PDA

View Full Version : What the He** happened at WM?

Kidhuman
07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
I went into WM tonight and headed to the toy asile to pick up some stufff for JJReason and Darth Instigator. To my shagrin more than 3/4 of the SW merch was gone. All the VTSC, all the Titanium gift packs and Figures. I couldnt find them anywhere. I asked the person in toys and they said they packed em up and didnt know if they were shipping them back or holding them for clearance. Sorry Darth Instigator, they got rid of the 5 pack you needed.

They took down the stuff and replaced it with Superman returns stuff, which already had an island display and now takes up 1/4 the action figure wall.

Has this happened anywhere else?

lordtomm
07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
I have three WM by my house and they all showed a decrease in space in the toy isle, one even had no SW in there toy isle for 2 months. but i did recently notice SW stock returning

Banthaholic
07-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I have a feeling Superman stuff will be warming. Maybe Wal-mart over-estimated their ordering and thought Superman would be the 'it' toy of the summer. From my local scene experience POTC and Cars are hard to find, but Superman doesn't get touched much.

Kidhuman
07-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I have a feeling Superman stuff will be warming. Maybe Wal-mart over-estimated their ordering and thought Superman would be the 'it' toy of the summer. From my local scene experience POTC and Cars are hard to find, but Superman doesn't get touched much.

I think the same. Superman stuff is way too much. Didnt they learn anything from the Spidey 2 toys? How can you have 36 variations of Superman and two villians?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Thankfully, neither of my nearby WMs have gotten rid of any SW stuff yet. The regular WM has fewer spaces than the Supercenter but that's always how it is.

figrin bran
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
my local WM has been my one stop for the tatooine wave and so i hope the same thing doesn't happen there.

kh, you should know better than to ask anyone working in the toy dept!

Banthaholic
07-06-2006, 10:04 PM
I think the same. Superman stuff is way too much. Didnt they learn anything from the Spidey 2 toys? How can you have 36 variations of Superman and two villians?
And before Spderman 2, the Hulk stuff had the same fate. Like you I can't see the thrill on 6 different supermans than two 'other' characters. Shows how we are really spoiled getting the background SW's figure we do.

Jango Speck
07-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Here in L.A., I haven't seen any "other" character toys for Superman- not a single Lex Luthor, or Lois Lane- just tons of stupid variations of Supes. Honestly, how much fun is a Superman doll without a villain to fight against?

bobafrett
07-06-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't know, my store hasn't clearanced anything out yet. We still have the same stuff we have had over the past several months

TheDarthVader
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
? I will have to go by my WMs to see if this has happened.

DarthQuack
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Target has had Superman stuff on clearance well before the movie even came out, that stuff doesn't sell for crap.

timmae
07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
all the WMs in charlotte are loaded with superman. all have the same sw pegwarmers too.

Luuuuuuke
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
The Wal-Marts in my part of L.A. seem to have a ton of Star Wars stuff, just not much of anything I want. The Baldwin Park Wal-Mart had tons of VSTC and Saga, but no Biker Scouts or Sandtroopers. They did have a lot of the new Millenium Falcon Transformers and those Titanium exclusives with the 4 or 5 ships, I forget how many.

JediTricks
07-06-2006, 11:57 PM
I was at WM last week and tons of SW. I noticed they were getting ready for mid-summer reset (early Back to School, they've been out a whole week!) so maybe it's part of that.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2006, 11:07 AM
The 2 W*Ms near me have moved the SW section to the dreaded "side aisle" along the wall. It gets junked up more easily because there's less room to put figures, and of course the pegs are jammed with 2 too many cards each. But, their selection has been decent. If only I was still buying everything Hasbro produces... :rolleyes:

Banthaholic
07-07-2006, 11:53 AM
How many different version of Superman are there? I went to Walmart today and counted no less than 7 on the pegs, yikes...

LTBasker
07-07-2006, 07:40 PM
After going to 4 Wal-Marts today, it seems the exact opposite has happened. The tatooine wave had shown up a couple times here and usually when they did it was only a case if even that. These were multiple cases put out and they were such a flood that they had to stock the figures on other SW pegs that were empty.

UKWildcat
07-07-2006, 08:53 PM
The WM here still has their SW section intact, if you want to call it that. It's the same as it ever was.

Darth Instigator
07-08-2006, 07:16 AM
awww man! Can anyone get me the empire 5 pack? this is disheartening.

TheCivilCollector
07-08-2006, 07:27 AM
The Duarte WalMart (LA area) had lots of SW (Tattoine), and lots of Superman, too.

Has anyone else noticed that the new Superman figure looks like Jerry O'Connell?

Kidhuman
07-08-2006, 07:45 AM
awww man! Can anyone get me the empire 5 pack? this is disheartening.

sorry dude, I wish I could help you. I am going there later today, maybe they put em back out or they hit clearance, will let you know. I am curious myself.....

Darth Instigator
07-08-2006, 08:08 AM
ok thanks.

JediTricks
07-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the new Superman figure looks like Jerry O'Connell?Not seeing that at all... ok, maybe a little from the left.

Kidhuman
07-08-2006, 06:19 PM
And they still havent put the stuff back out, clearance or not....grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dark Marble
07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
What is the empire 5 pack? My WM here seems to be stocked.

Kidhuman
07-08-2006, 09:43 PM
It is the titanium 5 pack with the Raw Metal Death Star, Shuttle, At-At and 2 other vehicles.

Darth Instigator
07-08-2006, 11:26 PM
yes if you can get one there lmk, please. I passed up on it and have regretted it since and now cant find one, but I got that 6" AT-AT kid, it came 1 day after I ordered it, good look on the vendor.

Kidhuman
07-08-2006, 11:45 PM
My pleasure. You should have drove there instead of getting it shipped unless you live on the other end of the island

figrin bran
07-09-2006, 12:38 AM
i visited my two local WM's today and both had quite a lot of tatooine figures - no sandtroopers but everything else.

i can't believe it - panorama city wm, often described in the l.a. thread as being a third world country is actually getting remodeled.

Jango Speck
07-09-2006, 01:25 AM
i can't believe it - panorama city wm, often described in the l.a. thread as being a third world country is actually getting remodeled.

You know what? That store was once shiny and amazing (I'm assuming) when if first opened. Remodelling will only make it nice for a few months, then it'll turn to crap just like every other retail site in that neighborhood. It's a shame that a business/community can allow itself to become so filthy. Just next door to that WM, there's a huge piece of vacant land that used to be a major shopping mall, and several restaurants. It's been abandoned for years- not a single sign of new tenants. The old buildings are nasty- should've at least torn them down and left it as a parking lot or something. Just look at NoHo Target- they're at the tail end of a big remodel, they even have a Starbucks inside now- but I have no doubt that by Christmas, you won't even notice the difference.

The nice thing about these hell-holes? They have some good SW stuff most of the time. It's when you finally break down and go there, and find nothing good, that you feel embarrased for even trying.

Darth Instigator
07-09-2006, 09:15 AM
My pleasure. You should have drove there instead of getting it shipped unless you live on the other end of the islandyea I am on the other end, and to drive there is quite a trip, woth gas prices its probably cheaper to have it shipped

Dark Marble
07-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I think that my WM here might have tons of the 5 packs, I will check next time I am out there if you still want it.

Darth Instigator
07-09-2006, 12:16 PM
yes please, the empire ships though, thanks

Dark Marble
07-09-2006, 05:15 PM
yes please, the empire ships though, thanks

I made it out to Walmart today and there were tons of the Imperial 5 pack with the "raw metal" death star. Is that the set you want???

Darth Instigator
07-09-2006, 10:33 PM
yes please tell me you got one for me, I will owe you big time!

figrin bran
07-10-2006, 12:24 AM
if Dark Marble is unable to get it for you, i might be able to find one of those sets for you.

Luuuuuuke
07-10-2006, 12:36 AM
The Baldwin Park Wal-Mart had about 40 of Empire sets, and the number isn't exactly shrinking.

They also had tons of VSTC, every peg full, but not a single biker scout. I'm not even looking for Scouts anymore, having 8 of them, but it's always reassuring to see a at least one or two on the pegs.

Dark Marble
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
yes please tell me you got one for me, I will owe you big time!

No problem, the Walmart here has had them around for a long time. I can pick it up for you today.

Darth Instigator
07-10-2006, 12:21 PM
cool, lmk how much I need to send you when you get it, I am not concerned about the box being mint so the cheapest shipping will be cool, thanks again. PM me for the rest of the deal

Patient Zero
07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Strangely enough, my local WM was stocked to maximum over the weekend. They even had several Codys who I've never even seen before.

Darth Jax
07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
i rarely visit walmart, preferring the relative cleanliness of target. i did wander through the wallyworld on the way home from work today, same old displays as always. pegs still completely full (and dropping onto the floor) with lushros and hem and garidan. same old unleashed battlepack first releases and tons of custom choppers, nothing else of note.

on a side note, what percentage of vehicles in the walmart parking lot have been abandoned? when you walk around the parking lot (i always park way, way out there - the walks good for ya), you see lots of vehicles that don't look road worthy: massive amounts of body damage, missing/broken windows, 2 or more donut spares.

JON9000
07-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I honestly don't have any idea what sells and what doesn't, but the Transformers, Unleashed Battlepacks, Lightsabers, Titaniums, and Choppers are *always* filled to the brim at Wal-mart. I think the 3 3/4 selection has been hurt by Hasbro's efforts to broaden the line. There's only so much shelf space for SW at Wal-mart, and we aren't in 1995 anymore when that was the only thing going. the Transformers in particular are pretty large for pegged items. Thankfully, my TRU still has a rather large section devoted to Star Wars, but even there only a third of the pegspace is devoted to figures. (Which hasbro might actually pay for).

I hope and pray that TRU keeps its doors open. Toys are their bread and butter whereas at WM they serve as more of a confectionary, an impulse purchase by a drive-by mom. I think that's why they wanted the all-star line up, because they want lots of figures that kids recognize. That's also why they give strict priority to toys that are supported by current movies.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 05:30 PM
I was at WM yesterday, they had a ton of pegs for SW and then 2 more sidekicks full of Tatooine-wave figures. Yet the Transformers section was nearly bare.

JON9000
07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I suppose it just goes to show that there can be wide differences between stores and between regional tastes. :confused: