PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar

Rocketboy
07-06-2006, 12:03 AM
I thought there was a thread on this already (maybe it was at swc)...

Anyone watch the premiere?

So far, so good, IMO. Overall, there seems to be a better crop of singers this year. The few stinkers will hopefully be gone pretty quickly (and probably shouldn't have been on to begin with).

Based on the first episode, I liked:

Dana ("I'm the Only One") - hopefuly she sticks around for a while. Great voice with lots of potential - and she's pretty hot.

Dilana ("Lithium") - The best hard rock chick on the show. Wasn't too crazy about her wild chicken dancing she was doing though.

Lukas ("Rebel Yell") - With his look, I expected some lame @ss emo-esque performance, and I have never liked that song, but the guy just rocked Billy Idol!

Toby ("Knockin' On Heaven's Door") - With such an awesome acoustic version (which was probably a bad way to start a show called ROCKSTAR), I can't wait to see him rock out.

Jenny ("How You Remind Me") - Great voice and great version of a terrible song. Can't see her winning though. Not sure she'd fit in a true rock band.

Josh ("She Talks To Angels") - Again, not sure how well he'd fit in, but he was damn good.

JimJamBonds
07-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I thought there was a thread on this already (maybe it was at swc)...

I think its called Rockstar Season II here at SSG.

El Chuxter
07-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I caught the last five minutes or so ("Rebel Yell" and a godawful take on "Roxanne"). I knew of Gilby Clarke (one of the most underrated guys in rock music, IMHO), Jason Newsted, and Tommy Lee. It looks like Dave Navarro is in the mix, too, along with some other guy I couldn't place. Are they in the band, too? If Gilby, Jason, Tommy, and Dave were to record an album, it could have freaking Tiny Tim on lead vocals and I'd be first in line to get a copy. :)

I'll never understand when "background" guys who are quite capable of singing pick lead singers to overshadow them. Gilby's a fine singer. If you don't have Pawnshop Guitars, find a used copy NOW. And pick up Izzy Stradlin's 117, too, which is even better.

Rocketboy
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Dave Navarro is not in the band, He's the other Host.
As for that other guy, he was a producer. I think he's the new group's producer.

figrin bran
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
the version of roxanne seems to have gotten quite a bit of flak and from the panel on the show too. while it isn't a song i would want to pick personally since it's so hard to pull off, i think the guy should've been given bonus points at least for not attempting a straight up cover and butchering the song in the process. i mean, if you're gonna butcher, at least do it on your own terms right? ;)

El Chuxter
07-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Eddie Murphy already covered Roxanne. :D

Rocketboy
07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
After such a strong premiere episode, last night was really weak.
There were only 2 good performances, IMO.

And they really need to get a larger selection of songs - Coldplay, Nirvana, and the Rolling Stones again?
Also, it's called ROCKstar, why give them Creed to sing? It's not Popstar.

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 11:31 AM
I gave up after the first few performances.

The one stupid talentless girl who ruined "You Really Got Me"; who claimed to have never heard a record by Metallica, GNR, Motley Crue (or, by extension, Flotsam & Jetsam, Slash's Snakepit, Gilby Clarke, Methods of Mayhem, or any of the other dozen names Tommy Lee's released solo albums under) because she was "in diapers" (meaning she'd be around 10 years old)?

Yeah, she needs to win. . . a swift kick in the arse. :rolleyes:

figrin bran
07-12-2006, 11:53 AM
i'm giving up on the show too. Rocketboy, i believe the contestants pick their own songs. otherwise it was pretty cruel for the supernova guys to pick duran duran's "planet earth" for the guy that got eliminated and then lambast him for his song choices.

i think they've already made up their mind that the Lithium girl with the sith eyes will win.

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Too bad. Last night was the first time I was glad both Johnny and June were dead. They didn't have to hear her destroy "Ring of Fire."

Rocketboy
07-13-2006, 12:25 AM
The one stupid talentless girl who ruined "You Really Got Me"; who claimed to have never heard a record by Metallica, GNR, Motley Crue (or, by extension, Flotsam & Jetsam, Slash's Snakepit, Gilby Clarke, Methods of Mayhem, or any of the other dozen names Tommy Lee's released solo albums under) because she was "in diapers" (meaning she'd be around 10 years old)?She should have gotten the boot in week one after making "Bring Me To Life" even worse.

i'm giving up on the show too. Rocketboy, i believe the contestants pick their own songs. otherwise it was pretty cruel for the supernova guys to pick duran duran's "planet earth" for the guy that got eliminated and then lambast him for his song choices.I'm pretty sure its like last year - they (someone behind the scenes - not the band) give the group a handfull of songs and they get to fight over the one they sing/butcher.

i think they've already made up their mind that the Lithium girl with the sith eyes will win.It's either her or Lukas, the elfish lookin' guy that killed with Billy Idol in week 1.

Too bad. Last night was the first time I was glad both Johnny and June were dead. They didn't have to hear her destroy "Ring of Fire."Even though that wasn't that great, sadly, it was one of the better perfromances last night.

Rocketboy
07-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Double Post. Sue me.

Supernova is suing Supernova (http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060712/en_tv_eo/19477;_ylt=Air3wba_n_uVXKWpF48OzrtpMhkF;_ylu=X3oDM TBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA)

"Rock Star" Rocked by Lawsuit Tommy Lee (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Tommy+Lee)'s new star may fizzle before it fully gets to shine.

The Orange County-based band Supernova has filed a complaint alleging unfair competition and trademark infringement against Mark Burnett Productions, CBS and the other minds behind the competition show Rock Star: Supernova. Lee, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke and former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted are using the on-camera opportunity to choose the next hot, yet appropriately surly, young thing to front their new band.
Which is also called, um, Supernova.
Rockstar Entertainment Inc., Lee, Clarke and Newsted are all named in the suit, as well, which was filed June 27 in U.S. District Court.
The original Supernova--bassist Art Mitchell, drummer Dave Collins and guitarist Jodey Lawrence, who joined the band in 1994 (the rest got together in 1989)--is looking to keep Lee and his heavy metal cohorts from using the name and to bar the CBS show from using it as part of the Rock Star title.
The Pop as a Weapon musicians are also seeking the destruction of all "labels, signs, prints, packages, wrappers, containers, advertisements, electronic media and other materials bearing the Supernova mark." (Unless it's their own, of course.)
The punk trio are also demanding that Rock Star's producers "publish clarifying statements that [the show] is not associated with [the original group]," stating that the defendants ignored the fact that the Supernova name was unavailable for outsider use.
Per the lawsuit, Burnett's company filed seven U.S. trademark applications to corner the name Supernova, as well as two more for the title Rock Star: Supernova.
"Our clients believe they have the superior right on the mark Supernova," the band's attorney, John Mizhir, told the Associated Press Tuesday. The group "has a long-standing common-law trademark right to the mark."
Gary Hecker, a lawyer repping Mark Burnett Productions, said that his client has the legal right to the now-controversial name and that "the complaint is without merit." He added that because the various defendants have not yet been served with the lawsuit, they "do not have an obligation" to respond.
Meanwhile, despite the fact that Rock Star had only a so-so premiere on July 5, attracting about 5.4 million viewers, the old Supernova is claiming that its future income will be compromised by the CBS show because the program will intentionally interfere with the band's business relationships. The group also stated its concern that consumers seeking out its recordings and merchandise may mistakenly purchase the newly formed Supernova's stuff instead.
Two days after the band filed its complaint, Art Mitchell told MTV News that he wasn't sure what to make of the show.
"We definitely put the spaceship in neutral, but we never called it quits," he said. Mitchell said that Supernova, which has put out three albums and performed at two Warped Tours, had four shows booked in July and August. Their tune "Chewbacca" played in Kevin Smith's Clerks.
"It's like when you're a little kid and the bully down the street steals something from you and you don't do anything about it," Mitchell said. "But we're going to go kick some butt, dude. They probably figured we're clerks, but our drummer, Dave, is a lawyer."
The drummer/attorney concurred. "You can't just waltz up and use our name," Collins told MTV News before the suit was filed. "We're willing to fight for our name, our band. We have trademark rights to the name and we can prove those rights."

figrin bran
07-13-2006, 02:08 AM
so they'll just change the name to Suepernova? :p

i tuned in for a little bit. i shouldn't have because i saw that ford taylor hicks commercial described in another thread. i've now seen it 4 times tonight.

El Chuxter
07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Maybe if they hire one of the guys from the original Supernova to sing instead of these losers?

I've just got a visual on Newsted making one of his scary faces and playing an evil bassline while someone screams, "Chewbacca!!! Rrrraaaaarrrr! What a Wookiee!!"

figrin bran
07-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Maybe if they hire one of the guys from the original Supernova to sing instead of these losers?

hey, take that back! don't you remember how Lee (or was it Gilby or Newsted) said "None of you are losers!!!" ;)

El Chuxter
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I guess if you've been in a band with W Axl Rose, everyone else is a winner by comparison.

figrin bran
07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
so there's a rule whereby they have to pick either a nirvana or a stone temple pilots song? if i wanted to hear those, i could just turn on the local alternative station!

figrin bran
08-03-2006, 01:35 AM
is anyone still watching?

and why has zayra managed to avoid the hatchet week after week?

Rocketboy
08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
is anyone still watching?

and why has zayra managed to avoid the hatchet week after week?I am, and I have no idea why Zayra is still there.

What was the band's reason for kicking off Dana? I missed the end because my local station thinks that every thunderstorm means the Armageddon is upon us and they need to break into programming for 20 f***ing minutes. :frus:

She had a great performance Tuesday and I was shocked that she was in the bottom three and from what I saw I thought she was best of the bottom three.

figrin bran
08-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Rocketboy, i thought dana's rendition of "baba o'riley" was great! the band's "reasons" for kicking her off were that she's still too young, still too much to grow. whatever i guess.

Rocketboy
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Rocketboy, i thought dana's rendition of "baba o'riley" was great! the band's "reasons" for kicking her off were that she's still too young, still too much to grow. whatever i guess.Ah, bull****. They praise the living crap out of her, telling her she's improved every time, then kick her off the next night.
And somehow Zayra is still there.
:rolleyes:

figrin bran
08-17-2006, 02:24 AM
zayra's finally gone!!!

i'd say that dilana has to do a serious choke job to not win at this point. and you gotta love how lukas always looks like he's going to cry whenever someone else gets picked to do the encores.

i love radiohead but for the love of rock, i wish they would stop singing creep on this show. try fake plastic trees or lucky or 2+2=5.

Rocketboy
08-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Thank God Zyara is gone!
I still don't understand how she survived week 1.

I agree on the Radiohead. Enough is enough. Same for Nirvana.
The also need more actual ROCK music. Way too many old songs and way too many softer rock songs.

figrin bran
09-07-2006, 03:13 AM
i thought that storm's performance of "wish you were here" was really top notch. nice to see a heartfelt performance on this show devoid of all those excess theatrics like climbing on top of pianos or amps. but i guess with lukas and dilana being 2 of the frontrunners, they felt they had no choice but to send her packing.

Rocketboy
09-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Are the guys f***ing deaf?
They picked the hobbit that sounded like Cookie Monster?

Well, unless they can pull some magic in the studio, thats $12 I won't be spending.

El Chuxter
09-13-2006, 11:39 PM
I gave up on the show long ago. Even the combined might of Gilby, Tommy, and Newsted couldn't lend credibility to that bunch of twerps.

Maybe the album could be instrumental?

figrin bran
09-14-2006, 02:03 AM
i wasn't going to buy the album anyways but i especially won't now.

i'll bet that a third of the way into the tour, lukas is going to damage his vocal cords.

basically they knew all along they wanted to pick him...next season i'll wise up and not watch any of "rockstar: seven mary three". nor will i watch "rockstar:candlebox" the next year.

Rocketboy
09-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Good news for Supernova...and bad news for Supernova:

Judge Orders Tommy Lee's Supernova To Change Name
Lyndsey Parker Wed Sep 13, 8:00 AM ET

When the finale of Rock Star: Supernova airs tonight on CBS, it may be the final time we hear the name "Supernova" associated with the new band featuring Motley Crue's Tommy Lee (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Tommy+Lee), Guns N' Roses' Gilby Clarke (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Gilby+Clarke), and former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted.

The three metal men began searching for a singer for their new project earlier this summer, on the second season of Rock Star (season one was launched to find a replacement for late INXS frontman Michael Hutchence). And pretty much since Lee and company announced that their new supergroup would be called Supernova, a California-based punk band by the same name has been trying to stop them.

The original Supernova formed in 1989 and released three albums in the '90s, including one on major label Atlantic Records; they are probably best known for contributing the song "Chewbacca" to the Clerks soundtrack. And now, after filing for a preliminary injunction protecting their name, they have officially triumphed in a California court.

A California judge ruled today--ironically while the Rock Star: Supernova finale was being taped nearby--that Tommy Lee's reality show band must find a new name, because an established recording artist called Supernova already exists.
"The ruling is a major victory for Supernova, especially since it has been announced on several occasions that our client's case had no merit," the original Supernova's attorney, John Mizhir Jr., told Billboard. "This is sweet justice. The order also proves that the law does not discriminate. The band members have worked hard for the past 17 years to establish the name Supernova and they are entitled to continue to perform without any other parties--large or small--infringing on their rights."

Now that Tommy Lee's band is forbidden to use the Supernova name for performances and recordings, we'll have to wait and see how this affects the Rock Star finale that airs tonight, or the group's already-booked North American tour that kicks off on New Year's Eve in Las Vegas.http://news.yahoo.com/s/launch/20060913/en_launch/35689819

figrin bran
09-15-2006, 02:46 AM
they could always go with the 90's rock alternate spellings

soopernoovah.

or something like that.

they won't have this problem next season with Rockstar: Blind Melon.