot dogs, it's not just the ridiculously-high sodium, nearly all have nitrates and nitrites (preservatives that are toxic).

El Chuxter
07-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Even $3 is $2 too much for a Coke. Sugar-coated goat pee with bubbles is all that is, and I can go in the backyard, get some goat pee, mix some sugar in, and blow bubbles with a straw and I'm looking at, what, $0.25 for the sugar, tops.

jjreason
07-03-2006, 09:05 PM
You have a goat? Jesus, Chux, admitting that in certain places might get you ridiculed.

6.75 for general admission, I'm very happy with that price. :thumbsup:

Tycho
07-03-2006, 10:55 PM
JT, if I really want to do something stupid, I can walk into the AMC Mission Valley 20 or whatever it is, and ask if I can just come in, buy a large Coke (I'll make it a Mr. Pibb or Dr. Pepper actually) and then scan my receipt and post it here. All in all, plus gas to drive over there (it's actually really close) it would cost $10 to prove my point. I could see a movie for that!

Almost nobody shoots fountain drinks chilled, and they don't generally come in canisters anymore, they come in bags within boxes, & the CO2 is in a tank.

I can usually order "no ice" and be quite satisfied that it's cold enough though. When they have self-serve fountains, I also don't use ice. Why is the temperature still refreshingly cold enough though?

With hot dogs, it's not just the ridiculously-high sodium, nearly all have nitrates and nitrites (preservatives that are toxic).

I know and agree. Why do people say "Hebrew National Kosher Hot Dogs" are better for you then? It's the same stuff. To be Kosher it just has to be blessed by a rabbi, right? That doesn't change the sodium in the ingredients.

Turbowars
07-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Damn you guys are cheap.:grin: There's noway I can go see a movie without copped corn. Unless I ate just before the film. The theaters around here let you bring in your own stuff, so it's not a big deal like it used to be.

Tycho, I hope when you take a girl out to the movies you aren't as cheap.;)

Tycho
07-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Is copped corn the kind you get arrested for? Like the type you roll in a husk there Turbo? ;)

I take her to dinner with me first. The last date I had at the movies (Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth) we ate at a fine dining Italian restaurant prior to the show ($35-50 for both of us). We were both full and had to even take carry-out. So no, we didn't need any overpriced concessions.

The next date movie I'll be going to (she didn't want to wait in line for hours to see Superman on a weeknight opening) will be Adam Sandler's "Click." I think we'll be seeing that in the next few days or next weekend. I'm more casual with my plans for non-geekazoid movies. As for Transformers, well, I'm going to begin camping out for it right after Comic Con. I bet I'll be first in line but I'll then have less than a whole year to wait to see Optimus Prime! :crazed:

JediTricks
07-04-2006, 03:59 PM
JT, if I really want to do something stupid, I can walk into the AMC Mission Valley 20 or whatever it is, and ask if I can just come in, buy a large Coke (I'll make it a Mr. Pibb or Dr. Pepper actually) and then scan my receipt and post it here. All in all, plus gas to drive over there (it's actually really close) it would cost $10 to prove my point. I could see a movie for that!Please do, especially an AMC since I've been to AMCs in 2 states whose prices are vastly different in everything else and the AMC theaters in both - whose ticket prices varied even - had the same exact prices for concessions as each other (which sucked in Arizona since everything else was cheaper).

I can usually order "no ice" and be quite satisfied that it's cold enough though. When they have self-serve fountains, I also don't use ice. Why is the temperature still refreshingly cold enough though?The CO2 in the tanks is cooler all by itself generally.

I know and agree. Why do people say "Hebrew National Kosher Hot Dogs" are better for you then? It's the same stuff. To be Kosher it just has to be blessed by a rabbi, right? That doesn't change the sodium in the ingredients.The general ingredients, the cooking site, and the cooking methods have to be overseen by a rabbi who then blesses them as clean to kosher standards. The FDA defines a legal amount of rat poop, insects, inedible cuts of meat, and other horrors to go into hot dogs, so while Hebrew National uses nitrites (but not nitrates), they don't allow that other unpleasantness in their food. The sodium in hot dogs isn't just for flavor, it's also one of the main preservatives, so they're not likely to get rid of it - and actually, their hot dogs are lower in sodium than Oscar Mayer's, 370 per beef frank vs 461.

scruffziller
07-04-2006, 04:19 PM
$4.00 Matinee

$6.00 Regular.

bobafrett
07-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Scruffziller, check out my avatar!

Tycho
07-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Scruffziller, check out my avatar!

With the mustache, you look like a long-haired Tom Selleck.

Without, I'm guessing David Hasselhoff. Now you need a black Trans-Am and a black leather jacket, red shirt, and blue jeans, and boots...

Oh, that'd be great for Halloween - or even the Chicago Wizard Con if you're going to that. (isn't it in Chicago?)

Boba Frett is Barry: The Knight Rider!

Slicker
07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Scruffziller, check out my avatar!That's creepy Frett. You two look nearly identical.

bobafrett
07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
That's creepy Frett. You two look nearly identical.

I think his hair is a bit darker though. That's the way I wore my hair on the 4th of July.

With the mustache, you look like a long-haired Tom Selleck.

Without, I'm guessing David Hasselhoff. Now you need a black Trans-Am and a black leather jacket, red shirt, and blue jeans, and boots...

Oh, that'd be great for Halloween - or even the Chicago Wizard Con if you're going to that. (isn't it in Chicago?)

Boba Frett is Barry: The Knight Rider!

I wish I looked more like the two gentlemen you mentioned, I would be neck deep in women, well those women who just aren't after wealthy movie stars.

El Chuxter
07-06-2006, 09:37 AM
There's another article on Yahoo! News today about how Hollywood needs a huge smash to help out its lackluster summer sales.

Let's see. . . We're looking at about $7-$8 on average per person for a matinee, refreshments cost as much or more, the worthless theater employees won't kick out the jackholes who talk through the movie, you have to sit through ads (not just previews) before the movie, and you invariably have to sit next to a guy with stinky feet on one side and a crying baby on the other.

Or the same movie studio will put out the same movie, possibly even a longer version of it, two months from now. It will be on sale for $15 the first week, and after two more months will be regularly priced at $13. And chances are you have a better sound system at home than the movie theater does.

Are these guys morons that make the recording industry moguls look like innovative geniuses or what?

basschick
07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
makes sense to me!

our local theater charges $4.50 for matinees and i love it there - and since local theaters are mostly charging over $10 per ticket, the $4.50 price is appreciated. on the other hand, the studios are churning out plenty of crap so i'd rather do more to support the theater. if - and that sure hasn't happened much recently - a movie comes out i really like, i'll see it several times so the studios can get their cut.

The concessions stand is what keeps your local theaters in business, if we didn't buy overpriced hot dogs and popcorn and soda, they'd have to close down because the studios take as high as 90% of the ticket sales in the most important first few weeks. The price hikes are the costs of doing business when prices are going up and less people are buying concessions and the studios are taking all the money while cranking out garbage that less and less people want to see. So when I go to the movies, I prefer to do matinee prices and spend the money on soda and popcorn.

Ji'dai
07-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Rirst-run theatre ticket pricing:
All shows starting before 6:00 PM are $6.00
After 6:00 PM, children (12 and under) are $6.00, seniors are $7.00, and adults are $8.00

The company that runs the local first-run theatres also has a "Five Buck Movie Club." Club sign up is free and you receive a credit card sized membership card through the mail. Every Thursday, you get e-mailed show times of movies that are being offered with a five dollar admission. Usually, they are films that have "played a certain number of weeks — at least two — but occasionally more, we are able to offer you a discounted price, so admission to those films will be available to club members for only $5."

The second-run "dollar" theatres range from a buck to three or four dollars. They often offer free movies once a week during the summer for kids. Corpse Bride is the free show right now.