PDA

View Full Version : ARC-170 & Imperial Shuttle thoughts

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Star Wars Transformers ARC-170/Clone Pilot - solid vehicle mode with only 1 of the 3 cockpits actually a cockpit, it's the middle one strangely. The vehicle sculpt is good and accurate, the only kibble is the robot hands sticking out the bottom of the engines. The S-foils really open, and the main guns launch the tips as missiles; the rear gun rotates and elevates, and they added another one on the underside of that. The look is pretty spot-on with decent paint and sculpting, even the non-removable droid who has a painted dome and shoulders, there's no new oddball stuff, but the wings and engines are designed to aim a tiny bit upwards from horizontal. Transformation is clever and solid and fresh, probably the most involved of the SWTF series, but does end up with a lot of vehicle kibble. Bot mode is decent but a little slight and sporting a lot of kibble, the wings are forgivable but the long "skirt" and shoulder-horns and junky backpack are less so, at least they sculpted little details inside the parts though. The bot is heavily armed with the rear guns now plugged onto the shoulders and the main guns held as rifles. The bot has a white clone pilot helmet and silver face (robotic but simple) with a separate clear orange visor, I would have preferred this a clone trooper helmet really. His proportions are very human, minus the kibble everywhere, and the sculpting is good. The bot is heavily articulated which is great. The pilot's seat tilts back like Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, but here there's no window for him to look out; this and the Emperor are the only SWTFs where you don't have to remove the pilot for transformation. The minifig is a nice little clone pilot, they even painted the soles of his feet. It's a good set solid in both modes, I can certainly look past the kibble, but I'm not sure everybody will be as forgiving.

Star Wars Transformers Imperial Shuttle/Emperor - Vehicle mode has a good, accurate look to it, but is a little gappy in the midsection. The wings all feel like they're gonna come off all the time, but the rest stays mostly in place (the fit is a bit off due probably to joint tolerances being sloppier than the prototype and not many parts interlocking, but it mostly works). Some folks might be surprised to learn that the shuttle actually has plenty of weapons, they're all represented here. The landing gear is too short for the original design, but still attempts to be faithful. Only the cockpit actually can hold the figure. The wings actually do fold down just like in the movie, their twin guns even rotate, but in flight mode the landing gear gets in the way and pushes them out of position a little. The paint here is good, off-white with various grays, nothing fancy though. Palps' lightsaber can be loaded into the bottom of the middle wing and fired out that launcher, doesn't look good in vehicle mode though. Transformation calls for all the wings to be removed leaving essentially a brick with a cockpit, the core of this changes simply into limbs revealing a void in the center with sculpted detailing, this is then filled in by folding the cockpit into it which also reveals the head; the side wings now peg into the hips (note that there are 2 little divots that accomodate the hips rather than the clips for vehicle mode) and the top wing becomes an arm-mounted shield and a pistol. Bot mode is unusual, the colors aren't even pretending to be Palpatine's colors, the vehicle colors are everywhere, the head is dark gray but with a yellow face and red eyes, it's a good look for a Transformer, I don't mind that it's not accurate to the character. The bot's look is thick but not bulky, the cockpit ends up as the entire chest (which makes sense as it's a mech), while the legs are a bit spindly and flanked by folded up wings; a side note, the codpiece has an unfortunate smilie face right in the middle. The head is unusual, it's a broad, squat face with angular wrinkles and an open mouth surrounded by a helmet I suppose meant to invoke his hood, it doesn't remind me much of Palpatine's visage but it is a cool evil old Transformer head which works well on that level.The bot has lots of articulation, even an articulated waist above armor. The figure has trouble holding the gun, it doesn't hold in his right hand and when he's pointing it he gets front-heavy and tips over since the legs are a bit spindly and set a little far back. The lightsaber hilt is big, but fairly accurate and well-painted, the blade is short but that's accurate to the movie version, it's notched in the middle so it can be fired from the gun but the notch isn't too offensive. Overall, I like how the vehicle mode looks but it's not entirely stable, and I like how the robot looks from a Transformers standpoint more than a Star Wars one, even if it is kibbly and somewhat flawed.

I'd definitely want to see more SWTFs like the ARC-170, it's not perfect but it's pretty neat and pays a lot of attention to what the vehicle mode is about.

Reefer Shark
07-02-2006, 08:52 PM
The ARC-170 is the best SWTF to date IMO. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
A few more thoughts on the Imp Shuttle...

First off, I didn't mention the figure at all, it's old fart Palpatine with the long robes and hinged "hips", they did a dutiful job with him, but he seems either a bit thin or tall. He looks ok though and he fits in the cockpit fine.

Also, the shuttle is packaged with the biceps inverted so the pins on them are facing inwards, I am pretty sure this is wrong and they should be facing outward so they act as landing feet, there's an odd bump on the underside of the neck plate, but this isn't the right height and the pins are.

Finally, while discussing it on BWTF forums, I found out that you can leave the side wings in place during transformation, and they even hinge back to make a cape of sorts; but the shield-wing and gun have to come off to get out of the waist transformation.

BountyHunterScum
07-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Well since my post about the Emperor Shuttle defect was totally ignored. I'm pretty much SOL replacement wise. Hasbro used to have better customer service.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
What post? What defect? (Then I search your previous posts...)

You mean "Does anyone have trouble with the Palpatine Shuttle top Fin module with the peg on the bottom thats supposed to snap in place?"

If so, I wouldn't say I have trouble with mine, it holds well enough that I can hold the ship up by it alone (tho' it's loose enough that a shake will pop it out). It doesn't sit in the bot's hands that well but that's a common problem. I suggest you call Hasbro's customer service line - 800) FART BOG (I kid you not! :D) and don't mention you have the internet, I bet they'll tell you to send the whole toy back and they'll send you out a replacement version unless or one of equal value (which, since this one is new, likely will be the Shuttle).

BountyHunterScum
07-15-2006, 03:00 AM
What post? What defect? (Then I search your previous posts...)

You mean "Does anyone have trouble with the Palpatine Shuttle top Fin module with the peg on the bottom thats supposed to snap in place?"

If so, I wouldn't say I have trouble with mine, it holds well enough that I can hold the ship up by it alone (tho' it's loose enough that a shake will pop it out). It doesn't sit in the bot's hands that well but that's a common problem. I suggest you call Hasbro's customer service line - 800) FART BOG (I kid you not! :D) and don't mention you have the internet, I bet they'll tell you to send the whole toy back and they'll send you out a replacement version unless or one of equal value (which, since this one is new, likely will be the Shuttle).

Will they actually send the shuttle or another SWTF?

JediTricks
07-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Their policy is that if they still make it and/or have it shipping from their warehouses, they will make a good faith effort to get you that exact one, and if they don't have it they will replace it with one of equal value, but like I said, since it's just started hitting it's almost a lock they'll just send you another. I had a broken Transformers figure and I sent it in like they said, within a few days I received a fully-carded replacement.

BountyHunterScum
07-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Their policy is that if they still make it and/or have it shipping from their warehouses, they will make a good faith effort to get you that exact one, and if they don't have it they will replace it with one of equal value, but like I said, since it's just started hitting it's almost a lock they'll just send you another. I had a broken Transformers figure and I sent it in like they said, within a few days I received a fully-carded replacement.

Maybe I'll think about sending it in.

JediTricks
07-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Call first. :p

BountyHunterScum
07-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Call first. :p

Actually they sent me a pre paid label but im going to call in again and ask for one anyway.

JediTricks
07-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh, if they sent you a label, then they already know about the situation. Make sure to send a piece of paper with your name, address, name of toy, and what's wrong with it when you send it in.

BountyHunterScum
07-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Oh, if they sent you a label, then they already know about the situation. Make sure to send a piece of paper with your name, address, name of toy, and what's wrong with it when you send it in. I will if I can find it.

Jangu Fett
07-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Check out the new ARc-170. Slightly changed, and with a new mini-figure.

http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/sdcc06-HasbroSW3/IMG_1296.JPG
http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/sdcc06-HasbroSW3/IMG_1297.JPG

And the new Vader. Cool red eyes.

http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/sdcc06-HasbroSW3/IMG_1295.JPG

JediTricks
07-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't care for the Vader/JSF at all, that is very un-Vader with its tiny head.

The ARC-170 repaint though... I hate the colors, all the subtlety you'd expect from a brick to the face, but they changed the head so it's now a Clone Commander and I think that's very interesting.

Jangu Fett
07-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I like the Vader/Sith Interceptor, it bridges the gap between Ep3 and 4. The ship he uses while hes TIE Advanced is being built. The dark colors with the bright red, I love that. But, you have a point JT. The head is to small.

The ARCs colors are alright, IMO. Although, I would have changed the white to grey. And maybe we'll see another Clone Commanders head attach to other models, next year.

Jangu Fett
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Just found this on GH. Don't know if they made a mistake or, if they found 2 more SWTFs to be released next year.

TRANSFORMERS

It's continuing. News on various Transformers sites indicate a lot of items are coming which means we can expect them to be announced at BotCon. Here, the ARC-170 has been announced in the "space whale" colors and a new head, as has a retooled Jedi Starfighter with Darth Vader bits and pieces. So yeah, good news for those who like these. They're a fantastic concept but for whatever reason, the regular line of Transformers, to me, has been and may continue to be lots more fun. These two new guys are due in November.

Takara/Tomy's online store seems to have preorders up for Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter and Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter. It seems they're going to be milking this one.

2-1B
07-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Since when can we post pics in a post? I wasn't aware of that. :)

Warstar
07-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Those descriptions sound like the 3" Titanium repaint vehicles of the ARC-170 and the Jedi Starfighters that are definitely coming out. They'd be cool with different heads in the SWTF line though :)

I finally got the ARC and Imperial Shuttle last night and I totally dig them. The ARC is superb, however, and makes a good robot, too :)

Jangu Fett
07-25-2006, 05:26 PM
That's just what they are. Vader's Sith Interceptor is a black Jedi Interceptor, and the ARC is just painted like the Clone Wars Tiger Gunship. The only difference is the heads. But why a Clone Commanders head for the ARC-170?

As for the Mace Windu's and Saesee Tiin's Fighters? I really think they made a mistake and meant the 3-3/4" ships. Althought, a TF for Mace is almost a definite release for next year. As for a TF Saesee Tiin? He did fly a Jedi Interceptor in the Clone Wars cartoon series 2. I beleive it was purple with green wings. Maybe it's true that these are SWTFs. But why would Hasbro release a AOTC JSF for Tiinin 3-3/4" scale, and a ROTS Interceptor for the Transformers? Maybe Saesee Tiin is a new model for next year the AOTC JSF. If thats the case then we'll also see Kit Fisto / AOTC JSF and Plo Koon / AOTC JSF.

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
As for the Mace Windu's and Saesee Tiin's Fighters? I really think they made a mistake and meant the 3-3/4" ships. Althought, a TF for Mace is almost a definite release for next year. As for a TF Saesee Tiin? He did fly a Jedi Interceptor in the Clone Wars cartoon series 2. I beleive it was purple with green wings. Maybe it's true that these are SWTFs. But why would Hasbro release a AOTC JSF for Tiinin 3-3/4" scale, and a ROTS Interceptor for the Transformers? Maybe Saesee Tiin is a new model for next year the AOTC JSF. If thats the case then we'll also see Kit Fisto / AOTC JSF and Plo Koon / AOTC JSF.That is EXTREMELY likely, very good call. Mace & Sassy are confirmed to get 3 3/4" JSF vehicle repaints real soon.

seanmcfripp
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Picked up the ARC-170 and Imp Shuttle today. I'm all kindsa loving the ARC fighter, especially the kibble that some folks are griping about. I love kibble, if it looks cool and functions as armor (ala Alt Tracks and RID Prowl...I love that look). Shoulder cannons, and big honkin' rifles? I'm in TF heaven. I almost feel tempted to get two more and have a little squad for SWTF Anakin and Ob-wan to command. Palps is pretty sweet too, especially if you leave the wings on the shoulders and rock them back, which I think looks much better then the instructions' method.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 08:28 PM
There's a lot of ARC-170 kibble though, the shoulder-horns, the wings, the skirts, this sucker is lucky to get such high ratings considering he's like 40% kibble. :p