PDA

View Full Version : a couple of expert answers needed

Darth Instigator
07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
My son was asking me some very indepth questions regarding Star Wars and some indiosyncrasies he noticed.

1. Why did Obi Wan and Yoda disappear when they dies but none of the others did? And why did they disappear?

2. What does the colors of the lightsabers represent aside from the Sith being Red? For instance, does a Jedi Master have or is entitled to a particular color not afforded a knight or padawan?

3. How can you tell if a Jedi is a Master, aside from knowing the popular characters?

THanks, I am not so savvy with all the deep inside information like you guys are and he will definitely appreciate the answers. For instance, I tried to answer the Jedi disappearing question by saying, well since the Force is everything in the universe and the mitichlorians are the symbiotic microorganisms once a Jedi dies he becomes one with the universe and disappears, but he followed with, Then why didnt Darth Vader disappear and Qui Gon Jinn and all the Jedi Academy Jedis. SO I was at a loss. lol

Slicker
07-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I'll try my best to answer them

1. Why did Obi Wan and Yoda disappear when they dies but none of the others did? And why did they disappear? At the end of ROTS Yoda tells Obi-Wan that he heard from Qui Gon and that he has "training" for him to do. This is something that was thrown in there to explain that Obi-Wan and Yoda both "train" themselves to know how to enter into the after life.

2. What does the colors of the lightsabers represent aside from the Sith being Red? For instance, does a Jedi Master have or is entitled to a particular color not afforded a knight or padawan? It all has to do with the particular crystal that is used in the making of it. The green and blue crystals are the most common thus most of the Jedi use them. As for the Sith they use man made crystals and they are predominantly red

3. How can you tell if a Jedi is a Master, aside from knowing the popular characters? This one I'm not sure about. An obvious sign is the lack of a padawan braid. Aside from that I'm not sure how you tell a Master from say a Knight

Kidhuman
07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
I think masters have facial hair or shave their heads in some form.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Nope, there's no true way to tell a Master from a Knight, unless you know from a character-to-character basis.

Also, Jedi of all levels can have blue or green lightsabers, and this holds true for the Younglings, Padawans, Knights, and Masters. Mace's purple one is special for some reason that I don't know. Then of course in the EU they get into all kinds of crazy colors but we won't go there. ;)

Darth Instigator
07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I heard that Samuel Jackson specifically requested it due to it being his favorite color and the bargaining chip to accept the role from Lucas. I'm sure its not dead on accurate but its what I heard from the making of it, something to that affect.

Darth Instigator
07-02-2006, 09:40 PM
so obi-wan and yoda both have the ability to enter the afterlife? is that the reason, I just dont want to tell him something that he can get me on, lol. He is a quick 8 year old

Slicker
07-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I heard that Samuel Jackson specifically requested it due to it being his favorite color and the bargaining chip to accept the role from Lucas. I'm sure its not dead on accurate but its what I heard from the making of it, something to that affect. That is one of the reasons. Sam Jackson said that he'd have been happy to be a stormtrooper so long as he knew where he was in the movie.

so obi-wan and yoda both have the ability to enter the afterlife? is that the reason, I just dont want to tell him something that he can get me on, lol. He is a quick 8 year oldThat's how it seems, yeah. They apparently "stuidied" how to do it and when they died they disappeared. That would kinda explain why both Qui Gon and Vader didn't disappear...I guess.

El Chuxter
07-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I had typed a lengthy answer that somehow was totally erased. :mad:

The gyst of it:

Qui-Gon cheats death, but is only able to communicate as a voice. The scene with Yoda in AOTC is the first time anyone is aware of this. After ROTS, he trains Yoda and Obi-Wan to do so as well. Presumably, they have more time to devote to the training, so they are able to vanish.

Lucas has said that it involves selfless love, which is why a Sith cannot do so. He also said that Yoda and Obi-Wan were able to "help" Anakin, since he was the Chosen One. Luke burned an empty suit of armor; there was no human body inside.

According to early scripts of ROTS Qui-Gon, learned this from a group called The Whills, only ever mentioned in early scripts of ANH (where the entire story is said to be From the Journal of the Whills). Though I have no real proof, I like to think that the Whills are ET's species. After all, only one other SW character has cheated death, and ET did so in a different movie. Again, no proof, but if he's 8 and saw ET, he'll probably like it. :)

Samuel L Jackson did indeed insist upon a purple lightsaber. His is the only one that's not blue, green, or red. Jedi power their sabers using Adegan crystals, which produce blue or green blades. Sith use artificial crystals and use red-bladed sabers.

Prior to AOTC, many other Jedi were said to have other colors of sabers (Ki-Adi had purple, Adi Gallia red, Saessee Tiin indigo). Again, no official explanation has been offered, but my thoughts are that such crystals are more exotic and came from remote worlds. Since Jedi seem to go through sabers pretty quickly in the movies, all the "unusual" sabers (except Mace's) were destroyed in combat in the ten years between TPM and AOTC, and the worlds were now in hostile territory due to the rising conflict preceding the Clone Wars, so these Jedi created more "normal" sabers to replace them.

Not aware of any significance between green and blue, but here are some things to consider:

1) Luke and Obi-Wan, the two main Padawans who do not turn to the Dark Side, start with blue sabers that are lost in combat to a Sith Lord. They later defeat the same Sith Lords with green sabers.

2) Anakin, the other main Padawan, loses a few sabers, all blue. He is defeated by Dooku when using both a green and a blue saber. He later defeats Dooku using a blue and a red saber, possibly signifying his fall to the Dark Side.

3) Vader is the only Sith Lord to use a blue saber, which could foreshadow his ultimate redemption.

Rocketboy
07-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I heard another reason Sam Jackson wanted a different colored lightsaber was so he could find himself onscreen easier.

Darth Instigator
07-03-2006, 06:21 PM
my son says aayla secura (possibly not accurate spelling) also had purple, I tell you he is a smart kid, tell me if he isn't right, lol!

Kidhuman
07-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I think it was Ada Gallia who had the purple in EP1 figs.

El Chuxter
07-03-2006, 07:38 PM
No, Ki-Adi had purple. As far as I know, Aayla always had blue, except in the Playstation Portable version of Battlefront II, where she has purple for some reason. (Thank you wikipedia for that tidbit! :D)

jjreason
07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Adi Gallia's was a dark red color.

Chux, your answer was fantastic - I used to like to think that Yoda was a whill, but your ET idea is quite nice as well.

Darth Instigator
07-03-2006, 07:49 PM
No, Ki-Adi had purple. As far as I know, Aayla always had blue, except in the Playstation Portable version of Battlefront II, where she has purple for some reason. (Thank you wikipedia for that tidbit! :D)ahh ok, he said that in xbox's battlefront II she had blue and green. but in the movie she was holding a lightsaber in her hand and another on her pants but he affirms the PSP Battelfront II ascertation, thanks guys you are really good at this. In the Red Carded figures that featured Darth Maul he says Ki Adi had purple and Mace windu had blue. I have to get him to register here, lol. He is good.

El Chuxter
07-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Hmm, looks like in all the other versions of BF2, she had both blue and green. The kid really is good, Darth Instigator. You said he's eight? That's a lot of trivia for a kid that age to remember. You ought to have him try out for Kids' Jeopardy! if he's old enough.

Darth Instigator
07-04-2006, 08:26 AM
yeah he is eight, let me tell you he knows his Star Wars, he watches them all, all the time, he rambles about them to me sometimes to a point that my head hurts, he is not very athletic but man he knows stuff, and what a memory.

2-1B
07-04-2006, 01:39 PM
With a name like Instigator, I can't help but study the cut of your jib to see if an old friend does not lurk among us. ;)

Jargo
07-05-2006, 09:20 AM
nope barkin' up the wrong tree there Caesar. pretty sure of it anyway.

I would have thought that if the crystals are refracting light, depending on how the crystal is turned the colour of the blade would change like light through a prism. going from purple through to red. so a jedi could have any colour of the spectrum at any time except red. because red is the colour used by sith who seem to think red and black are cool when in reality it's a dorky eighties combo of colours.

Mace chose purple because he has an ego problem as evidenced all the way through the prequels. he thinks he's above the jedi and asserts his self percieved power every chance he can. often unfairly. and his judgement is clouded because of his arrogance. so when mace dies he's getting just rewards for being too arrogant and not being a true jedi. also choosing a really girly colour for his saber blade. next step from purple is red. a spectrum is cyclic. red orange yellow green blue purple red orange yellow..... etc.

Obi-wan is a little too saber happy and seems to like chopping people up. Anakin is young and reckless and consequently loses and aquires sabers like they're mere junk. just a tool.

other jedi seem to have more respect for the saber and treat it with care and almost a sense of wariness. And I would imagine that green and blue are the most common saber colours becaue they're the brightest colours. easy to see and keep track of in peripheral vision. red is a soft colour that bleeds away so is the hardest to track with the naked eye. as far as light is concerned.
you'll find in theatres, blue light is used backstage because it doesn't bleed or 'flood' an area. where red does. red light penetrates further.

which is just me muttering to myself and thinking aloud. and trying really hard to ignore any eu stuff and think in real terms.

There again the whole idea that you can have a beam of light that stops at about a meter length is silly anyway. I think the only weapon that sems to work for me is the one on the big clonetrooper war machine that takes down the trade fed command sphere in AOTC. One long concentrated beam. I always felt all the blasters should have worked like that. Sure it's less fun but otherwise where's the heat required to actually do any damage if the beam is so short and brief?

I'm no laser expert but from watching science programmes and seeing lasers up close in my theatre work, the whole laser sword and laser blaster thing doesn't work for my mind.

Darth Instigator
07-05-2006, 10:18 AM
With a name like Instigator, I can't help but study the cut of your jib to see if an old friend does not lurk among us. ;)umm I dont get what you mean but I have been a member here but changed it, it was previously Mikecp 421 but with owning my own forum and admin of a few others I didnt want this one to come up in searches of that username as this is a more private hobby I dont share with those people on those forums so much.