PDA

View Full Version : For the married (maybe w/kids) collector

jedi-cpa
07-04-2006, 08:34 PM
OK, I am hitting dillema time here. And am looking to see how some collectors in my boat deal.

I have my entire collection in one bedroom currently. Collection consists of all vintage items (OK not all, missing blue snaggle and vlix, but otherwise...) out of package and all 1995 and thereafter figures, vehicles etc from the 3 3/4 line.

I also have all hamilton plates, those are in the closet packed away in this bedroom. I have other stuff too, but that is the bulk of it.

The room is beginning to bust. And Hasbro doesn't appear as they are stopping. Additionally, no kids yet, but someday, this room is earmarked as a kids room.

The wife has always been cool with the collection, however has made it abundantly clear that once the room is occupied by a child, it goes in the basement or attic...attic is not climate controller at present and basement is a workshop currently and unfinished.

Are you or have you been in a similar situation and if so your resolution?

jedi-cpa
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Sorry, I stink.

Kidhuman
07-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Ok, I am in the same situation. I have a 3 bedroom place right now. I have all my stuff in totes in closets. I do however have some stuff out for display. I have a bookcase in the bedrrom with the Unleashed on it and some other stuff. I also have Legos at the computer desk.

We have agreed, when we buy a house that I will get my own room or the basement for display. The wife has been cool with that since day 1. I hate having it packed up, but right now its the only thing I can do with having 2 kids and them occupying the other rooms.

bobafrett
07-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm not the one to answer as almost every room in my house has Star Wars toys. I did have a female room mate, and her son, at another 3 bedroom apartment. My collection was small enough then to keep everything in my bedroom, but that was 5 years ago. I don't know what I would do if I found a woman willing to put up with my collection, let alone have another kid. My son now is 15 and I doubt I will be wanting to have anymore offspring anytime soon or ever.

Banthaholic
07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Me and my wife lived in a 1 bedroom place for a bit. At that time my collection was all boxed up awaiting a home. Nothing sucked more than finding cool stuff looking at it then boxing it up.

Last year we moved into a 2 bedroom place. It was a requirement of mine. So one bedroom was for us, the others for my collection. even with a whole room, there is not enough room and I have to pick and choose what to display. Seems to be working alright at the time, but we have no kids now. When we do not sure what'll happen, though odds are we'll be wanting a house sooner than later anyhow. Though it's been discussed when we do buy a home a room/basement will be mine for the taking.

jedi-cpa
07-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Has anyone had experience doing an attic (extreme temps) or basement (Moisture).

I would obviously do things like vents in the attic and dehumidifier in the basement...but still. Anyone have this experience?

sith_killer_99
07-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Well, my collection has grown over the years. About 2 years ago I ran into the problem of where to put it all.

I ended up going with a climate controlled storage unit. They had different sizes from $30.00 per month and up. I ended up getting a larger unit $60.00 per month, because I use it to store other stuff.

Anyway, that's what worked for me. I did a lot of searching on the forums and spoke to a lot of different people. I heard horror stories about flooded basements, sun bleached figures from the attic and a mix of both from non-climate controlled storage sheds.

The way I see it, $30.00 a month to protect the collection is a small price to pay, or $60.00 in my case.

I plan on setting it all up in the house once we buy one. Hopefully that will be soon.:D We're going to look at houses when we get to Fort Hood.:thumbsup:

DarthBrandon
07-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I store mine in big giant rubbermaid tubs that site in a huge closet collecting at room temp with no dust, water or any of that stuff that could harm a collection. From time to time I take the collection out to check on it, but to date I have not had any problems with it.:thumbsup:

jjreason
07-12-2006, 10:47 AM
It's all about communication. If you express to your partner that it's important to you to have some/all your stuff out for display, maybe you can work out some sort of agreement as to what will happen should Jr. make an appearance.

Make a list of options - can you live with some, all or none of it packed away?

Can you afford a bigger place or a storage unit?

Can she live with the stuff out, in plain view of her and everyone else that comes over?

I think most partners live under the assumption that our hobbies are a passing fancy - that the stuff will disappear after a few years once you get bored. Since that's not going to happen in many of our cases, we owe it to the partners to sit them down and explain to them what we want/expect to have happen with the collection eventually.

pegger
07-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I "rotate" my collection...

I have 1 "curio" cabinet in the living room that is full of figs - and every couple of months, I take them down, and put others up. My wife does roll her eyes at me when it's "play day" (as she calls it) - my son loves it - I get him to help.

The rest are in rubbermaid totes in the garage (but I'm an open displayer)

When we get a bigger house ( 3 bedroom right now) it is agreed that I will get a Star Wars room.

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
I put all of my stuff in Slicker's storage unit.

Kidhuman
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I put all of my stuff in Slicker's storage unit.

Dont talk about his mom like that

vader68
07-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I have all my stuff in rubbermaid containers in the basement. I also run a dehuimmidifier in there. I used to have all my stuff displayed in a finished part of the basement, but when the kids came along that became a play room and everything got packed. when I get a bigger house I will bring out and display my sw stuff again. only up high so the 3 kids don't grab everything

Rocketboy
07-12-2006, 11:37 PM
The room we have our computer in is basically my room. It's where I keep about 99% of my geek stuff (PS2, books, toys, comics, ect.). Some of my stuff is boxed up in a closet and some is still at my mom's house.

Qui-Long Gone
07-22-2006, 11:25 AM
I had a compromise that has worked out well....

I gave my daughter about 10 figures (of doubles) because she was wanting to open my stuff....this has faired well because we're back in school and funds are short....but now that my kid wants her own stuff we sometimes double up (one for me, one for her)....trust me the argument works better with my wife now that our child wants to collect....

I bought a three shelved cabinet with a class door and set up about 100 loose figs and kept about 10 unopened in my closet door. I originally was going to keep everything in the box, but it took up too much wall space on our last two places and I hated packing them away in rubbermaids....why own 'em if I can't enjoy them?

timmae
07-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Dont talk about his mom like that
thats not right.

i had to pay for storage for over 2 years too. that and a uhaul for 450 miles. the way i look at it now, $100 of my mortgage is like storage. still need to unbox and get rid of some (a lot)though. too many cool figures to pass on nowadays.

wedge1968
07-23-2006, 07:37 AM
I am in this boat. When my wife and I moved to this house, we each had a room to ourselves. Then, the first kid came, and we had to share a play room. Then, the second child came, and most of my stuff came into the (very crowded bedroom). Then, my wife demanded a dresser, so I bought a bunch of pegs like they use in stores and put them higher on the walls. Also, my wife is now pregnant with twins, so she keeps saying that the bedroom has to be emptied out more so that she can put a cradle in there.

We are facing serious problems in the near future. I've already put most of my vehicles in a little closet in the basement, and we still have no relief (more and more keeps coming out).

We will probably have to buy a new house in the next couple of years, but even then, I don't know how much room I'll have. I am also thinking about a storage unit, but funds are scarce now and are destined to get worse for at least a year...