PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Men

pegger
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
OK - last night they had Mystery Men on TV. Since I love this movie, I had to watch it again - and again (probably the 20th time I've watched it) I laughed my behind off.

I just had to post that this is one of my top 10 films. Original idea, funny, good story line, great characters (I mean - who can't love the Blue Raja, or The Spleen) Even the villians were hilarious ("your name is the 6 almost dead guys who are just getting a temporary repreive")

I wish they would make figs!!!

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
They did make figures, 8" figures from Playing Mantis, I bought The Bowler because it was a Janeane Garofalo figure, but the whole line sucked. They made Mr. Furious, The Shoveler, The Spleen, Captain Amazing, the Blue Rajah and The Bowler.

El Chuxter
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a thread on this somewhere. I say so because I seem to recall starting it. ;)

This is one of the most quotable movies ever.

"Hey, Dad, I'm going up to my room with three strange men."

"I. . . am. . . Ballerina Man!!"

"You might want to put some shorts on, if you'd like to continue fighting evil today."

"As I recall, there was some controvery surrounding his death."
"Yeah, the cops say he came home late one night and fell down an elevator shaft, onto some bullets."

I love that movie. I want to reinstate the Mystery Men avatars now!

plasticfetish
07-06-2006, 05:22 PM
but the whole line sucked.What? Why?

That was a fun line of figures! I mean, okay, I got all of them on clearance, but they weren't bad at all.

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Sculpting was awful, figures were too big and poorly articulated, paint apps lacked all subtlety, they were overpriced, and did I mention that the sculpting sucked? ;)

plasticfetish
07-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Oh... they weren't that bad. It did help finding them all on clearance though. :)

pegger
07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a thread on this somewhere. I say so because I seem to recall starting it. ;)

This is one of the most quotable movies ever.

"Hey, Dad, I'm going up to my room with three strange men."

"I. . . am. . . Ballerina Man!!"

"You might want to put some shorts on, if you'd like to continue fighting evil today."

"As I recall, there was some controvery surrounding his death."
"Yeah, the cops say he came home late one night and fell down an elevator shaft, onto some bullets."

I love that movie. I want to reinstate the Mystery Men avatars now!

I also like Waffle Man - Waaa-ffle Maaaan. who bashed evil in the head with his waffle iron, or burns them...and the truth syrup in regular and lite.

AND - "I guess I'll just take my ball and go home."

And when they are traveling to Heller's and singing "Hello Dolly" in the car...

oo - and "there's not enough beer in the world"

I never saw the figs. But if they sucked....

El Chuxter
07-06-2006, 06:05 PM
The only one I ever saw was Captain Amazing. Sucked doesn't begin to cover it. :(

pegger
07-06-2006, 08:48 PM
...they need a sequel...

but smartly it will never happen...

Rocketboy
07-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't remember much about Mystery Men, but I do remember hating it.

bobafrett
07-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Ben Stiller was in it if Memory serves correct. I don't know, I kinda liked it.

JimJamBonds
07-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Ben Stiller was in it if Memory serves correct. I don't know, I kinda liked it.

Yes Ben is in it, I loved his 'super power.' All in all its not a bad flick but its nothing special.

UKWildcat
07-06-2006, 11:48 PM
I don't remember much about Mystery Men, but I do remember hating it.

I have never seen this movie as a lot of people told me it was awful. But now I'm hearing otherwise, for the most part. I think this was even brought up in the "WalMart cheap bin finds" thread. It sounds like a movie people either love or hate, kinda like The Cable Guy, so I guess I will just have to watch it sometime and form my own opinion.

2-1B
07-07-2006, 12:08 AM
I hated Mystery Men when it came out and I hated it when I gave it another chance last year.

I loved The Cable Guy and still do.

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
I loathed this movie when we saw it in theaters, and over the years I've tried to get it other chances but it still sucked pretty bad, some interesting ideas and a very interesting look but questionable directing, script, and casting.

And the figures were horrendous. :p

plasticfetish
07-07-2006, 03:50 AM
The Cable Guy is a very very funny movie.

I think for what it is, Mystery Men is really good. I think the cast was great... Hank Azaria, Greg Kinnear, William H. Macy, Janeane Garofalo, Paul Reubens, Geoffrey Rush, Ben Stiller and Tom Waits to name a few. It's a silly idea, not a blockbuster, but fun for what it is.

...and the figures weren't that bad. :)

El Chuxter
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Come on, people, how can you hate a movie with the lines:

"Why am I doing this?"
"When you can balance a tackhammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a well-balanced attack."
"And why am I wearing watermelons on my feet?"
"I don't remember telling you to do that."

If you have the DVD, check out the deleted scene of Blue Raja, Mr Furious, and the Shoveller trying to locate the Sphinx in a Mexican restaurant. The other extra scenes are okay, but that one is freaking hilarious.

pegger
07-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Come on, people, how can you hate a movie with the lines:

"Why am I doing this?"
"When you can balance a tackhammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a well-balanced attack."
"And why am I wearing watermelons on my feet?"
"I don't remember telling you to do that."

If you have the DVD, check out the deleted scene of Blue Raja, Mr Furious, and the Shoveller trying to locate the Sphinx in a Mexican restaurant. The other extra scenes are okay, but that one is freaking hilarious.

"Sometimes, it is the brave man that knows when it is time to run away."

Rogue II
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Mystery Men wasn't bad. Has anyone seen The Specials (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181836/)? It is a cross between Mystery Men and Spinal Tap. Like Mystery Men, it isn't for everybody, but I thought it was pretty funny. I only saw it once or twice and haven't made the effort to get the DVD yet.

2-1B
07-07-2006, 11:31 AM
So then you're saying The Specials is half-genius and half-horrible? :confused:
lol lol lol

No, I haven't seen it but that's going on my Netflix queue right now since James Gunn wrote and stars in it. :) Thanks, Rogue 2. :)

JediTricks
07-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I think for what it is, Mystery Men is really good. I think the cast was great... Hank Azaria, Greg Kinnear, William H. Macy, Janeane Garofalo, Paul Reubens, Geoffrey Rush, Ben Stiller and Tom Waits to name a few. It's a silly idea, not a blockbuster, but fun for what it is.

...and the figures weren't that bad. :)They *were* that bad! :D When was the last time you actually saw them? Maybe you're viewing them through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

Anyway, your point "for what it is..." brings something up for me, they had a pretty decent budget, a great art director, a really good cast, but it came out mediocre because it's an "eh" movie but from a "wow" set of circumstances. Analogy: anybody can make $15 million dollars out of $20 million, sure $15 mil looks impressive but once you know it came from $20 mil it's a lot less impressive. -or- even a McDonalds' hamburger can taste ok, but if you learn that it took them 3 pounds of top kobe beef to make it, it's not really that good anymore.

I think the movie stinks on its own and it's the directing and acting faults the whole way through, to me it comes off sloppily acted and directed, and extremely self-indulgent, especially with the thinks-its-pointed satire and schticky physical gags and go-nowhere story. Ultimately, I think it had potential and squandered it.