PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (SPOILERS)

General_Grievous
07-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm surprised. Movie's less than a week away and no thread in sight. Huh. Anyway, I'm fully expecting this to be one of the best movies of 2006. More pirates, more Cap'n Jack, more Keira Knightley......box office gold. :)

JimJamBonds
07-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I'll be checking it out that is for sure. As far as no other threads about the movie I know there is another one here someplace. :D

El Chuxter
07-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I want to see it, but my expectations aren't much. Too many sequels aren't up to par with the originals, and the weird magic in this seems iffy. But Kiera Knightley, Johnny Depp, and Orlando Bloom? I'd watch those three sit on a couch passing gas for two hours.

General_Grievous
07-01-2006, 08:52 PM
But Kiera Knightley, Johnny Depp, and Orlando Bloom? I'd watch those three sit on a couch passing gas for two hours.
And you'd know that would be the highest grossing (pun intended) movie of all time. :D

darko666
07-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Davey Jones and his crew, not to mention the kracken look amazing. this along with Kiera Knightley are my reasons for seeing this movie. i liked the first movie, and from reading reviews on the sequel, i expect this to be much better. plus you can't go wrong with a movie that has pirates in it.

Jargo
07-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I only got round to watching curse of the black pearl last week and loved that. so I'm itching to see DMC. I hope Mr. Depp's accent has improved but that aside I can't fault the first movie.

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 01:10 AM
I am not expecting to like it as much as I did the first one, but the first one is tough because of HOW good it is and how well it was able to adapt the notion of the theme park ride's plot to the movie. DMC seems to be going a different way, something more epic and alien, which I'm not sure I'm into (I seem to be in the minority in my trepidation over squidfaced Davy Jones), but I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

Kidhuman
07-02-2006, 01:24 AM
Actually there was/is a thread on this.....

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30439&highlight=pirates

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Is there any truth to the matter that this movie is rated ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR? :Pirate:

JimJamBonds
07-02-2006, 11:08 PM
I only got round to watching curse of the black pearl last week and loved that. so I'm itching to see DMC. I hope Mr. Depp's accent has improved but that aside I can't fault the first movie.

2009 is a long time to wait to see DMC.

scruffziller
07-03-2006, 06:43 AM
I got from the impression that the Dead Man's Chest is in fact Davey Jones'
"foot" Locker.

Ji'dai
07-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this one on Friday. And kinda dreading it too. Good or bad, this will be the first film I've seen in a theatre since ROTS.

I read a report on USA Today that Keith Richards is in talks to play Jack Sparrow's father in the third film. Depp said he based his portrayal of the good captain's mien and manner on the aging rocker.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-07-04-pirates-richards_x.htm

Kidhuman
07-04-2006, 08:44 PM
The old fogey wont even need make up.

figrin bran
07-05-2006, 10:42 AM
i read the same report about good ol' (and emphasis on old) keith in today's l.a. times.

my question is mr. richards actually still alive or just being kept alive by a steady IV stream of alcohol and other substances? ;)

JimJamBonds
07-05-2006, 12:46 PM
my question is mr. richards actually still alive or just being kept alive by a steady IV stream of alcohol and other substances? ;)

What do you think they've been feeding him the last 20 years?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
alright, it's nearly 3:30 am and i'm exhausted, but i'll give you my blip on it:

***** SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER *****

1. A tad bit too long. It felt like it was trying to upstage the original. It was enjoyable, but just a shade long. Each action sequence was as absurd and fun as the one before it. Fun time though.
2. I did like the movie's dark tone and all the creatures from Davy Jones ship were pretty sweet. Davy Jones as a villian was pretty good and I loved the effects on him. The scene where he played the organ was fantastic.
3. I'm really shocked about the turn of events with Elizabeth and Jack Sparrow. Did not see that one coming and it actually infuriated me that Will had risked life and limb for her and Elizabeth is just goes for the "bad boy." Legolas can't catch an effin' break; first he starts a war with the Greeks over Helen; then he has to fight to the death at Helms Deep and NOW his lady makes out with another guy. :crazed:
4. The ending: alright, so Jack met his fate, but to bring him back we need: BAR EFFIN' BOSA. are you serious? The entire audience gasped in shock as Barbosa made his way down the steps. I don't know what to think. Part of me is giggly cos he was a great villian, but his re emergence BETTER make some effin' sense and be explained. Still, it was great to see him chomp into that apple.

thoughts? :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
07-07-2006, 03:34 PM
DMC definitely plods along at times and it's not long before you realize that the story is so big that it can't possibly be told in one feature film.

I spent about 3.5 hours in the theatre with this one: got there early to get a seat and waited about twenty minutes, then watched commercials/previews for another thirty, then the film is good solid two-and-a-half hours from titles to credits.

Speaking of credits, be sure to stay afterwards for a bonus scene (that is if you want to know what happens to the poor pooch that was marooned on Cannibal Island). They did the same thing in the first film, with "cursed" Jack the Monkey absconding with some Aztec Gold after the credits had rolled.

I still have mixed feelings about Davy Jones and his marine-encrusted cursed pirate crew, but they are sufficiently grotesque and mucous-y to satisfy most pre-adolescents. I had a hard time with the actor who plays Davy Jones - Bill Nighy - his performance as the vampire Viktor in Underworld kept poking through whenever I'd see Davy Jones on screen. I guess his voice is too distinctive.

Much of the action takes place on land environments; and at times I thought I was watching an Indiana Jones adventure rather than a pirate one. Still, I enjoyed the rather ridiculous action sequences, even the sword fight on the water wheel was fun to watch, if it was a bit over-the-top.

I enjoyed the surprise re-introduction of Captain Barbossa at the end. DMC includes just about all the principle actors from the first film, including the face-slapping Tortuga prostitutes, so I was happy to see Barbossa back as well.

Rocketboy
07-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I liked it, but it wasn't nearly as good as COTPB, but definitely worth seeing.
But there wasn't enough humor, IMO. It didn't have the same sense of fun and adventure the first one did - it was more of a serious action movie. The humor they did have was pretty good though.

The action scenes and effects were incredible and did top the original.

Cool to see Barbaossa back. Although I knew he was going to be in part three, I didn't know he'd cameo in this one, so it was a cool surprise.

And what about the two pirates from the first one (I forget their names) that just show up out of nowhere, try to steal the Black Pearl, then join the crew and the crew doesn't notice (or care)? And why did they have the dog?

Then they never really explained how the monkey got back with the Pearl. And if you haven't seen what was after the credits in the original, you would have no idea why he was still cursed.

Ji'dai
07-07-2006, 09:34 PM
3. I'm really shocked about the turn of events with Elizabeth and Jack Sparrow. Did not see that one coming and it actually infuriated me that Will had risked life and limb for her and Elizabeth is just goes for the "bad boy." Legolas can't catch an effin' break; first he starts a war with the Greeks over Helen; then he has to fight to the death at Helms Deep and NOW his lady makes out with another guy. :crazed: Elizabeth was kissing Jack in order to chain him to the mast. I think she was angry after Norrington told her that Sparrow left Will on the Flying Dutchman so that he could take Jack's place in Davy Jones' crew.

And what about the two pirates from the first one (I forget their names) that just show up out of nowhere, try to steal the Black Pearl, then join the crew and the crew doesn't notice (or care)? And why did they have the dog? Pintel and Ragetti were taken prisoner at the end of the first film and apparently taken back to Port Royal and locked in the dungeon. The dog with the ring of keys in his mouth was in the first film - imprisoned pirates (and later Sparrow) were trying to coax him near their cell with a bone. I guess Pintel & Ragetti somehow escaped, commandeered a small boat, and took the dog with them. How the heck they survived the passage between islands in such a small craft I have no idea.

Then they never really explained how the monkey got back with the Pearl. And if you haven't seen what was after the credits in the original, you would have no idea why he was still cursed. Just a guess, but maybe the Pearl went back to the Isla del Muerta to load up on the treasure and the monkey stowed away on board. From what I heard in DMC, the island was submerged at some point after the events of the first film? Maybe it'll be explained in the third film, along with how Barbossa miraculously appears in the Voodoo priestess' hut alive and well.

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Damn, I am really honked that JMG's post spoiled the last scene of the movie proper without a spoiler warning in that post, I read that part before even realizing what thread I was in or that the movie had opened (it was only 12:40a here)!

I thought it was very entertaining, everything it did felt fresh and original and fun, unlike a lot of movies lately. I read a review saying it's the first non-downer summer movie and that seems about right (even with that ending). However, I felt like the plot was hard to follow at times, made worse by so much of the exposition dialogue being spoken by characters with heavy accents. Davy Jones, I hated the actor's voice for this, I totally expected something booming and piratey, instead it's kinda high and thin. I don't get why Jones and his crew are growing sea creatures on their bodies, I get why Bootstrap Bill and Davy are cursed, just not why that curse means having a squid face or a starfish on the side of the head or hammerhead shark eyes next to your normal face. Also, the crew of the Flying Dutchman generally didn't have enough personality for me, for the most part these were just monsters, not characters. As I figured from the trailer, the crew of the Flying Dutchman didn't really work for me, the gimmick made them hard to distinguish from each other and from the ship itself. There wasn't enough pirate stuff going on in general, and I really wanted more of the pirates in a city location like on the ride, that always works for me. I was really surprised by how much the movie didn't explain stuff from the previous one, even when the plotpoint at hand depended on it. The action was generally good, the situations interesting, the solutions mostly felt right on interesting. The long 3-way swordfight at first didn't work for me but picked up, then slowed down and picked up again ultimately satisfying in the end. I'm almost certainly going to go see it again next week - my local 1-screen theater dropped Superman Returns after just a week and a half for POTC: DMC, it was packed today at 2:45 so I had to sit on the outskirts near the back, but next week it'll be less people.

Oh, and how crazy was that ESB ending, only Keira Knightly is Lando? :D

What happened to Barbosa at the end of POTC1?

Rocketboy
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Pintel and Ragetti were taken prisoner at the end of the first film and apparently taken back to Port Royal and locked in the dungeon. The dog with the ring of keys in his mouth was in the first film - imprisoned pirates (and later Sparrow) were trying to coax him near their cell with a bone. I guess Pintel & Ragetti somehow escaped, commandeered a small boat, and took the dog with them. How the heck they survived the passage between islands in such a small craft I have no idea.I understood who they are and they escaped somehow, but the thing was they just suddenly appear out of nowhere and join the crew without a word said. It seemed like they stuck them in the story while they were writing it just to add some comic relief and someone said "Oooh! Let's throw the dog in there too! People liked the dog!"

What happened to Barbosa at the end of POTC1?What do you mean? Besides dying?

JediTricks
07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, he just died, right? That's what I thought, why it was so confusing.

Anyway, I came back to mention that although the Keith Richards influence on the Jack Sparrow performance is obvious, I felt like there was the tiniest hint of intentional Bugs Bunny in there as well.

SirSteve
07-08-2006, 02:51 PM
News from ActionFigs.com:

Move Over Sith. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley have stormed the box office and have grabbed all the booty.

The second leg of the 'Pirates' franchise 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest' brought in an astounding $55.5 million on its opening night.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith held the record with last year's summer opening of $50 million.

Now Depp and his crew will set their eyes on Spider-man and its opening three-day weekend record of $114.8 million.

Ji'dai
07-08-2006, 03:45 PM
I understood who they are and they escaped somehow, but the thing was they just suddenly appear out of nowhere and join the crew without a word said. It seemed like they stuck them in the story while they were writing it just to add some comic relief and someone said "Oooh! Let's throw the dog in there too! People liked the dog!" Yeah, that's basically it. They were likable characters from the first film so they worked them back in. Lucas pretty much did the same thing with popular characters from the OT appearing in the PT. Unfortunately.

I guess the surviving Pearl crew were too busy trying to escape the island than wonder what Pintel & Ragetti were doing there. To paraphrase Barbossa & Sparrow from the first film: "It's not possible! No, not probable."

JediTricks
07-08-2006, 04:02 PM

Move Over Sith. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley have stormed the box office and have grabbed all the booty.

The second leg of the 'Pirates' franchise 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest' brought in an astounding $55.5 million on its opening night.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith held the record with last year's summer opening of $50 million.

Now Depp and his crew will set their eyes on Spider-man and its opening three-day weekend record of $114.8 million. Dang, that box office first-day take is shocking! I mean, I went opening day and the theater was next to packed, but I didn't expect $55 mil nationwide, especially when the last major release was a week and a half ago and only made $18 mil on opening day (Superman Returns), and other big movies this year made a lot less (DaVinci Code, $29 mil; Cars, $20 mil; Ice Age 2, $22 mil; Scary Movie 4, $19 mil; MI3, $17 mil) with just 1 making anything close to that, X-men 3 with $45 mil.

scruffziller
07-08-2006, 04:14 PM
GAWD!!!!!! WHAT A SNORE OF A MOVIE!!!!!!!

1. The plot was thin and pointless. Everything going on made no sense as to how it was going to connect with the end and gave us no reason to care.
It just seemed like the movie was "there" just for the "sake of". It failed t pick up at all and there were no nice little things to fit all together for the end. I saw Barbossa coming a million miles away. So dang predictable. I thought for sure that the island of natives that Jack was trapped on was going to have something that fit into the whole story but it didn't. They at least should have had some iconic artifact that would have helped them in their quest, SOMETHING!!!! The only thing that was good about it was to show what happened after the credits. I saw that coming as well but it was a funny scene.

2. I really like the CGI, Davy Jones and crew were breathtaking. I liked the acrobatic scenes with the bone cages and the mill wheel.

With that said. This fluffjob they call a blockbuster(because only paying idiots like myself went to see it, and there alot of idiots in the world) gets a
stinking 2 Stars ** With a triple razzy!!!! :silly: :silly: :silly:.......... :dead:

basschick
07-08-2006, 08:42 PM
***SPOILER ALERT***

for me, the movie was okay but i sure didn't like it as much as the first one. in the first one, they developed the characters, which is interesting to watch. in this one, they seemed to consider most of the characters were developed and sort of left them exactly as they were from beginning to end.

some of the effects were great - my favorite comes just before the end of the movie - the giant maw of the kraken! it was also the only moment in the movie where i REALLY liked jack sparrow, who i liked a lot more in the first movie. in this movie, they took his "funniest" parts and turn him into a clown for most of the movie - and virtually nothing more. too bad! he was funny in the first movie but he was also more.

the voodoo chick was interesting. it wasn't always easy to understand her but she was definitely not your average character. she was creepy and funny, too.

i felt davy jones looked amazing from the second i saw the trailer, and still feel that way. would have rather he had a deep resonating voice and a little more motivation, though - why IS he collecting all those interesting-looking crew membesr, btw? because some chick broke his heart? i REALLY wanted a bigger motive for a really creepy and interesting-looking bad guy.

i felt that they could have easily lost several minutes from the cannibal scene and i'd have been happier. that virtually realtime climb on the mountain - come on!

i would have liked to see more of the pirate city or settlement or whatever - and also would have liked to have seen more pirate-y looking pirates.

overall it's definitely worth seeing - especially since they made it more than clear at the end that pirates 3 will be coming.

jedibear
07-08-2006, 10:10 PM

Move Over Sith. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley have stormed the box office and have grabbed all the booty....

Bear in mind that POTC opened on approx 500 more screens and tix prices are up a bit as well.

But it's all moot to me...I was suckered into seeing it (POTC) and...what a waste!
Utterly charmless, repetative, and it managed to take Knoll & co's work and make it look boring. And that ending! What the h**l? Wasn't the whole point of the last one that Barbosa was seeking to break the curse so he could die and...then he did?!? Terrible...I'll skip number three until I catch bits and pieces channel surfing on cable...

Jayspawn
07-08-2006, 11:41 PM
ZZzzzzzzzzz.........:sleeping:

Woah! Just got back from seeing Pirates 2. yawn Ok. Could have been a LOT better. Definatly NOT worth the wait.

The first half of the movie is BORING! The whole island w/ the cannibals they could have done without. It had nothing to do with the plot at all. I was hoping for a great reintroduction of characters -but didnt get that. Jack's was ok but between the marriage being interrupted and Will getting arrested confused the hell out of me. They should have showen all that. The ending was great! But that was it. The character of Bootstrap Bill was dry and uninteresting -should have left him out of the film.

If I buy the DVD I'm skip right to the end everyime I watch it.

Another thing I'd like to add: THIS IS NOT A KIDS MOVIE!!! There were a TON of kids in the theatre and they all talked, fought, kicked, AAHHHH! People kept yelling at the parents during the show to get their kids out.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 03:29 AM
It was alright, I hoped it would be better than the first one but it didn't turn out that way. The Davy Jones fellow and his crustaceous friends were awesome though. Well, okay, mainly just Davy and the Hammerhead Dude because like JT said the background pirates weren't that good. Decent movie overall, a bit long in the tooth and I'm hoping the third one will take an upturn from here. As for the guy being back at the end, I guess it will all make sense when they bring back Jack in part 3 for him to have a cuddly reunion with Will.

The most exciting part of the theater experience for me was seeing the trailer for Rocky Balboa.

The Transformers trailer was lame.

jonthejedi
07-09-2006, 04:51 AM
I agree. Too long, too much CGI. Underdeveloped characters & plot holes & times lapses that made no sense. My favorite thing was the art design on the baddies. I wish I could have seen some of the background Jones crew better. For those brave, or awake enough, to sit thru the credits...there is an additional scene like at the end of the first POTC. The surprise appearance at the end of the movie...well, me no savy. Maybe POTC III will help it all make sense.

scruffziller
07-09-2006, 06:43 AM
I wish I could have seen some of the background Jones crew better.. Yea what was funny about that is that all the crew members out in front were really well designed and you could tell what they were but all the background guys were a jumbled mess.

Slicker
07-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Just from these reviews I have a feeling that this is gonna get bad word of mouth and drop off dramatically next week.

I'd still like to see it but I may wait a couple of weeks.

Slicker
07-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I hope the MTS doesn't get all over me for the double post...

Pirates raked in $132 million (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060709/ap_en_mo/box_office) this weekend beating Spidermans total by nearl $10 million. Impressive. Most impressive.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 03:05 PM
The movie was on 4 screens at the place we saw it yesterday and 3 or 4 of the afternoon shows sold out...Jim Jam and I got shut out of our preferred time slot so we bought tickets and came back for a later showing. In fact, he got hosed into paying for an evening price since we couldn't get into the last matinee.

On the way out, there were tons of people queued up for the next showing so I of course had to dust off Homer's "who would have thought Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father?" line. :grin:

General_Grievous
07-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey guys. I just got back from vacation and I'm exhausted from driving, so I'll be back with my review later. For the record, it was the best movie I've seen this year.

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Slicker, that number is $132 mil not 123, that's nearly $18 mil more than Spidey2's record. It took this year's previous summer blockbuster 12 days to get to $132 mil.

Keira Knightly's character Elizabeth Swan has development, she realizes she would rather be a pirate living free than who she was. Orlando Bloom's character Will Turner has development, he realizes what he's willing to fight and die for - not just himself and his love, but his father's soul. Johnny Depp's character Captain Jack Sparrow has a little development even, he's willing to sacrifice anything to save himself, his oceanic freedom and even his beloved ship.

BTW, I think ESB has warped our minds, if not for that very last scene before the end credits, this movie does have an ending, not the happiest of endings (unless you're rooting for Commodore Norrington) but it's an ending, they could stop right there and the story would be told - Jack was willing to sacrifice the Black Pearl to the Kraken to save himself, Elizabeth Swan was willing to sacrifice Jack to the Kraken to save everybody else, Jack took his double-crossing in stride and faced his doom head-on, Elizabeth and Will are alive and not in the hands of the British fleet, Davy Jones has taken his price. If they had the last scene not be the "sequel alert!!!" and instead be them glum but realizing they were safe from the Kraken and free even though the price was the East India Trading Company controlling the seas, the saga would have been over.

Darth Jax
07-09-2006, 05:42 PM
well said JT. people are gonna love it or hate it. look at the prequels and nearly any other sequel that came before. they rarely can recapture the magic of the first. the second is merely a set-up for the third installment, ending with a big cliff-hanger.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 06:02 PM
:) I didn't love it or hate it, I just thought it was okay. :)

One thing I do have to credit the movie with is the chemistry between Knightley and Depp, they really sparked it up and I don't blame Jack for wanting to give Elizabeth a good rodgering.

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 06:16 PM
well said JT. people are gonna love it or hate it. look at the prequels and nearly any other sequel that came before. they rarely can recapture the magic of the first. the second is merely a set-up for the third installment, ending with a big cliff-hanger.I guess that's where the ESB effect comes in so strong in comparisons.

Caesar, I don't think your halfway feelings are really spoiler-invisotext-worthy. :p

"A good JOLLY rodgering!" come on now, isn't it really better that way?

kool-aid killer
07-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Just got back from seeing it. For the most part, i liked it. I felt it dragged on a bit longer than it should have, but i was content with how this one ended. I dont remember much about the first one (i need to watch it again) but wasnt Jack Sparrow bound to some sort of curse in that one too?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-09-2006, 07:38 PM
I just saw it today . . . it was good, but not great like the first one. There's no way in hell you could make sense of this without having seen COTBP right before seeing DMC, which was kind of cool, but kind of not.

It seemed like the jokes were more slapstick than before, which I didn't really like. It felt very, very "sequel-y" to me, with the random reintroduction of Pintel, Ragetti, the dog, Jack the monkey, and, well, all the other supporting characters from the first one.

I liked the Barbosa part, and the fact that he finally got to eat an apple, but they sure have some splainin' to do. The ending felt a LOT like Matrix Reloaded, like they're saying "ha ha, now you HAVE to see the third film!"

On the bright side, Davy Jones looked awesome.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Caesar, I don't think your halfway feelings are really spoiler-invisotext-worthy. :p

"A good JOLLY rodgering!" come on now, isn't it really better that way?

Sorry :D, I wanted to play with the new toy. :crazed:

Duly noted about the addition of "jolly." :)

DarkArtist
07-09-2006, 09:20 PM
just saw it today, was actually happy with the ending. Was not expecting it. Can't wait to see Pirates 3. Thought the scene at the end of the credits was cute as well. Going to Disneyworld in Feb 07 with the family so I am looking forward to seeing the new Pirates ride with Jack Sparrow.

JimJamBonds
07-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I thought it was good, not as good as TCOTBP but it was still good. Quite a few references to TCOTBP which I liked. I'll be checking out AWE next summer for sure!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!

darthvyn
07-09-2006, 11:13 PM
i thought it was a lot of fun. not better than the first, but definitely on par. the FX/makeup on the davey jones crew was awesome. bill nighy was awesome as DJ... and i thought there was enough character development to make it interesting, and make me want to see the next one.

:Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate:

basschick
07-10-2006, 12:42 AM
these were the reasons for my own lackluster feeling about it.

It seemed like the jokes were more slapstick than before, which I didn't really like. It felt very, very "sequel-y" to me, with the random reintroduction of Pintel, Ragetti, the dog, Jack the monkey, and, well, all the other supporting characters from the first one.

Banthaholic
07-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Saw it, liked it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
After thinking about it, the ONLY speaking-part characters I can think of from the first film that didn't return are those two guards, the Black Pearl woman, and the other Black Pearl zombies. Frankly I'm amazed they showed that much restraint. :rolleyes:

I had really high expectations for this, as well as Nacho Libre, and they were both good, but not as good as I'd hoped. Same thing happened with Matrix Revolutions back in the day, but when I rewatched it I liked it quite a bit more since my expectations were so low. So I'm hoping that's what will happen with DMC in the future. Also, I had no expectations for Superman Returns, but I loved that one . . . so, maybe I need to stop getting excited for movies. :D

JimJamBonds
07-10-2006, 12:21 PM
After thinking about it, the ONLY speaking-part characters I can think of from the first film that didn't return are those two guards, the Black Pearl woman, and the other Black Pearl zombies. Frankly I'm amazed they showed that much restraint. :rolleyes:

Yeah I was suprised those two sailors didn't make DMC as well.

Ji'dai
07-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Those two soldiers could appear in the next film. Maybe Governor Swann will round up some loyalist men and help overthrow the East India head honcho.

General_Grievous
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Okay, here's my review, as promised. This movie, I thought, wasn't better or worse than "Black Pearl". It was just as good. Johnny Depp is awesome as Jack Sparrow once again, however there aren't as many great one-liners. I do love the eunuch joke they threw in again (snip-snip :D) and "I've got a jar of dirt! I've got a jar of dirt!". And of course, his adventures and escape from Cannibal Island. Orlando Bloom was a bit better this time around, but to me, he's still the weakest of the main actors. Keira Knightley had less screen time, but she always does a great job. I particularly liked Bill Nighy as Davy Jones. Even though he didn't have a booming voice, it was still eerie and spooky enough for a cursed pirate. BTW, did they use digital motion capture for him, because you can really see Bill's features in Davy (particularly the eyes). The sea creature pirates weren't as memorable as the skeleton pirates, because aside from about four of them, they al blended in with each other. I did like seeing Bootstrap Bill, if only for a short time. Pintel and Ragetti were great, especially that they're good guys now. Plus, how awesome was the Kraken? And Barbossa's back! Can't wait for the third one, because this one was so much like ESB. Heroes lose in beginning (Battle of Hoth, Will and Elizabeth are arrested), a hero seeks advice from the wise (Yoda, the voodoo priestess), a hero is sacrificed (Han Solo, Jack Sparrow), and a huge twist at the conclusion (Vader being Luke's father, Barbossa coming back). But there are things that can be figured out from this one that will be revealed in the third one. Namely (spoiler highlight time) that Tia Dalma is Davy Jones's lost love since they both have matching lockets (end spoiler). Overall, i thought it was awesome, probably the most fun I had at the movies all year, and I can't wait until Pirates of the Carribean III comes out May 2007.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
POTC2 made $3.6mil more on opening weekend than previous estimates, opening weekend total was $135.6mil. With Monday's take, it's become the 5th-highest-grossing movie of '06.

Oh hey, I forgot to ask this before, but was I the only one who felt that the maw of the Kraken shown at the end of the movie looked like the Sarlacc (original version) tipped up sideways? Because it totally looks like that! :D Plus, the POTC2 effects were done by ILM.

General_Grievous
07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I saw that John Knoll worked on the movie, so maybe it was his homage to the sarlacc. I just wish ILM did a better job on Davy Jones' crew. They all looked like coral except for the three playing dice and the one who got his head knocked off (or as I call them: shark head, sea urchin face, seaweed hair and shell head). One thing I forgot to mention: the bit with the dog on Cannibal Island at the end was funny, but it wasn't worth sitting through ten minutes of credits, so don't fret if you miss it.

General_Grievous
07-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I was hoping for a great reintroduction of characters -but didnt get that. Jack's was ok Only ok? Jack blasting the crow was hilarious! One thing that's great about the character is that he always makes a great entrance. Like sailing in on the sinking boat in the first movie.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Oh hey, I forgot to ask this before, but was I the only one who felt that the maw of the Kraken shown at the end of the movie looked like the Sarlacc (original version) tipped up sideways? Because it totally looks like that! :D Plus, the POTC2 effects were done by ILM.

I had the same thought.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I just wish ILM did a better job on Davy Jones' crew. They all looked like coral except for the three playing dice and the one who got his head knocked off Yeah, I felt the same way, everybody blended into each other AND the Flying Dutchman, that was no good.

On another forum I visit, someone drew a comparison between Davy Jones and Dr Zoidberg. :D Jones even has a lobster claw hand!

JimJamBonds
07-13-2006, 12:57 AM
In the vein of JT's 'did you think...' question I'll throw one out there as well... Did anybody think of the "Frying Dutchman" from The Simpsons when a character talked about the ship the 'Flying Dutchman?' Because I sure did. :D

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Whenever Davy Jones was mentioned, I kept thinking of that Brady Bunch episode where Davy Jones from that band the Monkees sang at Marcia's prom. And I KNOW I'm not the only one who thought of that. Hey, maybe Marcia Brady had to serve 100 years aboard the Flying Dutchman as a debt to Jones for singing at her prom. And I apologize for that cheesy joke.:)

darthvyn
07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
In the vein of JT's 'did you think...' question I'll throw one out there as well... Did anybody think of the "Frying Dutchman" from The Simpsons when a character talked about the ship the 'Flying Dutchman?' Because I sure did. :D

yeah, but that's more because the "frying dutchman" was a nod to the legend of the "flying dutchman" in the first place... and for that matter, davy jones the sea legend was around a lot longer than david jones the monkee.

whereas the DESIGN for davy jones in the movie was NOT based on the legend, and bears a striking resemblance to zoidberg, i hereby reject you applications to the "pop-culture references in PotC - DMC database."

:D

JediTricks
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
In the vein of JT's 'did you think...' question I'll throw one out there as well... Did anybody think of the "Frying Dutchman" from The Simpsons when a character talked about the ship the 'Flying Dutchman?' Because I sure did. :DNot I, but probably because I knew the Simpsons' gag is a reference to the legend of the Flying Dutchman in the first place.

Whenever Davy Jones was mentioned, I kept thinking of that Brady Bunch episode where Davy Jones from that band the Monkees sang at Marcia's prom. And I KNOW I'm not the only one who thought of that.Poor Davy Jones of the Monkees, famous in his own rite from his TV show yet has to be remembered for a cheap crossover stunt to another TV show. ;) No, I didn't think of the singer, for the same reason as the Flying Dutchman above (though the 2 were never related until now that I know of).

Sorry Vyn, the POTC Davy Jones is either Zoidberg with his squid mouth and lobster claw, or Cthulu in a pirate costume (another one I didn't make up :p).

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 03:40 PM
I think the art department were really influenced by Chtulu when designing Davy. As for Zoidberg, at least he had one accent. Davy Jones at times sounded English, Scottish, and Dutch. And what was up with Bootstrap's accent? It should have sounded English.

darthvyn
07-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry Vyn, the POTC Davy Jones is either Zoidberg with his squid mouth and lobster claw, or Cthulu in a pirate costume (another one I didn't make up :p).

i was saying that your "references" were the only ones that held water, seeing as it was a design department choice to make davy jones look like that. therefore it was the only one that could be construed as a pop-culture reference.

like you (and, actually, i before you...) said - the "frying dutchman" was a nod to the original ghost ship, and the fact that david jones of the monkees has a similar monicker to the legendary davy jones, who predates him, THEY were possible pop-culture references TO the legend. quite the opposite of the zoidberg/cthulu shtick...

Ji'dai
07-13-2006, 08:21 PM
In the vein of JT's 'did you think...' question I'll throw one out there as well... Did anybody think of the "Frying Dutchman" from The Simpsons when a character talked about the ship the 'Flying Dutchman?' Because I sure did. :D I kept thinking of Spongebob since the little sea urchin has had numerous run-ins with the ghost of the Flying Dutchman throughout his adventures.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 02:27 PM
i was saying that your "references" were the only ones that held water, seeing as it was a design department choice to make davy jones look like that. therefore it was the only one that could be construed as a pop-culture reference.

like you (and, actually, i before you...) said - the "frying dutchman" was a nod to the original ghost ship, and the fact that david jones of the monkees has a similar monicker to the legendary davy jones, who predates him, THEY were possible pop-culture references TO the legend. quite the opposite of the zoidberg/cthulu shtick...OHHH! I see what you mean. The reason I thought you were lumping Zoidy in with the Monkees ref and the Simpsons ref were separated from your first paragraph, I thought they were all pop culture refs you were denying (I didn't give enough weight to your "Whereas").

So, analysts are predicting another $60-70mil for the movie this weekend, if it does so then it'll be the highest grossing film of the year, surpassing X-men3. The highest grossing second-weekend for a movie was 2004's Shrek 2 with $72mil.

General_Grievous
07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
So, analysts are predicting another $60-70mil for the movie this weekend, if it does so then it'll be the highest grossing film of the year, surpassing X-men3. "Dead Man's Chest" will probably be the top earner this year. There aren't really any more really big movies coming out this summer, or this year, for that matter. However, Pirates 3 will have major competition next summer from Spider-Man, Shrek, and Harry Potter. I can't wait to see who emerges the victor in that battle.

Slicker
07-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I went and saw it last night and it was well worth the $7.50 (plus another $7.50 for the lady friend :yes:). The CG was amazing (Davy Jones and his crew were utterly fantastic) and it had alot of light humor (every time I saw Jack I just laughed. His walk is something else) and was overall a good movie.

scruffziller
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Stop It You Guys!!!! This Movie sux!!!!!!!!

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Stop It You Guys!!!! This Movie sux!!!!!!!!
Can you validate that opinion? Why do you think it sucked?

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I just saw it again and enjoyed it even more than the first time.

BTW, it broke more box office records, and may break more this weekend.

El Chuxter
07-23-2006, 11:55 PM
I have seen footage of Pirates 3. It will rock. Chow Yun Fat is in it. The universal law of Chow Yun Fat films is that they rule, as long as he has a sword or gun. In this, he will have both. As long as they remember to include a bear, it will be the greatest film of all times.

General_Grievous
07-28-2006, 12:20 PM
What else was shown in the footage, Chux?

scruffziller
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Can you validate that opinion? Why do you think it sucked?
Back up to the beginning and read my post. Sorry for lashing out like that.:D

I have seen footage of Pirates 3. It will rock. Chow Yun Fat is in it. The universal law of Chow Yun Fat films is that they rule, as long as he has a sword or gun. In this, he will have both. As long as they remember to include a bear, it will be the greatest film of all times.

Well that gives me hope for the 3rd. I expect it to be better.

Tycho
05-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Well I finally watched it and dug it! The wheel and the rolling escape from the cannibals were both fun - like some kind of gyroscope ride.

I think the acting and character development is very well done. To think: all this from an ancient Disneyland ride?

It was well done. I'm going to see POTC3 in the theater.

General_Grievous
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Glad to hear you liked this one too, Tycho, but I've got a question...with all the publicity for "At World's End" featuring Barbossa, was the end of "Dead Man's Chest" sort of spoiled for you?

Tycho
05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
No. I actually didn't pay any attention to POTC publicity for "World's End" because I'd been ignoring it. Like many "fads," it was so fashionable that I was sort of turned off by it all.

Then I'd remembered that a while back, when I wanted to write a Star Wars comic series or novel, and I was told to go and establish myself with my own original work first, pirates were one subject I very seriously considered. I also toyed with a western idea (and low and behold we had the Deadwood series).

But as far back as 1999 or so (I don't remember when the first POTC film came out, but I think it was 2002), I was thinking "Pirates" myself. I had a less campy, very hardcore approach to the subject in mind, including a very politically incorrect slave trading angle for part of it. But I like to be shocking and at the same time thought-provoking.

Captain Jack Sparrow is not shown really being murderous or cruel. It is a Disney family picture to a large degree (might be too intense for children under 13 - I don't know -but Davy Jones and Cursed Barbossa would scare them I'm sure). I'd have written a more "period piece," with more historical facts worked in, serious government conspiracy theories (gosh I love those) and had characters who were all morally reprehensible one way or another - doing some really bad things. Thus my audience would be trying to identify with the lesser of all the evils. That's how my novel I'm writing now (non-pirate, non-sci-fi) is working out as well. Heroic characters are almost always focal points in fiction. In fact, heroes hardly exist in real life. After the facts of some self-serving deed, folks embelish things to make themselves sound better. Instead, I want to look into evil where redemption is the light shining through a crack in an almost-buried-coffin, then instead of accessing it, you get covered by the dirt.

That's all fine for my work, but it is not to say I can't absolutely LOVE Pirates of the Caribbean. I think it's a great franchise and a lot of fun. It's so much more accessable than the stuff I come up with, especially when you consider marketing to kids.

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
To think: all this from an ancient Disneyland ride?1967 is not that far back, only a decade away from you, right? I love that ride too, it's always been one of my favorites, totally self-contained storytelling in the attraction, didn't need any movie to carry it.

POTC2 I don't think actually does a good job tying into the ride, but the first movie does so it's ok.

No. I actually didn't pay any attention to POTC publicity for "World's End" because I'd been ignoring it. Like many "fads," it was so fashionable that I was sort of turned off by it all.

Then I'd remembered that a while back, when I wanted to write a Star Wars comic series or novel, and I was told to go and establish myself with my own original work first, pirates were one subject I very seriously considered. I also toyed with a western idea (and low and behold we had the Deadwood series).

But as far back as 1999 or so (I don't remember when the first POTC film came out, but I think it was 2002), I was thinking "Pirates" myself. I had a less campy, very hardcore approach to the subject in mind, including a very politically incorrect slave trading angle for part of it. But I like to be shocking and at the same time thought-provoking.Star Wars already has an essence of pirates in it - Han Solo's ship is referred to as the "pirate ship" even in the final shooting draft - and slave trading - the droids are slaves, and the original script for ROTJ had wookiee slaves. The ideas have always been there in SW.

Kidhuman
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
.wysiwyg { background: rgb(240, 237, 237) none repeat scroll 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; } p { margin: 0px; }

What the hell is that?

Tycho
05-20-2007, 11:08 PM
JTs been possessed by the Ghost of ISE! :D

Is there an exorcist in the house?

figrin bran
05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
1967 is not that far back, only a decade away from you, right? I love that ride too, it's always been one of my favorites, totally self-contained storytelling in the attraction, didn't need any movie to carry it.

POTC2 I don't think actually does a good job tying into the ride, but the first movie does so it's ok.

JT or anyone else, have you been on the retconned POTC ride and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Tycho
05-21-2007, 12:53 AM
I was on it December 6th - my friend took me for my birthday.

I hadn't seen the movies then obviously, but I recognized the characters from the ride in the movie the other day.

The animatronic Jack Sparrows were quite impressive and realistic.

I don't recall if Elizabeth Swan or Will Turner or Captain Barbossa were on the ride, but I didn't know their characters as well then.

The dog and the monkey I definitely remember.

They made Davy Jones appear as like a ghost in the waterfall. That's all I remember seeing of him. I don't think there was a detailed animatronic - but he and his men from the Flying Dutchman could make great animatronic additions to the ride!

The fireflies in the bayou was straight out of the ride. That was fun. The town with the pirate cove and all the drunken rioting (featured in both movies) was straight out of the ride as well.

Overall, the ride could still be improved in light of the movies, but it was always a classic.

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 04:10 PM
What the hell is that?No clue! I deleted it from my post though. I didn't notice it when I made the post, but that doesn't preclude it from being there at the time.

JT or anyone else, have you been on the retconned POTC ride and if so, what are your thoughts on it?I haven't been on it since they made the movie, I wasn't in love with the idea either, but if they can keep it somewhat restrained I guess it'd be ok. The thing is, so much of the movies are taken from the ride that the ride doesn't need those changes, it stands alone just fine, but I fear they're just gonna keep messing with it till it's crap like the Swiss Family Tarzan Treehouse.

Tycho
05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I think they should issue the ride-goers Lazertag guns that look like 18th century pistols and have the targeting scanners be located on animatronic undead monkeys that jump around all over the scenery in the ride. Then you get a high score when you get off the ride. And then you can go back in line if you want to go for a better body count.

To add to the drama, when you're waiting in line, you can don a London lady's dress and hat, or a gentleman's wig - or both - then have the ride camera take your picture wearing that.

There could be employees in Davy Jones costumes that stand in the bow of your boat on the ride and talk to you like a pirate during your entire cruise.

They could add a soundtrack of a Cajun voodoo woman whom you can't understand what she's saying, as well.

figrin bran
05-22-2007, 01:54 AM
I think they should issue the ride-goers Lazertag guns that look like 18th century pistols and have the targeting scanners be located on animatronic undead monkeys that jump around all over the scenery in the ride. Then you get a high score when you get off the ride. And then you can go back in line if you want to go for a better body count.

To add to the drama, when you're waiting in line, you can don a London lady's dress and hat, or a gentleman's wig - or both - then have the ride camera take your picture wearing that.

There could be employees in Davy Jones costumes that stand in the bow of your boat on the ride and talk to you like a pirate during your entire cruise.

They could add a soundtrack of a Cajun voodoo woman whom you can't understand what she's saying, as well.

ummmm no. you can go on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters for your shoot em up action. besides, it would cost so much to put those changes into the ride.

JT, i've actually been on the retconned version of the ride twice. the first time i didn't really like it. the second time i thought it was okay. it's one of these things where if you've never been on it, you'd think it was pretty good but if you've been riding it since you were a kid, the new elements seem like a classic case of shoehorning. there may be a tendency to spend so much time looking for and wondering where captain jack is that you overlook the other elements of the ride.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 02:06 AM
ummmm no. you can go on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters for your shoot em up action. besides, it would cost so much to put those changes into the ride.

JT, i've actually been on the retconned version of the ride twice. the first time i didn't really like it. the second time i thought it was okay. it's one of these things where if you've never been on it, you'd think it was pretty good but if you've been riding it since you were a kid, the new elements seem like a classic case of shoehorning. there may be a tendency to spend so much time looking for and wondering where captain jack is that you overlook the other elements of the ride.

In actuality I agree with Figrin Bran above. I wonder if he thought I was making my suggestions seriously or with tongue-in-cheek? Lasertag with Undead Monkeys....uh-huh.

figrin bran
05-22-2007, 02:08 AM
haha, well with you Mr. Celchu, it's always this murky line between tongue in cheek and seriousness :p

but if you want to put blasters on a Disneyland ride, i say Small World is the way to go! time to blast all those annoying kids to oblivion! ;)

TeeEye7
05-23-2007, 04:48 AM
but if you want to put blasters on a Disneyland ride, i say Small World is the way to go! time to blast all those annoying kids to oblivion! ;)

Pure genius! :thumbsup:

It would have the longest lines in the park!