PDA

View Full Version : Country Music is the Work of the Devil

jjreason
07-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Who but Satan could be responsible for the absolutely abysmal tripe that is "Honky Tonk Padonkadonk"? Discuss.

JimJamBonds
07-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I agree, however the one thing that country music has given us "Whiskey for my men and beer for my corpses."

bobafrett
07-03-2006, 08:03 AM
One name comes to mind. Billy Ray Cyrus

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2006, 08:10 AM
I agree, jj. But, I'm a recent convert to the House of Country.

The radio in my office only gets the local country station, so my options are pretty limited. Yes, I do have AIM Triton with XM, but I'm much too lazy.

So here I sit for 10 hours a day listening to country. I must admit that I like about 75% of the songs. Further, I consider myself a Brad Paisley fan now (for a redneck, that fella can SHRED). I feel that many of their topics are trite and overplayed. Yes, you love America! So much so that you probably use American flags for curtains. We get it. Now gimme back my songs about swillin' whiskey and beatin' your wife. Thanks.

But more on topic, "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" by Trace Adkins blows. I'm embarassed for him every time I hear that song. Even the line "Slap yo Grandmaw" doesn't bail that song out.

El Chuxter
07-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Country music is the devil. Except for Kris Kristofferson. I ain't saying he beat the devil, but he stole his song, and he drank his beer for nothing. :)

I admit to listening to a little country, but nothing recent. Well, aside from Shooter Jennings, who is a chip off the old block and is probably shunned by country radio because he's too "rock." Mostly it's Kris, Johnny, Willie, Waylon, and Hank (Senior, of course) for me.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, aside from Shooter Jennings, who is a chip off the old block and is probably shunned by country radio because he's too "rock."
Interesting. One of the things I don't like about modern country is that a lot of it seems to be trying to be more "rock". Only the slide guitar, twangy vocals, and subject matter differentiate a lot of country songs from rock songs. I'm not familiar with country music these days other than some of the names or the artists. I do enjoy a lot of the older stuff, prior to 1980, as that was music I heard a lot when I was young. Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Merle Haggard, Charley Pride, and a lot of the tunes you might find on one of those Time-Life classic country collections.

Phantom-like Menace
07-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Mostly it's Kris, Johnny, Willie, Waylon, and Hank (Senior, of course) for me.

I strongly agree with the first post and the above quote, though you'd have to add Johnny Cash to the above, and that was before the movie, I swear.

Oddly enough, as much as I hate and despise Toby "Freedom Fry Eatin'" Keith, "Whiskey for My Men, Beer for My Horses" was okay (probably due to Willie's input), and I actually really liked "I Ain't As Good As I Once Was."

Edit: Of course going further back, I'm never going to dislike Patsy Cline.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by El Chuxter]Mostly it's Kris, Johnny, Willie, Waylon, and Hank (Senior, of course) for me.I strongly agree with the first post and the above quote, though you'd have to add Johnny Cash to the above, and that was before the movie, I swear.

Johnny Cash transcends mere humanity. Cows worship him, and iguanas advise him. When he got to Heaven, Jesus asked for his autograph.

I'd disagree that modern country is trying to be too "rock," at least what I've heard, and given what I consider rock. Most of it's trying to be too pop, or bad early 80s carp rock (think Christopher Cross, not The Cars). No matter what you call it, it sucks, though.

Patsy, Marty, etc--yeah, the old stuff's mostly good stuff. We may as well throw Loretta and Dolly in there, too. Anyone hear Loretta's Van Lear Rose? Sweet tapdancing 2-1B in a tutu, that was a great album.

Phantom-like Menace
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Johnny Cash transcends mere humanity. Cows worship him, and iguanas advise him. When he got to Heaven, Jesus asked for his autograph.

I completely missed that you included him. I do apologize. Completely missed it. We, then, are in complete agreement, totally sympatico.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
I'd disagree that modern country is trying to be too "rock," at least what I've heard, and given what I consider rock.Since I don't actually listen to country music much at all these days, I can't really say for sure, but I know I've heard a lot of songs that seem to be rock-like in terms of seeming a bit more loud, with harder drums and perhaps some more guitar distortion and such. All that I can think of at the moment for an example would be the chorus of that "Rodeo" song by Garth Brooks. Of course, that song is already several years old now.

Patsy, Marty, etc--yeah, the old stuff's mostly good stuff. We may as well throw Loretta and Dolly in there, too. Anyone hear Loretta's Van Lear Rose? Sweet tapdancing 2-1B in a tutu, that was a great album.I've heard good things about it. Plus, Jack White worked on that album. I've not heard anything from it though.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 06:57 PM
If you're the downloading sort, I would certainly not discourage checking out "Portland Oregon", ""Have Mercy", or "Mrs Leroy Brown" from that. Of course, every track on that album kicks arse.

Darth Instigator
07-26-2006, 07:30 PM
I like alot of country music and many many other genres too

bigbarada
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
My all-time favorite songs:

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
Hank Williams Jr. - A Country Boy Can Survive

:pleased:

I also loves me some Bluegrass: Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs.

:pleased: :pleased: :pleased:

shammykenobi
07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey big barada I see that you like Ralph Stanley...I'm originally from the same town as Ralph Stanley...a little place called Coeburn, VA...the last time I was there I saw Ralph in Walmart...anyhow, I like Ralph Stanley alot too...my mom even got his autograph for me at Captain Dee's seafood...lol

And as far as Johnny Cash goes...I swear he's a good friend...seriously, my grandmother had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery and I had to drive over six hours to go visit her...I was scared and the whole trip home all I listened to was Johnny Cash and it was like a good friend was riding in the car with me...can't explain how much I miss him. Merle Haggard is some good stuff too.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-26-2006, 10:10 PM
I also loves me some Bluegrass: Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs.

On the rare occasion that I listen to country music on the digital music channels on cable TV, I'll turn on the bluegrass channel or classic country channel before I'll put on the modern country channel.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Ralph Stanley still gives me chills whenever I hear "Oh Death" from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack.

I have to recommend June Carter Cash, too, and not just the duets with Johnny. Press On and Wildwood Flower are the only two CDs by her I have, but they're both excellent. Her version of "Ring of Fire" from Press On tops even Johnny's version by a mile. Just an old woman with a creaky, yet haunting, voice, accompanied by an autoharp. It's beautiful.

shammykenobi
07-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Don't know if you know it or not chuxter, but June Carter Cash wrote "ring of fire" for Johnny...I like her version too...Oh death by Ralph Stanley was especially haunting...but he has other stuff too that's not that depressing...he did alot of stuff with his brother, Carter back in the 60's...Carters dead now, but their music is as good and timeless as anything else.