PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Antilles Nominated for an Emmy

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Wedge Antilles Nominated for an Emmy

Actor Denis Lawson, who portrayed Rebel Alliance pilot Wedge Antilles in all 3 original Star Wars movies, was nominated today for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries.

The 58-year-old Scottish actor portrayed John Jarndyce, 1 of the main characters in the BBC/PBS adaptation of Charles Dickens' "Bleak House", which garnered 10 Emmy nominations in total. Lawson's nomination as Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie is perhaps a bit unusual since the role is the lead character in Dickens' tale of woe in the convoluted legal system of Victorian England.

Lawson - whose nephew, Ewan McGregor, portrayed Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi in all 3 Star Wars prequels - played Wedge Antilles, one of Luke Skywalker's wingmen over the first Death Star in A New Hope, and is the only Rebellion pilot to fight in and survive all 3 of the Star Wars original trilogy's major battles. Over the years, the character of Wedge Antilles has become a favorite with Star Wars fans, playing a significant role in the Expanded Universe.

The 2006 Primetime Emmy Awards will be held on August 27th and will air live on NBC. Congratulations and best of luck to Denis "Wedge" Lawson.

2-1B
07-07-2006, 01:29 AM
I wouldn't dare refer to Denis Lawson as Wedge since he's too good to sign anything Star Wars related.

I hope he loses.

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Ouch! Guess he can take you off the christmas card list. ;)

Personally, I don't understand why fans make such a big stink about this, if someone doesn't want to sign their signature on a bunch of stuff, so what? It's not like they can use YOUR hand to do it.

2-1B
07-07-2006, 03:16 AM
I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with someone not wanting to sign...but when they DO sign with the EXCEPTION of Star Wars merchandise, I find it laughable.

I believe the phrase is "Mr. Lawson does not sign Star Wars items." Uhhh, yeah, okay Denny, like your autograph is that valuable to the scalpers out there. :rolleyes:

Who does he think he is, his nephew? lol

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 02:28 PM
With SW, once you go in for a penny the fans demand you go in for a pound, or maybe he's like Ewan and hates that his signature can be sold on ebay rather than just enjoyed. I hear he did Wedge's voice for Rogue Squadron II, so I don't think he's a hater the way Alec Guinness was.

2-1B
07-08-2006, 03:52 AM
eBay is full of preprints and downright forgeries so it's always funny to hear a celebrity talk about how they don't want their autograph to end up on eBay...when the truth is that most of the stuff on eBay is **** in the first place. lol

If someone writes to a C List actor from SW, I think it's a safe bet that they're writing for the enjoyment you mentioned. The way I see it, if someone is pathetic enough to ask for a freebie just to sell it off, well why not cut out the middle man and just start selling forgeries? :crazed:

JediTricks
07-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Because most people don't want to risk going to jail, especially when a forgery is so easy to confirm on the web.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
How so?
The FBI estimates 90% of online autographs to be fake (this according to Official Pix, who have something to gain from such a fact if true :crazed: ) so by that number, I would just assume all are fake...but really, how can you confirm that many of them are fake? Look at H Christ's signature, it's such a sloppy scribble that it can't be hard to fake in comparison to the authentic ones that Official Pix sells.

I hate forgeries, the whole thing just sucks. On a related note, I hate the idea of secretarial autographs, too. I understand that many celebs are too busy to sign, no doubt about it, so why send out faked autographs that you paid someone to sign? :confused: I'm fine with sending out preprints, totally understandable, but why secretarials? :(

I'm looking forward to more back and forth posting with you JT, with no interruption from other forumites. :D

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 03:38 PM
What was said was "an estimated 50 to 90%" from a recent FBI San Diego field office report, a report which has been misused to put fear into customers by a lot of other sites reporting "FBI says 80%" and even "over 90% fake!!!", as you pointed out, to extract more money from them.

I've seen a lot of really obvious fakes on ebay, all you have to do is either search more ebay or check the web and you'll generally find the real signature which looks nothing like the chicken scratch you're willing to pay $50 for. Maybe some are harder than others to authenticate, but I notice most folks don't even do the simplest of research. Also, most buyers aren't willing to do/pay what it takes to ensure the autograph is genuine, either by a photo of the celebrity signing that actual item or something more credible than some fly-by-night's worthless COA.

And I don't even collect autographs, the only one I have is from Weird Al, I saw him and his wife in a record store and let him know how much my family are fans (I mentioned "UHF" and didn't get much of a response, I mentioned how often we watched "The Compleat Al" and that turned the tide to my favor :D).

I dunno, I wouldn't hold it against Denis Lawson about this, I didn't hold it against Guinness either and he was a real SW hater, it's their performances that matter to me. It's the ones that bilk the collectors for excess cash for an autograph and are still rude about their signatures, that really burns me.

Poor Denis Lawson, nobody cares that he's nominated for an Emmy.

Slicker
07-09-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm looking forward to more back and forth posting with you JT, with no interruption from other forumites. :DInterruption...

2-1B
07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
It's the ones that bilk the collectors for excess cash for an autograph and are still rude about their signatures, that really burns me.

Peter Mayhew comes to mind. :D

That's awesome that you saw Weird Al, nice get there. :)

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Peter Mayhew was indeed who I was thinking about when I wrote that. I haven't had any personal experience with him, but I've heard too many stories that make me sad.

Hey, what was that interruption a moment ago? Oh well. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
07-09-2006, 08:37 PM
If I am not mistaken, Lawson also read several audio books of EU novels. Well, maybe not several. I was just looking it up now and only found Heir to the Empire. So maybe I was mistaken. Never mind me, just another interruption.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot all about him reading Heir to the Empire but now that you say that MSP, I can totally recall him saying "Captain Paelleon" (sp?). :)

I remember not knowing how to pronounce it when I read the book so it was interesting to hear DL on tape...not to mention some of the other effed up names from that book that I couldn't pronounce. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
07-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot all about him reading Heir to the Empire but now that you say that MSP, I can totally recall him saying "Captain Paelleon" (sp?). :)

I remember not knowing how to pronounce it when I read the book so it was interesting to hear DL on tape...not to mention some of the other effed up names from that book that I couldn't pronounce. :DI wouldn't always trust the pronunciations in the audio books, though. I have the Dark Empire dramatization on CD. I actually heard it before I read the comic. I thought it was pretty good the first time I listened, but it seemed a bit silly when I listened a couple years later. In it, I think they pronounced Coruscant as CORE-us-cant, so that it rhymes with ant, pant or rant. This was done before TPM was released, so they didn't know how to pronounce it yet. They did have the voices of Billy Dee Williams and Anthony Daniels, but it seems as though all that Billy Dee Williams would ever say was "Han, how you doing you old pirate."